8.2

1. Jan 31, 2014
    As a huge fan of the Tropico series, I absolutely love this game. When I found out the Tropico devs (Haemimont Games) had made a couple of similar games set in Roman times, I was intrigued. I've now spent more time playing Imperium Romanum and Grand Ages: Rome than the Tropico series.

First off, the graphics are phenomenal. No longer are city building games confined to the graphics of
    the past, yet apparently no one is familiar with this game, unlike say, the Caesar series. What an outcry! I can daydream for hours at the highly detailed art. This game does a truly amazing job at re-creating the Roman Empire, at least visually.

People who say this is "just another city building game"... yeah, because so many city building games have a focus on actually planning out neighborhoods via small AoE radii... not. My experience with the "just another city building game" is carelessly throwing down a building wherever you have room. Grand Ages: Rome is WAY deeper than that. You can build poor neighborhoods, rich neighborhoods, mixed neighborhoods, and every kind of neighborhood has its own rewards and challenges to maintaining a high level of satisfaction. But you reviewers probably play the game for an hour at most and think you can somehow learn all the little nuances a game has in that time? Keep dreaming. You guys get paid to sell your own pathetic opinion, but truth is, in the eyes of a Simulation and City-Building game fan, this game is one of the greatest things to be released in the last five years.

Shame is, most people who would like this game are going to miss out because of a) bad reviews and b) an idiot publisher that marketed it as a 4x game and not a city-builder.

Definitely recommend trying it out if you enjoyed Tropico, however.
  2. Jan 31, 2014

Definitely recommend trying it out if you enjoyed Tropico, however.

1. The motivating RPG part, the good graphics and the family revenge story make Grand Ages: Rome a real competitor to "Caesar 4."
  2. Looks like Rome was ahead of its time: raw materials weren't transported, they were teleported. At least that's what happens in Grand Ages: Rome, because the focus of the game is not on building effective transportation. Instead you need to build an efficient economy. This can be quite motivating if you enjoy being rewarded for your city planning.
  3. The developers seem to have learned from their previous mistakes and have implemented some rather extreme but useful changes into Grand Ages: Rome. In technical respects the game may convince, although the user friendliness would still need some improvement. However, for those interested in this kind of game Grand Ages: Rome is a good choice nevertheless.