7.2

1. Nov 13, 2010
    This review is the second part of a fairly long but helpful review, go to the Halo: Combat Evoleved (Xbox 2001) page to see the first half.
    There are ten fairly long, open playable campaign (story-mode) levels in Halo: Combat Evolved and even more multiplayer (versus-mode) levels. You can play with one or two players in the campaign or up to sixteen players in multiplayer, which is great
    fun when youâ Expand
  2. Aug 29, 2010
    Halo is truly the most innovative shooter since goldeneye. It set a new standard for the future FPS's to come. It is not only fun to play, but the graphics are excellent. Although there is not multiplayer on the xbox version, if you get games on the PC you will have the best multiplayer fun in years.
  3. Aug 22, 2010
    Seeing that the average user review is 6.4 i must say there is something wrong with you! Halo is one of the greatest fps's ever on gamespot and ign's top ten fps's it was 2nd in both. the game is now 7 years old and some people are posting review complaining about graphics? It's a 7 year old game. Yes it did not have an online multiplayer for the 360 but it is by far my favorite fps with a great campaign and it was extremely fun to play with friends. I am now realising this is a p.c review. FUDGE IT! I'm posting it anyway Expand
  4. Aug 28, 2010
    I think that Halo: Combat Evolved defined FPS Gaming, this is the game that changed the way we played FPS Games. The online multiplayer is very addictive and it is a really good to play online with friends. I read some of these reviews that you noobs have wrote and I feel sorry for you because you are the ones that we pwn online. I think that it is a game that gamers will will keep players for many years to come. Expand
  5. Sep 24, 2010
    this game is great has great weapons great ai especially on legendary the music just heals the soul and it has that touch of perfection for a sci-fi shooter with the most amazing architectures i have seen in a shooter
  6. Sep 24, 2010
    It's Halo plus some new features like the Custom Edition, online multiplayer, new vehicles to use in multiplayer such as the Banshee and the Rocket-equipped Warthog, and new weapons such as the Fuel Rod Cannon and the Flamethrower. Plus, Bungie has a little something for the PC/Mac version: If you use the product key code on bungie.net, you get access to use the Halo nameplate for Halo: Reach!
  7. Jul 1, 2012
    Halo brought us a fascinating and unique plot, lush textures, and an unusually compelling soundtrack. In hindsight it doesn't seem so great, but when issued it was way ahead of its time.
  8. Sep 18, 2011
    A game most suitable for age 8 to 14. One of the alien bot model looked like a crab and moved like a toddler in diaper. Most of the models in the game are TOYS and TOYS, toys for 5 to 8 y.o. When you ran out of ammo of a specific gun, you need to held the same gun in hand before you can pick up the same dropped gun model by your feet. Max mouse sensitivity is too slow on some Compaq made mice. Texture resolution compared to UT2003 is weak, model detail is pathetic. AI skill is average. I can clocked the game with difficulty Heroic without using the rocket launcher or the pistol that has the zoom view. The Warthog armored vehicle are not meant to be driving in some locations but if you know how you can actually drive the Warthog into some building structure's broad corridors and later when backing you way out and leaving the place you can used the mounted gun at the back of the vehicle to take out those harder to kill beasts (not meant to be played that way). Not many games has the projectiles fired from the a small handheld gun that has the lock-on effects of a missile. If you know how (editing game scripts), a game like Tread Marks, all of the game's fired projectiles from all the weapons could have the lock-on effect of a missile, including the fired cannon shell from those tanks. There are a lots of games out there released around 2002 and 2003 that can be a very good replacement for this game Halo, other than paying over priced $ just for a little Halo and Microsoft, I'd rather spent the $ on multiple games like UT2003, Unreal 2 and Tread Marks, and many more. Microsoft (Microft) is wasting their time by making Halo 2 Vista and above only, they kicked the XP users out for some nuts! I tried to copy Halo 2 from one hard disk partition to another, it takes over 30 minutes to finish, and there are about 4 prompts (about between 6 minutes per pop up prompt) that asked me if I'd want to move the read-only file or not, then another prompt that asked me to move a network file or not, AND THEN it's the system file, AND THEN it's a WTF file ... blah blah blah! Why can't Microsoft just ask me from the very start of the file transaction that if I'm a 12y.o-window-user or not, and that I know what I'm doing so just transfer all the files once and for all! I need to wait by my PC for over 30 minutes because there will be pop up prompts now and then telling me that Microsoft hired people that only knows how to feed donkeys like Billidiot Noob Gate$, so it's must be some illness as why everyone should be playing Halo and Halo 2. The up thing about Halo was that it has some flying and land vehicles that you'll see in UT2004, but I don't even play UT2004's vehicles either! Expand
  9. Aug 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo on PC is the most overated and worst port for a time when FPS gaming was in its prime.

For starters its framerate is bad and choppy and people who say otherwise has got a win 7 gaming laptop or extremly good graphhics card from 2010, the graphics are quite bad, The level design is poor and worst of all the game is allmost unplayable on most older computers and the gameplay is so dodgy that It makes me want to tell developers to stop messing the hell around and make a game worth playing for more then an hour.

Worst FPS period
  10. Jan 13, 2012
    I liked it a lot. Campaign was just as fun and it added a few new weapons (such as the fuel rod) to the game. Multiplayer was a ton of fun but it suffers from extreme lag if anyone in your match has lag. Also it features quite a few bugs and glitches as well. Overall it was an enjoyable game that was well worth playing imo.
  11. Feb 10, 2012
    It's like Doom with better graphics, but not as good gameplay!
    The game is awesome in the first few levels but gets very hard at time!
    I strongly recommend!
  12. ZxZ
    Jun 5, 2013
    very good game with action everywhere, quite addictive although history can be boring so strong is the multiplayer going to be can spend hours and hours playing
  13. Sep 29, 2010
    Halo is a good game. The graphics were a bit dull when I played it when I wars about ten. The AI need to be better because they are so dumb sometimes. I have to hand it to them Halo had an awsome
    stroy line. Out of all Halo gets an 8 from me.
  14. Oct 17, 2010
    It's boring, repetitive, and it's generic. There isn't any thrill in this game, it's just get it, get out, kill things, and mission complete. Quite disappointing.
  15. Jun 15, 2011
    Halo is more famous on the xbox , than on PC, but the team did a great work on putting effort in this version. Is not the best PC game but is still superb.
  16. May 23, 2011
    It may seem strange, but the thing that really stood out about Halo: Combat Evolved to me was the music. It's really, really good. Seriously. Check it out. Other than that, the gameplay is solid and feels tight. You've probably played games like this a hundred times before, but only because Halo did it first. Not as good as some other first person shooters, not even from that time, but definitely worth a play, if only because its classic status. Expand
  17. Sep 4, 2011
    This is a fantastic game! Not only do you get an exciting single player campaign, but you get an awesome multiplayer expeirence! The campaign is engaging yet at times a little boring, but it is still fantastic! Your first play through is unforgettable. The multiplayer is even better and very fun to play! There are tonnes of maps with many game modes and even a game mode creator! And there are always people playing online. It does not have the best of graphics but this is because it was made early 2000's. Not many games back then did.

Graphics: 8/10 (for its time)
    campign: 9/10
    multiplayer: 10/10
  18. Dec 22, 2011
    I've played the single player multiple times and have enjoyed the game for the most part. It is a classic. It does have shortcomings though which make it a pass for anyone who has it on Xbox. The most fun I had with this game was LAN multiplayer with friends. Don't play public servers.
  19. Nov 17, 2013
    First Halo and still the best Halo, strong willed super soldier like Master Chief fighting against insurmountable odds against strange alien forces a classic and fun retro shooter.
  20. Aug 6, 2012
    Although Halo probably isn't as good as much of the hype it got, it's still a pretty good game. Most of the time it's a matter of going in guns blazing, rather than using stealth or strategy, but it's still pretty fun to go around blasting aliens and mutants. The game's storyline is good--though it could have used more developing--and the banter is fairly amusing. Many of the levels can get rather confusing as you try to navigate around endless corridors on spaceships and fortresses, but all is forgiven once you hop into a Warthog and drive around running over enemies or chase down a screaming grunt and pistol whip him! Expand
  21. Aug 13, 2013
    so confused how this game did not get better ratings compared to its xbox release. they are both the same freaking game- scratch that.... the only thing different about this game is the fact that because it is on the computer you could CUSTOMIZE AND MOD IT. which is freaking AMAZING. I know this is not related to the game but ever play Halo:custom edition? simply fantastic. if halo for the xbox got a 97 without the ability to create god like player/ fan based mods then this game should have scored the equivalent or higher than the xbox version Expand
  22. Nov 30, 2012
    I haven't played Halo on Xbox or in its early years but looking at it from 2012, it's still pretty good but has some glaring flaws. For some reason there's no minimap and destination points only appeared in a few missions for me which can make the levels very confusing and I did get lost more than a couple times. The level design is also pretty bland and repetitive, especially in the mission with 343 Guilty Spark. Having to go through 4 floors of the same looking environment sure got stale. Those are my two main flaws with the game but it has tons of positives as well. The guns are awesome and feel great to shoot and there's a good variety of them as well, my personal favourites are the pistol and the plasma pistol. I dunno why, I guess I just like pistols. The vehicles are also amazing and I was blown away by how smoothly they controlled for a game that came out in 2001, especially the banshee which I had a blast with. I found the story pretty good for a shooter as well but I wish they could have started to give Master Chief more of a personality in the first game.

The multiplayer is great fun and I was pleasantly surprised that it's actually still pretty active on the PC version, I always see servers that are full and thriving with players even after 11 years. I'm not a huge fan of the maps that take place in an interior because they can get very chaotic when the only available weapon is set to rocket launcher. I did love the outdoor maps and my favourite is Timberland for it's size and beauty.

Overall a great game and still worth playing even after over a decade, it's at it's best in multiplayer though since the singleplayer campaign is pretty dated.
  23. Nov 6, 2013
    The soundtrack is awesome and the graphics are really impressive for a 2003 game. The campaign is lengthy and the story is good, and most of the levels are pretty fun. Except for the library. Multiplayer, however, is super fun considering its age. Pistols and sniper rifles are too OP though.
  24. Nov 26, 2013
    I played this years ago. It was a fun game. I played multiplayer a lot. Mods were very cool, going up the mountains in some maps. My favorite maps were death island, the two snow maps, and some of the smaller maps. I liked oddball, ctf, bfm racing.
  25. Oct 21, 2013
    NOTE: This is a single-player review.

In terms of a port, it's actually quite good. The gameplay is engaging (especially with the improved control of the PC), the graphics are nice for an older game and it runs fairly well. It's also a very difficult game, seeming near impossible on the highest difficulty. Halo has a few flaws, though. The level design can be extremely repetitive,
    having you walk through copies of the same hallway more than once.

Despite the semi-average level design, it's definitely an enjoyable game. If you like first-person shooters, play this game.
  26. Apr 7, 2013
    By itself, halo combat evolved is nothing much. just an average game. But putting in Custom edition and playing all those different maps and mods makes the game so much better
  27. Apr 10, 2014
    Polished. Its solid like Quake but updated for the next generation. Couldnt ask for more

Halo:REACH updated the game engine. Play that for the next leap
  28. Sep 26, 2013
    One of my most favorite childhood games a fun and addicting shooter with a great story and it can run on most PC's and with mods and Custom edition you will not want to stop playing this game!
  29. Sep 13, 2013
    Accounting for 2001 it had a great campaign, amazing multiplayer with great maps (including the famous Blood Gultch). It was the pioneer for competitive shooters on console and has one of the greatest world designs ever. It's weaknesses lie in it's overuse of the same textures in the world and the crouching control mechanics (move the stick fully towards a direction and you move while standing, move it slightly and you move while crouching) Expand
  30. Apr 16, 2014
    This Halo game is the one that started it all. It brought us even greater Halo games, those being Halo 2, Halo 3, and to some extent Halo: Reach. The multiplayer on the PC is still up, so go get this game and experience the awesomeness of the first Halo game.

1. The Xbox is all about high resolution graphics. The PC version outdoes the original with better graphics with hardly any loading time. The models are fairly good but the enormous amount of activity that occurs on-screen makes the graphics that much better.
  2. Surprisingly taxing even on very fast PCs with tons of RAM and the latest video cards. Halo for the PC also loses the original version's much-vaunted cooperative play mode. But in spite of all that, and in spite of the very high standards for first-person shooters on the PC, Halo is still an incredible action game. It's a true classic.
  3. A decent storyline, lots of NPC interaction, and graphics that you have to see to believe. Anyway, if you are even remotely a fan of FPS games, this is an absolute must have, and one hell of a ride.