Half-Life PC

9.1

1. Oct 23, 2010
    This game is amazing still to this day on any platform you play it. I originally got it on the PS2 and I was blown away by it. It is even better on the PC! No other FPS game after Goldeneye had the same effect this game had on me. If you have never played this, you must give it a shot some time if you can. There are mods and tools to make the game look pretty again.
  2. Oct 30, 2014
    That's a good story for an FPS game. I did not expect a game from 99's, so catch me hard and keep me stuck to computer several hours. That's a good game. Good for Valve.
  3. Dec 17, 2012
    One of the best games ever made. There's not much I can say about this that hasn't been said already. If you haven't played it pick this and the sequel up; the expansions are optional but worth your time for the most part (Opposing Force and Episode 2 are fantastic).
  4. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Great storyline and awesome gameplay: fifteen years later, Half Life is still the game many "modern" FPSs would like to be. Maybe not the best game ever. but damn it's among the first five for sure.
  5. Jan 1, 2014
    An old classic. A good storyline (but not a patch on its even better sequel) but it's a classic "for its time". Best game of 1998, sure. But unlike some games it's not survived the test of time as well.
  6. Nov 22, 2015
    So after Duke Nukem 3D and Quake, and parallel to Unreal this thing comes out. Wow! Were we ever prepared for the impact? NO! :D Half Life blew my mind. U can do THAT in games? No waaaay man! It was a revolutionary period for games in general, but Half Life is around the top of the pyramid in my book :) so much fun with this one!
  7. Jun 23, 2016
    Half-Life is impressive even when played after 18 years of it's release. It is a masterpiece of epic storytelling, epic characters, great voice acting, great levels, great combat etc. It has everything. It is amazing.
  8. Apr 1, 2012
    Half Life is a game of epic proportions, Valve provided a knock-out game. Good shooting mechanics, great map design, deep and involving story and of course hitting alien zombies with crowbars. Gameplay gets slightly repetitive at times though.
  9. Dec 14, 2015
    At the time this game was released, it was revolutionary. Many scripted character which would talk to you, follow you, open doors and help fight enemies. That was unseen before. The levels themselves are well designed yet somewhat too linear, like in all shooter games. The graphics were excellent for the time. If you try playing it today, you may not really enjoy it, as the genre hasAt the time this game was released, it was revolutionary. Many scripted character which would talk to you, follow you, open doors and help fight enemies. That was unseen before. The levels themselves are well designed yet somewhat too linear, like in all shooter games. The graphics were excellent for the time. If you try playing it today, you may not really enjoy it, as the genre has advanced far ahead. Expand
  10. Mar 23, 2012
    I'm kinda mixed up on this game, but I can say one thing: it's a very cured and detailed game. I liked the story, the enemy AI is fantastic and very challenging, and the setting and places are extremely well done: you can see how much time they put into this game. But still...I hated few things. For example, the jumping parts: you can easily lose health by jumping 1 cm more higher thanI'm kinda mixed up on this game, but I can say one thing: it's a very cured and detailed game. I liked the story, the enemy AI is fantastic and very challenging, and the setting and places are extremely well done: you can see how much time they put into this game. But still...I hated few things. For example, the jumping parts: you can easily lose health by jumping 1 cm more higher than normal (and we talk about 10 hp or more), and so you'll sometimes HAVE TO use ladders or avoid crazy jumps which, in many games, won't harm you. Even if the AI is challenging, some enemies are just far too hard in my opinion and sometimes the game becomes very unbalanced (the soldiers were the hardest m------ers I've ever beaten, while all the other aliens were easier, even the biggest ones). Add also that the explosions are very big, meaning that you can still get hit even if you're far at times (I got hit also when I was hiding behind crates, not too far away, while I shot at some bombs attached to the wall...this still scarred me). And, if I have to be brutal, some parts looked unneccesary and to me they looked like "add ups" instead of real continuation. But still, it's a good game and actually very modern to this day: good puzzles, very detailed settings, interesting story and a well though gameplay: can't say it fails somewhere can I? Expand
  11. Nov 14, 2012
    One of the greatest games of all time, the amazing atmosphere still carries through to this day. Revolutionary game play at the time and still fun to this day.
  12. CRL
    Jul 24, 2011
    Even more than a decade after it's creation, Half-Life is still a great game. If you can get past the ancient graphics you will enjoy this game just as much (and probably more) than any other. The story is awesome. The enemies are great, (and at some parts downright creepy). The weapons are expansive for it's time, and And Gordon Freeman was voted the greatest video game hero of allEven more than a decade after it's creation, Half-Life is still a great game. If you can get past the ancient graphics you will enjoy this game just as much (and probably more) than any other. The story is awesome. The enemies are great, (and at some parts downright creepy). The weapons are expansive for it's time, and And Gordon Freeman was voted the greatest video game hero of all time. What more do you need? Expand
  13. Jan 17, 2012
    This game is KING . I spent a good chunk of time playing half life, but most of the time was spent playing all of its mods. CS, DOD, Ricochet,Brainbread, HOSTILE INTENT(favourite, wish it wasn't dead) , the trenches, the specialists, natural selection, action half-life, syndicate, afraid of monsters, the trap, sven co-op, and more. Played so many mods , and many of those mods are more funThis game is KING . I spent a good chunk of time playing half life, but most of the time was spent playing all of its mods. CS, DOD, Ricochet,Brainbread, HOSTILE INTENT(favourite, wish it wasn't dead) , the trenches, the specialists, natural selection, action half-life, syndicate, afraid of monsters, the trap, sven co-op, and more. Played so many mods , and many of those mods are more fun than games out today. Expand
  14. Jun 10, 2014
    Fue uno de los primeros videojuegos que en vez de bloquear las escenas para situar la historias las hacía parte del juego, además generó un standart dentro de los FPS que ha continuado hasta la fecha. No ha envejecido muy bien pero con Black Mesa ha mejorado.
  15. Dec 25, 2013
    It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire fps genre, but Half-Life has done just that. Immersive and engaging entertainment experience.
  16. Sep 4, 2013
    This is among the best games ever made the story is excellent so is the gameplay, level design everything is perfect except for a few things the dated graphics but back in 1998 is was amazing and the platforming is sometimes really fiddly and it is actually challenging even on Normal difficulty and for less experienced or casual players Easy presents a challenge (i think) but its neverThis is among the best games ever made the story is excellent so is the gameplay, level design everything is perfect except for a few things the dated graphics but back in 1998 is was amazing and the platforming is sometimes really fiddly and it is actually challenging even on Normal difficulty and for less experienced or casual players Easy presents a challenge (i think) but its never unfair it has some interesting setting and that feel of shooting in Half Life and then there is the multiplayer while this isn't the strong point of the game it's decent and paved the way for Counter-Strike and then theres the mods Counter Strike, Team Fortress started out as a Quake mod though), Day of Defeat and is better than Ocarina of Time Expand
  17. Jun 18, 2016
    An absolute amazing, breath taking adventure game ever made. Half-Life has amazing environments, awesome weapons, crazy enemies, and incredibly smart A.I. Each sequel just continues to build onto the mysterious story Half-Life has to offer. A must own and must play for all those Valve fans and adventure seekers out there! Half-Life is like Citizen Kane of video games!
  18. Apr 14, 2015
    best damn game valve gameplay good story fantastic characters charismatic your ass people who hate this fantastic game and some people do not know the afff franchise
  19. Jan 1, 2012
    The overall package with its brilliant singleplayer, multiplayer and modability were much more than any other game could deliver back in 98. Every aspect of this game was as good as it gets, only unreal managed to have slightly better graphics and music back then. While its basicly technically superior competitor unreal focussed more on mulitplayer games in future, half-life managed toThe overall package with its brilliant singleplayer, multiplayer and modability were much more than any other game could deliver back in 98. Every aspect of this game was as good as it gets, only unreal managed to have slightly better graphics and music back then. While its basicly technically superior competitor unreal focussed more on mulitplayer games in future, half-life managed to succesfully create a new singleplayer univere and keeps it alive till today. This was the start of a flawless series that still keeps million of people hooked. Expand
  20. May 19, 2012
    Results: The Best FPS of 1998, The Best Story in games of 1998. With It's outstanding story, great single player and the terrific multiplayer, still It's not perfect. Still, It is great, and It shows some fancy classic graphics. It is a great FPS. It is difficult, but great.
  21. Jul 15, 2015
    A game to remember. As you play this, you feel immersed in its gripping storyline. It blends the fast-paced action from DOOM with a chilling and monumental storyline, like from a Stephen King novel. Any and every gamer needs to own or at least play this masterpiece.
  22. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Gordon is definitely not a moron

Gordon is definitely not a moron

The Half-Life games are the thinking-person’s FPSs and the series is this reviewer’s favourite game franchise. The original game does look a bit dated by the standards of 2011 but bearing in mind that it was first released in 1998 it still looks pretty good, and in it’s day it was truly ground-breaking. It also used a physics engine that was the best of its time and an AI that performed far better than any other. Almost everything you could want is here: a good variety of environments, some satisfying puzzles, and some challenging combat. It also has, within the obvious limits of a shooter, a solid and engaging story. All of this makes for a game that keeps you entertained from start to finish and never outstays its welcome. Great stuff and it gets much much better with Half-Life
  23. Dec 23, 2015
    The most influential game of the FPS genre. And also the most overrated. Yeah this game is not as good as you may think. It's still pretty good but not worthy of a 10/10 score. So on with the review then.

Pros: - Something that you'll notice is that many of these old school games have tremendous atmosphere. And Half life is no exception. Everything from the laboratories, the outside

Pros:
    - Something that you'll notice is that many of these old school games have tremendous atmosphere. And Half life is no exception. Everything from the laboratories, the outside and the alien world all have amazing atmosphere to them.
    -The story. Everybody said how this game revolutionized storytelling in video games and they couldn't be more right. For once it wasn't about killing everybody in sight and finding a key to unlock a door. This time you had to do some puzzles in order to uncover the exit and not everything was that simple. But sadly for all the good things this game has, there are some little flaws that keep me from fully enjoying it.

Cons:
    - My biggest issue with Half life is that it just doesn't know what the **** it wants to be! For the first couple hours it plays a lot like a survival horror game with very little ammo being given to you and some very decent jumpscares. But in the second half the game takes a Quake road with soldiers, rocket launchers and gigantic helicopter battles. It's like we went from subtle horror to just balls out action in just a couple of hours. Now there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a little confusing
    - And finally my biggest issue is the flawed combat. Now don't get me wrong the game has decent combat, but it's not perfect. Being a game from the late 90's it suffers the same problem like games like SIn and Soldier of Fortune suffered in that the hit detection isn't good but it's tolerable. But tolerable isn't enough for a 10/10 score.

So there you go. This game in my opinion is very overrated but is it good.... yes. Does it deserve to be in the top 100 best games of all time.... yes just probably in the top 50 instead of the top 10 for me.
  24. Dec 21, 2011
    Played this game for the first time this year (2011), and I was positively surprised by it, altough I knew how much people like it. The graphics are dull today, but I imagine perhaps the best '98 had to offer. Despite that it is 13 years after release they still work fine, and gameplay is great aswell. The best thing about the game however is the way it tells the story, constantly throughPlayed this game for the first time this year (2011), and I was positively surprised by it, altough I knew how much people like it. The graphics are dull today, but I imagine perhaps the best '98 had to offer. Despite that it is 13 years after release they still work fine, and gameplay is great aswell. The best thing about the game however is the way it tells the story, constantly through the eyes of the players with no cut-scenes, and that said it is quite an interesting story aswell. Expand
  25. Apr 26, 2014
    this game revolutionized and shaped so much of modern gaming its hard to fathom it. it deserves nothing lower than a perfect score. its dated and a bit derpy now, of course (it came out in 98!) so if youre playing it for the first time now, take it in context of when it was released.
  26. Oct 12, 2012
    After many years its release, Half-Life is able to amuse gamers,only because is a product really well done;
    available on steam, it's crazy let it get away
  27. Dec 26, 2010
    This is so much more than a game, because you end up forgetting it's a game. It's old and it's the best.
  28. Mar 1, 2014
    One day I was bored and thought I should play this game. It was so phenomenal I'm a fan now!
    I think the best thing about it is the storytelling: You can experience the world of half-life without a cut scene and your character doesn't speak which means you can make your own thoughts. The atmosphere is also very well done and the multiplayer mode has a lot to offer.
    This game was also
    This game was also revolutionary for the FPS!
  29. Feb 5, 2016
    Valves Masterpiece. Instant classic.

And game that you can actually call an quality game. It offers long playtime. Developers who commit themselves making single player first person shooter experiences, then Half Life is an prime example how its done.
  30. Dec 9, 2014
    I wish I could give this game an 11. So, yeah, my favorite game of all time. This is gonna take a while... from where do I start? I guess I'll start from the bottom and work my way up to what I enjoy most in the game.

Graphics: They were pretty amazing at the time. Even the Source engine (the follow-up of the GoldSrc engine, a heavily modified Quake engine) is struggling to hold up

Graphics:
    They were pretty amazing at the time. Even the Source engine (the follow-up of the GoldSrc engine, a heavily modified Quake engine) is struggling to hold up today. But for 1998 standards... there weren't many truly 3D FPSs games. And Half Life had high quality textures, polygonal models... and the NPCs moved their mouths when they were talking. Even in Max Payne 2 (from 2003) some characters didn't move their mouths.

Of course, Half Life did not age well in the graphics department, but you gotta give it a break. If you compare it with other games at the time (Quake 2, for example), Half Life looks gorgeous.

Audio:
    The voice acting is nice for the time. It could have been better, though -there are only 3 voice actors in the game from what I recall, but the voices are memorable. The monsters, the guns and other sounds don't disappoint also.

The soundtrack has some memorable themes, but it is too scarce. There are some great action or exploration moments that could use some background track, but it will only play in a few (very few) moments.

Gameplay:
    The action was fast paced and easy for anyone to try it, but the game didn't babysit you. The AI of the enemies was really good, and, actually, I think it holds up even for today standards. The marines you fight aren't brain-dead like many of the enemies of modern shooters. They actually fall back and heal themselves. Sometimes they act really stupid, but most of the time they provide a challenge.

The game also had a great pacing, with fast gunplay moments, small fights and exploration parts. And they all feel connected so organically that it's something I still haven't seen in any other game.

But what really sets the game apart from me are two things: the storytelling and the level design.

Story:
    Actually, the story is pretty dumb. You're Gordon Freeman, a scientist that kicks alien ass. Hell yeah. But, seriously, there's nothing more to it. What is amazing is that the game doesn't take control of the camera at any time. Since you start up the campaign, you see everything by the protagonist's eye. And each room tells you a story. It's subtle, but every corner has something to add to the story if you look carefully and try to interpret what is being shown. It's nothing so much amazing, but it's awesome by the way that this is achieved.

Level design:
    I don't even know what to say. The level design contributes to the storytelling, bringing the universe of the Black Mesa Research Facility alive. But it doesn't sacrifice the gameplay. In fact, it makes the whole experience more enjoyable, because each level has its own motif going on, and each one is focused in one type of gameplay. Some levels are more action packed, others have more puzzles. But they don't feel disjointed at any time. Only the last levels are kind of a bore, but they're not necessarilly bad. They just don't hold up to the other levels.

So, yeah, I talked too much and I didn't even scrape the surface of what I wanted to talk. But you should at least take a look at the game. It deserves it, as the "uncle" of modern titles. And if you never played the original and think that it's too old, take a look at the free mod called Black Mesa, that is a remake of the original game. It's amazing too. So, yeah, Half Life... give it a try when you can, really.
  31. May 6, 2012
    If you want to buy this game:
    What the **** are you waiting for? DO IT!
    The game is extremely fun and paced, it's mostly composed of action and understandable story. Great graphics (for the time it was released anyway).
  32. Jul 5, 2011
    Wow I am bored, Anyhow this game was awesome back in the day, Since times have progressed you might find this game boring(I still enjoy it) but your going to want to know the whole story when the final installment comes out so skip a happy meal buy this(along with Half-Life 2, Ep.1 Ep.2) and get up to speed with the story of Dr. Freeman and his best friend the crowbar before the nextWow I am bored, Anyhow this game was awesome back in the day, Since times have progressed you might find this game boring(I still enjoy it) but your going to want to know the whole story when the final installment comes out so skip a happy meal buy this(along with Half-Life 2, Ep.1 Ep.2) and get up to speed with the story of Dr. Freeman and his best friend the crowbar before the next installment comes out which will probably make game of the year. Expand
  33. Nov 4, 2014
    One of the best games ever made, and it started the best game franchise ever made.
    ...................................................................
  34. Sep 20, 2014
    A true gaming classic that should be played by everyone. The story (like half life 2's) is great, the gameplay is always exciting and fun. This is a must own.
  35. Aug 7, 2013
    Had incredible fun when I finally got to place this game. First I played the PS2 version but this is FAR better. Intense story line, great controls and bosses that don't die from simply shooting them. This is a FPS where you use your brain.
  36. Mar 30, 2012
    This game is still a masterpiece and makes me proud to be a gamer. Despite being a handsome game for the late 90's Half-Life now looks very dated. However teh brilliant gameplay is still there. You can't call yourself a hardcore gamer unless you've played Half-Life.
  37. Dec 1, 2010
    If you are an idiot like one who plays black ops. Then you wont like this. If you are a brilliant and open minded person, prepare to be shocked away. This game is just perfect..... (Other than the occasional problem with the puzzle's and bug) NOTE : Made in the 90's SO EXPECT BAD GRAPHICS
    ITS DIRECT X 7!!!! ( not that it matters ) SO DONT GET MAD AT IT FOR I quote "Graphics suck, just look at black ops"
    IF YOU WANT GRAPHICS, DONT USE A CONSOLE, AND GET A NICE SETUP WITH FULL DX11 CAPABILLITY TO BLAST CRYSIS 1 AND CRYSIS 2 AWAY ON MAXIMUM!!!!
    That explains the idiots out there that judge games by graphical capabillity.
  38. Jan 5, 2012
    This is probably one of the best FPS experience I've had. The game has a great story and atmosphere and is very fun to play. Graphics were outstanding when it got released. They're not the greatest right now, but you can install an HD pack to improve them. The game is a must buy for those who want to know what FPS really means.
  39. Sep 3, 2011
    This is possibly one of the best PC games ever made(Tied with Deus Ex and its sequel, Half-Life 2). For its time, the graphics were stunning. The level design, despite it being a linear game, still encourages free movement. The guns are satisfying to shoot and combat has the perfect difficulty. It's an incredible cinematic experience lasting over 12 hours, and only once or twice are youThis is possibly one of the best PC games ever made(Tied with Deus Ex and its sequel, Half-Life 2). For its time, the graphics were stunning. The level design, despite it being a linear game, still encourages free movement. The guns are satisfying to shoot and combat has the perfect difficulty. It's an incredible cinematic experience lasting over 12 hours, and only once or twice are you forced too look at a certain area. If you like FPS games, there is no question. BUY IT. Expand
  40. Apr 22, 2014
    What Half-Life does well is tell a story through action
    HL has no cutscenes because cutscenes are the opposite of action, they are inaction because it takes control away from the player.
    One of the key features of a "Rail Shooter", go from point a to point b with few diversions & no backtracking. Rail Shooter as in like a train, you always keep moving. Valve knows that backtracking
    What Half-Life does well is tell a story through action

Rail Shooter as in like a train, you always keep moving.
    Valve knows that backtracking gets frustrating faster than anything else, and is the most artificial way to enhance difficulty (hell increasing the damage the player takes is a better way if only marginally).
    Valve is also fond of vent crawling and puzzles which I've never seen much appeal in apart from the initial novelty of vent crawling.

Apart from being very moddable and userfriendly,
    Half-Life also does something incredibly well that has helped modders improve their own skills, and thats level design. Each place in the game looks hand crafted. No copy and pasting of sections or randomization here! It also knows how to be challenging without throwing tons of enemies at you, and thats with good enemy placement as well as knowing when to give the player rewards (weapon/ammo/health placement).

Its a game designer's poster child, thats what it is.
  41. May 23, 2012
    Half-Life 2 being my favourite game of all time, making this a close contender. Half-Life was the first game I ever acquired on my first computer. I can keep coming back to it as it never gets old.
  42. Oct 9, 2010
    Half Life, even today, remains a masterpiece of epic proportions. The graphics may be dated, but you'll be ignoring them the moment you get thrown into the combat, which is executed perfectly. You'll face a variety of enemies, from gun-toting U.S. Soldiers to aliens like headcrabs and vortigaunts. Luckily, you get a number of great weapons as you play on, like the powerful revolver or theHalf Life, even today, remains a masterpiece of epic proportions. The graphics may be dated, but you'll be ignoring them the moment you get thrown into the combat, which is executed perfectly. You'll face a variety of enemies, from gun-toting U.S. Soldiers to aliens like headcrabs and vortigaunts. Luckily, you get a number of great weapons as you play on, like the powerful revolver or the smg with an attached grenade launcher. The ambiance is also amazing; you'll hear growls of hidden enemies as you pass through dimly-lit areas. A simply amazing experience that must be played Expand
  43. Oct 5, 2011
    I seriously have nothing negative to say about it, it's JUST good. Fantastic combat, extremely creative, it's just so addicting and fun. I don't care who you are, get this game. - 100/100
  44. Nov 19, 2013
    Half Life's claustrophobic nature and engaging story proves that first-person shooters can be something more than shooting endless range of enemies. Not only that, but the gameplay also revolutionizes gaming mechanics. Exploring various locations for supplies and platforming through sections is needful to go through various levels, making the experience more interesting. And, as youHalf Life's claustrophobic nature and engaging story proves that first-person shooters can be something more than shooting endless range of enemies. Not only that, but the gameplay also revolutionizes gaming mechanics. Exploring various locations for supplies and platforming through sections is needful to go through various levels, making the experience more interesting. And, as you except, shooting's remarkably fun. But, what aspect this game revolutionized the most, is successfully telling a story without scripted scenes. Half Life is a mark of brilliance. (Final Score: 9.64) Expand
  45. Apr 16, 2014
    The people that made this must have genius level IQs. Absolutely mind blowing. Whenever I go back to it, I realize how much every other FPS before and after sucks in comparison (yes, even the original "Deus Ex" and "Human Revolution" missed notes that this game constantly nails on the head).

Not only is it an amazing single-player title, we got some game-changing multiplayer mods out of it as well (Counter-Strike, TFC [which was a *much* improved version of the Quake TF], Natural Selection, Science & Industry) that were absolutely *free*. Guys setting up servers in their basement and players getting pings better than you can get in CoD or any other console multiplayer title. Those were the days. People who got into gaming after all this have no idea what they missed. Kind of like getting into "The Beatles" *after* the hippie movement. Still a great band, but the music doesn't have anywhere *near* the same impact it would've if you were there when it was happening.
  46. May 10, 2011
    FANTASTIC GAME. This is a landmark first-person shooter that combines effective story-telling, intense and exciting combat, lush environments and meaty weapons. This is one of the finest games ever created, with a cracking single-player campaign and breathless multiplayer, Half-Life has aged incredibly well and remains a joy to play more than ten years after its release. Half-Life castsFANTASTIC GAME. This is a landmark first-person shooter that combines effective story-telling, intense and exciting combat, lush environments and meaty weapons. This is one of the finest games ever created, with a cracking single-player campaign and breathless multiplayer, Half-Life has aged incredibly well and remains a joy to play more than ten years after its release. Half-Life casts you as Gordon Freeman, a scientist working at Black Mesa Research Facility. When an experiment goes wrong, creating a gateway to another planet, bringing in alien creatures, you have to fight your way through a horde of monsters and soldiers to the surface and eventually to the exotic planet Xen. From the moment you pick up that crowbar all the way to the final boss battle with the hypnotic Nihilanth, this is a stunning shooter that is constantly throwing surprises in your face. Expand
  47. Jan 4, 2012
    PC gamer? You need to play this. Take all the great things that Valve does, like great map design, mood, satire, dark humor, fun humor, emotional pull, good dialog, driving gameplay, award-worthy story telling, guns guns guns, and physics!, and then go back to the roots. Here you are, now go kill some aliens with your PhD, crowbar and shotgun, because you're GORDON FREEMAN.
  48. Jan 8, 2013
    One of the most influential games of all time, not only influencing the first-person genre, but also spawning so many great spin-offs and sequels such as Half-Life 2, Portal, L4D, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike etc.
  49. Dec 1, 2011
    One of the best games ever made - great story plot, one of the best introduction cut scenes to ever be in a game, well balanced weapons, variety of weapons is just right. The graphics might look dated 10+ years later, but eye candy does not make a game great.
  50. Jul 1, 2012
    Just hands down one of the best FPS games ever made. The story captured my interest from the first few minutes and I sat down for three days straight to finish the game. After you beat it, it doesn't have a whole lot of replay value, but man, I really liked this game. It was cool, it showed me how much fun playing on my PC could be. It helped me be more of a PC gamer and it always had meJust hands down one of the best FPS games ever made. The story captured my interest from the first few minutes and I sat down for three days straight to finish the game. After you beat it, it doesn't have a whole lot of replay value, but man, I really liked this game. It was cool, it showed me how much fun playing on my PC could be. It helped me be more of a PC gamer and it always had me hoping to catch up to that guy in the black suit! It has some "flaws" like the awkward NPCs...there are like 40 of the same scientist and the same security guards, but it just makes it kind of funny and isn't really something worth criticizing in my opinion. Great game. Expand
  51. Mar 26, 2013
    Dr. Freeman is a pretty cool game, he diagnosed me with ichthyophobia and doesn't afraid of anything. 8/10.
  52. May 25, 2013
    This game is fun and addictive. It is a Sci-Fi game, which I love, and its by Valve so it can't be bad. The Graphics are good, considering that the game was from 1998. But if you look beyond graphics its a pretty good game. The story is easy to follow. I'm not going to say what it is in case I ruin anything. People talk to you and it feels realistic, the voice acting is also very wellThis game is fun and addictive. It is a Sci-Fi game, which I love, and its by Valve so it can't be bad. The Graphics are good, considering that the game was from 1998. But if you look beyond graphics its a pretty good game. The story is easy to follow. I'm not going to say what it is in case I ruin anything. People talk to you and it feels realistic, the voice acting is also very well done. Weapons vary and are each great. Gameplay is amazing, and will keep you hooked from The Desert to The Moon. Characters, there are not many that have a background but the ones that do each have a different roll. Its an amazing game, and I say buy this game. Expand
  53. Feb 24, 2015
    Immersive story, spooky atmosphere and graphics that is beautiful even 17 years after the game was first released - these features make Half-Life one of greatest FPS games ever made.

It features very satisfying gameplay with lots of diverse weapons to choose and various aliens and humans to defeat.

Fantastic achievement by Valve!
  54. Aug 8, 2012
    Dont waste your time reading negative reviews, they are all written by illiterate morons with no taste in video games. Either that, or they never gave the game more than 10 minutes until likely getting bored because it wasn't Call of Duty Modern Black Assault Ops Warfare 5
  55. Mar 26, 2011
    Great original game which can be bought on steam for a cheap $10! Has awesome graphics for its age, game-play and story and you can even meet some funny and scary people in this game. I recommend this game!
  56. Dec 23, 2011
    Half-Life has become the most cool game in the world.
    This game love million peoples. Beautifull story line, gameplay.
    Must buy, or download!
  57. Oct 2, 2015
    This game has the best writing, best story, best characters, best gameplay, most fun I had since any game of all time! It deserves game of the year of 1998! The characters are very interesting and its fully original as **** Buy it full price now!!!!!!! FOR LORD GABEN SAKE!!!!
  58. Nov 30, 2011
    i just wanna say three words, BEST-GAME-EVER!!! i love the history, the npc, the graphics, weapons, enemies, sequels, extras..... i just love it, awesome work valve!!!
  59. Sep 26, 2013
    While the sequel to this game takes all of the plaudits for being one of the best games ever made, but for me Half Life is so much better. As someone who has recently beat the game you would think that the dated graphics would be an issue, but the answer is no.

If I'm honest however, I must admit that the story is fairly mediocre at best, and also you will find slightly repetitive 'room to room, wave after wave' situations throughout the game. But the fact is, the sheer genius and quality of Half Life dwarfs those issues. What is also a testament to the game is that I am simply not used to/experienced with classic/old games so the fact I can appreciate the game is surprising for me.

Of all the games I have played, Half Life has by far the best level design. You will experience that there isn't just one way of getting through a section of the game. Throughout the 15 hour campaign, I honestly felt none of the levels were repetitive which is something that should be praised as it was the first ever game made by Valve.

The enemies are varied and challenging, in fact, its one of the most difficult games I have ever played. I often watched walkthroughs to help me progess. Nevertheless, the enemies are outstanding, level design is incredible and the length of the game is very satisfying. I've also played Half Life 2 and for me, this game is a lot better.

9/10 Brilliant
  60. Jun 18, 2013
    I'm never sure if the people who give games like this 0's are mentally handicapped or trolling. I hope it's the latter. I played half-life 2 in 2006ish. I was 15 years old. I loved Half-life 2. I'm now 22 and I just decided to buy half-life because idk, for whatever reason I just decided I had never played the first one and it was time. It was released in 1998 and I beat this game in 2I'm never sure if the people who give games like this 0's are mentally handicapped or trolling. I hope it's the latter. I played half-life 2 in 2006ish. I was 15 years old. I loved Half-life 2. I'm now 22 and I just decided to buy half-life because idk, for whatever reason I just decided I had never played the first one and it was time. It was released in 1998 and I beat this game in 2 days because it was that good. I couldn't stop playing the campaign. After 15 years of it's release, accounting for generational differences in games, it's a top 5 best game of all time. Expand
  61. May 3, 2013
    Half-Life is one of the best games ever made.

The action is set in the fictional Black Mesa Research Facility, where the player takes the role of Doctor Gordon Freeman, a Ph. D, MIT Theoretical Physics scientist. So the beginning is nothing really special, but the action itself begins only after the disaster. After being late, Gordon steps in his HEV Suit MK IV, and enters the chamber
    Half-Life is one of the best games ever made.

After being late, Gordon steps in his HEV Suit MK IV, and enters the chamber where they test a special crystal from a borderworld called Xen.

During the preparations, the scientist make a mistake by settings the Anti-Mass Spectrometer at 105% causing malfunction, and after inserting the crystal in the spectrometer, everything goes wrong.
    The machine doesn't respond and in the same time numerous alien creatures enter Earth and the facility through outnumbered portals opened during the incident.

After this Gordon must fight his way outside the facility, which is a hard job after the facility goes infested with aliens, and even more, zombies.

After seeing the disaster, the Marines are called to ,,clean,, the mess, and destroy the facility. Until the end of the game, Gordon rapidly becomes the prime target for the marines, who now must eliminate him, considering that the mess is only his fault, and eventually temporary captures him.

During the game, Gordon must solve puzzles, and is also helped on his way by security guards and scientist pinned down in the facility.

Until the end, Gordon makes his way in a last refuge of the remaining science team, where he finds out that the rocket(that he previously launched) didn't make full effect, and the portals were still kept opened from the other side.

As I already gave some spoilers, I won't reveal the next parts.

The game play is just pure awesomeness.

Gordon uses many real weapons such as mp5, 9mm Glock Pistol, Spas-12 Shotguns and others, to fight his way out the facility.

The AI is really good, the enemies aren't blindly attacking the player and other suicidal things, and using their own tactics to stop the player.

The game features some scripted sequences, that makes the game feel more cinematic, but not a ridiculous amount, and just where needed.

Also the game itself is linear, so there aren't many places you can miss during the game, but there are some, and still, even so, the game feels fluent, and the story doesn't really seem to be forced.

But even so, the game has a great replay value, and has a real memorable journey.

The graphics aren't ground-breaking, but even nowadays looks kind of decent, but outdated compared to others.

The game also features an both integrated, and separate multiplayer(the separate one is called Half-Life: Deathmatch), with no kind of plot, separate from the story, just in the same universe and just for fun, by being able to nuke some maps, where you must get in time inside the protected place to not get killed, but the game can also contain and be played on coop maps, in which you must complete the map's objective, solve puzzles, but also kill enemies here and there to progress.

Also due to the very friendly engine, the game can be very easily modded, by adding new maps, re-create the original weapons, sounds and more, or even make separate mods from the original game, which led to the creation of one of the biggest modding communities, most notable mods being Sven Co-Op, Black Operations, Life's End, but many many others.

There game also inspired a re-creation, called Black Mesa, being a total Source recreation of the original game, with same levels, but better physics, and graphics.

So my final word for the game is that is a masterpiece, with very little flaws(this ones being only bugs and minor glitches), and deserves to be played numerous times.
  62. Jun 16, 2011
    This was simply a genre defining game, and an example for many game developers to follow on, amazing single player, amazing mod support, great shock/horror moments, introduction of interactive AI, etc.
  63. Oct 8, 2011
    My favorite game so far I have absolutly nothing negative to say about this game it is just WOW! once you play it you will be begging for more no doubt in my mind a 10/10
  64. Jul 3, 2013
    Half-Life is one of the best games ever made. Immersive and fun. Great story, cool weapons, and good voice acting. An experiment goes wrong causing aliens to wreak havoc on the Black Mesa Facility.
  65. May 28, 2016
    Easily one of the best games ever made. An instant classic. A masterpiece of sci-fi storytelling and FPS adventure. I played this game over a decade after it was released and I still enjoyed it more than many of the modern games I had been playing. So incredibly gripping, engaging, and exciting. Pick this up during Steam's summer sale and you'll have purchased one of the best deals in PC gaming.
  66. Jan 24, 2013
    I'll never forget half life. It played a large part in defining my science fiction existence. No FPS had been anything like it before. This was largely in part due to scripted sequences. Instead of cutscenes, things actually played out infront of your eyes while you were still playing. It set the standard that nearly all games followed since then. The levels were also ingenius. Each levelI'll never forget half life. It played a large part in defining my science fiction existence. No FPS had been anything like it before. This was largely in part due to scripted sequences. Instead of cutscenes, things actually played out infront of your eyes while you were still playing. It set the standard that nearly all games followed since then. The levels were also ingenius. Each level was its own separate level, but designed in a way to look like it was seamless. Level A would end in a hallway, a loading bar would pop up while it loaded level B, with the beginning of Level B looking just like that hallway. It gave a sense that you were never really removed from the game world.

The storytelling was great as well. Instead of just being overloaded with cheesey information, you start off simply as a regular scientist working in a secret underground research facility somewhere in the south US known as Black Mesa. While performing a landmark experiment despite safety concerns from officials, you accidentally open a portal to an alien world. This experiment causes a "resonance cascade effect" (whatver that means) which causes temporal rifts to open throughout the entire facility, warping in hostile alien forces. The entire game is a story about surviving against all odds. The plot thickens even further as US Special forces are sent in. When you first see them you think "Awesome, backup!" but soon find out they aren't there to rescue you: they're there to destroy you & all the evidence with it.

It thickens even further when you advance through the game, you hear the Special forces are pulling out because its too much for even them to handle and you get the hint they are about to nuke the entire facility into oblivion.

One of the reasons the storyline is so great is because its so plausible. The actions from the scientists to the Special forces makes sense. If Half Life actually happened, it would very likely play out something like the game. Nothing turns me off more than an implausible story.

From the scripted sequences of scientists screaming by on a falling elevator, survivors in vents scared out of their minds, half life delivers an incredible variety of experiences. Action, suspense, hopelessness, triumph, uncertainty. While playing, you really couldn't predict what would happen next which is always one of the signs of a good story.

A real 10/10, and it isn't awarded lightly either.
  67. Feb 3, 2015
    This is among one of the best shooters ever made. It has a deep single-player story driven experience where you take the role of Gorden Freeman, crowbar wielding scientist turned alien hunter. This game is a classic and it spawned some of the best game mods ever seen, including Counter-Strike.
  68. Nov 17, 2011
    Classic FPS. I didn't get into it as much at first until I played Half-Life 2, but after I came back to it, even after all these years, I found that the world was just unforgettably good. The atmosphere is incredible, and the combat system is fun. Certain parts of the game were definitely frustrating, but shouldn't stop you from enjoying the game if you have the drive to finish it. If youClassic FPS. I didn't get into it as much at first until I played Half-Life 2, but after I came back to it, even after all these years, I found that the world was just unforgettably good. The atmosphere is incredible, and the combat system is fun. Certain parts of the game were definitely frustrating, but shouldn't stop you from enjoying the game if you have the drive to finish it. If you like science-fiction and FPS games, this is definitely worth considering. The sequel is even better as well.

The graphics are obviously bad, considering the games age, but if you can look past that, this game is no doubt a gem. If you can't get over how bad the graphics are, you might try Half-Life 2 first instead. If you're a sci-fi FPS fan who likes thought-provoking video games, I wouldn't be surprised to hear after playing HL2 you'll want to come back and give this one another shot =). Give it a try. It's a classic for a lot of reasons. Plus, the soundtrack is superb.
  69. Mar 9, 2011
    An absolute masterpiece that still holds up today. I try to play through HL every few years and every time I do it's almost like a brand new experience.
  70. Jul 29, 2012
    This game produced one of the greatest Mod's of all time: CounterStrike. And only because of that it well deserved this epic score! But only because i never actually played through the game i can only give it a 9
  71. Aug 11, 2014
    I feel really proud for playing this masterpiece when it first came out. I still remember I had a debate with a friend of mine and PS1 owner back at the day. He was claiming that PC graphics cant surpass console graphics. So, I invited him to my home and showed him HL1. He was freaking shocked and speechless and at first thought that the intro with the train was a FMV, until I moved theI feel really proud for playing this masterpiece when it first came out. I still remember I had a debate with a friend of mine and PS1 owner back at the day. He was claiming that PC graphics cant surpass console graphics. So, I invited him to my home and showed him HL1. He was freaking shocked and speechless and at first thought that the intro with the train was a FMV, until I moved the mouse... One year later he bought a PC Expand
  72. Jul 31, 2011
    Such a great game! Half-Life is the game that launched Valve into superstardom and they have good reason! It's got action, suspense, horror, twists, and an ever-changing plot that will leave you speechless. What else can I say? It has all the elements that make a first-person shooter great! I can not recommend this game enough!
  73. Oct 29, 2011
    I have played Half Life since the beginning. It is an excellent game that has good replay ability. When I was able to get the Half Life Source on Steam it improved the graphics and game play considerably. I highly recommend this shooter to anyone. It has a great storyline and will bring a lot of enjoyment.
  74. Jul 1, 2013
    I thought Half-Life was a standard 90's shooter...but then I played Alien Vs Predator (Classic 2000) and I saw how HL was so ahead of its time, both in controls and graphics. The game plays very similar to today's first person shooters, the graphics still hold up (in my opinion) and the story is quite nice, even though the storytelling suffers a bit from the lack of cutscenes or other waysI thought Half-Life was a standard 90's shooter...but then I played Alien Vs Predator (Classic 2000) and I saw how HL was so ahead of its time, both in controls and graphics. The game plays very similar to today's first person shooters, the graphics still hold up (in my opinion) and the story is quite nice, even though the storytelling suffers a bit from the lack of cutscenes or other ways of telling the story. You will simply not understand the story if you're not paying attention. Nice soundtrack, nice pacing...Overall, its a great game! 8/10. Expand
  75. Aug 19, 2011
    After all these years, Half-life is still just as timeless as ever. Sure, the graphics are dated, but if you can look past that then you're in for a treat. Just be warned, Half-Life 3's release date is still sometime after the rapture. So you might want to prepare for a wait.
  76. Nov 6, 2013
    Not only one of the greatest shooters of all time one of the greatest games, period. Revolutionized a genre previously known for pure run n' gun and 'shooting gallery' style game play with its storytelling, puzzles, and AI. Spawned countless successful mods(e.g. Counter-Strike) and influenced other games for years after its release.
  77. Nov 24, 2013
    One of the games people grew up on in the late 1990s. Gordon Freeman is a memorable character however time has not done him well as he had no voice acting associated with him so all that remains is a blocky character render and a few paintings. Today it appears Valve are busy enough with Steam to give Half-Life series serious focus. HL1 was a stepping stone in storytelling first personOne of the games people grew up on in the late 1990s. Gordon Freeman is a memorable character however time has not done him well as he had no voice acting associated with him so all that remains is a blocky character render and a few paintings. Today it appears Valve are busy enough with Steam to give Half-Life series serious focus. HL1 was a stepping stone in storytelling first person shooters and varied environment interactivity (eg. physics puzzles). Expand
  78. May 20, 2012
    A lot of people base their reviews on nostalgia on older games. And while this still is a very nostalgic game it still lives up to this day in terms of gameplay. Half-Life was the first first person shooter that truly did not focus all its attention on the action; it also focused on the atmosphere, story, and puzzle like elements. It laid the footsteps for other first person shooters to follow.
  79. Mar 28, 2011
    I'll start by saying I played hl2 +ep1+2 before playing this game. I just bought the original recently and found that it's still better than most shooters to this day. The atmosphere, level creativity, and pace are glorious. glorious. I'm partial to games with a great story/atmosphere and the hl games are unrivaled. story isn't my favorite, hardly any dialogue, but the mystery surroundingI'll start by saying I played hl2 +ep1+2 before playing this game. I just bought the original recently and found that it's still better than most shooters to this day. The atmosphere, level creativity, and pace are glorious. glorious. I'm partial to games with a great story/atmosphere and the hl games are unrivaled. story isn't my favorite, hardly any dialogue, but the mystery surrounding the events occurring around freeman largely contribute to hl's interesting atmosphere. it's not that the plot is poor, it can just be contained on a single page. i really hope valve releases half-life 3 within the next 50 years. Expand
  80. Feb 27, 2013
    While it hasn't aged well (play the Black Mesa mod for superior graphics), Half Life still can stand on its own feet as an excellent FPS. It has great game play, good story, and a truly epic ending. The enemies and weapons are varied and imaginative. My only major complaint is the engine. Early in the game, there are a multitude of block puzzles, which are quite frustrating to play onWhile it hasn't aged well (play the Black Mesa mod for superior graphics), Half Life still can stand on its own feet as an excellent FPS. It has great game play, good story, and a truly epic ending. The enemies and weapons are varied and imaginative. My only major complaint is the engine. Early in the game, there are a multitude of block puzzles, which are quite frustrating to play on the gldsrc. engine, but this can be negated by using Half Life: Source, which is the same game on the source engine. This game is not without its flaws, but stands with the likes of Mario and Pac-Man as a timeless classic, and is worth playing on basis of historical value alone. Expand
  81. Aug 9, 2013
    It's got a great storyline, however there are some puzzles and long parts which are a bit boring or very hard. The game was ahead of it's time (and still was by 2002). Multiplayer isn't too exciting, with only Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. Must play, on Steam it is only 10 euros, which it still definitely is worth.
  82. Jan 1, 2015
    A solid 10.0 for me.It has one of the best storylines ever with the most badass protagonist ever Gordon Freeman. An experiment goes wrong, its to do with an alien world.which leaves you asking for answers,who?why?how?Its graphics still are acceptable today, gameplay is still as good as ever and it has a brilliant atmosphere and I have never had such a good gaming experience in my life.
  83. Mar 31, 2015
    Best plot ever! A revolution in game industry. One can play this game forever. It gave birth to Counter-Strike and both projects live till now and will live very long. Worth to be in collection.
  84. Dec 30, 2012
    Half Life is a "one of a kind" gaming experience, the kind that pushes the game industry forward. Thanks to his amazing storytelling, his challenging gameplay and human-like enemies' A.I., Half Life keeps you glued to the screen from the first to the last frame. A must play even after 14 years from his release.
  85. Dec 1, 2015
    One of those games I played due to the good old demo disc. This game blew my mind when I was younger and I still love it today. The atmosphere is great and the combat feels amazing. The only downside is that Half Life 3 still hasn't been made for the newer gaming audience to enjoy.
  86. Dec 12, 2012
    Ah this game is so amazing... You could say that all games that came after this took so much inspiration of it. Really it's the best game ever made. I have finished it now 68 times and still I find so much new and cool. If someone hasn't played this I will make him/her to play, because no wonder it has the best single-player experience. PLAY IT NOW!
  87. Feb 23, 2013
    I am a huge half life fan, you may think that i am biased, but this game is best in whole wide world. Best graphics for its time and brilliant plot innovating game play. True oldschool shooter without iron sight, bleeding screen, auto restored hp and other casual things.
  88. Mar 16, 2014
    Perfeito, nada a declarar.
    Toda a imersão, a historia que é contada de uma forma magnifica, você se sente na pele de gordon, ate porque ele não fala, isso ajuda, partes tensas, terror, ação, coisas loucas, magnifico ate o final.
  89. Jub
    Mar 2, 2015
    One of my select few 10/10 games. Gameplay, music, level design, and story are all great.

Admittedly I haven't played it in some years now but I'd wager that it's still playable even today, something that can't be said about most old games.
  90. Nov 13, 2011
    One word: perfect.
    The next games haven't got the same fantastic story and gameplay!
    Only one impressed me like Half-life and it is Portal (1-2)....i love this games....LOVE!
  91. Sep 16, 2013
    Gaming perfection, resulting in the quality of gaming we know today. Map design was genius for the time, when most games lacked puzzle elements, weapon design and a.i. was also top notch. Everything from the safe feeling the start had until the ending on xen was a joy ride with constant new equipment and weapons.
  92. Dec 27, 2013
    I never got to play any games from the Half Life series until this past year, then I bought my new gaming laptop and thought, "What better way to start with a game that has been deemed a classic?" and now I see why. Half Life is a game that is over 15 years old and has remarkably held up extremely well since '98. Play any current first person shooter and then play Half Life and you'llI never got to play any games from the Half Life series until this past year, then I bought my new gaming laptop and thought, "What better way to start with a game that has been deemed a classic?" and now I see why. Half Life is a game that is over 15 years old and has remarkably held up extremely well since '98. Play any current first person shooter and then play Half Life and you'll appreciate how innovative Half Life was for its time. Expand
  93. Apr 16, 2014
    One of the few gme sthat have set a standard for future games is the best FPS ever no doubt better than most games 2k14 too. Balanced weapons, even better than the other Half-Life games.....
  94. Dec 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Run, Think, Shoot, Live. This is still one of the greatest games i played. As the modding community for Half-Life is still very active, that made Half-Life whole. Story plot is awesome and all but, sometimes puzzles are too hard and can lead you to nowhere. But hey! That doesn't mean that the game is not cool! Expand
  95. Aug 20, 2010
    This game blew my mind. The storyline combines puzzles, action and exploring in a perfect harmony which makes Half-Life one of the history's most important game. Still today it gives me a lot of gameplay. The multiplayer is absolutely worth a shot, especially during LAN's since on-line is not so very crowded and the people playing are veterans.
  96. Aug 23, 2011
    An excellent and classic game that belongs in the hands of all fps players and adventure lovers. Unfortunately you can not go by the negative reviews on here, because it seems that most of these people started playing games when Modern Warfare 2 came out. Coming from some one who played games since the 90's, you should not even ponder playing this game, its a classic and it will forever beAn excellent and classic game that belongs in the hands of all fps players and adventure lovers. Unfortunately you can not go by the negative reviews on here, because it seems that most of these people started playing games when Modern Warfare 2 came out. Coming from some one who played games since the 90's, you should not even ponder playing this game, its a classic and it will forever be one of your favorites Expand
  97. Oct 18, 2013
    A masterpiece and in my opinion better than HL2. It has more weapons, enemies, challenges, difficulty and all in all fun. Gordon Freeman feels more 3-D rather than an empty shell even though he's still silent, characters to hate and love, enemies to destroy and it ranges from aliens to zombies to soldiers. Really, its enjoyable for everyone. The storyline is simple, and based in a labA masterpiece and in my opinion better than HL2. It has more weapons, enemies, challenges, difficulty and all in all fun. Gordon Freeman feels more 3-D rather than an empty shell even though he's still silent, characters to hate and love, enemies to destroy and it ranges from aliens to zombies to soldiers. Really, its enjoyable for everyone. The storyline is simple, and based in a lab rather than in a city like HL2. It also gives some backstory on HL2 in the ending. Weapons are wide-ranged and for the 90's the graphics are top notch. Go play it, you might not LOVE it but you'll still enjoy. Expand
  98. Jan 21, 2014
    This stands as one of my favorite games of all time. It is enthralling as well as challenging. There were a few parts that were really difficult to figure out the puzzle, but once you got it you felt instant gratification. It has a very unique way of telling a story, and if you're not careful you could miss it. Overall I will remember this game with a lot of fond memories.
  99. Oct 9, 2014
    I liked this one, but Half Life 2 blew my mind. The storytelling is quite good here, the maps are very well edited. The graphics looks dated today but overall it's quite OK. A very innovative and enjoyable FPS, one of the most obvious classics of the genre
  100. Jan 25, 2011
    Half Life is an amazing game. Valve didn't lie when they say that combines great storytelling with intense action. They put you in the skin of a mute main character, and the story is a masterpiece, which triggers a series of game with twists and confusion . And what a powerful engine, 12 years ago i was totally amazed, adn i'm still today, thinking it. It's the game that you must play inHalf Life is an amazing game. Valve didn't lie when they say that combines great storytelling with intense action. They put you in the skin of a mute main character, and the story is a masterpiece, which triggers a series of game with twists and confusion . And what a powerful engine, 12 years ago i was totally amazed, adn i'm still today, thinking it. It's the game that you must play in this generation. Collapse

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. PC Gamer
    This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]