8.4

1. Aug 18, 2014
    Gunpoint weaves an interesting storyline and fun, simple but challenging gameplay together. It is a 2D platformer that adds a lot of great features that make the gameplay easier and more interesting. There are optional challenges during missions that serve to make easy missions harder. There is a great respawn mechanic that allows you to pick up play 2-10 seconds before you died, meaning lots of boring trekking from the last save point is removed. The crosslink system allows you to get through levels in any number of inventive ways, and really makes speedrunning far more creative. The music is, like many indie games, fantastic and very well suited to the game's vibe; I keep listening to it over and over at work (go "Five Floor Goodbye"!). The gameplay rewards lateral thinking, good planning, and some precise timing. Like many stealth games you can go for every conceivable approach e.g. kill every guard; knock out dangerous guards, touch nobody and leave no trace, etc. This definitely adds to replayability, and allows people to challenge themselves to go all Solid Snake on the guards (I'm afraid there's no cardboard boxes in game).
    The storyline is very good, you'll find yourself trying to solve the case yourself with the information people give you, you'll find yourself actively wondering whether to trust some people or whether they have their own agendas, you'll find yourself invested in the fates of those people who help you through the game, and you'll find yourself deciding whether to dispense your own justice, or leave it to the state. You'll feel involved in the plot, and will have some satisfaction finishing it off. Definitely a good buy.
  2. Jul 19, 2014
    A fun and challenging little indie game, its fun non-stop and recommended to people who like falling from high places, rewiring switches and guns, acting like James Bond 007 only more amateur and kicking the living hell out of the guards! This game is the game for you
  3. Jul 18, 2014
    I really want to give this game a 10 but there just isn't enough of it. And that's my only gripe. This game is fantastic. A few quid and its well worth the money.. An entertaining story with fantastic old school new skool game play.. It is frustratingly addictive and is fun to replay but I still feel that there should be more. Maybe I am just greedy? Great game.

Happy Gaming
  4. Jul 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a really fun and addictive game it has lots of hacking fight which is fun for most people so I score this awesome game 10% and I hope Gunpoint 2 comes out because it such a wonderful game It's one of my favourites. Expand
  5. Jul 5, 2014
    Dialogs are insanely funny ! Very innovative gameplay, really clever upgrades, well made graphics and lisibility.
    A bit short tho... and the replayability is not that great.
  6. czr
    Jun 17, 2014
    An excellent game with a great soundtrack. Its a shame it is so short, but I enjoyed every minute of it. The workshop user created levels are a great way to extend your playtime with it.
  7. Jun 10, 2014
    Interesante juego de plataformas e infiltración en el cual se hibridan distintas mecánicas, puzzles, gestión de recursos, historia, etc. Interesante adquisición.
  8. Jun 1, 2014
    Gunpoint is a game you only see in a lifetime. I don't expect there will ever be anything like it.

In the game you're some sort of mix between spiderman and a spy. You can leap from buildings, climb on the walls and pounce any any for an instant kill/knock-out, while at the same time having to hide from your enemies, because not only are the enemies killed in one hit: you are too.
    Sneaking in the dark, waiting for the right moment to pounce your target, or to sneak past him; it's all up to you. The game doesn't have one way to beat stages and you can choose whether you want to be a stealthy spy, or leave a trail of bodies.

It may not sound like it, but even more than action, there are puzzles involved. Shortly, you'll be able to rewire pretty much everything. You can use light switches to open doors and cameras to turn off the lights. This is very important because you usually can't get in and out without it. There are also several ways to do this and the game gives you a lot of space. During dialogues you also have different options and you can be honest, but you can also decide to keep information.

The visuals are very basic. I have to admit: at first, when I saw the game for the first time, I was like: I'm not going to play this. Even for me those graphics are bad. However, in 5 minutes I was hooked. The graphics may be bad, but there are exactly the things you need. There isn't a whole lot of stuff to see, other than what's useful.

About the gameplay there isn't really anything bad to say. However, the game isn't all good.
    The game starts out very easy and it will remain so for the most of the game. At one point the difficulty increases and it seems as if you're finally past the tutorial. It's nice, but... as soon as you've beaten it, only one stage remains. The final stage is a poor excuse for a final stage. In the upgrade screen, you'll be able to get an upgrade that renders pretty much everything useless. No need to be stealthy anymore. Just destroy everyone in your path with ease. Even if you do die, you'll be back in no-time, because with dying, you can literally jump a few seconds back in time. The choice is even up to you how long, making any mistake barely noticeable.

Luckily each stage has a rating. Getting A+ on every stage takes a little more time, meaning you can play it a little more, but after that, the game doesn't have much to offer. Even with the getting A+ every stage, the game is short and very easy. The game is like a raw diamond. It's amazing and great, but it could have been one of the best games ever, if the creators decided to be done with it so fast. A shame, but nonetheless a very fun game, as long as it lasts. Don't expect it to take more than 3 hours, and that is with getting a perfect score on every stage.

8.5
  9. Apr 9, 2014
    This game has a lot of funny moments, and the game play is solid. My one and only complaint with it is that its very short. But you can design your own levels for it, so that somewhat makes up for it. All in all, very fun game.
  10. Apr 3, 2014
    It's an entertaining game, getting a bit repetitive and very, very short. Definitely not a 10 EUR title since it is comparable to some of the better online flash games out there.
  11. Mar 14, 2014
    Playing this game made me feel like i was playing minecraft with a manly boner. The graphics are awful, the gameplay is awful and the guns were like shooting seeds out of water melons. Awful game which is deserves a 10 out of 10.
  12. Feb 23, 2014
    This game is really fun, some levels are really challenging as well. Solid gameplay, good controls and a cool puzzle game in general. My main problem with it is how short it is. I don't believe it is worth 9 bucks, wait for it to go on a good sale because it is incredibly short. They should have put in more upgrades, buyable items and more missions. If the story is done they could include other missions.

It feels rushed almost, on how short it is. In the end it is a really fun stealth, 2d puzzle game but it feels like a wasted potential on how limited when it comes to content.

Overall 7 is a reasonable score, I think if they release a sequel they should have a longer story, more missions and more upgrades/buyable items.
  13. Jan 18, 2014
    A somewhat interesting puzzle game with excellent writing and rather primitive pixelated graphics. It's definitely not for everyone. The story is fun but isn't deep or anything, it feels very unoriginal. I didn't buy it after finishing the demo. Even though there is a hilarious dialog before the final "Buy game" button is presented, it's still not worth buying.
  14. Jan 9, 2014
    Gunpoint is a charming, fun, innovative, stealth indie game which proves that you don't need an AAA budget to make a great game which a good engaging noir style story line Gunpoint is only let down by its shortness worth the purchase espeacially on a steam sale.
  15. Jan 1, 2014
    Marvellous, marvellous game with a fun story and a great game mechanic. Really interesting use of stealth hacking and puzzles and the level design is superb. Just buy it, you won't regret it.
  16. Dec 28, 2013
    I haven't enjoyed a game this much since Hotline Miami. Having a door accidentally smash you in the face, because you rewired something incorrectly, never gets old. I just wished it was a little longer.
  17. Dec 27, 2013
    Gunpoint is an example of why I appreciate indie games. A superior design (mechanically and aesthetically), soundtrack, and an appropriate difficulty curve make Gunpoint totally worth the price. Pick it up!
  18. Fuz
    Dec 11, 2013
    Keybinds arent' redefinable.
    This is utterly ridiculous in a 2013 game.
    Personally, I can't play with the default ones. I'll change the score when they fix this.
  19. Dec 9, 2013
    A short but satisfying indie puzzle/platformer. Light storyline but it has some nice humour and visual storytelling as well. The mechanics are very solid and fun to play around with. Looking forward to more from this developer.
  20. Dec 2, 2013
    Gunpoint is a very interesting strategy game to say the least. The art style is nice, although it seems like a lot of games now days are going down the 8-bit art style path. The silly yet humorous remarks are fun to read and can put a smile on any gamer's face. The game takes about 2-3 hours to complete your first time playing it, which can be annoying. However, there are reasons to play through the game multiple times. Even though the game play doesn't change, the dialogue does. In order to get all the achievements you need to get different endings of the game as well. Lastly, the game mechanics are what glue all the good things together. No tutorial is presented before you're thrown in to the game, which is nice for simple games like Gunpoint. In all, this game is worth whatever money you spend on it. Expand
  21. Nov 28, 2013
    Excellent game, really engaging in its own little world. Strikes a nice balance between challenge and frustration. Not the longest game in the world but its a much better choice to do a decent amount v well than a lot poorly. Looking forward to future games from this dev.
  22. Nov 23, 2013
    Gunpoint is a very fun game but I want to play more! This game is incredibly fun but the story is so short and there isn't much to replay the game for.

The crosslink mode is unique, and allows you to rewire enemy electronics in a building. The aim is to hack the computer and although there is a decent storyline in-between missions, the missions never really change.

Another minor
    problem I have with this game is that I find it too easy. I think instead of making the game progressively more difficult, the missions instead just went longer and more tedious. Expand
  23. Oct 28, 2013
    This is almost perfect -sneak and puzzle i a great mix. The gameplay is seamless and efficient and although it's not by any means a great game in terms playtime, it's engrossing and amusing.
  24. Oct 22, 2013
    I'm a really fan of stealth games, and this one really got me. The way you can deal with the guards about killing them or even let them in the dark suckin' their thumbs (that doesn't happen, i get excited writing this kind of text). The hack system reminds the upcoming Ubisoft release Watch Dogs, and some '90s games that I don't remember or never have played. What really grinds my gears is that is A REALLY SHORT GAME!!! Expand
  25. Sep 26, 2013
    This game is quite enjoyable. The mechanics are neat, the atmosphere is stellar. But as mentioned before by most people, it is quite too short. The minute you start losing yourself in the story and you get used to your controls and powers, they are all robbed from you in a lack lustre ending.

For this game to really go up in value, other investigations need to be added. It's not really
    that hard to randomise levels with similar layouts and similar objectives with a bit of dialogue to explain why you're doing it. An even better way to add value would be to unlock a level editor shareable through the steam workshop. That in itself would render the game limitless with a minimum effort from the developers. Expand
  26. Sep 18, 2013
    Gunpoint is a well made, simple game. It uses simple mechanics and inst needlessly complicated. Its fun to use your brain to solve the puzzles and is extreamly satisfying. Im glad to see a lot of indie stealth games doing so well.
  27. Sep 18, 2013
    Great game. Very simple but a lot of fun. Bought it due to low price but am very happy with it. It is a simple story about being a spy and finishing a job. There are a few choices that are good or bad but the gameplay is fun. This is a game you can play for a few minutes or hours and still be happy with it.
  28. Sep 17, 2013
    I recently finished one playthrough of this game, and it was was on my best recent gaming experiences. Gunpoint combines simple but innovative 2D stealth mechanics and puzzles into a game where you really feel like a cross of James Bond and Spiderman. The jumping mechanics are fun and fit into the general tongue-in-cheek humor of the pre-mission dialogues, while keeping the game compelling by making failure a very real thing one shot and you're dead. Even something as simple as punching guards is far more fun than it has any right to be. Multiple play styles are supported and rewarded as well, such as super-stealth runs, nonviolent runs, and speedrunning.

Add in its cheap selling price, and Gunpoint is a joy and steal. Check it out if you have any interest in this kind of game at all you won't regret it.
  29. Sep 12, 2013
    I bought the game because it looked like an interesting little platformer, and instead I was pleasantly greeted with one of the most genuinely funny, and genuinely fun games that I've played to date.

You play as Richard Conway, a freelance spy working on the case of the recently deceased Selena Delgado. Throughout the story you contact people of interest and potential clients through
    your phone, which gives you around three response-options where the clients can respond back. It's an interesting means of progressing the story and it works well, using humor that can be taken by some as childish, but is overall hilarious and doesn't rub off as cheesy. Almost nothing in the game rubs off as cheesy or cliche despite the extreme prevalence of corniness in similar movies and games. The only thing is that the game was assembled with the YoYo GameMaker, which leaves limitations on certain aspects of the graphics, but is overall unnoticeable.

The mechanics of movement are very easy to pick up and master. You can walk, climb along ceilings and walls, and use your absurdly powerful 'super-trousers'. The combination of the 3 makes for some of the best movement mechanics I've ever encountered with a game, seeing as there is almost no room for anything to go wrong. You can jump, scale, and tackle from any part of the map with ease and it's a blast. Since the platforming aspect itself is almost clean as butter, most of the challenge in the game comes from the very innovative 'Cross-link' system. Essentially you are given the ability to rewire any component of the building at will, 'use this button to open that door, or use this security camera to send the elevator to that floor'. It too works cleanly and effectively, meaning that most of the game is spent thinking about the most efficient means of completing the objective. The game just plays as it should, no complications.

The art-style and music form this noire-esque type of feel and they work wonderfully together. The music sounds like something that should play when a real detective is working on a case. Opening Cross-link mode turns the music into a slightly muffled but slightly techni-fied version, giving a techy feel to an otherwise retro game.

The story and length of play are the only things that leave something to be desired. Most people will finish the game in 3-4 hours, and the story as a whole doesn't do the rest of the game justice. Bear in mind that each individual segment of the story is executed perfectly, but that the pieces don't seem to work so well when put together. Regardless, I think the game is a steal for 10 bucks and is well worth anyone's time to play, the game is easy and an overall fun experience. Nothing detracts from the game enough to warrant a decrease in score: it does it's job, and gets out. That's all I ask for from a game and Gunpoint has done just that and more in a new manner. There's nothing like it, buy it.
  30. Aug 27, 2013
    One thing I love about this game is it's dialogue! Something that is not usually seen in video games are the "ironic" answers and questions! This game has them and it's one of the reasons why I love this game.
    The game itself is short, but funny and those who are looking for a puzzle challenge combine with stealth will most certainly enjoy this game.
    Simple gameplay and interface
    mechanics that work, alongside with good graphics and clever characters and enemies make this game a short, but punching wonder. Expand

1. Oct 7, 2013
    Stealth, puzzles and film noir mix beautifully. The only criticism is that it’s over too soon. [Aug 2013]
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    Delightful and clever, but also a bit limited. [Sept 2013, p.74]
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    10 dollars spent on Gunpoint is 10 dollars well spent. [CD-Action 09/2013, p.68]