Guild Wars 2 PC

• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Oct 11, 2015
    This should be a standard for how MMOs are made.

*Note* I haven't really played PVP yet, and I have yet to find a suitable guild. so this will be from a mostly solo PVE experience. Pros: Encourages Cooperation rather than Competition. Everyone can loot the boss, everyone can loot the chest, everyone can mine the ore vein etc. Why isn't this a normal thing? SO much content. the /age
    This should be a standard for how MMOs are made.

Pros:
    SO much content. the /age command tells me I've logged almost 290 hours into it, and that's just solo PVE.
    It doesn't feel grindy. (until you start leveling up your other characters after exploring the entire map) And the pacing is very nice.
    Graphics as astounding, even on Medium settings it looks gorgeous.
    Huge explorable world
    Very clean UI
    Lots of customization options, what with dyes and such, and character customization is very in-depth
    Crafting is simple yet very rewarding
    Small conversations overheard between the town NPCs make the world feel alive
    Very, Very kind community. 90% of the people you will meet are willing to help, and I've had random people party up with me to sort of be a private tutor of sorts.
    No standard Trinity system (Healer, Tank, DPS) Every class can sort of do it, but of course, there are specializations.
    No Pay 2 win options whatsoever. Most microtransactions are cosmetic, and when they're not, they're 1 hour boosters for Exp, Magic find, etc.
    No subscription fee! Pay for it once and it's yours forever. I picked up the Heroic edition for 20$, and that was well worth it.
    Mosaic Art Style and animated cutscenes are beautiful
    Very fewFemale light armor appear "Slutty." The ones that do show some skin actually come off as more majestic/graceful/whatever

Cons:
    Certain character models need some work. Mainly with the Asura. The Shield just kinda floats on your arm.
    Story is meh. Dragon has a giant zombie army, so you have to stop him. that's pretty much it.
    The entire map you're given is not completely explorable. Crystal desert, Ring of Fire, mostly the corner areas are not accessible. Which is sad, because I really want to explore more.
    Armor doesn't get varied and "cool looking" until around level 30.
    Getting around via waypoints can get expensive, especially at the higher levels, when traveling to the closest waypoint costs 2 silver, and 10 silver for cross map.
  2. Nov 9, 2015
    The most annoying thing in this Game is to explore the whole Map, i mean who gives a flying **** about some useless Houses inside of Caves or Camp with enemy Npc's inside? I don't. Cpu utilization is terrible, 80% cpu usage on 4,5 ghz cpu is a joke. This Game is an awful example of how coding can end if you smoke too much kush.
  3. Aug 28, 2012
    I am genuinely happy that I won't meet the people writing '0' reviews.One good thing about the game is its awesome community, and those people are better left out of it.
    The game is purely awesome, the dynamic events are plenty and varied, you'll seldom get to do the same thing more than once in your standard map run. Crafting and exploring is quite rewarding and the landscape is very detailed, even having secret areas.
    The reason this game gets 9 is because it doesn't allow duels between players (not full free open world PvP, I mean invitations and such) but it could be added into the future.
  4. Aug 29, 2012
    I usually don't give things, 10's this game is an easy 9 though. The 10 is just too offset all the 0's. I really think metacritic should take the user rating system down.
  5. Aug 29, 2012
    Great game. Only problem at launch is the lag, they got more players than they expected obviously. And I've encountered a few bugs. But given that the game is just out, I'll let that pass. The design is excellent, love the atmosphere of the game. It's better than WoW in my opinion as a leveling game, but I've yet to experience the end-game content so this rating may change in the future.
  6. Oct 3, 2012
    Pre-ordered months in advance in anticipation, but sadly the game just does not live up to expectations. For the first few days I'd have gladly given the game a 10/10 however, when you make it into the 70-80 range the PVE content immediately falls off and becomes boring due to poorly tuned events and somehow even more repetitive combat than the "Cookie cutter" MMOs such as WoW. There isPre-ordered months in advance in anticipation, but sadly the game just does not live up to expectations. For the first few days I'd have gladly given the game a 10/10 however, when you make it into the 70-80 range the PVE content immediately falls off and becomes boring due to poorly tuned events and somehow even more repetitive combat than the "Cookie cutter" MMOs such as WoW. There is no true difficulty in the game since you will almost never really die and fighting PVE bosses is as simple as learning their one threatening move that is hidden in around 4-5 weak but flashy hits and then using your invulnerability dodge to get through it. A.Net had such potential with the open world bosses and they really could have made some interesting open raids such as they did with the earlier bosses, but the late game ones really don't even come close to that quality. Most will say the focus on GW has always been PVP, which is true so let's go to that. Currently PVP is entirely imbalanced which is alright I suppose due to it being new, but even then the PVP is for the most part slow and repetitive with very little reaction based combat for most of the classes and is in many ways worse than GW1 and honestly right now not even WvWvW is fun enough to make up for the core gameplay mistakes. Overall it's fun enough that I got my moneys worth and will still make alts for the fun low level content, but most players will want to look elsewhere for a good MMO. Both PVE and PVP players have much better options to choose from. Expand
  7. Dec 24, 2012
    I buy very few games usually. The hype of some friends about this made me buy it. A waste of money, for me. I got bored in the first 20 level. I simply doesn't feel part of a world. The first thing a good rpg, online or offline, should do is to have a great history/ world (Azeroth, for example) in wich you can feel part of something. I found nothing of it here. The event are somethingI buy very few games usually. The hype of some friends about this made me buy it. A waste of money, for me. I got bored in the first 20 level. I simply doesn't feel part of a world. The first thing a good rpg, online or offline, should do is to have a great history/ world (Azeroth, for example) in wich you can feel part of something. I found nothing of it here. The event are something funny... for the first 3 or 4 times. Then they are really boring. Also, the fact you can group with people basically whoever they are, is something that really is against the online experience. I want to make friends and allies in an online game. This, again, is not the case. Try the game before buy it! Expand
  8. Dec 28, 2012
    My, my, ArenaNet surely did it's homework in researching "things that every MMO fan seems to want". Beautiful graphics, excellent music, huge open world, no subscription fees - all of that you can find in Guild Wars 2. Too bad that in their pursuit for a perfect MMO formula, ArenaNet forgot to add one critical element to this otherwise perfect equation - fun. No argument for PvP balanceMy, my, ArenaNet surely did it's homework in researching "things that every MMO fan seems to want". Beautiful graphics, excellent music, huge open world, no subscription fees - all of that you can find in Guild Wars 2. Too bad that in their pursuit for a perfect MMO formula, ArenaNet forgot to add one critical element to this otherwise perfect equation - fun. No argument for PvP balance can overrule the fact that restricting your class to only a handful of skillsets (as opposed to hundreds in GW1) was an absolutely horrible design choice that doomed the entire experience from the start. The new questing system is also vastly overrated. It really doesn't matter if I have to walk to the NPC or have the quest activated on the go, when it's still the same kill & fetch bullsh*t every other MMO has already done to death. Biggest disappointment of the year. Expand
  9. Nov 25, 2013
    After one year of playing GW2 I can tell you with honesty that this game is NOT what the developers told the public that they were going to create.
    The game is top to bottom full of grind.
    The combat is repetitive and boring. Expect to Zerg when in open world events. Expect to Zerg in WvW. Expect terrible performance with top end hardware. Expect most items that you would like to be
    The game is top to bottom full of grind.
    The combat is repetitive and boring.
    Expect to Zerg when in open world events.
    Expect to Zerg in WvW.
    Expect terrible performance with top end hardware.
    Expect most items that you would like to be in the gem store only(you can pay with ingame gold but the exchange rate is rediculous).
    Expect one shots
    Expect time gated content...yes you look at a timer for things to do....
    Expect the worst story from an MMO ever, even the Living Story updates are akin to an episode of Scooby Doo.
    Expect terrible class balancing

Expect these things because that is what you're going to get with GW2. Future updates will in all likelihood NOT change the core issues that are mentioned.
    GW2 has no Guild Wars...yes not even guild halls. The game should be called Zerg Wars 2, the rise of Trahearne.

The positives are that the game does look pretty good. The world is well designed but that is all I can pretty much think of really
  10. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is without a doubt the best MMORPG to date if it comes to leveling. Guild Wars 2 definitely raised the bar on this point with their excellent dynamic events and presenting 'quests' in a way that doesn't make it feel tedious. The graphics are great, the character customization is superb and the atmosphere is also phenomenal. It did basically everything right that SW:TOR did wrong.This game is without a doubt the best MMORPG to date if it comes to leveling. Guild Wars 2 definitely raised the bar on this point with their excellent dynamic events and presenting 'quests' in a way that doesn't make it feel tedious. The graphics are great, the character customization is superb and the atmosphere is also phenomenal. It did basically everything right that SW:TOR did wrong. However, for the lack of a PVE end-game (yes I know its a PVP based game but still) and the technical difficulties it experienced at launch I have to subtract 2 points. Therefor in my opinion GW2 is a solid 8 which is great for a new game in a market saturated with garbage. Expand
  11. Aug 29, 2012
    Well, the game itself has more hype than I've seen out of any MMORPG, which is saying something, but its a good game. Will I be playing it months from now? probably not. Is it worth the price of admission? yes. A couple issues I have with the game, its pretty simplified, which is a good and bad thing. The login issues are a HUGE problem. I can't verify my email and my home PC can't loginWell, the game itself has more hype than I've seen out of any MMORPG, which is saying something, but its a good game. Will I be playing it months from now? probably not. Is it worth the price of admission? yes. A couple issues I have with the game, its pretty simplified, which is a good and bad thing. The login issues are a HUGE problem. I can't verify my email and my home PC can't login to GW2 at all. These are all initial problems with any MMO, but the login issues can be pretty severe. I figure it might be as late as next week before this gets worked out (Error 42, firewall issue. Even though my PC is a DMZ, UAC off, Run as Admin, with no firewalls.) Funny enough my work pc logins in just fine LOL. Other than the above issues, GW2 seems to have taken the best of all MMOs, and I really like how they have redone the typical quest leveling. No more Quest hubs with ! above peoples heads, its still kinda there, but is dressed up and forces you to engage in the quest story and only do 1 at a time. Don't expect the hype you are seeing from the reviews, but expect a good MMO, with some growing pains. If MMOs aren't your thing, stay away from this game, but if you are a WoW player looking for something different, go buy it NOW! Me, I'm an old school EQ player that will probably play it for a couple months as a casual. Now if your from ArenaNet reading this review, fix your LOGIN Issues! Expand
  12. Jan 1, 2013
    This game is ok, totally over hyped, the game world is huge but it is unfortunate that it is mainly just a cut and paste world. It's saving grace is that it is Buy to Play meaning you can dive in and out as you please.
  13. Jan 2, 2013
    this game is totally wrecked. i have not even got the chance to play it yet because of the insane registering. i missed out on the $30 dollar amazon deal, still got it for a ok price, but not worth it either way. i highly encourage you to discourage your friends and family from getting this game.. unless your on the brink of suicide, or you just like being sad and depressed. i'd ratherthis game is totally wrecked. i have not even got the chance to play it yet because of the insane registering. i missed out on the $30 dollar amazon deal, still got it for a ok price, but not worth it either way. i highly encourage you to discourage your friends and family from getting this game.. unless your on the brink of suicide, or you just like being sad and depressed. i'd rather play hexen without a monitor. Expand
  14. Oct 3, 2012
    Fantastic game. If you sick and tired of boring copied wow clones then this game is for you. Excellent graphics, gameplay and best of all its B2P. This game is definitely gonna give **** Mop a run for its money.
  15. Feb 1, 2013
    This game requires skill, the story is fairly flat (little people who make the engineers but that something new in short, you want to spend your money do not take well GW2.
  16. Jul 15, 2013
    Don't be deceived. The game is grindy, has a terrible story, and ruined the Guild Wars name. The PvE is grindy and repetitive. The game has some serious balance issues with classes as well. The PVP is a joke and doesn't exist in my opinion. Most everything in the PvE and PvP is just done by zerging. It's like they buff the enemies so you have to zerg them then say "SEE? THIS GAME IS FORDon't be deceived. The game is grindy, has a terrible story, and ruined the Guild Wars name. The PvE is grindy and repetitive. The game has some serious balance issues with classes as well. The PVP is a joke and doesn't exist in my opinion. Most everything in the PvE and PvP is just done by zerging. It's like they buff the enemies so you have to zerg them then say "SEE? THIS GAME IS FOR THE PROS!". There is limited freedom in choosing a build which is something I loved about the original. Lastly, the community is godawful. Stay away. I regret wasting my time in this "sequel". Expand
  17. Jul 18, 2013
    Two of the biggest problem of this game is the poor history and weakly content in max. lvl.
    But is the best mmorpg after world of warcraft, better than Tera, Rift, or Aion.
  18. Oct 20, 2013
    This game could have been good if it's creators had been more humble and sensible.

Graphics are really beautiful and there are some nice ideas events instead of quests, bank accessible from any crafting location, send crafting material to the bank from anywhere, instanced mining nodes, etc. But the core of such a game, combat, is rotten because its creators wanted to "break the

But the core of such a game, combat, is rotten because its creators wanted to "break the mold". Oh sure they've succeeded it's completely different. But it's also completely *awfull*

It's neither target selection (wow) nor aiming (neverwinter) it's both. It's cumbersome, boring, impractical and uninteresting.
    Of course it doesn't help that the difficulty is completely off, with most encounters really easy and some randomly crazy difficult (and some other probably buggy too). Being ganked by an army of small crabs that keep repoping forever isn't really funny for example.
    You often can't help but wonder what the developers smoke when they made this game.

So do yourself a favor and avoid this crappy game.
  19. Aug 29, 2012
    What is there to say? It's a lovingly crafted, very fun game. There's constantly things to do and joys to find, and yet no monthly fee. Beautiful, engaging, often hilarious and full of wit. The devs are hard not to love for what they've created here.
  20. Dec 18, 2012
    This game is horrible, the game gets interesting in the start, but it rappidly becomes boring. All of my friends quit playing after reaching about lvl 10 or so. They are hardcore mmorpg players and always get adicted to them. Many GW2 players says that the "end game" is ****
  21. Sep 4, 2012
    I said prior that other titles had been the evolution of the MMORPG Genre' I am now sure that Guild Wars 2 is the start of the "Next Generation MMORPG" - Luckily it does not try to be too nudered down, something MMORPG's suffered from ever since the release of the Genre shifting (for the worse) release of World of Warcraft putting titles like Everquest, Ultima Online and Asherons Call asI said prior that other titles had been the evolution of the MMORPG Genre' I am now sure that Guild Wars 2 is the start of the "Next Generation MMORPG" - Luckily it does not try to be too nudered down, something MMORPG's suffered from ever since the release of the Genre shifting (for the worse) release of World of Warcraft putting titles like Everquest, Ultima Online and Asherons Call as relics of fond memory; any game attempting to be like them would fail - and any game attempting to be too much like WoW would fail.
    I Played the original Guild Wars at release like just about every other MMORPG looking for the next thing; and I "liked" it; but hated the use of instancing outside of city hubs; felt it to be over-all poor and figured the F2P design and lack of development funding in comparison to other companies may have been the cause and never touched it again - Thus I was not expecting much from Guild Wars 2.

What I received was an MMORPG that had Story Quests in the Vein of SWTOR but barely consume the game and feel like a "distraction" from everything else you do; The games questing system is basically endless Warhammer Online "Public Event" style quests; endless people are aiding in them and great XP is awarded - You do not have to be grouped to split XP - another feature that is so welcoming is say ORE Vein or a Tree to cut down; if 6 people rush at the same tree; the first person doesn't steal it from you - you each get your own harvest from it :) This is very convienent.

The combat system is near flawless in an MMORPG and the Graphics are Beautiful running on an SLI Geforce 680 GTX system with 16 gigs of ram and an 8 core AMD FX unlocked CPU - Everyone helps eachother out! you don't have to ask; you'll be revived; buffed; enemies killed with you as people run by (same XP) you gain XP for basically anything you do in the game which is also very very conveinent and refreshing.

The most NOSTALGIC and "Leap of Danger" that Guild Wars took with the game is the main PVP system; It's World versus World (3 worlds battling over 4 HUGE terriotories which feature many camps; towers; keeps and a main castle to capture, defend, retake etc along with Orbs of Power - This instantly reminded me of DARK AGE OF CAMELOT but on a LARGER SCALE!!! It's mind blowingly well done. The fighting struggle for territory never ends; and everyone scales up to level 80 still gaining XP from NPC enemies around the huge battleground; and from player kills (who also drop great loot!)

The other PVP option we also have around is "Mists" which are 5 different Server Based 16 player max, two team PVP Warzone/Battleground's in a "first to 500 point" style Capture objecctive warzone. No Level Up XP is gained through this mode and everyone has a preset level 80 template with all abilities unlocked (unlike regular world versus world which is level 80 with your gear scaling up along with the abilities you have unlocked thus far; but are able to continue to level up as it shows both your regular level then the scaled 80) --- In these warzones you get the PVP XP and level that up every level getting a treasure chest with PVP specific gear and it is a nice competetive breather; but takes the strategic world versus world PVP away.

Nothing like building siege weapons- or aiding in building them and controlling them to help smash down the gates of a castle and slaughter all the players coming out; with a frontal assault then a flank after they retaliate!

GW2 is the MMORPG TO GET!
  22. Oct 5, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a wonderful game as it incorporates an innovative and completely new style to MMORPGs. The game has beautifully crafted environments and characters, an easy to pick up insanely hard to master combat style, fascinating lore with an intriguing storyline and an immersive, constantly changing world, there is never a time when you have nothing to do in Tyria. The community alsoGuild Wars 2 is a wonderful game as it incorporates an innovative and completely new style to MMORPGs. The game has beautifully crafted environments and characters, an easy to pick up insanely hard to master combat style, fascinating lore with an intriguing storyline and an immersive, constantly changing world, there is never a time when you have nothing to do in Tyria. The community also feels generally friendly, there aren't as many trolls and flamers compared to many other MMORPGs, although the massive number of gold sellers spamming chat is quite irritating. That being said Arenanet has taken a rather anti-gold-seller approach to Guild Wars 2 by making it so that in-game currency can be traded for paid currency. In Guild Wars 2 finding groups for dungeons is fairly quick even without a feature similar to WoW's dungeon finder because there is no 'holy trinity' in the game, most combinations of any 5 professions will work, I've even once run a hard mode dungeon as 5 necromancers. There have been a lot of worries about the lack of an endgame in Guild Wars 2 but many of these worries are unfounded, there is PLENTY of endgame content and it's pretty fun as well. In every boss fight it's never the lack of gear that kills you, it's the incredibly difficult mechanics or lack of a player's skill that kills you. Guild Wars 2 PvE endgame consists mostly of explorable mode or hard mode dungeons. The bosses in the dungeons themselves tend to drop pretty crappy gear, but when a player finishes a dungeon they are rewarded with tokens which are specific to that dungeon, these tokens are used to buy better gear that has looks that are based on the dungeon which the tokens were acquired from. Most explorable mode dungeons have 1 very challenging boss and the rest aren't too bad, but the challenging boss has the tendency to be REALLY DAMN CHALLENGING. That being said, all of these bosses can be overcome without too much difficulty as long as everyone in the team contributes and covers each others mistakes. It's not about being perfect so much as it is about minimizing the number of mistakes you make and helping teammates out when they screw up. Getting enough tokens to complete a full set of gear is quite a grind as each piece of gear requires quite a lot of tokens, some may argue that it's a bit too much of a grind, I'm inclined to agree especially since it can take up to 2 hours to complete an explorable mode dungeon on a PUG and you don't get an awful lot of tokens per run. Overall Guild Wars 2 may not be a perfect game but it is certainly an amazing game and it is the next step in the evolution of MMORPGs. Expand
  23. Oct 7, 2012
    This MMORPG has it all.
    Good combat system, good loot system, good crafting system with a bank implemented so you don't have to run around grabbing everything and the coming to the conclusion you took the wrong items.
    This MMORPG has it all.
    It's colorful warm graphics and cutscenes are just so well done. And the good part is: No monthly subs. You pay one time and bang you can play it without paying 12 euros every month.
    By the way... Why are you still reading this? Go buy the game it is better then your average grab a quest or go to bank, craft and fail etc MMORPG.
    Do it now!
  24. Oct 9, 2012
    Repetitive is something u should have expected. I'd play so many games, all looks repetitive, if u blame u need to push the same button in a game, please rethink noobs. I'd play COD and most of the time i clicked Left Mouse button for hours dude, opss kids. I'd played Starcraft 2, RE series, all using Left Mouse button mostly so stop blame repetitive on button. LoL
  25. Nov 24, 2012
    I am a casual gamer, and I love this game. I can play at whatever speed I choose with no sub. There a certain amount of gamers trying to sabotage this games ratings by saying that they have introduced grind with the new armour. While this is true, the armour is not essential to progressing in the game. It is a choice. So take no heed from the people who are rating it below 5. Unless theyI am a casual gamer, and I love this game. I can play at whatever speed I choose with no sub. There a certain amount of gamers trying to sabotage this games ratings by saying that they have introduced grind with the new armour. While this is true, the armour is not essential to progressing in the game. It is a choice. So take no heed from the people who are rating it below 5. Unless they have a truly valid point for not liking it. Expand
  26. Nov 26, 2012
    this is a great game the world events are great , the world vs world pvp is amazing and the crafting is probably the best in any mmo right now. But the questing is essentially the same thing as any other mmo whether its collecting things or killing things to complete a quest.
  27. Nov 30, 2012
    I'm going to try and make it as short as possible. I've had the game since beta but didn't get around to playing it until the start of November. PROS - dynamic events and quests. accepting and finishing these things happen automatically and its a beautiful thing. -Combat is solid. a good mix of auto attacking and action combat here. I wouldn't say the best of both but they did quiteI'm going to try and make it as short as possible. I've had the game since beta but didn't get around to playing it until the start of November. PROS - dynamic events and quests. accepting and finishing these things happen automatically and its a beautiful thing. -Combat is solid. a good mix of auto attacking and action combat here. I wouldn't say the best of both but they did quite possibly the best job at bringing them together. - Graphics/Level design. you can tell they didn't intend the look of realism. Its more artsy. And they nailed it. Attention to detail is superb and the environments are captivating. CONS - There are very very few armor sets through 90% of your leveling up. You will literally wear the same thing for most if not all of those levels(appearance wise i mean of course). - The world feels like just 1 big single area because you can teleport to within 100 feet of anywhere. Because of this there is no mounts and that's why its a con. - Dungeons. There's about 8 in total. Sure you can repeat them in exploration mode for a bit more challenge. However you get caped down to the level of the dungeon and you need more then 3 people to even consider them making this part of the game useless if your a solo body or just wanna play with your game buddy. The scaling the designers talked about should have been put into dungeons. -Trinity system.. For the love of god this doesn't work at all. Certain jobs take naturally way less damage then other and other jobs deal brokenly high damage compared to others. it really needs an enmity system because of this. Most people enjoy certain job roles in a game -End game is really only World vs World and PvP. Too many games do this for all their end game now. The world vs world is great but the PvP is done better in other games. MMO's started out as PVE content rich games with very little in the way of PvP. You need a good mix of both don't just focus on one.- oh and mesmer is hyperly weak in PvE but way OP in PvP. A single Mesmer with just decent skill will wreck a entire group of 8-10 people of any other class. Doing that yourself is fun but its very unbalanced - LFG it needs a LFG system. You can go a few days (real life days) before you get a group to do a Story dungeon. Problem is mostly solved joining a large guild However you must remember that this game was advertised to cater to solo players alike.
    Conclusion - This really is a must play game. A single player or duo will get bored of this nearing level 80 probably in a few weeks for the average player. The real fun is had in a large group working together at everything and you can get months and months. Overall you getting a ton of quality game play here however you look at it only for 59.99
  28. Dec 12, 2012
    I give a 10 to Guild Wars 2, not because this game is perfect, but because it's the best MMORPG in the world right now. In the years i tried a lot of MMORPG, and Guild Wars 2 is the only one that give me that feeling of "this is so fun to play!", not just that "OMG i need to grind 120345 more times to buy that sword, ARRRRRRR"
  29. Dec 15, 2012
    This game worth to be in the collection of the best games ever made ( if there is one). High quality graphics and sound help the game to be wonderfull. The gameplay is solid and the action of the game id very good. RPG elements work great and the players are nice and kind. ArenaNet helps you get better by aid you with the quests and writing GW2 Wiki Guide. The game is not so hard likeThis game worth to be in the collection of the best games ever made ( if there is one). High quality graphics and sound help the game to be wonderfull. The gameplay is solid and the action of the game id very good. RPG elements work great and the players are nice and kind. ArenaNet helps you get better by aid you with the quests and writing GW2 Wiki Guide. The game is not so hard like LOTRO ( not Pay2Win) and the character creation is fine. This should be the GOTY of 2012. Expand
  30. Dec 29, 2013
    This game sucked my life away, so many hour of my time have been put into this game. This game offers a plethora of replayability. There's the standard open world play and there's also personal stories. There are multiple races to chose from and customizable stories for each, ensuring a different play through each time.
    Teamwork is one of the biggest points in the game, most events cannot
    Teamwork is one of the biggest points in the game, most events cannot be completed without the help of other players. The use of guilds really brings this all together, the community's very tight knit and friendly making it very easy for beginners to hop in and learn.
  31. Oct 15, 2012
    This game loses it's luster VERY fast. I had no reason to get to the end game (Which is 80 levels of doing "Grind Free" questing). I got a character to level 58. I started losing interest around level 50. My character has around 30 moves, all on short cool down, but they all generally do the same thing. Apply an effect, knock back, increase attack speed. Boring. Also, the whole gimmick onThis game loses it's luster VERY fast. I had no reason to get to the end game (Which is 80 levels of doing "Grind Free" questing). I got a character to level 58. I started losing interest around level 50. My character has around 30 moves, all on short cool down, but they all generally do the same thing. Apply an effect, knock back, increase attack speed. Boring. Also, the whole gimmick on how there's no grinding is complete bull. The only thing end game is, is grinding to get cooler looking gear. You have to run dungeons THOUSANDS of times to get full dungeon sets, and don't get me even started on the ridiculous difficulty of dungeons. Also, Arenanet advertising heavily on a "role-less" game is a complete lie as well. You HAVE to have a tank, a designated healer, etc. in order to survive in these stupidly difficult dungeons. The story is rather lame, and the quests all start feeling the same. The world is nice looking, but I noticed repeats in designs and looks, the areas aren't varied very well and I got bored very fast of the style pretty fast as well. Also, anyone who thinks this game revolutionized questing is delusional, they just cover up the questing by making it an area where you can quest instead of having to turn it in. W v W is alright, but you can only do well if you have a solid in take of money, since the seige equipment costs lots of currency. This game was fun for about a month, which is all it needs to get a good review from most people (most people stop playing after that long anyways....) while you need to put in a LOT more time than that to get to the "end game". Expand
  32. Aug 28, 2012
    Without the game's problems, it would be a 10/10. Anyone that has rated this game as a 10 is a **** brand loyal marketing drone who can't see past his own hype and post purchase rationalization that they are unable to think for themselves. Here lies the problem, Guild Wars 2 starts out with a 10/10 but then loses points for various things. The major problem with GW2 is its community. NotWithout the game's problems, it would be a 10/10. Anyone that has rated this game as a 10 is a **** brand loyal marketing drone who can't see past his own hype and post purchase rationalization that they are unable to think for themselves. Here lies the problem, Guild Wars 2 starts out with a 10/10 but then loses points for various things. The major problem with GW2 is its community. Not only is it the worse community online that you will ever find, including Biodrones and Furries and Bronies, but they are unable to actually comprehend any form of criticism against GW2. For example, if you say how there is no such feature in the design of GW2 such as dueling (which lets be honest, people expect in a 2012 AAA MMO), they don't actually read your criticism properly, they skip read it and assume that you're "a troll". Or if you mention how you'd like something to be different you are met with a torrent of filth, logical fallacies and attacks on your character from people that want you to stop "saying bad things" about GW2. As for the actual features that are missing from GW2, they include; dueling, gear inspection, capes (they are too lazy to fix armor clipping), guild halls, skill customization (you are limited to 2 weapon sets and skills that you can't choose simply because they are too lazy to implement class balance or dual professions), interesting achievements and skill hunting like GW1, larger amounts of skills available for support slots, no account tied dye system (it was removed thanks to the Nexon employee removing them and making you more likely to use the Korean F2P cash shop). It also has 8 professions and only 5 character slots. The cash shop is strange, like they didn't think it through properly - i.e. there are craftable boosts that do the same things as the cash shop boosts except cost 10 copper coins where as the cash shop ones cost like $1.50. Why? Oh and there is too much grind required (if I'm not mistaken) for cosmetic sets of dungeon gear, requiring around 60 runs to collect a full set - which is clearly stupid. If these features were patched in, it would be an 9/10 game. It's brought down 1 point so far by the stupidity of its community who would be happy enough to send you death threats for negative reviews of their christ savior MMO. But to end on a happy note, this game is so much better than World of Warcraft or its clones, and is very beautiful to look at. It's just missing some of the things that made GW1 beautiful, which they dumped. Expand
  33. Oct 14, 2012
    If you were to chart an exciting quest, it might start out slow, and then ramp up and up, until the climax at which point you would face some thrilling final challenge, after which you would feel a flood of endorphins for having accomplished something. This is not how GW2 works. Instead, you wander around, and a little message says, "Go kill those things to save the farm or whatever." SoIf you were to chart an exciting quest, it might start out slow, and then ramp up and up, until the climax at which point you would face some thrilling final challenge, after which you would feel a flood of endorphins for having accomplished something. This is not how GW2 works. Instead, you wander around, and a little message says, "Go kill those things to save the farm or whatever." So you go kill whatever for a while with a hundred other people, and then the things are all killed, and you get a letter that says, "Hey, thanks for killing those things. Here's some gold." It doesn't lead anywhere, no story is built, it's not the start of some greater mission to work towards, and you don't feel more powerful or accomplished. Frankly, Guild Wars 2 is boring. I only feel compelled to play this game because I spent money on it. The story, lore, and dialog are paper thin, which would be forgivable if the gameplay was at all interesting.

The worst sin of this game, though? They've built a beautiful world, and given you a difficult to control, buggy, awful camera with which to view it. Super narrow FOV with no way to change it, collides with random objects and jerks around wildly (especially indoors), shows you more of the ground than the scenery, and always prefers to stick your character front and center, blocking whatever you actually want to look at. All of this makes exploring the world, which should be a fun diversion, a headache.
  34. Nov 10, 2013
    I will never understand why so many critics and people love this game both at the "good" beginning and now. I was never enthralled playing this game, the combat that was so widely heralded as amazing is just mashing five buttons. The only way to pvp is by queing for it which I find very odd in a game for in MMOs like SWTOR and WoW these races have reasons to fight, although here yourI will never understand why so many critics and people love this game both at the "good" beginning and now. I was never enthralled playing this game, the combat that was so widely heralded as amazing is just mashing five buttons. The only way to pvp is by queing for it which I find very odd in a game for in MMOs like SWTOR and WoW these races have reasons to fight, although here your servers just fight. All species work together in peace even though the beast characters are said to be savages. I was never into this game from the start of it, it just felt like another boring MMO with a bad combat system, and story which I could not care less about, just dragons invading cough cough Skyrim. This game is boring and offers nothing new to MMOs that others like WoW should copy or iterate. Do not buy into the hype of this game it is not worth it at all. Expand
  35. Aug 28, 2012
    This game can definitely stand on its own against behemoths like World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic (if that even counts anymore since it is going free to play). It's a good game that doesn't even need to go against its competitors simply because it has no momthly fee (a huge plus in my book) and doesn't really clone any games (think Rift and SWTOR cloning WoW). In that wayThis game can definitely stand on its own against behemoths like World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic (if that even counts anymore since it is going free to play). It's a good game that doesn't even need to go against its competitors simply because it has no momthly fee (a huge plus in my book) and doesn't really clone any games (think Rift and SWTOR cloning WoW). In that way it is truly innovative as it is its own game in its own right. Now, I do think this game is NOT the second coming of Jesus, nor does it live up to all the hype. Why? First of all, I think one of the most hyped up aspects of the game, World vs World (realm vs realm) is probably one of the more boring aspects of the game. You'll spend at least 5 minutes simply running around trying to find the action and when you die, and you will, you'll spend another 5-10 minutes running around looking for action. It's almost as if Anet designed it to be a time sink, but why they would I don't know, again there's no monthly fee. If you don't mind it the fights are really fun (always make sure to carry supplies around with you!!!) and the charm of it all is simply inescapable. My biggest pet peeve of the game, which is a good game mind you, is leveling in PvE. I'm a level 14 elementalist as I write this and I've had to grind on dynamic events several times just to catch up to my story quest, which can jump from level 10 to 15 easily. There aren't enough heart missions (area quests) and unique dynamic events to get you through, so you either have to repeat dynamic events or gain levels through World vs World. Not a favourable aspect of the game for me. I will end this review on one note though...the exploration in this game is simply amazing, fantastic, wonderful. If you like to explore you'll love this game. I didn't like exploring before but now I'm getting addicted to it. Anyways, it's a 7.5 to 8 game out of 10 in my humble opinion, I don't think this game deserves a 10 or anything less than 6. Expand
  36. Aug 29, 2012
    The most immersive mmorpg i have ever played, having played wow and many f2p ones to name a few, Combat is amazing, "questing" (dynamic events, personal storyline) is something i look forward to, never rushed. Graphic and art style is beautiful and unique, sound is great although in game music is hard to notice at times. Engine is optimized heavilly, i can run the game at 110fps on mostlyThe most immersive mmorpg i have ever played, having played wow and many f2p ones to name a few, Combat is amazing, "questing" (dynamic events, personal storyline) is something i look forward to, never rushed. Graphic and art style is beautiful and unique, sound is great although in game music is hard to notice at times. Engine is optimized heavilly, i can run the game at 110fps on mostly high dropping to the lowest 25fps on huge world pvp battles (hundreds of players onscreen) on an average system. The wow-killer is here
    guy gw2 today
  37. Oct 15, 2014
    For the record my rating is -- i like (10) or i don't like (0), this 0-10 system is a joke, what exactly is a 5? Not sure if i like or not? I'm sorry? Seriously, anyway.

I'd give this game a 10 if it was 1 Year ago. This game used to be wonderful, however 2 years doing the same is a joke. LS content never worked and never will, a game doesn't survive with casuals, it survives with

I'd give this game a 10 if it was 1 Year ago.

This game used to be wonderful, however 2 years doing the same is a joke. LS content never worked and never will, a game doesn't survive with casuals, it survives with Hardcore players who keep it active by playing it a good amount of hours, and actually spend money on the Gem Store to support the game.

To make things worse Anet sold some of their servers causing even more lag than already existed, having even 10 seconds of lags sometimes, which doesn't happen on any other game, meaning it's this game's servers.

To make things worse, people that Stream the game have these lags as well, making the game look like a joke to outsiders and potentially future buyers.
  38. Oct 3, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a fun game. The no subscription fee method allows players to play the game at their own pace. That's another plus. Wouldn't be surprised if Guild Wars 2 won the 2012 Best PC Game Award.
  39. Apr 18, 2013
    This game is average at its best. But when you ding level 80, the game start to be boring real quick with lack of content. There's no progression or any reason to do PvE or PvP.

I had so high hopes.
  40. Apr 15, 2014
    While many praise the "buy to play" and no subscription fee system (and perhaps rightly so), that has little if anything to do with whether or not Guild Wars 2 is a good game. Putting aside the advantages of a non-subscription MMO, I found Guild Wars 2 a bit tired and lacking in inspiration. There was much to like about the technical aspects of the game, but the questing and gameplay didWhile many praise the "buy to play" and no subscription fee system (and perhaps rightly so), that has little if anything to do with whether or not Guild Wars 2 is a good game. Putting aside the advantages of a non-subscription MMO, I found Guild Wars 2 a bit tired and lacking in inspiration. There was much to like about the technical aspects of the game, but the questing and gameplay did not hang together in an engaging way, leaving me wondering why I would want to log-in. While Guild Wars 2 is not a bad game, it is a thoroughly bland one. It's questing and story are unappealing compared to games like Star Wars: The Old Republic or Elder Scrolls Online, and for me, the combat game play did not hold up favorably to ESO either. The game may not require a subscription fee, but I did find myself regretting the purchase price of the game. I simply can't recommend Guild Wars 2. Expand
  41. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is awesome, got it as a gift (was going to buy it anyway but my birthday came first :P) I did not play GW1 but have played many other MMOs. Its true that it takes quite a bit from games like Warhammer online, but it takes the good and improves on it. It also introduces new ideas and concepts I haven't seen in other mmos. The game handles lag very well (I play from South Africa)This game is awesome, got it as a gift (was going to buy it anyway but my birthday came first :P) I did not play GW1 but have played many other MMOs. Its true that it takes quite a bit from games like Warhammer online, but it takes the good and improves on it. It also introduces new ideas and concepts I haven't seen in other mmos. The game handles lag very well (I play from South Africa) compared to games like WOW or Diablo 3. My only real complaint is the lack of proper learning content, its either not there or too boring to do. Its way more fun to just jump in and play like an idiot while you figure things out. I must say that this game is growing on me. The more I play the more fun it seems to get! Graphics are good, quests are fun, events are amazing, sounds are cool and personal quests add a fun single player element to the game(can be done multi, I like to single it). For those skeptical about the RM gem system, it is a little annoying but can be worked around, gems can be bought off ah with gold. 1 suggestion to A-net is please add more attacking animations haha Expand
  42. Oct 31, 2012
    I've been playing since release and everything I have to say about this game is good - I recommend it to my friends and get lost and immersed in Tyria for hours at a time. In GW2 you are dropped into the world without much of a hint as to what you are supposed to be doing. That's because the point in the game is just to go explore and have fun. There is a massive and immersive world outI've been playing since release and everything I have to say about this game is good - I recommend it to my friends and get lost and immersed in Tyria for hours at a time. In GW2 you are dropped into the world without much of a hint as to what you are supposed to be doing. That's because the point in the game is just to go explore and have fun. There is a massive and immersive world out there to enjoy and it's all breathtakingly beautiful. There are points of interest to visit, which when explored can often lead to secret jumping puzzles or hidden chests. There are breathtaking vistas to view and skill challenges to earn. All of these things can be challenging and puzzling at times. Levelling and gearing in this game almost seems secondary and you'll barely notice your levels flying up. There are two PvP modes, WvW and structured PvP (5v5 - 8v8 games). Both are very different things and I have found a lot of enjoyment in both. I recommend giving GW2 a chance because you just might LOVE it. Expand
  43. Nov 2, 2012
    Just pros and cons.
    < > Pros: < 1 > Stunningly effective design (visual, graphics and music) < 2 > Innovative and convinient gameplay (anyone should try it) < 3 > Playstyles of different classes are really different < 4 > Wide character customization < 5 > Live world with continuous events
    < > Cons: < 1 > Inexpressive storyline (especially the ending) < 2 > Annoying
    Just pros and cons.
    < > Cons: < 1 > Inexpressive storyline (especially the ending) < 2 > Annoying last locations (both design and mobs' behaviour) < 3 > Turmoil in dungeons due to "no tank, random aggro" mechanics < 4 > Lack of end-game motivation (after some level of familiarization the game becomes boring even without full progress achieved)
  44. Nov 6, 2012
    Certainly the best MMO launch of 2012. While I had a blast playing TERA and The Secret World, they can't compete with the fun I'm having with Guild Wars 2. While I must admit that the so-called PvE in the game is more or less just an "alibi" feature of the game it is still fun. It's really stimulating to finish the small tasks ("Hearts") for different people and stumble from event toCertainly the best MMO launch of 2012. While I had a blast playing TERA and The Secret World, they can't compete with the fun I'm having with Guild Wars 2. While I must admit that the so-called PvE in the game is more or less just an "alibi" feature of the game it is still fun. It's really stimulating to finish the small tasks ("Hearts") for different people and stumble from event to event. There are many things to collect that add up to daily and monthly tasks which, in the end, reward you with even more XP, Karma and other things.
    The only thing I'm missing is more PvE content (yes, I know, GW is supposed to be about PvP ;) )...but it's okay so far.
    Up until this, I would've given 10/10 nonetheless, but...here comes the stuff that I actually really don't like about GW2: The PvP. So far (11/06/12) the PvP is pretty much broken. Balancing is basically non-existent (Thieves and Mesmer kill everything using just two to three skills. One-hit-kills happen as well.) and there are certain class builds that are so ridiculously powerful that you barely see anything different. Plus, certain character combinations are more or less "indestructible" so if you're not playing one of the two "awesome" classes, you're gonna have a bad time.
    I hope they'll fix this soon. 8/10
  45. Nov 7, 2012
    This is a title that has something for everyone...well everyone except grief players. For the grief player, you are not invited. The game is more like an artists canvas that you manipulate. The graphics are simply beautiful, the races are very well done complete with histories, and the classes are perfect. When I say perfect, I truly mean that. You can play whatever you choose and not haveThis is a title that has something for everyone...well everyone except grief players. For the grief player, you are not invited. The game is more like an artists canvas that you manipulate. The graphics are simply beautiful, the races are very well done complete with histories, and the classes are perfect. When I say perfect, I truly mean that. You can play whatever you choose and not have to worry about waiting forever to find a pick up group that will let you in. If you want to group you can, or you can just adventure and help out where ever your ADD takes you. No monthly subscription nonsense, no grief players, and you have the freedom to play whomever you want and can still bring value to any group you happen to meet. There are so many more positives about the game it would be impossible to name them all. Suffice to say, If I could score this game higher than a 10, I would. Expand
  46. Dec 15, 2012
    ArenaNet gave us the game I had been waiting a long time, without a healers, tanks and stereotype invented centuries ago. Game worth playing, some will love it others postpone the ledge.
  47. Dec 29, 2012
    First off I would like to say i have tried other mmos. played the wow starter edition thought it was very childish and combat was very boring. so then i bought the secret world when it became subsription less becasue i am very into all the illumanati templar stuff. was ok but the interface was kind of confusing and combat was meh but the story was pretty cool. i was at gamestop one dayFirst off I would like to say i have tried other mmos. played the wow starter edition thought it was very childish and combat was very boring. so then i bought the secret world when it became subsription less becasue i am very into all the illumanati templar stuff. was ok but the interface was kind of confusing and combat was meh but the story was pretty cool. i was at gamestop one day and a friend of a friend told me to try out guild wars 2. i bought it and have loved every minute of it. i dont rate games by anything other than fun factor becasue really thats all that matters and gw2 gets a ten. charachter creation is really neat and the world is beautiful. just the art direction and creativity is astounding. the combat is also very very fun. the cool thing is u can just be exploring and all f a sudden a random big event happens and you and a whole bunch of people just go do it gain gold and exp. overall very fun if you are thinking about getting this game you really should i cant see you not having a good time.

prepper out
  48. Feb 14, 2013
    Simply put, I like Guild Wars 2. I think GW2's graphics are impressive, the sound and music top notch, the environments are interesting, monster variety plentiful, crafting is useful, and the combat is fluid. At first I failed to make it past level 15 and quit for a bit (my initial excitement faded fast). I then decided to come back around Christmas and did the themed quest and various PvESimply put, I like Guild Wars 2. I think GW2's graphics are impressive, the sound and music top notch, the environments are interesting, monster variety plentiful, crafting is useful, and the combat is fluid. At first I failed to make it past level 15 and quit for a bit (my initial excitement faded fast). I then decided to come back around Christmas and did the themed quest and various PvE content. After a few days I became more interested in playing, but I could feel the old complaints creeping back in (lack of desire to invest time). Then I was invited into a active PvP World vs World based guild and that has made all the difference for me. I'm amazed at how being a member in an active and friendly guild can make normally mundane things fun. We've done class quest, fractals, normal content, and world vs world on a regular basis. Of course, there are flaws and some of the reviews express them well. However, I have come to appreciate GW2 regardless of my initially disinterest (perhaps more for the community rather than for the game itself). Expand
  49. Mar 4, 2013
    Guild Wars 2 is... a splendid game. Whilst completing the main quest line and levelling up to level 80, I realized there is yet much to do...~~~For example, I had to level up my skills to level 400, and hunt for materials and ingredients which made my time as great. I found myself in LOVE with the dungeons, and the fact that ArenaNet releases updates in a large sum, not just smallGuild Wars 2 is... a splendid game. Whilst completing the main quest line and levelling up to level 80, I realized there is yet much to do...~~~For example, I had to level up my skills to level 400, and hunt for materials and ingredients which made my time as great. I found myself in LOVE with the dungeons, and the fact that ArenaNet releases updates in a large sum, not just small miniature maintenances etc... Completing the map was incredibly fun, and finding the vistas, completing the Local Heart quests, the randomly generated events which give me something to do, and the graphics that take me in. Now I never have to run around, bored, and thinking, "What should I do next? Sigh..." Graphical content is the least of what I care about, because games really aren't all about graphics, however their story, content, and available options is really what it's about. By the way, for you ArenaNet fans out there, many of the people who have completely disliked GW2 are brainwashed people coming from Blizzard that will absolutely hate ANY MMORPG game they think might overcome WoW. Also, may I like to say many of the hated reviews here are probably coming from people who just want to compare GW2 to their favorite MMO's. No, seriously, rating Guild Wars 2 requires raw, solid reviewing, not comparing products. -Utrex Expand
  50. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is like WoW just done right. There is no way to really summarize this game into 5,000 characters so I am simply going to say this. This is like all MMOs it is just 5,000 times better and more entertaining. And you don't have to pay a monthly fee!
  51. Jul 13, 2013
    GW2 tem sido de longe o melhor jogo de mmo que joguei (e joguei WoW desde o vanilla), sistema de combate muito interessante somado a uma customização perfeita de cada char, o jogo possui uma infinidade de builds com traits e o set de arma e os itens que se usa tornando o jogo único, tenho um warrior suporte que cura com estandartes e bufa com gritos de guerra, temos finalmente um RANGER,GW2 tem sido de longe o melhor jogo de mmo que joguei (e joguei WoW desde o vanilla), sistema de combate muito interessante somado a uma customização perfeita de cada char, o jogo possui uma infinidade de builds com traits e o set de arma e os itens que se usa tornando o jogo único, tenho um warrior suporte que cura com estandartes e bufa com gritos de guerra, temos finalmente um RANGER, capas de ser meele ou ranged, o jogo eh muito dinamico sem ser exaustivo, eventos massivos e muito bem trabalhados e um world PVP capas de remeter as guerras medievais de outrora (coisas como um cerco de 2 dias nos murros de um castelo), o único ponto fraco até agora o fato de o jogo não possuir raids (10-20 man) porem suas dungeons são muito boas e unicas, FINALMENTE um jogo que valorize o individual mais q o teoricraft, como não há tank healer dps, esqueça os gurus da interne e jogue. jogo muito bom, recomendo a todos que querem algo realmente inovador e que não trai as origens do MMO. Expand
  52. Dec 2, 2013
    I really don't know about this game. It is not bad MMO, but it have some really weird parts like: skill system classes could be more interesting (esp. necromancer) underwater combat is total trash, when you wonder in world you complete events you don't even participate and so on.
  53. Dec 15, 2013
    I am impressed. After putting some hours into it and understanding some of the basics. I think I have a good feel on most of the game. I like how the map layout is just so the way it is. Enemies are scattered all over the place and keep their distances for the most part. The automated leveling up on everything was a great idea but i think the player should choose if or not to. When you goI am impressed. After putting some hours into it and understanding some of the basics. I think I have a good feel on most of the game. I like how the map layout is just so the way it is. Enemies are scattered all over the place and keep their distances for the most part. The automated leveling up on everything was a great idea but i think the player should choose if or not to. When you go into a too high leveled area, the game will sometimes set the level right where it should be so its comfortable enough to sit back and level up all day long. I think 8/10 should do it. Good game. Expand
  54. Dec 18, 2013
    Guild Wars 2 is gorgeous, very fun to play and definitely very different to the plethora of other MMO's out there. It is undoubtedly among the best. You are able to jump as well as swim, leading to very interesting ideas such as jumping puzzles and huge explorable underwater areas.

The cons: Skill simplicity and lack of customisation. This is especially apparent after having played

The cons:

Skill simplicity and lack of customisation. This is especially apparent after having played the original guild wars. Having your skillset predetermined by what weapon you are holding feels very restrictive, and ultimately you tire of always using the same skills. I understand that this was done to reduce complexity, but instead there should be a larger set of skills predetermined by your weapon, from within which you select what skills you would like to use. There doesn't have to be many, just enough to give you the freedom to choose your own play style.

Players who play more have access to better gear. This was not the case in the original guild wars, which rewarded extensive gameplay instead with better looking gear, rather than with superior stats.

The lack of skill customisation leads to PvP feeling somewhat restricted. You will immediately know most of the skills that your enemy is about to use against you based on their profession and weapon chioce.
  55. Aug 16, 2014
    This game can't even be called Guild Wars, forget the second class awesomeness, this game comes with TONS of limitations for example you only have that spells for that weapon and you cannot change them, you can only change 3 or 4 spells.
    Also it comes with no late game which is really bad for a mmo.
  56. Sep 17, 2014
    Probably the best fantasy MMORPG at the moment. Very robust, well designed and bug free. Full of events and dynamic content. Frequent free content expansions. Great community. Lots and lots of end game content.

I miss being able to select skills freely. The system where you have a fixed set of skills depending on what weapon you wield is boring imho. But you have other ways to create a "build", and even if the game is designed to suit casual players, it is also possible to spend a lot of time perfecting your gear, skills and strategy if you want.

The economy is just like any standard MMO. It is mostly NPC based, and crafting is pretty useless. All good gear comes from grinding boss mobs, dungeons, events or the mystic forge.

A really good feature for casual players is the level equalization. The level difference between you and your friends does not matter very much. You can still play together and get roughly the same challenge and rewards fitting your respective levels.
  57. Sep 29, 2012
    The most casual mmo ever made, with an aggressive cash shop influence. The events do not care if you are there or not. If you are there you will get xp no matter what. There is a sever lack of character and skill development. After level 40, it's all passives for the next 40 levels. It's a extremely simplistic game by nature which leads to simplistic combat and pvp. After 3 weeks ofThe most casual mmo ever made, with an aggressive cash shop influence. The events do not care if you are there or not. If you are there you will get xp no matter what. There is a sever lack of character and skill development. After level 40, it's all passives for the next 40 levels. It's a extremely simplistic game by nature which leads to simplistic combat and pvp. After 3 weeks of heavy play and fun, game play became extremely boring. This will be the first mmo (there is no rpg) that I've played that I will not reach level cap. There is no incentive to go on once the "new" wares off. The world is beautiful, although not cohesive, and the spell effects may be the best in the business. That beauty is only skin deep though. Fun for 3 weeks. I doesn't seem like it was made for more than that. Thus it being B2P. I'm giving the game a 3 because the lack of fundamental mmorpg elements that have contributed to me not wanting to play after 3 weeks. Expand
  58. ryn
    Oct 15, 2012
    I'll keep this short. The graphics and sound come together to form a breathtaking world. Unfortunately, this alone isn't enough to make a compelling game. The combat is fun and engaging (perhaps more so than in competing titles) for the first couple of days. But I have yet to play an MMO that manages to keep it interesting after that and GW2 is no exception. Unfortunately this hits GW2I'll keep this short. The graphics and sound come together to form a breathtaking world. Unfortunately, this alone isn't enough to make a compelling game. The combat is fun and engaging (perhaps more so than in competing titles) for the first couple of days. But I have yet to play an MMO that manages to keep it interesting after that and GW2 is no exception. Unfortunately this hits GW2 hard, because as the developers pointed out many times: there is no "carrot" in GW2. What's supposed to keep you playing is the fun of playing the game itself (walking around killing things, exploring, doing dynamic events, etc.) and NOT loot rewards. Well, general game-play quickly becomes sleep-inducing. Crafting is a major gold-sink and feels like a waste of time, even if the interface itself isn't bad. The economy is a complete joke, with 99% of items selling at vendor price and the other 1% climbing to insane new heights every day. Unless you've played from release and speculated your way to huge profits when various recipes were changed or discovered, you are going to be dirt-poor from 1-80 and beyond. The dungeons are boring and frustrating at the same time, but to expect differently when you put 5 classes that all do everything in a dungeon that you over-tune to hell to make it "challenging" is madness. World-vs-World PvP is a zerg-fest of epic proportions and if you think that structured PvP will appeal to you, go play Dota2 or LoL instead for a much more complete and fun experience. The personal story is decent up to level 50 or so, then it looses pretty much all it's appeal and turns into another terrible, unrewarding grind. Expand
  59. Aug 28, 2012
    I've played to 30 twice now, once in the beta and now once at launch, I enjoyed beta because it was less chaotic. Here are my opinions.

I'll start with PvP because that'll be shortest, I don't PvP much in MMOs. I did find it enjoyable though, it's more than just spam your keys, but 8v8 can and will turn into a **** Anyone who takes PvP seriously should try 5v5, the maps are DESIGNED for 5v5. WvWvW is fun too, but can become a zerg, even if you don't want to zerg you'll find yourself following it, I know that actually splitting up is better and I hope people actually start to split up.

I've played PvE a lot more though.
    I really like the DE system, makes the world feel alive and is MUCH MUCH more fun than going to X, killing Y and returning, damn even if babies think "Well you still gotta kill things, it's the same!", it really isn't, you have to look at the big picture. My only issue is some of them respawn too quickly.
    Exploration is rewarding, while there's POIs and vistas, some you actually gotta look for, and I actually want to look for them, it's fun, sometimes you get carried away and get lost, more games need to do this.
    Some people are upset about the skill system, but I disagree, I enjoy having all my abilities at once. (By the way, there are builds still, people don't realize this because they probably haven't unlocked traits and most skills". Eventually you start to learn how to play your weapon, it makes a lot of classes play different, a sword mesmer and a greatsword mesmer plays very different. My real only issue was how slow EXP can come in, people can rush, and some people can go really slow, it's all based on time, if there's dynamic events going on, etc.
  60. Apr 7, 2013
    click the button which is not on cooldown combat is dumbed down its just stupid, the different skills are so bad designed at the beginning you will may enjoy the game but after 2-3 hours you will see how boring this game actually is i am not a fanboy of any mmo but this game was a big let down for me
  61. Sep 28, 2012
    I seriously don't know what people see in GW2 I must be missing something. It's an okay game, but nothing amazing. At best it's average. A very safe vanilla amusement park like game, take you from one attraction to the other. No matter how dull and pointless that attraction is. GW2 doesn't live up to the fun GW1 was, and within 30 minutes of playing GW2 I couldn't wait to log offI seriously don't know what people see in GW2 I must be missing something. It's an okay game, but nothing amazing. At best it's average. A very safe vanilla amusement park like game, take you from one attraction to the other. No matter how dull and pointless that attraction is. GW2 doesn't live up to the fun GW1 was, and within 30 minutes of playing GW2 I couldn't wait to log off simply out of bordom. Check the weather was more interesting. I've played 3 hours in total, and I had to force myself to play that much. There simply isn't anything new here, and oh soooooo boring. Expand
  62. Sep 29, 2012
    Guild Bores 2 would have been a more appropriate title. Bland character design, bland questing, dull, repetitive combat, no end game, bland voice acting. Couldn't play for more than two hours before getting tired of it and quitting. Story is completely forgettable, as well, and things like 'dynamic events' are little more than gimmicks. I had no fun what so ever with this over-hyped game.
  63. Oct 1, 2012
    Got the game even at it's high cost because of the hype. Installed it levelled to 22 and still didn't like it. Graphically good yes but when I fight things, the moves you get just are not satisfying. I'm not sure why so many say WoW is graphically terrible, when I turn everything on Ultra with 4x AA and SSAO it's wonderful so clearly you either need to change the options or get a betterGot the game even at it's high cost because of the hype. Installed it levelled to 22 and still didn't like it. Graphically good yes but when I fight things, the moves you get just are not satisfying. I'm not sure why so many say WoW is graphically terrible, when I turn everything on Ultra with 4x AA and SSAO it's wonderful so clearly you either need to change the options or get a better card or LCD screen. The game still isn't a patch on WoW, I can see quests from explanation marks and not silly love heart icons. Joining PvP in wow is fun and easy, dungeons, raids, all because of integrated functions using the finder tool. This just doesn't have the edge at all and sorry but if your praising it just because it's free you need to open your eyes. Expand
  64. Sep 17, 2012
    I will preface this with a caveat - I tried very hard to like the original GW and just never got into it. I am also very picky about my games right now and fantasy games are a bit stale to say least.

I much prefer a more recent game that I will not go into but it lacks any sort of decent end game. To me that is where GW2 shines with the open world events, sidekick level system (so you can't face roll content lower than you) and the dynamic events that alter the world - but what really shines is the PvP, both structured and WvWvW - Especially the WvWvW. I can lose days in that setting.

The instances are decent and the lack of a trinity is AWESOME. However there are things that drive me nuts:

- the game gets repetitious and leveling an alt is tedious at best
    - the dynamic events follow about 3 or maybe 4 templates and get old
    - there are some unresolved bugs that seem to continue to evade the devs
    - Its another -ANOTHER - fantasy game
    - Asura are annoyingly cutesy and should be exterminated like the rats that they are
    - The setup for the cash shop makes it seem like ArenaNet constantly has its hand out
    - There are parts of the game that should just be totally reworked (the abysmal writing and voice acting in places - especially the Norn area)

So its a decent game and for $60, assuming you don't go CE or use the cash shop, is better than most single player games - and it has no sub fee so you can come and go guilt free.

So its a decent game - but is it revolutionary? Not really. Its a very VERY safe game compared to other recent games and in the end will be a nice diversion from things that are truly revolutionary that I consume like a rabid animal.
  65. Dec 17, 2015
    Game is now pay to win gear grind. Everything detestable about MMOs is what Guild Wars 2 has changed to. Ridiculous and chore like ascended gear grind. Pay to win structured player versus player. It started out as the best MMO I had ever seen and ended the hottest flaming turd I know.
  66. Nov 14, 2012
    Why the hate, haters? I haven't played Guild Wars 1 before, but I've played Guild Wars 2! Gameplay is amazing and there is NO monthly fee! Money well spent!
  67. Sep 26, 2012
    GW2 is basically a first "solo" MMORPG. ArenaNet is trying to implement this idea of not having to party with anyone to do anything, at the same time you still have to party with random player if you want to experience the full content of the game. They give you more options to how you want to level up your character, but by no means one method will be enough to take you there. They areGW2 is basically a first "solo" MMORPG. ArenaNet is trying to implement this idea of not having to party with anyone to do anything, at the same time you still have to party with random player if you want to experience the full content of the game. They give you more options to how you want to level up your character, but by no means one method will be enough to take you there. They are forcing you to have to go explore the map, gathering resources, assisting NPC and completing story quest. PVE dungeons are in general not well designed. AI targeting system requires more randomization, the biggest problem is that AI tends to lock on one player till they are shoot to 'death'. This makes having no player plays a fixed role particular bad with a group of "dont know what they are doing" players. the level of communication required to participate in dungeon explore mode is the highest i've seen (Your full team have to use vent/mummble or other voice communication software for this purpose) that is if you want to have a smooth run without having to roll over your dead corpse a million times. Lastly the limited skill selection is a big negative compare with the original GW, its almost impossible to play any combo as a solo player (since there is no henchmen in GW2). Overall I was expecting GW2 to be at least somewhat similar to the original series of GW. yet This is a total different game. The only advantage for GW2 over GW is that the world is open and you have an option to see other player "JUMP" around you. After played GW2 for 2 weeks, I've decide to go back to GW1, just because i like having to be able to truly SOLO everything (w/wo hench) and can easily justify what i am doing when i am in a group. Expand
  68. Nov 21, 2012
    edit 70 hours of gameplay one warrior lvl 48 and map completed to 25%; after the first two weeks of intense play I found myself playing GW2 really casual and even if i stop tomorrow, the price of the game is money well spent. Advice do not expect to find a WoW clone because the two games are very different in everything from PvE to PvP.
  69. Aug 28, 2012
    A lot of things to do in a non really well done play style. The way you skip been hit by pressing two times an arrow key is silly and the characters move kinda slow. Also the game gets confusing because there is too much to do and not many explanations about what will you get by doing something specific. Also the design is really bad, while some races are really nice looking some othersA lot of things to do in a non really well done play style. The way you skip been hit by pressing two times an arrow key is silly and the characters move kinda slow. Also the game gets confusing because there is too much to do and not many explanations about what will you get by doing something specific. Also the design is really bad, while some races are really nice looking some others are relly ugly. Also the game copied many of the features that made Warhammer Online be a failure, like dynamic events, which is a good idea but has never been successfully put in practice. Is good that you don't need to hurry and invite others to your party to not steal them EXP and loot, but it also makes you feel like playing with NPCs around instead of players because there is not much interaction with them. If you like role playing maybe this is your MMORPG but if you expect some action, it is not for sure. Better than LOTRO and Warhammer Online and kinda the same game style. I also don't like the fact that all the professions (clases) can heal themselves and there is no healing class. In some way, when you play a role game, you want to do that, play a specific role! But without some specific roles and letting everybody DPS and heal, the feeling that you need to fill a role in your party is gone... Expand
  70. Sep 14, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is awesome, it was more than I could expect. The game is fantastic and I really love all the beautiful details... the quality is way above any other MMO I've played. The personal story is intriguing and you can't stop playing.
  71. Apr 24, 2014
    The graphics are nice and the quest system is nice. Sadly, a lack of interesting story lines makes the leveling process very boring. The lack of FoV slider makes the game unplayable for several people, and is inexcusable for a modern game.
  72. Oct 5, 2012
    A great well rounded and well polished new MMO. 8 distinctive classes that all have their own feel and play style. Some great improvements to the MMORPG genre without trying to change what isn't broken.
    Just like GW1, there is no subscription. Unlike many other MMOs out there where you're paying a monthly fee and getting very little for that fee, GW2 gives excellent value for the box price. I really don't think I could go back to standard MMO static combat that other titles in the genre seem content to offer. Combat in GW2 is a lot more fluid and active. Broker/AH/Trade Post is also the best I've seen in an MMO to date, not without flaws, but it's game wide, not limited by listing durations and you can set buy prices for items you're looking for.
    Only thing I personally miss is raiding, some challenge PVE wise to bring players together to overcome. WvW just doesn't do it for me, fun sure, but not in the same routine way that raiding was in the older generation MMOs.
  73. Oct 27, 2012
    To sum up - GW2 is a fantastic and fun game that I have truly enjoyed in an exploratory and exciting way, something I haven't done in ~7 years.

I spent a good part of 6 years playing WoW after first playing Guild Wars original for a year or so, then on and off after that point. I've played several other MMOs but none of them ever really came close to WoW or original Guild Wars as far as I'm concerned.

GW2 has fresh and exciting ways of exploring and traversing the deep and detailed world. For once, an MMO has left the decision "How should I play the game" to the player, rather than boxing them in to stale and linear PvE experiences. As I'm still leveling, I don't know what end game will be like but GW2 definitely deserves a 9 even if end game is crap, considering just how awesome the leveling experience is.
  74. Nov 16, 2012
    First of all, I am not a fanboy of World of Warcraft or Guild Wars, this review is based only on my overall opinion on Guild Wars 2.
    ---
    Overall: excellent game, ArenaNet really showed everyone else how a true MMO must be made. If you have money for it and you like MMO's (and even if you don't, but you want to try something new), buy it! 10/10. Brilliant. --- This game is hilarious,
    ---
    This game is hilarious, whether you play alone or with your friends. High fantasy setting can be felt actually, with so many things happening around you. Roleplaying part of the game is also great, as you can even write personal story to your character! Yes, yes, your own personal story! If you wish, you can complete plot missions to advance your character in the world, he is the part of it. Not a player's puppet, but a character with his own characteristics which can be set by you! Combat is great, also. Making combinations with players is also a nice way to make the game more social-specialized. However, there are few things that I don't like in the game: for example lack of trading option. There's much more to tell about this game, like no unholy-trinity system in dungeons and interesting crafting system, but it's way too hard to describe everything about Guild Wars 2, as it's too massive and great!
  75. Dec 6, 2012
    This game just suits me perfectly, being an MMO with a beautiful, hand-crafted world containing enjoyable PvE for smaller groups and the lack of a gear treadmill. SPvP is easy to jump into having all the necessary equipment at one's disposal, and WvWvW always interests me.
  76. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is absolute gold! The storyline is very well done and it allows you to make countless decisions as you play which will change your storyline and whilst at the end of it all you will get the same ending if you decide to play through the story with a different character you will experience huge variety from your first playthrough as the decisions you make enable you to playThis game is absolute gold! The storyline is very well done and it allows you to make countless decisions as you play which will change your storyline and whilst at the end of it all you will get the same ending if you decide to play through the story with a different character you will experience huge variety from your first playthrough as the decisions you make enable you to play completely different missions. The eight classes offer up countless different strategies and dungeoneering is even more fun as you can jump in with any other people instead of having to wait for the other members of the holy trinity. The PvP is great fun but with only one game mode as of yet but with many different maps. There are whole new events out each month such as halloween christmas etc. each updte being about 1/2gb to 1gb each as so much is added Expand
  77. Jan 15, 2013
    Perfect game for casual players. That doesn't mean hardcore players can't play it. But it's fun, it's not hard to lv up (everything u do, EVERYTHING gives you exp), many people complain it's hard to lv up yet they haven't played the game for more than a couple of days. You'll reach 80 even before you know it, and you'll feel like there's still so much left to do.
    Yes, some people may not
    Yes, some people may not agree or like the game, but people that give this game a 0 are just haters... Only thing that I feel it's missing is a normal pvp or duel mode on the pve environment, or even a pk mode, as the pve world is just too nice and peaceful, sometimes you feel like you need some "bad guys" that are not just npcs. But even then, the WvWvW is really fun, you don't even need to join the zergs... sometimes you can just wander around the maps and you may even find a chance to 1 on 1 or at least fight with smaller groups of people.
  78. Feb 2, 2013
    Im a fan of this title. After 5 years, they ve done an amazing work. The world is wonderfull and artistic. The gameplay is regular but still dynamic. You will take more than a month to do everything around. A great title so don't hesitate on it
  79. Feb 2, 2013
    Guildwars 2 is a decent game, is supported well but the game is pretty overhyped. The game is also arguable "pay2win"(Even though people might disagree with it).
  80. Feb 14, 2013
    I have played this game for approximately 3 months, and I first joined when my friends persuaded me to spend the $60 I put aside for CODbo2 for this. I was led here with the idea of a massive world with endless interesting things to do, and never-ending fun without the grinding so commonly found in everyday MMOs. However, to the newcomer who doesn't have much experience with this kind ofI have played this game for approximately 3 months, and I first joined when my friends persuaded me to spend the $60 I put aside for CODbo2 for this. I was led here with the idea of a massive world with endless interesting things to do, and never-ending fun without the grinding so commonly found in everyday MMOs. However, to the newcomer who doesn't have much experience with this kind of MMO, there seems to be way too many things to be done everyday. I have not played many MMOs lately, so I was a little daunted by the prospect of doing all the things needed to be done. Once you get used to the tasks, it is quite fun to wander around in a huge land. However, I think if you don't really have any close friends IRL who play it, there isn't too much to be done. It's a lot more fun to play the game with people you know well. Expand
  81. Mar 19, 2013
    this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the v v this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the v v this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the thisthis game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the v v this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the v v this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the this game is the v v this game is the Expand
  82. Mar 21, 2013
    What I want in a MMORPG is incredibly designed bosses requiring great teamwork to kill. By abandoning the staple roles of RPGs in favor of some sort of a weapon-based skill system and self-healing, the game pushes itself way backward in that department. I appreciate Guild War's answer to the dead world instance-play of games like Warcraft, but what we need more is a game with Warcraft'sWhat I want in a MMORPG is incredibly designed bosses requiring great teamwork to kill. By abandoning the staple roles of RPGs in favor of some sort of a weapon-based skill system and self-healing, the game pushes itself way backward in that department. I appreciate Guild War's answer to the dead world instance-play of games like Warcraft, but what we need more is a game with Warcraft's raid bosses and Guild War's leveling and vibrant world. We don't need a game to be 100% different in every way from the competition. I'm not just looking for the next WoW when I play a MMORPG I can deal with games diverging from WoW in a variety of ways but can we please have any other game which features PVE raid bosses as well designed as WoW? Warhammer Online nailed its coffin by specifically ignoring PVE raiding in an attempt to be different. Now Guild Wars 2, a beautiful game with so much to do, manages to do something similar, preventing itself from well-designed content by abolishing the tried-and-true staples of RPG gameplay that have worked so well. I'd maybe recommend this game for people who want PVP over PVE in a MMORPG. Expand
  83. Mar 23, 2013
    First of all let me state this: It is one of the best MMOs out there and you can find lots of reviews that will tell you all the reasons why it deserves a high rating, but here are the reasons why I didn't really like it.

1. There is no traditional leveling: Each weapons uses another skill set but you can unlock all of them really quickly in under 30 mins. What's left to unlock are just skills that I would consider minor and mostly not worth playing for. Leveling up is one of the biggest motivational points for me in such a game and GW2 doesn't offer enough for me to keep me interested

2. If there is no real leveling system the game needs something else to keep you involved like the story and here lays the next problem. The emotional arc of your character concludes after the second arc is finished. From that point onward you are, just a tag-along. The story is affecting other people, and you're just along for the ride. A good part of this is due to the segmented nature of the quests 3. Crafting: You need to level up your crafting skills in order to be able to craft valuable gear and that's when crafting becomes an exercise because creating one level 10 recipe does not increase your level to 11 as it would appear. No, you get experience toward level 11, meaning that the problem of leveling up by making useless items is exacerbated.
  84. Mar 30, 2013
    I won't repeat information about game play which is easily available by using Google. I will, however, explain my rating. I am giving Guild Wars 2 a 10 out of 10. I don't mean to say that it is a perfect game. It's not perfect. I mean to say that GW2 is better than any other game in it's class (MMORPG) by a long long way. It fixes many of the issues that plague other MMORPG's. ItI won't repeat information about game play which is easily available by using Google. I will, however, explain my rating. I am giving Guild Wars 2 a 10 out of 10. I don't mean to say that it is a perfect game. It's not perfect. I mean to say that GW2 is better than any other game in it's class (MMORPG) by a long long way. It fixes many of the issues that plague other MMORPG's. It eliminates "Pay to win". It eliminates "Gear to win". It eliminates "Static worlds". It eliminates "Monthly fees". For those reasons alone I would give GW2 a 10 out of 10. Expand
  85. Aug 7, 2013
    I really wanted to play this game, i found some new friends and i really tried to play this game, but i found a lack of spells, i just wanted lots of useless spells with cool animations, all so the quests, or the yellow hearts was repetitive
  86. Nov 12, 2015
    Updated review 11/12/2015 (~300 hours over a few years). This game is enjoyable, and it runs really well if you have decent hardware. I've enjoyed GW2. To me, GW2 feels like if Torchlight 2 (one of my favorite games of all-time) and Skyrim had a baby. Pros: graphics, world, environment, music, combat system, pvp, wvw, dungeons. Cons: Story is confusing to understand and living story isUpdated review 11/12/2015 (~300 hours over a few years). This game is enjoyable, and it runs really well if you have decent hardware. I've enjoyed GW2. To me, GW2 feels like if Torchlight 2 (one of my favorite games of all-time) and Skyrim had a baby. Pros: graphics, world, environment, music, combat system, pvp, wvw, dungeons. Cons: Story is confusing to understand and living story is confusing. Never tried to craft high-end items because it looked like a time sink. Expand
  87. Nov 9, 2013
    I've never been into MMOs but this one compelled me because it had a very appealing pay once, play forever model, which any game should have. It didn't turn out to be as great as I thought it would be though, it's still fun and entertaining to play once in a while with a bunch of friends, but there are a couple problems that I'm going to explain.
    First of all, the world is absolutely
    First of all, the world is absolutely MASSIVE, it's just that, there isn't that much to do in it, pretty much every quest is the same generic "kill 5 rats and feed my cows!", the skill challenges are the same thing, fight this one guy, get a skill point and you're done. Another problem which I find huge is how utterly annoying the wildlife is. Say you want just relax and take in the scenery, while peacefully walking through the mountains, no can do sir. There are literally tens of mobs on your screen at ANY given moment and EVERYWHERE, even some towns are infested with mobs. The worst thing is that these mobs are extremely aggressive and attack on sight, which makes getting anywhere a real pain. I'm trying to walk to a quest objective, not fight a thousand wolves for two hours for god's sake!

One last thing that I'd like to criticize is the lore of the game, I'm just not feeling it, it's pretty shallow and with all the barbie dolls and Halloween pumpkins frankly quite unbelievable. And the last thing I almost forgot to mention, daily events. What's the point of these? Kill thirty bunnies? Twenty-five underwater creatures? Collect twenty pieces of wood? Why would I wanna do that? Why force people to grind? Well whatever, it's not a mandatory thing to do, just completely pointless in my opinion.

Other than that the game is fairly solid and can provide countless hours of fun if you have friends to play with, for solo action I would recommend a classic single-player RPG backed by a strong story and quality lore. I'm not going to review the PvP element, it's solid, don't really care about it, look elsewhere for that.
  88. Sep 1, 2014
    this is the best mmorpg game i have ever played and it does not make it worse that you just have to pay for it once and never again. if you like mmorpg games you will probably like this one! it's by no means perfect but way better than anything else!
  89. Apr 22, 2015
    Amazing game! very smooth detailed graphics. plenty of thngs to do for thext 2 years. no fees. 1 price and you are ready to go. incredible vast maps. always something to do.

cons: it might take a while to get used to. some things are a bit complex. crafting, teams lays. some interface should be simpler.
    i recommend 100% if you are a fan of Dungon Siege (x100 better)
  90. Sep 27, 2012
    While the world is pretty and full of detail, unfortunately the beauty was only skin deep, for me. The game is severely repetitive, kill centaurs, water flowers, feed chicken, collect tree branches... over and over and over and over. The WvW pvp was just a zergfest, you either roll or you're getting rolled.Dynamic events, which are supposed to change the world around you as you participateWhile the world is pretty and full of detail, unfortunately the beauty was only skin deep, for me. The game is severely repetitive, kill centaurs, water flowers, feed chicken, collect tree branches... over and over and over and over. The WvW pvp was just a zergfest, you either roll or you're getting rolled.Dynamic events, which are supposed to change the world around you as you participate and finish is no different than finishing an event in WOW. You succeed until the event you just finished re spawns... and it starts all over again. Expand
  91. Dec 11, 2014
    This game is way too grindy.

The gameplay mechanics are incompatible with the control scheme. A gamepad would have worked better than the keyboard/mouse setup.

Having said that, an RPG should never try to be a platform game. Especially a PC RPG. That's why they're RPGs.

The targetting system is unstable and inaccurate.

The camera is in constant conflict with the movement controls.
  92. Aug 29, 2012
    Very unoriginal game, it steals a lot from Warhammer Online. Dynamic Events are no better than regular quests not to mention a lot of events never fail because events are way too easy. The overflow servers were a horrible idea. They prevent players from actually playing together. There is no room for error in Guild Wars 2. The game was made so players can succeed with ease. GW2 is only theVery unoriginal game, it steals a lot from Warhammer Online. Dynamic Events are no better than regular quests not to mention a lot of events never fail because events are way too easy. The overflow servers were a horrible idea. They prevent players from actually playing together. There is no room for error in Guild Wars 2. The game was made so players can succeed with ease. GW2 is only the flavor of the month. As soon as people reach max level there isn't much replayability left because dynamic events are boring, easy and too repetitive. Expand
  93. Sep 12, 2012
    My character r was engineer, and it was ridiciusly underpowered!
    I leveled till 35 and entered first dungeon, and my skills SUCKED in there.
    All i could do is practically auto attack from further away on bosses, becouse i dont have any other ranged skill, Seriosly? Im **** engineer, i got a rifle and bullets, Why does it sucks and doesnt have any skills? Was disappointed in that.
    My character r was engineer, and it was ridiciusly underpowered!
    I leveled till 35 and entered first dungeon, and my skills SUCKED in there.

Was disappointed in that. Otherwise its good solid game, Just skills on engineer sucks, thats why im not playing it.
  94. Sep 22, 2012
    Very mixed in multiple respects... the first view of the game is that it is fantastic. At least a refreshing view on the MMO world, really well done and finished, with innovative quest system and fantastic innovative levelling mechanism.

And after a while you're logging in and you don;t really know why you're accepting silly limitations like the stupidly think inventory system, the lacklustre crafting mechanism, the stupid "personnal story" system that for some quests is just so close to impossible that it is frustrating beyond relief (with no hope of overpowering the quest... my engineer has been stuck on a lvl 28 quest since the beginning...)

It could have been fantastic but it is barely passable due to these limitations. It is not a hazard if blizzard has simplified the silly things in wow... guild wars should have thought about it too...

WvW is very well thought but individual contributions are pretty much close to zero so the strategy is either zerg grouping or smaller "pro" groups which is boring after a while

I see this game performing very well over time but will require a LOT of refining to keep players in. NC Soft does not care because there are no subscription.

In some respect this game gave me the same feeling as TOR: an initial "Waouw" and then "but..... why did they... why didn't they....?"

Sad...
  95. Jul 21, 2013
    Ok, i will try to be as impartial as i can be.

The game itself isn't really SO bad. I can't say it's innovative, anyway. Only somebody who clearly didn't play enough different MMORPGs in his life can say this game is innovative. The PVE is basically a re-adaptation of the "public questing" introduced by Warhammer Online and already more or less adopted by Rift. The game on the
    Ok, i will try to be as impartial as i can be.

The game itself isn't really SO bad. I can't say it's innovative, anyway.

The game on the first months feeled playable but on the end really empty, you had a various number of things to do to achieve a single thing: lvl80 and achievement points.

What i really don't like about this game is the incredible overrating about it.

Seriously guys, did you even play anything else which wasn't complete crap?

This game is playable, but it's not awesome at all, it's just a mediocre readaptation of things already seen on a lot of different MMOs.

The thing that really makes me angry instead is the fact that EVERYBODY IGNORES that this is actually Not only a Item Mall freemium game (despite having a high retail price) But it's also pay2win, mostly on the beginning.

Is it really sufficient to hide the "money selling" behind a couple of steps you need to do... to make it completely invisible? people doesn't feel like the game is pay2win, they doesn't even seem to notice that is actually possible.

The whole game is full of anti-goldseller mechanics (like not being able to send money throught mail/ no direct trading avaiable) and they state it's because goldsellers spoils the game.

But, OMG, you are doing it!! you are selling golds, how can you say something like that when the only reason for doing that is not wanting to have competitors?

I'm seriously embarassed by a lot of things, several sites state this game as "free 2 play" while they state other games like Path of Exile as "item mall" games, SERIOUSLY?

Are they at least getting money for doing things as ridiculous as this one, i wonder?

By the way this game isn't either good or bad overall, if you force yourself to believe this is the best MMORPG of the moment you can maybe actually get to believe it, hopefully that's not true.

So try to open your eyes and notice that there are many other games offering better things at a lower prices than this one.
  96. Jan 2, 2013
    From a PvP perspective this game is 100% fail. No comment on PvE as it's limited (no raiding) and dungeons are bugged and extremely limited w/out holy trinity. GW1 was an amazing game and we all had high hopes for the PvP in the sequel. There are only a few PvP maps and they are all capture the point. Balancing is unbelievably bad and the developers make idiotic, boneheaded classFrom a PvP perspective this game is 100% fail. No comment on PvE as it's limited (no raiding) and dungeons are bugged and extremely limited w/out holy trinity. GW1 was an amazing game and we all had high hopes for the PvP in the sequel. There are only a few PvP maps and they are all capture the point. Balancing is unbelievably bad and the developers make idiotic, boneheaded class balance tweaks every month or so that satisfy nobody. No public test servers! Only TWO (yes two) developers working on class balance for the entire game, and they seem to be completely clueless about the game. This game may be more suited for casual players, but for people serious about PvP, it is a major, massive step back from GW1 and a very big disappointment. Expand
  97. Sep 27, 2012
    Ok, time to finally let this drop. i tried to give them time and it was (fortunately for them) a busy month, but it wasnt enough.

Guild Wars 2 is the latest in a growing line of mmorpgs (IT IS NOT AN ACTION GAME!) that are severely over hyped and under developed. Despite all their nonsense about not releasing it "until its done" what we have is bugs across every possible system in the game. Almost asif NC Soft said "finish it up or we are not paying you" and they did. From account security (always fun having 200+ emails fill your inbox to tell you that ip addys from china are attempting to log into your account) to quests in general (there is nothing "dynamic" about scripted events sorry kids) bugs bugs bugs. Perhaps if they had done a proper beta test instead of a bunch of B/S hype generating weekends they could have fixed them before launch... but no, the AH still goes down daily, the guilds bug daily... there is nothing that isnt broken on this game!

Visually it falls short of the mark too, while they assured us it would "support dx10" LIES! the closest thing to this game is honestly AOC, both in the amount of hype concerning it, and the dismal product that got released.

Gameplay... [tab]1-2-3-4 ever heard that one? well thats all you are getting here too.

Sound- the sound is really good actually, too bad it is the LEAST important thing about a game! But hey, they atleast got something right... although its kind of stupid to be told you have been poisoned 3 min after it wears off... but again BUGS!

Over all i would give it a solid 5, meaning that this game is average in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY. It is not above average on ANY level! But seeing all the BULLS HIT 10's i am going to do the right thing and drop it. if anyone actually reads this theyll know the truth, otherwise metacritic is kind of a crap metric since it LETS B/S scores through.. even on such a MASSIVE turd such as guild wars 2.

i cant express enough what a totally disappointing turd this game is.
  98. Oct 5, 2012
    Like many of you I have been disappointed by so many games over the years but I decided to get Guildwars 2 yesterday and it is awesome!
    I am a MMO fan and have enjoyed playing such games as WOW, SW:TOR, Everquest 2, Rift and Tera but I have to say Guildwars 2 blows them away. There is so much to do and see. Believe the hype!
  99. Oct 5, 2012
    In my life i've played a lot og MMO's, and i thought than Guild Wars 2 would be an average MMO. But when I saw some trailers and read a bit more about this game, i found it very interesting and i was right. After playing on the closed beta test i understood that it was the most amazing game I've ever played. There is a lot of features and describing all of them can take a lot of time.In my life i've played a lot og MMO's, and i thought than Guild Wars 2 would be an average MMO. But when I saw some trailers and read a bit more about this game, i found it very interesting and i was right. After playing on the closed beta test i understood that it was the most amazing game I've ever played. There is a lot of features and describing all of them can take a lot of time. Usually, as it often happens with games which are having too many "cool things", these games looks like cut piece of cake and when you begin playing for the first time you will say:"Yes, it's amazing, but after some hours you will understand that this game can't provide you everything it was told about in the beginning. But not in Guild Wars 2, each elements of the game looks like the hole piece of one cake.
    In my opinion it is the best MMO game of last five years
  100. Oct 6, 2012
    It's pretty exciting to have an MMORPG that doesn't kick you out of immersion in the fantasy on a regular basis. The story is nice, it isn't over the top epic quite yet, and while your personal stake in the story takes place in instanced zone, it still happens in the game world not some other place. A large portion of the story occurs in the open world as well, allowing for freeIt's pretty exciting to have an MMORPG that doesn't kick you out of immersion in the fantasy on a regular basis. The story is nice, it isn't over the top epic quite yet, and while your personal stake in the story takes place in instanced zone, it still happens in the game world not some other place. A large portion of the story occurs in the open world as well, allowing for free participation and rewarding all who do participate.

When you find a new area, rather than looking for a quest hub, you just explore and things will pop up on the side of the screen letting you know what's happening and how you can help. There are still quests out there that aren't like this, but for the most part you are adventuring to adventure.

Loot is useful in some way, either by salvaging or actually using for long spreads of game play making any reward at least partially valuable.

Even if you don't like the game play, or if you are a dedicated adherent to some other MMO, I recommend looking at GW2 and checking out the various tools for making playing with alts and crafting much less cumbersome. Crafting materials all go in to a shared character inventory with a limit I have yet to reach on how many of what can be stored. Banking is also shared. This allows a player to back up their main with crafting alts, allowing them to never leave the field, putting materials into their crafting inventory and then accessing their crafted goods from the bank later. This also gives your alts a way to levelup from crafting xp to help them along their way.

Equipment looks amazing also. While some items do suffer from the floating pauldrons effect seen in other titles, you can turn these items off visually. The armor slots are also far more interesting than the skin tight armor textured pajamas from DDO, WoW and others. A coat looks like a coat, skirts can go anywhere from just covering your bum to knee length or the floor. Using the whole body to add multiple shapes makes the world look a lot more reasonable than most other item designs we see in MMOs.
    Without getting to endgame, I'm already very satisfied with this purchase. The only major short comings are the pay walls around keys to randomly dropped chests, you get way more chests than keys. and the pay wall around the amount of alts you can have (5 for free) and inventory space.
  101. Feb 1, 2013
    So i used to played guild wars 1 a LOT!!!!
    And i missed it and loved it........so i bought this and was hoping for more of the same.
    A game that didten focus on grinding but skill instead! A game were skill would matter more than time! But unfortunately guild wars 2 seems a bit the oppersite, only really skill based feature left fro me seems to be the dodging.......and thats only
    So i used to played guild wars 1 a LOT!!!!

A game that didten focus on grinding but skill instead!
    A game were skill would matter more than time!

But unfortunately guild wars 2 seems a bit the oppersite, only really skill based feature left fro me seems to be the dodging.......and thats only really good vs range attacks.
    The PvE seems pointless easy, click and wait more or less.

used to be fun and challenging, picking the right skill and weapon for the right mob.
    Sure it used to suck when you got a bad team for an instance....but it also gave a rewarding feeling when you made it.
    Now i get the feeling of "what happened? Did i win? Apprently so?"
    And again the grinding...."sigh"
    In guild wars 1 a "grinder" was a noob in a fancy armor that didten do anything.

I dont even like what they done about the grafics.......seems you get a lightshow for just for swining a sword.
    I guess thats a personal opinion but I like magic and badass creatures in a world to feel magic. and not something that comes out of my belt buckel for no particular reason.

Didten really like the skill system in guild wars 1 but now i miss it :P

Once this was a skill based game.
    Now its just a standard MMORPG like all the others.

1. PC Master (Greece)