Half-Life PC

9.1

1. Dec 1, 2011
    One of the best games ever made - great story plot, one of the best introduction cut scenes to ever be in a game, well balanced weapons, variety of weapons is just right. The graphics might look dated 10+ years later, but eye candy does not make a game great.
  2. mikeg
    Jul 13, 2009
    THIS game has Extraordinary Graphics,Very Beautiful Gameplay,Movie like Sequences, and Awesome Sound! I hope people who play this game will last a life time in there hearts because this game still ROCKs all others ever made for the PC Valve i love your Work! please keep kickin ass on the best game series you have made in the Years and in the years to come!
  3. Sep 16, 2010
    Gaming perfection, resulting in the quality of gaming we know today. Map design was genius for the time, when most games lacked puzzle elements, weapon design and a.i. was also top notch. Everything from the safe feeling the start had until the ending on xen was a joy ride with constant new equipment and weapons.
  4. MarkB.
    May 22, 2003
    PC Gamer said it best. This is the best game EVER. When will it loose? And to whom? It will loose on September 30, to Valve Software, when Half-Life 2 is released. And you can quote me on that.
  5. LukeM.
    Jun 2, 2006
    Best Game Ever!!!!
  6. Oct 9, 2010
    Half Life, even today, remains a masterpiece of epic proportions. The graphics may be dated, but you'll be ignoring them the moment you get thrown into the combat, which is executed perfectly. You'll face a variety of enemies, from gun-toting U.S. Soldiers to aliens like headcrabs and vortigaunts. Luckily, you get a number of great weapons as you play on, like the powerful revolver or theHalf Life, even today, remains a masterpiece of epic proportions. The graphics may be dated, but you'll be ignoring them the moment you get thrown into the combat, which is executed perfectly. You'll face a variety of enemies, from gun-toting U.S. Soldiers to aliens like headcrabs and vortigaunts. Luckily, you get a number of great weapons as you play on, like the powerful revolver or the smg with an attached grenade launcher. The ambiance is also amazing; you'll hear growls of hidden enemies as you pass through dimly-lit areas. A simply amazing experience that must be played Expand
  7. PeterM.
    Jul 20, 2006
    Half Life is one of the best Shooter ever!
  8. AntonA.
    Jul 22, 2006
  9. FedorH.
    May 15, 2007
  10. MeNotYou
    Jul 13, 2009
    I can't see why anyone is slating this game for anything. It's probably one of the best games I've ever played despite it coming out so long ago. The graphics were amazing for it's time, and are great for anyone with a very bad computer. The multiplayer, while filled with bot players and very few actual ones, is quite enjoyable when you find a game with actual people. I can't see why anyone is slating this game for anything. It's probably one of the best games I've ever played despite it coming out so long ago. The graphics were amazing for it's time, and are great for anyone with a very bad computer. The multiplayer, while filled with bot players and very few actual ones, is quite enjoyable when you find a game with actual people. The levels were fun, getting progressively harder and more exciting. Puzzles were great. I love it, and I can't see how anyone would hate it and if they do they should sit down and eat shit waffles. Expand
  11. KinN.
    Jan 13, 2007
    Half-Life is a great game. It keeps you into the FPS mindset with lots of action and ties in realistic puzzles that keep you sharp and on your toes.
  12. Jan 5, 2012
    This is probably one of the best FPS experience I've had. The game has a great story and atmosphere and is very fun to play. Graphics were outstanding when it got released. They're not the greatest right now, but you can install an HD pack to improve them. The game is a must buy for those who want to know what FPS really means.
  13. FedorH.
    Jul 1, 2006
  14. MichaelB.
    Aug 7, 2006
    Awesome Game.
  15. DanK.
    May 30, 2007
    This is an amazingly awsome game. I beat it for my PS2, and again for the PC. I had endless hours of fun.
  16. FedorH.
    May 30, 2007
  17. LiamH.
    Jun 4, 2008
    The best game I've ever played. The graphics are a bit dated, but its still the best!!
  18. m4a1sterDavery
    Aug 25, 2006
    What can i say the best game ever made, a million times better than half-life 2 which just cant stand up to this stunning game, also the cs mod that came out a year or 2 after half-lifes realease, was the best multiplayer game ever.
  19. YuriS.
    Jun 14, 2007
    One of the best games ever. Great story, great gameplay. And always good, doesn't matter which version you're playing.
  20. TychoT.
    Jun 30, 2007
    You can tell a masterful game when people are still talking about it nearly 10 years after its release.
  21. MarkusT.
    Jul 6, 2007
    Old and simple.
  22. RobbyD.
    Jun 24, 2008
    Was a really good game i enjoyed it a lot.
  23. KaiS.
    Jul 23, 2008
    It is the best game I've ever played.
  24. EganA
    Oct 1, 2009
    One of the greatest games of all time. This game may have pretty average graphics for the time, but the enemies are great, the story was great, and some of the easter eggs and glitches are really funny. It was a delight to play and, most importantly, it was made my the smartest game company in the world, Valve. Even though in my opinion it is far worse than Half-life 2, it is still one of One of the greatest games of all time. This game may have pretty average graphics for the time, but the enemies are great, the story was great, and some of the easter eggs and glitches are really funny. It was a delight to play and, most importantly, it was made my the smartest game company in the world, Valve. Even though in my opinion it is far worse than Half-life 2, it is still one of my favorite games. Expand
  25. RossB.
    Jan 21, 2007
    The best FPS ever, Bar None. When I first got it I played for 16 hours straight. Still remains one of my favorite games to play!
  26. AndyC.
    Feb 10, 2007
    Great game I am still addicted to the multiplayer even after all these years.
  27. DylanB
    Aug 24, 2009
    I'm writing this on August 25, 2009. I am a huge fan of the Half Life series. I've played all the other Half Life games in the series and I recently added HL1 to my collection. This is, without a doubt, the best FPS computer game I have ever played. And this is 9 years after its released! I don't know much about the graphics, sound effects, AI, and voice acting in '98 I'm writing this on August 25, 2009. I am a huge fan of the Half Life series. I've played all the other Half Life games in the series and I recently added HL1 to my collection. This is, without a doubt, the best FPS computer game I have ever played. And this is 9 years after its released! I don't know much about the graphics, sound effects, AI, and voice acting in '98 but these probably top most of them back then. This game does get pretty tough if you don't plan ahead but none the less, its still a great game. Expand
  28. HongW.
    Jul 12, 2006
    I just love this game. It was the first ego-shooter i played (age 8) and it's absolutely awesome. Well, today the graphics isn't very well, but the gameplay is still a great experience!
  29. LarsH.
    Jul 23, 2006
    This game rules! spent hours playing, it's from 1998, but is still one of the best pc games to get! the strange thing is that i don't know what to do at gonarch's lair.
  30. Somebody
    Jan 11, 2007
    The greatest shooter ever, even with aged graphics and AI. I played it a while back, and I still do. Why does everyone compare to Half-Life 2 though? That's like comparing technology from WWII to modern-day tanks.
  31. TruongN.
    Jun 23, 2007
    This game is the best game ever, so does the multiplayer mode!!
  32. DaveSteavens
    Jul 29, 2008
    It was good, it has a great story which is pretty much the only reason I got the game but the game play was surprisingly good as well. Oh and Steve M. I think you're looking for Half-life 2 :P
  33. Oct 29, 2011
    I have played Half Life since the beginning. It is an excellent game that has good replay ability. When I was able to get the Half Life Source on Steam it improved the graphics and game play considerably. I highly recommend this shooter to anyone. It has a great storyline and will bring a lot of enjoyment.
  34. Sep 8, 2011
    I've played all the Half-Life games since the first and Each and every one is AMAZING! I just cant get enough of it! I Can't wait until Episode 3! I
  35. Dec 18, 2011
    This is the first person shooter of the century. It is the greatest. Graphics are amazing for the time period (1990s) and the gameplay is so innovative. Valve is a great company. They haven't released a disappointing game yet. It is the reason for the word 'perfect'. Definitely recommend to everyone.
  36. May 19, 2012
    Half-Life is to the FPS what Homo Habilis is to man: yes it's a has-been, but it was a necessary pivotal step to get to where we are now, and perfect during its time.
  37. May 24, 2012
    This is the best game i have ever played, yes kids "old" games are sometimes better than the actual games, if you think that a game it's great just for it's graphics there's something wrong with you.
    if it wasn't for games like Half-life, Doom and Wolfenstein 3d, games like call of duty or halo would have never existed, that's it we owe all FPS games to Half-life, Doom and Wolfenstein 3d.
  38. Jun 11, 2012
    This game is where it all began. No, it may not be as fancy and adventurous as some of the new games coming out, but if you want to sit down with a classic, here's the one. It's challenging, creative, full of options, pretty well balanced for it's age, and it gets you to think outside the -orange- box, haha.
  39. Jul 19, 2012
    The Half-life1 Series of games are storytelling masterpieces!
    Still the best fps games ive ever played,There Gameplay/puzzles/Atmosphere really set the mold for all modern fps.
  40. MikeM.
    Feb 2, 2008
    For its time, it simply couldn't be beat. Even by the graphically superior Unreal. Excellent story progression through "chapters" that never pulled you out of the story. And TFC...man, it was worth the price alone! Never found another online game I enjoyed to that extent. I was still playiing some great SP mods & TCs up until a year ago (2007!). One was, IMO,even better than the For its time, it simply couldn't be beat. Even by the graphically superior Unreal. Excellent story progression through "chapters" that never pulled you out of the story. And TFC...man, it was worth the price alone! Never found another online game I enjoyed to that extent. I was still playiing some great SP mods & TCs up until a year ago (2007!). One was, IMO,even better than the orginal. And those mods are all FREE. Never have or liekly will get that much mileage out of any game, period. And it's fun to mess with Worldcraft to see if you can make some interesting levels/encounters. This is perhaps even more fun than the game itself, if such is possible. HL2 was really cool, but HL1 was most definitely the best, most long-lasting fun I ever had. Expand
  41. EtienneM.
    Oct 30, 2006
    Good game easy control, good story and good design.
  42. JosefV.
    Oct 9, 2006
    Half-Life That's really one of the greatest (maybe not one, just greatest) games ever made. HL has become so great, that (after several years) tens of thousands ppl still playing this amazing game. GL & HF
  43. Kyle
    Apr 4, 2006
    Simply a classic. Nuff said.
  44. FedorH.
    May 6, 2006
  45. RemcoE.
    Sep 2, 2006
    Great, that is the word to discribe this game it is the best shooter till now it suck you up when you start and it keeps you hypnotised till the very end.
  46. AnastasiaO.
    Oct 7, 2007
    Very detailed and expansive environments even more so then the Sequel.
  47. Jan
    Feb 4, 2007
    Which First Person Shooter Game was better than Half Life arround 1998? ... right, and it took ages after 1998 for the next game taking the Genre leading place off Half-Life. Additionally this Game grew up Modifictions like Counterstrike. 10/10 from me.
  48. AnonymousMC
    Jul 1, 2005
    This game is one of the greatest frist person shooter ever!!! So what if the grafics were bad, for it's time the AI is extremly good. Also the game play really get you invloved in the story, and leave you asking questions even after the game is over. It desidened so perfectly, and i can't wait for the sequle, i with i could give this game a 15.
  49. JoeMamma
    May 29, 2006
    This game has the most versatility shown out of all other games on the market.
  50. Nivo
    Jun 19, 2006
    This game is excellent, but Source version is not good as I thought.
  51. RomanD.
    Jul 23, 2006
    Game is the greatest, and the allowance of mods....I'm glad I existed for this game.
  52. MichaelC.
    Aug 8, 2006
    So far, the only game that is good enough to a two other than Counter-Strike and it's debut, Half-Life 2. Valve has done enough to this game, and also Half-Life 2, it's precursor.
  53. SørenW.
    Sep 6, 2006
    This is simply an epic game. even now, years after its release, it keeps facinating me. this is a must have for all who like FPS games.
  54. FedorH.
    Sep 9, 2006
  55. TiberiuC.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Best. Game. Ever. Half Life has changed me in a way that is visible after all these years. A rare gem.
  56. DannyV.
    Jan 4, 2007
    A fantastic shooter that deserves no less than a score of 10.
  57. AnonymousMC
    Feb 2, 2007
    its a really hot game! the best FPS ... its a legend man! and who ever posted 1 ... i think he didnt know what r the FPS reevolutions ... this game its a re-evolution of the FPS its all! it got all! mods, good graphics(for the year), music, history, the second shoot, and the fisics... damn... its just too good
  58. AntonA.
    Feb 5, 2007
  59. CarlC.
    Mar 1, 2007
    The best game to date. Great bargain too. Each mod of this game is a game itself.
  60. JosephS.
    Mar 21, 2007
    It's one of the best games of the world. No other game is playing by so many users! Good luck in the future.
  61. GisleA.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Really good game, in 1998 this game was the best ever. Its great for modding, and it includes much fun, a month of playing (first attempt) the last boss is so hard.
  62. Daniel
    May 20, 2007
    Still, the best (ego)shooter ever.
  63. TK
    Jan 1, 2008
    There are two games in the world whose status and influence have endured over the years without fading one bit...I actually think they've just gotten bigger over time! These two games are of course Doom and Half-Life, and nothing can ever make such an immense impact on the gaming world as they did back in the day. An undisputed masterpiece.
  64. Weyland
    Jan 6, 2008
    I loved this game. And I have comments for those who rated horribly. Erick: I have something to say specifically to you. You said "same type of monsters all the way to the last level," What last level? It's one frigging level all the way through. Of course there's going to be all the same monsters! Mister shgiot ktiv: You said "Bad grafiks, bad criters, bad saund, bad stori, bad I loved this game. And I have comments for those who rated horribly. Erick: I have something to say specifically to you. You said "same type of monsters all the way to the last level," What last level? It's one frigging level all the way through. Of course there's going to be all the same monsters! Mister shgiot ktiv: You said "Bad grafiks, bad criters, bad saund, bad stori, bad controll, all the gaim is bad." What the hell are you even saying? Apparently you're such an idiot you don't know how to spell "game," so why should we care what you say? Rami W.: You said "is that how much you guys love this game all you do is kill people for money to complete objectives." How the hell is that a review for this game? Did you think you were playing Assasin's Creed? Because last time I checked, no money system in Half Life one or two. Expand
  65. FedorH.
    Oct 7, 2008
  66. LukeI.
    Apr 1, 2008
    Wow. This game was one of the many few that games I've played that still manages to beat modern-day video games. Excellent, easy to understand, basic storyline (aliens attack after a portal opens from thier alien world), great graphics (well, they were in 1997), great gameplay (I loved the gore), great physics, and I loved how you could go into thirdperson (though traditionally, this Wow. This game was one of the many few that games I've played that still manages to beat modern-day video games. Excellent, easy to understand, basic storyline (aliens attack after a portal opens from thier alien world), great graphics (well, they were in 1997), great gameplay (I loved the gore), great physics, and I loved how you could go into thirdperson (though traditionally, this game should be played in first-person view). Overall, this game was the best of the 1990's. Expand
  67. AnonymousMC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Also to people that had trouble PLAYING the game, get over it! I understand how annoying Half-Life can be, but you don't have to give it 0 just because you couldn't jump over electrified water and press a switch! This game was most likely designed to be hard because Gabe Newell and everyone else at Valve thought that people might be just smart enough to jump over a hole! This isAlso to people that had trouble PLAYING the game, get over it! I understand how annoying Half-Life can be, but you don't have to give it 0 just because you couldn't jump over electrified water and press a switch! This game was most likely designed to be hard because Gabe Newell and everyone else at Valve thought that people might be just smart enough to jump over a hole! This is why critics can be annoying; because sometimes they only look for the bad things! 'This game had lot's of bugs, and was found difficult by 56 percent of its players.'
    What about: 'This game was exciting from start to end; from escaping the Black Mesa complex to exploring alien worlds, this first-person shooter will be a hit!'. OK, some people might not agree, and might say something like 'It was repetitive'. OK, even I agree that it was repetitive. But I don't agree with people saying 'this game sux its to hard scientists are funny why can you kill them'. This is the best game of 1998 (other than MGS)
  68. DefjacO
    Apr 3, 2008
    What valve has managed to do is position logical puzzles in a logical environment, using only what should logically be in it, and adding nothing outrageous to aid their puzzles.
  69. RobertoA.
    May 2, 2008
    Perfect Game, Perfect Story.
  70. RobertS.
    May 7, 2008
    A good game, maybe the best in gaming history, I still play this today. And i bet many more does also.
  71. VladimirP.
    Jul 9, 2008
    After so many years, easily still the best first person shooter ever.
  72. PaulO.
    Jul 23, 2004
    Quite simply, a classic. The graphics weren't as good as some of the other Quake 2 based shooters, but this was more than made up for by a totally immersive storyline, smart level design, and controls that felt just right. Not to mention, when you get done with the main story, there are some excellent mods available, some of which are practically entirely new games.
  73. ScottP.
    Aug 3, 2004
    Truly one of the greatest games of all time on the PC. Have re-played it recently and found that it still retains much of the great addictive quality it originally had. Becoming dated now, and yes, its true, the jumps and doors did get slightly repetitive, but the game still kept me at the seat of my pants at all times just bursting to make the next jump.
  74. JackS.
    Apr 9, 2005
    Will always be my favorite all time game. ever. cant stop playing it.
  75. BenB.
    Oct 15, 2006
    One of the greatest FPSs to date. This is a great one because it has awesome gameplay, low cost, a still rife online community, and ability to play on most computers. If you haven't already checked this out, you are doing yourself a disservice.
  76. AlanM.
    Oct 4, 2006
    This is one of my all time favorite FPS's.
  77. Mike
    Mar 27, 2006
    Pc god of games.
  78. SimonD.
    Apr 15, 2006
    Absolutely fantasic game, that deserves every award it's has ever received. For the people that say they get stuck, I agree, it can be quite a challenging game, but like so many people have said, games like this take time to complete, you can't go through just shooting and running! It takes some lateral thinking! Graphically, it was on par for games of its time, although HL2 far Absolutely fantasic game, that deserves every award it's has ever received. For the people that say they get stuck, I agree, it can be quite a challenging game, but like so many people have said, games like this take time to complete, you can't go through just shooting and running! It takes some lateral thinking! Graphically, it was on par for games of its time, although HL2 far surpasses anything HL could ever have given us. Great stuff Valve, I will continue to play games that you create like this for ever! It truly makes game playing enjoyable. Expand
  79. BrunoF.
    May 22, 2006
    The best game I've ever played, including it's sequence, Half-Life 2.
  80. KaiS.
    May 27, 2006
    It is the best game I've ever played.
  81. DanielB.
    May 27, 2006
    This is the best game ever, its sooo realistic and the mod that have been made are great! well done , such a sucsess.
  82. ChrisR.
    May 6, 2006
    all i can sat is fantasic game loved every minute of it. this was the first fps game i played on the pc few yrs back 10/10 top marks thanks for a great game
  83. JonB.
    Jun 18, 2006
    Half-Life was THE game that really piqued my interest in game design and has since lead me to a career in the game industry.
  84. DerrickM.
    Jun 5, 2006
    Amazing, amazing game. Definitely one of the best of all time.
  85. EliasO.
    Jul 14, 2006
    I played this game over and over and over again when I was a child, and yeah, it was great fun! Those that give it a bad rating are just n00bs that can't finnish it and get stuck.
  86. TerenceC.
    Jul 22, 2006
    Best FPS game ever, HL2 was a bit of a disappointment compared to this, I've played many FPS games and apart from Quake 4 none of them were as good as this, great story and gameplay, perfect!!
  87. TimS.
    Jul 30, 2006
    The classic FPS! I have loved this game since it first came out and since then, about every month or so, I create a new game and beat it all over again! One of the best!
  88. CarstenS.
    Aug 14, 2006
    Not THE BEST, but on of the best games. Ever. Still today. But Opposinf Force was the best Half-Life - if we ignore things like physics or graphics, just gameplay.
  89. MichaelP.
    Aug 31, 2006
    Keep up the good work, This game rocks!
  90. DavidG.
    Sep 13, 2006
    The best game ever made, got this game shortly after getting my first PC in 1999 and started religiously playing TFC that summer. From there I went on to Counter-Strike which consumed me for 5 years! This is where it all started.
  91. AntonA.
    Sep 27, 2006
  92. CerdaM.
    Sep 30, 2006
    This is a game that held me for 6 years! Holy awesome!
  93. AntonA.
    Nov 30, 2007
  94. GeorgeJ.
    Oct 18, 2007
    The most cinimatic game i`ve ever played and easily my favorite FPS of all time.
  95. KoH.
    Feb 26, 2007
    Redefined the FPS genre and the gaming industry in every single way possible.
  96. SebiW.
    Apr 15, 2007
    It's a nice game! It was my first shootergamer.
  97. Pierre-MarieC.
    May 15, 2007
    Perfect !! A legend is born !
  98. DerekG.
    May 16, 2007
    The first installment of one of the best game series ever made. Although the graphics may be a bit dated by today's standards, the gameplay is still completely worthwhile; don't miss it!
  99. V-Man
    Jun 26, 2007
    The best game of it's time and still one of the best games out there, if a little low on graphics. All the gameplay is balanced and there's plenty of gameplay there. Overall a perfect game.
  100. AndyE.
    Jul 1, 2007
    This game will go down in history as one of the best first person shoots to ever have graced us with its presence back when everyone had the old CTR Moniters.
  101. Aug 22, 2011
    Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best gameBest game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever. Collapse

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. PC Gamer
    This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]