Half-Life 2: Episode One PC

8.6

1. Sep 29, 2011
    Running through this only firing 1 bullet isn't too bad considering how easy Half-Life is in general, but is helped even more by the extremely short length. Nothing new or exciting here in terms of level design. The game itself doesn't do much to further advance HL2. Be warned though: 1 bullet means pistol not shotgun. Running through the game twice without firing a gun still doesn't makeRunning through this only firing 1 bullet isn't too bad considering how easy Half-Life is in general, but is helped even more by the extremely short length. Nothing new or exciting here in terms of level design. The game itself doesn't do much to further advance HL2. Be warned though: 1 bullet means pistol not shotgun. Running through the game twice without firing a gun still doesn't make the gameplay any more exciting. There's really nothing creditble about this game. Expand
  2. Oct 9, 2010
    It's hard to come up with a follow up after making what might be the perfect game (HL2) but this expansion or addon is great in itself and if it wasn't for the hype the ratings would be much higher. I would recommend this to anyone, even people that were not huge fan of the original game.
  3. Jan 1, 2015
    Half Life 2 Episode One is the first episode of the series type game Half Life 2, published and developed by Valve Corporation. The game action is immediately after the events of Half-Life 2 and runs in the city City 17. The game begins immediately after the reactor explosion that occurred in the previous game. You know that Alyx was saved by some Vorguants but you (Gordon Freeman) is leftHalf Life 2 Episode One is the first episode of the series type game Half Life 2, published and developed by Valve Corporation. The game action is immediately after the events of Half-Life 2 and runs in the city City 17. The game begins immediately after the reactor explosion that occurred in the previous game. You know that Alyx was saved by some Vorguants but you (Gordon Freeman) is left in the remains of the Citadel. Gordon is soon rescued by Alyx. Anyway the game is very short, yet is one that brings a lot to the previous game. Expand
  4. Dec 13, 2012
    The equivalent of a filler episode. You could probably go right from HL2 into episode 2 because of how little happens in this episode. It's still a Valve game and has it's moments but it's plot is stretched thin between predictable puzzles and fights. Worth playing if you get it in a bundle but I wouldn't recommending purchasing it on it's own.
  5. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Short, quick, sudden... and fabulous. This game is from 2006 and still its graphics are better than many nowadays titles. Also, Alyx is hotter than usual and totally into you. Terrific.
  6. Jun 10, 2015
    Even though i played it first 8 years after its initial release, i enjoyed the game thoroughly due to its beautiful marrying of story-telling and pacing. Sounds simple, but most games (almost all) miss this masterful harmony in their gameplay. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 stars off from what seemed to be the end of the prequel and blows it out into a complete and full story of its own withEven though i played it first 8 years after its initial release, i enjoyed the game thoroughly due to its beautiful marrying of story-telling and pacing. Sounds simple, but most games (almost all) miss this masterful harmony in their gameplay. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 stars off from what seemed to be the end of the prequel and blows it out into a complete and full story of its own with skill and eloquence; the game does not let you rest until you finish it - always on the brink, always hurried on, always on the move, and always inside the story - i as a player loved the experience. Expand
  7. Sep 26, 2011
    Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other scienceHalf Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other science fiction, it's not as original as many claim. Half Life 2 has awesome graphics, innovative physics, game play, fabulously designed levels and game moments but my point is that it shows how lacking and unoriginal the rest of the industry is - that many would claim Half Life 2 to be better than it actually is. If Half Life 2 is the best there is in single player gaming - then video games truely are lacking... HL2 is still a real achievement and Valve has something to be proud of.â Expand
  8. Nov 3, 2012
    This was really good add on. Not very long though and storys not as good but its still a really good and recommend if you loved Half Life 2. Half Life 2: Episode One 8.2/10
  9. Dec 6, 2011
    I admit, HL2: Episode One's biggest flaw is that it's too short, but that doesn't matter. A short game can still be great, providing those 4 hours or so are a blast, and with Episode One that's the case. It wasn't really supposed to be another full game, as Half Life 2, it was only meant to be a small add-on, to show the aftermath events, since the ending of HL2 was way too ambiguous.I admit, HL2: Episode One's biggest flaw is that it's too short, but that doesn't matter. A short game can still be great, providing those 4 hours or so are a blast, and with Episode One that's the case. It wasn't really supposed to be another full game, as Half Life 2, it was only meant to be a small add-on, to show the aftermath events, since the ending of HL2 was way too ambiguous. Episode One takes place over 5 chapters, over a variety of locations. I felt the first two chapters were a bit flat, since you only pretty much used the Gravity gun and picked around the dull ruins, but the next 3 chapters were really great and intense in their own way. Although for the most part Ep 1 doesn't add anything new to what we've already seen in HL2, there is one major gameplay element that it has managed to exploit really well that HL2 only briefly brushed upon, and that is teamwork. As you play throughout the chapters, Alyx is pretty much always with you, helping out, with some parts you not being able to do by yourself. And this is done in such a way that you don't just feel like it's a mindless npc providing covering fire, but actually that you and her are trying to survive and escape the post-apocalyptic city by yourselves. Ep 1 is also designed in so much detail that you can play an entire game without ever having to use a gun weapon. One of the in-game achievements challenges the player to do just that, and I would highly suggest for everyone who enjoyed Ep1 to try that on one of the playthroughs, because it really is fun. Episode 1 manages to continue the story from HL2 well and at the same time opens up more of the plot for the next installment. Expand
  10. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Episode One is in my mind the weakest game in the Half Life series, though still pretty good. For almost half of the game your only weapon is the enhanced Gravity Gun... which is pretty cool but loses its charm after a while. Another third of the game is spent in lightless tunnels full of zombies, which also loses its charm after a while. However the last two chapters make up for the first half's mishaps with a fun and sometimes challenging dash to escape City 17. Expand
  11. Feb 29, 2016
    To be honest I had some serious doubts playing with companion in Half Life is a good idea. It turned out to be not the worst idea after all. What else, still the game haven't come with improvement, including no graphic ones.
  12. Jun 6, 2012
    After the masterpiece that was Half life 2, Valve seemed under a lot of pressure to make Episode 1 live up to its predecessors. Overall, I found episode 1 to be an excellent, if a bit of a flawed entry, in the series. The story remains although NPC's have a tendency to spout plot points that are already quite obvious even to the daftest of players. Nevertheless, despite a lack ofAfter the masterpiece that was Half life 2, Valve seemed under a lot of pressure to make Episode 1 live up to its predecessors. Overall, I found episode 1 to be an excellent, if a bit of a flawed entry, in the series. The story remains although NPC's have a tendency to spout plot points that are already quite obvious even to the daftest of players. Nevertheless, despite a lack of innovation, Episode 1 is still a worthy follow up to the timeless classic. Expand
  13. Jun 23, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An interesting little continuation of the second game, but seriously, couldn't the story be a bit longer? You can seriously beat this game in like a day. But even though the story is short it was nice to to go on an adventure with close companion Alyx and develop a somewhat close connection. The sections of pitch blackness increases the fun game play value, and sort of amps up the horror element. So if were left hanging from the ending of Half-Life 2, get ready to play Episode One and be left on another cliffhanger where you escape City 17 and into the woods, but that's a story for Episode 2! Expand
  14. Jan 1, 2012
    The overall package of this addon could have been bigger but still it is Valve quality from beginning to end. No experiments, nothing too fancy, valve just kept on telling their story further and delivered more of what has already proven as very good.
  15. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Those darn headcrabs!

Those darn headcrabs!

EPISODE 1 starts immediately where Half-Life 2 ended. Basically it’s more of the same, and that’s more than welcome to a fan like me. If you want to know what I thought of HL2 I refer the reader to that review. Suffice it to say I loved it and Episode 1, although not as memorable as its predecessor, is still enormous fun to play. The only criticism I have of this episode is that Valve haven’t given the narrative development as much thought as they did in HL2 and will do again in HL2 Episode 2. Still great fun though.
  16. Jan 20, 2012
    An good follow-up to its mighty predecessor, altough it was very short (but also very cheap). It doesn't really change much from HL2 rather than just continue the story for a few hours.
  17. Nov 29, 2013
    Episode One is definitely the weakest link in the Half Life 2 series. The main problem with Episode One is that not much happens: you go into the Citadel, Alyx picks up a copy of the Transmission, and then you escape the city. Add in the fact that this game is also very short. In my opinion, the beginning of Episode One (inside the Citadel) is a bit boring. The game does get better onceEpisode One is definitely the weakest link in the Half Life 2 series. The main problem with Episode One is that not much happens: you go into the Citadel, Alyx picks up a copy of the Transmission, and then you escape the city. Add in the fact that this game is also very short. In my opinion, the beginning of Episode One (inside the Citadel) is a bit boring. The game does get better once you leave the citadel and are presented with numerous puzzles. The hospital portion is also quite good and the new zombine enemy is quite humorous. Episode One is not bad by any means, but having played through all the Half Life games, this stands out as being comparatively weak. Expand
  18. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 8 out of 10, Graphics: 9 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 9 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10, Length: 7 out of 10, Re-play: 3 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  19. Mar 1, 2014
    Episode One is for me as good as Half-Life 2! And Alyx is a nice character (imagine Episode One and Two without Alyx!). My only issue is the short gameplay.
  20. Dec 10, 2014
    It's still Half Life, so it's an amazing experience right away. But, for the series standards, it has some down points. Like that underground level, filled with zombies. And it also is too short. But, anyway, it's obligatory for anyone who played Half Life 2.
  21. May 25, 2015
    Episode One was really great. A nice way to continue the story after the end of Half-Life 2. The longevity was pretty good, and it was fun to complete. However it was clear how it was part of a larger project, and that the best was yet to come. Episode One is only an interlude to what will actually happen then.
  22. May 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Picking up where Half-Life 2 ended, Episode One added some crazy events to the game that made it feel like a better game. Was a fun playthrough to extend on the story to end on yet another cliffhanger. Thankfully I have episode two installing as I write this review because I need to play it and see what happens. That is what makes playing Half Life 2 so much fun, the ending and not knowing. Needing to play the next episode....or like everyone else waiting for Half Life 3 ;D.
    Positive: Juiced up gravity gun to start and rollermines
    Negative: Still waiting for that kiss with Alyx! Come on!
  23. Jul 5, 2011
    Episode One what can i say, when i first herd of the title i knew it was going to be a long time before Half-Life 3 Arrived and here were are 2011 still waiting, Anyway this is a great game though i think episode 2 was better. Other thoughts, the story continues for Dr. Gordon Freeman and its of Epic Proportions.
  24. Oct 1, 2013
    The Half-Life series is the best FPS series ever made. This game adds to that legacy. Everything good is still present in this game. Its only downfall is it being very, very short.
  25. Sep 23, 2014
    A good continuation of half life 2. Combat is the same as Half life 2, story is good but not as strong as half life 2. Overall its good and worth getting if you liked Half life 2.
  26. Sep 3, 2011
    It's a lot shorter and less inspired than Half-Life 2, but the new stuff including extremely dark rooms, pushing cars into pits, and running around taking cover from a strider trying to gun you down. Worth the $7 if you're a Half-Life fan.
  27. May 27, 2012
    Half-Life 2 being my favourite game ever, I loved everything about the first episodic content and think anyone who has not played it should. Excellent game by a great developer!
  28. May 14, 2012
    The is possibly the earliest game in the form of DLC. But a goddamn good DLC unlike the greedy cheap contents offered nowadays. It's short but quite worth it.
  29. Dec 22, 2011
    Since you can practically pick it up for a dollar every other month on Steam I don't know why any fan of FPS games or Half=Life would appreciate this game for what it is. A short, cheap, and nice expansion to the original game which continues the story.
  30. Jan 3, 2012
    Not quite as well paced as its base game, but still very compelling. The sections tend to blur together, which only a surrealist would appreciate for their representation of a chaotic conflict on the brink of apocalyptic mayhem. The ending hits you like a .22 to the side of your fiberglass placeebo helmet, but it serves its purpose: heading up to the next section in this epic series.Not quite as well paced as its base game, but still very compelling. The sections tend to blur together, which only a surrealist would appreciate for their representation of a chaotic conflict on the brink of apocalyptic mayhem. The ending hits you like a .22 to the side of your fiberglass placeebo helmet, but it serves its purpose: heading up to the next section in this epic series. Though, my favorite part of this one is actually the recap of it in the beginning of Ep.2. Followed closely by the dynamic dialog between you and Alyx. Expand
  31. Jun 12, 2012
    If you liked the first, is a safe buy this episode, as history is its strongest point. In this episode there are not many new features such as HDR technology is incorporated and a significant improvement in the facial expressions. The campaign can be very short while somewhere a bit dense when we meet again with the zombies, but still very good because it lets you continue the story.
  32. Mar 26, 2011
    First Half-life game I got. A very good game! A variety of characters, enemies, weapons, and environments to come across in this game. The story line is amazing, you play as Gordon Freeman who was in the original Half - life( which was amazing too) and was in Half life episode two, and half life 2. This game has a horror,action, and drama like game-play style. I recommend this game toFirst Half-life game I got. A very good game! A variety of characters, enemies, weapons, and environments to come across in this game. The story line is amazing, you play as Gordon Freeman who was in the original Half - life( which was amazing too) and was in Half life episode two, and half life 2. This game has a horror,action, and drama like game-play style. I recommend this game to anyone who wants a good cheap game to play for hours. Expand
  33. Nov 11, 2011
    I found this episode a very good one, it picks up where the original game stops and as the game its basically the same but somehow i felt bored after a couple of minutes, its mainly because you play almost alone during the chapters, althought i liked it very much.
  34. Oct 2, 2015
    This is really really short and pain in the ass to fight the final boss, just play it to kill time or if your high or drunk as **** or just play it when your bored.
  35. Oct 9, 2011
    Half life episode 1 its like the two first, fantastic, funny, and one of the best games ever, its a bit more short, but it doesn't matter, its just perfect
  36. Oct 26, 2011
    Great fun as a whole and a welcome improvement in graphical quality over HL2 due to the inclusion of High-Dynamic Range and other subtle effects. Valve has worked wonders with the development of Alyx as a character in this game, with the help of industry leading facial animations and voice work. The enemy AI has been improved a decent amount and the level design is tight and intense (notGreat fun as a whole and a welcome improvement in graphical quality over HL2 due to the inclusion of High-Dynamic Range and other subtle effects. Valve has worked wonders with the development of Alyx as a character in this game, with the help of industry leading facial animations and voice work. The enemy AI has been improved a decent amount and the level design is tight and intense (not in a negative way). Unfortunately the game is too short for the standard asking price @ roughly 3-4 hours long, however those 4 hours were some of the most intense and fun I have experienced in a shooter in a long time. Recommend you buy it on special or as part of the HL Pack or Orange Box. Expand
  37. May 3, 2013
    If you've seen and played Half-Life 2(like I guess) you already know the deal.

Episode One is the first in a series of episodes following Half-Life 2. The plot is set where the original ended, right after Citadel's explosion, where the player must re-stabilize Citadel's Core to prevent it from destruction. You're once again fighting your way out of the city, and saving rebels and
    If you've seen and played Half-Life 2(like I guess) you already know the deal.

Episode One is the first in a series of episodes following Half-Life 2.

You're once again fighting your way out of the city, and saving rebels and people pinned down in the city.

For an sequel, Episode One has some flaws, like it doesn't feature new stuff like characters, and weapons, but it continues the story with the same professionalism as the previous game did.

However, Episode One comes with an updated engine, with advanced shaders, and even more improved AI.

I can't say many other things, since is a relatively short sequel.

Like the sequel and original game, the episode has a great value and deserves to be played.
  38. Oct 20, 2014
    Being a huge Half Life fan, I finally caved & bought Episode 1 on sale in October 2014. I just finished it. I have to say it sucked. The hardest difficulty was barely a challenge, and it was so short it felt like cut unfinished HL2 content.

The whole "Half Life 2: Episode X" system has in my opinion failed miserably. I'm going to play Episode 2 next, but I don't expect much better.

Extremely linear path, boring puzzles. I also highly disagree with the art direction of HL2. It just feels so rusty & industrial 24/7. I missed half life 1's scientific & top secret feel.
  39. Nov 17, 2011
    I never understood the relatively low scores on reviews provided by the public for the Half-Life 2 "episodes." Honestly, I thought they were delightfully fun, incorporated the same kinds of enjoyable gameplay elements as HL2, and had a pleasurable-yet-brief single-player experience that added more Half-Life fun to the universe. I look back on Episode One in particular with fond memories,I never understood the relatively low scores on reviews provided by the public for the Half-Life 2 "episodes." Honestly, I thought they were delightfully fun, incorporated the same kinds of enjoyable gameplay elements as HL2, and had a pleasurable-yet-brief single-player experience that added more Half-Life fun to the universe. I look back on Episode One in particular with fond memories, but to each his own. Regardless, I definitely give this addition to the Half-Life saga my approval. Give it a try - it may be short compared to HL2, but it's not too short compared to a lot of FPS games these days, and it has a heck of a lot more interesting atmosphere and story to it than trashy modern FPS games do. Expand
  40. Apr 25, 2012
    This is a pretty decent expansio, but it doesn't hold the same standard as the original game. I kind of just wanted to rush through it, and that's how I still feel about it. Still, a mediocre Half-Life game is better than most other games.
  41. Sep 10, 2012
    Even better than HL². If it were possible to give 11, I would do it. This episode has numerous distinct parts, each has its own atmosphere and feeling. Yet everything has been done flawlessly, and you play from the start to the end without realizing it.
  42. Dec 15, 2012
    A short little story, but I explained allegedly happened after the explosion of City 17. Back to the Same, ie same graphics, same characters and same gameplay. This does not prevent is good because if it's the same this never bored
  43. Jan 6, 2015
    Almost as good as the first half life 2. Spectacular gameplay. The antlion level drags a bit, but who cares, you get to blast bugs in the face with your shotgun! If you want to know what happens after HL2, you won't be disappointed.
  44. Aug 6, 2012
    Valve definitely stepped their game up in Ep. 1, which I didn't think was possible. This game is just simply excellent. The difficulty can still be a bit frustrating at times, and VERY inconsistent, but the game gets so much easier every time you play through it. The music, like in Half-Life 2, is timed perfectly, and I'm not kidding, it plays right into the gameplay. The music selectionValve definitely stepped their game up in Ep. 1, which I didn't think was possible. This game is just simply excellent. The difficulty can still be a bit frustrating at times, and VERY inconsistent, but the game gets so much easier every time you play through it. The music, like in Half-Life 2, is timed perfectly, and I'm not kidding, it plays right into the gameplay. The music selection is also perfect, some rock-oriented music here, some spooky ambience there. The most notable improvement in the game is in the NPCs, namely Alyx. The sense of complete isolation that I felt when I was playing Half-Life 2 is not present in this game. You feel like you're actually part of something, and not someone who just goes around doing everything by themselves, although that STILL happens a great deal. My only legitimate complaint is in the gameplay elements that Half-Life 2 had. Whatever happened to the huge amount of puzzles present in Half-Life 2, you know like physics puzzles? Ep. 1 is mostly combat, which is not a good direction for Valve, because it only makes me think of the features not present in this game that other shooters have. The puzzles were what made this game SO interesting, they need to go back to that. However, I would still rather play this entire episode than play the last few chapters of Half-Life 2. Those were mercilessly hard, and particularly brainless. Speaking of endings...Ep. 1 has to have one of the most epic endings I've ever seen in a video game, and it's all because of the excellent graphics and sound. Seeing such an awesome ending was just what needed to happen after the difficulty in achieving it. Expand
  45. Oct 14, 2015
    The gameplay is freakishly entertaining with new game mechanics and many memorable levels. It's as good as Half Life 2. The story? Unfortunately not as rich and up-to-the-mark as Half Life 2. We simply have to escape City 17, that's all. I expected at least something new once Alyx and we escape the citadel but it's just run-run-run and run. The boss fights and a certain sniper level makeThe gameplay is freakishly entertaining with new game mechanics and many memorable levels. It's as good as Half Life 2. The story? Unfortunately not as rich and up-to-the-mark as Half Life 2. We simply have to escape City 17, that's all. I expected at least something new once Alyx and we escape the citadel but it's just run-run-run and run. The boss fights and a certain sniper level make up for it though. But didn't have the feel and severity of Half Life 2. Made just for fun. Expand
  46. Dec 22, 2013
    Looking back on it, the original Half-Life was the best of the bunch, but later HL games and the spin-offs do have redeeming qualities, though not as much as HL1. That said, I cannot bear HL2:EP1. Why? Because it is nothing but a copy and paste follow- up. Weapons? Copy and paste! AI? Copy and paste! Enemies? Copy and paste! Gameplay? Copy and paste! Character animation and design?Looking back on it, the original Half-Life was the best of the bunch, but later HL games and the spin-offs do have redeeming qualities, though not as much as HL1. That said, I cannot bear HL2:EP1. Why? Because it is nothing but a copy and paste follow- up. Weapons? Copy and paste! AI? Copy and paste! Enemies? Copy and paste! Gameplay? Copy and paste! Character animation and design? Freakin' copy n' paste, son! Also, the character of Gordon Freeman is just as one-dimensional as you can get, and if it was for immersion reasons, it dramatically backfired because he has a distinctive appearance, an established backstory, and MOST PEOPLE AREN'T FREAKING PHYSICISTS! He could have been a sewage worker at Black Mesa and the story wouldn't have changed a lot! Look, I think the HL series is great, but i cannot tolerate this awful, confusing mess of a game. In fact, even watching the Citadel explode as you merrily escape on a train isn't satisfying! It makes absolutely ineffective use of what is one of my most despised movie and game cliches: The hero escaping the millisecond before an explosion, because that is just STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPID!!! Expand
  47. Jun 18, 2012
    Valve has done it again. The game is a continuation of half-life 2 and takes place after the final event of half-life 2. Though it does end with a cliff-hanger, it still is very interesting.
  48. Jul 15, 2013
    My review is simple.
    Probably, you played the original game Half Life 2 before the episode one (obviously).
    And I played 5 additionnal hours of the original game. Same ennemies. Same guns. Same ambiance. Practically the same place. The episode one is an extension with nothing of new. You like Half Life 2 like that and you don't need smething of new That's for you. You
    My review is simple.

And I played 5 additionnal hours of the original game.
    Same ennemies.
    Same guns.
    Same ambiance.
    Practically the same place.

The episode one is an extension with nothing of new.

You like Half Life 2 and you want an incredible innovation of Valve's disappointment for you.

If you dislike Half Life 2, why you played at this ?

For my rating, the same as Half Life 2 Good FPS, great atmosphere but where is the marking stuff ?
    What makes the game "worship" ?
    I don't find that.

The game aged so the half life's 2 revolution is past. I expected more for "the game of the decade" but he is pleasurable.

PS Epic the fight at the end
  49. Aug 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very very gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. Expand
  50. Nov 5, 2011
    Half-Life 2: Episode One is an excellent game. It continues the great story started in Half-Life 2, and improves on the experience in multiple ways, such as the shading, lighting, and AI. Alyx accompanies you the entire time, and it makes for no boring and lonely levels like Highway 17 from Half-Life 2. Its only drawback is the incredibly short playtime, at 6-7 hours.
  51. Jul 11, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, this game is not a bad game, but its not a good game, either. The sequel to the original half life 2 has come! And is it a good game? Yes, is it better than the original Half-life 2? Not in the slightest. I think the most annoying part of this game is the overloading of enemies. Zombine are the second most annoying thing on the planet next to ant-lions. Do ant-lionsDon't get me wrong, this game is not a bad game, but its not a good game, either. The sequel to the original half life 2 has come! And is it a good game? Yes, is it better than the original Half-life 2? Not in the slightest. I think the most annoying part of this game is the overloading of enemies. Zombine are the second most annoying thing on the planet next to ant-lions. Do ant-lions really need to be a thing in the HL universe? The game is fairly short too, only reaching about 2-3 hours worth of game play before leaving you at a cliff hanger, that at the time pissed me off.

There are good parts to this game, some of them i had a blast playing through, parts like the hospital, the train station part, and the fact that the game can keep you hooked, and the underground segment was a good idea, but executed poorly with the introduction of zombine and antlions. Overall it is a must have chapter that further develops the half life story with some major flaws.
  52. Jan 26, 2011
    Half Life 2 left me wanting more, but this just did not suffice. The "episode" was too short and somewhat corny at times. It just didn't feel like the same game-too short and not challenging enough. Is worth playing though to stick with the story line. Esisode 2 was much better.
  53. Sid
    Feb 10, 2011
    Half life 2 episode one, is the first of three episodes in the ongoing adventures of the silent but deadly scientist from Black Mesa, Gordon Freeman.It starts off right where it left off, with the citadel exploding and the mysterious G-Man pausing time and putting you and alyx in stasis.

I''ve read many other reviews, and this is what i don't get - so many people are saying that it's "Just half life 2 all over again!"What?! While i do agree that you don't go to any new locations that you haven't visited before, but I personally prefer this episode to the original one.Don't get me wrong - Half life 2 was amazing, but it was very fast paced according to me.Think about it - One moment you're in te zombie infested Ravenholm, and another moment you're fighting against a stryder.While it was great fun, but it felt a little substanceless.In Episode one, you actually feel like Alyx has an emotional connection with you, and that the two of you will get out of any mess when you're a team.The amount of emotinal connection is what makes this such a great game.I don't think that a FPS has ever made me feel a connection with a NPC.
  54. Sep 19, 2012
    Date night on the Half Life train. Too bad she had to go home early. Oh well, there is Episode 2 to look forward to. After spending several days with the original Half Life 2, I was disappointed to have completed Episode 1 in just 3 sittings.
  55. Jul 17, 2013
    I enjoyed Half-Life 2 despite its flaws. Episode One has precious little of what makes HL2 worthwhile namely, surprises, big setpieces and skilfully constructed levels that funnel you along a path without you realising it. Instead, we have a heavy reliance on infinite enemies streaming out of spawn points, escort missions where the escortees get stuck, and my least favourite featureI enjoyed Half-Life 2 despite its flaws. Episode One has precious little of what makes HL2 worthwhile namely, surprises, big setpieces and skilfully constructed levels that funnel you along a path without you realising it. Instead, we have a heavy reliance on infinite enemies streaming out of spawn points, escort missions where the escortees get stuck, and my least favourite feature arbitrary changes in the rules and physics to force you to do everything in one particular way. So one moment the gravity gun works on vehicles, the next it doesn't, because this particular vehicle absolutely *has* to be defeated with rockets. In a ridiculous boss fight against yet another strider (which forces, once more, you to hang around a particular spot for infinite rockets) there's no consistency at all in what you can hide behind and what you can't. The designers just threw in some arbitrary panels that look much the same as other panels but can shield you for a limited time. How limited? It varies from panel to panel.

Apart from Alex, allies are absolutely useless again. "Defend us, Gordon!" they shout, pathetically, as yet another squad of enemies is magically teleported in to an area I just cleared. How about you get out of the way so I can do that? Or, OK, just stand there and die while obstructing my view.
  56. DavidG.
    Oct 4, 2006
    Absolutely good expansion.. but the shortness was bad.. but still I give it a 10.
  57. JBobinski
    Jun 10, 2006
    More frustrating than fun, especially the really dark parts.
  58. NicolasR.
    Jun 3, 2006
    Brilliant game- don't worry about its length. It's definitly short but sweet!
  59. EubieButt
    Jun 30, 2006
    Just funushed Ep 1, so here's my im[pression while it's still fresh: gameplay wise, it's excellent, especially the final sequence in Nova Prospekt. Very tight, very well paced, and the dose of humor was a welcome addition. All that said, I have two major problems, the first being that as tight as the gameplay is, the programming is not; load times were egregious and theJust funushed Ep 1, so here's my im[pression while it's still fresh: gameplay wise, it's excellent, especially the final sequence in Nova Prospekt. Very tight, very well paced, and the dose of humor was a welcome addition. All that said, I have two major problems, the first being that as tight as the gameplay is, the programming is not; load times were egregious and the graphics made my computer chug at levels Half Life 2 never did. Second, obviously, is that it's much too short for a twenty dollar price tag. Ten dollars, fine, fifteen maybe, but at twenty bucks I'm shelling out five dollars an hour for gameplay, a ratio no reasonable gamer should accept.
    I also wasn't crazy about the ending, it works dramatically, but it's not nearly the level of payoff I was expecting. Was The Agent's VA off sick or something?
  60. RobertB.
    Jun 7, 2006
    20$ for some maps and cutscenes? this takes halflife2 further and further away from halflife1 style and closer to counterstrike. be prepared for the rat race, cuz thats what you are gonna be doing in your gaming experience. looks like its going to be time to avoid the haflife series.
  61. AnonymousMC
    Very good expansion.
  62. ArtK.
    Jun 20, 2006
    Disappointing!
    * the game was a 1 day game , too short
    *The game got no shoot action, I know action is not the point of the game but lack of it nakes it nothing * it is not as smooth as I expected it to be, it is not polished enough. By that, I mean the game got quite a lot of flaws in the design * Valve gave up :( , can't u c. Valve is making episodes cause they want money and
    Disappointing!
    * the game was a 1 day game , too short
    * Valve gave up :( , can't u c. Valve is making episodes cause they want money and all they do is say at the end of the game " oh, what happens next...BUY THE NEXT EPISODE AND FIND OUT"
    * 20$ = RIP OFF, C'MON ITS WORTH 8-12 $

well, Valve forgot about the true meaning of the game. It is GRAPHICS ADVENTURE ACTION
    but replaced it with GRAPHICS ADVENTURE ALYX
    All this is is a rip off, the truth can be sad

HL1 = 10
    HL2 = 8
    HL2 episode 1= 6

see where this is going

the game lost its replayability quality, and shooting action and if its 4 more episodes they are making, get a life cause that is 4 days of gaming for 100$ and probably 2 years of waiting
    People should start making something good and long like HL2 but not rush and make a worse game such as the aftermath
  63. ErikA.
    Jun 29, 2006
    Very great gameplay, with the right mixture of scary and exciting gameplay.
  64. AdamS.
    Jun 3, 2006
    The essence of all the good things from HL2!
  65. GrantF.
    Jun 4, 2006
    More of Half Life 2 (as suggested in the title) it isn't Half Life 3 !!I think sets a higher standard than the 2004 HL2 - simply stunning to look at and intriguing to play.
  66. ???
    Jun 4, 2006
    Very good.
  67. SeanB.
    Jun 6, 2006
    I thought it was a great diversion. I'll agree it was a bit short (even for 20 bucks). Maybe they could make the others longer if they require Ep1 to be purchased first.
  68. Joe
    Jun 6, 2006
    Rubbish. A short piece of extremely linear gameplay such that you might think it had been cut from HL:2. No challenges and underwelming set pieces. Didn't feel like an exploration. Alyx is a pointless, characterless companion. Come on, nothing happened, nothing new was revealed
  69. KongFu
    Jun 8, 2006
    Well, what can I say about it? I can not find the feeling from playing Half-Life 2 when 2 years ago... The Episode is a failure, a trap that sucks up your money... Valve, if you like the way of making game like Episode 1... Make some more....and remember, they should be FREE but not $20.00.
  70. ChristopherB.
    Jul 10, 2006
    absolutely incredible the hospital and the elevator battle in particularly good... the hospital in particular was reminicent of silent hill the scares were much more artfufully done... bravo!
  71. VitRa
    Jul 28, 2006
    My Regardes to HF team. It is the most wanted game. I thought its not worth it cause i played HF2 I was wrong, wery wrong, i can say that EP 1 is even better). But to short), it all ends very fast and i felt really apset. I think we should wait even HF 3 with most live Char we have ever seen)It Can Be Freeman, but i suppose his name will be not Gordon). (You should teach him to talk, and My Regardes to HF team. It is the most wanted game. I thought its not worth it cause i played HF2 I was wrong, wery wrong, i can say that EP 1 is even better). But to short), it all ends very fast and i felt really apset. I think we should wait even HF 3 with most live Char we have ever seen)It Can Be Freeman, but i suppose his name will be not Gordon). (You should teach him to talk, and to be careful with objects i think) Waiting for Ep2 and saing bravo with my cap off. Expand
  72. DylanT.
    Aug 20, 2006
    should be longer even though its an episode and should have more action and stay with its true meaning.
  73. YoannF.
    Sep 5, 2006
    Great and beautifull, but... too short! I achieved it in two afternoons ... i was expecting weeks of gaming :-( That is a great deception to me ..... When i buyed it (19.9
  74. Novi4ekNone
    Feb 17, 2007
    good game
  75. Josh.G
    May 29, 2007
    Would have given it 9 for extra gameplay and 10 for new weapons and environments. Over all though it was fun!
  76. MarkE.
    Jul 7, 2007
    What a shame there was not more substance to this game - it seemed like gameplay for gameplay's sake rather than a comprehensive and well thought out storyline. And as others have said, short... very short. I've gone back to playing the original as it had more meat and more substance... here's hoping episodes 2 and 3 don't make the same mistake as it has the potential What a shame there was not more substance to this game - it seemed like gameplay for gameplay's sake rather than a comprehensive and well thought out storyline. And as others have said, short... very short. I've gone back to playing the original as it had more meat and more substance... here's hoping episodes 2 and 3 don't make the same mistake as it has the potential to be an amazing trilogy (the original plus 2 and 3!) Expand
  77. scottd
    Jan 1, 2010
    dont think im hateing, i think the beggining of half life 2 ep 1 is dazzleing and amazeing (and a great way to experience the organic grave gun if you havnt gotten up to that part in half life two) and i think the ending is brillaintly epic, but everything inbetween is just a bland blur and is mostly just rehash of the latter parts of half-life 2 (follow freeman), that and i personaly did dont think im hateing, i think the beggining of half life 2 ep 1 is dazzleing and amazeing (and a great way to experience the organic grave gun if you havnt gotten up to that part in half life two) and i think the ending is brillaintly epic, but everything inbetween is just a bland blur and is mostly just rehash of the latter parts of half-life 2 (follow freeman), that and i personaly did not enjoy bogging through the darkened underground before getting to city 17 topside, good start, epic finish, bland middle! Expand
  78. DaveT.
    Oct 13, 2006
    If you love Half Life 2, you'll love the sequel(s). Can't wait for the XBOX 360 version in HIGH DEFINITION!
  79. TJH
    Oct 29, 2006
    Very good game.
  81. Greg
    Oct 4, 2006
    The game seemed, in terms of quality, to fall short in comparison to the original HL2 release. There were a few areas in the game where it felt things were just thrown together; or just fell short to the level of experience we've come to know and love. Still a cool game.
  82. A
    Oct 6, 2006
    Great game! But its so short...
  83. MichaelD.
    Oct 6, 2006
    It's very good.
  84. KennyJ.
    Jun 1, 2006
    Perfect game in all aspects. It is basically a continuation of HL2, with some graphical and AI improvements. Taking into consideration that HL2 was astounding, and that EP1 just gives us an improved version of what we already liked, this game is easily a 10/10.
  85. Gerard
    Jun 1, 2006
    It's an extension of Half-Life2 with only one mod that I could think of ( Combine rifle seems more efficient ) Very well made episodic content. Although smaller than I'd like, I have to force myself to remember its not a full game. Although it kind of sucks that this episode raises more questions than it answers, when everything is said and done, im sure we'll all wish it It's an extension of Half-Life2 with only one mod that I could think of ( Combine rifle seems more efficient ) Very well made episodic content. Although smaller than I'd like, I have to force myself to remember its not a full game. Although it kind of sucks that this episode raises more questions than it answers, when everything is said and done, im sure we'll all wish it would have stretched out for another episode or 2. The AI is very well developed, especially Alex. She's not just some tag-along, she does her fair share of work. My only 2 gripes are that they haven't introduced a new gun along the lines of an m4a1-type, but they did partly make up for it with a more 'solid' feeling Combine Assult Rifle. The recoil doesn't kick in as fast, making the gun a lot more functional. Also, I wish Valve would make 'nade-cooking' possible on the Single player HL2 like it does in HL2:DM. Some things I'd like to see from the new episode ( since I know Valve reads these metascores since they direct people to this site directly from steam ): 1)a combine m4a1 2)nade cooking in single player Expand
  86. RonyeG.
    Jun 10, 2006
    The game is very easy and too short! The graphs are fine and yuo can play it with any average video adapter. $20 is too expensive for a 3 days game. HL2 was much better!!
  87. Luke
    Jun 1, 2006
    The game was great it was cool to hear those poison head crabs they always freak me out. Great game and i hope they make another instalment soon.
  88. Pase
    Jun 12, 2006
    Too short!
  89. MartinI.
    Jun 13, 2006
    Im afraid I can only give this game 5 out of ten. Not because I didnt enjoy it, but because it was very short; way to short in fact. I enjoyed the new sections, the brevity of the episode left me feeling ripped off. Be aware I finished this in an evening and I am not even a full time gamer anymore! wait until it comes down in price, Valve has become what all successful corporations are, GREEDY!!
  90. TerenceC.
    Jun 10, 2006
    all the same weapons from Half-Life 2, no new ones, only one new enemy creature, and well zombines are a disappointment, there's only 2-4 hours of gameplay, so it's not worth $20 very disappointed with you valve.
  91. AndrewSutherland
    Jun 14, 2006
    This is a truly brilliant game which takes the Half Life 2 formula and refines it with varied and constantly enjoyable gameplay. The characters are brilliantly portrayed (Alyx especially) and i really started to feel attached to them by the end of the game. It is short but i feel its to be expected considering its named EPISODE 1. There is very little to critisise about this game... itsThis is a truly brilliant game which takes the Half Life 2 formula and refines it with varied and constantly enjoyable gameplay. The characters are brilliantly portrayed (Alyx especially) and i really started to feel attached to them by the end of the game. It is short but i feel its to be expected considering its named EPISODE 1. There is very little to critisise about this game... its totally bug free, runs well on most hardware and has HDR which looks very nice indeed if you have the hardware to enable it... I could only wish for a few more weapons, enemies and perhaps a vehicle scene. Buy this game!!! Expand
  92. DenisG.
    Jun 19, 2006
    Well, I think Episode One is a game of "must have" type. Very good grafics (even now) , wonderful sound and brilliand work of voice-actors. Gameplay and AI - 10/10.
  93. KyleP.
    Jun 20, 2006
    This was an excellent continuation to Half-Life 2, albeit a tad too short. I still enjoyed playing it, especially with HDR in the whole game.
  94. Michael
    Jun 2, 2006
    Hi. Not as good as HL2 :( Some really nice scences but too short and sometimes a bit boring. cya
  95. MikeL.
    Jun 2, 2006
    Great game good pace didn
  96. PatB.
    Jun 2, 2006
    A perfect example of what episodic gaming should be. After the release of the first episode of SIN on steam, I was slightly concerned that Half Life 2: Episode 1 would not be able to showcase all the new visual upgrades, incredible storytelling, and panic-inducing gameplay I expected from the Half-Life universe. I am more than excited to say, this game has surpassed all of my hopes and A perfect example of what episodic gaming should be. After the release of the first episode of SIN on steam, I was slightly concerned that Half Life 2: Episode 1 would not be able to showcase all the new visual upgrades, incredible storytelling, and panic-inducing gameplay I expected from the Half-Life universe. I am more than excited to say, this game has surpassed all of my hopes and dreams. The Storyline is a perfect continuation from the rather enigmatic ending of Half-Life 2, and character development in games has been redefined once again. Sadly, due to its short length, not much of an appearance is made by the all-powerful G-Man, an element I was much anticipating after reading the pre-release hype. The graphic enhancements to the source engine are visually breath-taking. After playing through the game once more with the commentary enabled, I am much more impressed with the skill and art of Episode 1's creation. though I must say, the audio commentary enjoys placing heavy reliance on the term "vista." Not that I can complain, for these vistas are truly stunning. Gameplay is on-par with what should be expected from the Half-Life 2 universe. New tweaks, and npc animations, provide visual flair and definite moments of pure player shock. The first time I saw, in-game, Alyx deftly crack a zombie in the side wih her knee, pull back, and place a three-round burst into it's head-crabbed melon, I was amazed. Half-Life 2: episode 1 is well worth a buy at twenty dollars, and as far as I am concerned,it is the future of gaming. Expand
  97. VárnaiD.
    Jun 2, 2006
    I think this game is very good. Small and good but I find some bug (I'm stucked in some place). The maps are very nice. Good job VALVe!
  98. BobS.
    Jun 2, 2006
    Short? Fairly. Clever? Especially. Fun? Undoubtably. Good value? Yes. Although this, the first in a trilogy of episodes tagged on to the end of the superb Half-Life 2, lasts only 4-6 hours (although very very fast players have allegedly managed it in uder three), the game is ceratinly worth it's $20 price tag. It can be played stand alone but there's no question that the main Short? Fairly. Clever? Especially. Fun? Undoubtably. Good value? Yes. Although this, the first in a trilogy of episodes tagged on to the end of the superb Half-Life 2, lasts only 4-6 hours (although very very fast players have allegedly managed it in uder three), the game is ceratinly worth it's $20 price tag. It can be played stand alone but there's no question that the main game should be played first. The excellent action from HL2 is upped even further in EP1 with many tense moments. The consensus is that the gameplay in general is an improvement over what was already a formidable experience. The puzzles are more fun and certainly more intelligent and, although there are few new enemies or weapons, there is certainly variety of experience and a satisfying challenge. You will spend most of the with Alyx alongside you which turns out to be a great help and not a hinderance as is so often found when an FPS gives you an AI companion. Futhermore, the script is still excellent and the improved facial expressions system brings a new level of immersion to the dialogue. Some players have even caught themselves talking back! Add to this HDR lighting, a few plot revelations (just a few though :P) and an optional audio commentary, the likelyhood is that you will play this through numerous times and feel completely satisfied. Expand
  99. David
    Jun 3, 2006
    HL2 was GREAT, i think all players who played the game and are a fan wanted to spend more time with Alyx, and now you can! The graphics, storyline and AI in EP2 are FANTASTIC! I'ts certainly worth the 20$. EP1 leaves you aching for EP2 and HL3 and that's why it doesn't matter if the game only takes 4-6 h to finish it, you had so much fun playing it and wanting to know what HL2 was GREAT, i think all players who played the game and are a fan wanted to spend more time with Alyx, and now you can! The graphics, storyline and AI in EP2 are FANTASTIC! I'ts certainly worth the 20$. EP1 leaves you aching for EP2 and HL3 and that's why it doesn't matter if the game only takes 4-6 h to finish it, you had so much fun playing it and wanting to know what happens next that you can't wait for EP2 to be realeased . Ignore the people who rate this game below 7 or 8. I pitty them because obviously they have no taste and are just trying to make this game look bad. HL2:Episode One is a perfect example of how pc games should be like. It always keeps you in suspense and u never get tired of it. Great job Valve!!!! Expand
  100. AlfonsoP.
    Jun 3, 2006
    I am a Valve fanboy since the first Half-Life came out and I sincerly was satisfied with Half-Life 2. The expansion pack (although fairly short) lives up to Half-Life 2 incredible gameplay and intense atmosphere. The only fault I would point out would be that the AI is still faulty. I would love to get jumped from all sides at the same time by a squad of combine troopers. Make them act as I am a Valve fanboy since the first Half-Life came out and I sincerly was satisfied with Half-Life 2. The expansion pack (although fairly short) lives up to Half-Life 2 incredible gameplay and intense atmosphere. The only fault I would point out would be that the AI is still faulty. I would love to get jumped from all sides at the same time by a squad of combine troopers. Make them act as a team, employing tactics to overcome Gordon. With the currently used AI combine troopers are not scared of granades, simply a "Watch out!" they still get blown up though. Some of them will also run the same path a dead combine trooper did, making them fall in the same fate. I need to be challanged a more chalanged than making my weapons incredibly weak, I need to be forced to think alternative ways of anihalating a squad of the combine because going at them head on would be suicide. It would be also nice if there where more enemy classes, although i am still satisfied with the current charachters. Other than this, the new entry is all I could wish for and in future entries you should make gameplay with Alyx and Barney even more extencibe to find out more about them. "Half-Life 2: Episode One" is the way an expansion should be made. Expand

1. Just like the original Half-Life 2, Episode One keeps the player entertained almost the entire time through perfect pacing and by being inventive, surprising and getting the basics absolutely right. It's a wonderful advert for the excitement that true episodic content can generate when approached the right way.
  2. Episode One is a memorable romp through the Half-Life universe, with gameplay that's even more satisfying than that of "Half-Life 2." The only downside is that, due to its episodic nature, it's over far too soon.
    A brief, stylistically claustrophobic experience whose polish and personality manage to keep things moving.