Hack, Slash, Loot PC

4.5

1. Dec 1, 2012
    While simplistic in appearance and controls, a relatively* great amount of depth is to be found in the gameplay's strategy. *[I say relatively because the game is so cheap (I picked the game up on Steam during a sale where it was 60% off (~$3))]. The game perfectly captures the rogue-like draw of finding, yes, loot. It's more than the +/+ or +/- "longsword" loot variation, the gameWhile simplistic in appearance and controls, a relatively* great amount of depth is to be found in the gameplay's strategy. *[I say relatively because the game is so cheap (I picked the game up on Steam during a sale where it was 60% off (~$3))]. The game perfectly captures the rogue-like draw of finding, yes, loot. It's more than the +/+ or +/- "longsword" loot variation, the game incorporates unique character modifiers and elemental type damages, as well as their corresponding resistances (or vulnerabilities) for both you and monsters. As far as the hacking and slashing go, there is plenty of it if you choose a melee character, but there are also wizard and archer classes. Additionally you can effectively be two classes, say a primary melee, but also carry a bow. I suspect that most of the negative reviews are due to the incredibly steep difficultly at the very start (first few turns) of most runs. While I don't mind swinging out of the gate, it can be a bit frustrating having to start 10, 15, 20, or more games before you get one that starts doing well. The game gets easier as you go through the first two floors, then picks up the difficulty again near the end, making the difficulty curve like an upside-down bell curve.

All said, the game is often frustrating until you get a character that can survive for half a floor, at which point the game turns into one of the most enjoyable rouge-likes I've ever played.
  2. Oct 25, 2013
    This game is based (too) heavily upon luck and gets very repetitive.

The unlocked characters don't bring much to the table, and what appears to be the interesting ones (the lich, the evileye) only gets unlocked after 40+ playthroughs.

This game can be fun if played casually, just to kill some time.
  3. Apr 15, 2012
    Hack, Slash, loot is a roguelike game where you control a hero (At first a Knight, Saracen, Wizard or Ranger but more are unlocked when you finish quests) on a quest that is chosen before hand. The type of quests dictates the look (and types of enemies) of the dungeon that you will be crawling until you find the end-boss. There is no character development in Hack, Slash, Loot. All yourHack, Slash, loot is a roguelike game where you control a hero (At first a Knight, Saracen, Wizard or Ranger but more are unlocked when you finish quests) on a quest that is chosen before hand. The type of quests dictates the look (and types of enemies) of the dungeon that you will be crawling until you find the end-boss. There is no character development in Hack, Slash, Loot. All your attributes are determined by the items that you find and the potions that you drink and the weapon you have equipped. There are several types of damage and potions, items and altars offer you resistance or weaknsses to these damages. Each damage type has a unique side-effect. For example, the divine damage modifier allows bows to shoot through allies which makes having a large group of allies a huge asset to a Ranger. There are three types of attacks; melee, magic and ranged. Magic ignores target's defense and ranged reduces damage based on the distance between you and the enemy. There are NPC's but they offer very limited interaction; they will either follow you and fight for you (often getting in the way!) or you can attack them and kill them. They will also pick up items you leave behind and a limited selection will travel with you to the next level. The game is best played with the mouse although keyboard controls are available. Graphics are highly simplistic and could have used a little more work as it sometimes difficult to discern what is going on on the screen because a lot of sprites look alike. The game can not be played in full screen but you are able to zoom in and out. Hack, Slash, Loot is only for hardcore Roguelike fans as it offers no save game system other than a quit/resume and luck plays a huge element as loot is completely random. Death is permanent. There is some strategy to the game and it is up to the player to learn how to best deal with certain threats. Expand
  4. Aug 4, 2012
    Hack Slash Loot is a good dungeon crawler, but nothing else. A fine time waster, but it fails to provide a particularly deep experience. Still, it's worth the small price tag and nearly every should be able to get a kick out of it.
  5. Apr 15, 2012
    ***Updated*** Intersting concept, in theory... But the execution... The Retro random generated map and the turned-based movement and feel is well done. But when you actually play the game, it's dissapointment after dissapointment... There is no loot to speak of. When you found a new item, you have the choice to keep what you have or take the new one... That's it... But the worst offender***Updated*** Intersting concept, in theory... But the execution... The Retro random generated map and the turned-based movement and feel is well done. But when you actually play the game, it's dissapointment after dissapointment... There is no loot to speak of. When you found a new item, you have the choice to keep what you have or take the new one... That's it... But the worst offender is the survivability of your character. Health are too few and far between, meaning that you'll die by attrition no matter what you do... After a few hours trying, I didn't even survived past the 1st Level!!!... Either I do something really wrong, or the game has a serious problem balancing the number of enemies, loot (especially health), etc... it throw at you!... I can't honestly plunge this game in the '0' abyss, because I'm sure a patch can fix the balancing and survivability, turning this painfully experience into an enyoyable one with a minimum of effort from the Developpers... However, it's the 1st impression, that count right now, and it's a terrible one... *Update* I don't know how or when, but even with (or because of) my repeated failures, I managed to unlock the Knight class. And with it, I was able to go to lvl5 before dying. There are light at the end of the HSL tunnel... But it also means the game was really designed that way!... I still fail to see the fun in playing caracters doomed to failure again and again in the hope of getting better classes later... We are far from the steady progression of a Diablo game... This game is definitely worth more than a '0', but my '5' still stand firm... Expand
  6. Jul 18, 2014
    Looking over some of these reviews I've realized that giving silly people access to a massive multimedia medium to express their even sillier opinions only leads to things like 7 people writing reviews that would have you thinking you'd just looked up a Custer's Revenge-esque Nazi-rapist simulator.

Seriously, was this purchase life ruining or something? It's a game with a fluctuating

Seriously, was this purchase life ruining or something?

It's a game with a fluctuating price of 3 to 7 dollars, with simple graphics and occasionally fun gameplay.

If you're that upset with your purchase I recommend you fly out to northern Iraq and join the rest of the capitalist-hating terrorists. Otherwise, please try and understand the implications of giving something a zero.

With Love,
    America
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Jul 12, 2012
    Sit through seemingly countless deaths, and you'll either break through the system, and master the stats--or bounce off the game and never go back. [Sept 2012, p.71]
  2. May 16, 2012
    The interface uses only the mouse, and you start out with three available classes and the option to chose different quests. Your aim is always to survive and make it to the end of the dungeon. Unfortunately, the extremely limited scope of the game is quickly made evident. Hack, Slash, Loot does nothing wrong, but it fails to impress. Limited foes, a handful of items, small maps and zero character development (no experience/skills/levels). [May 2012]
  3. May 11, 2012
    Hack, Slash, Loot is not a good game, and I couldn't even recommend it to the most hardcore roguelike enthusiasts. It's dull, it's frustrating, it's entirely dependent on luck and, most significantly, it's not even remotely fun to play. The graphics and sound are appalling, and a little variation in dungeon types isn't enough to save this horrid title. Go spend your money elsewhere.