Generally favorable reviews- based on 264 Ratings
Jan 19, 2013Truly immersive graphics and audio grabs the player and thrusts them into the middle of a explosive steam-punk universe that many gamers haveTruly immersive graphics and audio grabs the player and thrusts them into the middle of a explosive steam-punk universe that many gamers have been craving for. This game shines when it is played with friends as crew.… Full Review »
Nov 2, 2012Great game if you have a bunch of friends who would also want to team up with you and man an warship of the skies! 1) Co-Op: Cooperation is aGreat game if you have a bunch of friends who would also want to team up with you and man an warship of the skies! 1) Co-Op: Cooperation is a must. Captians have to talk the other teams Captians to organize attacks. Engineers and Gunners will often spot an enemy long before the Captain sees it. And of course when the ship is damaged sometimes everyone has to chip in an repair. Lots of frantic shouting over the games voice communication normally leads to success. A great game if you have a bunch of friends that want to man a steampunk combat airship with you.
2) Graphics: Very good at making yo feel like you are flying. Lots of cool smoke and cloud effects. Could use a little work here and there but overall very convincing and good. 3) Gameplay: There are three classes to choose from Captian (Pilot), Engineer, or Gunner. Obviously the Pilot is very important for the success of the ship. He/she has to constantly evaluate where the best place is for the ship. It helps if you have a crew that communicates... ie hey move the ship to the left a little so I can actually hit an enemy (since the guns have limited movement), or hey there is an enemy below us (since the Pilot can't see everything). Altitude advantage and knowing where your guns are is important. The Engineer is very meh for me... you run around trying to repair stuff or buff stuff. The Engineer can man guns but he has limited types of ammunition o choose from. Still... good engineers can really increase a ships survivability. The gunner is just raw fun. Point and shoot at stuff. Use cool ammo and make stuff blow up! Regardless of what class you play, EVERYONE has to chip in to help the ship succeed. Voice chat (already provided) is great in this game. There are also a large variety of guns and ship classes with different pros and cons. 4) Interface/match making. This aspect needs some work. It would be nice to be able to just form a party with a group of friends and join an available match. Also there are some glitches where you will exit out of match (you can rejoin though. Overall, for $20 its great for some cheap thrills with friends. You can just hop in for a thirty minute romp. Or you can play all night. Its a casual game but has some depth too. Its very novel and fun. As long as the developers keep working on it (and they seem to be) this game will grow into something awesome.… Full Review »
Oct 31, 2012I created a Metacritic account today just to provide a review for this game because Guns of Icarus Online is that Great of a title. You don'tI created a Metacritic account today just to provide a review for this game because Guns of Icarus Online is that Great of a title. You don't have to be an aviation nut (I am), you don't have to enjoy steampunk (It helps) and you certainly don't have to dedicate hours (which I sometimes do) to enjoy this title. It's the type of game that you can log in for 30 minutes and leave with some great memorable game experiences.
I've been beta testing since August, and I have to say, impressed is an understatement. The Muse Games team has a real gem of a game and here's why:
1. Voice Feature. Sounds simple, but really, how many games do you play today that has a push to talk feature built into the game? This voice feature really enhances the game experience and promotes dialogue among strangers. This is worth it's weight in gold.
2. Continual improvements. While this game just left Beta, that doesn't mean the team is slowing down, they are constantly adding new content, new maps and are focusing on producing a persistent DLC adventure mode. 3. Balancing. Ships feel well balanced, as does the logistics, the development team is doing a great job of addressing player concerns on a case by case basis. There is room for improvement, but as is, the game feels polished and engaging. The one point I'd dock is for lack of an ability to fire on another ship with a blunderbuss or a pistol. I hope they re-evaluate there position on this, but as it stands, this is a ship-to-ship strategy game.
4. Graphics and Audio. Pump that settings up to high and fly your way through a very beautiful world. Muse has created some very interesting environments that allows for some very fun gameplay options. When your in there world, you feel immersion, excitement and drama.
5. Developer Team. Very small but very connected to the community, they listen and they respond to the tester team, they continually improve the game and they keep a very transparent policy when it comes to artistic direction, technical specs and resolving issues. I see this team growing along with there wonderful concept of a game.
Now go buy the game and see what I'm talking about. You will not regret it.… Full Review »