Half-Life PC

9.1

1. AndyE.
    Jul 1, 2007
    This game will go down in history as one of the best first person shoots to ever have graced us with its presence back when everyone had the old CTR Moniters.
  2. JeremiahJ.
    Jul 6, 2007
    Very scary! Great game, i recommend this game to anyone who isn't too jumpy!
  3. AndyS.
    Aug 11, 2007
    This is the best game i have ever played, the adventurous storyline will keep you hooked. Though the graphics are not top notch, the game is what really gets you going.
  4. ColeM.
    Aug 26, 2007
    Best first person action game ever made! Puzzles and tricky situations along with heavy batttles with aliens, marines, and even both at the same time! Any gamer must play this legendary Valve title!
  5. YiuC.H.
    Aug 9, 2007
    Although made almost 10 years ago, but the replay value remains like its made yesterday.
  6. RustyC.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Very very fun! Fair storytelling ability, and great graphics even now! I like it better than HL-2 because it can lock the gore and has less swearing.
  7. SpencerC.
    Feb 26, 2008
    The first time I saw a headcrab, I nearly crapped my pants. Even though this was a good 7 years after the game was released, I was still scared to be alone. Just screenshots of the game scared the crap out of me when I was in fifth grade. All the intuitive enemies; barnacles, headcrabs, bullsquids, marines, black ops, vorginauts, headcrab zombies, tentacles, and those giant blue things The first time I saw a headcrab, I nearly crapped my pants. Even though this was a good 7 years after the game was released, I was still scared to be alone. Just screenshots of the game scared the crap out of me when I was in fifth grade. All the intuitive enemies; barnacles, headcrabs, bullsquids, marines, black ops, vorginauts, headcrab zombies, tentacles, and those giant blue things that were really hard to kill, they all haunted me for another 3 years to come. The playstyle, everything about this game sent shivers down my spine. You'd have to be a monster to not like this game. Expand
  8. Kent
    Apr 25, 2008
    10 seriously is not a high enough rating for this game, there should be a "Half-Life" rating, exclusive to this game. This is and possibly always will be my favourite game. The game play is absolutely amazing. The attention to detail on every level is superb (the casserole in the microwave). It had that something special that made it such a special game, maybe it was the awesome scripted 10 seriously is not a high enough rating for this game, there should be a "Half-Life" rating, exclusive to this game. This is and possibly always will be my favourite game. The game play is absolutely amazing. The attention to detail on every level is superb (the casserole in the microwave). It had that something special that made it such a special game, maybe it was the awesome scripted sequences, the excellent graphics (for its time) and sets, or the good storyline. If you are an FPS fan, you have to complete this game. Just a hint, if you get this game these days try and find what is known as the High Definition pack, it gives the game a great overhaul and the graphics increase is excellent. It basically adds new textures to most of the characters and makes the weapons look far more realistic. It really does add to the playability. Expand
  9. BrandonM
    May 19, 2008
    Easily one the best games I played for its time. The game itself and all of the mods based off its engine literally had me playing the game for 4-5 years until HL2 came out.
  10. G-man
    Jul 25, 2008
    This is a very good FPS. There's ten years ago when they made this. This game have best storyline in the world. Graphics are not the best but this is old game. I really like it! But Gman is really mysterious, I wanna know more about him.
  11. TimC.
    Aug 13, 2008
    Without a doubt one of the most ground breaking fps's of all time, brilliant and innovative gameplay from start to finish. I brought this game when it came out, played it to death and i have recently brought it on steam and i am replaying it to death.
  12. LukeK.
    Aug 30, 2008
    Awesome game, I still like it and I don't think I can compare any game with this, In my opinion this is better than Halo 1.
  13. KevM.
    Nov 14, 2006
    This game is a classic that will go down in history with games like doom and quake. Truely a first person shooter pioneer in pc games.
  14. FedorH.
    Dec 19, 2006
    The best game ever made!
  15. AntonA.
    May 17, 2006
    I love this game!
  16. ElijahW.
    May 24, 2006
    Still kicks butt, even after playing farcry and HL 2 before it. lol. awesomeness to the creators.
  17. AnthonyP.
    May 25, 2006
    Best first person shooter of its time. Very addictive!
  18. MegatronS.
    Jun 16, 2006
    Excellent game. I have been playing it for over 5 years now and I still love it.
  19. AlexeiL.
    Nov 9, 2007
    Easily one of the best games I've ever played, it truly recreated the FPS genre.
  20. ThadM.
    Dec 19, 2007
    I was bored and on my steam and i wanted to read some of the reviews of my games i was so amazed to see that some people actually gave half life less than a 10 half life changed gaming it was more than just like ever other stupid game that made you shoot and then shoot and then shoot some more.The Ai was amazing for the time and the storyline was by far the best in any fps at the time if I was bored and on my steam and i wanted to read some of the reviews of my games i was so amazed to see that some people actually gave half life less than a 10 half life changed gaming it was more than just like ever other stupid game that made you shoot and then shoot and then shoot some more.The Ai was amazing for the time and the storyline was by far the best in any fps at the time if you can somehow rate this game badly you are not a gamer and do not respect the field you need to just go play with your myspace and never game agian. Expand
  21. JoshC.
    Feb 14, 2007
    Best game out there definitely the best game ever fun action!
  22. SteveM.
    Mar 24, 2007
    This was my FIRST FPS and is what got me started in online gaming. I still believe this is the BEST FPS ever made.
  23. BenjaminC.
    Apr 14, 2007
    Classic. Like Super Mario and Metroid, this game continues to satisfy the FPS gamer. Yes it has aged (quite well) but I still find myself running through the single player often. The mods are amazing as well.
  24. GeneG.
    May 26, 2007
    A true testament not just to FPS but to PC Gaming. Set the bar for all FPS's to follow.
  25. AaronK.
    Jul 21, 2007
    Amazing game! Excellent story, Not as scary as hl2 but excllent!
  26. WayneW.
    Jul 28, 2007
    Even though newer games have better graphics, this game beats them overall. Played it multiple times.
  27. AmishP.
    Jan 16, 2008
    Half-Life is probably the best game to ever have been produced. Sure graphics nowadays are much better but the impact the game had on all the gamers at that time, in 1998 changed their world. Let's put it this way, Half-life was so ahead of it's time in terms of graphics and storyline that it definitely leaves an imprint in you - an imprint of amazement and surrealism. Today Half-Life is probably the best game to ever have been produced. Sure graphics nowadays are much better but the impact the game had on all the gamers at that time, in 1998 changed their world. Let's put it this way, Half-life was so ahead of it's time in terms of graphics and storyline that it definitely leaves an imprint in you - an imprint of amazement and surrealism. Today games come out with really good graphics - Half Life 2, Halo 3...but you're sort of expecting that, since we've done leaps in graphics technology. But picture this - let's say that by magic you manage to get your hands onto a game that actually belongs to the future - 5 years from now and you're playing it! Well that's exactly how it felt and that's why half-life deserves a 10! Expand
  28. TsayJason
    Apr 23, 2008
    It has great action, story and mysterious nice game. I am very expect it revised edition black mesa:source.
  29. PS3Sucks
    Jun 28, 2008
    This game is the ability to tell a great story with no cutscenes, shooting many different aliens with every weapon you can imagine, and great graphics for the time with music to boot.
  30. TimmyB.
    Dec 26, 2006
    This is the best game ever. No other game can ever beat this game. If you don't already have it buy it of buy Half-Life 2 and get the digitaly remastered version of it. Graphically speaking this game is a 5/10 but with everything else it is a 10/10.
  31. Mar 30, 2012
    This game is still a masterpiece and makes me proud to be a gamer. Despite being a handsome game for the late 90's Half-Life now looks very dated. However teh brilliant gameplay is still there. You can't call yourself a hardcore gamer unless you've played Half-Life.
  32. Aug 20, 2010
    This game blew my mind. The storyline combines puzzles, action and exploring in a perfect harmony which makes Half-Life one of the history's most important game. Still today it gives me a lot of gameplay. The multiplayer is absolutely worth a shot, especially during LAN's since on-line is not so very crowded and the people playing are veterans.
  33. May 20, 2012
    A lot of people base their reviews on nostalgia on older games. And while this still is a very nostalgic game it still lives up to this day in terms of gameplay. Half-Life was the first first person shooter that truly did not focus all its attention on the action; it also focused on the atmosphere, story, and puzzle like elements. It laid the footsteps for other first person shooters to follow.
  34. Jun 23, 2011
    Half Life for me is truly a brilliant game. The level designs were impeccable for its day, and, yes there may be no dialogue, but could you imagine Gordon Freeman speaking?

The weaponry was well placed, due to the best weaponry (Experimental) being placed near the end, with the ammo for the heavy guns particulate not being laden all over, but in places that were believable, and scarce enough so that they couldn't simply be spammed over and over.
  35. Aug 19, 2011
    After all these years, Half-life is still just as timeless as ever. Sure, the graphics are dated, but if you can look past that then you're in for a treat. Just be warned, Half-Life 3's release date is still sometime after the rapture. So you might want to prepare for a wait.
  36. Dec 1, 2010
    If you are an idiot like one who plays black ops. Then you wont like this. If you are a brilliant and open minded person, prepare to be shocked away. This game is just perfect..... (Other than the occasional problem with the puzzle's and bug) NOTE : Made in the 90's SO EXPECT BAD GRAPHICS
    ITS DIRECT X 7!!!! ( not that it matters ) SO DONT GET MAD AT IT FOR I quote "Graphics suck, just look at black ops"
    IF YOU WANT GRAPHICS, DONT USE A CONSOLE, AND GET A NICE SETUP WITH FULL DX11 CAPABILLITY TO BLAST CRYSIS 1 AND CRYSIS 2 AWAY ON MAXIMUM!!!!
    That explains the idiots out there that judge games by graphical capabillity.
  37. Jan 6, 2011
    This game, back when I first played it, came to me as a surprise. The depth of the story coupled with length of the game was like reading a novel. Sure, at some points I died so many times it was ridiculous, but that's okay. I played for days before beating it and the ending left me with a smile. Gordon Freeman started nerds on the track of supremacy in combat. Anyways, the gameplay wasThis game, back when I first played it, came to me as a surprise. The depth of the story coupled with length of the game was like reading a novel. Sure, at some points I died so many times it was ridiculous, but that's okay. I played for days before beating it and the ending left me with a smile. Gordon Freeman started nerds on the track of supremacy in combat. Anyways, the gameplay was solid, there were parts that I had to do over because it glitched out on me or I missed something. But all in all, worth a play through while we hold our breath for Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Expand
  38. Jul 26, 2012
    This game will forever be among my personal favorites. Great story and amazing gameplay, the environments and maps are well designed and the sound is great. Had a lot of fun.
  39. Mar 26, 2011
    Great original game which can be bought on steam for a cheap $10! Has awesome graphics for its age, game-play and story and you can even meet some funny and scary people in this game. I recommend this game!
  40. Mar 23, 2012
    I'm kinda mixed up on this game, but I can say one thing: it's a very cured and detailed game. I liked the story, the enemy AI is fantastic and very challenging, and the setting and places are extremely well done: you can see how much time they put into this game. But still...I hated few things. For example, the jumping parts: you can easily lose health by jumping 1 cm more higher thanI'm kinda mixed up on this game, but I can say one thing: it's a very cured and detailed game. I liked the story, the enemy AI is fantastic and very challenging, and the setting and places are extremely well done: you can see how much time they put into this game. But still...I hated few things. For example, the jumping parts: you can easily lose health by jumping 1 cm more higher than normal (and we talk about 10 hp or more), and so you'll sometimes HAVE TO use ladders or avoid crazy jumps which, in many games, won't harm you. Even if the AI is challenging, some enemies are just far too hard in my opinion and sometimes the game becomes very unbalanced (the soldiers were the hardest m------ers I've ever beaten, while all the other aliens were easier, even the biggest ones). Add also that the explosions are very big, meaning that you can still get hit even if you're far at times (I got hit also when I was hiding behind crates, not too far away, while I shot at some bombs attached to the wall...this still scarred me). And, if I have to be brutal, some parts looked unneccesary and to me they looked like "add ups" instead of real continuation. But still, it's a good game and actually very modern to this day: good puzzles, very detailed settings, interesting story and a well though gameplay: can't say it fails somewhere can I? Expand
  41. Nov 13, 2011
    One word: perfect.
    The next games haven't got the same fantastic story and gameplay!
    Only one impressed me like Half-life and it is Portal (1-2)....i love this games....LOVE!
  42. Jul 5, 2011
    Wow I am bored, Anyhow this game was awesome back in the day, Since times have progressed you might find this game boring(I still enjoy it) but your going to want to know the whole story when the final installment comes out so skip a happy meal buy this(along with Half-Life 2, Ep.1 Ep.2) and get up to speed with the story of Dr. Freeman and his best friend the crowbar before the nextWow I am bored, Anyhow this game was awesome back in the day, Since times have progressed you might find this game boring(I still enjoy it) but your going to want to know the whole story when the final installment comes out so skip a happy meal buy this(along with Half-Life 2, Ep.1 Ep.2) and get up to speed with the story of Dr. Freeman and his best friend the crowbar before the next installment comes out which will probably make game of the year. Expand
  43. Aug 1, 2011
    This is far away the best shooter from history of games. Everything changes since its was made.

If you like shooters from todays, you got to know this game!

So, i dont need to explain about the great gameplay, grade awsome context, everything was nice.

GOrdon Freeman is the greatest hero of all times and, he dont need do say a word..
  44. Jul 31, 2011
    Such a great game! Half-Life is the game that launched Valve into superstardom and they have good reason! It's got action, suspense, horror, twists, and an ever-changing plot that will leave you speechless. What else can I say? It has all the elements that make a first-person shooter great! I can not recommend this game enough!
  45. Jul 30, 2011
    Surely PC games were made before this, but PC games didn't truly exist until this was made. This is the messiah of PC gaming. This is everything. I have barely even played this, but I can confirm this as true.
  46. Aug 23, 2011
    An excellent and classic game that belongs in the hands of all fps players and adventure lovers. Unfortunately you can not go by the negative reviews on here, because it seems that most of these people started playing games when Modern Warfare 2 came out. Coming from some one who played games since the 90's, you should not even ponder playing this game, its a classic and it will forever beAn excellent and classic game that belongs in the hands of all fps players and adventure lovers. Unfortunately you can not go by the negative reviews on here, because it seems that most of these people started playing games when Modern Warfare 2 came out. Coming from some one who played games since the 90's, you should not even ponder playing this game, its a classic and it will forever be one of your favorites Expand
  47. Aug 16, 2011
    the low critics from 2005 to 2011 are becouse you didnt play the game when this came out, and you are a noob. this game is still an EXCELLENT GAME, this game has everything...you will have fun always, and, for playing hl2, you must play this masterpiece!!
  48. Aug 21, 2011
    Half-Life is a great game developed by a genius corporation which was about 8 years ahead of it's time.
    Great storyline, the graphics with design are fun don't forget it had the best game-play you had ever seen.
    Once you got off of that monorail you were able to put yourself in situations you would never forget!
  49. Sep 1, 2011
    One of the first 'mature' games i ever played in my life and instantly became my favorite series. The creepy moments kept me at the edge of my seat and all the characters and actions always kept my attention. I really enjoyed this game. This game was also a high end game for the time that it came out in.
  50. Oct 5, 2011
    I seriously have nothing negative to say about it, it's JUST good. Fantastic combat, extremely creative, it's just so addicting and fun. I don't care who you are, get this game. - 100/100
  51. Oct 8, 2011
    My favorite game so far I have absolutly nothing negative to say about this game it is just WOW! once you play it you will be begging for more no doubt in my mind a 10/10
  52. Nov 30, 2011
    i just wanna say three words, BEST-GAME-EVER!!! i love the history, the npc, the graphics, weapons, enemies, sequels, extras..... i just love it, awesome work valve!!!
  53. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is a classic, not only has it basically started valves career into FPS making but it is a good start. Excellent storyline even though it looks a bit dated, but graphics don't make a game, 10 out of -2
  54. Dec 12, 2012
    Ah this game is so amazing... You could say that all games that came after this took so much inspiration of it. Really it's the best game ever made. I have finished it now 68 times and still I find so much new and cool. If someone hasn't played this I will make him/her to play, because no wonder it has the best single-player experience. PLAY IT NOW!
  55. Dec 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very good, Graphic is best, the old game of taking. Valve makes good games. It's probably one of the best games I've ever played despite it coming out so long ago. Sorry for my bad english. Expand
  56. Jan 4, 2012
    PC gamer? You need to play this. Take all the great things that Valve does, like great map design, mood, satire, dark humor, fun humor, emotional pull, good dialog, driving gameplay, award-worthy story telling, guns guns guns, and physics!, and then go back to the roots. Here you are, now go kill some aliens with your PhD, crowbar and shotgun, because you're GORDON FREEMAN.
  57. Jan 17, 2012
    This game is KING . I spent a good chunk of time playing half life, but most of the time was spent playing all of its mods. CS, DOD, Ricochet,Brainbread, HOSTILE INTENT(favourite, wish it wasn't dead) , the trenches, the specialists, natural selection, action half-life, syndicate, afraid of monsters, the trap, sven co-op, and more. Played so many mods , and many of those mods are more funThis game is KING . I spent a good chunk of time playing half life, but most of the time was spent playing all of its mods. CS, DOD, Ricochet,Brainbread, HOSTILE INTENT(favourite, wish it wasn't dead) , the trenches, the specialists, natural selection, action half-life, syndicate, afraid of monsters, the trap, sven co-op, and more. Played so many mods , and many of those mods are more fun than games out today. Expand
  58. Mar 11, 2012
    For 1998 this is a very good game with great graphics. (For the date.) What I can't stand is the voice acting, which kills me, but yet again it's a VERY old game and this is what old games were like. It deserves a such high score because Valve was a success with this series, and has always been a success. Remember, for the old date of this game, it's a good game. Everyone who is ratingFor 1998 this is a very good game with great graphics. (For the date.) What I can't stand is the voice acting, which kills me, but yet again it's a VERY old game and this is what old games were like. It deserves a such high score because Valve was a success with this series, and has always been a success. Remember, for the old date of this game, it's a good game. Everyone who is rating this down due to it's graphics or sound by a lot, is obviously not a old school gamer and use to good graphics.
    Great game.
  59. Jan 23, 2012
    Half Life is an amazing game that has very few flaws. The games mapping is very good and almost every level looks unique and different. Id give that a 9.5. The Graphics for the time were amazing, now days they aren't very special but i'd give them a 10 out of 10 like they were given back in 1998. The sound is really good for the most part, there are a few lines of dialogue from people thatHalf Life is an amazing game that has very few flaws. The games mapping is very good and almost every level looks unique and different. Id give that a 9.5. The Graphics for the time were amazing, now days they aren't very special but i'd give them a 10 out of 10 like they were given back in 1998. The sound is really good for the most part, there are a few lines of dialogue from people that sound to fake, but as for alien howls and guns going off there great. 9.5 out of 10. As for the game play its very good for the most part. The wide variety of enemies from small little headcrabs to soldiers working as a team are great, a few boss fights and platforming sections later in the game bring this score down to a 9.7 out of 10. The final part for my review is the story and what a story it has. While i wont go to deep into a detail about it, here is a small rundown aliens are attacking earth and you need to escape the base black mesa. The best part of this game is its told entirely from the players point of view and there is not a single cut scene in the whole game. Expand
  60. May 23, 2012
    Half-Life 2 being my favourite game of all time, making this a close contender. Half-Life was the first game I ever acquired on my first computer. I can keep coming back to it as it never gets old.
  61. Nov 4, 2014
    One of the best games ever made, and it started the best game franchise ever made.
    ...................................................................
  62. May 24, 2012
    I downloaded the demo when this first came out with no real expectations and it was one of a kind and insanely good! It looked and played excellent on my 133mhz 16meg ram and 2 meg graphics card computer... The best thing about Half Life was it's unique atmosphere which every element of the game contributed to.
  63. Aug 8, 2012
    Dont waste your time reading negative reviews, they are all written by illiterate morons with no taste in video games. Either that, or they never gave the game more than 10 minutes until likely getting bored because it wasn't Call of Duty Modern Black Assault Ops Warfare 5
  64. Jun 18, 2012
    For a game made in 1998; it's quite impressive. Story line is unique and keeps the player wanting more. Graphics are a bit more advanced than most game's in the 90's. Completely worth the time and money, especially if your'e a fan of the half-life series.
  65. Aug 4, 2012
    For the people who hate this game, or think is overrated, stop kidding yourselves. This game really deserves its place. for the people who wished for a speech log, give it some thought: Does your life have a speech log? In this game it is your choice to ignore or listen to people. Some weapons are common, but some of them are exotic, brand new, and fantastic. The story is told without evenFor the people who hate this game, or think is overrated, stop kidding yourselves. This game really deserves its place. for the people who wished for a speech log, give it some thought: Does your life have a speech log? In this game it is your choice to ignore or listen to people. Some weapons are common, but some of them are exotic, brand new, and fantastic. The story is told without even the need of cutscenes. If you didn't get the story... well, ehmargehrd.

Good points everywhere. Even the Xen zone gave me more than I expected from this game.

The bad point of this game is that it doesn't autosave. I played for 3 hours without saving... yes, right in the heart. You can choose chapters, but it's not the same. You need to press F6 (Quick save) almost every 2 min if you want to play it without trouble.

My two brothers hate the HL series just because the graphics aren't like MW3. If you are like them, and like games just because graphics, you're missing some of the best games of the world.

Games like HL only come once in a lifetime.
  66. Oct 12, 2012
    After many years its release, Half-Life is able to amuse gamers,only because is a product really well done;
    available on steam, it's crazy let it get away
  67. Dec 30, 2012
    Half Life is a "one of a kind" gaming experience, the kind that pushes the game industry forward. Thanks to his amazing storytelling, his challenging gameplay and human-like enemies' A.I., Half Life keeps you glued to the screen from the first to the last frame. A must play even after 14 years from his release.
  68. Nov 14, 2012
    One of the greatest games of all time, the amazing atmosphere still carries through to this day. Revolutionary game play at the time and still fun to this day.
  69. Jan 24, 2013
    I'll never forget half life. It played a large part in defining my science fiction existence. No FPS had been anything like it before. This was largely in part due to scripted sequences. Instead of cutscenes, things actually played out infront of your eyes while you were still playing. It set the standard that nearly all games followed since then. The levels were also ingenius. Each levelI'll never forget half life. It played a large part in defining my science fiction existence. No FPS had been anything like it before. This was largely in part due to scripted sequences. Instead of cutscenes, things actually played out infront of your eyes while you were still playing. It set the standard that nearly all games followed since then. The levels were also ingenius. Each level was its own separate level, but designed in a way to look like it was seamless. Level A would end in a hallway, a loading bar would pop up while it loaded level B, with the beginning of Level B looking just like that hallway. It gave a sense that you were never really removed from the game world.

The storytelling was great as well. Instead of just being overloaded with cheesey information, you start off simply as a regular scientist working in a secret underground research facility somewhere in the south US known as Black Mesa. While performing a landmark experiment despite safety concerns from officials, you accidentally open a portal to an alien world. This experiment causes a "resonance cascade effect" (whatver that means) which causes temporal rifts to open throughout the entire facility, warping in hostile alien forces. The entire game is a story about surviving against all odds. The plot thickens even further as US Special forces are sent in. When you first see them you think "Awesome, backup!" but soon find out they aren't there to rescue you: they're there to destroy you & all the evidence with it.

It thickens even further when you advance through the game, you hear the Special forces are pulling out because its too much for even them to handle and you get the hint they are about to nuke the entire facility into oblivion.

One of the reasons the storyline is so great is because its so plausible. The actions from the scientists to the Special forces makes sense. If Half Life actually happened, it would very likely play out something like the game. Nothing turns me off more than an implausible story.

From the scripted sequences of scientists screaming by on a falling elevator, survivors in vents scared out of their minds, half life delivers an incredible variety of experiences. Action, suspense, hopelessness, triumph, uncertainty. While playing, you really couldn't predict what would happen next which is always one of the signs of a good story.

A real 10/10, and it isn't awarded lightly either.
  70. Dec 25, 2012
    I am sure that this is best game ever made. Best feeling, best music, sounds, environment... Valve should make some similar game with GoldSrc engine...
  71. Jan 26, 2013
    One of the mile stones for PC Gaming production. Was one of the best innovative game for it's time - especially for game-play IF, graphic and innovative Map design_ In 1998, was really a big jump that has setted new standards in FPS/Game making at least for subsequent 5 years!
  72. Feb 23, 2013
    I am a huge half life fan, you may think that i am biased, but this game is best in whole wide world. Best graphics for its time and brilliant plot innovating game play. True oldschool shooter without iron sight, bleeding screen, auto restored hp and other casual things.
  73. Sep 11, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece that can be considered the best of all time. Nothing can even come close to the impact that this game made for the entire world. This single handily created the modern FPS genre. Sure Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were good, but Half Life made it a story, not a mindless shooting frenzy. If you are looking for that, then this game will be semi unpleasing for you. If youThis game is a masterpiece that can be considered the best of all time. Nothing can even come close to the impact that this game made for the entire world. This single handily created the modern FPS genre. Sure Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were good, but Half Life made it a story, not a mindless shooting frenzy. If you are looking for that, then this game will be semi unpleasing for you. If you are looking for a great game with a great story line and combat, then this game will satisfy your needs easily. Expand
  74. Dec 28, 2014
    This game released in 1998 and I'm still playing it instead of boring ordinary games with fancy graphics. Half Life gives you pure fps experience better than any game.
  75. Jan 28, 2015
    "When I first saw the trailer for this, I saw that it had good graphics. When I bought it only played it for like the first stage before realising how terrible the graphics are. I don't care how long ago this game was made, graphics matter more than anything in a game."
    I couldn't possibly disagree more with you!
  76. Feb 3, 2015
    This is among one of the best shooters ever made. It has a deep single-player story driven experience where you take the role of Gorden Freeman, crowbar wielding scientist turned alien hunter. This game is a classic and it spawned some of the best game mods ever seen, including Counter-Strike.
  77. Jul 24, 2016
    One of the best games in the world!No words just one of best shooter of the world! 10 out of 10 10 out of 10 10 out of 10 10 out of 10.This is end!!!!
  78. DavidW.
    Jun 4, 2003
    This game kicks ass.
  79. May 19, 2012
    Results: The Best FPS of 1998, The Best Story in games of 1998. With It's outstanding story, great single player and the terrific multiplayer, still It's not perfect. Still, It is great, and It shows some fancy classic graphics. It is a great FPS. It is difficult, but great.
  80. JamieT
    Mar 12, 2009
    Half-Life is a great game. A great storyline and great comabt makes this game feature on my list of top ten games of all time. Of course, number 1 is Deus Ex. The main reason Half-Life is below Deus Ex in my opinion is the fact that Deus Ex's storyline is so immersive and interactive. for those of you who have never played Deus ex, I recommend you do. That being said, Half-Life is Half-Life is a great game. A great storyline and great comabt makes this game feature on my list of top ten games of all time. Of course, number 1 is Deus Ex. The main reason Half-Life is below Deus Ex in my opinion is the fact that Deus Ex's storyline is so immersive and interactive. for those of you who have never played Deus ex, I recommend you do. That being said, Half-Life is still an excellent game. Valve did a great job creating an exciting and compelling game. I just dont get why it has a higher score than Deus Ex! Expand
  81. JoshC
    May 27, 2009
    This game is unbeatable. When you think of a 1998 video game, it my be bad in graphics, lacking a real storyline, etc etc. However, still I find myself booting up the game just to re-live the action of Gordon Freeman again and again. This is truly an "oldie but goodie".
  82. Jan 14, 2012
    Half-life is an amazing game. It defined storytelling in FPS games (and probably other genres too). It's FPS combat was masterful. The graphics, while outdated in this day and age, were excellent for it's time and are still excellent. It's a great combination of modern and futuristic warfare with militants and aliens. Well done Valve. Well done.
  83. Mar 3, 2012
    The best game ever, along with Zelda, Goldeneye, Deus ex, Metal gear, FF7 and (insert your favourite MMORPG here). Basically. Showing it's age but if you download the 'HD' version with nicer visuals, it's still worth a play. Lets hope the endless sequels of today wind down and quality original games become the norm again.
  84. Novi4ekNone
    Sep 9, 2006
    good game
  85. Aug 22, 2011
    Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best gameBest game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever. Expand
  86. NicholasB.
    Dec 4, 2002
    This is the best PC game ever created, the games graphics for the time are the best out there. The branching story line is incredible. This game though is also very difficult, you are only a bad ass player if you have played Half-Life PC.
  87. AidanP.
    Jun 9, 2006
    Awesome, the only game better? HL2
  88. JakubS.
    Jul 13, 2008
    This game Is Very good, clear story, GREAT MODS but graphics are outdated.
  89. May 6, 2012
    If you want to buy this game:
    What the **** are you waiting for? DO IT!
    The game is extremely fun and paced, it's mostly composed of action and understandable story. Great graphics (for the time it was released anyway).
  90. Dec 23, 2011
    Half-Life has become the most cool game in the world.
    This game love million peoples. Beautifull story line, gameplay.
    Must buy, or download!
  91. Oct 6, 2012
    Half-life is a timeless, genre re-defining classic that will forever serve as an influential template for first person shooters. It has served as a manifesto for countless FPS's in the last decade and a half and raised the storytelling medium to unprecedented heights.
  92. HaydenJ.
    Sep 17, 2003
    First of all- this game kicks ass. Graphics-good even by todays standards story-best fps story ever gameplay- fun as hell, not to mention counte-strike w00t now for all you n00bs saying the graphics suck-- turn the graphics to Open GL mode on 1600 by 1200 pixels, if your computer can even handle that, then talk to me whether u think the graphics are good or not.
  93. KevinK.
    Dec 5, 2002
    Well seems how there are not alot of reviews i will just say. Even tho this game isnt that new it is still the best PC game to ever be made. The mods make it even better. You can play the single player thru and then move easily on to the multiplayer with full enjoyment. BEST GAME EVER.
  94. Drunky
    Mar 25, 2006
    It's quite possibly the best FPS ever. Yes, the graphics are aging, yes the crate puzzles were a bit on the annoying side, but they are minor flaws on a beautiful game. The AI still amazes me now, as the soldiers hide, throw grenades and constantly cause a thread, and then there's the set pieces. I always get excited when I see the G-Man. The story is excellent, people who It's quite possibly the best FPS ever. Yes, the graphics are aging, yes the crate puzzles were a bit on the annoying side, but they are minor flaws on a beautiful game. The AI still amazes me now, as the soldiers hide, throw grenades and constantly cause a thread, and then there's the set pieces. I always get excited when I see the G-Man. The story is excellent, people who complain about it clearly can't be bothered to chase after it. Like so much about this terrific game, you have to work at it. You need to discover every clue, talk to every scientist, that's the way to play the game. And what a game it is... Expand
  95. MartinV.
    Oct 31, 2004
    "sure it set a new standard on its DATE"... What kinda of **** is that, the game is 7 years old? Of course there are "better" games now. That doesnt change the fact that it was the best for its time and continued to influence game development for many years to come. What if all FPS games released the last 7 years had been as boring as Doom3 for instance? Of course we all want nice smooth "sure it set a new standard on its DATE"... What kinda of **** is that, the game is 7 years old? Of course there are "better" games now. That doesnt change the fact that it was the best for its time and continued to influence game development for many years to come. What if all FPS games released the last 7 years had been as boring as Doom3 for instance? Of course we all want nice smooth gfx, but i want GAMEPLAY as well! Expand
  96. PeterB.
    Aug 7, 2007
    The single greatest FPS, and possibly the single greatest game ever made.
  97. AnonymousMC
    Jan 17, 2008
    HL is just the best game with best encheted engine with best platform for mods and HL borns the best gamers on world
    Adrenaline Gamers !
    it made relationships on whole world and it is a reason why gaming & games are so famous today but Valve today is a imperialism crap :P
  98. BradD.
    Jul 14, 2003
    5 years later this game still kicks the ass of any major contendor. Not just in my opinion, but in the eyes of many PROFESSIONAL video game critics this is the BEST GAME EVER WRITTEN! Buy this now! Its like 20 bucks. Plus you get to play counter strike and day of defeat for 10 dollars less than the retail box's are.
  99. Apr 1, 2012
    Half Life is a game of epic proportions, Valve provided a knock-out game. Good shooting mechanics, great map design, deep and involving story and of course hitting alien zombies with crowbars. Gameplay gets slightly repetitive at times though.

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. PC Gamer
    This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]