Half-Life 2 PC

9.2

1. Feb 4, 2012
    Half-Life 2 is simply amazing. I've noticed some reviewers (one in particular) mentioned that Half-Life 2 "has no storyline". Well, I have one question to ask : are you retarded?

Anyway, Half-Life 2 = Amazing. The graphics are good! People have to realise that Half-Life 2 was released in 2004. It does not have the graphics that we have today. Half-Life 2 provides excellent voice acting from all the cast, including the great Merle Dandridge (Alyx Vance).

Half-Life 2 also has famous actors such as Robert Culp and Robert Guillaume. Half-Life 2 earned 39 Game of the Year awards. This shows that, well, Half-Life 2 is damn awesome.

Great gameplay, great storyline, great voice acting, great soundtrack. Great. Buy this game!
  2. Apr 22, 2014
    There was something very incredible about the original Half-Life. It was ground breaking for its time because it was the first game I played that really felt alive. Half-Life 2 is a step back in some ways. While it continues the same classic formula of run and gun rail shooter, it however goes back in several areas.
    While it has more of a storyline than Half-Life, its just not very
    While it has more of a storyline than Half-Life, its just not very interesting. The combine are perhaps the most bland enemy I've ever seen, the key problem is they are unmemorable. Like a weaker version of the Strogg (from Quake).

While it has the best physics (which makes sense as you are Gordon Freeman, a theoretical physicist). The game took a nose dive into a completely different locale. The claustrophobia of underground research facility is gone, and some classic aliens don't make a come back (bullsquid/hound eye)... and Vortiguants are friendly -_-

The game also noticeably lacks difficulty, even on hard the game is perhaps the easiest I've ever played.
    Less explosive barrels - Half-Life 1 had a perfect balance. Every time I saw a barrel in Half-Life 2 I knew someone was going to either go near it or hide behind it. Less health kits, once again HL1 had a perfect balance.. here I always find 2-3 to many. Those unlimited ammo/grenade supply crates where so unnecessary.

The mediocre AI.. I want the AI to find ways to circle around me and trap me in corners, flush me out with grenades. The airboat portion in Half-Life 2 was dragged on far too long. In between each section you kill a few easy metro cops and then on you go... like some sort of tech demo.

+Gameplay is fun, and level design is logical
    +Ergonomically designed, so you can play the whole in one sitting
    +Characerisation
    +Very long
    +Ravenholm

-Easy game, even on Hard
    -Bland enemy design for the combine
    -Unmemorable music
    -Mediocre AI

-Physics puzzles brought FPS a interesting twist, but I thought that they really didn't do anything substantial to move the genre forward. Instead it feels like a technical achievement rather than the merging of FPS gameplay and physics in some meaningful way. Using the physics gun to launch objects at enemies is about as far as it goes in this regard. I think future games to come end up achieving something like this more so.

-Why does Gordon have to be a silent protagonist? I feel like it's more a crutch on the story.
  3. Sep 9, 2012
    With awesome story and very nice gameplay, this is definetly one of the best singleplayer games i have ever played. I would recommend it for anyone who haven't played it already.
  4. Feb 20, 2013
    Half Life was pretty good. But it's far from Half Life 2. The campaign for Half Life 2 is easily one of, if not the, best I have ever played. The first time I played the game. I hated the first two chapters. But I have since grown to love the whole game. Even after beating the game, it is still great fun to play. The graphics, for 2004 were amazing, and the game still looks pretty goodHalf Life was pretty good. But it's far from Half Life 2. The campaign for Half Life 2 is easily one of, if not the, best I have ever played. The first time I played the game. I hated the first two chapters. But I have since grown to love the whole game. Even after beating the game, it is still great fun to play. The graphics, for 2004 were amazing, and the game still looks pretty good now. The puzzles are a tad repetitive sometimes, but the action and storyline make up for it. Another issue is the multiplayer. You have to pay for it seperately, although it is also great fun if you do Expand
  5. May 23, 2012
    I have played many games, but there is only one game I keep coming back to hoping to know what happens next, and this is it. My favourite game of all time!
  6. Mar 13, 2012
    The perfect shooter. It doesn't get boring after what must be the 20th replay. Incredible level design, creepy enemies, amazing atmosphere. The benchmark of FPS since 2004 that many have tried and failed to top.
  7. BMF
    Apr 7, 2011
    If only all single player shooters could be this great. HL2 is the shining gold example of storytelling and game play all fused into the perfect package.
  8. Oct 9, 2010
    Think about your favorite FPS. Now look at this game. Half Life 2 is seriously, no joke, one of the best games ever created. The story is a masterpiece, showing you a world held hostage by the powerful Combine, an alien race who came to Earth after the events of the first game and all but enslaved us. Remember the physics of the first game? Half Life 2 has cranked those up to 11, withThink about your favorite FPS. Now look at this game. Half Life 2 is seriously, no joke, one of the best games ever created. The story is a masterpiece, showing you a world held hostage by the powerful Combine, an alien race who came to Earth after the events of the first game and all but enslaved us. Remember the physics of the first game? Half Life 2 has cranked those up to 11, with beautiful flames that will have you standing by fires and realistic crows that take off when you approach. And then there's the combat. Like the first game, it is executed perfectly, but I noticed that many of the guns are almost exactly the same. You get the standard pistol, the crowbar, the shotgun, the smg, the rpg, the grenades, and the crossbow. The only weapons that seemed new were the assault rifle and the gravity gun. Oh man, the gravity gun. I could write an entire review just about that, how you can pick up and push items, solve puzzles, etc. Throughout the game you'll visit a number of locales, from the Antlion-infested beaches to the city of Ravenholm, which is positively crawling with zombies. If you like to play video games, then you must play Half Life 2. Expand
  9. Oct 6, 2011
    Even better than the first HL, wow I didn't think it was possible. While it is a shooter, it involves a lot more gameplay types, it allows you to drive through to point A-B with intense action, areas where you need to sneak past, you get to control troops of rebels (and even antlions at one point). And the regular shooting is great, it's also a true sequel meaning it's just a bunch ofEven better than the first HL, wow I didn't think it was possible. While it is a shooter, it involves a lot more gameplay types, it allows you to drive through to point A-B with intense action, areas where you need to sneak past, you get to control troops of rebels (and even antlions at one point). And the regular shooting is great, it's also a true sequel meaning it's just a bunch of higher tech HL. (with the same physics puzzles and similar gameplay) It also has one of the best sci-fi storyline's of the century, including characters, dialog, and of course just story in general. It introduces a new gun that is just OMG, try launching a paint can at something, see how much damage that will cause. Just amazing, like HL1, I really have NOTHING negative to say about it. Expand
  10. Feb 20, 2012
    I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. This game is great, period. I would consider it art that should be preserved through the centuries. I'll remember this game when I'm an old man wandering around in my underwear inside a department store.
  11. May 14, 2012
    Look no further - THIS IS THE BEST FPS OF ALL TIME. The source engine at its finest delivers amazing graphics. The game itself is essentially bug free. The supporting Steam platform is flawless. The world savior Gordon paves way for many alien-invasion-and-world-saving-by-a-one-man-army all came after this game, and all have failed to surpass this milestone.
  12. Mar 23, 2014
    Best single player game ever. 10 years later most of these scenes are still better looking than the newest games that come out in 2014, and it deserves an 11 for that. Graphics aren't just high definition textures and more polygons, they are also the context they are put into, proportion, and sound.
  13. Mar 22, 2015
    This game has aged horribly. The story is rather decent, but the gameplay is just pathetic. Shoot your peashooter weaponry at guards and zombies, and then use your gravity gun to pick up a saw and throw it at people.
    You will then take the saw with you on your entire game and use it exclusively.
    You will then take the saw with you on your entire game and use it exclusively.

Sure, you can argue that a game that has a good story is all that matters. But, a sandwich with the world's best bread (the story) is still a horrible sandwich is the meat is made out of a dead dog's **** (the gameplay)

As it stands, Half Life 2 is a prime example that gamers will reach to the bottom of their fanboy purses to make anything Valve makes overrated.

This game would be better fitted as a book, to be honest. It tells a great story, but the gameplay is just so agonizing that I couldn't get past 40 minutes. If you want a good first person shooter, go play Far Cry or Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Don't buy into the hype about this relic. It was good when it launched, but it's just dog **** that's beloved by nostalgia-blinded neckbeards who have probably never gotten to 1st base.

By the way, this review is going to get a lot of flak for not worshipping a game this overrated. Just some foresight.
  14. Jwv
    Jan 18, 2014
    Probably the best single-player game I have ever played on PC. The Source engine has a great eye for detail; portrays a realistic picture of a totalitarian regime, which kindles a real sense of sympathy with the rebels; a squad-system (although not the best); likeable, unique and realistic characters; varied gameplay and locations with some particularly epic parts like Ravenholm (whichProbably the best single-player game I have ever played on PC. The Source engine has a great eye for detail; portrays a realistic picture of a totalitarian regime, which kindles a real sense of sympathy with the rebels; a squad-system (although not the best); likeable, unique and realistic characters; varied gameplay and locations with some particularly epic parts like Ravenholm (which even now, 10 years later, still gives me the creeps), the hovercraft and buggy scenes, and your first Strider-confrontation; cool weapons; smart AI; an enormous amount of different enemies to shoot; a great story; a great momentum in the game (action-packed and serene scenes alternate nicely); an enjoyable soundtrack adapted to every moment (cf. combat, Ravenholm, etc.), good voice-acting and great sound-effects (anyone not creeped out by the zombie-dogs?); smart puzzles (but just some really stand out), great use of physics; and one of the best first hours of gameplay ever (with a great sense of dependence, realism and adrenaline). Expand
  15. Aug 23, 2013
    How does this game have a lower metascore than GTA4? This game is almost perfect, except for some bad follower AI which is a non-issue and not even worth complaining about.
  16. Jan 12, 2014
    G-Man: Rise and shine, Mister Freeman. Rise and... shine. Not that I... wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No one is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has... come again.
    G-Man: The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mister Freeman. Wake up and... *smell the ashes*... The game is just amazing.
  17. Jan 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a great game and I absolutely love it! The combine are great to kill. And I found it amusing to make the guards angry in the first level. I love the new zombies and the new poison head crabs and zombies are awesome! There are also the funny yet annoying fast zombies! Overall A masterpiece Expand
  18. Jul 8, 2012
    There are some people who would argue that this is the best game of all time. I can't really argue with that. But it's up to everyone to decide if it's their favorite. I say, top 5
  19. May 19, 2016
    What can be said about this game that hasn't been said already? I played this for the first time in 2013 and it completely blew me away. The atmosphere, the smooth (and I mean it when I say smooth) gameplay, the diverse characters and enemies, the physics puzzles, the environment in general, the story, the set pieces! I could go on and on, as a matter of fact, so many have done just thatWhat can be said about this game that hasn't been said already? I played this for the first time in 2013 and it completely blew me away. The atmosphere, the smooth (and I mean it when I say smooth) gameplay, the diverse characters and enemies, the physics puzzles, the environment in general, the story, the set pieces! I could go on and on, as a matter of fact, so many have done just that on metacritic and, well, anywhere else. Also, for a game made in 2004, these graphics are SUPERB.
    Don't get me wrong, if you are unfortunate enough to still not have played this software, when you do, it should be easy to see it is a masterpiece. The big bad shooters of today have got their own thing going on. Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, and such are okay, but to be honest, when I play these games I don't really care about the game itself. It just doesn't seem fun to me. They just don't seem to possess that pizzazz that half life 2 carries. And really, to me, how fun it is is a pretty damn important part of a game.
    Still don't agree? Okay. Not every single person is going to enjoy the same game. But I must say, the half life series, in addition to most if not all of Valve's other well-known games, definitely deserves the massive fanbase that it has. Half life 2 has left a permanent mark on the history of video games and will be remembered for a very, very long time.
  20. Jan 3, 2012
    Poor graphics. That's IT. A true benchmark for PC games, and an example all developers should learn from. Award-worthy story, overwhelming atmoshpere, dynamic physics, perfectly paced action and puzzles, intense firefights, good character development, surrealism in video game form, and one of the biggest moral plights in video gaming history; Gordon Freeman--the "badass normal" scientistPoor graphics. That's IT. A true benchmark for PC games, and an example all developers should learn from. Award-worthy story, overwhelming atmoshpere, dynamic physics, perfectly paced action and puzzles, intense firefights, good character development, surrealism in video game form, and one of the biggest moral plights in video gaming history; Gordon Freeman--the "badass normal" scientist turned soldier, originally intending to create and produce, suddenly turned warrior with all the paradoxis of killing to save, fighting for peace, and destroying to create that go along with it when he (technically was used) to start a chain reaction of events that ends everything he ever cared about. Which he only found out about after several years of being in limbo. If anyone's tragic, it's him. And he's never said a word. Expand
  21. Nov 2, 2012
    This is the greatest video game ever made.

As someone who has been a fan of Half Life 2 for years, I have never really quit playing it - although I have taken some pretty big breaks in between. It is during my current playthrough that I decided to come write a short review on Metacritic to describe just how I feel about this game. I am sure there isn't a reputable gamer alive that
    This is the greatest video game ever made.

I am sure there isn't a reputable gamer alive that isn't fully aware of Half Life 2 and the hype surrounding it. And as beloved as it is, I would still so far as to say that this game is one of the most underrated games of all time.

How can a game that is widely considered by many as the greatest shooter to date, and even still by others (such as myself) as the greatest video game period, be underrated?

As difficult that would be to explain, it's equally difficult attempting to convey just how great this game is in so short of space. Indeed, the fact that a game so good can be so under appreciated is something that has baffled me for quite a time. In my humble opinion, no amount of praise or appreciation for Half Life 2 would suffice. What Valve has created is simply a work of art. The visuals, sound, gameplay, and storytelling are of among the best the gaming world had ever seen. It's incredible just how amazing and groundbreaking was every facet of Half Life 2, in respect to the time it was released, and even more incredible that each groundbreaking aspect was all in the same game. The game that literally had it all. The Beatles of the PC gaming world. The fact that Half Life 2 can still be played today, 8 years later, and can be every bit as impressive as modern shooters (more, in some instances), truly testifies to just how great this game is. This is truly the greatest game ever made.
  22. Jan 8, 2013
    Best game of the decade, hands down. The Source engine rivals most games today graphics wise, and yet it was released back in 2004, more than 8 years ago. Amazing. It's not just it's amazing engine, it's also the gameplay as well as the subtle story that makes this game what it is. Half-Life is probably the best known video game franchise ever, spawning loads of spin-offs and mods to makeBest game of the decade, hands down. The Source engine rivals most games today graphics wise, and yet it was released back in 2004, more than 8 years ago. Amazing. It's not just it's amazing engine, it's also the gameplay as well as the subtle story that makes this game what it is. Half-Life is probably the best known video game franchise ever, spawning loads of spin-offs and mods to make Valve loads of money. Expand
  23. Dec 17, 2015
    One of my favourite games, I will never EVER forget the times I've had with this game. So many childhood memories from this game with my Dad that I will take to the grave. The gameplay is superb with great levels and a phenomenal soundtrack. The story whilst weak, is very interesting and will engross you for the entire game. This is one of the few games I will consider a masterpiece.
  24. May 7, 2014
    Hopelessly mediocre game that's on-the-rails and constantly insults my intelligence with puzzles a kids with downs could figure out. It has nice graphics, but boring gunplay and DRM called Steam. 10 years later, still no sequel to tie up the loose ends. Bottom line: Valve sucks!
  25. Jun 21, 2014
    By far, the most amazing game I've ever played. The mix of intense FPS action and lateral thinking makes for one of the most fantastic video games to ever hit the shelves. Some of the most iconic video game locations in video game history spawned within Half Life 2. Such as the horrifying Ravenholm mission and the tranquil setting of Highway 17. The narrative sets the game out slowly andBy far, the most amazing game I've ever played. The mix of intense FPS action and lateral thinking makes for one of the most fantastic video games to ever hit the shelves. Some of the most iconic video game locations in video game history spawned within Half Life 2. Such as the horrifying Ravenholm mission and the tranquil setting of Highway 17. The narrative sets the game out slowly and drip feeds you information about the elusive... G-man. A must buy for all FPS fans. 10/10. Expand
  26. Apr 13, 2016
    Nuevamente debo decir:"woaaa". Es primera vez que juego el half-life 2(2014) y debo decir que es un juego increíble. Contextualizando que es del 2004, las gráficas son estupendas, las texturas increíbles, la jugabilidad impresionante. Una obra excelente que ha envejecido muy bien. Muy buen juego al gran nivel que también tuvo half-life. De verdad espero que salga pronto hl3.

27. Mar 22, 2013
    Half life 2 is truly the best single videogame I've ever played. Great graphics, physics, level design, plot, characters, weapons, difficulty, enemies, and overall gameplay experience I have had and probably will have for a long time. (Read: When HL3 comes out) And once you've finished the game, you can enjoy going back and finding all the subtle things you missed, or try out some of theHalf life 2 is truly the best single videogame I've ever played. Great graphics, physics, level design, plot, characters, weapons, difficulty, enemies, and overall gameplay experience I have had and probably will have for a long time. (Read: When HL3 comes out) And once you've finished the game, you can enjoy going back and finding all the subtle things you missed, or try out some of the community made mods for the game. You can get this game for $10 which is just about the best price vs. entertainment factor I've ever seen. Ever. Expand
  28. Vas
    Jun 29, 2014
    This is pretty epic, really well done. A nice long story with plenty to do and isn't so easy that you can simply run through it. Really, there almost isn't any room for improvement in this. This game is just amazing, just get it, you won't regret it! I can't even figure out how there is a single bad review about it here. :P You simply can't hate it! That is like, successfully dividing by zero.
  29. May 3, 2012
    There's no such thing as 'The perfect game', but Half Life 2 comes damn close, it excels as a shooter, has some of the most likeable NPC's you'll ever meet in a game and is one of the most immersive games around thanks to the lack of any cut-scenes. There was not a single point in the game where I wasn't having an enjoyable experience and it's graphics still hold their own today. This isThere's no such thing as 'The perfect game', but Half Life 2 comes damn close, it excels as a shooter, has some of the most likeable NPC's you'll ever meet in a game and is one of the most immersive games around thanks to the lack of any cut-scenes. There was not a single point in the game where I wasn't having an enjoyable experience and it's graphics still hold their own today. This is one the few must have games for any true gamer, you really are missing out if you don't play this at least once, and you're robbing yourself of a true masterpiece. Expand
  30. Aug 23, 2012
    There isn't much to add, its almost a perfect game! Only music is a little bit weak. Hopefully Half-Life 3 score will be much better. All other great games have great memorable music.
  31. Jun 2, 2012
    This game is way too good. It does not deserve a review, it would be futile to try and judge this game. It is too perfect. Judging it would delay Half life 3 even further.
  32. Apr 1, 2016
    I walked into Half-Life 2 not knowing what to expect but believe me it exceeds expectations. Graphics are stunning they blow me away 12 years on. The story is so good It kept me hooked from start to finish and I know i will play it again. The characters are so in depth and Freeman steals the show. Amazing twelve years on.
  33. May 28, 2016
    If the original Half-Life wasn't monumental enough, Half-Life 2 takes the best of what made Half-Life so amazing and gave it a modern update with a new graphic/gameplay engine. Excellent story, excellent graphics and gameplay, and overall an incredibly engaging experience.
  34. Jun 12, 2012
    From the gameplay, to graphics and sound section then, this game is spectacular. A compelling story, divided into episodes, not so linear gameplay, varied and full of surprises, with the use of physics. Using a gravity gun is the most innovative game, something never seen before. The Source engine debuts with this game, and to date, complied very well with one of the best physical that canFrom the gameplay, to graphics and sound section then, this game is spectacular. A compelling story, divided into episodes, not so linear gameplay, varied and full of surprises, with the use of physics. Using a gravity gun is the most innovative game, something never seen before. The Source engine debuts with this game, and to date, complied very well with one of the best physical that can be found for a game. The original voices are among the best out there for a game (Valve always take care of this). Expand
  35. Jul 11, 2012
    HOLY **** THIS IS MY FAVORITE GAME EVER not kidding, the graphics are not great but so what with the amazing story line and challenging puzzles half life 2 is up in my favorites in steam lets also talk about the hammer editor great editor too but yes there are always flaws (the game ) one is sometimes you commit suicide by alyx or barney bumping you the rocket is a bit under powered andHOLY **** THIS IS MY FAVORITE GAME EVER not kidding, the graphics are not great but so what with the amazing story line and challenging puzzles half life 2 is up in my favorites in steam lets also talk about the hammer editor great editor too but yes there are always flaws (the game ) one is sometimes you commit suicide by alyx or barney bumping you the rocket is a bit under powered and the poison zombies are a bit headless is what im thinking but except all of that best game ever ( not episode 1 or 2 they are great but not half life 2 great) Expand
  36. Oct 18, 2013
    Want to give 9.5 out of 10. I only have a problem with its weird controls at times (too many items with too few slots for them) and I'm not going to comment on the graphics given its age at the time of playing it. But in terms of gameplay, story, voice acting and atmosphere, this game is beastly. Unbeaten. While it's not my favorite game, it is certainly one of my favorites. There isn'tWant to give 9.5 out of 10. I only have a problem with its weird controls at times (too many items with too few slots for them) and I'm not going to comment on the graphics given its age at the time of playing it. But in terms of gameplay, story, voice acting and atmosphere, this game is beastly. Unbeaten. While it's not my favorite game, it is certainly one of my favorites. There isn't enough downsides to counter the plenitude of good qualities that make this game stand out. I can wait forever for HL3 Expand
  37. Apr 15, 2011
    I just replayed Half-Life 2 again about a month ago. Even in 2011, seven years after its initial release, I am still reminded why Half-Life 2 is one of the greatest first-person shooters of all time. Not the greatest, but definitely one of them.

I think the greatest strength in Half-Life 2 (gameplay-wise) is the level design. Over the course of I believe 14 levels, you see an incredible variation in locale, level structure, lighting, and gameplay. This is complimented by such a flux in mood, intensity, and immersion that you can't help but to just be enthralled by it.

For instance, the entire first 3 chapters of the game is a slow build-up to an intense climax. You start as a fugitive, running across the rooftops of City 17 to escape the Combine Overwatch. You are allowed to take a short, 10-minute breather in a safe-haven, then thrust back into the bowels of the city's sewer system, and finally driving your own airboat through the canals. It's such a gradual build you hardly notice it, until you reach the end of the climax, discover you've been holding your breath for the past 30 seconds, and that you've been maintaining a white-knuckled grip on your mouse this whole time. And that's the first 3 chapters.

After this you are treated to some incredibly creepy locations, and some more intense escapes/shootouts. All the atmosphere is enhanced with some pretty incredible performances both animation- and voice-acting-wise, even if you consider that this is 2011.

And wow, the voice acting. These are some of the most incredible video game characters to this date. Immensely believable, highly emotional, subtly expressive, the characters help suck you right into the story and world that Valve created, and you could almost be fooled into thinking they are actually talking to you...

Oh and that reminds me, the story. Okay, so it's not laid out for you word-for-word what's going on, or what relevance all these characters have in terms of the story from the instance you set foot into the game. I have read a lot of reviews and seen a lot of complaints. Yes, Valve did not flesh it out in its entirety in the first chapter. No, you pretty much don't have a clue what kind of influence the combine and the G-Man are right from the word go. But to be honest, I don't care. When it comes to story-telling, I personally enjoy the opportunity to discover the story for myself, and not just have it told to me if I were a five-year-old. There are some pretty subtle hints laying around concerning backstory, main storyline, and intertwining character plots. If you look for them, you'll find that this is actually some interesting sci-fi, more driven by characters (which it should be) than by what's necessary to pluck a plot twist out of your ass. So overall, the story ended up being a plus in my opinion.

Other than that, the graphics are still good, though a bit dated, physics are awesome, and the gravity gun continues to be the best weapon in the history of gaming, Go Valve! Now I just can't wait until my Portal 2 pre-load finishes...
  38. Jun 10, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is a good game. What do I try to trick? It is an awesome game! Even in 2010 it offers so much. So, lets start with the good things.

Half-Life 2 has nice graphics but you can have a bad computer to play it. It also has a beautiful storyline and there are no cutscenes in this game. That is good because you feel like... you are Gordon Freeman and in the center of... everything. This game has 15 chapters... well 14 because chapter 15 is the credits. Many of you will agree that the scariest chapter is ' ' We Don' t Go To Ravenholm...' ' . I think it doesn' t fit there where it is but they put the chapter in to show the physics.

The bad things. Is Gordon Freeman a Superman that he can drive and open doors without hands? Sometimes it is boring to listen other characters because they talk too much. Little graphical failures and they are the bad things. Thanks VALVe for this fantastic game and I am waiting the Episode Three.
    Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    Sounds: 9
    Story: 10
  39. Nov 7, 2012
    There is a good structure of level design, which varies from: run and gun, tactical shooting, alien survival, and the physics puzzles. The physics, by thw way, are amazing. Each object behaves like you'd imagine it to, and it all adds more depth to the game. Also, I'm a huge fan of how the involve all the story and dialog in the game itself, (without taking you into a cut-scene).
    Overall,
    Overall, the game is a great advancement in the area of First Person Shooters.
  40. Nov 17, 2013
    Just a perfect game of the legendary franchise. A golden example of FPS.Everything in this game is great- plot, gameplay, characters. Also can't forget the Zombie level, it was really interesting experience.
  41. May 6, 2014
    Even in 2004 when this game came out I felt this game was only slightly above average. Don't really understand why so many people love this game. Probably only entertaining part was the puzzling section. Basically linear game play without even a cinematic to make things interesting. Felt like I was playing the first Halo, and that game at least had a good multiplayer, unless you count CS.Even in 2004 when this game came out I felt this game was only slightly above average. Don't really understand why so many people love this game. Probably only entertaining part was the puzzling section. Basically linear game play without even a cinematic to make things interesting. Felt like I was playing the first Halo, and that game at least had a good multiplayer, unless you count CS. Counter Strike may be competitive, but the Source engine is definitely showing its signs of age. And why should I be talking about Counter Strike if this is a review on Half Life? Im not going to even talk about the multiplayer that Half Life 2 came with because that just straight up sucked when I actually found people to play with. I will give this game a six for slightly above average. Expand
  42. Oct 17, 2014
    I now understand why people want half life 3. If you haven't played this game you really need to because it goes on sale so much on steam and it usually comes with a bundle for episode 1, 2, and lost coast.
  43. Nov 8, 2015
    This game rocks. Nice character and nice story. I like that you can take things and can throw that at enemies. The only thing that is not so good is that are to many loading sequences but does not matter. It is worthwile in any case anyway.
  44. Nov 14, 2015
    Timeless. Still fresh and original in 2015. Excellent art design, innovative levels, immersive story line, great sound & voices, bad ass music... classic FPS absolute gem, The best one to date imo. This blew my mind when it came out. If any one game deserves a straight 10/10, it's Half life 2. Do yourself a favor and grab a copy of this (or the orange box)
  45. Mar 26, 2011
    A very good game! A variety of characters, enemies, weapons, and environments to come across in this game. The story line is amazing, you play as Gordon Freeman who was in the original Half - life( which was amazing too). This game has a horror,action, and drama like game-play style. I recommend this game to anyone who wants a good cheap game to play for hours.
  46. Nov 9, 2011
    This game is one of the greatest games i ever played, its so huge and so immersing, you really feel like your the character that your playing and Alyx is just the best female character in a game because its doesnt appeal to sex but appeal to women that they can be brave, intelligent and pratical and also she looks like my girlfriend :P but anyways its a great game and im hopping to ValveThis game is one of the greatest games i ever played, its so huge and so immersing, you really feel like your the character that your playing and Alyx is just the best female character in a game because its doesnt appeal to sex but appeal to women that they can be brave, intelligent and pratical and also she looks like my girlfriend :P but anyways its a great game and im hopping to Valve to release the final episode of this series because i want revenge on what happen in Ep2. Expand
  47. Sep 11, 2015
    This game, OH MY GOD, this game is really the best game ever made in video game history. If you hate this game then you aren't a real gamer because this is game of all years! Nice graphics, fun gameplay, good physicals, and just overall really fun as ****
  48. Feb 7, 2015
    A nauseating first person shooter in an unrealistic and dull environment. You have to do everything the way the game wants you to, so all you do is shoot up men in masks hundreds of times using the same weapons. Story was sort of interesting, but it bored me.
  49. Apr 6, 2011
    Anybody who doesn't like this game can go die in a hole. This game is the most-beautifully constructed game ever created, and I have played quite a few beautifully constructed games. The atmosphere is amazing the graphics are unbeatable and the developers are thanked every step of the way. The gameplay is even better and the A.I, are exactly what they are meant to be - ArtificialAnybody who doesn't like this game can go die in a hole. This game is the most-beautifully constructed game ever created, and I have played quite a few beautifully constructed games. The atmosphere is amazing the graphics are unbeatable and the developers are thanked every step of the way. The gameplay is even better and the A.I, are exactly what they are meant to be - Artificial Intelligence. They have smarts and know exactly what to do and when you have loaded even the simplest map on the Hammer Editor you know how much work goes into making this. Expand
  50. Apr 5, 2012
    if you're looking endless action, endless fun, the best story ever made, the best AI, awesome and powerful guns, strong and really creepy disgusting enemies, the best graphics and physics, great soundtrack, intrigue, emotion, chills, lovely characters, the best protagonist and everything inside a FPS game, then you need to buy half life 2
  51. Oct 26, 2011
    You have never played a game so diverse in it's environments and gameplay variety, it is quite simple one of the best games I have ever played. It has managed to trump its predecessor in every conceivable way, and then some... The Graphics in 2011 aren't all that great (download Cinematic Mod) but that aside, the sheer amount of fun you can have for the price is ridiculous. You are neverYou have never played a game so diverse in it's environments and gameplay variety, it is quite simple one of the best games I have ever played. It has managed to trump its predecessor in every conceivable way, and then some... The Graphics in 2011 aren't all that great (download Cinematic Mod) but that aside, the sheer amount of fun you can have for the price is ridiculous. You are never in one place too long, or doing something for so long it becomes tedious, as the game takes you through different areas, changing your play style subtly and introducing new mechanics and weapons (such is the world renowned Gravity Gun) as well as new enemies. The story unfolds very, very well and the pacing is of the highest quality you will find in a shooter even now in 2011. Voice work is top-notch and animations can be stellar even by todays standards. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys shooters for what they are and is willing to ditch the typical iron-sight for a more classic, fire-from-the-hip feel. Trust me when I say, it is worth every cent. Expand
  52. May 7, 2012
    Possibly the greatest game of all time.
    Fantastic story, incredible gameplay, graphics that still hold up in 2012, and characters that are impossible to not love. This game, nay this masterpiece, is a landmark in gaming.
  53. Mar 29, 2013
    I do not understand why this game is getting such praise. It is middle of the road in terms of game play; It is a shooter. At this point, it has been done and there is not much else you can do to improve upon it. At least I have not seen that much yet. The story is good, granted, but I feel it could be better... And the ending feels like it ran out of money half way. 7 at best.
  54. Aug 31, 2013
    Once in a while, a game comes along that takes what previous games in that genre had and makes it better. Half-Life 2 does that and it's amazing. For a game released in 2004, it ages very well, the graphics are the best I've seen when the game came out and it was a long while until another game came along to surpass the spectacular visuals. The controls are not groundbreaking norOnce in a while, a game comes along that takes what previous games in that genre had and makes it better. Half-Life 2 does that and it's amazing. For a game released in 2004, it ages very well, the graphics are the best I've seen when the game came out and it was a long while until another game came along to surpass the spectacular visuals. The controls are not groundbreaking nor spectacular, they're simple and fun to use, especially in vehicles. This is not a war shooter or a bullet-hell one, it's more of a puzzle game at times, but you have to find the puzzles. This game works at your own pace, there are no cut-scenes, it's all in first person, so you find everything for yourself. This game gives you a freedom that most FPS games did not have at the time. If your not spoiled by the FPSs of today, you'll fall in love with this game. Expand
  55. May 3, 2013
    A sequel like you've never seen before.

Half-Life 2 is not only a sequel of a critical acclaimed video game, but is one of the best video games ever made. The plot takes place in the fictional City 17, where Gordon is woken up after his 20yrs long stasis, from original Half-Life, where he finds that the world has changed a lot in his absence, now the Earth being ruled by an unknown
    A sequel like you've never seen before.

The plot takes place in the fictional City 17, where Gordon is woken up after his 20yrs long stasis, from original Half-Life, where he finds that the world has changed a lot in his absence, now the Earth being ruled by an unknown alien race called Combine.

After the Seven Hour War, the humanity has been willingly enslaved so they will still live, rather than the whole world to be annihilated. However the player later discovers that combine suppression field will prevent them to re-product, so that the current generation is the last one.

When Gordon comes back, everybody knows him and what he has done, and practically considered a hero, and a legend.

During his journey, once again, this time Gordon doesn't fight for saving a facility, and the whole world, shortly becoming Combine's prime target, and in same time, the symbol of freedom for the Resistance.

During the plot, the player meets again the iconic characters, and antagonists from the original game, such as Eli Vance, Dr. Breen, but also the xenians that now are friends, headcrabs, zombies, and also several new characters like Alyx Vance, dr. Judith Mossman, who both later will become iconic characters of the sequel.

Half-Life 2, beyond the new friends, also features new enemies, such as Antlions, more zombie races, and others.

The gameplay is just flawless. As the first one, Half-Life 2 is a FPS, but, same, in which the player will need to solve puzzles to progress in the game, listen at splendid dialogues, and decent, mature and great conflicts.

The sequel has the same characteristics, is still linear, but with great replay value.

The level design is just astonishing, with detailed buildings, great lightning and water effects, physics, and many others.

Most of the weapons from the original game we're not kept, but many others we're introduces, such as the 9mm USP Pistol, SMG1 with it's grenade launcher, spas-12 shotgun, a re-created crossbow and RPG, a BugBait(also called Pheropod), an alien-ish AR2 Rifle, advanced grenades, and the 2 iconic weapons, the crowbar, and the Gravity Gun.

As an ,,bonus,, Half-Life 2 also features more usable vehicles, such as Airboats, and Buggies.

Beyond the game play mechanics, great level design, unbelievable story, was also introduced one of the best game's friendly and enemy AI, which are pushed to their limits and skills in both non-scripted events, but scripted as well.

Same with the physics, which are shown the same way the AI is, though regular, but scripted sequences as well.

After this, Half-Life 2 had a sort of chaotic development, like you've seen in E3 2002 gameplay and trailer, the game was totally different than the final product, as it's been set in a darker future. The original plot can be found in the Raising The Bar Book, which features concept arts, original design and others from Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, And Half-Life(both originals and the sequels).

The original plot also inspired many mods, most notable being Missing Information.

So, after all this, I guess you all have seen great/good/decent sequels, but there aren't many that not only live to the expectations, they even surpass them.

Half-Life 2 is a great shooter and is a must-own and play.
  56. Dec 6, 2016
    Contender for the greatest video game of all time... Sad the sequel is still in limbo but this is the kinda game I can play 1000 times and still love it... I'll just leave it at that
  57. May 27, 2012
    The people who rate this negative are attention whores. They are either trying to garner attention to make a statement or they are losers who are impossible to please.
  58. Nov 28, 2011
    Holy **** this has to be my favorite game of all time. The game utilizes the then new Source technology, bringing a very realistic atmosphere and backdrop. Half Life 2 brings a whole new idea to the Half Life franchise, years after the events of the first one. The game starts out in a train, much like the first one, which was very cool. The game progresses at the perfect speed, and weaponsHoly **** this has to be my favorite game of all time. The game utilizes the then new Source technology, bringing a very realistic atmosphere and backdrop. Half Life 2 brings a whole new idea to the Half Life franchise, years after the events of the first one. The game starts out in a train, much like the first one, which was very cool. The game progresses at the perfect speed, and weapons are obtained throughout the game. My final say: this game is definitely worth the purchase, and is worth its price because even when you are finished playing, you will want to replay it several more times. Pick this game up! Expand
  59. Jul 10, 2013
    I just beat it for the first time so here is an unbiased non nostalgia review.

Overall for the time when it came out the game is outstanding. You can see that it inspired many aspects in other games and is worth playing. However taken with a grain of salt the game (like most popular historical games) is over hyped due to the mystery of half life 3 and the nostalgia it brings to many.
    I just beat it for the first time so here is an unbiased non nostalgia review.

Gameplay: The game does a great job of incorporating puzzles without it being too obvious forcing you to think and use your mind without hand holding. The shooting is good but I admit having only a crossbow with a zoom is a bit annoying, I get that modern games make it too easy with every gun having a scope but none is a downer. Some of the difficulty also just becomes annoying at times instead of challenging, I found part of this mainly to do w/the graphics/lighting making it hard to see what you need to do.

Graphics: Stand the test of time and makes you think less of modern games that they have not improved more.

Story: This was my biggest complaint. I understand there is half life 1 and the half life 2 episodes but standing alone the story is not good. It is not clearly explained when only a little summary here and there would make it better. You do not really have a purpose in the game as you are just directed from point A to point B helping a resistance (but not with any goal or objective). You should not have to read wikis and time lines and history of things to understand the story of a game.

Gameplay: 4/5
    Graphics: 5/5
    Story: 2/5
  60. Jul 1, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is an exhilarating game! The graphics(even though I could care less about graphics)still hold up. The water looks amazing in this game and so does everything else. This game also has one very scary chapter called "We don't go to Ravenholm." The areas are much bigger in this game compared to Half-Life. This time there are more puzzles, physics, vehicles, and a new weapon. ThereHalf-Life 2 is an exhilarating game! The graphics(even though I could care less about graphics)still hold up. The water looks amazing in this game and so does everything else. This game also has one very scary chapter called "We don't go to Ravenholm." The areas are much bigger in this game compared to Half-Life. This time there are more puzzles, physics, vehicles, and a new weapon. There is sadly no gluon gun but there is a new weapon called the gravity gun. Don't worry though the tau cannon is back. Like the original, it feels like one big map instead of individual levels thanks to no cutscenes. Half-Life 2 is incredible. Expand
  61. Jul 21, 2013
    The game is perfect. The ending, the story, the physics. Lets begin shall we? Game graphics are prety good for its year. The physics in the game is evolutionary. No doubt its the best FPS I've ever played. Actualy best game I've played. The strongest part of the game, is the atmosphare. It gives you the feeling you are in a sandbox game how ever every step you make was already wasThe game is perfect. The ending, the story, the physics. Lets begin shall we? Game graphics are prety good for its year. The physics in the game is evolutionary. No doubt its the best FPS I've ever played. Actualy best game I've played. The strongest part of the game, is the atmosphare. It gives you the feeling you are in a sandbox game how ever every step you make was already was desinged. When you nead to feel hopeless game makes you feel like that, when you nead to be awesome. And after all the shooting mechanics and everything was prety good and required real skill... It still succseded to give you the feeling of the atmosphare with a muted character... So here is the status:
    Graphics: 10/10
    Gameplay: 10/10
    Story line: 11/10
    Physics: 10/10
    Atmosphare: 20/10
  62. Jun 25, 2014
    The correct way to make a standard fps.
    Good story, unique enemies, cool characters, and for 2004, it was pretty good!
    The only thing it lacked was weapon variety, but that's easily overlooked.
  63. Jan 2, 2016
    To get things straight, Half-Life 2 more of a 9.9 out of 10 for me, just because of the amazing story, graphics, physics, characters, game play, etc... Quite ground breaking, so close to perfect. But one TEENY tiny problem I had with the game, and the series as a whole, is that it was just so grim, scary, creepy and depressing, that it created the sort of game that once you were doneTo get things straight, Half-Life 2 more of a 9.9 out of 10 for me, just because of the amazing story, graphics, physics, characters, game play, etc... Quite ground breaking, so close to perfect. But one TEENY tiny problem I had with the game, and the series as a whole, is that it was just so grim, scary, creepy and depressing, that it created the sort of game that once you were done playing it, you'd never want to go back and play it again... Ravenholm was so damn freaky, and all the environments was so bleak that you almost got the sense that you were stuck in a world that was no longer worth fighting for. Expand
  64. Nov 26, 2010
    Its a fun game, but it is nothing like Half life 1, the first half life game was probably the best game of its genre, but half life 2 is just a generic fps. It has realy stellar graphics and engine. It has decent acting, but its story falls flat on just shooting combine and running away from combine, but the gameplay was realy well made, i want to give this game a lower rating but theyIts a fun game, but it is nothing like Half life 1, the first half life game was probably the best game of its genre, but half life 2 is just a generic fps. It has realy stellar graphics and engine. It has decent acting, but its story falls flat on just shooting combine and running away from combine, but the gameplay was realy well made, i want to give this game a lower rating but they just nailed it off to be a regular game, it is nothing special. Expand
  65. Oct 12, 2011
    This game is beast!!!!!. hurry up episode 3....................................................................................................................................
  66. Sep 29, 2012
    I don't think that this is the greatest PC game of all time, though that doesn't mean I hate it, I still think it's great. Everything about is great, the controls, story, voice acting, settings and game play. A must have.
  67. Dec 1, 2014
    So this is one of those titles I remember waiting, not much to play, not because I knew and was fan of the series; but because something big was bound to happen. The gaming show back in 2004 was all about how cool and innovative Half-Life 2 was going to be. And then it was.
    This is one of the finest gaming moments since the creation of video-games. Now that VALVE is all-powerful with steam and this is 11 years old you can pretty much almost for free there with expansions.
    Hell, 11 years after, launched pre-last gen, and still newer games can't stand against it. That says a thing or two.
  68. Feb 3, 2015
    I really enjoyed the first Half-Life, but the sequel was mediocre for the most part. The graphics were really top notch for their time, and today the Source engine is an incredible success and very well optimized. Aside from the gravity gun, the rest of the gun-play was not great. The story was mediocre, with one dull cut scene after another, some trope fostering a communist politicalI really enjoyed the first Half-Life, but the sequel was mediocre for the most part. The graphics were really top notch for their time, and today the Source engine is an incredible success and very well optimized. Aside from the gravity gun, the rest of the gun-play was not great. The story was mediocre, with one dull cut scene after another, some trope fostering a communist political overtone in an hyperbolic fascist Orwellian dystopia. Perhaps the most overrated game of all time, but still worthy of recognition and respect for the technically innovative Source game engine Expand
  69. Jun 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. >Walk a bit
    >Get suit
    >Shoot Combine Soldiers
    >Shoot Zombies
    >Shoot more Zombies
    >Shoot Combine Soldiers
    >Wait Alyx to finish talking for seven thousand years
    >More shooting
    >Shoot shooters
    >Shoot large-ass things
    >Shoot Combines
    >Shoot Combines and Zombies (COMBO)
    >Shoot large-ass Monster
    >Shoot uhh.-things
    >Explosion
    >End
    10/10 would shoot again
    (no seriously, this is not a joke, the game is like that and it is great this way.)
  70. Nov 17, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is really the first game that drew me to the Half-Life series. The original, as of the time I tried to play it, was just too frustrating and the graphics too dated to get into - at first. Then I played Half-Life 2, and realized what an interesting sci-fi world this was to explore.

Half-Life 2 got me hooked, and then I went back and played through Half-Life 1.... multiple times. Half-Life 2 is just incredible, and its hard to believe so many people play such bland... trashy FPS games these days instead of flavorful titles like Half-Life or Half-Life 2. The storytelling in Half-Life 2 is also special, despite being an action-FPS game. Like Bioshock, Half-Life 2 has a way of telling the story to the player while they are doing other things in the game in such a way that the player never really feels bored with being told a story, despite the fact that they accumulate knowledge of the world and all its intricacies throughout their gameplay experience.

The physics and gameplay are also masterworks of FPS gaming. This is one of the first gaming worlds that ever felt "real" to me. The graphics are superb for their game, and honestly are acceptable by many even considering today's standards, assuming you aren't spoiled by the recent influx of advanced-graphics FPS games these days that have crappy storylines.

If you like sci-fi and like FPS, you should definitely consider giving the Half-Life series a try - especially if the somewhat old graphics won't bother you.
  71. Apr 16, 2014
    The game I compare all others to. I love it! The first ever time I felt like I was playing a movie. It feels dated to look at now, but the game play and sound design are still far better than most new games. If you've not played it yet, BUY IT NOW! But get the PC version - the Xbox one was a poor port.
  72. May 21, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome voicing, awesome graphics at that time. simply awesome.

ps. bah on the 150 min length.
  73. Jul 23, 2012
    Not much to add here- a game every gamer should play at least once. A story, soundtrack, and experience to rival that of any other piece of fiction. Despite not really enjoying HL1's overall gameplay (and horribly dated graphics), HL2 more than makes up for it. Anyone who dismissed this game after having an unfavorable experience with its predecessor absolutely should give it a second look.
  74. Jul 29, 2012
    Exellent Game and one of my alltime Favorites. A Milestone in the Gaming History, well worth to Buy. This is probably the best sequel to any PC Game there ever was +10!
  75. Nov 16, 2012
    How people can even dislike this? I will be short: "Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman." Half. Life. Two. One of the best game ever made. A perfect sequel, a perfect game.
  76. May 26, 2013
    I'm just not as high on this game as everybody else. There is some good FPS fun fighting various kinds of creative enemies. There will be a few moments where you will kill lots of enemies at once with a car, toilet, or bouncy disintegrate thing where you will sit back and admire your work. Some of the guns are still more creative than current FPS guns. However, while its moments are great,I'm just not as high on this game as everybody else. There is some good FPS fun fighting various kinds of creative enemies. There will be a few moments where you will kill lots of enemies at once with a car, toilet, or bouncy disintegrate thing where you will sit back and admire your work. Some of the guns are still more creative than current FPS guns. However, while its moments are great, there is way too much shooting waves of basic soldiers without any of the creative others from a far distance, which is not only boring but annoying because only one gun has sights. There are too few opportunities to use the gravity gun, the very fun weapon which is really the signature piece of this game. And while I said the guns are very creative, they fall to often under the linear spell where they are used in one situation well and disregarded for the rest of the game. Basically this game is fun (and only 10 bucks) but very, very over acclaimed. Expand
  77. Apr 4, 2013
    Half life 2 is the greatest game of all time, end of story. No game can compare with this. If you haven't played this game, you are missing out on life.
  78. Oct 8, 2016
    It's as good as everyone says it is.The shooting,the driving and the puzzles are all excellent and organic.The physics engine and 60fps give everything a great feel.The gravity gun is the most fun weapon in all of gaming.This is one of the best games ever,second only to Dark Souls.
  79. Aug 19, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An amazingly well built sequel for the groundbreaking Half Life, I was very excited and was disappointed that Half Life 2 didn't meet my expectations...... IT COMPLETELY SURPASSED THEM IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE. Valve has made a complete masterpiece with this game. The enemy AI, while not as amazing as Half Life's, is still top notch. The game is very realistic. I was thrown headfirst into this world and I must say that I was completely immersed in it. The graphics are extremely good and the level design is still amazing. The water effects blew me away! The characters have very good lip syncing and extremely life like emotions with great voice acting. Every location, from the urban City 17, to the extremely creepy Ravenholm are designed very well. I think that many might say that Valve spent a long time on it and will complain but I will just say how I think all that time making it shows. If I could make it so, i would give this an 11. Expand
  80. Dec 4, 2010
    Valve must be in my brain, because they know exactly what I want. This game couldn't have been better unless it came with a free hooker.
    If you have played the first Half Life, then you will definitely want to buy to this to carry on the story and find out what happens to Freeman after G-man "hires" him. If you haven't played Half Life before, then you should still play through this at least once. It is an amazing game with an amazing story.
  81. Apr 25, 2011
    Half-Life 2: One of the best games ever made!.. Great Story, nice environments, well done characters, fun weapons(gravity gun)... Overall a Fun game!.. How can anyone not like HL2? ... My only complaint is the enemy AI, which seems a bit 'dumb' at times, because sometimes it seems they want to get shot and don't defend themselves good enough. They should have been a little more sneaky andHalf-Life 2: One of the best games ever made!.. Great Story, nice environments, well done characters, fun weapons(gravity gun)... Overall a Fun game!.. How can anyone not like HL2? ... My only complaint is the enemy AI, which seems a bit 'dumb' at times, because sometimes it seems they want to get shot and don't defend themselves good enough. They should have been a little more sneaky and harder to shoot at. Other than that, HL2 is really a great game!! Expand
  82. Jan 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's only a well-made shooter. It lasts for over 20 hours, but it has only 4 or 5 real plot twists, and all the other twists are related to the action! (like ravenholm). It seems good at the train station, but soon you'll discover the city isn't real. It's just a lot of combine soldiers. And then you'll have to kill 100 people and 20 monsters to get to the other level, where you'll drive a boat and kill another 100 people and this time 30 monsters. Then someone comes to you and says hey, I'm your father! And then you're like "Noooo!", and kill a couple hundred more. The plot can be written this short:
    - Gordon joins resistance
    - Eli is captured
    - Mossman is a traitor
    - Alyx is captured too
    - Mossman is a traitor again, so prisoners are freed
    - they blow **** up

So what kind of plot is that?? But anyway, it's nice to play in the parts where it's well made and not too repetitive. For example the lighthouse, turret defense and driving parts I liked.

After all, a well made linear FPS is always better than a non-linear game gone wrong. For example Far Cry 2 tries to create a free world, but it fails miserably.
  83. Jan 25, 2011
    An overrated game, though I am reviewing it 7 years later from release. The plot is pretty poor, the characters are extremely boring, I don't have empathy for anyone here. The gravity gun is fun for a bit, then it is used outside of what is expected from the developers - I was using it to make staircases, and have other "fun" outside of the scripted level. Very good at the time, but nowAn overrated game, though I am reviewing it 7 years later from release. The plot is pretty poor, the characters are extremely boring, I don't have empathy for anyone here. The gravity gun is fun for a bit, then it is used outside of what is expected from the developers - I was using it to make staircases, and have other "fun" outside of the scripted level. Very good at the time, but now somewhat boring. Expand
  84. Jul 22, 2011
    Words cannot even DESCRIBE, How brilliant and well made this game is. Considerably the best FPS series i've played in my life. Brilliant Game play, Awesome voice acting, A Terrific Story. Trust me. When you buy this game, Your gaming Life will be complete.
  85. Sep 18, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is an amazing game that should be in every household for FPS fans. This is the best FPS I have ever played. The story and voice acting was performed and done perfectly in every aspect, all the emotions and dialog was spot on with the events happening in the game. The story of Half-Life is truly amazing. It pull's you in and makes you want to keep playing, when most of the timeHalf-Life 2 is an amazing game that should be in every household for FPS fans. This is the best FPS I have ever played. The story and voice acting was performed and done perfectly in every aspect, all the emotions and dialog was spot on with the events happening in the game. The story of Half-Life is truly amazing. It pull's you in and makes you want to keep playing, when most of the time with first person shooters, the formula is "Go here, kill those guys, BIG EXPLOSION, game end". But with Half-Life 2, they slow down and take some time to think. And not only that, the action is amazing and fun. There is only one problem and that is that the AI is stupid and lacking at times, but it doesn't effect the game play that much, it just makes the enemies a little easier. Any gamer that has a brain in their head, should own this game, or have at least played it. Expand
  86. Oct 9, 2012
    Lo primero que debes hacer si estas leyendo esto y aun no has jugado a este juego es ir corriendo a comprarlo/descargarlo/loqueseaperohazloya!! porque es el mejor juego de las últimas décadas (el mejor que yo he jugado). La primera vez, de las muchas que me lo pasé, fue una experiencia genial e increible:
    gráficos, sonido, ambientación, inteligencia de
    gráficos, sonido, ambientación, inteligencia de los enemigos, y por encima de todo, jugabilidad.
    Es el juego en primera persona mas profundo, variado, imaginativo y divertido que existe!
    Una obra maestra que aunque tenga ocho años, sigue siendo imbatible hoy en día.
    Gráficos: 10 Sonido: 9 Diversión/jugabilidad: 10 Duracíon: 8,5
  87. Apr 25, 2012
    Took me eight years to finish Half-Life 2, but it was certainly worth the wait for my sake. Sure, I wish I'd finished it when it was newer, but better late than never. The story is great in traditional Half-Life tradition, and if you haven't gotten around to play this game you'd better make sure you do now!
  88. Jan 19, 2013
    This is the best game i've ever played , it is the perfect style of game , no doubt of it.
    The storyline is amazing (pretty much in all hl games) , this is a 10 no doubt of it , if there was an 11 I'll put it, best game , deal with it.
  89. Jan 30, 2013
    Graphics are fair by nowadays standards, but plot is still quite good. Althougt gameplay is like going in the tube and there is no interactive options with storyline. Still after nearly 10 years this game feels like futuristic.
  90. Sep 12, 2014
    It's old, but not dead, I can replay it several times across a long time and it still entertains me more than other more modern games. Good job Valve, waiting for Half-Life 3.
  91. Dec 24, 2010
    A pretty okay game that makes up for a mediocre shooter model by containing an incredible amount of variety. I'd doubt it's actually a shooter at all, but rather an action adventure game, considering the content. You're never doing the same thing for more than an hour throughout the entire game. The story is run-of-the-mill and characters are put in only to say your name and praise youA pretty okay game that makes up for a mediocre shooter model by containing an incredible amount of variety. I'd doubt it's actually a shooter at all, but rather an action adventure game, considering the content. You're never doing the same thing for more than an hour throughout the entire game. The story is run-of-the-mill and characters are put in only to say your name and praise you like you're Jesus, but the way it's told, mainly through allusion and details in the environment, is brilliant. Expand
  92. Nov 6, 2013
    Once again Valve raised the bar for the shooter genre and created a blueprint that others would follow for years in its wake. Beautiful visuals that still hold up to this day, immersive and interactive storytelling, creative never-seen-before physics puzzles, and one of the most innovative weapons(Gravity Gun) ever created.
  93. Sep 10, 2012
    Awesome game, impressively well balanced, fun to play, even over and over, simple but efficient at what it does : entertainment. Clearly, here Valve has shown to everyone that it is possible to make a great FPS without having to be weaker on some other aspects of the game. Hats off.
  94. Feb 3, 2012
    The greatest modern FPS game!
    Although it was made in 2004, it is way ahead of many modern games, like Call of Duty!
    Think of it as like Classical Greece compared to the Persian empire!
    It is the only game I know that can rival Doom or Heretic!
  95. Jan 15, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game. I really did. It's just way too gimmicky. There only a few types of enemies - Headcrabs, zombies, soldiers, and antlions are basically the only enemies you really see in the game. The vehicle levels are atrocious and it focuses far too much on gimmicks like the gravity gun (though the ending segment with the high-powered gravity gun was awesome). Overall,I really wanted to like this game. I really did. It's just way too gimmicky. There only a few types of enemies - Headcrabs, zombies, soldiers, and antlions are basically the only enemies you really see in the game. The vehicle levels are atrocious and it focuses far too much on gimmicks like the gravity gun (though the ending segment with the high-powered gravity gun was awesome). Overall, it just lacks a lot of the personality and atmosphere of the original Half-Life. If you want a great story-based FPS, go buy the original Half-Life on Steam now, and pass up this one. You won't regret it. Expand
  96. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is virtually perfect in every aspect. The graphics are beautiful, the plot is amazing, and the characters deep. When I first played this game, I couldn't stop thinking about it. It is easy to tell the developers of this game and other valve games, love their job. I hope they do, because they do it d*mn well. The puzzles aren't what you'd normally think. They they make you think,This game is virtually perfect in every aspect. The graphics are beautiful, the plot is amazing, and the characters deep. When I first played this game, I couldn't stop thinking about it. It is easy to tell the developers of this game and other valve games, love their job. I hope they do, because they do it d*mn well. The puzzles aren't what you'd normally think. They they make you think, like they did in Portal and Portal 2. This game can be funny, scary, disturbing, and great. If you have played and liked Half Life, get this game and episodes 1 & 2. If you didn't like HL1 or haven't played it, just get ALL of them! Gosh! Now, about Half Life 3... (valve can't count to three though L4D 1 & 2 Portal 2 TF2 HL2 episode 2. HL3 is probably going to be HL2 episode 2 part 2) Expand
  97. Dec 15, 2012
    This game combines the genres of strategy and shooting. We focus on Gordon Freeman explains that although the alleged "deal" he made with Gman. Well in this game you have to solve puzzles while killing the soldiers of the alliance. Good story even better to Half life 1 and the best part is when you make your rebellion with civilians. If I win in VGA "game of the decade"
  98. Jul 5, 2013
    I honestly have never enjoyed an FPS as much as I did this one. Fast paced action, challenging AI, amazing storytelling, (not to mention some fun little physics puzzles), this games got it all! This is a must-buy for any adventure-FPS fan.
  99. Nov 6, 2013
    Great game, although I have to say. Playing it over and over again really digs into your skull that it's quite boring.
    (Sorry guys and gals. It's still good).
  100. Dec 16, 2013
    Half Life 2 is pure gaming high school at its best. Since the release of the first episode, Half Life put itself as a model of excellence for all other FPS (and not only FPS...). This second episode not only absolutely confirms the unique values of its predecessor, but also introduces new, incredible features to the first masterpiece. Incredible physics engine and physics puzzles aboveHalf Life 2 is pure gaming high school at its best. Since the release of the first episode, Half Life put itself as a model of excellence for all other FPS (and not only FPS...). This second episode not only absolutely confirms the unique values of its predecessor, but also introduces new, incredible features to the first masterpiece. Incredible physics engine and physics puzzles above all.

Any gamer that calls himself a gamer should play this artwork at least once. This is gaming history at its most glorious peaks. No one should miss it.

3. Playboy