Half-Life 2 PC

9.2

1. Feb 6, 2016
    Best PC Game ever. As in, perfect. As in, no remotely close second. I still own new games I bought in the last couple of YEARS that I've never got around to even installing, because I keep playing through Half-life 2, over and over, every twice a year at least. A legendary masterpiece.

Welcome to City 17, it's safer here.....
  2. Feb 6, 2016
    Simplicity and clarity, that's what make this game great. Wasn't too scary but story line and characters (including the one you play and says nothing) are those you miss a long time after.
  3. Feb 2, 2016
    Although Gordon Freeman is still a quiet guy, Half-Life 2 is an unforgettable title to say out loud when someone wants to know about the best game of 2004, or maybe, of all time.
  4. Feb 1, 2016
    i just buy and played this game maybe... 7 month ago? whatever.
    this game is very good but..
    sometimes i have lose way, and i'm losing way, i fell something horror,, and horror sound
    i hate that sound :(
  5. Jan 18, 2016
    An awesome atmosphere, funny gameplay, intruiging story...
    A very submersive game
    that should be played by anyone,despite genre preferences ( I normally don't like FPS games).
    Just play it.
  6. Jan 9, 2016
    An achievement of gaming history that has yet to be topped. Never has a game riveted me or affected me emotionally as Half-Life 2 has. It is one of the very best video games ever made.
  7. Jan 8, 2016
    Even in 2016, this game still stands up well against its modern equivalents as it is. It can be further enhanced with a few good mods to improve the graphics etc.
  8. Jan 2, 2016
    To get things straight, Half-Life 2 more of a 9.9 out of 10 for me, just because of the amazing story, graphics, physics, characters, game play, etc... Quite ground breaking, so close to perfect. But one TEENY tiny problem I had with the game, and the series as a whole, is that it was just so grim, scary, creepy and depressing, that it created the sort of game that once you were doneTo get things straight, Half-Life 2 more of a 9.9 out of 10 for me, just because of the amazing story, graphics, physics, characters, game play, etc... Quite ground breaking, so close to perfect. But one TEENY tiny problem I had with the game, and the series as a whole, is that it was just so grim, scary, creepy and depressing, that it created the sort of game that once you were done playing it, you'd never want to go back and play it again... Ravenholm was so damn freaky, and all the environments was so bleak that you almost got the sense that you were stuck in a world that was no longer worth fighting for. Expand
  9. Dec 17, 2015
    One of my favourite games, I will never EVER forget the times I've had with this game. So many childhood memories from this game with my Dad that I will take to the grave. The gameplay is superb with great levels and a phenomenal soundtrack. The story whilst weak, is very interesting and will engross you for the entire game. This is one of the few games I will consider a masterpiece.
  10. Dec 11, 2015
    Valve needs to make something more like this. Indeed a masterpeice. Exited for HL3. With more physics, stuffs like that, makes this very unique. Best game.
  11. Dec 5, 2015
    Melhor jogo da Steam e o Melhor Jogo de Pc Melhor Jogo ja feito no Planeta Melhor jogo que o Deus Gaben fez Melhor Jogo que ja existiu no planeta terra
  12. Dec 1, 2015
    Here is a game that I still play in 2015. The game is absolutely fantastic and it gives you the feeling of being an outlaw to the powers that be. If you like a dystopia meets alien invasion meets fps shooter meets puzzle game then you will love this game. Here's hoping that Half Life 3 comes out in the next century!
  13. Nov 29, 2015
    Shortly before typing this review up, I had completed Half-Life 2 for the first time. As a modern gamer who has played most of the top-rated games out there, I was curious about this title. Gradually, it blew me away

Initially, I thought that the game was overrated. Considering I haven't played Half-Life 1, the game was a bit unappealing. Take that with the gunplay being a bit on the plain side, and I thought I was in for a long haul of datedness. I deleted the game and forgot about it for months. But when I played it for the second time, its constantly thrilling gunplay, well-made levels, weird & wonderful creatures and lively animations opened up to me.

The game did many things opposing the norm: no cutscenes, physics-based puzzles in an FPS game, and ahead-of-its-time graphics and mechanics. The physics are still better than most games today and killing hundreds upon hundreds of enemies doesn't get repetitive as you might think because of it.

Its story polarized me. Upon perusing Half-Life 1's synopsis, the story became very interesting. I just wish there was more of it. The game seems to focus more on gameplay and environments, as you blast and drive your way through the Combine. Speaking of that, the universe boasts a fascinating backdrop that treats its audience intelligently, letting you figure out the state of the world yourself. That's something you rearely see in games before or since HL2 came out.

I agree that Half-Life 2 is one of the best FPSs of all-time, and to an extent, one of the greatest overall games. On the other hand, I do think that people mostly attribute this because of HL2's revolutionary influence. I know you can say the same about the film Citizen Kane, but I think that films don't get as dated as video games, since they are not virtually produced. I may not think that this game is top 10-20 worthy, but I have put it in my top 40 almost instantly, just like how I completed the game. The game does grab you, and surely enough, the experience is nearly as powerful as a headcrab grabbing you. You try to run, but the thing leaps on to you, and you're stuck in its immense grasp.
  14. Nov 22, 2015
    Geriausias visų laikų žaidimas, ką čia daugiau ir bepasakysi... Net ir šiandien lygių jam, praktiškai nėra. O gaila, galėtų sukurt kažką tokio kaip Half Life 3...
  15. Nov 19, 2015
    Half-Life 2 has a great storyline, interesting characters and decent graphics for 2004. What the game lacks is voice for the protagonist, much like GTA 3. Half-Life 2 also has some hard puzzles that I couldnt solve that took alot of time. Half-Life 2 also has a free add-on, a tech demo "Lost Coast". Half-Life 2 is a great game, even though there is a few hard puzzles and the Source engineHalf-Life 2 has a great storyline, interesting characters and decent graphics for 2004. What the game lacks is voice for the protagonist, much like GTA 3. Half-Life 2 also has some hard puzzles that I couldnt solve that took alot of time. Half-Life 2 also has a free add-on, a tech demo "Lost Coast". Half-Life 2 is a great game, even though there is a few hard puzzles and the Source engine dosent age, so this game is worth buying. Expand
  16. Nov 18, 2015
    This game is beautiful.

Amazing level design? Check. Amazing characters? Check. Fun gameplay? Check. Good story? Check. Crowbar? Check Half Life 3 Confirmed? Maybe... The one thing that holds this back from being a 10/10 is that, well to put it simply, there is zero replay value. Once you beat it, you beat it. No point in going back really, unless you want to just play the game
    This game is beautiful.

Amazing level design? Check.
    Amazing characters? Check.
    Fun gameplay? Check.
    Good story? Check.
    Crowbar? Check
    Half Life 3 Confirmed? Maybe...

The one thing that holds this back from being a 10/10 is that, well to put it simply, there is zero replay value. Once you beat it, you beat it. No point in going back really, unless you want to just play the game again.

Still an amazing game though.
  17. Nov 14, 2015
    Timeless. Still fresh and original in 2015. Excellent art design, innovative levels, immersive story line, great sound & voices, bad ass music... classic FPS absolute gem, The best one to date imo. This blew my mind when it came out. If any one game deserves a straight 10/10, it's Half life 2. Do yourself a favor and grab a copy of this (or the orange box)
  18. Nov 14, 2015
    Half-Life 2, what to say? It's been out for over 11 years, what else is there to say?

Graphics 9/10: For a retro game made in 2004, the graphics do hold up well. Despite being very, very dated. GamePlay 10/10: So Half-Life 2 is a first-person shooter, but like the original Half-Life, it's not just, "Oh I gOt AlL tHe NoScOpEs!!!!" It's fun, encourages exploration, and the A.I. Is

GamePlay 10/10: So Half-Life 2 is a first-person shooter, but like the original Half-Life, it's not just, "Oh I gOt AlL tHe NoScOpEs!!!!" It's fun, encourages exploration, and the A.I. Is amazing.

Story 8/10: It's good enough. Basically this alien race known as the Combine wants to eradicate humanity.
    Simple as that.

Sound & Music 6/10: Is this really that important? I mean, the sound-track is good, but nothing special.

Multi-Player N/A: Half-Life 2 has no multi-player, so it wouldn't be fair to rate.

Overall, Half-Life 2 has held up very well over a decade, and is very fun to the end.
  19. Nov 13, 2015
    Best game ever. Graphics and physics from 2004 and is still better than a lot of games. And a cool story. I hope Valve will make Half Life 3 someday...
  20. Nov 12, 2015
    I do not enjoy this game that much but i do understand how people do enjoy it.
    I think it is overated but is by no means a bad game.
    Overall a pretty good game
  21. Nov 9, 2015
    After many years this game still makes me play it, Its amazing how it makes you feel special like youre the chosen one and the story that makes you wanna save humanity from those aliens that are destroying our homes the beauty of the graphics and easy and fast learning mechanic's its overall the best game 10/10.
  22. Nov 8, 2015
    This game rocks. Nice character and nice story. I like that you can take things and can throw that at enemies. The only thing that is not so good is that are to many loading sequences but does not matter. It is worthwile in any case anyway.
  23. Nov 2, 2015
    One of the best games ever even after 10 years of the release. The graphics, the physics, the caracters everything is perfect in this game. Hopefully the 3rd part will be announced soon.
  24. Nov 1, 2015
    When half life 2 came out (2004) i wasnt into video games , in 2014 i wanted to see why all the people talked so much about this game so i played and they where right, this game is amazing and also i understand that even today a lot of games that came after steal/borrow a lot of things from this game.
  25. Oct 31, 2015
    this game is one of the best games ever made, words cant describe the beauty of this game,gameplay,story,atmosphere all 3 in 1 and more please buy it it is a fine choice
  26. Oct 30, 2015
    Best Game Ever !!!! Song:10/10, Graphics:10/10, History:10/10, ALL:10/10.... Buy this game and i wait you review !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i Love Valve.
  27. Oct 27, 2015
    Very addictive game. Graphics, gameplay mechanics still better than games of 2015 year. This game tasty like roasted bacon :D Must have in your game collection. GOTY 4EVER
  28. Oct 26, 2015
    Guys just admit it,this game is overrated,It has a boring story,characters look awful,little enemies,nothing to see here. I was really dissapointed that this game is so bad. Such a shame for PC.
  29. Oct 14, 2015
    Freakishly addicting, advanced physics engine, miraculous sound design and voice acting, ZERO annoying cut-scenes, the freaking-gravity-gun, Antlion army, Alyx, the tour of the citadel, action, horror, mystery, twists, more than 12 hours of non-stop action, puzzles, killing and planning... can see how it's the greatest game of all times.
  30. Oct 12, 2015
    Half-Life 2 was the only game that has ever made me cry because it was so beautifully made. I can say with honor that this game has TRULY changed the way I think and has changed my life forever. I want to thank valve for this truly glorious title and hope that they bring Half-Life 3 to the table in the future.

Praise GabeN.
  31. Oct 4, 2015
    One of the best games ever :) Everything is great. The AI is one of the best os all times, the graphics are amazing even now, the physics, well, brilliant. Valve is one of a kinds in video games
  32. Sep 25, 2015
    The most overhyped game ever. Much worse than the original, instead of the varied aliens, you will mostly face human soldiers. Boring. On top of this, levels are counter-intuitive, easy to get lost and not find the way forward. Black Mesa in HL1 was an exciting place, compared to that, the levels are bland and uninteresting. Play the original instead, that is much better.
  33. Sep 11, 2015
    This game, OH MY GOD, this game is really the best game ever made in video game history. If you hate this game then you aren't a real gamer because this is game of all years! Nice graphics, fun gameplay, good physicals, and just overall really fun as ****
  34. Aug 17, 2015
    Still the best FPS of all time even after 11 years, the story, gameplay, even graphics but that is the least thing you need to worry when you have all this. Oh also some puzzles were very hard to complete when I played the game first time, know I have lost count how many times I have played it :)
    P.S. Still waiting for HL3
  35. Aug 2, 2015
    Fantastic atmosphere, great graphics that stands the test of time, great storyline, intelligent puzzles and a lot of action make Half-Life 2 one of the best FPS games ever. I liked the classic first part too but this is the one that really made me a fan.
  36. Jul 12, 2015
    Half-Life 2 is an absolutely amazing video game by all standards. The first installment of the series alone was ground-breaking, and the addition of Half-Life 2 only adds to Valve's reputation of delivering riveting story. Although the Half-Life franchise is not what brought the idea of first person shooters to the market, it is sure well known for it's delivery and performance in the FPSHalf-Life 2 is an absolutely amazing video game by all standards. The first installment of the series alone was ground-breaking, and the addition of Half-Life 2 only adds to Valve's reputation of delivering riveting story. Although the Half-Life franchise is not what brought the idea of first person shooters to the market, it is sure well known for it's delivery and performance in the FPS category. Half-Life 2 is also enjoyed widely not only for it's first person aspect, but for countless other reasons, a big one being the soundtrack. Expand
  37. Jul 5, 2015
    I played this game 11 years after release and it is amazing. Now I understand why is it called one of the best(if not the best) first person shooter on PC. Must play for PC gamers.
  38. Jul 1, 2015
    One of the best FPS games ever made,the Source engine seems nice even in 2015.THE STORY is brilliant. Half-Life saga is the best set of games ever created.
  39. Jun 28, 2015
    Half-Life 2
    The standard for first person shooters
    Hype can ruin your experience with a game. The higher the hype, the higher the expectations, and rarely does anything live up to it’s hype. Half-Life 2 however, does. Half- Life 2 is a near perfect first person shooter with star wars level of innovation. I didn’t really understand what was going on in the game and why it was going
    Half-Life 2
    The standard for first person shooters
    Hype can ruin your experience with a game.
    Half-Life 2 however, does.
    I didn’t really understand what was going on in the game and why it was going on.
    The story and its characters couldn’t keep my attention at all, everything pertaining to the story seemed so generic to me, luckily though the gameplay is good enough on its own to take you through the 10 plus hour journey.
    Half-Life 2 is a very linear game, but at the same time every section of the game feels connected, it feels open world… you hardly ever feel like you are bread crumbed to the finish.. When you find passages you feel like it was your work, when really the game cleverly got you there with its carefully constructed design.
    The pacing is nearly perfect
    you’re slowly hand fed new weapons..
    you’ll get to a point in the game where you’re introduced to a new weapon and then instantly have to use it for what its intended for, this is a perfect way to get you accustomed to and comfortable with everything at your disposal and prevent you from wasting unnecessary ammo.
    There wasn’t one weapon or item given that I wasn’t thankful for or that I didn’t find useful.
    This is great considering you’ll find yourself in some spots out of a particular set of ammo.
    The game play is also varied, so you’re not quite sure what to expect.
    Some games find a formula and stick to it.
    Half Life 2 doesn’t do this
    one minute you’re playing a stealth shooter, the next moment you’re playing call of duty style taking out troops, and 2 hours later you’re cruising through the world with vehicle based combat only to end up at a horror game style section
    This variation keeps the game from ever feeling like a grind, but at the same time the stress is kept at a near maximum.
    You won’t find too much challenge outside of the final few chapters, but the constant feeling of survival mode will definitely have you stepping away for a few hours or days.
    I now understand why everyone wants half-life 3 so bad.
    I loved climbing through every hole not knowing who or what would meet me on the other side.
    Half-Life 2 is a must play for gamers to experience the magic every developer has been chasing since 2004
    For what it is
    First person shooter – 9.5/10
    Overall: 9.5/10
  40. Jun 28, 2015
    Amazing game, it has great first person combat, great characters, great story, great variety of guns and still awesome graphics after over 10 years. A little repetitive at times though.
  41. Jun 23, 2015
    Nothing can rival this game, it's storytelling was amazing and perfectly pased. The graphics still stands strong to this day, the textures are amazing even today.
  42. Jun 21, 2015
    Please buy this game. it will benefit you and everyone you know by opening your eyes and teaching you about how great of a medium gaming can be if done correctly.
  43. Jun 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. >Walk a bit
    >Get suit
    >Shoot Combine Soldiers
    >Shoot Zombies
    >Shoot more Zombies
    >Shoot Combine Soldiers
    >Wait Alyx to finish talking for seven thousand years
    >More shooting
    >Shoot shooters
    >Shoot large-ass things
    >Shoot Combines
    >Shoot Combines and Zombies (COMBO)
    >Shoot large-ass Monster
    >Shoot uhh.-things
    >Explosion
    >End
    10/10 would shoot again
    (no seriously, this is not a joke, the game is like that and it is great this way.)
  44. Jun 10, 2015
    Even though i played it first 8 years after its initial release, i enjoyed the game thoroughly due to its beautiful marrying of story-telling and pacing. Sounds simple, but most games (almost all) miss this masterful harmony in their gameplay. Half-Life 2 does not let you rest until you finish it - always on the brink, always hurried on, always on the move, and always inside the story -Even though i played it first 8 years after its initial release, i enjoyed the game thoroughly due to its beautiful marrying of story-telling and pacing. Sounds simple, but most games (almost all) miss this masterful harmony in their gameplay. Half-Life 2 does not let you rest until you finish it - always on the brink, always hurried on, always on the move, and always inside the story - i as a player loved the experience. Expand
  45. Jun 9, 2015
    Ok, Freeman is my nickname for all time, but Half Life 2 is the best game ever ! The GOTY of all years.
    Valve, please, I can't wait a new Half Life 3 ... !

I love you Gordon !
  46. Jun 8, 2015
    Come on, is a review even necessary? It's freakin' HL2! Game of the decade, game of the year, and ton of other awards. The gameplay and story are great and the graphics still hold up today. Gordon Freeman is a boss, the voice acting is damn good, the weapons are great, especially the Gravity Gun, and the game is fairly challenging.

However the reason that I think that this is the

However the reason that I think that this is the greatest game ever made is not even because of the game itself, but because of its impact on the gaming world. Few games have better modding communities than this game. Gmod, The Stanley Parable, Fistful of Frags, and many others. The same argument could be made for HL1, but I think that HL2's modding community is more prevalent than its predecessor.

You are not a gamer if you don't play this game, in my opinion. Unfortunately, Gaben will never give us HL3 because he is too busy eating cupcakes and having sex with Steam's sales figures to continue making games, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't play this game. I give it a 100/10.
  47. Jun 1, 2015
    A excellent game. it merges gameplay and story almost flawlessly. It has interesting and likable characters and it stills holds up very well even by todays standards. This is a must buy.
  48. May 29, 2015
    Just about to relive the game 11 years later, the one known only as Half Life 2 which impacted the whole gaming industry. Even to this date it has some amazing graphics, and there are some great standalone mods such as No More Room In Hell and Double Action: Boogaloo which are made off of it. All I can wish for now is a Half Life 2: episode 3 or Half Life 3...
  49. May 24, 2015
    After completing the first Half-Life I was expecting great things from the second chapter, and in fact I was not disappointed. If Half-Life was a revolution, Half-Life 2 was more a further refinement of that revolution.

The consequence of this is that Half-Life 2 is significantly better than the first chapter, which was already a masterpiece. The most amazing thing of Half-Life 2 is, of course, the gameplay: for an fps is just perfect. Already the first chapter was very advanced for its time, but Half-Life 2 went even further. One example is the way the game has used physics (thanks to the Source Engine) to offer one of the best weapons in the history of video games: the Gravity Gun. The Gravity Gun is the apotheosis of all that an fps has to offer. It is a crude but powerful weapon, fun to use and above all original. It is an example of how everything around you, in a game, is alive if you only try to touch it. This, by the way, is also possible without Gravity Gun, but without it is less fun. Another way of how Half-Life 2 has pushed beyond the standards is the introduction of puzzle elements, simple but fun, in a context with which apparently had nothing to do. Place some batteries to provide power to a gate and open it, may seems like silly but not in an fps game. Even using the Gravity Gun to take a rotating blade, or an heavy box, and launching it against an enemy is the art of using the enviroment as a weapon, and it is fantastic.

Other weapons that have gave an higher gear to Half-Life 2 were some like the Pheropods to control Antlions, or the Overwatch Standard Issue Pulse Rifle. It is so cool aesthetically. And the way it shoots, the way it recharge as well. The secondary attack was brilliant and was based on a fantastic physics and bounce mechanism. It was a weapon really fun to use. Last but not least important step forward made by Half-Life 2 (and soon followed by fps games came later) was the introduction of large open spaces where the player could really feel free to move, to experiment, to explore. The difficulty level was generally good and the enemy AI was great and when they were in large groups could get you in trouble. Just perfect as I said.

Personally I found the story of Half-Life 2 fantastic and also higher than the story of the first chapter. The setting in Eastern Europe was really beautiful. The game begins exactly from where the first chapter ends, but compared to the first chapter, Half-Life 2 has brought up more raw and human issues such as slavery, despair, infertility, redemption and hope. I appreciated very much the vision that the game give of Gordon Freeman: his fate, his stasis and his connection with the G-Man, his return as a prophecy, his eyes green as hope, the man who goes back and saves the day, a man of few words as Alyx Vance said, The One Free Man (nice language-game with his own name). All this just to describe one of the greatest and most charismatic characters in video game history. A special praise goes to other characters in the game such as the G-Man, Eli and Alyx Vance, Dog, Dr. Breen and especially to the Combine that are among the greatest villains ever seen in a game.

The graphics of the game was impressive at the time, and it was even 10 years later when I played it. The Source Engine realized everything perfectly, from the characters to the environments, from weapons to the shadows. But what amazed me the most was the detail in the faces, facial expressions, dubbing and lip sync that were just perfect.

Half-Life 2 is a majestic game. Valve gave one of the examples of what can be done when the videoludic art pushes the limits in all its forms. A timeless classic.
  50. May 19, 2015
    Pros:
    + incredible pacing/level design
    + well thought out world
    + solid controls
    Cons:
    - lack of soundtrack
    - lackluster story

Final score: 7/10, 3/5
  51. May 11, 2015
    You always hear about Half-Life 2 and the claim that it is one of the best video games to date. I decided it was time to adventure through this game and see what the fuss was all about. This game is incredible in just about every aspect. Story was great and the gravity gun caused for some hell of a good time. Enjoyable tossing a saw blade through the air to slice people in half. Sadly IYou always hear about Half-Life 2 and the claim that it is one of the best video games to date. I decided it was time to adventure through this game and see what the fuss was all about. This game is incredible in just about every aspect. Story was great and the gravity gun caused for some hell of a good time. Enjoyable tossing a saw blade through the air to slice people in half. Sadly I didn't play the original Half-Life so I was a bit confused with the story at first, a recap or something would of been nice to give the player a chance to soak in everything that happened previously. After reading a article on Half Life it made a lot more sense. For a first person shooter this game had a crap ton of jump scares and points to make me gasp. Turning around to have a headcrab naw into your face or a fast moving zombie jump at you. The amount of shotgun shells wasted in fear
    Good Points: Gravity Gun.How well you could interact with the environment.
    Bad Points: Where was that romance with Alyx >.>
  52. May 1, 2015
    As far as shooters go (I have become disillusioned with shooters), this was pretty decent. Good story, variety of weapons, level design and flow. However, playing for longer than a few hours made me slightly nauseous from motion sickness and I have only encountered a handful of games that made me nauseous. So adjust FOV/head bob accordingly.
  53. Apr 29, 2015
    Probably one of the greatest games ever made, for any platform when it was released - It still holds up in 2015. Absolute must buy for PC gamers. The graphics have aged a little, but the games strengths lay in the unparalleled level design and fantastic atmosphere.
  54. Apr 25, 2015
    Incredibly good. Can't wait for half-life 2 episode 2 or half-life 3! Everyone should get this game and play it at least once. The negative reviews are stupid.
  55. Apr 18, 2015
    The Quintessential PC game every person must experience. Not only is this one of the best game of all time story wise, but at the time of release this game was also ahead of it's time with it's groundbreaking physics engine and graphical beauty.
  56. Apr 17, 2015
    The gameplay was completely ruined by the fact it's only single player. How can you truly enjoy a game with your friends all by yourself? Let your friends WATCH you play? Absurd. Need same room multiplayer!
  57. Apr 12, 2015
    The definition of the modern FPS. The accurate physics, the smooth graphics, the intriguing story-line and this game its greatest aspect, the level design. My god... the level design! this game definitely is the pinnacle of level design. The only ones who come close to its level (pun intended) are games that almost solely focus on this aspect, such as puzzle games (looking at you, Portal).The definition of the modern FPS. The accurate physics, the smooth graphics, the intriguing story-line and this game its greatest aspect, the level design. My god... the level design! this game definitely is the pinnacle of level design. The only ones who come close to its level (pun intended) are games that almost solely focus on this aspect, such as puzzle games (looking at you, Portal). Speaking of puzzles, HL 2's few physics based puzzles are simple and effective at giving a brief relaxation after the intense skirmishes. Looking at the actual shooter aspect, HL 2 more than passes the grade. Aiming is done without much difficulty and you are presented with a new gun type after a while which keeps things a little more interesting. The only flaw I could find was that controlling the vehicles went somewhat awkward, but you can't blame a game as old as this for that. This game is a solid 10, it definitely is one of the best game I ever played. Expand
  58. Apr 4, 2015
    Yo GUILHEREME ESTAS A LER ISTO THIS GAME IS ALRUGTH I like it so you now let's not say stuff about games you know just saying I'm gonna delete this cause I don't want to be banned.
  59. Mar 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is how fast paced FPS games should be done!

Pros:
    Fantastic Graphics (for the time)
    Excellent Enemy AI
    Facial and body animations
    Thrilling, fast paced gameplay and levels
    Solid shooting

Cons:
    Ravenholm level (Which scared the **** out of me when I first played the game)
    Silent protagonist Gordon Freeman feels unfitting

Besides only one of the chapters and a flaw in character development, this FPS is as pure as pure can get!
  60. Mar 22, 2015
    This game has aged horribly. The story is rather decent, but the gameplay is just pathetic. Shoot your peashooter weaponry at guards and zombies, and then use your gravity gun to pick up a saw and throw it at people.
    You will then take the saw with you on your entire game and use it exclusively.
    You will then take the saw with you on your entire game and use it exclusively.

Sure, you can argue that a game that has a good story is all that matters. But, a sandwich with the world's best bread (the story) is still a horrible sandwich is the meat is made out of a dead dog's **** (the gameplay)

As it stands, Half Life 2 is a prime example that gamers will reach to the bottom of their fanboy purses to make anything Valve makes overrated.

This game would be better fitted as a book, to be honest. It tells a great story, but the gameplay is just so agonizing that I couldn't get past 40 minutes. If you want a good first person shooter, go play Far Cry or Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Don't buy into the hype about this relic. It was good when it launched, but it's just dog **** that's beloved by nostalgia-blinded neckbeards who have probably never gotten to 1st base.

By the way, this review is going to get a lot of flak for not worshipping a game this overrated. Just some foresight.
  61. Mar 21, 2015
    Probably the most overrated games of this lifetime. Good graphics that dont hold up as well as fanatics will tell you. Basically if you played this game as a kid you will rave about it, if you are just getting in on the series it won't be this earth shattering experience you expect it to be Fantastic game play, interesting story, but overall not the "best game ever" as some would say.
  62. Mar 15, 2015
    remind me, why is this game so popular again? what does it do so well/uniquely that makes it one of the best games ever? frankly, this game is one of the most overrated games ever, not in the sense that it is bad, but in the sense that people say it is that good. it isnt. these games really dont' stand as their own franchise. i cant think of a single thing this game does better than anyremind me, why is this game so popular again? what does it do so well/uniquely that makes it one of the best games ever? frankly, this game is one of the most overrated games ever, not in the sense that it is bad, but in the sense that people say it is that good. it isnt. these games really dont' stand as their own franchise. i cant think of a single thing this game does better than any other game of its own genre. the level design is lame, the enemy AI is laughable, and it is hyped to oblivion. Expand
  63. Mar 10, 2015
    Classic! CLASSIC! everything about this is classic! CLASSIC! CLASSIC! Without this game, there will not be Borderlands, Warframe and urgh,.. I dunno This game is sooo perfect. If you look at other games, there will be alot of Half Life 2 inspiration.
  64. Mar 9, 2015
    **** Metacritic and its cancerous community. This game is a classic. Obviously today it's nothing special in terms of innovation, but no FPS other than System Shock 2 and Riddick Escape from Butcher bay has as good linear level design as Half Life. **** you if you think this game is overrated. You're the only one judging 2004 standards by 2015 standards. By your logic, any game in that**** Metacritic and its cancerous community. This game is a classic. Obviously today it's nothing special in terms of innovation, but no FPS other than System Shock 2 and Riddick Escape from Butcher bay has as good linear level design as Half Life. **** you if you think this game is overrated. You're the only one judging 2004 standards by 2015 standards. By your logic, any game in that year is overrated because its gameplay is somewhat outdated. I wish reviews had replies, because I would rip apart anyone who calls this game **** or overrated. What do you people want from this game? A big open world? Not every FPS is going to be like Battlefield, or Far Cry. This game is linear FPS done right. In fact it's linear game design done right. Don't go into it expecting it to be the best thing you'll ever play. It still remains ONE of the greatest games ever made, along with the first. There's no arguing with that fact. Call the game overrated all you want, but your ****ty opinion doesn't determine the overall quality of the game. Expand
  65. Feb 26, 2015
    After all these years, HL2 feels and still plays as an excellent game. I replay this game once or twice a year ever since its release. Great storytelling, voice acting and physics.
  66. Feb 25, 2015
    This is simply the best game ever made. 10 years after release, and no other game has surpassed it yet. The atmosphere, characters and Source engine were all, putting it mildly, revolutionary at the time. They all still hold up well today. Not to mention it CHANGED THE GAMING INDUSTRY, even more so than Half-Life 1 did. Think about it. Without HL2, Steam would probably be dead, in whichThis is simply the best game ever made. 10 years after release, and no other game has surpassed it yet. The atmosphere, characters and Source engine were all, putting it mildly, revolutionary at the time. They all still hold up well today. Not to mention it CHANGED THE GAMING INDUSTRY, even more so than Half-Life 1 did. Think about it. Without HL2, Steam would probably be dead, in which case thousands of indie games would've never been made, let alone gain as much popularity, forcing all those indie developers to stop making games. Without HL2, Valve probably wouldn't have made their other masterpieces (Portal, TF2, L4D, etc.) Without HL2, and its amazing mod support, we wouldn't have gotten the best modding community ever in gaming.
    There are too many good things to say about Half-Life 2, so I'll make a long review short:
    Buy it. Buy it now. Just make sure you play Half-Life 1 beforehand obviously.
  67. Feb 19, 2015
    Not so good that i expected. The game is boring in most of levels, they are repeating everything again. Chapters 3, 4, 6 ( and more i think) dont have story just doing the same thing. And others chapters are just cutscenes in first person. The only good thing about this game is story and gravity gun, but gameplay is just awful. And the worst part is chapter 6 (Ravenholm). God, this isNot so good that i expected. The game is boring in most of levels, they are repeating everything again. Chapters 3, 4, 6 ( and more i think) dont have story just doing the same thing. And others chapters are just cutscenes in first person. The only good thing about this game is story and gravity gun, but gameplay is just awful. And the worst part is chapter 6 (Ravenholm). God, this is worst level i saw in all my life. Very bad. Very bad. I could talk all day about this game fails. Portal was much, much better (TF2 also). I dont recommend spending a dollar on it. Better buy a pile of bricks! ( Sorry for bad english). Expand
  68. Feb 14, 2015
    BEST GAME EVER MADE FOR ANY CONSOLE. It's as simple as that.
    The whole half-life series is great, but this one, this one is beyond just awesome, it's perfect. it's the best game ever developed.
  69. Feb 10, 2015
    My favorite game of all time. Fantastic level design, interesting story, great writing and, of course, great gunplay. You can't call yourself a gamer if you haven't played the Half-Life series.

It's a must-have.
  70. Feb 7, 2015
    A nauseating first person shooter in an unrealistic and dull environment. You have to do everything the way the game wants you to, so all you do is shoot up men in masks hundreds of times using the same weapons. Story was sort of interesting, but it bored me.
  71. Feb 5, 2015
    Its engine capability is outstanding at the time of release. However, looking at this "best FPS" again today, only a mediocre and repetitive rail shooter with most of the same weapons in its predecessor and poor story telling is found.

So, its experience is just "meh" now.
  72. Feb 3, 2015
    I really enjoyed the first Half-Life, but the sequel was mediocre for the most part. The graphics were really top notch for their time, and today the Source engine is an incredible success and very well optimized. Aside from the gravity gun, the rest of the gun-play was not great. The story was mediocre, with one dull cut scene after another, some trope fostering a communist politicalI really enjoyed the first Half-Life, but the sequel was mediocre for the most part. The graphics were really top notch for their time, and today the Source engine is an incredible success and very well optimized. Aside from the gravity gun, the rest of the gun-play was not great. The story was mediocre, with one dull cut scene after another, some trope fostering a communist political overtone in an hyperbolic fascist Orwellian dystopia. Perhaps the most overrated game of all time, but still worthy of recognition and respect for the technically innovative Source game engine Expand
  73. Jan 23, 2015
    Overrated game that is for some reason considered a classic. Half life 2 is the old sick man of video games. Its cliche themes and poor optimization make it quite an overrated mess.
  74. Jan 18, 2015
    I've played this game when it first came out in 2004, and now, after 10 years, I've decided to play it again. I remember, I loved this game back then, it had some awesome graphics which was well optimised as well, and loved the different uniqe parts (ie. driving a buggy, etc.). Now, the game is basically OK, but it has a lot of flaws. First, it happened to me a lot that I got stuck in someI've played this game when it first came out in 2004, and now, after 10 years, I've decided to play it again. I remember, I loved this game back then, it had some awesome graphics which was well optimised as well, and loved the different uniqe parts (ie. driving a buggy, etc.). Now, the game is basically OK, but it has a lot of flaws. First, it happened to me a lot that I got stuck in some terrain object/wall piece/etc., which is pretty frustrating in the middle of combat. The "helpers" are more like a pain in the @ss rather than helpful, they are always in the wrong place and one just can't move freely because of them (especially in the heat of a battle). But my biggest concern is the story: throughout the game, I didn't have a clue what is happening. It was always like "Run, Gordon!" "You have to go to place B!" and so on. And there are no cutscenes or other story telling points, only your companions, who tell you you have to do this and do that. It was just a big running, with lot of fights, but for what and why, it was not clear to me.

So it's still a good game which is worth playing, but I think it's just overhyped - there are lot of others which I played through more times and enjoyed more.
  75. Jan 15, 2015
    Amazing. The game fells like virtual reality but it's on a compuer. It's one of the most realistically scripted games I have ever played, and for all you who don't like it, Send your opinions elsewhere.
  76. Jan 14, 2015
    Oh where to begin? This game has had so much praise put upon it and it truly deserves it all. What makes this game though isn't its story or its game play, no what truly makes this an awesome experience is how organic and absorbing it is. The whole game is dripping with atmosphere. The pacing and difficulty curve is well crafted and the game manages to make traveling tense and exciting.Oh where to begin? This game has had so much praise put upon it and it truly deserves it all. What makes this game though isn't its story or its game play, no what truly makes this an awesome experience is how organic and absorbing it is. The whole game is dripping with atmosphere. The pacing and difficulty curve is well crafted and the game manages to make traveling tense and exciting. I'd say that unless you're one of those people who hates a game that isn't constant action then play this game just for the experience alone.

I only really have one problem that is that the allies you get aren't very clever and don't seem to have a sense of self preservation. All of the NPCs seem to rely very heavily on Gordan Freeman to the point where you have to wonder how the resistance survived before he showed up.

But this is just one thing that you won't really notice while playing because this isn't a game it's an experience that everyone should have!
  77. Jan 7, 2015
    If you don't have this game buy it. It is one of the best games ever and amazing visuals even today especially in 2004 fantastic and if you have completed it you can get mods fantastic.
  78. Jan 6, 2015
    This game is dope as hell. I'd never played a half life game before, so I didn't know what to expect. Even though the game is pretty linear, I got so enveloped in the gameplay that I didn't even care. So amazing. Easily one of the 3 best games I've ever played.
  79. Dec 31, 2014
    Half Life 2 is a FPS type game being developed by Valve in 2004 after a development period of 5 years. Half Life 2 has sparked positive reactions, winning over 35 awards for Game of the Year in 2004. The action takes place 20 years after the Black Mesa incident (Half Life 1). The game begins with G-Man speaking to Gordon as in a dream, then finds his way to "City 17". The story staysHalf Life 2 is a FPS type game being developed by Valve in 2004 after a development period of 5 years. Half Life 2 has sparked positive reactions, winning over 35 awards for Game of the Year in 2004. The action takes place 20 years after the Black Mesa incident (Half Life 1). The game begins with G-Man speaking to Gordon as in a dream, then finds his way to "City 17". The story stays pretty well at the game. I could give more account details but so would give some spoilers, so better not. From a visual perspective stay perfect to game. Until 2004 we have not seen any games that have a facial mimics so well developed. Honestly I think is one better than some games in 2005-2006 +. In terms of graphics and are well established. The sound effects and music in the game is something I will not forget anytime soon. In my opinion the game is falling Must Play, maybe even a masterpiece. I honestly really did not expect to be so good one. Expand
  80. Dec 29, 2014
    I'm giving this game a low rating because it does most of the things I hate:
    -Unskippable cut scenes.
    -Acting like I care about any of these dumb characters. -Half the game is driving. Rage pulled the same stunt in 2011 and that too was a disaster. All it does is make the game painfully slow. -Does this game even have a plot? It was so boring that I didn't care to find out. A good game
    I'm giving this game a low rating because it does most of the things I hate:
    -Unskippable cut scenes.
    -Acting like I care about any of these dumb characters.
    -Does this game even have a plot? It was so boring that I didn't care to find out. A good game tells you very little so you're left wanting to know what the story is. HL2 does the exact opposite. Unskippable cut scene after unskippable cut scene. Instead of googling to find what the story is, I'm googling to see if there is some console command to skip the stupid cut scenes. I can't believe someone at Valve actually thought it was a good idea to force players to watch the same crap every time they play the game. Start a new game - hey I wonder if that face hugger is going to screw up the teleportation this time. I'll need to watch the 5 minute cut scene to find out!
    -It seems like large segments of the game are unfinished. Half of the game is driving or walking, but there's nothing going on. There's nothing to shoot and there's nothing shooting at me. Why was this left in the game? It's like they forgot to add monsters and nobody in beta testing noticed how boring those sections of the game are.
    -Physics are completely broken. You can run 100mph in reverse just by running backward and jumping. At least bunny hopping from quake took some practice.
    -The guns seem a lot crappier than they were in HL1. The amount of ammo one can hold has also been greatly reduced.
    -HL1 was awesome because it was straight forward. It told a story without telling you anything. An experiment goes wrong, monsters appear, military try to cover the whole thing up, etc. HL2 is about.... what exactly? it's about running through water canals because a guy in a turtle neck sweater is the leader of some people who wear gas masks. This is Metal Gear Solid level of bad story telling. Snake, you have nanobots inside you because blah blah clones Big Boss blah blah The Combine blah blah turtle neck sweaters.

You can't truly grasp how boring this game is until you watch someone do a speed run of it. Then watch someone do a speed run of Quake. Which one looks more like a game and which looks more like a tech demo?
  81. Dec 27, 2014
    people seem to be writing reviews from a current perspective. At the time of release this game was the puppies privates of the FPS world. Beautiful gfx, Havok physics engine implemented, awesome story, great sounds and effects. nothing compared at the time of release. same can be said for doom, Dukenukem, Q1, Q2,HL1, Unreal, Unreal tournament etc.......... AT THE TIME they wherepeople seem to be writing reviews from a current perspective. At the time of release this game was the puppies privates of the FPS world. Beautiful gfx, Havok physics engine implemented, awesome story, great sounds and effects. nothing compared at the time of release. same can be said for doom, Dukenukem, Q1, Q2,HL1, Unreal, Unreal tournament etc.......... AT THE TIME they where outstanding and mostly groundbreaking. Expand
  82. Dec 20, 2014
    The best game ever for me. Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copiedThe best game ever for me. Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other science fiction, it's not as original as many claim. Half Life 2 has awesome graphics, innovative physics, game play, fabulously designed levels and game moments but my point is that it shows how lacking and unoriginal the rest of the industry is - that many would claim Half Life 2 to be better than it actually is. If Half Life 2 is the best there is in single player gaming - then video games truely are lacking... HL2 is still a real achievement and Valve has something to be proud of. Expand
  83. Dec 7, 2014
    Interesting game, great concept and story, something every game needs and is preliminary in creating a good game overall. It's possible to get repetitive, but it's creative problem solving outmatches it a lot.

Also consider its year of production.
  84. Dec 4, 2014
    This game is way overrated, there are so many better games out there. People always praise it for its story and rich dialogue, but unlike Portal (which had me excited to progress through the story and listen to ALL of its witty, funny and overall extremely well acted characters) Half Life 2 was less than mediocre. Good dialogue was few and far between, with most of the speech just beingThis game is way overrated, there are so many better games out there. People always praise it for its story and rich dialogue, but unlike Portal (which had me excited to progress through the story and listen to ALL of its witty, funny and overall extremely well acted characters) Half Life 2 was less than mediocre. Good dialogue was few and far between, with most of the speech just being "look its Gordon Freeman!" or "are you Gordon Freeman?!".... its disappointing to say the least. I'm not counting the graphics because my pc isn't great and the game probably looks amazing on ultra settings but I wouldn't know.

Secondly, the story isn't at all innovative or different, I couldn't care for the characters or the world. I wasn't interested enough to who, what, where, why, when or how for any of the story's components - it's nothing new.

However much anyone says about the gravity gun, to me it will always be a glorified hand - it picks things up and throws them. Apart form that the combat is just like a typical fps although they did a good job with the weapons.

Finally, the gameplay isn't too great: linear level design, empty landscapes, dull environments. I just wanted this game to be over, I didn't enjoy playing it. If you want a gaming masterpiece, check out Portal and Portal 2.
  85. Dec 1, 2014
    So this is one of those titles I remember waiting, not much to play, not because I knew and was fan of the series; but because something big was bound to happen. The gaming show back in 2004 was all about how cool and innovative Half-Life 2 was going to be. And then it was.
    This is one of the finest gaming moments since the creation of video-games. Now that VALVE is all-powerful with steam and this is 11 years old you can pretty much almost for free there with expansions.
    Hell, 11 years after, launched pre-last gen, and still newer games can't stand against it. That says a thing or two.
  86. Nov 29, 2014
    Actually, I liked the first game better. Half Life 1 is my favorite game of all times. But since I'd give that game a 11, I'll give HL2 a 10.

So, ok, I'll look at it as it was back in 2004 and I'll say how it stands today. The atmosphere is incredible. The soundtrack is really memorable, the graphics were awesome in 2004 (maybe not as beautiful as FarCry, but still...) and the whole

The atmosphere is incredible. The soundtrack is really memorable, the graphics were awesome in 2004 (maybe not as beautiful as FarCry, but still...) and the whole universe presented to us is well created. It just... feels real, and the team seemed to draw much inspiration from books like 1984. And I love 1984. The whole concept of a dystopian world amuses me. Of course, the graphics have not aged that well, but the world the game presents is still very memorable, and still is very atmospheric. Few games do that nowadays. I can think only of Batman: Arkham series, Bioshock and maybe The Last of Us, but I have not played the last.

The gameplay, for me, at last, is not as good as Half Life 1. The weapons lack some punch, but the enemies are fun to deal with (although it's a shame that they scraped some enemies from HL1). And the gravity gun, oh man... The gravity gun is so awesome that I never seen such a cool weapon in any other game. It's a game-changing weapon, and it was there also to showcase the realistic physics engine.

And the Half Life series always had such a great pacing. Calm moments. Exploration moments. And really fast-paced moments. And the game plays really well on all of them. And that's thanks to the amazing level design, which is as good as the first game, if not a little better.

The story is pretty simple, and much people complain about Gordon being idolatred by everyone... but, c'mon, he saved the **** planet Earth, and he is just a theoretical scientist, who barely know how to use a gun. And the journey of the hero is a bit clichéd, but you actually FEEL like you are saving the world. I mean... let's look at Master Chief, for example. I kinda like Halo. And Master Chief saves the **** galaxy, but I don't feel like I'm really doing it. It's like "oh, I'm saving the galaxy, ok". And Half Life there's a feeling of desperation, and it is all very subtle at the same time. It's really damn nice. And the story tells you so much with so little... there are still few games that do this today. And, this time, I can only think of Bioshock. Few clues in the environment that tell a much bigger story. That's something more games should seek to do.

So, yeah... to me, it's not as good as the first one, but it is an amazing experience if you enjoy first person shooters. And even if you don't like the genre, you should give it at least a try. Half Life 2 is one of the best games of the 2000's, and has a perfect balance between old mechanics (huge weapons limit, frenetic gameplay, absence of iron sights, level exploration, puzzles) and new mechanics (story-driven game, changes in pacing, search for a somewhat realistic universe). So... try it once you can! You won't regret it. The worst that can happen is to you find it boring, but it's not gonna piss you off.
  87. Nov 11, 2014
    Probably the best game ever made, and I'm not even talking about the standalone game I'm talking about all the mods the community have made, No wonder valve isn't releasing hl3 yet we need that great feeling again.
  88. Nov 8, 2014
    The graphics are clunky and absolutely disgusting, the guns are unrealistic and disproportionate. Its lame I do not recommend this game to anyone who calls themselves a lover of games. This game is a classic, a classic piece of ****
  89. Oct 29, 2014
    Greatest game in history, now in 2014 it still has decent graphics

Amazing storyline and diverse and nice combat and physics mechanics

it is the #1 game in history
  90. Oct 27, 2014
    I know I am treading well-worn ground, here, but Half Life 2 is one of the few games I’ve played that has lived up to the hype surrounding it. I felt like I had to tip my hat, because it is perfect in every appreciable way.

Even though HL2 is a decade old, I only recently got around to playing it thanks to a Steam sale. Absolutely fantastic. I love everything about this game. Still looks gorgeous, not at all dated like the first Half Life game. Voice acting is spot-on. Mechanics are good. Nice selection of weapons without having TOO many. Gravity gun is a blast. Music is used very well: long stretches of silence with appropriately creepy or intense electronic tunes depending on what’s happening.

What pushes this over the top for me, though, is the story. It was barely there in Half Life 1. You still have no idea what’s happening in HL2 but you discover bits & pieces as you play. At one of the resistance HQs, for example, there is a bulletin board full of newspaper clippings about the alien invasion which took place while Gordon was…elsewhere. It’s a nice payoff which helps everything else happening in the game make sense. Aside from that, you may only hear certain plot points once or twice from NPC banter. Even if the banter doesn’t contain any story information, though, it’s all scripted well and fun to listen to.

HL2 also appeals to gamers who only play shooters for the pew pew and don’t care about story. The maps may be linear (which I don’t mind in a shooter) but you have a lot of freedom and fun ways to go about solving them. There is also a nice mix of gameplay elements which keep things fresh, from turret defense moments (literally) to vehicle driving. You’re not always marching through hallways so it’s very difficult to get bored.

The only complaint I have is that there’s no Half Life 3! Of course, I’d rather have an excellent series which rarely releases games than a series that releases a title every year and beats everything we liked about it into the ground until we can’t stand it any longer (*cough*Assassin’s Creed*ahem*). Half Life 2 is one of those amazing gems that is still as good today as it was on the day it was released. Definitely a game which everyone who considers themselves a gamer should play.
  91. Oct 18, 2014
    It is a valve game what do you expect? tight graphics for its age (I thought it was made in 2012 they were so good) it also has a great physics engine which is still better than any physics engine made to this day. awesome story, awesome characters, awesome voice acting and awesome secrets. I just urge them to make half life3
  92. Oct 17, 2014
    I now understand why people want half life 3. If you haven't played this game you really need to because it goes on sale so much on steam and it usually comes with a bundle for episode 1, 2, and lost coast.
  93. Oct 14, 2014
    im just want to play this game again, again, and again. cause this game is **** amazing in gameplay, graphics and in weapons!!! most i like in here is a Gravity gun!!! the best guns ever!!!!
  94. Oct 10, 2014
    I made an account just to review this game. Half-Life 2 is the only game in the world that I can regard as perfect. It is literally impeccable. I have played a lot of games, and it is very hard to put so many good titles behind me, but until you play this game you won't feel the atmosphere and world that it draws you into. You need to experience the game and fully complete it to realiseI made an account just to review this game. Half-Life 2 is the only game in the world that I can regard as perfect. It is literally impeccable. I have played a lot of games, and it is very hard to put so many good titles behind me, but until you play this game you won't feel the atmosphere and world that it draws you into. You need to experience the game and fully complete it to realise what a wonderful journey the Half-Life series really is. The graphics are phenomenal for a game that is now ten years old; still keeping up with modern titles to this day. The storytelling is perfect, in the literal sense of the word. The gameplay is flawless, the diversity of characters, both hostile and allied is superb. The puzzles, the chill-factor, and the thing that gets me the most, the absolute and complete absorption that you'll have playing this game is something like no other. You become Gordon Freeman, you live in the world of Half-Life which has been so magnificently created you believe every minute of its being and existence. It's this reality that consumes you, and it's marvelous, incredible story. I regard this game as perfect. Expand
  95. Oct 9, 2014
    Let me just open the review by saying this is my favorite game of all time. I only finished the game last year, but it still blew me away (even though it was 9 years old!). The story is excellent, and blew me away. The game play mechanics are excellent, and the only critical thing I thing I can say about the game is that it got a bit slow on a few chapters (I'm looking at you RouteLet me just open the review by saying this is my favorite game of all time. I only finished the game last year, but it still blew me away (even though it was 9 years old!). The story is excellent, and blew me away. The game play mechanics are excellent, and the only critical thing I thing I can say about the game is that it got a bit slow on a few chapters (I'm looking at you Route Canal). All in All, its the most perfect a game can really get. Play it if you haven't already! Expand
  96. Oct 3, 2014
    I didn't play this game until 2012 and it's my favourite shooter to date, probably the only shooter/FPS that I've played over and over again after I've finished. Perfect pacing, graphics that still hold up pretty well, great story that unfolds before your eyes and excellent gunplay. Love it.
  97. Sep 29, 2014
    Where to start half life is just an amazing ride, the game mechanics are near seamless along with a plot-line that not only keeps you guessing, but has love, anger, envy, revenge, dependence and ultimately you know your saving the planet. Loved it. Completed it. Played it again and again.

Graliv
  98. Sep 27, 2014
    The ultra responsive Source engine coupled with a great story and excellent graphics for its time. It's nothing short of a revolution. No wonder why it has universal acclaim.
  99. Sep 13, 2014
    Half Life is the birth of real FPS.
    If you were around when it came out, no matter how many years have passed, Half Life will always be top of your list in gaming masterpieces.
  100. Sep 12, 2014
    Half Life 2 is a stunning masterpiece. I played this game a long time ago on the orange box for the PS3. TBH it didn't stick back then. Years later I played the game on PC, after playing the first game, and I was shocked at how good it was.

First the game's physics is superb. It's a lot of fun to drop enemies and watch their death throes as you take them down. It's such a simple thing yet Valve does such an excellent job at it thanks to the physics of the game which few games out there will ever be able to come close to. That also brings me to the gravity gun. A weapon that will become your best friend upon receiving it. It can snatch and throw objects and can be used on the fly with a simple push of a button when using any other weapon making it a handy gun for breaking and moving obstacles or busting open the many supply crates in the game.

Now for the games story. The story is pretty straight forward. In the beginning of the game you show up at City 17, ruled over by Dr. Breen the former administrator to Black Mesa in the previous game. Dr. Breen is essentially a puppet for a transhuman race know as the Combine to ensure domination of the human race by the Combine who rule the human race with totalitarian brutality. The story's narrative is non-cinematic in nature yet it manages to tell the story with crisp clarity. Constant control over Freeman in each of the non-action story sequences deliver a great sense of immersion few games have.

In terms of gameplay the game does an excellent job at balancing great face-paced action and slower non-action sequences to give gamer a quick breather before pushing onwards in their epic journey. The gameplay sequences are also rather superb and varied. One moment you're on a dune buggy dodging antions, another you're trying to outrun and destroy a relentless chopper, in another sequence you're fighting zombies in a dark overrun town. The variety keeps the game unpredictable and fun, and with great gameplay freedom, along with a great arsenal of weapons, you bring down the house however you see fit.

The game moves at a great pace and its one of the few games that I'd play again just for the sheer experience of it. The superb narrative, graphics, gameplay freedom and physics make the game a true masterpiece that will stand proud among the best games the gaming industry has to offer. Few come close to the masterpiece that is Half Life 2. Long live Dr. Freeman!

3. Playboy