HAWKEN PC

7.8

1. Mar 24, 2014
    Mar 24, 2014.
    I keep losing connection to the host. The game looks fun but it's frustrating to be kicked out so often and the gameplay (for me) is a little jerky, it's definitely not smooth.
  2. Mar 12, 2014
    To rate this game below a 5 is perverse. I can only guess that those who've rated in a 0/10 do so for one of several reasons:
    1) they work for the competition
    2) they really *love* their run-and-gun Unreal-style chaos that rewards twitchy shooting without strategy 3) they seek opportunities to make themselves feel better through mean-spirited reviews * I started playing the game
    1) they work for the competition

* I started playing the game about a week ago because it's free. Free! I thought, "Why not give it a try? Nothing else grabs me right now and since I still play on Windows XP, I can't try XCOMM yet. I played L4D2 for a couple years, but there's only so much zombie apocalypse a man can take.

* Hawken provides the action of FPS in spades as other reviewers have said, yet it does so in ways that still encourage strategic play - not twitchy 12 year olds. Combat rewards maneuvering around the apocalyptic landscape, careful use of thrusters to leap into vantage points or dodge incoming fire, and playing the field to your strengths. If you play a light mech, you're better off darting in and out of cover, or even running up behind enemies. Heavy mechs rely on armor and heavy barrages.

* There's also a great collaborative mechanic to the game. It pays to work with your team. That's something that L4D2 players would enjoy. But I'd say it's more complex than the team tactics in L4D2. In Hawken, one often has to re-adjust on the fly, run away from a pair of mechs so that your team can back you, and rely on other smart players to innovatively flank or distract the other team. At the same time, I don't like to rely on such precision coordination in FPS games because it's hard to find really good players like that, and it cuts out spontaneity. So I've actually had a tremendous amount of fun leading by example, and seeing my teammates come together in the ways above.

* As far as graphics and beauty. It's just criminally wrong to call this game lackluster. I play it on low setting on Windows XP and it's stunning. I can play it for short periods of time on high settings (an hour) and it's even more stunning, but the difference is slight enough that I don't mind the low-settings.

* My connection has been great. And I've felt like I could jump into the game after its 15 minute tutorial. Again, I'm by no means a FPS pro, so it's quite accessible. Also, the starting mech has plenty to learn and experiment with, and with games you get free in-game money to spend on minor upgrades. They're minor enough that other players don't wipe the floor with you if they have them and you don't, but they lend a significant advantage, especially when coupled together intelligently. And again, in case, it's not clear, these upgrades are free of real dollars, but earned over time through playing.

* Which leads me to my final thoughts: How do they make money when the game is so good and it's good when I haven't put a cent into it? Real money is used primarily for cosmetic upgrades, fancy emblems, and other stylistic choices. One could also get the strategic upgrades early, but why? It's plenty fun just playing the game and receiving the occasional bonus by playing your games! I will say, I am beginning to get tempted to put some real money into the game just for some slight stylistic additions. I'm a sucker for customization, and the game gives it in spades. For those that want more options of their free-to-pay games, keep in mind the game is in Beta. I have no doubt that's the first, and easiest thing to add.

* I have one criticism. Only one. I don't like the hotkey for flipping your mech, and there appears to be no way to change that. (It's bound with the boost key, which can be changed, but the boost key doesn't bother me.)

* So... free-to-play, amazing graphics, fantastic strategy and action, customization, style, good mechanics and fresh gameplay, good team-play...but one hot-key needs fixing. You decide.
  3. Mar 17, 2014
    too sad dark maps, :( paying customers get little too much benefits over free players - effects balance negatively. also the old school server browsig thing helps cheaters too much, Looks cool for little while thos . - then i found MECHWARRIOR online tho . .
  4. Mar 10, 2014
    It's a really cool free to play that's easily kept me entertained for the last 2 days. I really like leveling up both my pilot and mech. Getting all the mechs and weapons for free is a really nice touch too. Just play to earn XP and you can get everything, eventually. You can pay to get stuff faster or for some of the really cool cosmetic stuff for you mechs. Right now I'm just tryingIt's a really cool free to play that's easily kept me entertained for the last 2 days. I really like leveling up both my pilot and mech. Getting all the mechs and weapons for free is a really nice touch too. Just play to earn XP and you can get everything, eventually. You can pay to get stuff faster or for some of the really cool cosmetic stuff for you mechs. Right now I'm just trying to get my FRED to Prestige level and now there's an update stopping the game servers! Can't wait to get back in... Expand
  5. May 15, 2014
    Hawken ist ein Super Spiel, sehr ausgewogen und die erste Einheit die man bekommt taugt auch mal was, nicht wie bei planetside und anderen Games wo man mit der Standard Ausrüstung an der langen Hand verhungert. Nachteilig sehe ich das noch etwas holprige Team Coop Match, da man genau 6 Leute haben muss um überhaupt starten zu können, des weiteren ist es als Gruppe nur zu 3 möglich an einemHawken ist ein Super Spiel, sehr ausgewogen und die erste Einheit die man bekommt taugt auch mal was, nicht wie bei planetside und anderen Games wo man mit der Standard Ausrüstung an der langen Hand verhungert. Nachteilig sehe ich das noch etwas holprige Team Coop Match, da man genau 6 Leute haben muss um überhaupt starten zu können, des weiteren ist es als Gruppe nur zu 3 möglich an einem Mulitplayer Gefecht teil zu nehmen was auch etwas ärgerlich ist, da ich gerne mit meinem ganzen Team spiele. Die Option "echt" Geld auszugeben finde ich nicht weiter ärgerlich, wer ein paar Euros zu viel hat unterstützt so die Entwicklung und bekommt nebenher auch noch ein paar schöne Extras. Wenn das Problem mit dem Team spielen und eine bessere Verknüpfung mit Steam weiter geführt wird sehe ich in diesem Game einen neuen erfolgreichen Newcomer der Extraklasse. Wer hektische Gefechte nicht mag sollte das Game lieber meiden denn bei Hawken ist von der ersten bis zur letzten Sekunde eines Gefechts ACTION ACTION ACTION angesagt.
    MFG Nimrod42
  6. Feb 20, 2014
    I paid the $29 for the Steam version of this game, to get me up to par with older players of the game. It was a wise investment. The graphics in this game are for sure a 10, I'm currently running it on ultra settings. Action is fast paced, but people might lose interest quickly on how soon you die. It gets better, trust me. Once you start unlocking the mods for your mech things becomeI paid the $29 for the Steam version of this game, to get me up to par with older players of the game. It was a wise investment. The graphics in this game are for sure a 10, I'm currently running it on ultra settings. Action is fast paced, but people might lose interest quickly on how soon you die. It gets better, trust me. Once you start unlocking the mods for your mech things become better, This is a free to play game and from what I see, you can do a lot without paying for a single thing and still enjoy the game. I've been trying to reach out to the developers and find out what they have in the future coming, I have had no replies yet. Currently there are only 3 or 4 maps to play and you can't customize weapons yet. Each mech has it's own abilities and you are pretty much stuck with those. Downfall in my mind. All in all, the game is great to play for a few hours at a crack, you will get sick of the maps sooner or latter since there are so few of them. I give the game a 7 overall. The developers need to "butter" up the players with new things coming and where they are taking the game. Expand
  7. Mar 5, 2014
    I admit, I had trouble deciding what kind of rating I was going to give Hawken. There's quite a bit to be said about this game, both good and bad. As I'm writing this, I find myself thinking "Well, (insert feature here) is pretty great, but (insert issue here) is still a big problem" and vice versa. I'll admit, I'm cutting the game a little slack because it's still in beta, even if it'sI admit, I had trouble deciding what kind of rating I was going to give Hawken. There's quite a bit to be said about this game, both good and bad. As I'm writing this, I find myself thinking "Well, (insert feature here) is pretty great, but (insert issue here) is still a big problem" and vice versa. I'll admit, I'm cutting the game a little slack because it's still in beta, even if it's official release date is only a short time away.

I'll start with the things I really like about Hawken. They've taken the standard slow, clunky mechs we've grown used to and thrown them out the window. Some people have called it "Call of Duty: Mechs", but I honestly think that's a good thing. I think that a simpler, faster game style will appeal to a broader audience. It's not nearly as overwhelming as some of the other mech simulators out there, and the learning curve isn't as steep. It's a game that your average casual gamer could pick up and be at least semi-competitive at in an hour or two, whereas some of it's competition interests only the most dedicated mech simulator fan due to complicated mechanics and confusing customization options. There are plenty of mechs to choose from (after you unlock them, which I'll address later) for any play style. The maps are large enough to accommodate "snipers" but small enough that short-range mechs aren't at a disadvantage. It's pretty nice visually, with very distinct differences in map design. I also really enjoy the free-to-play model they've gone with. This is by no means a pay-to-win game. The majority of what you can buy with real money is purely cosmetic. Though you can buy "early access" to the weapons for each mech, they're not so much more powerful that you're at a disadvantage without them. Pay-to-win kills free-to-play games, and they've avoided that by a large margin.

However, that's not to say that it doesn't have some pretty glaring issues. First and foremost, there's a noticeable lack of non-aesthetic customization options. Each mech has only three different primary weapons, and your secondary weapon is permanent. You can get some items and "internal components" to help adjust your mech to your preferences, but there's no feeling of really being able to own it. I fear that this will cause people to lose interest in the long run. Another issue I've noticed is that there are very few maps, but I would imagine that they'll release more maps as the game continues to develop. I've noticed quite a few random lag spikes too, even when I've got the lowest ping on my team. The matchmaking needs work, as you'll sometimes get paired with people at vastly higher levels than you. The hit detection is a little strange, and there's not much of a feeling of impact when you land hits or when someone lands hits on you. Even when you do a good deal of damage, it just doesn't feel like it. I would also like to see more optimization. My PC should easily be able to handle this game on Ultra at 1920x1080, but I had to lower the resolution a bit.

All in all, I gave this game an 8 because not only is it still in beta, but it has a lot going for it. Hawken has a whole lot of potential and could be a really excellent game. There's room for a lot of strategy to come into play if you have a few friends to play with. The game play is probably the most interesting and entertaining I've seen in a modern mech game, though hardcore fans of the classic "slow, clunky giant" mech games may not enjoy it. However, the game still feels thin, and I worry that a lot of people may get bored with it after a month or so of play in it's current state. If the devs work on fleshing things out with more weapons, better customization, more maps, and less simplistic game modes, Hawken stands to make a big name for itself. If not, I fear that almost no-one will still be playing it a year from now.
  8. Mar 21, 2014
    First of all, yes its a free to play.

Second of all, it is not pay to win as most of the negative reviews claim. Now with that being said, I enjoy this game very much and is a great free-to-play(If you have the patience for the beta stage of a video game). The balance between the different classes of mechs is good, the maps are of great quality, and i like the current game modes(They
    First of all, yes its a free to play.

Second of all, it is not pay to win as most of the negative reviews claim.

Now with that being said, I enjoy this game very much and is a great free-to-play(If you have the patience for the beta stage of a video game). The balance between the different classes of mechs is good, the maps are of great quality, and i like the current game modes(They plan to add more at some point). New recruits to the game get one mech(The Recruit) and its fairly good(I've seen it used in every skill level of players). All weapons, mechs, items, and internals can be unlocked through playing the game and you never have to pay a dime for anything that effects game-play(cosmetics are not free). The players whining about pay-to-win obviously didn't put enough time in to see that paying for a mech does not mean you will do well. The biggest problem with this game is this.....its still technically in beta and means that this is not a finished product to truly pass judgement upon currently. Here's my pros and cons.

Pros: Fun, Free-to-play, Great Graphics, Great maps, 16 mechs to choose from(all with different play-styles and abilities), Not pay-to-win, still in beta(which means more content on the way), great to play with friends, Fun maps, Good game modes. Fast-paced(without instantly dying all the time).

Cons: Matchmaking still needs more work, Can get frustrating(Due to the competitive nature of the game), To play with friends you need to be on the same or of similar mmr(skill) levels. Still in beta(which also means that there are a few problems that exist in the game.)

Overall I enjoy this game, I recommend this game to everyone who want to play a competitive Mech shooter. Remember though **************WARNING************STILL IN BETA********THIS IS NOT A FINISHED PRODUCT YET***********************

(On a side note)
    I've been playing free-to-play games for awhile and noticed that there are people who play for free, and then whine or complain about someone who puts money into a game. These developers have put countless hours into their games, and don't live for free. They deserve some money and they don't demand any money from you to play/try their game. So show some respect to the people who pay-to-play, pay-for-hats, or pay-for-early-unlocks, because no one wants to work-for-free, nor deserves to work-for-free.
  9. May 6, 2014
    Mechs in Hawken operate somewhere between those found in Mechwarrior and those found in Armored Core. It is brilliant, really. You get the feel that these machines are large and hulking, yet they have a certain degree of finesse that makes combat feel like a dance. Frequent updates by the developers show they really care about Hawken, and want it to succeed. Nitpicks to the game areMechs in Hawken operate somewhere between those found in Mechwarrior and those found in Armored Core. It is brilliant, really. You get the feel that these machines are large and hulking, yet they have a certain degree of finesse that makes combat feel like a dance. Frequent updates by the developers show they really care about Hawken, and want it to succeed. Nitpicks to the game are all minor, and include things like the high skill ceiling (steep learning curve) to really get the most performance out of your mech. However, the game's tutorial is fantastic, and it is very easy for new players to jump right in. I highly recommend giving the game a try. The default mech available to everyone, the CR-T Recruit, is incredibly powerful and very capable in the hands of a skilled pilot. Three additional, fully kitted out, mechs are available for free each week. Plus, if you enjoy the game and wish to support the developers, you can purchase one of many very reasonably priced game packs, which include mechs and in-game currency, and play like the game was a regular release title. Expand
  10. May 7, 2013
    Hawken is by no means a perfect game, but the amount of terribly scathing reviews due to ignorance and stupidity is appalling. The barrier to entry with Hawken is no different than any other FPS. Gameplay is chaotic, but there's a difference between chaotic and incomprehensible. If you can't determine that mechs outlined with red squares on your HUD are enemies, then maybe you should stayHawken is by no means a perfect game, but the amount of terribly scathing reviews due to ignorance and stupidity is appalling. The barrier to entry with Hawken is no different than any other FPS. Gameplay is chaotic, but there's a difference between chaotic and incomprehensible. If you can't determine that mechs outlined with red squares on your HUD are enemies, then maybe you should stay away from other games that use shapes and colors like checkers and tic-tac-toe. Microtransactions yes, but pay-to-win no. The Recruit suit (introductory mech given to every player) regularly tops charts in TDM, and skill outweighs weapons in this game. The developers are even nice enough to provide you with 400 Meteor points (cash points) after your first hour of play.

Play the tutorial people. You don't have to be a genius or rich to be halfway decent at this game.
  11. Feb 27, 2014
    I rate this a 10, even though it's not completed but soon will be, it's a great game overall. People like shakes321 would not know a good game if it hit him. The game isn't meant to be a realistic mech game, it's more arcade and made it as real as "can be". If you knew anything about early access on steam, this is something steam does for new games being published, the game will forever beI rate this a 10, even though it's not completed but soon will be, it's a great game overall. People like shakes321 would not know a good game if it hit him. The game isn't meant to be a realistic mech game, it's more arcade and made it as real as "can be". If you knew anything about early access on steam, this is something steam does for new games being published, the game will forever be free to play and the fee will be gone in a few weeks time.

As a F2P the game quality is superb (visually) for what it is. This is by far the best shooter I have come across since last year, and I did try them all. Since finding hawken, I haven't looked elsewhere and it's been very rewarding and engaging, there's at least 15 or so mechs now and each has a different way to play with new mechs coming in the future, as well as maps, once Adhesive have time to add them in, but updates are now happening at a much faster rate than before.

The issue with the match making is that the servers need to assertain your MMR rating, which does not happen over night and will take time to pair you up with players on your level. The better you become at playing or the longer you play, the better the chances for more quality games. Instead of being insta killed all the time. The thing is, that people have the mentality of not wanting to lose, but you will lose at some stage, even if it has to be 20 times before you win a game.

People need to realise that most of the game modes require team effort and co-operation, being a solo bandit killing mechs as if you were rambo does not always work out, especially if you keep dying. One thing about hawken is, it's not just fast paced, but you literally have to think on your feet and use good thinking, not only to get kills but to avoid being killed and living another skirmish.
  12. Jan 20, 2013
    Hawken is a mech game fast & light mechs similar to gundam mechs NOT SIMILAR TO mechwarrior mechs. Its a quick learning curve game. For a free game this game is a winner, especially because this is a beautiful graphic game. To the reviewer that says you need to pay to win, maybe he didn't play it long enough but the only thing that I can figure you can buy with money that you cant buyHawken is a mech game fast & light mechs similar to gundam mechs NOT SIMILAR TO mechwarrior mechs. Its a quick learning curve game. For a free game this game is a winner, especially because this is a beautiful graphic game. To the reviewer that says you need to pay to win, maybe he didn't play it long enough but the only thing that I can figure you can buy with money that you cant buy with play credit is aesthetics parts. YOU WILL ENJOY THIS GAME IF YOU LOVE MECHS OR FPS games. Expand
  13. Jan 7, 2014
    Anyone who says that this game is a pay to win experience in lying. Pretty much every real world money purchases are just cosmetics for your mech, and you gain HC (In-game currency) quickly enough to be able to freely acquired free internal and offensive devices for you mech. Most of the issues regarding balance have been solved. You can also unlock new mechs without having to purchaseAnyone who says that this game is a pay to win experience in lying. Pretty much every real world money purchases are just cosmetics for your mech, and you gain HC (In-game currency) quickly enough to be able to freely acquired free internal and offensive devices for you mech. Most of the issues regarding balance have been solved. You can also unlock new mechs without having to purchase them (With real or in-game money) by fully levelling up one of your current mechs or by increasing your pilot level.

Combat is fast, for a western Mecha game. You can quickly dodge incoming missiles by sliding either right or left at the perfect moment, you can hover up into the air, and quickly turn your mech 180 degrees if someone catches your unprotected backside.

I will say that most players online are pretty much incompetent, but this is more thanks to a lack of coordination and communication than anything. If you are playing this game, be prepared to use the voice-chat if you want to succeed.

Team balancing is also an issue, but the devs are actively working on trying to fix it. All in all, I say that if you're a mecha fan, download this game and try it out.
  14. Jul 22, 2013
    This F2P FPS has so much potential...too bad that after about 28$ million capital injection around last year (no joke, google it!) the game is still, as of July 2013, in Open-Beta state. The devs are literally giving 2 flying F***s about the community...with slow updates, lesser servers, with some awful ping (I play on the UK ones and in about a third of em I ping 200-250). With that kindaThis F2P FPS has so much potential...too bad that after about 28$ million capital injection around last year (no joke, google it!) the game is still, as of July 2013, in Open-Beta state. The devs are literally giving 2 flying F***s about the community...with slow updates, lesser servers, with some awful ping (I play on the UK ones and in about a third of em I ping 200-250). With that kinda money support/funding, this game should have rocked the ground amongst other F2Ps like PlanetSide2, Team Fortress 2, Blacklight: Retribution etc... Hawken has, if I did the counting right, more than 3 years since they started development and I quote: "On March 9, 2011 Adhesive Games announced Hawken with a trailer of the work-in-progress, with only 9 months of development behind it." That's right down pathetic, and poor excuse too still be an incomplete, not finished game...

As for the technical part of the game, it runs OK, but still needs polishing...I can barely keep 60fps with a 1090t, gtx670 and 8Gbs or RAM on HIGH settings (not ULTRA)

The game has (STILL!) some dreadful balance issues along with a niche community of hardcore players that have maxed out their mechs...and all that (along with step learning curve) really make the sessions frustrating in the long run...leveling of the mechs is OK at best, it's sort of appealing...but by the time you've maxed out a mech or two, you will most likely find the game repetitive and stagnant; with really few incentives to actually spend more of your money on in-game currency (Meteor Credits).

If you're looking for a good F2P first-person-shooter, just go with the ones I've mention above...if you're really into mech stuff, and you're not satisfied with MechWarrior Online or other of the same genre...my advice, don't get your hopes too high with Hawken either.
  15. Mar 15, 2014
    This game is amazing. Ignore the meta score. All these reviews are outdated an no longer relevant. The F2P model has been improved to perfection, there's still incentive to purchase (so the game can generate revenue and servers can stay online) but I've only played 10 hours and already have bought 4 mechs as well as tons of upgrades. The combat is innovative, with abilities, internals, 2This game is amazing. Ignore the meta score. All these reviews are outdated an no longer relevant. The F2P model has been improved to perfection, there's still incentive to purchase (so the game can generate revenue and servers can stay online) but I've only played 10 hours and already have bought 4 mechs as well as tons of upgrades. The combat is innovative, with abilities, internals, 2 weapons and dodge mechanics all making for fluid and fresh combat not seen in other games. The learning curve is perfect and the matchmaking is shockingly accurate and matches you with players of your skill level. And it's a beta! If you ever had a hint of doubt in your mind as to whether this game was worth it, you should cast it aside and give this free and amazing game a shot! Expand
  16. Feb 16, 2014
    Fun, hardcore and beautiful multiplayer. And it's not "pay-to-win" — u can earn all the useful upgrades by playing in matchmaking. I like this game quite much. 10/10
  17. Feb 13, 2014
    Flat out, one of the best F2P games ever made. The learning curve is rough only if you jump straight in to ranked matches (namely free-for-all death match) without doing the tutorials and running a few games of the offline practice or online co-op bot mode. That said, the game tries to place you in games with people of similar pilot rank but that doesn't mean you can't get smokedFlat out, one of the best F2P games ever made. The learning curve is rough only if you jump straight in to ranked matches (namely free-for-all death match) without doing the tutorials and running a few games of the offline practice or online co-op bot mode. That said, the game tries to place you in games with people of similar pilot rank but that doesn't mean you can't get smoked occasionally; It's a squad based shooter, not a sim. There are bound to be some elite players who practice night and day... The controls are really easy to learn and master if you play basically any FPS games, and the sound, graphics, & physics are really good. Mech balance has been very thorough, as you'd know if you played all through the beta. There are internal components you can earn to customize your mech a bit, and you can unlock every single one via normal game play, and it doesn't take eons which is nice. You can pay real money to unlock cosmetics like paint, and body parts from the other mechs of the same class. You can also pay to unlock internal parts sooner, and buy bots faster than you'd earn them, but it really doesn't give any real advantage since all the bots are equally capable if played right. Anyone who thinks the game is pay-to-win hasn't played it enough to know that is nonsense. A lot of players stay with the starting bot long after they've unlocked everything else because its just good all around. I do wish there was a single player or co-op campaign mode but that's not what the game is really about. One thing I really love is the online community for Hawken, The devs can regularly be found in higher ranked games and the response the player critiques/requests is better than any online game I've seen. Patches are on-point, and somewhat frequent without being annoying. My only real gripe is that if you play at non peak hours, sometimes the only games active aren't what you really want. Overall, Hawken is pretty incredible. I honestly can't figure out why anyone would give it a negative review unless they've been emotionally compromised, coming off the heels of repeated beat downs. Expand
  18. Feb 15, 2014
    HAWKEN is for tier 1 PC gamers. A terrific experience in the likeness of Armored Core but with all the features you have always wanted. This is not a game for your 12 year old teeny bopper who thinks Episode 2 is the best of the triology. Anyone born before '95 knows what I mean. This games learning curve is steep and the gameplay fast paced. PROFESSIONAL GAMERS ONLY PLEASE.
  19. Feb 15, 2014
    Hawken is astonishingly fast paced and action packed and it deserves better than the current critic score. The fast paced battles and customization make the game fun for hours and hours. I did not play it as much before in alpha, but now I have hours and hours into the game on steam. I hope that you will get past the lame critic score and see the game for how it really is: awesome.
  20. Feb 20, 2014
    Hawken is a fast paced FPS-game. The gameplay is wonderful once you get the hang of it. It's F2P so it's is well worth a try. The interface can be a bit hard to understand but it doesn't take much time to get used to how it works.

NOTICE! Even though it's free to play it's not pay to win. Many people wants to think it is but it's not. Sure you can pay money to get mechs faster but every mech is available to everyone . It's just a matter of how much time you want to spend on the game. Anyways what's the deal with buying mechs that you can get for free anyways?

Many people who say it's a bad game usually doesn't like the genre or doesn't know how to play the game properly. The gameplay is fast paced and can be quite complicated when it comes to movement. The boost and dodging is what makes the game challenging but also fun. You need to dodge often to avoid enemy fire.

Hawken is really worth a try but don't hate on it if you don't really get the movement no one does in the beginning.
  21. Mar 12, 2014
    Hawken is a new outstanding free-to-play game. I think this game shows how the 3rd world war will look like. People will fight using huge powerful mechs. Thanks to this game is made on the unreal engine, both graphics and gameplay are on extremely high level. Sounds effects fit to the game setting. Hawken is awesome game. I really recommend it.
  22. Jan 17, 2013
    I have put in a considerable amount of time into Hawken over the past couple of weeks. Firstly, I'd like to clear this up and say that this game is NOT pay to win. The starter recruit mech is customizable, and is one of the stronger loadouts, so if you're struggling, I'm afraid the problem lies with the user. Playing with friends is a blast and adds a lot more depth to combat. Relying onI have put in a considerable amount of time into Hawken over the past couple of weeks. Firstly, I'd like to clear this up and say that this game is NOT pay to win. The starter recruit mech is customizable, and is one of the stronger loadouts, so if you're struggling, I'm afraid the problem lies with the user. Playing with friends is a blast and adds a lot more depth to combat. Relying on your team mates for drop repairs, cover fire, shields and radars and baiting / ambushing your oponents is very rewarding. With repair guns and a Technician class hinted in the game files, I can only speculate that we can see some whole new elements of gameplay being added in the future. Being a beta, I have high hopes for Hawkens future. There are some balance issues here and there, but nothing that cant be overcome with solid communication and maneuvering with your team. I would love to see a lot more customization for the mechs, some form of ranking system or rated play and a party system and have faith that the Hawken devs are listening to their playerbase. Hawken is a great game, and worth a try. Expand
  23. Jan 3, 2013
    Hawken is a brilliant game. The sense of weight and scale is apparent. The combat, once you get the hang of it, is extremely fast based and reactionary. The biggest mechanic that a lot of reviewers seem to be missing is the Dodging / Boosting system.
    You have to be quick to dodge using your boosters. Read your opponents moves and play strategically while still maintaining twitch reflex shooting. Its very, very intense. Don't treat it like your average FPS, you aren't a humanoid, you are a mech, you have separate advantages and disadvantages, get used to them. Verticality plays a huge role in the gameplay as well. The mechs are agile in a whole different way. But if you try to run and gun like an average FPS, you're toast.

There really isn't any other game like Hawken out right now. Its a Mech Sim FPS with an arcade game feel. There are 8 mechs to choose from, I think, each with their distinct advantages and abilities. The game also features a very robust item/ mech upgrade system, much time will be spend configuring the build that suits you best.

As far as the F2P model, its rather well designed, if you play smart and play well, procuring ingame credits is a breeze (as is leveling up). If you lack the patience or time, real world currency can be used for unlocks.

Did I mention the game looks incredibly stunning? No other game imo right now touts as much polish and detail visually, its remarkable that its F2P.

Get this and decide for your self.

A++

PS. Its still in Beta, it will only get better from here on out.
  24. Feb 22, 2013
    While it can be fun to jump in for brief periods of time, the learning curve is steep for new players and the gameplay is hectic and repetitive in the long term. Even when winning matches, the frustration due to the game's chaotic nature can have a tendency to outweigh the overall fun factor. Matchmaking is constantly being worked on but seemingly never improved. Playing in team basedWhile it can be fun to jump in for brief periods of time, the learning curve is steep for new players and the gameplay is hectic and repetitive in the long term. Even when winning matches, the frustration due to the game's chaotic nature can have a tendency to outweigh the overall fun factor. Matchmaking is constantly being worked on but seemingly never improved. Playing in team based modes (which comprises 3/4 of the currently available game modes) tend to result in one team dominating while the other team struggles and constantly deals with a rotating team due to players constantly leaving due to frustration. Making matters worse, while still in the open beta the game functionality and regular player base seems to have filtered out many of the curious newcomers and has culled the herd down to those hardcore players that have mastered their mechs, leveled each one to the maximum level, and don't necessarily want things to change. This leads to very limited options when searching for available servers and almost guarantees a new player to be dumped into a match full of high level, very experienced players. If in the US and searching at night on a weekend, you may be hard pressed to find just one server for each type due to the lack of activity. New players that express their concern about this painful level gap in game or on the message boards results in many of the established players explaining as a fact that mech level means nothing in Hawken (if you are as incredulous reading this as I was when someone first tried to explain this concept to me check the hawken message boards as there are many discussion regarding it). Even if this were the case (which obviously it is not leveling gives bonuses and bonuses give advantages), this would mean that the best case scenario is that the currently implemented upgrades system is close to worthless. =/

If you are curious go check it out and think for yourself, but based on experience it would seem the best course of action would be to wait until the game is out of beta before really investing any time (or God forbid money) in hopes that the fixes to gameplay and balancing are ironed out. While the game is in beta it seems as though focus is mainly on overall stability (there are very few crashes) and implementing new content for the dedicated fan base as opposed to making the game more accessible and enjoyable for new players.
  25. Mar 1, 2013
    Hawken isn't a free game to play, you play online matches and acquire in game currency to buy new Mechs, purchase different equipment and different perks. There's multiple game modes and you can filter the matches based on your location. One thing I did find was for the USA East it was tough to find any matches but by switching it to USA West I had no problem. Its a decent enough game butHawken isn't a free game to play, you play online matches and acquire in game currency to buy new Mechs, purchase different equipment and different perks. There's multiple game modes and you can filter the matches based on your location. One thing I did find was for the USA East it was tough to find any matches but by switching it to USA West I had no problem. Its a decent enough game but it does only hold your attention for so long. I can play for a hour at a time or so..it's a good way to waste some time but its also fun but for whatever reason i get bored quick. Expand
  26. Feb 16, 2013
    Hawken could be described as the embodiment of "average". It does not really stand out in any way, possibly due to the bland graphics, so super foggy to the point that you might imagine the game is taking place underwater. The game modes can be fun, and require team play, but the lack of things such as auto balance, and some unbalanced map design mean that winning a game in Hawken mightHawken could be described as the embodiment of "average". It does not really stand out in any way, possibly due to the bland graphics, so super foggy to the point that you might imagine the game is taking place underwater. The game modes can be fun, and require team play, but the lack of things such as auto balance, and some unbalanced map design mean that winning a game in Hawken might not be due to your skills, but most likely due to some underlying fault in the map/ mechanics/ balance.
    Hawken aims to be a hit to the "unskilled" f2p crowd, with level ups to keep you interested, unlocks and cosmetic items, and this comes at the expense of the skilled player, when the team based game modes are full of people generally not helping. Ultimately the game modes are what will either make or break this game. If Hawken does manage to cater for skilled, competitive players, and fixes the little annoyances here and there, it will no doubt become a great game. However, given that these problems do exist, it means more likely the game will be just-another-UT3-game, as easily forgettable as it is was initially exciting.
  27. Sep 17, 2013
    The latest patch has made this game much better, enjoying it much more now! Easily the best mech combat game out there, has some good action to it....
  28. Feb 11, 2014
    Just another boring generic shooter but with mechs. There is no depth. The game has really bad matchmaking. It doesn't know what it whats to because the Developer keep drastically changing it's core game-play throughout the last few years.The recent changes only the game feel a lot more generic by taking away what little depth it had before.
  29. Feb 23, 2014
    A wonderful F2P, fast-paced FPS experience with much more in common with Armored Core than MechWarrior. If you want to win your matches simply by stacking the biggest guns on the biggest frame, this isn't for you. If you want to have to seriously consider your options when choosing between the lighter, burst-damage capable mech and the heavier, more-sustainable mech, then this is right upA wonderful F2P, fast-paced FPS experience with much more in common with Armored Core than MechWarrior. If you want to win your matches simply by stacking the biggest guns on the biggest frame, this isn't for you. If you want to have to seriously consider your options when choosing between the lighter, burst-damage capable mech and the heavier, more-sustainable mech, then this is right up your alley. Expand
  30. Feb 27, 2014
    Before Hawken's move to steam the game was well crafted and innovative mech shooter, offering fast paced combat, but not removing the feeling of being in a mech. However, since its move to steam the game has taken a drastic u-turn replacing the old game with a steam friendly "twitch shooter" mess. This is coupled with the stream of updates that occasionally remedy issues but mostly hinderBefore Hawken's move to steam the game was well crafted and innovative mech shooter, offering fast paced combat, but not removing the feeling of being in a mech. However, since its move to steam the game has taken a drastic u-turn replacing the old game with a steam friendly "twitch shooter" mess. This is coupled with the stream of updates that occasionally remedy issues but mostly hinder and damage the game further(2steps foward 4 steps back). Further failures of adhesive games lay in its match "balancing" system. This system rarely creates balance 90% of games having a difference of 20 kills between the teams, stacking too many players on one team and filling the winning team players while leaving the losing side till lacking. Hawken represents the biggest fall from grace of any free to play game; going from my favorite time-sync to a pitiful disaster with little to no reasons to keep playing. In addition pay 2 win elements have crept further into the game since its steam update with the replacement of skill tree unlocking mechs to just buying them with micro-transactions or in game money a further dumbing down of the system. In game currency earnt per game will barely raise over 250 each game mech cost between 7000-12000 of this currency, so prepare to spend a lifetime saving for the mech you want. Hawken has sold it soul for a chance to get on steam and alienated veteran players to attract call of duty kids; the devs may as well remove the mech models and replace them with humans because the once powerful mechs who could take hits I played in have been replaced with tin cans that are destroyed instantly by a single shot ,(the intro video shows this perfectly to their detriment). Give the game a chance if you want, you may like it, but eventually its allure will fade you will become woefully bored with what remains. For those who read all of it , Thank you. Expand

1. PC PowerPlay
    Aug 1, 2013
    Hawken shows that piloting a mech doesn't have to be a complex task, and it gets players straight into the action. [Aug 2013, p.92]
  2. Jul 1, 2013
    Quotation forthcoming.
  3. Jun 25, 2013
    Very ambitious, but we’d urge them to concentrate on the game; with poor matchmaking, few maps, overly simple game modes and a limited free game, players might not stick around. And that would be a shame.