8.3

1. Nov 22, 2011
    How the hell does this game have such a low score. I'm a big fan of open-world RPG games, and this game is the definition of what I find good in a game. Admittedly, it does take an hour or two before you really sink into the world and the story, but once you reach that point, and you've gotten used to the combat system, the game doesn't let you go. The world is one of the most well-designed worlds from almost any game I've ever played. Play it! Collapse
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    Strange thing is: This game had a user rating of about 8.8- 9.2 some months ago! If you look at the reviews you will notice that written reviews are almost all very positive.
    But there seem to be many people who dislike the game but didnt't tell us why.
    And believe me: these negative ratings were not there half a year ago. My personal conclusion is: THE RATING IS MANIPULATED by haters/
    other developers etc...

This makes me sad because Gothic and Gothic II are masterpieces of game experience and one of my favourite games of all time!
  3. Jan 9, 2012
    It seems there is a troll lobby on metacritic that rates down all gothic games, probably hired by bio-ware hehe. Isn't it suspicious nobody who rated negative had actually write a review? This game deseves 10, just look at the actual reviews, everyone will tell you its a masterpiece.
  4. Aug 19, 2010
  5. Nov 13, 2011
    I'm only in the beginning of the game... And at first the clunky controls can give a little frown... But the fact that this game has 5.7 gives us the ultimate truth about rpg's... I'm no elitist or fanboy, but the 5.7 this gets together with my experience with rpg games gives me the conclusion that this is truly the best rpg I have ever played... And I didn't even finish it yet. The mysticism and soul this game has is not appreciated it seems...

Let me put it like this...

People that were obsessed with fantasy themes and imagination and had a heart filled with longing for occult dungeons etcetera, who also loved games like warhammmer, magic the gathering, advanced dnd...

These people will love this game...

People that play rpg's casually and want to feel heroic from the get go with big flashes will play the generic rpg's...

It's 2011 and I am grateful I discovered this gem... Because I'd say, I'm a fantasy nerd in the style of advanced dnd, magic the gathering (10+ years ago, don't know how it is now.) and sitting in caves playing fantasy games all day long, forgetting about school...

Ofcourse we are all fanboys and we all say this... But Gothic 1 is the only game that really gave me that occult feeling of mysticism some get from Lord of the Rings, etcetera...

Unexplainable... But the 5.7 explains a lot...

Get this game above all other video games if you are the DnD type of player...

This game is maybe a 7.0 polish/graphic wise...
    But you will forget all of this when you are trying to decide which camp to join...

I would also suggest playing this in 640x480.. Because it adds to the mysterious setting to play it in a cloudy resolution, in my opinion...
  6. Nov 23, 2011
    I just don't get people who moan over Gothic. All you can say is bugs and awkward controls. That's pathetic. Gothic represents what all RPGs should be like: gripping and original storyline with many turning points, super-charismatic characters(you have to be an idiot not to notice that) and miscellaneous gliches and secrets in every corner. Even the omnipresent bugs have become an integral part of the gameplay, thus, along with the game, acquiring almost a cult status. What is most important - that game has an unforgettable atmosphere, beating down many other rpgs. Unfortunately, this all this cannot be appreciated by this increasing group of shallow consumers, for whom the epitomes of RPGishness are dragon age games, almost linear slashers, and mass effects - very good rpg-based shooters. The era of games which controls are not pad-orientated is gone. Expand
  7. Nov 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best RPG I have ever played.
    I know that this game has a very little fan base, mainly in Germany, Poland and East Europe. I've no idea how such good game is so little known around the world. Great graphics, great story, great fights, great atmosphere, GREAT SOUNDTRACK. 10/10.
  8. May 21, 2012
    A brilliant game with a good story and wonderful atmosphere. It's old, yes, but it's still one of the best RP Gs I've ever played. Two words: Buy it.
  9. Mar 21, 2012
    Although Gothic suffers greatly from technical issues, its storyline and amazing climate makes it take place in my top 5 rpg games. Fact that after 11 years from release date it's still entertaining and addictive as hell is best recommendation i could give.
  10. May 29, 2012
    One of best game I ever played! The control is absolutely OK, I didn't have any problem with it. Gothic is not easy game but it worth your time. After some hours player still can't kill boars for example so it can be frustrating if you came from other game such as elder scrolls. But after some time you will be stronger and you will know every corner of the world and lot of great game characters.
  11. Jun 10, 2012
    Good story , good world design , good atmospheric feel and great music it really makes for enjoyable rpg game , it takes a 20 to 30 mins till you learn controls , but after learning them its an awesome ride.
    This game don't have inventory routine cause it's unlimited space , and no respwan every 15 mins routine cause spawns are set to story events and etc.Characters don't sound like just
    useless quest givers ,npc have personalities. Story is really nice. Journal has hand writen feel to it. Quite nice variety of spells no unneeded like in some other rpgs. Overall :compact full of content world , enjoyable characters, nice smooth combat , no limit for inventory , great atmospheric feeling , quest journal that actually helps or at times atleast is fun , very awesome epic music , freedom of class (bows, magic , melee you can do it all pretty much). This game shows how I would like RPGs to be made. Expand
  12. Mar 25, 2011
    Gothic is one of the greatest games I've ever played. Of course, many years have passed since it was out. But it has something that makes me come back to it once in a while. The storyline is really great. The flaw is that it's linear, but still, it doesn't take much fun away from playing the game. Besides, we still have plenty of choices to do. The most important choice is, which of three camps are we going to join. Each of them has a different "life style". The whole world in game is really nicely done, and even though it is whole open ever since we start to play, various enemies are placed around it so smartly that we won't be able to wander away too far without first making our character stronger. We don't create a character, we start as a weakling who doesn't know much about fighting, magic, or anything that could potentially be useful to him in a prison colony in which the game takes place in. But as we level up, we get learning points, and we develop our character as we want to. What I think is a good solution, is that we are only able to improve our stats by spending these learning points at various teachers (NPCs). Besides normal statistics like strength, dexterity, mana, one-handed weapons, double-handed weapons, bows, crossbows, we also can learn few unique abilities, like skinning animals, stealth, lock picking, and so on. We are only able to use spells later in the game, if we decide to be a mage, but for these we need magic runes which we buy. There are plenty of spells in the game. Variety of NPCs is amazing. We will meet friendly ones during the game, as well as ones that will become our foes. Overall, when you go through places in which there are people around, you will literally feel the in game world living it's own life. You will see NPCs talking to each other, eating, fixing their huts, practicing fighting, collecting rice, and doing many other activities, which just make the in game world seem really.. fluent. The graphics are old. It's an old game after all. But I still think that they are kinda nice in their own way. As I mentioned before, the world of the game is really great. It's neither too big nor too small, and it's fun to explore it, even the places that we don't need to visit. Controls are really simple. We only need to use arrow keys, ctrl, alt, spacebar, numbers from 1-9. We can use the mouse if we wish but I always found it more comfortable to use only keyboard. Fighting is quite enjoyable, especially later down when we increase our fighting skills. I don't have much to say about soundtrack, it seems simple but is really well made. What can throw one off, is that the game is a little bugged.. But there are patches that fix most bugs, and with newest community patch one can play the game without any problems. Another real problem is.. that even if they game is a bit difficult at the beginning, if we do good job on developing our character, all of the chapters later down will be ridiculously easy to play through. Or maybe it only seems so for me, since I've beaten the game plenty of times and I can more or less say I'm an experienced Gothic player. What also can tick someone off is that there are no new side quests later down in the game. Sure, we have plenty of these in the first chapter. But if we do them all, no new side quests come later down, only main quests. Despite it's old date of release, I must say that this game is simply... epic. I personally like the graphics but if you don't, don't let them throw you off. Because besides it, the game is more detailed than most of any newer RPGs. If you are a fan of action RPGs and you never played Gothic, you must try it.

I think that's all I have to say. Let me do a quick summary.

Pros:
    -Amazing storyline.
    -Variety of creatures and NPCs we meet through the game.
    -Although it could be a little more improved, fighting is really enjoyable.
    -Open world which just awaits for us to be explored. Huge pro is that it's neither too big nor too little.
    -Everything else I didn't mention.

Cons:
    -Although the storyline is great, we can't affect it much.
    -Bugs, though only if we don't patch the game.
    -Too easy if we do a good job on developing our character through the first chapter.
  13. Jul 27, 2011
    The game that started it all. Gothic may not have all the fancy graphics and may be further frustrating when it comes to controls. The bugs are minimal and the controls can be changed at any time during play. The story is intricate and well devised, the characters are easy to bond with and provide even more detail to the story. Overall the game is a worthy investment. Worth your time and your money. I give it an 8.5 out of 10. Expand
  14. Aug 16, 2012
    (For Gothic v.1.08j, via GamersGate to work with Windows Vista/7.) A classic, gritty RPG with an entertaining story and decision consequence gameplay, but stunted from bugs. Begins wonderful: Environments look handcrafted with much effort put into them, while being unique and not mass-produced and thus generic; lots of mystery; start with nothing, and work your way from a nobody to someone of literal class, or not. Lots of voice acting repeated. A.I. fails miserably too often: NPC's loses player when following, failing off cliffs easily, and often unable to climb ladders when necessary. (This often causes significant problems with quests.) Sometimes buggy quests and A.I. that go as far as ruining immersion and gameplay (ex. failing a quest by doing something you actually didn't). Combat often seems buggy -- enemies not taking damage at certain angles or seemingly randomly. Some environment errors, such as mismatching paths and ladders not working and restricting character access to certain areas. Game crashes way too frequently (Vista). All in all, a game with great potential, with some accomplished, but a lot blocked from bugs, making the game frustrating to continue, but in the end worth playing it, or some of it. Expand
  15. Sep 21, 2011
    Gothic is a game that either grows on you or never will. First thing you might notice is that it has overcomplicated controls which however are not impossible at all to master. You start out as a very weak character, which to me though adds to the challenge. In example you'll probably get beaten by those Dodo-like birds more then just a couple of times, but as you grow stronger you *will* be slaying them with one blow, feeling like you've actually have accomplished something.

I felt compelled to continue this game as the setting and storyline are quite unique. You get thrown into a mining colony sealed off by a magic barrier. The colony itself is separated between three camps, each with their own take on how to deal with the situation. You get to choose which side you will be on, and yes - that *does* make a difference to your gaming experience even though near the end it all gets pretty much the same, storywise.

The graphics may be a bit brownish and outdated to some, but I felt it supported the overall atmosphere of a mine-colony-prison very well. The engine works fine and I found the long walks between the camps fun and immersing. The gaming world is big and you get to discover a lot of varied locations, characters and enemies to deal with while the storyline itself remains solid.

I loved playing this game, even though I only discovered it ten years after its release. Next up is finishing the next three parts (or at least Gothic 2). That might take a while though.
  16. Sep 23, 2012
    One of the best RPG's ever been made. I've played the game in the last 10 years determined 20 times. The atmosphere there is simply unmatched today.
  17. Aug 24, 2011
    the game has an amazing story line and atmosphere. the story is very original, it is about you the nameless protagonist who gets thrown inside the penal colony of Khorinis, the penal colony is surrounded by a magic barrier which makes it impossible for the convicts to escape, so it is some sort of medieval Australia anyway the convicts rule the penal colony and they have three camps the old camp, the swamp camp and the new camp. the protagonist has to join one of these camps to advance into the story. it is very fun to meet all kinds of different characters in the game and to find out the dark secrets of the colony. sadly the game also contains a lot of bucks, for instance I currently can't play the game once I start the game it crashes. and it does that on all my 4 computers so the story and atmosphere is really good but the bugs and average gameplay kill one point of this game Expand
  18. Apr 24, 2012
    Very dated when played today. Both graphically, and technically.
    Seems like alot of work was put into it, but since the mouse look/feel is nowhere near the norm it put me off. My rating is based on 2012, how the game has stood up, and how much it kept my interest. Personally, I lost interest as soon as I installed it, and I still plenty tons of games from that time frame.
    +5 for their
    effort. -5 for my disinterest. Expand
  19. Dec 30, 2012
    This is just one of my favourite rpgs! The atmosphere is amazing, and is far better then the other Gothics. The only one, that I can also play is Gothic 2. The rest are just an insult to this game! It has a great story, great magic system and funny but good for me combat system! The graphics were great for the year that it was released. I remember playing the demo of this game, and saying WOW, this game is a must buy! Pity that they could not continue this great series! Expand
  20. Dec 12, 2012
    For the time it came out, Gothic was a revelation. Nothing came even close to the story, immersion and combat of it. I spent some sleepless nights with Gothic and also love Gothic 2. These are the games which modern work like Witcher 1&2 are inspired by. Rating: plain 10.
  21. Aug 25, 2012
    An excellent RPG. I played the 2nd game first, but find the 1st game nearly as good.
    Interestingly there seems to be the same strange situation with the user-scores as with Gothic 2 (44 negative reviews and only 1 written one - for both games).
  22. Dec 30, 2012
    best action-rpg by far

- great german voice actors (it's unique)
    - manually designed world, not like a TES
    - best athmosphere i have ever seen, the graphic and the rough world of bandits - unique!
    - great story - from zero to hero, not from hero to god :)
    - specific controls - of course, not for casuals :D
  23. May 18, 2013
    It is the best and first RPG I've ever played and I like it all the way. It has a great story, an awesome atmosphere and the music is really neat, too. I can't stop playing it for 12 years. And I still have fun with it!
    If you don't have it: buy it! It's awesome!
  24. Apr 30, 2012
    Will start off by saying I've only played just over 3 hours of the game, but the game doesn't inspire me to continue any further. Although the premise and the setting are very nice and you can get the atmospheric feel of the place, especially with good ambient music, the game has a lot of drawbacks, such as ridiculously bad controls, poor dialogue, and a very slow pace. First of all, the controls. To do anything in the game, such as to pick up an item, to talk to someone, or (the worst of all) to climb ladders, requires not only for the character to be perfectly alligned in a certain direction, but also the press of two buttons at exactly the same time. This kind of bad controls really detract from the gaming experience, even if you do sort of get there after an hour or so. I also mentioned the bad dialogue, but that mostly just refers to the main character and not the NPCs. It's a combination of both the bad lines and bad voice acting. Like the guy has an overly down to earth attitude and acts a bit like a naive child even though he has no reason to since just about any character there tries to beat the crap out of him or to rob him off his ore. However, it's mostly the slow pacing of the game that really discouraged me from carrying on, and the fact that you are kind of forced to explore for solutions to what to do next, except that the game won't let you explore, because nearly every creature apart from standard scavengers kills you in one hit, hence confining you to a tiny area. The game probably picks up the pace later on, but I couldn't stomach it anymore. If these issues could be sorted out, I am sure Gothic can be a really fun game, but otherwise it feels a bit broken, especially considering there are some in-game bugs present too, which I sort of forgave. Expand
  25. May 2, 2012
    The storyline is quite nice, well woven into a fluid and magical questline. But there's one problem: the control scheme. Everything depends very heavily upon the control scheme, and for such an old game, thats a pretty daunting flaw. I've given GOTHIC a few chances while re-arranging the controls a bit to my liking, but still some very odd choices stand out among the game, Like how mouse usage for opening a chest is required, and the inventory handling.

Perhaps maybe i need to give gothic a few more chances, but for now its a good but very strange handling game.
  26. Oct 4, 2012
    Great game with a great story and probably one of the most creative solutions for the borders of the game world. Nice to look at (for the time) and fun to play. The only small downsides are the odd controls (but you get used to them quickly) and the storyline that starts with loads of side quests and free choices but quickly forces you into a main story where you cannot take influence on the events and very little side quests already early in the game. Expand
  27. Jan 31, 2013
    This game is gold. It really gives me true feel of progression and not only engages me to achieve more, but also gives me something to achieve. Well, of course it has issues, like, it's really hard to fight against more, than 2 enemies, but most of the time, biggest flaw of the game are glitches. And also, do not pick up mage class, you are doomed if you will. Other than that, game is just about perfect. Some might say outdated graphics, but i say screw you, i like even graphics, and just look at freaking sky! Expand
  28. egn
    Mar 12, 2013
    This game is...legendary. That's really the only word I can use to describe it. This game is legendary.; You are chucked into a detailed, fully-realized world that really and truly feels alive. For its time, it was groundbreaking in how it put in living world elements. Every character has a life, a schedule that they follow. You can find them at home when they're not doing whatever they do, and at work otherwise. when you hunt, you clean game, and you can go and fry up your own dinner at a frying pan. you can fight with a weapon you crafted. Gaining access to the secrets of the magi is one of the most challenging and rewarding play styles of the game, and really leaves you feeling like you accomplished something. The plot, while I don't want to leave spoilers, is quite interesting and exciting; as is the overall premise, where you are a prisoner trapped in an autonomous prison. (think, a fantasy version of "Escape from New York"). Combat is challenging and fun; also fairly unforgiving. You probably will only find out if you can beat certain enemies by having to reload. The biggest downside to this game is the UI; it is really really difficult to get used to it, and there is not much room for the use of a mouse in it at all. It is really awkward to use in this sense, and that' is the reason why I'm giving it a 9 and not a 10; because for all other categories this game really ticks every box for me. Expand
  29. Sep 6, 2014
    Gothic is a game which is perfect for me. Ten years passed and I still enjoy life under the magic barrier. Beautiful world filled with interesting NPCs, great dialogs, stunning music and things difficult to express. The story is dark and addictive. I love the choice of joining Old Camp - rich from trade with the outer world, New Camp - where people do what they want and Water Mages try to find a way out of Barrier or the Brotherhood - filled with people prayint to their pagan god and smoking swamp weed. You can learn a lot of interesting magic spells from firebolt, shapeshift, telekinesis to one that allows you to control someone's body. The only flaws of the game are controls and maybe lack of side-quests in some of the chapters.
    That game is a masterpiece.
  30. Jun 30, 2013
    Looking and not believing.. all these negative comments what!? my childhood is ruined but seeing this... and it's like this on G2 but don't be scared of by all the negative reviews.. they are not really they are some payed basterds that are here to put this great game down! don't listen to it.. And all those reviews without writing anything i know how they did that.. on summary page you can rate game without writing anything.. not a single word.. but enough of that my moaning won't change anything I'm here to tell you that they are all WRONG!
    What people here are writing is incredible and i don't give a damn I'll quote:
    "Very dated when played today./.../ ...but since the mouse look/feel is nowhere near the norm it put me off. My rating is based on 2012/.../ 5/10 first of all you rating a game from 2001 as game from 2012 then you kind sir are mental! I personally like controls they make me immersed into game even more... like i need to hold LMB in order to pick something up- isn't it like using your hand?
    "I spent about an hour and a half on this and gave up. The nonsensical control scheme and awkwardness of movement are absolutely game breaking. I heard it's supposed to have some good qualities, but I couldn't even get to them." it's not my damn fault that you're not patient. Controls are great to me a real change to all usual control mapping...
    Imagine this they are moaning about COMBAT! I won't say 100% but at least 90% of REAL Gothic lovers love combat because it's not simple (EoS kinda) "Smashing LMB" all the time here you need to use WSAD in order to attack of dodge attacks in different directions (Isn't that ingenious?!)
    "Game's too hard" maybe because it's not EoS and because you need to improve both yours and your character's abilities in order to achieve something!
    "Game's too slow paced" oh, really!? and you'd like to get right up to fight like "From Hero to God" and not "From Zero to Hero" and you'd like to be able to kill anything on lvl one and to make it easier by developing you character! Oh then you've tried to play wrong game, go any have fun with your EoS and leave Gothic series to real hardcore gamers!
    It's not that much of a review because my fellow Gothic lovers already said it all, I'm just here to defend my all time favorite game series! and a vital part of my childhood!
    Take care fellow Gothic lovers and enjoy Gothic games even more (if possible :P)!
  31. Sep 17, 2013
    Fresh and very appetizing approach to the RPG. Great game, and I remember as if it were a moment ago exploring the mining colony in 2001. One of the best games I've played.
  32. Oct 11, 2013
    BEst RPG of my child hood) it took so many hours back then to finish and had sooooooo deep effect over my inspiration that I am styll thankfull to Piranhas for such a grate time)
  33. Jun 11, 2014
    King of RPG. Great story filled with characters you like and hate. Three unique fractions. Open world full danger and tresures opened to player right after start.
  34. Aug 3, 2014
    Gothic is quite a hidden gem of the RPG genre. I didn't play this when it was first released back in 2001, but even today, 13 years later when I discovered it, it's still amazing, fully enjoyable and a very unique fantasy RPG experience. Really good world design, it's not overly huge like some other open worlds, but it's big enough to give you lots of freedom for exploration while it still feels very compact. Keep i mind this is an RPG still from the day and age where there wasn't much hand-holding for kids, so it's quite challenging in places and that's always a good thing which strengthens your satisfaction after the final completion. I really enjoyed the world, story and atmosphere Gothic provided and I'm looking forward to play Gothic 2. 9/10 Expand
  35. Nov 29, 2013
    I think these negative critics because of the controls (of course they are not SO helpful) are ridiculous.
    THAT GAME is what a real RPG should be like. It really f***s you at the beginning, but after ca. 3 hours of playing it and a lot of deaths you know the "language" of the game.
    Then you understand, that 95% of the characters gives A on you, but that it´s possible to impress them, if
    you learn, that it´s better to run away from an orc when he sees you and gain your experience somewhere else, until you have enough skills one day, to kick that orc bast***´s ass where it came from.

THAT´S a REAL Role Play Game in MY eyes, isn´t it?
  36. Sep 14, 2014
    Yes, I've read the reviews. Yes, I know it's been 13 years since this game was launched... but, I simply was not prepared enough for a disappointment like this. My problem with this game are not it's graphics or visuals effects (I didn't came here looking for that) but the whole game mechanics... and I think that has nothing to do with the launching date.

For the past 7 hours I've been
    trying, really hard, to play this game and the only thing I feel is frustration. For what I can see, the story seems pretty decent and attractive, but the absurdly hard to play combat system and controls, along with the lack any of help to understand how to do the most basic of things (from grabing an object on the floor, to trading, read a map or equip weapons) just prevents me to get into the story.

Whenever I try to accomplish a small mission, I get killed again and again by the most small and dumb creatures just because of the difficult combat mechanics: it's not about the keyboard (you can just easily change it in order to use WASD instead of the default keypad arrows setting) but the complex use of the keyboard to hit, and above all that: the inability of the character to keep the target centered.

Once I got somehow somehow accustomed to this way to manage the keyboard, then I got into the world map: I've been running up and down the whole world trying to get to an specific point, but it seems impossible: I just can't remember the way I got there and now all possible roads appear to be full of really hard to kill beasts and enemies. Then, it's starting to get dark... and there's nothing you can do to put your character to sleep in the wilderness, so you just basically have to stand up there, waiting for the sunrise to come.

I really don't understand how this game has so many high reviews. I respect the people that think that it's the best RPG they've ever played and frankly the story seems really nice. Don't hate me, I just can't get into it.

One last piece of advice: I'm running this game on a Windows7 64 machine. The only way I managed to even start the game without crashing, was changing the gothic.exe file to run in Windows XP compatibility mode.
  37. Feb 24, 2014
    For me, Gothic is one of the best games of the RPG genre. It is immersive, have a deep atmosphere, the story-telling is great, the graphics looked excelent and it was so much fun! One of the best things about this game is that the character wasn't actually a hero. It was aprisoner, a nobody and he was treated this way. Superb! I am so tired of the hero-syndrom of which the RPG genre suffers so badly. Could we have a character who is not a chosen one by the gods, prophecy, etc., please? Could we have a character that is in real danger everywhere outside of cities? Thank you for Gothic! You are playing a random nobody about whom the world is not evolving. Oh thanks for that! And when the hero finally starts to be a hero, it is because he got so much better himself! I can't recall virtually any flaw of this game apart from the character control and sometimes frustrating combat system. Expand
  38. Apr 2, 2014
    The atmosphere is awesome due to overall great voice acting and great music.
    Quests are not repetetive and you always do something meaningful...and when not then your hero gets angry fast ;) Generally the scripts for voice acting are just awesome...they fit so beautifully in this world!
  39. Apr 23, 2014
    It is the best RPG I ever played. Everyone should visit the brilliant world of Gothic. Good old ruhrpottquality (the game was delevoped in Bochum, Germany).
  40. Aug 5, 2014
    Game completed 9 times, last time was half year ago and for me game is still awesome after you get used to old style controls and graphic (1-2 hours) ;)
  41. Nov 22, 2011

1. With a novel, large and intricate set of societies, coupled with excellent graphics and sound, Gothic becomes one of the most immersive and believable single-play adventure/RPGs ever.
  2. The 3D engine looks unbelievably good! The surroundings are impeccable, and bear a surreal and depressive atmosphere. All the objects and buildings look just as great.
    Decent graphics and a well-developed storyline. It also has a great amount of replayability, as each time through the game could yield different experiences with different choices.