7.4

1. Jan 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. HoN is a great game. The graphics help to bring the players into the right mood for a battle between the avatars. The community isn't the best but when you reach a higher mmr/psr the community improves slightly. Everyone who tries the game for the first time usually ends up with noobs as both teammates and opponents. Personal experience tells me that the reason newcomers complain about the community is that they, the newcomers, just ignore the more experienced players when they try to give them an advice in the hero picking phase or so. If you are patient and willing to play for the team rather than for yourself only, the mood for that game will nearly all ways be nice and calm. Expand
  2. Jan 26, 2012
    In this particular genre of games (MOBA) there are three main competitors: Heroes of Newerth (HoN); League of Legends (LoL); and the original, Defense of the Ancients (Dota). All three games have insanely TERRIFYING and rewarding learning curves and on top of that the community of players is nightmarish. Players in this game are ruthless, mean, spiteful, and better than you. These gamesIn this particular genre of games (MOBA) there are three main competitors: Heroes of Newerth (HoN); League of Legends (LoL); and the original, Defense of the Ancients (Dota). All three games have insanely TERRIFYING and rewarding learning curves and on top of that the community of players is nightmarish. Players in this game are ruthless, mean, spiteful, and better than you. These games will absolutely wreck you for the first month of play until you learn every hero, their skills, the map, the items, and the mechanics. When you overcome all of this and get decent with a few heroes so much so that you can actually change the outcome of a game then THIS BECOMES THE ONLY GAME YOU EVER WANT TO PLAY. This whole experience is infinitely easier and more fun if you have a few friends to accompany you throughout. Your friends will help you learn everything quicker, you will be able to be more strategic and communicate with your teammates better, and most importantly your friends will help you keep your chin up and stay positive and take the high road when people with huge e-peens and superiority complexes try to get in your face about the game. I can go on for another 4000 characters about this game but I already think that people won't read this haha. PHENOMENAL GAME, UNBELIEVABLY REWARDING, BETTER THAN THE COMPETITION, AND BUILDS CHARACTER!!! Expand
  3. Jun 10, 2012
    I really love this game. It's so addictive and a lot of fun, with loads of replayability, new heroes and loads of tactics. I love how strategic the game can get but I hate it when you just get in a game full of idiots or feeders or leavers, it ruins the game, also ragers piss me off. So all in all it's brilliant and a lot of fun but it is way too time consuming and there are just someI really love this game. It's so addictive and a lot of fun, with loads of replayability, new heroes and loads of tactics. I love how strategic the game can get but I hate it when you just get in a game full of idiots or feeders or leavers, it ruins the game, also ragers piss me off. So all in all it's brilliant and a lot of fun but it is way too time consuming and there are just some players I wish would die. Collapse
  4. Dec 11, 2011
    Heroes of Newerth is a seriously solid transition from DotA for people that feel it is too old and/or don't like the engine limitations (of hero design, leavers, lag interruptions, lack of features). It adds new heroes as well as total copies from DotA. Originally Heroes of Newerth seemed to be made to be a total clone of DotA to give Dota players the ability to try out a "Dota 2.0" asHeroes of Newerth is a seriously solid transition from DotA for people that feel it is too old and/or don't like the engine limitations (of hero design, leavers, lag interruptions, lack of features). It adds new heroes as well as total copies from DotA. Originally Heroes of Newerth seemed to be made to be a total clone of DotA to give Dota players the ability to try out a "Dota 2.0" as such. At first it was a very promising game to totally wipe out DotA with new important features and engine and graphical enhancements. The gameplay itself is extremely solid and stays true to Dota, but now the gameplay is the only thing it has going for it. Heroes of Newerth is a terribly coded game, graphical issues, crashes, connection problems, servers dropping out, annoying bugs and much more stuff added to just be a pain in the backside. To make things worse, the community sucks, but it isn't the games fault for that, it's more the genre... S2 as a company also is pretty damn ordinary and I get the sense that they always take the factor of adding new stuff to the game, rather than fixing the current stuff that doesn't work (most patches will always have a bug that will not be fixed for a long time, for example, simple things like Herodex sorting and the time until you can unpause is still not fixed). Another thing is, if you compare Icefrog's balance change schedule of Dota, to S2's, it is generally pretty disgusting. A GAME LIKE THIS NEEDS TO BE BALANCED REGULARLY, NOT ONCE EVERY TWO MONTHS! When they do finally decide to balance the game it's usually too few and too minor changes to affect anything (did anyone see how Icefrog balanced the game, he was a freaking beast). To size it up, HoN has good points and many bad points, the gameplay is excellent, everything else is pretty damn ordinary. Still a better game than LoL though. Expand
  5. Jan 1, 2012
    A enjoyable, but extremely difficult game. For someone without prior experience in this genre (never once played DotA), the only reason I kept playing was because my friends were there to introduce all the game concepts to me. Like similar games, the skill ceiling is high. The matchmaking system ensures you won't be matched up against player who are a lot better than you.
    Graphics are
    Graphics are simple, but it looks clean. The game feels responsive, which is of massive importance in this genre. It has a large selection of heroes, with new heroes added every few weeks.
    With the exception of a few heroes and lane combination (although not playing All Pick prevents the last), gameplay is generally balanced and often the only one causing your death will be you.

As mentioned before, though, the community is amongst the worst in the world, so I recommend playing this with as many friends as possible. It's a lot more fun co-operating with friends in general.
  6. Jan 6, 2012
    Been playing this since I quit LoL . It's faster, more gritty, and more satisfying overall. I find the community to be pretty bad however, once you hit 1700 MMR, you'll get **** on for playing ****ty. Nice game till DOTA 2 comes out! (I heard DOTA 2 is slower D: )
  7. May 2, 2012
    The most underrated game in the genre, fast paced, smooth, okay graphics and so on. The reason why the game was dominated by LoL, was because of S2 marketing early on, S2 has been really bad at supporting their own game.
  8. Jun 8, 2012
    A great step up from DOTA! Nice graphics, great game play. Lag is very rare. My only issue is the balancing. Some heroes are very clearly overpowered, while others have been nerfed into the ground.
  9. Apr 26, 2013
    Love the game, the community is harsh. Great graphics, great f2p game, i've logged over 1400 matches and still come back and back and back to play with friends or solo play
  10. Feb 9, 2014
    Heroes of Newerth is a free Dota clone with many different heroes. I created an account specifically to create a review that more accurately reflects this game--I think it has received a lot of criticism that is just wrong, which is common for cutthroat games like these. HoN does not have the worst player community, Dota does. Dota 2 may be better, but I will never know because Dota 2Heroes of Newerth is a free Dota clone with many different heroes. I created an account specifically to create a review that more accurately reflects this game--I think it has received a lot of criticism that is just wrong, which is common for cutthroat games like these. HoN does not have the worst player community, Dota does. Dota 2 may be better, but I will never know because Dota 2 is just a Dota clone that has even more childish looking graphics, and they added in the ridiculous Clinkz hero on purpose, which is unforgivably stupid (Scout in HoN can be compared to Clinkz, but he is at least melee which makes him 3x more vulnerable). League of Legends has the most cartoonish graphics of all, and attracts people who are cartoonish and childish themselves. Heroes of Newerth is distastefully ridiculous at times, but more often than not, the game is just down right hilarious (e.g., the owl with laserbeams graphic for their 1st year anniversary). Heroes of Newerth is the only MOBA game that is geared for mature adults, but it still of course does have people raging and insulting on the internet. Their penalties for leavers has stopped that problem almost completely, but I do disapprove of their concede system, which makes many games finish unnecessarily early if they start badly.

Now let's get down to the details of the gameplay itself. When playing MOBA games, it becomes clear that people have no idea what's fair and balanced. When Dota would receive updates, it was a constant disappointment. As the leadership in Dota 2 is the same, I would expect the same results. Every update to Heroes of Newerth was the complete opposite, with the exception of some hero additions who don't pique my interest. The item changes and additions have been absolutely incredible. The game has also has as many options as you could want, very simple hotkey setup, and outright hilarious voice choices (Including Samuel L. Jackson parodying himself from Pulp Fiction!). Best of all, they have finally added in the funnest mode of play (OMG mode in Dota 1), called Rift Wars, where the skills are randomly chosen and change after each death. The worst thing about this game is that it takes a while to get used to, and doesn't feel great when you lose terribly. As a bottom line, if you like strategy rpg games made for adults and are competitive, exciting, and have a fantasy setting, this is the best sport you could waste your time with.

Note: When I recently re-installed the game, I had to switch the graphics to OpenGL and then do a "repair install" from the options menu, which took an extra 5 minutes for my free game.
  11. Jul 29, 2014
    I hate people who dont give honest reviews. I play this game everyday. among all the different moba games this is the one i am most comfortable with. LoL sucks so in my opinion there are two great classic moba's to choose from dota 2 and hon. The main reason i like hon better is because of the differences from dota . There is no secret shop, you have auto leveling and runes are better isI hate people who dont give honest reviews. I play this game everyday. among all the different moba games this is the one i am most comfortable with. LoL sucks so in my opinion there are two great classic moba's to choose from dota 2 and hon. The main reason i like hon better is because of the differences from dota . There is no secret shop, you have auto leveling and runes are better is hon (because of the refresher rune) there are other differences but these are why i like hon better. The one thing i can say is that S2 is horrible and the dota servers better. Ever want a laugh look up S2'ed in youtube and you will see what i am talking about. 8 out of 10 is a very honest review for this game. Expand
  12. Nov 10, 2011
    A very decent DOTA clone, miles ahead of LoL and should probably the market leader in the MOBA genre. Not going F2P from day 1 hurt them. Needs some better support for guild. Has in-game VOIP, great spectator system and a lot of re-playability. Definitely worth checking out if your waiting for DOTA 2.
  13. Oct 17, 2011
    HoN is the best MOBA (Multiplayer Online Batte Arena) title on the markets right now. It stays very close to the original game DotA, with slight gameplay and major interface enhancements. E.g. matchmaking gives you a easy way to enter a game with people who are about the same level as you... no more server browsing, no more host leaving the game, ect. The only critique I have with thisHoN is the best MOBA (Multiplayer Online Batte Arena) title on the markets right now. It stays very close to the original game DotA, with slight gameplay and major interface enhancements. E.g. matchmaking gives you a easy way to enter a game with people who are about the same level as you... no more server browsing, no more host leaving the game, ect. The only critique I have with this game is it's incredible steep learning curve. To actually be a valuable asset to your team you have to play numerous hours (20+), and in the beginning you're going to feed very very much. Anyhow, I'm hooked since the first minute. TLDR: The best MOBA on the market with a extremly high skill ceiling. Expand
  14. Jul 1, 2012
    Even though this game has the same high learning curve than the Warcraft3 Mod(DotA) it still has a lot of improvements which make this game the perfect DotA clone. The leaver protection, the skill based matchmaking and a decent mix of own heroes and DotA heroes creates thousands of hours of gameplay with a friends and clans. The competitive scene and their players are constantly changingEven though this game has the same high learning curve than the Warcraft3 Mod(DotA) it still has a lot of improvements which make this game the perfect DotA clone. The leaver protection, the skill based matchmaking and a decent mix of own heroes and DotA heroes creates thousands of hours of gameplay with a friends and clans. The competitive scene and their players are constantly changing and is not dominated by the same team. Expand
  15. Aug 1, 2012
    for me i rate this game a 10 because i have been playing it for a year and i am so incredibly addicted to it. However, it is not for everyone. It is a game that has a simple concept, however, learning all the items and all the characters requires a lot of patience...that is just the tip of the iceburg! There are many things to learn and that comes with practice and hour and hours of timefor me i rate this game a 10 because i have been playing it for a year and i am so incredibly addicted to it. However, it is not for everyone. It is a game that has a simple concept, however, learning all the items and all the characters requires a lot of patience...that is just the tip of the iceburg! There are many things to learn and that comes with practice and hour and hours of time playing and watching replays and asking questions. The community however will not be welcoming you as a new players in general (this includes myself). you can be kicked for poor play, you will be verbally aggressed for simply not being good! That said, the game has recently become free to play, so what do you have to lose other than hours of valuable time and possibly your soul! Give it a try and make your own opinion! Expand
  16. Sep 8, 2012
    Sports the worst community of any game bar none. This coming from a player that has played on and off for 2 years and stabilized around 1750 MMR post-normalization. The game has glaring design-flaws that contributes to the indescribably awful community, which serves to alienate rather than invite new players. Don't even bother to play HoN if you're out of puberty; the community is a disgrace.
  17. Oct 5, 2010
    This game will destroy you. There is no easy way to put it, but you will want to yell at your team mates and they will want to yell at you. With a game so focused on working as a team where it is all about setting up combinations that are effective in team battles you can not avoid emotions. Really need to stress to not take this game too seriously as it is just a game and having fun isThis game will destroy you. There is no easy way to put it, but you will want to yell at your team mates and they will want to yell at you. With a game so focused on working as a team where it is all about setting up combinations that are effective in team battles you can not avoid emotions. Really need to stress to not take this game too seriously as it is just a game and having fun is the goal, but be prepared to be just torn apart if you do anything that someone else feels isn't up to snuff. The good thing is that when you are playing well as a team nothing is quite as awesome as turning a game where you were losing into a game where you are destroying. That is why I keep coming back. Expand
  18. Apr 4, 2011
    HoN is the exact same as DotA, with a few key differences:

1. HoN is missing about 20? heroes.
    2. HoN doesn't have anything comparable to DotA's "LoD" mode.
    3. HoN is full of 16 year old "pros" that had never even heard of DotA until this one came out.
    4. HoN costs $20.
    5. HoN is going to be dead in a year anyway, DotA players still play DotA, and most new players chose LoL.
  19. Dec 20, 2011
    A very solid MOBA game, though difficult to get into (and difficult to return to) due to its high learning curve and unfriendly player base. This game has a stylish feel to it and each of the heroes have a very unique personality. Definitely worth trying out now that it is free too play.
  20. Aug 27, 2010
    "Heroes of Newerth" or "HoN" is a great game to play. It is essentially a copy from the Warcraft 3 custom map "Defense of the Ancients" or "DotA".

In HoN (and DotA) you choose from a vast variety of Heroes, each with different roles and abilities. Your team of five players versus another five players with the aim of "pushing" lanes, and eventually destroying the opponent's main structure. AI units ("creeps") spawn every 30 seconds from either side of the three lanes, which automatically attempt the push the lane. If your Hero is nearby when an enemy creep or enemy Hero dies, you gain experience. By gaining experience, your Hero eventually levels up, allowing you to learn/improve your different abilities. By killing creeps and Heroes, you gain gold (as well as gaining gold periodically) which allows you to purchase items to make your Hero stronger.

The graphics in HoN is a huge improvement over the Warcraft 3 graphics DotA was utilising and being able to reconnect to a game is a great if you have an unexpected connection issue.

Many of the Heroes in HoN are clones from the DotA Heroes, which for someone like myself is good - having played DotA for a while, I am able to play HoN with all my old favourites. Although, not all the Heroes from DotA have been ported over. And there are even some non-DotA Heroes in HoN which are really good.

For someone new to this type of game, HoN can be quite difficult to grasp. The majority of the HoN community can be quite mean to new players. However, an easy way to overcome this is to play no-stat games. In HoN, different statistics are tracked as you play, such as Kill:Death Ratio, win %, and Public Skill Rating (PSR). When you win/lose your PSR will go up/down depending on the PSR of all the other people playing. Since most people would like to have a high PSR, they critizise new players who cause them to lose the game, and thus cause their PSR to go down. When playing a no-stat game, none of the stats a tracked, so people aren't aggressive.

However, the game costs 30USD. Which, for a game, 30USD isn't really that much.
    Every now and again, Heroes of Newerth has a free-to-play-weekend or even a free-to-play-week where you can play as much as you like for the period. If you want to try -before-you-buy, keep an eye out for these free-to-play periods.
  21. Aug 28, 2010
    Heroes of Newerth, while i have no idea what newerth is, I do love the heroes. Essentially this is a game that has improved graphics and easier controls then ice frogs old DOTA series. I've played DOTA for years upon years and i played the open beta for HON as it's called, and found the transfer to be fairly easy. Overall the community is fairly similar to DOTA, however due to theHeroes of Newerth, while i have no idea what newerth is, I do love the heroes. Essentially this is a game that has improved graphics and easier controls then ice frogs old DOTA series. I've played DOTA for years upon years and i played the open beta for HON as it's called, and found the transfer to be fairly easy. Overall the community is fairly similar to DOTA, however due to the statistics, if you have a low K/D Ratio or Kills to Deaths ratio, odds are you won't be allowed in numerous games, and thats a problem for some new players and a solution for more of the veteran players who hate playing with newbies. I believe this game was built well, with great intentions, but seems to be missing the option of hiding statistics to make life easier on newbies. Expand
  22. Mar 10, 2011
    Unlimited gameplay, steep learning curve, obnoxious community

Still my fav game, but its basically dota revamped

Heart pounding action every game though, so I cant complain too much

-1 only because of the obnoxious community
  23. Jul 15, 2011
    Heroes of Newerth is a game that has spread DotA's acclaim to a whole other level by elevating their weaknesses, and improving upon community wants and needs by implementing a reconnecting system and stats system that keeps everything organized and civil. HON is regularly 30$, but with a special promotion of 10$ at the moment, it is a must have if you have DotA's withdrawals. Don't miss out on this chance!
  24. Apr 14, 2014
    From a technical standpoint, this game is, in my humble opinion, the best MOBA. It's just so, so much more responsive than Dota 2, and the game pace is so fast that it truly rewards better players. Going to Dota 2 (or god forbid, league of legends) is like playing drunk - everything is slow and feels unresponsive.

I also enjoy the graphics style, and most of the original (non-dota)

I also enjoy the graphics style, and most of the original (non-dota) heroes are relatively well-designed and made, with some exceptions. I love the MMR system and the region locks so I don't have to deal with people that don't speak English every single game (I'm looking at you, Dota 2). However, the game's community is also one of the worst out there - very discouraging to new players. Also there's a ton of trolls and griefers. Would recommend to play with a team to deal with that, or try to get up to 1800+ MMR where there is less trolls.
  25. Dec 31, 2011
    Ok,so first review of 2012 for this game:HoN is a great game,and way better than dota 2. Dota 2 is a thumbed down version of the original dota,and much less action based+fun than hon. League of legends has always been a terrible game,and I highly recommend HoN over any other moba game if you're tired to dota.
  26. Oct 31, 2010
    This game is fantastic, well worth the $30 it costs.

With a large pool of playable heroes, and a wide variety of items, the combinations are almost unlimited. The game is immensely addictive and fun to play. Though it takes lots of practice and hours spent before you can start to grasp the real value of this game. Which might turn some new players off. The game requires a lot of time
    This game is fantastic, well worth the $30 it costs.

The game requires a lot of time being spent on it, it requires your full attention for the full duration of the match. Tabbing out for a couple of minutes, answering a SMS or getting something to eat is not an option, you must be there all the time. So be well prepared.

Another thing which is in much of my delight, is the amount of thinking you have to do in order to strategically outsmart your opponent. This game is indeed a strategy game at its best.

The downside to this game, isn't really the game itself but the players. There are, to my great dismay, a large amount of players that are very unreasonable persons, that haven't yet understood that the game has to be played together with other people. This can potentially ruin a great game.

I am inclined to give Heroes of Newerth a straight 10, but the player base is much responsible for my disability in doing so. Were it not for the blatantly lousy lower tier player base it'd be a 10.

In conclusion.
    If you love strategy and a lot of thinking, this is a must have.
  27. Jun 5, 2012
    Heroes of Newerth is a bad copy of dota. Graphics is old. Sound is terrible. I think LoL is better, fast and fun.
  28. Oct 7, 2010
    Based on the popular Warcraft 3 custom map, Defense of the Ancients, Heroes of Newerth (HoN) is an incredibly addictive and polished game from indie developer S2Games. Featuring stunning graphics, fast, smooth gameplay, and whole range of useful features (stat tracking, replays, reconnection, matchmaking, etc.), it is an absolute bargain at just $30. I highly recommend this game to anyoneBased on the popular Warcraft 3 custom map, Defense of the Ancients, Heroes of Newerth (HoN) is an incredibly addictive and polished game from indie developer S2Games. Featuring stunning graphics, fast, smooth gameplay, and whole range of useful features (stat tracking, replays, reconnection, matchmaking, etc.), it is an absolute bargain at just $30. I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys RPG and RTS style games, as well as anyone who enjoys a bit of PvP gaming. Expand
  29. Jul 11, 2011
    Heroes of Newerth wasn't a completely terrible game, but it tried way too hard to be DotA. It's steep learning curve and is in no way friendly to newer users. One of the more annoying quirks about the game was that it offered no range indicators for spells other than AoEs. It also has one of the worst communities I have ever seen and is totally unforgiving. Members of S2 Games' staff haveHeroes of Newerth wasn't a completely terrible game, but it tried way too hard to be DotA. It's steep learning curve and is in no way friendly to newer users. One of the more annoying quirks about the game was that it offered no range indicators for spells other than AoEs. It also has one of the worst communities I have ever seen and is totally unforgiving. Members of S2 Games' staff have also blatantly insulted users for berating the game, without any repercussions. I can say that it's graphics are well done. At it's price, this game isn't worth it. I'd recommend sticking to DotA, looking into League of Legends, and/or saving your money for Dota 2. Expand
  30. Aug 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Something is really missing that Defense of the Ancients has, the feeling is just gone. OK game, but copycat everything from IceFrog's DotA is kinda embarrassing Expand
  31. Jun 10, 2012

1. The only real compelling argument for getting into the game now comes from that group of friends who spend hours a day playing, telling you how great it is until you finally give in and join the madness with them.
  2. Heroes of Newerth makes a lot of fun. The heroes are cool, you have the typical DotA atmosphere and the matchmaking system ensure fair play. Nevertheless HoN is mainly a game for DotA veterans.
  3. For anyone who is a super advanced DotA player, Newerth is a must buy, if only to keep up with the tournaments. Everyone else really should stay away due to the terrible community.