5.3

1. Aug 23, 2013
    By playing this game and then coming here to check the reviews, I can honestly say that every single good score by the critics was only the result of piles of money shoveled to them by the games producers, (which tends to happen, see Tale of Two Brothers, Dragon Age II etc.) Ignoring the blatantly paid off critics I'd have to say this game is awful. Literally. Awful. Personally, this game would of been much better if it was just a book.
    But noo, they have to make a game filled with awful models, lighting physics, godawful compressed sound effects that sound like they ripped them of a site and above else THE GAME IS ONLY AN HOUR LONG!
    On top of all that $20 really?? Is this a joke???

I advise everyone considering buying this game because of the critics reviews to at least realize that they were bought of and if you still want to play it, then at most, please torrent it of a site so these wastes of humans being don't get your money.
    Trust me, you WILL be disappointed.
  2. Sep 3, 2013
    My review in two words: Hipster ****

I have no problem with games that are nothing more than interactive stories. The Walking Dead game by Telltale Games is phenomenal and does the genre the correct way. Gone Home falls flat because there is no reason to play the game more than once and it does an awful job of getting the player to care about the people that are NEVER seen in the
    game. It's intriguing at first, but the story is hackneyed and presented poorly. Without posting any spoilers, I can say that the "build-up" in the story is completely wasted by the ending. It's a shame too, because with better writing, this game could have been terrific. As it is, there is no reason to care about the characters.

My other beef with Gone Home is the $20 price tag: Massive ripoff. The Walking Dead games were $5 per episode and a single episode is longer than Gone Home. I explored the game carefully and still finished in 2 hours. I could go back and look for the hidden doors, but I have NO motivation to do so, as it doesn't change the story.

Instead of wasting money on this story, try one of the better done interactive stories, such as The Walking Dead or Dear Ester. Even the point and click adventures of the late 90's (like King's Quest series) had better storytelling and re-playability than Gone Home.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    sorry i this is a short review but its really hard to give an in depth review without spoiling it

Ok the game isn't a bad game, but can i really call it a game. it is really hard to talk about this game with spoiling it but in short words. this is an interactive story were you come home from a European holiday and no one is in the house and you try and find out were everyone is. that
    is pretty much it .

It tries to do something new by giving you a well written story, and a very good voice actor, and a house to explore. it tries to but you in to the players shoes,but the bad point its how many houses have letters hanging around the house because I know in my house we have none, Locked doors in wired places which try and drag out the game. and hidden passages how many houses have hidden passages.

i see what its trying to do and it is a ok story but its no enough to make me play it over and over again. I know it was made be a Indie company but they had experience in gaming companies, i expect this kind of game from a student or free to play game but not something you pay for.

ok to talk about the graphics this game was made in the unity Engine, models were poorly sized and textured for a game that is asking for a money. models take time to make and the look of things this looks very rushed.

I really wish i could score this game higher I really do but i have to put a price on this game and this game shockingly game priced of 14.99 GBP. I give it 2 GPB, as much as its a great story and the voice actor is very good but and its a big but, I'v played better free indie games and all it is really is, is a atmospheric story. and that is also why I had to score it a 3
  4. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was horribly misrepresented by what I saw on steam. I expected a neat mystery with revelations and real discovery.. yet what i am met with is some stupid (albeit well told) little story about a lesbian girl and her aspirations or whatever. The exploration was somewhat cool and interesting until i found out what it was about. Then i just felt disgusted and betrayed. Expand
  5. Sep 1, 2013
    Overpriced, way too short, and not much of a game. It is being pushed on the merits of it's story, which isn't all that great. This game has a bunch of positive reviews from people trying to push the politically correct agenda and rate it highly because it features social issues they support, but they are completely ignoring it's lack of merit as an actual game.
  6. Aug 27, 2013
    Short stories aren't games, especially when they have no game play. If the story didn't take advantage of lesbians, no one would care about the story.
  7. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is like a movie idea that got rejected. I seriously felt like i was watching a long episode of degrassi or something. Not worth your money and the scores metacritic blows out of proportion saying inflated statements about this game.
  8. Oct 8, 2013
    Summary: A history of lesbians. That's why all the critics give that score. In my opinion, did not deserve to go on sale. Gone Home is the perfect example of a game that shouldn't be game. If you wan't to read about "lesbians stories" i will buy a book about that.

Games are for kill, explore and feel adrenaline, not for that.
  9. QOO
    Nov 16, 2013
    I'm sorry, but Walking Simulator 2014 (Gone Home) should not be sold. What you get for 20 bucks is a 2 hour game at the most, with a boring story.. The gameplay is non-existent, so if you wanted a game, you'll be disappointed. There really is no appeal to this game, and no one should be buying this. There are adventure games out there that give more story and interactivity. Play them.
  10. Dec 29, 2013
    Gone Homo is a pretty gay game, literally, and as such deserves a place in the trash. The fact that so many games journos heaped so much praise on it just shows how wildly out of touch they are with their fanbases, and how desperate these people are to latch onto hip political trends so quickly. As a game Gone Homo isn't one, as a story it's cringeworthy, and for $20 it's a mere 90 minutes of wandering around an empty house piecing together a story if you for some reason really want to lose more faith in humanity and see this abomination for yourself just head on over to your friendly torrent site and check it out for free, otherwise steer clear of this sandwich. Expand
  11. Dec 31, 2013
    This is the result of the Femnazi Movement and will go down in history as such. It serves only as an indie glorified walking simulator. The developers could have made something worthwhile, like a new "myst-esque" type game. But decided to go down the political hipster route. The game has been bolstered unjustly in the media and has been shunned by actual gamers. This is a shining example of what is wrong with gaming. Expand
  12. Jan 26, 2014
    Ok graphics. Almost spooky. interesting. Open another drawer. Storyline shock. Offended. Bored. Still Bored. Offended Again. To Plot, or not to Plot..., Wait, that's the end? No, really that's it? Check for passing time... 2.5 hrs. Should have went bowling.
  13. Aug 23, 2013
    It's a nice thought, but it wasn't worth $20. It wasn't that great a story. It seemed like something a sexually confused high school girl would write in her diary. Roger Ebert is laughing in his grave.

If you want to play an interactive visual novel that has a truly gripping emotional story, check out Katawa Shoujo or Analogue: A Hate Story. And Katawa Shoujo is freeware!
  14. Sep 1, 2013
    Wow. Adventure game my ass. This is There is no gameplay, and the story is mediocre. It seems to be getting praise because it involves LGBT rights. Well, I think I may get some sewage, unload it on some toilet paper with "LESBIAN" written on it, put it for sale, and proceed to be called the future of cuisine.
  15. Sep 8, 2013
    If I wanted to read a retarded blog of someone I don't give a about ranting about his sexuality I would have made a tumblr account
    Even calling it a game is pretentious
  16. Aug 26, 2013
    I don't think I've ever purchased a game before, then after finishing wanted my money back. This would be the first. At least if you purchase Kindle novel you have 7 days to return it for a full refund. The same should apply for this Gone Home, as after all it's more of a very short novel, than a game.
  17. Sep 2, 2013
    Unbelievably pretentious interactive story packaged as a video game, purely to reach a broader audience. Luckily I didn't lose my $20 to this gimmick (I played through with a friend; he, however, DID lose on this purchase). Still, I'd like the two wasted hours of my life back.

The spooky, haunted vibe throughout the narrative the only interesting element in this failure is just a
    veil. Yes, I'm aware that The Fullbright Company was very upfront when I came to the gameplay mechanics and features they implemented. I was aware of the lack of ANY enemies or zombies or hordes that may have been creeping around every corner. Still, half of the narrative was devoted to exploring this seemingly haunted house, only to completely ignore the need to wrap up this storyline in any way.

The interactivity isn't clever. It isn't unique. It isn't fun. After about five minutes picking up EVERY object at random in the house, it's impossible to not get bored. And unfortunately, that's the ONLY strand of gameplay to the entire game. Painful.

If this and the added multitude of other poor user scores are still not enough to convince you to stay away, PLEASE divert to YouTube and watch a Let's Play instead. It doesn't matter which user you pick to watch, as each will prove to be just as un-entertaining as the last and you can then at least see the narrative for yourself and decide that an average 4.9 user score is accurate. Seriously, I'm trying to save you 20 bucks.
  18. Sep 19, 2013
    While this game is lauded by mainstream gaming review sites I can't help but feel this praise is wildly unjustified and given mostly as a way to push how politically correct these gaming sites purport to be. If you take anything from this wildly overpriced 'game' other than 'gay people exist' then you must have been living under a rock.
  19. Oct 19, 2013
    F*** this game....and f*** the critics. I think the creators knew that critics would just get on the bandwagon like the sheep they are; thus causing us poor gamers to buy it. Unbeknownst to us, the critics gave it good reviews on the most superficial of basis' possible. I felt like this game was similar to a film which wins an Oscar. In this case, it is similar to a film that clearly doesn't deserve it, but won simply because of its "groundbreaking" message or some gay crap like that. Expand
  20. Dec 27, 2013
    There is no game. Saying there was a game here is a joke. The only reason critics like it is because of the lesbian empowerment angle. Yes, the game review industry is that sad. It's not fun, nothing happens, it ends and then you get angry for having spent money on this. Hipsters may like it, critics have NO CHOICE but to like it, but game players shouldn't be tricked into spending money on this.

Dear Esther is a much better game if you like this sort of "game." At least it has atmosphere and beautiful graphics. This allows you to explore a house I last saw in U9.
  21. Sep 13, 2013
    This is the worst "game" I have ever played. I bought into the hype and purchased Gone Home a day or two after release. Late-night Lifetime Network-tier story, Bad graphics, bad aesthetic, boring environment, poor sound quality, 90 minutes long, and $20. This is the first time I have ever had buyer's remorse toward a game. The meta score shows just how out of touch journalists are with what a majority of gamers want out of a video game. Expand
  22. Aug 20, 2013
    Bland and insipid, are the word I'd pick to describe Gone Home. It's seems to be another game from people who apparently have no interest in making games, there are no puzzles or enemies just exploring a deserted house, it is the bare minimum of interactivity to technically be called a game. The story, what there is of it, is presented in the most circuitous way possible and it's not all that interesting or compelling. I really do not understand what the critics love about this "game". This should be called suburban exploration simulator cause it really does seem the creators stumbled on an urban exploration blog somewhere and though it would make a good game. Expand
  23. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The so called "critics" need to check their state of minds.

Dear critics, we turn to you to infrom us about games, when a game gets 9.5s we assume that we MUST play this game and it somehow revolutionizes gaming.

The game costs 20 bucks, its a linear story based fps exploration game inside a house. You move around and pick up objects and twist them around, then you hear an audio log and you continue doing that till you get to the last one and the game ends.

That is the essential gameplay, The graphics are pretty good and the game is optimized but its not a "game"

Its a tech demo.

Reviewers will tell you that the story is pretty good, yet its a about a lonely girl who thinks she is a lesbian when in reallity she never had a boyfirend so she justs runs away with another girl who actually is a lesbian, thats it, not much of a resollution either, yet it gets 9.5 and most importantly it costs 20 bucks.

The consumer is ripped off 20 bucks for 1 hour and a half of linear exploring in a tech demo, rather an actual GAME.

There are far better GAMES to play for 15 bucks, shadowrun returns,rise of the triad, call of juareze gunsliner, hell even mars war logs.

Sure they have flaws, but they are GAMES with GAMEPLAY and the reason they are criticized by reviewers and have lower scores is because the so called "critics" criticize the flaws in their GAMEPLAY since this game has no gamplay whatsoever and you keep moving in a linear fashion and pick up objects and examine them, there is no gameplay flaws to criticize so that gives them 10/10.

That is the truth and it hurts but this notion that the less gameplay the game has and less complex it is, the better, has to stop, or we will be playing movies instead of games pretty damn soon.

The user score shows that the so called "critics" should og and criticize movies instead and not games.
  24. Sep 6, 2013
    The fact that this game has a 90% from critics is really going to have me second guessing any future reviews i read, in this game you literally do and accomplish nothing. A ridiculous waste of money.
  25. Sep 1, 2013
    don't buy or play this game. Watch Pewdiepie or Macaulay Culkin playing it. The game maybe could look funny if they dont realize that they are playing a game
  26. Sep 3, 2013
    i got this game because of all the hype made out there. but honestly.. this kind of game isnt for me, i played 15 minutes and bored the out of my mind, and couldnt finish it. i would rather read a book. good job on the marketing dough.
  27. Jan 1, 2014
    Well, what to say? This is probably 1st game I'll give score 0. It's first extremely bad graphics, but that's not crucial because lately we have few indie efforts with bad graphics but extremely fun games!!!
    In other side, Gone Home have nothing. It's just walking through house and read some letters. It would probably be more fun as textual adventure from 80's.
  28. Sep 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just watched someone else play this game on youtube, I'm so GLAD (get it? Gay lesbian, whatever whatever) I didnt pay $20 for this. It's basically propaganada against dont ask dont tell rapped in a 1 hr "game". By game i mean no puzzles, no nothing. It's like a bad M Knight Shamalan movie hiding behind gay rights. If you criticize it, you are a homophobe. OK, I'd rather be a homophobe and have $20 than give this a good rating. Expand
  29. Jan 17, 2014
    Most overrated and overhyped game of the year. Literally it doesn't deserve so high scores. The plot is not intereresting at all, after playing 30 minutes through - you already know the story. And the ending is just boring.
  30. Oct 31, 2013
    If you like to spend time clicking stuff, reading letters and listening to a stupid teenager audio tapes, this is your game. The critics cheated me, I never was so regretful buying a game.
  31. egn
    Dec 20, 2013
    This isn't really a game. The developers are great visual artists; but game developers? No. Most of the 10 reviews here are probably given because of "political correctness". This also explains the developer reviews.

You walk around a house. You hear about this white family's first world problems. The daughter is a pretty badly stereotyped man-hating radical feminist.

The
    developers are more interested in political statements and scoring cheap points with empty politically-based criticisms of other developers.

They also censor criticism of the game on the Steam forums, which is basically to be expected I suppose.

Anyway, not worth the price, the game has about 10 minutes of playtime, an hour tops.
  32. Nov 27, 2013
    Gone Home has to be one of the most overrated indie games this year. It does nothing new or innovative. It's an interactive story, but the story is just another generic teenage lover story with a predictable ending.
  33. Jan 5, 2014
    This game needs a page long rant about miss-leading advertising and what constitutes mystery thriller content. Sufficed to say that the critics are full of it. This game is garbage. Don't waste your money.
  34. Dec 20, 2013
    This is more a warning than a Review. Bought the Steam version (Windows) in October 2013. By then the game was out for some time but still in kind of alpha state.
    The controls are poorly programmed. In my case I have a joystick and rudder pedals. Searched in the forums and found that you have to disable the drivers of them to activate the keyboard and the mouse. Yes, not to just unplug
    them but to disable their drivers. Next problem was a black screen, so I stopped the installation and requested a refund from Steam. Steam just played dumb and asked me to read the forums.

So, this is a warning not to buy a game which is clearly not bug-free enough to be sold...
  35. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why even try to make it scary?
    I didn't pay for this game and it sounds like I was better off, as it is less than 2 hours long. It tries to be scary and atmospheric and then at the end you are left thinking, "is this it?" It's ground breaking in the slightest, point and click interaction isn't new, it's a favorite genre of mine but I was expecting more. To try to scare you with bad scare tactics and then have such an uplifting ending is bizarre to say the least. You know what would have been a better ending? A suicide pact and the mom leaving with the ranger. You could have been finding their bodies. So her father was distant, the mother would be running off, and she'd be loosing the girl. That would have kept the horror feel, the sadness of forbidden love. Although come on, it's the 21st century no-one is shocked by lesbians anymore, it's par for course. They exist, they're nice people, we're over it. Stop milking it just to get reviewed by people who think if they say the game is bad they are somehow bigots. Political correctness at it's best is what you can see from the reviewers. One thing that made me laugh about the game is all those bathrooms and no mirrors. Not a single mirror in the house, strange that. Kind of a cop out. Almost like they didn't have the budget but perhaps with the high price of this game they can show you looking in the mirror in a sequel. You can't do a scary atmosphere game without taking advantage of mirrors. I'd recommend you experience the game, it had some cool points, but don't pay full price for less than 2 hours.
  36. Aug 28, 2013
    honestly one of the worst games ever made, a crime to the industry.
    firstly it has no gameplay whatsoever, it's just walking around, looking at things, walk around some more.
    the story is also ridiculous and has many loopholes.
    do not trust anyone who rated this game good. they played it because they are social justice morons who read about it on their transgender rights blog and rated
    it highly for the simple reason it has a lesbian in it.
    terrible, awful, a crime to humanity. whoever thinks this is art, or a game, or even a good concept in the first place should be locked in a cell for their crimes.
  37. Aug 23, 2013
    While critics seem to adore the "progressiveness" of Gone Home, the reality is that it's one of the lowest quality games you're going to find. The story is dull and corny, and most of the pieces are told through paper scraps and notes that are months old yet somehow seem to still be sitting on top of tables or in waste bins that one can only assume never gets emptied. Even better is that you'll encounter moments such as finding a recent note about a boy that wants his Nintendo game back only to find another note from further back that says he's already gotten it back. There's really not much good to say about Gone Home. Especially when the level design makes it so you can accidentally stumble upon the ending. Not that it really changes much, because you already know how Sam ended up in the first few seconds when you find her runaway note on the door.

Gone Home is extremely uneventful, and focuses on a poorly thought out character that really doesn't do much more than irritate the player with how little she cares about other people.
  38. Aug 26, 2013
    I went into this game completely blind, having no idea what it is. When I started, I immediately recognized the similarities between this and Dear Esther. As I progressed through the story, I realized that there's no real puzzles. All the items you need to find are hidden, which makes it similar to Dear Esther in that it shouldn't really be classified as a game as It's more of an interactive story, which I'd be okay with if it wasn't so simple. The length is another thing I find an issue. Upon completing the game for the first time, I went back and beat it again in literally 30 seconds, which is a problem. Games should never allow me to beat them in less than a minute if they're supposedly based on an emotional narrative. Overall, I enjoyed Gone Home. Those who watch it being played get the exact same effect as those who play it themselves, and I would not recommend it unless you're some civil rights person who's all about sexual equality. Expand
  39. Aug 27, 2013
    Not a game. This would have been better as a flash animation or a novel. The story isn't particularly interesting, nor is the way it's told particularly new. And at the price being asked, you're going to feel cheated if you buy it unless you're a snob.
  40. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm so, so pissed off upon finishing this game. Not for the gameplay I actually like just rummaging the house leisurely, but, whoever thought the story is extraordinary clearly never reads any single literature in their life. This is twilight v.2, except instead of edward there is lonnie (dangerous vampire boy/bad punk girl). sam just gives up all of her life, future and family just like that for her. And then they live happily ever after just like that?? Is there anyone here really thinks it could work!? Hah! I would like to see the sequel where sam comes home brokenhearted to her parents house

This is a short story not a game. I wouldn't mind paying 5$ for this, but for 20$ write something better will you.

And of course the price tag 20$ just screams of taking money as much as they can because the dev knows people will buy this thing for being "progressive" game.

I would be more inclined to think they actually try to bring positive light into the game industry if the price is 5-10$, equally compared to the game length.

As it stands, it's all about the money.
  41. Aug 28, 2013
    This "game" is just walking around an empty house opening drawers to find notes. This is not a game, it is a simple story with only one character that has any depth of development. Would you spend $20 on a book that is only one page long and only has one discernible character?

The only good thing about the production is the voice acting, everything else is average at best. I am giving
    this a score of 0 to balance out the ridiculous reviews this "game" has been receiving. The hype is farcical and I guarantee this title will quickly become forgotten in the dustbin of flawed projects. Expand
  42. Sep 1, 2013
    Jesus christ. I registered in order to tell you what I read on a review (and didn't believe) before buying this game:

DO NOT TRUST THE REVIEWS ONLINE.

This game is one of the worst ""ADVENTURE"" (it should be called something like storytelling) games I've played. Please do yourself a favor and don't even try it.
  43. Sep 2, 2013
    One and a half hours was too long playing this game. It was boring, repetitive and just plain off-putting. The story was to easy too figure out too quickly (and from someone who worked on bioshock infinite I'd expect more). The game is riddle with graphical glitches and leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth. Gone home sucks. 2/10
  44. Sep 3, 2013
    Absolutely disgusting. For starters, this "game" doesn't even have much gameplay. Instead it focuses on "story", but the story is just awful. It manages to be both cringe-worthy and boring, which is a feat that I thought to be impossible to achieve, but Gone Home proved me wrong. You can buy a box of paper clips and have more fun with it than with Gone Home.
  45. Sep 3, 2013
    Thank goodness I looked at metacritic and not just critics' reviews as I thought I was losing my sanity. Every site is raving about this game and I found it a complete and total waste of $20.00. First off, it's extremely short. My steam logged just over an hour for me to finish the ENTIRE game. Secondly, the story was not something I cared for whatsoever and wasn't ground breaking in any way shape or form. The only interaction you have in this game is scanning through objects and listening to diary entries. It feels like a fourth of what a complete game should be.

If this game was 5 dollars it MIGHT be worth the purchase. For the 20 the developers are asking it's highway robbery. Whoever at that company got critics to write RAVING reviews to get schmucks like me to purchase it should get a medal. What a waste of time and money.
  46. Fre
    Sep 7, 2013
    This is not a game this is a one this is a first person lifetime movie with no real game play this is over hype and not worth anyone time unless you want a 2 hour 20$
  47. Sep 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Two girls fell in love and ran away! The parents went to couple's counseling for an affair the wife had. That's why no one's home! That's it! I just saved you an hour of your life! The entire game is just exploring the house and listening to some girl monologue about her budding romance with a girl named Loni. Yes, you can open doors, turn on lights, pick stuff up and shallowly toss them aside. You can read countless bits of meaninglessly pieces of paper. Expand
  48. Sep 16, 2013
    Horrifying lesbian and feminist propaganda, that attempts to brainwash the player for 20$.
    The most exiting moment is at the beginning, when a light-bulb flickers. That's it. Do not buy.
  49. Sep 18, 2013
    Its not a game, it has no gameplay, it basically an walking simulator. next time they should create a book instead of a game like that. the "game" itself has no replay value and takes 30 minutes to 1 hour to finish. 0/10, not a game.
  50. Oct 30, 2013
    This is literally one of the worst games that I've ever played.
    Somebody must've gotten paid off to give this a high review score, because it's literally garbage.
  51. Oct 30, 2013
    Not a game, period. You walk around a vacant mansion while your sister whines about her first-world problems. Two hours playtime, max. Several people have "beaten" this in under a minute not exaggerating. Even those terrible Sega CD-era FMV games were more fun than this. There is nothing more to say. In the time spent reading this review, you could have beaten this "game!" If you really want to experience it, you won't be missing out on anything if you simply watch someone else "play" it on YouTube. Expand
  52. Feb 16, 2014
    Boring, short, and uncreative. This game has nothing to offer as a game; and it is hardly passable as a interactive story. Save your money guys, buy yourself something you'll actually enjoy.
  53. Dec 1, 2013
    This is not a game. This is a scam for money. The programming is so crappy you could glitch the game and finish it in a matter 60 seconds.

The critics here are liars, they are paid to the bones to make this game look good. Please steer clear and save the video game industry by not touching anything like this.
  54. Dec 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the worst games I've every played. I even created a Metacritic account to write a review. This game presents itself as a suspense/mystery/thriller. Even the trailers indicated such. My boyfriend got me this game for Christmas, because I had been interested in trying it out.

It starts out with a creepy feeling, what with the music and the storm. The house looks like it was ransacked. The lights flicker. The house creaks. No one is home, and you don't know where anyone is. You find out your father had a psychopath for an uncle, and it might possibly run in the family. Your mother is on the verge of having an affair. The house might even be haunted! All of these are the ingredients for a perfect casual mystery thriller. But no, this ends up being a young lesbian love story, and a pretty stupid one at that. The house isn't haunted, your father is completely sane, your parents are in couples therapy, and your teenage sister just ran off with her lover.

It was a complete waste of two hours, in my opinion. I only gave it a "1" because I finished it. Silly me, I thought the story would develop further than it did.
  55. Dec 28, 2013
    Absurdly overpriced (20$) for a game that only lasts 1-2 hours and has very simplistic gameplay. I kind of wish I had some sort of warning about this before I bought it. The story is engaging at first until you realize nothing really interesting is going on and they may as well have made the story into a short movie or at least cut the price down significantly, I mean for a game that has story as its main focus the whole thing felt very underwhelming and when I figured out what the game wanted me to figure out I thought there had to be more to the story but I was wrong. I think I'd have appreciated it a lot more if the price was significantly reduced and there were more gameplay mechanics besides walking around a house looking at things but unfortunately Gone Home just didn't do it for me. Expand
  56. Oct 23, 2013
    I LOVE adventure games so I really wanted to give it a shot. What I didn't expect was the terrible storyline. It feels like a LGBT organization created the story to push an agenda. While politics aren't the main focus of the game, the constant jabs are there. I would stay away if you don't like leftist politics jammed down your throat the whole game.

I'll give it a 1 instead of a 0
    because other than the political slant, it's mildly entertaining. Expand
  57. Oct 3, 2013
    Decent voice acting doesn't save this game. I'm fine with exploring a house and discovering a story by piecing together scraps of info, but even that task was too challenging for the developers, who had to also use a voice-over of some sort of diary which you haven't found yet, which makes no sense in the context of the game. You had to piece together things in games like Myst too, but at least you weren't interrupted by a voice from the sky spouting drama and exposition and trying to fill in wholes in the story, what the hell? This is a game made by elitist idiots who think themselves "above" making an actual game, their only end goal is to tell a story that might have been provocative and ground-breaking if this was the 1950's, but it's 2013, nobody is shocked that you are homosexual and it doesn't make your life any harder or easier or anything other than anyone else's, you are not special and nobody cares about your overinflated drama. Avoid this at all costs, it's just a waste of time. Expand
  58. Dec 24, 2013
    Code-wise, it's poorly optimized, and the physics are poorly done. Not a game-breaker, nor is it unexpected, since it's an indie game.

Nostalgia-wise, it got some things wrong, like the model of the old SNES cartridges. Again, not a deal breaker, but notable, since a key to triggering nostalgia is getting the details right.

The big disappointment is the poorly thought out storylines.
    There are three (excluding the player) family members, each seemingly with their own stories, but only one of the three stories is properly fleshed out, since it's the focus of the vast majority of the game. The other two are ambiguous at best, and since most of the clues deal exclusively with the largest of the three storylines, the other two seem neglected. Furthermore, the "main" story plays out like a Hallmark movie, or one of those "very special episodes" of the old 90's sitcoms. It may speak to some, but to others, it's a bland, over-taught moral lesson that doesn't provide the motivation necessary to keep listening, let alone finish a game.

I'm not surprised that most critics, with their collective emphasis on maintaining good PR and requirement for pandering to the lowest common denominator, have simultaneously jumped on this shallow vehicle of a game. I am surprised by how far they've taken it, however. This game is, at best, decent. A 60 if you're feeling optimistic, a 40 if you're not. It certainly isn't worth a GOTY award. But regardless, the world of video game journalism seems to have let down their followers in this respect. Perhaps out of fear for their own careers, they have given this game praise it does not deserve and misled their followers into expecting more from this hollow shell of a game.

If there was ever any doubt in my mind that the integrity of the average video game journalist was next to non-existent, seeing it sold here for the price of a flimsy, political plot-device removed it.
  59. Sep 13, 2013
    Story-telling games are met with hesitation by many, personally I found it a tad contrived. As a game it should be judged in the usual video-game manner; things like game-play, re-playablitly and difficulty are non-existent.

It has some good thoughts put into it, yet the over hyped media leap really misses the point of video-games as a storytelling medium.

Testing the waters with the
    avant-garde is always a difficult task, sadly, Gone Home misses the mark and becomes quickly unmemorable. Many points could have been rethought and delivered to the audience in another manner, rather than shoving it down their throats. Video-games give the creators the option to make wonder and subtle story telling. Where what is told is only a small part, and only upon digging deeper into the world, characters, protagonists is is told.

Gome Home just reads you a story, and whether you like it or not, it's going to tell it AT you.

4/10 -
    +Something new
    o Focus on writing
    - Contrived
    - Lack of re-playability
    - Lack of game-play
  60. Oct 4, 2013
    This is one of the good sample of "ridiculously overrated short story types" which shouldn't be released to cruel and very elective PC platform. Especially for 20 dollars. Really?! You can buy bundles by that money. PC gamers expect much more than this however just because of it's an emotional story-even though it's a bad and very very histrionic one, so that i would almost puke- players want to experience it.
    Actually producers of this game can tell us what they want to in 2 paragraphs instead of making 1 hour game. Besides it is short, it is so boring, overly histrionic, average graphics but nothing.
    Terrible.
  61. Sep 9, 2013
    Don't understand why they gave this game 89 out of 100. I couldn't understand the whole story. The graphics are sluggish. It doesn't feel like a first person adventure game. Instead, its like from some part to some part. Worst game maybe. This game doesn't deserve this high amount of rating. The characters are interesting. The gameplay's too simple. Don't feel like playing a game.
  62. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was super-excited for this game, after seeing the many rapturous reviews and being intrigued by the concept. I've always been a fan of adventure games, right back to when that meant walls of text and N, S, E. I don't think there's any doubt that Gone Home's web site presents it as a mystery adventure, and the game's opening certainly sets up that atmosphere and expectation.

So I was somewhat disappointed when there turned out to be no puzzles in the course of gameplay, other than a couple of very obvious 'find the combination lock' obstacles, and I was bitterly disappointed when I was trammelled into an ending after about two hours. By that point, I'd realised that the 'game' was on rails anyway. Despite the illusion of being able to explore the house sand-box style, all you're really doing is triggering Sam's journal entries in linear sequence. And though you can pick up any object, it doesn't take long to realise that if it's not a piece of paper, you may as well not bother.

The graphics aren't even that great. They serve to establish an atmosphere, but there are just too many reused textures and objects for an environment that sells itself on realism and interesting mundanity.

The story unfolds interestingly enough, with some appealing voice acting. But nothing happens that you couldn't see coming a mile off, really. If Lonnie had turned psycho and buried Sam in the back garden (not that you have access to the back garden), that would have been cheesy but at least it would have been unexpected. In the end the end which comes so abruptly it feels like we're being asked to cheer for a 17 year old schoolgirl abandoning a college programme, and running off with an AWOL troublemaker. I can't help feeling that if the said troublemaker were male, this is not something an audience would be asked to feel warm and fuzzy about. We'd share Sam's parents quite reasonable concerns.

That aside, my overriding reaction was to feel soundly cheated out of £14.99. My entertainment budget is not huge and I have to think carefully before spending money on video games. Usually, they're a cost effective form of entertainment. This 'game' certainly is not. There's no way I would have spent that money if I'd known how short it was, I would go as far as to say that the promotion of the game is actually misleading and false advertising, and like many commentators, I'm baffled by the professional critics' idolatry of it. People should be warned.
  63. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You can beat this game way too fast. When the credits rolled, I was stunned. I really thought this was going to be some kind of horror game, but it turned out to be about a lesbian romance. Wish I would have bought something else. Expand
  64. Aug 30, 2013
    Felt a bit cheated on this one. I was pretty disappointed at the end. I played the entire thing in a few hours as my wife watched behind me which she like to do. She likes horror games and kept joking on the fact that nothing in this game is scary at all. It seems to try to be, with no payoff......ever.

The entire thing seemed to be a tribute to girl-power homosexuality. Everything
    else in the game was just filler, or more like red herrings which tried to convince you that this was actually a game. I laughed when I saw all the critics giving it 10's. To the masses that are asking why, allow me to opine...Replace the name Lonnie with Lenny and the scores all drop by 3-4 points. It all has to do with being PC and our modern day politics. I have nothing against these issues, just stay out of my games. Expand
  65. Sep 2, 2013
    Seriously not what official reviews make it out to be... left me very.... meh. like i knew what it was from the start. how it ended. waiting for a scary monster or to finally meet the people in the notes.
  66. Sep 5, 2013
    Not worth the money on Steam, inferior to something similar like Dear Esther. Resonated even less since I am from the UK and it's very USA specific in it's attempts to evoke nostalgia. Don't buy it.
  67. Sep 8, 2013
    It was like I was playing a re-imagining of Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea. You are the Old Man, you play this game, and come back empty-handed. It was very boring.
  68. Sep 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gave it a four but only after looking around on the internet and finding and explanation to the story regarding the Dad and the Uncle. Look it up for a detailed explanation but essentially the gist is that the Dad was abused by the Uncle and his book about a time traveler going back in time to save JFK was a cover for his own personal tragedy as both events happen in 1963.

I thought this a very intriguing story but only found out about it because I read about it on the internet. Why didn't I work this out when playing? Because the game doesn't seem to care much about it. All the focus is on the sister's story and the rest of the family's stories don't get resolved. What happened with the Mom's affair? What was the deal with the Uncle haunting the place? Was Kathryn at all interesting? (I guess no)... so an unresolved story around the Dad and Uncle was not surprising and I had no incentive to work the abuse story out on my own. That and I'm from Australia so had no idea what year JFK was assassinated so couldn't piece the events together.

I echo the complaints that others had: the main story just wasn't that interesting, the ending was disappointing, 2 hours of rifling through drawers and reading notes is boring, and $20 for a game you only play once is a joke.

Get it for free or don't bother.
  69. Jan 1, 2014
    Essentially a book with a boring old Seventh Heaven story and a clumsy interface for turning the pages. The "game" can literally be beaten in 1 minute.
  70. Oct 22, 2013
    This is an interactive story dressed as a game. The story is not that good and the interaction barely scratches the surface of what's possible inside a game world. Paying 9,49 euros on it during the 50% off period still feels like being ripped off. Also, Idle Thumbs can really hype the out of a bad experience.
  71. Oct 31, 2013
    Absolutely the WORST game I have ever had the misfortune to play! This was billed as a "mystery" and had rave reviews from the critics so I plopped down the $20 and was regretting it an hour later.

The game is so badly designed that it is literally possible to finish it in 45 seconds and all it entails is walking around listening to tedious teenage drama and THAT'S IT! No murder to
    solve, no ghosts to lay to rest no secrets to uncover, just a sappy love story that we are somehow supposed to take seriously.

Since lesbians are involved it seems that the professional critics are jumping all over themselves to give it a perfect score notice how NONE of them gave it a bad review while MOST user reviews were negative! That right there should tell you something!

If your idea of fun is to listen to a teenage lesbian croon about her badly written 90210-style romance (something the game ironically makes fun of) for an hour then this is the game for you! If however you want an actual mystery game and like your writing to be on a level beyond age 13 then avoid this money trap at all costs!
  72. Jan 29, 2014
    A poorly written story that received undeserved positive praise because of its themes. Just because something tackles difficult issues in society does not automatically make it a good literary work or video game. The critic reviews reflect very poorly on the current state of video game journalism.
  73. Nov 26, 2013
    Metacritic, please remove this from the video games section because it's not a game. It's hard to describe this.... whatever the hell it is. All I know is that it promotes statutory rape and can be "beaten" in 2 minutes. Don't "play" it under any circumstances. Don't even pirate it.
  74. Dec 10, 2013
    One of the games that proved reviewing websites are terrible. With a incredible short and overhyped story this game was not worth playing for free. The story was incredible mediocre and cliche and I feel if anyone thought it was well written probably has never read a book in there life. Anyone saying it was special is either a LGBT shill or just a woman. Do not play this game or give the company money for garbage like this. Expand
  75. Nov 26, 2013
    Two hours max for $20. No gameplay. Think Myst without the puzzles, or Dear Esther that's a little more open-ended. That's what you're getting here...
  76. Dec 7, 2013
    You can't even call this a game, it's a pretentious media presentation which presents a narrative wank job for those with a persecution complex to satisfy themselves with. Utter crap.
  77. Dec 11, 2013
    This can barely be considered a VN since it's so short. This game doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before. Calling it new and innovative because of it's lack of gameplay just means it's a movie. And a bad one at that.
    Thank god I didn't pay for it. I wonder If I can get my bandwidth back.
  78. Dec 23, 2013
    This whole game's success is because muh feminism and muh LBGT. Why no games about divorced fathers living in a rented flat and struggling to live because needs to pay wages? Why no games about a man convicted with a fake rape accusation? Why no games about men losing jobs after coworker pretended he molested her? Why no games about men working an entire life for their family just to have his wife destroy 30 years of honest work in a month?
    Why no games about women using guilt to manipulate children into religions or other ideologies?

This whole game's success is just a byproduct of the current society's hypocrisis.
    Makes you think to what low point we have come.
  79. Dec 26, 2013
    This is not a game, this is a pretentious interactive lifetime movie. There are literately no game mechanics to speak of. The story telling is on the same level of deviant art fan fiction. Absolutely horrible, avoid at all costs.
  80. Dec 26, 2013
    Can we stop with the obsession with this game? Gone Home has an interesting setup and completely falls flat after that. Sure the atmosphere is spooky but the game does nothing with it. I don't mind a game with minimal to no gameplay, such as The Walking Dead (which is amazing by the way), but Gone Home's story is very cut and dry, goes from point A to point B and then the game ends... IN UNDER 90 MINUTES!! Save your money and do not buy this "game" Expand
  81. Dec 26, 2013
    This is the most insulting way I've been conned into spending 6€ for anything. The 'official' reviews are obviously either biased or something worse, because there is no way one would appreciate this.
    I agree with some who said the reviews tell more about gaming journalism than they do the actual game. In fact, I think I won't buy a single 'real game' ever again.

This is the most
    amateurish, cringeworthy nonsense that I happened to see on a monitor. It would be offending to read it, but having to 'play' though it was so disgusting that words and comparisons fail me.

If you enjoy rummaging through an empty house filled with memories of a typical grunge/new wave problematic teenager girl, to the point of some idiotic and ineffective innuendo, you must be either:
    a) a very bored teenager (nothing wrong with it, but I think you could find the flatness of the story annoying)
    b) a new wave/grunge/etc hipster who when sees 90's stuff goes berserk and has Sonic Youth posters on the wall (you know the 'we killed our parents' one)

It's not a bad game. It's a bad idea and a worse execution. It's uninteresting, boring and plain pretentious to the point it becomes offensive to anyone intelligence. It's like supposing you've got so little to do, that you better spend time piecing together a B-class teenage romantic novel, masqueraded as a mystery.

It's not that, like some 'journalist' said "something different". Whatever it is, it's useless, meaningless and it's not different: it just tries to be different and fails miserably, becoming nothing.

It's not a game. And no, the story isn't interesting. It's stupid and very very shallow.

Donkey Kong had a better story
  82. Dec 26, 2013
    This is a barely interactive story. People have been sold a bill of goods by reviewers who have missed the point of what they are supposed to do, review a game based on its quality, not on its message or for what it is. Basically people have seen this in film for a long time now where films are overly praised by critics and even given awards because a certain group feels "noble" patting themselves on the back for praising such material and then basically think that others who are less enlightened than they are should view said material. Basically the way many religions work. Its just very misguided because people want objective reviews, not ones based on political bias. I personally have no issues with the issues of sexuality, I'm probably pro everything they are, but I don't need to be patronized to and be told I have play something because they think its good for me, not because it has objective quality. Basically, don't lie to me just because you think its for a good cause. That kind of thing is never justified. Expand
  83. Dec 29, 2013
    If you are unbearably board,and like mild a ass storyline this is a game for you.Who made this crap should unninstal all programs related to programing and buy a
  84. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretentious garbage. Revolutionary story-telling of an interesting story...I think not. I made an account just to post all the things I hated about this game.

From the first journal entry, my head hurt wondering "Where is this narrative coming from? I just picked up a matchbook, and for some reason a 2 minute clip about my little sister's bad school day is playing. Why?" The story should have unfolded in a way that makes sense.

A supernatural-horror theme is presented throughout the game via clues and the well delivered spooky atmosphere. This theme is the only engaging element in the game. It compelled me to finish the game. However, it ended up being one of the most disappointing red-herrings I have experienced. It only distracted from and lessened the real story, which is less than mediocre.

Of all the stories which could have been told, the worst one possible was chosen. Any of the houses other residents, including Katie, are more interesting than Sam. In particular, the stories of the mom and Oscar are far more intriguing in my opinion.

The boring story of teenage angst and naive optimism relies on sentiment for impact. How much sentiment can I feel for someone else's whining, self-absorbed teenager. Sam is a lesbian and feels alienated from her parents and peers. That sucks. I get that. However, she lives in an enormous house, with two parents who love and care about her, are involved in her life, and encourage her to develop as a person in many ways. She makes her problems out to be much bigger and important than they actually are. She has absolutely no remarkable character traits.

20$, are you kidding me?

I played it for free, yet can't understand the glowing reviews despite the mind-bogglingly terrible decisions the developers made.
  85. Jan 14, 2014
    I bought this game and bought into the hype that surrounded it. And it was sorely disappointing. It has great atmosphere, but it doesn't do anything with it. No twists, and what little build up there is comes to a very poor payoff. If you want to get an atmosphere of a home, go save yourself 20$ and go around your own house and pick up random objects for 2 hours. You won't be missing much.
  86. Jan 29, 2014
    If you've never read a book before, then you'll probably be amazed at the depth of storytelling in this first-person house snooping simulator as you spend two hours listening to a teenage girl whine about how hard life is.
  87. Jan 30, 2014
    A complete waste of an hour and a half of my half. The only reason people would give this game a 10 (or even anything over a 1) is because of the lesbian storyline. There's no reason to rate a game based solely on the storyline. Despite the graphics being TERRIBLE the game was horribly lagging (and my system can play newer games fine). There was also no real gameplay. To just wander a house reading memos and listening to voice-overs. There is no mystery to solve (well, I guess there is a mystery about the parents, but you never solve it). Everything is laid out for you in memos. There's no skill required at all. It makes this thing (I can't bring myself to call it a game), mind numbingly boring. On behalf of Oregonians everywhere I apologize to anyone who wasted their $20 on this mess. Seriously, don't buy this. Don't even waste your bandwidth downloading a pirated copy. It isn't worth it. Learn from my (and many others) mistakes. Avoid at all cost. Want a coming-of-age gay story, pick up a book. Want a fun game, play anything but this. Expand
  88. May 25, 2014
    The reviews would have you believe this is worth your time and the price of entry - critics are meant to be critical, sadly, this game got a free pass for tackling a coming of age story with a mundane, predictable twist. Save yourself the trouble - read a book instead.
  89. Jun 26, 2014
    I really wish I could take my money back. This game was completely advertised wrong. There is no suspense, no mystery, and no real compelling characters. The only reason I can imagine this game received any critical acclaim was due to the fact they picked a hot topic somewhat controversial social issue and threw it in there, forcing critics to give the game a high review lest they appear to be bigoted and out of touch with society.. There were no new mechanics, including story telling mechanics in this game. In short, the game was flat, boring, and brought nothing new or compelling to the art of video games. Expand
  90. Jan 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm usually VERY forgiving and interested in new game experiences. Reviews mention two key points: the interesting story, and the "freakiness" of exploring the house.

First, the story. Over half of the things you'll find or read are totally extraneous and do nothing to further any sort of interesting plot (or sub-plot). I don't want to spoil anything in case you get this on sale (DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE), but the story is a massive letdown with each plot thread that it opens up.

As for the the empty house situation, it could have been extremely freaky. Instead, they throw in some really obtuse references to some of the "creepy" things that happened and give you just the SLIGHTEST glimpse of problems in the house. A few diaries from the mom, or perhaps some really depressed letters from the dad would have made the experience A LOT freakier. I'd constantly have been worried that someone had gone nuts and done something horrible around the next corner.

I can not believe this game got so many 8s, 9s, and 10s. Had the story of any of these characters been told in a traditional format (movie, book, even someone speaking over a campfire) you would be bored to tears.

P.S. The contents of those locked containers were so bland. If I'm hunting for secrets, you better make it worth it.
  91. Oct 28, 2013
    I love indie games, I love games that allow me to explore, I love good stories. What I don't love is wasting my money on a "exploration/story" game that I figure out all the interesting stuff about the family in like the first 30 mins of exploring. I was so excited to play this because it had my interests all sparked, how the hell this game got such good reviews I don't know, like I said any good information I found while exploring was found so fast that it made the game seem pointless. I could make a damn game about a troubled family, hide in a house and play some decent hipster music too... LOL but for real everyone, if you're super interested fine buy it but atleast wait for a big steam sale and for the love of god don't expect much. Havent been this disappointed in a game in a long time Expand
  92. Dec 21, 2013
    So i've heard great things about this game from reviews and dcided to try it. Trash, thats it. You arrive to an empty house and have to walk around and find hidden rooms and letters, it's boring, no puzzles or gameplay at all. The first 5 minutes i was neutral, it wasn't boring but not fun, then after 7 minutes i had to endure to complete the game, waste of time, the only reason someone would buy this is if level 1 tetris is to hard for them Expand
  93. Jan 23, 2014
    This is the worst attempt of a game I have ever played in 25+ years of gaming. Critics want to give the creators a medal for the agenda in this game which is homosexuality, like these game developers discovered it exists or something. It is nothing close to a game, it contributes nothing new to any genre and most importantly, it is not worth the value for your hard earned money. Stay away at all costs, or wait until it costs 99 cents. What a forgettable and pretentious experience. Expand
  94. Feb 14, 2014
    Over rated game that has a surprisingly boring plot.

The only reason this even got decent scores from other ratings is because of political correct yuppies that think one relationship in the game should deserve it a 10/10 score.
  95. Nov 24, 2013
    Filled with nonsensical ideological plugs, it's basically just a cardboard cutout screaming about grrrrrl power and the unpleasantness of coming out as gay to your parents. Would have been more interesting with less repetitive and flat gameplay. It's a poor general narrative, and largely unsurprising. More of a Feminist Theory 101 course than an actual game. Almost as terrible as Dear Esther.

Tl;dr, next time; make a movie.
  96. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me save you $20.

Your mom cheated on your dad and they're at a couples retreat to improve their relationship. Your sister is gay and skipped town with her lover.

Nothing special here folks.
  97. Sep 3, 2013
    This game has very little interactivity and exploration that just does not fit it's $20 price tag. The game has very little to do and seems to think that exposition via letters that magic into your head is even necessary, despite the fact you can figure out what happened in less than half an hour if you're running through blind. Overall I did not enjoy the fact that the game had many of it's plots end ominously, such as uncle Jack's story. I would much rather a game about uncle Jack then the protagonist, who is barely even a part of the story despite being a member of such a small family. Expand
  98. sdi
    Sep 27, 2013
    This finely crafted interactive movie can be hardly considered a game and definitely does not resemble what the deceptive marketing made it out to be.
  99. Jun 26, 2014
    Hello there childrens, join me today for the most boring, akward, not-interesting journey about Sam, some girl with no personality whatsoever!

As first, let's get this through: this is a first person adventure, so I wasn't expecting much action or big stuff goin on since it's all based on the plot.
    But why do you even make a game like this if your plot it's usless? We'll focus more on
    this later.

The map it's surprisingly good looking, and there are lot of stuff you can interact with, and most of them will bring you back the 90s feel (such as VHS, cassette tapes etc). Most of the models looks very good, and the graphic is fine.

I don't really know what to say about the soundtrack. Sometimes it's really really good and it work well with the moment, sometimes well.. it's just silly. A sad song pops up almost out of nowhere, or you find a cassette tape with a song that will make your ear bleed and grow a mouth that will ask you to stop playing the game.

The voice acting it's good, but in the end, there is just 1 actress, the main protagonist talking. She's good, but doesen't help the story to look interesting. Also, her laugh makes me unconfortable.

And now, the main thing about the game. The story. Short, predictable and pointless. ****

You have this setting: you're Sam, a girl that it's coming back home after a while to find out that no one it's home. But why? We'll see that later on.
    You have to explore the home to find out more about your past and to what happened to everyone. Turns out you're "not attracted to men" and you had a long complicated story with your partner. A love story that for most of the time it's **** akward to listen and really made me unconfortable BUT NOT because of the sexual iterest into someone of the same gender, don't get me wrong, it was akward BECAUSE IT GET REALLY **** RIDICULOUS FOR MOST OF THE EVENTS SHE'S NARRATING. And most of this event ends up with her crying. What a surprise.
    In the end, to be honest, the story could have been interesting or a little more enjoyable if something big whould happen, like some trama plot. But nope, in the end they tear apart, they never saw each other, teh edn. Boo-hoo ending I guess. Not working at all.
    Oh and what happened to the family, why they leave the house? I dunno. Why, do you care? Should we care? I think the story it's already good without some explanation. Effin-great.

Also, this game looks easy as it can gets. There are almost no puzzles, just a bunch of combination or paper that tells you where to find hidden spots (just 2 or 3 in the whole game) and it's super short. I've beat this game in 77 minutes. And what's the best part? If you like to mess around, you could easly find the main hidden spot, get the key, go to the attic and beat the game in 3 minutes! Who designed this **** Aha!

Final rating: 2/10

You probably need to be some Tumblr feminist girl to enjoy this story. Probably even them find this game offensive.

Oh, almost forgot, this won "Best PC game" over "Paper, please" and "Stanley Parable". Good.
  100. Dec 27, 2013
    This game makes for mixed feelings. From an artistic standpoint and the way the game goes about telling the story I may be hard pressed to not give it a 9 or 10. That being said from a video game standpoint, I settled on a 4. It's short, expensive, and at the end of the day is better suited as a youtube video than a game by itself. Interesting story, not what I expected but at the end of the day, this is worth it for $5 or so. $20 and you'll be left feeling robbed. Expand

1. Jan 5, 2014
    A beautiful, emotionally engaging, artfully crafted game, completely centered around exploration and telling a mature story through interaction.
  2. Dec 2, 2013
    A story that will move some and alienate others.
  3. Nov 10, 2013
    Gone home is a beautiful story told with talent. The total immersion and storytelling brings a sense of renewal in the world of video games. Unfortunately, lifespan is too short: 2 hours are enough to see the end.