Gone Home PC

5.3

1. Aug 18, 2013
    I'm rating this game a five in protest to rave scores from professional critics. Oh, I'm perfectly fine with indie games, as well as 'experience' 'games' in general, but giving this short collection of interactive notes (that's what this really is) anything over 60 or 70 is ridiculous.
  2. Aug 17, 2013
    Not much of a "Game" but rather an interactive story. Could have been an interesting experience if the story wasn't so obvious, I knew the entire plot within the first 15 minutes of the game, and the ending was so stereotypical which left me closing the game in major disappointment after finishing it. Also with only 2 hours of gameplay and literally zero replayability it is quite a steep price.
  3. Aug 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very excited after reading the reviews to play this game, but equally disappointed after finishing it in 2 hours. You arrive back home after a year abroad in Europe learning in the first few minutes that your house is known throughout the small Oregon town setting as the "Psycho House," and that it might be haunted by your dead uncle. The house is big, the lights flicker, the noises are offsetting, and there are secret panels and passage ways. However, all of that is a big red herring. About 30 minutes into the game, you learn that you kid sister is probably a lesbian, and that's the big reveal at the end of the game you learn your sister ran off to be with her female lover, Lonnie, to the chagrin of your dysfunctional parents. Throughout the obvious but slow "coming out" of your sister through reading her diary entries and listening to her very Sleater-Kinney-esque mix tapes, you learn that your mom is probably having an affair with a park ranger and that your father is a failed aloof scifi writer who enjoys his whiskey. I did enjoy all the 90s indie music, x-files, twin peaks, videogame, and movie references, but really the whole game came off as an interactive version of Tracie Chapman's song, "Fast Car." Expand
  4. Aug 17, 2013
    This game has so much action that it is quite difficult to describe it. Imagine searching through big house and reading diaries. Just amazing way to spend a day if you are working on a ship or if you are in prison.
    Not my cup of tea, but it has some thriller effect inside. I will rate it 6,0 just because it is different then modern brainless shooters and because you actually need to use your brain.
  5. Aug 18, 2013
    Perfectly OK title, but there is nothing innovative or special about it. It only takes about 2 hours to play through, has no puzzles or intellectual challenge, and the story is dull as dishwater. The reason I'm even inclined to write a review is because I paid $17 for this, which is WAAAY too much. It should have retailed for $5 max. People praising this game as extraordinary either havePerfectly OK title, but there is nothing innovative or special about it. It only takes about 2 hours to play through, has no puzzles or intellectual challenge, and the story is dull as dishwater. The reason I'm even inclined to write a review is because I paid $17 for this, which is WAAAY too much. It should have retailed for $5 max. People praising this game as extraordinary either have no exposure to other games or have terribly low standards. Expand
  6. Dec 31, 2013
    I'm not sure how to rate this game because I think the way it tells a story is really good, however, I don't think it's 20$ good. There's about 3 hours of gameplay, maybe less, and literally 0 replay value to the game. It's very hard to miss notes because you pretty much have to get them all to complete the game. The story is good, but once again, the game is so short its frustrating. IfI'm not sure how to rate this game because I think the way it tells a story is really good, however, I don't think it's 20$ good. There's about 3 hours of gameplay, maybe less, and literally 0 replay value to the game. It's very hard to miss notes because you pretty much have to get them all to complete the game. The story is good, but once again, the game is so short its frustrating. If the game had some sort of expansion pack or something like that, then I think the game MIGHT get it's value out of it. If this was a 1 dollar game or even a free game, then the score would be a different story. But the fact that the game is so short, and so pricey, I cannot give this game a good score. Expand
  7. Jul 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Plain and simple, it's an interactive story. I'm not knockin' it for that. It's just that.....
    ....that ending was absolutely ridiculous! I cracked up so hard. To summarize, the main character's little sister has a lesbian love affair, and their Ouija board tells them to run off together, and the parents are gone looking for them. That's why you come home to an empty house, lol!
  8. Dec 30, 2013
    The gameplay consists of nothing more than picking up and reading items while a narrative tells a story a trite, clichéd story that's ending leaves the player flat with the all too familiar, "That's it?" reaction. It's worth a once-through if you get it for under $5 on a Steam sale, but nothing more. The "professional" critics are doing gamers a disservice on this one with their 9s andThe gameplay consists of nothing more than picking up and reading items while a narrative tells a story a trite, clichéd story that's ending leaves the player flat with the all too familiar, "That's it?" reaction. It's worth a once-through if you get it for under $5 on a Steam sale, but nothing more. The "professional" critics are doing gamers a disservice on this one with their 9s and 10s and GOTY recommendations. Expand
  9. Jan 15, 2015
    Gone home is a first person, interactive game, where you, the main character, searches through the house your younger sister and parents moved into, while you were away traveling. You go through the house and learn the secrets that each family member has. Although there are many different stories the main one you follow, about her younger sister, is the most interesting.

In gone home

In gone home you first find a note your sister (Katie) has left on the front door saying “Please, please don’t go digging around trying to find out where I am.“ Of course you ignore that and enter the house ready to do some of the best snooping possible. As you begin your raid you learn about the family and where they work and some simple things, nothing juicy. Although the game starts off pretty slow you quickly start ripping apart drawers and find some interesting yet confusing photos, articles and notes. You quickly get into the rooms and find out that everyone is being a little bit of snake. If you take the opportunity to sift out every little note, crumpled piece of paper and anything you can read or even just look at the game gets a lot richer.

The game does a great job of giving you the basic premise of what is going on in each family members life. They leave enough room for interpretation that you can draw your own conclusions with the satisfaction of labeling everyone a snake with significance evidence supporting it. With this being said I would have loved to know what happened to the “Good ol’ Christmas Duck” The house itself gives you a very creepy vibe and adds to the suspense of what will happen next. As the floors creek and your fear has you peaking around every corner the anticipation of a jump-scare enforces the steady pace you should have when playing.

The game was entertaining enough to play again even after knowing the outcome of all the characters. Also I found that there was always something new each time I went back. I recommend this game for those who love games that have a wonderful story.
  10. Nov 5, 2013
    I want to start out by saying I enjoy the gameplay elements of this game and want to see it used in a horror game. But the story is poor and mediocre. The only reason the story is praised is because of the gay elements but it nothing more then a cliched, teenage angst story made to look like could have horror elements.
  11. Dec 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am an older game player (62). I think this game is average in just about every way: graphics, sound, story line. Perhaps the thing that bothers me most is the ending. I think the fact that our young friend decided to be a runaway is disconcerting. Kids that age have all sorts of strange ideas and drives. This game seems to laud very questionable behavior. Let's face it: she has no money, and no real education. She is taking off with her friend to a life that will almost certainly be a miserable one, once the initial thrill wears off. I just to heck that this games does not encourage anyone else to do this sort of thing. Expand
  12. Sep 27, 2013
    A unique experience. Past games taught me to be afraid of dark, empty houses, and at first I was expecting monsters to jump at me from around the corners. By the end of the first half-hour, though, it's clear that this is about exploration and story, told through all mediums: text, audio, and graphical notes.

It's a shame the story wasn't better...
  13. Nov 1, 2013
    Let’s begin by confirming what others have been saying that there is no way this game is a 87. Paying $20 for a few hours of gameplay inherenently made me feel cheated. There is really no replay value.
    When you first get dropped off and realize that something is not quite right. You get the sense that you’re in for a treat and the game will be every bit as good as the critic scores suggest. Unfortunately, the “twist” comes somewhat early, which really kills the mystery to the game. That feeling of unknowing mystery from the beginning quickly dissipates. There are a few times where you think that the game could reintroduce a sense of mystery, but those themes lead to nothing and feel like immensely missed opportunities. Luckily, The atmosphere at has a twinge of creepiness that just goes along with being in a mansion by yourself. It never really amounts to anything. Additionally, the gameplay isn’t too varied. Pretty much all clues are in the form of scattered documents. I found it too often that pages 1, 2, 3, 4 of one document are at completely different corners of the house. It really does feel like a contrived bread crumb for you to follow. The game is a great concept that I hope will be expounded (to a much greater extent) into the future. While there are a few surprises, this game could have been so much more and it is the first feeling I got when I had completed the game.
  14. Sep 7, 2013
    Just when I was getting invested into the story.....it just ends. I leave my pc with my jaw wide open uttering the words "That's it? That's the ending?" The final act of this game leaves you so cold it's terrible.
  15. Sep 7, 2013
    Don't buy into the hype, but don't fall for the extreme negativism either. I bought this game as a result of the reviews. To me it doesn't earn a 10 or anything above a 6.
    The amount of game play to complete does not, IMO, warrant a $19.99 price tag. Unlike other users, I had no issues with glitches or the functionality of the game.
    The storyline was engaging enough to keep me playing
    The storyline was engaging enough to keep me playing (which is saying something), but the end was sadly predictable. I found myself waiting for something startling to happen, but it didn't. Frankly, short was good considering I was tired of following the predictable plot line.
    The ability to interact with objects was unnecessarily overdone. There were far too many empty drawers to open, tissue boxes and 3-ring binders to pick up- all with no relevance to the game. And no, I don't care about the nutritional information on the cans of cola strewn about the mansion.
    Props to the devs for the retro theme. I had particular fun with the 3D print in Sam's room as a throwback to the '90s.
    I would like to have seen the parents' individual storylines fleshed out much more.
    Overall, I'm giving it a 6, because I feel that this genre of game has massive potential (think Zork from the '80s), but it is also extremely difficult to do well. It is easier to captivate with big baddies and shiny loot than to engage the player with simple environments and story driven plots. Gone Home had me engaged from the beginning to end, but ultimately I may not have had the patience for it to go on much longer as it is written. For the price, I am looking for better.
  16. Dec 27, 2013
    There isn't much to a game with edgy storytelling if there isn't much of a story to tell. Gone Home excels in pushing the boundaries of storytelling but suffers as the story it's trying to tell is bland and banal.
  17. Sep 17, 2013
    I am not totally against story based games as the walking dead was excellent but gone home is horrible bad graphics which is important for atmosphere in these types of games all you do is collect notes with a forgettable story and all the blind thick skulled critics gave it a 10/10 $20.00 is $20.00 too much.
  18. Aug 17, 2013
    This game was interesting, as far as game "play" and storyline. However, is it short, short, short. I played through the ENTIRE game in about 2 hours. A little disappointing for the price.
  19. Dec 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Strange game. Word "game" is too enough for this. Interactive story or maybe interactive book, but not the game. Gone home has no interaction, no puzzles (except key hunting) but almost every time you're reading scraps of leters, opening drawers and turnings lights, investigating where your family is and what happend. That is the probably the most interesting thing in the game. The end came fast, all the time I expected some story twist but didnt come. Expand
  20. Feb 1, 2014
    I finished the game in 2.5 hours and was really disappointed. The storyline kept you interested the whole time, and the 90s memorabilia lying around the house was fun, but that was about it. Other than that it was simply entering rooms, switching on lights, and listening to emotional voiceovers that walked you through a story worthy of Dawson's Creek. Really too bad because with a betterI finished the game in 2.5 hours and was really disappointed. The storyline kept you interested the whole time, and the 90s memorabilia lying around the house was fun, but that was about it. Other than that it was simply entering rooms, switching on lights, and listening to emotional voiceovers that walked you through a story worthy of Dawson's Creek. Really too bad because with a better story the medium would have made for a simply AWESOME game. This way: meh. Expand
  21. Dec 17, 2014
    I enjoyed the game alot. If you like just exploring a world, and letting the world tell its story, then you should like this game. There's also more going on than the main storyline if you let yourself soak in the story. It's a story about family and family history. There's a lot been written, but I found myself engaged the entire way through, and felt the pacing and development were spotI enjoyed the game alot. If you like just exploring a world, and letting the world tell its story, then you should like this game. There's also more going on than the main storyline if you let yourself soak in the story. It's a story about family and family history. There's a lot been written, but I found myself engaged the entire way through, and felt the pacing and development were spot on.

It's not a scary game. I don't like scary/tense games. This is not like that. Don't let concerns like that bother you. It's atmospheric - stormy night, big empty old unfamiliar house... but nothing there is gonna eat you!

Other games that might have similar gameplay experience. Dear Esther (I liked Gone Home better than Dear Esther) and perhaps Lifeless Planet (which I really enjoyed). To The Moon is probably a similar experience (but different art aesthetic.)

If this sounds the least bit interesting, I suggest you give it a try. I'm glad I played
  22. Oct 2, 2013
    I bought this game because the very good reviews all around the Internet, I was so hyped as I love this kind of games which are very story (and narrative driven). I got the game, and it is by far one of the worst games I've ever played. It does not worth my time and money.

Let's start with the good first. I loved the first 30 minutes of the game. It was very thrilling and well narrative. Reading documents and trying to analyze the mystery was fun at first. But here is the real problem, the game is just too short. When I say too short I mean really really short. It took me about two hours to go through everything on the game to finish it. Which is why this game does not worth the price tag 20$, not even half of the price. My second problem with the game is the story. I said I loved the atmosphere and the narrative, but when it comes to the story, I did not like it at all. I do not want to spoil anything, but the story simply bad.

At the end, I regret every second playing the game. I really thought I might have fun with it. I was so looking forward to spend a good night with the game, but it turns out the game does not worth my time
  23. Sep 3, 2013
    First of all, this is a "reactive" review, and i'll explain what I mean shortly. After seeing so high praise for this game, I decided it was time to play it myself. Is 1 out of 10 justified..? No but giving this a 10 out of 10 is just as bad.

This game is very interesting and I think a lot of people hating it, are not admitting they actually liked playing it, because arguably this is a very enjoyable game if you like story-focused games. The problem however, is that when everything in Gone Home is said and done, you'll leave house of the Greenbriar family with a feeling of emptiness. It offers what ends up being a very cut and dry, completely ordinary and nowhere near thought-provoking story.

If someone spoiled the story for you, you've already heard what there is to experience in this game. It offers nothing more and for a 1-3 hour game I don't think the price-point it launched with was justified.

Don't let this game fool you. It's not deeper than it seems. There is nothing to learn from this game aside from observing the way it tells its story. That's the true meal of Gone Home. It has a lot of great ideas to tell its story, because it uses red herrings as a means to distract the player from the main story and in the middle of the game the player might be unsure of whether it's actually a tragic tale or just an ordinary day for the protagonist.

I think all the 2s out of 10s this game is getting by the user base is a reaction on all the praise it gets from the bigger video-game reviewers. There's nothing particularly special about the story in this game, and in the end it feels like you've been cheated.

I'm letting Fullbright off the hook with my review. It was interesting to play Gone Home, and I enjoyed it a lot. But when I finally pieced everything together I realised I might actually have been wasting my time. This is a definitive "hipster-game"
  24. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a game, or explorable, interactive environment if the word "game" doesn't quite fit, Gone Home seems to work hard to tell a story, use a voice, that is not commonly, if ever, heard in games. There are laudable intentions and good ideas here, but, for all the critical praise it has been given, even if you enjoy or appreciate some or all elements, it's not something that is without flaw or fault. No creative endeavour ever is.

So, under the hyperbole, what is Gone Home? It's an interesting and valid way to tell the story of a white teenager, Sam Greenbriar, in her own voice, expressing her experiences and sexual identity. The player as her older sister, Katie, gets to discover not just what has been happening in Sam's life during twelve months away in Europe, but also what has been happening in the lives of Terry and Jan, their parents.

It's a great premise; if you have the opportunity to find out about the details and secrets of the people closest to you, do you actually want to know what you discover about them? This is where Gone Home is at its strongest. It treats most of the characters as complex, realistic people and regardless of whether you like or empathise with them personally, you get to know them through the material aspects that surround them.

Unfortunately, it can also highlight the weakness of narrative technique. Sam's story and personality dominates with the voice over work (although the English-speaking voice actress is good) to the point that it leaves the other characters feeling a bit flatter and lacking in dimension by comparison. Although it is definitely Sam's story it doesn't have to be told to the detriment of an ensemble cast.

There's also story pacing problems and this is where the technical limitations, like re-use of assets, can become noticeable. It's an understandable problem, but when you're beginning to notice that there seem to be a lot of the same pizza boxes, piles of scrap paper and envelopes or that Jan seems to really, really love the same three types of house plant, it's rather like when your attention is on the over-acting extras in the background of a film than the scene that is happening with the actors in the foreground. The scene becomes broken.

One of my biggest issues with the game is the misdirection of the 'haunted house' themes that play out. There's a couple of jump scares and a consistently heightened atmosphere for the player, but if you're a fan of supernatural horror it's probably going to be a disappointment at the lack of pay-off you receive and that the game also consistently points out that the supernatural elements all have completely logical and in-game context reasons for happening.

If you're not a fan and don't buy into the sometimes creaky deployment (e.g the looping lightning storm that stays at the same exact intensity no matter how long you take to reach the end of the game or where you are in the house) then it can seem an unnecessary use of tropes. It doesn't add anything in particular to the story that couldn't have been included by different means. The worst part of its use has to be with how it factors into Terry Greenbriar's backstory.

This is the literal 'dark secret in the basement' which the player has to mentally piece together with evidence found elsewhere in the house. It's a piece of stereotypical genre writing that portrays something that absolutely doesn't need a re-telling for the nth time in this way, either through the imagery used or the basic awfulness of who it is that has the greater role in revealing it to the player. The Fullbright Company, in this case, you can do better, much better.

Overall, it's a take on the exploration and discovery experience that is very much needed and has some good ideas and execution, if bound by technical limitations. If it's going to come down to the handing out of laurels; I'd say this is a company to watch from this point on rather than piling fulsome praise on what is a first full game that has its own particular growing pains.
  25. Nov 30, 2013
    I DON’T RECOMMEND THIS GAME AT FULL PRICE

BUY ONLY AT 75% OFF. Gone home is a first person exploration game. Well maybe it’s not a game but more of an experience. There are no puzzles, no challenge and nothing to put your game skills to test here. This “game” is all about exploring a house, looking at items and basically learning more about the people who live in the house and their
    I DON’T RECOMMEND THIS GAME AT FULL PRICE

BUY ONLY AT 75% OFF.

Gone home is a first person exploration game. Well maybe it’s not a game but more of an experience. There are no puzzles, no challenge and nothing to put your game skills to test here. This “game” is all about exploring a house, looking at items and basically learning more about the people who live in the house and their background. Without spoiling the story because this is the meat” of the game I will have to say that it tries to create an emotional connection with the user but the problem here is that THIS connection is hard to be established on all people who play the game and it depends on their own norms/values. That is also the reason that some people like the game and others dont. Furthermore this game is full of Easter eggs. If you were born in the 80’s just like me you will find a lot of references here. Some items will bring back memories from your childhood. The “game” is all about creating nostalgia but nonetheless it covers a very sensitive topic.

Personally the story for ME was not very touching and to tell the truth I enjoyed exploring the house and finding those 80’s and early 90’s easter eggs more. The main story was average and predictable to say the least.

Pros: beautiful environment that looks and feels like a real house, lots of Easter eggs, 80’s nostalgia is everywhere, good voice work, the soundtrack is excellent and the music fits with the tone of the game

Cons: main story it’s predictable and boring, there is no real gameplay here, no replayability, the game is only 2 hours long and it’s also very expensive for its duration.

FINAL SCORE: 6.5/10
  26. Sep 22, 2013
    This "game" is hard to rate. Because although it fits the definition of a game, it isnt really. Its more of an interactive book played out through a house. Its only 2 hours but its meant to immerse you and learn the family only through look around the house. The problem is, it doesnt even do that very well. I like the story and the ending but it presence itself in a weird way. It reads youThis "game" is hard to rate. Because although it fits the definition of a game, it isnt really. Its more of an interactive book played out through a house. Its only 2 hours but its meant to immerse you and learn the family only through look around the house. The problem is, it doesnt even do that very well. I like the story and the ending but it presence itself in a weird way. It reads you journal entries from absolutely nowhere, serious where did it come from? There a notes scattered which are pretty interesting but there just isnt enough of them and they are so easy to find. Not to mention they are place in very stupid locations. Such as Sam's private diary being in Kat's room on a bedside table. The story about the haunted house is totally underdeveloped and leads to nothing.

The house is very interesting and well designed for most of the time. I actually really enjoyed myself and the ending warmed my heart, but it was afterwards I realised the faults. Its fun just unfinished and underdone. Add more notes and make it longer and this would be with the absolutely ridiculous price. This game should not have been worth more than $5.
  27. Sep 9, 2013
    It's just not my adventure. The love story was nice, and it looked fairly good, but it's lacking substance for the price. This should be a $10.00 USD game for the two hours it took to complete it. I liked it, yet it needs another year of making it into a full game.
  28. Nov 10, 2013
    Pretend yourself in a situation where you are left to be alone at your friend's house and they gave permission to "Do whatever you want, anything at all" and you thought of exploring the house. While you are at it, will you get disturbances like in horror movies? Find a secret passageway that leads you to new chain of adventures and secrets? Discover the mysteries of the family of yourPretend yourself in a situation where you are left to be alone at your friend's house and they gave permission to "Do whatever you want, anything at all" and you thought of exploring the house. While you are at it, will you get disturbances like in horror movies? Find a secret passageway that leads you to new chain of adventures and secrets? Discover the mysteries of the family of your friends that can be life changing to yourself?

None whatsoever. and that is exactly what Gone Home is. a realistic own home exploration game that only focus on telling you family stories on top of putting nostalgic items from the 90 's for display.

For myself, the main story are not as interesting. In fact, it gets predictable the further you go so there's not much surprises. Game-wise, it's very casual which could easily bore you. If you care about the game play, and storyline means nothing much to you, I won't suggest this game.

I like the game as it is, but I'm not sure I enjoy it enough.
  29. Dec 2, 2013
    I liked this game for the most part. It makes you piece together the story yourself, through searching your house and discovering clues as to where your sister and parents have gone. It's a form of storytelling that I think should be in more games. I thought the story was superb... until I got to the end. I left my ninety minute experience angry and disappointed, because this game tricksI liked this game for the most part. It makes you piece together the story yourself, through searching your house and discovering clues as to where your sister and parents have gone. It's a form of storytelling that I think should be in more games. I thought the story was superb... until I got to the end. I left my ninety minute experience angry and disappointed, because this game tricks you into believing something interesting is going on... But it's not... seriously at the end it was a huge let down, and the game tricks you like this on purpose. It's also too expensive, don't pay more than a couple of dollars for this game it's way too short. Expand
  30. Dec 12, 2013
    I agree with most of the people on here that say Gone Home is conceptually brilliant and essential, and I also agree with those that think the story is somewhat bland. I appreciate the unique perspective, and the game really drips with nostalgia for the 1990's Portland underground. It really does feel like it really understands time and place. However, there's actually little story, it'sI agree with most of the people on here that say Gone Home is conceptually brilliant and essential, and I also agree with those that think the story is somewhat bland. I appreciate the unique perspective, and the game really drips with nostalgia for the 1990's Portland underground. It really does feel like it really understands time and place. However, there's actually little story, it's more of a short interactive fiction work.

It's also too expensive. If I had paid $20 for this like some on here, I'd be furious with the length and lack of interaction. At $10 it's still a bit pricey. I'm not sure if the high cost is due to a custom engine, but if that's the case, they should have likely got something off the shelf and made the game cheaper. Unless you can get this for $10 or less, I unfortunately cannot recommend it despite the fact that it's something everyone should play once.
  31. Dec 15, 2014
    Gone Home is a game created by the upstart Fullbright Company, a newcomer to the gaming community made up of former BioShock employees. It is as much an interactive story as it is a video game, and is a new experience in first person gaming.
    Since 2012, the year Gone Home was released, it has garnered positive reviews in the gaming world and even won a few awards, most recently the 2014 BAFTA Games Award for Debut Game. The story focuses on a rainy night in June 1995, when Kaitlin Greenbrier arrives home from a year backpacking through Europe to find a new house all moved into but with no one in it. The only clue you begin with is a note on the door from her sister Sam, telling Katie not to go looking for her.
    The game then becomes what you make of it, as you are free to explore the house at your liberty. The game does have a plot line, but following the story is contingent on you finding the clues found around the household. The story does take shape in the form of Sam’s journal entries, which can be found by interacting with the many objects strewn about the house. The house is full of mysteries, and it is up to you to unlock them.
    What I really enjoyed about the game was the fact that you control what you find and when you find it. You find things in no particular order, and it forces you to formulate the story on your own. While rummaging around the house, you find many old family heirlooms, you uncover family secrets and you find out who the family is. What really brings you into the story is the familiarity of what you find in the house and how it can relate to your own family.
    I would say the graphics of the game are more than decent, even good, yet the lighting of the game is poor in some respects. It is used effectively to convey certain tones, but it is really irritating to not be able to see what is around you. You are blind to many things in this game, in more respects than just visually.
    The game is set in 1995, which may not seem like an important fact, but it provides the groundwork for Gone Home. It provides the perfect chronological setting for Katie to be out of the loop in terms of her family matters, and allows the whole game to exist. The social movement of that time and other factors from the mid 90’s allow the narrative of the game to exist as it is and become what it does.
    Why would you want to play this game you may ask? If I had to pick a singular reason, it would be that the story will captivate you and make you want to play and finish the game. It is less of a game then an interactive story, but is that not what video games are? I find that you either really enjoy Gone Home or not at all, and I greatly enjoyed it. So if you have a few hours to kill, open up your computer and play it, you might enjoy it.
  32. Dec 15, 2014
    Gone Home is a first-person, single player, point and click, search and discover game where the player explores a storyline and eventually solves a mystery. The player enters the game, or interactive story, in the year 1995, from the narrative point of view of Katie Greenbriar, a 21-year-old who has just arrived back to Portland, Oregon from a backpacking trip in Europe, only to discoverGone Home is a first-person, single player, point and click, search and discover game where the player explores a storyline and eventually solves a mystery. The player enters the game, or interactive story, in the year 1995, from the narrative point of view of Katie Greenbriar, a 21-year-old who has just arrived back to Portland, Oregon from a backpacking trip in Europe, only to discover that her family appears to be missing from their gloomy, newly inherited mansion. Finding nobody home, it is up to Katie to discover what has transpired over the last year. The player begins the task of piecing together clues which objects around the mansion reveal. Some surprising details reveal the main plot while others simply enrich the background stories of the characters’ pasts and their intentions for the future.

Gone Home was developed in 2013 by The Fullbright Company, which is owned and operated by three developers who had previously worked on a downloadable content expansion pack for BioShock Infinite owned by 2K, a big budget gaming developer. Such gaming developers typically produce games that are online multiplayer, involving leaderboards, high quality graphics, and which usually have a first-person shooter aspect to them. Gone Home is a completely different type of game where the focus is on a memorable storyline and the objective is to explore the lives and actions of the story’s characters to the point where you reach the conclusion of the story and thus the end of the game.

The gameplay in Gone Home consists of self-determined exploration of different rooms where, for example, the gamer examines notes, objects, and audio journals spoken in the voice of Katie’s sister, Sam. Uncovering these well-thought-out details was the most captivating part of the whole game and did peek my curiosity as to what they would reveal about the story. Simulated ambient noises and audio effects were well done and professionally produced creating a realistic environment.

A drawback and ultimate frustration about the gameplay was the complete focus on the steps of point, click and examine in order to make discoveries and keep the game going. There was a monotony to the clicking of a mouse in order to reveal the information the objects contained. The graphics fairly were fairly simple when compared with the photorealistic graphics of other games today, but it is what to expect from an indie game. Another downside for me was the fact that my actions did not determine any different outcome to the story, rather I was only making discoveries. The fact that the game has an ending that takes roughly two-hours to complete does not lend itself to being a good value for $20, especially as it has little to no replay value. On a final note, I had been hoping the story was going to make a turn into the occult or supernatural genre, and had thought that this was a possibility based on the creators’ past involvement with such genres in BioShock.

Finally, I would give Gone Home a 7 out of 10 and would recommend it if you are looking for an interesting story exploration game, otherwise the gameplay format could leave you disappointed.
  33. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sam is a lesbian. Your parents are on vacation. Ghosts don't exist. Rosebud was his sled. There, you don't have to pay 20 bucks now, go buy some decent audiobook. This game is okay. It's definitely not 70+ that journalists give it, but it is okay to play once. Expand
  34. Dec 19, 2013
    Some people are saying that this is not exactly a game and that it doesn't contain the basic things to make it so, but I have to disagree on that part. Basing your score on such a notion is moronic and completely undermines the efforts that were put into the other aspects of the experience, like the storytelling, the sound design, the voice acting and so on. The reason I'm giving this gameSome people are saying that this is not exactly a game and that it doesn't contain the basic things to make it so, but I have to disagree on that part. Basing your score on such a notion is moronic and completely undermines the efforts that were put into the other aspects of the experience, like the storytelling, the sound design, the voice acting and so on. The reason I'm giving this game a 5 is simply because the story is flat out mediocre. It's literally something you've seen hundreds of times before in many different mediums, and you probably criticized it to death, but now that it's in game form and it tackles some mature concepts it suddenly becomes one of the greatest feats in recent gaming history. This has to be one of the most disappointing experiences I've had recently and I don't recommend you buy it for it's original price 20$ I payed 5$ for it and I still kinda feel like I've been ripped off. What bothers me is not the fact that they're asking 20$ for a 90 minute experience. I've payed 15$ for The Stanley Parable and it was worth it. It's the whole movement and critical praise behind this titles that makes me mad. Expand
  35. Aug 22, 2013
    Very short lived, simple, yet compelling gaming experience. Ultimately I enjoyed it, however, felt a bit empty. Some good ideas that weren't explored fully the way the game tells you the story (by letting you find scraps of paper with notes on them) gets old pretty quickly. I was expecting a more intricate storyline. It was almost like a tech demo and the actual "game" was an afterthought.
  36. Aug 19, 2013
    Ok. I will try to be fair with this game. It is a very good experiment. And I enjoyed while it lasted. But on the other hand. It is very difficult to call this even a game (note reading simulator maybe?). And mainly it takes to complete like 2,5 hours if you are checking everything. Plus there is basically no replay value. And the price is not adequate to this. My suggestion wait forOk. I will try to be fair with this game. It is a very good experiment. And I enjoyed while it lasted. But on the other hand. It is very difficult to call this even a game (note reading simulator maybe?). And mainly it takes to complete like 2,5 hours if you are checking everything. Plus there is basically no replay value. And the price is not adequate to this. My suggestion wait for price drop or some humble bundle, then get it really cheap and enjoy this experience for the price that corresponds the amount of gameplay. Expand
  37. Aug 18, 2013
    Gone Home is not a traditional game. Much like Dear Esther, it is a story experience. You return home after a trip abroad to find your parent’s house empty. Only by rummaging through items and letters will you reveal more about the Greenbriar family. Flickering lights and scratching behind walls produces an unsettling atmosphere. Gone Home allows your imagination to run wild with theories,Gone Home is not a traditional game. Much like Dear Esther, it is a story experience. You return home after a trip abroad to find your parent’s house empty. Only by rummaging through items and letters will you reveal more about the Greenbriar family. Flickering lights and scratching behind walls produces an unsettling atmosphere. Gone Home allows your imagination to run wild with theories, but the revelations are far less memorable. The experience takes 2-3 hours and there is little reason to revisit it. It is an intriguing premise, but one that does not reach excellence. Expand
  38. Aug 23, 2013
    This game could have easily scored a perfect 10/10. The atmosphere is great, the sounds, graphics and overall has a spooky feeling to it. The story was nice and the voice acting was good.
    The game doesn't have much content though. It just lasted an hour for me, and I'm quite sure a speed run would only take a few minutes Like I said, the content is pretty tight. There were times I got startled even for the most littlest of things. And most of the stuff you find around in this game are useless and is just to kill time. But for the price, this game ain't worth it. A game that just lasts for half an hour or more, shouldn't be priced this high. I'm going with a 7/10 for Going Home.
  39. Nov 27, 2013
    I am not against games as an art form or turning the world into the narrative, for example I was a fan of Dear Esther but this game just isn't really worth it. It accomplishes what it set out to do but it's ambitions aren't all that high. It's difficult to criticize it for what it is and what it meant to be. To put it very simply, it is Dear Esther in an enclosed game world andI am not against games as an art form or turning the world into the narrative, for example I was a fan of Dear Esther but this game just isn't really worth it. It accomplishes what it set out to do but it's ambitions aren't all that high. It's difficult to criticize it for what it is and what it meant to be. To put it very simply, it is Dear Esther in an enclosed game world and essentially without any of the mystery or intrigue. I just didn't find the story to be that remarkable and the ending of the game just left me asking "So...?" The game seems like it's trying to imply that you will eventually find something really interesting or shocking or something but it just doesn't happen. But again, it is difficult to criticize it when it seems to clearly have achieved what it set out to do. But really, it's not that remarkable at all. I'd say save your money. Expand
  40. Jan 22, 2014
    An OK but not great story with an OK but not great game mechanic. Those two things combine for a game that is rather bland. It gets some points for dealing with subject matter that isn't usually covered in video games but that's not enough to make it a good game.
  41. JRC
    Mar 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh splendid, I pay 20 dollars to play an one hour gameplay time, with the easiest puzzles ever and with a terrible story. Ok, it's an indie game, I give lots of support for indie developers, but really, 20 dollars. The gameplay, it's boring and have nothing out of the ordinary, it's just you all the time collecting papers that reveal the story, and worst, there is no obstacle, nothing that prevent you from achieving to the end of the game. And the ending is just stupid, you play it all just to know that your sister is a lesbian, wow. Expand
  42. Aug 19, 2013
    After years of lurking on this website I have finally found a reason to make an account and submit a review. As most people, I did not know of this game until after it was released and put on steam at a discount. I was intrigued at the high sales count and looked into it further. Reading a couple reviews from legitimate gaming blogs/websites/forums it seemed everyone was flabbergasted byAfter years of lurking on this website I have finally found a reason to make an account and submit a review. As most people, I did not know of this game until after it was released and put on steam at a discount. I was intrigued at the high sales count and looked into it further. Reading a couple reviews from legitimate gaming blogs/websites/forums it seemed everyone was flabbergasted by this game. I instantly bought it right then so I wouldn't get spoiled by any of the story(I wanted to go in blind as most games are always spoiled by some idiots on the internet even when trying to read an innocent review).

I jumped right into the game and got sucked in. The thunder the ominous house the emptiness all gave a feeling something bad was going to happen. The game designers even try to allude that something creepy is going on by adding thunder clashes right when you read something "important." as well as the characters you're looking into keep describing the house as a psycho house with a past that everyone is afraid of. This is all complete b.s. its a clean and jerk operation where I can see the designers wanted to give the feeling of creepiness with the subject matter not actually being creepy, or new, or thought provoking, or anything other than a creepy fantasy that someone had. They even went as far as to find a girl who can make it seem real. I feel like someone had a bad time at home and needed to get it out, therapy costs money so why not get it out and get paid for it?

I kept wanting to like this "game" I really did. But once I finished it within the same few hours upon buying it i was horrified. The game finally got me at the end with the real scary part where you realize you spent $20 on a game that lasted less than most movies and has the story of an mtv 2 sitcom. NO REPLAYABILITY. NONE. ZIP ZERO. If you think once you know the end it makes the story different you're wrong and completely misinformed. You already know whats happening about 20 minutes into the game and it just drags the silliness out for a while to tease you with something supernatural or otherwise worth spending money on.

Overal 5/10

Graphics 6 I struggled to even give it a six. the lighting is horrible for a game thats supposed to be hell bent on being atmospheric. The only thing it did was allow me to light a room that i couldn't see a damn thing before. I kept hoping the shadows would play tricks on me but in the end it was my own minds eye adding to the suspense. the only good thing about the graphics is the attention to detail on some of the 90s items to give them an authentic feel.

presentation 8/10 the way the story comes together is actually kinda nice. Which is why I kept wanting to like this game. It has a way of immersing you and dragging you in, really making you feel like kate trying to figure out what has happened to her family while she was away. I just feel like it was too easy to find everything. There were no real hurdles to jump in the noggin department when it came to puzzles. oh wait, there were no puzzles at all. just stroll down to the only areas you can access, and point and peck what you need to, move on.

Sound 8/10 this is by far the best part of the game. The noises of the house and thunder plus the voice acting is great. I kept wondering why reviewers referred to it as the voice acting and not sam. because shes the only one who talks. its not acting its one character, they probably spent 90% of the budget and time finding the perfect character to voice it.

controls 2/10 worthless, trite, and baseless. you walk around and pick stuff up, you dont really affect the world. the physics are whatever. I threw a plastic cup at a pillow and it bounced to the ceiling. the controls serve no purpose other than to drag you through the story.

replayability 0/10 theres really no reason you should have this installed 2 hours after you buy it.

Con factor 10/10 The designers did a really great job of putting you to the task of creating the atmosphere. They make it so you're left to your own devices at first, and then ruin it by pulling the wool back to reveal the public service announcement of a story. I officialy hate Gone Home(to my so called life)
  43. Aug 19, 2013
    Gone Home was a fun experience but lacking enough content to make me feel its not really worth $20 us. The story got me involved, I wanted to find out what was going on. Even felt like everything that was happening was my characters fault. But it all only too me about 5 hrs and I took my sweet time. Its to short. The story focuses to much on one member of the family in theGone Home was a fun experience but lacking enough content to make me feel its not really worth $20 us. The story got me involved, I wanted to find out what was going on. Even felt like everything that was happening was my characters fault. But it all only too me about 5 hrs and I took my sweet time. Its to short. The story focuses to much on one member of the family in the progression of the game. Despite the fact all the family members have allot going on. Wouldn't have cost much and added much needed overall play time, If ALL the family members had a voiced part in the story.

Another thing I though could have been better is the atmosphere. While its pretty decent as is, it could have been way better. Lighting is already a big part of the feel, why not use the lighting and shadows to cause a few jumpy moments?

The house has no mirrors, even in places that should like bathrooms. (A mirror in a bathroom is even mentioned in the story but its not there.)

Its a good enough game just wait for it to go on sale.
  44. Dec 28, 2013
    Gone Home falls too short in terms of length and depth. The main story is allright but far from original. The sidestories will give you a nice view on who you are and who you live with, but it's all very simplistic and without many storylayers to peel. I guess I expected more depth in this game, there could be so much more going on. Questions remain unanswered, persons remain outlined butGone Home falls too short in terms of length and depth. The main story is allright but far from original. The sidestories will give you a nice view on who you are and who you live with, but it's all very simplistic and without many storylayers to peel. I guess I expected more depth in this game, there could be so much more going on. Questions remain unanswered, persons remain outlined but not much filled in (especially you yourself, as Katie).
    The exploring way of finding missing pieces of information has been done well and the voice acting is great. The house is big, there's a lot to see if you can stand the unnecessary messy state it's in. I liked rummaging through all that nostalgic 80's90's accessories and listening to the appropriately cringeworthy chickrock cassettes. And the main music is very nice as well come to think of it. There are many details in terms of design and stuff to be find, even though most of it is not of much practical use.

All the pros and cons outweighing I would not recommend this game, unless you can get it very cheap. You might get disappointed if you're expecting as much as there has been said about it.
  45. Mar 12, 2014
    Good game but definitely NOT worth 20 dollars. hour and a half worth of playtime at most so get it on sale or free even. Fairly interesting story but kind of a let down at the end, it will leave you wanting more. All in all: worth the experience but I'd never play it again.
  46. Oct 23, 2013
    Gone Home is a difficult experience to describe, especially when it comes to recommending it to someone else. It's an interactive short story, and I do mean short. The script for the written notes and spoken dialog probably wouldn't amount to more than 10 pages. The characters are very broadly sketched with only the smallest hints of depth and complexity. The focus of the narrative is aGone Home is a difficult experience to describe, especially when it comes to recommending it to someone else. It's an interactive short story, and I do mean short. The script for the written notes and spoken dialog probably wouldn't amount to more than 10 pages. The characters are very broadly sketched with only the smallest hints of depth and complexity. The focus of the narrative is a really pretty mundane love story which presents little in the way of surprise.

What Gone Home does well though is provide a powerful injection of 100% pure, high grade nostalgia directly into the bloodstream. Nostalgia both for childhood and adolescence in general and the 1990s in particular. A story for the ages this is not. A story for people who were teenagers in 1995? Yes. Maybe.

The writing is good and the voice actor who played Sam did an excellent job. That, coupled with the introspective and tender mood, is enough to carry you through at least one playthrough (80 minutes for me). That said, there's certainly no reason to play again. In fact, when you start looking back over the experience you begin to resent the numerous red herrings whose sole purpose seemed to be to obscure the real focus of the story for as long as possible.

In the end I found Gone Home to be atmospheric and touching in a simplistic way, but also fundamentally shallow. The asking price of $19.99 on Steam is way, way too high. I'd recommend purchasing only when a big sale comes along, and then only if you're a fan of this genre of entertainment.
  47. Oct 26, 2013
    This story-telling game has an interesting story, and the theme is rarely seen in video-games. The tone, atmosphere and style are good and bring a new approach to this genre.

But for 20 dollars, I expected to play more than 2 hours, and the technical realization was not satisfactory (mostly because of lags). On top of that, the game system becomes repetitive at the end of the two hours of playing. The right price would be around 5 dollars.

Last thing, even if the subject of this game is interesting and challenging, it could have been developed more, and could have avoided some clichés. I hope that this game will encourage such "serious" subjects to be developed.
  48. Dec 29, 2013
    Here's the thing, when I first watched a friend of mine play through Gone Home from start to finish, it hit me it a very tender spot. I adored it. I cried. But after purchasing it myself and playing through it again, I realized how shallow it is.

While it is debatable whether Gone Home is truly a "game", it is well know it is fully story based. I enjoy story games. I love more "artsy" games. However, I feel this one just is not as good as most make it out to be. Yes, it is very good with hitting one with nostalgia. Yes, it good with hitting you in the feels. Honestly though, that's it. And after the second time though it, I just couldn't connect as easily as I could before. I knew the entire story, I knew how it was executed, so there wasn't much left for me to do. There is little to no replay value. And for $20 as an original asking price for a 2 hour experience, it just truly isn't that worth it. I waited until it was on sale which I am grateful for.

Don't get me wrong. The story is really good for it only being told through notes and journal's left for you to find, but I just wish there was more to justify it.

I'm in a love/hate relationship with Gone Home. But in the end I just can't recommend it.
  49. Feb 17, 2014
    This is a game that probably won't feel like a game for most. The voice acting was great and the story itself is one that I've never encountered in another game. While it was quite short (I beat the game with 101 minutes played on steam), it managed to have a few points where I wish there would have been less walking or backtracking, but this is really a minor complaint. The writing pullsThis is a game that probably won't feel like a game for most. The voice acting was great and the story itself is one that I've never encountered in another game. While it was quite short (I beat the game with 101 minutes played on steam), it managed to have a few points where I wish there would have been less walking or backtracking, but this is really a minor complaint. The writing pulls you in with several side stories, some of which you have to infer their meaning on your own. Even the main story may require some interpretation. I'll just say that everything isn't directly given to you, story-wise, if you don't pay attention to detail.

The game play consists of traveling through the house and examining letters and other items. These things trigger audio messages of the player's sister and each one builds upon the last. By the end, I felt a series of emotions and had a few questions that the game just won't directly answer. But now I'm thinking about it and looking for other people's opinions. If a story having that kind of effect on someone doesn't make it a good story, then I don't know what does.

That being said, there was probably ways that this could have been wrapped up tighter to my liking, but I'm sure that's not what the creators were going for anyway. All in all, it was a good use of 101 minutes.
  50. Dec 15, 2014
    Gone Home is a game about a girl named Katie who returns home from a year long trip to a new house. When Katie arrives she discovers that her family is not in the house and appear to be missing. Katie then searches the house to find clues to her family’s whereabouts. While Katie searches the house she uncovers shocking secrets about her family that have been carefully hidden for years.Gone Home is a game about a girl named Katie who returns home from a year long trip to a new house. When Katie arrives she discovers that her family is not in the house and appear to be missing. Katie then searches the house to find clues to her family’s whereabouts. While Katie searches the house she uncovers shocking secrets about her family that have been carefully hidden for years.

Gone Home has one of the best stories that I have ever seen in a video game. (Though calling it a video game is a stretch). Gone Home takes the player on a 3 hour journey through one of the most densely packed stories in modern gaming. It is hard to talk about the story without ruining the ending. But what can be said is that the setting has the player thinking about one thing while the story is going in a completely different direction. The ending comes as no surprise to the player once they reach it, but the ending would seem absurd at the start of the game. The ending leaves the player with no loose ends and a certain happiness for the characters.

The game doesn’t boast the most high definition graphics or the most cutting edge gameplay but the attention to detail makes up for it entirely. The not so high quality graphics even add to the atmosphere of the house. The graphics are meant to be played on a low brightness which has the player often turning around to see if that shadow was indeed a person or not. The attention to detail in the house was extraordinarily good. Everything in a 1995 home was there, with the exception of shoes, but one would not even notice this unless it was mentioned to them. The player learns all there is to know about a family in the mid 90’s, from tacky furniture to VCR’s it is all there.

To call Gone Home a video game is a stretch. It is more of an interactive story in the form of a video game. In a contemporary video game the player makes choices and has different ways to overcome different puzzles or challenges. In some games the way one completes a task will affect what happens later on or the level of difficulty. Gone Home is extremely linear. There are no two ways of finding things or opening doors in Gone Home. Everything is laid out for the player to find, the only thing that can change is the order in which things are found.

Gone Home is an excellent experience. The story was compelling, the setting was unique, accurate and added a level of realness to the story. But to call it a video game is a stretch. The game is definitely good there is no question about that, but if one does a excellent first run through they will feel no need to play it a second or third time. A truly good game would compel the player to play more than once, it is a game you can come back to years later and still have the same experience as you did when first played. Gone Home doesn’t achieve this. I would still highly recommend this game though.
  51. Dec 15, 2014
    The game “Gone Home” developed by The Fullbright Company uses a complex and developed story line as its main attraction. Players walk in the footsteps of Kaitlin Greenbriar as she comes home from a yearlong trip to find the new house, into which the family had moved into, empty. Through the course of the search through the house the character and player begins to uncover the events of theThe game “Gone Home” developed by The Fullbright Company uses a complex and developed story line as its main attraction. Players walk in the footsteps of Kaitlin Greenbriar as she comes home from a yearlong trip to find the new house, into which the family had moved into, empty. Through the course of the search through the house the character and player begins to uncover the events of the past year, a year she has missed. The discoveries slowly piece themselves together to explain the reason for her sisterís and parentsí apparent disappearance from the house.
    As a rule most games no matter how well designed have both their good and bad aspects, Gone home is no exception to this. The aspects that add to the game and make it an interesting run through are; the gameís interactive story, voice-overs and tangent stories. The game, which is centered on a rich and interactive story line, truly benefits from it. By generating a story line that can be revealed and played through in a few different ways but still leads to the same overall ending gives the player a feeling of greater control. To add to the experience the ways in which the voice overs which occur periodically at strategic points gives the game a more realistic feel as if the characters were real people enhancing the game play and overall story line. These aspects are then combined with a series of tangent stories that take place alongside the main story and can be unearthed and furthered throughout the course of the game. This I believe truly makes the game fun because it adds a series of extra layers that give more life to the game and donít truly end with a concrete answer keeping the player continuously guessing to their true meaning. Most important of all is that they do not clutter or subtract from the main story line of the game. The intriguing story and strategic use of voice-overs make the game a truly fun experience.
    Unfortunately there are some aspects to the game that are less than to be desired. Two specific things come to mind that are worth negatively critiquing; the brightness settings and the end of the game. Yes it is true that brightness settings can always be adjusted but overall the game has a rather dark vibe to it that understandably plays into the story thematic and adds to the game but it seems that at times even with higher brightness settings its difficult to see. Due to the difficulty of seeing objects I found that at times it was a chore trying to find objects in the semi darkness of the house. The second part that I found to be rather disappointing was the end. For such a build up in the game and all of the assumptions that one makes by the end, the ending chosen by the creators was rather bland and uninteresting. In my opinion the game could have been further enhanced with a more dramatic end, one that I was certain would happen when I reached the attic, but I wonít spoil the ending for you by telling you what doesn't happen. If the above listed things were to have been improved upon the game would be in my opinion a truly masterful work of digital and gaming art.
    Overall the game was fun and I enjoyed it. Though different from your everyday shooter with fast case action the story line was well thought out and interesting. I would recommend it to those that are more interested in the content of the game rather than looking for a way of killing a few hours with mindless game play due to the format of the game. If it were ever on sale I would tell people to try it out for they might like it, or not. The game is very specific in nature and hard to compare with an existing game due to its rather new look at what games should be and whatís more important, action and an okay storyline or a slower game with a well thought out story line.
  52. Dec 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After a year abroad in Europe, Katie Greenbriar returns to the new house that her family has just moved into. Upon her arrival, she finds a note on the front door from her sister Sam, warning her not to go searching for the family. Once in the house, it is clear that there is nobody home. From this point on, it is Katie’s mission to find out where her family has gone.
    Overall, I believe that the greatest strength of this game is its plot. I thoroughly enjoyed looking through the various rooms and finding numerous clues that led me to the end of the game. I think that the allusion to external video games and significant figures makes the story more intertwined with the real world, causing the game to seem more realistic. Furthermore, I believe that although the game has a limited amount of story driven gameplay, it compensates through the various Easter eggs (such as the purple basketball) and deviating plotlines, which lead you to consider controversial theories. For example, consider the theory that Uncle Oscar abused his nephew Terrence, who is the father of Katie and Sam. Though never directly stating this theory, the creators of the game are able to lay the foundations for the player to make this interpretation.
    The mechanics of the game are actually quite good. Although the graphics are not amazing, they are sufficient for the user to easily play through the game without any issues. I don’t really think that it is necessary for the game to have top of the line graphics and visuals because aside from making the game more realistic, they don’t really serve a purpose. One of the stronger mechanical aspects of the game is the audio. Throughout various point in the game, you come across journal entries written (and dictated) by Sam. Instead of just finding pieces of paper with what Sam wrote in her journal, small sections are dictated after finding something relevant to that entry in the game. This is helpful because it adds emotion to the information Sam is providing.
    One of the weakest aspects in the game is the ending. I believe that the plot of the game is genuinely strong, and so the ending should do the plotline justice. However, I believe this is not the case. In my opinion, the ending should instill excitement in the player, especially since the game is based on the premise of mystery. I was left with a feeling of disappointment when I realized what had actually happened to the family, not due to the fact that they had been harmed, but due to the fact that the majority of the plot, including the link to Oscar, was of no relevance.
    Overall I enjoyed playing Gone Home and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in the mystery genre. The plot has extreme depth considering the total playtime given to the player, and the mechanics of the game are quite strong. With the exception of the ending, it is a great game.
  53. Aug 20, 2013
    Got this game after seeing good reviews, but i was surprised and shocked when i completed the game, in disbelief i opened metacritic again n saw the low user scores which didnt surprise me, its a shame that games like this actually gets released, its way toooo short, the story is cool and all but it could've been fine for one single episode of a tv series, not for a game jeeeezz.
  54. Aug 18, 2013
    Certainly enjoyable, an excellent example of adventure gaming in first person, and a decent story but... 2 hours of gameplay? Zero replayability? That's fine too, for 5-10 bucks, but 20$ is just too much for a one time experience like this. Amnesia (or the sequel) is the same price and offers so much more, as do many other first person or adventure games.

I liked this game, I really

I liked this game, I really did, and I don't want to come down on it too hard, but... again, two hours of non-replayable gameplay is just not enough for the price tag. I hope the developers make more games like this; maybe they can release them cheaper using the same engine? I hope so because I will not be purchasing any of their releases at full price after this.
  55. Aug 18, 2013
    Be prepared for what you're getting into here. This is not a game. It's an interactive story and a very good one at that. I very much enjoyed the subject matter and the direction the game went. I won't spoil anything here but know that there will be quite a few people who won't agree with where this game went. That's just human nature. But you'll know going into, if you have a faint ideaBe prepared for what you're getting into here. This is not a game. It's an interactive story and a very good one at that. I very much enjoyed the subject matter and the direction the game went. I won't spoil anything here but know that there will be quite a few people who won't agree with where this game went. That's just human nature. But you'll know going into, if you have a faint idea of what the game is about, if you'll like this game or not. I do feel like this "game" is a bit overpriced at 20 bucks as it's literally just a story and nothing else, especially for the length (barely an hour and a half long). But it's a very nice, thought provoking story. It's truly a nice surprise to see how far media has gone in the last few years when dealing with certain kinds of subject matter and this is no different. However, this is still being billed as a "game" when it should have been more of a book than anything else. I can't give anything about a 7 to something that pretends to be a game and isn't one. Expand
  56. Aug 22, 2013
    Great story, like most people say, but it's too short and for about three hours play time at maximum (to say nothing of the lack of replay value), it's not worth $17.95 or whatever Steam wanted for it. For $5 like Dear Esther was, then yes, this game would rate a 9 or a 10. But yes, if you like stories of empowerment and self-discovery, this game is right up there.
  57. Aug 25, 2013
    For me I thought it was Okay.
    Not great, but also not the abomination people are trying to make it out to be.
    Other than the main journal story which came across as underdeveloped, cliché, and uninspired, I actually found the house engrossing to search and read through and explore. I thought it was pretty atmospheric, additionally, I actually liked the supplemental material about the
    For me I thought it was Okay.
    Not great, but also not the abomination people are trying to make it out to be.

I thought it was pretty atmospheric, additionally, I actually liked the supplemental material about the father, and mother and was more invested in the notes left behind about the father, his failing career as a writer and possible hints at a past affair with another woman.

It's a shame the whole thing got bogged down in a side story about her sister, that may have been interesting as a side story, but not the main story.

I also didn't see the point of setting the game in the middle of a severe storm, it didn't add tension and was a major missed opportunity for dramatic tension.

As a game it could have worked if the house was more complex and the focus being changed in the story.

If game developers and gamer really wish to elevate the medium to the level of art it takes a level of seriousness in the story. This has been done maybe one or two times in the history of the medium. but this is not one of those occasions. For any game like this that wishes to be taken in as an experience and wants to tell a story, these should all be viewed under a light similar to a movie. And in that regard, this was a very bad made for TV movie. It's great that devs are trying to push the medium in new directions, but these devs clearly need to take some of those creative writing classes that were being advertised to the main characters sister.

As for gamers, and I think this is true in this case on Metacritic, really need to stop loving something just for the sake that it's doing something different. Different good, and this is true in the case of Gone Home

Better writing would have definitely saved this game, but as it stands it's just a sub-standard video game plot trying to pass it self as some Higher Art.

Pros:
    Good atmosphere
    Side plot very interesting
    Interesting house to play around in

Cons:
    Simplistic Main Plot
    Lack of Complex Puzzles
  58. Oct 24, 2013
    Gone Home has an excellent story, I dare say its one of the better love stories I've ever heard but that's the only thing this game has going for it. The game is very short and offers no replay value whatsoever. The mechanics are solid but limited in that you can pick things up, read them and then put them back down and that's it. It's definitely a good game but I wish I had only spentGone Home has an excellent story, I dare say its one of the better love stories I've ever heard but that's the only thing this game has going for it. The game is very short and offers no replay value whatsoever. The mechanics are solid but limited in that you can pick things up, read them and then put them back down and that's it. It's definitely a good game but I wish I had only spent 3 dollars on it instead of 10. Expand
  59. Aug 17, 2013
    The story is good, the exploration is exciting, but at the end, it just ends. It reminds me of Dear Eshter, but with more paths and more things to interact with. With so much stuff laying around, this could have been a first person adventure game with puzzles and secrets. Anyway, it feels like a good experience and a bit overpriced.
  60. Nov 6, 2013
    Gone Home is an adventure game where you play as someone coming home to a new house after spending time in Europe, only to find that nobody's home to greet you. The dark house with creaky floorboards and faulty electrical wiring makes it pretty spooky, and sets a dark tone that makes you wonder: was everyone just busy that night, or is there something happening in the shadows? As youGone Home is an adventure game where you play as someone coming home to a new house after spending time in Europe, only to find that nobody's home to greet you. The dark house with creaky floorboards and faulty electrical wiring makes it pretty spooky, and sets a dark tone that makes you wonder: was everyone just busy that night, or is there something happening in the shadows? As you explore the house, checking out objects and reading letters, you start to catch up on what happened in the year the protagonist missed, leading up to the secret behind the empty house.

Maybe I'm overselling it. I certainly enjoyed exploring the house and piecing together the puzzle, but this is definitely an artsy sort of game, and it's definitely not for everyone. The game is slow, and you do little besides explore and read. But, the story is itriguing and the house is pretty realistic, so if you do enjoy exploring and reading, you may really enjoy this game.

The controls are done well. There's generally no music, though you can listen to a few casettes you find along the way. The sound is pretty creepy between the thunderstorm and the house's noises. The entire experience is really short; I finished it in 2.5 hours.

For such a short game, I don't think I could recommned it at all for $20, but this would be a great game to pick up on a Steam sale. I enjoyed it, and fans of exploration-based games will enjoy it, but Gone Home won't be worth it to you if you are impatient or have a short attention span.
  61. May 17, 2014
    This is a good little interactive story. The graphics are good and the single voice actor gives her character some soul. In my opinion interactive stories are a genre of gaming like RTS or RPG to first person shooters. But it is very niche. Only buy this game at under $10 because of the length per dollar you get.
  62. Nov 1, 2013
    The game is well done from the voice acting to the graphics. It is very original and is able to keep you hooked until the very end. However, is it a very short game. I had 1.6 hours of game play. Personally I feel this is over priced for a game that is this short. I would give this game a better score if it was longer or cheaper.
    I cannot say I was mislead when purchasing this game,
    I cannot say I was mislead when purchasing this game, because they did not really give any direction. However, it was not what I expected. Without giving away spoilers, they cannot do a better job describing this game.
  63. Dec 8, 2013
    Gone home has a very short story but it doesn't mean that the it isn't good, in the game you just have to go through the story without trouble there isn't guns or something like that, Gone Home is boring sometimes it hasn't amazing graphics, just some persons will like this game, but if story is just what you are looking for in a game you will enjoy it.
  64. Mar 11, 2014
    Over all was interesting. I like how the story of it unraveled. Seemed to have just enough clues to help solve what ever simple puzzle was going on, and, or on where to go next.
    It really kept me glued to it most of the time for the few hours it took to play/walk the game.
    I think they are on to something here, but in the end I was a bit cheated and disappointed. I was starting to

I was starting to feel let down when it was obvious where the story was headed. What was the main story I thought was just a side story.

Either at one time, or, it's just to throw you off, you play because you hope there is something supernatural in the house. For a while I suspected that maybe I would find "Sam" hanging to death in
    some secret passage.

Instead I am forced to hear some homosexuality story. Not that I have some hatred towards homosexuals, but then at the same time I don't really need to know all the details of it.
    I don't really care if you want to have sex with animals or inanimate objects, etc., for the most part I'd be like okay, yea, please don't tell me about it, I'm not asking.
    But like a lot of homosexuality in the media, etc., as in this game you are forced to know about it, and it ends up being the story.

I don't like all the "haha you thought you would see ghosts, or something (interesting)". Yea I'd rather see those things then rather have it all be about homosexuality.

I don't see how people gave this the "game of the year" last year.
    Other then like Hollywood it seems obligatory for like minded people to give such subject matter high praises. Like it was no big surprise that "brokeback mtn" got so many Oscars et al.

Okay, just over hyped and shallow in the end.
  65. Jul 1, 2014
    The bad thing about reviewing this game is that the game is not very depth mechanics wise. This review is basically hindered on the fact of how well I liked the story and the few characters that are in it.

I enjoyed the story quite a bit, I did find myself really enjoying the character development and recording. It really let you into the life of you (Kaitlin) and your sister you hear through recordings (Sam).

The audio was pretty great. The voice acting was solid, not that this was an extremely difficult job but great nonetheless. The music was pretty solid queuing in when needed and the song at the ending makes a nice parallel to something you hear from your sister earlier on it hit home with the song at the end.

Graphics... I am not one to talk about graphics too much because I do not care about them unless they take you out of the experience the game is going for. For this game I think they are okay, nothing spectacular in the sense the textures are a little messy which take you out of the "zone" but for what it is it's okay. Period.

The length of the game is very short. Even with someone like me who read every document and what not, it only took me ~2 hours. That is good and bad... Good because the story could only really a hold a 1-3 hour length. Bad because some people have paid $10-$20 for this game and it is not worth that price at all. I picked it up today on the steam sale for $2.99. Yes it was worth that price tag and maybe a $5-7 price range but nothing more.

For those saying this shouldn't be a game, I disagree wholeheartedly. The reason being this game could not exist as is in another medium. It is far too short and lacks depth to be a book or a movie.

Overall, it is a good game, with a huge emphasis on story so don't expect anymore mechanics from a interactive story. Should you pick it up? Yes, if you enjoy JUST a story and ONLY if you can find it from a $0-5 price range. I feel very bad for the people who spent $20 on the game so I do understand where there frustrations come from.
  66. Aug 20, 2013
    Gone Home is a fantastic story told through the medium of a video game. Be forewarned, the primary focus of Gone Home is the story. There are no real game elements other than exploration, reading, and listening as the story unfolds. If you're looking for a challenge or looking to engage your logic or reflexes, look elsewhere. Gone Home is a unique storytelling experience that really drawsGone Home is a fantastic story told through the medium of a video game. Be forewarned, the primary focus of Gone Home is the story. There are no real game elements other than exploration, reading, and listening as the story unfolds. If you're looking for a challenge or looking to engage your logic or reflexes, look elsewhere. Gone Home is a unique storytelling experience that really draws you in. Atmospheric sounds, great 90's references, and excellent voice-work accompany you on your journey through the house to discover why the home you've come home to is vacant. I only have one real criticism (be warned, my criticism does not reveal any plot points, but it does regard the general mood at the end of Gone Home). The story is fantastic, but I couldn't help feeling like the ending was too cathartic for all parties involved. Expand
  67. Gua
    Aug 20, 2013
    I appreciate compelling story and innovation that this game has. Also I appreciate the fact that they didn't filled this game with non sense puzzles.But it's hard to ignore game downsides like the amount of text you'll need to read and a fact that this is barely a game.
  68. Aug 25, 2013
    At 2 hours odd there is certainly the question of whether you get your moneys worth out of this game, and I really understand the negative criticism leveled at Gone Home on this issue. For this review however I am going to put that to one side in the scoring. If you don't want to waste the price of the game on a couple of hours, don't buy it.
    Gone Home is a short story told bloody
    Gone Home is a short story told bloody brilliantly. The story develops as Katie, the returning daughter/sister finds written notes around the abandoned house. This has always been a problematic device for furthering a plot line, and is used extensively on a lot of AAA games. If I wanted to read a book I wouldn't grab for my console and controller right? However in Gone Home the place and time is set by the visual surroundings:the books, video and cassette tapes found around the house along with the posters on the walls and decor evoke a wonderful sense of the '90's. Apart from the main story, there are written and visual clues to a number of other characters and side stories that draw you in and deepen the mystery.
    Where the game does fall down in my opinion, is the developers overriding wish to subvert the deserted mansion tropes that are so carefully set up. 7 outta 10 may be a little harsh, but this really left a bad taste in my mouth at games end.
    If its action, rpg,puzzle solving, strategy or platforming you want, this game is going to disappoint.
    But as far as story telling goes this is a nice example of what video gaming can do
  69. Aug 23, 2013
    As someone who honestly enjoys a good playable story, this hits relatively high. The gameplay is smooth, the sound is smooth, everything regarding the game is smooth. Unfortunately, the game is quite short and on top of that, the story is a bit lacking at points.
  70. Aug 24, 2013
    The best way to describe this is as a virtual easter egg hunt. Instead of easter eggs you find story fragments, you assemble them together in your head to paint a picture, like putting together pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Sure, you don't need every jigsaw puzzle piece in order to understand what the big picture is but some are more vital than others.

What will determine how much you like

What will determine how much you like this game is how much you like the stories. Two of the stories are delivered very well. You have to put the pieces together on your own which makes them very intriguing. The other story is the one the game dedicates itself to most. It is pretty heavy handed and is the most poorly delivered and the least interesting. This is where the game failed with me. If you are annoyed by teenage infatuation then this isn't for you. If you love the 90s and lifetime dramas then you'll be all over this.

6/10 for an interesting idea that could have communicated an interesting story but failed
  71. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is an intense story-telling experience. If you are interested in story based games rather than shoot'em up games then it is definitely for you. My rating is just 7 because i was expecting even more from this game after i reached the end.
  72. Nov 28, 2014
    It was a nice game, well paced, with obsessive attention to detail. It gave me a nice fuzzy feeling, some nostalgia, and a hefty dose of melancholy. Every character is flawed and has a subplot worth uncovering. Worth checking out and getting through in one go, which takes a couple hours.
  73. Sep 16, 2014
    Gone Home is a game that touches on "sensitive" issues and has a political agenda which is the only reason why this game has been praised by "critics." For $20 you'll get 1-2 hours worth of gameplay. You'll walk around your house searching for what happened to your sister and parents. You'll open doors, search drawers, and shuffle through socks to find notes and other items that will leadGone Home is a game that touches on "sensitive" issues and has a political agenda which is the only reason why this game has been praised by "critics." For $20 you'll get 1-2 hours worth of gameplay. You'll walk around your house searching for what happened to your sister and parents. You'll open doors, search drawers, and shuffle through socks to find notes and other items that will lead your on your journey. It's actually fairly linear since you're basically set to "Find X key to open X" And then you find the key, move to the next area and repeat until the game is over. The twist is that the story deals with a (spoiler!) oppressed lesbian. Honestly, the story itself sucked. I was never given a reason to care about this girl and she never seemed interesting in the first place. Yet, I enjoyed my time with the game. It was fun to roam through the house learning new things and I never got annoyed trying to find a specific item so it was quite casual. However there really wasn't anything great about it. The only possible reason i can see people giving this such a high score is because for some reason if you don't agree with a feminist or LGBT you'll be deemed intolerant or some other crap. This game only seeks to put fuel to the fire which is quite disappointing. Expand
  74. Feb 3, 2014
    Probably the best "non-game" I've played yet with a comprehensible plot, fitting music and decent graphics. Just make sure you don't go in expecting any puzzles as this is another of those games where discovering the narrative is the sole focus.
  75. Aug 11, 2014
    I disagree. 9 or 10 is too much. Gone home is just a good game nothing more. It feels real, but I think it still lacks many things to be that perfect.
  76. Aug 25, 2013
    Gone Home tells its story in a unique way, and that alongside the fact that it's willing to tackle a subject that often either gets shied away from or treated fairly awkwardly (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2) should be commended. However, there's barely anything to do, and the game was made in Unity and REALLY reflects it in a lot of areas. With more polish or a different engine, andGone Home tells its story in a unique way, and that alongside the fact that it's willing to tackle a subject that often either gets shied away from or treated fairly awkwardly (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2) should be commended. However, there's barely anything to do, and the game was made in Unity and REALLY reflects it in a lot of areas. With more polish or a different engine, and maybe some more significant interaction here and there, the game has potential to be pretty fantastic. Expand
  77. Sep 29, 2013
    Its got alot of hidden secrets but not as many as i expected.. I expected it to be the game itself to be a whole lot longer and with more storyline to it but i guess this is it! It's a nice game, dont get me wrong but i could'nt have hurt to put in more to make the story go deeper and the game be alot longer.

When i started playing it.. I could already tell within just an hour of play

When i started playing it.. I could already tell within just an hour of play that the game could be ran through but i don't run through things. I go back and pick up the peaces like the stuff that i have'nt yet discovered or had a glance at yet. The creators were aiming towards a good direction, should'v kept going.. Still good however and with some interest. 7/10 since my experience in gameplay and the fun i had exploring was pleased.
  78. Aug 20, 2014
    Unconventional is the word; its not a game but rather a display of an interactive short story. There are no game mechanics, no puzzles, nothing, just progression through unlocking sections of the house, and a beautiful story, with great music and voice acting. But it would not be fair to give it a higher score, yes its artistic, but I was expecting some kind of involvement through play,Unconventional is the word; its not a game but rather a display of an interactive short story. There are no game mechanics, no puzzles, nothing, just progression through unlocking sections of the house, and a beautiful story, with great music and voice acting. But it would not be fair to give it a higher score, yes its artistic, but I was expecting some kind of involvement through play, puzzles would have been nice.

I wish this level of writing could be achieved by real games, but in the meantime, you've got "Gone Home".
  79. Oct 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow

Its been a good two months since I first played this game the day it was released, and let me just tell you I was surprised the community was so divisive over it. I decided to wait for the hype to wear off before I wrote anything.
    I paid 18 dollars for this game. I did not get my money worth. Do not get me wrong, the actual game (if you still want to call it that) is incredible. Engaging story, well-rounded characters, and a sense of discovery that rarely comes in games anymore. However, this whole "adventure" took me only 90 minutes. That's it. 18 bucks for 90 minutes. I don't care what I am playing, that is an absurd asking price. My advice to potential consumers? Wait for the price to drop. Or even better, wait for a steam sale. I just saw it go for 5 bucks last weekend and that my friend is a steal.
    I think everyone should try out this fresh take on storytelling from the people behind Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den. Just wait for the right price.
  80. Jan 30, 2014
    You either love it or hate it . For me , the game contains a beautiful story ... the price is unreasonable though ... just buy it on sale , like i did . Its about 45 minutes long , and you explore a house uncovering the life of your smaller sister ... Just this...and its sooo beautiful... .
  81. Sep 13, 2013
    The people saying Gone Home is not a game failed to describe what "is" a "game". When Cinema began it has no sound and color, and then it has no computer generated content and so one. Now Cinema is a whole different thing than it was in the beginning of the 20th century. Video game is a new medium and no one know what will be a game tomorow. I need to applause to this studio to bringing usThe people saying Gone Home is not a game failed to describe what "is" a "game". When Cinema began it has no sound and color, and then it has no computer generated content and so one. Now Cinema is a whole different thing than it was in the beginning of the 20th century. Video game is a new medium and no one know what will be a game tomorow. I need to applause to this studio to bringing us a non-violent experience. I myself dont like the LGBT agenda being put everywhere but still i liked the story, it remind me of my teen years. Expand
  82. Oct 25, 2013
    Again I have to say in a game review that people by default try to rate a game as if it was made by the big game companies that produce big series. However, The Fullbright Company is a team that tries to bring their fresh view onto gaming from a virtually unknown reputation.
    The comments about it being a slightly repetitive, short game with little action are definitely true and if you really need to have this in a game you better can skip this one.
    However, I personally found the narrative to be of such a quality that I kept on looking for new rooms and items, all the way until the end.
    Granted... it is not the best game by far and to say that it is good is already a heavy statement, but for the 10 euros I paid for it, it was well well worth the spending and I'll be keeping a sharp eye onto this fledgling company!
  83. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i give this game a 5 cause i just played a whole game about lesbians and didn't see one tit or growler in the whole game, lame. there is a letter in the basement where she is taking about some steamy sex and when you read it you get cut off saying i don't want to read that, you game i wanted to read it!! lol story is good though keeps you locked in but is too short 20 bucks is a little steep for this. Expand
  84. Aug 28, 2013
    This game is very difficult to rate. I was enthralled with the details in the house and of the story; the problem is that there are just no puzzles or anything to solve. Every answer is plane and simple. This game started off with a creepy feeling, and if they would have gone the horror/adventure/puzzle route, this would have been an amazing game.

Instead they just told a touching

Instead they just told a touching story, that I still found interesting nonetheless.

If I knew going into this game what it was, I'd give it a 10. Based on what I thought it was going to be, it's a 1 however. I enjoyed the story, and I was constantly waiting for some kind of twist that just never came. I'll settle on a 6 for effort.
  85. Aug 30, 2013
    This is an interactive story that lasts only an hour. It is not really a computer game in the sense you normally think. The story is about solving a mystery all set in a house that is abandoned and quiet, and quite creepy.There are some nicely forbodding moments as you explore, and pick up clues.

You can interact with lots of stuff but only key items advance the game--notes

You can interact with lots of stuff but only key items advance the game--notes pictures and music of really bad garage bands. It's all set in the nineties, which really doesn't matter at all.

The solution to the mystery is politically correct for these times, and may turn some off.
    On the other hand, it is GUARANTEED TO BE OVERRATED by the critics because it's politically correct.
    worth the money for such sliver of a story? Good question.
  86. Sep 15, 2013
    You are Katie Greenbriar, an independent-minded 20 year old student who has just arrived home from a self-discovery trip through Europe. But where is everybody? Mom and Dad are gone, your younger sister Sam nowhere to be found and she left a note on the front door that gives the impression something worrisome has happened. A storm is raging outside, thunder rumbles, lights areYou are Katie Greenbriar, an independent-minded 20 year old student who has just arrived home from a self-discovery trip through Europe. But where is everybody? Mom and Dad are gone, your younger sister Sam nowhere to be found and she left a note on the front door that gives the impression something worrisome has happened. A storm is raging outside, thunder rumbles, lights are flickering...an eerie atmosphere is created that immediately draws you in. It is now your job to find out what happened and to reconstruct the lives of the Greenbriar family via means of exploration. Opening drawers, cabinets, going through personal belongings, reading letters, documents, viewing photos and listening to their music. Soon you realize that the picture which is slowly forming is utterly mundane and every sense of menace a red herring. You will read about Mom's upwards career in the forestry department and her failed advances towards "Ranger Rick", some kind of idealized male object of sexual desire. The story of the previous inhabitant: the paedophile, remorseful Uncle, who has passed away and bequeathed the mansion to Katie's father. The fluctuating career of Dad who is a drunkard-loser-failed-sci-fi-writer. And of course the centerpiece story of Sam, a highly intelligent, creative and rebellious mind who is in a troubled friendship with another girl. Or is it more than just friendship?
    Yet even though it becomes apparent relatively early what the story is all about, the game still managed to glue me to my seat until the very end. So captivating and effective are the voyeuristic means of telling this story through discovery, so compelling the atmosphere, so engaging the act of empathizing with the family members that it was impossible to stop playing.
    Gone Home manages something no game has ever done before: To masterfully tell a story that is ultimately generic, contrived, cliché and anticlimactic.
  87. Nov 13, 2013
    Explore a great personal story on your own. Peacefully evoke the atmosphere of the second half of 90s. Full of nostalgia. Little bit of tension in each of your proceed in game. Interesting experiment, pity it's so short. 70/100
  88. Oct 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone home is one of the best story telling games that i have played since the walking dead, when i started playing this games i was very jumpy and i was moving slowly around the house waiting for something to jump out at me. When i got to the end of the game i instantly restarted the game just to find all the secrets and all the awesome tapes.

Overall
    if you have £15 spare i suggest to buy gone home and play through the story twice. Thanks for reading my review
  89. Oct 18, 2013
    The story was captivating; I lost sense of time while playing. Music was a treat, art was great, voice acting was creepily believable. I wish there had been some puzzle features or replayability factors for the price, but overall worth playing and will probably play through again in a year or two.
  90. Nov 2, 2013
    The game "Gone Home" was fairly interesting. I managed to beat it within 2-3 hours, so I do warn you, its short. Anyway, this game wont be for everyone. It's an interactive story, similar to games like "Dear Esther".
  91. Nov 10, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game for what it was. An "escape from the room" type game on a bigger scale with a decent story to follow. Not much replayability sadly which is what I was hoping/thinking it would have. I thought in places, at least, there was some potential for further explanation for certain parts of the story. Not bad though overall.
  92. Nov 17, 2013
    When I played this I was scared. I know there, well I don't think there is any ghosts but I was scared. Like really really scared. The games gameplay is scary/creepy and the graphics look cartoony. I only got to the boy or girls bedroom I was confused on who sleeps there but does it matter?

Overall:
    -Seems scary
    -Bit too dark
    -Cartoony graphics
    Score: 78/100
  93. Dec 17, 2013
    “Gone Home,” a game created by the Fullbright Company, which was formed by three ex staff from the Bioshock video game franchise, is a new type of narrative adventure in the gaming world. You start the game in a rainy, dimly lit atmosphere on the front porch of a mansion you have seen for the first time in your life. Your name is Katie Greenbriar and you are all alone after being away from“Gone Home,” a game created by the Fullbright Company, which was formed by three ex staff from the Bioshock video game franchise, is a new type of narrative adventure in the gaming world. You start the game in a rainy, dimly lit atmosphere on the front porch of a mansion you have seen for the first time in your life. Your name is Katie Greenbriar and you are all alone after being away from home for a year in Europe. Your mission throughout the game is to find out what happened to your family, but along the way you also find out who they really are.
    I studied and played this game in my grade 12 English class at Royal St. George’s College. I was assigned three characters to track, and to find out as much about them as possible. I found that tracking the characters enhanced my overall game experience by prompting me to look deeper into an already rich narrative.
    The narrative involves many major and minor characters whose stories explain the family’s past and present. Although the graphics in “Gone Home” are not as advanced as they are in popular first person shooter games such as Call of Duty and Halo, this augmented the narrative even more. This is because, instead of being captivated by state of the art graphics, the player can focus much more on the narrative story, with fewer visual distractions. For example, the only thing visible through the windows is a pitch-black night sky.
    “Gone Home” introduced me to a new type of gaming experience. Although I enjoyed the experience, I personally prefer the high intensity of sports video games or first person shooters. In these games, the objective is to overcome opponents, whether by killing them or scoring more points. This gets me more involved and focused on the game. In contrast, I found I got bored quickly with the few objectives presented to me in “Gone Home” finding codes for locks and a few secret doors. Although it’s great that “Gone Home” can be used in a classroom environment and it is a very innovative genre of gaming, it could be improved be making it a little more exciting. The demographic groups targeted by this game people in their late teens and early 20s generally want a livelier experience.
    Overall, the positives of this game outweighed the negatives. I enjoyed the new gaming experience even without the fast-paced action and advanced graphics. In this day and age most people believe that a game needs the most action and the best graphics to be popular. The Fullbright Company proved everyone wrong with the success they are having in “Gone Home.” I recommend this game for people who want to try a whole new kind of gaming experience.
  94. Jan 14, 2014
    Is it possible to be very excited and disappointed about a game at the same time? I guess it is.
    "Gone home" is a refreshing approach to storytelling, leaves you on your own in the game, lets you explore your character's an her family's recent past at you own pace. The story is driven forward by searching for clues in the new family home, reading documents, notes, letters. And there are plenty items to examine. The setting includes numerous hints to the 90's pop culture that are a delight to discover.

The good: The game touched me in a way that usually only books or sometimes movies can. This is one of the biggest compliments I can give to storytelling for a video game so far. Many games are astonishing , fun and exciting but rarely the story of a games gets really through to me. This one did! The coming of age background is fun and dramatic, and even if the pace is your own, the story took me on an emotional roller-coaster ride at one point even worrying about another character.

The bad: Unfortunately the setting of the house does not fit. It is simply implausible and unbelievable that a house looks the way it does, regarding the characters described in the game. Some clues that you find, seem to be placed on the spots because of the timing of the story, because the time-line needs you to find them in that particular order. To me the look of the house does not fit the personalities involved which is a major turn-down. This might be a cultural thing related, architecture and mid-class social behaviour being different on different continents, but nevertheless I didn't buy it.

The ugly: The point that disappointed me the most is the fact that the game only uses a fifth of it's potential. Exploring the house, means exploring the life of your family and in this setting the history of the house. I do understand that the focus had to be put on one characters story, but in the end there are too many open ends. Too many questions remain unanswered. There is so much more I wanted to know about characters and my own characters past after finishing the game. It would be ok in a chapter based game with more DLC.

And for the price of 20€ I expected more depth and content.
  95. Jan 15, 2014
    Gone Home is among the pioneers of the story exploration game genre. Story exploration games focus gameplay on a story as opposed to other game mechanics such as puzzles. Gone Home is set in 1995, the player character is a girl named Katie Greenbrair who returns home to an old mansion her family inherited from her uncle while she spent a year abroad. It quickly becomes evident that theGone Home is among the pioneers of the story exploration game genre. Story exploration games focus gameplay on a story as opposed to other game mechanics such as puzzles. Gone Home is set in 1995, the player character is a girl named Katie Greenbrair who returns home to an old mansion her family inherited from her uncle while she spent a year abroad. It quickly becomes evident that the house is vacant. It is the player’s mission to rummage through miscellaneous artifacts littered throughout the mysterious house to piece together hints to discover the whereabouts of the rest of the Greenbrair family. The artifacts found around the house expose three major plot lines, which revolve around Terrence, Katie’s father, Janice, Katie’s mother and Sam, Katie’s younger sister.

The high points of the game are the visual realism of the house and the game’s sound effects. The well-designed rooms around the house containing various artifacts create a lived-in atmosphere. For example the kitchen is realistically disorganized and Sam’s bedroom feels like the bedroom of an angsty teenager. Not only are the rooms realistic, the artifacts within them are equally real. These artifacts include a variety of detailed notes, full length short stories, telephone messages, documents and diary entries. The voice acting and writing done for these artifacts has such attention to detail that it feels like you are actually reading a note written by a 17 year old girl or hearing about her private feelings in her diary. The ambient sounds of the game, such as the soothing yet chilling sound of a thunderstorm, along with the eerie sound of the house creaking accents the mysterious tone of exploring the so called haunted house. Furthermore the variety of Riot Grrrl hits (played by putting found cassettes into tape players) shows Sam’s “stick it to the man” attitude. For example in Sam’s room there is a cassette with the song “Cool Schmool” by Bratmobile which speaks to Sam’s situation with lyrics such as, “I don't wanna hear how many friends you have cause I don't have any.” These lyrics speak directly to Sam’s situation when she first moved into the house as she was having trouble making friends.

The negative aspects of the game are the price of the game, the game’s controls and repeated artifacts. Although exposing the game’s story line is rewarding, at a cost of $20 for 2-3 hours of gameplay is not great value as there are numerous other games you could get much more playtime out of for the same price. Secondly not being able to run in the game although not necessary was an inconvenience while trying to search for a specific artifact or travel across the house. Lastly there were many artifacts that were repeated throughout many rooms such as the same tissue box, the second edition of Terrence’s novel and inoperable three ring binders scattered around the house.

Having not remembered the 90’s due to my age I was not able to experience the nostalgia from the 90’s culture references. For this reason I would recommend this game to anyone who lived through the 90’s, as I do not believe it is worth the $20 for 2-3 hours of gameplay if you cannot fully relate to the culture of the atmosphere.
  96. Mar 1, 2014
    How well do you really know the people closest to you? When Kaitlin Greenbriar returns home from a gap year in Europe to find her entire family gone, it’s up to her to uncover the secrets that didn’t make it into those long-distance letters.

Picking up the threads of her family’s lives, the player must explore the colossal house they have since moved into, examining letters, newspaper clippings and, if one so chooses, the hundred thousand other details that make up a life. If it’s the people, and not the house, that make a home, then this game shows how each individual has inhabited every room with their cares, uncertainties and basic humanity.

From hastily scrawled notes passed between friends during class, to adult magazines buried under work documents, Gone Home is teeming with meticulously authentic details of family life that the player is at liberty to snoop through, turning each find over to yield further hidden notes or features.

Read the full review at: http://inkysquiggles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/gone-home-review-house-is-not-home.html
  97. Oct 10, 2014
    Although I give this a 5, I concede that this game being grounded in a setting "too non-fiction" already creates a staid atmosphere for a gamer such as myself.

In Gone Home you're alone in a huge house, you can't walk, and "gameplay" is basically lookin' at stuff in this very active environment and getting filled in on what you missed while you were gone. The game gives you a digital family and through, basically, THEIR STUFF, tries to create an immediate familial relationship. It's a sudden jolt, expecting to care about this family, in particular your sister. I'm not sure if there's a game that does this successfully, but creating a strong emotional connection to characters, where there once was nonce before is a hard task. Books and longer games are better suited for the job than Gone Home is.

The game get interesting when tones of survival-horror are introduced, but they are simply that, tones. The entire game I was expecting to have something really scary happen... expecting anything to HAPPEN really.

I turned on a lot of lights in Gone Home, but I am not particularly moved to go back. By the time I finished Gone Home, I realized that their were some locks I left unopened, some letters I hastily discarded before reading entirely, and some corners of my family's house left unexplored. For me at least, these details shall remain in the dark.
  98. Mar 27, 2015
    Pretty boring game. Builds up the atmosphere of a horror game and never really delivers. What it does deliver is a relatively uninteresting story with characters I didn't really connect with. Maybe I played it too leisurely and when I was too tired to care, but I assume that a better game would do more to pick up my interest and pace.
  99. Aug 21, 2014
    This is more of an interactive novel than it is a game - and no matter how much I wanted to really like it (riot grrl?! hell yeah!), it just didn't have the game play to back up to $15 price tag.

I beat this game in about 80 minutes, which is saying something. I love to take my time, winding through a game and exploring all of its hidden secrets, but there wasn't a whole hell of a lot of that in this game. You're just walking around in half lit rooms, trying to figure which hallway you're in, trying to move the story forward. This is something that would have definitely worked better as a short story or even a short film.

Maybe the console update will see some improvements, here's to hoping! Not the best, but not the worst either. A solid 6.
  100. Nov 29, 2014
    It is a really interesting game. It has great story, great graphics but it's boring. It was like that I was seen a book made into a game. Gameplay is the most important part of a game and it was really boring after 1 hour and really not worth the price they're asking for. Only buy if it is on sale.
  101. Aug 19, 2013
    The game is quite decent if you look at it from a "proof of concept" kind of standpoint. It shows you that games with a huge focus on story can be made and that they have potential.
    Is this game worth $20, though? Absolutely not.
    Is this game worth $20, though? Absolutely not.

The graphics are alright for this type of game. Nothing spectacular to be sure, but adequate. More attention given to the lighting would have really helped the atmosphere, though.
    The sound design is passable as well. Sound and music are used sparingly but appropriately. Nothing that will wow you, but fitting for the game.

The two major problems, then, are the story and the "gameplay".
    I applaud their effort to completely focus on the exploration and ditch enemies and puzzles altogether. It's just a shame that the exploration really isn't all that fun. You can walk around, pick up objects and examine them. That's it. A bit of variety would have really helped. How about a flashlight to let you explore dark, long abandoned rooms inside the house? How about some semblance of interactivity between items? ANYTHING to break the monotony of slowly walking from room to room.
    I realize that the exclusion of typical gameplay elements was a conscious choice, but it wasn't a good one in my opinion. A game focused completely on exploration should make exploration fun.
    Then we have the story. I have to admit it's well written and indeed somewhat interesting, but it's just out of place and not fitting.
    The tried and true (but nevertheless interesting) setting of the old, spooky mansion at night with a storm blowing outside would have lent itself much better to a real mystery story. I'm not going to spoil anything, but in my opinion they should have stuck with a tried and true (but interestingly told) story to go along with their tried and true setting instead for going with a story that simply feels out of place.
    The fact that the "big reveal" is obvious 20 minutes into the game doesn't help, either.

1. Feb 10, 2015
    Grow Home is an interesting surprise from a publisher who get used to mismanaging his own IP's. This platformer like no other has everything going for you and for a very low price tag. You can easily give it a try.
  2. Jan 5, 2014
    A beautiful, emotionally engaging, artfully crafted game, completely centered around exploration and telling a mature story through interaction.
  3. Dec 2, 2013
    A story that will move some and alienate others.