5.5

1. Mar 22, 2012
    Now my review is going to be based on when this was released and not what it is compared to the games of "now".

Halo 2 was one of those games for me that I was addicted to; the totally immersing story, the enemies the vehicles and most certainly Master Chief. Granted the graphics were not a good on the Xbox version but on the the PC version they were improved immensely. I have very

Granted the graphics were not a good on the Xbox version but on the the PC version they were improved immensely. I have very fond memories of Halo 2, very fond memories indeed that probably set me onto my current gaming life.
  2. Jul 1, 2012
    For those who loved the original, Halo 2 was a disappointment. The single player plot was very disjointed and confusing, and at some point it didn't really matter what was going on, the point was just to frag more. But doesn't that make it just a souped-up Doom-like shooting gallery? Game play was fairly good, but still put to shame by its predecessors like the Unreal Tournament series.For those who loved the original, Halo 2 was a disappointment. The single player plot was very disjointed and confusing, and at some point it didn't really matter what was going on, the point was just to frag more. But doesn't that make it just a souped-up Doom-like shooting gallery? Game play was fairly good, but still put to shame by its predecessors like the Unreal Tournament series.

On the plus side, the colors and textures were improved and even more lush than the original. A couple new weapons, new aliens and truly beautiful level architecture helped redeem the game and keep the score in the "good" range. The cut scenes were interesting, but the disjointedness of the plot made those insufficient. Overall, well worth playing, but don't expect it to be particularly memorable.
  3. Sep 6, 2010
    This game is solid with a few minor setbacks. The game was fun with a pretty good story... well... besides the end but i don't want to give spoilers. But the thing that has made halo what it is the multiplayer. It is so much fun and i just can't get enough. Too bad the servers have shut down though so if you are reading this review now, i wouldn't get this game because all you will have isThis game is solid with a few minor setbacks. The game was fun with a pretty good story... well... besides the end but i don't want to give spoilers. But the thing that has made halo what it is the multiplayer. It is so much fun and i just can't get enough. Too bad the servers have shut down though so if you are reading this review now, i wouldn't get this game because all you will have is the single player which is alright but not worth it because the multiplayer does not exist anymore. Expand
  4. Oct 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I must confess to being very dissapointed with Halo when I finally got it on Xbox all those years ago. It was an xbox exclusive, a game that had originally been planned for PC release and was going to be a large open world game where as the masterchief you roamed the Halo hooking up with ragtag bands of marines and took the fight to covenant while trying to uncover the secrets of the halo, no 2 playthroughs would play the same if you made different decisions and they even hinted at allowing "drop in" co-op in the early interviews.

What we got was fairly much that story but on rails and towards the third quarter of the game it was quite repetitive. Sure it had all the beauty we knew to expect from the early videos but the single player was just... ok. Co-op was great fun 2 plyayer on xbox and if not for that I probably never would have completed the game on the console.

Then halo 2 arrived and it started off very cool, it let you play as the MasterChief to begin with fighting the covenant on earth in some very memorable battles. Then you got to play as the fallen Arbiter on the Covenant side which was also cool.

**SPOILER AHEAD**

Here the game took a turn for the worse, back in the master chiefs shoes you are transported to another halo like the first one... ugh. It was at this point in H2 on xbox that I stopped playing, recalling how horribly repetitive the areas in the later halo game had been. Being that I do not like the concept of paying my ISP and then paying for Xboxlive service I never took either game online.

Since then Halo 1 came to PC and was since upgraded to Halo CE or the Halo Custom Edition which is a lot of fun, the fact that the CE allows custom maps and mods (theres even a halo 2 weapon mod and the community is still active with new maps) has kept it alive far past where I though it would exist and the Vs gameplay with vehicles is actually a lot of fun.

Eventually Halo2 also appeared on PC but only for Vista users. I bought it a year or two back for about $10 in the clearance bin at JB Hifi alongside copies of Shadowrun (that other Vista only games for windows launch title) with the intent of seeing if the online community was any good for it. I installed it and sat down to play a little single player to tweak my settings and get a feel for the weapons.....

OMFG the mouse even at speed 10 (Max) felt like I was trying to turn in a tub of concrete, keyboard was permenantly mapped and you couldnt edit it (not a big deal I guess if you like WASD standard settings) and general game performance was pretty lousy. I stopped playing the game but didnt uninstall it.

Recently I was reading some gufff about the next Halo installment in passing & one of the user comments was that Halo 2 is hard to surpass as the best of the series which I found surprising, more surprising were other comments by quite a few people who agreed that Halo 2 was the best of the series thus far. Hmm I thought, maybe I should give it another chance ? ugh but the controls were horrible and the game performance terrible.... well sort of.

After a bunch of tweaking in nvidia control panel & maxing out all my halo 2 graphics options the mouse is actually quite responsive and the gameplay not choppy. Turns out the game tries to limit itself to 30fps capped, if your system exceeds this (especially if you have vsynch off and are pre-rendering frames) then the game starts dropping frames which makes it look choppy and interferes with your mouse control. long story short I am 90% happy with how it feels now.

So I played through the first Masterchief section & the Arbiter section, and arrive back on the fourth Halo where I abandoned the game on xbox. Oh dear how wrong I was, after a slightly slow start to this section there are some extremely exciting shootouts and vehicle gameplay to enjoy. The environments look a little dated (low res textures by todays standards) but the player/creature/vehicle models were always incredibly detailed in the halo games & got a lot of love to the point they still look exceptional IMHO.

My recommendation, if you havent tried Halo 2 on PC and you can find it someplace cheap grab it. The Story and single player gameplay are well worth it (sadly no co-op in PC version), multiplayer seems dead with Halo CE being the far more active title for multiplayer (no doubt due to the modding options). That said the Ingle Player portion of Halo 2 is really good and worth a look for FPS fans, though I am not sure how available it is in 2012, a recent stroll through some local games retailers showed me they are still stocking Halo (probably because people need the game keys for Halo CE) for PC but no sign of Halo 2.
  5. May 18, 2014
    Poor man's quake. I liked Halo 1 a lot because it was balanced and every gun felt unique. Halo 2 removed a lot of the uniqueness with more generic weapons. With no recoil and huge hitboxes the game basically plays itself and does not require any skill to aim. At least Halo 1 and Halo 3 had spread and projectiles forcing you to lead shots or aim with skill. This Halo also has the weakestPoor man's quake. I liked Halo 1 a lot because it was balanced and every gun felt unique. Halo 2 removed a lot of the uniqueness with more generic weapons. With no recoil and huge hitboxes the game basically plays itself and does not require any skill to aim. At least Halo 1 and Halo 3 had spread and projectiles forcing you to lead shots or aim with skill. This Halo also has the weakest storyline and campaign in the series. The music is the one great thing about this game, but a shiny turd is still a turd in the end. Expand
  6. ZxZ
    Jun 5, 2013
    halo basically is the original, same gameplay, same game modes and it does not feel like a new experience, this is a sign that better graphics do not make a good game
  7. Aug 12, 2010
    My favorite Halo game of all time. It introduced dual-wielding and showed the true power of the Xbox at the time. The story is second best to Halo CE. But in this Halo you go through the story of Master Chief and the Arbiter. Very good game, a must play for Halo fans. Sadly, Microsoft has recently cut off the Online to all Xbox Originals so no online on this one. But my only complaint isMy favorite Halo game of all time. It introduced dual-wielding and showed the true power of the Xbox at the time. The story is second best to Halo CE. But in this Halo you go through the story of Master Chief and the Arbiter. Very good game, a must play for Halo fans. Sadly, Microsoft has recently cut off the Online to all Xbox Originals so no online on this one. But my only complaint is the extremely hard difficulty that Legendary offers, very unfair, very punishing, and NOT recommended. Overall, good story and fun game-play, check it out ;D. Expand
  8. Aug 23, 2010
    How does this game get an average score of 5.0? I had it for the xbox and i could not find an xbox review. It had a great campaign and a great multiplayer. Yes it did have a bad ending but it had a great story with the elites getting involved. Multiplayer was extremely fun with tons of maps and game modes. Maybe not as good as the first game but i give it a 9.1
  9. Sep 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers. halo 2 for the president Collapse
  10. Sep 24, 2010
    I don't understand the negative comments of this game or ports of other games that come out later. On the Xbox, this game had 20 Games of the Year awards. This port comes with all the features of the the Xbox version, plus achivements, exclusive multiplayer maps, a customization mode like an advanced form of Forge, the use of the Xbox 360 controller to play it, and currenlty the only wayI don't understand the negative comments of this game or ports of other games that come out later. On the Xbox, this game had 20 Games of the Year awards. This port comes with all the features of the the Xbox version, plus achivements, exclusive multiplayer maps, a customization mode like an advanced form of Forge, the use of the Xbox 360 controller to play it, and currenlty the only way to play the Halo 2 multiplayer experience. Sure it doesn't meet current PC FPS standards, but it's not supposed to. It's for nostalgia sake and it's a little unfair to put one of the best selling games of all time to the standards it was not originally supposed to meet. The game is a classic game that deserves a little more respect. Expand
  11. Oct 17, 2010
    Halo 2 has now made it's way to the PC. It is Halo 2, just like it was on the Xbox (with a few improvements), and although this is not a bad thing, it would have been a much more successful release if they had upgraded the graphics significantly more, even though they aren't terrible, they could be better. Still, the intense multiplayer and singleplayer can be a blast, and although a lotHalo 2 has now made it's way to the PC. It is Halo 2, just like it was on the Xbox (with a few improvements), and although this is not a bad thing, it would have been a much more successful release if they had upgraded the graphics significantly more, even though they aren't terrible, they could be better. Still, the intense multiplayer and singleplayer can be a blast, and although a lot of people report bugs in the game, I have actually found more on the Xbox version. The game still has a decent sized multiplayer community, and you can always find a game to enjoy. Expand
  12. Jul 29, 2011
    although halo CE was way better, halo 2 is not half bad thanks to the new weapons, better maps for versing and better graphics. campaign wise, this one kinda sucked because after beating the campaign once or twice it gets very boring and repetitive. however if you are looking for the halo that is more fun to vrs in than halo2 will not disappoint. overall halo 2 was ok.
  13. Sep 4, 2011
    Sadly this one did not deliver... The campaign was uninspires, the graphics were dated (for the xbox version) and the gameplay was just not as fun. However, the multiplayern was amazing! this game would have received a 2 from me if it were not for the multiplayer! Luckily this time round there are acheivements but you will need an internet connection if you wish to gain them. The campaignSadly this one did not deliver... The campaign was uninspires, the graphics were dated (for the xbox version) and the gameplay was just not as fun. However, the multiplayern was amazing! this game would have received a 2 from me if it were not for the multiplayer! Luckily this time round there are acheivements but you will need an internet connection if you wish to gain them. The campaign is full of un-needed levels that feel as if they are only there for the sake of it, but playing as the other side is actually alright!

Campaign: 2/10
    Graphics: 7/10 (2/10 for the xbox version)
    Multiplayer: 9/10
  14. Jun 13, 2012
    Probably my favorite game in the series besides the first one. Played it for PC and Xbox, and the PC version is much smoother and better. The only thing it lacks is a multiplayer base since it's an older title. If you can run at 120fps, it looks great even though the textures and engine are older. Still overall a great game in the series. Just wish the multiplayer had actual people in it :/
  15. Jun 17, 2012
    Well, Halo 2 for PC is a fantastic game although with a few minor setbacks. I don't know why people say "It's the worst game ever!!" Its just like Halo 2 on Xbox, just a few things missing. Its odd how it only got a 5.2 score.
  16. Dec 12, 2012
    awful graphics, stupid story, disgusting sounds and more... after the first halo this game is shame(microsoft) my 1 point for the chief . really heart breaker...
  17. Aug 6, 2012
    This game is a mixed bag, for while it does some new and very good things, it also does some rather lamentable ones too. The story is about as good as the first game's, but because of the split narrative it becomes more confusing. The ability to control the Arbiter, who has a nifty cloak, is fun at first, but eventually it just becomes a drag to frequently switch between characters. IThis game is a mixed bag, for while it does some new and very good things, it also does some rather lamentable ones too. The story is about as good as the first game's, but because of the split narrative it becomes more confusing. The ability to control the Arbiter, who has a nifty cloak, is fun at first, but eventually it just becomes a drag to frequently switch between characters. I liked the levels where you are on earth fighting alongside the Marines against Covenant forces, but was fairly bored with those against Flood or Rebel forces. In the end, if you liked the other Halo games, this is probably worth playing, but it's more significant for what carried over into future games than for what it did itself. Expand
  18. Aug 11, 2013
    Released slightly late for the PC but its just as good as it was on the Xbox. An expanded weapons palette and new vehicle features are welcome improvements from Halo CE. The single player experience was fantastic but doesn't measure up to the original. Multiplayer is addicting and fun as usual.
  19. Nov 27, 2013
    KInda old for the series but still a good game except the graphics still not use to it i really hate the games for windows service is like rubbish it this can have the halo 1 severs its great
  20. Apr 16, 2014
    Great game! A must have. Halo 3 outdid Halo 2, but that was something expected as with each Halo from 1 to 3 Bungie set the bar higher. Get this game and be impressed. The story is great and the multiplayer is addicting.
  21. Sep 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers. halo 2 for the president Collapse

1. While the single player may end like a car crash, the multiplayer seems to live forever.
  2. The first Halo's roots shined through on the first port of the series, and once again the controls are tight and exemplary for use in PC or console style controls.
  3. Although the game received a significant facelift with high-resolution textures to provide a sharper look, the graphical progression of more recent shooters leaves this improved Halo 2 feeling like a 2004 game.