Gears of War PC

7.8

1. strangerdanger
    Jan 27, 2008
    as has already being said, formulae does not work well for pc. premise is go into small areas, take cover, then shoot, pause for cutscene, go into next area then repeat. you'd think come on theres GOT to be something more to the game cos its got a overall 8+, but thats it. thats ALL there is to this game. graphics and environment is well polished and vv nice but gameplay is bland.as has already being said, formulae does not work well for pc. premise is go into small areas, take cover, then shoot, pause for cutscene, go into next area then repeat. you'd think come on theres GOT to be something more to the game cos its got a overall 8+, but thats it. thats ALL there is to this game. graphics and environment is well polished and vv nice but gameplay is bland. probably the blandest and most mindnumbing gameplay ive ever encountered. Expand
  2. FistroD.
    Dec 3, 2007
    Boring game, nice graphics but too dark and repetitive for me. Nothing changes the first impression of gameplay out of ideas, to make things worse aiming is awful. Bottom line: mediocre.
  3. AdrianD.
    Mar 3, 2008
    Couldn't play through the whole game - started off promising, but the fights are dull and predictive, and the visual style gets tiresome to look at after a while. The fine details in the environment and characters are noticeable, but that's all that's original about this game. This should be given for free as a tech demo for their engine - I wouldn't pay any money for it.
  4. EricEdmond
    Sep 24, 2009
    Well I got Gears of War the other day from Gamefly. And to be honest, I didn't particularly care for it. It was just boring to me, the storyline what little of it I saw was dumb, the acting seemed terrible, the cover system sucked (I got killed so many times because the cover was so random on giving/allowing me to hide behind an object). I didn't even bother finishing it. I onlyWell I got Gears of War the other day from Gamefly. And to be honest, I didn't particularly care for it. It was just boring to me, the storyline what little of it I saw was dumb, the acting seemed terrible, the cover system sucked (I got killed so many times because the cover was so random on giving/allowing me to hide behind an object). I didn't even bother finishing it. I only got to about the 3rd level or so before I gave up on it. Expand
  5. Sep 4, 2010
    I really don't understand all the fuss about this game. The graphics were kind of nice I guess, but everything else was quite underwhelming. The game crashed several times while I was playing and then wiped all my progress. All in all I found the whole game quite a chore and very frustrating. I was glad to finish it, so that I would never have to play it again.
  6. Jul 13, 2013
    I really expected better game from Epic Games. Story is really cheese and characters are a bit meh. If you expect game of UT 2004 quality you will be really disappointed.
  7. Aug 22, 2014
    M$ does make a good decision in further development of this franchise. Mediocre, repetitive, corridor and cover based TPS should be just left for the xbox console kiddie to enjoy. This is a kind of relief and salvation for the PC community. Disappearance of such kind of mindless TPS franchise in PC is a welcome move.
  8. Pontifex
    May 5, 2008
    So I bought this awful game on spec from the meta-score solely, before examining the user scores more closely. One mistake I won't be repeating. As the disparity between the Xbox and PC user scores will illustrate, this is a pretty good shooter for the XBOX, where they don't have any to compare it to. It compares favorably with Halo, but has been wearisomely flogged in other So I bought this awful game on spec from the meta-score solely, before examining the user scores more closely. One mistake I won't be repeating. As the disparity between the Xbox and PC user scores will illustrate, this is a pretty good shooter for the XBOX, where they don't have any to compare it to. It compares favorably with Halo, but has been wearisomely flogged in other forums; Halo is mediocre outside the confines of its fan base and Gears of War rates _lower_ than it in every way. The video effects are surprisingly good for such a game. Things look pretty nice, no where near as good as Halo, Bioshock or Crysis; But given the other down falls I was seriously expecting Doom graphics. The terrain look fairly nice, when the graphics are cranked up and the enemies look pretty nice for the shallow automatons that they are. The main characters look decent, if reminding the author of apes or overly developed babies. In the course of the game I had to marvel at how how round and soft the game's sole black character looked. He look as if he was a large toddler with veiny arms. Disturbing to say the least. The sound effects are fairly decent, if half hearted in comparison with the sole focus of development: The combat system. The voice acting is terrible and one dimensional, but I won't take the game to task too harshly for this as the game is quite playable with the sound muted. No ambiance and no character development is lost. The combat is quite adequate with sound either on or off. It was about the third repetition of Expand
  9. Johnc
    Feb 25, 2008
    I was expecting great things from the cover system...but it sucks!. It's just so restrictive to constantly have to be hitting the spacebar to go in and out of cover stance--otherwise he's glued to his cover. This should all have been done automatically and free up the player for strategy. Also this game is plagued by the heinous windows live system. Which has generated no fewer I was expecting great things from the cover system...but it sucks!. It's just so restrictive to constantly have to be hitting the spacebar to go in and out of cover stance--otherwise he's glued to his cover. This should all have been done automatically and free up the player for strategy. Also this game is plagued by the heinous windows live system. Which has generated no fewer than than 119 pages (and counting) of crash reports on the the epic games forums. How typical of Microsoft to use people who paid $50 as beta testers for their new compulsory system. Expand
  10. Feb 10, 2013
    I cannot understand why people like this game. The story line is lackluster. The combat is repetitive with little variation. The only variation is with the enemies tactics. The AI team mates obviously have downsyndrome as they try to rush into enemy turrets and get instantly whacked. The weapons are pathetic. While having a chain sword attached to my gun is cool the mechanics behind itI cannot understand why people like this game. The story line is lackluster. The combat is repetitive with little variation. The only variation is with the enemies tactics. The AI team mates obviously have downsyndrome as they try to rush into enemy turrets and get instantly whacked. The weapons are pathetic. While having a chain sword attached to my gun is cool the mechanics behind it make it almost worthless. The body armor the characters wear is worthless and most assault rifles are the equivalent of a pellet gun to the enemies (campaign). They say use the shotgun, but a game that forces one to use a single weapon isn't worth ones time. Despite every ones 'glorious reviews' the game is simply a sub-par shooter that is not worth any ones time. You might like it, I think it is personally over-hyped, over glorified, and sub-par... Expand
  11. RoyE.
    Jun 3, 2008
    Terrible game. I have absolutely no idea why the critics adore this wanna-be-2008-doom game, and succeeding, with absolute boredom. After playing COD4 and Crysis, this game was deleted from my computer 3 minutes after I finished playing with it. I'd rather poke me eyes out and fill it with lye than playing this game again!
  12. BobP.
    Dec 10, 2007
    Another in the line of overhyped 360 games that really aren't fun at all. Very pretty game, but the gameplay is just plain boring. Take cover, shoot blindly, run to next cover, repeat.
  13. Kevin
    Jan 6, 2008
    This game illustrates the difference between console and PC gamers. Gears doesn't really require much thought at all- its very repetitive, and not really any fun. Not to mention the story is very unimaginative. Don't bother with this game.
  14. JamesL.
    Feb 13, 2008
    I have to argue with Zach's comment about the cover system. Many of other games have a better "cover system" that doesn't require that you get into any fancy stances. Andrew G. made a great point: if life were entertaining, we wouldn't need pretty games :) In the end, a game is only as good as it's entertainment and longevity. Gears Of War was half way there with I have to argue with Zach's comment about the cover system. Many of other games have a better "cover system" that doesn't require that you get into any fancy stances. Andrew G. made a great point: if life were entertaining, we wouldn't need pretty games :) In the end, a game is only as good as it's entertainment and longevity. Gears Of War was half way there with entertainment, and nowhere with longevity . Expand
  15. Rob
    Jul 14, 2008
    The atmosphere and environments are really cool but thats about all thats good about this game. It plays like a kiddy console game. I mean there is ammo laying around everywhere and none of your squad can even die. There are lots of invisible barriers reminiscent of older low budget games. The stuttering, crashing and loss of game saves are inexcusable for any game. Too bad Epic doesnt The atmosphere and environments are really cool but thats about all thats good about this game. It plays like a kiddy console game. I mean there is ammo laying around everywhere and none of your squad can even die. There are lots of invisible barriers reminiscent of older low budget games. The stuttering, crashing and loss of game saves are inexcusable for any game. Too bad Epic doesnt give a crap. Expand
  16. nick
    Jan 5, 2009
    There is really nothing new or amazing about this game other than the hiding beind cover part. your allies are idiots and the enemies have xray vision and im not kidding about that you could hide behind a giant wall and the enemy would come up and the a second before he passes the wall he magicaly knows your there and will punch you in the face which paralyzes you and then shots you to There is really nothing new or amazing about this game other than the hiding beind cover part. your allies are idiots and the enemies have xray vision and im not kidding about that you could hide behind a giant wall and the enemy would come up and the a second before he passes the wall he magicaly knows your there and will punch you in the face which paralyzes you and then shots you to death. this game follows in the long line of 360 games that are rated m but is made for 8 yr olds, and who buts a chainsaw on a gun its plain stupid you can barely use it without getting killed. the develpors focused to much on the blood instead of fixing the ai problems or the weapons. Expand
  17. TB
    Nov 14, 2007
    Awful, clearly made for a console... Space to hide behind a wall, right mouse to come out, left click to shoot the bad guys. Repeat 1000 times and you're done.
  18. AnonymousMC
    Dec 11, 2007
    The game is at least interesting in its own right, and the gameplay elements (cover system and grenade trajectory system) the game just has too many bugs to be considered fun. I tend to spend more time dealing with crashes than I do actually playing the game. Additionally, do not believe the system requirements. The requirements listed are the bare minimums. In order to play this game, youThe game is at least interesting in its own right, and the gameplay elements (cover system and grenade trajectory system) the game just has too many bugs to be considered fun. I tend to spend more time dealing with crashes than I do actually playing the game. Additionally, do not believe the system requirements. The requirements listed are the bare minimums. In order to play this game, you need a system that can handle Crysis at near max. As a final note, this game may run decently on Vista (I have noted that Vista Ultimate users have the best luck with getting this to work), Gears just does not run properly on a XP based system. I recommend that you wait for additional patches before buying this game. Expand
  19. AndrewG.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Complete agreement with the comment below - pretty, polished high-production values - but dull, on a level that is becoming lost of game developers. Graphics do not make a game interesting. Otherwise 'life' would be interesting. :)
  20. JanZ.
    Nov 26, 2007
    Very stereotype game with bad story.
  21. HenryJ.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Don't believe the hype. It's a boring shooter no new ground. A 'certain' game developer company is going to be given great reviews no matter what they produce. Just look at the difference between the reader metascore and the official metascore on this game.
  22. Bullett
    Feb 17, 2008
    I got this game after I had read all the great reviews for the PC version and thought it might be worth trying a definative console shooter. What a piece of junk. Why is the character off to one side of the screen? animation was now well put together and made me feel sick. I had to constantly adjust my position. The "cover system" is in place I think becasue console players can't I got this game after I had read all the great reviews for the PC version and thought it might be worth trying a definative console shooter. What a piece of junk. Why is the character off to one side of the screen? animation was now well put together and made me feel sick. I had to constantly adjust my position. The "cover system" is in place I think becasue console players can't cope with the concept of hiding. Menus are designed for a xbox pad which is sloppy. Live is a joke, only telling me I can't save after I created a profile that was apparently offline then not letting me create an online one. It gets one because what I saw of it was pretty. But I only saw less then 10 minutes because I couldn't take anymore. Avoid. Expand
  23. KenM.
    Mar 14, 2008
    It's all been said. I'm not bitching about hardware issues or bugs. It played perfectly. It was just rubbish. Like a pop up wooden bad guy SAS training sim level. The taking cover thing is dire. One key to take cover? What about moving behind cover as in COD4. This game annoyed me because I buy after reading reviews. They all lied. This is a worthless game.
    Nov 11, 2007
    Buggy, barely runs when it decides to load...I guess they wanted a few thousand Beta testers for free!
  25. ChrisM
    Sep 19, 2009
    Hearing that this was SUPPOSED to be a great game, I bought a used copy of it to try it out. 2 painful days later, I returned it. I seriously don't understand the hype associated with this piece of crap game. It's one of the most overrated games of all time, in my opinion. Not one ounce of fun to be had playing this game. Avoid at all costs!
  26. MessiahLee
    Nov 8, 2007
    Oh, look at that. All of the critics aren't hyping this one up anymore despite their claims that it's superior to the 360 version... Gee, I wonder why? Maybe it's because the game wasn't so hot in the first place? Possibly one of the most derivative shooters ever made... Wait for the bargin bin.
  27. VaemerR
    Feb 26, 2008
    I played this game for pc at the lan center I work at and it just doesn't stack up to the other games that we have. The first week we got it people tried it out and then decided that we had better games.
  28. JeffJeff
    Mar 15, 2008
    This game was just awful. Horrible movement, terrible controls, no first person option, crap burst mode on the basic weapon, sluggish, gimmicky, confused, nonsense. This was NOT a first person shooter. This was NOT a PC game. This was NOT PC quality. This was a bad port of a mediocre console game. Yeah, I can see console puppies getting wet over this, but then they don
  29. Sandy
    May 25, 2008
    I played this game and i was completely awed at it's magnificence.....best game I've played in a long time.

1. With upgraded graphics, exclusive campaign chapters and a handful of new multiplayer features (handled through Games for Windows Live), Gears of War is a very desirable shooter.
    While all the added content is damn good, ironically, the greatest gameplay addition to this PC port is also responsible for one of the bigger annoyances: the interface.
  3. Gears of War on the PC is still the same ground breaking game it was a year ago just now on the PC. The same innovative gameplay and breathtaking events are included along with five new campaign levels exclusive to the PC.