• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Sep 17, 2012
    The game is astonishing, I have played WoW for 6 years and every other MMO I haven't even bothered to try, all of them have been the same. Finally a game breaks the mold. I quit WoW almost a year ago now (DS my final raid after raiding everything since Vanilla). I won't sit and explain what most of the critics have already said, suffice to say, even if you don't like RPG's or MMO's, giveThe game is astonishing, I have played WoW for 6 years and every other MMO I haven't even bothered to try, all of them have been the same. Finally a game breaks the mold. I quit WoW almost a year ago now (DS my final raid after raiding everything since Vanilla). I won't sit and explain what most of the critics have already said, suffice to say, even if you don't like RPG's or MMO's, give the game a go, it has something for everyone. Expand
  2. Sep 11, 2012
    This MMO is amazing. It does ape so many of the mechanics that make MMOs great (and, yes, if you're sole intention is to level up you will certainly be grinding), but it's ambitious in so many ways. Events are dynamic, so in just roaming the country side you'll find yourself joining in on dynamic world events, harvesting resources to craft weapons, armor, and jewelery or even justThis MMO is amazing. It does ape so many of the mechanics that make MMOs great (and, yes, if you're sole intention is to level up you will certainly be grinding), but it's ambitious in so many ways. Events are dynamic, so in just roaming the country side you'll find yourself joining in on dynamic world events, harvesting resources to craft weapons, armor, and jewelery or even just traveling to all sites marked on world map for the completionist players. I must say, however, that the greatest thing about it is the Black Lion Trading company, GW2's online market. Ever get tired of storing stuff in your inventory just to sell them back in town? Right click on your inventory objects and sell them right away on Black Lion - you'll get money for them later when people buy what you posted. So awesome. Tired of grinding for gold to buy armor on Black Lion? If you're like me, paypaling ten dollars is definitely the way to go - the gold I got in return was more than enough to amp up my character and still have plenty left over for my character bank account. I'm on level 45 so far and GW2 remains one of my favorite games this year. GW2 is a triumph of the genre and you're missing out if you don't pick it up. Expand
  3. Sep 27, 2012
    GW2 is a fantastic MMO that has made a great change to how MMO's will operate in the future (at least i hope) . Graphics for this game are amazing, however, needs a good spec PC to run. The game has a wise variety of classes and unique skills for every race. Not necessarily classed into tank, healer, DPS but you are able to customise every class to what you like. Personal story starts offGW2 is a fantastic MMO that has made a great change to how MMO's will operate in the future (at least i hope) . Graphics for this game are amazing, however, needs a good spec PC to run. The game has a wise variety of classes and unique skills for every race. Not necessarily classed into tank, healer, DPS but you are able to customise every class to what you like. Personal story starts off amazing until around level 60 where I personally found it fell off. Questing is made fun and the dynamic events are great fun when in a large group of players, however some areas lacked event number and variety. WvWvW is a brilliant idea, however slightly imbalanced at the moment due to servers starting up. Exp gaining is solid all the way through, grinding is taken out of levelling, however farming materials did become tedious. Dungeons were very difficult, however, were very fun to play through once I found for narrative purposes. Other issues I found is that auction house took a while to fix, some personal story quests were bugged and some hearts quests were very difficult to complete compared to others. Also there is a limited amount of lvl 80 content at the moment which is disappointing, however, they still need to complete the rest of the map. Would love to see flying mounts to show off the scenery more as well as more variety in WvWvW, maybe a few extra weapons and finally more tough dragons.
    Can't wait to play the expansions that will hopefully be arriving!!
  4. Aug 29, 2012
    First off, as usual, don't believe most of the negative user reviews. They are by and large written by so-called "fanboys" of other competing MMORPGs. You will find the same phenomenon going on with all of those types of games, as well as "COD" vs "BF" fans etc.

Guild Wars II is, in one word, refreshing. I'm someone who has been playing MMOs since the mid 90s when they first came on

Guild Wars II is, in one word, refreshing.

I'm someone who has been playing MMOs since the mid 90s when they first came on the market as graphical MUDs, like Sierra's The Realm. I've played great games like Lineage, EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot and many others. The first breathe of fresh air injected into MMO's came with the highly polished and now legendary World of Warcraft. But it's now 2012 and even legends get old and dull when you've played them for several years, let alone 7-8. Other major MMO releases of late have never been able to compare to WoW. Until now.

Guild Wars II is a breathe of fresh air, and sets entirely new standards for graphics, environments, combat, and flexibility of game systems. The game lets YOU decide what you want to do. No grinding involved. The PVP is massive and very well balanced and enjoyable even for non-PVP fans like me. The PVE system has no real quests per se apart from your personal story which is based on your character race, and a 'task' system where you go around helping certain NPCs how you see fit. But where Guild Wars 2 really shines is in dynamic events. The world changes according to player input. And the result feels... massive.

Best of all: No subscription.
  5. Sep 5, 2012
    Simply put, if you give the game your time, you will get the fun the game allows. It starts you right into the action, and craving more in between. I've been excited for this game since its announcement; I was a huge GW fan. But to say the least, this game has still beaten my expectations even 72+ hours into game, and i don't see it getting boring anytime soon. Skipping the details, thisSimply put, if you give the game your time, you will get the fun the game allows. It starts you right into the action, and craving more in between. I've been excited for this game since its announcement; I was a huge GW fan. But to say the least, this game has still beaten my expectations even 72+ hours into game, and i don't see it getting boring anytime soon. Skipping the details, this game deserves a 10. The story is really well thought out, though the dialog can be a bit strange, and the combat system is fresh into the MMO scene, considering GW1 technically wasn't an MMO. That being said, this game feels like an RPG, and still sucks you in like the best of the best MMOs. So do yourself a favor by getting this game. Without a subscription fee, its impossible to pass the temptation. Expand
  6. Sep 3, 2012
    Played the betas, and read all the hype. I'm max level now, and it was even BETTER than expected. By FAR the most meaningful dynamic combat system in any MMO, despite not advertising it. Dodging and positioning actually matters in this game, unlike TERA or Mabinogi Legends where it's mostly for show. If you're not dodging in the endgame dungeons, you're gonna die. That's it. Graphics notPlayed the betas, and read all the hype. I'm max level now, and it was even BETTER than expected. By FAR the most meaningful dynamic combat system in any MMO, despite not advertising it. Dodging and positioning actually matters in this game, unlike TERA or Mabinogi Legends where it's mostly for show. If you're not dodging in the endgame dungeons, you're gonna die. That's it. Graphics not the best but big MMOs always have toned down graphics to attract more people. GREAT armor design. Not stupidly sexy or ridiculously fantastic, but fashionable and realistic. The only game with similar amount of content is WoW. SWTOR, Aion, TERA, Secret World etc don't even come close. And best of all, NO PAY2WIN. Only pay4skins. There isn't a single item in the shop that makes you better at PvP. Like Guild Wars 1, GW2 has staying power. Games like Aion and Rift quickly dropped to a few thousand concurrent players, GW1 still has several times that amount after 7 years. GW2 will be even better. Expand
  7. Sep 8, 2012
    Fresh, innovative, social... Guild Wars 2 has it all and a lot more. Beautiful Art and Graphics, wonderful Soundtrack by the messiah of the Games Industry Jeremy Soule, 3 Worlds in glorious and ever changing Battles, structured Team PvP, etc. the list goes on and on and on. No Subscription Fee, No Pay-to-Win, No **** To quote a famous Youtube Critic: Bad-Ass Seal of Approval 10/10,Fresh, innovative, social... Guild Wars 2 has it all and a lot more. Beautiful Art and Graphics, wonderful Soundtrack by the messiah of the Games Industry Jeremy Soule, 3 Worlds in glorious and ever changing Battles, structured Team PvP, etc. the list goes on and on and on. No Subscription Fee, No Pay-to-Win, No **** To quote a famous Youtube Critic: Bad-Ass Seal of Approval 10/10, Legendary Status.

This is the first MMO of the next Generation. Not a revolution, but a huge step of evolution. And a call to to arms for the entire Industry.
  8. Aug 29, 2012
    realy realy realy beautifull!

i havn't had this feeling since vanilla/tbc WoW. and i'm serious! have been waiting on diablo 3 since WOTLK and i got very dissapointed after all those years waiting, and i must say that i havn't felt this feeling that i have in GW 2 in YEARS. this game rocks, it looks nice, combat is cool, environment rocks!, custumization is nice, most important it
    realy realy realy beautifull!

i havn't had this feeling since vanilla/tbc WoW. and i'm serious!

this game rocks, it looks nice, combat is cool, environment rocks!, custumization is nice, most important it plays fluid en cool! and heck it has no subscribtion!

I thought i was going to play diablo3 for 5/10 years, but i havn't seen this fun since the release of it!
    Guild wars took my heart within the beta's and now when it is released it swallowed me even more.

Can't wait to get home and continue the pvp tournament i started yesterday :D

i'm on my work right now and i realy miss it to play my character, well if that occurs i really know the game is good!
  9. Aug 28, 2012
    The next evolution in MMO gaming. It may not be revolutionary as an entire package, though there are some revolutionary ideas like the Overflow servers. GW2 will easily become the next touchstone for all MMO games to follow as WoW was before it. GW2 takes the same approach WoW took when it revolutionized the MMORPG genre - take what works, make it better, throw out what doesn't work and doThe next evolution in MMO gaming. It may not be revolutionary as an entire package, though there are some revolutionary ideas like the Overflow servers. GW2 will easily become the next touchstone for all MMO games to follow as WoW was before it. GW2 takes the same approach WoW took when it revolutionized the MMORPG genre - take what works, make it better, throw out what doesn't work and do something better. PvE via Dynamic Events, structured PvP, World vs. World and a host of other game elements like crafting, exploration, and community friendly open world interaction make this MMO a gem the likes of which we haven't seen in ages.

GW2 brings back that sense of wanderlust and adventure and just plain FUN many of us MMO veterans have felt the genre has been lacking for far too long.

Best of all, there is no subscription fee and despite a few launch hiccups Anet has delivered a AAA quality title at a F2P price point. If you are a fan of RPGs and/or MMORPG's you need to buy GW2. Period.
  10. Aug 28, 2012
    I don't like rating games with a 10 until it's a true winner. Also I haven't played long enough for it to have reasons to rate it "perfect". I'll make it short and simple for you, though:

Buy it. Own it. Play it. Enjoy!
  11. Aug 28, 2012
    Smoothest MMO launch in the history of the genre and one of the most innovative MMOs in the industry, as well as just plainly fun.
    Take everything that you thought you knew about MMORPGs and throw it out the window, this game isn't anything like what you've played in the past. All of the boring, and dull things that run rampant in the MMO genre like a disease are absent in this game.
    Skills, attacks and combat are dynamic and everything matters. For once standing behind a pillar when something attacks you will actually save you, and sometimes the pillar may even crumble under a brutal attack, leaving you exposed to another attack. You can dodge out of the way of attacks, avoiding damage all together. You can actually move while attacking. If you like to explore virtual worlds then are you in for a treat, there are tons of areas to explore and a very large chunk of experience to reward you for exploring regions of the map.
    The sidekick system keeps you from drastically out leveling content, by scaling down your character to at most of 2 levels above the content of the area the character is in. You can actually go play with your friends and/or family without having to waste time or feel generally unrewarded for doing so, because guess what you'll still gain all the relevant rewards as if you were out and about in an area more appropriate to your character's actual level. When armor or weapon loot drops the item level is in a very close range of what you're character's actual level is, sometimes even above, so yes you can kill a level 1 centaur and get a level 80 2 handed axe while helping out someone new to the game.
    Speaking of helping people out, this game removes any form of penalty MMORPG's usually place on playing with other people. Mobs don't get tagged, if you do damage to it, you are rewarded xp and loot. People working on the same quests or events in your area doesn't slow down your progression, it actually speeds it up. Loot is always dropped on a personal basis, no loot roles or fights.
    Speaking of loots and fights, the game has truly epic fights, the scale of which has not been seen in the genre for a long time. The game by design has zero raiding, as set up by EQ and WoW. There is no instance of a dungeon where you need to gather a large number of people in order to then decide who gets what on boss drops. Instead there are these huge outdoor dynamic events that players can trigger and participate in. Then when all is said and done, everyone gets their own loot, with at least once piece (usually get anywhere from 3 to 5) being an upgrade of some sort.

The pvp in the game is awesome. The game was built nearly from the ground up to support PvP rather than have PvE built first with PvP then added on later, hence why the combat for the game is so amazing. There are two general forms, there is the Structured pvp, and the World vs World pvp.
    Structured pvp are capture the area to accumulate point races.
    Then World vs World is an insanely large map where servers are pitted against one another with keeps, castles, siege weapons, varried terrain, npc mercenaries, basically everything needed to make huge epic battles. To top it all off it's not just one server against another, it's three servers in a free for all, and the fight is always going on. Various landmarks such as towers, farms, lumber camps, keeps and castles are tallied up every hour or so and the servers holding them are awarded points, with a final point count made at the end of a week. Then servers are ranked and then everything starts over again with evenly ranked servers fighting against one another.

Going back to PvE the personal story and level of customization for characters is amazing and blows away anything done in the past. The personal story you set up puts a lot of emphasis on your choices, make poor choices, or choose things that you don't have your heart set and you'll probably end up with a crummy story. On the other hand if you pick your choices carefully you can end up with a truly awesome story, like a 007 pirate (yes that is a real option, pick carefully!).

The crafting system is awesome and I've run into a lot of people that have gotten just absorbed into it, people who normally don't like crafting systems. To start off with, crafting supplies don't take room in your inventory for the most part, you pick them up, and you can then send them to a personal stash from anywhere in the world, and then when you go to a crafting table inside a major city or town you then have access to that stash, and you can begin crafting. You can either stick with recipes trainers will give you, or you can try to experiment with various pieces and if you discover something new you are rewarded with lots of skill points in that craft.
  12. Aug 28, 2012
    Awesome game and awesome value. The game is well designed and highly refined. The graphics and the world they created are incredible. This game is so deep, there is so much to do and so much to learn, and every thing is well thought out and balanced. It definitely has a different feel from any other MMO I've played, in a good way. There are a lot of good ideas here that have beenAwesome game and awesome value. The game is well designed and highly refined. The graphics and the world they created are incredible. This game is so deep, there is so much to do and so much to learn, and every thing is well thought out and balanced. It definitely has a different feel from any other MMO I've played, in a good way. There are a lot of good ideas here that have been executed well. The PvP is blast. I have experienced no server issues, no bugs nothing.
    I will be playing this game for years to come because there is so much here. This game is highly recommended.
  13. Aug 31, 2012
    Awesome game, no subscriptions. This game is perfect for what you want in an mmo. Arena net set a standard here folks. Don't be shy come join in on the fun and no more subscription based games!
  14. Aug 28, 2012
    WOW... and not world of warcraft, this game is amazing. i cant belive this game is so good the way it is. i also have come to the conclusion that why the **** did i have to pay for wow when this game is better than it??? in a nutshell this game is GREAT dont think about it, just buy it. im happy that i actualy bought a game that is actualy fun.

diablo 3 sucks so bad, im very thankful

diablo 3 sucks so bad, im very thankful for this game to come as i felt we were doomed!!
  15. Aug 28, 2012
    While I could rant on and on about why I think this game is amazing, I will say that unlike other recent MMORPGs (that feel like single player), Guild Wars 2 brings back the Massive Multiplayer Online in MMORPGs. And I wouln't want it any other ways in the MMORPGs I play.
  16. Aug 29, 2012
    While I worry that it might still be too early to make any lasting judgments, through my time in beta and playing live GW2 is one of the best MMO experiences I've had to date. The game shines as much for its innovations and new ideas as it does for the decision not to include some of what has become standard fare in MMOs over the last decade. The level of polish and detail in the game isWhile I worry that it might still be too early to make any lasting judgments, through my time in beta and playing live GW2 is one of the best MMO experiences I've had to date. The game shines as much for its innovations and new ideas as it does for the decision not to include some of what has become standard fare in MMOs over the last decade. The level of polish and detail in the game is deeply impressive, visuals are wonderful and the creative approach to flexible play is a breath of fresh air.

Many will write on the quality of dynamic events, the A+ PvP and other popular aspects of GW2 but one of the aspects I've most appreciated is the subtle rewarding of exploration. Progression in GW2 is easy if one is a progression-minded player, but for those of us who like to search around and relax throughout the game there are a host of treats and surprises that might otherwise go easily overlooked.
  17. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a fun time. There is obviously room for improvement and they are patching it constantly. This headstart weekend there were 3? patches that improved stability and fixed some issues. I have not dabbled in the PvP because between the PvE and WvW I have my hands full. To address some of the lower reviews. If you hit a wall where you have run out of quests to do in your area youGuild Wars 2 is a fun time. There is obviously room for improvement and they are patching it constantly. This headstart weekend there were 3? patches that improved stability and fixed some issues. I have not dabbled in the PvP because between the PvE and WvW I have my hands full. To address some of the lower reviews. If you hit a wall where you have run out of quests to do in your area you can simply go to any other area in the game and GW2 will "equalize" you to that areas level. If you get banned from the game for 3 days it is in the TOS - that is your warning. Again the game is missing some things - like a functioning Trading Post, along with some other things from your typical MMO that are missed - such as an inspect function and a trade function; everything is via mail. On a completely unrelated note - the dyes are awesome. Expand
  18. Aug 28, 2012
    An excellent MMO that while following the usual tropes of a themepark MMO, significantly improves and expands them. While combat may take some getting used to, it is a far richer experience than most alternatives. Unlike the traditional MMO combat system, player movement and tactical finesse is a critical part of success. Progression through the game's 80 levels is a joy and a multitude ofAn excellent MMO that while following the usual tropes of a themepark MMO, significantly improves and expands them. While combat may take some getting used to, it is a far richer experience than most alternatives. Unlike the traditional MMO combat system, player movement and tactical finesse is a critical part of success. Progression through the game's 80 levels is a joy and a multitude of options are available for gathering experience, from crafting and PvE to PvP combat in both massive cross server fights, or tactical battleground settings of 10-16 players. Expand
  19. Aug 28, 2012
    The game is absolutely stunning. Although it is lacking some dx11 features, the graphic artists created a beautiful world, the presentation and the art direction as simply spectacular. The old boring quest system has been replaced with an intuitive and unique mechanic called Dynamic Events. These change the landscape considerably and offer a variety of ways to progress them, there areThe game is absolutely stunning. Although it is lacking some dx11 features, the graphic artists created a beautiful world, the presentation and the art direction as simply spectacular. The old boring quest system has been replaced with an intuitive and unique mechanic called Dynamic Events. These change the landscape considerably and offer a variety of ways to progress them, there are events that spawn after a failure. NPCs don't just stand still waiting to give quests to players, they interract with each other and then environment. The NPCs tell a story, and it is a mistake not to stay awhile and listen and to that story unfold in front of your eyes (and ears) and instead run for the exp. This creates a living breathing world that responds to player action, the game feels alive like no other and your actions actually have a meaning, they change the surroundings and offer new posibilities.
    Exploring is key in the game, there is just so much to be found in the world of Tyria, coupled with the amazing scenery and art direction, you are never bored of looking to the vast landscape and exploring to your heart's content. There are well hidden places to be found, jumping puzzles and hidden treasures that are there to be found by expert explorers.
    Combat is very well done, active and up-close and personal. There is no aggro mechanic or any kind of passive block and to-hit mechanisms, it's all up to the player to either hit or be hit by enemies. The game has distinct professions that offer variable abilities for every situation. Each one can perform control damage and support tasks, to a certain extend, marking the end of the holy trinity that plagued RPGs for so long.
  20. Aug 28, 2012
    I think lots of the 0-3 reviews here are extremely biased. Problems on launch day, really? Doesn't play like WoW or whereever you come from? go figure. I love the game so far, it's better than every other MMORPG I played so far in almost every aspect.
  21. Aug 28, 2012
    I've looked through many of the negative reviews for this game, and every single one is making assumptions about the game which simply aren't true. I'm tired of seeing people who played the game for an hour complain about features of the game that they have not fully experienced, or don't understand yet. For example, one person complains that you can't play together because of overflowI've looked through many of the negative reviews for this game, and every single one is making assumptions about the game which simply aren't true. I'm tired of seeing people who played the game for an hour complain about features of the game that they have not fully experienced, or don't understand yet. For example, one person complains that you can't play together because of overflow servers, when you can easily just right click on a party member and 'Join In' on their overflow server. Not to mention overflow servers will become less necessary as the playerbase expands across the world. Right now everyone is in the 1-30 levels so yeah, there's overflow servers. But there's also no queues to get in and play.

Some others complained about the skill system. Saying it is too limited. GW2 uses a weapon skill system that gives you five skills based on your weapon(s) and complains that this makes it 'generic.' I don't know how anyone can say that every class having many different sets of skills available to them is somehow more limited than every class having exactly the same cookie cutter skills. An elementalist specced around dagger+focus is extremely different from an elementalist specced around the staff. A warrior specced around sword+shield is completely different from a warrior specced around the rifle. This system creates classes within classes. It isn't limiting at all.

Speaking of skills, another person complained that you only get a handful of skills compared to other MMOs. This isn't true. Weapon swapping is an important part of gameplay. During combat most classes can swap between two sets of weapons, giving them ten weapon skills plus their healing/utility skills. The fewest number of skills a class can have available at a time is 16. In the case of elementalists, they can swap attunements between four elements giving them 20 weapon skills plus their 5 healing/utility skills. 25 total. The engineer gets kits that replace their weapon skills with special engineer-only skills, and they can carry three of these kits at a time, and each utility skill gives them a special ability that they can use at any time, regardless of whether the kit is active or not. This comes out to 5 weapon skills, 15 kit skills, 2 healing abilities, and 2 elite abilities. For a total of 24.

There is plenty of variety, IMO more than other MMOs by a longshot. Not to mention that while other MMOs have very samey abilities, virtually every ability in GW2 is interesting, unique, and beautiful to watch. Characters will leap at foes and dance around them evading blows. But a lot of this is unlocked over time as you play the game.

Others complain about the questing system. This is a game about exploration where you can travel where you want and do what you want, and have that progress be meaningful and develop your character. You can get through the entire game without doing a single 'kill ten rats' quest if you wish. Or without doing a single 'collect ten flowers' quest. The free-roaming nature of the questing system obviously throws some people off, but I for one would never go back. And for those who enjoy more linear quests, the personal stories provide beautifully scripted quests where you have to make choices about things that directly impact your character's life.

Events are somewhat generic in the early starting areas of the game, but they quickly evolve into deeply satisfying contested areas where forts change hands and entire areas once friendly are overrun with enemies. I've stood on the walls of a fortress in the Shiverpeaks and rained fire on invading enemies, only to be pushed out of the fortress. And after rallying together with other players, we stormed the fortress and took it back from the invaders. No this was not PvP, this was Players versus Events. Until you've experienced chained events with world-changing results, you haven't experienced Events.

I've played in all the beta weekends and in the headstart. It might just be the best game I have ever played, and I never thought I'd say that about an MMO. Everything is polished to a perfect shine. Its gameplay, unlike every other MMO I have played, would not lose its appeal even in a single player setting. This is truly a revolutionary game in the MMO genre, and it makes sense that some people aren't going to get it right away. But that just means that you might want to think twice before taking the advice of someone who played the game for an hour and thinks he's seen enough to rate it.
  22. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the best MMORPG that I've played in a loooooong time and it definitely raises the bar for future MMORPGs. Awesome game? Check. Buy once? Check. No subscription? Check. Haters gon' hate? Check. After playing GW2 - I don't see myself playing any other MMORPG for a long, loooooong time. This doesn't mean GW2 doesn't have its flaws - but NOTHING comes close to the awesomenessGuild Wars 2 is the best MMORPG that I've played in a loooooong time and it definitely raises the bar for future MMORPGs. Awesome game? Check. Buy once? Check. No subscription? Check. Haters gon' hate? Check. After playing GW2 - I don't see myself playing any other MMORPG for a long, loooooong time. This doesn't mean GW2 doesn't have its flaws - but NOTHING comes close to the awesomeness of this game. Once ArenaNet starts releasing expansion packs to introduce more content, this game will be the new king of MMORPGs if it isn't already. Expand
  23. Aug 28, 2012
    14 year MMO vet here. GW2 is the best MMO since WoW, maybe in forever. Massive, immersive world, tons of fun content and fun over all game play. Definitely one of the largest, most beautiful MMO worlds since Vanilla WoW, with plenty of redundancy to further increase re-playability. Combat is fun and dynamic. Professions are well designed and offer a lot of variety. Everyone has a self14 year MMO vet here. GW2 is the best MMO since WoW, maybe in forever. Massive, immersive world, tons of fun content and fun over all game play. Definitely one of the largest, most beautiful MMO worlds since Vanilla WoW, with plenty of redundancy to further increase re-playability. Combat is fun and dynamic. Professions are well designed and offer a lot of variety. Everyone has a self heal, no dedicated healers in this game. The game has a lot of innovative features that not only work well on their own, but the entire game comes together to produce something much greater than the sum of all it's parts.

Between beta events and the three day head start, I've already logged 200 hours of game play. The fun and sense of discovery has never waned and I look forward to playing this game for the long haul!

Too many MMOs in recent years have failed to offer much beyond a month of play for many players. It's great to see a new MMO that has the content, world and game play to support a long term commitment from the players. Guild Wars 2 sets a new bar for MMO design that will be very difficult to match or exceed in the next few years. Unless there is some game in development somewhere that can outdo what GW2 has done, this is going to be THE game for many MMO players for the next year, or even a few years, depending on how well Arenanet are able to build upon the game via future expansion.

A final note, there is no subscription fee, which is amazing, since the game offers more than any game since WoW launched as far as world size, content, features, etc... You aren't getting a discount experience due to the lack of subscription fee. If you do like the game and keep playing, you might want to consider making use of the Gem Store, as a way to support the game and it's further development financially. Nothing in the store is pay to Win or even provides an unfair advantage, but there are things like character slots, expanded vault space, etc... that will be useful to almost everyone. Dropping $10 on gems every once in a while, in lieu of a subscription fee, will provide some nice account upgrades or even some fluff cosmetic items, while ensuring the future successful expansion of the game moving forward. To sum up, the game is massive, fun, immersive, with a huge world space, tons of content, breadth of features and depth of game play pretty much unparalleled by other current games in the MMORPG genre. If you are an MMO fan, you can't go wrong for $60. For many, this is a game that will provide hundreds or even thousands of hours of game play. There is no better entertainment value for your dollar!
  24. Aug 28, 2012
    I'm not one to review many games, but I felt this was worth sharing. This game is too addicting, visually very pleasing, and alluring. Guild Wars 2 = Wife Aggro
  25. Aug 28, 2012
    I have to the say, this is the best MMO I have played in years. Most new MMOs that came out are WOW clones (or same style) and nothing new. This one has all the best features of the best mmos out there, dynamic quests -> Rift.

Only thing that is lacking is the dungeons. They are too hard to do without the standard TANK/HEALER/DMG. Needs a better dungeon strategy.
  26. Sep 29, 2012
    One of the best games out there. It's clear as day that the large majority of these "negative reviews" are coming from people who have not even played the game and are either just trolling to be miserable trolls or are mad because their game might be failing in some way (SWTOR, Kung Fu Panda)
  27. Aug 28, 2012
    Great game. Awesome combat mechanics, graphics, sounds, animations, etc. Currently missing the trading post and with some minor bugs; haven't found any game breaking bugs
  28. Aug 28, 2012
    This game makes me feel like the biggest completionist. As a long-time MMO fan who never could get into WoW, I have been hinging my hopes on GW2 to deliver a solid, genuinely fun experience. It does all this and more. Suddenly gameplay doesn't feel like a grind and I focus less on what my level is and more on exploration, discovery, and just enjoying the gorgeous variety of the world. TheThis game makes me feel like the biggest completionist. As a long-time MMO fan who never could get into WoW, I have been hinging my hopes on GW2 to deliver a solid, genuinely fun experience. It does all this and more. Suddenly gameplay doesn't feel like a grind and I focus less on what my level is and more on exploration, discovery, and just enjoying the gorgeous variety of the world. The great thing is that this game is perfectly suited for all kinds of players - those who just want to experience the story, those who are interested solely in PvP, crafters, achievement-hunters, explorers. The game is massive, yet nothing feels like it was stretched too thin. The long wait for Guild Wars 2 was more than worth it for me. Expand
  29. Aug 28, 2012
    The is game is the revolution. Ive been waiting for 5 years for this game and exceeded all of my expectations and then some! It just raised the bar for not just for mmo standards but on how to make a game in general.
  30. Aug 28, 2012
    So people are going to complain about certain things broke? Fine, but when you're dealing with 400k CONCURRENT users online, unforeseen issues will occur. For what it's worth, it is THE smoothest launch of ANY game. Yes, even Warcraft. They have delivered on numerous occasions, spilled their souls into the story, content, and technical systems. It's not about pressing "1" multipleSo people are going to complain about certain things broke? Fine, but when you're dealing with 400k CONCURRENT users online, unforeseen issues will occur. For what it's worth, it is THE smoothest launch of ANY game. Yes, even Warcraft. They have delivered on numerous occasions, spilled their souls into the story, content, and technical systems. It's not about pressing "1" multiple times: it's about knowing when to use your abilities at the proper times. There is something that has been missing to MMO's: fun. This game delivers that on so many levels WITHOUT Skinner box feelies through the levels. This allows the person playing to feel fulfilled even to the end of their PVE route of levels, without the taste of ash. Those who base their judgments or parallel this game with others: you just can't. You can't say that every fantasy setting is the same as the next. You want to parallel it with a game then do it with Warhammer--the game it was set out to be for in the first place. Guild Wars 2 has no hype train: it's the people playing the game telling others it's time to try something unique and higher quality. As for graphics, if you don't apply some kind of spectrum of quality for people, you limit the amount of people to play the game. Sure, it doesn't have SUPER QUAD GRAPHICS OF NEXT GENNING but there is a masterwork level of art direction with ALL of their choices in that regard.

If you are looking to sink your teeth in with tons of story, get this. If you are looking for hardcore PvP--siege or battlegrounds-esque fighting--get this. There will always be the naysayer, but everyone will ALWAYS have their preferences either way.

2. Jan 2, 2013