Gone Home PC

5.4

Mixed or average reviews- based on 2039 Ratings

1. Feb 27, 2017
    Walking simulators have been done better, but this is one of the first good ones that came out. This is much harder to get into with games being focused on story becoming much more popular.
  2. Feb 16, 2017
    Beautiful and inspiring. A powerful case for games as interactive storytelling. The sensation of immersion in someone else's life was immediate and the revelations were perfectly paced.
  3. Jan 15, 2017
    This game is all hype. No ghosts. GAYEST. GAME. EVER. Literally. I wish I could get a refund for the time I spent playing it. I was optimistic all the way until the end. But on a positive note, my husband was right all along.
  4. Jan 2, 2017
    Don't view every pencil and pen. It's useless. I advise concentrate only on note from your sister and note about your uncle, only then you probably feel the pleasure from game.
  5. Dec 14, 2016
    I'm giving this game a 0 to counterbalance the biased reviews of the "professionals." I usually find most critics' reviews to be quite accurate, even if I disagree with certain points. But when it comes to anything "progressive," the game will get disproportionately high scores or anything that is "fanservicey" especially if Japanese-developed, the game will get disproportionately lowI'm giving this game a 0 to counterbalance the biased reviews of the "professionals." I usually find most critics' reviews to be quite accurate, even if I disagree with certain points. But when it comes to anything "progressive," the game will get disproportionately high scores or anything that is "fanservicey" especially if Japanese-developed, the game will get disproportionately low scores. Game Critics, please leave your need for social brownie points out of your reviews!

Real score: 6.5
  6. Dec 10, 2016
    No, dura meno di 1 ora, la trama è di circa 30 frasi, devo scrivere piu io per pubblicare questa recensione che l'autore per pubblicare il gioco.
    Non vale nemmeno gratis, spendete questo tempo per guardare le macchine che passano in mezzo alla strada, è piu produttivo.
  7. Dec 5, 2016
    Épp most játszottam végig és azt kell, hogy mondjam, hogy csak nagyon kevés játék tudott ilyen élményt adni. Először azt hiszed, hogy valami horror, aztán valami séta szimulátor és végül kibontakozik egy olyan történet az elfogadásról és a szeretetről, amilyenre egyáltalán nem is gondoltál. Köszönöm, hogy játszhattam a játékkal.
  8. Nov 28, 2016
    I can’t call this a GAME.

I can’t call this a GAME.

Indeed, I loved the graphics and story of Gone Home. The whole story was full of interactions, which were very detailed and interesting. It somewhat felt like playing ‘Skyrim’, and I even tried to find some 'sweetrolls' while playing. However, none of those tremendous interactions had any single consequence. This is why I felt like being an observer, not a player. Also, there were lots of objects interacting with the player, but the story didn’t make a single interaction with the player. The story didn’t allow the player to participate. Instead, it forced and dictated the player to ‘study’ the whole story. This is why I can’t call Gone Home a ‘game’. Also, there was no single battle event in this game, and the puzzles were too boring. Combinations and secret pathways were not creative at all, and I’m pretty sure that most of the players didn’t get thrilled when they found the secret pathways.

In the technical part, this program had some frame drop issues. I ran this program with GTX 980M and i7 skylake, and I could feel the frames drop while throwing an object or crouching.

However, I didn’t give ZERO to this program just because the music in this game were so good. They fit well to the story and the mood. Especially the ending theme was quite touching, which changed my score from zero to one.

This game could have been much better if they provided some choices and consequences, just like ‘Life Is Strange’. Actually, I think that this program is a downgrade version of ‘Life Is Strange’ in some points, such as interactions and storytelling.

And the worst part of this program is the fact that it costs 20 BUCKS. The price is totally unreasonable since this ‘program’ is never worth it. You’d better buy Portal 2 or Stanley parable with your precious 20 bucks, if you still don’t have them. I also suggest you to add another 20 bucks to buy STEINS;GATE on steam, which is tenfold better than this ‘software’.
  9. Nov 28, 2016
    The best part was the atmosphere of this game.
    The best part was the atmosphere of this game.
    I was able to concentrate on the play time of this game with the unusual atmosphere and background photographs and background music. When I first turned on this game, I felt like I was really in this house alone, and the feeling of euphoria was real enough. The background music was something that the company thought was a big hit, so I thought it would be fascinating to those who missed that time by placing cassette tapes of music that fit the times.
    I was also impressed by the fact that the details for the hardcore player are arranged according to the manufacturer's intentions. I was also impressed that I could indirectly know the personality of the characters through report cards, various documents, and letters. In this way, I have focused more on the relationship between the characters than on the way of direct personality, and it seems that I have seen the clues without fail.
    But I am not American, and since I did not live in the 1990s, it was difficult and emotional to agree with the theme that penetrated the game. I could not sympathize with JFK conspiracy theories, feminism, rock culture that appeared in this game, and it was very difficult to understand when the contents of this part appeared.
    Playing time was also a little less than the price. GTA, Skyrim, Civilization, and other famous games are priced from $ 60 to $ 100, but the games have content that I can play for 10 hours, 100 hours, or even 1000 hours. But the game is worth $ 20 and the play time is 2 hours. I think the price of 5 to 10 dollars is a reasonable price.
    I could also picked up things such as business cards and books so that I could see them while rotating, which I think is unnecessary. Even if you only see some important things like that, you'll see almost the same detail, and development costs and time will be lower.
  10. Nov 27, 2016
    I found gone home a very enjoyable game and I was the first person to finish the game on the very day I downloaded it. The game really drew my attention because the characters in the game were very realistic and the scary mood of the game made it very interesting. Also being an inquisitive person, I had to figure out what was happening around the house.
    Gone home is played inside the huge
    Gone home is played inside the huge mansion Katie, the main character we control and her family owns. Katie comes back from a long trip to find her home abandoned by her younger sister Sam and both of her parents. She has to go around the house and figure out what has happened in the house when she was gone away. Through the game as the user finds more clues about the whereabouts of the family members and especially Sam, Sam’s journals randomly play. These journals give critical information to what happened when Sam was not in the house. Overall the house is very detailed with many postcards Katie sent to the family and grade reports Sam got from School. The ending also has a twist plot which I will not spoil. The ending for me was unexpected.
    However the parts that I thought needed more work was amorphous details that does not conclude in the game. There are many clues to other characters in the game like Oscar, Katie’s grandfather’s brother and Rick, a new ranger assigned where Katie’s mother works.
    These cliff hangers and many unnecessary and amorphous details really draws the user out of the game when the game is finished. I hope the developers will develop these endings. That will make the game way more enjoyable.
    I actually got this game for free from a “source I cannot tell” but if I had to pay for this game, it would not have been worth the money. I think I will rather buy candies or another game than to play this game. Also since the game has no online material, after you finish the game, there is practically nothing you can do more.
    This is why I did not like the cliff hangers since even though you search everything in the house there are too many questioned unanswered and there is no way to figure them out. Therefore I give Gone Home a four.
  11. Nov 27, 2016
    Gone Home, overall, was a refreshing experience, to say the least. I’m not saying this in a positive or negative way—just that it was something new for me. Actually, I had to play this game for a class and to be honest, I don’t know if having been required to play the game made it more or less enjoyable. I tend to get bored of stuff easily (the main reason why I never seem to finish anyGone Home, overall, was a refreshing experience, to say the least. I’m not saying this in a positive or negative way—just that it was something new for me. Actually, I had to play this game for a class and to be honest, I don’t know if having been required to play the game made it more or less enjoyable. I tend to get bored of stuff easily (the main reason why I never seem to finish any video games, TV shows, or anime series), so at least the requirement forced me to even finish the game, something I’m not sure I would’ve done if I was just playing it out of my own will. On the other hand, being required to play the game made me, even if just a little bit, view it as classwork, which, let’s be honest, isn’t really something people typically enjoy.

The game’s graphics were fine, I guess. I had to play the game on the lowest graphics setting, but even so, they were still okay. For gamers, the graphics were probably just average, but for non-gamers, they were probably already beautiful. At least by not having pixelated graphics, the mood of the game wasn’t affected and I was able to play the game without noticing how crappy the graphics were every now and then. For the interface, it’s just the average stuff. Nothing special. I mean, the game doesn’t really require much so… Everything needed to experience the game was there. The simplicity has its own beauty I guess, as there are no unnecessary controls that distract from the story.

The mood of the game was, especially in the beginning, dark and ominous. It was like there’s always something around the corner preparing to kill you. I was looking out for jumpscares all the time. I even had to search if Gone Home is a horror game, just to put my fears to rest. But even after that, I was still constantly unnerved by the continuous pouring of the rain, occasional sound of thunder, and the flickering lights. The game just builds up so much tension and keeps you hanging, which I think, is really clever. It keeps you thinking—where is this story/game really going? And then you just get kind of surprised or dumbfounded as the story progresses that it was nothing like you thought it would be.

Actually, I would say that Gone Home is more of a story than a game. To say in better terminology… an interactive movie? It’s a refreshing way to tell a story, and that’s what I like about it. It’s unconventional. The story, by itself, however, is nothing really special. In its core, it’s just about coming of age (and coming out of the closet haha) and the rebelliousness and confusion experienced by youth. Although, I would say that it’s amazing how we get to see the characters develop so much without even seeing them. The characters were colorful. They had different personalities that were amazingly apparent through a bunch of stuff scattered on the floor. The misleading setting also has its own charm. A seemingly haunted house and a dark, stormy night… who would’ve thought the story would turn out like that? It’s like a plot twist without really being a plot twist. I also found the side stories very interesting, and contributed a whole lot to the main plot without really distracting from it. It’s also nice that the story itself tries to send a message, one that is very relevant to our society nowadays.

I do admit that, from a gaming viewpoint, I consider Gone Home to be boring. I mean, I don’t think you even ‘game’ in this game. But, putting all the factors together, it was quite worth it.
  12. Nov 27, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never have I ever played any form of video game before I knew about Gone Home. However, just the fact that it was an adventure game made me very interested in it, especially that I'm deeply leaning more towards these kinds of games rather than the conventional ideas incorporated in most video games.

Gone Home may not be considered a game because, in my opinion, there is always a way to lose and to repeat all over again in a game. That is not the case here in Gone Home. I would have enjoyed this game more if it included that type. Nevertheless, it has included a bunch of stories intertwining to give us a deeper understanding of the family's relationships inside and out, as well as how it connects to the players. It embodies the current situation of the world that some families or people in the society will encounter, such as LGBT, feminism, teenage angst and even interfamily problems. I felt like Gone Home succeeded in incorporating these concepts and how it affects one family in specific. I have met people whose parents were in denial of their sexuality, females who were deprived of their rights simply because of their gender, and young people who have tendencies of being misdirected because they could not understand why their parents act the way they do. Through this game, people will have a clearer image of these problems as they progress. What makes me appreciate this game is that it effectively used virtual reality for a greater cause. This game has broken the stereotypical mindset I had about video games. Moreover, it gives you the thrill of wanting to know more about the characters especially that the vibe that the game displays has a spooky, thriller effect on it.

However I would frankly not suggest this for people leaning towards adventures to play. To begin with, this game could be finished in less than a week at most, considering that you're a hardcore video game player, or just a newbie finding your way into some interesting games. Yes, the game is thrilling and it encompasses a wide array of ideas that really stimulate your thoughts and pull you more towards the family's story, but I felt like the game could have been developed more so that it contains more elements of what most people like about games. This game was just plainly focused on searching for evidences to collect the pieces of the story, but most of what people want in a game was to literally play and win it, not just simply scrambling over scattered objects in a large, creepy house. I'd obviously not spend money just to buy this game. Nevertheless, I still applaud the creativity of this game in terms of the unconventional ways it has done compared to typical video games.
  13. Nov 27, 2016
    I am a high school student living in Korea, and I have played through this game a few times as it was included in the curriculum in my English class. Although I was a frequent steam user, I have only got to know about this game in class since games of this type, walking simulators, are not exactly of my interest. I felt very uncomfortable and even irritated as I was playing this game atI am a high school student living in Korea, and I have played through this game a few times as it was included in the curriculum in my English class. Although I was a frequent steam user, I have only got to know about this game in class since games of this type, walking simulators, are not exactly of my interest. I felt very uncomfortable and even irritated as I was playing this game at first. However, as I played through the game a few times and found more and more evidences scattered throughout the house, the complexity of the story intertwined in each and every clue has started to catch my interest, and eventually I found myself looking for more possible story-lines that might have been hidden from my view.
    I would like to comment on the technical parts of the game than the story itself. One thing that I think is important for a walking simulator game, is its realistic environment. I am not a person who really cares much about the graphics of a game. It does not affect my game-play so much whether I have the highest or lowest graphics setting. However, one thing I have to talk about is the game’s ‘head bobbing’ affect. This ‘head bobbing’ effect in the video setting actually gives much more reality into the game itself, and give users the feeling that they are actually walking around the house. However, if you are not used to this kind of setting, this might in contrast create dizziness and eventually make you sick. There is a choice for turning off the bobbing effect though, so it does not really matter if you care enough to look for the button. Also, I have felt that this game, a walking simulator game, is much slower than a first-person-shooter games, too much that I felt frustrated that I could not ‘sprint’ in this game. But this also helped me look for evidences much more carefully and provided me more time to think about the story rather than simply running around looking for evidences.
    The technical part of the game Gone Home was in fact frustrating and made me impatient at first. However, as I have gotten used to the game, these factors actually helped me think and concentrate much better on the game. And although it is not mentioned in this review, the storyline of the story has been very interesting thus I would give this game a 7 out of 10.
  14. Nov 27, 2016
    To be honest, this is not that kind of game that I actually like. I am more of a FPS game person so having a "gone home" experience wasn't really attractive to me. However, I had to give it 8 out of 10 and here are the reasons:

First of all, the story behind this whole setup was so interesting and detailed. At first, the game feels like one of those typical "room escape" but then as you explore the game, players are made to find out about the story and get deeper into it. Also, the graphics and details in the game are extremely amazing, and this is one of the biggest reason that made me give this game an 8 out of 10 — I love to look at such details(even in FPS games, I look for details, since they create the atmosphere so that players could be "absorbed" in the game). For instance, when you pick up an item and throw it back, you can find out that the items and the objects around them follow physics law, which helps give you a surprisingly real-like experience. Maybe they mounted physics and math engine?
    I admit that story telling games definitely do have limitations, that is, once the story is fully discovered, the players won't go back to the game to start over again, making the game a one-time experience. Though, it could have been better if they had the story to be more various, like having variety of endings, insert hidden missions, etc. This was one of the few factors that made me disappointed; once you clear the game and collect all the objectives in the game(which is not even a lot) you will quickly lose interest in the game.
    Now, the other disappointing factor — and probably the greatest negative factor for most other players who bought this game — is the price. The game, for me, is more likely a masterpiece worth keeping, not that kind of game that I frequently open and play for fun(like civilization or overwatch). This is why my rating doesn't take price into consideration that much(otherwise it would have been less than 6). If you are not one of those people who are interested in collecting good masterpiece games —which means that you are more likely a person who is more interested in games that are not one-time enjoy only — I strongly suggest you not to buy the game.
  15. Nov 27, 2016
    For me, this was almost the first video game that I have played with my computer. Although I did not have a computer mouse so the controlling of the game was not smooth as expected, it was an interesting game with specific details that lead people back to the aura of the 1900s.
    This is a general exploration game of an unfamiliar house that the main character has encountered. If you look around the house, you can observe fascinating details that the developers has hidden into the corner of every house. Not only the visual details, but there are also auditory details just scattered around the floor or on the furniture. It is just astonishing how they cared about something as little as hand-written like letters to crumpled notes. Never in any escaping game that I have seen such a complete story and little clues that match up for the whole story. Also, there were some missing information that you could not obtain unless you have looked thoroughly through all the house. It leads you to continue the game even after you have finished it, because finishing the game does not mean that you have understood everything about the relationships between the characters. Even if you have poked every end of the house, it gives very different impression. The conclusion that you lead differes depending on your experience, and that makes the game attractive.
    However, the ending of the game was not as I have expected. You can just end the game by chance, if you go to the right place. This was the most critical disadvantage of the game. There is no worthy reward for finishing the game. There is no more information given because you have successfully finished the game. Exploring is more emphasized then playing the game and seeing the ending, which was a disappointing point for me. The game just threw us a house, and nothing else.
    The graphics were okay, and the control was hard since I did not have a mouse, so had to use the mouse pad so the character sometimes did not move as I have wanted her to move. Therefore I rated this game as 5 for the extraordinary details and the game that has nothing but details.
  16. Nov 27, 2016
    Gone Home is walking simulation game. A girl, which we are playing, comes back her family’s new home from one year trip but there is no one in home. She looks for some evidence and stuffs to find out what happened to her family and where they are. We walk around the house and find hints and keys. As we play the game, we can play game as fast as we can, but we can read, listen and followGone Home is walking simulation game. A girl, which we are playing, comes back her family’s new home from one year trip but there is no one in home. She looks for some evidence and stuffs to find out what happened to her family and where they are. We walk around the house and find hints and keys. As we play the game, we can play game as fast as we can, but we can read, listen and follow the story line.
    Well, since it’s a game, it has some good and some bad like every other games. For the good aspects, it gives us well-implemented cultural stuffs in 20th century such as teenager rock group. We can also play this game as we want. We can clear the game as soon as possible. We can go inside every room, throw every things we can, read every papers and letter, and find every stories about this family. Also, its story line consists of some conflicts in real society, such as teenager standing against their parents, mother’s new boyfriend, and widespread taboo for homosexual love. This is very meaningful that dealing with such sensitive issues in the game.
    This game, gone home, has some negative points. To finish this game, we have find some paper and read about secret passage in this home. But this paper doesn’t indicate exactly where it is. I first found it by coincidence, and it may take much time to find it. This can be a big problem. Also, it is so non-addictive. When we first play the game, we are interested and concentrated to find a hint and strictly follow the story. But when we first clear the game and play it again, it has nothing new. We know where the every hint and key is and every passwords for safe. Place for hint and key are never changed and also the passage. There’s even video for clearing this game in less than one minute! I think we will play this game at most 5 times.
    Well, this was very new game for me. It was very fresh and interesting, but for the first time. Its story is profound and this game can be played in various ways. I think we have to take a very long time to play this game for each turn, reading and listening papers and find the storyline.
  17. Nov 27, 2016
    When we were told in our Critical Thinking class that we had to play a game, I wasn’t too thrilled about it (partly because my laptop is pretty heavy to carry along with my Calculus book), but hearing about Gone Home being this interactive game that unfolds a story as you go along to ‘investigate’, I thought that wasn’t too bad at all—it was even more than exciting for me. The game startsWhen we were told in our Critical Thinking class that we had to play a game, I wasn’t too thrilled about it (partly because my laptop is pretty heavy to carry along with my Calculus book), but hearing about Gone Home being this interactive game that unfolds a story as you go along to ‘investigate’, I thought that wasn’t too bad at all—it was even more than exciting for me. The game starts on a dark and stormy night; it was June 7, 1995, and the character you’re playing, Kaitlin Greenbriar, just returned to an empty home. The goal is to search around the house and discover clues on what happened while she was gone—exactly what her sister, Samantha, asked her not to do on a note stuck to the front door. Exploring inside the large house, wherein we will later find secret passageways, was surreal even with the graphics set on low. All the items you’ll see, whether you are able to pick them up or not, and even the technology stick to the setting of the game quite loyally, giving you a peek of the ‘90s. While searching for clues, you can observe a room fully and be able to feel as if you’re looking through the personal belongings of a real person or in the case of Sam’s room, you can actually relate to what being a teenager felt like. The journals you’ll suddenly hear when you touch certain objects were also well-recorded. I don’t have much experience with games to compare it with anything, but I have heard that the voice acting for this game was quite exceptional on its own. While I found the game enjoyable at first, especially when you’re still at the beginning, madly curious to piece everything, I found the whole point of the game lacking. It may be due to the fact that I am fond of horror and more dramatic plot lines, but the game doesn’t really give you much space to actually investigate your own, only to find that the story of the family is not quite the dark past (or present for them) that you expected. Rather than setting standards too high, it is logical that the eerie sound effects and lights suddenly turning off or dimming set the mood for a more interesting story. This also wasn’t the detective game I was hoping for. On the contrary, you’re simply an outsider going through the house and observing what unfolds until you finish the game. Even Kaitlin’s reactions feel too far from what a real family member should be experiencing after finding a creepily deserted home instead of a warm homecoming. I think I also expected the clues to be harder to unlock, actually requiring some critical thinking and even small deductions within the game to get a good guess of your own as to how the game ends. It is understandable that others who actually paid $20 for this find it unsatisfactory and don’t even consider it a good adventure game. However, I think the game’s attention to the smallest details on objects around the house and the fact that it seems to be a time capsule on its own, able to bring nostalgia to the older audience, make the game a worthwhile experience on a quiet and lazy day given that there’s nothing more interesting to do than poke around the privacy of a digital family. Expand
  18. Nov 27, 2016
    This game has a good story and an intriguing, pretty complicated plot. Also, the hidden message behind the story was pretty fun.
    What really got me were the details of the game. The voice acting was very good and realistic, and there were many details and parts that made the game a real-life experience. I could pick up anything from a pizza box to a letter from a girlfriend, or do anything, from meaningful things such as discovering a secret passage to very mundane and very non-meaningful things such as flushing a toilet or crouching down. The details were totally realistic, and it felt as if I were really in the American house itself.
    However, as an international player, anything else excluding the main plot was very hard to understand. There were tons of video game references and other 90’s American references that were impossible to understand. Without this, the game was, except for the actual plot, straightforward and dull. If I understood some things about American culture in the 90’s, it would have been kind of exciting and like a treasure hunt, but I could only relate to the main plot and nothing else. It was like watching ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them’ without reading Harry Potter. Nothing really caught me, and something was missing.
    Also, I would have liked to know about the other characters a bit more as well. It would have been nice if there was more evidence and more references for the other characters, leading to their own stories as well. Uncle Oscar deserved a bigger role, and Katie’s parents did as well. There was nothing about Katie as well, and although I understand the concept of the game and that Katie is only a strictly third-person narrator, it would have been better if there were more quips or narrations with her opinion. The evidence was too matter-of-fact, and the narrator was too calm and composed. Wouldn’t it be better if the narrator was more… human?
    Since I got this file for free during class, I can’t complain about its price. However, I think the price is too extreme for this one-time experience. If you want to purchase this file, I recommend you reconsider. It’s nice enough, but not worth your 20 dollars. Go buy yourself something delicious, watch a movie, or buy a present for someone you love. Although this is a good experience, I can think of a million things better to do with this amount of money.
  19. Nov 27, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game Gone Home, was like a second-lasting magnificence. I really enjoyed playing it, but it was somewhat disappointing.
    First of all, like all the other reviews, the story itself were essentially well-made. Hidden stories of love and growing up of Sam Greenbriar were wisely distributed and placed through the empty mansion. Each clue was not so big or so small that I could follow the whole story flow naturally, and records played at particular moments or places of the game also helped me understand the stories. (Actaully my favorite part was the emergence of the character "Lonnie" after opening the locker, who actually takes almost same importance in the story as the protagonist(Sam) does.)
    However, the route to finding the story in the game was not that satisfying. Before finding the story, all I did was wandering around the mansion examining useless things like all the books in the whole house. Very first clues to "enter" the main story such as stuff in Sam's locker, or loose panels were too hard to find. For me, who have not ever played this kind of game before, spent almost eighty percent of whole playing time wandering around. But more disappointing thing was that the main story(after entering the secret door) was super fast. It took just five to ten minutes. As this was the most enjoyable part of this game, I wish this part should be much longer to be a good game. Actually, I even felt 'what have i done???' after opening the attic door and listening to ending clip. It takes too long to the starting line, and the track to rush is too short.
    For the technical reasons, I was a little disappointed again. At the very first moment playing this game, I had no idea how to pick or select objects. White dot in the center of the screen, or "cursor" is too small, and I could barely find the tutorial about this. It would be easier for players to enlarge the cursor and make it more visible.
    The game Gone Home was one of my first game experience in this mystery - exploration field, and it was quite an interesting experience!
  20. Nov 27, 2016
    A giant home. Creaky doors. Roaring thunder. A sullen atmosphere. A glimpse of dismal silence struggling with fright and panic. What would you feel when you happen to be in this kind of environment? Rather, what would you do? Well fortunately, I happened to witness this horror-ish, vehement kind of setting. But sorry to burst your bubble, it didn’t happen in real life. (How I wish it wereA giant home. Creaky doors. Roaring thunder. A sullen atmosphere. A glimpse of dismal silence struggling with fright and panic. What would you feel when you happen to be in this kind of environment? Rather, what would you do? Well fortunately, I happened to witness this horror-ish, vehement kind of setting. But sorry to burst your bubble, it didn’t happen in real life. (How I wish it were in real life, but no.) It’s a game. Surprised? Well, this seemingly infinite darkness and apprehensive game lives up to its name Gone Home.

I’m just going to make this straight to the point. Before I started typing, I asked myself “What was the best thing in the game Gone Home?” Well, it’s not a question that I can answer with confidence. To say, at the very least, “it’s perfect” is beyond imagination. But truth be told, I’m more than willing to say all the good compliments in this world. But I don’t have the entire time to enumerate all of them, let alone give explanations and reasonable arguments as to why I chose them. Let’s just start with, what I can say, the most important things that make up a game like Gone Home.

To start off, well the story itself, I must say, is the absolute epitome of what’s been happening throughout these days. It’s not your-kind-of-perfect game where it tries to put you to another dimension, let alone impede you from seeing the harshness of reality. It, actually, was a good taste of both precision and deformity. Precision because its undeviating storyline completely goes in a straight route. No side roads. No fillers. No humps. It’s just there. You just need to observe. On the other hand, deformity because the game was brave enough to tackle such beliefs beyond our entire acceptance in the world. It spans depths beyond beliefs, seriously. But nevertheless, the story fills the game with vibrant moods ready to propagate forth into flawed life.

Next one, the characters that make up the story. If you happened to play the game, you might have noticed that everything mentioned had the prevalent theme ‘change’. Indeed, change is inevitable, a process we cannot surely avoid. In the game, you thought everything was placed in its rightful places, but no. Because after some time, everything was disorderly messed up. One character’s term of change completely went out of control. One character’s metamorphosis made him/her become much of a better person. One character’s transformation remained neutral. You see, what the characters did with ‘change’ was their choice. Some characters chose to accept change, make best use of it, and use it to grow as better persons. Some characters became indifferent to change, or maybe even resentful to it. (How I wish all changes turned out beautiful. But that would definitely deprive some characters of their freedom to choose.)

These are not so vague examples, but take note that there are so much more I can credit this game for. You see, you cannot compare this game to another game because you cannot make them compete on their own, both masters of their respective raised area. But what makes the game Gone Home more stunning to me is the combined efforts, commitments, and sacrifices of the people behind the game. Of course, if it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t have played Gone Home. I wouldn’t have the chance to know the secrets that lie within this gigantic house. I wouldn’t have the chance to grasp the powerful storyline.

Honestly, it is marvelous to witness how people can nurture their idea and mold it into something that is devastatingly amazing. So before I end this review of mine, I just would like to take this opportunity to commend the people who were behind the production of the game. With their sets of skills and knowledge, they crafted the game with more beauty than I could muster. Without any thinking of wordplay or vacillating between dullness or panic, I can say the game managed to get my attention through the ‘story telling’ in a confounding performance.

Well, it’s up to you if you will have the courage to play this one hell of a crazy game. It might not be a bad idea for you to try this, what do you think?
  21. Nov 26, 2016
    I believe that observing the belongings of a person and how these things are placed gives you a bigger picture of who that person is rather than talking to them for a few minutes. This is precisely the experience that Gone Home has given to its players.
    Gone home was a unique and interesting experience for me. I love playing mystery games, and this was no exception. The difference between this game and others I’ve played before is the amazingly realistic experience of getting to know the characters by exploring their living space. There was no linear progression required to complete the game; it is up to the player to explore and take his/her time in piecing together the information given by all the things strewn all around the house. Added to this is being given a role in the game: One plays the game as Kaitlin, the eldest daughter of the Greenbriar family who just came home from a yearlong trip abroad. In her absence, a lot of things have changed. Exactly what these are, you’ll have to discover for yourself as you walk through the mansion.
    The mood of the game was very tension-filled and dark, because of the rain, the constant lightning and thunder and the creaking sounds all throughout the house. The game was set in the 90’s, and it is evident in the artifacts present in the house. It makes you feel as though you’re really there, walking and touching these items. As you walk through every room, you’ll find more and more evidence of just exactly what happened to the family. You can pick up various household items and papers where you’ll find information. The focus of the story revolves around the youngest daughter, Sam, and her struggles as she trudges through puberty. The relationship of her parents is also outlined in the story. All the items: books, technology, music, papers and more give a much deeper meaning than their superficial appearance. They fit in into these characters lives, giving you the feeling that the house is buzzing with their presence even though they aren’t around physically.
    Gone Home is a journey of discovery. I especially liked the writing style
    of the story and the clues around the house. It is interesting how so many small details can come together and build a realistic and intricate story. Most of the things the characters are going through are very relatable and real. The game is exciting not in a way that you are actively solving puzzles or fighting monsters, but as you passively observe everything, you realize that this is the story of a family with real problems and real connections. The good thing about this is that there’s nothing to distract you from the journey of discovering by yourself. The game never gave any hints or clues; it seems like the makers left it up to the players to piece together and even interpret what they have seen.
    It can be a bit disorienting at times because the house is very big and the way of controlling the game sometimes made me dizzy. However, once you get used to it, you’ll get sucked into the emotion and twists that this game has to offer. The story was very compelling while I was playing it, but somehow, it didn’t stick with me for as long as I thought it would have. But it still has a lot of merits. This game is important in a sense that it gives focus on issues of the time period and it is very rooted in the real world, and it gives each character a three-dimensional personality: strengths, flaws and all. You’ll surely enjoy stripping the shrouds of mystery that hang over the Greenbriar family and reveling in the picture that you’ll paint of who exactly these characters are.
  22. Nov 26, 2016
    I played this game as an activity in my English class and before I even started playing it, I sort of knew what it was talking about. It is an interactive story driven game, that tries to tell the struggles of a young lady. This game contains a rich environment, that tries to talk about the family, their activities and their personalities.

But to be honest the game falls flat real

But to be honest the game falls flat real quick. Yes, the environment feels full of things but same objects repeated again and again. I found the same toilet paper roll around the house in a large number. Everything looks bland. There are so many things in the mansion yet, it feels empty. There are people living in the house, yet it doesn't feel like it. It just feels meh.

The story is a very predictable one. After playing one-fourth of the game, the player will know what will happen next. It is not bad, but it is not amazing. Everything surrounding the main character is great but the main story just falls flat. The relationship between the mother and the father, the school and the crazy uncle's story is all great but Lonnie's and Sam's relationship is meh.

Overall, Gone Home is a slow and boring walking simulator that finishes with a story not good enough for my liking.
  23. Nov 24, 2016
    Although I myself is not much of a game-person, I am a big fan of puzzle-solving, adventure genre games, such as ‘The Walking Dead’ by Telltale Games, or ‘The Room’ by Fireproof Games, which are not only beautifully designed, but also come with great stories and some serious topics. I had high expectation about this game, ‘Gone Home’, as I loved games of this genre, and critics also gaveAlthough I myself is not much of a game-person, I am a big fan of puzzle-solving, adventure genre games, such as ‘The Walking Dead’ by Telltale Games, or ‘The Room’ by Fireproof Games, which are not only beautifully designed, but also come with great stories and some serious topics. I had high expectation about this game, ‘Gone Home’, as I loved games of this genre, and critics also gave great scores on it. After playing this game however, I was bit disappointed.
    To talk about story first, the plot itself has bit interesting parts, but is boring overall. There aren’t many twists and the story is too simple, which also makes the game itself boring. Another problem with the story is that it has too much unnecessary characters and stories related to them, while main story related to the key characters in this game is way too short. Stories of those minor characters, where most of them are members of Greenbriar family, represents typical American family, which brings extra reality to game. However, most of them are quite irrelevant to the main story, and make players get easily distracted. I think the developers should have get rid of these unnecessary stories, and should have invested more time in making main story more sophisticated.
    Second, let’s talk about actual gameplay. To talk about good things first, I really liked the user interface. It was really easy to use, and it didn’t take more than a minute to get used to controls. Also, the maps and journals helped me understand the general story and gameplay in depth. There were some minor bugs. Some objects disappeared when they were thrown away, but it didn’t affect gameplay much. Some disappointing aspects were limited map size, small number of in-game problems, and unnecessary clues. The map, which is the Greenbriar family’s house, is too small. Most of the areas in the house, including the hidden ones, are accessible within an hour or two, and they make players get bored quickly. Small number of problems that you actually have to solve in game also made gameplay boring. Most of them were quite easy; merely finding hints to get passwords for lockers, or finding keys and maps for hidden places. There weren’t much problems to solve by using objects in the game. There were a lot of stuff from 90s, but most of them were just left as a background, which had almost no effect in the main gameplay. Game graphics and sound effects were great, but I think they can still be improved.
    To sum up, ‘Gone Home’ is more of an interactive visual novel, rather than exciting puzzle-solving, adventure genre game, and can be disappointing. Although it features nice graphics and sound effects, it lacks in depth and length of main story, and contains some unnecessary details that can be distracting. While I don’t think this game worth anywhere near $ 20, it is still a game where you can sit back, relax, and enjoy.
  24. Nov 18, 2016
    Ultimately, Gone Home is a story about the struggles of a teenager coping with the stigma of homosexuality and the sad realities of life, including the dysfunctions in her family and history of the setting the game takes place in. A well told story overall, but otherwise quite unremarkable in all other aspects of the game.
  25. Nov 12, 2016
    boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short, short.........
  26. Nov 2, 2016
    This is barely a game. Its a mystery story that you have to unravel yourself by exploring a house and interacting with objects, mostly its just reading written messages. Gone Home made me understand that im not a fan of this kind of story telling, but that doesnt say i outright hated it or didnt enjoy it to some degree. It was a short and decent experience for me. Which i really liked wasThis is barely a game. Its a mystery story that you have to unravel yourself by exploring a house and interacting with objects, mostly its just reading written messages. Gone Home made me understand that im not a fan of this kind of story telling, but that doesnt say i outright hated it or didnt enjoy it to some degree. It was a short and decent experience for me. Which i really liked was the atmosphere and the ambience you get to experience by playing this, game feels kinda spooky and feeling of being all alone in the house worked really well.

As for story, it was intriguing to see mid 90's from teen's perspective and i wanted to solve the mystery of main protagonist's missing family. Its just that once you do, you dont feel that rewarded. Once you find out to what has happaned to your little sister, which also is the game's main objective and the ending, will leave players either pissed or understanding, depedning how you look at the world, itll overall help you decide if you wasted your money on this game or not. I for myself feel that 20 $ is quite steep for what you get here considering the content and 2 - 3 hour gameplay if you play the game as devs intended that is.
  27. Oct 31, 2016
    Gone Home is either a bare-bones adventure game or a walking simulator which included a very small number of puzzle elements. I would suggest it is really more like the latter from a cladistics point of view; its attraction lies in that direction, and if you’re looking for really cerebral gameplay, this isn’t the place to look.

Gone Home is really a story that happens to be presented in

Gone Home is really a story that happens to be presented in a video game format. The game consists of you (a early 20s woman who lives as an independent adult – you were in the military) coming home after a vacation in Europe to an empty house; your parents and your sister are all absent, and as you explore the house, it becomes increasingly clear that it is a bit disheveled. You find some notes from your sister scattered around, as well as various notes and scraps of life left by your sister and parents. Some of these trigger audio logs from your sister, which are really journal entries that you are listening to. These tell the story about what your sister has been going through over the last year, and the story of her relationship with Lonnie, a girl she knows.

There are other stories interwoven into that one – your father, who is a failed writer who is trying to climb back on the horse while working a real job, and your mother, who is struggling with her relationship with your father and who might or might not be having an affair, or at least contemplating one, as well as the story of the former owner of the house that your family moved into while you were in the military.

These stories all come together to create a picture of a family that is troubled, but not broken, and of people who are people. Your sister is an immature high school student, but she is mostly immature like rebels without a cause are. Lonnie seems to be simultaneously more and less mature; she’s a bad influence on your sister in some ways, but also seems to have a more realistic and grounded view of the world in other ways.

I liked the story of the lives presented here; it is sort of everyday drama, with people struggling with real problems rather than contrived situations (much as the game likes to pretend at one point that there might be supernatural elements involved).

What I didn’t like, however, was the ending; when you get to the end, it seems to sort of throw away Lonnie’s character to force a “happy ending” which, if you think about it, isn’t actually really a happy ending at all. And this sort of ruins the story to an extent, because the whole story had been about growing up and trying to accept reality and find happiness through it, and then the end has Lonnie and your sister throw all that away while making a very stupid decision which flies in the face of Lonnie’s prior characterization, as well as the general theme of the piece.

I’ll also note that it is possible to sequence skip in this game; as I assumed it was more gamey than it really was, I managed to find some secret passages, including the one that lead to the very final area of the game, far before I was supposed to. This partially spoiled a major aspect of the story to me from quite early on. The worst of it is, finding these secret passages isn’t even very hard if you are familiar with floor plans and realize that there are empty spaces which, in a real house, would have rooms in them.

In the end, I’m left feeling ambivalent about this game. I wouldn’t not recommend it – I thought it was a decent enough use of two hours of my time – but simultaneously, I feel bad about recommending it, because in the end, the story doesn’t really feel like it actually came together thematically and tossed its build-up away for an ending that the game thinks is a happy one, but which the rest of the story (and plain logic) suggests wouldn’t be.
  28. egn
    Aug 20, 2016
    Pretentious, hipster nonsense. Presents itself as "art" but really feels more like a proof-of-concept for the real game they intend to build, but never did nor will ever actually create.

Again: Pretentious, hipster nonsense.
  29. Jul 16, 2016
    I'm rating this game a five in protest to rave scores from professional critics. Oh, I'm perfectly fine with indie games, as well as 'experience' 'games' in general, but giving this short collection of interactive notes (that's what this really is) anything over 60 or 70 is ridiculous.
  30. Jul 8, 2016
    Entediante, sem emoção nenhuma... uma historinha bem fraquinha contada de uma forma chata. Nada de inesperado, nada de revelador, nada capaz de lhe envolver ou emocionar.
  31. Jun 28, 2016
    Much of the conflict this game produces is between the price and its ambitious intent. If we could suppress grumblings over price of a game, whatever it may be, and presuppose that people who are interested in exploring video games as an evolving, branching genre, being rapidly redefined by technological platforms and with unique pressures to innovate exerted by the redundancy ofMuch of the conflict this game produces is between the price and its ambitious intent. If we could suppress grumblings over price of a game, whatever it may be, and presuppose that people who are interested in exploring video games as an evolving, branching genre, being rapidly redefined by technological platforms and with unique pressures to innovate exerted by the redundancy of mainstream games, then maybe some could adopt the mindset that we are paying to preview separate attempts to test the medium.

No, its not gaming in the typical sense, with objectives and enemies and points and what not. Finding the items that further unlock chapters of the story isn't even challenging- and would be annoying if it were. The game play encourages a type of player participation which some may not be willing to engage with because that just isn't what they have been conditioned to expect when they boot up their computer or turn on their console after a begrudging day's work. Perhaps the negativity stems from video games being used and abused as an unambiguous, private 'system of rewards and punishments' where the user can manipulate a simulation representing their metric worth through predictable, rational choices. Very unlike the external systems in daily life people use to feel reward and fulfillment which tend to be impersonal, ambiguous and transitory such as relationships and careers.
    Gone Home then has subtleties which can be crushed or completely overlooked by a mind prickling and hastening for achievements or to get to the end. To such a player, this game may well seem empty and tedious.
    Gone Home presents a sense of 'place' that you can carry with you when you are not playing the game, similar to the way a book's characters and story lines can continue to resonate while you are away. The story is psychological- the father's various manuscript titles seem to reflect his subconscious grappling with his role as father, author, and son. They are a side story in themselves if the player cares to care. The central growth of the relationship which objects and audio reveals is clever and has characteristics of actual relationships where two people search for compatibility through imitation, worship, showboating, etc.
    It is interesting to watch how the family 'hangs together' as depicted by their material lives and sparse usage of various spaces. The scarcity of directives paired with sandbox like freedom to remove items from the dishwasher, put things back as they were or toss them anywhere, close the trash lid on scandalous notes or leave them in view for the family to discover later, creates a unique feeling of participation, but only to those who care to place their actions within the narrative context.
    That said, I wouldn't read this story if it were a book. But can appreciate it as a laudable exercise in experimenting with less overt ways of attaching meaning to action in a game instead of downgrading it as not worth your money because it defied (or rather attempted to broaden) an expectation. Rather than using metrics that reduce value to a numeric scale, the significance of things are bounded only by the player's imagination and interpretations, and the conflicts within a nuclear family is a rife universal theme.
  32. Jun 28, 2016
    Gone Home, in my eye's is an amazing game, but not many people will agree with me. The game does lack a lot in gameplay, but totally makes up for it in story, not everyone likes the story but if you do you will fall in love with the main characters. This game let's you explore in anyway you desire and this game is 100% player driven, you control the pace not the game, your hand is neverGone Home, in my eye's is an amazing game, but not many people will agree with me. The game does lack a lot in gameplay, but totally makes up for it in story, not everyone likes the story but if you do you will fall in love with the main characters. This game let's you explore in anyway you desire and this game is 100% player driven, you control the pace not the game, your hand is never held but you still know where to go through great game design. The story is the crowning jewel of this game, telling a rich and realistic story that will get you invested for the couple of hours that you play this game. Also this game is really short, about 1-3 hours but I feel like 3 hours is perfect for a game like this it give you quality over quantity. As said not everyone will like this game, there's basically no gameplay, the story isn't for everyone, and I can imagine for some people the pacing is quiet slow. But if you like games like Life is Strange then you will absolutely love Gone Home. Expand
  33. Jun 22, 2016
    Gone Home is quite possibly one of the most boring games I've ever played. It's a stretch to even call it a video game, as most of what you do it uncover narrative clues in order to find out the story. As the twist becomes more and more apparent, rather than becomes intrigued, like the game wants you to, I found myself collectively losing more and more interest in a world which failed toGone Home is quite possibly one of the most boring games I've ever played. It's a stretch to even call it a video game, as most of what you do it uncover narrative clues in order to find out the story. As the twist becomes more and more apparent, rather than becomes intrigued, like the game wants you to, I found myself collectively losing more and more interest in a world which failed to ever grab me. There's no real gameplay to be had, but the story itself, being all that the game has to hold on to, never comes to be anything interesting or gripping, instead making me go "ok, so that's why critics liked this game" instead of actually offering me anything worth liking myself. It doesn't help that the game hinges so much of its setup on 90's nostalgia either. This period is perfect for targeting the primary demographic of games reviewers, who have been the ones singing praise of Gone Home, but if, like me, you didn't grow up in the 90's and therefore have no connection to period, the references only become irritating rather than endearing as they are meant to be. If you're really inclined to know what this game's all about, do yourself a favor and look up a YouTube playthough rather than shelling out money on an actual copy. The level of interactivity here is so low that you'll lose nothing by seeing someone else click on the long list of "interactable" objects rather than doing it yourself. Expand
  34. Jun 4, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. By game standards it's terrible, it does absolutely nothing to deserve it's high review scores, the graphics, art style, sound production, storytelling, everything about it is underwhelming, there are fan fictions and teen novels with better coming of age stories and the only logical reason you can come to explaining the critic scores is a combination of nepotism (which you can verify online) and the fact that it *SPOILER ALERT* reveals a forbidden lesbian relationship as it's climax, there's no chance in hell it would have scored so high if the relationship in question was heterosexual with the over-handed "diversity" peddling found in current games journalism, not to mention the whole marketing premise and initial gameplay leads you to believe this is a horror game or hides some dark conspiracy, rendering the end incredibly anti climatic. And with no puzzles or anything to provide entertainment other than the terrible narrative the fact it's reviewed so well utterly stinks. Even games that are considered barely games other more interactivity than this dross. AVOID (unless you're an SJW retard you'll love this crap). Expand
  35. Jun 1, 2016
    Gone Home is a narrative videogame where the player must discover details of the story to understand what is going on and what to do next. The story is about a Katie (you as a player), a girl who just came back from a year abroad, to discover that her dysfunctional family is gone and her sister (Sam) has left a note for her at the door warning her not to look into it and saying herGone Home is a narrative videogame where the player must discover details of the story to understand what is going on and what to do next. The story is about a Katie (you as a player), a girl who just came back from a year abroad, to discover that her dysfunctional family is gone and her sister (Sam) has left a note for her at the door warning her not to look into it and saying her goodbyes. The house was left to them by their uncle, who will also be an important part of the search. As Katie walks into the house, she sees the mess that they left behind and it’s the purpose of the game to go through it and draw conclusions from whatever it is you find.

Apart from the storyline, this game has something very unique: Sam’s journals. As you find key objects to the investigation, you get pieces of audio talking about what you just found. For example, there is one that talks about how hard it was for Sam to move to the new school. These tapes create a sense of completion, where you are not missing a part of the story, but you are getting all the information because in a way, it is a reward for finding what you just did. They also add a lot of details to the narration and by being able to know what Sam was really thinking, not what her stuff wanted to let us know, it also became relatable. There are many feelings and many situations that, although keys for this occasion, might be everyday for us or might be something we see at school or at home. In this sense, the videogame managed to capture my favorite characteristic of the novels I read. No matter what it is about, there are feelings or situations that you can always make connections with. This is normally different with games. For example, Grand Theft Auto is not really that relatable… unless you enjoy stealing cars and randomly killing people.

Additionally, Gone Home has a lot of details that don’t really matter at the end, but during the run, they seem crucial. This is because the game has parallel stories, one being the disappearance of Sam and the other one being the backstory of the house. While the player gets to discover little details of Katie’s parents and sister, he/she can also find items such as obituaries, game boards, books, and letters, that reveal details of Uncle Mason, who left the house to Katie’s dad when he died. Through Sam’s diaries, you also get to know about his reputation and that only feeds the environment set by the appearance of the house. This same appearance is the one that allows the player to imagine multiple different outcomes, many of them cynical, a mere fantasy, or even a supernatural event. These two parallel stories combine perfectly together to create an expectation or a hypothesis on what happened to Sam or at least, the reason why she left. This also allows for the hooking of the player with the game. Creating expectations on the players causes the plot twists to be even more shocking and leave the player impatient to know what will happen, just like in a novel.

Gone Home is the best integration of literature into a videogame that I have ever seen. It is true that it can be solved in two seconds, but that is only when you know where to look. The fun part of this game is not to win, but to follow the story and try to connect all the creepy things you might find in your search for your virtual sister.
  36. Jun 1, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sometimes objects speak more than words. A house for instance can tell a story even better than its inhabitants. The game Gone Home does precisely this. In this game you don’t see people, you are alone in a house. Despite not having people inside the house the game involves extremely complex and well developed characters. One gets to know the people that lived in the house as if one had actually met them. The setting of the game is very important to the development of it. It is set in 1995 in a house. The family living in it got it as inheritance and are just moving in. As one plays the game he is emerged into a story about a dysfunctional family. The player becomes Katie, the older sister who has been living in Europe for a month and comes back home only to find a letter from her sister Sam stating that she won't be home, and instructing her sister to not snoop around to try and find out where she is.

Clearly we, the gamers, do the opposite than what we are told and we start looking around to find out what happened. In the game the only thing that the player experiences is the house itself. There is nothing outside of the house, and nothing outside of it matters. The purpose of the game is to explore the house to find clues as to what happened to the sister and why no one is in the house. As the player finds objects he starts learning about the lives of the family, like what the father did, who owned the house, and mainly about the love life and teenage years of the younger sister Sam.

The game is designed to capture the culture and daily lives of middle class american families in the 90’s. Each artefact in the house tells us something about the family members. The game is not designed to have the best graphics or to take the player into a fictional universe. It is designed to tell a story, a story about a family that could very likely resemble yours. The gamers walks into the character (Katie) and starts living her life.

The purpose of this game does not revolve around action and violence. The creator focused on a new direction in gaming. The game has the narrative capacity of a novel. The setting is not some distant and fictional world it is an everyday house. The story is about all of us and it tells the truth about realities in our world. The story is told through letters and diary entries of the sister. Writing and artefacts move the game along. With this game The Fullbright Company is saying that our everyday lives can be just as entertaining and playable as fictional worlds. Despite the game being a story that is intended to come out at the end, each player has a unique experience while playing.

The story deals with maturity, love, sexuality, and family live. It also has elements of horror. The game is as vivid and real as games get. It is extremely complete, and guaranties an experience unlike any other in the gaming community.
  37. May 27, 2016
    When I first saw the trailer for Gone Home I was a bit skeptical about the game, it isn’t the typical action game that you will have you playing it for hours. Gone Home is a game about the exploration and discovery of what has happened to your character’s family. It is set in 1995 a year that, in my opinion, is brilliant for the developers to discuss the topics they do in the game. TheWhen I first saw the trailer for Gone Home I was a bit skeptical about the game, it isn’t the typical action game that you will have you playing it for hours. Gone Home is a game about the exploration and discovery of what has happened to your character’s family. It is set in 1995 a year that, in my opinion, is brilliant for the developers to discuss the topics they do in the game. The combination of the exploration of a house and the thematics of the game suits very well since the thematics, which by the way are: the discovery of sexuality, marital issues, and the struggle of a Christian family with a daughter who acts un-christian like, are all about discovering oneself. For example as a player I noticed that the element of discovery in the game with the thematic of the exploration of Samantha’s (the main character’s sister) sexuality went very well together as the player would be forced to go through Sam’s process of finding her true sexuality.

The thematics of the game and the year that it is set in go perfectly, primarily because 1995 isn’t a period of time where a person could be open about their sexuality, in fact as a player I saw many hints at this through the game as Samantha and Lonnie (Samantha’s love interest) get into trouble with other kids at schools that don't accept them. Player will also encounter the disapproval of the friendship between Sam and Lonnie, they disapprove of this because according to them it is a friendship that has affected Sam’s good behavior. After the friendship turn into relationship it is noticeable that Sam’s parents fully disapprove of her love, and further believe it to be a phase. The thematic of discovering sexuality is complemented by that of the Christian family since Sam is a lesbian she is considered un-christian like, this is also supported by the fact that Sam continued to summon spirits which is something many Christians don’t appreciate. The discovery element really immerses the player into what Sam can feel like though her discovery and acceptance of being lesbian. Since the game is set in 1995 the discovery element in the game can take players through what a homosexual person goes through when coming to terms with their sexuality.

Another important theme that I noticed was the marital issues and this one is much more obscure and hard to discover, we again see a relationship between the main gaming element of discovery and the themes that developers wish to explore. With these issues players are led through a series of books, magazines, and catalogues which help many discover the current state of the relationship of the parents.

Having addressed the main themes I would like to shift my focus into the actual game, and not its themes. I will disregard the themes for now since they are not very important to the common gamers. The first thing that I want to make note of is the fact that there is no action or puzzle gameplay (I was frequently scared with the constant sound of thunder during the game, but that is as much action you will get). This might turn lots of gamers off since as a gamer myself I look for action or puzzle or a mix of both in the games I play. It originally presented an issue for me as I got bored with the lack of these two elements in the game, but as I got accustomed to this lack of elements the discovery element of the game overtook me. Soon I wanted to keep on playing the game, it kept me at a constant state of a cliffhanger every time that I stopped playing it. This appealed to me as a person who has played lots of games since the storytelling element was heavily complimented by this. Speaking about storytelling, this game has a fantastic story, which partially complements its design as a non action/puzzle game. Despite having a good story there are lots of negatives to the game, the first thing that I find negative is the lack of action there no interaction with any being with life beings. Both of these lacking elements definitely downgrade this game for me as a game is supposed to make every aspect of the gameplay exciting. Don’t take this as if I am saying that the storyline is bad or anything of the sort, it is just that this game is not ideal in terms of gameplay, story wise it is brilliant.

Gone Home presents an alternative for many gamers to switch up their current formula of action and puzzle games into a more artistic and literary way of gaming. Storywise it is one of the best games I have played, its setting, time, and themes show how developers not only wish for the gamer to have a good time playing, but also to feel intrigued about the characters, discover more, find secrets, and finally comprehend the struggles many people deal with on a daily basis. These issues presented in the game go hand in hand with the main and only gaming element the game has, which is discovery. The game does have negatives though, mainly being that there is a lack of action and interaction through the game.
  38. May 27, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As Steve Gaynor, one of the seniors at the Fullbright Company, was set to bring out the simplicity in all of his games, he decided to create an interactive game for consoles, Gone Home. In this IGF-Award nominated game, you are placed in an unilluminated and unknown setting, in which you are encouraged to explore the empty house, the screeching drawers, and the notes thrown around the house.

Gone Home takes place in 1995 as one of the family members arrives at their house and finds that there is nobody there. It is these moments, where you are still unaccustomed to the house and its setup, where the suspense of what has happened to the others that comes to mind. According to The Guardian, “the period is a time that many players of the game will have lived through and will be immediately familiar with” because of the fact that it is not period far from what we know today. Many people still live in environments like these where letters and books are used more than the internet and tablets.

The main character in the PC game is Katie Greenbriar, who arrives to the house after a year of studying abroad, only to find a note on the front porch from her sister, Samantha, telling her not to go out looking for her. Although Steve states that his intention with this game was not to make it a game with “combat or puzzles in it,” it is easy to state that, from the very first moment when the note is found and you have to find a way into the house, that there are many puzzle pieces to find in order to crack Sam’s story.

The game experience is more of a storytelling, but, as stated by The Guardian, it is done so “through design” rather than through an actual book. The story within the game develops as to find out what happened to Sam.

Now, the storytelling game is not only about exploring the house in general, but it also seeks to explore the relationship and secrets of two sisters and how these secrets can lead to knowing about Katie’s sister, Sam, and her first lover from school, a girl she met after having so much in common. As more notes are found throughout the house and more rooms are unlocked only to find there are stories about Sam and her life feelings in each of them, the players are more engaged to find out why Sam has run away from her own house.

The various clues, as I like to call them, around the house allow the players to engage in the middle-classed family and their personal struggles, as well as in their problems with the other people in the family itself. As Sam and her lover, Lonnie’s, relationship arouses through the playing of Nintendo games, ghost hunting, anarchic behaviors, and secret love letters, one is drawn into a world that Sam has created and imagined for herself and Lonnie to reside in without taking into account the possible consequences that these behaviors have had on her personality and on her piled up family problems.

The release of the Slenderman game, Slender: The Eight Pages, came out in 2012 where one was placed in a single-player world with nothing but a flashlight in search of the eight pages that tell you the story of the horrifying, and totally fictional, creature of the Slenderman. This adventurous and exploring game can relate directly to the mysteries that can be found in Gone Home as Sam and Lonnie have tried to have first hand experiences with the supernatural world and a ghost who is thought to be haunting the house. Whilst investigating the possible outcomes of Sam and her departure, it comes to the player’s attention that a man called Oscar Masan died and that he may be the ghost that resided in the house, which may lead people to think that many of the clues around the house lead to the finding or the encounter of a ghost in the middle of the house.

As stated by The Atlantic, with the rise of one relationship, comes the unknown story of Katie’s sister and how she can relate to Sam’s life. With the development of one story, it seems as if there are many others branching out of that one story. This comes to say as Sam and Lonnie's adventures started out with ghost hunting and, as time passed, it quickly escalated to Sam’s first cigarette, her first sexual experience, and her leaving this childish world behind only to start a life with someone who actually understands her: Lonnie.

With a small team of workers building a PC game there came a great story told. As stated by Steve, “normal people's stories are really interesting if you are able to discover them.” This being said, a normal family’s problems and drawbacks cause for an exploration in a small house in search of the ending of such a metaphoric story wherein each clue and each of the notes left in the house call for another story to be told about the family itself.
  39. May 18, 2016
    No! Just No! Utterly pointless thing that provides no satisfaction. If I want a story, I'll read a book. When I play a game, I expect to actually play something. This is literally the worst so called game I've played in my entire life. And I'm old, so I've seen a lot of crap in my day, but this takes the cake! Saying that it sucks isn't nearly descriptive enough. Just NO!
  40. May 9, 2016
    I actually played this a while ago on steam but quickly got a refund. I didn't write a review until now because playing this game wasted enough of my life. But after playing another shoe horned steaming pile of poo that rhymes with Halters fate: faugnqueirs I created this account to slam home a solid ZERO for another epic fail by Beam Dog. Lies and misdirection led sales of this game.I actually played this a while ago on steam but quickly got a refund. I didn't write a review until now because playing this game wasted enough of my life. But after playing another shoe horned steaming pile of poo that rhymes with Halters fate: faugnqueirs I created this account to slam home a solid ZERO for another epic fail by Beam Dog. Lies and misdirection led sales of this game. stay away. read user reviews. The critics are all bought. Expand
  41. d0x
    Apr 18, 2016
    I have no issue with the walking simulator genre itself provided it tells a good story but this story is awfully generic. Based on professional reviews you would think it was written by Shakespeare. That is not the case.

The "gameplay" itself is nothing more than walking, finding notes and keys and hearing things read to you. If you go super slow and look everywhere... Every possible corner the game might take an hour to finish. There isn't $10 worth of quality story here let alone $20.

The visuals aren't exactly ground breaking either nor is the audio so I'm not quite sure why the game released for $20.

If the game was $5 I'd say go ahead and buy it but any higher and you are wasting your time and money. Luckily with steams refund policy you can return it after completion... If you can manage to suffer long enough to make it that far.

There are ways to make "games" like this interesting. This developer did none of those things. Even that could be completely ignored if the story was compelling or even half way decent but you can find better stories on internet forums that are more artistically satisfying as well as free
    I bought this game on the day it came out based on what was certainly purposefully misleading information from what was at the time an independent gaming site that I had trusted more than any other.

It was strongly insinuated that this was some type of horror title but it was never outright spoken in the name of "spoilers". The way they played and spoke and where they stopped was misleading to the point where I no longer trust a word this " journalist " writes and he's only gotten more deceptive since.

42. Apr 10, 2016
    Gone Home is landmark game. A big step in the realm of interactive storytelling. This game completely captivates you if you let it. There's no real gameplay other than picking things up and walking around the house. The basic premise is that a girl comes home to find her house empty. She must explore the house to find out where everyone went. The atmosphere in this game is absolutelyGone Home is landmark game. A big step in the realm of interactive storytelling. This game completely captivates you if you let it. There's no real gameplay other than picking things up and walking around the house. The basic premise is that a girl comes home to find her house empty. She must explore the house to find out where everyone went. The atmosphere in this game is absolutely amazing. In the game, your character, Katie, hasn't been to this new house yet because she was out on a trip while her family moved in. This game really uses that and it makes you really feel like you are walking in on a strange old house for the first time. You feel the house creak as you walk through the dark halls. The noises of faint footsteps create an amazingly eerie atmosphere that makes you want to turn on all the lights as if you were actually exploring a dark house. It has a surprisingly haunting atmosphere that I wasn't expecting from this game but I absolutely loved it. I caught myself dropping an item to look around a corner to see if there was someone there several times. The creaks and cracks of the old house make it feel so much more real and life like. I Also felt the story was surprisingly captivating and emotional considering that if this were written as teen fiction, I wouldn't have read it. The fact that the story was told in a house that felt so real made it even more emotional. I felt connected to the game and it really felt like I was learning about someone else's life through the belongings left in their abandoned home. The struggles of the teenage life may seem kind of boring and a bit cliche, but this game made them feel so real. There was something about the way the story was presented that made me feel a lot more emotionally attached to it. It had so many small details that made this game seem so real, from recorded VHS tapes of The X-Files, to movie tickets to see Pulp Fiction, to the homework assignments on desks, this game felt alive. The best thing about the story is that the more you explore, the more you learn and the more pieces of the puzzle fit together in the end. While the main story is about your younger sister, there are several other stories about the other family member that can be discovered. Some of which are kind of dark (which I like). Some of these stories are really up to your interpretation based on the clues you've found around the house.

In the end Gone Home is a hauntingly beautiful game that really feels alive. This game wont be for everyone (as evident by the negative reviews) but for fans of great interactive story telling, this game is a must.
  43. Mar 28, 2016
    Very well done game even if its short, since it has so much detail. Hope to see more from the fullbright company in the future, great experience and a journey back to the 90s when i grew up
  44. Mar 15, 2016
    ♥love this game♥ because of the story.Really enjoy the soundtrack who wouldn't! bratmobile,and the messages stand up fight back ! smash patriarchy! great game ! love it ,support it,can't wait for more ♥
    cons: it is a short duration game ,wish it was more!and a bity pricey since its a short game.
    but overall loved it cause of the story plot .

P.S Smash Patriaarchy!! ;)
  45. Feb 28, 2016
    This will be my second review, and I am only posting it because the undeserved Firewatch reviews reminded me of the time that all of the developers' friends in 'journalism' tried to trick users into thinking a 2 hour walking simulator comprised a great game. Gone Home sucks. **** off. Take a look at your user score and realize you didn't make a good game. Pretentious ****
  46. Feb 13, 2016
    When people argue that videogames are not the future of storytelling, I would tell them to look here.

While I concede that shallow yet entertaining video games such as the Call of Duty franchise, or any arena-type MMORPG, do not display the emotional trials of ourselves as human beings in any sort of groundbreakingly intelligent light, they also have their merits. In my opinion there are two types of videogames in most situations: interactive storytelling and pure entertainment. While I enjoy playing games like Black Ops 2, Planetary Annihilation, Castle Crashers, and Gang Beasts, I play those knowing that I won't take anything away, besides the fun of playing with friends or solo. I don't not expect any crushingly deep emotional story or mind breaking moral dilemma. I expect fun, and those games easily meet those expectations. Then there are games like Gone Home. This game, as well as Life is Strange, the upcoming Firewatch, and the Telltale Games series are meant to be played as you would read a book. You are meant to wholeheartedly invest yourself into these characters and plotlines, to empathize and sympathize, to develop one sided relationships with the protagonists and antagonists; wishing the best for the former, and maybe death to the latter. I’m not saying you can't invest yourself into the stories of entertainment orientated games like Tomb Raider, the Last of Us, or Uncharted. Or even Black Ops. If you really relate to and care about Alex Mason, his family and his plight, I can't fault you for that. I’m just saying in my opinion that isn't truly what those games are meant for.

So, moving forward with the theme that games like Gone Home are meant to affect the player as a good novel would, emotionally, we can observe how the story of this game can be judged as such. Despite the rather snoopish feeling of going through a teenage girl's things for a few hours; if you manage to put that strange, uneasy feeling behind you, and put yourself in the shoes of the returning Katie, who has come home to an empty house and needs to investigate this oddity, the game really does come into its own. I, personally, felt all the emotions I would if my sister were to disappear. And the plot points revealed further through Sam's wonderfully voice acted journals each tore at my heartstrings, and occasionally I felt myself rushing to unlock the next entry, to reveal more of the mystery, one that is not scary or action-packed, but is still engaging and intriguing. If it was a novel, I would buy it. As a videogame, I found that the interactivity of the world; drawers, lights, drawers was well done, quite immersive. I found myself turning off lights as I left rooms (especially after finding a scolding note from the parents about the bad habit of leaving them on) and closing doors to respect the virtual privacy of the virtual non-rendered family members. And as for the secrets and simple puzzles like lock combinations and hidden areas, I felt they were fitting, without being forced.

All in all, I enjoyed this game to the very end. I played it all the way through and felt the same emotional craving for more as if my favorite book or movie had just ended, and I have to tear myself away from these beautiful characters to embrace reality again. If you like to connect to characters, to feel with them, and follow a story that you can choose to flesh out completely or leave as bare as you feel suits you; if you enjoy games that make you feel human, that make you think about and connect your life to these digital people you cannot possibly know. If you enjoy good storytelling, buy this game.

But don't expect action.

Edit: I think the price of this game is a bit much. I wasn't aware of the pricing until recently because I got this in a humble bundle. Wait for it to go on sale. It's like paying for the hardcover version of a book when you can wait for the softcover.
    Im not Spoole, a good game doesnt have to work out to be a dollar an hour, but an hour and a half doesn't equal $20 in my opinion, unless its the greatest story ever told, or replayable like a ************.
    It is a great story though. And a good game.
  47. Feb 13, 2016
    The only feelz this game gave me was an inpending feeling of doom that I just wasted $20 on such garbage. All this game is is basically walking from room to room, opening draws and cupboards, and listening to dialogue. Something VERY wrong with the gaming industry if stuff like this is getting perfect scores from game journalisys.
  48. Feb 13, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You're finally home and find out by interacting with pictures/books that your family is absolutely f*****, your father has a psycho for an uncle, your mother has pretty much an affair, your sister is a lesbian and ran away with her lover and that's all.

Saved you $20.
  49. Jan 29, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game gone home it`s about a girl named Kaitlin Greenbriar and her empty house. Kaitlin returns from Europe and found out that no one it`s home. Samanta`s letter hang on the door, and Kaitlin will later find out where her sister and family is. Kaitlin have to find the keyhouse and escape the whole house to find out what just happened to her sister Samantha, her mom Janice and her father Terrence.

Gone Home was a very interesting game at the beginning. Graphics in the game was a bit scary because all the colours was a bit dark. All the sounds in the game was a bit creepy, I can hear when Kaitlin walk, opened the doors and much more. Sound and the graphics combined together very well. That makes the game seems and sounds interesting and a bit scarier than I thought. Gone home was a bit sad because her sister Samantha has no friends except her best friend Loonie, and they ends up to be girlfriend/boyfriend. In the house, there was many secret rooms and secret doors, that was very interesting for me. Personally I mean the length of the game was not long enough and the ending was so badly. I just got opened Samantha's book and the game was just done already. In the kitchen I think I saw a calendar, the parents went one week on holiday to a wedding when Kaitlin finally came home. Samantha was just gone, and i don't know 100% where she is and what had happened to her. So that's the whole reason why the ending of the game was bad. Kaitlins parents should die and be a very scary, dangerous ghost or zombie. In that way, the game should be very god.

I mean that we should play something adventure games like this gone home again, because I like it. Normal english lessons there we have to write much and read in the books it's not fun. It's much funnier and better when we can play games with a partner or alone. I learned how the game world was, I learned some new words in the game and I feel that I worked very well in this way.
  50. Jan 29, 2016
    The game is about a girl name Katie who been in Europe, and when she came home the house was empty. And she had no idea where her parents and sister could have been. She started to look after information on where they are. She found out that her parents had moved to new house and her sister Samantha was gone. And she found a lot of information about her sister that she don’t know before.The game is about a girl name Katie who been in Europe, and when she came home the house was empty. And she had no idea where her parents and sister could have been. She started to look after information on where they are. She found out that her parents had moved to new house and her sister Samantha was gone. And she found a lot of information about her sister that she don’t know before.
    The game is a typical mysterious game, and the house was fully with a lot of secrets. The house was huge, and we had to go everywhere to find out what we was looking for. The graphic was really good, and it was like we are there in real life. The narrator tell in chronological time, but you can find a lot of information that are in past time.
    I think the key message is when you are gone for a while, and when you came back everything could have been changed. You have to accept that not everything was as before, because everything can changes.
  51. Jan 29, 2016
    Gone Home
    Gone home was about a girl named Kaitlin Greenbriar that returns home in June, 1995 to a mansion in Arbor Hill, Oregon. When Kaitlin enters the house she realizes that nobody is home. Kaitlin investigates the house and try to find out where the family is. Her mum Janice, her dad Terry and her sister Samantha (Sam) Greenbriar. The player, Kaitlin, find objects which open other area in the house. She found a lot of letters in drawers and secret rooms. It was most letters about her sister Samantha, and her journal. You have to search for information and keys while you exploring. You have to find a key to the attic.
    Kaitlin didn’t find her family when she came home, and then I think this is the message. That it is not funny to don’t find her family. She didn’t understand what have happened whit them.
    The game was a bit fun, but it was difficult to find out what I search for, but it was easier when I find more and more information. You have to use the map and the information you have found a lot to find secret rooms.
    The photography was very good. The game was more realistic when the photography and pictures was good. It looks like you was in the game. It was also good music and sound effects, for an example thunderstorm. So that was a plus. It was also cassettes that was very fun to play.
    I didn’t like the game so much, because it was very much information to find. It took a lot of time to find all information’s and keys to open the attic. I was very excited for the end, but the end was very bad and boring. In the end I didn’t get a result on what have happened with the family, special Sam. I expected to find a dead body of Sam or something, but the only thing I found was a book. Just one little book. When I opened it, the game was over.
    Because of that I think I will give the game a 4/10.
  52. Jan 29, 2016
    The game is about a girl named Kati who has been in Europa, and when she comes back to USA, her parents and sister are not at home. She goes inside the house and she finds many clues about where everyone is. She learns that her parents have moved to a new house, and her sister has run away to start a new and better life.
    In this short story, the main character tries to find out where her
    In this short story, the main character tries to find out where her family is. In addition, we see a lot of things and clues after Kati’s sister so she is almost the second main character. Her job is to give clues to her sister, in order to tell her where she is. She places a lot of different items and information in many secret rooms and all over the house. Some of those things we find are letters, pictures, music, articles, and many newspapers.
    The game has many journals from Sam that we can listen to in many different places in the house. All these things makes the game more exiting, because without them, the game would be a bit boring.
    The game can be played in chronological sequence, but it is not necessary because we find clues from many time periods. The game jump in time, actually. I think it is better to not to play the game in chronological sequence, because it makes the story more exiting.
    I think the key message is that when you leave your family, a lot of things can be different when you come home again. That means that you cannot accept that all things are the same, because all things changes.
    Personally, I think the game was a bit boring, because the only thing I did was going around in the house to find clues about where the family was. It would have been more exiting if we actually met her parents or sister. On a scale from 1-10, I give 5.
  53. Jan 29, 2016
    Katie returned home after a year in Europe. When she realize that the house is left empty. Neither her little sister, mother nor father is at home in the new house. As Katie wants you to find out what has happened and must lift and examine all kinds of things around the house. Perhaps there is a letter from the mother Greenbriar his job in a drawer, or half of a code to a cupboard underKatie returned home after a year in Europe. When she realize that the house is left empty. Neither her little sister, mother nor father is at home in the new house. As Katie wants you to find out what has happened and must lift and examine all kinds of things around the house. Perhaps there is a letter from the mother Greenbriar his job in a drawer, or half of a code to a cupboard under the pizza box.

The entire plot of gone home takes place in the family Greenbriars home. They have recently moved in, and around the house are evidence of this. Halfway unpacked moving boxes and things that are positioned exactly where it should be located everywhere.

The action was set to 1995. How things were at that time was old, I think then. Cassettes with recordings, Nintendo games and postcards with stamps are some of the things you will recognize. The house is like a time machine where you traveled back to the 90s. Not all the things I found had useful information.
  54. Jan 29, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone home
    The game gone home starts with a girl named Katie. She arrives home after a year of traveling in Europe and finds the house empty of people. Her sister, mother and father have all disappeared. The whole game involves on looking for items in the house and reading information that you find. When I played the game I found diaries that Sam, Katie’s sister left for Katie. The diaries told me a little bit about what happened to everyone, it was sort of like a little story. I also found notes and a lot of other things in the house.
    When you play the game you can sort of play it in the wrong order, but also in the correct order. Everyone starts at the porch when Katie comes home, but when you are in the house and when you are looking for clues, it is not necessarily in the right order you find them. You can for example find Sam’s diaries like that. In the game there was some symbols that I could find. One of them was a drawing of a heart with Sam’s and Lonnie’s initials together. Later I found the same kind of heart on a drawing but it was broken in two. I thought that was really fun for the story.
    One thing I liked about this game was the sounds and the design. I thought the Items you could find in the story was really well made. For example the music player that played the band’s music, the art that showed Katie’s family and other detailed things. The music fitted very well for the story and Sam’s voice was really soothing and relaxing. I also really liked the secret passage ways, they looked really old and they uncovered interesting secrets about the rest of the story.
    I think the key message of this story is that being gay is not easy and it is especially hard if your own family won’t support you. It may be easier now in 2015 for gay people, but this game takes place in the 1994. At that time people were maybe less accepting. Even today a lot of people are against gay people and this story shows what the consequences of not accepting a gay family member can lead to.
    Personally I liked this game very much. It was not exactly the kind of game I had hoped for. I expected a spooky game with ghosts and monsters. Based on the intro with the dark abandoned house, I really thought it was a haunted house. Regardless of that I thought it was fun and I think I learned very much about how it can be for people who does not have it that easy with their parents and themselves. I loved the game and I would give it an 9.
  55. Jan 29, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone Home Game Review

The game is about a 20 year old young lady called Katie Greenbriar. She had been away for about year in Europe, but when she came home her family was not there. So she starts exploring the house to find out what had happened to them. When she was looking for clues she found a lot of notes from her younger sister Samantha or just Sam. On the notes there was all about what had happened to Sam. Katie looks threw the whole house just to find out what had happened to her sister Sam.

The main message of the novel/game “Gone Home” is that it was not very easy to be lesbian or a least think that you are lesbian in 1995. Today in 2016 it is pretty easy and you will not have so many problems if you are gay/bisexual or lesbian. That is because we are a lot more open about how people feel for each other then people were in 1995. So it is mostly about the struggle of being lesbian because of all of the highly christian people and all of the homophobes. That luckily are a lot fewer of today.

The narrative style is chronological because she starts out on the porch when the door is locked. Then you have to find maps and secret passageways to find out what really happened with Sam. There are some things you need to find if you want to complete the game such as a map. After you have found everything you can come to the attic and that is where you find out what happened with Samantha.

There are many symbols such as the Holy Bible you find in the parents room. The Holy Bible is a symbol for that Terrence and Janice were religious. That is maybe why Sam was scared of being a lesbian because of christians are against lesbian and gays and so on. Another symbol is the games in Samantha's room for that it was a long time ago. Not just yesterday.

The gameplay in my opinion was quite bad. It lagged a bit but it could just be the school laptop. They are not the best sadly. The main point is that the game worked. We could play without a problem and the game in general was quite good. There were a few easter eggs that I liked which were cool. That was a big plus.

I would give this game four stars out of five. That is because there were many cool items and easter eggs. The story was very good. I felt that I was surprised nearly every time I found out something new. I was also always curious about what was going to happen. The only bad thing was the gameplay. The graphics were not the best and the actual gameplay was a bit shaky.
  56. Jan 29, 2016

Gone Home

Katie comes home after a year in Europe. Voltage turned quickly into amazement when she realizes that the house stands empty . No little sister, mother or father is at home in the new , semi- stranger their house. What have happened. Where they are? Where they went from the new house? Your mission is to help to find out this. You will find secret passages and documents that will help you to find out of this mystery.

Gone Home is the biggest gameplay I have had. Gone Home was so realistic. In the house you will find cartridges, recording box etc. All this is clearly helping to make the game more realistic. This is the best game I ever have played.

I give it a big six-star rating. You must play it.
  57. Jan 28, 2016
    Game review

The game is about a girl called kaitlin, she’s 19 years old and she’s been in Europe for one year. When she’s gets Home, her family is gone. Where are they? Kaitlin finds notes from her sister, sam. Sam is actually the avatar. Sam has wrote a diary. It's about her life in the new house and her love story. Is sam streight? Is the house safe? This game can be extremely scary
    Game review

This game can be extremely scary if you think that you're in the game. that you're the one who's looking for you're family in a pretty old house. and not anoth with that. the weather outside is awful. It's raining, thunder and lightning. that just make everything much worse.
    The game has a main message. In this case i think the main message in this game is the love story with lonnie and sam. It's not against the law to be gay.
    The way this story is produced on is chronological.
    Actually i dont think its symbols in this game. Not some pretty important ones.
    In this game there is a gay couple. it's a mom, a dad, a sister and a good friend of sam, called lonnie. they are all different, as anyone else in this world. the only thing that many people seem to think its wierd, is that there is a gay couple in this story of a game.
    The main character, kaitlin have a good, but difficult task. Her task is to find out where her family is. While walking around in the house she's finding some notes. The notes is pretty good help in this situation. I like to think that this game is kinda romantic, with a scary background.

So with all this information i just want to tell you my review of this game. I think this game was kinda boring, but also kinda exciting and cool. I had fun while playing this. I just think that there's better games in the world. I seem to think that the story was hard to get, but when i understood, the story was pretty interesting.
  58. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is about a girl named Kaitlin Greenbriar. She is 19 years old, and has been traveling around in Europe for one year. Her family has been moving to a new house. But when she is coming home a night in 1994 no one is home. Her sister Sam has left behind a note… “Don’t come and look after me”. Sam is the principal, and Kaitlin is looking around in the house for answers. When you are going around in the house as Kaitlin Greenbriar you are getting information about her family and the house. The game is about to understand the story and try to figure out where Sam is. The surroundings are dark and gloomy.

The main message is that it wasn't easy to be lesbian in 1994. Not everyone accept being gay.

It is different sounds in the game. You can often hear that Sam is talking about things and giving information when Kaitlin for instance are taking up an object. It is thunder and rain in the background. It was a bit hard to steer Kaitlin especially when you not are a gamer. It was difficult to walk and steer the direction.

I think that the game is a bit boring. You are just walking around in the house and are doing the same thing over and over again. It was funny in the beginning , but i think we played the game to long. It was a very good story in the game, but i wanted the game to be a jump scare game.

My experience of the game was that it was a bit hard to concentrate when you did not sit in a dark room alone with headphones. I think that i would have another experience then. I have splitted meanings about the game. It was a very good story, but it was a bit boring to. It should be some task in the game. The good thing with the game was that it was chronological.
  59. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone Home

You’re the 19 years old girl named Katie Greenbriar that comes home to a “new” house after being in Europe for a year. The year is 1995 and you’re family have moved to your dead uncles villa. When u come home to your “new” house the clock is 1:15 AM and there is a storm outside. When I come inside the house you discover that all the lights are off and nobody is home. While you’re progressing around the house looking for clues about where your family is gone and you find more and more weird notes from you’re Sister Sam Greenbriar.

I think the key message is that you should be yourself and don’t act different for other people. A lot of people hide their self just so other people think they are “cool”. I think it’s wrong because everyone is different and there is nothing that u can call weird or unusual.
    Sam is lesbian but haven’t told it because she thinks her family would get mad at here because they were Christians.

The game itself is chronologic but the notes are from different times so you need to put them in the right order to fully understand the story line. I’m pretty sure the whole game happens in one night but the notes give you years of information and you learn a lot more about your family trough the notes and diary entrances.
    The game got a lot of different symbols about the different thoughts and ways of life. You can find a skull in the first room that is from the day of the dead which is a Spanish celebration day for the dead. You can find a Demon ritual under the stairs and you can find a bible.

The game talks a lot about human relationships. In the Diary entries you learn a lot about the family, and Sam’s struggles with “fitting” in. In the diary’s Sam talks about how she doesn’t like the other girls and how she’s only been a friend with a boy that was living to close to her before the family moved.

The main characters is Sam but you’re playing as Katie which is kind of strange as not many games does that kind of style. Some of the Other characters are Terrence Greenbriar, Janice Greenbriar and Lonnie.

The game is romantic/sad. The feeling of the game is pretty sad and reminds me of a Horror game when u walk around in the dark house and u hear the Rain hit the house walls and the thunder strikes outside. The music is slow and helps the sad feel of the game flow.

The gameplay is pretty good because of the story and diary entries. The game got no Action because of the simple reason of being a story telling game and not a shooting game. The game functions pretty well but I had a hard time finding the hitboxes of some of the smaller objects and doors. Some of the objects that could move seemed a bit buged since if u closed spammed open and close at a door and walking into it u could get inside the door or just walk through the door.

I personally really liked the game and it was well made. What Fulbright managed to do with the game is incredible and I liked the soundtrack, diaries and story.

I rate the game 7/10
  60. Jan 28, 2016
    The year is 1995, Katie Greenbriar is 19 years old and she’s home from Europe. She arrives at the house in Portland at 1.15 AM and the rain is pouring. On the door it is a letter from Sam. As she comes home she finds out that nobody is home. Katie walks around the messy house on search for her family she steps over some tracks and letters about her sister Sam. She finds out things nobodyThe year is 1995, Katie Greenbriar is 19 years old and she’s home from Europe. She arrives at the house in Portland at 1.15 AM and the rain is pouring. On the door it is a letter from Sam. As she comes home she finds out that nobody is home. Katie walks around the messy house on search for her family she steps over some tracks and letters about her sister Sam. She finds out things nobody did know about Sam and where she might be. As she study the house more and more she also finds tracks of her family.
    I think the games key message to this game is to be who you are. You should trust yourself and you should not care about what anyone thinks about your but have your own opinions. It’s a lot to learn about this fantastic story.
    I did not see that many symbols in this game, but I did see the Bible which means they are Christians. Later in this game we can see that the parents are hardcore Christians.
    I think it is a weird contact between the people in this game. At the start of the game you will get so much information of some of them. It’s just weird. When you’re getting closer to the end you will understand more..
    The gameplay is good. The setting is easy to understand, and the music is great, so are the sound effects as well. It is best to play with a headset because you will get a total different experience of the game. In my opinion I think the graphics were **** Some places the shadows would be rough and blocky. I could easily glitch trough doors and they were some illogical placements of some of Sam’s letters. But the story in this game is good.
    My judgment of the game is that it is a good game. The story was fantastic but the graphics was the main reason why I did not like it. At the start I absolutely thought that this was an awful bad game, but later when I began to understand more I could not stop playing it.
  61. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone Home - Game Review
    The game Gone Home is a short story that tells us about to sisters and their parents. This game brings us back to 1995. The biggest sister Katie has been away for one year in Europe. When she was gone, her family had moved to their dead uncle’s house, which is called the psycho house.

When she comes home from Europe, the house is dark and the family is gone. The wind is blowing and you can hear the rain pouring down. She is coming home to a note on the door. The house is messy and empty, its obvious that something strange has happened there.

The game is a little scary with all the sounds, the thunder and the rain, and its not better with a dark house rather.

Gone home gives you the story of the people who live there. The story is beautiful, and when you play, you are getting to know the Greenbriar family better. You are playing the character Kaitlin Greenbriar, the oldest sister. The house is big and you have to go around in the house to find out what has happened. There is a lot of rooms to discover, and to some of the doors, you must find the keys. There is much to discover.

The game is a little difficult to understand sometimes, but it is a very interesting story. The story focuses on Sam, and on your way you will hear some journals that Sam has written to Katie. The story is build up from the notes and journals form Sam. Its about her life, and her love who is difficult. She is a lesbian and her parents aren’t so happy with that. But where is everyone? That are exactly what the players are going to find out when they play.
  62. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone home – Game Review

The game is from the 90`s, and they lived in an old house. The game handled about a girl named Kathy Greenbrier and mostly of her sister Samantha, Kathy moved away from her family and friends to study. When she came home her parents and sister was disappeared, and she couldn’t find them. She looked around in the house after any clues that could help her finding them. Or finding out where they were. Kathy found many letters and audio files that the sister (Sam) had left in the house. And that was very helpful for Kathy. In the end Kathy understood everything. Why they left and everything. But she cannot find them. Everything is about the sister Samantha, why she left and which file she has.
    The house in the game was very big and so pretty. But it was kind of old, from the 90`s or something. The house had many rooms, and almost every bedroom had a bathroom. Many of the rooms wasn’t in use, but full of boxes. It looked very real because of all the things everywhere. For example in the bathroom it was toilet paper on the floor.
    The game's key message is that it’s complicated to be lesbian, and the entire struggle behind it. Sam didn’t have it very easy; it was all though for her. But she was strong and made it okay and she also kind of admitted it for the sister and the rest of the family. She was scared about her feelings for Lonnie. And she didn’t know that gay is ok. But she may show us that the solution is not to run away and hide. That might be the message number two.
    Sam`s diary book was kind of a symbol to her sister. Symbol of her love, her love to Kathy. She had written in it almost every day, just to Kathy. She was confirming that she didn’t left because she wanted, but because she didn’t have a choice. Sam wanted to be home when Kathy arrived, but she couldn’t. She's explaining this in her diary book. She’s explaining that her love to Kathy is so big, bigger than she thought.
    The hardest or the toughest thing in the game most have been to open the closet (blue) in Samantha’s room, there we needed a code. In the beginning we couldn’t find the code, it was hidden. But finally we managed and fulgurated what the code was, and realized that it wasn’t so hard that we thought. It was a challenge!

The music in the game was good, and placed at the rights times. It was helping the game to be more exciting, special and funny. Some places the music scared me, just because of the music.
    Telling was chronological or jumping forwards in time? It was kind of both. But most chronological, sometimes they jumped forwards in time. In addition it was ending with the end.
    The game was funny to play, but sometimes it was kind of boring. It was funny to go around in the house and find clues. What I liked with the game was that it was kind of realistic. Realistic stuff was everywhere in the house, and it felt realistic to play. Many of the doors were closed. So we had to find a key or another way into the room. Some places in the house it was secret “doors” on the walls, and it was kind of hard to get in. But it was fun to think an experimenter around in the house. Some of the letters was very much text, very much to read. So that was in a way boring. All in all I was enjoying playing it, my judgment of 1-10 are 7-10.
  63. Jan 28, 2016
    Game review – Gone Home

Gone Home is a game where you as the player takes place in Kaitlin Greenbriar, the first-person view. It’s June 6th 1995 and Kaitlin just got home from a year in Europe. In the year that has past her family has moved to a new house, but her sister wasn’t really excited about it. When Kaitlin arrives to the new house, it is empty. A storm is coming closer, and
    Game review – Gone Home

It’s June 6th 1995 and Kaitlin just got home from a year in Europe. In the year that has past her family has moved to a new house, but her sister wasn’t really excited about it. When Kaitlin arrives to the new house, it is empty. A storm is coming closer, and Kaitlin needs to find the house key which is hidden in the porch and comes in to a messy foyer. The house is gigantic, and there is a lot of doors and rooms to discover. The story is build up from the journals and notes from Sam, which Kaitlin finds around in the house.

The game has a spooky touch caused by the lightning which is a little dark, you can hear the storm outside and there are somethings which is kind of strange and unexpected.

I think this game was pretty fun, since it’s a short story made in to a game, you also get to hear the story. I think the story and the game graphics is pretty good too.
    In the beginning I thought it was kind of boring, but as soon as I really got in to it and understood what I was supposed to do, it became really fun and exciting
    The ability to move is good, but there is some adjustments in how you normally use a keyboard and touchpad if you don’t play often. But after a little while you get used to it and the game will appear even more fun and interesting, at least it did for me.
  64. Jan 28, 2016
    It’s a story about a girl named Katie. This girl lives in a haunted house, she don’t know where why her family is gone.
    It’s June 6th 1995 and Katie just got home from a year in Europe. In this year have the family has moved out to a new house, but her sister wasn’t very interested to move in to this house. When Katie arrives to the house, it was very empty. Nobody was there. Katie is standing outside of the door with no keys, trying to figure out where the keys are. While you are playing this game you will maybe find out that there may be some lesbian girls in this story. You are going to find a lot of cassettes where Katie are talking about how it goes and other things in her life. Where she has been and what she has done in the last couple of days. There are many different rooms you may have to check out, where you will find other posted notes. You will find many
    The gameplay is kind of boring and the graphics could be better, but the graphics have nothing about the game to. But if you pay attention to the store it will be very interesting. At the start when you are outside the door you will find some posted notes, where you will get some help where you are going to.
  65. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After attending in Europe for a year Katie comes home to the states. In this timeline her family has moved to a new house. When she comes home she finds an empty note on the front door and an empty house. When you as the person in control enter the house the mood is dark and with the storm outside it gets kind of scary, you almost get the feeling that something is going to jump at you from around any corner.
    The gameplay is kind of boring and the graphics could be better. But the story itself is interesting with many twists and unexpected turns. There are turns about the main character Sam and her uncle Oscar.
    The function of the main character Sam is to make you want to play the game more, because she records herself, talking about her day and general stuff going on in her life. These cassettes you are going to find throughout the house and these are the “connectors” for the story to make sense.
    The whole game is played in 1st person, the music is kind of scary and sad, there are no cut scenes or “quick time events” in the game.
    My personal experience with the game wasn’t the best. I didn’t like the game because I thought the gameplay was a bit slow. I would give the game a 5/10.
  66. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is about this girl who just came home from a year in Europe. Her family recently moved to her dead uncle’s house. She arrives at the new house in the middle of the night. You could hear the rain pouring down. The door is locked. On the door there is a note, written by her sister Sam. Where is everyone?

There’s two parallel stories in the game. One is about her dead uncle, the other one is about love. The one with her dead uncle I assume was in the game to make it seem scary. However the main story is about difficult love. It gives the game some romance.
    It’s quite a realistic way of telling a story I think. Everything is truly well founded.

There are several things you need to find to manage to get forward in the game. You can’t finish it without finding a lot of different notes and codes. This makes the game chronological.

In almost every room in the house you can find a holy bible. If you're really good, you would notice this. The game uses this book to show her family's Christian beliefs. Sam writes a lot in her diary about this girl named Lonnie. Later in the game she opens up and tells that she's gay. You can imagine how her parents responded to this. This made the game a bit dramatic.

The graphics were surprisingly good. As I said earlier they told the story in a realistic way, the display was three-dimensional which made the game look realistic as well. Despite of this, there were many things annoying me throughout the game. One of them was the darkness. Everywhere you went it was dark. It felt like I spent more time turning on the lights then actually playing the game. I also had some trouble to stand up after going low. This may have been the computer though. The music was okey. I didn't notice it that much really.
    What I did like with the game was the diary. As you walked through the house a girl suddenly started talking. This was Sam telling her diary. It gives you major clues. I needed these very badly. The best part was the end. It was unexpected and nice.

To be honest, I don't like gaming at all. This of course had a huge impact on my experience. I liked the scary part with this game. Sam and her love story was not that great, but ok I think. I give it a 7 out of 10.
  67. Jan 28, 2016
    Gone Home – game review
    In the game Gone Home you play a 19 years old girl, named Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn has been on a trip to Europe for 1 year. When she arrived back home at 1:15 am, the first thing that she sees is a note in the door. The note I from her sister Sam. The note says that Sam has left and she don’t want anybody to look after her.
    In the game you get to go into your dead crazy
    Gone Home – game review
    In the game you get to go into your dead crazy uncle’s house and explore. It is many secrets in the house, and secret passages. In the game you find many journals that belongs to Sam. When you listen to them, you can hear about different stories that Sam Is telling, and you get to know her more.
    When you first start the game you might think it is a scary game, but after you have finished the game you realize that it is a nice story. The story has many small details but most of all it is about love.
    The graphics in the game was not bad, but it was not that good either. I think that the sounds was a bit creepy, but it was also fun. The game jumps a little in time, and it was hard to understand everything in the beginning. But after a while playing it, I began to understand more.
    I liked the game, it was funny to explore in the house, and find out Sam’s story. I will rate the game 7 out of 10.
  68. Jan 28, 2016

Game review:

Gone home was a game about a girl called Kaitlyn Greenbriar. She had been to Europe for a year. While she had been gone, her family had moved to this new house. But when she came home, there was no one there. The rain was pouring down and the wind was blowing.

I think the main message in this game was to tell a short story about Kaitlyn’s little sister Samantha Greenbriar, and to show how to tell a short story in a game setting.

The story is told in a chronologic order. With letters from Samantha every few months while Kaitlyn had been gone.

It was quite a few important relationships in this game. Of course one of the relationships in the game was the family, but it wasn’t really the most important relationship in the game. In my opinion Samantha’s relationship to Loney was by far the most important in the game. But it also looked like Samantha had a pretty special relationship to her bigger sister Kaitlyn because of all the letters she wrote for her.

Even though Kaitlyn is the controllable character in this game, I think that Samantha was the main person in this story. The reason I think Samantha was the main person is because the story told in this game was mainly about Samantha, and the whole point of the game was to find out about the story.

I think the tone and setting in this game was quite creepy. With the empty house, the weather, all of the dark rooms in the house, and that the game was set in night-time made the whole setting both creepy and pretty mysterious.

The gameplay in this game was at least in my opinion a bit boring. Without any action really happening and you just going around in a dark house all by yourself wasn’t the most exciting I’ve ever played. And I don’t know if it was the game or if it was just the computer I was playing on, but the frames per second rate seemed really slow and because of that the game had a lot of lag. And by doing nothing else than looking for letters and reading them made the game really bad in my opinion. But even though I wasn’t a fan of this kind of game, I could really see why some people would like it.

If I were to rate this game I unfortunately wouldn’t be able to give it more than a 4/10.
  69. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game review: Gone home
    In this game, you play a girl named Kaitlyn Greenbriar. After a year traveling around Europe you come home to your family's new house. The date is June 7, 1994 and the clock is 01:15 am. The rain is pouring down, it is lightning and thundering. But something is of. Your sister isn't home but she has left you notes and journals all around the house. Your next mission is to go around in the house and find out what has happened and where your sister. But you should know, the story does not end how you think it will end in the start. You will discover a moving story about not being accepted for who you are and about what some will do for true love.

I think the games main message is that even your closest family may not know who you really are, and when they find out they may not understand. That even though you think you know your parents, they may be keeping a lot of secrets from you. And those secrets will come out one day. If you want to know them or not.
    If the story is chronologic or not depends on how you go forward. In the end you will get the whole story but at first it won’t really make sense unless you listen to all the journals in the correct order. So it kind jumps in time but that will even out.
    Gone home has an environment that really helps on the excitement of the game. The lightning, thunder and the rain makes a perfect environment for a game like this. When they also have added the creaking in the house and the sound of doors opening and closing it just makes it even creepier.
    In addition to the moving story about Kaitlyn’s sister Sam, they bring up important political meanings. Since Sam starts dating her friend Lonnie we hear about how Sam at first tries not to bring it up. But after a while she tells her parents. Sam thought that they would get angry at her but that they would have accepted it after a while. But she got really angry. Because her parents didn’t just get angry, they started saying that it was just a phase and that she and Lonnie was just good friends. Her parents wouldn’t let Sam and Lonnie hang out as much as they used to and they wouldn’t accept the fact that Sam was a lesbian.
  70. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone home is a short story game about Sam Greenbriar, Kaitlin
    Greenbriar’s sister. Kaitlin is the person everyone who play the game are. Kaitlin is a 19 year old girl, who has been traveling around in Europe for a year. When she comes home, the year is 1995. In the past year her family has moved to a new house, and when she comes home again, she comes home to an empty and messy house. She starts walking around in the house, and finds a lot of clues, about what happened and where the sister is. The game is about finding out where her sister Sam is, and what has happened the last year. The main message is about Sam and Lonnie’s “forbidden” love for each other. It jumps a little bit in time, it just depends on which journal you find. The game is a short story with a touch of love in it, because as Kaitlin walks around in the house, she finds journals her sister left to her. In the journals you hear about Sam and Lonnie’s love, how it was for Sam to move and start on a new school, and how her life is after she moved here.
    The game is build up nice. The house is this big mansion, with a cabin look, (the walls is made of a dark three type, and old furniture, or not as modern. But I wouldn’t say it was that old, because this game takes place in 1995. The game where bugging a little bit, but that was the pc we used I think.
    I thought this game where fun to play, and I recommend it to both boys and girls in an age of 13 and up. The reason I will say from 13 years old is because it was a little bit hard to understand what the meaning of the game was at first.
    I will give the game from a scale from 1 to 10 a 7.
  71. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This short story is about this girl, Kaitlyn, which comes home from her trip to Europe. When she comes home she finds that her whole family is gone. In the story you (Kaitlyn) are going to look for traces after your family and where they might can be.
    I think the main message in the game is that your family can be more unknown to you than you think. You can think that you know them very well, when they actually keeps a lot of secrets from you. It can be hard to live in a house that everyone thinks is “the crazy house” because of the earlier history from the house. The very main message is actually about the love story between Samantha and Lonnie.
    The way this short story goes is very chronologic, at least how I understood it, and I think that was great. The game was very exciting and I liked it when it got a little scary but still exciting. It was kind of hard to move the avatar because you couldn’t walk and change direction in the same time, you had to take brakes to change directions. It also were kind of hard to find the important traces so it took a while to really understand what the short story were about. I don’t think they used any symbols, at least I didn’t find any.
    In the game you’ll hear about your sister/Samantha, mom, dad, Lonnie and your uncle. There are a lot of different relations between all of them. Especially mom, dad, Samantha and Lonnie. The main character in the game is not actually in the game, but the game is about to find out where Sam, the main character is. I think the game is supposed to be romantic, and exciting in the same time, because it is a love story with some twists.
    If you are going to take screen-prints in the game I think that is kind of difficult because if you just do it as normal, you`ll get a picture of your home screen. The gameplay was great, but the graphic was bad sometimes, it had great sound effects which made the game more exciting.
    My experiences with the game was that the game was exciting, but I think you were way too free to go where you wanted, so you could end the game before you ever got a thing from the actual short story. But if you wanted to get the whole short story it could`ve taken hours before you`d end it.
  72. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone home
    The game is about Kaitlin Greenbriar whose just arriving home from her trip to Europe?
    The main message of the game I think is that people can be quite different on the inside than it seems.
    The game is straight forwards but it jumps a bit back and forwards.
    Some symbols are used in the game but as far as I could see they did not have any particular meaning.
    Relationships that are mentioned are lovers and family relations.
    The main character is Kaitlin Greenbriar who is discovering her own past.
    The game enviorment is pretty dark not only because how the house progresses but also due to the feeling that something terrible has taken place in that house.
    The mood of the game is quite dark or psychopathic.
    The creators did a good job in making this game they did an amazing job with the music and imagery.
    The gameplay is a little bit to slow and sometimes the framerate dropped quite a bit (but that might just be the computer I played it on.
    I personaly think this game is a great idea for use in for example school, although it was kind of boring but still I enjoied the game a whole lot.
  73. Jan 28, 2016
    Gone Home

The game. Kaitlin came home from a trip in Europe, her family had moved to a new house when Kaitlin where in Europa. When Kaitlin came to the new house, the house was empty. She started looking after her sister, and she found letters and tapes all around the house about her sister and her parents. She found out much information about her sister, and then she walk down to the

The game.
    Kaitlin came home from a trip in Europe, her family had moved to a new house when Kaitlin where in Europa. When Kaitlin came to the new house, the house was empty. She started looking after her sister, and she found letters and tapes all around the house about her sister and her parents. She found out much information about her sister, and then she walk down to the basement...
    The game is very realistic and its look like you’re walking in to a real house but you’re doing it on an computer. The house looks like all other houses, or maybe it’s a bit old. The toilet looks realistic and there is magazine’s in the house that looks like It’s taken from the real life. The graphic could be better, but the rest I think was very good.
    The narrative style is chronological but you find much information from the old time. There are some letters and tapes that was made when the moved, and some letters that was made a long time ago.
    The main character function is that she’s coming home from a trip to Europe, when she came home there where no one home. Then she starts looking after her sister. There are one main character and that is Kaitlin , but there is also one more person that is very important in this game. You learn about some people when your playing the game. Kaitlin, Sam, her mother, her uncle, her father and some others.
    My experience after I played this game is that if you have been on a trip to somewhere, and your coming home, everything has maybe changed. It was not boring playing this game, and the game is has span lift in it.
    In last I would give this game and 7 out of 10 as an rating
  74. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would not recommend to spend 20$ on this game. It is no gamplay in this game, the story is flat, and the ending is horrible. So i would not buy this to play in my spare time.
    Now, the game is original. It is different, and creative. To be honest, i am not a fan of story-games at all. I mostly enjoy more action packed games. So i thought this was a bad game.

You play as a young woman named Katilin Greenbriar. You are the oldest sister of the family. Kate has just arrived home after spending one year in Europe. The family has moved to a new home during your time in Europe, and when you arrive to the mansion, you find a empty house. Both the parents, and the younger sister is gone. During the time you play, you can pick up examine objects. Some of these objects triggers journals. The journals is the younger sister, Sam, talking about the year without her sister, the new school, friends and problems.
    If you pay attention to these journals, you will find out why Sam left almost instanly. So the storytelling, which i consider a major key to success in a story-game, was very bad aswell. And i was also frusterated by all the secret alleys, near the end of the game i became irritated and just wanted to smack the laptop down and go play some football/soccer.
    The graphics is not a important part of the game, but i will note that it was like Minecraft. And the FPS (Frames per Second) was also bad, prolly as low as the rating i gave the game.
    And in the end, after all the secret alleys, the searching for items to get to that attic, you of course come to the ending. Which is bad, very dissapointing indeed. You don’t even find out what happened to the parents. I have heard that they went on a vacation, but who does that when they’re daughter which they have not seen in a year, finally returns to the new mansion. Very dissapointing indeed.
  75. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GONE HOME Review
    Story
    (The game is around 1995) the game is about Kaitlin Greenbear who came home to her parents but they have left and she is trying to find out why and where the family have moved, you walk around and explore a big mansion while discovering the secrets that lies within the house.
    The Message of the Game
    I think the games message is that they try to show you how it is to get home to an empty house without knowing where your family has left to without telling you.
    Symbols
    There`s symbols and books in the house that shows signs of exorcism in the house.
    Sound, graphics
    The background sounds gets very repetitive and boring, it`s supposed to make the house creepy but after a while it get very boring. The game has decent graphic cannot complain about that. But the game has performance issues that makes the game more disappointing
    Actual Review
    I think the game was actually boring because all you do is to explore and investigate the house until you finish it, and there is not as entertaining as you would think. You play for a couple minutes, decide the game is bad and quit playing it and waste of time and money but you decide yourself I am just a person who did not like the game. I give it 3/10
  76. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game takes place in the 90’s and it is all about Samantha Greenbriar. Her sister, Kaitlin, comes home from Europe and she finds all these diaries that Sam left for her to find. Before Kaitlin left they were living in another house, and she comes back to a new but empty house. Kaitlin has to find all the diaries, the hidden entries and all of the clues Sam left for her. The diaries are supposed to tell Kaitlin where Sam is and why she’s there. In the end Sam turns out to be gay, but her parents do not allow it. She ran away with her girlfriend, Lonnie, and that is what she want her sister to know. Sam does not tell her sister where their parents are. Maybe she doesn’t know where they are or she’s still hiding something from her.

The way you play the game is by using the mouse and the arrows on the keypad. The player watches everything from Katie’s perspective. Once you get it, it’s pretty easy to play.

I think that the game are supposed to tell us that “gay’s okay”! There’s nothing wrong with admitting that you’re different. Certainly, Sam did not have it very easy. She had a lot of difficulties. It must be so hard admitting to herself and her parents that she’s a lesbian. And her parents not approving, certainly doesn't make it any easier.

The story isn’t just chronological. It starts when Kaitlin gets home from Europe, and then it goes on until we finally end up at Sam’s dark room. We also get to hear about things that has happened in the past. In that way it is also jumping in time.

Sam’s diaries is kind of a symbol of her love for her sister. By leaving them for Kaitlin she shows her that she loves her and want her to know what happened.

This is certainly a realistic story. This could happen. All the hidden doors and the cellar may not be as realistic, but the actual story could defiantly take place in real life. The story has a romantic view to it as well. Sam and Lonnie’s love story is both touching and shocking. What Sam had to do to be with her beloved was extreme. Run away from her home town, and who knows what or if she even did do something to her parents. By putting music and voices to it made the actual playing realistic.

What I liked best about Gone Home was that it actually had a realistic story to tell. The only thing I didn’t like about the game was the ending. I was expecting a little bit more of a brutal ending. I was kind of disappointed when we finally got into Sam’s dark room and the thing that was waiting for us was just another journal. I really liked the journals and that it was Sam’s voice who read them to us. It made it all little bit more realistic. On the other hand, I would prefer more action. I’m still wondering where their parents are. I guess we’ll never know, but I wish the game told us that. The message of the game was great and defiantly important. Especially among young people these days, who may be struggling with this kind of stuff. The producer of Gone Home has defiantly managed to create a great game. He made a fun game and at the same time sent out a very important message. To sum up I’d say I really liked Gone Home.
  77. Jan 28, 2016
    The game is about a girl called Kaitlin that went to Europe in June. Her family lived in a big house, but when she came back a rainy and stormful night she found the house empty. No one was inside the house just the things the family owned. She investigates the house to find out where her family is. She found a lot of old letters and signs that helped her to find out where her family was.The game is about a girl called Kaitlin that went to Europe in June. Her family lived in a big house, but when she came back a rainy and stormful night she found the house empty. No one was inside the house just the things the family owned. She investigates the house to find out where her family is. She found a lot of old letters and signs that helped her to find out where her family was. She also found a lot of secrets about her sister Samantha. While gaming you have to pick up and search for things that will help you to find information and secret rooms. You’ll finish the game when you come in to the attic by using a key you’ll find while searching in the house.
    It’s bad for a family to leave the house without all the family members knowing it. I think the message is that Kaitlin’s family had a lot of problems and secrets that Kaitlin didn’t know before she visited the house after they disappeared.
    It was a bit difficult to understand the game in the beginning, but it got easier. I think that it’s easy for gamers to understand the game from the beginning. The story is told in the past, but you’re playing is like it’s happening now.
    It’s used signs and symbols, like letters, maps, religious symbols and other information you find to lead you. By reading/finding the signs, you can get info about the family, some secret things and where you have to go and so.
    Its pictures on walls, and a lot of other places. By looking at the pictures, you can find out how the family members looks like, and their names. While playing I heard sound tracks, where Kaitlin was talking about things. While searching in the house, you’ll see cassette players. If you find a CD, you can put it in the cassette player for some music.
    I didn’t like the game, because it was a lot to find, and a lot of places to go to. I wish the end was a lot better. I was very excited for the ending, I was expecting something terrible in the attic, but guess what. After playing the whole game, and finally finding the key to the attic, nothing happened. When I walked around in the attic, I saw a book on a table. When I opened the book, the game ended. I thought that the game ended with finding Sam. And because of that, I’ll give it 5/10.
  78. Jan 28, 2016
    Gone Home is a short story game about a girl named Katie Greenbriar coming home from school in Europe to an empty house. She finds notes and clues throughout the game to find out what happened to her family and why they moved.

The game is built in a way that makes you have to think and remember stuff like codes, clues and names etc. You really have to be on top and watch out for notes and clues wherever you go in the house.

There are some symbols throughout the game that plays a huge role in not only the story itself but also for the feeling of the game. There is placed a lot of Bibles around the house to show that the family is a pretty religious family. In a place in the map there is also pentagram to give that grimey/dark feeling to the game.

There are a lot of people in the story but its only 3 people that really stand out from the rest, these can be called major characters in the story. These are Kaitlin Greenbriar (Katie), Samantha Greenbriar (Sam) and Yolanda DeSoto (Lonnie). Katie is Sam's big sister. Sam thinks that Katie is very cool but mentions several times that she misses her. Lonnie is Sam's friend and later turns into something more.

The setting of the game is a dark romantic type setting. I think that the dark/grimey setting comes from the uncle which lived in the house before the family. The uncle, Oscar Masan, died in 1993 and willed the house to the Greenbriar family. Oscar was looked on as a creep by the town. Oscar Masan left many things in the house which is both creepy and dark. He left and pentagram and a note about him that he might have eaten another human being, just to mention a few.
    I think the romantic tone of the games comes from the relationship Sam and Lonnie had/have together.

The music plays a huge role in the game. It helps to make some clips in the game very creepy and scary. Every time you found a vital thing in the story, you will get a piece of Sam's journal that will start to play automatic. In these journals you get to hear everything from Sam having no friends to Sam falling in love with her friend. I personally think that the journals play a huge part in the game.

The gameplay in the game is that it is an easy game to get "used to". It is not a very long game, I wished that it would be even longer. But you always have to be alert on finding clues, notes, codes and keys.
    My experience with the game is that it wasn’t very long and that it was unclear sometimes. There were a few characters that they could have explained more, like Oscar Masan. I also think that they could have stretched the storyline a little more. It felt very short and they could have made it longer in my opinion.
    All in all I think this wasn’t a great game. For a game that costs $20 it wouldn’t be worth it, in my opinion. On steam most of the reviews doesn’t recommend it, and I wouldn’t nether. I would rate this game 4/10. I give the game this rating because even through it was very short I still enjoyed some of it. It would of course be a lot better if it was longer. I think that the storyline of the game wasn’t that interesting and exciting. It wasn’t very variety in the game and the storyline was pretty much the same throughout the game. You found out a few things throughout the game. But all in all I wouldn’t recommend this game.
  79. Jan 28, 2016
    Gone Home game review

This is a short novel game. The game is about a girl named Katie that comes home after traveling and finds her family missing. She can’ find her parent or her sister Sam. She then decides to investigate the house and finds the shocking truth about her sister. The way the story is told is chronologic because you start from the beginning. You do see back on old
    Gone Home game review

The way the story is told is chronologic because you start from the beginning. You do see back on old memories sometimes, and that is very good.
    The main character in the game is Katie. It is good that it is the sister who is there but actually it doesn’t matter who is the main character. I mean anyone could have been the main character. A friend, an uncle, maybe the mailman or some stalker. Just someone is in the house and investigates
    I think the area where the house is perfect. It is in no man’s land, it’s an old house and it’s raining. I mean I couldn’t be better because you wouldn’t have the same excitement if it’s in the city or it’s sunny or something like that.
    I don’t play so many games but I do believe that the graphics could have been better.
    This game is in the mystery genre because you would find any of those things in the game in a comedy or a romance.
    My experiences with the game was that it was really exciting. I was bored sometimes but it was fun.
    I give this game 6/10
  80. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story in the game were mostly about Kathie Greenbriar’s little sister, Samantha Greenbriar and the story about what happened before and after they moved. Because they had moved without saying it to Kathie. So we`re just going around in the house and found different clues about where and why they are gone.
    I think that the game’s main theme where that some peoples didn’t care about the rules that were in the 90ths, and continued to be gay or lesbian because they were in love, and that love do no not have any rules and ending.
    The music in this game is meant to make the gameplay a bit more exciting. Like it can come sounds of thunder, and sounds of squeaking.
    The game has a romantic, scary theme. It were scary because you want find some weird things in this game like a sacrifice board and it were romantic because Samantha and her friend were in love and they did not care about the rules and how the gay peoples were treated so bad in the early 90ths.. IT were romantic because and you listens to Sam’s journals you will find out.
    The symbols in the game gave us a clue about how this family is and how they are.
    In the start of this game I were excited about this game, and a little later in the game it began to get boring, because you just walked around with no clue about what you should do. But closer to the end it started to get intense, when you found every hidden things, and secret objects like keys and maps.
    Personally i didn't like the game, because i don't like this type of game's.
    I would rate this game a 3/10, because it was a bit boring and they could have added a few more secret objects that was a bit more easier to find. And they could have made the game a bit more scary. Like with some things they thought were real in the 50ths to the 90ths, like ghosts.
  81. Jan 28, 2016
    Game Review:

Gone Home is a very good game, and I think that every school should have that game on their school computers. I like the game most because of the good history in it. And I like that you need to go thru the hole house the gather all the information you need to find out more about the family. Gone home is a remarkable first-person adventure that tells a very good story about how the family from the story. The game is good whit all its history, but I think the game is to short, they should have added more rooms and maybe something outside of the house, like you can go in the garden and find some information there to. Still this game is good even without the garden, I think that everyone should buy this game and play it because it is a very good game, that the developers must have used a long time to make all the room whit the texture. The best reason for that I like the game is because it is a first-person game, and I love to play first-person games. I like when you walk in the house sometimes it comes a story that you need to listen to get more information. The game has much good music when you walk around in the house, and it has many secret places you need to find to get more information. I like the ending because of that it does not say where Sam is, so you need to make up a story yourself about what happened to Sam.
    I hope that the game developers will make a new game like this one where you are in a house where the family has moved out from the house, and you need to find information about where your family live.
    The game is very good because of what you can do in the game, you can crouch and that is very needed to do in this game, and many games in the world does not have a crouch option. I think that the developers should make updates to gone home, there it will be added more features, like something that makes you see something that’s not there, something like a ghost, or a family member that is dead. They should make more rooms where there is more information to get before you can finish the game, and should make something outside of the house, where you can see how the house looks like and the nature around you.
    I hope that people will try out this game, cause it’s a very good game, and it’s a fun game even if you don’t have much time to play it, so I recommend that everyone that haven’t played the game yet, should buy it and play it. When you play you should not just rush thru the house, try finding everything you can, to solve the whole mystery about what happened to Sam, and check every room, because there is information everywhere. I hope that they add items like flashlight or food like you can use the flashlight while you go around on the dark places in the house, and eat when you need to or, your character will be slower or she will die from hunger. I hope that the next game the developers make is something that is close to this one. For some people this game may be scary, but that’s only because of the dark rooms, but there is nothing that can scare you in the game, it is only dark rooms but, you can just turn off the light on the side of the doors inside the rooms, or using the lamps. I would like that you spawn outside of the house and not inside the first room downstairs in the house. Gone home is a game you can play to take away a few hours in your life, since there is 4 floors, and many rooms on every floor.
    I have played many games, but this game is one of the best I have played, and I will give the game an 8.9score.
  82. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone Home is about a girl named Kaitlin Greenbriar. Her mission is to find her family that is gone. In the game you need to think a lot because it is letters from herself and her family.
    You need to remember a lot and seek in every corner in the house because it is things that are written places that you don’t think is important. There are letters that lead you closer to find out the big secret about your family. Sometimes you find letters and objects that triggers a story about your sister and your family’s life.
    The message in this game is that not everything look like what it is. It may be something else.
    This game jumps sometimes back and forth in time but I liked it. It helped me to get a feeling that I’m in the game. Some of the story’s in Gone Home are from your childhood and before you moved from your family.
    The peoples in Gone Home is very unknown, but sometimes it may be a letter from a person that you don’t know about in the game. And almost every person in the game that you hear about have an own story. Some of the people you get letters from in Gone Home are maybe in your family, just friends of you and your family or there are letter from peoples that are dead.
    The main character in this game is named Kaitlin Greenbriar. She needs to find things that take her closer to find where her family is. She can take up things and that triggers a new story from her sister that is closer than she thinks. The environment in this game is very nice.
    You are in the family Greenbriar`s old house and need find places that are hidden from you. Some places are dirty and nasty and other places are nice and clean.
    This game is very sad and sometimes scary. Sometimes when you go in dark places the scary music kicks in. The gameplay in Gone Home is sometimes good and sometimes bad. Because sometimes you know what`s going on an sometimes not. The game is very confusing because it is much back and forth. I don’t understand the whole story but what I know is that you need to find out what happened to your family and where your family is. The graphic in Gone Home is very nice and pretty. They made the pictures in the game look real and graphically at the same time. And the function in Gone Home is very good.
    You can pick up thing and look at it. You can open closets and doors. You can play music on music players and hear at phone calls from yourself and your family. And because of that I`ll give 7/10.
  83. Jan 28, 2016
    The story in the game is about a girl named Katie who is 20 years old. She has been traveling for about a year. When she comes home, her family isn’t there. Katie starts exploring the house to maybe find out where her family is right now. Katie finds a lot of information, and from that information she starts thinking about that they have moved. But moved without their stuff?
    The games key
    The games key message is about lesbians. How lesbians were respected in 1995 is not the same as in 2016. The game is trying to tell us about how hard it is to be a lesbian back in 1995. And according to the game that was not an easy thing.
    When you are playing the game you will play as a carracter called Katie. You cannot see your own bodyparts but you have a little dot in the middle of the screen which shows what you are pointing at. The game has good graphics but not the best. Some things just looks like a plastic bocks, like the sink. The sink looks like its’ plastic with white paint on it.
    The main character is Sam (Samantha), but we can not see her, we can only read stuff she left behind. You can hear it when Katie (the person you are) is reading the Journals. I think especially that makes the game a lot better.
    The game has a really realistic tone. You can hear the thunder when you are in the basement. The soundeffects is better than I expected. The ¨mood¨ in the house makes you feel a bit freaked out. All off the sounds makes the game a lot better.
    The gameplay is good. It has something that is good, but a lot is not very good. In my opinion the game could have been better. But in total the game was ok too play.
    For me I think this game should get a 4 out of 10.
  84. Jan 28, 2016
    Gone Home Review.

Now, as this is a game review i’m going to take this slightly more seriously than my games of TF2. I’m going to shove this into a Pros/Cons system and give my rating afterwards. But first i’m going to make a short summary of the game. You play as Kaitlyn Greenbriar, a girl who has been in Europe for a year and has returned to her home in America. But no one is home
    Gone Home Review.

You play as Kaitlyn Greenbriar, a girl who has been in Europe for a year and has returned to her home in America. But no one is home and she has to find out where everybody has gone.

Pros:
    The game has some pretty good visuals if you set the graphics up.
    The story is really good and will surprise you on several occasions.
    I ADORE good lighting engines and this one was pretty.
    This is less of a game and more of a short novel than anything.
    Despite being set in a house there is still a bucketload to see.
    There is a lot of small objects you can pick up and hover in front of your face.
    The sound design is very satisfying.
    You can flush toilets.
    Light Switches exist.

I’m going to mention that i spent 10 minutes shoving things into a box. It was oddly satisfying…

Cons:
    It’s ridiculously short.
    Because of the aforementioned it is also very expensive on Steam.
    You walk very slowly for an exploration game. You can't even jog.
    You can complete this game in like 2 minutes if you know where to look.
    I don’t have legs! I want to see my legs!
    It’s not really a game and as such it doesn’t have any challenges.

My conclusion is this: It’s an interesting experience but not a game. It’s also very expensive for its length. I’m going to rate this a 7 out of 10 Kasto Points due to it being a good story and fancy graphics and it’s pricing (ON STEAM) is pretty high.
  85. Jan 28, 2016
    Gone Home

Review by Christer Dragsnes Solli Gone Home is a creepy and scary game that never let’s you off the hook. From start to finish, this mind-blowing game never seems to end, and Kaitlin Greenbriar, the main character, is in constant search for her sister. The sudden scares and luring mysteries sets the tone for Gone Home as you explore the big mansion that leaves you with

Review by Christer Dragsnes Solli

Gone Home is a creepy and scary game that never let’s you off the hook. From start to finish, this mind-blowing game never seems to end, and Kaitlin Greenbriar, the main character, is in constant search for her sister. The sudden scares and luring mysteries sets the tone for Gone Home as you explore the big mansion that leaves you with goose-bumps.

As the weather storms on outside the dark and creepy mansion, every door seems to be locked. The main objective is to reveal the story about the sister, and in order to get there, Kaitlin has to look for clues. In order to find the clues which takes her further into the mansion, she has to walk from room to room, never knowing what’s hiding in the dark corners. If you want to dig in to the whole story, you have to have your eyes open at all times, and on top of that, remember the secret codes for doors and lockers throughout the game. It’s not easy, I can tell. However, as time goes by, it get’s easier, especially if you play it with friends.

The Greenbriar’s are very christian, almost decorating their enormous home with bibles. This is a very important part of the story which will help uss find out about what happened to her sister.

What my opinion is on the game.

The game was quite good. I didn’t think that the story of the game would be this good. I liked the aspect of finding out the story, that the main character didn’t just tell me the story. And I loved the feeling of the game. I liked the setting of a creepy old mansion with many secrets. And the weather was important for the creepy factor. I was hoping for a ending that would be more interesting. I think the ending wanted uss too look more into the papers and stuff to find out what the game was all about. But I also think that the ending is a setup for a sequel to Gone Home. Overall I think the game should get 8 out of 10.
  86. Jan 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone home

Gone home is about a girl that comes home after traveling a year in Europe. This girl called Katie has a sister called Samantha. Katie gets home, but the house is empty. But full of secrets and hidden surprises. Terrance walks through the house in Portland, Oregon to find out what's going on and where is her sister and the rest of the family?
    The game happens in a chronological way. The symbols that's have been
    It have been brought up several relationship between the people in this story. Samantha(Katie little sister) has an relationship whit a girl called Lonnie. She does not tell anyone about this. Their mom Janice Greenbriar is friend with this lady Carol. A boy named Daniel has also been in the picture.
    The main character in this game is Terrance, or yourself you can say. You can Walk around the house and see if you find some answers. The games variation of environment makes it more eventful. The game is an scary/spooky genre. It gives you a feeling of being alone and scared.
    The filming , mowing and the music was generally good. The music made ​​you completely into the tuning of the little nasty feeling of being alone in the old big house. The game is realistic and have quite good graphics. The game play in the game is quite good. It doesn't challenge you like big time. But it definitely makes you upset when you can't find what you are looking for. This game is all about understands, you need to read if you want to find anything. Some of the letters are extremely hard to read because of the bad written cursive handwriting. But some of the letters is easier than others. Some of the letters are more important than other. Some of the items you have to find before you move on. The game is very optional. You can choose to do whatever you want to do and go. The more you find out, the more you want to know the rest. I give the game a 7/10. Because it was an exiting game and very good made.
  87. Jan 27, 2016
    The game is based in year 1995 in Portland Oregon and the person you are controlling is named Katlin Greenbriar. The story behind the game is to find out what happened to your family because they moved away to another place, and especially her sister Sam (Samantha). It is up to you to find out by picking up key elements of objects and find the story behind it. The atmosphere in the game isThe game is based in year 1995 in Portland Oregon and the person you are controlling is named Katlin Greenbriar. The story behind the game is to find out what happened to your family because they moved away to another place, and especially her sister Sam (Samantha). It is up to you to find out by picking up key elements of objects and find the story behind it. The atmosphere in the game is very dark and scary in somewhat areas of the house.
    I still do not know what the People that made the game of the game want us to think, but in my opinion, I think that the People that made the game want us to tell that anyone can turn out to be like her sister. I am not going to spoil anything for you so I would not say anything in deep detail about that subject.
    The game has one timeline, but the game has a sort of a ‘flashback’ so the story about a particular object that the main character have. Then occasionally you will hear her telling her story.
    The game has some religious symbols like bible and other Christian symbols, but there will be many Satanist symbols here and there, and a weedgee board and other such stuff.
    The main character talks many different conflicts they had in school and what the family thinks about gay folks. Supposedly because the family is very Christian.
    The character is very important since she’ll ramble much about the different history and how they were when they was kids and all other histories.
    The game is an adventure horror kind of a game because of the dark turns about religion and what not while you are roaming the house to find all the bits and pieces.
    The photos showed how the family and the other members of the game looks like and the music tells us what kind of a person the different characters are. By listening to the songs Samantha likes to listen too, got me thinking that she is definitely not a Christian.
    The game was an fps type horror adventure game.
    My opinion on the game is, I didn’t like the game at all sadly. Why? Because it got very repetitive when I had to pick up and throw millions of objects, trying to find an object that starts her to tell me a story. Nevertheless, in the end of all picking and throwing objects, I did not care what story she’ll tell. It might be just be I, don’t forget that it is just my opinion. However, don’t get me wrong, it is still a good game in it unique way. Its just that I like my games to be extra shooting and you know, fun…
  88. Jan 20, 2016
    This game sucks. I spent $20 on it for a class and it was slightly creepy and confusing and I had to look up what to do. And all you had to do was go to the attic. So the plot line is that my sister is a lesbian, and she has runaway with her lesbian lover. My parents are at couples counseling, they come home tomorrow. And the ghost of my uncle is in the house. Sounds intense right? BUTThis game sucks. I spent $20 on it for a class and it was slightly creepy and confusing and I had to look up what to do. And all you had to do was go to the attic. So the plot line is that my sister is a lesbian, and she has runaway with her lesbian lover. My parents are at couples counseling, they come home tomorrow. And the ghost of my uncle is in the house. Sounds intense right? BUT GUESS WHAT. as soon as i find out my sister and her lesbian **** ran away together, the thing ENDS. i have no idea about the ghost. this game was a huge disappointment and nobody should buy it. Expand
  89. Jan 19, 2016
    I created an account here to post my review regarding this game. I recall seeing the high media reviews when it came out a couple years ago but alas I am a console game and the title was exclusive to PC till last week. This is my first review here, but I feel compelled to provide it. I have never purchased an indie game feeling I had been swindled of my money, however this title has meI created an account here to post my review regarding this game. I recall seeing the high media reviews when it came out a couple years ago but alas I am a console game and the title was exclusive to PC till last week. This is my first review here, but I feel compelled to provide it. I have never purchased an indie game feeling I had been swindled of my money, however this title has me feeling that way. I will not spoil the game in my review.

My first gripe with the game is that it costs 20$, I spent 2 and a 1/2 hours from start to finish and found all hidden content. For a 2 and a 1/2 hour game to be worth 20$ it has to have some type of phenomenal experience or story, this game delivered anything but.

Gone Home is a one trick pony, once you go through the game, there is no reason to return as there is only one linear experience you could go through while playing the game. This amplifies the cost of the game being egregious.

The story is predicated on a couple plot twists, however once you know what those twist are there is no intrigue to the game. If you played with knowing the plot up front you would likely think there is no way this game could be interesting and you would be right.

With all the renown this game has surrounding it from major gaming reviews, you would think this game to be a gem. However it is placed on a pedestal because it is likely deemed 'progressive' in that homosexuality is a significant portion of the plot. I support homosexuality, however if this game did not have this element to it and was structured on a heterosexual relationship I can assure you this game would have received nothing more than mediocre scores at best and likely low scores like I am providing.

It's rare this is such a great disparity between media and user reviews however you will see a significant disparity regarding this game. In this case I believe that media reviewers praised this game solely for political reasons and not because the game is actually good. Users, such as myself or you reading this spend hard earned money to play games that are fun or entertaining, this game is neither.

Because the game play is poor, the story is awful, there is no replayability, and the cost of the game is 20$ I cannot in good conscience recommend anyone play this game. If the game were free, I would not recommend this game be played, the only thing my memory will take from this experience is the let down from all the media hype surrounding it I got sucked up in.
  90. Jan 11, 2016
    I wouldn't say this is worth the full $20 that's usually charged, but it is worth at least half that. It's short, there isn't much to it, and honestly I would have said stay away except for one particular story twist that really got to me. There are very few games (or otherwise) that can make me flip-flop from absolute dread to breathless excitement so quickly. I would say more, but itI wouldn't say this is worth the full $20 that's usually charged, but it is worth at least half that. It's short, there isn't much to it, and honestly I would have said stay away except for one particular story twist that really got to me. There are very few games (or otherwise) that can make me flip-flop from absolute dread to breathless excitement so quickly. I would say more, but it would give away one of the only powerful moments in the game. If you play it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Expand
  91. Jan 11, 2016
    The games review industry is riddled with political propagandists and fraudsters who've been brainwashed in liberal arts degree courses. The fact this game got 9s and 10s out of 10 proves this yet again. This is why gamergate happened.

This isn't a game. You wander about an empty house picking up letters and it transpires that this "game" is simply an excuse to addle people's brains with more homosexual propaganda. The guy who designed this is a feminist hipster who gets off on this stuff. The average person just doesn't want to play rubbish like this.

I like lots of indie games and want more independent developers releasing alternatives to the usual Call of Duty clones, but this isn't enjoyable or interesting or fun. The graphics are okay, but what good are good graphics if it's not fun or interesting?

If this had been about a love story between a man and a woman, i.e. a normal relationship, it would NEVER have got these high scores from critics. It would have got a 4 or 5 at most. At MOST. Blue Estate got 3/10 from Gamespot, yet it's far superior to this piece of rubbish. They didn't like Blue Estate because the protagonist was a man who wasn't "right-on" and PC who saved women and used "sexist" language, i.e. he was just normal and not a social justice warrior mangina with no balls.

If you buy this game, you are throwing your money down the drain. It's up to you. But if you like slow-paced indie games which are actually interesting and fun, I suggest you instead buy The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, or Everybody's Gone to Rapture.
  92. Jan 4, 2016
    it was a little bit of a dissapointment for the game was praised a lot and i had high expectations. it is very short and when you finish the game you see that there is no mystery element. although through the gameplay, there is some. i dont know why they placed the "mysterious" objects in the house and the weird previous owner in the game because they have no function at all.
  93. Jan 3, 2016
    This is a true walking simulator. If you like that sort of thing, you might like Gone Home.
    It might be worth $5, but no more. It takes no more than 2 hours to complete.
    I actually liked the way the story unfolds and how the locked rooms become unlocked little by little, but the story is not that compelling. What really annoyed me is that is has a sense of foreboding that just doesn't
    It might be worth $5, but no more. It takes no more than 2 hours to complete.
    What really annoyed me is that is has a sense of foreboding that just doesn't go anywhere. The dark rooms and thunder exist for no reason but to make you think something sinister might happen. And does it? Well yes: I spent $6 and two hours of my life on a walking simulator that went nowhere. It is pretty frightening to think people actually spent $20 on this and liked it.
  94. Dec 16, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone Home is a mysterious interactive fiction game, developed by The Fullbright Company. It tells the story of a teenage girl in the 1990s, who is gay. You take the role of her older sister Katie, exploring their empty house for clues as to what happened to her. It’s highly ambitious, choosing to allow for little interaction with the game environment, and treating the character as more of an observer, than an influencer of her surroundings. The game is well polished, and the house where the game takes place is full of details and intricacies to add to the player’s emersion in the game. The game features music from the Riot Grrrl movement, a movement stemming from the feminist-punk music genre in the 90s. Adding to the soundscape, the sound of rain and thunder can be heard through the old walls of the house. To capture the attention of the player, Gone Home chooses to tell a story through hand written notes and tape recordings, scattered through the dimly lit house. The goal of Gone Home is to establish an emotional connection to the player, but this goal becomes muddied by lackluster writing. Despite all of the conspicuously placed letters and diary entrees spread throughout the house, we are placed not into the shoes of Sam or her lover, but her sister- an outsider to Sam’s world. Try as we might to feel what Sam is feeling, in Gone Home, we remain the outsider looking in. This feeling of a lack of connection to the story is likely also due to the medium chosen to give these messages: emotionless documents and the scrawled handwriting of a seventeen-year-old. In summary, the game is well-worth playing. Although it didn’t connect with me as much as it tried to, Gone Home looked at many charged topics throughout the short game- sexual abuse, shame, traditional vs. progressive values, substance abuse, etc. and it tells a story that the player may never have previously encountered. Expand
  95. Dec 16, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone Home by the Fulbright company is a game about a girl named Katie Greenbriar, who you play as. She has just come back from a 1 year trip to find her new house with her parents and sister completely empty. She has no idea where they went and must explore the house to discover where they went and t reveal some of her families’ darkest secrets.

The story behind Gone Home is that Katie is home from a year of traveling all over the world to find her house completely empty. There is no sign of where her parents or sister is. The main character, Katie Greenbriar, arrives home and see’s an ominous letter left from her sister on the door telling her to not go looking for her. As Katie explores the house more and more she starts to discover things about her family. The house is very old and spooky and as you look around you start to see where her family went. As Katie find’s certain notes it can trigger audio messages left from Sam to Katie and as you advance in the game the story of what happens to Sam starts to become more clear. The story behind Gone Home makes you really connect with the characters and feel with them. The story behind Gone Home is such a possible story that it allows you to connect with.

In Gone Home they have exceptional graphics and sound. This makes the game. It makes it feel real. The graphics are great. Sure it’s a game but it gives you a sense of what an actually house would look like. It even shows the smallest of details. Like in the toilet paper. It shows the little divots that real toilet paper would have. Also a big part is the sound. Just like a real house there’s always going to be cracks and other little noises. In Gone Home they happen at random just like a normal house would have. When you first start Gone Home you can instantly tell that it is raining. As you explore the house further the noise level changes. If you are closer to the windows or the outside of the house, then the level of the rain and thunder gets louder. Overall the sound and graphics in Gone Home gives you the sense that you are in the game and that the house is real.

In Gone Home there are many times in the game when you will actually feel attached to a character and connecting with them. Like when we find out how Terry, Katie’s father, has had a lot of pressure being put on him about getting his book sold. This game isn’t like any other game. There is no one you have to kill or nothing you have to run from. It makes you feel like it’s real life. As you play the game you get to know each of the characters on a deep level. You find out their secrets and you realize that the story of this family could happen to any family.

In conclusion, I think Gone Home has achieved their goal of having you connect with the Greenbrier family and making it feel like you are really in the house. I think the Fulbright company has changed the way games are made and has shown that a game doesn’t have to have violence to make a good game.
  96. Dec 16, 2015
    Gone Home Review

Gone Home Review

Gone Home, a first person adventure game, is very different from any other video game I have played. In the game you are a women named Katie Greenbriar. She has returned home after spending a year in Europe to find her family missing. It is your job to look for clues throughout the house and piece together their story. The main story focuses on Sam, Katie’s younger sister, but there are other segments of the story that focus on various relatives. While you search you uncover hidden truths about all of the characters and you begin to understand what has gone on in this house.

The graphics, audio and story are exceptionally well done in Gone Home. The graphics are incredible. The Greenbriar house feels like a real home with amazing detail and a true ‘lived in’ look. During my playing time I did not encounter a single glitch - the only thing that even looked weird was that the doors opened both way. This minor issue does not take away from the game at all. No element of the house is neglected. There are post-it notes on the fridge door, labels on can goods and stacks of board games and VHS movies. All of these parts add up to make the house look amazing and realistic. The audio in the game is also outstanding. The thunder and lighting make you feel on edge as you wander through this dark and empty house. The narration is done well and Sam’s voice actor seems sincere as she talks about what is happening in her life. The main point in buying Gone Home is for the story. It is very well told and all of the characters seem real and like they could represent someone in your own family. It is very entertaining to try and piece together the history of the Greenbriar family and what has happened to them while exploring the house. The graphics, audio and story all come together to make the story seem real, which makes it very entertaining to play.

What could be improved is the length of Gone Home. It is rather short. It takes about three hours to travel throughout the house in-depth. This feels a bit short and once you have beaten the game there is no multiplayer option like in most modern video games to keep you playing. Once the game is beaten it is highly unlikely that you will play it again. This can leave a bitter taste with the player because they have just spent money on a game that provides at most three hours of entertainment and then it is over.

Overall Gone Home is very well done. The story is well told and the graphics and audio make it feel real. The problem though is that the game is too expensive for a three-hour story that once you finish has no replay value.
  97. Dec 16, 2015
    Gone Home, a first person exploratory adventure game that allows the player to go through the family mansion. By family, I mean the Greenbriars. You play as Kaitlin who comes home from vacation to find her families house empty. The task of the game is to go through the story of tracing clues and ideas as to what has occurred to have no family there. The Game is created by the FullbrightGone Home, a first person exploratory adventure game that allows the player to go through the family mansion. By family, I mean the Greenbriars. You play as Kaitlin who comes home from vacation to find her families house empty. The task of the game is to go through the story of tracing clues and ideas as to what has occurred to have no family there. The Game is created by the Fullbright Company also famous for Minerva’s Den in BioShock 2.

So, Gone Home allows you to go through your family mansion, which has many hidden secrets. The story of your family unfolds as you play the role of a detective figuring out different aspects of your family members lives. Oh and by family, I mean Terrence Greenbriar (your father), Janice Greenbriar (your mother), and your sister Samantha. All 3 of whom are not in your house and have left various pieces of their lives to be picked up and figured out by you. It’s a seriously cool twist of mystery and adventure.

At many points in Gone Home, voices will speak to you. Usually it will be Samanthas or your own. After examining items or objects sometimes they will activate a voice recording that will normally tell you more information about whatever you’re on about. Walking through the house also gives a mysterious vibe as some lights are left on and off, and you have the power to turn on most lights open all doors and basically walk through the story. Without giving too much away you are taken through various past experiences that lead to future parts of the story and allow you to understand and appreciate the gameplay much more.

In all honesty I myself did not enjoy playing Gone Home. I am not one for storyline exploratory games as they attract some for an exciting tale, they bore me. Gone Home had a lot I think that could’ve made the experience more fulfilling. A lot of what I found was boring useless achievements to figure out a story that didn’t reward you with anything at the end of the game. This is where the FullBright Company could have made a difference. Adding extra and bonus content and special unlocks to altar gameplay just makes everything more enjoyable. It allows the player to take exciting new approaches to games whilst enhancing the game itself for pure enjoyment.

Overall Gone Home presented a fulfilling task of mystery and exploration. It created an environment of examination and thought rather then action and destruction. Gone Home gained much success but also much criticism from the gaming community. It is a fun slow paced game for those who look for more detail in a story mode, and will leave you wanting more!

Thanks for reading!
    Max
  98. Dec 16, 2015
    The computer game “Gone Home,” developed by Fulbright was based in Portland 1995. After a year, young Kaitlin Greenbrair returns home to her house in Arbor Hill, Oregon. To her surprise no one appears home and the house is empty. The objective of the game is to figure out what has taken place in the house since the departure of Kaitlin. As you read more and discover clues, a very strangeThe computer game “Gone Home,” developed by Fulbright was based in Portland 1995. After a year, young Kaitlin Greenbrair returns home to her house in Arbor Hill, Oregon. To her surprise no one appears home and the house is empty. The objective of the game is to figure out what has taken place in the house since the departure of Kaitlin. As you read more and discover clues, a very strange picture seems to form. The game centers around Samantha, her parents and the many elements of love, confusion and disaster that are scattered around the mansion.
    Samantha’s story in the game was developed brilliantly combining many themes of love and teenage drama. As the player, you take on the role of Kaitlin, which investigates rooms to discover various documents and clues to what has occurred in the house. As the player moves through the house, he or she discovers a series of letters written to Kaitlin from Samantha located in her journal, which she has kept for the duration of the year. The player learns that after moving into the new house, Samantha also moves into a new school and is soon to be recognized as “the Psycho House Girl.” The name was given to her due to a man called Oscar Masan, who is the great uncle of Kaitlin and left everything in his will to her father, including the house. When Samantha attends school she notices a senior girl dressed in a military uniform. Samantha eventually speaks to the girl with the military uniform and the player learns that her name is Yolanda “Lonnie” Desoto who has always had the desire to view “The Psycho House.” Samantha, being desperate for friends, invites her to come over the next day. Their friendship sparks over the months and they become extremely close, sharing activities and viewing movies such as Pulp Fiction. Their relationship begins to escalate quickly by Lonnie telling Samantha that she “Looks beautiful.” Moreover, after they see a Halloween show in “the city,” they decide to stay overnight at a friend’s brother’s house and slept together. Lonnie commences to put her arm around Samantha and reveals her feelings for her; Samantha has mutual feelings but can not bring herself to speak. A couple days pass and Lonnie again visits Samantha at “The Psycho house”. However, this will be an encounter, which Samantha will not soon forget. Lonnie kisses Samantha and that’s when their relationship becomes serious and they become secret girlfriends. As the Kaitlin goes on, she discovers that Samantha was organizing and preparing herself for a college creative writing course. However, Lonnie explains to Samantha that she is serious about enrolling in the military and is to be shipped out on June 6th. Samantha’s parents then intervene and soon discover her relationship with Lonnie. They state that the relationship is “a phase,” not accepting the fact that Samantha is in fact a lesbian. Forty-eight hours before Lonnie is to be shipped out, Samantha becomes upset and wishes that she could go with Lonnie. The day Lonnie is supposed to be shipped out Lonnie can’t go through with joining the military and asks Samantha to run away with her where they will start a life together; Samantha agrees to join her. She packs up her valuables and writes a letter for Kaitlin, which the player discovers, stating, “ I love you so much, Katie. I’ll see you again, someday. Love, Sam”.
    While discovering these letters, Kaitlin looks through her father and mother’s room, along with her father’s study. She finds old novels her father, Terry, had published. All novels were based around the topic of the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Kaitlin learns that two of her father’s books had sold poorly and his publishing partner had dropped the series. Kaitlin also learns that eventually, Terry gave up writing due to writer’s block, an issue which makes the person unable to think about what to write. Sometime over the duration of the year, Terry received a letter from another publishing firm stating that they were willing to republish his two books under a new cover. Terry accepted and included a new novel, set 20 years after the second book. The player also learns that Kaitlin’s parents are at a couple’s counseling getaway, with evidence stating her mother may have had an affair with a coworker, and are due to return the following day. Kaitlin also learns that her great uncle sexually abused Terry. As the player tours the house, you may even see the various locations where the abuse has taken place.
    In addition discovering the story while investigating the home, this game also includes mind-altering graphics and eerie sounds. Fulbright manages to encompass the game with a creepy graphics along with a mysterious storyline. For example, upon entering the house you begin in the foyer where the light instantly flickers causing a dark atmosphere. Also stating, another characteristic of the graphics, which was well done, are the 3D effects when holding and looking through objects.
  99. Dec 16, 2015
    Being a mysterious adventure exploring a modern locale, Gone Home includes a story line of problem solving to find where the main character’s family is. Throughout the game the player will encounter many rooms and clues such as notes and other artifacts which help move the plot forward and ultimately lead to the final scene revealing the mystery previously unsolved. This game incorporatesBeing a mysterious adventure exploring a modern locale, Gone Home includes a story line of problem solving to find where the main character’s family is. Throughout the game the player will encounter many rooms and clues such as notes and other artifacts which help move the plot forward and ultimately lead to the final scene revealing the mystery previously unsolved. This game incorporates themes of other games, and adds its own refreshing sense of family and feminism, which makes it appealing to women as well as men, something most games are not able to accomplish.

Gone home takes time and focus to understand the game fully, and creates a need for attention to detail such as music, lighting, and relating it to personal experience. Gone Home is designed to be fine combed which makes the game that much more intriguing. Considering that many people find this aspect of the game a bit tedious, it adds to the realism of it. One thing that is done very well is the level of low lighting they use which adds a feeling of mystery. The player is constantly stimulated with music which relate to the atmosphere of the house therefor drawing the player even deeper into it. Along with the music, the graphics create a very real feel for the player. If not played properly you miss most of the messages meant to be taught and therefor making the game much less enjoyable. Another aspect which was well established was the option to play Gone Home a second time with developer’s commentary, which explains problems which the developers had to overcome when creating the game, and developing a more in depth explanation of many rooms of the house. After playing this game I found myself feeling multiple emotions, however one which was the most apparent was the feeling of disappointment that it was over.

Aspects of the game that could be improved are spread out among the entire game. One aspect which needs to be addressed is the direction given when playing the game. Understanding the game is supposed to be a free exploration for the gamer to experience, some guidance of where to go or what to see would be helpful. After talking to many people about the gameplay, they mentioned that they missed a few very important pieces of the game because they did not know they were a part of it. If the developers were to include a list of things needed to be accomplished, the game would be easier to understand. The objects being examined should be tweaked to allow collection of knowledge for everyone. Some of the letters or books were written in very neat, but hard to read cursive which restricted many people from understanding some of the clues.

Overall the game itself presented the aspect of mystery, adventure and difficulty which will appeal to many players who enjoy story line games. The gameplay was enjoyable and aside from little tweaks, the game was well developed. Taking into account the difficulty of some aspects such as opening and closing doors, the developers made great use of coding to make the game the way it is. The story drew the player in, overall pleasing the senses of the player. I would recommend this game to people who strive for adventure and interest in knowledge of the game.
  100. Dec 16, 2015
    Gone Home is a first-person story adventure game in which the player controls a girl named Katie who has just returned to Portland, Oregon from a trip to Europe. The game starts on the front porch of a new home Katie’s family had moved to while she was away. She arrives only to discover that her entire family has left. The goal of the game is to find out why.

I have played many

I have played many different types of video games, and not once have I ever felt so intrigued and interested in a game’s story. Gone Home is possibly the first successful game where the creators sought to make the game’s story line the main attraction. Unlike the hugely popular mainstream games you always hear about, there are no guns, no violence and no puzzles. But that is alright because the fascinating twists and turns in Gone Home’s story line more than makes up for it. The narrative that you hear when picking up certain objects adds an emotional level to the story. These narrations, spoken by Katie’s younger sister, help you piece together the mystery of what has happened to Katie’s family. As a player, you can’t help but feel you are in her shoes. Hearing the sister’s voice makes you feel as though you know her in real life, and it makes you truly care about what happens next in the story.

The graphics in Gone Home aren’t amazing but they get the job done, and that is all that the game’s developer, the Full Bright Company, needed them to do. Impressive graphics are a key draw for many other games. With Gone Home, in contrast, I can guarantee that when you have finished the game you won’t even consider the graphics to be a problem because of how deeply you get drawn into the story line. Another strong point is the game’s sounds, which are synced up closely with your character’s actions. The music used in Gone Home, which for the most part is eerie and dark, is effective in helping to create the game’s mood. Gameplay is another thing the Full Bright Company has done very well. Anyone can jump into this game and quickly learn how to play it – even my grandparents if they were so inclined. The controls are easy to learn. Within 5 minutes I knew them all and was on my way. One thing I wish the developers’ would have added, however, is a sprint feature. Sometimes clues will prompt you to go to the other side of the house to solve a problem. But the character’s slow movement can be very annoying. Some people may argue that this helps slow down the game so that players can look at everything more closely. But I think that, on balance, Gone Home would have been better with a sprint feature, and I would love to have seen it in the game.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who is getting bored of standard first-person shooter action/adventure games, and to even someone who doesn’t play video games at all and simply wants to enjoy a good story. Gone Home’s compelling story line and overall playability have made me a big fan. I can’t wait to see what Full Bright comes up with next.
  101. Aug 16, 2013
    I don't usually give games a 10. In fact, there are only 2 other games that I would consider to be perfect 10s: the original portal and pacman ce dx. Those aren't necessarily the best games I've played, but they are the most perfect, if that makes sense. And that is a word that I would use to describe Gone Home: perfect. It is a game purely comprised of exploration and discovery, withI don't usually give games a 10. In fact, there are only 2 other games that I would consider to be perfect 10s: the original portal and pacman ce dx. Those aren't necessarily the best games I've played, but they are the most perfect, if that makes sense. And that is a word that I would use to describe Gone Home: perfect. It is a game purely comprised of exploration and discovery, with virtually no other gameplay components with the exception of some very simplistic puzzles. And yet, Gone Home manages to make seemingly mundane exploration into some of the most engaging and emotional storytelling I have ever seen. Gone Home will be remembered for its brilliant design and execution, but also as a game that bravely led the charge in addressing contemporary social issues that have not as of yet found much representation in the medium.
    This game is not for everyone. If all you play are shooters and fast paced action games, then Gone Home will bore you. However, if you like slower games or games with interesting ways of telling stories, such as Journey, Heavy Rain, Dear Esther, or even mods like The Stanley Parable, than Gone home is certain to grab you and not let go for its 3 hour duration.

1. Feb 10, 2015
    Grow Home is an interesting surprise from a publisher who get used to mismanaging his own IP's. This platformer like no other has everything going for you and for a very low price tag. You can easily give it a try.
  2. Jan 5, 2014
    A beautiful, emotionally engaging, artfully crafted game, completely centered around exploration and telling a mature story through interaction.
  3. Dec 2, 2013
    A story that will move some and alienate others.