Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved PC

8.6

1. DanielI.
    Jul 1, 2007
    Very fun and quite extreme after a few minutes, the game pulls some clever tricks that makes you scream and hit the bomb button in the hopes of lasting several more seconds! Steam version works fine in XP, plus used a Logitech controller, works perfectly.
  2. RickD.
    Jul 1, 2007
    Very classy arcade game with beautiful modern retro visuals. Runs fine on XP too! Hugely addictive, challenging to the extreme but rewarding in equal measures. worthy of praise from Ceaser.
  3. RichardF.
    Jul 1, 2007
    I played this game on the 360 till my eyes bleed and I'm so glad its on pc. It's also a good warmup for CSS. AWESOME !
  4. JamesR.
    Jul 8, 2007
    Longevity of playing this would be huge if I was any good at it. My highest score so far is 110,450 about. Maybe I need more practise... However, this game is a superb Retro re-do of an Old classic. Big Pretty Colours is what makes this game most attractive, and the low system specs is possibly what gets everyone buying. if only the command and conquer series had this many pretty lights.
  5. SpauldingS.
    Sep 10, 2007
    So simple yet so addictive. Once I started to get in the high 700,000 - 800,000's there was always that nagging feeling after I finished a game for just "one more". Great buy.
  6. DonaldB.
    Jan 13, 2008
    Best game since arcades were put in the mall! This little game is extremely addictive!
  7. MatveiS
    Mar 25, 2008
    Geometry Wars plays great with keyboard and mouse, much easier then with an xBox controller (in my opinion). It is very addictive and intense game. Once you get past 200k point mark, things get really hectic with hundreds of units chasing and hundreds more spawning all over. It's great fun. By the way, contrary to what some reviews say this game DOES run on all versions of Windows XP Geometry Wars plays great with keyboard and mouse, much easier then with an xBox controller (in my opinion). It is very addictive and intense game. Once you get past 200k point mark, things get really hectic with hundreds of units chasing and hundreds more spawning all over. It's great fun. By the way, contrary to what some reviews say this game DOES run on all versions of Windows XP as well as Vista. Expand
  8. NicholasC
    Jan 7, 2009
    Great game. The rounds aren't particularly long, but you'll eventually find yourself playing "just another round". Looks great on larger monitors too. The integration with Steam (pretty much the only way of getting the game) is pretty poor though. The game runs all right, however there are no internet scoreboards, no achievements, no extra playmodes and no two-player games.
  9. AdamS.
    Oct 18, 2007
    Has to be one of the most addicting games I've ever played. I just can't stop playing it!!!
  10. StenveH.
    Jun 22, 2007
    It is addicting and fun. After about 2 minutes its pretty hellish, this game is very fast paced.
  11. ChrisJ.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Simple, very challenging, and very addictive.
  12. JohnB.
    Jul 11, 2007
    I love this game on 360 but it took the PC version with mouse and keyboard to bring me past the million mark. only 16 more to go to catch up with karnage.
  13. JasonW.
    Aug 25, 2007
    Best played on the PC with a Xbox 360 controller. There seems to be some subtle differences between the Xbox and PC versios - I think the PC version might be easier...Great for a short, sharp bout of blasting.
  14. LeeW.
    Sep 12, 2007
    I've never played the Xbox 360 version and have heard it's better, but this game is hands-down a total blast. What I don't understand is the critics who give it a low score because they expect epic storylines and next-gen graphics from a four-dollar arcade game. Geometry Wars might be cheap, but you'll find you'll stil be playing it long after you've lost I've never played the Xbox 360 version and have heard it's better, but this game is hands-down a total blast. What I don't understand is the critics who give it a low score because they expect epic storylines and next-gen graphics from a four-dollar arcade game. Geometry Wars might be cheap, but you'll find you'll stil be playing it long after you've lost interest in some 60-dollar shooter. Expand
  15. JavierD.
    Sep 13, 2007
    The game is extremely addictive!
  16. BoneCollector
    May 21, 2009
    It is a nice arcade game, it has firework looking explosions glowing snakes that attack you, smart enemies and a warping grid background. Great game to play when you need something fast. I use a cheap gamepad controller and it works great, change the controls to fire with the correct buttons.
  17. SamB.
    Nov 18, 2007
    A great game. Calling this game rubbish for not having a story-line or anything other than one mode of play is silly - it costs a 15th of the price of many games. It's like critisising Toy Story for being childish; what more where you expecting?
  18. ShahriarS.
    Jun 28, 2007
    This fast pased addicting old school arcade game is the perfect addition to your set of games, its very gun, and you always have to play one more time.. great game for any age.. Extreamly diffucult after a few minutes of play, but in the end, a very solid game!
  19. AndyG.
    Jul 18, 2007
    Absolutely amazing on the 360 and am so happy it made it on to the PC. I can finally play it in the office.
  20. TimP.
    Jan 29, 2008
    Great game except that it doesn't work with a Logitech wingman extreme (one of the most popular gamepads ever sold for the PC.)
  21. TylerS.
    Dec 23, 2007
    Greatest game for its price.
  22. DX9
    Feb 7, 2012
    From an unknown indie developer comes Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved. Although having been released some four to five years ago, it was only after some investigation that I discovered this little gem on the Steam store... and I was not disappointed! Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved's premise is simple: using a self, newly-coined phrase, it's a "twin-stick-shooter", whereas you control some kindFrom an unknown indie developer comes Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved. Although having been released some four to five years ago, it was only after some investigation that I discovered this little gem on the Steam store... and I was not disappointed! Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved's premise is simple: using a self, newly-coined phrase, it's a "twin-stick-shooter", whereas you control some kind of spaceship with the keyboard or left joystick on a compatible Xbox 360 controller in one movement, and shoot with the mouse or right joystick in any direction you wish, not necessarily in the direction your ship is currently facing. A base number of bombs -- used to wipe out the screen of enemies when things become too hectic -- accompany the player. And that's it.

Whilst there's no story at all, you soon realise -- or forget to, since the game becomes crazy extremely soon, thereby distracting you from realising -- that there doesn't need one. It's fine the way it is. It works well with the graphics it has. It works well with the lack of storyline. And it works extremely well with the music that accompanies it. As for the AI? Fantastic.

With its "pick up and play" attitude, get this game up as soon as possible. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved is a classic example of "easy to learn, hard to master".
  23. Jun 29, 2013
    For how simplistic the game mechanics are, this game is a HUGE triumph. Don't expect a story, characters, online play, nor a vast array of PC configuration options. That being said, the game is still addicting and ramps up quickly after about 5-10 minutes of gameplay. You will find yourself trying to beat your own high scores in this arcade game, and it has good use as a quick 5-15 minuteFor how simplistic the game mechanics are, this game is a HUGE triumph. Don't expect a story, characters, online play, nor a vast array of PC configuration options. That being said, the game is still addicting and ramps up quickly after about 5-10 minutes of gameplay. You will find yourself trying to beat your own high scores in this arcade game, and it has good use as a quick 5-15 minute time killer. The game supports a vast array of resolutions and has antialiasing and aspect ratio options as well, though I couldn't tell the difference between the two aspect ratio options. Expand
  24. Sep 21, 2013
    Divertido, mas repetitivo.
    O gráfico muito bom e a inteligência aplicada para o game em questão boa. A dificuldade aumenta gradativamente e sempre deve-se passar pelo nível fácil (chato).
  25. Mar 20, 2015
    'Geometry Wars' is a fantastic little dual stick space shooter that feels reminiscent of one of my favorite 'N64' games growing up as a kid, that just so happened to share similar controls; 'Robotron 64'. And for only a few dollars, you too can have the pleasure of destroying flying shapes while avoiding seizures in your own living room. Because the real star of this game is not the tight'Geometry Wars' is a fantastic little dual stick space shooter that feels reminiscent of one of my favorite 'N64' games growing up as a kid, that just so happened to share similar controls; 'Robotron 64'. And for only a few dollars, you too can have the pleasure of destroying flying shapes while avoiding seizures in your own living room. Because the real star of this game is not the tight controls, or the perfect soundtrack, or how addicting this game can get; nope, the real star of this game is the insane visual effects that grabbed everyone's attention when this game was originally released on XBLA almost a decade ago. Sure the servers are no longer up and running, so high scores no longer matter, but that doesn't change the fact that ‘Geometry Wars’ is insanely cheap and will undoubtedly offer it’s value in about an hour of gameplay. Expand

1. Geometry Wars is a classy arcade-style shooter, but this PC release is missing a ton of features that would make it last longer.
  2. PC Gamer UK
    Even more annoyingly, it requires Windows Vista, although there's no real justification for this: it's Direct X 9 and could happily run on XP. [May 2007, p.72]
  3. PC Zone UK