• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Sep 2, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is what an MMORPG is supposed to be. The standard questing system of kill # of monster or gather # of resource is not present here, at least, not present in its familiar form. Yes, you still do kill # or gather # of objects, but ArenaNet have cleverly hidden these objectives in the form of a public questing system. They have taken out the ho-hum grind of doing these quests in the form of Heart NPCs. You get Xp for nearly anything you do, from crafting to just exploring. While the game does have a few problems, mostly with the auction house, it is still a very fun, very social game. The game is full of surprises. You can pass an area hundreds of times and still find that there are things you missed. The world is colorful and alive with NPCs talking with one another about different events. Everyone can revive one another and has their own personal heal. I won't say Guild Wars 2 innovates, but I will say they have vastly improved on a genre which has long been stagnate. I almost forgot to mention; the game is NOT free to play, nor is it pay to win, it is however buy to play with the option of paying in the form of a gem shop, which I have experienced first-hand. The boosts which people have fretted over for so long are of such little consequence that it don't matter whether or not you have them. You can perform just as well without them. They're so insignificant in fact, that most of the time, I forget to even use them. If you want a great, social game with interaction everywhere and you want to do in in a world teeming with beauty and life, get this game, it is well worth the money you will pay for it. Expand
  2. Sep 9, 2012
    This game is NEXT LEVEL. Absolutely fantastic graphics, gameplay, everything....You can tell the devs really paid attention to detail, it's the little things like auction from your backpack, instant mail, the robust travel system, the list goes on and on and on. This is an MMO milestone!!! If you like MMO's you will love this game!
  3. Sep 8, 2012
    This is what WoW should have been if Blizzard had the courage to do a revamp. I'll be honest, my first opinion wasn't great, just so much to take in with no idea what I was doing. Played for an hour then didn't come back to it for a few days. Then I found the more I got into it, the more depth I found. The amount of detail is amazing. If you are an explorer type like me you're going to have a blast, this game encourages exploration. Finding and completing secret areas are real achievements. My only worry is that a lot of players, PvP players in particular, who don't like challenges while leveling or taking too long to get to end level (its the reason why WoW's ezy mode leveling is so popular), will force leveling nerfs on Arenanet. As a 5 year player that gave up on WoW last year during the B Team's Cataclysm, I thought I'd found my WoW replacement in SWTOR, but their stupid choices of adopting a game engine that wasn't theirs and a rigid led by the nose main game questing has dulled my enthusiasm for it. GW2 has none of the stunlocks or flopping around for the best part of minute while the game loads up graphics that SWTOR suffers from (eg. exiting Corellia, Alderaan spaceports, Tattooine, Balmorra etc.).
    The game actually has elites (called Veterans) roaming the countryside. It encourages grouping up (you don't have to be in an actual party, you all get credit so long as you participate) to defeat them, or you can try soloing them for a greater challenge. It also encourages rezzing fallen players, they show up as icons on your minimap, and you earn xp for doing so. The only downside I can see is its crafting system, out of the 3 MMOs I'd rate SWTOR's the best and GW2's the weakest. You are always starved of mats. I have a sneaking suspicion this is to encourage impatient players to buy gems (an in game currency) from their online store. Apart from that 9/10.
  4. Sep 1, 2012
    So, I've been looking for a good MMO for awhile, and I think I found it. GW2 is no doubt a great MMO. The character creation seems to provide players with enough to make their character unique, in terms of looks and even play style. The combat I find to be really interesting. Each weapon type has its own skill associated with them and the more you use these weapons, the more you use the weapon type, the better skills you unlock for the weapon. Fights are pretty strategic at times, especially when fighting higher level enemies and using your various abilities, including the new dodge mechanic. Crafting is pretty much the same as other MMOs, useless, but in GW2, Crafting gives you tons of XP. The in-game world is pretty huge and with a way point system, discover way points and teleport to them later for a small fee. Now, the really reason to play an MMO is to play with your friends and tons of people, which GW2 doesn't disappoint in their new PvP game type, World v World v World. Its really exactly what it sounds like, 3 servers fight each other on 1 map, for 3 days. each server has their own area to defend from the other 2 servers but theirs also an unclaimed section of the map where the servers fight for constantly and which ever server holds this area, pretty much wins the match. But this game type is some much fun, in a flock easily 20 to 40 people heading to an enemy controlled base, clashing with their group of 20 to 40 people, and its all out war and so satisfying when you are slowly gaining ground. I would tell you to get the game just to play WvWvW, but honestly, every aspect of the game makes this a good buy, and hey, you pay the flat 60 bucks and no subscriptions, if you want to put more money into it you can, to get things like XP boosts or vanity items. I wouldnt be surprised if we start to see WoW fade out because of this game. Expand
  5. Sep 24, 2012
    I wish i could comment on some of these negative reviews. If you are hitting the same 2 buttons the entire game your doing it wrong. This is the most immersive game i have ever played. The pvp is slightly lacking in the number of maps and gametypes (more content is being made), BUT it is the most balanced pvp in any mmo. The reason some people don't like that is because they can no longer faceroll noobs. If your looking for a $60 game you can spend hundreds of hours on without ever getting bored or frustrated, this is the game for you. Expand
  6. Sep 20, 2012
    This is the best MMORPG I have ever played so far. It doesn't suck your money like a hungry vacuum. Leveling is at ease. Full voice acting in main story. Exploring is also fun and actually rewarding. Very soothing music. Please, try the game, it doesn't even need monthly subscription to play.
  7. Sep 3, 2012
    best mmo in recent years and i dont i have to explain why

all i can say its im playing mmo's since wow vanilla and gw2 simply crush it with eaze and style..i wont bother to mention other mmos since 90% of them are all wow clones.

Proudly gw2 isnt and thats what make it the best mmo since wow:LK exp
  8. Sep 13, 2012
    Loving this game so far. You'll see Guild Wars 2 clones in the coming years. WARNING: You need a really good computer to run this. The minimum system specs aren't going to cut it. This game is more demanding on your comp than anything I've ever seen.
  9. Sep 13, 2012
    For Presentation they get a 10! There is detail in everything you encounter even the idle character animations.
    Graphics on a high end PC is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, true artistry! Not just higher polygon count or pixels.
    Sound is a perfect 10! The music and the ambient sound lures u in this fantasy world.
    Gameplay is by far the best offered in any game period! You got
    strategy, fact action clicking, responsive moves, counter moves the combat actually feels alive! Not just stand there an spam 1 2 and 3...
    Lasting Appeal receives a 9! The world is huge and u like great exploring this world on a main character as well as on an alt. having different races and classes give me many month of enjoyment
  10. Sep 10, 2012
    Fun game play. Nice Graphics. bye trinity, good riddance. Funnest MMORPG I have played in a while. Recommended for everyone.

See you all in game.
  11. Sep 21, 2012
    great game, great graphics, not too happy that sPvP is seperate from the main game, I guess there is WvW for that. on that note, WvW brings back the good old memories of RvR from DAOC.
  12. Sep 4, 2012
    I've played a good amount of MMORPGs, starting way back with Everquest and Ultima Online, and this is the first MMO since then to make me so excited to take it slow and enjoy the content.

Graphics/Art style: 10

Beautiful landscapes and tremendous cities make this game's environment the single greatest in any MMO to date. There is no doubt that a lot of heart and soul went into the
    development of this game and it shows nowhere better than in the art.

Music: 8

The music is well composed and doesn't intrude on your play, but it isn't anything especially heart pumping or iconic, like some of the game's competitors.

Gameplay: 10

Though the combat can get repetitive, just as in any MMO, this game makes up for it with plenty of other things to do. Exploration is fun and rewarding, with many jumping puzzles and other landscape games. Crafting is rich and exciting, allowing the players to make great leaps in crafting skill with some careful planning and experimentation, rather than grinding out the same recipes until new ones become available. Mini-games are a great break from normal game-play. PvP is fantastic, fast paced at the small scale, and deep and strategic in the large scope.

Replayability: 10

With each race and class having a very unique playstyle and personal story, this game will easily give you hundreds of hours of new and fun content, at a bargain of a one time price.

Ultimately Guild Wars 2 has raised the bar on what it is to be a current generation MMO. While WoW will still retain it's loyal player base with it's tried and true style, Blizzard will have to make some groundbreaking changes to pull players away from this game. A great pickup for any fan of MMOs or RPGs
  13. Sep 2, 2012
    Best game I've played in 5 years, great gameplay mechanics, decent story line, great art and the best part? no subscription fees, the Auction House system is amazing, its like actually trading stocks. I can't count all the innovative features, including the skill system, everything felt easy, like I was never grinding, quest are easy and the majority are autojoin, no more looking for groups. the fighting mechanics are amazing with lots of action fighting mechanics, much better than tera.

Guildwars2 thanks for restoring my faith that mmos can be great again.
  14. Dec 1, 2012
    I love this game a lot, i don't find it boring at all as many people said. Graphically it looks like more Rift than other modern MMO. I could say GW2 and Rift are playing in same sandbox! There are thousand things to do: fight, climb, discover, craft, explore,... i don't have a HL character - my main is 32, that small but i never find time so short since i play GW2. I like to play alone, without guild or anything else and this MMO is so good for this. Public fights are great, copied on those exising in Rif Expand
  15. Sep 2, 2012
    This is the first next generation mmorpg un post wow era. Maybe you dont like the game per se, but in an honest view this game is by far a tecnical superior that all morpg games in actual market (yes, including WoW).
    A really MUST buy.
  16. Sep 9, 2012
    Great game. Graphics are amazing. The events are a nice replacement to one-time quests. Waypoints make travel easy. Combat is very fluid, and with limited hotkeys very easy to learn.
  17. Sep 10, 2012
    Game is great.
    People who complain about dated graphics aren't playing on high settings. Turn settings way high and you'll see its a great visual game. (requires as pretty decent rig)

PvE and storyline is actually engaging. Most MMOs (IE FF11) you're wandering around having no clue what the point of your adventure is... not the case here. Definitely a good story line with plenty room
    for expansion.

PvP takes the cake. Very awesome. Try it to see what I mean. World vs World is awesome.

I give it a 9 because we're two weeks after release and still the trading post (AH) is up and down.
    I also give it a 9 because leveling is almost too easy. People are maxed out at lvl 80 already! thats obnoxious.
    I give it a 9 also because of the GEM STORE. Understand this is a free to play game, and they need to make money somehow. But I truly dislike games that add a store where players can pay to be the best at the game with little skill. Gem store allows you to buy gems where you can spend them on super equipment and timed exp boosters etc... laaaaaaame.

Overall great game though - very very well done.
  18. ZDB
    Sep 2, 2012
    Despite a few flaws at launch, this game is the new gold standard for MMORPGs. I've been playing MMORPGs since Ultima Online and no game has provided the amount of entertainment that Guild Wars 2 has in the brief time that I've played it. Some games might have done certain elements better; WoW has better dungeons, SWToR had a better story, but those games were seriously lacking outside of their strengths. Guild Wars 2 has the total package: fun PvE with epic world bosses, PvP that is well balanced and addicting, and a story that draws you in and immerses you in the lore of the world. Oh and did I mention it looks fantastic? Expand
  19. Sep 10, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a milestone in MMORPG history. With its dynamic quest content, it's giant world, it's wonderful artdesign, it's interesting classes and it's epic bossfights Guild Wars 2 is nothing like everything you have played before. Get ready to be blown away from this masterpiece. Five interesting and very different races, eight classes with multiple different approaches and a giant battleground with 3 whole servers fighting against each other seal the deal. Expand
  20. Sep 10, 2012
    I always wanted to get distracted in an MMO. To get lost in its world. In Guild Wars 2, I am so lost and always distracted by everyday surprises. It has everything I ever wanted in a modern MMO.
  21. Sep 10, 2012
    One of the best game ever developed.
    The secret Jumping Puzzles are just amazing, a new feature in mmorpgs that should be added everywhere.
    I've been waiting this game since 2007 and i'm very satisfied.
  22. Sep 10, 2012
    Guild wars 2 is a amazing game is it perfect? no but its close enough, yes it has bugs that need to be fixed and they are as quick as possible but coming from a former WOW player of 4 years this game feels modern it feels up to date unlike other MMO's ive played including SWTOR and rift. people worried about PVE because no raids well I can tell you take 5 people in the dungeons in EM and you will encounter many deaths. This game isn't easy as say WOW everything isn't handed to you on a silver platter. The basic mob in GW2 can kill you its a skill game and if you can't learn when to dodge your going to struggle. its no longer looking at a rotation like crazy or waiting for Deadly boss mods to call stuff out for you to move in GW2 its a team effort in dungeons 3 people cant carry the other 2 players if they just don't cut it like you can it most MMO's. people have been wanting a game with a challenge and is fun well here it is. and if you don't cut it like probably half of the 139 negative reviews don't go fussing on site sayings it a crap game because its far from it. GW2 is a beautiful game both in art and graphics with the talk of maybe allowing Direct X 11 in the future as a option will only make it more beautiful of a game. The combat is fun the traits and skills are fun and as a person with a lvl 80 Thief I can tell you their is plenty of endgame its actually almost overwhelming all the things to do at 80. Dungeons for awesome looking gear. WVWvW is a blast (and I'm not a big pvp person) and farming to get ready for the Legendary's. just to name a few but the list could go way on. Overall if your tired of outdated MMO's or new to MMO's I think you will engoy it. Expand
  23. Sep 10, 2012
    GW2 is an amazing game. I think it have features for lots of kind of players. Casual players can walk over an astonishing world carefully created, play structured PvP (with exactly the same character as a hardcore player), etc. Hardcore players can play Dungeons (story and explorable mode), play World vs World, re-roll PvE with different Personal Stories, collect weapons and armors skins, get some titles... One nice thing is that you get xp on almost everything you do (crafting, killing, quests, world exploration). Of course GW2 doesn't have years of polishing, but it had a truly amazing start. If that's not enough: it has zero fee!!! Expand
  24. Sep 20, 2012
    I am thoroughly enjoying GW2. I can jump in and play for an hour or so, or I can play for 6, it's all easy and fun. I never feel the grind, and the world is stunning. Overall, it's just a really good game.
  25. Sep 21, 2012
  26. Oct 3, 2012
    Fantastic game. If you sick and tired of boring copied wow clones then this game is for you. Excellent graphics, gameplay and best of all its B2P. This game is definitely gonna give **** Mop a run for its money.
  27. Oct 2, 2012
    This is as good as any MMO has ever been. If you're still playing WoW and the Mists of Panderia daily grind, it's because you underestimated and/or misjudged GW2. This is the game to be playing, and any fan of WoW, Rift, or DAoC owes it to themselves to call GW2 their home for the foreseeable future. This is not another incremental evolution, this is an MMO revolution.

The only thing
    you might miss are instanced raids at end-game. End-game now consists of open-world raids, 3-faction world vs. world PvP, character appearance and gear customization via dyes and dungeon systems, and legendary weapon grinds. In addition, there are still tons of places to explore, quests and events to complete, secret treasure chests to find, jumping puzzles to solve, scenario PvP, and plenty more surprises.

The game might feel a lot like WoW at first, but that just means you're playing it wrong -- seriously. Don't worry, much like anything new, you will begin to understand it with time and effort invested.

Ultimately, GW2 is a wholly unique experience that captures some of the magic that your favorite MMO used to have. Guild Wars 2 is as good as the genre has ever been.
  28. Oct 2, 2012
    The game is brilliant. Contains action,exploring,pvp and group events. The idea of World Events is just great. The leveling is fun and its not boring and monotonic. There are various types of quests.From gathering through killing escorting and ending on defending certain points. The mechanics of the game are great.Combo mechanism really kicks the fun up. The trading system is awesome because you can trade while questing and doin your stuff. You dont have to run to Auction house or something. You just trade as you go and then pick your money or stuff at Trade Post. Pvp is also big part of the game and is ballanced. Additionally building siege weapons and team playing really makes the pvp hot. This game is not just for solo play. Bigger fun is when you co-operate with other ppl,make events together and work in guilds.
    Awesome game
  29. Oct 3, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a fun game. The no subscription fee method allows players to play the game at their own pace. That's another plus. Wouldn't be surprised if Guild Wars 2 won the 2012 Best PC Game Award.
  30. Oct 5, 2012
    Apart from a few niggly details mentioned by many others before me and none of which are showstoppers, the game is almost perfect. The combat system is actually quite a bit deeper than the amount of abilities, and some of the game's detractors suggest due to the dynamic weapon set swapping. As a thief sporting a sword/pistol and pistol/pistol I can shadowstep to my target, apply a venom and a high damage pistol whip attack, shadowstep back to my starting location, swap to dual pistols and strafe around the target to finish it off at range. The possible variations coupled with actively dodging incoming attacks are more than enough to keep things interesting.

The dynamic events system is fun too although the numbers of people joining in can make things seem a bit 'zergy'. The 'heart' quests aren't that much different from MMO quests you've seen before with the main difference being that you usually get a selection of activities to do in order to complete the quest of which you can do any combination you like. I haven't yet made it in to my first instanced dungeon yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out with no dedicated tank or healer classes.

PVP and WvWvW is a hoot! Especially if you are running with a group of friends in WvWvW. No gear grinding in order to be competitive in the Battlegrounds either, everyone is given the same quality gear so it's down to individual skill and even more so team play and tactics.

Visually and aesthetically the game is unmatched in this genre. It just looks fantastic and the soundtrack is suitably epic, written by Jeremy Soule of Elder Scrolls fame.

There is so much more I could discuss about other aspects of the game such as crafting, personal story line quests, character customisation options etc. etc. but in all honesty I don't want to spend any more time writing about the game when I could be playing it.

Cya ;)