Hydrophobia Prophecy PC

6.1

1. Jan 21, 2012
    Not one of the better action games I have played recently. It may have been my computer, but the graphics were fuzzy to the point that I couldn't see the written directions. It was hard to switch between weapons, and the weapons were meager at best. On the plus side, the story was interesting and some of the gimics like the MAVI were pretty neat.
  2. Apr 27, 2012
    I caught this for a steal (£1) on a Steam sale, and I'm dead impressed. As 90% of games these days are run and shoot affairs, the different approach to gameplay feels innovative. Special mention of course to the visuals, the elements (fire, water) effects really are amazing and there's lots of great ideas floating (ha!) around that make the game well worth checking out.
  3. Nov 20, 2013
    Hydrophobia is a really interesting game… For a game that’s based, for the majority of its run, in and around water you would expect it to be a little dull and repetitive; however the water looks phenomenal! That may sound like an obscure statement, but it does look and act like real water and its manipulated by the game so well! The downsides to the game do include character control asHydrophobia is a really interesting game… For a game that’s based, for the majority of its run, in and around water you would expect it to be a little dull and repetitive; however the water looks phenomenal! That may sound like an obscure statement, but it does look and act like real water and its manipulated by the game so well! The downsides to the game do include character control as sometimes our Lara Croft clone just truly irritates you beyond belief doing things you never asked and of course occasional obscure and difficult camera angles; combat seems unusual at first but it does grow on you… Well worth a look to check out the water alone! Expand
  4. Jul 17, 2011
    I thought Hydrophobia was going to be real cool, anybody would fall for being able to manipulate water right? Well it turns out to be quite disappointing. First, you only get to use your water ability at the very end. Before that, you just have a basic gun with multiple ammo choices but only the sonic is necessary, the rest is pretty useless. At this point the game is fun to play, butI thought Hydrophobia was going to be real cool, anybody would fall for being able to manipulate water right? Well it turns out to be quite disappointing. First, you only get to use your water ability at the very end. Before that, you just have a basic gun with multiple ammo choices but only the sonic is necessary, the rest is pretty useless. At this point the game is fun to play, but nothing original though. Story is simple but convenient and Scoot (your guide) is entertaining, though the heroin, Kate, could sometimes whine less. The water effects are nice and so is the MAVI device and the hacking system, environment designs could more original though and facial character animation is weak (all they do is move their mouths). Upon starting the third act, you get to have your power but all you can do with is move objects around, still fun though. THEN comes the big disappointment: the final boss. This part was just a pain in ***; you actually HAVE too use the electronic ammo, like some kind of E.M.P (otherwise useless for the rest of the game) and when you're done shooting at the big robot (which is powered by weak or too simple AI) you've got to throw explosive barrels at it with your water ability but all you can hope for is actually trying to catch one while you're being shot at by other enemies... and crap: you can't aim while your ability is enabled! Worse than that, when you're finally done with the boss, if you fail to go fast enough and pursue the next events: the damn DEAD machine comes to life again and you have to start over. I really wanted to love this game but I just got too frustrated. All in all: positive are the water physics and graphics (Kate looks pretty good); average: level design, most of the gameplay and story; negative: the reason you actually bought this game for. I still gave it a 6 because the developers care for the game and have made significant updates and for the very low price (bought it for 2.50 euros on Steam). Expand
  5. May 11, 2011
    Despite the criticism I have seen, it's not a bad little game, especially for the price. It's nothing too special... pretty linear, some platforming and cover-based shooting elements, and very pretty fire and water effects. Developers are active on the Steam forum and patching and tweaking based on player feedback, which is always good, although it's not buggy or anything at all. I'd sayDespite the criticism I have seen, it's not a bad little game, especially for the price. It's nothing too special... pretty linear, some platforming and cover-based shooting elements, and very pretty fire and water effects. Developers are active on the Steam forum and patching and tweaking based on player feedback, which is always good, although it's not buggy or anything at all. I'd say give it a go if it looks interesting to you. Hopefully they will have a PC demo soon. And I'd recommend a 360 controller for it, it just fits the game better. Expand
  6. Jul 11, 2011
    When I first saw this game, I saw a woman manipulating water, and it looked like fun. That's a cool concept right? Especially with Havok-powered physics?

Well, after the first act, it seemed to be the case that I wasn't actually getting any cool water powers at all. Then in the second act, I was like "Nanobot infestation! Now I get cool powers!" But no. I just got to run around taking meds. And then at the *very* end of the game I get my water powers, and all I get to do with them is throw some barrels. What a disappointment :(

What's worse than not getting superpowers? Getting 3 minutes of superpowers. You know what's worse than that? Wishing you never actually got them. Apparently I can't aim my gun and use the water power at the same time. Apparently the developers thought that "4" was a good button for switching between water and gun. The only thing you can do with your water powers is move objects, and doing so is awkward at best. The final (only) boss battle relies on accurate use of your brand-new powers, but all you can do is flail around hoping to grab something. Oh, did I mention people are shooting at you at the same time? Too bad you can't aim your gun. Oh wait, you can use water to throw people around right? You can *try*, but they'll probably kill you while you're trying to pick them up. Stick to your gun.

And about the gun... Your gun has infinite "sonic rounds" at the outset, and you really never need to use the other ammo types. The gel rounds are kind of fun, but semi-auto is useless, energy is useless, and rapid-fire you only get at the very end. The game actually forces you to use energy rounds for the boss battle. It's like the developers knew they were useless and needed some way to justify their existence.

The control is awkward at times, especially when swimming, and there's no shortage of swimming in this game. The camera is usually OK, but sometimes you can't point it where you want to look, or it'll aim in such a way that Kate completely blocks what you're trying to shoot at.

Luckily, the first two acts of the game are actually fun to play. When the acrobatic sequences work, they're really fluid. Speaking of fluids, the water effects are indeed very good. Explosive barrels are a mainstay of any game with guns, and by god they're everywhere. On a boat. I don't know why. Scoot's dialog is well-written and entertaining. Kate isn't a stereotypical heroine (though sometimes whinier than she needs to be) .The MAVI device is fun, and the hacking sequences are novel. The story is simple, but it works, and the villians are neo-Malthusians which isn't exactly standard fare. Almost all the problems with this game are in the third act. Scoot isn't there, the level design is suddenly more trite, and most of all you get useless water powers. Unfortunately, this is how you end the game, so it doesn't leave you feeling very satisfied.
  7. Dec 11, 2011
    This could have been a very good game. The graphics are nice and the setting is nicely done. The controls are a bit quirky, but not overly so. The voice acting isn't stellar, but it's above average. The hacking system is very cool. All the ingredients are there. But what ruins it is cut-scene hell. You can't take two steps without the game yanking control out of your hands to dump you intoThis could have been a very good game. The graphics are nice and the setting is nicely done. The controls are a bit quirky, but not overly so. The voice acting isn't stellar, but it's above average. The hacking system is very cool. All the ingredients are there. But what ruins it is cut-scene hell. You can't take two steps without the game yanking control out of your hands to dump you into yet another damn cut-scene. It completely wrecks the immersion. For all the visuals and the occasional puzzle, this game end up amounting to nothing more than running from one cut-scene to another while avoiding obstacles. There are better and more clever ways to tell a story in a game than to turn it into a movie that's interrupted by brief bouts of running along a completely linear path. By the way, you CAN skip the cut-scenes, but they're about 90% of the game content, so you won't have a clue why you're doing what you're doing if you skip them. Granted, the game is so linear that you actually can play it without having a clue as to why any of it is happening, but what's the point? So, if you can stand just sitting back while the game plays itself and occasionally being allowed to run the character from point A to point B, you might enjoy this for the view. It is pretty. But if you prefer to play a game yourself and actually have choices in what happens, you'll be disappointed in this title. Expand
  8. Sep 5, 2012
    This is actually a decent little title,and for £1 of Steam in the Daily Deal what a bargain.Once you have a few minutes getting the feel for the controls it playes well,and graphically its great,dont what anyone has been complaining about.I would have paid more for it.
  9. Dec 7, 2012
    An interesting game, one i rather enjoyed. First and foremost, the water effects are EPIC! This is perhaps the games best aspect.The Hydro-manipulation powers turn up a little late in the game but are still fun to play with and bring a refreshing new way of taking out enemies The rest of the game is fairly average, a few jumping puzzles, some baddies to dispatch. A solid cover systemAn interesting game, one i rather enjoyed. First and foremost, the water effects are EPIC! This is perhaps the games best aspect.The Hydro-manipulation powers turn up a little late in the game but are still fun to play with and bring a refreshing new way of taking out enemies The rest of the game is fairly average, a few jumping puzzles, some baddies to dispatch. A solid cover system allowing you to round corners, switch sides at doorways and to hang on to floating debris and use it as cover too.

The different types of ammo were interesting until you realise that your unlimited stun rounds are all you need for the majority of the game

All told this is a solid all round game, with nothing particularly special (except the water which is awesome) Definitely worth a go!
  10. Jan 1, 2012
    It is a fun and potentially immersive, beautiful graphics especially the effects of water and waves. It has gameplay issues and camera, but nothing that interferes too much. But what this game is most important is innovation in a lot of things, something rare these days.
  11. Feb 3, 2012
    Hydrophobia: Prophecy (PC Steam) 7 /10 Released 2011.05 (DarkEnergyLimited / Microsoft) Played 2012.01
    Genre: First person shooter, third person perspective
    Ratings Overall Rating: 7 -- Mercifully short Controls: 7 Graphics: 9 Story: 3 Audio: 3 DRM: Steam [Game summary] Play the role of a security officer on a luxury liner / city at sea at the initiation of a terrorist attack.... The
    Genre: First person shooter, third person perspective

Story: 3
    Audio: 3
    DRM: Steam

[Game summary]
    Play the role of a security officer on a luxury liner / city at sea at the initiation of a terrorist attack.... The boat is sinking - taking on water (nudge nudge wink wink) - and you run around meeting all the challenges to enable your escape.... The terrorist plot is â
  12. Dec 1, 2011
    My expectations weren't very high for this one, but it turned out to be surprisingly good--a decent bargain priced FPS. It is a respectable title in the shooter genre.
  13. Jun 30, 2011
    Against the negative reviews on this game I purchased it from Steam and played it and found it was actually a fun and enjoyable game. Not at all like many of the poor reviews.
    The controls were NOT hard like some said, very basic for this type of game. If you have played Tomb Raider you will be at home with Hydrophobia. In fact the controls in the water add to a truly hydrophobic feeling. The water and fire was awesome on my GTX560 and very smooth. It's a fun little game for the money. I personally own over 120 games and this is a decent game and not even close to being a bad game. The only things I would change. 1.Light Bloom is a bit too much. 2. There is some sort of fog or haze with the graphics and not clear. 3. Too many cut scenes for my personal gaming taste.

I can't complain for the $3 dollars I paid, but it's worth $10 easy. Just sit back and enjoy it for what it is. I gave it a 7 out of 10.
  14. Jan 31, 2012
    Hydrophobia Prophecy is a third-person shooter and adventure where the protagonist, a young woman that moans a lot, is part of the crew aboard a giant boat that doubles as a city. Together with your handler, Scoot, who's actually quite entertaining to listen to, you find yourself trapped inside the innards of said boat after a terrorist attack. The goal is to survive and find out who isHydrophobia Prophecy is a third-person shooter and adventure where the protagonist, a young woman that moans a lot, is part of the crew aboard a giant boat that doubles as a city. Together with your handler, Scoot, who's actually quite entertaining to listen to, you find yourself trapped inside the innards of said boat after a terrorist attack. The goal is to survive and find out who is behind the attacks and find out what their goals are as you wade through endless copy-pasted corridors filled with copy-pasted puzzles, enemies, objects and a hell of a lot of water. The graphics are rather good, seeing the water in action each time is sort of awe-inspiring but the rest of the game is a let down. The headache-inducing camera and trichotillomania-inducing controls ruin most of the experience. There are also two different game modes to this game; one is walking around shooting, jumping and swimming and the other is staring through your "MAVI" to find hidden clues and collectibles. The MAVI turns everything into a very bright wire-frame model that allows you to see grafitti which can not be seen with the normal camera mode. This is mission critical and it is also used to discover some of the backstory. Although switching to and from the MAVI is easy, using it is simply annoying. Everything tends to look alike when you're zoomed in and you can only use the movement keys in this mode. Everything else has to be done from third-person. That wouldn't be a problem if the third-person wasn't broken; the controls unresponsive, the game tends to lag during situations where it really shouldn't and swimming is an exercise in frustration as the protagonist tends to pop in and out of water because she won't simply swim towards the mouse like you'd be used to but instead demands that you use a plethora of keys to make her swim through the narrow corridors of the ship. More than once did I lose my sense of direction because of the game constantly forcing me to switch back and forth from the third -person view to the first-person MAVI-view. The combat is unsatisfying. You obtain a firearm somewhere at the beginning and you will find different types of ammo for this gun. Most of them seem useless, the basic round is very deadly and it has infinite ammo. An interesting tit-bit is that you can have combat underwater, which works well if there's enough room to navigate. Apparently, you get to control the water in act 3 (Which is the last act) but I quit at the beginning of Act 3 as I couldn't bear the controls any more. I also thought the scenery was inherently depressing. They only bother showing you the city at the very beginning of the game and at that point, you're not exactly sure what you're looking at yet. I wouldn't recommend this game to any one but the most ardent adventure gamer. Expand
  15. Jul 5, 2011
    I purchased this game on Steam when it was on sale for roughly four dollars and I have to say, it was four dollars well spent. The game design, plot and the protagonist are all very likeable. The whole idea of water being a focal point of the game is enthralling, as we live in a day and age where water is commonly discussed and how to prolong the water supplies we have. These elements ofI purchased this game on Steam when it was on sale for roughly four dollars and I have to say, it was four dollars well spent. The game design, plot and the protagonist are all very likeable. The whole idea of water being a focal point of the game is enthralling, as we live in a day and age where water is commonly discussed and how to prolong the water supplies we have. These elements of the game drew me in before I actually even bought the game and were the most appealing parts of the game for me.

The actual game itself, while short was very fun and challenging. The fact that the game has a variation of difficulties inside the stock-standard easy, medium and hard made the game accessible for casual (like myself) to extreme gamers. The main thing that let me down was the actual combat of the game. I don't know whether it was my doing but I found it hard to aim, the gun seemed hard to use with constant ammo changes for a variety of situations and new fighting system in the final act of the game seemed buggy. The final boss fight was a real letdown for me and the ending just ... wasn't really an ending.

I don't play a lot of FPS but this game has defiantly rekindled my interest in the whole platform.
  16. Mar 3, 2012
    Damn. This game is cool. The game has water physics, REAL FOR SERIOUS water physics, and it gets really awesome once you gain the ability to manipulate the water. For about 10 minutes. The game is unbelievable short, almost insultingly so. I finished it in 2 hours. The game could have been great if they actually made it last for longer than a movie.
  17. Mar 9, 2012
    I great game, if you can get it for $2.50 on Steam. It has the best water physics I have ever seen, and there are several other unique features, such as:

-The MAVI, and hand-help computer of sorts that has a translucent screen. Through this screen you can see hidden messages on the walls, hack control panels, and access the facility security cameras. -The ability to manipulate water

-The ability to manipulate water with your mind and use it as a weapon. It looks somewhat similar to water bending from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

-Your gun has a stun mode that can be used to knock out your enemies, or to kill them with repeated blows. This is useful, since it has infinite ammo, unlike the other weapons in the game.

-"Gel" rounds that you can fire at a wall, and when they stick, you can detonate them when you like.

The gameplay feels like a mix between Mass Effect, where you can take cover and shoot at your enemies, and a classic 3D platformer, where you can jump, climb, etc. There's also a bit of puzzle solving as well. To add to it, collectible items and readable documents are scattered about, and completionist gamers will love searching for them. Cons to this game include:

-The voice acting ranges from good, to so- so, to laughable.
    -It's short (but at least it's not expensive).
    -The water abilities are not presented to you early enough in the game for you to have time to enjoy them.
    -The plot can be hard to follow at times (though still rather enjoyable)

I HIGHLY recommend this game if you can get it on sale at Steam. It was worth every penny for me.
  18. Sep 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Three things that can kill a game: 1) plot, 2) voice acting and 3) STEAM. And that's exactly what killed Hydrophobia, now selling for less than two bucks. The plot could not be any cheesier: it smells late 80's/early 90's tough-macho-action-hero movie. Yes, I know that there is a story behind it, that there is some sort of tech that will end the crisis and save the world, and then the vilains want to use this tech to kill everyone instead, but in the end, you are stuck in this whrecked ship and running for your life while shooting baddies. Yep, that's all you do. So it reminds me of Die Hard (the movie) somehow, but in a ship instead of a building. And silly jokes like "I didn't sign up for this" or "The big guy in heaven must like you" are just so old and over, they should be avoided at any cost. Now the voice acting, ah... the voice acting is just terrible, starting with the whiny main character that sound like she is being kicked, slapped and raped whenever you touch the keyboard or mouse, especially when she is swimming (which she does a lot by the way). It's just so excessive, a never-ending amount of "ugh"s and "ohhh"s and "ahhh"s and annoying groanings and moanings that I would recommend put the voice slider on zero. And finally, STEAM: I have never heard of this game until it showed up on their weekend deal, or whatever they call it. Now STEAM is always advertising those ridiculous 2D platform, point-and-clicks and retro style games, I think they could have done way better on this one, as it isn't such a bad game, at least if compared to other games that STEAM seem to idolize. So, form me, in the end, apart from the awful plot, terrible voice acting and a few issues with controls, it is still a OK game, so I am not going to be too harsh. But story and voices just didn't work for me, it totally broke the immersion. Hopefully they will invest a bit more in professional writters and voice actors in the future, and of course, find some other service to sell it. Either that, or it will drown again just like this one. Expand
  19. Aug 1, 2013
    A tough game to rate. Action is solid, graphics are still pretty strong and the water physics are also enjoyable. Some of the most enjoyable skills though don't unlock until the final act and you get little opportunities to explore it. Story is average and the game abruptly ends after no real closure of the build up. Worth a look considering the very cheap price it can be found for.
  20. Nov 15, 2012
    At start Hydrophobia seems to offer a beautiful futuristic world, a story possibly from okay to great. But when the game actually starts, it slowly starts "melting". The story is pushed too much behind. We never get an idea what's going on outside or what outside even looks like besides our view from balcony at the start of game.

And then the water and puzzles hits. At first I tried to

And then the water and puzzles hits. At first I tried to use only "Mavi" without waypoint help. But that quickly became annoying. Let alone "explore" mode, you can't even find your way WITH waypoint help. There are some pipes or roads that looks like usable, but not, actually. Or you need to use very weird ways to clear your way. Like shooting electricity cables with gun, instead cutting the power down. Normally I'm open to all kind of realistic and creative gameplay, I even though of that exact thing on previous games I played but with Hydrophobia the game doesn't give you an idea. It's completely unexpected. Another example would be glass, lately discovered only exit out of a place, not breaking with multiple shots without finding out on YouTube, your "sonic" gun actually powers up when you keep pressing fire. On PC, controls are a mess. Water use is a good idea but you're really drowned to it. Moving in water around debris is incredibly hard, underwater moving is very difficult, some parts are very weird places that requires you to go underwater, stay on water, fight, find stuff without even A proper place to stand/cover. There are parts that enemies are coming at you from 360 degrees, you find little to cover, end they never end. Since finding your way is very hard, you're gonna need to do that in combat. Both trying to stay alive and finding a good place to figure things out. "Mavi" use is also sometimes pushing too much. Sure, it's an interesting addition but it's use is painful. After game's actual start, the story pushed too far behind. Game is like a Crysis 2 start, with no end. I wish we had a bit more "general environment play-time". Sure the game's name is "Hydro"phobia, but that doesn't mean you can't get a decent peak to a futuristic world. In this sense I think you find Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
  21. Aug 2, 2013
    This game isn't the greatest i've played, however, it is FAR from the worst. Some of the gameplay elements are irritating (some of the other reviewers mention camera control underwater, for example), but overall, it is certainly worth the price of entry. Not sure why people gripe about how "meager" the weapon selection is, but, given that you're an engineer on a boat, and not your standardThis game isn't the greatest i've played, however, it is FAR from the worst. Some of the gameplay elements are irritating (some of the other reviewers mention camera control underwater, for example), but overall, it is certainly worth the price of entry. Not sure why people gripe about how "meager" the weapon selection is, but, given that you're an engineer on a boat, and not your standard shooter "Hulking Meatman with an arsenal in his pants", it doesn't surprise me that you don't have too many guns, and given how most of the parts where you need to make with the dealing of deathiness you can usually do something like "shot the exposed cable with the sonic gun to drop the live end down into the water near the guy who needs to die" or, "hack the door on the other end of the room to unleash a torrent of water, then stun the guy who needs to die so he drowns" or... well, you get the idea. Expand
  22. May 21, 2014
    Interesting game concept and would be a fairly good platformer. It reminds me of Mirrors Edge with a water theme. Sadly they decided to include a terrible shooter element to the game. Overall it is a decent experience for a few hours. Nothing to brag about.
  23. Jul 10, 2015
    Straight up, I don't recommend this as a game. This is one of the most average third person shooters I have ever played. It's not necessarily a bad game, but it's not worth playing if you aren't going to buy it for the water effects/physics. If you are okay with a tech demo, then consider getting it.

Hydrophobia: Prophecy was developed by an indie company, so straight away you know that it won't easily compete with the best TPS games out there.

If I had to compare the entire game to other games, I would say that they took the climbing mechanics from Tomb Raider/Uncharted and made the sinking ship level from "Tomb Raider: Underworld" into a game.

The game was made for almost no other reason than to show off the engine. It has dynamic water with physics that are incredible. You can shoot out windows to flood rooms even more and the water can either help you in combat or it will just make things more difficult. Unfortunately the game is short and doesn't really speed up. The game is apparently the first in a series, but when you are playing a 4 year old game, you know that there won't be a sequel any time soon.

The gameplay would be far too unacceptable if it weren't for the water mechanics. It's essentially a corridoor shooter with an upturned bucket of water over it. Most of the time you'll die because you didn't know what the game wanted you to do. The waypoints and tips from your work partner who is known as "Scoot" are overdone as they literally tell you how to get through each section of the game. The character development is so weak that it shouldn't have even existed.

The controls are okay most of the time, but the camera does not want to go under the water, so it really limits how far you can look up or down, which is really annoying when there are 3 metre waves flying everywhere.

The story is just a lame excuse for a giant city on a boat to start sinking. Basically a bunch of terrorists claim that in order to save the world, they need to kill everybody on board. The story is weak as anything I'm afraid.

The water is definitely the main focus of the game, as waves crash against you and send crates floating in all directions. I especially love it when you open a door and the water from the room you were in slowly seeps through. The water can appear almost gel-like at times, but since it was an innovation that literally tested the water (heheh), I can forgive it.

This game could have shown how water can really change up the gameplay of a game, but unfortunately, they didn't make the mechanics good enough for it. The potential was there, but the presentation was sub-par.

Unfortunately, no other games used this engine and other engines are starting to produce better effects, which is making this game even more obsolete and mediocre. Some things just don't get better with age.

1. Oct 27, 2011
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Oct 27, 2011
    Quotation forthcoming.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 30, 2011
    Third time's the Charm – first time it was XBLA Hydrophobia, then the game was released again as Pure and now we've got Prophecy. Enough tries we say. [July 2011]