Half-Life 2 PC

9.2

1. JackHander
    Jun 11, 2006
    Maybe this is the best game ever. The story is so nice, like the gameplay too. Great game!
  2. SamJ.
  4. LukeM.
    Jun 2, 2006
  5. eXperionHL2.
    Jun 20, 2006
    I like this game very much, the AI could be better, but so far i just like it so much. and it was a bit annoying with steam, but smart thinking... But Doom 3 has the stuff in .pk4 files, but Half-Life 2 doesn't but the load time is alot faster. This game owns, its even playing in 2006 ! I am happy with that.
  6. PaulB.
    Jun 3, 2006
    This game was amazing. I hear all of the complaints about Steam; I had trouble with it myself until I looked around the forums enough. The physics are excellent, but, unfortunately, there isn't much the physics are used FOR. And I have heard the complaints about loading times; I have a Dell XPS 400, and the loading times do not interrupt the game badly at all, although slower This game was amazing. I hear all of the complaints about Steam; I had trouble with it myself until I looked around the forums enough. The physics are excellent, but, unfortunately, there isn't much the physics are used FOR. And I have heard the complaints about loading times; I have a Dell XPS 400, and the loading times do not interrupt the game badly at all, although slower computers I can understand. The graphics are good, as are the facial expressions. And everyone's problem with a linear game: what's wrong with it? I felt like I was playing in a movie. Also, the fact that one doesn't see oneself in cutscenes is great, because it makes the player seem as he is the character, rather than some random watching entity. True, the Allied AI does indeed suck. You can send your squad elsewhere, whoop-de-do. However, the enemy AI is amazing, on hard mode. There have been several times when I thought I was safe, but not even my trusty crowbar could save me. The enemy AI runs like soldiers, covering eachother while moving and throwing grenades just for the stun effect. Why can't the Allied AI be that great? Actually, there is a good reason. The Allies are just civilians with guns and stuff, they aren't trained soldiers like the Combine. Expand
  7. StevenP.
    Jun 5, 2006
    how can you not give this game a ten? great graphics, gameplay, physics, voice overs, enemies, weapons, controlls, etc. half life is the best FPS series ever, and anyone who isnt buying it because of the price should know it is worth every penny!
  8. JohnV.
    Jun 7, 2006
    The game looks pretty nice, plays well, but the story isn't deep at all. there is basically no story, just random missions on a list. Took me 10 minutes to install and play, so im not complaining about that. Weapons were very unoriginal, and AI was very stupid.Game play is Awesome, and Ravenholm rocks more then Doom (at some parts). Not as good as Far Cry or Half life 1, but The game looks pretty nice, plays well, but the story isn't deep at all. there is basically no story, just random missions on a list. Took me 10 minutes to install and play, so im not complaining about that. Weapons were very unoriginal, and AI was very stupid.Game play is Awesome, and Ravenholm rocks more then Doom (at some parts). Not as good as Far Cry or Half life 1, but definitely better then games like CoD2. Expand
  9. LukeM.
    Jul 10, 2006
  10. AnonymousMC
    Jul 21, 2006
    Steam aside (evil software), the actual game itself is insane. The facial details of the opening cutscene blew me away before I even fired a shot. The plot is brilliant and easily a worthy sucessor to HL1. My only concern is that HL3 will need the Pentagon's mainfraim to work.

If your computer is less than 1 year old, play it. If not, buy a new machine (levels can take weeks to load, but they are worth it).
  11. Paul
    Jul 21, 2006
    Not only does it have awesome graphics, and amazing visuals, but it continues to be a very playable game that puts you in many different types of scenarios and not one part of the game feels like a previous part.
  12. ArthurFreda
    Jul 5, 2006
    The graphix are out of this world. The only one ever bad thing is the long ass loading. But all in all the game is the SHIT! I love all the cool things u can do on it. Like along with it u get a sample of counter strike scource with u can play online with tonsof people. But the bottem line is if u like first person scince fiction games this is the one for u!!!
  13. DmitriyS.
    Jul 6, 2006
    Best of the games!!!
  14. AndreasK.
    Jul 7, 2006
    I've finished it tree times and it just doesnt ever get boring! This is the best fps game i hav EVER seen! Though i wish there was a sniper rifle too.
  15. GarrettD.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Holy Crap! Tihs game is great, completley smooth game play with 3.4 GHz Processor and 2 GB RAM. If you have this game I hate you! Episode 1 is just as good!
  16. RodigG.
    Aug 10, 2006
    Very good game. A little bit too short ^^ but very nice =)
  17. TeodorIkonomov
    Aug 22, 2006
    The Best Game Ever
  18. WillF.
    Aug 29, 2006
    Great, fun to play, intresting story line and amazing graphics.
  19. mattbearcroft
    Sep 30, 2006
    its awesome
  20. ChristofferL.
    Oct 12, 2007
    What I like with the game, you can play with the physics in the world. Because of HL2, other thirdpartysoftwares has created awesome games, like Gmod 9 and 10, Sourceforts and much other. This game also includes episode 1 and 2 to extend the games history. And the first time I played HL2 it really looks great when NPCs die. Ravenholm and the Citadel is my favorite part. But still there is What I like with the game, you can play with the physics in the world. Because of HL2, other thirdpartysoftwares has created awesome games, like Gmod 9 and 10, Sourceforts and much other. This game also includes episode 1 and 2 to extend the games history. And the first time I played HL2 it really looks great when NPCs die. Ravenholm and the Citadel is my favorite part. But still there is more of this game that scares me: The ocean. First time I would try to swim over to the end of the map I meet up with carnivorous leeches! I thought that I would hit an invisible wall instead. This is the best game ever made. But still there is many that hates this game because they mean there is more action on CS:S than HL2. I hope there will be a HL2EP3! :D Expand
  21. ChickenHorse
    Oct 24, 2007
    By far the best Sci-fi FPS I have played! Physics are amazing Graphics look amazing and very good story line!
  22. AndreasH.
    Oct 4, 2007
    bought orange box (first time of getting half life 2) about a fortnight ago and have to say even now in 2007 it is still a brillant game. It should still be in games top tens i hope episode 1 and 2 are just as good
  23. JohnnyC.
    Jan 4, 2007
    I think this game is brilliant, but I think HL1 was better. The new driving bits were extremely boring sometimes repetitive. The AI of your followers were quite bad but the enemy AI excelled. The addition of the gravity gun was excellent. It allowed me to do so much more and use my world as a weapon. Great game overall
  24. SHaneH.
    Oct 7, 2007
    HL2 3 years after purchasing still takes all for Fps Story and Fps Multiplayer mainly due to a rediculously high replay value!!! Bar None one of the best games of all time!!!!! Insaine Innovation Valve KEEP IT UP !!!!!!
  25. JeffC.
    Oct 7, 2007
    As with the original half-life, a giant leap forward, creating the benchmark against all contemporary games must measure themsleves. All praise to the team. Anxiously awaiting the mext chapter.
  26. AravindaP.
    Oct 8, 2007
    The best game I've ever seen! VALVE has done the best job ever to make this game come to life. The scripting is revolutionary. If only other games were like this...
  27. DenisN.
    Oct 9, 2007
    This is a greate game with super graphics and very interesting story line!!! Keep it up !!! Hope Episode Two would be as good as Half-lefe 2 or even better!!!
  28. LukeM.
    Feb 16, 2007
  29. AnonymousMC
    Mar 22, 2007
    Para my el hl2 es el mejor juego kon grafica espectacular asta es mejor kel finalfantasi XIII , es 100 veces mejor pok tiene muxa acion violencia etc... y Lord C es un pelele k no tiene ni idea de juegos del siglo 21. Si kereis mas in formacion my steam is COPEGI .
  30. R.Rodriguez
    Mar 22, 2007
    I wasn't disappointed playing this game. I used the easy level on the first go around and still it was difficult. Having the girl show up after I had gone through hell to finish a level and in the end was the biggest irritant. I did feel the game was a too short.
  31. PutinVladimir
    May 6, 2007
    COOL!!!
  32. AnonymousMC
    Jun 8, 2007
    Another paradigm shifting game under Valve's belt. The characters are very colorful compared to your typically boring game personalities. The inclusion of the boat and buggy driving adds some well needed gameplay diversity. The only gripe I have is that aside from the barnicles, vortigons and crabs, we don't see any of our aliens from the first games. Still, a great game!
  33. HughM.
    Jun 9, 2007
    This is the best game I have ever played.
  34. Yanko
    Jul 10, 2007
    I just finished the game, and IMO it's the BEST I've ever played in my life(I played a lot of games through the years!)
  35. FernandoF.
    Jul 24, 2007
    brilliant.
  36. MasonAlbright
    Aug 23, 2007
    Easily the best FPS ever.
  37. JonathanM.
    Aug 6, 2007
    Technical issues due to YOUR slow and erroneous dialup line and issues due to STEAM (read, NOT HALF LIFE 2) should not factor into your rating. Rate the game, not the other factors. --For whoever said they want to see Half-Life with the same graphics, you're in luck. A mod team is working on "Black Mesa" a total conversion mod of HL2 to HL1. Not out yet, but eagerly anticipated.
  38. BatalovB.
    Aug 8, 2007
    Half-Life 2 is the best FPS ever. The physical engine are fabulous and of course the scenario too.
  39. simonKotaleski
    Sep 1, 2007
    The best Sci-Fi thriller ever!
  40. CheteN.
    Sep 20, 2007
    If bioshock took 100 This game deserve at least 200.
  41. AF
    Sep 22, 2007
    This is simply one of the best games ever made. I had to vote just to cancel out Eric H's completely insane ramblings below.
  42. LukeM.
    Nov 10, 2008
  43. NunoP.
    Oct 10, 2008
    Very very deep gameplay, awesome plot, incredible situations (like the bridge level with awesome envirnoment)... Simply the best game i have ever played hands down. Congratulations Valve.
  44. AdrienV.
    Jan 10, 2008
    Best FPS to date. I've played many FPS's and not many games have as good graphics, physics, AI, fun, level design, story, character development, ect. as Half-life 2, and absolutely NONE have all of these together as well as Half-life 2.
  45. Bobbobbo
    Jan 20, 2008
  46. NicholasL
    Jan 29, 2008
    Half-life 2 is a really good game. The story is really great done and it's full of action. It's a little scary sometimes and you often get frustrated when you get stuck( but not much =P ) I give it a 9
  47. AndreasW.
    Jan 4, 2008
    For sure the best game ever, I played It threw about 13 times and I always found something new. The graphics, the physics, the atmosphere, the charakters, the gameplay, the music and the storie fit perfectly together. That's why I bought the collectors eddtion of the game and show it prowdly to friends (Every where its sold out for ever) because I think people will still remember For sure the best game ever, I played It threw about 13 times and I always found something new. The graphics, the physics, the atmosphere, the charakters, the gameplay, the music and the storie fit perfectly together. That's why I bought the collectors eddtion of the game and show it prowdly to friends (Every where its sold out for ever) because I think people will still remember this game in jears. !!!! It's not just a game, it's HALF LIFE 2 !!!! Expand
  48. MicahB.
    Feb 14, 2008
    This game was a riveting expansion of its predecessor. It brought all the engaging elements of the original and multiplied there enjoyment exponentially.
  49. bionicmexican5.0
    Feb 19, 2008
    the best game i have ever played the physics are way better than anyother game (throwing TV's at the combine) and the story is so intriguiging i still play this game even after a year......the first level point insertion was what hooked me......when i was runnin from the combine after i threw a TV out of a window it was just so intense and the people that help you along the way the best game i have ever played the physics are way better than anyother game (throwing TV's at the combine) and the story is so intriguiging i still play this game even after a year......the first level point insertion was what hooked me......when i was runnin from the combine after i threw a TV out of a window it was just so intense and the people that help you along the way seemed so real i wanted to help them barricade the door but my adrenaline was pumping big time and i just kept running............i love when u drive to black mesa east that is the best part of the game.......driving long distances fighting battles here and there just gave a sense of realism that i was THE LAST HOPE....before i picked up HL2 i was desperate for a single player FPS i got tired of playing CS CSS CSCZ HL2DM and just MP games in general...i wanted an FPS with a gripping storyline, and i wanted to feel like i was the player i controlled not just another player........when i picked up HL2 it satisfied my FPS craving and exceeded my expectations of a Single Player FPS by such a high degree i was like.....this is The Best Single Player game of all time.......and still today i play the game.......i love the puzzles and how they use the physics to solve them...they are so well put together i had a small degree of trouble but im pretty good at solving puzzles and when i figured out i had to take advantage of the physics ( like putting barrels under a cage so i would float up and cause the cage to lift above the water so the ramp would be at an angle so i could drive my airboat up and over a wall on the water hazard level) this added a new dimension to puzzle solving never before seen in anyother game i have ever played...............all in all I LOVE THIS GAME Expand
  50. LukeM.
    Feb 6, 2008
  51. Bobbobbo
    Mar 1, 2008
  52. MichaelC.
    Mar 30, 2008
    By far, the best game ever! An epic adventure. Unmatched game play and graphics. You really feel like you're part of the story. The game physics blow me away. You can play this game over and over. I've played it 4 times and will definitely play it again. Yes, it's that cool.
  53. AnonymousMC
    Apr 6, 2008
    By far one of the best games on the market, the beautiful graphics are backed up by one of the most engaging story lines, and an amazing physics engine, make this a required play. The use of Zombies in the game is also great, they spring out at you from the most unexpected places. This game has few faults, one of those is that they can't get the new episodes out fast enough, anotherBy far one of the best games on the market, the beautiful graphics are backed up by one of the most engaging story lines, and an amazing physics engine, make this a required play. The use of Zombies in the game is also great, they spring out at you from the most unexpected places. This game has few faults, one of those is that they can't get the new episodes out fast enough, another is the bad team system, but that is negligible.

In short, if they like FPSs, or even if you don't, get this game.
  54. BenE.
    Apr 7, 2008
    This is one game series which i play over and over again, Defo must have.
  55. ErvinK
    Apr 8, 2008
    Great game, takes the story telling of all games to a new level.
  56. Bobbobbo
    May 3, 2008
  57. DevinFore
    Jun 1, 2008
    This game has the best graphics, a huge improvment from the 1st half life, i hope they make a 3rd half life, for pc =)
  58. DevonS.
    Jul 19, 2008
    This game is one of the very elite, very few single-player games with a steady storyline and linear aspect (not to be confused with sandbox games) that I have played through more than once.
  59. JohnR..
    Jul 20, 2008
    Haven't even gone too deep into the game yet, but I can already see that it lives up to it's predecessor's awesome existence.
  60. jeremyf.
    Jul 8, 2008
    The best game ever. Amazing story and general game play. The multi player is great. The best graphics yet! Oh did i say amazing story, cuz it really is great. This game also has some of the coolist mods ever such as Dystopia. Just plain amazing. 10 is not high enuff.
  61. TelmoC.
    Jul 8, 2008
    The best game in the world.
  62. JoachimE
    Mar 13, 2009
    This is one of the best games ever made.
  63. AlexW
    May 31, 2009
    Although visuals are wonderful, gameplay feels unrealistic. I know it did a lot to revolutionize FPS's, but somehow the engine doesn't feel right. It works for TF2, just not this game. Also, AI is rediculous and moves unrealistically. Instead of crouching behing cover and firing, they walk back and forth, which nobody would do in a real fight.
  64. FernandoF.
    Sep 8, 2009
    brilliant.
  65. AllanD
    Jan 17, 2010
    A game that keeps you glued to the screen finding ways to complete your task as well as killing.. Cool game.. Always enjoyed it and still do now in 2010!!
  66. JoeC
    Jan 23, 2010
    Do not trust dsgv edvadt's comment as it lacks both truth and proper spelling. Instead believe that this game has an incredibly immersive plot, a wide range of graphics settings and excellent first-person gameplay.
  67. LukeM.
    Feb 1, 2010
  68. JakubM.
    Mar 13, 2010
    Next to Halo, probably one of the best games and game series of all time. Yes, it does lack the multiplayer and every single vehicle isn't at your disposal, like halo, but if you are looking to buy this game, buy it. The AI is amazing, and the digital actors have won many awards, from their in-game expressions and pin-point accurate lip syncing. This game is also on the 2nd game of Next to Halo, probably one of the best games and game series of all time. Yes, it does lack the multiplayer and every single vehicle isn't at your disposal, like halo, but if you are looking to buy this game, buy it. The AI is amazing, and the digital actors have won many awards, from their in-game expressions and pin-point accurate lip syncing. This game is also on the 2nd game of all time, i belive, and is the best selling action game franchise of all time. The Half-Life saga also has more, with in my view, even better games Episode 1 and Episode 2, both for the low prices of $20 (now probably even at discount prices). BUY IT! Expand
  69. ElrikJ.
    Apr 12, 2010
    This game is one of the most revolutionary games out there. It combines fear action and a brilliant story to boot. this game deserves a 10 due to its spectaculare play style and feel. You get sucked into the character of gordern freeman and start to see this universe as a real awsome place. This game is superb and i suggest it to anyone wanting a Epicly brilliant pc game to play.
  70. tonik
    Apr 18, 2010
    The best SP game ive ever played along with MAFIA, the world that is created, with the physics and graphics the best in the world (i play it with CM 10.30), you feel like in a movie like World of war, such an intense atmosphere and very different styles of levels.
  71. LukeM.
    Apr 19, 2010
  72. FilippoS
    Apr 4, 2010
    An absolute masterpiece, everything about this game has been perfected in some way, the physics, the lighting, the story, the game-play and most of all the sheer amount of fun you get from this amazing experience. A game truly worthy of a 10 and equally as good and fresh as its predecessor.
  73. Nicholas
    Apr 4, 2010
    The single greatest game of all time (stfu MW 2 fanboys, it's a great game but hardly the best ever) I must disagree with the person calling themselves Uber Gamer 101 because the HL2 single player is OVER 10 HOURS! so are you trying to tell me that you got the game, installed it and played non-stop for 14 hours? This game surpassed another big game of the time *cough* DooM 3 *cough* The single greatest game of all time (stfu MW 2 fanboys, it's a great game but hardly the best ever) I must disagree with the person calling themselves Uber Gamer 101 because the HL2 single player is OVER 10 HOURS! so are you trying to tell me that you got the game, installed it and played non-stop for 14 hours? This game surpassed another big game of the time *cough* DooM 3 *cough* and, unlike said game was more then a remake of a game before it. Graphics:10 (for the time) Gameplay:11 Mods:9 Replayability:8 Overall:10 (why does this rating system only go to ten?) What I would have put as the overall:11 Expand
  74. PyryJ.
    Apr 9, 2010
    Liked the game. Looking at the other comments and ratings I could say that there is too many people rating it 10 and too many people just trolling amongst them. The AI is bad, levels are intresting but linear(but I didnt expect anything else from a FPS), the story is good, the graphics are good for the time (go to hell grapics whores!), and the game play was fun for most of the time.
  75. BitBurn
    Nov 18, 2004
    Installation was brutal. Had to restart like 5 times because one of the file wouldn
  76. ChrisD.
    Nov 18, 2004
    Best Game Ever, this game has had so much effort put into it. But then again, it has been 5 years in the making. I think this beat the crap out of halo 2 which is a boring FPS that has no skill to it. Best game EVER and will stand the test of time.
  77. BlakeT.
    Nov 20, 2004
    Unbelievable!
  78. DavidC.
    Dec 13, 2004
    Best first person shooter since.. well, since Half-Life. Not my favourite genre, but I am absolutely _loving_ this. The most visceral experience I've ever had from a PC game.
  79. X.X.
    Dec 6, 2004
    This is the best game ever made. and the people who gave it a five just didnt have the machine to run it properly or just doom fan boys.
  80. BobB.
    Dec 6, 2004
    It's hard to believe Valve managed to pull such an honorable follow-up to the number 1 FPS ever made. Outstanding! However, I thought it was a little short. Or was I that absorbed into the action that time went that fast?! ;-)
  81. JohnB.
    Dec 7, 2004
    Sorry Zaminiski, but I rate games on how fun they are to play, not on what someone who's a bit too earnest in their dislike of the game and who throws in a Far Cry advert tells me. Half-Life 2 is a truly fun experience. Simple as that. Nitpick all you want (Crates and scripted events? Outrage!), it's executed extremely well with lots of polish, the graphics are superb, the Sorry Zaminiski, but I rate games on how fun they are to play, not on what someone who's a bit too earnest in their dislike of the game and who throws in a Far Cry advert tells me. Half-Life 2 is a truly fun experience. Simple as that. Nitpick all you want (Crates and scripted events? Outrage!), it's executed extremely well with lots of polish, the graphics are superb, the combat is extremely good, and it is remarkably immersive. I can't wait to play it again. Expand
  82. AnthonyS.
    Oct 27, 2004
    Best game ever made. Period. This game, its gameplay, graphics, storyline, and creativity are simply and utterly flawless. It is undeniably the first game in history to ever surpass all expectations of a video game. Add to that the amazing multiplayer capabilities that the game is open to, and we have ourselves a winner.
  83. Krillan
    Oct 27, 2004
    Fantastic!!!
  84. DivineMethod
    Dec 9, 2004
    The source engine and the graphics have a lot going for it, but when it comes down to creativity this game falls short. 10 for graphics 10 for the feel of the game 9 for the sound 8 for the fun level 5 story/ script.
  85. Cheese
    Jan 11, 2005
    HL2 is the best pc game to date.... it eats up DOOM 3 and there is just so much to do in the game... if u have a pc.. u should have this game.
  86. GregW.
    Nov 3, 2005
    Awesome game. Builds on the original in terms of rivalling movies and books in character depth, a story that can enthrall you if you take the time to actually listen to what the AI says (Looking at you Ian F). Why a 9 and not a 10? Linear, although that seems to be par for the course in terms of FPS's (excluding Far Cry), and steam, which although it proved no problem to me, was a Awesome game. Builds on the original in terms of rivalling movies and books in character depth, a story that can enthrall you if you take the time to actually listen to what the AI says (Looking at you Ian F). Why a 9 and not a 10? Linear, although that seems to be par for the course in terms of FPS's (excluding Far Cry), and steam, which although it proved no problem to me, was a pain in the rear for a dial up friend of mine. Expand
  87. AndrewB.
    Dec 1, 2005
    Arguably the single most immersive game ever made. The story line was a fabulous continuation of the original and the game managed to use its spectacular physics engine without becoming overly gimmicky. In an article by PC Gamer it was stated that EA was trying to make the citizen cane of gaming, but considering this game i think you need look no further than valve. My one beef with this Arguably the single most immersive game ever made. The story line was a fabulous continuation of the original and the game managed to use its spectacular physics engine without becoming overly gimmicky. In an article by PC Gamer it was stated that EA was trying to make the citizen cane of gaming, but considering this game i think you need look no further than valve. My one beef with this game is that the ending was a complete dissapointment, total cliff hanger. Expand
  88. GregA.
    Jan 24, 2005
    HL2 is a great game so I'll get the little annoyances out the road now. Having to go online each time is a pain, fortunately I now have broadband but could not imagine how annoying it would have to be to be on dial up. But the pirates are the only ones to blame...so blame them! Secondly I have a pretty good PC @ 2.1 Ghz, 512 RAM and a Radeon 9600XT...something I would call "middle HL2 is a great game so I'll get the little annoyances out the road now. Having to go online each time is a pain, fortunately I now have broadband but could not imagine how annoying it would have to be to be on dial up. But the pirates are the only ones to blame...so blame them! Secondly I have a pretty good PC @ 2.1 Ghz, 512 RAM and a Radeon 9600XT...something I would call "middle ground" and yet it took ages to load and save that it did take the fun out of the moment. I'll also say that I played it on the hardest setting yet there were very few occasions when I had to scavenge for ammo or health, there always seemed to be enough if you were prepared to look for it. Yes the game is linear but its a story and I can't imagine how (or why) you would want to play it with full freedom, it would just take too long. There is one scene where you need to find two batteries in order to open a barricade. As a test I used the gravity gun to eject a battery over the cliff face - I turned around and saw another battery fall out of thin air back to its original spot...so bascially you can't just do anything you want otherwise the game wouldn't progress. Speaking of which, the gravity gun was an ingenious inclusion in the game, it just made yet another FPS a lot more interesting. Moving tables about to shield yourself, or throwing petrol drums at guards was pretty cool in my books. Not as great as the original but it was a solid game with lovely gameplay and worth every cent. Expand
  89. KDog
    Jan 5, 2005
    This game is nothing short of incredible. Graphics and Physics are asounding. In terms of comparing it to Farcry, I'd say they're pretty close. HL does water manipulation far better. The only thing that ticks me off is Steam - the software required to run HL2. That program is a pain in the butt, and not having a high speed connection meant I had to spend four hours downloading This game is nothing short of incredible. Graphics and Physics are asounding. In terms of comparing it to Farcry, I'd say they're pretty close. HL does water manipulation far better. The only thing that ticks me off is Steam - the software required to run HL2. That program is a pain in the butt, and not having a high speed connection meant I had to spend four hours downloading Steam updates and Ads before I was allowed to touch the real game. Now, I recognize why it was done, Valve was POed that their code got stolen by hackers in mid production a year and a half ago, and they had to delay for more than a year to rewrite it. But this is taking it a bit too far. I really hope games don't begin to adopt a system of gameplay like Steam, or I won't be buying too many more games in the future. I knew about Steam before I bought it, and the only reason I actually did buy was because it was Half Life 2. Anything else I would have seriously reconsidered. Overall: Game is incredible, Steam stinks. Expand
  90. K-van
    Feb 17, 2005
    A great technical achievement. But you've all heard the good, so here's the bad: Unfortunately HL2 lacks the challenge presented by its predecessor. Health power ups were available at every turn, which eliminated the need for any serious kind of FPS tactics (even on hard)...simply run, gun, and heal yourself. Ammo was extremely plentiful as well. This was a shame since limiting A great technical achievement. But you've all heard the good, so here's the bad: Unfortunately HL2 lacks the challenge presented by its predecessor. Health power ups were available at every turn, which eliminated the need for any serious kind of FPS tactics (even on hard)...simply run, gun, and heal yourself. Ammo was extremely plentiful as well. This was a shame since limiting the ammo would have forced players to use the gravity gun more. Instead the grav gun felt more like a gimmic. The vehicles were cool for the most part, however the airship level was too long. It's hard for me to say this but I was actually bored at that point. Overall HL2 is a game of amazing moments strung together by mediocre ones. Expand
  91. AB
    Feb 1, 2005
    To describe how amazing this game is would be as hard as letting go of it. The graphics are incredible, the sound is perfect, and (most importantly) the gameplay is superb. Plus, you can use a gravity gun to throw babies at people. It doesn't get much better than this. Oh, wait a minute. Yes, it does. You can also make cars fall on enemies. And when the mods come out it may get EVEN To describe how amazing this game is would be as hard as letting go of it. The graphics are incredible, the sound is perfect, and (most importantly) the gameplay is superb. Plus, you can use a gravity gun to throw babies at people. It doesn't get much better than this. Oh, wait a minute. Yes, it does. You can also make cars fall on enemies. And when the mods come out it may get EVEN better (if that's possible). Expand
  92. WilliamR.
    Feb 3, 2005
    Rarely does a mega-hyped game live up to it's hype. Half-Life 2 was perhaps the most hyped game of all time. And if anything, it exceded the hype, and indeed all expectations.
  93. MikeL.
    Feb 6, 2005
    The only reason I don't rate it a 10 is that I don't know what the "perfect" game is. This is an awesome game that thrusts you into another world. The realism is uncanny. I turn off all the lights in the "computer room" and slip into Gordon Freeman's body. What a rush! Those galloping ghouls that debut in Ravenholm will freak you out! The situations that you find yourself The only reason I don't rate it a 10 is that I don't know what the "perfect" game is. This is an awesome game that thrusts you into another world. The realism is uncanny. I turn off all the lights in the "computer room" and slip into Gordon Freeman's body. What a rush! Those galloping ghouls that debut in Ravenholm will freak you out! The situations that you find yourself in often require you to stop, take stock of your surroundings, and figure out how to think your way out of the dilemma. I wish I could erase my memory and play it anew over and over again. Expand
  94. Giovanni
    Mar 23, 2005
    Its a great game but too overhyped, there are better games in terms of gameplay that still offer scripted storyline like far cry. The use of physics is a great addition and the graphics are fantastic, the AI is not so good. Overall a great game worth playing and buying but not as perfect as the reviewers say.
  95. KevB.
    Apr 7, 2005
    BEST GAME EVER! game of the year X ten! it is soo good! the final boss rocked big time! the weapons are all so cool!
  96. DavidG.
    May 4, 2005
    Uses multi-sensory techniques to immerse you in a virtual world. Audio in particular is awesome. Maybe not a real challenge compared to some killer FPS, but probably better at RPG simulation for those who like living in an alternate reality--though it is linear, so don't expect to create your own story. Another little annoyance is the game's broken into relatively small bits Uses multi-sensory techniques to immerse you in a virtual world. Audio in particular is awesome. Maybe not a real challenge compared to some killer FPS, but probably better at RPG simulation for those who like living in an alternate reality--though it is linear, so don't expect to create your own story. Another little annoyance is the game's broken into relatively small bits with load times between them. With no cut scenes to chew on, waiting a few seconds for loads is a shruggable offense. As for peeps other complaints: I use DSL to connect to the Internet and haven't had any problems so far with Steam, I loaded the game from DVD in about ten minutes, and I haven't seen any real bugs or evidence of bad programming. Expand
  97. MichaelV.
    Jun 10, 2005
    Hideto M. your just being negative! but seriously this is a great game and it deserves its praise. Just because everyone says this game is great doesnt make us all conformist a$$holes maybe it just means this is a great game. The first game was not over rated and did deserve its praise. Thanks to Half-Life we are not playing mindless corridor shooters. Go ahead and say we are mindless and Hideto M. your just being negative! but seriously this is a great game and it deserves its praise. Just because everyone says this game is great doesnt make us all conformist a$$holes maybe it just means this is a great game. The first game was not over rated and did deserve its praise. Thanks to Half-Life we are not playing mindless corridor shooters. Go ahead and say we are mindless and have no opinions but i have more people to back me up that this is a great game than you do. Expand
  98. Lars
    Jul 22, 2005
    Adam is a *****. "Yes, i was blown away by the game, but i give it a Zero because i don't like steam." I think youre supposed to rate the game, not the installation process.
  99. GiancarloB.
    Sep 26, 2005
    game is the best. o ya and mr Sean War who said "gave it a0: Really repetitive, nothing changes, doesnt come close to doom 3 when it comes to graghics" doom 3 was the worst game ever it was just simply tarible. lacked a story ulike this one. unlike any other sequal to a game this one just blows ur mind away. game is great. the AI is great and the story contines to amaze me.
  100. MadsH.
    Oct 11, 2006
    This is the best singleplayer fps-shoot up, I've ever played no doubt to that! Keep em comming.. should I say 'Half life 3' ?

3. Playboy