7.3

1. Aug 11, 2013
    Timeraider's Review Time:
    Dust
    2d sideview platformer/massive fighting Gamplay: 9/10 Graphics: 8.5/10 Performance: 8.5/10 Problems/bugs/glitches: 8/10 Storyline: 9/10 Emotional attachment/ general immersion: 10/10 General score: 9/10 Additional comments: I am usually not the guy to play sideview fighters, especially chaotic ones. However this game it deserves everything.
    Timeraider's Review Time:

Storyline: 9/10
    Emotional attachment/ general immersion: 10/10

General score: 9/10

Additional comments:
    I am usually not the guy to play sideview fighters, especially chaotic ones. However this game it deserves everything. The graphics are great and fit the gameplay.. not to detailed and slightly cartoony, while maintaining the resolution and graphical advancements found in the newer games.
    The gameplay is great it has nice performance on even weak PC's and the game just feels very smooth. Pressing 30 buttons per second will happen, but it wont show even the slightest microstutter on the screen.. its all fluid and smooth.
    The storyline is very immersive (ive heard people actually pinked away a tear and i myself felt touched at some moments to so far) and the game keeps you in a tight lock im known for never finishing games, which is a trait alot of gamers suffer from. However since ive started playng this game im stuck to the screen and will certainly finish this (will be my third pc game ive ever finished in the last 8 years (others were Trine 2 and.. Star Wars Battlefront 2 i believe)...

This was my short recommendation. If you want a full review.. sorry but i dont do those.
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    The game is really fun. Just got it and played for an hour. It totally got me hooked. As a metrovania style lover, the game basically has everything I need: challenging platforming, check; non-linear level, check; tons of unlock, check; backtracking value, check.
    The combat can be a little stiff at the beginning. But after learning more moves and getting used to the control, it's a lot of fun tossing bad guys around.
    Plus, the art design and music is pretty unique. As a 2D game, it's pretty enough. The lack of voice acting is a little disappointing though. The characters may do some pretty hilarious things while talking. But players have to stare on the subtitle for the whole time.
    Overall Guacamelee really worth my money. I suggest to buy it in the first week. You got 10 percent discount and another game from the studio as bonus. Absolutely increase the value.
  3. Jan 2, 2014
    Love it! Shadow Complex meets Super Meat Boy. Illustrations and Colors are perfect, might be the best looking 2D game in a long time. If you find the combat or bosses in this game difficult, perhaps you need to train more at the 2D gym with the rooster.. which I did... then I dominated. Like SMB, there's going to be some Extra levels (outside of the game story) that will make you loseLove it! Shadow Complex meets Super Meat Boy. Illustrations and Colors are perfect, might be the best looking 2D game in a long time. If you find the combat or bosses in this game difficult, perhaps you need to train more at the 2D gym with the rooster.. which I did... then I dominated. Like SMB, there's going to be some Extra levels (outside of the game story) that will make you lose your mind. The only thing that sorta' pissed me off were the precise timing of moves (for extra levels) that don't necessarily work perfectly with an analog controller, but with repetition is doable. Expand
  4. Nov 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Funny and entertaining game from the seas of humor and great gameplay, plus amazing sound and music makes this game even more special atmosphere and gives players to immerse themselves in a funny world. Definitely 10 out of 10 points to the measure of indie games. Verdict-great! Expand
  5. Sep 30, 2013
    Guacamelee! Gold Edition, is arguably the best of the many modern metroidvania games released recently. While other modern metroidvanias tend to favour combat and RPG elements, Guacamelee instead focuses on providing satisfying, yet interesting and puzzle-like combat, along with many thought-provoking platforming puzzle sections. It's clear that Drinkbox know their game mechanics, and mostGuacamelee! Gold Edition, is arguably the best of the many modern metroidvania games released recently. While other modern metroidvanias tend to favour combat and RPG elements, Guacamelee instead focuses on providing satisfying, yet interesting and puzzle-like combat, along with many thought-provoking platforming puzzle sections. It's clear that Drinkbox know their game mechanics, and most puzzles and combat scenarios are perfectly designed around use of the many game mechanics, an example of one being dimension switching, a mechanic which is used to great effect throughout the game. If Guacamelee does have flaws, though, it has to come with the obnoxious internet memes, the length of the game (clocks in at, like, 7 hours), and the fact that opinions on the game are easily subjective. Collapse
  6. Aug 13, 2013
    Guacamelee combines a huge swath of the best game mechanics ever devised, stuffs them into a barbacoa burrito and will punch off your head with such velocity that the blood will rocket from your neck and propel your lifeless body all the way to Phoenix.

No really, it's Cartoon Sushi of the best of everything. Metroid, Zelda, Earthworm Jim, Castlevania, Smash Bro's, Portal, Gunstar Heroes and countless more inspiring titles; there are so many great classics represented here in the most genius subtle tamale pie bake of all their fine elements, I'm left speechless. Yet, it's completely fresh and unique and adds to that cadre with its own twists. It's unbelievably addictive and so much deeper than I ever would've guessed.
    Quick list of amazing traits.

Art Gorgeous. Samauri Jack meets Nacho Libre. You have to simply experience it. The visual cues are perfect.

GamePlay Breakneck and satisfying. I can't say more without spoiling it. Attention to detail is thicker than molasses. It takes some skill but jaw dropping things will result.

Story Classic. Few games can pull off this simple story, hit a grand slam and do it with style to spare. Imagine Zelda Mario Portal Earthworm Jim Okami all smashed together.

Sound You want 5.1 surround. Crank it. Bring Tequila.

Control The depth, speed and responsiveness are so well done the only problem I found was remembering how much beat unmerciful you have at your disposal. Definitely my favorite aspect.

Overall Great wholesome, scream-at-your-screen-in-ecstatic-frustration-because-you-were-so-friggen-close FUN.

This would've been an instant 90's classic giving the likes Sonic and Crash a run for their money.

Also, co-op, though I haven't had a chance to experience how insane that must be.
    The only con I have found is it leaves you wanting more. However, replay-ability, yup it's got that. I would wager a bet this would be a smash at parties w/ co-op.

There are a lot of good side-scrollers coming out these days. This is one of the best.
    Absolute 10/10
  7. Sep 12, 2013
    Guacemelee is a very well made and gamed 2d platform. The game is very amazing. The graphics for a 2d platform standard are good. The levels are challenging and fun. Nothing more to say. A good game anyways.
  8. Dec 30, 2013
    Amazing platformer with a very polished atmosphere. The learning curve is well balanced, however, the game becomes pretty hard at the end. Personally, I think that in the past few years Guacamelee! is the best in its category. You should not miss it!
  9. Feb 1, 2014
    Guacamelee represents all that is good in indie games. It has excellent references, looks phenomenal, and has one of the funnest game play models I've seen in an indie game since Castle Crashers.

Definitely worth the play. I've had more fun with this than I've had with some of the recent AAA titles that have been released in recent years.
  10. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is amazing. The music and art style are both captivating. They work together well to create an unforgettable and unique experience.

The platforming at many stages is downright genius in that it will not only make you think, but often allow you to piece together a platforming solution on the fly. It is an intense experience that is not hindered by difficulty. It's corny and

It's corny and humorous at times, which gives the game a personality all it's own. The game is downright charming.

This game also does not forget its roots and knows it's fan-base. It has plenty of Easter eggs that pertain to it's inspirations, which will only add more flavor and appeal to those that like this kind of game.

A must have for anyone who likes fun.
  11. May 16, 2014
    This is the best game of it's general type i have played in ages.

It's good mix between fast paced combat and clever platforming challenges. Combat: This is the real heart of the game. Your move set is a little like Captain Falcon from Super Smash Brothers, and you get to have a lot of fun knocking enemies into the air, setting up the best combos, interrupts, dodges, etc. It gets a
    This is the best game of it's general type i have played in ages.

It's good mix between fast paced combat and clever platforming challenges.

Combat:
    This is the real heart of the game. Your move set is a little like Captain Falcon from Super Smash Brothers, and you get to have a lot of fun knocking enemies into the air, setting up the best combos, interrupts, dodges, etc. It gets a little frantic and can be frustrating in parts because you can't just mash through, you have to pay attention to enemy attacks and work proactively. The difficulty does get quite high, especially if you are playing hard mode and going through some of the optional content. There are many 'arenas' as part of the regular gameplay where you walk into a room and the walls close and you have to fight through several waves of enemies to progress. These increase steadily in difficulty, and later ones you will probably die at least once to learn the tricks you need to progress. However, it is pretty fair about death: you only have to restart the waves.

Platforming:
    Really standout, you have a pretty intuitive and familiar set of abilities that you can use platforming, but many of the puzzles are very clever, especially some of the challenging optional content. The platforming elements reminded me very much of Metroid Zero Mission, especially some of the optional parts. The difficulty for each section can get quite high, but is never insurmountable especially since there is very little punishment for failure (usually just restarting the section you are on).

There are cute retro game references, the music is really pretty fun, and I grew to really like the graphics (I wasn't really into the subject matter and it won me over). It is probably a little racist (I was mildly offended by some of the Mexican stereotypes) and really quite sexist (you are saving a damsel in distress, the main female villain's motivation is that she is jealous and short tempered) but it didn't really hamper my enjoyment of the game. The plot is secondary to the amazing gameplay, it's just a shame.

This is still the 2d game I have enjoyed the most in at least a decade, it's also the first steam game I got every achievement for. Even after having a perfect hard mode file, I still come back to play it because I find it so enjoyable.
  12. Sep 23, 2013
    such a great game i enjoyed this game so much great gameplay great music and great graphics it is actually perfect i played it without the Gamepad and i didn't encounter any problems a great classic game
  13. Aug 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Guacamelee isn’t only pretty to look at, it’s also a hell of a lot of fun to play. Its Metroidvania inspiration is strong, and yet it does so much to help it stand apart, not the least of which by providing us with a deceivingly deep combat system and a two-world polarity system that simply makes the experience more dynamic. Expand
  14. Aug 18, 2013
    Great game, even though it's a bit short, and doesn't offer much replay value, apart from a "hard difficulty" mode.
    But if you're looking for a metroidvania game, starring a Mexican wrestler with great music (Rom Di Prisco) and atmosphere, look no further.
    Combat is fun, challenging but never unfair, controls are decent and the level design keeps it interesting till the end, with increasingly difficult puzzles and platforming.
  15. Sep 8, 2013
    An absolutely amazing Metroidvania platformer. It has extremely rewarding and challenging platforming elements, a really innovative beat-em-up combat style, and a really interesting integration of combat abilities with platforming challenges and Metroidvania-style locks. Also the music, art, and luchador theme are hilarious and wonderful. I loved this game.
  16. Oct 14, 2013
    Guacamelee is simply the best platformer I've played in quite a while. The graphics, sounds, and soundtrack are spot on for the world. Generally I'm not a huge platromer but I found this one immensely fun in all the classic sort of ways. The bosses were just challenging enough with being a pain and the combat is very satisfying with good feedback to the user. The only thing that wouldGuacamelee is simply the best platformer I've played in quite a while. The graphics, sounds, and soundtrack are spot on for the world. Generally I'm not a huge platromer but I found this one immensely fun in all the classic sort of ways. The bosses were just challenging enough with being a pain and the combat is very satisfying with good feedback to the user. The only thing that would have been nice for the PC version would have been re-bindable keys for those who don't own controllers, cause if you don't... you might end up hating this game. Expand
  17. Jul 19, 2014
    Guacamelee! Gold Edition is an absolute joy to play. With its great Mexican atmosphere, great story, great animation and great and smooth combat, Drinkbox Studios made a great Mexican game with great melee combat!

Guacamelee has some of the best atmosphere environment/scenery I have ever seen, with its transition from the living world, to the living of the dead like in Mexican tradition, to its great Mexican music, it really made me happy how much the atmosphere was put together well! The story is great and really made me happy seeing the comedy written in the story, as well as the great cultural references and game references like Castle Crashers and the troll face, it really made me smile and laugh

The animation reminds me of the classical Disney and DreamWorks animations like Aladdin (from Walt Disney Animation) and The Road To El Dorado (from DreamWorks SKG) and many other great classical animations. The combat is smooth and very satisfying, reminds me like I am playing Dust: An Elysian Tale which also has great and smooth combat

The only thing I was not really happy with is that the game is best played with an XBOX controller which I don't have and the controls especially on the keyboard are really awkward at first, but after getting used to them you will easily play through with the game, plus I did not enjoy the shift in difficulty, first the game is fun and enjoyable, next it is frustrating and you have to keep on retrying which kind of put me off, also I was dissapointed that as I heard the Main Storyline is really short (round about 6 hours) which I was surprised, but if you do finish all of the side quests the game should finish between 13-15 hours

BUT with all of its greatness and some problems, you HAVE to, not should, you HAVE to get this game, sadly there is no Multiplayer Co-op but only offers Local Co-op

Oh! Also, after 2 hours or so into the game... you get to play a chicken! OMG NEXT-GEN!!!
    What's next!?! Moving fish!?!
  18. Nov 30, 2014
    It's a pretty good game. But it is a little short and the camera is very stressful. The controllers are also good with X box 360 controller not rec pc
  19. Sep 30, 2013

1. Jan 30, 2014
    It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but the amount of care and polish that went into this title is readily apparent.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    A delight. [Dec 2013, p.95]
  3. Oct 3, 2013
    The PC edition of Guacamelee comes with all the extra content that has come out since its initial release and with all of that lovely, Mexican craziness.