• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: May 23, 2006
7.8

1. Jan 4, 2011
    The good: Good graphics, good music, good gameplay. The bad: combat is a bit flat, it's easy to tell which side will win just by looking at the armies on both sides.
  2. Jan 26, 2012
    The six is all sorts of hard SEXY points for gameplay. By "hard" and "sexy" I mean if you could not stop playing heroes 3, you will probably not stop playing this game. It is heroes 3 in 3d for the most part. The game play takes a step back from Heroes 4, gives you that good ol' heroes of might and magic army crawlin' resource gathering nonsense that we all love. The points it loses is for style. Almost always I care more about game play but this time around everything heroes V has in substance it lacks in style. One of the things I loved about the earlier heroes games IV not excluded was the stupid little crap they threw in to flesh the world out. Remember collecting a campfire and having to click out of that annoying box that told the little story about you ransacking a bandit camp? Or how about going to the witches hut and hearing that she taught you a skill for her own inscrutable purpose? All of it gone. You collect an item, or walk across what is for all intents and purposes an in game event leaves you with a floating popup around your character telling you that you have +5 ore or +1 luck or -2 moral. No story, no reason, just a floaty fading number. I'm not eloquent or descriptive enough to give enough justice to how much this kills the atmosphere of a game. Watch a you tube video. The charm is gone, the art style looks like a turn based WoW. The music is still pretty and the game play is solid as hell. No heart though. I have no skills to make a game of any kind but I'll still bash ubisoft for sucking the life out of it. To be fare i have 106 hours logged on steam. Expand
  3. Sep 10, 2011
    An utter dissapointment to the Heroes of Might and Magic series. IV wasn't that great, but at least is was good enough to make you keep playing. This is slow, ugly, and boring. Do not buy.
  4. Jan 12, 2013
    Really tedious game with very little strategy and ridiculously strong and unbalanced AI even on easy level. Pretty graphics is the only thing going for it. Exercise in frustration - stay away!
  5. Mar 2, 2013
    There has been almost no innovation since 3, seems like 90% of the units are identical, even though this is 2 games farther on in the series. I don't think the developers actually understand their own game, it's extremely unbalanced and trivially easy. Stick to King's Bounty.
  6. Dec 19, 2011
    A resounding "Meh". I started on hard difficulty and found everything to be pretty damn easy until the last mission of the first (Haven) campaign which was damn near impossible. The strategic elements end up being a little too repetitive, the combat doesn't have enough flexibility for any real strategy, it's just a "throw all my guys at your guys" war of attrition and there are perhaps too many little interactable elements on the map whose bonuses are not particularly helpful. I't worth the five bucks I paid for it on Impulse, but I don't know if I'm even going to finish the single-player campaigns. Expand
  7. Jun 2, 2011
    I would have rated this game higher if I had given up on it earlier. It was far too long, too hard on easy to be a background or relaxing game, and not engaging or interesting enough to be something I really wanted to get into. The graphics are good, and the music would be nice, but the game goes on too long, so even the music gets repetitive. The cut-scenes were fine, but not worth the time you had already put into the game. Don't bother with it. Expand
  8. Feb 17, 2012
    I tried to play this game but I can't. I don't know what's wrong really, but I just don't enjoy playing it. Maybe because Im a big fan of HOMM 2 & 3. I don't like the graphics. It's really messy, not harmonious, and broke the gameplay because it mess with your visibility. The game feels really "heavy". Even with a gaming computer, its not fluid. Musics aren't great. Races aren't have great identity. Castles are messy, there is too many useless buildings. 5 or 6 maps at the release and no editor, that was a pure joke!! (Thank god there is a map generator now). On the good side, there is a lot of content (skills, spells, artifacts, etc). The combat system is an improvement (initiative). Overall a big disappointment, the franchise just lost its magic and fantasy... Expand
  9. Oct 22, 2013
    The rights were sold to Ubisoft, who dropped the ball completely.

The game is full of bugs, the graphics are jarringly ugly, with a nonsensical camera and bad animations.

Gameplay is dumbed down. Nothing about the game is interesting or engaging.

It makes me sick to see the HoMM title on such a trashy product.
  10. Oct 30, 2013
    I am a huge fun of HoMM series. From the first one to the six. This one is very good, but after 4. campaign I gut stuck on the lust one. This was a something new for me. Too difficult to go through.
    I did not restart the last mission, I guess I got tired of it, and it is getting boring after a few days.
    So I never finish the game. :(
    It does not happens to me never before. So I guess it
    has something in it that makes the game repulsive to me. But I can not say it is disappointing to me. On the contrary. Expand
  11. Jan 20, 2013
    It's 2013 so you can get this game complete with the expansions for cheap. It needs the expansions (particularly tribes from the east) to make it a decent game, but it is a REALLy good version of HoMM after the disaster that was HoMM IV.

I loved HoMM III and played it for hours, but this version has actually made me love the series again. I'm only writing this now as HoMM VI is
    utterly useless so they just can't quite get the formula right every time!

Either way, I think that fans of fantasy games or (like me) fans of turn based strategy games will love this. It's got great graphics, awesome music and plenty of variety to keep you entertained.
  12. May 22, 2012
    I have played all the heroes of might and magic games since Heroes 2 and I ahve to say, this game truly is fun and feels like those games I used to love as a kid. I have had a lot of fun with this game, and its price is really good. I recomend it to anyone, including those hardcore Heroes 3 players :)! Have fun!
  13. Jul 31, 2012
    I should say that I've never played any other game of this franchise before (demo of the first Heroes doesn't count), and I absolutely love this game: its gameplay is addictive, art direction and design are amazing: units, cities and heroes look pretty good if you are not trying to guess of how many polygons each model contains. With the last patch it is the way better balanced game than Heroes VI. Can't say the same about previous games. Expand
  14. Aug 2, 2012
    The new races or factions that you could play in this were quite refreshing because, whilst it still had the good battle system and ideas behind the other HoMM games, there were other things to keep you interested in. They basically kept the bits of the game we liked and added more. The combat can be a little one-way though and it's quite simple, maybe add something besides rocks and fallen trees to the battlefield. A good-game and it's balanced and extra-points for it being able to be played multi-player on a single computer by quite a few people. Expand
  15. Sep 4, 2013
    I absolutely love this game, it looks great, fighting system is awesome, the only reason for not giving it a 10 is because the quests are often sort of the same and because the ultimate skill is nearly impossible to get. I have finished this game several times and I have never succeeded in getting the ultimate skill.
  16. Nov 13, 2012
    This is one of the most addicting games I have ever played. Turn-based RPG, this game will suck your time away. I play it during class when I get bored and find myself looking for more time in the day to finish a game. The downsides to the game are core issues - if you get attacked by someone whose army is dramatically larger than yours, there is literally nothing you can do- you will lose the game. This means that there are rarely any 'close' games. By the end of the game, one player is clearly dominating everyone else. That being said, it is fun to build up your massive army and rofl-stomp everyone else :) Expand
  17. Apr 9, 2013
    In some ways even better legendanoy 3 part series in general a great game that can be safely recommended to all fans and fans of intellectual games.
  18. Aug 8, 2014
    Definitely the best in the series. First one to have actually decent graphics, good storyline and - oh my god, the soundtrack was just amazing! You have more options of leveling up than in previous games, but not as complicated as in HoMM 6. I just love the design of the creatures, and there's enough types in each faction, i think more than in any Heroes game before or after. The combat system is very comfortable, and different unique abilities of factions, heroes and creatures and obstacles located on the battlefield make the battle a very strategic experience. There are lots of maps for multiplayer, with different sizes and layouts, wich enable you to play with your friends or family for months or even years. I wish I could rate it 11/10, but for now I have to end at 10/10. Expand

1. You simply have to have the willingness to learn and give this game a chance. If you do this, you will be rewarded with an amazing strategy experience.
  2. The biggest failing of Heroes V, which you can almost anticipate from its emphasis on looking so good, is that it's stingy with information.
  3. Skeptical Heroes fans, as well as anyone looking for a fun, long-lasting turn-based strategy game, will likely be pleasantly surprised by this one.