9.2

1. Feb 20, 2015
    This game is Tim Burton's Batman. This game is Da Vinci's Mona Lisa. This game is Tim Schafer's magnum opus. The king of adventure games. There is a remastered version out now - in case you've missed this gem.
  2. Feb 1, 2015
    Pros: really fantastic atmosphere and music, a lots of humour and hilarious story with adorable characters.
    Cons: impossibly hard puzzles, the control scheme is far from perfect
  3. Dec 16, 2014
    Potentially even better than the famed Monkey Island games. Although they made this genre famous by bringing it to the masses, in hindsight, this game represents their pinnacle to me. The ultimate product of their golden age. This game is a film noir styled game which touched me much like watching a very good movie, or reading a good book. It lingered for a long time within me even after IPotentially even better than the famed Monkey Island games. Although they made this genre famous by bringing it to the masses, in hindsight, this game represents their pinnacle to me. The ultimate product of their golden age. This game is a film noir styled game which touched me much like watching a very good movie, or reading a good book. It lingered for a long time within me even after I had finished it. It finds beauty and comedy in themes that are traditionally not beautiful nor funny. That it stands without a sequel is somehow illustrative of the kind of game it is: there can be no two highest pinnacles, only one. Expand
  4. Oct 16, 2014
    If you only buy one PC adventure game, strike that, one PC game, no one electronic game period, this should be it. There is no other game which so clearly excelled in use of structure, interface, music, 2d art direction, voice talent, scripting at both character and plot levels to create an imaginative world which is once familiar and accessible, and at the same time thought provoking andIf you only buy one PC adventure game, strike that, one PC game, no one electronic game period, this should be it. There is no other game which so clearly excelled in use of structure, interface, music, 2d art direction, voice talent, scripting at both character and plot levels to create an imaginative world which is once familiar and accessible, and at the same time thought provoking and full of humor. No tired old sword and sorcery rehash here. This is the ONLY video game that has achieved the level of fine art in all respects. An unforgettable experience. Forget all others: LucasArts had a complete failure of nerve due to this game: it went over its initial market audiences' head. This is the only game on any top gamers list that is commendable for actual grownup adult play. Expand
  5. Sep 6, 2014
    I remember a long time ago buying a gaming magazine that came with a demo CD, on this CD there was only one demo that I really liked and had to finish many times over and it was called Grim Fandango. I immediately went and bought the retail version as soon as it was available in stores near me. I don’t know how many hours I must have played this game over the years but the original retailI remember a long time ago buying a gaming magazine that came with a demo CD, on this CD there was only one demo that I really liked and had to finish many times over and it was called Grim Fandango. I immediately went and bought the retail version as soon as it was available in stores near me. I don’t know how many hours I must have played this game over the years but the original retail is now scratched and in non-playable state, it has been used in so many computers and different CD/DVD-drives over the years that it’s pure miracle that the CDs worked so long as they did. The noir feeling and voice acting is done so well that you simply must play this to believe it. Keep in mind that this game is old now but has aged reasonably well and if you are still able to get a copy of it somewhere I would say you won’t be disappointed if you like the genre. This is one of those rare jewels that you find once in a decade or two. The characters feel ‘alive’ or ‘dead’ depending how you look at things, they are done so well and the story is absolutely captivating so you want to continue and get to the next place where it takes you. I just wish there was more of games like this and there would be as much attention to details today as there was back in the day. There is now a real possibility that this game will be re-mastered to some platforms later on near future and if this is true I will be one of the old fans that definitely will buy this one again. Expand
  6. Aug 20, 2014
    This game has everything. I can safely say this is my favorite game of all time. It's got a fantastic ambiance, unforgettable music, compelling, funny and witty characters, excellent writing, superb voice acting, a perfect story, hard puzzles, a very lenghty "campaign" (I guess that's what kids would call it these days), tongue in cheek references to noir movies, the Dia De Los MuertosThis game has everything. I can safely say this is my favorite game of all time. It's got a fantastic ambiance, unforgettable music, compelling, funny and witty characters, excellent writing, superb voice acting, a perfect story, hard puzzles, a very lenghty "campaign" (I guess that's what kids would call it these days), tongue in cheek references to noir movies, the Dia De Los Muertos tradition and other Lucas Arts games.

This game was everything that used to be exciting and great about the video games industry. The pinnacle of the point and click andventures. Even with its clunky controls and out dated graphics, this is still the funniest, greatest game I have played until today.
  7. Jun 12, 2014
    Grim Fandango is simply the best graphic adventure game ever created, along with Monkey Island I & II. Awesome setting, well written characters, challenging enigmas. It never got the popularity it deserves, but I can assure it's a masterpiece.
  8. Jan 29, 2014
    Absolutely awesome and classic quest with perfect storyline and interesting characters.It is the Land of the Dead,old jazz country with weird creatures.Let's see what present will you have after your death!
  9. Jan 28, 2014
    I could detail the premise, of how this is about Manny and his journey through the land of the dead, but I don't want to unveil any spoilers whatsoever. Simply put, this game is just... sensational.

I can't write enough superlatives for it. It's timeless too - every bit as enjoyable to play in 2014 as it was upon release. No game has come close to being as atmospheric, as complete an experience since. The definitive title in a golden age of PC gaming. It took the foundations laid by the exceptional Monkey Island series and expanded on it to create a storytelling experience that is as close to faultless as gaming can get. The art style is sublime and perfectly pulled off, utterly timeless, and the ambient soundtrack is as good as anything you can imagine. The whole thing is just seamless, a work of absolute genius from a very talented game studio. You are pulled into the world from the onset and it doesn't let you go.

The puzzles are excellent, if sometimes a bit contrived but not overly so as to detract from the gaming experience. Everything is logical without being too easy, whilst managing to be challenging yet not impossible. The sole issue with the title is that you look at all other games in an unfavourable light next to it. As in it can ruin gaming for you in the long term, as you end up using it as the benchmark for everything else. An insanely, impossibly high benchmark.

Make no mistake, this is the quintessential PC gaming experience. You owe it to yourself to pick this game up. The hype doesn't do it justice. Just... get it, seriously. Make it work on a modern system, do whatever you can to invest your time into it. It's a life changing title, one of the greatest of all time and I wouldn't argue with anyone who calls it the single greatest game ever made. So good, that no other point and click adventure could measure up to it afterwards. So good, that at certain times you can't help but actually applaud it. I mean physically clap. Incredible.

If you've ever played a FPS and thought, "is there something a bit more to gaming than this?"... well, here's your answer. Please, please, please play this game.
  10. Oct 9, 2013
    Easily in my top 3 adventure games of all time. Clever puzzles, great atmosphere, dialogues, dark humor and an amazing soundtrack. There is no way you won't like it. It's a masterpiece.
  11. Aug 19, 2013
    Immersive and hopelessly addictive. This left an indelible mark on my teenage years. This game is in my hall of fame, along with Myst and the Curse of Monkey Island.
  12. Mar 12, 2013
    One of the best graphical adventures as well as Monkey Island and The Longest Journey! The plot is amazing, you will love the characters and the ambience is great
  13. Nov 22, 2012
    This is, without a doubt, and as other reviewers have stated already, one of the greatest games ever made. It left an impression on me in a way that very few games ever had before, or have since. I have replayed it countless times. The plot is nebulous, compelling and exquisitely woven. The art style and aesthetics are beautiful, and fit perfectly in every scene, as does the musical score.This is, without a doubt, and as other reviewers have stated already, one of the greatest games ever made. It left an impression on me in a way that very few games ever had before, or have since. I have replayed it countless times. The plot is nebulous, compelling and exquisitely woven. The art style and aesthetics are beautiful, and fit perfectly in every scene, as does the musical score.
    Look for critical reviews (from a time when they actually meant something) for a more in depth look at this game. For my own part, all I will say is that anyone who has not played this game is missing out on one of the greatest gaming and storytelling experiences I have ever had.
  14. Oct 30, 2012
    One of the greatest PC games of all time, this game does not age and I mean it, I am just telling you to go and play Grim Fandango and witness its amazing Story, Soundtrack and Atmosphere, the characters are memorable and the voice acting is great, this game contains Tim Schafers amazing witty humor and some good puzzles, 2d lovers get over it please, Monkey Island and DOTT are myOne of the greatest PC games of all time, this game does not age and I mean it, I am just telling you to go and play Grim Fandango and witness its amazing Story, Soundtrack and Atmosphere, the characters are memorable and the voice acting is great, this game contains Tim Schafers amazing witty humor and some good puzzles, 2d lovers get over it please, Monkey Island and DOTT are my favorite games and I will put Grim Fandango up there with them, this is a great game and still has the adventure feel to it. Get ResidualVM and play this game now Expand
  15. Jul 1, 2012
    One of the most amusing games I've ever played on PC. It's a creative adventure game heavily influenced by classic noir films and the Mexican "Day of the Dead" traditions. It's packed with intermittent dark humor. As a kid I mostly played games on my brother's old NES, SNES or Genesis, or my PS1 or N64. This was one of the first games I really enjoyed on a computer and for that, and forOne of the most amusing games I've ever played on PC. It's a creative adventure game heavily influenced by classic noir films and the Mexican "Day of the Dead" traditions. It's packed with intermittent dark humor. As a kid I mostly played games on my brother's old NES, SNES or Genesis, or my PS1 or N64. This was one of the first games I really enjoyed on a computer and for that, and for its own merits as a well crafted video game, Grim Fandango will always have a spot in my heart. -Warning. I've not played this game in about ten years, I have no idea if it has aged well or not. Expand
  16. May 29, 2012
    The Best of the Best. Soundtrack is beyond above average. The story line and twists are far beyond the imagination of the motion picture industry. As the story continues you start to fall in love with the characters and this transforms this tricky and challenging game into a rewarding journey. There is a great demand for a sequel.
  17. Jan 30, 2012
    Забавно смотреть - одни олдскульщики. Нет малолеток - нет низкихЗабавно смотреть - одни олдскульщики. Нет малолеток - нет низких оценок. Expand
  18. Nov 15, 2011
    A true classic in every way. Just installed the game again after having not played in over 10 years and it still feels like new. This, along with Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max, will never grow old.
  19. Nov 15, 2011
    Probably my favorite game of all time. Great story and characters. I cant believe its 13 years old now. I really hope they make a sequel. Probably wont happen though.
  20. Oct 15, 2011
    buy or die. you must get this old game that would probably be the best old pc game ever, and best non valve pc game. get it however possible...

97%
  21. Aug 29, 2011
    Virtually all LucasArts Games at the time this title was released are amazing. Grim Fandango is no exception. Incredibly creative, funny and challenging. It creates its own atmosphere and you miss it as badly as you miss playing the game itself. A work of art!
  22. Aug 7, 2011
    Grim Fandango was one of the most ambitious adventure games Lucas Arts made in the 90s and it does succeed in its noir theme, style, ideas, story and character arc. HOWEVER the control scheme of Grim Fandango is bad, VERY bad, its clumsy and ill suited to an adventure game, even with a controller. The choice to have such a bad control scheme may have come due to the decline of adventureGrim Fandango was one of the most ambitious adventure games Lucas Arts made in the 90s and it does succeed in its noir theme, style, ideas, story and character arc. HOWEVER the control scheme of Grim Fandango is bad, VERY bad, its clumsy and ill suited to an adventure game, even with a controller. The choice to have such a bad control scheme may have come due to the decline of adventure games and the need to make game playable on a console but it doesnt change what is still crappy, slow, awkward and causes some frustration while playing, particularly when you think to what this game could have been with traditional adventure controls. Having said that the story of Grim does make up for it as the atmosphere is pretty awesome and Manny Calivera is to this day one of video games greatest characters. Grim Fandango has one of the best stories in gaming but slapped up in an adventure game with crappy controls. Of course its playable but it does screw up a masterpiece. Expand
  23. May 27, 2011
    A very entertaining game.
    IF you can get it to work that is... There is a hyper-threading (whatever that means) issue reported by some multi processor users, including me, causing crashes and such, and it's a bit of a headache - but once you get past that! you will be glad you did;
    A very entertaining game.
    It's a very funny portrayal of the afterlife - narrated by the comedic hero Manny as you guide him through his adventures in the Land of the Dead.
    I played through this game years and years ago, popped it in again just recently for kicks :D and it still kicks hard.
  24. Dec 26, 2010
    12 years old and i still enjoy playing this game. Probably one of the best lucas arts games of all time. A sequel would be legendary. A definite must have for any pc gamer.
  25. ashkank
    Dec 10, 2009
    GF Best Game for ever this game have good story gameplay , and fantasy character , and nice nice music . my best GAME 1998-2009 is GF
  26. JonasR
    Nov 27, 2009
    Epic game, over ten years later and it is still awesome. The game has not aged all that well, but the story that is in this game is still top notch.
  27. Sam
    Oct 22, 2009
    a movie and a painting meshed together and made interactive. i played it 4 years ago, 10 years after it was released, and i still can not believe how i missed this jewel all these years. truly an EPIC game.
  28. AidenS
    Oct 7, 2009
    One of my favourite games of all time. The characters, dialogue and setting are all brilliant and the story genuinely kept me going. If you can, get and play this game.
  29. glulm
    Aug 28, 2009
    My favourite adventure game by Lucas Art, right before The Curse of Monkey Island. The universe and the characters are so unique and have a great design. Also the soundtrack by Peter McConnell is simply one of the best game soundtracks ever made for a video game. Not to mention they fit perfectly well with the overall atmosphere of the game. Definitely a game that should be reedited My favourite adventure game by Lucas Art, right before The Curse of Monkey Island. The universe and the characters are so unique and have a great design. Also the soundtrack by Peter McConnell is simply one of the best game soundtracks ever made for a video game. Not to mention they fit perfectly well with the overall atmosphere of the game. Definitely a game that should be reedited nowadays, as it tends to be difficult to run it on newer Windows version. Go Lucas Arts, update your great past titles! Expand
  30. .gbrl
    Mar 21, 2009
    a work of art. the fact that this game was a comercial failure, and the subsequent departure of the graphic adventure genre (at least from the mainstream) serves to prove the decline of today gamers ability to recognise a good game.
  31. [ANONYMOUS]
    Mar 3, 2009
    this is one of the best PC games ever made only beaten by half life 2 and diablo, but then again those are two completely different games.
  32. JoshNoel
    Feb 19, 2009
    Games don't come much better this. One of the most immersive game worlds I've ever seen.
  33. Sindow
    Jan 7, 2009
    When I first played this game it was one of the most amazing gaming experiences of my life. Ten years later and nothing has changed.
  34. utahhans
    Dec 28, 2008
    A classic in PC gaming. You can not call yourself a gamer until you experience the frustration and love that is this game. It is a very very very very challenging game, but it is well worh it for the games rich story and humor.
  35. MarkC
    Aug 31, 2008
    This game is 10 years old and my god, back about 8 years ago when I played it, those were the best days of my enitre life. It's the most memorable game ever created that has lead my life to what it is now. Truly brilliant. I'll never forget it. It basically changed who I am and what I was interested in.
  36. OlegO.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Simply one of the best adventure titles out there.
  37. TomW.
    Oct 28, 2007
    A game of pure genius and eagles on pogo sticks.
  38. JonathanR.
    Oct 28, 2007
    This is one of the most immersive and innovative games ever made. I hadn't heard of it until seeing it on the PSN store, and I was blown away by the demo. I knew I had to buy it, and I'm so glad i did :D. I have the PSWii60 and this is the only game I have played since I bought it and everyday I can't wait to come home to play it!
  39. SimonS.
    Sep 13, 2007
    This is everything you could want in a game, it has story, substance and great gameplay. Its amazing to be frank.
  40. HarryB.
    May 27, 2007
    I really enjoyed this game, the cool jazz music and noir movie style really landed on my soft-spot. The graphics are of course outdated but the art style offered still maintains it's charms. Some puzzles in it are difficult and sometimes illogical, making the game difficult to finish without a guide, unless I just wasn't paying attention. But in the end I decided it was good.
  41. RobsonB.
    Jan 16, 2007
    This is the best game in the world!, really amazing, and i will keep waiting for a second version of this game!!!
  42. Timmah
    Nov 19, 2006
    What I remember best about this super-slick adventure game was the sardonic humor that came out of left field and slapped you silly with it's wonderful tming and ability to match the punch line with the absurd visuals. Either the way the gag filled the in between moments, keeping the pace fresh by funny, such as when you had to scare pigeons off a roof with a balloon animal and one What I remember best about this super-slick adventure game was the sardonic humor that came out of left field and slapped you silly with it's wonderful tming and ability to match the punch line with the absurd visuals. Either the way the gag filled the in between moments, keeping the pace fresh by funny, such as when you had to scare pigeons off a roof with a balloon animal and one of the things you twisted the balloons into was Robert Frost, the poet. Manny's dead-pan frustration matched ours as we struggled with what to do with that mess, "Run Pigeons! It's robert frost!" In a tone we knew would never work. Or when we enter the dead land for the first time and meet our busy secretary who has "A lot of filing to do" which is more of a joke, since she's a skeleton and after she makes the joke, realizes she has no nails and quietly puts the file away before we have a chance to call her on it, brilliant. There has not been a game like this since, can lightning strike twice? Expand
  43. JonathanD.
    Nov 3, 2006
    I've played 4-5 games a month for the past 15 years. This is the best one I've ever played.
  44. RyckaV.
    Jul 15, 2006
    Very nice game.
  45. AlexeiB.
    Jun 26, 2006
    My favorite game of all times.
  46. DanW.
    May 9, 2006
    Still holds the #1 spot on my list of all time greats, 8 years on. Oblivion and even the wonderful HL2 are but flashes in the pan - Grim Fandango is one of the few games that will truly live forever.
  47. PedroZ.
    Apr 22, 2006
    Without any doubt THE best game ever done, not only among adventure games, but among all game genders (action, adventure, startegy, etc...). And yes, I'm writing this on April 2006 (8 years after its release) having a top of the line gaming system that allow me to play all the newest games (including half life 2) in all their glory. But still they fall short when compared to Grim Without any doubt THE best game ever done, not only among adventure games, but among all game genders (action, adventure, startegy, etc...). And yes, I'm writing this on April 2006 (8 years after its release) having a top of the line gaming system that allow me to play all the newest games (including half life 2) in all their glory. But still they fall short when compared to Grim Fandango. It is just simply a masterpiece. Expand
  48. meTric
    Mar 25, 2006
    This by far is one of the best games I have ever played. The story is that of a great movie script. I almost want them to make a sequal but then again I don't know how this game could get any better!
  49. PauliV.
    Nov 8, 2005
    Very great and funny game, love it. Hope to see grim fandango 2 someday.
  50. AleksiS.
    Sep 17, 2005
    Most immersing, beautiful, artistic and ambitious adventure game ever made. A great tribute to film noir, Art Deco and South American folklore, this the best game I've played.
  51. PeterO.
    Aug 29, 2005
    What a journey, few games can change the way live your life this did it kept me on my computer for nearly 3weeks, I may be abit slower than average to complete this game but it can be tricky, the characters are so lntriguing and the story is always twisting, I hate role playing games, but this is so well done you just have to find out what will happen next. when films are turned into What a journey, few games can change the way live your life this did it kept me on my computer for nearly 3weeks, I may be abit slower than average to complete this game but it can be tricky, the characters are so lntriguing and the story is always twisting, I hate role playing games, but this is so well done you just have to find out what will happen next. when films are turned into games they are usually rubbish but if you turned this game into a cgi film, forget shrek this would be a monster of a sucess. play this game, its that simple. Expand
  52. Jesse
    Jul 27, 2005
    This is by far the greatest PC game ever made. Hopefully a Grim Fandango 2?
  53. IlpoV.
    Jul 13, 2005
    The best game ever made. The atmosphere and the characters make you feel like you're watching a great movie.
  54. Patrick
    Apr 19, 2005
    Still the best adventure game I've ever played, and like poor Dave, lost my copy in a horrible accident. Even after beating it 3 times, would still pay the money to get it back.
  55. JeffB.
    Jan 16, 2005
    It was not a game that was revolutionary for bringing something new to the tale. It was revolutionary becaue it was a perfection of a genre. Is there any wonder why adventure games as we knew them died? They couldn't get any better.
  56. WilliamN.
    Mar 19, 2004
    Not the most beautiful, not the most challenging, but quite simply the most FUN of this genre.
  57. Dave
    Feb 24, 2004
    The saddest thing about this game is that I lost it and can't play it RIGHT NOW! ARRGHH!
  58. Sam
    Jul 26, 2003
    One of the most timeless games ever. one puzzle in particular is a little too hard, but this game has eveything. puzzles, an intriging story, great voice acting, everything. i hope and pray a sequel/prequel will arrive someday, but no one will that this away from us.
  59. MikkelA.
    Jul 5, 2003
    You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll rejoice as you follow Manny and his trusty sidekick on their epic journey. Everything, story, graphics, humour, soundtrack, characters and puzzles have never been done better. Period. This title is the only I have ever seen that surpasses Monkey Island II and Beneath a Steel Sky. And does so in every respect. A must have for any fan of... You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll rejoice as you follow Manny and his trusty sidekick on their epic journey. Everything, story, graphics, humour, soundtrack, characters and puzzles have never been done better. Period. This title is the only I have ever seen that surpasses Monkey Island II and Beneath a Steel Sky. And does so in every respect. A must have for any fan of... well... games. Expand
  60. Michael
    Jul 3, 2003
    I loved this game and actually cried after I finished it during that last cutscene on the train.
  61. SemiquaverPentameter
    May 22, 2003
    a) This game actually came out in 1997, but oh, well... b) I love this game. I have bought it 42 dozen roses and carried the box down the aisle of the game store humming the wedding march. I made a small shrine to it in my bedroom after I finished it. This is a brilliant game. Oh, yeah, great site, too. :-D
  62. CrazyMonco
    Apr 17, 2003
    This game made me cry when I found out there was not a second one.
  63. Guy
    Mar 24, 2003
    The best adventure game ever made.
  64. DannyP.
    Feb 26, 2003
    Still one of the best adventure games, although it came out a few years ago!
  65. GrimRules
    Oct 24, 2002
    I've gotten tired of playing PC games but if a Grim Fandango 2 came out - I would buy it in a heartbeat.
  66. Bryan
    Oct 8, 2002
    I loved this game. One of my favorite games of all time.
  67. MannyC.
    Oct 7, 2002
    Not only THE best game of 98 (yes, better than Half-Life), but one of the best games ever made.
  68. Dec 26, 2010

1. The large cast of characters is unforgettable. Although for the most part they are skeletons in 40s garb, with mask-like faces that can be attributed to Day of the Dead festivities, their personalities render them as distinct and memorable as members of an extremely diverse cast from any fine film.
    Hands down the best adventure game we've ever seen...You'll love Grim Fandango's incredible art, storyline and character development.
  3. Quite possibly one of the top five adventures of all time, and certainly in the Top Ten. The style, atmosphere, wit, creativity and inventiveness are what makes Grim Fandango remarkable.