Half-Life 2 PC

9.2

1. Feb 5, 2012
    You spend a lot of this game doing repetitive tasks. The game is very linear and each sort of 'stage' or 'chapter' in the game seems to be really dragged out. For example the chapter called 'Water Hazard' (I think that's what it's called) you tend to end up being able to guess what you have to do next as you've done it a billion times already. Often you'll also find yourself going onYou spend a lot of this game doing repetitive tasks. The game is very linear and each sort of 'stage' or 'chapter' in the game seems to be really dragged out. For example the chapter called 'Water Hazard' (I think that's what it's called) you tend to end up being able to guess what you have to do next as you've done it a billion times already. Often you'll also find yourself going on really long-winded routes to overcome one obstacle, which is obviously just to make the game last longer.
    However I do agree that it's a very innovative and original game, and the graphics and physics are impressive.
  2. Nov 7, 2012
    There is a good structure of level design, which varies from: run and gun, tactical shooting, alien survival, and the physics puzzles. The physics, by thw way, are amazing. Each object behaves like you'd imagine it to, and it all adds more depth to the game. Also, I'm a huge fan of how the involve all the story and dialog in the game itself, (without taking you into a cut-scene).
    Overall,
    Overall, the game is a great advancement in the area of First Person Shooters.
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    As of now, this game hasn't really aged well. The combat is extremely simple and boring, just point at the enemy and hold left click. The only thing interesting is the Gravity Gun, but that's also kind of boring because even games like Sonic 06 implemented this combat feature for Silver the Hedgehog. So yes, the combat is meh.

The graphics is still pretty good for today if it has

The graphics is still pretty good for today if it has improved lighting and better textures. The story is very uninteresting, I also don't feel attached to characters like Alyx, Barney, and others. Like the part when you are seperated from Alyx and you have to go to Ravenholm. I'm just like, meh I'll move on. I don't feel worried of other characters in danger and all that For a game that is supposed to be story driven, it is extremely BAD AT STORY.

People say that this game is a physics puzzle game, but guess what? None of the puzzles are hard. All it takes is to stack enough objects on one specific place and move on. Nothing challenging there, so why is it a physics puzzle game?

The game is very linear, but also provides some exploring you can do to find hidden pockets of extra health, armor and ammo, which is stupid because you'll encounter a lot of them on plain sight, so you can survive this game on hard mode without ever finding the hidden supplies.

Overall, for today's standard, it is an average cookie-cutter first person shooter and for $10, it's good I guess.
  4. Oct 5, 2013
    "Gordon Freeman!?" "Gordon Freeman!" "Gordon Freeman??!" Graphically, HL2 has aged gracefully, gameplay has not. Dry, extended sections of shooting the same character model over and over again, dull, stupid AI that bumrushes (enemy) or constantly gets in the way (friendly) and annoying platforming sections (still) in a FPS whose character slips and slides around, uncontrollably at times."Gordon Freeman!?" "Gordon Freeman!" "Gordon Freeman??!" Graphically, HL2 has aged gracefully, gameplay has not. Dry, extended sections of shooting the same character model over and over again, dull, stupid AI that bumrushes (enemy) or constantly gets in the way (friendly) and annoying platforming sections (still) in a FPS whose character slips and slides around, uncontrollably at times. Overrated when it came out, and overrated now. Expand
  5. Aug 24, 2013
    I dont know, HOW some people can love this crap in the present day? This game have not so much, just good gameplay and nothig more. Not genious story, not awesome graphic, just a game. Without mods it should be suck.
  6. Mar 20, 2013
    They say this was a really great game and I bought it on steam. I played this game for 15 hrs and all I can say is it is not engaging and really boring. It is a big letdown and I dont even know why it is great. Maybe in the middle of the game it got good? Maybe if I get time i will try to continue but so far it is boring as hell. Borderlands was great and engaging, this one is not.
  7. Apr 17, 2013
    The most overrated game of all time. The silent protagonist is dated even by 2004 standards. The graphics are good, but lack spirit. The guns don't feel quite powerfull enough. The story is nothing special, unoriginal even. It feel like they just made it up as they went along.
    It's not a bad game, but it definetly not a great game let alone a classic one.
  8. Sep 3, 2013
    Half-Life 2 is very average game. The game is a very linear shooter with very little deviation from the main path. Only to collect ammo which is everywhere so it doesn't matter. It offers no replay value and its a short 8 hour experience compared to many RPGs that go for 30hours. The story is quiet good but even this has problems. It is presented by conversations but the volume of the NPCsHalf-Life 2 is very average game. The game is a very linear shooter with very little deviation from the main path. Only to collect ammo which is everywhere so it doesn't matter. It offers no replay value and its a short 8 hour experience compared to many RPGs that go for 30hours. The story is quiet good but even this has problems. It is presented by conversations but the volume of the NPCs is so unbalanced to the game I can't hear them. There is also no explanation for most of what is going on. The ending is very good but it comes at the end of a bland level and "boss fight". The game looks good and has great sound and some cool weapons, but that isn't enough to save it. I can't recommend this to anyone. Expand
  9. Jul 18, 2013
    Moderators are deleting my post? because I am rating the game low? Really!?!?! Well keep doing it mods cuz I am going to put my 2 cents out there 1 way or another.

People are only giving this game high rating to counter-act the people giving 0-4 red scores. This game is massively over hyped, or people have low expectations, hell if you just came from playing HL1 or Solitaire, or barney & friends you should be having much more fun on this game than those.

However the facts are this is a completely 100% linear lane, only can be argued by the fact they have "puzzles" in the game, its just a nuisance and something added in to make you think, and force the game to take longer than it should. I like the fact they make me think but atleast make the puzzles fun. I mean really stacking boxes, or holding down the E button to lift/drop gates, etc... Its not fun! Why do people think this is fun, to give a game a 10 is like saying its perfect These puzzles are fun for you? If they're great! but please don't give it a 10 these puzzles are not fun.

Along with the puzzles. There is no weapon, or character progression, EVERYTHING IS >>>SCRIPTED
  10. Apr 28, 2013
    Ten years ago this game was set a new benchmark for the whole gaming industry, many considered this the best/ or one of the best games ever made... Ten years later however things have change.. and in short this game has not aged well...
    With a silence protagonist you try to save the world.. no side quest, extremely linear, just a handful of different enemies and not very challenging... by today's standards this is a very average game.. However this a testament of how much the gaming experience has evolve and grown over the years...
  11. Sep 26, 2012
    Really? Are people still raving about this after all these years? To be fair the gameplay's solid enough, the graphics are still surprisingly good and ther's just enough variety and twists to keep you playing till the end. I'll give HL2 it's due; it's still a good game (and fairly influential too) but certainly not the great game it was in 2004. Hate to break it to you fan boys but all theReally? Are people still raving about this after all these years? To be fair the gameplay's solid enough, the graphics are still surprisingly good and ther's just enough variety and twists to keep you playing till the end. I'll give HL2 it's due; it's still a good game (and fairly influential too) but certainly not the great game it was in 2004. Hate to break it to you fan boys but all the things HF2 did that seemed ground breaking and/or mind blowing back in the day have been improved and expanded on many times now. Try playing any of the Uncharted games, Resident Evil 4 or Gears of War then tell me the plot, atmosphere or pacing is so great. Expand
  12. May 6, 2014
    Even in 2004 when this game came out I felt this game was only slightly above average. Don't really understand why so many people love this game. Probably only entertaining part was the puzzling section. Basically linear game play without even a cinematic to make things interesting. Felt like I was playing the first Halo, and that game at least had a good multiplayer, unless you count CS.Even in 2004 when this game came out I felt this game was only slightly above average. Don't really understand why so many people love this game. Probably only entertaining part was the puzzling section. Basically linear game play without even a cinematic to make things interesting. Felt like I was playing the first Halo, and that game at least had a good multiplayer, unless you count CS. Counter Strike may be competitive, but the Source engine is definitely showing its signs of age. And why should I be talking about Counter Strike if this is a review on Half Life? Im not going to even talk about the multiplayer that Half Life 2 came with because that just straight up sucked when I actually found people to play with. I will give this game a six for slightly above average. Expand
  13. Apr 15, 2014
    Some issues, firstly, the character you're playing as does not utter a single word during the game, it felt like I was playing Pokemon with guns mixed with that alien film, I found the game to be extremely racist in terms of the liquid based hazards, the clear water is nice and non-poisonous, the multicolored liquid is the opposite, just what sort of racist ideologies are Valve trying toSome issues, firstly, the character you're playing as does not utter a single word during the game, it felt like I was playing Pokemon with guns mixed with that alien film, I found the game to be extremely racist in terms of the liquid based hazards, the clear water is nice and non-poisonous, the multicolored liquid is the opposite, just what sort of racist ideologies are Valve trying to force onto us!?
    Overall, fun game with nice mechanics and a good mix of puzzle solving and action, nice one Valve.
    I give it a six.
  14. Mar 29, 2013
    I played this game back when it came out, and sure it was fun, but it wasn't as great as it's made out to be. Sure I'll be hated for this, but the game is really just an above average shooter. The enemies are extremely repetitive and the AI is pretty useless considering 70% of the time they just stand still and shoot. Ravenholm isn't scary and the zombies are easily killed. The best partI played this game back when it came out, and sure it was fun, but it wasn't as great as it's made out to be. Sure I'll be hated for this, but the game is really just an above average shooter. The enemies are extremely repetitive and the AI is pretty useless considering 70% of the time they just stand still and shoot. Ravenholm isn't scary and the zombies are easily killed. The best part of the game is the story and characters, for that it deserves genuine praise. From a 2004 point of view, some aspects were groundbreaking, but fact is, you can't give a game so much praise just because it's amazing in some areas, and average in others. I know this isn't popular opinion, but I genuinely feel this way about the game. Overrated? Yeah, I'd say so. Not too much, but still by a bit. Expand
  15. Dec 22, 2013
    I am really sorry to say that but I can't bear with this game. As other have said it is quite boring and repetitive and it is not fun. I am an occasional player and can't play hours just hoping that it would possibly get better. It's boring from the start.
  16. Aug 26, 2013
    i personally think that half life 2 is the most overrated game of all time i can't see anything special about this game you're running from soldiers hitting some soldiers killing zombies and that's it the story is not good as it seems and the protagonist is so boring he never says a word the entire game in the end it isn't bad but it doesn't deserve all that hype about it
  17. Nov 9, 2013
    This is a game I bought because of the hype and the awards it got but then did not see what was so good about it, the game had a massive world and brilliant graphics that still stand today, but it does not change my opinion that it slowly got repetitive and boring and did not have a clear path or story. It was ok, but not amazing by any standard.
  18. Jan 18, 2015
    I've played this game when it first came out in 2004, and now, after 10 years, I've decided to play it again. I remember, I loved this game back then, it had some awesome graphics which was well optimised as well, and loved the different uniqe parts (ie. driving a buggy, etc.). Now, the game is basically OK, but it has a lot of flaws. First, it happened to me a lot that I got stuck in someI've played this game when it first came out in 2004, and now, after 10 years, I've decided to play it again. I remember, I loved this game back then, it had some awesome graphics which was well optimised as well, and loved the different uniqe parts (ie. driving a buggy, etc.). Now, the game is basically OK, but it has a lot of flaws. First, it happened to me a lot that I got stuck in some terrain object/wall piece/etc., which is pretty frustrating in the middle of combat. The "helpers" are more like a pain in the @ss rather than helpful, they are always in the wrong place and one just can't move freely because of them (especially in the heat of a battle). But my biggest concern is the story: throughout the game, I didn't have a clue what is happening. It was always like "Run, Gordon!" "You have to go to place B!" and so on. And there are no cutscenes or other story telling points, only your companions, who tell you you have to do this and do that. It was just a big running, with lot of fights, but for what and why, it was not clear to me.

So it's still a good game which is worth playing, but I think it's just overhyped - there are lot of others which I played through more times and enjoyed more.
  19. Nov 9, 2011
    In Valve's "Half Life 2", each and every level is unique and cool. The graphics are pretty sexy if you compare it with the standard rate. However, The gameplay was too original; i've played these kind of puzzle FPS before. I'm not saying its bad; there's a profound story and shocking visuals that covers this up, but I expected more than just running around in cars and boats, stopping byIn Valve's "Half Life 2", each and every level is unique and cool. The graphics are pretty sexy if you compare it with the standard rate. However, The gameplay was too original; i've played these kind of puzzle FPS before. I'm not saying its bad; there's a profound story and shocking visuals that covers this up, but I expected more than just running around in cars and boats, stopping by for some zombie kills and ammo, and repeat that stuff all over again. In conclusion, it's a solidly great game that will entertain you as a game no more or no less Expand
  20. Jan 23, 2015
    Overrated game that is for some reason considered a classic. Half life 2 is the old sick man of video games. Its cliche themes and poor optimization make it quite an overrated mess.
  21. Jan 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's only a well-made shooter. It lasts for over 20 hours, but it has only 4 or 5 real plot twists, and all the other twists are related to the action! (like ravenholm). It seems good at the train station, but soon you'll discover the city isn't real. It's just a lot of combine soldiers. And then you'll have to kill 100 people and 20 monsters to get to the other level, where you'll drive a boat and kill another 100 people and this time 30 monsters. Then someone comes to you and says hey, I'm your father! And then you're like "Noooo!", and kill a couple hundred more. The plot can be written this short:
    - Gordon joins resistance
    - Eli is captured
    - Mossman is a traitor
    - Alyx is captured too
    - Mossman is a traitor again, so prisoners are freed
    - they blow **** up

So what kind of plot is that?? But anyway, it's nice to play in the parts where it's well made and not too repetitive. For example the lighthouse, turret defense and driving parts I liked.

After all, a well made linear FPS is always better than a non-linear game gone wrong. For example Far Cry 2 tries to create a free world, but it fails miserably.
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game. I really did. It's just way too gimmicky. There only a few types of enemies - Headcrabs, zombies, soldiers, and antlions are basically the only enemies you really see in the game. The vehicle levels are atrocious and it focuses far too much on gimmicks like the gravity gun (though the ending segment with the high-powered gravity gun was awesome). Overall,I really wanted to like this game. I really did. It's just way too gimmicky. There only a few types of enemies - Headcrabs, zombies, soldiers, and antlions are basically the only enemies you really see in the game. The vehicle levels are atrocious and it focuses far too much on gimmicks like the gravity gun (though the ending segment with the high-powered gravity gun was awesome). Overall, it just lacks a lot of the personality and atmosphere of the original Half-Life. If you want a great story-based FPS, go buy the original Half-Life on Steam now, and pass up this one. You won't regret it. Expand
  23. Jul 5, 2012
    IMHO Half Life 2 is a good game, but for some odd reason, is quite overrated. The game has a great focus on story and a wonderful sense of atmosphere. But for some reason, it feels flat and largely quite boring. In parts the lengthof levels is too long and I find the pacing quite tedious. Also the story does nothing for me. I can only assume that Half Life 2 introduce a generation ofIMHO Half Life 2 is a good game, but for some odd reason, is quite overrated. The game has a great focus on story and a wonderful sense of atmosphere. But for some reason, it feels flat and largely quite boring. In parts the lengthof levels is too long and I find the pacing quite tedious. Also the story does nothing for me. I can only assume that Half Life 2 introduce a generation of younger gamers to the story based FPS and/or immersive sim/fps (perhaps those who did not experience Looking Glass games etc?). Good for them. Just not for me.
    TLDR: Good. But not best game ever.
  24. Aug 28, 2011
    Half-Life 2 feels overall quite polished. Yet I must say, I can't rate it higher than a 7/10. Some parts are simply too long (especially the vehicle-parts), while others come short. There is a good variety of weapons and though you will use each at least once, you want some maps in the end where you just can freely choose your favourite gun. You won't regret finishing the game, but somehowHalf-Life 2 feels overall quite polished. Yet I must say, I can't rate it higher than a 7/10. Some parts are simply too long (especially the vehicle-parts), while others come short. There is a good variety of weapons and though you will use each at least once, you want some maps in the end where you just can freely choose your favourite gun. You won't regret finishing the game, but somehow it feels like most of the choices you make, are already made by the developers for you. On the good side: The scripted events are placed perfectly and far better than in most later games I've played. And they make up for a good alternation. Expand
  25. Nov 24, 2012
    Good game.
    If every software house did a game like that, we would all be happy: challenging gameplay, good story, pretty good graphics and good longevity.
  26. May 26, 2013
    I'm just not as high on this game as everybody else. There is some good FPS fun fighting various kinds of creative enemies. There will be a few moments where you will kill lots of enemies at once with a car, toilet, or bouncy disintegrate thing where you will sit back and admire your work. Some of the guns are still more creative than current FPS guns. However, while its moments are great,I'm just not as high on this game as everybody else. There is some good FPS fun fighting various kinds of creative enemies. There will be a few moments where you will kill lots of enemies at once with a car, toilet, or bouncy disintegrate thing where you will sit back and admire your work. Some of the guns are still more creative than current FPS guns. However, while its moments are great, there is way too much shooting waves of basic soldiers without any of the creative others from a far distance, which is not only boring but annoying because only one gun has sights. There are too few opportunities to use the gravity gun, the very fun weapon which is really the signature piece of this game. And while I said the guns are very creative, they fall to often under the linear spell where they are used in one situation well and disregarded for the rest of the game. Basically this game is fun (and only 10 bucks) but very, very over acclaimed. Expand
  27. Jul 9, 2013
    Meh, it's okay.
    Half-Life 2 does a lot of things right. It looks great, plays great, has a large interconnected world, and has a fairly interesting story with cool characters.
    Meh, it's okay.
    Except the game feels somewhat tedious. Every level is similar to the last later on in the game. You kill the same/similar enemies over and over again. Every now and then there is a driving section to break up the tedium, but those suck.

This game is really overrated. I've played much better FPS games than Half-Life 2; games that were far less tedious and less boring. It's a good game, just not that great.
  28. Mar 29, 2013
    I do not understand why this game is getting such praise. It is middle of the road in terms of game play; It is a shooter. At this point, it has been done and there is not much else you can do to improve upon it. At least I have not seen that much yet. The story is good, granted, but I feel it could be better... And the ending feels like it ran out of money half way. 7 at best.
  29. Jan 13, 2014
    breaking it down:
    hl2 is a brilliant masterpiece, or to be precisely: the engine is the best since...well hl1 i guess.
    the new, sharp looking graphics and awesome, never seen before physics, were state of the art back then and have brought us many, MANY great looking games. apart from this half life 2 is a dumbed down ripoff of the first game, the story is poor/hollywoodstyle with
    breaking it down:

apart from this half life 2 is a dumbed down ripoff of the first game, the story is poor/hollywoodstyle with little surprises.
    even worse: the intend of the devs to make it EPISODE 1(to sell more eps after the first) is a good indicator for how they write storys...they didnt!
    as an fps it was slower, the enemies where not as "smart" and, apart from the hand-holding(the robot/girl), the unlimited grav gun really messed it up for me(get a chunk of trash/barrel/whatever and shoot at enemy-->instakill), leaving you with enough ammo at any given time.

i wont even start about steam.

try black mesa, the hl1 mod for hl2 engine and see for yourself.

BUT if you are not such an old ***** as myself, and dont know about the glorious times of fps games,
    when enemys tried to actually kill you, instead of running for cover, it sure looks like a well made game.

i think it doesnt deserve 9,2 user and 96 meta score, and thats just my personal op.

8/10 (back then and 7 now because ooolllddd)
  30. Aug 11, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is a cool game. Tricky and exciting. I like it. The gravity gun. The big bugs. They are endless and really annoying. But once you kill their momma and take its organ they will all become your slaves. Your loyal army. I really liked that part. But I find the story uninteresting.

3. Playboy