6.1

1. Jul 28, 2014
    Awful, awful, awful. I liked everything that I heard and read about this game. The dark sci-fi setting, the decision-based point and click, the intense and dramatic music...and then I started playing. I figured, I'm a decent gamer, I'll try it on "original" difficulty. After twelve tries on the first task I gave up and switched to "easy" difficulty, figuring that I was much more interested in the storyline than the gameplay anyway. After six more tries on "easy" I finally made it through the first chapter. I was then introduced to chapter 2, where my character is being interrogated in violent fashion, I was soon informed that I would be performing the same torture sequence TWENTY TIMES! The game actually tells you that you have to survive, performing the same repetitive task, TWENTY TIMES in a row, each one taking about two minutes. And screw up once, you get to go back and do it all over again. The original writing wears itself out once you've read it four times, and can look forward to doing it two dozen more times before you get it right. I understand the idea of a game with consequences or where your character can die forcing you to try again, but the whole premise of this game is try the same task over and over and over and over again. Even on EASY DIFFICULTY. My patience wore out, having not even finished chapter two. This is a complete waste of money, do not buy this game unless you enjoy the idea of performing the same tedious thing over and over and over and over again. This game will appeal to the same kind of people that enjoy going to the dentist for a root canal. I seriously cannot stress enough how awful a game experience this "game" provides. If you're intrigued by the story, and I know that I was before playing it, then go on youtube and watch someone else play through the game for the story, then come back and thank me for sparing you the aggravation of actually dealing with this game. DO NOT BUY THIS "GAME". Expand
  2. Jul 26, 2014
    Despite a fantastic art style and soundtrack, Gods Will Be Watching never amounts to anything more than a pretentious resource management simulator. The Hotline Miami of point & clicks, this game is not.
  3. Jul 27, 2014
    It was interesting to me that this game was so simplistic and yet so very complex.

The writing is superb and the story is filled with unknown mystery, that in my opinion, only serves to make me feel more immersed into the game. Yes, you will hate this game, but I implore you to finish it and then I can guarantee that you will end up loving it. Has re-playability, great soundtrack,
    brilliant graphic design, fantastic premise and hard yet fair situations to painstakingly manage. If you like anything that resembles a challenge in your games like Dark Souls etc... this is for you.

The story is compiled into small cut scenes and chapters in which you will play, not necessarily understand straight of the bat, but will certainly enjoy. The thing that drives the story forward above all else is the characters. Each of them feel unique and real, even some of them that may only turn up for small parts of the game are developed more-so than some characters I have seen in triple A games these days.

Music is godly.

It jumps right into the action and in every scenario it will give you several tasks that you must complete in a certain matter of time. It makes for a fast clicking frantic mess that slowly but surely will turn into precise actions and subtle key choices that can make or break your characters. For those who complain about characters always returning in every chapter, even if they were previously killed, then all I can say is that they didn't understand the story so watch out for that one.

Overall this is a great investment of your time and money, if you can overlook little underlying miss-polishes then you will have a horrific blast with Gods Will Be Watching and I can only hope that they make more.
  4. Jul 26, 2014
    Waste of money... trailer promised things that are not really in the game... not worth the money... avoid!

Original was much better and free!! Cant pass first level even on easy level and i am a big fan of dificult games...
  5. Jul 25, 2014
    Gods will be Watching is a pretty good tale. The game revolves around it's story, plot, character development, and a metric ton of micromanaging. Though it's not for everyone and can be very confusing to a lot of players.

There is no tutorial. The game is heavily based around trial and error. If you screw up you gotta start all over again. (From the start of the chapter you're in, not
    the entire game.) It will give you hits and tips but that's about it.

The story itself is very confusing. It makes sense in the end but for awhile you won't get what's going on. The game also has a weird way of saying "Your choices don't matter..." It doesn't matter if you kill a character off they'll still be there. (Which is a odd way of doing it. But it might make some sense at the end.)

In a way it's kind of using the same system as The Walking Dead games at the end. It sums up all your choices and compares you to everyone else who has played the game.

The game graphics will obviously drive away people who want amazing realistic graphics but I think that the pixilated art style really works! It can show how much a simple art style can express amazing detail.

The game is an ok length. It took me only about 10 hours to complete. But what killed it for me was the lack of replayability. Sure there are some achievements you can go back and get but they didn't drive me to go back and play it. I mostly just went back to screw around in the hostage situation rooms.

At times the game can be really repetitive. It took me about 2 hours to complete one of the chapters mostly because of the game crashing and because of some unreasonable events and just my own stupidity.

The games soundtrack is astounding! It's very catchy. Each chapter has only 2 soundtracks though. One for the default and another if you beat the game on easy.

There's a lot of broken English. That's all I can say about that. ._.

Gods will be watching has a hard time explaining itself. It's a good story but it can be very unorganized and confusing to the player. One of the chapters in the game actually seems very out of place for what it's intended to be. It took me a very long time to actually figure out what it was about...

This isn't a game for everyone. It's very confusing and a bit on the annoying side... It's a game for people who have a very open mind and for people who can figure out the plot of a story fairly quickly. It might take awhile to understand and might require a second play through for people who are completely confused.

In the end I have to give the game a score of 7.5/10.
    It's a good game overall but it has a ton of loopholes missing plot segments and confusing twists. I think there's a future for Devolver Digital. But it will take some time...
  6. Jul 27, 2014
    THIS GAME IS BRILLIANT GOTY MATERIAL RIGHT HERE. so gods will be watching is a indie point and click adventure with turn based elements, it is unique and i cant find a better way to describe the gameplay. Graphics wise the game has a nice a functional and simple pixel based art style complimented by an exceptional soundtrack.The real hook here is the story witch is brilliant to say the least one of the best naratives in video games so far but be warned the game involves tons of reading so if u don't like that sort of exposition and you don't have the patience to follow it then this might not be a game for you.WARNING:the game is incredibly difficult it can kic your butt on easy if u dont like hard games avoid this titel but if u like punishing games this one is for you i can certify that the game is fair and the difficulty is not impossible.There is huge replayability within this little game and some truly inovating gameplay.This game is great the only problem i find is access this game is not for everyoane so ill give it 9/10. Expand
  7. Jul 27, 2014
    Really not that good. It was advertised as a game where your choices were hard to decide due to morality. They're hard to decide because you don't want to fail and restart a chapter for the 50th time after playing it for 30 minutes (Yes, there are NO checkpoints).

My partner got torn into two in front of me (not a spoiler, you can prevent this), and emotionally in real life I didn't
    care at all. Neither did the main character, as represented by his bland dialogue. What I was thinking about though, was "Oh man, now that I can't split the damage I take between two characters, this will get so much harder."

That was why I cared of his death. I didn't care about him, his character, his children, his anything. I cared because I didn't want to lose.

Yet I did. 45 minutes of my life went down the drain. I went to try again, only to have to restart the mission entirely. 45 minutes of my time lost because of some RNG roll.

You know, games were short in a time when NES Cartridges simply were not large enough to allow games to be long, so they made them very difficult to extend game time. That's exactly what Gods Will Be Watching does. The developers knew their game was short, and instead of adding more interesting content, they simply made it insanely hard. Modern game design at its worst.

The art, animations, lighting, SFX, BGM were nice, but the design completely ruins it. Do not waste your time or money on this game.
  8. Jul 27, 2014
    A great combination of intersting plot, tough dissensions fantastic pixel art and great soundtrack. Although levels some times are hard to get the hang of, they aren't very long nor hard after you get the principle.
  9. Jul 28, 2014
    I played the demo many years ago. It was just a short suvival webgame, where you had to manage a small group of survivers on a fire. When I first saw this game, my first thought was "hey, I already played that for free many month ago!"

But then I bought this game when it was on sale. This game is much more then the demo. It has 6 different chapters, each unique. You always have to make
    decissions and manage your resources to survive or reach a certain goal in a set time. It is not real time, but turn based. So for example, you got like 25 days to reach a goal. You need to care for your crewmembers health and morale and you need to handle random events.

And its all in this cool old adventure look :)

I really love this game. It can be really challanging sometimes and it is hard to keep everyone alive. You often have to leave someone behind. I just reached chapter 5 by now.

Each chapter is very different, so its not just the same mechanism just with 6 different backgrounds. Each chapter has unique mechanisms, dangers and ways to play it. In one chapter, you are just around a fire and need to keep everyone alive and the fire runing, and you need to care about their health. In another chapter, you are in a desert with a big team and need to care for water and ammunition, while moving around the desert.

I'm very curious how all this ends. I could go on playing 100 chapters of this! :)
  10. Jul 28, 2014
    This game amounts to hours upon hours of thoughtful... and then mindless clicking out of pure frustration until you find the right sequence of clicks after dying hundreds (and yes you will die hundreds if not thousands) of times. Not exactly my idea of fun. It would be forgivable if the story or characters drew me in but it's hard to get emotional about pixel art and a mediocre story. Even the easy mode was frustrating beyond belief. Thankfully my brain had enough around halfway through the horrendously unforgiving torture scenario and chose to give up on this one. The next day I woke up and thought "Should I play it again? maybe it wasn't that ridiculous and I was just tired." Then I shuddered at the though of doing that torture scenario one more time and decided against it. Expand
  11. Jul 28, 2014
    Wow... this game is a big disappointment.

I originally decided to pre-order the game in it's collector's edition because I already knew the soundtrack was going to be kick-ass by the demo, and the game seemed already too awesome for words. The title alone draws a person in... but why the hell is this even called Gods Will Be Watching? What the hell kind of Gods are even in the game?

The big problem with this is game is mostly false advertisement in the trailers - of which now are too damn short and uninformative really, something the devs made short for a reason. THIS GAME HAS NO BIG LIFE CHANGING DECISIONS ALMOST WHATSOEVER. It's no more than a simple time-management survival point n' click. And it can't even do that right, in the final terms.

The story is a confusing, muddled, so-and-so sci-fi thriller about two space empires in the midst of civil unrest and hostility between them, but that's just a backdrop anyway. Most of it really centers around a terrorist group (and yes, no matter what good deeds these guys do, they are still damn terrorists) called Xenolifer, who are attempting to 'fight the system' who allows alien slavery by releasing an alien virus as a biochemical weapon on the xenophobic majority public. Again, bad solution which rightly labels them 'terrorists'. AND MOST OF THIS I NOT EVEN EXPLAINED CORRECTLY WITHOUT THE COMIC I GOT FROM PRE-ORDER.

So blah blah, you play an undercover operative who attempts to thwart the plans of Xenolifer (the main leader is named Liam), but he feels that there is still good in him and his belief (proven wrong the third level basically). And then in comes the gameplay... which is basically the demo plastered over six levels. Nothing intuitive at all other then stuck-in-single-level situations, and must solve in correct amount of actions. When I found this out by the third level, I literally wanted to trash bin this whole game.

But I can't! What's good in the game is the sweet electro soundtrack by fingerspit, as well as the awesome visual design in pixel art. But that's all really, it's not enough to justify the games existence. It could of totally been better, but it was a small idea and gameplay esthetic spread out to fit a full unintuitive narrative.

Unfortunately, this is what I consider Devolver Digital's first failed game - almost nothing of it's overall expectation. Just frustrating gameplay, toppled over unlikable characters, mixed with more than 50% of the game's choices made meaningless (such as one character's reappearance the next level even after death). Never pre-ordering anything again.
  12. Aug 3, 2014
    This game is a 10 for me, but could easily be lower for others. It is a game for a specific type of player, it is punishing, repetitive and at times you will just have to quit out of it to not yell at the screen. But if you are the kind of person who enjoys brute forcing down a problem by learning a little more each time this game is for you. The moral questions it asks of its players are well thought out, cleverly drawing the player into immoral actions by playing off your frustration with your lack of success, only to gut check you when you win that way. Sure you 'won' this time by killing a bunch of hostages, but you could have won without doing that.. you monster.

The art style is wonderful, the levels are clever, the story is entertaining and the ending is satisfying. If you can suffer the hundreds of failed attempts in the way they are meant to be endured you will love this game.
  13. Aug 4, 2014
    This is tough because I didn't actually get to play the game. The art style brought me back to some classics, and the raving reviews kept me interested. I was pretty excited when I was able to launch the game, only to be sorta let down, but not exactly at the game's fault.

Instead I wondered around a small room trying to figure out what the hell to click to make some bars move up and
    down. I felt like a moron after trial and error, after trial and error, lead to the same flashbang grenade game over screen.

Maybe I am an idiot, but I just can't understand what the **** this game wants me to do.

I want to slit my wrists in frustration.

Needless to say, if have the patience to play out the same FIRST LEVEL over and over again to succeed and progress to what I imagine to be something that is made of pure magic (based on critic scores) this is the game for you. Meanwhile, I'm going to give it about 50 more stupid tries in hopes of figuring out why there are a group of people sitting around a campfire.

Maybe they're friends.
  14. Aug 11, 2014
    Let me start by saying, this game is frustrating, teeth-grindingly frustrating, and this is coming from someone who loves the dark souls franchise. you will have to repeat chapters over and over again, and a lot of the time it comes down to lucky whether you succed or not. it is NOT for everyone, but i really did enjoy it. its stategic, its intriguing and it kind of ♥♥♥♥s with your personal psyche a bit. If you can make it past chapter 2 without breaking something you should be golden

i dont even have to mention the art and music, people who hate this game even claim that to be fantastic.

Its stressful, its painful, at times tedicous, and has one of most epic finales ive seen in games since times of MGS... if you find games becoming to easy these days, enjoy a challenging narrative, and have A LOTTT of patience, then this game is so worth trying.
  15. Jul 30, 2014
    Pretty boring really. The thing that finally made me give up for good during the first level was having to walk slowly back and forth between the 'cooling down room' and the other side of the bank to execute single line commands. Repetitive, pretentious and poor writing.
  16. Jul 30, 2014
    This is definitely GOTY worthy.

The game play is quite unique, A point and click turn base game that has 6 different chapters each being extremely different yet managing to be the same. Such as a hostage situation and a torture sequence. The music is beautiful and the graphics are quite charming even if the game is quite dark.
    The game itself is definitely not mean't for everyone so,
    if you are not patient this game may not be for you.(Have to restart chapters over again each being 40-60 minutes long if you fail)

The story is driven by small cutscenes and chapters that you may not be able to understand until later in the game. The characters have actually made me feel more emotion than most movies and AAA games when they die/wounded which is impressive considering them not having advanced movements or spoken dialogue.

A part of the game that I love and hate is the Russian roulette in the torture chapter. It is completely luck based and being shot means starting back 20-30 minutes earlier in the chapter. A fix to this would be having a check point before it or the gun not having any rounds in it as like a "How big are your balls" challenge. Considering this and the fact it is not really mean't for everyone is why I give this game a 9/10. As I have stated from the top this is most likely gonna be my GOTY for 2014 and it is definitely worth a buy.
  17. Aug 1, 2014
    Not bad. I think Gods will be Watching is as better as the score says... I think it's a simplistic-but-complex game at the same time. Maybe I prefer other games, but GWBW is also a great purchase to try with a different kind of games
  18. Aug 1, 2014
    Levels like level 2 even on easy will cause you to fail many many times based quite a bit on luck. Worse there are interactions that cant be fast forward so each fail will consume at least 10 or so minutes with no save.
  19. Aug 4, 2014
    Really innovative game with a lot of style. Both art, music, controls, characters and story have a unique personality and are outstanding. It isn't a game for everyone because it's really hard, but it makes sense because the game wants to push you to make limit decisions that sometimes forces you to take certain hard choices.
  20. Aug 4, 2014
    The game is more frustrating than an old Nintendo game, most of the time playing is spent walking around trying to micromanage four different things that are boring to actually even try to manage. Also the fact that you have click to walk somewhere makes the game incredibly awkward.
  21. Aug 8, 2014
    Great game. Tough nut to crack, though. I really liked how the game didn't hold your hand but only gave you a challenge, that was on the borderline of possible/impossible, and let you run wild. It really added to the dark gritty atmosphere and the desperation of the story.

Considering how small the budget probably was, it was a great game that really packs a punch of a awesome sci-fi
    story, with its minimalistic graphic art-style. I really hope, they are going to work on a sequel because im running wild for some new challenges. I would love to see more of the Everdusk organisation and maybe a space battle, that one gets to play. That would be awesome :D Expand
  22. Aug 21, 2014
    In my opinion this game is amazing, exactly what I've been craving in games that has been lost since the good old days. Games now hold your hand and walk you through so if you want challenge you have to wait 2 hours to see if it's even there and it's usually not. This game is hard. A lot of people failed the first level and wrote bad reviews. This is fine. I appreciate their reviews. They were frustrated and disappointed. But there is a place for games like this for those of us who want an appropriate challenge. The main thing is that you slowly get better and better and figure out how to achieve your goal more and more. But if you're not clever or just have bad luck and can't figure out how some of the dynamics work, you're just not going to pass even the first level. The game is only what? 10 dollars? So if you're looking for a challenge, try it out and if you are disappointed you're out 10 bucks. These kinds of challenges are rare, and personally I hate a game that is not challenging. If there is no challenge there is no need to think, nothing interesting. Without challenge I feel like I am watching a bad movie. This game makes me think a lot and I absolutely love it. More like this please!

It's not just about challenge of course. I love the pixelated graphics, the complex but interesting sci-fi story, and I love the difficult decisions. Should I kill this innocent person to advance my goals? It puts you in that situation a lot. If you look at the reviews here it's a mix of love and hate. So give it a try, challenge yourself, take a chance and see what you think. Worst case you're out 10 bucks and 30 minutes.
  23. Sep 2, 2014
    I both love and hate this game. I love it because it feels very fresh and unique. I also thoroughly enjoyed some of the chapters. And I hate it because the rest of the chapters are just too frustratingly difficult and I actually even had to stop playing the game for a few days just to get my patience back. This game has a lot of potential; it could've been one of the best games ever, which is why it feels very unfortunate to me that it didn't turn out as well as it could. Expand
  24. Oct 10, 2014
    Finally they made it right! Yes, when it was released it was unfair and frustrating but it was clear that something brilliant was hidden behind. Introducing more difficulty levels and some fixes here and there they solved the frustrating and what is left now is a remarkable experience that I feel to recommend to any gamer. Just pick the difficult level that suits you, I suggest to cut off the elements of chance on your first time. Expand
  25. Oct 26, 2014
    The pixel art style and the unique idea initially seem appealing, however what happens in reality is that you start the game, the first scene doesn't explain the game mechanics very well at all, you're trust straight into the game and then brutally raped over and over, the game doesn't let up, you can spend hours on the first scene trying to find the perfect combination of moves to exactly pass it, only Random Number Generation make some scenes LITERALLY impossible to complete. It's like Dark Souls but harder and less fair.

I literally cannot understand why the developers thought this was a good idea, I'd give this game a zero if it wasn't for a cool indie style. I would not recommend this game to anyone.
  26. Nov 1, 2014
    The concept of the game is to force you into making moral decisions under pressure. It's an interesting idea and it is set in a pretty pixel graphic sci-fi story, on the topic of what is dictatorship, what is rebellion, and what is terrorism. The game was too difficult and frustrating for me to enjoy, and if you are looking for a moral choice-driven game I would instead recommend "Walking Dead".

This game is -extremely- difficult, and it took me about 1,5 hours to get through just the first level. A big portion of the difficulty is inherent in the randomness of the game, making it so frustrating that I eventually gave up without finnishing. I get the idea of making me frustrated to experience the true feelings of the characters situation, but it came to a point where I lost my emotional connection to the story and the game became a chore instead. The game also features an online system that gives you statistics of your choices versus other players choices. I really think this could have been a great game if the difficulty level wasn't so overbearing. It's a good example of how game mechanics sometimes can ruin an otherwise good concept.

1. Oct 22, 2014
    The idea behind Gods Will Be Watching is not bad at all, the prototype was promising, the Kickstarter campaign was successful, but after 15 minutes of playing I was furious. Gods might be watching, but whether you live or die is decided by a random number generator, not them. [10/2014, p.60]
  2. Sep 5, 2014
    The game looks gorgeous, boasting an intriguing concept while asking interesting ethical questions. It's a shame that the game is so tedious to play. [Sept 2014]
  3. Aug 27, 2014
    In 2013, Deconstructeam entered a Ludum Dare competition with a bare bones concept of a game. Now, a year later, this game has a price tag, but it’s bare just as it was back then.