9.2

Aug 22, 2009
    Best game ever. period.
  2. Slipcr
    Nov 20, 2006
    This is best game I ever played in different ways, one of these is the large escale of graphics and textures, and this game have the most advanced movement system of all the thing and environment. Really GOOD game!
  3. JakeG.
    Dec 22, 2006
    Best Game ever! Great graphics, sound and very fun game!!
  4. ChristosF.
    Dec 27, 2006
    This is in my opinion the best single player game ever. Nearly all existing different gameplay types are included and they're all fun. Source rules. I can't find anything wrong at all. Well, I could complain that it doesn't last foverever.
  5. NickD.
    May 12, 2006
    Awesome... no other words can describe.
  6. AivarsL.
    Bestest game ever made :D
  7. CurtisC.
    May 12, 2006
    As a kid turning teen i can not still believe how awesome the graphics are i mean this is better then the final fantasy series best game ever made enough said.
  8. SimonP.
    Oct 12, 2008
    This is really the best game ever made, the graphics, the gameplay, the way your view of the weapon changes when you turn around, the story, the lead charcters expresions when they talk and of course G-MAN!!!! :) the only thing i can think of that is a little bit bad is the music. It sounds good enough but the first time you will play game it wont last long enough and the next then it This is really the best game ever made, the graphics, the gameplay, the way your view of the weapon changes when you turn around, the story, the lead charcters expresions when they talk and of course G-MAN!!!! :) the only thing i can think of that is a little bit bad is the music. It sounds good enough but the first time you will play game it wont last long enough and the next then it almost cant before the game needs to load again. im not saying that the game is'nt challenging the second time, its mostly because you know were you need to go to. But what the hell chould Valve do about that?? Expand
  9. Bobbobbo
    Sep 24, 2008
    The best game I have ever played.
  10. Apr 26, 2012
    Truly one of the greatest videogames - nay - pieces of entertainment of our generation. Combining a well-executed script, engaging plot and lovable characters that will become instantly attachable. The blend of puzzle and action makes for exceptional gameplay and Valve's Source Engine flexes it's muscles on this title. Half-Life 2 is the definition of a perfect videogame.

And, there's

And, there's that boat-ride...
  11. Jun 3, 2011
    Quite possibly the best FPS ever made. No wait, it is... Both the critics and users alike agree! Storyline is solid... (wish Hollywood would figure out how to write good entertainment like Valve did) and the action, the music, the graphics. Just everything is badass!
  12. Apr 5, 2012
    if you're looking endless action, endless fun, the best story ever made, the best AI, awesome and powerful guns, strong and really creepy disgusting enemies, the best graphics and physics, great soundtrack, intrigue, emotion, chills, lovely characters, the best protagonist and everything inside a FPS game, then you need to buy half life 2
  13. Jan 1, 2014
    Absolutely, unquestionably one of the greatest games to hit the surface of our fair planet. Still, to this day amazing. I have lost count of the amount of times I have played through this game. The elegance of the leve design is unbelievable. introduce a concept.... let you use it.... then challenge you with it and make you feel really clever for working it out. Stunning story.
  14. Dec 14, 2011
    This is the best game i haver played.i have played it 5 times and never get bored.It has good graphics and best game play .True value for money game. I am eagerly waiting for hl2 ep3
  15. Dec 31, 2011
    I have finally got around to playing this game and completing the original which I started 11 years ago! Having played FPS that were released in 2009 and 2010 I am amazed with Halflife 2- the graphics are still great and the level design is spectacular. I enjoyed the zombie level so much that I just brought the left for dead games for 4 euros from steam. All the levels have their own veryI have finally got around to playing this game and completing the original which I started 11 years ago! Having played FPS that were released in 2009 and 2010 I am amazed with Halflife 2- the graphics are still great and the level design is spectacular. I enjoyed the zombie level so much that I just brought the left for dead games for 4 euros from steam. All the levels have their own very distinct character but somehow you move from one to the next seamlessly. The campaign has so much variety- you could be driving along the open coast next to the sea in one (with the sound of the sea in your ears if you get a quiet moment) or feeling oppressed and claustrophobic as the evil combine guard infiltrate the apartment blocks you're hiding in. Great game- still have not found any FPS since 2004 that surpasses it. Expand
  16. Dec 26, 2011
    Endless possibilities awaiting for you with the Source Engine presented by VALVe Corporation with their best game ever made: Half-Life: 2.
    Extreme action in this FPS game with one of the most original stories,between us,who the hell would had thought of putting a scientist as the main character in an FPS game? There is no reason for your delay,if You haven't played it yet,go buy it now. trust me,I know it will give you 'the feeling'.

Sam Segal.26.12.11
  17. Jan 9, 2012
    Grafica stupefacente; gameplay straordinario e coinvolgente; AI imprevedibile (quindi egregia); armi originali (provare il ferormone per credere): insomma, non si può pretendere di più da un gioco d'azione in prima persona che, a 7 anni dalla sua comparsa, sa ancora regalare incredibili emozioni. Questo secondo capitolo entra di diritto, come il precedente, nellaGrafica stupefacente; gameplay straordinario e coinvolgente; AI imprevedibile (quindi egregia); armi originali (provare il ferormone per credere): insomma, non si può pretendere di più da un gioco d'azione in prima persona che, a 7 anni dalla sua comparsa, sa ancora regalare incredibili emozioni. Questo secondo capitolo entra di diritto, come il precedente, nella Hall of Fame dei videogiochi. Expand
  18. Apr 10, 2012
    I don't write anything insightful. Half-Life 2 is one of the best game ever made. For me the biggest advantage is the story and well written characters, especially Alyx. Must play!
  19. Feb 3, 2012
    The greatest modern FPS game!
    Although it was made in 2004, it is way ahead of many modern games, like Call of Duty!
    Think of it as like Classical Greece compared to the Persian empire!
    It is the only game I know that can rival Doom or Heretic!
  20. Feb 24, 2012
    Just such an amazing game. So unique and amazing. It's just so smart. It has such a think story line. It's not just a "shoot whatever you see" game. If you like action it has a lot of that but it is also very intellectual. NEVER WILL REGRET BUYING IT!!!!
  21. Mar 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OMG this game is so awesomely brilliant, its one of the best games i have ever played (I've played hl1, hl2, hl2ep1, hl2ep2.) i just think its just brilliant, graphics are brilliant, and the way some of the fast zombies run at you was terrifyingly brilliant (especially when you have all around sound) Expand
  22. Mar 7, 2012
    Half-Life 2 is an epic sci-fi FPS, with one of the best atmospheres of any games i have ever played. The game offers intense and varied FPS game play with a great story and some puzzles on the way. Probably my favorite game to this date.
  23. Mar 13, 2012
    What can I say? This game really shouldnt even be called a game. What it sets out to do is so beyond our standard notion of videogames that it defies that categorization. The fundamental difference between Half Life 2 and "videogames" is that Half Life 2 wants you to go on an adventure, not play a game. Do you see the difference? Videogames are predicated on the fact that they have toWhat can I say? This game really shouldnt even be called a game. What it sets out to do is so beyond our standard notion of videogames that it defies that categorization. The fundamental difference between Half Life 2 and "videogames" is that Half Life 2 wants you to go on an adventure, not play a game. Do you see the difference? Videogames are predicated on the fact that they have to entertain you through the provision of some form of "play" or "game". Half Life 2 isn't about getting to play with a gun, or killing a roomful of aliens: It's not a game. It's not play. All that stuff comes as an afterthought. The entire point of Half Life 2 is that you get to witness the most important day in Gordon Freeman's life in its entirety - and It was one hell of a day. If you were to watch a playthrough of Half Life 2 without having any control over the character at all, It really wouldn't effect the overall experience that much. No other game studio has had, or since had, the balls to do something like this, and not even Valve -at least not until Half Life 3. Half Life 2 is virtual reality at it's finest, and you owe it to yourself to experience it. Expand
  24. Mar 13, 2012
    Best Game Forever! The game is very well armed, the maps are unique, and the game has a plot that grabs you.
    Better gameplay, better story, good graphics, nothing else to say!
    just, Who the hell is Gman?!
  25. Mar 15, 2012
    I am 44 years old, and a hardcore gamer. Started out when the first personal computer came out. Have played almost 90% of the games since 1983 to 2012. The only game that impressed me to this day in terms of storyline, graphics, game physics and rendering has to be half-life 2. Its the only game that will keep making you come back and play it over and over without getting bored. ManyI am 44 years old, and a hardcore gamer. Started out when the first personal computer came out. Have played almost 90% of the games since 1983 to 2012. The only game that impressed me to this day in terms of storyline, graphics, game physics and rendering has to be half-life 2. Its the only game that will keep making you come back and play it over and over without getting bored. Many times i have started this game and finished it in one sitting. This is how good it gets and still has that spark. No other games will make you feel that, thats a challenge. Collapse
  26. Apr 1, 2012
    Half Life 2 is FPS perfection. Nothing gets better than this. For a game of 2004 the graphics are astounding. The interaction in-game characters have with you and facial movement is remarkable. The shooting is back and better than ever. Now less repetitive, longer, better and sexier.
  27. May 7, 2012
    Possibly the greatest game of all time.
    Fantastic story, incredible gameplay, graphics that still hold up in 2012, and characters that are impossible to not love. This game, nay this masterpiece, is a landmark in gaming.
  28. Apr 12, 2012
    Throughout the years, the originality and the way Half Life 2 sucks you in, has made it my favorite game. I've played it countless times all the way through, and unless I lose my mind, I plan on playing any future release that is put out. Thanks Valve!
  29. Apr 21, 2012
    This game is one of the greatest games ever on Pc. I would like to go to what the people who gave it said. I've heard people saying it's unrealistic and that is really stupid thing to say because if it's a game it will never be realistic and there are freaking Head Crabs so I don't think realism was their goal. It has been compared to Far Cry but in my opinion the graphics and gameplay inThis game is one of the greatest games ever on Pc. I would like to go to what the people who gave it said. I've heard people saying it's unrealistic and that is really stupid thing to say because if it's a game it will never be realistic and there are freaking Head Crabs so I don't think realism was their goal. It has been compared to Far Cry but in my opinion the graphics and gameplay in this game were a million times better. Some people said it was boring but it isn't just run and gun there are actually some pretty awesome puzzles in this game. The AI isn't bad at all and the people who said that must have been playing on easy because they actually tried and sometimes succeeded to out maneuver me. The story was great and this was a huge advancement from the first one and if for whatever reason you don't have it buy it for only $10. You will definitely get a bang for your buck. Expand
  30. May 1, 2012
    Best. Game. Ever. Created.
    Vavle made a big step in the right direction, and since HL2 many game developers tried to copy it. But they will fail, because in my opinion, the only game which will (or could... yeah, Valve can't count to 3) make it is HL3.
    10 out of 10.
  31. May 7, 2012
    Really awesome game!The best storyline combined with the source engine= this game!I recommend it to everyone who is in doubt, this game rules, and the price is too low in my opinion! (6.99 euro)
  32. May 10, 2012
    Actually one of my BEST OF THE BEST games! When I played it for the first time I was like: WTF? VALVe are GODS! So, if you ask me if its HL best game, I'll answer: No, HL isn't game, HL is religion! :-)
  33. May 13, 2012
    Half-Life 2 is an excellent single player story driven first person shooter of the highest quality. Even having been out for a few years its production values shine through in every aspect of the game. Be it the tight shooter controls, the well thought out level design, the story moments or the pioneering physics based environmental puzzles the game maintains its ability to entertain likeHalf-Life 2 is an excellent single player story driven first person shooter of the highest quality. Even having been out for a few years its production values shine through in every aspect of the game. Be it the tight shooter controls, the well thought out level design, the story moments or the pioneering physics based environmental puzzles the game maintains its ability to entertain like few others. If you are looking for a multi-player online shooter HL2 is not the best choice. However if you are a fan of FPS and have yet to play Half-Life 2 you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy and play through one weekend if for no other reason than to play a landmark title in the genre. Authors note: All of my reviews content cover what you should expect when you purchase the game to enjoy it. My scores cover what I feel is the overall quality of the game and may not reflect what I cover in the bulk of my review. Expand
  34. Aug 27, 2013
    The sequel to Half-Life but much different the graphics are still quite good but the animations are still really good it still is Half-Life so you will know its Half-Life the stroy telling is amazing as well an absolute masterpiece
  35. Aug 31, 2013
    Once in a while, a game comes along that takes what previous games in that genre had and makes it better. Half-Life 2 does that and it's amazing. For a game released in 2004, it ages very well, the graphics are the best I've seen when the game came out and it was a long while until another game came along to surpass the spectacular visuals. The controls are not groundbreaking norOnce in a while, a game comes along that takes what previous games in that genre had and makes it better. Half-Life 2 does that and it's amazing. For a game released in 2004, it ages very well, the graphics are the best I've seen when the game came out and it was a long while until another game came along to surpass the spectacular visuals. The controls are not groundbreaking nor spectacular, they're simple and fun to use, especially in vehicles. This is not a war shooter or a bullet-hell one, it's more of a puzzle game at times, but you have to find the puzzles. This game works at your own pace, there are no cut-scenes, it's all in first person, so you find everything for yourself. This game gives you a freedom that most FPS games did not have at the time. If your not spoiled by the FPSs of today, you'll fall in love with this game. Expand
  36. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SIMPLY THE BEST Everything about this game is AWESOME I wasn't that much of a gamer but when I played the first Half Life I became one. The first one was ok. But when I played the second one, I was Mind blown. First the graphics and physics back then were awesome. The AI was great (although today is way better), the textures were great, the gameplay felt very good. As for the story it was really good and mysterious, with the old characters from the first one and adding some really cool characters. Cant wait for Half Life 3! Expand
  37. Jul 20, 2013
    There is only one word that comes to mind when I think of this game, miraculous. Half-Life 2 is the a perfect example of a game that can make a FPS feel like the point of the game is not just to shoot everything in sight. It blends puzzle, action, adventure, and the creepy feel of it's environments together so well, that it's no overstatement to say that it is one of the greatest gamesThere is only one word that comes to mind when I think of this game, miraculous. Half-Life 2 is the a perfect example of a game that can make a FPS feel like the point of the game is not just to shoot everything in sight. It blends puzzle, action, adventure, and the creepy feel of it's environments together so well, that it's no overstatement to say that it is one of the greatest games of all time. Expand
  38. Aug 7, 2013
    Far, FAR better thanthe origonal. The beefed up the graphics, and yet my laptop could still play it very well. New aliens appear and old ones get a nice new polish added to them. Having breakable environments and the new grav gun and ability to pick up items makes the world far more interactive and easy to emerse yourself in this game.

If you have played the first one and not this one

If you have played the first one and not this one then what the hell are you doing?
  39. Aug 7, 2013
    when I was young I had a very crappy PC. no much games would run on it. so I an somehow raised by half-life 1 and 2. I feel sorry for my friends with their awesome PC's who thought this game is to crappy for them. I can't even recall how many times I've played this game and other half-life series parts. It always had that new exciting taste every time you start.
  40. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is just wonderful. It has a great story, great atmosphere and most of all characters which you won't forget quickly. I think it's more an adventure FPS, where you can discover a world with interesting enemies and places (even if it's linear). The physics engine and graphics are also revolutionary and changed the FPS!
    PS: Do yourself a favour and DON'T DOWNLOAD THE CINEMATIC MOD!
    PS: Do yourself a favour and DON'T DOWNLOAD THE CINEMATIC MOD! It destroys the atmosphere, characters and gameplay of Half-Life 2!
  41. Feb 14, 2014
    A true memorable game with great mechanics and story. This is one of my favorite games and I really hope that it'll have a sequell with the same or better quality.
  42. NLS
    Jan 21, 2014
    There is a reason I review this 10 years after its release.
    Even today, this game is a MONUMENT to gaming.
    So many things done so right. It stands well (actually great) even today. We see many of the concepts other games used after HL2, here in their original form. Actually some things in HL2 are still not implemented (properly) in other games of the genre. Pity Valve is weird about
    There is a reason I review this 10 years after its release.
    Even today, this game is a MONUMENT to gaming.
    So many things done so right.
    It stands well (actually great) even today.
    Pity Valve is weird about the release of sequels (Portal/Portal 2 another example). This game REALLY REALLY deserves a fantastic HL3 (which is possibly what Valve is afraid of).
    This is the other game from Valve that needs to be (and actually is, topping some) in EVERY "best games of all times" list.
    Who ever doesn't have this, yes 10 years after release go and get it.
  43. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half Life 2 is the best game ever!!! Even though multiplayer is not that popular, we really need to look at the story. I can't stop playing Half Life 2!!! So much mystery and Half Life 2 has the best gameplay. Half Life 2 has a really good weapon's sounds and you can kind of feel the weapon like it's in your hands. There are really great characters like Alyx, Barney and other people you meet, and there are some characters that you want to beat up like Dr. Breen and G-Man. Guns are awesome too. I can't believe that in the end of the game they also take your normal Gravity Gun and make it a Super Gravity Gun. And The only thing I might not really like is that you don't have a sniper rifle, but it's good that Valve at least put a crossbow in the game. I also like the physics. Source made this game awesome and the graphics are still better than some games we play today!!! Expand
  44. Jan 6, 2014
    Truly, Half life 2 was one of the most polished games ever. Its refreshing to see a linear game that focuses on level design and not multiplayer. I have played the game several times, and it never fails to satisfy. there is a superb job on voice acting and story telling. Moreover, the graphics were unheard of at the time. the physics were sublime, and the game could be scary at parts. InTruly, Half life 2 was one of the most polished games ever. Its refreshing to see a linear game that focuses on level design and not multiplayer. I have played the game several times, and it never fails to satisfy. there is a superb job on voice acting and story telling. Moreover, the graphics were unheard of at the time. the physics were sublime, and the game could be scary at parts. In the beginning, its more sneaking around and trying to get from place to place, then it becomes scary, then it becomes an all out battle. I love the way the game progresses. Expand
  45. Jan 12, 2014
    G-Man: Rise and shine, Mister Freeman. Rise and... shine. Not that I... wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No one is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has... come again.
    G-Man: The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mister Freeman. Wake up and... *smell the ashes*... The game is just amazing.
  46. Jan 19, 2014
    This is the game of the games.YOU might think it is bad now because of the graphics, but back in the day, it was simply out of this world. So not judge it with games like BF3, or ARMA or COD. If you look at the games released back then, most of them were **** If you want to compare Half-Life with others games, then wait for Half-Life 3.
  47. Jan 20, 2014
    Half Life 2 has reached such a level of the story, the characters, the atmosphere that it can not be called just a game. Everything about this game is amazing it is a must buy, you will know what I mean if you play this game. I would give it an 11/10 if I could.
  48. Jan 28, 2014
    This is one of my favourites. It's long and has nice traps that you can use. Even enemies were cool. Sometimes the AI annoys me but usually it's fine. The welcome to Ravenholm was my favourite part of the game.
  49. Feb 24, 2014
    It is a amazing game i have finished it 3 times so i feel i have a pretty good understanding of what the game is sure there is a few small bugs. That's the only thing i found wrong where the small bugs.
  50. Jul 22, 2011
    Words cannot even DESCRIBE, How brilliant and well made this game is. Considerably the best FPS series i've played in my life. Brilliant Game play, Awesome voice acting, A Terrific Story. Trust me. When you buy this game, Your gaming Life will be complete.
  51. Mar 30, 2011
    This game has the perfect combination of fast fun action and shooting and deep and involving plot.

It is a great game to pick up for a while or spend half--your-life on it.

Great "acting", great story, great characters, great gameplay, great weapons, great boses, great enviroments. Every aspect of the game has seen a lot of love and atention.

And the bottom line is that is just plain FUN.
  52. Sep 10, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one of my all time game favorites. Started many years ago with Half-Life, which was one of my first games. The game was the kick-off for the Source Engine, that would be used for many other great games. The game provides a new storyline for the Half-Life-series and a total new environment. For the first time wondering around in the outside world (Eastern-Europe?) experiencing the consequences of the events that happened in the Black Mesa laboratories.

The first game ended with the mysterious Gman and this game starts with him, dropping Gordon Freeman off in City 17. Directly meeting the Combine confronts you with the earlier mentioned consequences. The Combine conquered the world after the aliens landed first via the events of the first game. As a survivor of the "Black Mesa-incident" your trying to find out whats going on and what needs to be done. Overall the game has different great atmospheres. The developers used the look of Eastern European buildings from the Cold War as a decor in urban maps, but also has many other rural scenes. (9.0)
  53. Jul 12, 2011
    This is one of the best linear FPS games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The linear style leaves very little room to get lost, which is something that turns me off of a game immediately, and gets you through the story in a timely manner while still leaving small areas that can be explored at the player's leisure. While the characters may not be especially deep, the voice acting isThis is one of the best linear FPS games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The linear style leaves very little room to get lost, which is something that turns me off of a game immediately, and gets you through the story in a timely manner while still leaving small areas that can be explored at the player's leisure. While the characters may not be especially deep, the voice acting is spot-on and is one of the better examples of good voice acting in the gaming world. If you didn't play through Half-Life, which I strongly suggest you do, you may not understand a few plot points. However, not playing Half-Life does not ruin the experience of playing Half-Life 2. This is a solid game that can be played over and over again and is a prime example of what good games should look like. Expand
  54. Aug 19, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An amazingly well built sequel for the groundbreaking Half Life, I was very excited and was disappointed that Half Life 2 didn't meet my expectations...... IT COMPLETELY SURPASSED THEM IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE. Valve has made a complete masterpiece with this game. The enemy AI, while not as amazing as Half Life's, is still top notch. The game is very realistic. I was thrown headfirst into this world and I must say that I was completely immersed in it. The graphics are extremely good and the level design is still amazing. The water effects blew me away! The characters have very good lip syncing and extremely life like emotions with great voice acting. Every location, from the urban City 17, to the extremely creepy Ravenholm are designed very well. I think that many might say that Valve spent a long time on it and will complain but I will just say how I think all that time making it shows. If I could make it so, i would give this an 11. Expand
  55. Jul 31, 2011
    An enjoyable experience albeit the linear model. The story is vague and hard to understand without playing the first game but the level-design is action-packed and offers great outcomes when paired with the Gravity Gun.
  56. Dec 5, 2011
    This is the best game of all time. The shooting feels amazing with the huge variety of weapons. This is FPS perfection; well almost. A few very minor gripes include long loading screens, which are quite frequent, and an annoying level in Ravenholm. The level's spiral layout makes it easy to fall off numerous things numerous times, but even this level mixes up the gameplay with a bit ofThis is the best game of all time. The shooting feels amazing with the huge variety of weapons. This is FPS perfection; well almost. A few very minor gripes include long loading screens, which are quite frequent, and an annoying level in Ravenholm. The level's spiral layout makes it easy to fall off numerous things numerous times, but even this level mixes up the gameplay with a bit of horror. This doesn't matter all that much as the game's story and characters are the best I've ever had the fortune to play with. Every character is developed well (even the headcrab Lamarr), and by the end I was genuinely sad when the credits rolled. Each level feels amazing; you get a real sense of being the underdogs in the war against the Combine. This is a must buy, if you don't have the bloody game already. And if you don't like this game, please staple your nipples to the piston of a speeding train. Thank you. Expand
  57. Jun 19, 2011
    I don't give 10 out of 10 lightly. This game deserves it and more. The most impressive thing about it is how it weaves gameplay and story seamlessly. The atmosphere is incredible and the graphics are effective even years later. The controls work perfectly and I cannot honestly remember a single bug that occurred in any of my playthroughs. The episodes that came after only increased howI don't give 10 out of 10 lightly. This game deserves it and more. The most impressive thing about it is how it weaves gameplay and story seamlessly. The atmosphere is incredible and the graphics are effective even years later. The controls work perfectly and I cannot honestly remember a single bug that occurred in any of my playthroughs. The episodes that came after only increased how awesome Half Life 2 is. If you haven't played this game, for the love of all that is good and holy play it as soon as you can! Expand
  58. Jul 3, 2011
    Brilliant game. The most innovative FPS in recent times. It's hard to believe that it's 7 years old now, because even by today's standards it's fantastic - truly ahead of it's time!
  59. Jul 4, 2011
    Half Life 2 arose from the imagination-less wasteland that other shooters tend to came out of. HL2 is how a game should be made. Not many games have this unusual balance of realism with the fiction of most games but this game does it well. You are placed in an Eastern European locale, not very common with games, filled with powerful imagery of propaganda, graffiti, and the feel of anHalf Life 2 arose from the imagination-less wasteland that other shooters tend to came out of. HL2 is how a game should be made. Not many games have this unusual balance of realism with the fiction of most games but this game does it well. You are placed in an Eastern European locale, not very common with games, filled with powerful imagery of propaganda, graffiti, and the feel of an Orwellian fascist state. The characters are also good and a nice change from the uncanny valley-esqe companions of other games. They look and emote like real people and all have their fair share of important and serious lines with some lighter toned comical lines, however they don't show up much. Even the poor unlucky civilian bastards are kind of interesting and you actually feel a bit sad when they die, of course you also feel angry when they can't navigate through a simple hallway. The friendly and enemy AI are both impressive but in combat, they sometimes have their moments. The music is great with its balance of atmospheric dark rhythms and upbeat techno songs. And, get this, it actually has a story! The game sometimes feels dragged on at times ( aka Highway 17 and the gunships ), but the areas with ammo and health do appear in almost every level. Great replayability. Expand
  60. Jan 19, 2013
    This is the best game i've ever played , it is the perfect style of game , no doubt of it.
    The storyline is amazing (pretty much in all hl games) , this is a 10 no doubt of it , if there was an 11 I'll put it, best game , deal with it.
  61. Nov 11, 2010
    This game is awesome. it is one of the best FPS's of all time. with an amazing storyline, fun weapons, and the source engine, this game will hook you from the first chapter. i highly recomend this to any gamer.
  62. Nov 27, 2011
    I first purchased the horrible EA port of The Orange Box for PS3 in 2008, mainly because of TF2. I had never read any so-called "hype" about this game before I played it, and it blew my mind. Sure, the graphics were four years old and the loading times showed no mercy, but the story and the variation of Half-Life is its beauty. It isn't just a game, it is a masterpiece. I played it andI first purchased the horrible EA port of The Orange Box for PS3 in 2008, mainly because of TF2. I had never read any so-called "hype" about this game before I played it, and it blew my mind. Sure, the graphics were four years old and the loading times showed no mercy, but the story and the variation of Half-Life is its beauty. It isn't just a game, it is a masterpiece. I played it and both the episodes several times, each time longing for more. It is the most perfect game I have ever played - I recently played MW3 at a friends house, and got bored after an hour, I kid you not. Half-Life 2 is the most original game I have ever played, it deserves its rating. How MW3 got its high rating I'll never understand; it's basically the same game as MW2. People need to look away from just having the best graphics, they have to start looking at storytelling and innovation. This game has soul. People says I had my opinion BEFORE I started playing this game, guess what, I hadn't read any reviews, I had barely heard about it. Trust me, turn on subtitles and pay attention to the dialogue of this game, and you will fall in love with it. Expand
  63. Dec 1, 2011
    Took me a few years to get a "wake up call" and to properly get into this game. When HL2 first came out I wasn't so keen on it. Now that having played through it again, as well as both of the episodes, I really came to appreciate how decent the game is, even compared to the games coming out nowadays. HL2 is not just an FPS game. It might seem like so at first, but there is a whole newTook me a few years to get a "wake up call" and to properly get into this game. When HL2 first came out I wasn't so keen on it. Now that having played through it again, as well as both of the episodes, I really came to appreciate how decent the game is, even compared to the games coming out nowadays. HL2 is not just an FPS game. It might seem like so at first, but there is a whole new level of depth to the gaming experience when it comes to this game. HL2 puts the player in all sorts of varying environments and against all sorts of enemies, each time changing the situation, so that you're never bored. The game is very dynamic. It keeps you surprised, changing the challenge all the time. On top of that it is very rewarding, as games should be. If you spend some time to explore for example, you find good items. The weapons are very enjoyable to use in combat, and some are even pretty unique. The Gravity Gun for example is very diverse in its applications and can be easily used for most of the combat situations in the game. The rocket launcher gives a whole new meaning to the term "homing" as you navigate the missile at your enemies with a laser sight. Every weapon is fantastic, whether it's an awesome sniper crossbow, or bugbait used to attract antlion creatures to attack the enemy. The storyline continues from the first game, except takes place a few years after. Gordon Freeman (the playable character) now finds himself in a dystopic society, where alien civilisation by the name of Combine is ruling over the humans on Earth. The story of HL2 manages to show tyranny and oppression really well. The story still leaves some loose ends, which opened up an opportunity for the sequels. Half Life 2 is generally an all round great game with no outstanding flaws whatsoever (although I felt that earlier parts of the game weren't as good as the latter parts). Great story, fun gameplay, beautiful visuals, nice soundtrack, and very lifelike NPCs (they act just like real people!). Expand
  64. Aug 28, 2011
    Classic. The first Half-Life was one hell of a journey, but this is even more awesome and worth all the money I spent on a new computer when it was released. The design, graphics and storyline is epic. When I played HL2, I remember it gave me a feeling of being in a strange lucid dream that seems real. What a masterpiece of art. I consider Half-Life 2 to be the greatest game of all timeClassic. The first Half-Life was one hell of a journey, but this is even more awesome and worth all the money I spent on a new computer when it was released. The design, graphics and storyline is epic. When I played HL2, I remember it gave me a feeling of being in a strange lucid dream that seems real. What a masterpiece of art. I consider Half-Life 2 to be the greatest game of all time (shared with the SNES title; Zelda: A Link to the Past), both personally and objectively. Expand
  65. Dec 14, 2011
    I don't give out many 9's to my games, but Half-Life 2 is more than deserving of it. Right from the start, the game had me hooked, and this is despite the fact that I had never played the original Half-Life before. Valve manages to deliver the perfect blend of story-telling, action, and puzzles in a way that keeps you immersed and interested from start to finish. Even when you're sittingI don't give out many 9's to my games, but Half-Life 2 is more than deserving of it. Right from the start, the game had me hooked, and this is despite the fact that I had never played the original Half-Life before. Valve manages to deliver the perfect blend of story-telling, action, and puzzles in a way that keeps you immersed and interested from start to finish. Even when you're sitting through a bit of dialogue, you're intently listening to the trade of words, eager to learn about the state of your world and what must be done for the betterment of mankind. The voice acting is incredible, the shooting mechanics work well, and the story is phenomenally written. I find myself returning to City 17 regularly, despite the linear gameplay. The only reason I'm hesitant to give this one a 10 is--well--it's not perfect. I mean, it's all there: the voice work, the story, the environments, the immersion. Every little bit of it is absolutely incredible, and yet, I refuse to give it a 10. Maybe it's because I'm a little skeptical to the idea of a "perfect game", or maybe it's got a shortcoming that I've overlooked... In order for it to be perfect it has to have it all, and that includes replay value. The unfortunate thing with such a story-driven game is that once you've played it, you already know what happens, so there isn't much reason to pop the disk in again. Nonetheless though, this will always be one of my favorite games of all time, and if you haven't yet given it a try, I highly suggest that you do. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  66. Dec 21, 2011
    Like its epic predecessor Half Life 1, this is pretty much the same thing but much better. Great characters, excellent story, and more importantly; the way the story is told is superb. Almost 10 / 10.
  67. Jan 5, 2012
    An interesting game, without a doubt. Deserves the title of the best. Once I was very impressed. Graphics, in particular texture, at a height! Surroundings, something between the soviet and european - looks great, for this genre. Acceptable quality model Russian cars are also made to treat with respect to the developers. But the main thing, that creates the environment of the game, it'sAn interesting game, without a doubt. Deserves the title of the best. Once I was very impressed. Graphics, in particular texture, at a height! Surroundings, something between the soviet and european - looks great, for this genre. Acceptable quality model Russian cars are also made to treat with respect to the developers. But the main thing, that creates the environment of the game, it's the music! These beautiful song good convey the mood of the game and add drive. If it were not for the music, the game probably wouldn't have liked it all, as it is now. And here are the episodes disappointed - a feeling that began the pursuit of money, this is not a good result. We Hope, Valve senses and start again make good games, and not the "grey "content for the money. Expand
  68. Sep 19, 2013
    La excelencia hecha juego.Una magistral sensacion de accion y drama que cautivan al jugador desde el principio.Graficamente sublime.Un viaje no lineal donde el jugador resuelve por sus propias deducciones los puzles.Sonido y banda sonora notables.
  69. Apr 6, 2011
    Anybody who doesn't like this game can go die in a hole. This game is the most-beautifully constructed game ever created, and I have played quite a few beautifully constructed games. The atmosphere is amazing the graphics are unbeatable and the developers are thanked every step of the way. The gameplay is even better and the A.I, are exactly what they are meant to be - ArtificialAnybody who doesn't like this game can go die in a hole. This game is the most-beautifully constructed game ever created, and I have played quite a few beautifully constructed games. The atmosphere is amazing the graphics are unbeatable and the developers are thanked every step of the way. The gameplay is even better and the A.I, are exactly what they are meant to be - Artificial Intelligence. They have smarts and know exactly what to do and when you have loaded even the simplest map on the Hammer Editor you know how much work goes into making this. Expand
  70. Aug 1, 2011
    I dont know why this game is so great, everything flows real nice, the shooting parts are amazing, the guns functions perfectly, real intense gameplay, sometimes we got real creep scenes, night scenes.. we can ride a boat, a car.. the Source Engine is trully powerfull and a "cheepy" PC can run this game nicelly!

The context is so great as everythin on the game, got the same level as the

The context is so great as everythin on the game, got the same level as the first game and much more.
  71. Oct 6, 2011
    Even better than the first HL, wow I didn't think it was possible. While it is a shooter, it involves a lot more gameplay types, it allows you to drive through to point A-B with intense action, areas where you need to sneak past, you get to control troops of rebels (and even antlions at one point). And the regular shooting is great, it's also a true sequel meaning it's just a bunch ofEven better than the first HL, wow I didn't think it was possible. While it is a shooter, it involves a lot more gameplay types, it allows you to drive through to point A-B with intense action, areas where you need to sneak past, you get to control troops of rebels (and even antlions at one point). And the regular shooting is great, it's also a true sequel meaning it's just a bunch of higher tech HL. (with the same physics puzzles and similar gameplay) It also has one of the best sci-fi storyline's of the century, including characters, dialog, and of course just story in general. It introduces a new gun that is just OMG, try launching a paint can at something, see how much damage that will cause. Just amazing, like HL1, I really have NOTHING negative to say about it. Expand
  72. Jul 30, 2011
    I find it hard to thinkof how one cannot like this. This is FPS at it's finest, it **** CoD in the face. If you miss out on this, you miss out on everything.
  73. Apr 18, 2011
    Do i need to say more besides that it is the best game of all time?
  74. Oct 30, 2010
    My personal favourite First Person Shooter and probably also the best of all time. It is what FPS game should contain: great plot, amazing graphics, hell lot of tools to use (weapons mostly :D ) and what is the most important thing - amazing game-play. Despite what we could thought when the game was at building stage, we have been given amazing product that miss nothing and aims very highMy personal favourite First Person Shooter and probably also the best of all time. It is what FPS game should contain: great plot, amazing graphics, hell lot of tools to use (weapons mostly :D ) and what is the most important thing - amazing game-play. Despite what we could thought when the game was at building stage, we have been given amazing product that miss nothing and aims very high for whole genre of PC games. You should buy this game - it really out stands 99% of FPS games. This must play of all PC games! Expand
  75. Dec 4, 2010
    Valve must be in my brain, because they know exactly what I want. This game couldn't have been better unless it came with a free hooker.
    If you have played the first Half Life, then you will definitely want to buy to this to carry on the story and find out what happens to Freeman after G-man "hires" him. If you haven't played Half Life before, then you should still play through this at least once. It is an amazing game with an amazing story.
  76. Apr 25, 2011
    Half-Life 2: One of the best games ever made!.. Great Story, nice environments, well done characters, fun weapons(gravity gun)... Overall a Fun game!.. How can anyone not like HL2? ... My only complaint is the enemy AI, which seems a bit 'dumb' at times, because sometimes it seems they want to get shot and don't defend themselves good enough. They should have been a little more sneaky andHalf-Life 2: One of the best games ever made!.. Great Story, nice environments, well done characters, fun weapons(gravity gun)... Overall a Fun game!.. How can anyone not like HL2? ... My only complaint is the enemy AI, which seems a bit 'dumb' at times, because sometimes it seems they want to get shot and don't defend themselves good enough. They should have been a little more sneaky and harder to shoot at. Other than that, HL2 is really a great game!! Expand
  77. Jun 30, 2011
    One of the most exhilarating and baffling experiences I've ever had. For it's time a masterpiece, and it still is. The physics are absolutely great. If anything, you should also buy it for all the excellent free mods available for this game.
  78. May 3, 2012
    There's no such thing as 'The perfect game', but Half Life 2 comes damn close, it excels as a shooter, has some of the most likeable NPC's you'll ever meet in a game and is one of the most immersive games around thanks to the lack of any cut-scenes. There was not a single point in the game where I wasn't having an enjoyable experience and it's graphics still hold their own today. This isThere's no such thing as 'The perfect game', but Half Life 2 comes damn close, it excels as a shooter, has some of the most likeable NPC's you'll ever meet in a game and is one of the most immersive games around thanks to the lack of any cut-scenes. There was not a single point in the game where I wasn't having an enjoyable experience and it's graphics still hold their own today. This is one the few must have games for any true gamer, you really are missing out if you don't play this at least once, and you're robbing yourself of a true masterpiece. Expand
  79. Aug 4, 2011
    Usually, I like to go in-depth with my reviews and my explanations for my opinion. However, in this case, I feel there is no need. Because if you don't like this game...you don't like video games. That is all.
  80. Aug 2, 2011
    A perfect game, possibly one of the best games ever made, great story, amazing game-play, truly a revolution for the FPS genre at its time.
    I think this game is underrated even with a 96 meta-score.
  81. Aug 11, 2011
    Magnificent Graphics, Great (Not Just Good) Storyline, Nice Variety Of Enemies From The Combine To Headcrabs, You Never Know What To Expect. I Was A Little Bit Dissapointed In Ravenholm But I Wouldnt Use That To Judge My Overall Score Because I Am Not A Big Horror Game Fan. Ravenholm Scares The Crap Out Of Me Whenever I Walk Around A Corner, Although Its Pretty Fun To Kill Headcrab ZombiesMagnificent Graphics, Great (Not Just Good) Storyline, Nice Variety Of Enemies From The Combine To Headcrabs, You Never Know What To Expect. I Was A Little Bit Dissapointed In Ravenholm But I Wouldnt Use That To Judge My Overall Score Because I Am Not A Big Horror Game Fan. Ravenholm Scares The Crap Out Of Me Whenever I Walk Around A Corner, Although Its Pretty Fun To Kill Headcrab Zombies With A Giant Saw And A Gravity Gun. When I First Got To Ravenholm, I Wouldnt Go Anywhere Because Of The Intense Music, Which Is Another Reason The Game Is So Great. Good Music To Emphasize The Situation. The Hardest Part Yet Is The Big Hoverboat - Heli fight. I Died About... 19 Times Before I Perfected My Technique. I've Learned That It Is Ok To Die In This Game Alot Because Then You Really Get To Experience How Hard It Is For Gordon To Live His Life. The Heli Fight May Have Been The Hardest So Far, But There Is Much To Come. Expand
  82. Aug 10, 2011
    Problobly one of the best first shooter game i've ever bought it has great gameplay and extreame graphics! From ecaping from city 17 on a air boat, or destroying the citaidel. It is the one of the best game to hit the earths atmosphere!!!
  83. Aug 24, 2011
    this game has an amazing story, amazing atmosphere, amazing gameplay and this is also responsible for some of the greatest machinima videos. overall this is an amazing experience you cannot miss
  84. Nov 1, 2011
    I find it hard to stop saying good things about this game, and then again why would i want to.. It keeps getting better with community encouraged mods sp and mp both helping to expand the already huge HL2 Universe. This game at it's time and arguably still was and is ahead of it's time in so many ways. Fun fun fun oh and did i say? FUN!
  85. Nov 14, 2011
    This game is as good as a game will ever be. Brilliant game-play, beautiful graphics, not the best story ever, but still very good.
    How are you able to combine all those things, and still have a good game Valve?
    Please reveal your secrets. -Huffle.
  86. Nov 16, 2011
    There is a reason this game won so many GOTYs. This a masterpiece. Its the best game of the last decade without a doubt. Bravo Valve. Take your time with EP3/ HL3 to make sure it becomes the best game of the next decade. No pressure.
  87. Nov 18, 2011
    The thing about grading a game like Half-Life 2 is that you have to remember it was released back in 2004. Consequently, some technologies in the Source engine might not have been on the same level as, say, Frostbite 2. That still doesn't stop it from looking absolutely amazing today, complete with lip-sync and NPC animations that don't plunge straight into the uncanny valley...back inThe thing about grading a game like Half-Life 2 is that you have to remember it was released back in 2004. Consequently, some technologies in the Source engine might not have been on the same level as, say, Frostbite 2. That still doesn't stop it from looking absolutely amazing today, complete with lip-sync and NPC animations that don't plunge straight into the uncanny valley...back in 2004. The gameplay and story are also pretty solid, the latter particularly because it never takes away interactivity entirely just to show you an overwrought cutscene. It might lock you in a room, but you can still bunny-hop everywhere if it makes you feel better. On the whole, though, Half-Life 2 is a game that was ahead of its time back then, and honestly, to me, it still is. Expand
  88. Sep 9, 2012
    With awesome story and very nice gameplay, this is definetly one of the best singleplayer games i have ever played. I would recommend it for anyone who haven't played it already.
  89. Jul 28, 2012
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. I played through it once when it first came out, then again a few months ago and it hasn't aged a bit! The physics, the graphics, the story, the ai, the gameplay, and the source community makes this a must have game for ANYONE. not just fps lovers but anyone. go pick up this games, Zombie panic source and Insurgency for just $10 and youThis is one of the best games I have ever played. I played through it once when it first came out, then again a few months ago and it hasn't aged a bit! The physics, the graphics, the story, the ai, the gameplay, and the source community makes this a must have game for ANYONE. not just fps lovers but anyone. go pick up this games, Zombie panic source and Insurgency for just $10 and you will be satisfied for months. Buy this game. right now. you owe it to yourself! Expand
  90. Nov 13, 2013
    The Half-Life series in general is the best set of games I've played ever! Worth whatever amount anybody throws at you, even today it's an amazing game with one of the best story lines ever!
  91. Apr 12, 2014
    What's to say that hasn't been said already? It's a Half-Life game. It's one of the best FPS's with great game effects ever published. If you haven't played this game...well, you're missing out. Even as dated as it is the game is still unbelievably fun to play.
  92. Nov 10, 2011
    Seriously, this is the best game of all time. I cant put it any other way, do you remember when sequels meant somthing new to look forward to? I hardly do, but this was in the golden age of FPS. So play it. Steam is much improved since this was released, so dont listen to the trolls.
  93. Oct 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half-life 2 has great graphics if you play it on an AlienWare, the story is so wonderful.
    You can play it 4 times or much more and can't get bored.
    I really recommend to buy it.
    The end it's just awesome.
    When the tower explode and G-man shows up to the player, then the game ends.
  94. Oct 30, 2011
    The best game ever made. The storytelling, gameplay, characters, action and soundtrack are all top notch. However, the awful teammate AI(They don't give you any space, constantly remind you to reload, and yell "Take cover!" and then get shot) and lackluster ending mean I can't give Half-Life 2 a perfect score.
  95. Oct 12, 2011
    This game is beast!!!!!. hurry up episode 3....................................................................................................................................
  96. Apr 5, 2011
    Very good work of suspense and terror, some pretty good graphics and a stunning physical (one of the best I've seen so far, and it's been 6 years).
    The visual effects are simple but effective and the story is impressive and full of adrenaline.
    The movements of the characters left me stunned, but I liked AI is pretty bad. The phases are not abundant (13 chapters approx.) but are very long.
    The movements of the characters left me stunned, but I liked AI is pretty bad.
    The phases are not abundant (13 chapters approx.) but are very long.
    Of course, guns are not abundant and there is nothing to be very effective.
    In short, one of the best FPS games I've seen in my life, but you will be under 1 point for the (very) bad IA.
  97. MarkO.
    Nov 23, 2004
    BEST PC GAME EVER.
  98. Jan 8, 2012
    This is the best game ever made - nothing has ever ever come close in terms of immersion, AI, shooting, first person story telling, and practically everything else. Every aspect of this game is perfect and if you haven't played this yet - you haven't yet experienced a perfect game.
    HL3 - please?
  99. Mar 29, 2014
    As this game has won over 50 awards, me personally having 1700+ hours on it, winning Game of the Year 2004 AND Game of the Decade... (By IGN) This game truly is amazing. From the story to the characters to the gravity gun, this game cannot get boring despite coming out in 2004. As Half-Life 2 is at max settings, you can easily compare this game to any of today's titles, and still think itAs this game has won over 50 awards, me personally having 1700+ hours on it, winning Game of the Year 2004 AND Game of the Decade... (By IGN) This game truly is amazing. From the story to the characters to the gravity gun, this game cannot get boring despite coming out in 2004. As Half-Life 2 is at max settings, you can easily compare this game to any of today's titles, and still think it has great graphics. Expand
  100. Mar 15, 2012