7.8

1. AWG
    Jul 31, 2013
    Another average indie platformer where pretty good graphics can't really balance a quite dull gameplay. Games like "Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams" are still praised as masterpieces but fact is they are a dime a dozen.
  2. Nov 13, 2013
    Fun platformer with an enjoyable "parallel universe" mechanic. If an old school side scrolling platformer appeals then you'd do a lot worse than pick this up.
  3. Oct 8, 2013
    It's hard to believe that this game's idea originated from Mario... But it did. And I won't say that it's as fun as most Mario games, but it certainly does provide some good fun... plus very hard gameplay at times. The game has great visuals, and a funky soundtrack that goes great with it's premise. Although after a long while, you might get a bit tired of it, but if your a fan of platformers, give this game a go. 7/10 Expand
  4. Mar 13, 2014
    I haven’t finished Giana Sisters: TD yet but got through the first boss. I am pleasantly surprised.

Other reviewers have already covered the basics: it’s a mix of old and new school platforming that does a lot of things right. I’d say it’s comparable to Super Meat Boy but GS:TD is a smarter platformer which much better graphics. There is more you can do in this game thanks to the
    ability switching and thus the levels are more engaging to play through with more secret areas to discover. The first few are laughably easy but before you know it the difficulty skyrockets. This is fine, though, because of responsive controls and a generous checkpoint system. You have infinite lives, too, but dying decreases your score. The music is nice and the changing scenery when switching between sisters looks beautiful. It's also very cheap. You get a whole lot for your money.

The only downside I can think of is that there isn’t anything in GS:TD that keeps me glued to my PC. It’s fun but after beating a couple of levels I am usually ready to do something else, and I don’t see myself shooting for perfect scores or trying hard or uber hard mode (but those things exist if you are so inclined). GS:TD is a title I will keep coming back to and playing in gradual doses rather than something I will devour right away b/c I can’t get enough of it. Still, it’s a high quality, well-made game coming from Greenlight/Kickstarter. Much higher caliber than other indie offerings I have played.
  5. Aug 7, 2013
    A very fun and inventive adventure game. I love how the mechanics work together makeing this game not only entertaining to play, but also difficult in places. Also when you switch between each girl you have different background music which matches the surrounding and the transformation between the two is so seemless too.
  6. Feb 2, 2013
    A confusing amalgam of cotton candy fairy tale visuals and "8-bit hard" gameplay. I purchased this game based on the intriguing visuals and interesting mechanic (ability switching) showcased in the trailer. I was surprised to discover that plot had been completely thrown out (magic portal sucks sisters into fantasy land...and GO!). I had expected something more from a game that seemed to be trying so hard to create a stylistic visual world. At its best, it worked for the first 5 levels. The controls weren't ideal, they felt a bit 'loose'. Hit zones felt off, I had trouble determining exactly how close I could brush against enemies, this issue was compounded by the fact that each enemy has 2 forms. Then level 1-6 happens. You realize that the developers now fancy this game as a tight, die-until-you-get-it-right, ninja-fingers test of controller mastery. The only problems are the controls AREN'T tight, the visuals provide so much interference with the tasks and the completion of segments provide no satisfaction. This game has no "easy" mode. If you can't hack it, you'd better just uninstall it. Expand
  7. Nov 17, 2013
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is a very well done remake, with some modern gameplay dynamics that will appeal the player. It's frenetic, it's hard, it's indie: it's a very good platform game! VIRTUALINN.IT
  8. Oct 13, 2013
    technical Issues 6 ]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All - 7.9
  9. Feb 3, 2013
    What could the people who leave negative reviews for this game possibly want another 20 years.... oh wait an eternity of Mario games with the same concept. "Oh no! Bowser has taken Peach to his giant spiky castle in the lava world or galaxy" Give me a break people. Start thinking outside the box. The world is thirsty for new ideas not the same prequels remakes rehashes ect.
  10. Jan 9, 2013
    Clearly one of the best platformer choices one can make nowadays. The game has good pace and uses very well the switching methods between 2 characters. You will unlikely get bored playing this one. Soundtrack is pure bliss to listen in both world. Highly recommended game.
  11. Oct 23, 2012
    This game isn't bad, but neither is it great. I was hoping for something a long the line's of a more bubbly American Mcgee's "Alice", but what i got was a very gimmicky platformer that focuses more on making you switch "stances" and jumping through hoops than it does on actual quality game design. The art is beautiful for a bubbly game, but by the time i was done with the first level i was already sick of the gimmick. I played 3 levels before quitting out out of boredom with the combat/gimmicks. The biggest problem with this game is that it's a straight up skinner box. There are no alternative routes(other than ignoring gems) or puzzles that i came across(in my short play). Everything was was hoops to jump and rejump through. I imagine anyone from 4-12 would really love this game. They wouldn't catch on or be annoyed by the gimmicks and would love the artwork(It's not too adult or offensive for that age). Otherwise, i think adults will tire of it's lack of innovation and only keep playing it for the well done art and because they want to get through it. This game had potential, and i really wanted to like it. Maybe it will get better later, but i would hold off until a 2.49 steam sale on this one. Expand
  12. Oct 25, 2012
    It wasn't a very good game. The gameplay is average for an indie platformer or I suppose by now I could just say indie game since they're almost all platformers anyways. You get stuck regularly on their inane puzzles and the 'twist' to the game isn't done any better than other better games like Trine, Inversion, or even Outlands all of which feature switching the characters and/or world and do so in a more interesting way. The story is near nonexistent and is nothing new just trying to save your sister or some **** like that.

The graphics and music are both decent and well polished but they don't make up for the mediocre game. The game also felt like a very lazy console port which was disappointing. I can't recommend this game to anybody as if you're looking for a good indie platformer there are countless better games.
  13. Dec 7, 2012
    I think its a good platformer. A great "fairy tale" visuals, nice precise control and charming music. Still game is hard: its easy to complete levels, but getting 5-star rating is tricky.
  14. Jan 10, 2014
    A score of 9 for a platformer seems too much, but, in the end, it gives you what it promised: 40+ hours of fun jumping, changing worlds and... dying. The visuals are very good, not for an indie game, for a platform game of any kind. Music is awesome. Graphics and sound transitions are lovely. One of the things I appreciate more is the difficulty, going from hard to extremely hard in Normal mode. Is like a gold era 2D game but now we have checkpoints and save files, so you can go frustrated, let it for a while, and return when you are ready to the battle. This is a flawless game in its genre, and if you like challenges, you must try this. Expand
  15. Jan 4, 2013
    Excellent. No gimmicks, fluid controls, great gameplay, excellent design, well-managed difficulty (that goes into hardcore difficulty and still cuts the novice some slack) and you'll want to lick the graphics off the screen and stuff your ears full of soundtrack.
  16. Nov 24, 2012
    I wasnt sure what to expect with this new episode of the Giana sisters, the DS one had been disappointing for the level design and low difficulty. Well, that was a pretty ****ing awesome surprise. This game is pretty much a super meat boy regarding the difficulty, though you get regular checkpoints to keep the frustration low. There is actually even ONE thing this game does better than SMB, its the boss fight. They are really cool, especially the last one. Overall the game keeps a nice feeling of very good old school arcade platformer while having really clever level design around the twist of jumping from the dark world to the candy world and using their respective special move. I just could not get enough of just jumping from one world to the other just to see how the environment, ennemies and even music would change. Some ennemies even get different behavior when in dark world or candy world. There s a lot of cool ideas and after finishing the game, I feel a lot of them cool be exploited even MORE. The game deserves either a level editor or an extra level pack. ( dont get me wrong, its not short. You ll have enough for your money especially with the time attack, hardcore and few other modes ). Last but not least, the composer is the same one as for the original giana sister game: the awesome Chris Huelsbeck. Its a freaking honor to have him back and justifies the purchase alone IMO :D
    The remixed versions of his music by Machinea Supremacy in the game kick some serious butt as well.

Definitely the best platformer of the year for me.
  17. Nov 11, 2013
    If you like pressing combinations like jump, switch dimension, jump-glide, switch dimension with exact timing this might be a game for you. I got tired after an hour.
  18. May 25, 2013
    Really fun casual game with a lot of re-playability. The music is great, and the visuals of the game make it a delight to play. A sonic/mario hybrid with its own charm.
  19. Oct 30, 2013
    If you're in the market for an old-school platformer, but would like the option to leave behind the worst of the old-school difficulty, this game needs to be shortlisted.

Excellent music, beautiful graphics, and dead-precise controls. While there's a some pretty obscene hardcore modes for the no-lifers, they're strictly optional. The achievements and item-collecting are everywhere, but
    they don't tie you down from progressing through the game. There's a wide variety of difficulty available, although the game never truly becomes easy.

All in all, beautiful packaging and polish, and a fantastic job of catering to platformer fans of all skill levels.
  20. Jan 16, 2014
    Did not like enough to finish. It got annoying when I tried to dash in one direction but ended up going in another. Also, it got annoying when a dash would either move you too far or not far enough and then end up dying. I also did not like the underwater parts. You go from face-paced action to slow underwater mechanics where you lose your powers. Finally, it was too easy to miss something you are trying to jump on. Something so basic shouldn't be such a pita. Expand
  21. Sep 23, 2013
    A highly dynamic and beautiful platformer. Its gameplay will never let you fall asleep, it contains a variety of difficulties and game modes, so you can find the one that suits you. The game can be hard sometimes,, you can complete it on at least normal mode just by press X to win. A gamepad is highly recommended.
  22. May 5, 2014
    This is what Jump and Run should look,Sound and feel like. A wonderfull Game and a must have for everyone.
    Its hard at the end but not unfair. The OST alone ist worth listening !!!
    Dont Read! go an get it! Collect all the Diamonds....
  23. Oct 26, 2012
    A challenging and beautiful platformer. Exceptional work considering the size of the development team. Only major complaint is the underwater controls (or lack thereof).
  24. May 24, 2013
    Yo cant beat this game for $4, this is just an enteretaining adventure, just like the nes and snes games. Its not a superb game like megaman or demons crest but it does the job well.
  25. Oct 27, 2012
    I absolutely love this game. I am always leery on checking out new platformers because in my experience they have always been hit of miss for me. This one is definitely a hit. This game takes some getting used to the mechanics a bit and can be at times almost throw your controller across the room frustrating, but at the same time it is very rewarding. Getting that jump just right is very important. I have not played this on a keyboard but I am willing to bet is it frustrating, full Xbox controller support though which is great. This game is the kind of old school platformer that we do not see that often anymore, and to get one that is this stylish makes it quite the gem. The game is not perfect, no game is, but it is fun and that is all a game needs to be to get an 'A' rating. Expand
  26. Oct 27, 2012
    So many indie platformers out there.. which ony to play first? This one! Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is an extremely challenging but also very forgiving platformer with a twist. Whenever you want it to, the game changes its music from a bright and sunny world into a dark place with demons for example instead of owls. It does not only affect the graphics and the soundtrack (which changes from retro-ish music by Chris Hülsbeck (the guy who created the music for the original Giana Sisters game in the 80s) to a faster (sometimes) metal-like soundtrack by Machinae Supremacy) but also it does affect the whole gameplay. Normal plants change into spikes or castle gates open to let you advance through the level. And sometimes even secrets are revealed by transforming the world. The level design is astonishingly good. Rich of detail (like really rich, most detailed game I have seen in a long time), cool puzzles, fast-paced (if you want to go for a speed run (or Time Attack mode), cool new game mechanics added every two levels or so... it just never gets boring and the levels get better and better and more varied as you progress but also harder and harder.

Your characters can jump on top of enemies to kill them (the classic way) or you simply dash into them by pressing a button. Another button let's you twirl which makes you stay in the air for a longer time so you can precisely land on enemies or overcome obstacles.

You will also collect gems throughout all the levels. After the first five levels there is a boss fight which is pretty tough but the checkpoint save system of the game is really fair. But after a level you will always get a rating. To unlock a boss level you will need an average of three stars per level.
    You can get up to five stars in every level: Three for collecting gems, two for not dying a lot.
    So even if you die 100 times in a level but collect around 85% of the gems you will still get three stars, pretty fair. But if you want 5 stars you must not die more than three (upcoming patch on 10/30/2012 changes this to five) times.

Why should you want more than three stars? Well, if want to unlock Hardcore mode (only one life per level) you will need four stars in the boss level(s). But other than that it's only for achievements I guess.

Other than that it only lacks a real story. There's around the same amount of story as in Super Meat Boy.. so .. not much. But the game really does not need it. Why 9 ouf of 10 and not 10 out of 10? Sometimes the game gets a little bit frustrating so it can happen that you die like 20 in the same level segment. But still, there are checkpoints and the devs promised more checkpoints and removing unfair placed enemies in a patch coming next week.

The customer support by Black Forest Games is amazing. So far they answered every single question I had, every tweet I made, and I have not seen a single suggestion thread on the forums that has not been commented by a developer. Fantastic work. Also I heard of a free DLC coming... okay, screw it, the game and the company just deseverd another 10/10 user review.
  27. Feb 17, 2013
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams plays reminiscent of an early 32-bit sidescrolling platformer. While it doesn't make much of an attempt to innovate the genre, the game is able to suffice alone on its extremely solid gameplay. Vibrant, dynamically-changing environments in conjunction with a catchy, upbeat soundtrack contribute a great deal to the overall experience to make this one game any fan of the platforming genre should experience. Expand
  28. Oct 23, 2012
    Probably one of the best platformer I played on PC for years. +The twist is awesome as much for the gameplay as for the visuals. +The controls are great.
    +Difficulty is raising progressively.
    +really not expensive for the quality of the game.
  29. Oct 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A was big fan legendary Giana Sisters Cult game. The game did not fulfil my hopes unfortunately. Boring , gameplay, repetitive adversaries. Annoying, gameplay seeming one which cannot be solved many times. Expand
  30. Nov 9, 2012
    I love this game! First off- it is gorgeous. The art makes it a wonderful place to spend some time. Add to that the fun twisting-musical score and you are instantly transported into a world that is worth investing some time in. And, do plan on investing some time because make not mistake, this is a challenging game! As a fan of the old-style Sonic games, I was in platformer heaven! The price is extremely reasonable, and that gameplay itself is responsive, logical and, most importantly, FUN! Highly recommended! Expand

1. May 7, 2013
    Twisted Dreams is as old school as it gets. It’s also long and offers some additional modes for really hardcore gamers who should like Black Forest’s platformer. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.73]
  2. Feb 1, 2013
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams may provide a few hours of polished puzzle-platforming, but don't be surprised if you ultimately end up estranged.[March 2013, p.65]
  3. Jan 19, 2013
    Fans of the Giana Sisters likely Kickstarted this game, thus earning a copy of it in the process. However, for those who don't already own a copy, there's no way that I can recommend it without it weighing on my conscience. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is simply not worth the time.