9.2

1. Nov 26, 2010
    Alright, i am responding to most of the negative reviewers out there. i have read them. Half of them are about steam. in 2004. These days, steam has improved and is now usable, along with a built in social network. Dont blame the installation. Blame the game. Now i agree... The graphics are aged a bit... but, you dont complain about a fine wine being aged, do you? Now you know thatAlright, i am responding to most of the negative reviewers out there. i have read them. Half of them are about steam. in 2004. These days, steam has improved and is now usable, along with a built in social network. Dont blame the installation. Blame the game. Now i agree... The graphics are aged a bit... but, you dont complain about a fine wine being aged, do you? Now you know that the game works on middle-high range computers. Being overrated and overadverstised...i dont see any commercials for it, or for when it came out. WoW? Yes, i most certainly did. Physics, no bullet penetration...thats real life...items that fall to the ground depending on weight and gravity...thats real life too! You cant say that about most other modern games. Also, these days, modern games are shipped out in a few generic catagories; Warfare(MW2,Bad Company,Black Ops) WWII(CoD, RUSE)Sci-Fi(Starcraft, Star Wars),Attemped survival horror(Doom3)And Low Budget(Big Rigs OTRR). Half life is a step above because of its individualism. it also has elements from some of those catagories. Its a shooter with warfare scifi elements. Also, FEAR was good, but Far Cry was a peice of Sh*t, and Half Life is the only game ive played that doesnt feel the same as every other game ive played. Expand
  2. Apr 27, 2011
    This is the only game that i can play again and again without getting bored. It has it all: great gameplay, great story, very well-shaped characters and dialogue and an epic soundtrack. Playing this game really puts you in a specific state of mind. Long live Gordon Freeman and his trusty crowbar!
  3. BMF
    Apr 7, 2011
    If only all single player shooters could be this great. HL2 is the shining gold example of storytelling and game play all fused into the perfect package.
  4. Feb 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The BEST Game Ever made.... Agree ? I hope that everyone agree. ............................................................................................................................................................................................................... Expand
  5. Jun 16, 2011
    This game is a must have it gives a combination of puzzle and shooter. the puzzles are generally physic based and let those who are nerdiest of all shine. while the shooting is great but unfortunately slow to start. but once your well into the game you'll have loads of fun shooting and puzzling through a great story line. this is easily a 10 no question.
  6. Jun 28, 2011
    Gordon Freeman is THE legend. Half-Life two isTHE revolution. The original Half-Life is the game that brought fame and attention to first person shooter, and has gotten this game genre the hype it deserves. Half-Life 2 defines how first person shooter should develope. Simply put, Half-Life changed it all.
  7. Dec 26, 2010
    Half-Life 2 is so much more than a game, because you end up forgetting it's a game. You just keep playing it again and again starving for some more. HL2 is not just about mindless shooting and killing... VALVe offers you one of the most diverse gameplay: each chapter has its own mechanics and new weapons, real NEW weapons: they're not just more powerful, they're really different (as theHalf-Life 2 is so much more than a game, because you end up forgetting it's a game. You just keep playing it again and again starving for some more. HL2 is not just about mindless shooting and killing... VALVe offers you one of the most diverse gameplay: each chapter has its own mechanics and new weapons, real NEW weapons: they're not just more powerful, they're really different (as the gravity gun). The story is great and very immersing: you know who you are, what you must do and why you do it... It isn't like: "Hey! that's the story! keep doing whatever you were doing! (mindless killing in most cases)". The AI isn't great, that's agreed, but it's somehow acceptable because it's not at the center of the game. The graphics are getting old too but it's very well done (I still play the first Half-Life: it doesn't matter) and the physics are still great, actually it's really the only game where you have a real interactivity with the physics. Expand
  8. Apr 15, 2011
    I just replayed Half-Life 2 again about a month ago. Even in 2011, seven years after its initial release, I am still reminded why Half-Life 2 is one of the greatest first-person shooters of all time. Not the greatest, but definitely one of them.

I think the greatest strength in Half-Life 2 (gameplay-wise) is the level design. Over the course of I believe 14 levels, you see an incredible variation in locale, level structure, lighting, and gameplay. This is complimented by such a flux in mood, intensity, and immersion that you can't help but to just be enthralled by it.

For instance, the entire first 3 chapters of the game is a slow build-up to an intense climax. You start as a fugitive, running across the rooftops of City 17 to escape the Combine Overwatch. You are allowed to take a short, 10-minute breather in a safe-haven, then thrust back into the bowels of the city's sewer system, and finally driving your own airboat through the canals. It's such a gradual build you hardly notice it, until you reach the end of the climax, discover you've been holding your breath for the past 30 seconds, and that you've been maintaining a white-knuckled grip on your mouse this whole time. And that's the first 3 chapters.

After this you are treated to some incredibly creepy locations, and some more intense escapes/shootouts. All the atmosphere is enhanced with some pretty incredible performances both animation- and voice-acting-wise, even if you consider that this is 2011.

And wow, the voice acting. These are some of the most incredible video game characters to this date. Immensely believable, highly emotional, subtly expressive, the characters help suck you right into the story and world that Valve created, and you could almost be fooled into thinking they are actually talking to you...

Oh and that reminds me, the story. Okay, so it's not laid out for you word-for-word what's going on, or what relevance all these characters have in terms of the story from the instance you set foot into the game. I have read a lot of reviews and seen a lot of complaints. Yes, Valve did not flesh it out in its entirety in the first chapter. No, you pretty much don't have a clue what kind of influence the combine and the G-Man are right from the word go. But to be honest, I don't care. When it comes to story-telling, I personally enjoy the opportunity to discover the story for myself, and not just have it told to me if I were a five-year-old. There are some pretty subtle hints laying around concerning backstory, main storyline, and intertwining character plots. If you look for them, you'll find that this is actually some interesting sci-fi, more driven by characters (which it should be) than by what's necessary to pluck a plot twist out of your ass. So overall, the story ended up being a plus in my opinion.

Other than that, the graphics are still good, though a bit dated, physics are awesome, and the gravity gun continues to be the best weapon in the history of gaming, Go Valve! Now I just can't wait until my Portal 2 pre-load finishes...
  9. May 3, 2012
    A standard by which all FPS games should be compared and/or measured against in today's modern world. Truly the best overall game that has ever existed by a great company named 'ValvE and a multi-platform game which still shows beyond-oustanding PC support to it's most faithful audience and/or customers. This is simply better than CoD, Halo or any series for that matter, genre - RPG, FPS,A standard by which all FPS games should be compared and/or measured against in today's modern world. Truly the best overall game that has ever existed by a great company named 'ValvE and a multi-platform game which still shows beyond-oustanding PC support to it's most faithful audience and/or customers. This is simply better than CoD, Halo or any series for that matter, genre - RPG, FPS, RTS, MMORPG, etc... the list goes on. Simply put, an engaging story, amazing physics and challeging and innovative gameplay and puzzles as well as deep character development and excellent level design. Get this and any title made by Valve, The Orange Box e.g. has this game and a few others and is easily the best gaming bundle deal of the century because of one reason - it has this game and the fact that you won't find a better game than this, I can assure you and anyone who reviews this with a 0 or something like that because of Steam. Steam has greatly changed and improved over the years has no idea of what they're talking about and should go and play CoD and then start talking as it'll change their mind and they will see, just how perfect this game is, just how much it has achieved - awards, game design, technology improvements and innovation as well as being a pure, landmark title that noticeably and simultaneously remarkably stands out from today's games where campaign's last only about 6 hours or less (compared to Half Life 2's length of approximately 25 hours or more) and do not care about their fans or the fact that the game is complete garbage and continue not to fix or upgrade it. Having said all this... there's still not enough to be said or praised about this title, what it represents, how much it has made known gaming as an activity/hobby, achieved - i.e. (that is) famous, just how good it is and how it deserves to be played by anyone who is interested in anything or any certain type of game as this game is simply put, as the best game that has ever come out and existed and will contine to be so for centuries to come, having its name yelled out and its legacy and origin living on (no pun intended). My PC friends, you will find no better game than this and me constructing long sentences for this game review is completely justified when you understand how good this game is and when you have played it - being immersed and absolutely bewildered at just how good this game is - if I haven't said it enough ALREADY - THIS game is good, more than good, in fact if I could rate it 20/10 I would do so but that would lead to an improper fraction and also metacritic doesn't let me :(

Overall, that is all. BUY NOW as YOU WON'T REGRET IT, if I haven't convinced you enough - look at the all other positive reviews and take these facts for one: highest metacritic scoring game - EVER, most awards and impressive achievement shown and won by a game, biggest PC community - mods and support and made from ValvE - the people who implemented Steam - a download client program for PC (like XBox Live for Windows) and made many Source game-engine based games that were successful and have been continuing to make blockbuster sequels since then including continuing and expanding this 'Half-Life' game into a series and they are known for much, much more other stuff and being the most awesome people on the planet that make games for gamers by gamers as they say, a great development team and/or publisher of their own games and/or work, need I say more about this game or ValvE... ?!
  10. Nov 10, 2011
    Seriously, this is the best game of all time. I cant put it any other way, do you remember when sequels meant somthing new to look forward to? I hardly do, but this was in the golden age of FPS. So play it. Steam is much improved since this was released, so dont listen to the trolls.
  11. Apr 18, 2011
    Do i need to say more besides that it is the best game of all time?
  12. Mar 30, 2011
    This game has the perfect combination of fast fun action and shooting and deep and involving plot.

It is a great game to pick up for a while or spend half--your-life on it.

Great "acting", great story, great characters, great gameplay, great weapons, great boses, great enviroments. Every aspect of the game has seen a lot of love and atention.

And the bottom line is that is just plain FUN.
  13. Apr 6, 2011
    Anybody who doesn't like this game can go die in a hole. This game is the most-beautifully constructed game ever created, and I have played quite a few beautifully constructed games. The atmosphere is amazing the graphics are unbeatable and the developers are thanked every step of the way. The gameplay is even better and the A.I, are exactly what they are meant to be - ArtificialAnybody who doesn't like this game can go die in a hole. This game is the most-beautifully constructed game ever created, and I have played quite a few beautifully constructed games. The atmosphere is amazing the graphics are unbeatable and the developers are thanked every step of the way. The gameplay is even better and the A.I, are exactly what they are meant to be - Artificial Intelligence. They have smarts and know exactly what to do and when you have loaded even the simplest map on the Hammer Editor you know how much work goes into making this. Expand
  14. Jul 30, 2011
    I find it hard to thinkof how one cannot like this. This is FPS at it's finest, it **** CoD in the face. If you miss out on this, you miss out on everything.
  15. Aug 1, 2011
    Truly the best game of 2004. Graphics are great for the year, sound is great, game play is fun, and the story is terrific. You must have this game for your gaming collection.
  16. Oct 12, 2011
    This game is beast!!!!!. hurry up episode 3....................................................................................................................................
  17. Jun 19, 2011
    I don't give 10 out of 10 lightly. This game deserves it and more. The most impressive thing about it is how it weaves gameplay and story seamlessly. The atmosphere is incredible and the graphics are effective even years later. The controls work perfectly and I cannot honestly remember a single bug that occurred in any of my playthroughs. The episodes that came after only increased howI don't give 10 out of 10 lightly. This game deserves it and more. The most impressive thing about it is how it weaves gameplay and story seamlessly. The atmosphere is incredible and the graphics are effective even years later. The controls work perfectly and I cannot honestly remember a single bug that occurred in any of my playthroughs. The episodes that came after only increased how awesome Half Life 2 is. If you haven't played this game, for the love of all that is good and holy play it as soon as you can! Expand
  18. Jul 3, 2011
    Brilliant game. The most innovative FPS in recent times. It's hard to believe that it's 7 years old now, because even by today's standards it's fantastic - truly ahead of it's time!
  19. Jul 4, 2011
    Half Life 2 arose from the imagination-less wasteland that other shooters tend to came out of. HL2 is how a game should be made. Not many games have this unusual balance of realism with the fiction of most games but this game does it well. You are placed in an Eastern European locale, not very common with games, filled with powerful imagery of propaganda, graffiti, and the feel of anHalf Life 2 arose from the imagination-less wasteland that other shooters tend to came out of. HL2 is how a game should be made. Not many games have this unusual balance of realism with the fiction of most games but this game does it well. You are placed in an Eastern European locale, not very common with games, filled with powerful imagery of propaganda, graffiti, and the feel of an Orwellian fascist state. The characters are also good and a nice change from the uncanny valley-esqe companions of other games. They look and emote like real people and all have their fair share of important and serious lines with some lighter toned comical lines, however they don't show up much. Even the poor unlucky civilian bastards are kind of interesting and you actually feel a bit sad when they die, of course you also feel angry when they can't navigate through a simple hallway. The friendly and enemy AI are both impressive but in combat, they sometimes have their moments. The music is great with its balance of atmospheric dark rhythms and upbeat techno songs. And, get this, it actually has a story! The game sometimes feels dragged on at times ( aka Highway 17 and the gunships ), but the areas with ammo and health do appear in almost every level. Great replayability. Expand
  20. Oct 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half-life 2 has great graphics if you play it on an AlienWare, the story is so wonderful.
    You can play it 4 times or much more and can't get bored.
    I really recommend to buy it.
    The end it's just awesome.
    When the tower explode and G-man shows up to the player, then the game ends.
  21. Jan 19, 2013
    This is the best game i've ever played , it is the perfect style of game , no doubt of it.
    The storyline is amazing (pretty much in all hl games) , this is a 10 no doubt of it , if there was an 11 I'll put it, best game , deal with it.
  22. Aug 1, 2011
    I dont know why this game is so great, everything flows real nice, the shooting parts are amazing, the guns functions perfectly, real intense gameplay, sometimes we got real creep scenes, night scenes.. we can ride a boat, a car.. the Source Engine is trully powerfull and a "cheepy" PC can run this game nicelly!

The context is so great as everythin on the game, got the same level as the

The context is so great as everythin on the game, got the same level as the first game and much more.
  23. Jul 22, 2011
    Words cannot even DESCRIBE, How brilliant and well made this game is. Considerably the best FPS series i've played in my life. Brilliant Game play, Awesome voice acting, A Terrific Story. Trust me. When you buy this game, Your gaming Life will be complete.
  24. Oct 6, 2011
    Even better than the first HL, wow I didn't think it was possible. While it is a shooter, it involves a lot more gameplay types, it allows you to drive through to point A-B with intense action, areas where you need to sneak past, you get to control troops of rebels (and even antlions at one point). And the regular shooting is great, it's also a true sequel meaning it's just a bunch ofEven better than the first HL, wow I didn't think it was possible. While it is a shooter, it involves a lot more gameplay types, it allows you to drive through to point A-B with intense action, areas where you need to sneak past, you get to control troops of rebels (and even antlions at one point). And the regular shooting is great, it's also a true sequel meaning it's just a bunch of higher tech HL. (with the same physics puzzles and similar gameplay) It also has one of the best sci-fi storyline's of the century, including characters, dialog, and of course just story in general. It introduces a new gun that is just OMG, try launching a paint can at something, see how much damage that will cause. Just amazing, like HL1, I really have NOTHING negative to say about it. Expand
  25. Sep 10, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one of my all time game favorites. Started many years ago with Half-Life, which was one of my first games. The game was the kick-off for the Source Engine, that would be used for many other great games. The game provides a new storyline for the Half-Life-series and a total new environment. For the first time wondering around in the outside world (Eastern-Europe?) experiencing the consequences of the events that happened in the Black Mesa laboratories.

The first game ended with the mysterious Gman and this game starts with him, dropping Gordon Freeman off in City 17. Directly meeting the Combine confronts you with the earlier mentioned consequences. The Combine conquered the world after the aliens landed first via the events of the first game. As a survivor of the "Black Mesa-incident" your trying to find out whats going on and what needs to be done. Overall the game has different great atmospheres. The developers used the look of Eastern European buildings from the Cold War as a decor in urban maps, but also has many other rural scenes. (9.0)
  26. Oct 30, 2010
    My personal favourite First Person Shooter and probably also the best of all time. It is what FPS game should contain: great plot, amazing graphics, hell lot of tools to use (weapons mostly :D ) and what is the most important thing - amazing game-play. Despite what we could thought when the game was at building stage, we have been given amazing product that miss nothing and aims very highMy personal favourite First Person Shooter and probably also the best of all time. It is what FPS game should contain: great plot, amazing graphics, hell lot of tools to use (weapons mostly :D ) and what is the most important thing - amazing game-play. Despite what we could thought when the game was at building stage, we have been given amazing product that miss nothing and aims very high for whole genre of PC games. You should buy this game - it really out stands 99% of FPS games. This must play of all PC games! Expand
  27. Dec 4, 2010
    Valve must be in my brain, because they know exactly what I want. This game couldn't have been better unless it came with a free hooker.
    If you have played the first Half Life, then you will definitely want to buy to this to carry on the story and find out what happens to Freeman after G-man "hires" him. If you haven't played Half Life before, then you should still play through this at least once. It is an amazing game with an amazing story.
  28. Apr 25, 2011
    Half-Life 2: One of the best games ever made!.. Great Story, nice environments, well done characters, fun weapons(gravity gun)... Overall a Fun game!.. How can anyone not like HL2? ... My only complaint is the enemy AI, which seems a bit 'dumb' at times, because sometimes it seems they want to get shot and don't defend themselves good enough. They should have been a little more sneaky andHalf-Life 2: One of the best games ever made!.. Great Story, nice environments, well done characters, fun weapons(gravity gun)... Overall a Fun game!.. How can anyone not like HL2? ... My only complaint is the enemy AI, which seems a bit 'dumb' at times, because sometimes it seems they want to get shot and don't defend themselves good enough. They should have been a little more sneaky and harder to shoot at. Other than that, HL2 is really a great game!! Expand
  29. Apr 5, 2011
    Very good work of suspense and terror, some pretty good graphics and a stunning physical (one of the best I've seen so far, and it's been 6 years).
    The visual effects are simple but effective and the story is impressive and full of adrenaline.
    The movements of the characters left me stunned, but I liked AI is pretty bad. The phases are not abundant (13 chapters approx.) but are very long.
    The movements of the characters left me stunned, but I liked AI is pretty bad.
    The phases are not abundant (13 chapters approx.) but are very long.
    Of course, guns are not abundant and there is nothing to be very effective.
    In short, one of the best FPS games I've seen in my life, but you will be under 1 point for the (very) bad IA.
  30. Jun 30, 2011
    One of the most exhilarating and baffling experiences I've ever had. For it's time a masterpiece, and it still is. The physics are absolutely great. If anything, you should also buy it for all the excellent free mods available for this game.
  31. Jul 12, 2011
    This is one of the best linear FPS games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The linear style leaves very little room to get lost, which is something that turns me off of a game immediately, and gets you through the story in a timely manner while still leaving small areas that can be explored at the player's leisure. While the characters may not be especially deep, the voice acting isThis is one of the best linear FPS games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The linear style leaves very little room to get lost, which is something that turns me off of a game immediately, and gets you through the story in a timely manner while still leaving small areas that can be explored at the player's leisure. While the characters may not be especially deep, the voice acting is spot-on and is one of the better examples of good voice acting in the gaming world. If you didn't play through Half-Life, which I strongly suggest you do, you may not understand a few plot points. However, not playing Half-Life does not ruin the experience of playing Half-Life 2. This is a solid game that can be played over and over again and is a prime example of what good games should look like. Expand
  32. IRT
    Oct 13, 2011
    System Specs: GFX: HD6970 CPU: i52500 Audio: X-fi Titanium Game : Half-Life 2................................. Graphics: Very good, for the age of game graphics are well above average................................. Storyline: Very good, kept me interested from start to finish................................. Game-play: Very good, quite a long game and has lots of different scenarios toSystem Specs: GFX: HD6970 CPU: i52500 Audio: X-fi Titanium Game : Half-Life 2................................. Graphics: Very good, for the age of game graphics are well above average................................. Storyline: Very good, kept me interested from start to finish................................. Game-play: Very good, quite a long game and has lots of different scenarios to keep you entertained................................. Difficulty: Normal................................. Sound: Good, re verb sounded great.................................

Half-Life 2 is by all means a superb game and defiantly lives up to it's reputation.
  33. Aug 19, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An amazingly well built sequel for the groundbreaking Half Life, I was very excited and was disappointed that Half Life 2 didn't meet my expectations...... IT COMPLETELY SURPASSED THEM IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE. Valve has made a complete masterpiece with this game. The enemy AI, while not as amazing as Half Life's, is still top notch. The game is very realistic. I was thrown headfirst into this world and I must say that I was completely immersed in it. The graphics are extremely good and the level design is still amazing. The water effects blew me away! The characters have very good lip syncing and extremely life like emotions with great voice acting. Every location, from the urban City 17, to the extremely creepy Ravenholm are designed very well. I think that many might say that Valve spent a long time on it and will complain but I will just say how I think all that time making it shows. If I could make it so, i would give this an 11. Expand
  34. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = Best First Person Shooter of all-time, also one of the most innovative games to date on the grounds of story telling AND technical.
  35. Jul 4, 2011
    This game has set the standard in first person shooters the story line is deep the mechanics are unique and all other FPS fall short to the quality of this game. If you haven't played this game yet mistakes were made, also look out for Episode 3/Half-Life 3 it will be epic with today's Graphics.
  36. Jul 31, 2011
    An enjoyable experience albeit the linear model. The story is vague and hard to understand without playing the first game but the level-design is action-packed and offers great outcomes when paired with the Gravity Gun.
  37. Oct 30, 2011
    The best game ever made. The storytelling, gameplay, characters, action and soundtrack are all top notch. However, the awful teammate AI(They don't give you any space, constantly remind you to reload, and yell "Take cover!" and then get shot) and lackluster ending mean I can't give Half-Life 2 a perfect score.
  38. Dec 5, 2011
    This is the best game of all time. The shooting feels amazing with the huge variety of weapons. This is FPS perfection; well almost. A few very minor gripes include long loading screens, which are quite frequent, and an annoying level in Ravenholm. The level's spiral layout makes it easy to fall off numerous things numerous times, but even this level mixes up the gameplay with a bit ofThis is the best game of all time. The shooting feels amazing with the huge variety of weapons. This is FPS perfection; well almost. A few very minor gripes include long loading screens, which are quite frequent, and an annoying level in Ravenholm. The level's spiral layout makes it easy to fall off numerous things numerous times, but even this level mixes up the gameplay with a bit of horror. This doesn't matter all that much as the game's story and characters are the best I've ever had the fortune to play with. Every character is developed well (even the headcrab Lamarr), and by the end I was genuinely sad when the credits rolled. Each level feels amazing; you get a real sense of being the underdogs in the war against the Combine. This is a must buy, if you don't have the bloody game already. And if you don't like this game, please staple your nipples to the piston of a speeding train. Thank you. Expand
  39. Nov 5, 2010
    This was the game that got me into FPSs - although of course it's far more than that. Half-Life 2 was the first game in which I experienced 'real' physics. Completely absorbing from start to finish. Brilliant!
  40. Nov 11, 2010
    This game is awesome. it is one of the best FPS's of all time. with an amazing storyline, fun weapons, and the source engine, this game will hook you from the first chapter. i highly recomend this to any gamer.
  41. Nov 27, 2011
    I first purchased the horrible EA port of The Orange Box for PS3 in 2008, mainly because of TF2. I had never read any so-called "hype" about this game before I played it, and it blew my mind. Sure, the graphics were four years old and the loading times showed no mercy, but the story and the variation of Half-Life is its beauty. It isn't just a game, it is a masterpiece. I played it andI first purchased the horrible EA port of The Orange Box for PS3 in 2008, mainly because of TF2. I had never read any so-called "hype" about this game before I played it, and it blew my mind. Sure, the graphics were four years old and the loading times showed no mercy, but the story and the variation of Half-Life is its beauty. It isn't just a game, it is a masterpiece. I played it and both the episodes several times, each time longing for more. It is the most perfect game I have ever played - I recently played MW3 at a friends house, and got bored after an hour, I kid you not. Half-Life 2 is the most original game I have ever played, it deserves its rating. How MW3 got its high rating I'll never understand; it's basically the same game as MW2. People need to look away from just having the best graphics, they have to start looking at storytelling and innovation. This game has soul. People says I had my opinion BEFORE I started playing this game, guess what, I hadn't read any reviews, I had barely heard about it. Trust me, turn on subtitles and pay attention to the dialogue of this game, and you will fall in love with it. Expand
  42. Dec 1, 2011
    Took me a few years to get a "wake up call" and to properly get into this game. When HL2 first came out I wasn't so keen on it. Now that having played through it again, as well as both of the episodes, I really came to appreciate how decent the game is, even compared to the games coming out nowadays. HL2 is not just an FPS game. It might seem like so at first, but there is a whole newTook me a few years to get a "wake up call" and to properly get into this game. When HL2 first came out I wasn't so keen on it. Now that having played through it again, as well as both of the episodes, I really came to appreciate how decent the game is, even compared to the games coming out nowadays. HL2 is not just an FPS game. It might seem like so at first, but there is a whole new level of depth to the gaming experience when it comes to this game. HL2 puts the player in all sorts of varying environments and against all sorts of enemies, each time changing the situation, so that you're never bored. The game is very dynamic. It keeps you surprised, changing the challenge all the time. On top of that it is very rewarding, as games should be. If you spend some time to explore for example, you find good items. The weapons are very enjoyable to use in combat, and some are even pretty unique. The Gravity Gun for example is very diverse in its applications and can be easily used for most of the combat situations in the game. The rocket launcher gives a whole new meaning to the term "homing" as you navigate the missile at your enemies with a laser sight. Every weapon is fantastic, whether it's an awesome sniper crossbow, or bugbait used to attract antlion creatures to attack the enemy. The storyline continues from the first game, except takes place a few years after. Gordon Freeman (the playable character) now finds himself in a dystopic society, where alien civilisation by the name of Combine is ruling over the humans on Earth. The story of HL2 manages to show tyranny and oppression really well. The story still leaves some loose ends, which opened up an opportunity for the sequels. Half Life 2 is generally an all round great game with no outstanding flaws whatsoever (although I felt that earlier parts of the game weren't as good as the latter parts). Great story, fun gameplay, beautiful visuals, nice soundtrack, and very lifelike NPCs (they act just like real people!). Expand
  43. Aug 28, 2011
    Classic. The first Half-Life was one hell of a journey, but this is even more awesome and worth all the money I spent on a new computer when it was released. The design, graphics and storyline is epic. When I played HL2, I remember it gave me a feeling of being in a strange lucid dream that seems real. What a masterpiece of art. I consider Half-Life 2 to be the greatest game of all timeClassic. The first Half-Life was one hell of a journey, but this is even more awesome and worth all the money I spent on a new computer when it was released. The design, graphics and storyline is epic. When I played HL2, I remember it gave me a feeling of being in a strange lucid dream that seems real. What a masterpiece of art. I consider Half-Life 2 to be the greatest game of all time (shared with the SNES title; Zelda: A Link to the Past), both personally and objectively. Expand
  44. CRL
    Jul 24, 2011
    Easily one of my favorite games of all time; Half Life 2 incorporates everything it possibly can into an FPS. There are vehicle chases, (mostly) intelligent AI, and a storyline better than some books. Technologyically, the 2004 graphics still feel fine compared to newer games, and that age means that it won't lag on almost any system. A classic all around.
  45. Mar 7, 2012
    I recently replayed this game, and I had forgotten how great it was! While it wasn't as good as Half-Life, it still deserves a 10/10 for great gameplay, a good challenge, good graphics, a great story, and an overall fun game.
  46. Jan 1, 2012
    With Half-ife 2 Valve proved that Half-life wasnt just a lucky shot. It is a worthy successor, a promise for more to follow and that valve cares of their comunity. Every single aspect of what made Half-Life 1 special was taken care of, enhanced and implemented into Half-Life 2. They kept their special way of storytelling, not interupting the gameplay much, but letting the player exploreWith Half-ife 2 Valve proved that Half-life wasnt just a lucky shot. It is a worthy successor, a promise for more to follow and that valve cares of their comunity. Every single aspect of what made Half-Life 1 special was taken care of, enhanced and implemented into Half-Life 2. They kept their special way of storytelling, not interupting the gameplay much, but letting the player explore just as much of the universe as he likes to. A universe that keeps continuously growing during HL1-2, the episode addons and even Portal since it is also playing in the very same fictional Universe.

Technically it is not trying too fancy stuff but manages to be beautiful and very functional at the same time.
  47. Dec 14, 2011
    I don't give out many 9's to my games, but Half-Life 2 is more than deserving of it. Right from the start, the game had me hooked, and this is despite the fact that I had never played the original Half-Life before. Valve manages to deliver the perfect blend of story-telling, action, and puzzles in a way that keeps you immersed and interested from start to finish. Even when you're sittingI don't give out many 9's to my games, but Half-Life 2 is more than deserving of it. Right from the start, the game had me hooked, and this is despite the fact that I had never played the original Half-Life before. Valve manages to deliver the perfect blend of story-telling, action, and puzzles in a way that keeps you immersed and interested from start to finish. Even when you're sitting through a bit of dialogue, you're intently listening to the trade of words, eager to learn about the state of your world and what must be done for the betterment of mankind. The voice acting is incredible, the shooting mechanics work well, and the story is phenomenally written. I find myself returning to City 17 regularly, despite the linear gameplay. The only reason I'm hesitant to give this one a 10 is--well--it's not perfect. I mean, it's all there: the voice work, the story, the environments, the immersion. Every little bit of it is absolutely incredible, and yet, I refuse to give it a 10. Maybe it's because I'm a little skeptical to the idea of a "perfect game", or maybe it's got a shortcoming that I've overlooked... In order for it to be perfect it has to have it all, and that includes replay value. The unfortunate thing with such a story-driven game is that once you've played it, you already know what happens, so there isn't much reason to pop the disk in again. Nonetheless though, this will always be one of my favorite games of all time, and if you haven't yet given it a try, I highly suggest that you do. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  48. Dec 21, 2011
    Like its epic predecessor Half Life 1, this is pretty much the same thing but much better. Great characters, excellent story, and more importantly; the way the story is told is superb. Almost 10 / 10.
  49. Jan 5, 2012
    An interesting game, without a doubt. Deserves the title of the best. Once I was very impressed. Graphics, in particular texture, at a height! Surroundings, something between the soviet and european - looks great, for this genre. Acceptable quality model Russian cars are also made to treat with respect to the developers. But the main thing, that creates the environment of the game, it'sAn interesting game, without a doubt. Deserves the title of the best. Once I was very impressed. Graphics, in particular texture, at a height! Surroundings, something between the soviet and european - looks great, for this genre. Acceptable quality model Russian cars are also made to treat with respect to the developers. But the main thing, that creates the environment of the game, it's the music! These beautiful song good convey the mood of the game and add drive. If it were not for the music, the game probably wouldn't have liked it all, as it is now. And here are the episodes disappointed - a feeling that began the pursuit of money, this is not a good result. We Hope, Valve senses and start again make good games, and not the "grey "content for the money. Expand
  50. Jan 8, 2012
    This is the best game ever made - nothing has ever ever come close in terms of immersion, AI, shooting, first person story telling, and practically everything else. Every aspect of this game is perfect and if you haven't played this yet - you haven't yet experienced a perfect game.
    HL3 - please?
  51. May 19, 2012
    Awards: The Best FPS of 2004, The Best Technical Graphics of 2004, The Best Virtual Characters of 2004. An unforgettable FPS with stunning graphics, outstanding sandbox gameplay and with some memorable characters. The story is perfectly done. Gordon Freeman is back, in the City 17, trying to escape from it. Barney, an old friend of Gordon, rescues him by taking him to a room, and he meetsAwards: The Best FPS of 2004, The Best Technical Graphics of 2004, The Best Virtual Characters of 2004. An unforgettable FPS with stunning graphics, outstanding sandbox gameplay and with some memorable characters. The story is perfectly done. Gordon Freeman is back, in the City 17, trying to escape from it. Barney, an old friend of Gordon, rescues him by taking him to a room, and he meets virtually the Doctor, nicknamed Doc. It is a stunning experience, and creepy. There are some AI enemies, like crabs, crabs zombies etc. There are also AI enemy humans from Black Mesa. Expand
  52. Mar 29, 2014
    As this game has won over 50 awards, me personally having 1700+ hours on it, winning Game of the Year 2004 AND Game of the Decade... (By IGN) This game truly is amazing. From the story to the characters to the gravity gun, this game cannot get boring despite coming out in 2004. As Half-Life 2 is at max settings, you can easily compare this game to any of today's titles, and still think itAs this game has won over 50 awards, me personally having 1700+ hours on it, winning Game of the Year 2004 AND Game of the Decade... (By IGN) This game truly is amazing. From the story to the characters to the gravity gun, this game cannot get boring despite coming out in 2004. As Half-Life 2 is at max settings, you can easily compare this game to any of today's titles, and still think it has great graphics. Expand
  53. Apr 21, 2011
    This is one of the greatest, if not the greatest game of all times. This game just rocks. From the beginning to the end. It's just........ Perfect!
  54. Nov 17, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is really the first game that drew me to the Half-Life series. The original, as of the time I tried to play it, was just too frustrating and the graphics too dated to get into - at first. Then I played Half-Life 2, and realized what an interesting sci-fi world this was to explore.

Half-Life 2 got me hooked, and then I went back and played through Half-Life 1.... multiple times. Half-Life 2 is just incredible, and its hard to believe so many people play such bland... trashy FPS games these days instead of flavorful titles like Half-Life or Half-Life 2. The storytelling in Half-Life 2 is also special, despite being an action-FPS game. Like Bioshock, Half-Life 2 has a way of telling the story to the player while they are doing other things in the game in such a way that the player never really feels bored with being told a story, despite the fact that they accumulate knowledge of the world and all its intricacies throughout their gameplay experience.

The physics and gameplay are also masterworks of FPS gaming. This is one of the first gaming worlds that ever felt "real" to me. The graphics are superb for their game, and honestly are acceptable by many even considering today's standards, assuming you aren't spoiled by the recent influx of advanced-graphics FPS games these days that have crappy storylines.

If you like sci-fi and like FPS, you should definitely consider giving the Half-Life series a try - especially if the somewhat old graphics won't bother you.
  55. May 18, 2011
    In times where it's rare that a sequel is better than the original. Half-Life 2 pulls off that feat with ease--well ahead of its time. Put this on your bucket list if you've never played it.
  56. Sep 14, 2011
    Wonderful game. All from the storyline, to the fps experience. The characters are really catchy, and it can be enjoyed over and over again. A must own in a fps collection (:
  57. Apr 29, 2011
    The most awesome game ever made so far!!!! Deserves a 10 and it will get one from me. Excellent story, characters and the story combined with the peril of humanity made the game extremely immersive and an excellent play.
  58. Jun 13, 2011
    Without a doubt the greatest video game of all time. People argue that older games like Mario, or Zelda are superior to it, but if given the choice of having to play a game 15+ years old or a game that was only released in the past few years, you'd pick the newer game.

Half Life 2 is packed with great graphics, puzzles, dialogue, weapons, and game-play. To not enjoy this game would be like punching Jesus in the face.

And you wouldn't want to punch Jesus in the face, would you?
  59. Apr 23, 2011
    Short and sweet review, 6 1/2 years after its intial release...Half-life 2 is one of the best games of its time, from its story to the action and "cutscenes". I actually loaded it back up and played the game for the first time in several years and it was still refreshingly fun, quirky, and decently paced, There wasn't a single aspect of the game that I did not like nor could find anyShort and sweet review, 6 1/2 years after its intial release...Half-life 2 is one of the best games of its time, from its story to the action and "cutscenes". I actually loaded it back up and played the game for the first time in several years and it was still refreshingly fun, quirky, and decently paced, There wasn't a single aspect of the game that I did not like nor could find any annoyances with it besides slow loading times, and the DLC episodes were really enjoyable, I hope HL3 is in development or a HL2: EP3, because I would love to continue exploring the half-life world. Expand
  60. Apr 24, 2011
    Many years later and this is still one of my favorite games out there. At the time this games Engine was the only one that truly used Physics, Friction, and buoyancy all together at the same time correctly. I hear people saying how this games physics engine is starting to age and needs to be replaced, first off there constantly doing updates to the engine to make it more "correct" and toMany years later and this is still one of my favorite games out there. At the time this games Engine was the only one that truly used Physics, Friction, and buoyancy all together at the same time correctly. I hear people saying how this games physics engine is starting to age and needs to be replaced, first off there constantly doing updates to the engine to make it more "correct" and to enable new features and second there are new well known games coming out now that still don't match up to this engine. Hell the new COD MW games physics don't match up to this, there creators even admit that they don't want to spend the time and money on creating a newer advance engine. Any way the story is great, game play is great, the whole freaking experience of this game made me happy. I just wish they would give us some info on the Half-Life 3 / HL2 EP3 game....At least let us know that they are working on it... but any way very good game will always be in my top five. Keep it up Valve. your one of the last true video game makers out there don't let business get in the way of quality Expand
  61. May 18, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is a masterpiece of the FPS genre, i still remember my first playtrough, when i was amazed by the graphics, physics, the characters, their awesome voice acting, etc.

If i wanted to get someone into gaming i would show him/her hl2

thx valve for creating this!
  62. Apr 25, 2011
    Even with an engine that's now 7 years old now Half-Life 2 is still amazing. This game is a must buy, must play and must love. It was the best game Ever until Portal 2 showed up.... But I KNOW Episode Three will be the best game I'll ever play. The story of this game is just.... incredible, breathtaking. The best game of the past decade. You've got to buy it.... NOW!
  63. Apr 29, 2011
    Best game I've ever played, without a doubt. I know this game as if it was the back of my own hand, perhaps better! If you haven't played this game, you've missed out. Get it as soon as you can!
  64. Jun 10, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is a good game. What do I try to trick? It is an awesome game! Even in 2010 it offers so much. So, lets start with the good things.

Half-Life 2 has nice graphics but you can have a bad computer to play it. It also has a beautiful storyline and there are no cutscenes in this game. That is good because you feel like... you are Gordon Freeman and in the center of... everything. This game has 15 chapters... well 14 because chapter 15 is the credits. Many of you will agree that the scariest chapter is ' ' We Don' t Go To Ravenholm...' ' . I think it doesn' t fit there where it is but they put the chapter in to show the physics.

The bad things. Is Gordon Freeman a Superman that he can drive and open doors without hands? Sometimes it is boring to listen other characters because they talk too much. Little graphical failures and they are the bad things. Thanks VALVe for this fantastic game and I am waiting the Episode Three.
    Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    Sounds: 9
    Story: 10
  65. Jun 8, 2011
    This is maybe the best game ever made. All in this game is perfect. This game changed the FPS genre that we know today. One of the best elements to tell a story in an FPS that was carried over recent games.
  66. May 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic sequel of a gaming-revolution Half-life. After 6 years, we all got the game all of us expected. And the sequel is even better than the HL! Deep Sci-fi atmosphere, fantastic plot, great realistic graphics, soundtrack and sounds, also animation & dialogs - all this make this game perfect! Today we must say HL2 is one of the best games ever! Expand
  67. May 21, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome voicing, awesome graphics at that time. simply awesome.

ps. bah on the 150 min length.
  68. May 3, 2012
    There's no such thing as 'The perfect game', but Half Life 2 comes damn close, it excels as a shooter, has some of the most likeable NPC's you'll ever meet in a game and is one of the most immersive games around thanks to the lack of any cut-scenes. There was not a single point in the game where I wasn't having an enjoyable experience and it's graphics still hold their own today. This isThere's no such thing as 'The perfect game', but Half Life 2 comes damn close, it excels as a shooter, has some of the most likeable NPC's you'll ever meet in a game and is one of the most immersive games around thanks to the lack of any cut-scenes. There was not a single point in the game where I wasn't having an enjoyable experience and it's graphics still hold their own today. This is one the few must have games for any true gamer, you really are missing out if you don't play this at least once, and you're robbing yourself of a true masterpiece. Expand
  69. Jan 15, 2012
    Best game ever made. Are Valve games are 90+ but Half-Life 2 is the best Valve game. I finished 15-16 times. This game contains a lot of new things when you play it again and again.
  70. Jun 14, 2011
    This is a great game. If you don't appreciate the great story and gameplay, you are not a true gamer. Call of Duty is crap compared to Half Life. The graphics are great, even by today's standards. Even though it's old, Valve knows their engine, and this enables them to have good graphics and low system requirements. Graphics don't make the game though; gameplay does, and this gameThis is a great game. If you don't appreciate the great story and gameplay, you are not a true gamer. Call of Duty is crap compared to Half Life. The graphics are great, even by today's standards. Even though it's old, Valve knows their engine, and this enables them to have good graphics and low system requirements. Graphics don't make the game though; gameplay does, and this game definitely has some of the best gameplay ever. Expand
  71. Sep 26, 2011
    Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other scienceHalf Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other science fiction, it's not as original as many claim. Half Life 2 has awesome graphics, innovative physics, game play, fabulously designed levels and game moments but my point is that it shows how lacking and unoriginal the rest of the industry is - that many would claim Half Life 2 to be better than it actually is. If Half Life 2 is the best there is in single player gaming - then video games truely are lacking... HL2 is still a real achievement and Valve has something to be proud of. Expand
  72. Mar 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you want falling in love buy this game!
    The first and the best!
    Gordon Freeman will became your hero!

.....................................................................
  73. Aug 4, 2011
    Usually, I like to go in-depth with my reviews and my explanations for my opinion. However, in this case, I feel there is no need. Because if you don't like this game...you don't like video games. That is all.
  74. Sep 8, 2011
    The greatest single player first person shooter ever made. If a game better than this is ever created it will be by the same team. Valve rule the world and Gabe is a god.
  75. Aug 2, 2011
    A perfect game, possibly one of the best games ever made, great story, amazing game-play, truly a revolution for the FPS genre at its time.
    I think this game is underrated even with a 96 meta-score.
  76. Aug 11, 2011
    Magnificent Graphics, Great (Not Just Good) Storyline, Nice Variety Of Enemies From The Combine To Headcrabs, You Never Know What To Expect. I Was A Little Bit Dissapointed In Ravenholm But I Wouldnt Use That To Judge My Overall Score Because I Am Not A Big Horror Game Fan. Ravenholm Scares The Crap Out Of Me Whenever I Walk Around A Corner, Although Its Pretty Fun To Kill Headcrab ZombiesMagnificent Graphics, Great (Not Just Good) Storyline, Nice Variety Of Enemies From The Combine To Headcrabs, You Never Know What To Expect. I Was A Little Bit Dissapointed In Ravenholm But I Wouldnt Use That To Judge My Overall Score Because I Am Not A Big Horror Game Fan. Ravenholm Scares The Crap Out Of Me Whenever I Walk Around A Corner, Although Its Pretty Fun To Kill Headcrab Zombies With A Giant Saw And A Gravity Gun. When I First Got To Ravenholm, I Wouldnt Go Anywhere Because Of The Intense Music, Which Is Another Reason The Game Is So Great. Good Music To Emphasize The Situation. The Hardest Part Yet Is The Big Hoverboat - Heli fight. I Died About... 19 Times Before I Perfected My Technique. I've Learned That It Is Ok To Die In This Game Alot Because Then You Really Get To Experience How Hard It Is For Gordon To Live His Life. The Heli Fight May Have Been The Hardest So Far, But There Is Much To Come. Expand
  77. Aug 8, 2011
    There isn't much to say here, Gordon Freeman is a god.
    Valve really outdid themselves with Half-Life 2. Never a dull moment, the action segments are riveting and there's no shortage of puzzles to solve.
  78. Aug 10, 2011
    Problobly one of the best first shooter game i've ever bought it has great gameplay and extreame graphics! From ecaping from city 17 on a air boat, or destroying the citaidel. It is the one of the best game to hit the earths atmosphere!!!
  79. Sep 3, 2011
    With its excellent suspense, atmosphere, gameplay, puzzles(Though they can get frustrating at times), story, and graphics(Even at September 2011 it is beautiful), Half-Life 2 competes with the first Half-Life and Deus Ex for the best PC game ever made.
  80. Oct 15, 2011
    this is made of gold, and shining diamonds, and chrome, and everything good about existence. you may find yourself in the zelda pose, where you dont know what to do, but in this, its fun, so for 6 quid go get
  81. Feb 5, 2012
    What's so great about Half-Life 2 is that for some reason, you never get bored. If it was me to say, I'd think it's because of the fantastic, strong and stable story which always makes you wanting more to know about it. Characters have really their own personalities, the physics system of Source SDK is that good that it's truly one of the most important factors of the game. Valve knew whatWhat's so great about Half-Life 2 is that for some reason, you never get bored. If it was me to say, I'd think it's because of the fantastic, strong and stable story which always makes you wanting more to know about it. Characters have really their own personalities, the physics system of Source SDK is that good that it's truly one of the most important factors of the game. Valve knew what to do, and they exploded through all the First-Person shooters, even today! Expand
  82. Nov 1, 2011
    I find it hard to stop saying good things about this game, and then again why would i want to.. It keeps getting better with community encouraged mods sp and mp both helping to expand the already huge HL2 Universe. This game at it's time and arguably still was and is ahead of it's time in so many ways. Fun fun fun oh and did i say? FUN!
  83. Jan 5, 2012
    This game goes beyond words by how amazing it is. I actually like this game better than The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (mostly because I suck at that game). Everything about this game is just about perfect. The gameplay, the graphics, the music (what little there is), the story, everything. What really disappoints me is that once games such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, andThis game goes beyond words by how amazing it is. I actually like this game better than The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (mostly because I suck at that game). Everything about this game is just about perfect. The gameplay, the graphics, the music (what little there is), the story, everything. What really disappoints me is that once games such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and Halo 3 came out, everyone seemed to forget about this near perfect game. Why this is disappointing is because this game is actually better than both of them. To be honest, this is not my favorite video game of all time. Super Smash Bros. Brawl still beats it. However, it doesn't beat this game by much. When the chips are down, this game could still top most competition. I really want the Halo and Call of Duty fans to try this game out, and see if this is really better than both of those games. If you are one of those fans, and you have tried this game out, say yes if this game is really better than Halo or Call of Duty. If it's not better to you, say no, or don't vote at all. It's your choice. Expand
  84. Nov 14, 2011
    This game is as good as a game will ever be. Brilliant game-play, beautiful graphics, not the best story ever, but still very good.
    How are you able to combine all those things, and still have a good game Valve?
    Please reveal your secrets. -Huffle.
  85. Nov 16, 2011
    There is a reason this game won so many GOTYs. This a masterpiece. Its the best game of the last decade without a doubt. Bravo Valve. Take your time with EP3/ HL3 to make sure it becomes the best game of the next decade. No pressure.
  86. Nov 18, 2011
    The thing about grading a game like Half-Life 2 is that you have to remember it was released back in 2004. Consequently, some technologies in the Source engine might not have been on the same level as, say, Frostbite 2. That still doesn't stop it from looking absolutely amazing today, complete with lip-sync and NPC animations that don't plunge straight into the uncanny valley...back inThe thing about grading a game like Half-Life 2 is that you have to remember it was released back in 2004. Consequently, some technologies in the Source engine might not have been on the same level as, say, Frostbite 2. That still doesn't stop it from looking absolutely amazing today, complete with lip-sync and NPC animations that don't plunge straight into the uncanny valley...back in 2004. The gameplay and story are also pretty solid, the latter particularly because it never takes away interactivity entirely just to show you an overwrought cutscene. It might lock you in a room, but you can still bunny-hop everywhere if it makes you feel better. On the whole, though, Half-Life 2 is a game that was ahead of its time back then, and honestly, to me, it still is. Expand
  87. Mar 4, 2012
    what is half life 2? not only is it original, atmospheric and beautiful, it keeps you sucked in to the game at all times (provided that you listen to the story line). the only people i know who would hate this game are-surprise, surprise- the CoD fanboys. the only thing they seem to have against it is "it's too boring" or "it just sucks because it's not CoD". boring? to not be bored atwhat is half life 2? not only is it original, atmospheric and beautiful, it keeps you sucked in to the game at all times (provided that you listen to the story line). the only people i know who would hate this game are-surprise, surprise- the CoD fanboys. the only thing they seem to have against it is "it's too boring" or "it just sucks because it's not CoD". boring? to not be bored at half life 2, please LISTEN TO THE STORY. then you won't get bored! hows that for logic and reasoning, kiddies? this game will keep you playing, and playing, and playing, because this game is as atmospheric, thrilling, scary, and original as FPS shooting will ever get. screw the media, telling you that "CoD is the best FPS out there", or the little kids constantly bashing other games, because they think CoD is the best (even though they haven't played anything else), because they are wrong. they always have been. Expand
  88. Mar 7, 2012
    An amazing game. I spent countless hours playing this when it first came out, I dont know if it still holds up today, but still a game that everyone should play.
  89. Mar 8, 2012
    Eagles Scream! This was one of the most thrilling games ever, Episode one and two are even better. Graphical wise this game is really neat. And the AI is sublime.
  90. May 18, 2012
    I've just replayed HL2 again for about the 10th time and can honestly say it still provides more entertainment, story and game play mechanics than any other FPS in recent times I can think of. Yes - it's a linear shooter, and there is nothing wrong with that if you understand how to do a linear shooter. We don't need constant screen hints telling us we have "Jump here" or "Crouch behindI've just replayed HL2 again for about the 10th time and can honestly say it still provides more entertainment, story and game play mechanics than any other FPS in recent times I can think of. Yes - it's a linear shooter, and there is nothing wrong with that if you understand how to do a linear shooter. We don't need constant screen hints telling us we have "Jump here" or "Crouch behind this rock". We don't need radars or flashing arrows on the screen telling us where to go. FPS games these days are aimed towards people who can't think and need to be told how to do everything. In HL2, yes we follow a linear path, but we also left to think for ourselves, solve little puzzles and even sometimes take on a kind of platforming style unlike COD (and many others) games where we just watch the fancy explosions and get told where to go and what to do (and I just had to laugh at his comment in another review - "The story's nothing special either. Although it's linear, there's no objectives so it's possible to get lost on where to go/what to do" - My point exacaly, because you have to think for yourself !). HL2 gets the cinematic approach spot on, makes us feel like we are part of the story where other FPS games makes us feel like we are just sat there watching a shallow action film. Every enemy in the game has to be approached differently, unlike most other shooters where you just aim and hold down the trigger and again watch the fancy explosions and gibs flying everywhere. And to moan about the graphics ??? Seriously ? Why is it that's all people care about these days. To me this game still looks great even today (8 years later is it ? I can't remember the release date atm), and if you don't like it check out the great MOD community (Cinematic mod). So if you like to think for yourself and actually take part in something called game play, this game is for you. If you like a dumb shooter where you constantly told what to do and are impressed more with graphics and explosions, stick to your COD games. Expand
  91. Sep 9, 2012
    With awesome story and very nice gameplay, this is definetly one of the best singleplayer games i have ever played. I would recommend it for anyone who haven't played it already.
  92. Jun 8, 2012
    Some of the negative reviews here are partially correct. For the most part, however, they are wrong. At the time of release, Half-Life 2 was exceptional. Technically speaking, Half-Life 2 was years ahead of its time; just as the first Half-Life was, years before. Half-Life 2 brought a level of interactivity and immersion that gamers had never even thought of. The game was able toSome of the negative reviews here are partially correct. For the most part, however, they are wrong. At the time of release, Half-Life 2 was exceptional. Technically speaking, Half-Life 2 was years ahead of its time; just as the first Half-Life was, years before. Half-Life 2 brought a level of interactivity and immersion that gamers had never even thought of. The game was able to accomplish a very cinematic feel and tell a great, detailed story without the use of cut-scenes. The facial expressions of the characters in Half-Life 2 were something that blew away many gamers. Facial expressions in video games have never been done with such detail, the only game that has beat Half-Life 2's facial expressions is L.A. Noire. L.A. Noire didn't come out until 2011, seven years after the release of Half-Life 2. That tells you just how technically advanced HL2 was. Facial expressions were not the only aspect of HL2 that seemed to catch player's attention. The physics engine is what had many players and critics alike in a frenzy. While real-time physics had been in video games before, Half-Life 2 took it to a whole new level. It made players actually use physics in order to solve puzzles and defeat certain enemies, instead of using the engine as something cool to look at, e.g., Halo series. The level of immersion that followed was overwhelmingly satisfying. Players were given the freedom to interact with many objects and do many things that they normally could not do in other games. Half-Life 2 gave players the illusion of freedom; many puzzles were designed so that there was no specific way to accomplish them. Not only that, but many areas had secret alcoves and otherwise unreachable areas that could only be reached if the player utilized the physics engine, giving players a sense of an open-environment. Half-Life 2 is able to create a very non-linear experience within an extremely linear game. I believe that this is one of the main reasons why critics loved it. Many of the things I have said here only scratch the surface, Half-Life 2 has immense replayability value. No there isn't any collectibles, or levels to achieve. But the game, much like a good movie, had many small things that were easily missed. Playing it through for a second time, a player will be more likely to discover these little things. Secret areas, interesting mini-puzzles, and G-Man sitings are a few things that make the game worth playing again and again. I first bought this game four years ago, and it completely blew my mind. I have since replayed it four times now. With every playthrough, I found something new. Half-Life 2 truly is an amazing game. If you are reading this and have ever considered trying it, but never got around to buying it, take my advice: go buy Half-Life 2 right now. I sincerely believe that Half-Life 2 is our generation's Super Mario Bros., it's simply a game that will always be remembered. Thanks for reading, Signed: Culture F. Expand
  93. Jul 28, 2012
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. I played through it once when it first came out, then again a few months ago and it hasn't aged a bit! The physics, the graphics, the story, the ai, the gameplay, and the source community makes this a must have game for ANYONE. not just fps lovers but anyone. go pick up this games, Zombie panic source and Insurgency for just $10 and youThis is one of the best games I have ever played. I played through it once when it first came out, then again a few months ago and it hasn't aged a bit! The physics, the graphics, the story, the ai, the gameplay, and the source community makes this a must have game for ANYONE. not just fps lovers but anyone. go pick up this games, Zombie panic source and Insurgency for just $10 and you will be satisfied for months. Buy this game. right now. you owe it to yourself! Expand
  94. Jul 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is honestly one of the Greatest FPS! It is a lost art for today's games to take you on an adventure like HL2 does. The ability to play this game again and again without ever getting board is mind blowing. Great game for the mind and the trigger. All around great game. I do like how it takes you into a mystery at the end of where you are and who's watching you. Great concept. Expand
  95. Nov 3, 2013
    Half-Life 2 is one of the best FPS games, but i just liked HL1 (Half-Life 1) much more. I really miss Xen in HL 2, i know its because of story, but i really hoped on revisiting that weird dimension. I think that original half-life had more enemy types and more interesting weapons. On the other hand, the story and characters are some of the best. The only reason i do not give it 10 isHalf-Life 2 is one of the best FPS games, but i just liked HL1 (Half-Life 1) much more. I really miss Xen in HL 2, i know its because of story, but i really hoped on revisiting that weird dimension. I think that original half-life had more enemy types and more interesting weapons. On the other hand, the story and characters are some of the best. The only reason i do not give it 10 is because of parts where you drive vehicle (some of the worst driving experience i ever seen). Expand
  96. Sep 19, 2013
    La excelencia hecha juego.Una magistral sensacion de accion y drama que cautivan al jugador desde el principio.Graficamente sublime.Un viaje no lineal donde el jugador resuelve por sus propias deducciones los puzles.Sonido y banda sonora notables.
  97. Apr 26, 2014
    The original revolutionized gaming forever, and this sequel did the same. 10 years later I am still in love with this game. The story is incredible, the gameplay is flawless, and the source engine of course speaks for itself. This is a game that deserves every point of its perfect score.
  98. Nov 13, 2013
    The Half-Life series in general is the best set of games I've played ever! Worth whatever amount anybody throws at you, even today it's an amazing game with one of the best story lines ever!
  99. Dec 31, 2013
    The Game That Started it all for me, and got me On to steam. Love This game over and over again. I can play this game, but it is frustrating at moments, just when I think I cant pass a part I figure it out no problem.
  100. Jan 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. It's only a well-made shooter. It lasts for over 20 hours, but it has only 4 or 5 real plot twists, and all the other twists are related to the action! (like ravenholm). It seems good at the train station, but soon you'll discover the city isn't real. It's just a lot of combine soldiers. And then you'll have to kill 100 people and 20 monsters to get to the other level, where you'll drive a boat and kill another 100 people and this time 30 monsters. Then someone comes to you and says hey, I'm your father! And then you're like "Noooo!", and kill a couple hundred more. The plot can be written this short:
    - Gordon joins resistance
    - Eli is captured
    - Mossman is a traitor
    - Alyx is captured too
    - Mossman is a traitor again, so prisoners are freed
    - they blow **** up

So what kind of plot is that?? But anyway, it's nice to play in the parts where it's well made and not too repetitive. For example the lighthouse, turret defense and driving parts I liked.

After all, a well made linear FPS is always better than a non-linear game gone wrong. For example Far Cry 2 tries to create a free world, but it fails miserably.