Ghostbusters: The Video Game PC

7.7

1. Jan 22, 2013
    The gameplay is great- wrangling ghosts and shooting particle beams is fun, but it gets old after some time. That, and the fact that the same music from the movie is rehashed on every level (it's fun the first three times or so, but then you get tired of it) are the only downsides. The voice acting is good, the humor is pretty solid, and it's definitely an all-around ghostbusters experience.
  2. EricB.
    Jun 20, 2009
    Terrible gameplay, repetitive and simplistic. Good graphics and ok sound don't help the bad story, bad humor and boring experience. If you're a die hard GB fan, go ahead, but I never really was that big of a fan.. not enough to warrant this tragedy.
  3. jamie
    Sep 5, 2009
    Ghostbusters LOOKS like a great game. But I'll never know - because it keeps crashing to desktop. At first it wouldn't run at at all past the intro screen without lowering the resolution to 800x600. Then it would run until I tried to exit the first room - when it crashed again. After reloading I got past that, then the first time I tried to use my gun - crashed again with gun Ghostbusters LOOKS like a great game. But I'll never know - because it keeps crashing to desktop. At first it wouldn't run at at all past the intro screen without lowering the resolution to 800x600. Then it would run until I tried to exit the first room - when it crashed again. After reloading I got past that, then the first time I tried to use my gun - crashed again with gun sound looping. I'm really disappointed, as I'm old enough to have seen GB when it first came out, and I really liked the look of this game - but as it is, it's unplayable. Note that I don't have a top-of-the-line system, but it IS decent, 4 gig ram, XP SP3, dual core e6650, 250gb sata drive, ati hd3850. My setup handles every other game out there so I'm pretty sure it's the game that's the problem. Very poor quality control, as MANY other users have complained about glitches too. Even a five is generous because until it's patched it's unplayable. Expand
  4. MarkL.
    Jun 17, 2009
    The graphics and game play is really great, but the lack of ANY multi-player or downloadable content is ridiculous. On top of those major deficits, you are required to have an active internet connection to activate the game initially. So in short, don't get the PC port of this game and stick to the console versions. The price cut does not out-weigh its lack of multi-player The graphics and game play is really great, but the lack of ANY multi-player or downloadable content is ridiculous. On top of those major deficits, you are required to have an active internet connection to activate the game initially. So in short, don't get the PC port of this game and stick to the console versions. The price cut does not out-weigh its lack of multi-player functionality or downloadable content. Expand
  5. CareyD.
    Jun 20, 2009
    The single player career was obviously the focus of this game. It seems as though multiplayer was an afterthought. The single player plays like a movie which is great. It takes you right back in time and is true to the world that was created. The upgrades and new technology are fun to get but almost too easily spoon fed to you. A little more freedom such as a spoke and hub type of system The single player career was obviously the focus of this game. It seems as though multiplayer was an afterthought. The single player plays like a movie which is great. It takes you right back in time and is true to the world that was created. The upgrades and new technology are fun to get but almost too easily spoon fed to you. A little more freedom such as a spoke and hub type of system would have added much more interesting gameplay and challenge much like the NES version. I really wish that we could experience this world with 3 other friends cooperatively. The only multiplayer mode I found interesting was the survival mode. The other modes are just ok. Really the multiplayer is a pretty big disappointment to me. Overall, the single player makes this game worth the money. I guess we can hope for updates and downloadable content? Ok, perhaps we better pray. Expand
  6. StudleyH
    Jun 18, 2009
    BEWARE: THE PC VERSION DOES NOT HAVE CO-OP. Don't know why they dropped it for PC but they did. Rent it for your console instead. Game is a blast with friends.
  7. Jun 26, 2011
    Well, to be all honest, I'll choose the original movie over the pc game... Don't get me wrong the game isn't that bad, but there are downsides.... >>>1st: the controls are 'sticky' and it's not easy to control the character. Running seems difficult because you just can't turn quick enough. Also, you can't custom set mouse buttons for 'Jump', etc... >>>2nd: I think having it in 1st personWell, to be all honest, I'll choose the original movie over the pc game... Don't get me wrong the game isn't that bad, but there are downsides.... >>>1st: the controls are 'sticky' and it's not easy to control the character. Running seems difficult because you just can't turn quick enough. Also, you can't custom set mouse buttons for 'Jump', etc... >>>2nd: I think having it in 1st person view instead of 3rd person view would have fit this game better. When it's in 3rd person you have to see yourself and it blocks the view, it's an unnecessary obstruction, and 3rd person decreases performance since the PC has to render the character data along with everything else.... >>>3rd: The game is a bit heavy on my hardware and it made my 9600 GT vCard too hot and caused a shutdown, so far just one time it happened. However, overall performance plays and appears OK (avg 42fps).. OVERALL it's a neat and fun game, but just not one of my favorites.. Expand
  8. Nov 15, 2013
    Surprisingly good but far from perfect. There are no issues with the game mechanics and the actual act of catching a ghost in a trap is fun, challenging and appropriate to the movies. Weirdly the problem lies in the linear content which rarely points you in the right direction, locks you in place and has some rather rum dialogue choices.
  9. Jan 26, 2012
    I want so badly to love this game. On the surface it has everything going for it. The credits read like they were ripped directly from the original film. The plot and dialogue are funny with plenty of great one-liners throughout (especially by Bill Murray). The weapons are punchy and fun to use. Music and sound effects are top-notch. Plenty of fun secrets to find. BUT... It's theI want so badly to love this game. On the surface it has everything going for it. The credits read like they were ripped directly from the original film. The plot and dialogue are funny with plenty of great one-liners throughout (especially by Bill Murray). The weapons are punchy and fun to use. Music and sound effects are top-notch. Plenty of fun secrets to find. BUT... It's the god-awful REPETITION that wounds this game and drags its rating down. Zap and trap ghosts, run around reviving your completely worthless companions, rinse and repeat until a cinematic plays. After you clear your first few rooms of ghosts you'll quickly find yourself wishing you could just skip ahead to the SIGH... Expand
  10. Mar 3, 2012
    There are a few nifty innovations in gameplay, at least for a game based off a movie, and having most of the original cast involved in its development doesn't hurt either; however, this only helps save the game from being totally average.

If possible, I recommend buying a boxed copy of the game if you can get it cheap, it'll allow you to setup a shortcut to lower the game's process priority saving you the trouble of manually doing it each time before a game starts.
  11. Apr 25, 2012
    I absolutely loved the Ghostbusters movies when I were younger, and I still think they hold up pretty good. My personal opinion is that even though the game is quite good, and is written and voiced by some of the original actors, it's not as good as the movies. But with it's own, original story it's not too bad either. If you're a fan - GO! If not you can just as well let this game slide.
  12. Nov 24, 2014
    I had fairly low expectations for this game. I picked it up on sale for £2 to give it a go because I adore the films. Upon getting a few hours in I have found myself to be extremely surprised by just how good the game is.

Graphically it looks lovely (for a 2009 game, at least), and runs smoothly without any issues. The sound, music and voice acting is spot on (all main cast members do the voice overs). It "feels" exactly like you are in a Ghostbusters film. The characters chat and joke with eachother and the humour from the films is here in abundance. The sound of zapping ghosts with your proton pack is pure joy.

You take on the role of a "rookie" Ghostbuster, recruited to help the team. A lot of locations from the original film show up in the game, which are great fun to visit. The combat is refreshingly fun and different.

Although the multiplayer is sadly missing from the PC version (I was very bummed out by this), I can safely say this game is good - great if you are a fan of the films. For the money I paid, it is WELL worth it. If you fancy a bit of Ghostbusters nostalgia - this is the game to play.

Jimbo Rating: 7/10

1. Ghostbusters: The Video Game largely accomplishes what it set out to do by telling a humorous tale and bringing fans back into the fold on the franchise's 25th anniversary.
  2. There are some flaws, including the lack of a local co-op mode, however there is just so much that was done right that you can't help but have a blast. It may not be everything you ever wanted out of a Ghostbusters game, but it's as close as you're going to get to perfection at this point.
    I felt that the game's ending was a bit flat and the romantic interest was forced, but Ghostbusters was fun -- too bad you don't get the multiplayer action the home consoles do.