Half-Life 2 PC

9.1

1. Bobby
    Nov 16, 2004
    Amazing singleplayer game, it keeps you in the game full time. Beautiful graphics, beautiful sound, beautiful animations everything is beautiful
  2. Half-life2Fan
    Nov 16, 2004
    This game is the best I have ever seen!!!
  3. SamN.
  4. SammyJ.
    Nov 17, 2004
    An absolutely stunning game. The Gamespot review is way off. Not that HL2 is flawless, but it's so close you don't care. This game will blow you away, whether or not you were a Half-Life fan to start with. Way better than Halo 2 or Doom 3.
  5. GlennP.
    Nov 17, 2004
    This game is the best FPS I've ever seen. The graphics engine is absolutely stunning - I have no idea how they got it to look so AWESOME on my ATI 9500 Pro video card - it looks better than Far-Cry with twice the framerate. I spent the first 30 minutes of the game with my jaw literally hanging open - this game is the new standard that all FPS games will have to meet.
  6. BobbyJ.
    Nov 17, 2004
    This is game is just... WOW, Valve really outdone themselves with this one, in fact, theyve outdone every other game out there, I mean the graphics, sound, and every thing else. This game is a definite buy for any PC gamer. :)
  7. TheSourceG
    Nov 17, 2004
    The best game Ive ever played. Its just out of this world. The graphics are so good you really feel like your there. Takes physics to a whole new level. I guess its true, good things come to those who wait.
  8. BuddyLove
    Nov 17, 2004
    I bought the DVD version of this game and it totally still rocks. This year's best FPS and the most gorgeous graphics. You will not be disappointed. It also include the first Hlaf Life & Counter-Strike: Source.
  9. BrianR.
    Nov 17, 2004
    Load times aside (steam or otherwise) this is one of the best crafted games out there.
  10. K.M.
    Nov 18, 2004
    You heard all the accolades and rave reviews...so I can't praise this game any further...all I can add, after playing the first few chapters, is that never before have I been so involved as a character in a game. Wow - every bullet I dodge, every hit I take, every inch I fall, it all feels like it's so real...no, it is real, or at least after a while your mind's gonna tell You heard all the accolades and rave reviews...so I can't praise this game any further...all I can add, after playing the first few chapters, is that never before have I been so involved as a character in a game. Wow - every bullet I dodge, every hit I take, every inch I fall, it all feels like it's so real...no, it is real, or at least after a while your mind's gonna tell you so. This in my humble opinion is the greatest achievement in action gaming, bar none. Don't take my word for it, grab your crowbar and step into the world that is City 17. Games like this are few and far in between. Enjoy it while it's here folks. Expand
  11. MickT.
    Nov 18, 2004
    Very good production quality but the story bites. i prefered halo 2 over this. now before all u halo haters come and beat me up i have one very simple explanation. i did not feel involved in the story as much as i have other titles( eg. zelda oot and halo) i appreciate the (mostly) good reviews on this site. as aposed to halo 2 where a million people gave it a hundred. deserved 98 at most.Very good production quality but the story bites. i prefered halo 2 over this. now before all u halo haters come and beat me up i have one very simple explanation. i did not feel involved in the story as much as i have other titles( eg. zelda oot and halo) i appreciate the (mostly) good reviews on this site. as aposed to halo 2 where a million people gave it a hundred. deserved 98 at most. i give this game 7/10. Expand
  12. DavidM.
    Nov 18, 2004
    It is the best game ever. I Love it.
  13. Ben
    Nov 18, 2004
    This game is the best fps i have ever played. the physics are freaking amazig.
  14. Dimi
    Nov 18, 2004
    #best physics engine in a fps ever, you can "feel" and handle objects in a way never possible before. #most details textures in a fps ever, extremly detailed walls etc. #rich story compared to other fps. no doubt doom3 and others have a hard time matching the story depth in HL2. i believe that there are to many fps released nowadays, all fps gives you a feeling of quantity rather than #best physics engine in a fps ever, you can "feel" and handle objects in a way never possible before. #most details textures in a fps ever, extremly detailed walls etc. #rich story compared to other fps. no doubt doom3 and others have a hard time matching the story depth in HL2. i believe that there are to many fps released nowadays, all fps gives you a feeling of quantity rather than quality. But this one feels no doubt a as meaningful and supereb release, even tough we have seen much of this before, the above mentioned makes this propably one of the best FPS to date. Expand
  15. RetR.
    Amazing.
  16. DougD.
    Nov 19, 2004
    This game floored me the moment I stepped off the train. It's graphics and physics engine is truly incredible. Although Jon Carmack (Founder, lead developer of id; DOOM) shouldn't lose any sleep over his masterpiece, the SOURCE engine is truly amazing. Eyes follow your moves while their head moves in the other direction, awesome. The physics, like the graphics, are also one of a This game floored me the moment I stepped off the train. It's graphics and physics engine is truly incredible. Although Jon Carmack (Founder, lead developer of id; DOOM) shouldn't lose any sleep over his masterpiece, the SOURCE engine is truly amazing. Eyes follow your moves while their head moves in the other direction, awesome. The physics, like the graphics, are also one of a kind. What brings this review down to a 9 for me is the story. It had so much potential, but ultimately fails which is truly awful because it puts a minor dent in the armor of the best FPS since the original Half Life. Expand
  17. JeromeD.
    Nov 21, 2004
    Completely awesome, best game i've ever played, probably best game i'll have played for quite some time to come. Valve owns all.
  18. AndrewC
    Nov 21, 2004
    The most immersive and compelling game I have ever played. A thrilling experience from start to finish.
  19. MattW.
    Nov 21, 2004
    The best game ever. better than anything else, halo 2 good game, but nothing compared to this. the story is great and i think it sets the scene perfectly for a sequel. and how good that would be.
  20. AnonymousMC
    Nov 20, 2004
    First off, i would like to say Rehn H is a complete idiot. Second, this game just rocks the world, physics, graphics, storyline, immersion are incredible. Just un-freakin believable. People who give this game below an 8.5 (due to lack of being able to kill teammates, some geometry problems, and ease of gameplay) just dont know what the hell they are talking about. I beat the game threeFirst off, i would like to say Rehn H is a complete idiot. Second, this game just rocks the world, physics, graphics, storyline, immersion are incredible. Just un-freakin believable. People who give this game below an 8.5 (due to lack of being able to kill teammates, some geometry problems, and ease of gameplay) just dont know what the hell they are talking about. I beat the game three days after it came out on my vacation days, i almost played nonstop. The time it takes to beat this masterpiece will astound you. 10/10 for this one, best pc game, best fps, all around best game of the year. Expand
  21. AnonymousMC
    Nov 20, 2004
    This game has better graphics than Halo 2. Well, considering the XBOX is 3 years old what does everyone expect? I can't wait to see what all the pc fanboys say next November when XBOX 2 comes out and has hardware 5 times as powerful as what you run Half Life 2 on, makinG it look like PS1. Other than the graphics and different physics, this game is no better than anything else on theThis game has better graphics than Halo 2. Well, considering the XBOX is 3 years old what does everyone expect? I can't wait to see what all the pc fanboys say next November when XBOX 2 comes out and has hardware 5 times as powerful as what you run Half Life 2 on, makinG it look like PS1. Other than the graphics and different physics, this game is no better than anything else on the market. Definately not as good as Halo 2 was overall. And it's on 3 year old hardware. I think I'm gonna laugh.....LOL...... Expand
  22. BrianS.
    Nov 23, 2004
    This game is without a doubt the best game I have ever played. Storyline, characters, physics, graphics. its all the best ever done in a game.
  23. TonyThePirate
    Nov 23, 2004
    Very good game. The graphics are great.....very realistic....doesn't burden your graphics card heavily (like Doom 3). The plot is good and Valve sure did a good job in getting the player immersed in the game. I was totally hooked the first time I played it. I'm not done playing but I look forward to it when I have the time.
  24. MarcD.
    Nov 23, 2004
    A well-polished FPS with, both, a strong single and multiplayer mode. Fans of CS will love the new Source version and the people who loved the pacing of the original Half-Life will relive the love affair they had with the first game's single-player campaign. Great stuff.
  25. Mr.Fajardo
    Nov 25, 2004
    Like 6 years ago, HL 2 will make you to forget ANY FPS around. Let the mods begin !!
  26. JanP.
    Nov 26, 2004
    Nice engine, ending sucks. Waiting for mods.
  27. DigitalDevil
    Nov 26, 2004
    Get it now!
  28. SpankMonkey
    Nov 27, 2004
    Game very good but not best. Starcraft is still better. to TONY THE PIRATE how much did you pay for you're 'copy' of HL2? ;) hahaha my bad.
  29. DaveyZ.
    Nov 29, 2004
    Anyone who says this game is overrated doesn't know what they're talking about. This game was ridiculously intensely fun all the way through. The game was pretty long and i still cursed and was disappointed when it ended...the ending sequence was so fun. Linear game? Yes...it is a fps (most of them tend to be). If you want a non-linear game play vampire bloodlines...you'll Anyone who says this game is overrated doesn't know what they're talking about. This game was ridiculously intensely fun all the way through. The game was pretty long and i still cursed and was disappointed when it ended...the ending sequence was so fun. Linear game? Yes...it is a fps (most of them tend to be). If you want a non-linear game play vampire bloodlines...you'll come crawling back to hl2 w/in 10 minutes. Best game made up till now. Expand
  30. AnonymousMC
    Oct 13, 2004
    Hey Mr. Gaming Editor, by the way I HAVE played HL2, or at least CS Source! Available on STEAM now you can get HL2, which comes with CS Source(exactly the same as regular counterstrike gameplay wise, but looks sooooo much better its a different game). I have paid $60 for the silver edition which includes CS Source, HL2, DOD Source, and HL1 Source. I can already say that the $60 is worth CSHey Mr. Gaming Editor, by the way I HAVE played HL2, or at least CS Source! Available on STEAM now you can get HL2, which comes with CS Source(exactly the same as regular counterstrike gameplay wise, but looks sooooo much better its a different game). I have paid $60 for the silver edition which includes CS Source, HL2, DOD Source, and HL1 Source. I can already say that the $60 is worth CS source alone. every item can be interacted with realistically. you can bust up computers in the office map and see the parts spill out. the best thing is that bullet holes stay there, dont just dissapear. the game looks sooo much nicer. then there is gonna be HL1 Source, the remake of the best game ever made. If you've played HL think that with the HL2 graphics and physics. thats saying ALOT. Then DOD source. Although this is only in early development and wont be out for some time, the idea of all the DOD maps redone just make chills go down my spine. dod_forest actually looking like a real forest? yes, its true.
    Oh yeah.......then there is HL2 itself. Im not gonna get into this but if you dont know about it take a look at the website and see why its the most anticipated game of all time. the fact that those 4 games are only $60 total is the most insane thing and i hereby declare HL2 the BEST GAME EVER with THE BEST VALUE TOO.
  31. AlessandroT.
    Dec 21, 2004
    Yes, they got it. Valve did another masterpiece, opening the road to a new generation of FPS/adventure games. The storyboard and gameplay are amazing. Great interaction with the environment and beautiful graphic, which runs smooth on a average today computer. I generally prefer squad-based games like Hidden and Dangerous or Operation Flashpoint, but this actually beats all of them as Yes, they got it. Valve did another masterpiece, opening the road to a new generation of FPS/adventure games. The storyboard and gameplay are amazing. Great interaction with the environment and beautiful graphic, which runs smooth on a average today computer. I generally prefer squad-based games like Hidden and Dangerous or Operation Flashpoint, but this actually beats all of them as depth in gameplay. Sometimes Half life 2 is violent or disturbing, with strange form of mutants, aliens and blood, but by the way this is modern science fiction! Great game Expand
  32. RicardoA.
    Dec 23, 2004
    This game is the best ever!!!
  33. BOBM.
    Dec 26, 2004
    Finally a sequel to half life! Anyone who does not like this game never kicked alien ass or busted melons in half life, (that is to say...had a sniper rifle in half life and popped some government black opps head). Ha ha ha. {more of a Opposing Force issue} The secret goverment lab mentality created in half life was terrific! Complete with snake-like government agents, and tax payer Finally a sequel to half life! Anyone who does not like this game never kicked alien ass or busted melons in half life, (that is to say...had a sniper rifle in half life and popped some government black opps head). Ha ha ha. {more of a Opposing Force issue} The secret goverment lab mentality created in half life was terrific! Complete with snake-like government agents, and tax payer dollars going to waste. I wonder why there are not more games in this vain considering the current political climate? I'm glad it continues....what will the next generation of graphics bring to the gaming world? Expand
  34. SamuelA.
    Dec 27, 2004
    BUY IT, BUY IT and buy it.. its a really great game, i love it, the most beathiful game ever made.... PERFECT, just a bit to short!
  35. MankeeOfDoom
    Dec 27, 2004
    An absolutely exhilarating experience. Easily the best game of the year. It even beats out the original. The most immersive piece of interactive entertainment I've had the pleasure of playing. 'Tis the win.
  36. LukeM.
    Dec 31, 2004
  37. KennethW.
    Oct 25, 2004
    This game looks awsome even better then doom 3.
  38. LukeM.
    Oct 31, 2004
  39. MartyH.
    Nov 15, 2005
    Best FPS ever! Beautiful Graphics, impressive physics, good storyline, brilliant level design, and fun vehicles. Half-Life 2 has it all.
  40. BrendanK.
    Oct 14, 2005
    I loved this game - even more than the originial. It has one of the best atmospheres ever, with lots of action and puzzles etc.
  41. DanielC.
    Jan 14, 2005
    A good game, although only just average to today's standards. The excellent physics engine and awesome pixel shader effects make this game a real treat to play, but the overly-scripted events, insufficient AI, and bad plot ruin the overall experience. Having been spoiled by Far Cry, Call of Duty, Doom 3 and other shooters I can only give this game a score of 7.
  42. Rafael
    Jan 25, 2005
    I´ve been playing this game only for a few hours but it´s enough for me to say that this is probably the best first person shooter game i ever played. I can´t wait for the day when they will release some kind of computer glases so you´ll be totally inside of a 3D game. This game is awesome!!!
  43. Alex
    Feb 18, 2005
    Man... if there was a 9.5 rating... incredible game, Half-Life. its not really ment to be any sort of a horror/thriller game, but there are a few jumpy moments throughout. sweet gameplay, smart-AI, and smooth graphics are just icing on the metaphrical-super-delectable cake. the only problems i could find are the numerous (and often annoying) loading times, the 5-CD install, and Steam.
  44. NickL.
    Feb 24, 2005
    Very good graphics compared to the first one very intense a little to gorey for me butt uther than that it is a good game get it.
  45. ZygoffW.
    Feb 27, 2005
    Overall a great game with a few minor quirks that hold it back. While a great idea, Steam is more of a hassle than it really should be. The game itself is far too short and could use a more diverse cast of enemies.
  46. ChrisN.
    Mar 26, 2005
    Well, I would just like to say to all you who complain about steam and how you have to set up an account to play... On the box it says internet connections REQUIRED, that means you need it, deal with it, if you don't like it dont buy the game.... The physics are amazing, the games storyline is linear, but thats how it should be, its not GTA nor should it be, Half-Life 2 is less than Well, I would just like to say to all you who complain about steam and how you have to set up an account to play... On the box it says internet connections REQUIRED, that means you need it, deal with it, if you don't like it dont buy the game.... The physics are amazing, the games storyline is linear, but thats how it should be, its not GTA nor should it be, Half-Life 2 is less than a challenge than Half-Life 1, when half-life 1 came out first person shooters weren't challenging and there werent that many good ones... if you look now there is a plethora of shooters and we have all become accustomed to them... Try playing Half-Life 1 again... I did before Half-Life 2 came out and it wasn't half the challenge that it was when i first tried it, we have just gotten too accustomed to them... Now concerning steam and the processes that we had to go through to play... Plain and simple; would you like to put six years of your life into a game, perfecting, working, develloping a game that is in all ways a master piece to have it stolen mby some college grad with a computer steal it, use it, play it without ever playing? does that sound just to you? Also as to the AI? on hard the ai is very smart, i once popped out a door, then saw four or five CP soldiers and a strider, then ran back inside and waited for them to come and attack me... one ran through the door.... shotgun to the head! I expected more to come through pop 'em off one by one, not going to happen... a nade comes through... i jumped behind a table that flew into me and hurt me... then again i waited.. the strider crouched down and looked into the doorway charged its beam and fired! its was impressive i closed the door and blocked it up with a few tables and the cps tried to break down the door they couldnt! they smashed the window and started to shoot me they lobbed grenades etc! this was NOT SCRIPTED!!! i tried it more than once... it happened differenly each time (including one time that then shot the boxes to break them and then kicked open the door,) Ok, last thing... i think people who say that the phsysics are stupid and that there are games with better graphics than Half-Life 2, Ok you are on crack... or have been hit in the head one too many times with a real crowbar... There is no game that can compare.... Far cry? Lol yah... right I own that game.. I have beaten it but the game doesnt have anything going for it other than a fun gameplay... its mediocre graphics wise. Expand
  47. Dave
    Mar 26, 2005
    An amazing game all-around, great physics great ai AMAZING graphics and an interesting and fun storyline.
  48. JethroI.
    Apr 11, 2005
    This game is great.
  49. TimN.
    Apr 29, 2005
    Amazing graphics and imersion. Easily the best looking FPS of all time. Also comes with Counter-Strike: Source...it's like getting two grade A games in one!
  50. ChuckH.
    May 19, 2005
    This is the greatest game I have ever had the pleasure to play. Simple as that. Can't wait for the expansion pack.
  51. SamF.
    Jul 28, 2005
    If You enjoy First Person Shooters then look no further. HL2 Not only has great AI But also has graphics that will make you think its Photorealistic. This is true especially for the Sewer Section that shows off the Water Effects and Ground with such detail it must be seen to be believed. The Only Negative is the installation which can take nearly 3 hours because not only do you have to If You enjoy First Person Shooters then look no further. HL2 Not only has great AI But also has graphics that will make you think its Photorealistic. This is true especially for the Sewer Section that shows off the Water Effects and Ground with such detail it must be seen to be believed. The Only Negative is the installation which can take nearly 3 hours because not only do you have to install 5 CD'S But you must Register through steam, it Must verify the keyCode and Decrypt files and then Update Steam Files and Then Update The Game itself. Valve after getting Burned by its code being stolen has made a foolproof method that almost no one can Get past. Each CD-Key must be Unique and Acompany a unique Screenname. This info is sent to Steam and if both are new it will Decript the game for play. This makes it Impossible to sell/buy a used Title. once you get past installation you will be rewarded witha great FPS that has all the fun of the First game with Much Better Graphics and Physics. A must have for any Fan. Expand
  52. RyanP.
    Jul 31, 2005
    Excellent game, superb graphics & a great storyline.
  53. BenG.
    Aug 24, 2005
    This is one of the best games ever. I dont really understand why everone hates steam so much. It didnt cause me any trouble. Even if it did that doesnt make the game any worse.
  54. SebastianB.
    Nov 12, 2006
    Extremly entertaining game with great graphics and physics!
  55. LukeM.
    Nov 2, 2006
  56. TheMagicalHippieKiller
    Nov 29, 2006
    It is very rare for a game to have a story that people actaully care about. But I kinda stopped caring after I entered City 17. Half-life! Kinda Crazy, a little Creepy (little), pretty inventive (it's great that people will state how much they hate the orginal, but how many games have since added its elements to their own. How many heros can you name with a super suit with shields?) It is very rare for a game to have a story that people actaully care about. But I kinda stopped caring after I entered City 17. Half-life! Kinda Crazy, a little Creepy (little), pretty inventive (it's great that people will state how much they hate the orginal, but how many games have since added its elements to their own. How many heros can you name with a super suit with shields?) The gameplay is ok, but I wasn't interested in being a lame knock-off of neo from the matrix in glasses, i wanted to shoot aliens. Instead, we get the stupid ai combine, who will run from a grenade and straight into your fire. The puzzles are also just them showing off their new physics and gravity gun. By the way, the gravity gun is stupid. There. I said it. Shotgun rules ( even though it was downgraded... actually, ALL the weapons were downgraded) because this game is not much differen than the original: run forward, solve puzzles, and you'll rarely fight in large arenas, just close quarters. The dialouge scenes are annoying and way to long. Other than that, good graphics and pretty gripping gameplay, save the lack of variation amongst the enemies. Wait! There is one more bad thing. Ravenholm=not scary and pointless. This level was just an excuse for the gravity gun, but a handy crowbar, shotgun, and .357 are actually the best weapons, at least for me. Hopefully they will be more creative in the future and stop trying to make another bad post-apocalpyse-revelution-thing that we've all seen 1,000 times over. The game is very intense at points. Really intense. Ever try fighting a helicopter with a pistol in a radiated canal? Well, life gets a helluva lot worse for Mr. Freeman later on, but for us, it's pretty damn fun. Keep making stuff like that. Expand
  57. DirkM.
    Oct 17, 2006
    Great game! The best of them all! The physics are sooo real, that you think you're in the game yourself! I love this game!
  58. GordonJ.
    Dec 10, 2006
    Adicting story, sexy graphics, realistic physics, realistic environment. Main character has same name as me. So it feels as though they're I'm really part of the game "Come on Gordon!" I play through it at the very least once a month.
  59. PeterH.
    Dec 12, 2006
    Absolutly bloody amazin! Perfect sequal to the original Half-Life valve have done it again, pitty it only taken then like 5 years to produce this masterpiece. Graphics: Truely Amazin - even on the worst settings, but phonomanal on the highest. Shaddows, objects, faces buildings, all detailed to impress, and it does that!! Game-Play: Brilliant, the physics in the game are realistic, solve Absolutly bloody amazin! Perfect sequal to the original Half-Life valve have done it again, pitty it only taken then like 5 years to produce this masterpiece. Graphics: Truely Amazin - even on the worst settings, but phonomanal on the highest. Shaddows, objects, faces buildings, all detailed to impress, and it does that!! Game-Play: Brilliant, the physics in the game are realistic, solve realistic problems and travel a vast distance in order to complete the game. weeks of fun if the difficultly level is increased. Overall this is the best Half-Life game to be released to date. Good job by Valve. Expand
  60. NalRecords
    Dec 2, 2006
    The best game I've ever played. Great history, great graphics, great playability, great everithing.
  61. PrzemekX.
    Dec 21, 2006
    Fantastic game, plot well .. like reading a good book 10/10 nothing add nothing take away !
  62. MaxV.
    Dec 22, 2006
    It's got it all. Flexible engine that allows for great puzzles The whole range of AI. From guntooting grunts to raving zombies. Dynamic sounds that just adds to the gritty visuals of a worn and conquered planet. The first good female NPC performance, ever. So why not a full 10? Well I do believe that games should be an alternative to movies, not it's replacement. A tad less It's got it all. Flexible engine that allows for great puzzles The whole range of AI. From guntooting grunts to raving zombies. Dynamic sounds that just adds to the gritty visuals of a worn and conquered planet. The first good female NPC performance, ever. So why not a full 10? Well I do believe that games should be an alternative to movies, not it's replacement. A tad less linear or even the illusion of open-ended gameplay would have pushed it all the way to the top. Expand
  63. AaronB.
    Dec 27, 2006
    Still after almost still two years after release. This is still the best playing best looking first person shooter out there. Even better than the newer FPS's like FEAR, Gears and Prey.
  64. JackH.
    Dec 28, 2006
    This game has extreme graphics beyond anything I have ever seen on the PC. My graphics card is not really the best top of the range one and I can still get amazing graphics even though my FPS can be low at times.
  65. BernieM.
    Dec 28, 2006
    This game has been pretty good and the graphics shocked when i first saw me. It was shock for me because i had a really good computer, but a really bad graphic card. So I decided to stop playing knight Online and games with that graphic quality. With a bit of luck, i could buy a radeon 800x graphics card, and i started playing 1st person shooter games. This game lost a point from me This game has been pretty good and the graphics shocked when i first saw me. It was shock for me because i had a really good computer, but a really bad graphic card. So I decided to stop playing knight Online and games with that graphic quality. With a bit of luck, i could buy a radeon 800x graphics card, and i started playing 1st person shooter games. This game lost a point from me because you needed to load all the areas of the game. Each time you finish an area (like the strider battle in ¨Follow Freeman¨ you needed to load the next area. The gamplay of this game has been also perfect, very smooth moving, (Not such as Halo that you felt ¨a little heavy¨) and the vehicle driving is also very good, very comfortable. Regards Bernie Malay PS: I hope they upload the loading problem! Expand
  66. KinimodH.
    Dec 28, 2006
    Half-Life² is THE Game which ruled everything. I played Half-Life too, like the one user, which said HL² was boring. IT is COMPLETELY different to HL BUT the game has improved, it shows up new faccettes of the game snd that is the most relevant thing. I liked the boat Part and the Part in which you drove the car. This was somthing new to the Half-Life series. In HL1 You just Half-Life² is THE Game which ruled everything. I played Half-Life too, like the one user, which said HL² was boring. IT is COMPLETELY different to HL BUT the game has improved, it shows up new faccettes of the game snd that is the most relevant thing. I liked the boat Part and the Part in which you drove the car. This was somthing new to the Half-Life series. In HL1 You just hopped into an Train and drove this way ... BORING... but to drive your way yourself ... GREAT !!!! For all Real Action Fans , there was the RAVENHOLM and NOVBA PROSPECT Part., IT is the BEST GAME EVER and Half-Life series will improve further and rule the Gaming industry with every new part. Expand
  67. Bob
    Oct 23, 2006
    Very excellent graphics, extremely enthralling gameplay.
  68. LeeM.
    Oct 24, 2006
    This game really opened up alot of things to advanced Gaming. Everything on this game is perfect in my opinion. The Graphics is unbelievable! Its as if playing in real life... Imagine Virtual Reality becoming like this? The game play on this game was excellent as well! I was given a lot of challenges to face! Overall, Im impressed with this game and hope that an Episode "2" comes out. This game really opened up alot of things to advanced Gaming. Everything on this game is perfect in my opinion. The Graphics is unbelievable! Its as if playing in real life... Imagine Virtual Reality becoming like this? The game play on this game was excellent as well! I was given a lot of challenges to face! Overall, Im impressed with this game and hope that an Episode "2" comes out. Episode 1 was great as well! Expand
  69. AJAlifimoff
    Dec 5, 2006
    This game has spawned many different mods. The source engine was well designed, and as stated previously, due to the number of modifications, this game has given itself a place in history. The AI was the only downside, but it was still well made. The story-line was compelling, the mapping was great, and the scripting was great. The engine is the best part of the entire game. A player can This game has spawned many different mods. The source engine was well designed, and as stated previously, due to the number of modifications, this game has given itself a place in history. The AI was the only downside, but it was still well made. The story-line was compelling, the mapping was great, and the scripting was great. The engine is the best part of the entire game. A player can spend hours messing around with the grav-gun and still discover new tricks. Expand
  70. NickP.
    Mar 24, 2006
    The best game i have ever played. and the best game to date kicking halos ass
  71. SergeB.
    Mar 24, 2006
    Excellent, HDR excellent, storyline excellent, gameplay and graphics just superb... i guess what's next ey..lol :D
  72. MikeB.
    Mar 24, 2006
    Best game you'll ever play, Valve makes their games worth buying for sure. Everyone owns a copy of it. Keep up the good work Valve
  73. ArthurP.
    Mar 25, 2006
    Fantastic; the the best game ever made, I enjoy a lot playing it.
  74. TadL.
    Mar 26, 2006
    Great atmosphere. Innovative use of physics. Fun.
  75. AnonymousMC
    Mar 26, 2006
    i gave it a ten, this is my opinion (i'm not just saying it to follow the crowd). I look beyond the fact that steam screwed most of you into giving it a 0, this game had alot of outstanding realism and a great puzzle style of game play but i guess that some of you may be a little to ignorant or dumb to actually spend time playing a game you cant beat in an hour. it deserves a ten andi gave it a ten, this is my opinion (i'm not just saying it to follow the crowd). I look beyond the fact that steam screwed most of you into giving it a 0, this game had alot of outstanding realism and a great puzzle style of game play but i guess that some of you may be a little to ignorant or dumb to actually spend time playing a game you cant beat in an hour. it deserves a ten and you know it so quit acting like its not that great just because it wont work on your PC Expand
  76. JamesD.
    Mar 29, 2006
    A classic come back for round two;If you don't own HL2, Your obviously not an FPS gamer, and are missing an excellent introduction to the genre.
  77. ArtK.
    Apr 11, 2006
    A great first-person shooter game with an unbeliaveble enviorment and MAYBE best game graphics. The game play is good too but really easy. It is interesting, exciting, creative but has no challenge. The game is missing a "easy-hard" scale. Overall great game to play with top graphics and top plot.
  78. AnonymousMC
    Apr 23, 2006
    Quit Hyping up how great Far Cry is over Half Life 2. I bought Far Cry because a friend told me how awesome it was. The highest graphics settings on Far Cry slow my Pc Down but the graphics on Half Life 2 Do not. The cutscenes for Far Cry are short and choppy and the character acting is bad, they do not model how humans really move when they talk (Half Life 2 does and everyone knowsQuit Hyping up how great Far Cry is over Half Life 2. I bought Far Cry because a friend told me how awesome it was. The highest graphics settings on Far Cry slow my Pc Down but the graphics on Half Life 2 Do not. The cutscenes for Far Cry are short and choppy and the character acting is bad, they do not model how humans really move when they talk (Half Life 2 does and everyone knows it). Far cry would make even Carlos Mencia say "Nuh na NUuuuUuUh !!!" The game play sucks so badly that i wonder why i even bought the game. You are supposed to be able to sneak through the jungle and silently kill opponents. Um so why don't I have a silencer and as far as i know there is no meelee button. Also, why am I such a pansy in Far Cry that i can not even fire my weapon when i am on the surface of the water? If you want a real jungle sneeking game with great story, buy a playstation 2 and get Metal Gear Sold 3. People are also talking about how Half Life 2 is repeatable through certain sections if you play them over and over. My friend died three times at that massive turret on that part where you are taking the airboat to Eli's and you have to explode the barrels to knock open a gate. Each time he played the section against that combine soldier, the soldier ended up in three different places when my friend crouched behind tha cart and slowly pushed it toward him. On another part when you are escaping the combine in the train tunnels my friend looked down the hallway and saw a combine soldier next to an exploding barrel that was knocked over. He went to the wall to get some health and when he went back to go kill the soldier, we saw him pushing an exploding barrel down the hall towards him. Now i haven't played doom 3 or quake but what other AI does this? What about the Zombies who through barrels and crates at you? I didn't expect that.

Bottom line is that Half Life 2 has great graphics without compromising performance and all you people need to get off of your Far Cry trip.
  79. DanielM.
    Apr 29, 2006
    This game is mind blowing peace of art! Everyone should play this gorgeus game!
  80. AdamG.
    May 13, 2006
    Fantastic Game, intuitive gameplay, illuminating textures, and exceptional physics. Only bad point was the poorly responsive AI.
  81. AnonymousMC
    May 17, 2006
    Oh my goodness! half life 2 is THE most fun i have ever had in a game . the physics are fantastic and are fun to play with. the storyline is scary and graphics go along way in expressing the feel of the game . THIS IS THE BEST GAME
  82. AnonymousMC
    May 18, 2006
    It's a great game if you have the right stuff. I'm really not sure why everyone is comparing this to Far-Cry thousands of times, I have viewed textures, graphics and such: overall, if you can run Half-Life 2 without what probably 50% of the lower rated poster's computers are, preferably horrible 4200 Dells, Half-Life 2 is immense and the graphics are well made and justIt's a great game if you have the right stuff. I'm really not sure why everyone is comparing this to Far-Cry thousands of times, I have viewed textures, graphics and such: overall, if you can run Half-Life 2 without what probably 50% of the lower rated poster's computers are, preferably horrible 4200 Dells, Half-Life 2 is immense and the graphics are well made and just awesome. And since when does a shooter have to be so in particularly be a completely realistic in an environment of the jungle, or some place on Mars, or some really dumb variation of L.A? (I'm looking at you, Bloodlines.) What happened to the good old shooters like Metal Slug, hm? Sure, they weren't packed to their necks with plasma decentigration balls, dual powered shotguns, MP7's, or hoverboats, but what it the issue? Even if you count out the puzzles and map designs (Which, by the way, are practically flawless compared to some of the garbage I've seen from Halo and many other First Persons) the gameplay still heads in the correct direction. Then, complaints on the squads and commands; let me address that you don't even need squads if you're playing on normal, let alone easy. If just having some rebel guy following you and you press 'c' at the ground in front of you, he'll go. I found barely any uses of teamwork, with the exception of Grigori or Alyx, the special NPCs.
    What sort of makes me mad too is the fact people continue to say 'this game is overrated', 'this game is behind its time', 'this game is crap no thanks to Steam', personally, these are whiny comments. First of all, the game would probably not be overrated, if it weren't for the 2003 hacking. Second, it would not of been behind its time. If I do recall, some companies found part of the coding and used it for their own games. Next to that, the physics engine was remarkable for what it was way back when, when it drove awe into the people who watched E3 and the beta clips. I'm not sure what's wrong with registering to Steam either: You simply install the game, which takes NOT 4 hours, it takes 10 to 15 minutes before for my old, lousy Dell. Then you register the game, which shouldn't even take that long, if 3 minutes counts as yet another sarcastic 1 hour. If it takes the person installing Half-Life 2 at least 4 hours, then your computer dates back to the days Half-Life 1 could run on those awesome Pentium 1 Windows 93 computers. And complaining of load times? Get a computer upgrade, stop whining. If you save some money for at least 3 months, you could get a gigabyte of ram and a GeForce 7300 at its cheapest.
    Enough complaining, it's time to get on to Half-Life 2, and what it brought, and would of brought to this generation. I applaud Valve for simply releasing this; I was almost doubting a real release at all due to the beta hack. The guns, if I say, are awesome. The MP7 I would delightfully switch with an MP5K anyday, though.
  83. DanG.
    May 18, 2006
    The most amazingly realistic and engrosing game to come along in ages. HL2 is one for the history books!
  84. GeorgeZ.
    May 22, 2006
    this is the best game i have ever played, it has excellent storyline, non-stop action, suspense, and excellent. this game will keep any gamer playing for hours!
  85. EvanC.
    May 23, 2006
    This is a great game. I really like we dont go to raven holm. It had a nice element of realism.
  86. SamN.
  87. GarrettW.
    May 23, 2006
    Awsome game, awsome story but playing it makes me nauseous just because it's very fast and with alot of movement.
  88. AnthonyD.
    May 24, 2006
    I loved the game however I was disappointed with the ending of it.
  89. BalazsS.
    May 28, 2006
    Incredible! What I didn't like that there are only a few monsters in the game and the ending is a slapdash work not to mention the weapons.
  90. LukeM.
    May 28, 2006
  91. DrewS.
    May 31, 2006
    It may be impossible to match the ambience this game created.
  92. AnonymousMC
    Jun 11, 2006
    The push back in dates were disappointing. And so was the ending. STEAM blows unless you have the right equipment for it. But throughout the bad ending and STEAM not delivering what I so rightly deserved [I bought the game], the gameplay, the graphics, and the all out layout of this game made every bad detail worth it. I give it a 10. 9 wouldn't do it. Anything lower would be a littleThe push back in dates were disappointing. And so was the ending. STEAM blows unless you have the right equipment for it. But throughout the bad ending and STEAM not delivering what I so rightly deserved [I bought the game], the gameplay, the graphics, and the all out layout of this game made every bad detail worth it. I give it a 10. 9 wouldn't do it. Anything lower would be a little [okay, a lot] unjust. It isn't perfect, but for todays standards, this game left me breathless, and it left me for me. Like a game should. Similar to God of War. Gameplay kept me hooked, the storyline going somewhere, the graphics were, dare I say, orgasmic. Hats off to you Valve. And STEAM, fix yourself up. The HL series lost fans to you, but fans loyal enough stayed with it and say the same as I. Can't wait for what else you have in store.

- Always waiting,
    [ e X i l e ]
  93. MichaelP.
    Jun 15, 2006
    Exciting, edge-of-your seat game that immerses you in the very realistic, alternate world of Gordon Freeman.
  94. GraemS.
    Jun 19, 2006
    A very gripping experience, taking you through this futuristic underground railroad. The ammunition capacity is realistic, the length of the game is great, the sound is pretty cool, and the graphics are near top-notch. But them greatest of all is the story. This game has one of the most fantastic and entertaining stories I have ever experienced! This is a truly revolutionary game, (in A very gripping experience, taking you through this futuristic underground railroad. The ammunition capacity is realistic, the length of the game is great, the sound is pretty cool, and the graphics are near top-notch. But them greatest of all is the story. This game has one of the most fantastic and entertaining stories I have ever experienced! This is a truly revolutionary game, (in terms of enjoyment) and should not be missed by anyone who enjoys the genre(s). The great thing about the Source engine is that you can be playing off of a medium-low end computer and still enjoy decent gameplay. But if you want to max it out, I recommend using a quality rig. ottom line: This is a fantastic, amazing, enthralling, and revolutionary game. Expand
  95. AnonymousMC
    Jun 24, 2006
    What is it about hl2 that makes it so awesome? The fact that every aspects of a good fps has been covered, from graphics to puzzles, and presented masterfully. Furthermore, unlike other games, the requirements we'rnt high upon release, i ran it on a ti4200 and 2.4 gig p4 and it still looks fantastic. Episode one rocked too, so keep it up!
  96. DeanM.
    Jun 26, 2006
    the variety of half life with less obvious puzzle tedium. graphics have made the game even more immersive than the original. oh and giving it a permanent place in my heart.
  97. BrandonR.
    Jul 11, 2006
    Perfect by comparison to other FPS games, HL2 is the best game to ever hit the PC. It engages the player through so many different levels - everything from the anticipation of fear to the fun of using military tactics to command your team of resistence volunteers against an alien-dominating society. Nothing better than HL2 has yet been produced to date.
  98. TomppaHakla
    Jul 15, 2006
    This is the best action shooter game ever!!! Nice graphic's and NICE STORY!!! i can't stop foe playing this again and again and again..
  99. MatheusR.
    Jul 19, 2006
    the best game i see in my life.
  100. SamN.
    Jul 23, 2006
  101. Dec 19, 2012
    Half-Life 2 is probably my favourite game of all time. There's nothing else like it. By today's standards it may seem slightly cliche', but Half-Life 2 was the most ground-breaking game of the decade, it innovated and created the standards that newer games have since followed. I've played through it 5 times, each as enjoyable as the last. It's not just a game, it's a legacy. The sourceHalf-Life 2 is probably my favourite game of all time. There's nothing else like it. By today's standards it may seem slightly cliche', but Half-Life 2 was the most ground-breaking game of the decade, it innovated and created the standards that newer games have since followed. I've played through it 5 times, each as enjoyable as the last. It's not just a game, it's a legacy. The source engine has branched off in so many amazing new areas following Half-Life 2. The modding community is like no other. Really, I just love it and everything about it. Collapse

3. Playboy