Guild Wars 2 PC

• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Aug 28, 2012
    The game has stepped one hundred feet in the right direction for the genre and this is something that the genre has been awaiting for a long time.

The inclusion of actual, dynamic dodging and attacking. The combo system that allows you to combo with your friends... its all amazing. People who are claiming no end game need to realize that this is and always has been a pvp driven

People who are claiming no end game need to realize that this is and always has been a pvp driven universe. The fact that you can jump in at max level and pvp with your friends is amazing as is the WvW system where you fight other servers.

The combo system and dynamic ability to switch weapon sets during combat, along with the co-op style combo system makes PVP VERY skill based, rather than other MMO's face-smash style of fighting.

If you are a fan of PVP, get the game. NOW.

The story still has flare and is fun to go through when learning how to play your class and the mechanics of the game.
  2. Aug 28, 2012
    I gave this game a ten because I feel that it was money well spent. 60 dollars for the cleanest RPG experience in an MMO. If you hate the Xobx live kids, or the trash talking low lives from various MOBA, FPS, and other competitive MMO, you know that GW2 staff is ready to squash these babies.

The company has character and integrity. They believes strongly in their product and policies and has thus far stuck to their message. There's communication between Arena net's staff and the GW2 community, and the communications have been civil and constructive.
  3. Aug 28, 2012
    I've been around gaming for a long time. And this is the game I have always been waiting for (well at least a 1st step) a living breathing world for me to explore and interact with.
  4. Jan 31, 2013
    Absoluty,insanely bad, boring, repetitive, pointless game. Glad I could sell my account to another poor soul. Bleh. Arenanet is a horrible company and the whole game concept is full of fail. The cutscenes are as ugly and boring as the game.
  5. Aug 29, 2012
    I don't understand the nitpicking from the reviews previously posted. This game is phenomenal. First off: this game looks amazing. Not amazing because it looks incredibly realistic, but because of the art style that the developers chose to pursue. I'm not entirely sure what some of these other authors were looking for in terms of graphics but quite honestly, either they're playing aI don't understand the nitpicking from the reviews previously posted. This game is phenomenal. First off: this game looks amazing. Not amazing because it looks incredibly realistic, but because of the art style that the developers chose to pursue. I'm not entirely sure what some of these other authors were looking for in terms of graphics but quite honestly, either they're playing a different game or are playing on a very outdated rig. From distance, structures and landscapes look like concept art. The idea is amazing. When's the last time you played an MMO with the graphics of Crysis? I'm not trying to say that Guild Wars 2 is a leader in the category, but it certainly does NOT fall short.

As far as connectivity issues goes, I played all throughout the three day head start on a mediocre internet connection and had very few problems. Even such, this was the smoothest launch that I've been apart of (Cataclysm, Diablo 3, Tera, Rift). Giving this game a 1 rating because the pre-launch head start was a little rocky? That's a bit critical. You're not even paying a monthly fee to play the game and you're still complaining. I absolutely hate the idea of rating a game based off of other reviews, but unfortunately I feel the need to counter out the unneeded negative reviews given by authors who obviously have other problems with the game. I would otherwise give the game a 9.
  6. Aug 30, 2012
    DE's arently really innovative. They are basically the exact same questing system as any other MMO except ANET does a decent job of hiding it. Instead of having to accept quests you just do them. It's streamlined but still incredibly repetitive. You either kill things, collect things, or protect things. Sometimes raising the heart bar requires you to just click on an object and that's it.DE's arently really innovative. They are basically the exact same questing system as any other MMO except ANET does a decent job of hiding it. Instead of having to accept quests you just do them. It's streamlined but still incredibly repetitive. You either kill things, collect things, or protect things. Sometimes raising the heart bar requires you to just click on an object and that's it. Which feels kind of lazy. "Light this torch." (Click) Done. It's not all that fun after awhile and it's not very interesting except when you have some sort of story line tied into it that affects the environment. And that's another problem I have.

I wouldn't have a problem with the repetitiveness of the game if the whole "Persistent" world thing were more persistent to begin with. I wanted to affect the world and feel like I'm doing things important. But most of the time I revive or free a prisoner just to have them end up in a freaking cell after 30 minutes. What the heck is up with that? Repel the damn wave just to have them come back an hour later? I felt like a hero when I revived the dead quaggan in the water but felt like a chump when I realized they just die again. I know ANET resets these things so that everybody could participate but they shouldn't have made it seem like things would persist for a long time when it really doesn't. One of the biggest reasons why I play video games is for the cinematic story experience. Games like Mass Effect 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 are the types of cinematic quality I
  7. Dec 22, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is incredible. I was a huge fan of the first Guild Wars and this game definitely lived up to the hype for me. The world is vast, beautiful, and extremely detailed. The graphics are rich and vibrant. The quests, events, and puzzles are fantastic and very unique. The branching personal story lines are all very engaging, and the PvP is addicting as crack. I love these people thatGuild Wars 2 is incredible. I was a huge fan of the first Guild Wars and this game definitely lived up to the hype for me. The world is vast, beautiful, and extremely detailed. The graphics are rich and vibrant. The quests, events, and puzzles are fantastic and very unique. The branching personal story lines are all very engaging, and the PvP is addicting as crack. I love these people that are saying that this is "just an average Rift clone." How is it in any way a Rift clone? Because it has public events? Guild Wars 2 took a successful concept and refined it, fleshed it out more, and made it their own. It's called innovation. They are not copying Rift, they are simply taking a page out of Rift's book and expanding upon it. That's how things make progress. I would also like to mention that several of the issues that people were complaining about and thus gave this game a "0" are all fixed. Guild Wars 2 is the most preeminent MMO to be released in a long time. Do yourself a favor and pick it up. Expand
  8. Jan 6, 2013
    Being a long time mmo player i knew i needed to try Guild Wars 2 has they add promised to deliver a dynamic world where questing didin't felt like a shore and your actions changed the world, but did they achieve it?
    Well after playing it for hours i can safely say yes, yes they did.
    Gameplay: This is not you typical mmo combat system, in Guild Wars 2 you get a new set of 5 skills in
    Well after playing it for hours i can safely say yes, yes they did.

Gameplay:
    This is not you typical mmo combat system, in Guild Wars 2 you get a new set of 5 skills in each different type of weapon and an additional 5 skills (one of which is an elite skill) which you can customize depending on you class.
    The combat itself is a mix between action oriented(Tera Online/Raiderz) and a typical mmo (WoW/SWTOR). If you use an ability that swings your sword and you have more then one enemy around the game will recognize and you will damage all the enemies, however you dont have to aim the abilities like in Tera.
    The problem i have with most mmo's gameplay is the combat not feeling fluid and the animations of said abilities lagging behind, this however doesn't effect Guild Wars 2, all the abilities have different animation and they all sync perfectly.

Graphics:
    The graphics of Guild Wars 2 didin't impress me all that much but they have to take into account that the game must perform well with hundreds of players on screen like WvWvW. While the graphics aren't the strongest point the game compensates with a beautiful artstyle across all zones.

What to do?
    Like the ordinary MMO you have PvP and PvE. As for PvP there are two types, WvWvW(World vs World vs World) and sPvP (Structured PvP). You can do both of this at level 1, WvWvW is a massive battle between 3 servers with points to capture across a huge map divided into 3 zones and sPvP is the typical Battlegrounds that we are used too from others MMO which can be played competitively.
    The PvE of Guild Wars 2 consists of 5 Man Dungeons, Dynamic Events and the personal storyline.
  9. Nov 27, 2014
    Game Support is **** I buy the game download it. First time to log in. "Account has been suspended" Like WTF? Try to contact support but guess what.. no telephone number. This company is **** and this game is **** DO NOT BUY
  10. Nov 27, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 progresses the MMO genre. There's no grind, there's collaboration galore, a wealth of PvP, and quite possibly the most scenic game I've ever laid eyes on. I'm constantly bewildered by its beauty, and fun. Buy this game. Get in a big guild. Play WvW, play sPvP, get in dungeons, play live events...etc, etc, etc,etc,etcet,cet,
  11. Dec 12, 2012
    I've been playing Guild Wars 2 almost everyday since release, and I love it. I don't think I've enjoyed playing a game this much, especially exploring and completing dungeons with friends. I would have to consider this my favourite game. The reason I'm not giving it 10/10 is because it still has its problems.. It was incomplete on release, several bugs which still exist now, crappy loot,I've been playing Guild Wars 2 almost everyday since release, and I love it. I don't think I've enjoyed playing a game this much, especially exploring and completing dungeons with friends. I would have to consider this my favourite game. The reason I'm not giving it 10/10 is because it still has its problems.. It was incomplete on release, several bugs which still exist now, crappy loot, the progression has left everything empty except fractal dungeons and I don't believe the classes are evenly balanced (Warrior). I haven't had much experience with MMO's to compare GW2 with anything else (quitting through the beta of SWTOR is about it). There is definitely a grind aspect to the game, however they do a decent job of covering it up and give players options and experience towards that goal. Despite its issues, Guild wars 2 is beautiful and enjoyable with unique classes and races with a variety of areas to explore. There are a number of dungeons to participate in which can challenge and frustrate players. This game is definitely worth its money for casual and experienced players giving them flexibility of how they want to play. Expand
  12. Sep 2, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is what an MMORPG is supposed to be. The standard questing system of kill # of monster or gather # of resource is not present here, at least, not present in its familiar form. Yes, you still do kill # or gather # of objects, but ArenaNet have cleverly hidden these objectives in the form of a public questing system. They have taken out the ho-hum grind of doing these quests inGuild Wars 2 is what an MMORPG is supposed to be. The standard questing system of kill # of monster or gather # of resource is not present here, at least, not present in its familiar form. Yes, you still do kill # or gather # of objects, but ArenaNet have cleverly hidden these objectives in the form of a public questing system. They have taken out the ho-hum grind of doing these quests in the form of Heart NPCs. You get Xp for nearly anything you do, from crafting to just exploring. While the game does have a few problems, mostly with the auction house, it is still a very fun, very social game. The game is full of surprises. You can pass an area hundreds of times and still find that there are things you missed. The world is colorful and alive with NPCs talking with one another about different events. Everyone can revive one another and has their own personal heal. I won't say Guild Wars 2 innovates, but I will say they have vastly improved on a genre which has long been stagnate. I almost forgot to mention; the game is NOT free to play, nor is it pay to win, it is however buy to play with the option of paying in the form of a gem shop, which I have experienced first-hand. The boosts which people have fretted over for so long are of such little consequence that it don't matter whether or not you have them. You can perform just as well without them. They're so insignificant in fact, that most of the time, I forget to even use them. If you want a great, social game with interaction everywhere and you want to do in in a world teeming with beauty and life, get this game, it is well worth the money you will pay for it. Expand
  13. Aug 31, 2014
    The more I play this game the less I like it.
    i am primarily PVP orientated.
    Every class has been balanced damage/healing/tanking so that it can fill any role. Healing is grossly underpowered and DPS is king. Stuns and snares override any ability to fight and it becomes who can cc the best. World PVP is subject to the numbers of players on each side. If side A has more players it
    The more I play this game the less I like it.
    i am primarily PVP orientated.

World PVP is subject to the numbers of players on each side. If side A has more players it has a distinct advantage over Side B. If you are on a side that is losing, people become discouraged and log out making it almost impossible for the losing side to take control again. There are always stories of the small group that turns the tide with strategy, but, these events are relatively uncommon.

Scenario PVP is brutal, fighting is often over in a matter of a few seconds, usually a combination of cc and deathblow.

PVE is bland and droll, amusing at first, boring on repeat. Dungeons are the same.

Decent gear is easily obtained, legendary gear gives trivial advantages and just looks neat.

I loved Warhammer Online before they ruined it with horrible patches. This game is not recommended for a PVP player.
  14. Jan 18, 2013
    While ArenaNet has definitely succeeded in making Guild Wars 2 different to anything else out there, it has taken away some of the endearing qualities of the original Guild Wars such as a greater variety of skills and placing a greater focus on storyline missions. For newcomers, the game will keep you entertained for awhile but long-term enjoyment boils down to PvP, WvW and popular dungeons.
  15. Sep 13, 2012
    For Presentation they get a 10! There is detail in everything you encounter even the idle character animations.
    Graphics on a high end PC is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, true artistry! Not just higher polygon count or pixels.
    Sound is a perfect 10! The music and the ambient sound lures u in this fantasy world. Gameplay is by far the best offered in any game period! You got
    Gameplay is by far the best offered in any game period! You got strategy, fact action clicking, responsive moves, counter moves the combat actually feels alive! Not just stand there an spam 1 2 and 3...
    Lasting Appeal receives a 9! The world is huge and u like great exploring this world on a main character as well as on an alt. having different races and classes give me many month of enjoyment
  16. Sep 4, 2012
    I've played a good amount of MMORPGs, starting way back with Everquest and Ultima Online, and this is the first MMO since then to make me so excited to take it slow and enjoy the content.

Graphics/Art style: 10 Beautiful landscapes and tremendous cities make this game's environment the single greatest in any MMO to date. There is no doubt that a lot of heart and soul went into the

Graphics/Art style: 10

Beautiful landscapes and tremendous cities make this game's environment the single greatest in any MMO to date. There is no doubt that a lot of heart and soul went into the development of this game and it shows nowhere better than in the art.

Music: 8

The music is well composed and doesn't intrude on your play, but it isn't anything especially heart pumping or iconic, like some of the game's competitors.

Gameplay: 10

Though the combat can get repetitive, just as in any MMO, this game makes up for it with plenty of other things to do. Exploration is fun and rewarding, with many jumping puzzles and other landscape games. Crafting is rich and exciting, allowing the players to make great leaps in crafting skill with some careful planning and experimentation, rather than grinding out the same recipes until new ones become available. Mini-games are a great break from normal game-play. PvP is fantastic, fast paced at the small scale, and deep and strategic in the large scope.

Replayability: 10

With each race and class having a very unique playstyle and personal story, this game will easily give you hundreds of hours of new and fun content, at a bargain of a one time price.

Ultimately Guild Wars 2 has raised the bar on what it is to be a current generation MMO. While WoW will still retain it's loyal player base with it's tried and true style, Blizzard will have to make some groundbreaking changes to pull players away from this game. A great pickup for any fan of MMOs or RPGs
  17. Dec 1, 2012
    I love this game a lot, i don't find it boring at all as many people said. Graphically it looks like more Rift than other modern MMO. I could say GW2 and Rift are playing in same sandbox! There are thousand things to do: fight, climb, discover, craft, explore,... i don't have a HL character - my main is 32, that small but i never find time so short since i play GW2. I like to play alone,I love this game a lot, i don't find it boring at all as many people said. Graphically it looks like more Rift than other modern MMO. I could say GW2 and Rift are playing in same sandbox! There are thousand things to do: fight, climb, discover, craft, explore,... i don't have a HL character - my main is 32, that small but i never find time so short since i play GW2. I like to play alone, without guild or anything else and this MMO is so good for this. Public fights are great, copied on those exising in Rif Expand
  18. Sep 2, 2012
    This is the first next generation mmorpg un post wow era. Maybe you dont like the game per se, but in an honest view this game is by far a tecnical superior that all morpg games in actual market (yes, including WoW).
    A really MUST buy.
  19. Sep 10, 2012
    Game is great.
    People who complain about dated graphics aren't playing on high settings. Turn settings way high and you'll see its a great visual game. (requires as pretty decent rig)
    Game is great.

PvE and storyline is actually engaging. Most MMOs (IE FF11) you're wandering around having no clue what the point of your adventure is... not the case here. Definitely a good story line with plenty room for expansion.

PvP takes the cake. Very awesome. Try it to see what I mean. World vs World is awesome.

I give it a 9 because we're two weeks after release and still the trading post (AH) is up and down.
    I also give it a 9 because leveling is almost too easy. People are maxed out at lvl 80 already! thats obnoxious.
    I give it a 9 also because of the GEM STORE. Understand this is a free to play game, and they need to make money somehow. But I truly dislike games that add a store where players can pay to be the best at the game with little skill. Gem store allows you to buy gems where you can spend them on super equipment and timed exp boosters etc... laaaaaaame.

Overall great game though - very very well done.
  20. Sep 10, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a milestone in MMORPG history. With its dynamic quest content, it's giant world, it's wonderful artdesign, it's interesting classes and it's epic bossfights Guild Wars 2 is nothing like everything you have played before. Get ready to be blown away from this masterpiece. Five interesting and very different races, eight classes with multiple different approaches and a giantGuild Wars 2 is a milestone in MMORPG history. With its dynamic quest content, it's giant world, it's wonderful artdesign, it's interesting classes and it's epic bossfights Guild Wars 2 is nothing like everything you have played before. Get ready to be blown away from this masterpiece. Five interesting and very different races, eight classes with multiple different approaches and a giant battleground with 3 whole servers fighting against each other seal the deal. Expand
  21. Sep 10, 2012
    I always wanted to get distracted in an MMO. To get lost in its world. In Guild Wars 2, I am so lost and always distracted by everyday surprises. It has everything I ever wanted in a modern MMO.
  22. Sep 10, 2012
    One of the best game ever developed.
    The secret Jumping Puzzles are just amazing, a new feature in mmorpgs that should be added everywhere.
    I've been waiting this game since 2007 and i'm very satisfied.
  23. Sep 10, 2012
    There are too many characters in my review to post it here, so please check out my review at CURSE forums. http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/63286-guild-wars-1-vs-guild-wars-2/

Thank you!
  24. Jan 31, 2014
    Don't get me wrong, the game is good, but the way people were speaking and writing about it you would expect it to be the next huge evolution in the MMORPG genre. It is not.
    There are a few great improvements, such as "dynamic events" which let you join in on any world event regardless of your level (won't scale you up though). But if I am being honest this is more of a convenience than a major game changer, it simply makes it faster to run around and engage in the world rather than having to find a party/guild, etc.
    The gameplay/battle is standard cookie-cutter MMORPG fare from 2006. If you enjoy pressing tab to target, then your character auto attacks or you use a few skills till its dead, then this game will live up to your expectations. I will say the dodge system is a nice small change, but it only goes so far.
    sPvP is your standard capture points, etc. While the game brings a few new welcome changes to the genre, it in no way redefines MMOs. Dull target/autoattack engine from WoW 2006.

I spent about a month thinking over whether to buy this game, looking at gameplay, reviews, etc. I finally bought it on sale for $40. I was sorely mistaken. I had more fun with Terraria and I bought it for $2.50.
    Simply put, do NOT buy into the hyped up reviews from 2012 who reviewed it the day after it was released and use all sorts of nice words like "fantastic, amazing, beautiful, game-changer".
  25. Nov 28, 2012
    10/10 for me. Reason: - this is one of those few games where you don't rush to max level so you can finally have some fun, but are having fun from level one. There's no point to fit it all in one short review, so rather then doing that i'll outline the end result of all they did:

A game where whole world is a playing field, where even starter maps can pose a challenge to max level player, where there's ton of stuff to do everywhere you go. All that packaged with innovative, skill-not-gear based combat wrapped around if some of the finest sceneries mmorpg has to offer. This world lives, this world breathes, this world kicks ass! And finally a world where you don't dread the appearance of another player on the horizon but are encouraged to team up with him and double the fun in a party, as there are no penalties or losses of any kind for either of you when you hunt same monster and do same quest.

This game plays like some best singleplayer titles with mmo aspect not being subpar in the least!

And the cherry on top - no hidden money drainage inside. Unlike certain "game with horns and tail v3", you don't need to pump $ to get the best out of this game. Cash shop is present here but it's very fair and not p2w one. Mostly aesthetics and some usable items that drop also from monsters, or aren't critical for your progression.

Only people i would not recommend this game are the 1337 damage hoes that want 30x the damage of normal joe after months of grinds in highest level maps. This is not a game for you, gear counts, but skill>gear in here and GW2 is not about being the most elite on the server - it's about plain good uninhibited fun:)

As it is now it's honest 10/10 from me and i hope arena.net will keep it that way in the future;)
  26. Jan 3, 2013
    In all honesty, I regret buying the game. It was now for me, and quite possibly not for some people who gave negative reviews. I saw that the good things were "Dynamic events" "Revolutionary" and I really thought that these things would make me love the game, but instead it felt very repetitive and I was unable to cling to it. I must admit though that I enjoyed it at the start, but IIn all honesty, I regret buying the game. It was now for me, and quite possibly not for some people who gave negative reviews. I saw that the good things were "Dynamic events" "Revolutionary" and I really thought that these things would make me love the game, but instead it felt very repetitive and I was unable to cling to it. I must admit though that I enjoyed it at the start, but I slowly lost it. The only quest rewards are only coins, ranging from a few copper(4 copper) to some silver(3 silver and some copper). They didn't offer anything new to the kill x collect y thing, it's essentially the same except they put a progress bar instead of say 0/10 kills. The dynamic events were good at the start but I felt that they were just self activated quests with a timer. Also the events lack in variety, its all the same. It's usually killing a champion/veteran monster, kill hordes/waves of monsters while capturing this area, collecting a certain number of plants, escorting a dolyak/person and killing of some monsters. It's all the same. The armors too lack in variety and have to be either crafter, bought(karma,AH) or looted(looted ones are generally poorer in qyuiality compared to crafted or bought. The story is nice but could've been presented MUCH better. One good this about the game is Tyria. The world looks amazing and Tyria is beautifully crafted. The sound is also amazing. WvW is fun and PvP is statistically balanced. It's not a good game in my eyes, it's not a bad one either. It's just another game in the MMO cycle. Either to be remembered or forgotten. Expand
  27. Feb 5, 2013
    I've been waiting for this game for 3 years. Guild Wars occupied me extensively in PvE and PvP. Upon release, I maxed out within 4 days, certainly over playing. Recently going back to Guild Wars 2, I realize why I anticipated it for so long. When I was younger, I played Runescape, Shaiya, then Guild Wars. The difference between the 'classic MMORPG' and Guild Wars 2 is tantalizing. OneI've been waiting for this game for 3 years. Guild Wars occupied me extensively in PvE and PvP. Upon release, I maxed out within 4 days, certainly over playing. Recently going back to Guild Wars 2, I realize why I anticipated it for so long. When I was younger, I played Runescape, Shaiya, then Guild Wars. The difference between the 'classic MMORPG' and Guild Wars 2 is tantalizing. One could argue, "Oh, too bad the story line only took me days". However, MMORPG's are never finished. In Guild Wars 2, you're introduced to Dynamic Events which spice up the simplest exploration. The journey from "A to "B changed to "A to C to F to G to Y and finally to B". Without knowing, you are sucked into these events, immersed by the worldly effects the cause. Unlike classic MMORPG's, you would rather party up then have someone 50 levels higher than you storm into your boss battle, hit him once, and wait the 20 minutes for the respawn. In Guild Wars 2, levels are decreased or increased, depending where you are, so that no matter who you are playing with, you both have an equal opportunity to get the same great loot and XP. Like Guild Wars there are holiday events. However, ArenaNet has expanded upon this idea, constantly adding new content every month. From killing Karkas to following an Airship, to recovering lost memories. There is also the dungeons to keep you occupied once you've peaked at 80. There are constantly new challenges after you complete your story line. Overall, Guild Wars 2 has all the aspects of one hell of a great game. Expand
  28. Sep 28, 2013
    I wanted to try the free account offered by Guild wars 2, because I've heard of it many good things. Now I'm confused: the first thing was when I tried to download the installation file (25 gb) the net failed, and I had to try again from the begining I mean it's 2013, for God's sake. No pause, no nothing?
    After finally downloading it, I made an account, verified, and played a bit. Next day when I wanted to get on the servers, it asked me for authentication, an email that didn't arrive. I tried a few times, then tried logging into my account from a browser still no authentication email... I went to support, but I couldn't get a ticket, because I have no serial... So that was about it. Try it its free, but you won't get anything.
    About the game (to be correct, about the hour I could play with the game): This was my 1st MMO, I was always interested to play one, but I never had (or wanted to pay) the money for a subscription or the time. Now I think I didn't lose anything... Soulless NPCs walking around, I know that there would be PvP and stuff, with real gamers, but if I revive, heal or help someone a 'thank' would be a minimal effort. They get up and walk by like nothing happened.
    I have to climb up somewhere on a rock to get some egg, but the model is soo blocky. Quake 1 was way better. So it 'jumps', falls of course, and dies of course. Revive on resurrection point and walk back to try again. Gave up after 2 tries.
    It's like playing Gears of war after Skyrim or Assassins Creed, feels like you're a tank, not a human.
    If a baddie monster kills me I should do something to survive, but no indication what. What should I do, which button to press, etc, nothing. A little help would be great, but no. Although there's place enough to nag me to buy the full version. No, sir no!

The controls are dumb. Holding the right mouse all the time. Maybe I could get used to it, if it was worth it... But given the fact that I couldn't go back AND won't buy full after these experiences, I will never know...

Many user says here that this is the best MMO of all times. If this is true, then MMO as a game genre is just not for me.
  29. Jan 17, 2014
    Guild Wars 2 is the MMO that has been awaited for years. With an enormous amount of content, diverse quests, and an overall enhancing experience, Guild Wars 2 is a spectacle. The personal story is only average, but it isn't what the game is about. This MMO is a milestone for the genre; an achievement for the year, if not the decade.
  30. Feb 24, 2014
    Even though I no longer play Guild Wars 2, I still think it probably is the best MMORPG currently on the market. The developers got many things very much right and some of the mechanics are spot on. I spent very long time in this game, levelled one character to the max. level and explored a significant part of the world. The graphics look very nice, the combat system is extraordinarilyEven though I no longer play Guild Wars 2, I still think it probably is the best MMORPG currently on the market. The developers got many things very much right and some of the mechanics are spot on. I spent very long time in this game, levelled one character to the max. level and explored a significant part of the world. The graphics look very nice, the combat system is extraordinarily good for an MMO, crafting works pretty well, exploration is by far the best in the MMO genre and there is even a decent story telling. There is no monthly fee, yet the game is updated quite often. The atmosphere is mostly fine. If you play as a human that is. The other races have far less immersive setting in the starting areas. Some of the class quest suffered of bugs after release. Overall however, this game is outstandingly good. Expand
  31. Sep 9, 2014
    I love MMORPGs and especially PVP. However after leveling several characters to max level, and trying the PVP on this game...I cannot say I had one second of fun at all. It was completely boring. There was no sense of accomplishment. How this game is rated over a 3 is completely baffling. I simply cannot name one redeeming value.
  32. Oct 8, 2013
    From this game, you can tell GW2 is trying to evolve the standard MMO genre to be somewhat more engaging. So I'll try to cover the things it tries to add, that are a bit different from other games. Before I start, let me say that on a base level, GW2 does it well: balance, graphics, sounds, story, character creation, replay-ability.

Pros: - Somewhat customizable story line based on

Pros:
    - Somewhat customizable story line based on answers to different questions during character creation (leads to replayability among same classes/races)
    - Random large events that happen which everyone is free to join in (if you're passing by that area)
    - EXP for exploring, logging, mining, gathering and pretty much everything you do asides from walking
    - No subscription based billing, Buy to play (B2P) system no penalizing players that don't pay like F2P model often does
    - Continuously added content
    - Grouping for team quests is quite good and significantly improved
    - Dying and getting downed, doesn't necessarily mean you're down and out if you can kill an enemy and get back up
    - items do not give you so much of an advantage in playing, more rewarded for good play style and personal skill
    - ability to dodge attacks (sort of doesn't really always work)

Cons:
    - It would have been nice if you got to choose the first 5 skills related to each weapon/secondary weapon instead of being only able to choose the latter 5 skills (this was actually what made gameplay a bit too repetitive for me) yes you can swap weapons sets and this gets you more variety, but thinking high level, if I'm using a bow shouldn't I have more than 5 ways of shooting it...and be able to choose how to shoot it?
    - crafting was a bit tedious and difficult to figure out without an actual tutorial (I might have missed the tutorial somewhere in the game) downplayed by the fact that items didn't make or break your character really
    - the game tries to vary the quest a bit so that it's not just Kill X number of Y monster, but in the end was still quite repetitive (i.e. Kill X number of Y monster OR pick up X item and bring to Y location). If the individual quests were more like events, it would be much more fun as you'd have a sense of urgency to kill Y monster instead of counting each one and hoping you reach the amount required to end the quest
    - I'd probably would have like advanced classes to be included in the game as well (for variety), but I guess that's personal preference

Still a great game, with room for improvement. World is engaging, story keeps you entertained and is still a great MMO to explore.
  33. Nov 13, 2013
    I really liked Guild Wars (1). It wasn't the best of games but it had something in it.
    GW2 while improved and looking nice (not great, it could have been better) is missing that something that GW had.

I like what they did with skills and how they change according to what weapon type character is wealding but in a longer run the game was just boring.
  34. Sep 12, 2014
    Awesome MMO with Gorgeous art work worth every cent, the only thing that bother's me about the game is lack of pvp content and laggy World vs World. The content they add is always just dungeons which is a bore for me i'm a PvP fan all the way. They mix up the way you quest which is nice instead of pick up here return here its just go to area kill and completed.The fighting mechanics areAwesome MMO with Gorgeous art work worth every cent, the only thing that bother's me about the game is lack of pvp content and laggy World vs World. The content they add is always just dungeons which is a bore for me i'm a PvP fan all the way. They mix up the way you quest which is nice instead of pick up here return here its just go to area kill and completed.The fighting mechanics are the best of any MMO I have played and I have played a lot unlike wow you don't fall asleep doing low lvl dungeons. The cash shop is also pretty sweet you can buy everything with in game gold so you dont half to waste a penny if you love the game and play enough.

Worth $50
  35. Apr 12, 2013
    Best MMORPG since WoW and most diverse MMORPG since EVE.

Guild Wars 2 has A-LOT of good things going for it. I want to save potential Buyers of this game some time and just give you a summary of the good and bad that it has to offer! SO first, the good: - Best looking virtual world in terms of art and creativity. - Consistently fluid animation on nearly everything that moves. -
    Best MMORPG since WoW and most diverse MMORPG since EVE.

- Best looking virtual world in terms of art and creativity.
    - Consistently fluid animation on nearly everything that moves.
    - Excellent musical score.
    - Solid amount of options available when creating your character.
    - Fast paced, involving combat. Skill based to a degree.
    - Fun to play solo.
    - Fun and easy to play with a group.
    - Great PvE upto 80.
    - PvP and WvW are a blast. Easily the best PvP combat and options of any MMO.
    - Has a sense of Humor
    - No Trinity system to bog things down.
    - Every class is unique, self sufficient and fun to play.
    - No subscription fee.
    - No pay to win
    - Much better Community than you will find in WoW, SWTOR and Rift.

The bad:

- Story aspect is not very interesting.
    - Voice acting can feel stoic and lame. Too much cheese at times.
    - While PvP has plenty to offer as endgame content, PvE has much less in contrast. (Maybe add grindable Gear?)
    - Cultural Armors are inconsistent in their looks and appeal.
    - Tends to make you ignore important things in life. Like eating.

So there you have my little list of things I like and dislike about Guild Wars 2. If any of the good I mentioned interests you then do yourself a favor and pick up this game! After all, it is only a one time purchase
  36. Apr 22, 2013
    One of the best value for money games I've ever played. No monthly subscription means it's an MMO which you can choose when to play and you're not forced to log-in every single day. Live team were clever enough to spend the first few months fixing bugs and polishing existing content, along with adding a few new pieces. The only real downside I can say is that I need MORE of it. ExpansionsOne of the best value for money games I've ever played. No monthly subscription means it's an MMO which you can choose when to play and you're not forced to log-in every single day. Live team were clever enough to spend the first few months fixing bugs and polishing existing content, along with adding a few new pieces. The only real downside I can say is that I need MORE of it. Expansions please! 10/10 Expand
  37. Jun 3, 2013
    Played the game for about 2 months. The graphics are good but cared little for the gameplay. Did not like any of the races and the lore was meh. The one time purchase fee is a plus. Not much PvE and I am not a pvp oriented person.
  38. Apr 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This games is a modern MMO,it's fun to play there's 3 open world pvp servers(you fight Server vs Server vs Server)many structured PVP lobbies, the map is huge,the graphics are great.
    Guild Wars 2 has been since August 28(who pre order it)and i still love it.
    Your goal is to be strong to deafeat the Elder Dragon named "Zhitan" but there will be some events that you have to kill a dragon like in the human starting area you have a event to kill Shadow of Behemoth,when you kill the dragona you get treasure(i got Final Rest wich is a exotic staff weapon).The Monsters AI is good and the best part of this game is you dont have to do back tracking i.e you talked to a NPC wich wants you to kill monsters and then come back to him,theese things are boring stuff like Angryjoe said on his review,i will hightly recomend this game if you dislike Old School MMOS like WoW,EverQuest i dont recomend if you like Old School MMOS but give it a try when there will be a trial
  39. Jan 21, 2013
    Guild wars 2, good graphics, nice maps, fun dynamic events, and... that's about it!

Classes feel weird, too few skills to choose from and don't feel solid whatsoever, Spammable PvP is not really fun, WvWvW its just repetitive pug battles, and the worst of all, it has reduced camera Field Of View that reminds me all the bad quality games out there, which completely breaks the game experience.
  40. Apr 22, 2013
    This is one of the best MMORPG's of the decade. It has a lot of rich content, with random events popping up all the time, taking out most of the grind in the game. Its extremely balanced and there is no monthly fees. The quests feel natural and fun to do without getting tedious. This game is amazing and I recommend it to anyone who wants an amazing game!
  41. Apr 27, 2013
    Guild Wars 2 is by far the best MMO on the market, it is a revolution in the payment methods done for MMO's. With solid and realistic gameplay, awesome concept art on loading screens, a massive amount of customization and new events that Arena net make showing the fans that they actually care what we think! As much as I don't think the endgame is done very well it would be unfair to say asGuild Wars 2 is by far the best MMO on the market, it is a revolution in the payment methods done for MMO's. With solid and realistic gameplay, awesome concept art on loading screens, a massive amount of customization and new events that Arena net make showing the fans that they actually care what we think! As much as I don't think the endgame is done very well it would be unfair to say as I always find myself coming back to this game. Expand
  42. Aug 2, 2013
    This is a great game, I was a little overhyped at first but this a quality MMORPG with a really unique way to play it, it isn't for people who want to farm 24/7, it's more for the people who want to explore and get lost in various of activities in the world, I didn't play it much at launch, but 1 year after the release I can say that this feels like a great game and it has very solidThis is a great game, I was a little overhyped at first but this a quality MMORPG with a really unique way to play it, it isn't for people who want to farm 24/7, it's more for the people who want to explore and get lost in various of activities in the world, I didn't play it much at launch, but 1 year after the release I can say that this feels like a great game and it has very solid ground to grow on. I'm looking forward to how this game is gonna grow in the future. Expand
  43. Jul 30, 2013
    The game is constantly evolving. The world is changing and ArenaNet is doing something that has never been done before with its 2 week cycle of living game content. Not only does the extend the game past level 80 If you do not care for PvP or WvW), but it also is a genius move by ArenaNet to keep players logging in and buying gems for their store. The game is fresh, and the absence of theThe game is constantly evolving. The world is changing and ArenaNet is doing something that has never been done before with its 2 week cycle of living game content. Not only does the extend the game past level 80 If you do not care for PvP or WvW), but it also is a genius move by ArenaNet to keep players logging in and buying gems for their store. The game is fresh, and the absence of the holy trinity, spawn tagging, and loot steeling has completely quashed any and all player griefing. And if you like griefing...there's always WVW Expand
  44. Jul 30, 2013
    This MMO is the best out of every single one. I logged alot of hours in this game and I just love the secrets puzzles and the BOSS FIGHTS. HAVE YOU SEEN THESE DRAGONS IN ANY OTHER GAMES NO! They are the best boss fights I have encountered. Guild Wars 2 is easily a 10/10
  45. Apr 4, 2014
    Although good, very overrated. If you're looking for the next big MMO, this wont be it. It's a simple distraction which will last you about 200 hours max, which aren't always that fun. It is good value per money if you only account for the play time, although it is quite boring sometimes and if you want good value for your money that you will actually enjoy, just buy a single-player RPG.Although good, very overrated. If you're looking for the next big MMO, this wont be it. It's a simple distraction which will last you about 200 hours max, which aren't always that fun. It is good value per money if you only account for the play time, although it is quite boring sometimes and if you want good value for your money that you will actually enjoy, just buy a single-player RPG. It's overrated, since it's buy-to-play and doesn't require a 15 dollar-per-month subscription, although chances are, you're not going to play past that month anyways. Expand
  46. Oct 21, 2013
    This is a refreshing additon to the MMORPG genre. The devlopers have chaned almost everything since GW1 and have changed several of their design goals since launch, however, it is still a wonderful game. It has its goods and bads just like any other.
    Grinding for basic end game gear is minimal, but the option is there for a small bonus if you are addicted tot he farming aspect of MMOs. The WvW is fun and a unique experience, I would recommend finding a guild or leveling in PvE before trying it though, that way you don't die due to being outgeared.
    The combat is fun and dodging is refreshing. It is something you wish you could do in every other MMO but usually can't. The right click camera is a little weird, but there is an overlay that can change that if you are into Tera-like targeting. All in all, this game is fun, not perfect, but definitely not as terrible as some people say. Best MMO in a while,
  47. Oct 22, 2013
    Best game I've ever played.
    Best game I've ever played.
    To be precise I don't like MMO's. But this isn't another grind-centered MMO. It's a first real massive multiplayer RPG, where you have your story, you're making decisions, etc. Plus everything else is great: frequent updates, dungeons, community, even graphics, sounds and music are awesome for the MMO. When someone says that there are quests where you have to kill or gather something, be serious: what other things do you do in most games?
  48. Nov 14, 2013
    Sound: Great voice acting, nice memorable theme soundtrack. 10.

Graphics: Probably the best MMORPG graphics I have seen to date, alongside Rift. 10. Gameplay: This game is much different than your typical MMO. Its quests are all based on areas you walk into. So for example you walk to a farm, you get an objective list that pops up and as you work towards completion it fills a
    Sound: Great voice acting, nice memorable theme soundtrack. 10.

Gameplay: This game is much different than your typical MMO. Its quests are all based on areas you walk into. So for example you walk to a farm, you get an objective list that pops up and as you work towards completion it fills a heart on the map. There are map completions which require you to get certain things such as vistas, viewpoints, and etc., from each continent (which is how you level up). The game also lowers your level if you enter a zone lower than your achieved level. Which balances it out if you want to quest with a lower level friend. Dungeons do the same. The annoying aspect is that you may be a high level and still not be strong enough to finish that dungeon, plus it lowers your level. So it’s an interesting take, but at the same time a con. Samething with questing, after a while it gets way to repetitive but sure it’s like any MMO, but the thing is this games questing grows old on you much quicker. The game updates with special events like Super Adventure Box which pays a homage to classic Nintendo games, and is actually really fun. So overall it’s a great MMO but at the same time there are features you wish were in this game. The whole fact of having no support class really hurts the game (no healers for dungeons). Also, the dungeons are scattered all over the place, and the game could use a tune up for easier access to dungeons (such as ques). Also, there are no mounts what so ever but that’s because you can teleport to areas, but still that’s no excuse. Still a fun game, still worth picking up. 9.

Story: There’s heavy focus on story, it has some interest but that quickly fades away. The way the story is presented could be better. It’s mostly presented in dialog with only a few cutscenes. 7.

Replay Value: Definitely has replay value, it’s got PVP, world VS world (servers on servers), you will still get your money’s worth. 10.

Overall Score: 9.2 out of 10.
  49. Mar 4, 2014
    Best MMORPG so far. The best things in the game that count in score : graphics, background, personal story, living story and dynamic events. Teleportation points, vista, skill points, most jumping puzzles are good choices. We have 8 different class with some special bar per class Dungeons in scenario mode are relatively nice but need a certain level (80) and looking for group interfaceBest MMORPG so far. The best things in the game that count in score : graphics, background, personal story, living story and dynamic events. Teleportation points, vista, skill points, most jumping puzzles are good choices. We have 8 different class with some special bar per class Dungeons in scenario mode are relatively nice but need a certain level (80) and looking for group interface which existed lately. Dungeons in explorer mode is mush difficult and buggy. We can't do all 33 paths. We have also fractals with different levels. More accessible then dungeons at low level between 1 and 10. But after a certain level around 15 it is very difficult.

Pve is far better then pvp. pvp is unbalanced in general, maps smaller then pve and often the same and mush more lag. Their is 2 kinds of pvp : WvW and structured. WvW and structured pvp contributes like pve to the duration of the games. They are complementary. WvW is nice because you have to take castle, garrison, tour, camp in a raid group using siege weapons. Structured pvp is nice because we need to take control of places and need some group tactic. Structured pvp is disappointing because we don't have nice skins affordable for characters.

We have also a lot of activities for players how are bored from fighting.

We can have up to 5 guilds per account. Not limited members. 10 levels of responsibility. Guild craft and missions. Need to represents a guild to chat with every member

Game play : 8/10, graphics : 8/10, back ground : 8/10, lifetime : 8/10, sound : 8/10, community : 7/10, world : 8/10,

personal story : 8/10, dynamic events : 8/10, living story : 7/10, normal pve : 8/10, jumping puzzles : 7/10,

vistas : 7/10, teleportation points : 7/10, remarkable sites : 7/10, skill points : 6,5/10,
    yellow hearts : 5/10, achievements : 7/10

fractals : 6/10, mini-dungeons (Vexa Lab, etc...) : 6/10, dungeons in scenario mode : 6/10, dungeons in exploration mode : 5/10,

edge of the mists (WvW) : 7/10, wars of the mists (WvW) : 6/10, heart of the mists (structured pvp) : 6/10, activities : 5-6/10

craft : 7/10, trade (auction house) : 7/10, character customization : 6/10,

races : 7/10, classes : 7/10, mini-pets : 7/10, pets (ranger) : 7/10

skills : 6/10, attributes : 6/10, fights : 5/10,

titles : 5/10, guilds : 5/10,

swim : 7/10, jump : 6/10, dive : 6/10, climb : 6/10, dodge : 6/10
  50. Jun 4, 2014
    Pretty fun game, especially with friends to play it (like all MMO's duh..)
    Imo for now the best MMO around especially considered price/content level and quantity.
    Found the story entertaining, but for a deep understanding you need to know the lore of the first game too. The world is new and keeps evolving, the quality of the updated wasn't top notch at first, but it's steadily growing
    Pretty fun game, especially with friends to play it (like all MMO's duh..)
    The world is new and keeps evolving, the quality of the updated wasn't top notch at first, but it's steadily growing as the game get "experience".
    Not a game for gear grinders nor people that want a set "goal", you play gw2 because you like the lore, the roleplay, having fun with friends and helping others.
    It still need many improvements like for pvp modes and maps (they're starting with them recently), update's structure and some more feature wich were announced at launch yet had to be took down for fixing and polishing (some of them just returned recently) .
    This game deserves an 8 or 9 imo, yet i'm giving it 10 for the potential that is shows and that it's gradually being expressed and for the nice community that manage it (sometimes they're too kind, especially with bosses etc but it have it's hard content too)
    If you wish to buy it, do so when there's some discount...the price is pretty honest and it's permanent..i mean, you might just wanna buy it for later of play it for a while and then return, the game will always be there for you :D
    Moreover season 2 of the living story is about to start, it seems promising and fun...let's hope for the best :)
  51. Jun 4, 2014
    The game is amazingly beautiful and HUGE. There is so much to explore and play through. Well worth the money, especially when you find it on sale. There is stuff for both the hardcore and casual gamers.
  52. Jul 26, 2014
    Wow. This game is something else it really is. I hate all bulky cartoonish WOW looking games and this game proves that a great game can look as good as its controls and feels as a great experience that you never want it to end. I have loof the Final Fantasy series, I have played all American titles from 1 to 14 but the mmos are very disappointing, I tried to love them as much as the singleWow. This game is something else it really is. I hate all bulky cartoonish WOW looking games and this game proves that a great game can look as good as its controls and feels as a great experience that you never want it to end. I have loof the Final Fantasy series, I have played all American titles from 1 to 14 but the mmos are very disappointing, I tried to love them as much as the single player games but its just not the same. I wish they could of succeed in convincing me but they suck. Guild Wars 2 is everything I wish Final fantasy 11 & 14 could of been and it does truly take it to another different Tier from its predecessor, guess what no monthly dues, even better worth every dime. Total hours played 200 Expand
  53. Jul 30, 2014
    This mmo like many others was a gem in its beginnings and overtime depreciated into something less. Even so for a buy once play forever game the story and exploration alone are worth it even if most the zones are rectangles.

Like the original guild wars progressing through the story is the high point of the game; with exploration as a cherry on top. Like the original guild wars the end game is limited. The original guild wars definitely had worthy end game content. The end game in guild wars 2 is an abomination of desolation. It wasn't always that way but that is what it evolved into.

Where guild wars 2 diverted from the original guild wars formula was the introduction of purple text gear. This changed the game from one where you mixed and matched your wardrobe of orange text gear gained from crafting, dungeons, and events with your skill sets on your character class to tailor stats and skills to whatever you feel like running on a given day: From this to a stat grind for the sole sake of grinding stats to gain coveted purple text items to sanctify your character with a stat advantage and no more.

The introduction of WvW levels added more grind for the sake of leveling siege weapons. This in turn made WvW itself a grind rather than a grand strategy operation where farming WvW levels 'made' WvW relevant. But the siege weapons your are grinding to level are press 1 release 1 static turrets that are boring to operate. There isn't much dynamism to siege weapon operation and you can't aim and calibrate said siege weapon and put an npc on it then run into the fray sword swinging and you never could.

Dungeons are the birth and monstrosity of filth, crap, and fire. No healing class or even healing sub class means that healing is supplemented by down state rez chains which themselves function as healing. Fortunately most dungeons weren't mandatory and presently it may also be the case that no dungeons are mandatory so if you want to run a dungeon or a raid you can do so in the umpteen other mmos.

The arena pvp was pretty bad the last time I played for a lengthy period of time mostly due to reprobate players. There was a good game here or there. This has been addressed to some degree with private arenas for the reprobates to conglomerate into so they don't degrade public arenas. My personal focus was on WvW however since it was unique to GW2 and arena combat is pretty standard.

Overall GW2 is one of the best mmos. It could have been better with expansions, new classes, new class skills and class skill lines, reformed WvW to a higher degree than erasing lakes and outcroppings that never should have existed to being with. But it seems the story of present mmos is one of fixing the negativity that never should have been rather than adding positivity in the form of the things mentioned in the first sentence of this paragraph. Even so GW2 is an excellent time sink; one of the best time sink/money mmos ever and at the end of the day that is what you look for in an mmo.
  54. Nov 24, 2014
    Overall one of the more solid MMO's i have played.

positives: 1) good graphics 2) fluid combat. 3) events are fun 4) plenty of end game content 5) up front cost then f2p...and f2p to the extent that all the people who poor massive amounts of money into the game don't have a massive advantage over those that don't. 6) free update content. i don't have to pay for my
    Overall one of the more solid MMO's i have played.

positives:

1) good graphics

2) fluid combat.

3) events are fun

4) plenty of end game content

6) free update content. i don't have to pay for my expansions they are just provided (though the expansions should not be compared to WoW).

negatives:

1) it is an MMO and it doesn't shy away from grinding, but in ways this is inherent to all MMO's

2) the story is blah. though i should say the personal story/main story in blah. the living/seasons story is much better though still not extraordinary, i have to remind myself though that this is an MMO.
  55. Mar 9, 2015
    Love it or hate it, Guild Wars 2 is a new force to be reckoned with. Arguably, there hasn't been a more successful or popular game since World of Warcraft. It launched on the decision to halt development of Guild Wars and redirect that energy and resources to a new game. For me, Guild Wars was the most iconic game of my youth. I met friends that I still game with, concepts from that gameLove it or hate it, Guild Wars 2 is a new force to be reckoned with. Arguably, there hasn't been a more successful or popular game since World of Warcraft. It launched on the decision to halt development of Guild Wars and redirect that energy and resources to a new game. For me, Guild Wars was the most iconic game of my youth. I met friends that I still game with, concepts from that game color how I see other games. In short it was titanic.

So is Guild Wars 2 the same? No. But it's damn close.

Guild Wars 2 has so much going for it - the UI is relatively respectful of the real estate it occupies, the character system is acceptable, and there are amazing quality of life features that not even WoW can boast. The games combat has changed the genre for me, and I find it hard to play anything but an action combat MMO. It rendered tab targeting inert. Yet with each of these, there's an Achilles heel. Sometimes that chink in the armor is minute, other times it's problematically annoying.

Combat
    It's fluid, it's responsive but it's hindered by an annoying camera. I can't tell you how many times that camera has blinded me while i'm jumping in a puzzle or attack an enemy from a non-obvious angle. The skill system is incredibily rewarding and keeps you engaged in the fight. As with many RPG system, some classes start out better than others. I've mained a guardian since beta and it's easily my favorite character class in any RP game. Each weapon offers a different flavor, but keeps the theme of the profession consistent.

Story
    Storywriting in Guild Was has never been novel worthy. It has never been their strong suit but this game is borderline on fan fiction. The base campaign while leveling is acceptable and there are many local quests that are fun. I get this nagging feeling that many of the writers are trying to write stories for alternative lifestyles and it's just coming out really cheesy. There are some convincing characters, and there are some quite cardboard. I find the sylvari to be particularly annoying. All in all, it's acceptable writing with the occasional "WTF" moments. It gets the point across, even if it feels largely departed from the first game.

Artstyle
    This is a pretty game. The world design is world class (seriously, these people are artists) and the UI is one of the best in the genre. My only gripe is the painted style of the game can make it a bit hazy for me, particularly in the UI. However, this game really has its own unique character and is a nice departure from both hyperrealistic and stylized cartoon graphics.

Character advancement
    I love that the game is not about raiding. I really do. Yet still, I feel this game needs a more permanent character advancement system. The trait system has so much potential, but it's too divorced from the flexibility of the first game's system. They finally added the ability to move traits down and up at will, which is awesome. I'm mixed on the ability to earn traits. On one hand, it's like skill quests of old. On the other hand, it's hard work for some. Nonetheless, the upcoming progression system is going to be interesting. I enjoy having a flexible system and I hope that will continue the Guild Wars 2 spirit.

Content
    This is not a raider's paradise. That's hard for people to understand and accept at times, even myself. There are 8 dungeons, dozens of story missions, and now the instanced living world content. The game really comes alive when you have others in the open world, hacking away at a boss or something. The game is really fun and focuses on that. Yet, it can be zergy at times and the lack of standard trinity classes lends itself to group disorganization.
  56. Jul 7, 2015
    This game is 'respectful' instead of 'demanding' of your time.

This game is 'respectful' instead of 'demanding' of your time.

Guild Wars 2 is the casual gamer's MMO of choice, and in my opinion, this is not a bad thing at all. There is no real "gear treadmill" in this game, and you never get the "carrot-on-a-stick-second-job" feeling either while playing. It is very easy to pick up, play, and get right into the action of doing "hearts" ("living"quests that can be completed in multiple ways) or just exploring the world in general looking for jumping puzzles, world events, etc. I can honestly say I never feel like I am grinding when I am playing this game. I would however recommend playing with a friend, a group of friends, or someone you know, as that makes a lot of difference in the "fun factor" when leveling up and exploring. My girlfriend and I have a ton of time into our Norn characters, and we love every minute of it. I play a warrior and she plays a ranger, and that combo compliments each other perfectly. Its just plain fun.

The game world honestly looks like a water color painting. Its beautiful, and really does make you feel like you are living in a fantasy world. Many MMOs just take place in a very dead/static feeling world, but in GW2 this isn't the case. The scenery changes drastically as you enter different zones, and even within zones themselves it changes as you walk down a road or a path.

The combat in this game is very fluid. You are almost always on the move while fighting, which is a very refreshing and nice change of pace compared to other MMO's. The "holy trinity" of role playing games (Tank/DPS/Healer) isn't really present in this game though, which takes some getting used to. When I first started I thought this was odd, however you learn to like it once you realize that no matter what class you are you can heal yourself. This opens up the ability to go explore places without "needing a healer" if something is tough. You feel a lot more self-sufficient/self-reliant when you take down an enemy on your own knowing that the right combination of skills/weapons you picked are what defeated it. The ability to actively dodge enemy attacks is also a huge pro to the fluid combat, as skillful timing of dodging (that uses a little limited pool of "dodge energy") can mean the difference between beating a tough enemy at the last second or not.

That brings me to my next point, skills and weapons. A majority of the skills you use in this game depend on which weapon you have equipped at the time. There are also profession (class) specific skills in a different skill bar as well that you unlock with skill points, but early on you will primarily find yourself experimenting with different weapon sets in order to try different types of attacks/buffs/etc. This is also aided by the fact that most professions can switch between two weapon sets at a time on the fly. So, you can go from sword and shield to bow and arrow in a button press, and your skill bar switches instantaneously. This is awesome when the situation changes during combat and you can adapt to it without missing a beat.

The sub model in this game is non-existent, as it is B2P (buy you play). You can buy gems with real life $ to spend at the "gem store" which includes things like booster packs for XP, as well as vanity skins to apply to your weapons and armor.

In the end, I highly recommend this game if you are looking for a refreshing MMORPG that doesn't feel like a job, and is a lot more "relaxing" to play. You don't feel like you "have to" log in to get your money's worth since its B2P, and since there is no treadmill or grinding feeling, you can enjoy while you play instead of constantly feeling like you need to rush to "get to the good stuff" or "get to the end game". It is very much a journey and not a destination game, as the whole game is pretty much the "end game" due to the way its structured.

Like I said, its just plain fun.
  57. Aug 29, 2012
    There is simply no way this game could receive anything less than a 5 in a legit manner. It pains me to say this but obstruction of user score by another company appears to be what is happening here. On reddit there is several documented instances of user reviews here giving a 0 but giving Diablo 3 a 10.

http://www.metacritic.com/user/Tamer http://www.metacritic.com/user/RasputinMD

http://www.metacritic.com/user/RasputinMD And here are some for The Secret World

This obvious trolling is the only thing keeping the user score out of the 9 range.

But no matter, onto the reason why it deserves a high score:

-The promotion of exploration and multiple routes of solid leveling paths is excellent in relation to the rest of the mmo market. Vistas and waypoint/poi discovering provide solid complimentary experience while levelling up and in some cases keep you up to date with your zone. I've actually played for hours without bothering about what l am, which leads into point two.

-Scaling down in lower level zones keeps you on your feet and stops the standard steamroll of lower level zones. Even if you are a high level player you will have to pay attention when seeking completion of lower level zones that aren't yours. Being able to assist friends that are just starting without ruining their fun is also a solid gameplay choice.

-The combat itself is rock solid and feels responsive, with the ability to dodge and roll away bringing unique gameplay choices to what would otherwise be standard mmo combat. There is some complaint about underwater combat but its such a minor issue that it doesn't deserve to overshadow anything else.

-World vs World is very fun and highly rewarding. The thrill of large scale combat is there for those who wish to enjoy it. PVP itself hasn't been an area I've spent much time in outside of a few hours in WvW but what I have done has been rich and exciting. There is nothing like storming through a gate of an opposing realms keep and slaughtering the players inside. -Questing has been ingeniously dressed up to get away from the old yellow exclamation point style. Multiple ways to complete the same quest give options for players to perform actions the way they want, not by a rigidly defined set of requirements. -I've found myself with plenty of things to do despite several large parts of the game not being touched yet. Auction house playing is something I usually spend hours with but they haven't even enabled that and I'm still enjoying myself greatly. Once the launch issues are resolved the game can move forward to address its list of minor issues. The overall feel while playing this game can't be matched except by the wonder that I got out of play the first iteration of world of warcraft back shortly after its launch. That kind excitement hasn't been felt by me for a long time and its refreshing. I've played SWTOR and RIFT but neither have approached the level of enjoyment I am getting right now. Give this game a try, because there is something for everybody. You won't be punished for doing what you love to do. You will be rewarded for all of your exploits, all the way down to making your first crafting items.
  58. Sep 25, 2012
    This game is the culmination of the evolution of both free to play, and subscription MMOs. The game design and art are superb, and the microtransaction/auction system is amazing. Cant say enough good things about this game. p.s. Also, lots of replayability between races in terms of story.
  59. Aug 29, 2012
    I do not know who the hell says that this game has bad graphics. Environments are beautifully crafted and checking vistas was my top priority when I started playing. Characters are detailed and very well animated. Special effects are good too, maybe little bit too flashy to my taste but still very playable. The events are fun as well, even when ANet in some of them is just trying to wrapI do not know who the hell says that this game has bad graphics. Environments are beautifully crafted and checking vistas was my top priority when I started playing. Characters are detailed and very well animated. Special effects are good too, maybe little bit too flashy to my taste but still very playable. The events are fun as well, even when ANet in some of them is just trying to wrap fetching x number of this or killing y number of that in a prettier package. I am not sure about the dungeons, did not get that far yet, but friends say that they are challenging. I did not encounter any major bugs, the only thing that pisses me off sometimes are the overflow servers. Each time you use a waypoint you go to an overflow server and wait your turn. Finding your friends is a pain too because of that. I would rather have a regular queue and wait 30 minutes to get to the map, but when I am there, I am there until I log out. No stability issues or anything like that for me. Overall very solid launch and a major contender to WoW Expand
  60. Jun 1, 2014
    I initially doubted between a 9 and a 10, but since there are no perfect games it'll have to do with a 9. This is probably the best MMO I ever played. Graphics and Sound are really great but game-play and game mechanics really take the crown. Casual friendly, no real gear grind (except if you want a legendary weapon), the perfect MMO to just go and have fun with. It might not meet theI initially doubted between a 9 and a 10, but since there are no perfect games it'll have to do with a 9. This is probably the best MMO I ever played. Graphics and Sound are really great but game-play and game mechanics really take the crown. Casual friendly, no real gear grind (except if you want a legendary weapon), the perfect MMO to just go and have fun with. It might not meet the expectations of some hardcore gamers that expect the on-line world to bow down to them because they have nothing better to do than play a game all day long. However the vast majority of people playing this game all agree on one thing: this game is one of best, if not the best, MMO ever. The Living Story has been a bit disappointing at times, but bringing out biweekly patches and content updates is no small feat, they should have gone for more permanent content from the beginning. Still, it's been out for almost two years now and nothing else even come close, that's saying something. Expand
  61. Aug 30, 2012
    The sequel to Guild-wars set within the same world, 8 fun classes and 5 which are each different and have there own story, Graphics are superb and the music is beautiful with nice combat sounds. The combat is fun and compelling with a dodge system and fast paced action.
    Highly recommended to anyone looking for a new rpg or mmorpg to play.
  62. Aug 30, 2012
    This is an -initial- review, as the game just came out and my guess is as I become more familiar with it, the score will go up. But from a die-hard Guild Wars fan who has been sitting on the edge of his chair waiting YEARS (and then years on top of years) for this sequel - some of the air has been let out of my balloon. I'll just say what every other poster has said, because it's true inThis is an -initial- review, as the game just came out and my guess is as I become more familiar with it, the score will go up. But from a die-hard Guild Wars fan who has been sitting on the edge of his chair waiting YEARS (and then years on top of years) for this sequel - some of the air has been let out of my balloon. I'll just say what every other poster has said, because it's true in my case, too - I'm a die-hard MMORPG and RPG fan in general - have played every single major MMORPG release (and many minor ones) over the years since 1997 when I was addicted, truly addicted, to the original EverQuest. I'm much more a single-player RPG'er and will build an entirely new computer just for new releases like The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (which lived up to the hype and was worth the PC construction). But EverQuest hooked me, DAoC hooked me, WoW hooked me, Conan hooked me, and, most recently, Star Wars hooked me. But none of those experience even barely hold a candle to the good times I had in the surprise hit of (2005 was it? 2004?) - Guild Wars. GW was so completely different. Absolutely re-wrote the book for MMORPGs and was underappreciated in this regard by both critics and players alike. Not just because it didn't cost a monthly fee, but because the game was more a hybrid between a collectible game like Magic: The Gathering, and a standard grinder like WoW. It was the collectible skill system that was the most innovative feature, and the endless hours of PvP trying out different combinations of found skills that kept me coming back.

So I'll begin by saying that the move by Guild Wars 2 away from the collectible skill set system of the original game to a hybrid of very typical WoW grinding, Warhammer Online/RIFT area event quest generation, and so forth - was the first thing that let air out of my balloon. This line sums it up for me - GW2 is not the innovative MMORPG that GW was. It's not that it's a -different- game, like GW was, it's that it is a combination of many very -typical- games. Happily, the combination does work on many levels, and it is generally fun, albeit quite confusing at first. And VERY confusing if you're a diehard Guild Wars fan who expected this to be a sequel of some sort. Aside from the lore, there's not a lot of similarity between the first GW and this one. As with so many games nowadays in which critics praise the graphics as the "BEST IN ANY MMORPG TO DATE" - the graphics are actually just nice. They're not ground-shakingly good or making use of anything new in the genre, necessarily, but there are some nice vistas and good looking character models and animations. Still, I find myself saying that with almost every release nowadays. Finding one's way around massive cities is one of the more aggravating experiences in a new MMORPG, and GW2 is no exception, compounding this problem with multi-level cities in which you must hop into portals to get to some upper levels (took me quite a while to figure that one out). Slightly goofy camera controls add to this frustration a bit. But overall, the world is fun to explore and the new ability to JUMP in a GW game is nice. (Although again, this doesn't really feel like a sequel to me at all, but an entirely new game, more a spiritual successor to Aion or RIFT than to the original Guild Wars). There is indeed a TON to do in this game and you will never, ever be bored. Collect stuff and craft, dye armors, hop into a big local event that just sprung up, PvP in a smaller setting or PvP in a World-vs-World setting, follow the main quest, or just explore (you are rewarded for just exploring, which is awesome) ... there's never a dull moment. I guess so far for me this is the big selling point. But at this writing, I just can't get past the fact that I am still heartbroken that this isn't a sequel to the Guild Wars system of collecting, mixing and matching "skill cards". Oh well, over time, this may make me a whole new fan in a whole new way. For now though, I give this game a solid 8, because it stands strongly on its own. Can it pull me out of Skyrim (as I originally thought would be a no-brainer)? That's a tough question. When I get home from work and log into my computer my finger first hovers over the Skyrim icon and then hesitantly heads over to GW2. So, yeah, so far it's working. But only barely. This isn't the innovative ALL NEW game I thought it might be - we've seen all these elements in other games before (unlike in the original GW) - but they've been put together in a new way, and I think it might just stand a chance of being the trendy game to play for a few months before everyone either sinks back into their WoW comatose or goes back to the game they're truly in love with. Then again, maybe this will become the go-to game. Too early to tell.

I'll update in a few months.
  63. Aug 28, 2012
    Refreshingly beautiful and dynamic, amazing gameplay and fluid controls. Love the personal story and ability to explore Tyria's vastness. WvW is also captivating because of large scale assaults and cooperation. Friendly community in-game, partly because of game mechanics, partly because there is no frustration to be found as well.
  64. Aug 28, 2012
    The next evolution in MMO gaming. It may not be revolutionary as an entire package, though there are some revolutionary ideas like the Overflow servers. GW2 will easily become the next touchstone for all MMO games to follow as WoW was before it. GW2 takes the same approach WoW took when it revolutionized the MMORPG genre - take what works, make it better, throw out what doesn't work and doThe next evolution in MMO gaming. It may not be revolutionary as an entire package, though there are some revolutionary ideas like the Overflow servers. GW2 will easily become the next touchstone for all MMO games to follow as WoW was before it. GW2 takes the same approach WoW took when it revolutionized the MMORPG genre - take what works, make it better, throw out what doesn't work and do something better. PvE via Dynamic Events, structured PvP, World vs. World and a host of other game elements like crafting, exploration, and community friendly open world interaction make this MMO a gem the likes of which we haven't seen in ages.

GW2 brings back that sense of wanderlust and adventure and just plain FUN many of us MMO veterans have felt the genre has been lacking for far too long.

Best of all, there is no subscription fee and despite a few launch hiccups Anet has delivered a AAA quality title at a F2P price point. If you are a fan of RPGs and/or MMORPG's you need to buy GW2. Period.
  65. Aug 28, 2012
    I don't like rating games with a 10 until it's a true winner. Also I haven't played long enough for it to have reasons to rate it "perfect". I'll make it short and simple for you, though:

Buy it. Own it. Play it. Enjoy!
  66. Aug 28, 2012
    WOW... and not world of warcraft, this game is amazing. i cant belive this game is so good the way it is. i also have come to the conclusion that why the **** did i have to pay for wow when this game is better than it??? in a nutshell this game is GREAT dont think about it, just buy it. im happy that i actualy bought a game that is actualy fun.

diablo 3 sucks so bad, im very thankful

diablo 3 sucks so bad, im very thankful for this game to come as i felt we were doomed!!
  67. Aug 28, 2012
    An excellent MMO that while following the usual tropes of a themepark MMO, significantly improves and expands them. While combat may take some getting used to, it is a far richer experience than most alternatives. Unlike the traditional MMO combat system, player movement and tactical finesse is a critical part of success. Progression through the game's 80 levels is a joy and a multitude ofAn excellent MMO that while following the usual tropes of a themepark MMO, significantly improves and expands them. While combat may take some getting used to, it is a far richer experience than most alternatives. Unlike the traditional MMO combat system, player movement and tactical finesse is a critical part of success. Progression through the game's 80 levels is a joy and a multitude of options are available for gathering experience, from crafting and PvE to PvP combat in both massive cross server fights, or tactical battleground settings of 10-16 players. Expand
  68. Aug 28, 2012
    I think lots of the 0-3 reviews here are extremely biased. Problems on launch day, really? Doesn't play like WoW or whereever you come from? go figure. I love the game so far, it's better than every other MMORPG I played so far in almost every aspect.
  69. Aug 28, 2012
    I've looked through many of the negative reviews for this game, and every single one is making assumptions about the game which simply aren't true. I'm tired of seeing people who played the game for an hour complain about features of the game that they have not fully experienced, or don't understand yet. For example, one person complains that you can't play together because of overflowI've looked through many of the negative reviews for this game, and every single one is making assumptions about the game which simply aren't true. I'm tired of seeing people who played the game for an hour complain about features of the game that they have not fully experienced, or don't understand yet. For example, one person complains that you can't play together because of overflow servers, when you can easily just right click on a party member and 'Join In' on their overflow server. Not to mention overflow servers will become less necessary as the playerbase expands across the world. Right now everyone is in the 1-30 levels so yeah, there's overflow servers. But there's also no queues to get in and play.

Some others complained about the skill system. Saying it is too limited. GW2 uses a weapon skill system that gives you five skills based on your weapon(s) and complains that this makes it 'generic.' I don't know how anyone can say that every class having many different sets of skills available to them is somehow more limited than every class having exactly the same cookie cutter skills. An elementalist specced around dagger+focus is extremely different from an elementalist specced around the staff. A warrior specced around sword+shield is completely different from a warrior specced around the rifle. This system creates classes within classes. It isn't limiting at all.

Speaking of skills, another person complained that you only get a handful of skills compared to other MMOs. This isn't true. Weapon swapping is an important part of gameplay. During combat most classes can swap between two sets of weapons, giving them ten weapon skills plus their healing/utility skills. The fewest number of skills a class can have available at a time is 16. In the case of elementalists, they can swap attunements between four elements giving them 20 weapon skills plus their 5 healing/utility skills. 25 total. The engineer gets kits that replace their weapon skills with special engineer-only skills, and they can carry three of these kits at a time, and each utility skill gives them a special ability that they can use at any time, regardless of whether the kit is active or not. This comes out to 5 weapon skills, 15 kit skills, 2 healing abilities, and 2 elite abilities. For a total of 24.

There is plenty of variety, IMO more than other MMOs by a longshot. Not to mention that while other MMOs have very samey abilities, virtually every ability in GW2 is interesting, unique, and beautiful to watch. Characters will leap at foes and dance around them evading blows. But a lot of this is unlocked over time as you play the game.

Others complain about the questing system. This is a game about exploration where you can travel where you want and do what you want, and have that progress be meaningful and develop your character. You can get through the entire game without doing a single 'kill ten rats' quest if you wish. Or without doing a single 'collect ten flowers' quest. The free-roaming nature of the questing system obviously throws some people off, but I for one would never go back. And for those who enjoy more linear quests, the personal stories provide beautifully scripted quests where you have to make choices about things that directly impact your character's life.

Events are somewhat generic in the early starting areas of the game, but they quickly evolve into deeply satisfying contested areas where forts change hands and entire areas once friendly are overrun with enemies. I've stood on the walls of a fortress in the Shiverpeaks and rained fire on invading enemies, only to be pushed out of the fortress. And after rallying together with other players, we stormed the fortress and took it back from the invaders. No this was not PvP, this was Players versus Events. Until you've experienced chained events with world-changing results, you haven't experienced Events.

I've played in all the beta weekends and in the headstart. It might just be the best game I have ever played, and I never thought I'd say that about an MMO. Everything is polished to a perfect shine. Its gameplay, unlike every other MMO I have played, would not lose its appeal even in a single player setting. This is truly a revolutionary game in the MMO genre, and it makes sense that some people aren't going to get it right away. But that just means that you might want to think twice before taking the advice of someone who played the game for an hour and thinks he's seen enough to rate it.
  70. Aug 28, 2012
    just couldnt give this game a 9. my situation is...i have no reason to play other games. i dropped DoTA2, BF3, and many others cold turkey. i play GW2 as a pvper. the well-rounded pve experience is just a bonus to me. ANet is one hell of a company.
  71. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the best MMORPG that I've played in a loooooong time and it definitely raises the bar for future MMORPGs. Awesome game? Check. Buy once? Check. No subscription? Check. Haters gon' hate? Check. After playing GW2 - I don't see myself playing any other MMORPG for a long, loooooong time. This doesn't mean GW2 doesn't have its flaws - but NOTHING comes close to the awesomenessGuild Wars 2 is the best MMORPG that I've played in a loooooong time and it definitely raises the bar for future MMORPGs. Awesome game? Check. Buy once? Check. No subscription? Check. Haters gon' hate? Check. After playing GW2 - I don't see myself playing any other MMORPG for a long, loooooong time. This doesn't mean GW2 doesn't have its flaws - but NOTHING comes close to the awesomeness of this game. Once ArenaNet starts releasing expansion packs to introduce more content, this game will be the new king of MMORPGs if it isn't already. Expand
  72. Aug 28, 2012
    I'm not one to review many games, but I felt this was worth sharing. This game is too addicting, visually very pleasing, and alluring. Guild Wars 2 = Wife Aggro
  73. Aug 29, 2012
    Best MMO-RPG in many years. Beautiful graphics, fun and great game play. PVE is excellent but what takes this game on another level is best PVP ever. And world vs world vs world is even better.
  74. Aug 29, 2012
    Epic game, character conversation that I would normally pass by, living world, amazing art, combat system, using your brain, discovery, mechanic, sound, challenge, puzzles, community, magnificent launch, personal story, different starting zones for all races, choices, questing, exploring, crafting, free to play with no pay to win items from cashshop, endless endgame-game in lower zonesEpic game, character conversation that I would normally pass by, living world, amazing art, combat system, using your brain, discovery, mechanic, sound, challenge, puzzles, community, magnificent launch, personal story, different starting zones for all races, choices, questing, exploring, crafting, free to play with no pay to win items from cashshop, endless endgame-game in lower zones downgrade you to appropriate level so there is ALWAYS a challenge, AMAZING, guild management, guild upgrading, PvP, world PvP.

Now, if you have WoW Syndrome, you will be in trouble, because this game force you to use your brain.
  75. Aug 29, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a rich game with a fun environment that feels alive. The questing is fun and you are rewarded for exploration. The combat is very smooth and intuitive, the skill dodge element is a nice touch. The world is huge, the art style and graphics are pretty. Overall I have enjoyed my time in GW2 thus far and would recommend it to any who is a fan of the MMO genre.
  76. Aug 29, 2012
    Overwhelming! I've already logged over ten hours and feel like I've just scratched the surface. Gorgeous artwork - I feel like I'm actually playing a cut-scene. Character creation on all five species is amazing. And unlike the first Guild Wars, the writing here is really clever. Take time to stop and talk to the NPC's. Especially the Asura, who are downright hilarious. Even if youOverwhelming! I've already logged over ten hours and feel like I've just scratched the surface. Gorgeous artwork - I feel like I'm actually playing a cut-scene. Character creation on all five species is amazing. And unlike the first Guild Wars, the writing here is really clever. Take time to stop and talk to the NPC's. Especially the Asura, who are downright hilarious. Even if you don't do any missions, just loiter and eavesdrop. Soak up the local color, and THEN go off questing. Expand
  77. Oct 9, 2013
    A year ago i rated it 9.
    It was willing to bring some fresh air in the mmorpg panorama, no trinity, no gear grind, do whatever you like and obtain whatever you want.
    Well now this is only a fable that someone used to tell. They took their own manifesto and how-different-is-our-mmorpg-from-the-others and flush it into the wc. The ascended tier and living story brought more and more farm
    A year ago i rated it 9.
    The ascended tier and living story brought more and more farm and grind every 2 weeks. This is not the game it was supposed to be.
  78. Sep 27, 2012
    Before the game came out I worried that it was over-hyped and that Anet couldn't possibly deliver everything they said they could, but they did! I've been glued to this game since getting it a couple weeks ago. In other games, after an hour or so of questing, I'd start to get bored and need a break but I didn't have that happen in GW2. After doing heart events for a little bit, aboutBefore the game came out I worried that it was over-hyped and that Anet couldn't possibly deliver everything they said they could, but they did! I've been glued to this game since getting it a couple weeks ago. In other games, after an hour or so of questing, I'd start to get bored and need a break but I didn't have that happen in GW2. After doing heart events for a little bit, about the time boredom would normally set in, I'd start looking for vistas or do some gathering and then all of a sudden some huge event will kick off, like a world boss or something. Next thing you know you've just lost hours playing and you're ready for some more heart events or story quests. The world just feels alive and like there's always something happening. Seriously, one of the best games I've played in years! Expand
  79. Sep 27, 2012
    Truly loving this game. I decided the second I saw it that I would buy this game and was not disappointed in the slightest. I have been playing WoW for 6 years. I am glad in a way that Mists of Pandaria is so terribly childish, given me more time to play GW2.

I love the PvP and cant wait for more battlefields to be added. Server vs Server PvP is a lot of fun and a cool thing to be brought into MMOs. I enjoy the constant struggle to keep another realm from dominating. I love reactive things, so this fit well for me.

I absolutely love the art work and it doesn't bog down my aging comp, which is a bonus. The armor sets are truly epic!
  80. Oct 1, 2012
    I've personally been waiting for a game like this for a long time. The freedom to level how you wish is phenomenal. Being an artist though, the art direction is what pulls me in the most. This game is beautiful. I'm not saying that the graphics have to be "uber current" with today's technology, but just that it has a focused consistent appeal with it's design and personality. The races areI've personally been waiting for a game like this for a long time. The freedom to level how you wish is phenomenal. Being an artist though, the art direction is what pulls me in the most. This game is beautiful. I'm not saying that the graphics have to be "uber current" with today's technology, but just that it has a focused consistent appeal with it's design and personality. The races are really refreshing too, all of them, (less so with the humans) bring something new to the stereotypical races seen today in MMORPGs. The story may not pull me in quite as powerfully as say SWTOR, but WAY more than WOW. Don't get me wrong I actually play and enjoy all three, it's just that I still find myself attracted to GW2 the most even though MOP is fun. But I can only compare these three MMO's as they are the only ones I've ever played. Coming from a background of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, Age of Mythology, Unreal Tournament, Borderlands, Fable, Titan Quest, Warcraft III, and some other A+ titles, I have high standards for a games lore, and that is why WoW pulled me right in. But since I tend to swing back and forth between gaming moods for the slower pace of RPGs and the frenetic action of FPSs, I've been waiting for a game that has a good balance of both. That's where GW2's pulled me in. It's PvP has all I have been waiting for as the mechanics and level of freedom flow with the fluid controls and animations of your character. While in WoW I could never shake the feeling of controlling an agile paper doll, in SWOTOR I felt like I was trying to manipulate a stiff action figure. In GW2 my character actually controls much closer to the living being that I want as my character in an MMO or any game for that matter. It's simply refreshing to have that feeling while playing. My other biggest draw to this game was the limited number of skills to use, yes "limited". Having so many buttons to push and keep track of for skills always hindered my ability to stay immersed in whatever I was doing in-game. So maybe I'm not hardcore, but when I play a "game" I want it to be a game and not a "job". So having fewer abilities actually creates a nice balance for me, while it did not dumb down all the theory crafting I enjoy too. So in short this MMO offers something different and different in a very good way for gamers today. As a veteran gamer GW2 has firmly planted itself alongside WoW and all the other AAA games that have been my favorite franchises and IP's. Expand
  81. Oct 1, 2012
    It's my new main MMO. I'm a casual player, meaning I have a life outside of the game. Working 40+ hrs a week along with my hubby and child. I don't feel pressured to play the game to get my moneys worth. Questing known as hearts are still the same as any other MMO but hides it with a new way by giving options of what you want to do. No longer having to kill 50 lizards just for a smallIt's my new main MMO. I'm a casual player, meaning I have a life outside of the game. Working 40+ hrs a week along with my hubby and child. I don't feel pressured to play the game to get my moneys worth. Questing known as hearts are still the same as any other MMO but hides it with a new way by giving options of what you want to do. No longer having to kill 50 lizards just for a small pecentage of experience and repeat. DE is just wow, just wow. No more griefing over others taking my kills or resorces. Expand
  82. Aug 30, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is WoW mashed with WAR, SWTOR, FFXIV and Tera in all the right ways. There are innovations, certainly, but it really is just borrowing a cornucopia of great ideas and perfecting them.
  83. Sep 24, 2012
    This game is the best mmo out there, my biggest problem is my credit card got hacked shortly after buying it. Thus it is a great game without safe purchase methods
  84. Sep 17, 2012
    Having put countless hours into Guild Wars, I can now say with confidence that this is the MMORPG that stands the best chance of dethroning World of Warcraft. It's also one that I've thoroughly enjoyed. Guild Wars 2 is the modern MMORPG that offers a more streamlined and comfortable experience in open-world exploring and PvP for players of all skills/experience. And instead of ignoringHaving put countless hours into Guild Wars, I can now say with confidence that this is the MMORPG that stands the best chance of dethroning World of Warcraft. It's also one that I've thoroughly enjoyed. Guild Wars 2 is the modern MMORPG that offers a more streamlined and comfortable experience in open-world exploring and PvP for players of all skills/experience. And instead of ignoring players who want to be crafty or explorative, GW2 rewards them. I've really enjoyed some of the elements Guild Wars 2 has borrowed from other excellent action/adventure games (like Skyrim or Assassin's Creed). Those elements help give you drive to do certain things to completion, which often nets you achievements and bonus gear, XP, and an assortment of treasures. The game isn't a radical departure from MMORPG's, but it offers enough of a refresh to earn your $60 investment (without forcing you to buy into a subscription). There is a small learning curve to parts of this game, but nothing is unlearnable or un-masterable. If you've been waiting for a game to come along to pull you away from WoW's stale-ish experience or you just gave up on MMORPGs because of their lack of innovation, Guild Wars 2's world is one you need to experience. Expand
  85. Aug 30, 2012
    This has been my return to PC gaming after about a 2 year hiatus. I came in with mixed expectations because people were hyping it up pretty bad. I would have to say that the hype was deserved on most accounts. This game is different from most other MMOs. I find myself just running around from place to place killing with no real agenda, which is great. Dynamic events are fun, but theyThis has been my return to PC gaming after about a 2 year hiatus. I came in with mixed expectations because people were hyping it up pretty bad. I would have to say that the hype was deserved on most accounts. This game is different from most other MMOs. I find myself just running around from place to place killing with no real agenda, which is great. Dynamic events are fun, but they are a little bit overcrowded due to the high concentration of players at my level due to the recent launch. There are a few glitches currently being worked on by Arena Net, which is to be expected. The only reason it does not get a 10 is due to the trading post being down for launch. Expand
  86. Aug 31, 2012
    Remember all those MMO's that were supposed to take world of craft down? Well... GW2 might be the messiah we were hoping for!

The put it in one word, GW2 is "dynamic"! You walk around the world and random events occur, and player all gather to fight back what ever threath is coming. No grouping, no kill still. Everyone fight together and get's rewards. Seriously, you will NEVER need to call for help or search a group in this game. You never fell alone as you do quest. Arenanet did a perfect job to encourage players to work together and make it FUN at the same time.

The game is also very beautifull, and things like points of interests and views encourage you to explore.

The combat system can be confusing at time, and the camera dosn't allow you to zoom out enough. As range class it's ok but as a melee you often don't see what's going on behind you and finding your next target can be a bit challenging. Still, the combat is very FUN!

The story : I am going to have to compare with SWTOR, as the story is THE factor that was suppose to make TOR better than GW2. Well... In a way, story in TOR play a much more important part than in GW2, and i really loved the fact that all side quests in starwars add dialogues options. Still GW2 as a main story quest arc that is interesting enough to keep you interested and unlike TOR, you will make decisions that will trully affect the outcome.

PvP is not an afterthough in this game, the WvW maps are hudge and still it's easy to find something to do on them. The game really succeds in making you believe that you are taking part in a war. It's not as simple as capturing a flag and getting points. You must fight off enemy invaders, gather ressources to repair the door, construct siege weapons... But because those battles are so massive, it will put your rig to the test.

Crafting is also interesting in this game. I can't say much about it yet but i really enjoy experimenting with materials to get new reciepes.

Dungeons are nice but i have yet to try the end game content on that part. Overall, GW 2 is by far the best MMO that came out since WoW, and the fact that it has no subcription fee makes it the biggest threath that WoW ever faced.
  87. Aug 30, 2012
    It's rare to have my expectations for a game met. While the launch hasn't been without it's problems, this is the best game I have played in the last decade. I love doing everything in it so far. Played all 3 beta weekends and bought the collector's edition. It's refreshing to have a gaming company that's willing to put user experience before profits. A company of gamers for gamers :D
  88. Sep 1, 2012
    What a game. Better than any MMO before it, for someone who likes a hardcore game, but doesn't want the 'life investment' that comes with WoW. Caters to all types, quick PVP, perfect MMO world, big battles, easy grouping, fun combat. Truly the next big MMO, no doubt.
  89. Dec 2, 2012
    I played Guild Wars 1 for 5 years. I was a huge fan and some of the memories I made there will stay with me for a long time. Conversely, Guild Wars 2 is not a game that I can really recommend. I hate to say that, but it's true. The good aspects of the game include the no-monthly-fee system Arena Net has continued, and some genuinely ambitious game-play changes. Unfortunately, even 3-monthsI played Guild Wars 1 for 5 years. I was a huge fan and some of the memories I made there will stay with me for a long time. Conversely, Guild Wars 2 is not a game that I can really recommend. I hate to say that, but it's true. The good aspects of the game include the no-monthly-fee system Arena Net has continued, and some genuinely ambitious game-play changes. Unfortunately, even 3-months into launch, the game is incredibly buggy, the market sell/purchase system makes productive enterprise almost impossible (you're taxed 20% just to sell an item), and the controls are disappointingly clunky. On top of that, game-play gets incredibly repetitive and boring. Also, GW2 is a grind-heavy game. I appreciate the extension of the level-cap, however you spend the first 60 levels looking stupid aesthetically, with rewards in the form of items and gold only really coming from intense dungeon runs. There are ups and downs to the game, but in my opinion, and only comparing it to GW1, this game has taken a lot of the fun and a lot of the magic right out of the series. GW2 might compare more favorably to other contemporary MMO's, but I feel that Arena Net took a big step backwards in some critical areas with disappointingly executed new-content that generally detracts from the single most important question of any game: is it fun? Expand
  90. Sep 2, 2012
    I've now played the game for a couple days and have to say it's really good. The character creation is top notch, the game mechanics are smooth and the graphics look great. The game seems to run really nice but did have to put it in windowed mode to clear up a pixalation issue. I also like how you don't have to reset key binds every time you make a new toon. The quests was confusing atI've now played the game for a couple days and have to say it's really good. The character creation is top notch, the game mechanics are smooth and the graphics look great. The game seems to run really nice but did have to put it in windowed mode to clear up a pixalation issue. I also like how you don't have to reset key binds every time you make a new toon. The quests was confusing at first but now I get it. I also like how a quest automatically will add people to it, kind of like rift. This have is well worth $60, especially when you don't have any monthly fee's. Expand
  91. Aug 29, 2012
    A solid and innovative piece of work, in a genre where it's rare and pleasing to see a game that is either of those two things, let alone both.

I admire the fact that there is a real focus on encouraging players to enjoy the game together, rather than via a carrot & stick approach of forced grouping. Game mechanics appear to have been designed by a genuine design effort, it's hard to point a finger at any mechanics which simply ape what has been seem frequently before. Art direction is excellent. Gameplay is free-flowing and has a definite ability to make you lose track of time.

My main negative is the poor writing and voice-acting on the personal stories. It's easily the weakest aspect of the game, and really unnecessary in an MMORPG - save the single-player stories for single-player games. Additionally, while I don't want to be one of the raging ranters that give a game 0/10 due to server problems, there HAVE been plenty of them. We still don't have a functioning trading post five days after launch, and guilds have been plagued with errors inviting players and with players trying to use guild functionality.
  92. Sep 21, 2012
    with a decent machine you can play this game with almost max graphics and it looks amazing. small things make a big diffrence birds and small forest animals cover the forests you never feel alone even in big zones. the events and collecting are made so that you are not competeing with other people which is a plus can tell you how many times ive run for a tree or collection spot to havewith a decent machine you can play this game with almost max graphics and it looks amazing. small things make a big diffrence birds and small forest animals cover the forests you never feel alone even in big zones. the events and collecting are made so that you are not competeing with other people which is a plus can tell you how many times ive run for a tree or collection spot to have another person beet me only to realize that hey i get to collect to. when you die you get a grace period to bring your self back or others to raise you. and dont get me started on the fact that its FREE TO PLAY best mmo as of right now. Expand
  93. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is amazing. It is not in anyway your typical MMO game. It does almost everything differently. Play any character you want, however you want. You don't need to rely on people to tank or heal you. For PvP you can jump in right away with a max level character and gear and start pvping right away, as It is skill based not gear based.
  94. Sep 21, 2012
    Phenomenal game. It removes a lot of the things I hate about MMOs (monthly fee, gear grinds, pointless time sinks, the holy trinity of classes) and adds a bunch of great things (rewards for exploration, jumping puzzles, dynamic combat, branching story lines, "open" quests). There's a lot of value here for $60.
  95. Aug 29, 2012
    After playing for 5 days all I have to say is WOW. You can really tell the developers loved making this game and I personally love playing it. The world is incredible and engrossing, each of the classes are unique and have several playstyles, the pvp especially World vs. World (which gives PvE benefits) is incredibly fun. The game is full of options too if you dont like killing monstersAfter playing for 5 days all I have to say is WOW. You can really tell the developers loved making this game and I personally love playing it. The world is incredible and engrossing, each of the classes are unique and have several playstyles, the pvp especially World vs. World (which gives PvE benefits) is incredibly fun. The game is full of options too if you dont like killing monsters for experience you can hop right onto PvP and level there (it transfers over to PvE) you can craft, you can simply explore, you can do the story quests, you can do achievements. Literally everything in the game rewards players in someway. The community itself is very helpful and the guild system is amazing if you have some friends (or meet new ones). All in all a must-buy. The initial product is amazing and the future is brighter than the sun. Expand
  96. Aug 28, 2012
    There is not that much to say about this game.

It's a masterpiece, a living and breathing piece of wonderful art.

Thank you, ArenaNet, for creating one of the most beautiful MMORPG's ever.
  97. Aug 28, 2012
    Is this game a 10 right now? No. Does it have the potential to be a 10 once all the bugs are worked out and a few needed features are added. Yes? Do any other MMOs have the potential to be 10s. In my opinion, no. Not after GW2. All other MMOs are built on antiquated systems that can no longer rate 10 in my book. At one point I would have rated WOW a 10, but there is no way I could anymore.Is this game a 10 right now? No. Does it have the potential to be a 10 once all the bugs are worked out and a few needed features are added. Yes? Do any other MMOs have the potential to be 10s. In my opinion, no. Not after GW2. All other MMOs are built on antiquated systems that can no longer rate 10 in my book. At one point I would have rated WOW a 10, but there is no way I could anymore.

So why I am rating it 10? Because, as I said before, it can be a 10. I am willing to give them three months. If after three months it is not a 10, I will revise my review. Also, I feel compelled to combat the unnecessary 0's. Seriously, why zero? It is not that bad, not even close. This game should be a 10 right now, but ArenaNet dropped the ball by not having a open beta. They absolutely should have had two week open beta and then announced a release date.

The only reason I am willing to be lenient is because WOW and others were given time to correct their problems. WOW's release was a atrocious, but people gave it time to work itself out. Why can't we give this game a little bit of time to get things right? The standard MMO's are held to these days is absurd, and makes it insanely difficult for any company to compete with Blizzard. Now Blizzard with their 5000+ employees can put out an unfinished game and set sales records. ArenaNet with their 300+ employees should be given some time to iron things out.
  98. Sep 4, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is literally the best MMO I have played since World of Warcraft VANILLA. From the graphics to the combat, to the amazing questing system; this game delivers on all fronts. Anyone that rates this game negative is a real life loser or a fanboy hater.
  99. Sep 28, 2012
    The amount of stories that are available is amazing. The game has so much replay value. I am definitely getting my $60 out of the game. The game is huge and i feel like i will never finish it. I have had the game for 2-3 weeks and i am level 37 and have no intention on quitting now. (having friends with you is a great way to enjoy the game more.)
  100. Dec 30, 2012
    Story: 4 ---------------- The great overarching plot from GW1 is replaced by hundreds of meaningless (but fun) mini-events and some often contrived personal quests.

Visuals: 10 ----------- It doesn't get a whole lot better for an MMO and the ANet art team is great at creating visual interest. Sound: 9 --------------- Jeremy Soul is a genius. The only reason this isn't a 10 is because

Sound: 9 --------------- Jeremy Soul is a genius. The only reason this isn't a 10 is because of the headache-inducing noise of necromancer spells and deafeningly cacophonous boss fights.

Combat: 7 ------------- It's good for an MMO but if you've ever played any action RPG you know exactly what you're missing. It's not as good as TERA's combat but it's good.

Game Design: 8 ----- In all aspects the game is well-designed but it seems that ArenaNet is not immune to problems with class balance. Certain classes suffer from crippling class-specific design issues and poor skill synergy so much that the player must master every available skill and use them in every fight (engineer, elementalist). Others need do only know how to use a few skills to win most NPC encounters (guardian, thief, warrior). Basically, it's the same situation as with every other MMORPG.

Fun Factor: 10 ------- Yeah, it's fun. It still gets repetitive, there isn't enough end game content yet and choosing one of the inferior classes can really be a downer but compared to any other MMORPG, it's the best there is. That means it deserves a 10 even if it isn't quite perfect.

Overall: 8 -------------- A very good game with the potential for greatness. Here's hoping ArenaNet can tap that potential in future updates and class balance patches.
  101. Sep 27, 2012
    While the world is pretty and full of detail, unfortunately the beauty was only skin deep, for me. The game is severely repetitive, kill centaurs, water flowers, feed chicken, collect tree branches... over and over and over and over. The WvW pvp was just a zergfest, you either roll or you're getting rolled.Dynamic events, which are supposed to change the world around you as you participateWhile the world is pretty and full of detail, unfortunately the beauty was only skin deep, for me. The game is severely repetitive, kill centaurs, water flowers, feed chicken, collect tree branches... over and over and over and over. The WvW pvp was just a zergfest, you either roll or you're getting rolled.Dynamic events, which are supposed to change the world around you as you participate and finish is no different than finishing an event in WOW. You succeed until the event you just finished re spawns... and it starts all over again. Collapse

1. PC Master (Greece)