6.7

1. Sep 7, 2013
    Graphics are pretty nice and battles are truly gratuitous. Just watching the comm chatter from the ships is funny. I find being able to design and build your ships from scratch the most enjoyable part and I spend endless hours testing and building ships. I always wanted them to change it so that you can control the ships in battles and finally they have.
    Please note some old reviews
    Please note some old reviews might mention the absence of in battle control which has now changed!
  2. Aug 4, 2011
    I love this indie game which allows me to fulfill my childhood fantasy. Players set up their fleets from designing individual ships from a huge selection of subsystems to setting up strategies, formations and orders. Then all that is left is to push 'play' and watch a magnificent space battle unfold on its own without the players' control.
  3. DAViD
    Nov 22, 2009
    Great idea, well executed. Very clever in the way that the game play is mostly hands off but still incredibly strategic and tactical. I've found myself endlessly tweaking designs and ship placements. Needs more... more levels, more ships and more items.
  4. Jun 21, 2011
    Amazing space combat simulator with lots of customisation and hugely addictive qualities. One of those games that - if it's your thing - you'll be playing for months after purchase.
  5. Jul 11, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant. For the low price I think it an excellent sci-fi strategy game. Simple and exciting the campaign adds depth and allows players to conquer the galaxy in this not too serious space shooter.
  6. Jun 1, 2012
    Excellent game. There are a ton of space strategy games, but this one takes a completely fresh and (imho) fascinating approach by removing battle-control entirely and making it really a game of fleet design and real strategy, rather than frantic tactical mouse clicking. The real key to getting the most from the game is to go back after you have won and try to design the smallest, cheapestExcellent game. There are a ton of space strategy games, but this one takes a completely fresh and (imho) fascinating approach by removing battle-control entirely and making it really a game of fleet design and real strategy, rather than frantic tactical mouse clicking. The real key to getting the most from the game is to go back after you have won and try to design the smallest, cheapest fleet possible, but which can still achieve victory. The game is a tinkerers heaven, and the frankly excellent graphics are just the icing on top. Highly recommended. Expand
  7. JasonH
    Jan 20, 2010
    A graphically stimulating game that relies on my imagination without treating me with as much respect as one would treat a mouse attached to an electrode that had to figure out which button to push to get the cheese, and which button not to push if it does not want to be painfully shocked? You gotta be kidding me! A game that rewards you for decisions as opposed to button pushing skills A graphically stimulating game that relies on my imagination without treating me with as much respect as one would treat a mouse attached to an electrode that had to figure out which button to push to get the cheese, and which button not to push if it does not want to be painfully shocked? You gotta be kidding me! A game that rewards you for decisions as opposed to button pushing skills is refreshing, and restores my faith in humanity, frankly. Well done sirs! Expand
  8. JamesAH
    Nov 22, 2009
    A wonderful game for those of us who enjoy designing our own units and watching them get blasted/blast other units to bits. There's a good variety of weapons, armor, shields, power plants, etc, to give you plenty of options, but not so many it get's overwhelming. Great replay value, I love trying out new ship designs and playing the online challenges. The only big letdown is the A wonderful game for those of us who enjoy designing our own units and watching them get blasted/blast other units to bits. There's a good variety of weapons, armor, shields, power plants, etc, to give you plenty of options, but not so many it get's overwhelming. Great replay value, I love trying out new ship designs and playing the online challenges. The only big letdown is the online play. One would think you pit your fleets against others in a live online game,, with allies or in a free-for all mode, one instead plays against fleets that other people have saved and uploaded online. While not horrible, it adds little to the game. A great bonus you rarely see, is a game with NO loading points, not even upon start-up, no unskippable cut scenes, and a game designer that not only listens to people's suggestions, but implements them in patches that actually add content, not just fix bugs (though it looks like this game will have an expansion pack coming out for it that will cost money.) You can go into the games official forums, there's a suggestion section, and you can see the game designer commenting on people's ideas. It's wonderful. Overall, a fantastic game, if you like this sort of thing. Totally worth the $20. I just hope it gets some great multiplayer action where several people battle at once. Expand
  9. May 21, 2012
    Just another example of how DLC can ruin a game. If you don't buy it with all it's DLC at once, you're left feeling like you ordered a pizza and only three-quarters of it is in the box when it is delivered. This is pure and simple disabling features for a game you already paid for and twisting your arm to pay for them again.

People who are obsessively detail oriented or anal retentive

People who are obsessively detail oriented or anal retentive will enjoy this game more than some, I think. A great part of the game is fiddling with ship designs -- and I was surprised at the distance between starting the game and actually engaging in a ship battle when I first began playing. For what the title seems to be offering, that's almost silly.

Better titles out there -- Master of Orion 2 came out YEARS before, it's ship design was deeper, more interesting, less complicated, and more elegant and nuanced. All that, AND the space battles in MOO2 didn't HAVE to be gratuitous. Get that title instead.
  10. Feb 6, 2012
    This game is amazing, and is one of the few amazing games that target a very specific audience, thus if you are in that audience, you will LOVE it, if not, you will not like it. I am happy to find another one-in-a-million games that is actually expirementing in their gameplay (I'm talking about you, hardcore FPS's!). Just be carful to try the demo or watch a video first. I shouldn't needThis game is amazing, and is one of the few amazing games that target a very specific audience, thus if you are in that audience, you will LOVE it, if not, you will not like it. I am happy to find another one-in-a-million games that is actually expirementing in their gameplay (I'm talking about you, hardcore FPS's!). Just be carful to try the demo or watch a video first. I shouldn't need to tell you that much about it, you can tell about it by playing the demo. It's like a natural filter. People who hate it wont look at the demo, and likely won't buy it. however, people who Apriciate True Gaming Art, will look into it! Expand
  11. Jan 31, 2013
    this is a very good game, especially with the expansion packs. I mean this is a very good game, with only one thing that just falls under the category of glitch. I recommend for many people!
  12. Vas
    Jun 29, 2014
    This is pretty much a battle simulator, there isn't that much to do during battles. But you can set up advanced orders and fleets to try to take out enemy fleets. Challenge your friends even to defeat your fleet and earn new weapons and unlocks. I'd say it is worth the current price. It is entertaining and kills time.
  13. Mar 26, 2015
    A well balanced, straightforward space combat simulator with customizable starships. A good value if you can pick up the game and all of the DLC on sale.
  14. Mar 12, 2014
    First of all I'd like to say this is possibly the most balanced game ever made, on par with Team Fortress 2. There is no perfect fleet, everything has a weakness but by exploiting one in the enemy fleet, you'll be leaving one open for the next. Secondly it's very well optimised. I could run this just fine on a laptop who's processor was a hamster in a wheel. However there isn't much toFirst of all I'd like to say this is possibly the most balanced game ever made, on par with Team Fortress 2. There is no perfect fleet, everything has a weakness but by exploiting one in the enemy fleet, you'll be leaving one open for the next. Secondly it's very well optimised. I could run this just fine on a laptop who's processor was a hamster in a wheel. However there isn't much to it; you won't sit down and play this game for days on end but you can jump in and out, you can play it for an hour every day and it won't get dull. The process is a bit like that children's Mouse Trap game, where you set up the pieces and watch as the whole thing falls apart. Then you refine it and try again... Expand

1. Dec 23, 2010
    I do like Gratuitous Space Battles. I think it's a great concept, beautifully presented. I just wish it would let me like it more.
  2. PC Gamer UK
    Imperfect spaceship engineering and asynchronous online dueling combine to deliver a flawed star. [Dec 2009, p.94]
  3. Gratuitous Space Battles manages to strike a respectable balance between casual gaming and deep, engaging strategy.