6.4

1. Oct 31, 2014
    This game is addicting! I can say that for sure!

Blizzard has done a damn good job on this one its not Starcraft or Diablo but its bloody amazing. However the Tutorial is very long you have to complete a whole 6 bosses before you can start playing. Thats annoying I can tell you that. The ranked is infuriating but when you win a match you feel unstoppable. I lost 21 games in a row then
    won 2 and I was in league 23. I like it. However you dont even get gold if you win a match. You need to win like 3 and then you get between 20-50 gold and 5 cards are 100. So thats where the "FREE"-TO-PLAY aspect comes in. It is good at heart and I would very much you recommend playing it! It is not worth a 0.

Pros
    - Intentness
    - Ranked is Hard but rewarding
    - Joy of getting good cards

Cons
    - "FREE"-TO-PLAY
    - Dont get much gold for winning
    - Cards to much

Total Score: 67/100
  2. Oct 21, 2014
    This game is no fun at all. Matchmaking is bad, arena is very very bad, paying players are OP. Don't even bother playing this while you could be playing any other FUN game.
  3. Oct 18, 2014
    You need spent many time for playable deck or DONATE, DONATE AND DONATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! If u lucky and collected good deck you will encounter with "awry" random system.....
  4. Oct 17, 2014
    I originally rated this a 6 since at the core it's a great game, but was moderately pay-to-win.

I'm adjusting the rating again since it's has become completely pay-to-win.

I've played since beta without paying and don't have a single legendary. I've earned $100+ of cards for free over a year or so to give you a scope of how much money/time DOESN'T get you a legendary. You simply
    don't get them without paying money. That would be fine if it was the business model to pay for a card, but it's not. You dump money into a RNG card generator hoping for a good card.

I play ranked primarily and I've always reached a point where it's not skill that matters, but having legendary cards. I've accepted that because I didn't play enough to hit that point quickly every month (rank resets every month), so it was still fun.

Now they've modified the model again and it's easier to get specific legendaries, but ONLY if you'll dump $40 into 15 minutes of content and three card rewards. The result is that the ranked cutoff where you need very rare and legendary cards to succeed is hit very early now in a matter of a few sittings.

Plus you can stack as many legendaries as you like. I played someone that I had dead to rights and then he played four legendary cards in a row. That's not deck-building, that's Bliz rewarding careless $$$ spending.

It's impossible to put my support behind a model like this because I just don't know whether my investment ends up useless three months down the road when they rework the system again. A lump sum up front for all cards, then for follow-up expansions would be ideal. Then you can have fun deck building. As it stands right now I haven't seen a card I can use in my favorite decks in months. It just feels like a treadmill.

It's a shame because I love games like this and I wanted this to succeed, but a Blizzard got in it's way.
  5. Oct 14, 2014
    Lack of cards, and everyone just runs the same kind of decks later in the game! so its just a luck and count wich cards your opponent already used game!
  6. Oct 12, 2014
    At first glance this game is pretty good, at second glance it gets worse, at final glance it is a frustrating piece of ****

The main problem is the card decks and the element of luck in every game you play, for example you can play the same deck against the same opponent and the first time you can beat them without them even hitting you once, then you can reload and they will destroy
    you by move 8, you retry and destroy them by move 8. This has nothing to do with playing the cards you are dealt, since if luck isn't on your side you can end up with 4 cards that need 8 crystals and the opponent will have a zerg rush waiting to kick your ass.

It gets a 3 because it is a well crafted game like anything Blizzard make, but as for the gameplay mechanics it gets a big fat 0 since it isn't even a game that you can be good at, you just sit there and hope that *this* time your cards will come out in the right order and you can't actually be a GOOD Hearthstone player, just someone hedging his or her bets that the deck you've built is going to beat the odds so you don't need to be lucky to win it.

Which also means if you want to be good at Hearthstone you just need to buy the cards you need to win and play a lot, since there is no actual skill involved to become a good player, just the bare basics of gameplay where you don't make really stupid decisions. Get the basic elements of play down (don't use a group damage spell when the enemy has no minions, don't be stupid.) and you will win, and the reverse of that if you have a **** deck and luck isn't on your side you will fail.

I really wouldn't mind any of the luck element if the skill element could make up for bad luck, but it doesn't. You can be a brilliant strategist but you will lose against a lucky retard rolling his face across the keys and summoning a murloc zerg while you hold 2 core hounds you can't use for 3 turns. You might as well just download a higher/lower card game app on a tablet, because that's basically what Hearthstone is, just a random number generator with nice graphics.
  7. Oct 12, 2014
    A game that's pay 2 win, swarming with bots and having this distinct stench of a low-budget dev team that is also unfortunately plagued with Blizzard's notorious "make a class OP, let it stay a week then nerf it to oblivion before making something else OP", AKA; Flip-Flop balancing.

Stay away.
  8. Oct 7, 2014
    Strategically too simple and with an unnerving amount of unnecesairy random elements.

Personally I'd urge people to give the VERY underrated game Might & magic: Duel of champions a try instead of Hearthstone. Tried it while I was waiting for my HS beta-key, haven't looked back since. (well, tbh I do still grind a few dailys now and then, and played through the Naxx-expansion)
  9. Oct 4, 2014
    I'm pretty new to this type of card games, but HS has been a nice experience. My only problem is the strength of some decks, especially those that include legendaries. I cannot count the times my opponent was visibly, unquestionably playing like CRAP, making absolutely fundamental mistakes, but had 2-3 imba cards and a bit of luck and just beat me because of those.

Apart from that, a
    nice way to kill some time. Expand
  10. Oct 4, 2014
    This game looks ok but it has a horrible pay-to-win business model. Anyone starting the game now faces a massive disadvantage to players who have invested a great deal of time and money into this game. There is a serious flaw in the inability to trade cards, meaning any dollar spent on this game is extremely wasteful. This cash grab by blizzard should be avoided.
  11. Oct 4, 2014
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is the greatest digital card game for everyone.It is very easy to learn and difficult to master. The musical score and sounds are very good as well.
  12. Oct 3, 2014
    No. Just, just no. This game is definitely not up to par. Because of one reason. Microtransactions. I mean, I think it's a decent concept. It's a trading card game with no trading. So it's a card game. A card game slightly related to the Warcraft series. But it's a bloody MMO. Which means the developers are going to milk money out of it. Things cost a lot if you use in-game currencies. The in-game currency is quite hard to get, so things seem to cost a buttload of money. Guess what you can get more in-game currency with so you can buy some more cards and stuff? Real money. This... this. This is not a good thing. I mean look at all the games out there, which, after you've downloaded or purchased them, ask you for more money. DLC. Microtransactions. "Win by giving us more money". Things take quite a long time to unlock. Would suggest to stay away from it.

In conclusion, I would wish to say that the game is a complete grind (or grindfest, if you will) and it gets repetitive fast.
  13. Oct 2, 2014
    At a first glance, a superior CCG, as it succeeds in combining very simple game mechanics with a lot of charme, attractive and really different classes, permanent updates and a solid amount of depth, as no other game does.

After the first euphoria, however, it gets clear that the game suffers from a lot of downsides as well:

Players are pushed to spend money, and therefore, average
    opponents have very strong cards, against which it is hard to compete, even on the lower levels and unranked play.
    Be prepared for LOTS of frustration and unfairness, if you choose to play this game for free, or anything below, at the very least, 100 Dollar.

Additionaly, randomness plays a bigger role in this game that it should. Too often are games decided by certain, game-breaking cards, lucky or unlucky draws or uncontrollable effects (f.e cards that deals x to y damage to all enemies, cards that attack a random character...).

Then, the small card-pool leaves very little room for individualism, which has lead to a pool of "standard-decks", that you will find over and over, and that players with ambitions will need to use to reach higher ranks.

And finally, the balance is suboptimal.
    First of all, does the second player get a significant advantage: not only does he get to choose between four starting cards instead of three, he also gets a card, that costs 0, grants one mana and counts as a spell!
    And then, no matter how good you play and how well your deck is prepared:
    If you are unlucky enough to face certain, usually legendary cards and are not in the position to deal with them immediately or finish the game within the next round, you will most likely lose.
    Examples would be Archmage Antonidas, which creates a fireball (costs 4, deals 6 damage) in the players hand for each spell he casts, inclusing those generated fireballs, or Echoing Ooze, which costs 2 and creates a duplicate of itself, including all buffs, at the end of the turn.

Those downsides dont make Hearthstone a bad game on their own, as the game has to offer a lot as well. But only for those, that are in the comfortable position to build a deck thats strong enough to compete with every class and level...

Finalizing, this could have been the best CCG of all time. In its very core, there really is an outstanding game. And if you get to the point where you can build yourself a high-end deck you really like, and only then, immense fun, extreme challenging gameplay and endless amounts of replayablity await.
    Thats also the point, where farming stops feeling like a neverending journey of stress and suffering, and begins to feel rewarding. You will get to love to get awarded, and to increase your collection, just by playing.

Until you reach that point of comfort, however, you will learn to hate this game from the deepness of your heart. Playing will feel like work, progresses will hardly be noteable, you will get stuck in ranked play fast and other players will trample over you with their high-budget decks.

Ive gone through both phases and talk by experience.

So, do i recommend Hearthstone?
    If you dont plan to buy yourself into the game, this game doesnt have much good to offer, will annoy you much more than it will reward and i seriously recommend to skip Hearthstone and every other F2P or P2P competetor and play a CCG with no or little P2W aspects.
    If you like CCGs and are in the position and willing to spend a good amount of money into this game, (which is still extremely fair and significantly lower than in every other CCG i have ever played), this game is more than worth it, will offer an extremely well cost-benefit ratio and will reward you with an amount of pleasure, you will hardly find in other games...
  14. Oct 2, 2014
    Worst **** game on the market right now. They call this "free to play" but the game is completely pay to win . The only way to get good cards is to buy packs. Good luck trying to buy packs with gold because it will taking you **** forever to get something decent. If you have time to waste, then play this game.
  15. Oct 1, 2014
    Hearthstone is quite addictive, however while the game looks good at the start, unfortunately it becomes terribly dull terribly quickly. Gameplay is based almost entirely on randomness and luck (card draw and random results), with skill a very small factor in the occasional game. There are countless technical issues which the developers seem unwilling or unable to address effectively.
  16. Sep 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall Premise: Digital Card Games x Warcraft to the greatest effect.

Graphics and Sound: The graphics look like Warcraft to be sure and the the sound effects to accompany cards are definitely…interesting at times throughout.

Playability and Entertainment: Definitely very accessible and entertaining to collect cards as you progress in skill.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 9.25/10.0
  17. Sep 27, 2014
    The entire game is well balanced. You can feel that the game depends on microtransaction, but it doesn't affect the game in a negative way (at least I have noticed). The only bad thing I have to say about the game, is the bugs. There are some bugs that ruin the entire experience. I was playing a game recently and I was about to win. I waited for more than a minute. So I just conceded, but just as I pressed the button. The game resumed, and I lost, even though I would have won, when it was my turn again. Expand
  18. Sep 27, 2014
    The early review made of this p2w game, delivered to you by blizzard themselves, was removed. So now we know, that the money to be made in these games, are to good to be refused. Well, the review got removed along with the rest of the reviews at the time. Needless to say that nearly all of the reviews called this out as just another p2w scam. The only saving grace being, that these kind of games already had incorporated the money- grabbing concept, that pampers to the compulsive behavior prison, before making it to the computers. I suppose blizzard either played the "still in beta card" (though their in-game shop was of course not in beta, yes today, people pay to test beta games, so called free beta games that is, again targeting the weak) or maybe blizzard simply had a card of their own, up the sleeve...

The trolls selling these types of games, like toxic candy to retarded children, are as a matter of fact, just poor cronies.
  19. Sep 27, 2014
    A lot of people are giving it terrible ratings for being pay to win, which is kind of silly.
    The game mode "arena" gives you random cards to choose from. The only gold/money involved is used to get into the arena. 100% impossible to "pay to win" in arena.
    In regular constructed play, paying really doesn't offer you an advantage, although it does open up a lot more possibilities. There
    are plenty of cheap decks you can make, but they all feel about the same. Paying will definitely boost your enjoyment of the game by giving you more options, but you always have the option to grind a bit more to save money. Doing great in arena is an easy way to get cards for free while enjoying the game.
    Check out Trump's F2P decks on youtube if you think its P2W. He gets to legendary rank with Free to play decks.

Its a great little game to play if you are short on time or multitasking.
  20. Sep 22, 2014
    Hearthstone is an online card game that is free to play but Blizzard (the company who makes it) profits from it by online purchases.

It is really based on Magic the Gathering (MTG). There are a lot of key differences though:

It is much easier to learn and start playing it. Mastering it is still very difficult. It much faster than any other card game, with games that can last down to
    5 minutes.

Unlike MTG, you will never get mana flooded or having too few lands. The game gives you a mana crystal every turn. This also means that less cards are needed in a good deck, i.e. you dont need the expansive multicolored lands like in MTG.

It is much cheaper that MTG. In hearthstone spending 200-250$ will get you all the cards, and half the legenderies. Probably more. In MTG a single card can cost more than the above amount. In a MTG deck you will need 4 cards of each. Decks are also 60 cards minimum, 20-25 of which are lands that are in general non-basik and cost money too. In Hearthstone they are exactly 30, an not lands. In addition in Hearthstone you actually get gold by making guests and just wining games in ladder. MTG you have to win some local event or booster draft. Nobody will give you free packs in MTG.

You can do something with you duplicates, you disenchant them to get arcane dust, so you can craft the cards you need. In MTG you sell or trade them, but the bulk of cards rots in the basement.

The arena, the draft analogy of MTG. cost 2$ to enter. Again much cheaper than MTG.

The game really shines on the ipad air.
    The game itself is very polished and relatively bug free. It also is very addicting and fun to play.

Getting competitive is easy if you are good at it. Just get to top ranking in legendary and you go to Blizzcon.

Some things I have to say.
    -The game is extremely difficult at higher ranks. Players there spend a lot of time on it, so if you don't do the same you will lose and drop in rank. No matter your cards. You CANNOT pay 1000$ and expect to be top player.

The only suggestions I have so far is to make climbing the ladder more interesting. As it is now, the only real reason to play on ladder is to get to rank 20 to get a card back. The next goal is to go to legend rank, which is very difficult. There is a huge number of games in-between that do not offer any type of reward except the 10 per 3 wins. Blizzard should really change that.
  21. Sep 15, 2014
    Hearthstone has the possibility to become the "next big thing" for pc gamers and TCG lovers.
    Yet, it needs polishing, it needs more cards and more players.
    Once since all requirements are met, no doubt we will see Heartstone has next big e-sport.
    Thumbs up for Blizzard for delivering once again.
  22. Sep 12, 2014
    a Simple simplistic card game, and to be competitive you HALF to throw money at it.

Blizzard keeps and keeps trying to steal money from our pockets with mediocre games like Diablo 3 Auction house and now a card game that makes you pay to win.

Fact is blizzard has took the greed route with garbage infested cash shop games.
  23. Sep 9, 2014
    Magic the Gathering: Warcraft Edition. Ages 6+. That is all this all hearthstone feels like, a simplified MtG.

There is too much grinding for even the basic cards, let alone the strong legendary cards. Games usually come down to the RNG of card draw. Arena doubly so with the RNG of drafting. Constructed play consists of everyone playing only the strongest two classes with the same two
    decks.
    The UI is amazing. That is the only nice thing I can really say about the game.
  24. Sep 9, 2014
    Ну кароч играли с посонами а у ниху данат(знаю пиздец)и кароче не винису нихуя игра пиздец нахуй играйте луче в диабло 1.5(ну хелфаер епт)и привет Тохе иди ты нахуй 10 гейбов из 10 близардов
  25. Sep 9, 2014
    Game so baz, my grundmer iz ded cuase of game so bed. 10/10. I areen't even thwe one who was jonkin abbot the one who had as amny skills ans me did.

Beast germ N/A
  26. Sep 8, 2014
    Someone summed this game up with words "digital casino".
    And that's exactly what this game is. Rule-wise it's bare bones and unbalanced beyond comprehension. The only mechanic this game has is **** you I destroy all minions" cards, which are hilarious. It could be fun for a minute, but the problem there is the bussiness model. You can't even buy decks or cards you actually want. You need
    to roll a dice (casino!) and count for the best, but most probably you will open hundreds of packs before you will be able to build an actual working deck. And then all there is gameplay-wise is top-decking counting to get "that" one or two **** you cards" the opponent can do nothing about. I think any other card game out there is better than this, unfortunately. Even the theme can't save it. Expand
  27. Sep 6, 2014
    At first this free to play, magic the gathering style, 'build your deck and play as a magic wielding hero' game seems like fun. It's very well presented in typical interface and graphics quality expected from such a large publisher. However, after quite a few hours of play, having built up tactics and got a good feel for the game, you realise the depth is lacking. 30 card decks with 2 card limits and only limited card pools to choose from leave a sour taste in the mouth every time you lose (and it will be frequently) to the very high weighting luck has in this card game. The character powers add some depth to the gameplay, but at the end of the day you'll play people using almost the same cards and win or lose on luck. The mechanics are quite restricted too, so I'm not sure that they can make a card base large enough to add the required variation to at least mask this element.
    Those getting higher into the rankings will also realise that free to play gets you so far. The number of players using high %s of rares, even low in rankings, is very surprising and will limit the fun for the casual player.
    It's certainly fun for a quick game here or there, and it's a shiny, we'll presented blizzard package, but if you're looking for some depth to your skill base in a card game, look elsewhere, as ultimately this is half built game mechanics with CCG-esc pay for power rankings.
  28. Sep 4, 2014
    I like the game itself, but the matchmaking is horrible. I feel like I always get matched with People who played this game a ton more than me. They all have more Cards than me and also cards I've never even saw before. I feel like I am getting forced to buy cards with real money. The Singleplayer mode isn't too good aswell (sadly)
  29. Sep 2, 2014
    Hearthstone is my first card collecting game, and I have to say it's been a pleasant experience. Grinding quests to get gold can be tedious at times but overall it's a solid game.
  30. Aug 31, 2014
    Decent casual CCG with a simple mechanic and a steep learning curve. It can keep you entertained for a long time and offers constant short play sessions, perfect for mobile. Besides some computer trainers and dungeons, the main game is PvP with some matchmaking issues.

First hurdle for new players are the 9 classes to play and to fight. You must unlock their basic cards first, and get a
    grip on their special action and their specific class cards.

Quests urge you to try out an owerflow of options - play all classes, against the computer, normal and ranked games, arena and now dungeons. New cards flood in, and you'll find yourself constantly adapting your decks without really knowing what you do, especially when not spending money early to afford vanilla decks.

After this you're on your own. There are enough guides for basic decks and economic starter decks. There are even a few good generic deck building guides out there. With a good grip on the game (ouch) you can cash your tutorial rewards for some card packs and get a competitive deck going with a few magic cards.

Even a casual player can harvest decent quest rewards with limited, regular effort, with 3 quests in parallel. Rewards accumulate to about 250-300 gold in 4 days, which is 3 packs of new cards or 2 arena fees. Even play maniacs can only raise this amount slowly, and get rewards with bragging rights instead.

Perception of fairness is something else completely. Losing unranked games vs decks 10 times more expensive than your own feels broken, and makes you question the game's matchmaking.
    In that respect ranked games are actually better, as the pros are sorted to the high ranks here.

But - even playing a perfect deck, I will lose 50% of my games against a mirror of my deck. In the short run random bad draws may leave me without chance more often than that (as does being a less than perfect player...).
    Can my deck consistently beat the NPC? On normal and hard? Does it have tempo issues, good card resupply? Do I have a consistent win idea, or do I try to do too much at once, and nothing right? With many decks it also makes a big difference which class I fight, as they all have special actions and removals available. Which cards to keep at start against whom? What to prepare for? Few guides care to explain this, and unexperienced players rarely have a clue about it.

If you're still here at this time, you're hooked and try to hack the metagame.
    Arena is nice as you randomly select your deck from all cards, but you better have a grasp on deck building or it is a waste of resources. Dungeons (Naxramas) add more (distant) cards, something a beginner can do without.

For some time the game had some annoying connectivity issues, atm it runs smoothely. Can play my account from both Pad and PC, which is fine.
  31. Aug 26, 2014
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is a quality free-to-play card game. There is no way to trade cards between players, which eliminates any possibility of gold farming or exploitation. You can get gold by winning battles, completing quests, and you can spend gold on booster packs of 5 cards, or you can pay to enter the arena, which is like an MTG draft event. You can also spend a bunch of gold on a level of the new DLC, which takes a popular WoW raid and allows the player to face of in card battles with mini-bosses to earn rare cards, unique to the expansion. The first wing of Curse of Naxxaramus is available for free and is tons of fun. Expand
  32. Aug 25, 2014
    Same as all games the game is "free" unless you want to spend real money in the game...optional "spending". Decent game, not as good as Magic card game but its cute. Mostly made for eSports gamers that get donations to buy decks etc etc. Overall one major issues, as most battle.net games is their network. Game lags, sometimes you cant log in at all, even when you play vs computer sometimes it takes them 2 to 5 minutes to make a move or pick a card. Expand
  33. Aug 25, 2014
    p2w, bad matchmaking.

Yes you can buy card packs with ingame currency(gold) but earn gold in this game is very frustrating, lets do some simple maths, you need 100 gold for buy 1 card pack so you need to win 30 games(crazy) but you will loose 50% of games so you have to play 60 games(lol 60 games for buy 1 card pack), 10 min for every game = 600 min = 10 hours.
  34. Aug 22, 2014
    Garbage. Pay to win, Nuff said. Dont waste your time. You will enjoy the first 2 weeks, then you will be destroyed by retards that spend money in this game and can buy better cards. Dont play this game.
  35. Aug 21, 2014
    Hearthstone is... a troubled title, to say the least. On the first hand, you have a card game that's clearly better than all the rest, and well done. It gives a good first impression. It runs well. It looks well. All of the cards are recognizable from the WoW source material that they are drawn from. The UI is convenient. It doesn't do any stupid crap like having cards sidewaysor upside down like certain other games(No idea why they do that, quite stupid for a video game where 2 players are not sharing the same monitor). It even allows you to disenchant unwanted cards to build up a dust supply to eventually craft what you do want, something other games don't have. This is a real game seller. Those other crappy card games just expect you to lottery until you get what you want, to hell with copies or cards you don't want piling up.

But on the other hand, you have a game that is being treated very poorly by its developer's. Not only is the balance in the game non existent because it focuses on a meta instead(Blizzard openly admits this)... but It's now over run with bots that they still refuse to do anything about. Bots are farming this game day and night now, so don't be surprised when you fight the same exact bot decks again and again. The bots have even infested the forum now, creating a slew of garbage spam threads every single night that persist until they're pushed off the next morning by real posters. Blizzard couldn't care less about these issues. They don't even use their own forum most of the time, opting instead to go to social networking sites such as Twitter or Facebook. That means that instead of caring about the users they have, they care only about drawing more in, which is the overall feel of the game. It's one big cash grab of a product, probably made solely to draw in revenue which they're now no doubt using on Heroes of the Storm instead of using it to improve Hearthstone.

The competitive play for the game is in shambles because of it's non existent balance. Every player with a class runs the same exact build because, when you run a meta, that's how it works. They all run what is best, to hell with anything else. If you come into this expecting a balanced game... you're going to be gravely disappointed. Half of the cards in this game are garbage no one uses or has any reason to use, while a small fraction are best and auto slotted into every deck. Many players like myself(1k+ posts) have spent all year trying to talk Blizzard into fixing this game, including all problems I've pointed out here, and we've only gotten deaf ears turned to us. As usual with Blizzard games, the months roll by and little to no problems are actually addressed. They take the game down for entire days to apply no patches, or patch with 1 or 2 lines in the patch log that didn't fix anything people were trying to get them to look at for months on end.

The biggest thing they did for the game this year was add Naxx, which basically just hands out a slew of cards very cheaply to anyone that wants them. Naxx is an all around bust in my opinion. It's too cheap to enter, too easy to beat, then has no reason to even replay it once you got all the cards. The only difficulty even in this "adventure" is Heroic Mode, which makes the bosses impossibly difficult without tailor made decks to beat them. And what's your reward for all the trouble? Nothing. You get nothing for beating every boss on Heroic except a card back no one cares about. It needed a middle ground, instead of having a "too easy" mode that hands out all the cards, and a "too hard" mode that gives you nothing for your trouble. Bust. Just a bust. Replayability would have helped, but there is none for it. After doing all of Naxx, I finally decided to retire. I've waited long enough for Blizzard to do something with this title, anything other than treating it like a lottery machine.

I should point out the embarrassing Kel Thuzad voice acting. What used to be an evil Lich is now a clown cracking jokes for bored children at a birthday party. That sets the overall tone and disappointing nature of the game perfectly.

But like all controversial games with nothing but biased fanboy or hater reviews; it's both over rated and under rated. Speaking from an objective point of view, it's not a bad game, it just isn't as great as it easily could have been if Blizzard cared at all about it. I'd like to point out that despite what a lot of ignorant people say, it is not P2W either. You can competitive with cheap decks; it's been proven time and time again. The debate about this has been beaten to death, with threads made nearly every day trying to convince you one way or the other. I've been competitive myself and never put in more than 10$. So I can't really thumbs this up or down; I'm just going to leave it up to you as I retire. In summery Hearthstone is a decent enough card game, but it's easy to be disappointed when you look at all the wasted potential.
    -Drain (Steam)
  36. Aug 18, 2014
    I don't understand all the negative reviews. This game is awesome and addicting. U can get a little bored of it but that's maybe just me. When i first started to play the game i thought it was kinda lame. But i was wrong. After like ten games i loved it and played it constantly.
  37. Aug 16, 2014
    The game itself is unbalanced, unfair, cheap and an absolutely pathetic attempt from Blizzard to try and create a good card game. The game is purely about odds and how lucky or unlucky in most cases you are at drawing the right cards at the right time.
    9 times out of 10 you will lose because of these odds and you cant help but feel that the majority of times you lost is because of the
    game itself and poorly made it actually is. Also players that actually choose to pay for cards in this game somehow gain a advantage over those that refuse to pay and this makes the game even cheaper than it already is.
    I would never recommend such a game to no one, it is not enjoyable, it is not fun, it is cheap and unbalanced and one of the most frustrating experiences that I have have with card games.
  38. Aug 16, 2014
    This game is awesome, sure it had his problems over the beta but Blizzard fixed almost all of them and the class balance work is very fine too.
    The mechanic is both simple and funny, so it's easy to a new player to learn the game basics but he or she will have the possibility to make weighted plays too, it's a card game but it's not all based on luck.
    Contrary to what so many bad reviews
    say, it's not a pay for win game at all, nor arena is a pay to play. Of course you start with few cards only but with some patience you can build competitive decks without spending money at all, other than that you can find on Internet a lot of lists of "budget decks", perfect for who has just started; it's a COLLECTIBLE card game and you can't expect to start having all the cards from the beginning! Speaking about the arena: I think that a lot of reviewers are just whiners, when I started I had difficulty in the arena too but once you get used to it, maybe reading some guides, you can gain a lot from it, and accelerate the collection of cards pretty well. Expand
  39. Aug 11, 2014
    This game starts really entertaining, you go against AI to win some of the class cards which makes it exciting for a while.

It all goes to hell when you start playing in the Arena and Ranked, this game is about buying cards and using the same retarded unbalanced cards/ hero class.

Got to admit the Voice , sounds , animations are really fancy and enjoyable, but it is nothing more than that.
  40. Aug 11, 2014
    Insanely amusing. I wasn't sure about it but after I tried I became obsessed by it. What a talent! to build such a Great solid game. And it's gonna be much better by DLCs and updates. And a free for all. I wanna kiss everyone in Blizzard company.
  41. Aug 3, 2014
    Hearthstone heroes of warcraft is a another money grabber game made by brazilian the same compney that make World of Warcraft owned by soney

The reson why Hearthstone heroes of warcraft is a money grabber game as it is free to play but you will only be able to get to a minimum level as the card in the game are reged & designed to get you to buy card pack for money a bit like a lot of
    other games that soney mkes, So if you are not willing to spend any of your money on the game then do not expte to get any hi then lev 20, It quite funny that lev 20 seem to be the stoping piont in the game just like World of Warcraft, so if you do enjoy playing card games i guess it ok but the game is not as free as u wood think Expand
  42. Aug 2, 2014
    Another prime example of the nowadays popular f2p p2w model. Prepare to be disappointed if you want to have fun without spending a penny. Most of your opponents will be players who pay a lot, and that means a HUGE advantage against the non-paying gamers. Skip this game if you want to avoid a headache.
  43. Aug 1, 2014
    Fairly simple, extremely fun, and complex in its own way. People say its pay to win, but seriously its not. Yes, legendaries tend to be unfair against players who do not have them, i agree. But, its not like they can dominate the game alone. The designers made it so that EVERY class has some sort of removal. Ex, Rogue with assassinate, hunter with hunter's mark, pally with its equality- consecrate combo, and so on! Really, hearthstone isn't pay to win if you think about it. Moreover, its a 1/15 chance getting a legendary, so its not like everyone who pays money for packs is getting AMAZING GAMECHANGING CARDS!

Finally, onto the gameplay. Hearthstone is basically a simpler, online version of Magic, with it being better in some ways, and worst in others. Playing the game actually requires some thinking, strategy, and actual dedication to the game. You may have an amazing deck, you still need to know how to play it, especially versus other classes. However, learning how to play the game is extremely easy.
  44. Aug 1, 2014
    Do you enjoy being forced to grind for upwards of 2000 hours before you're allowed to play a game?
    Having every single match be decided on a dice roll regardless of your choices?
    Seeing the same 5 identical decks game after game after game for months at a time?

If so, Hearthstone is just the game for you!
  45. Aug 1, 2014
    Terrible game, terrible support, pay to win. That's all what you must know about this game. I don't wanna blame Blizzard, but this is the worst game from them.
  46. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is a well done and expansive virtual CCG. Unfortunately there are some aspects that suck including not being able to trade cards, pay 2 play model, and lack of creativity in deck creation. However this is the best online TCG today; and will likely be in the future as Blizzard continues to expand the game. With 9 unique classes from the "Warcraft" universe this adds a unique way to play the CCG. For being relatively new the game is fairly balanced in time it will be even better as they patch and perfect it. I like the new expansion as it adds single player that is very difficult. I played Pokemon and Magic back in the day. Both solid TCG... but Blizzard released a great product here that allows players to be ranked competitively. To those people that say the skill ceiling is low and it is only P2P they are wrong... as they would clearly know if they spent more than 10 hours on the game. Expand
  47. Jul 30, 2014
    Hearthstone is a great experience for someone who enjoys the Warcraft universe. It really is a casual way to get yourself into the universe, if WoW feels too heavy. The sound engineering is fantastic, the graphics are light and fun, and the game play is engaging.

They recently released Curse of Naxxramas, which to me was fun, but slightly underwhelming, which is why I gave it a 9
    instead of a 10.

Overall, it's a great game, and worth giving a shot. I've built probably 4 or 5 decks for my Pally, and finally come across a deck that works for my play style. A game that is that flexible and contains that amount of depth deserves a look or two.
  48. Jul 29, 2014
    Lol at all these 0 reviews....

I'll address some of these points first. One, HS is a pay to win game (because you need cards to play well; but they do give you some free cards) because its a card game. All card games are pay to play MTG, Yu-gi-oh, etc... etc... You buy cards for all of them. I can't actually think of a better way to say it though, since its not p2w and its not really
    pay to play either.....

Two, I agree with those who dislike the power that legendaries and epic cards have. If any HS person here can name me a card that can efficiently trade with the dragons then I'll concede this point. However, at the time of writing, there are no vanilla cards that are as powerful as the above. While people who do have the above are at an advantage, HS is in no way a p2w game as evidenced by one of, if not, the strongest decks in game being free.

Three, RNG sucks but HS is a game of percentages. Its not about how many individual games you win but how high your win ratio is. So, yeah, RNGesus sucks.

I gave HS a 6 because the music and design (not game design) is pretty good. I believe that there's plenty of room for growth and that the devs really need to capitalize on this.

Arena is fun as hell to play. and those saying that ~50 gold a day is hard to get are treating the game way to seriously. Its something you play in between LoL or DotA matches.. Hell I've got 4k saved up right now and I only play 2x a week.
  49. Jul 29, 2014
    Before posting my review, I read dozens of other user-submitted reviews and felt that the majority of those who gave Hearthstone ridiculously low ratings either did not have enough time to practice the game, had a negative view of the game because they had trouble winning, or simply disliked the game due to the lack of violence, intense action or a gripping, movie-like storyline. My counter to these views, to be frank, is to remember that this is a strategic card game that is based off of the Warcraft series. I understand that this genre does not have the same appeal as violent or action-packed games, but if you play with an open mind, practice different strategies, experiment with hundreds of thousands of possible card combinations, and learn from your mistakes, you will find Hearthstone to be a very deep and creative gameplay experience that is complex enough to be extremely entertaining, while also being simple enough for those who practice to win. All of the angry reviews that say that you have to pay to win in Hearthstone are the biased opinions of those who do not have the patience to practice getting better and do not have the money to satisfy their impatience. Even when I had only played Hearthstone for one or two months of somewhat regular gameplay I could easily win the majority of my matches in casual mode and more than half of the matches in ranked mode with a deck full of basic (free, given) cards. For those people who complain that Hearthstone isn't deep because of its lack of a storyline, I would recommend that they try out any of the Warcraft games or World of Warcraft to satisfy their desire for a deep, detailed and engrossing fantasy storyline. All of the cards and characters in Hearthstone are directly taken from those games, after all. I think that the biggest problem that angry Hearthstone reviewers are experiencing is that they do not play Hearthstone with an open mind. I understand that different people have different opinions, but the fact that there are so many uninformed and, quite frankly, untrue complaints about Hearthstone, I feel that it does the game justice to urge more people to play the game without any untrue beliefs, and to form an informed opinion of the game based on actual gameplay. Expand
  50. Jul 28, 2014
    on the surface hearthstone looks like another card game like yu-gi-oh but it is very different . unlike blizzards other games hearthstone is free to play , the user is given the option to pay money to buy and open packs to get more cards but you get the currency by completing challenges and every time you level up one of the playable characters you get some card too . hearthstone is in no way pay to win , though people who do pay might have a slight advantage if you use a good enough strategy you can beat just about anybody. Expand
  51. Jul 26, 2014
    It's a nice game, payment model makes it very frustrating, it's indeed P2W. But once you get enough gold to purchase arena access. That one is fun. It's fun limited to minimum of 3 plays every 2 days or more depending on success in the arena. So play it casually, just do dailies and arenas and you should have some fun.
  52. Jul 24, 2014
    It's nicely polished card game and can be extremely fun due to ridiculous combo plays and godlike RNG. However there are some issues with this game:

1) Business model - it may look like a fair f2p game, but believe me, soon you will see how long it takes to get all the cards you need to play at competitive level. If you are beginner it's just p2w game. Until you learn how to play you
    will lack gold for arena and lack cards for ranked games.

I'd rather pay set amount of money for the game and have equal conditions right from the start. It kinda works that way with recent expansion, but hey, if you are new, you still need those vanilla cards.

2) Only two game modes - arena and ranked (well there is casual normal mode but it's just regular 1vs1 with no incentive to play it).

3) Ranked system is kind off dull and too simplistic. You either get a star or loose a star - to climb or fall in ranks. What's more, there are only few decks with obviously specific legendary (or high rarity cards) that really work in higher ranks, so in the end - you face same decks over and over. So wins the one with better RNG, or one whose deck works better against opponents deck. After a while it becomes very tedious.

4) Lack of skill needed. You learn how the game works and what "abilities" cards have, you learn what cards can be played at which turn (just in case to play around) and pretty much it. Then it's all about better card draw.

5) Unbalanced cards. There are some insanely overpowered cards with insane value (absolute must have cards) and there are some ridiculous one trick pony combos. You can simply beat your opponent in 1 turn down from full HP.

Overall it lacks some more depth, more strategic aspect and more game modes.

Sure you can check it out for free and it's more than enough to see yourself if this game and business model suits you. But for sure, if you consider to play it at competitive level, prepare for long grind of card packs or prepare to shake you wallet.
  53. Jul 23, 2014
    Graphics are nice, but the game itself is pay to win at its worst. Add to that how incredibly imbalanced the game is along with many, many bugs, and you have a huge waste of time. If they bothered to balance the game and simply gave us a game that we could purchase instead of being nickle and dime'd, there might be potential.
  54. Jul 22, 2014
    First off, all card games are "pay-to-win" but in Hearthstone you can choose to work for in-game gold, or buy boosters like you normally would. The curve is totally your choice, and you will always get matched with someone to similar skill in ranked or casual.

The single player is now even better than it already was, with challenging new modes and boss characters that warrant free cards
    upon defeating them! I haven't put one penny of my own money into this game and I'm having great balanced card games almost every single time.

Haters will hate, but I'll keep slinging cards.
  55. Jul 20, 2014
    Fun casual game. Just sad that they made it possible to buy cards for real money.

Pros:

- Fun card game
    - Free 2 play
    - Warcraft universe

Cons

- You can pay to get more cards
    - DLC's cost a hell of alot to buy (But they can be bought with in-game gold, will just take alot of time to get)
    - Gets boring after a while
  56. Jul 20, 2014
    Terrible balance, and connection issues in iPad version.

The game is deceptively expensive, and insanely boring!

The in-game transaction is expensive, 2 dollars per card pack which only has 5 cards. And chance of getting epic or legendary cards is smaller than being hit by lightening. And after a while, you will get common cards that you already have. So don't waste I your money in
    this game buying card packs. Arena entry is another money robber, for 2 dollars you get to play the arena game with random cards. This is all depends on luck, someone will get nice cards in their decks, some one will get all useless cards. Balance takes a small role, luck rules all.

The balance in this game is terrible, because the designers are on ok lazy that they create a lot of cards with random effects. For those who has played a lot or has spent lots of money buying cards, they can form a deck with all epic or legendary. New players will be crushed. Thus there is no fun for new players. Because the game is so imbalanced, now only a few certain decks almost wins all the time, and most old players only play those decks to win. There is no diversity and no fun.

If you are new, STAY AWAY from this game, don't waste your time and money.
  57. Jul 17, 2014
    By far one of the worst TCG out F2P is jip if you want to get ahead of Zoo stomps or 4 card focus decks your going to have to pay to get it painlessly then do the same as everyone else, for people talking about diveristy of the decks yes lots of cards but most are just rehash fillers with little meaning behind them just more fodder for your mindless clicking, the map is about as shallow as the real card selection but it comes with a few click animations that really pads out the life of this game as you spam click the barracks door or the troll icon or spam you emotes at the enemy. Expand
  58. Jul 17, 2014
    A tremendous base game with the price of 0 dollars, it's of course worth playing. This game is addictive, fun and competitive. There are two main problems with it, but the game is free so it's not like they should keep you away from trying it.

The game is very empty. There are very few cards and even less that actually matter. Playing well means playing one of two decks at most for a
    class, and if you are a fan of Priests or Warriors, just not playing the class at all.

Updates. This game does not update. Getting bored? Guess the game is over, because don't expect new cards more than once every year, and even then it's a very small amount. Also, if the game has bugs, gameplay issues or anything, do no expect an update. It is a free game after all.
  59. Jul 16, 2014
    Good Game. But it as the limit of a pay to win with to optimized deck. Really strategic and fun just need a little adjustment on some deck that change the game flow and kill hero in one turn with 3 card. Arena mode that prevent the player to have a far too optimized deck is really fun. The game is really focused on draw control not being a bad thing but can really be a pain when on a total unlucky game. Expand
  60. Jul 14, 2014
    Great little card game, needs way more frequent updates and new cards from Blizzard though because as is you will get burned out fast seeing the same cards and decks over and over.
  61. Jul 13, 2014
    If you like Magic The Gathering, then you will like this game. I don't mean this in a good way. In fact, I think it is worse than MtG. Both games have the problem that if you are willing to spend a pile of cash, then you can be sure to have the cards to build an over powered deck full of rare cards that will ensure a win. What makes this worse than MtG is that Hearthstone is run by a computer which sets up players against each other. So, the computer should be able to look at my deck and see that I am a casual player with very few overpowered cards and set me up against a player with the same level of deck. Instead, I am often put up against someone who has obviously spent a lot of money and now has a stack of rare cards in his deck.

After a while, the constant beat down stops being fun and I stop playing. Though this game is free, there is no incentive for me to buy cards, which may not even fit the class that I want to play, for a game that I am not enjoying. Unistalled.
  62. Jul 11, 2014
    Hearthstone is good fun for a while (2-3 weeks) and then you realize heartstone is more pay2play then pay2win. Its also a good amount pay2win allthough u can do good with relativly free decks.
    So after the first 2 weeks where u get a good amount of bonus cards from different beginner quests you have finally enough cards and gold to build your first ladder deck.

So now is where it
    starts....
    U can either build a cheap Aggro hunter deck , a cheap Zoolock deck or a cheap midrange Shaman deck.
    From those 3 decks Zoolock is by far the most effective but also most boring.

Thats why the ladder is full and overcrowded by Zoolocks .... Everybody complains about stupid no brainer Zoolocks in Ladder ... but well Its the only Deck u have Gold for as a "new" player !
    You can either play any hero you want using Basic cards and getting crushed every game or play Hunter/midrange Shaman or Zoo
    Thats your realistic choices

Id love to play a Warrior, a Handlock or a Paladin ! But the game doesnt allow me since the cards absolutely necessary for these decks cost insane amount of dust which u can either get by playing 100rds of hours or Spending $$$

Just to make it clear ..... a good Handlock,Paladin,Warrior or most of the other good decks start at 6000Dust ! You earn an average of ~ 50dust per hour playing heartstone ... this means u need to play/grind at least 120h stupid zoo ! to even be able to build 1 single competetive deck that isnt Zoo,Aggro Hunter or Midrange Shaman.

Or instead of stupidly grinding 120h you can pay money in the blizzard shop !
    U need about 80card packs to have a somehow realtsic chance for enough dust/lucky drops to build good deck.... 80card packs equals the price of ---------- 100$ !--------------

I did play Heartstone for 85h and additionally payed 19,99$ for 15card packs just due to the fact that i think a game is worth 20bucks...that i would have spent anyway if it wasnt free to play :)
    I just managed to create my first decent handlock deck.

So now i can play Handlock and Zoo ......

I am still miles away from having enough dust for a decent Warrior or a Miracle Rouge Deck.
    and it wil take either and endless grind to build those or i have to pay more money.

85h of play 19,99$ spent and i can only access about 20-30% of the content ?

No thank you
    I deinstalled it yesterday
  63. Jul 9, 2014
    Its not F2P its P2W, why doesn't blizzard add a button that says "WIN, costs $5" it would save time...
    oh yeah, if any blizzard employee is reading, suggest to your boss to buy a trade mark for PAY TO WIN (P2W), you will get a raise and probably a promotion too!
  64. Jul 7, 2014
    Played this a whole bunch in the early betas and boy was it fun.. Until I got a taste of the arena. Priest after priest after priest of people abusing some seriously broken and overpowered builds. Waited a while for them to patch it and they did. But then another class got overpowered, then nerfed, then another class... And so on.

It's the exact same f*cking rubbish people have been
    putting up for over 8+ years now in Wow where they can't reach a balanced consensus and instead resort to just mixing everything up randomly every other week and If they are already doing this in the beta and onto the release.. Well, that Isn't a good sign as far as creative thinking goes.

Give this game a try and If they still haven't fixed the overpowered builds, stop playing and start praying for them to not also screw up Heroes of the Storm.
  65. Jul 7, 2014
    Cant say that I hate it, cant say that I crave to play either. But hey it's free so give it a try and see it for your self, personally I enjoyed it for 2-3 hours.
  66. Jul 4, 2014
    I love how many ignorant reviewers say that this game is pay 2 win, it isn't. You can buy packs for in game currency sure if you grind for them without quest then it is really hard to get the packs but if you play at least 2-5 matches a day (depending on the quest) you can get at least 3-5 packs a week which is enough for a free to play player to feel satisfied. Of course the people who pay for the packs are gonna get them quicker but if you know how to play it wont matter if they have a deck filled with 5 or more legendaries you can still beat them. You just have to try so you can get better at the game or learn the way i learnt the game - watch streams and videos of better players playing and see what kind of decisions they make against other players. All in all the game is fun and can get addictive if you are trying to get all the card or get to high legend in ranked play, it does have some balancing issues because some cards are better than others but that happens in every game. Expand
  67. Jun 26, 2014
    This is a great game... at first. It has beautiful artwork and graphical flair. There's definitely a depth of strategy to figure out. The sounds are hilarious for anyone familiar with WoW.
    But eventually, you'll realize you're getting destroyed by people with a deck full of epic and legendary cards. In other words, it's a free-to-play, pay-to-win game.
  68. Jun 25, 2014
    The design of only best out of 1 when randomly paired along with the large competitive focus of ranked play (due to there being only a loss in resources and a huge feel of grindiness while winning) results in a feeling of resentment for my opponents.
  69. Jun 24, 2014
    Completely uneven gameplay, elite cards that you BUY with CASH MONEY are completely unbalanced and beyond what you earn in basic play. Once one of these 'elite' cards is put into play at any point in the game it is over, and no amount of skill or luck will save you. Since card draws are random, you can't even strategize a way around them.
  70. Jun 21, 2014
    I never thought I'd get into a card game but this ones growing on me every time I play. I cant speak on the competitive side of this game because I'm a complete noob to this genre of game but its certainly fun and strangely addicting!
  71. Jun 20, 2014
    Öncelikle oyun çok iyi.İlk baştaki dengesizlik sonraki güncellemeler ile düzeldi.Oyuna ilk başladığınızda "Şu sınıf karşıma çıkarsa kaybederim" şeklinde düşünebiliyorsunuz ancak ilerlediğinizde yeni kartlar açıp taktiğinizi oluşturduğunuzda bu düşünce ortadan kalkıyor...
    Oyun negatif yanları şunlar
    Kart Sayısı(Yaklaşık 300 küsür var ancak az geliyır)
    Masa şekilleri (Sadece 2 masa şekli
    var)
    Soundtrack eksikliği

Bunlar pek sorun değil aslında...İlerde düzeltiebilicek şeyler...Kısaca direk oyuna BAŞLAYIN!
  72. Jun 19, 2014
    Although this game is a fun game i would really like to get into. It is also a game which is not friendly to new players. There is a sort of tutorial, which includes 6 missions however they never actually teach you the mechanics of the game and the last missions is a pain to even try and finish.

At this point you may think it's okay i'll just go play against AI or even online against
    people my level.
    This however is not the case. The majority of the ai is pretty easy to defeat, except for the warrior which requires one of two things. Luck, or skill. This is painful because of the fact that the game has not yet taught you the skill you need to defeat this opponent.

After getting tired of this AI, i though "Maybe going online against people my level is easier." However after loosing almost 10 games in a row, i thought maybe not. And i don't mean to say they just beat me by inches. I mean to say if i had done any worse i think i would have reported the game for a bug where i lose 30 hp at the end of the third round.

Another problem i had with the game is that although the people online were my level, almost all of them had cards i'd only seen in popular Hearthstone videos " e.g. Baumi or Blitz" It's at this point where i realized they had payed for these special cards which i had to access to as a free to play player.

To summarize this game has some really fun features and is very entertaining, but its lack of noob friendly setting and pay to win features mean its very frustrating to play, and overall its just another Blizzard pay to win which feels as if an indie developer would have done better.
  73. Jun 19, 2014
  74. Jun 19, 2014
    Very good game. Everything "game-y" is great and it has high production values.
    But for some reason I am getting "matched" with people with several legendaries, combo decks that kill me in a minute. I bought about 14 packs for real money. I got several legenadaries, epics and rares.
    I have build a deck that "ran" from rank 20 to rank 17 without losing. Again I am getting matched with
    people who obviously paid way more for cards, with cards that cost INSANE amounts of dust they had to buy them.
    Also, WHAT THE **** is Arena ? Paying real money ? *sigh*
  75. Jun 17, 2014
    I've never been one for card games, the learning curve always seemed very high, however hearthstone holds your hand enough to get some enjoyment out of the game, and before you know it you are figuring out good combos by yourself and having fun. The visual feedback is remarkably well done, but not over done and it is kindof calming.
  76. Jun 15, 2014
    Pay to win, pure and simple. The "Arena" game mode isn't pay to win, but has such a ridiculously high entry cost that it takes around 10 hours of playing constructed to play a single Arena run.
  77. Jun 15, 2014
    I feel this game is Pay to win. If you don't have the right legendary cards, it's very hard to get enough wins to progress, so grinding is a very frustrating option. Uninstalled.
  78. Jun 12, 2014
    A phenomenal free to play card game. I would advise most to disregard the complaints of it being "pay to win" as I've only ever spent 10$ and have achieved Legend Rank (the highest Constructed Rank) once and sub 3 in the other seasons. It is by far the cheapest and most satisfying card game I've played. If you become even slightly good at the game you can actually profit unlimited gold in Arena while supplying yourself unlimited game play. At the absolute very least this game is worth the download for anyone remotely interested in card games. Expand
  79. Jun 10, 2014
    I'm going to keep this review short and straight to the point:
    -Graphics/Animation 8.5-Pretty good for a card game. The animations are smooth,nothing special or out of the ordinary, but ok,maybe even going to great.
    -Story / -I can't say anything about the story because I believe that in this particular card game, the story isn't even a main focus, so no score here.
    -Gameplay 7.5 -I
    don't have anything against the gameplay, in fact it seems to be pretty decent, however, the pay to win aspect has to be taken into consideration because a lot of people don't like it when games seem to be milking money from them, so the score has to go down. Apart from that, the gameplay seems to be decent, far from perfect, but decent.
    -Characters / -Again, this card game doesn't focus on any particular characters, so no score here.
    Music and Sound fx 6 -While the sound fx are ok,the music really isn't. It doesn't suit the genre, it's not utilized very well and I really have to take out a few points here.
    In the end, (8.5+7.5+6)/3 is somewhere around 7.1, and that's the score this game gets from me.
  80. Jun 9, 2014
    Hearthstone is a decent CCG, and the game can be a good pickup if you are willing to put large amounts of time into it. For all the people claiming the game is pay to win, it is and it isn't You can do decently in both constructed and ranked with decks using only basic cards. And some of the strongest cards, like the chill wind yeti, a free and accessible from the beginning of the game. Though the Epic and Legendary cards you can get from spending lots of money are quite strong, i'd argue its more grind to win than pay to win
    However, if you intend to play this game more than causally, you may and up frustrated. The biggest issue hearthstone has is that 90% of the game is based on RNG. You can have all the best cards in you deck and still lose flat out because of a bad draw. Due to this, most of the stronger cards are merely based on card draw. Most of the time, the game will come down to who can draw the better card first, making the game frustrating, especially in situations where it appears you would have won.
    TLDR; Hearthstone isn't Pay to win, its flip a coin and hope you win. While a couple of games or arena runs here and there can be entertaining, but becoming dedicated to it will likely leave you frustrated
  81. Jun 9, 2014
    While a bit repetitive and annoyed me with some bugs during game play, the game certainly has a Warcraft tone to it, from making me rage since I lost a match or just making me laugh out loud, It was worth the play. It could have been better by adding more of a story, but overall, I'm glad I installed it onto my PC.
  82. Jun 9, 2014
    A pretty fun little card game. The various classes can make for wildly varying experiences and there are many different decks that can be successful, at least on the entry level where I play. The limited chat (really just emotes) means you don't have to watch people talk nonsense in the chat, and most players seem to act somewhat civil.

I would have liked to see some form of single
    player adventure mode, like in the Magic game that Microprose made around the late 90s, but Hearthstone is pretty good the way it is. Expand
  83. Jun 8, 2014
    Although the game has potential, it is ruined by the repulsive business model. It's pay to win (constructed) or pay to play (arena), otherwise your options are to grind endlessly for ridiculously low gold rewards (3.3 gold for a win), or limit playing and wait for the daily quests. The daily quests provide more gold, but they're only once a day and a 40 gold quest is the most common quest by far.

The arena is the most fun game mode, but it's expensive to play and too random and luck based (depending on the cards you get draft from). Also, you can get ridiculous streaks like playing several times in a row against the same class and taking the second turn. The arena rewards have also been downgraded. It's very possible get crappy cards and dust as rewards even though performing reasonably well in the arena.

Updated observations:

- The overall balance is pretty bad and Blizzard does little to improve things. In arena and constructed certain classes are clearly better than others.
    - There are few truly viable strategies for each class.
    - At the beginning it's possible to play for a while with basic, common and rare cards, but eventually you'll hit the wall without epic and legendary cards.
    - Unless you invest real money, it takes forever to get the good legendary cards.
    - The more you play Hearthstone, the more you feel like it's another Blizzard grinding game.
    - It's a card game, but you cannot trade the cards with your friends. Absurd.
    - After a while it becomes obvious that the game lacks depth.
    - It's 2014 and there's no chat. All you have is six lousy premade emotes.
    - Statistics are practically non-existent, although they would be useful in this kind of game.
    - Certain UI bugs persist patch after patch.
  84. Jun 7, 2014
    This game sucks so much dick, I thought for a second, that I took a wrong turn in an african whore house. I would rather suck off the entire Burning Legion instead of play another round of this **** game, just to get a free mount.

Dear Blizzard, DIAF and I hate you forever for nerfing Shamans in WoW.

GG NO RE.
  85. Jun 7, 2014
    Hearthstone is entertaining, but it lacks the tactical depth of card games like Magic: The Gathering. The game mechanics have been dumbed down to make the games faster and I think that was a bad decision. It also sucks that Blizzard make changes to the cards and don't notify you about it, so suddenly you're wondering why your cards are different. They should mark cards that have been changed in the deck overview. Expand
  86. Jun 7, 2014
    Simple, fun, time vampire, complex, well made, highly entertaining and this from a card game virgin. I cannot fault this game at all and see much future potential. It's something (for me) very different from the usual games I play. Yes there's a shop and yes it's expensive, but no one has to buy anything! As you play you earn in game currency which can be used to buy card packs. If you have the time, it's a simple trade off. There's zero grind as the game is fun to play and you're learning as you go. Oh, and it's FREE to play!!! Expand
  87. Jun 5, 2014
    Overall then it is a great game, I just feel like that you have to be EXTREMLY lucky, to win a match if you don't get good cards at game starts

The game itself has a amazing atsmophere and its just nice to play and just look at, but the overall functionality isn't that great when you played it from some hours (or at least I think so).
  88. Jun 4, 2014
    ok but dumb sometimes. this game be fun for me sometimes but such bollocks other times. to much luck i hate how lucky ppl get against me when i lose. no skill all luck but fun. i dont know
  89. Jun 4, 2014
    At first the game is great, gets you hooked with very addicting gameplay. As you climb the ladder of ranked games with the very meager amount of coins allocated per day. It becomes more and more frustrating playing against the top tier decks with multiple legendary creatures. They are a company that is driven on money yes but it kind of makes the game unplayable unless you invest either massive amounts of time per day to get the 100 gold cap per day plus daily quest.

Or massive amounts of money and test your luck on booster packs.

Overall great gameplay but not for the casual gamer
  90. Jun 4, 2014
    Absolute joke of a game. The game is so based around RNG that the enjoyment factor is completely dependent on your luck.

If you want to play a game where you have no control on how you do in a particular game then this is the perfect game for you!

Not only the RNG ruins this game but the simple minded opponents who take the maximum amount of time to play even if they have 1 card in
    their hand, and the fact that 2 in 3 people you play must have at least spent a load of money on this game to get the best cards in the game, and the fact the major balancing issues where some classes are so under powered compared to others that it should be a crime to hire the developers, and the fact that your opponent always tries to annoy you no matter what the circumstance is, and the fact that the business model in this game is a joke (Where you have to win 30 games (Which can take more than 15 minutes each) to open 1 pack which contains 5 cards), and the fact that nearly everyone makes decks which they see online on a website so the ability to 'craft your own deck' is utterly pointless (Should just be a "browse decks to use" function).

Apart from all of these points it's an amazing game!
  91. Jun 4, 2014
    Ich liebe Hearthstone und habe es schon auf dem Notebook gesuchtet. Nun gibt es mein lieblings Kartenspiel endlich auf dem Ipad ! Ich kann es jedem empfehlen der das Blizzard universum mag und spaß mit coolen Animationen haben will. Einziger manko -> ab und zu gibt es disconnects, daher -1 Star
  92. Jun 4, 2014
    I give it a 5 rating after on going playing. Fun. Addictive. Nice touch of refreshing us with playing cards. The quest feature you earn is once a day, I do like that as well.

Now let's get into the ugly.
    Bad chances. This game is off luck at the close ends of the straw. Whoever Hearthstone favors will win if it's coming down to the close matchup. Lets say you have 15 life left and your
    poor foe has 9. Chances are he's going to get lucky with a few more rounds before it's over. They made that flaw into this card game. I don't care about the real money. I don't like how the game can overturn in a few rounds because they build a system into the mathematics. Come on! give me a break blizzard. Expand
  93. Jun 3, 2014
    It is fun. Simple old fun. Don't get too attached to it, though. If you play ranked and are on a winning streak but then get a bad card combo, you are gonna cry.
    I won't complain about the pay-to-win model, as Blizzard's gotta make moneys, right? How else will they support the game or provide new content and expansions? Moreover, getting new cards doesn't need that much grinding. You just
    have to finish daily quests for which you get in-game currency which you can use to buy cards. This way you learn plus you earn XP. Crafting mode is also there.
    Only thing is, Anduin (priest) is too darn annoying!
  94. Jun 1, 2014
    Ok, given the ridiculously high 'critic review' score, I *have* to review this one. I dutifully played this with my son - and it's painfully bad. I cannot imagine who anyone could give it more than 5, if they were in a generous mood.

First, you have a weirdly limited set of cards (which you can buy with real money, basically - that's nothing new, but let's not say Blizzard is above
    micro-transactions anymore, please) You have the potential for class strategy, which is undercut by the limited nature of the game mechanics.

It's a lesser Magic/ Yu-Gi-Oh, without the strategy & fun. I guess it's there to be simple & mindless, and it's dependent on PvP. You can't play against friends (for progress - you can for - no good reason)

It's just annoying to see critics lauding something that *really* doesn't deserve it.
  95. Jun 1, 2014
    The over simplified mechanic doesn't do it for me I'm a great magic and yugioh fan I played quite some heartstone, and I just don't feel it's as good the higher tier cardgames I know a lot of people will disagree and I'm fine with that This is my humble opnion, If you like simple card games or want to pick up a cardgame to start off with this is certainly a great game. Maybe if there are a ton of new cards and abilities I'll concider picking it up again Expand
  96. May 31, 2014
    Interesting game, but sadly it's pay to win unless you want to grind for a million years :) If it wasn't for pay 2 win I think this game would have a lot of potential...
  97. May 30, 2014
    Hearthstone is hardly a flawless card game, but it is not nearly as bad as the sore losers here try to make it sound. Yes it has a terrible reliance on RNG, but it is nowhere near as bad as MTG. MTG is a lot more creative and aged with higher fantasy elements, but it also makes you rely on chance when it comes to your resource (mana). Both games have numerous examples of topdecks being the turning point in high level play and both games require you to pay substantial money to stay relevant in the meta. Trump might get to legend with a free mage deck but hardly anyone else can, nearly all of the legend rank players have decks with legendary cards. However more legendary cards do not make you a better player. A lot of decks only use 1-3 legendaries, because cards like Sylvanas/Cairne are typically used on an either/or basis. The meta is flexible in that you can replace many legendary cards with another if you don't happen to own it.

I really want to address the claim that arena is pay to win. That is 100% absolutely wrong. That is not what pay to win means. Technically any game except completely free games are pay to win on that regard, because you have to pay in order to play them. Theoretically you could NEVER pay for a single arena game in HS, because your first arena deck is on the house. If you were to reach 8~ish wins or more, you'd have enough gold from rewards to cover your next draft deck. Any seasoned MTG limited player can dive head first into HS arena play and dominate. It's straightforward with familiar mechanics and fundamental strategies: importance of mana curves, aggro/control spectrum, tempo, card advantage, etc. The only legitimate complaint about arena is how AOE spells are not consistent across all classes. In arena mass removal is a HUGE tempo swing and frequent game-decider and some classes (rogue, priest, paladin) have fairly weak mass removal and are entirely reliant on getting it to perform well.

I think HS will be a lot more fun when more sets come out, because I think we're all getting tired of the same old cards. When the playing field diversifies and the meta gets more robust (*cross fingers*) then it won't get as stale as it seems to currently. It's still a good release for me, but it does get old with just the same old cards.
  98. May 29, 2014
    Very poorly excuted, graphics for warcraft 1 maybe or some facebook games... very slow game play, for a fight you have to wait for the animation... Game mechanics is shallow and no creativity like other card games. Putting Heroes of warcraft title to draw the crowds no creative work like in other Blizzard titles. Pay 2 win like all of card games... nothing new. Don't bother yourself with this game. unless you like the graphics and want to play any crap game have a warcraft name in it ... your choice... free to play but its pure pay 2 win and pay to enjoy...

1 point only for the audio...
  99. May 29, 2014
    Must play type of game. Very addictive and fun.
    But it has a problem, sometimes lucky players win and not smart and skilled ones, that downgrades the need of a sharp mind and actual skill.
  100. May 29, 2014
    Hearthstone is absolutely wonderful. You can either be in a very fast paced game with a lot of attacking, Or you could be in a very defensive game where a lot of health cards and taunt cards are played. Its also about the strategies and the good thing about Hearthstone is that it allows you to use all the class that are available and all the class have their strengths and weakness. It all comes down to your strategies and how you use your good cards and how you use your not so good ones. Expand
  101. Mar 16, 2014
    Critics give it way too much praise. Most (good) decks are composed of about 90-95% of the same cards (excluding class cards, which are the same among the decks of those classes), so every match comes down to "who drew what first". I know most card games use luck as a factor, but skill can usually overcome that. In this game, no such level of complexity exists. Decks are too small, no way to counterattack unless you're one of the few classes with Secrets (trap cards), it's a total crapshoot! If you enjoy games of little to no skill in a fun, casual, Warcraft theme, then this is definitely for you.

Aside from giving the gameplay an absolute 0, the sound effects, music, graphics, and overall theme, however, are very delightful. For the few months that I played, it was definitely fun, until I realized how luck was everything. Still, outside of the gameplay, it's pleasant, but sadly, games without good gameplay get scores such as these, if not worse. If it ever comes to smartphones (and not just the iPad), I'd vote it a 6 or 7 as a Mobile game, but for a PC game, it doesn't deserve the ridiculous praise people are giving it.

1. Jul 6, 2014
    When Blizzard announced they were making a digital CCG, we all expected it to look and sound beautiful, and there was little doubt that it would be well-balanced, but I don’t think anyone anticipated this level of sophistication and subtle brilliance.
  2. Jun 28, 2014
    Simple rules, high production values, low system requirements and huge tactical freedom make Hearthstone one of the best card games available. And if you take into account the free-to-play model – it’s the best one. [05/2014, p.62]
  3. Jun 7, 2014
    A fine example of a great free-to-play game. Hearthstone is not only an addictive and well designed card game, but absolutely fair with gamers that do not wish to spend money on it.