8.4

1. Dec 10, 2012
    INDIE GAME OF THE YEAR FTW, Great music soundtrack, Brilliantine gritty knife throwing game play, engading and interesting story, AN ORIGINAL CONCEPT DIFFIDENTLY WORTH ALL YOUR MONEYS
  2. Oct 24, 2012
    1. This game has the best soundtrack I've ever heard.

2. It plays like Super Meat Boy with GTA graphucs and a Fear and Loathing in Vice City vibe.

3. It's ultra-violence at it's best.
  3. Oct 26, 2012
    Excellent game. The tension, the artistry, the speed, the strategy... A commendable and highly artistic rendation and critique of violence in popular media and an immense retro throwback make this game an instant cult hit. Granted, it's not for everyone but if you like vintage, tongue in cheeck humor and the 80's... go play it!
  4. Oct 28, 2012
    It's sadistic fun at its best. Think super meat boy in top-down shmup with awesome 80s disco soundtrack and some weird tripping story interludes. A game that rewards you for perfectly timing smashing through a door, jumping on someone's face, bashing it in, taking their baseball bat, throwing it into the next room at a mobster's head, taking his gun, then shooting his friend in the roomIt's sadistic fun at its best. Think super meat boy in top-down shmup with awesome 80s disco soundtrack and some weird tripping story interludes. A game that rewards you for perfectly timing smashing through a door, jumping on someone's face, bashing it in, taking their baseball bat, throwing it into the next room at a mobster's head, taking his gun, then shooting his friend in the room that is rushing at you with a crowbar. Then he wakes up from his daze and you pop him in the head, then all hell breaks loose as every single enemy on the map proceeds to enter the room you are in, and you only have 4 bullets remaining in this auto shotgun... so you hold back behind a corner of the doorway as they rush in "CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK" goes your mouse, and "BAM BAM BAM BAM" goes your shotgun... there's bloody mess EVERYWHERE but there's one guy left and he's running in with an assault rifle.... so instead you right click... and your autoshotgun goes flying across the room in your single last chance of faith in the game.... knocks the bodyguard out and then you storm him and jump on his face and keep bashing away until he stops moving and the last breathe of air escapes his now-limp corpse. Then a voice yells "GO BACK TO THE CAR!" while the smooth 80s disco beat continues to kick in. Oh how sexy you feel. If that sounds like your kind of game. GET ON BOARD Expand
  5. Oct 23, 2012
    An excellent little indie title that is not without its flaws. Currently (at launch) there are some stability issues though the developers are fixing them as quickly as possible. Also, the stealth mission (mentioned in the Destructoid review) does really suck. Thankfully, the rest of the game makes up for it. It has one of the best soundtracks in any game I've played; I'll definitely beAn excellent little indie title that is not without its flaws. Currently (at launch) there are some stability issues though the developers are fixing them as quickly as possible. Also, the stealth mission (mentioned in the Destructoid review) does really suck. Thankfully, the rest of the game makes up for it. It has one of the best soundtracks in any game I've played; I'll definitely be listening to it outside of the game.

The gameplay is fast paced and quite brutal but it requires you to be strategic or you'll quickly become overwhelmed. You can't zerg through this game, (nearly) everything kills you in a single hit. It isn't a very long game but what it offers is top notch (aside from that damn stealth level).
  6. Oct 27, 2012
    Hotline Miami produces an amazing atmosphere - a cross between a David Lynch movie and 'Drive'. The soundtrack is amazing, and mixed with the great game play, Hotline really gets your adrenaline pumping. A must buy.
  7. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is one of the best indie games that I have played in a long time. I literally spent a whole day dedicated to this game. Its brutal, fun, and addicting, and that's all I need for a decent game.
  8. Oct 26, 2012
    There's been a while since I didn't play anything so addictive as this game. I'd even dare to say it feels far more immersive than nowadays boring and unchallenging AAA titles. If you have any real knowledge about video games and good taste, then you'll enjoy this game. The artistry and music are also awesome. It definitely is a must buy.
  9. Nov 4, 2012
    Two guys. Old and primitive technology (Game Maker 7.1, 2007). One wonderful game in old-school hardcore style. Fantastic environment and atmosphere: from soundtrack to visual effects. Well designed gameplay / mechanics. It's godlike!
  10. Oct 25, 2012
    The game is rly fun to play.. it feels like loaded from psx or GTA1. It has a nice story that force you to use your imagination. You need skill to play this game.. at the beginning you will die a lot because the game is hard but with some practice you will get good fast and will start to enjoy the game. Hotline Miami is the kind of game that makes you rly use your brain.

You can play

You can play this game like a thief using only melee weapons or like Rambo.

Amazing soundtrack and old 16bit graphics.
  11. Oct 30, 2012
    Full review: http://newgameplus.co/pc/hotline-miami-review/

Hotline Miami, from indie developer Dennaton Games, is a hard-hitting, visceral experience. It starts in a dark alleyway where a nameless observer instructs you to kill three men. The first two with your fists, the last one with a baseball bat. The violence in Hotline Miami is brutal. It isn
  12. Nov 4, 2012
    A personal favorite and personal indie GOTY, Hotline Miami allows you to relive the days of newgrounds and Xgenstudio's "Stickman Arena" with it's arcade, top-down, style. The gameplay isn't the only thing really mesmerizing about the title, though, the music was flawlessly chosen for the title to portray the feelings of the protagonist. Definitely cathartic and worth a try for anyone whoA personal favorite and personal indie GOTY, Hotline Miami allows you to relive the days of newgrounds and Xgenstudio's "Stickman Arena" with it's arcade, top-down, style. The gameplay isn't the only thing really mesmerizing about the title, though, the music was flawlessly chosen for the title to portray the feelings of the protagonist. Definitely cathartic and worth a try for anyone who can appreciate a retro style arcade title. Expand
  13. Oct 29, 2012
    Ultraviolence, through and through.. just splendid for those who have the stomach. as far as game mechanics go, for me it took a little time to get used to, but the learning curve can be pretty steep, and it will definately sharpen your reflexes. ive beat the game, but i still want to unlock all the secrets and the alternative endings. not to mention the mask.. all in all its a trueUltraviolence, through and through.. just splendid for those who have the stomach. as far as game mechanics go, for me it took a little time to get used to, but the learning curve can be pretty steep, and it will definately sharpen your reflexes. ive beat the game, but i still want to unlock all the secrets and the alternative endings. not to mention the mask.. all in all its a true bargain. you get way more fun out of it, than you put money in. 9/10 Expand
  14. Oct 29, 2012
    I enjoy the fact that this game kicks my butt. I'm fairly good at games and this thing is tough! I like the fact that it actually takes skill. There are things I don't like about it (lack of options, minor physics issues, and even more minor control issues) but they are mostly blurred in the background while I'm killing people mindlessly. There are different masks to be worn which give youI enjoy the fact that this game kicks my butt. I'm fairly good at games and this thing is tough! I like the fact that it actually takes skill. There are things I don't like about it (lack of options, minor physics issues, and even more minor control issues) but they are mostly blurred in the background while I'm killing people mindlessly. There are different masks to be worn which give you certain advantages and unlockable weapons to use which generate randomly. The replay isn't fueled so much by that though, its more just the release of stress you get from bashing in a whole bunch of sprited heads (they are bad guys though and they deserve such treatment). Expand
  15. Oct 26, 2012
    Hotline Miami is a Indie done right. The combination of stealth and gruesome combat is great! The visual style with neon-colors and the great soundtrack underpin a really surreal and quite interesting plot that connects all of the murder scenes. This is by far the best Indie game I've ever played even surpassing FTL and Meatboy. Don't miss this but be warned that it's an adult theme.
  16. Nov 3, 2012
    This is not a game that everyone will enjoy. It presents a disconcerting, neon-glowing underworld through which the player is propelled by addictive, ultra-violent game mechanics. These actions, and their motivations, are turned on the player by posing them as questions - both outright, and implicitly, when the violence reaches its stomach-turning peaks. Hotline Miami presents one of theThis is not a game that everyone will enjoy. It presents a disconcerting, neon-glowing underworld through which the player is propelled by addictive, ultra-violent game mechanics. These actions, and their motivations, are turned on the player by posing them as questions - both outright, and implicitly, when the violence reaches its stomach-turning peaks. Hotline Miami presents one of the strongest explorations of video game violence and player motivations ever put to binary. It is also an important game. It brings to a mass audience what indie games are capable of: tackling issues that mainstream games **** around to avoid offending the press and the public, as well as eschewing the linear criteria of what's considered "quality" presentation in games. The game would be no better with more advanced graphics - in fact, the themes would be diluted by a greater focus on realism. The neon lights coupled with streaking blood and bright pink gore act like a scribbled highlighter on a page. The iconography of the character art works towards setting the player up: each enemy is faceless, their silhouettes only changing to convey what type of threat they are. They are set up to be classified as problems to be solved. This is what makes the questions posed to the player so powerful.

The game is fun. But it's a strange kind of fun. I would implore you to try it with an open mind, without trying to frame it or categorize it at first. Like a great art-house film, it feels very "complete" in what it sets out to do, which goes above and beyond trivial issues such as "I don't like 2d art" or "why is there no health bar". Those who fail to open up to new experience miss out on a lot in life, this game being no exception...
  17. Feb 6, 2013
    A hazy, grimy and unapologetically brutal rampage through an 80s tinted world, or a subversive and though-provoking look into the pervasiveness of excess violence in video games and media in general? Decide on whichever you want, as none of these questions really matter when you're actually down playing this wonderfully addictive, and surprisingly tactical, kill-fest.
  18. Dec 17, 2012
    Pedro said that hotline miami is very good and he bought overlord to wipe your ass so that did not pay. And his mother took it and put it on the shelf of your home zazaTR your coconut.
  19. Mar 20, 2013
    I found Hotline Miami to be a great game. The story was vague but you could make it what you wanted it to be, that's why I liked it. I admit gameplay was repetitive but it was still fun throughout. Besides aren't all games repetitive? While Hotline Miami wasn't groundbreaking, you can still call me a fan. Can't wait for the sequel.
  20. Oct 30, 2012
    This game is incredibly fun, and violent, and tense, and introspective, and uncomfortable. As one reviewer said "It's a game about the things you do in it". You don't beat it; it beats you.

Best summed up with this quote: "And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"
  21. Nov 27, 2012
    This game is superb beyond mere mortal words. It along with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 & Max Payne 3 are my games of the year. The music is a pure eargasm & combined with the flawless strategic gameplay puts you in a murderous trance. It's like Manhunt, Crossed with the 8 bit games Spy Vs Spy, Elevator Action, with a dash of Tetris in spirit of the puzzle & flow. The violence would makeThis game is superb beyond mere mortal words. It along with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 & Max Payne 3 are my games of the year. The music is a pure eargasm & combined with the flawless strategic gameplay puts you in a murderous trance. It's like Manhunt, Crossed with the 8 bit games Spy Vs Spy, Elevator Action, with a dash of Tetris in spirit of the puzzle & flow. The violence would make Mortal Kombat blush. Never has looking through a mentally broken man's masked hazed vision been so rewarding, Story is among the best. The combined artistry from one developer murks whole multimillion dollar corporations efforts. This 1 man swedish developer is a beast & deserves to become a millionaire. Buy this game now! I hope it comes out on PSN & XBox live. Suda-51 bow to the creator of Hotline Miami he took your title of madman of gaming & understands great game design. Expand
  22. Oct 26, 2012
    Hotline Miami is probably one of the best games of the year. The gameplay requires tactical thinking in a way that is almost puzzle-like, but it also requires extremely quick reflexes and skill. It's extremely fun and insanely addictive. The story is potent and meaningful, but also tongue in cheek, while the graphics are charming and colorful. But of all the presentation elements, it's theHotline Miami is probably one of the best games of the year. The gameplay requires tactical thinking in a way that is almost puzzle-like, but it also requires extremely quick reflexes and skill. It's extremely fun and insanely addictive. The story is potent and meaningful, but also tongue in cheek, while the graphics are charming and colorful. But of all the presentation elements, it's the brilliant soundtrack that really takes the cake. If you think you can handle the punishment, then Hotline Miami is a must. Expand
  23. Jul 13, 2013
    I know this isn't the best game in the history. it's far from it. BUT, it brings to me wonderful memories from great games from the past, that made my childhood awesome, like NES Mission: Impossible, and PC GTA 2. Now, about the game itself, i'ts awesome, it's hard, and it's beatiful. It has minor cons, but we have to evalute him like the way the creators made it. Is not for everyone, theI know this isn't the best game in the history. it's far from it. BUT, it brings to me wonderful memories from great games from the past, that made my childhood awesome, like NES Mission: Impossible, and PC GTA 2. Now, about the game itself, i'ts awesome, it's hard, and it's beatiful. It has minor cons, but we have to evalute him like the way the creators made it. Is not for everyone, the game it's basically about dying a lot, but learning a lot too. Juego increíble, gracias por traer mis mejores recuerdos de infancia de vuelta. Expand
  24. Oct 29, 2012
    Not perfect, but astoundingly brilliant nonetheless. The gameplay requires some learning. This means you'll die. A lot, which will be perfectly fine more often than not thanks to the bite-sized levels. It also means that if you manage to adapt and learn, you'll get better. Even though It will remain tricky and unforgiving (and therefore challenging and engaging) due to the way the aimingNot perfect, but astoundingly brilliant nonetheless. The gameplay requires some learning. This means you'll die. A lot, which will be perfectly fine more often than not thanks to the bite-sized levels. It also means that if you manage to adapt and learn, you'll get better. Even though It will remain tricky and unforgiving (and therefore challenging and engaging) due to the way the aiming system works, you will gradually become able to pull off bold and risky moves, and you'll be rewarded for it with a sense of achievement. It's the ultimate reward a game can give you, it's something various systems out there try to replicate in a somewhat callous way with badges made of pixels, and it is something that comes naturally to this particular game.

The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic as well. I really don't know anything about music so I'll shut up (after saying just this): I think that not only it is good in its own right, but that it also perfectly fits and maybe even extends the most excellent experience that is Hotline Miami. I knocked a point because I'm left-handed: The use of the shift key is a big no-no of awkwardness for me, and there currently is no way around this. A patch is on the way, but I really think it should have been in the release.

In the end, if you're a gaming rat that gets into nerd rage fits at the sight of anything that is not the formatted Skinner box he has been taught to like, don't buy this.

On the other hand, if you are more of an open-minded type of gaming rat, this little gem of a game will reward you amply for your time and your attention.
  25. Oct 26, 2012
    I've just stopped playing Hotline Miami for 4 hours straight and I would like to play more, but I have to put a limit somewhere! It's fun, intense and it's got interesting story, too. It's really hard and you have to try different strategies to survive unfair fights. Controls works well, but you can't change them (at least, at the moment) and that's a minus. Graphics are what you couldI've just stopped playing Hotline Miami for 4 hours straight and I would like to play more, but I have to put a limit somewhere! It's fun, intense and it's got interesting story, too. It's really hard and you have to try different strategies to survive unfair fights. Controls works well, but you can't change them (at least, at the moment) and that's a minus. Graphics are what you could expect from 80's-90's. True blast from the past. Art is good and music... Music is awesome. I don't even listen that kind of music normally and still I can't help but grin when one of those great tracks starts. There's lots of dark humor and, as you progress, things start to turn more and more twisted. Even though this game is extremely violent, in subtle ways, this game is actually against mindless violence. Who would have thought that this kind of little game could make such impact. I recommend this to everyone, who wants to have a tough challenge while listening very good music. I think even those, who demand AAA -class graphics will enjoy this game. I know I will. Expand
  26. Nov 1, 2012
    I picked up this game the other day and I haven't been able to stop playing it. I'd say it's got a lot of things going for it, and I'm somewhat baffled by some of the more negative reviews I have read on here from other users. It is a top down shooter controlled by the keyboard for movement and the mouse for aiming. I can understand how the controls may give some people a hrd time, butI picked up this game the other day and I haven't been able to stop playing it. I'd say it's got a lot of things going for it, and I'm somewhat baffled by some of the more negative reviews I have read on here from other users. It is a top down shooter controlled by the keyboard for movement and the mouse for aiming. I can understand how the controls may give some people a hrd time, but I felt them clicking within about an hour of play. In my experience so far, it is incredibly easy to control, and I now find myself flying through levels at speeds that would have terrified me when I first started playing. The game is fast, brutal, and completely unforgiving. I have heard it compared to Trials HD on XBL, and that comparison is completely warranted. They are fundamentally different games, but they have that same rapid-fail, rapid-restart system that encourages experimentation and switching up yourstrategies to try to find the most painless, combo-streaking way to tear through the army of enemies littering the level. The use of violence, especially given the old-school graphics, is surprisingly over-the-top and visceral, and even manages to be unsettling to a certain degree, especially when, at the end of each level, you have to march back out to your car through a sea of mutilated bodies and blood covering the building. I have beaten the game through 3 times at this point, and I can't wait to get off of work to go back and blast my way through it again. It's simple, it's challenging, it's very unique (I can't think of any game to compare the actual minute-to-minute gameplay to) and I LOVE IT. It may not be for absolutely everyone, but it has won me over in a big way. If you're the kind of gamer who likes a challenge, and is up for mastering a new type of game you may not have extensive experience with already, this game is for you, and it's badass. My only real complaint in this flood of praise is that the game is kind of short, and with the simplicity of the basic mechanics, i'm a little disappointed that they couldn't throw in a few more level than what is there. But for 10 bucks, I definitely found it to be worth my money. Expand
  27. Nov 17, 2012
    The old-style graphics mixed with a sinister and dark plot as a beat-em up game is genius, and I spent six-ten hours completing it normally, then just using melee/my fists unless I absolutely had to use guns. The game is absolutely enjoyable, and I advise you buy it.
  28. May 3, 2013
    “简单、直接、暴力、挑战”,因为语言问题无法了解故事情节,但并不影响这款游戏的独特体验。操作非常的简单,很快就能适应;杀与被杀都是直接了当,绝不拖泥带水;爆头,断肢,血浆一点也不少;被杀后只要按R键就可以从这个楼层从新开始,快速投入到令人血脉喷张的战斗中。游戏有丰富的武器和道具供你使用,高强度的电子乐,绝对刺激,绝对少儿不宜!“简单、直接、暴力、挑战”,因为语言问题无法了解故事情节,但并不影响这款游戏的独特体验。操作非常的简单,很快就能适应;杀与被杀都是直接了当,绝不拖泥带水;爆头,断肢,血浆一点也不少;被杀后只要按R键就可以从这个楼层从新开始,快速投入到令人血脉喷张的战斗中。游戏有丰富的武器和道具供你使用,高强度的电子乐,绝对刺激,绝对少儿不宜!
  29. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is just fun. I don't dig this retro craze as much as most people, but don't get me wrong, this game is bags of fun. Killing people in stylish combo-ey manners hasn't been this frustrating, challenging but just so much adrenaline this game makes you feel like you're on a roller coaster ride. This music just adds so much flavour into this game. I cannot give it anymore highThis game is just fun. I don't dig this retro craze as much as most people, but don't get me wrong, this game is bags of fun. Killing people in stylish combo-ey manners hasn't been this frustrating, challenging but just so much adrenaline this game makes you feel like you're on a roller coaster ride. This music just adds so much flavour into this game. I cannot give it anymore high praise. Fun and not to mention reasonably priced Expand
  30. Nov 1, 2013
    Its simple and fun and definitely on my list for Indie game of the year. It just feels like an 80's exploitation film, and reminds me of a lot of crime films from the time. Its easy to get addicted in its clever gameplay and you'll never get tired of cracking a dude over the head with a baseball bat, or finding other gruesome ways to kill your opponents.

From the get-go, Miami’s presentation has a unique style, with vivid colors, generous amounts of post-process filtering and a stunning soundtrack (you will just let the game play on, only to hear the tracks). But at the same time, all notions of continuous fast-paced action gameplay disappear. Hotline Miami is essentially a top-down stealth game, that rewards the player with imaginative (and quite violent) kill animations. [January 2013]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    A stylish slice of retro carnage. This is the bloodiest, least forgiving game of the year. [Jan 2013, p.85]
  3. Dec 17, 2012