6.2

1. May 21, 2014
    Interesting game concept and would be a fairly good platformer. It reminds me of Mirrors Edge with a water theme. Sadly they decided to include a terrible shooter element to the game. Overall it is a decent experience for a few hours. Nothing to brag about.
  2. Apr 8, 2014
    Good game. Best graphics and physics ! Interesting puzzles, fluently gameplay. I like this game very ! (over 40 characters left to get it uploeded.)
  3. Dec 3, 2013
    Sci-Fi survival game, lots of running, climbing, swimming, shooting, puzzles. Your character is a wannabe Lara Croft running around with a Judge Dredd type of gun in a typical cliche plot. Games packed with environmental hazards and the 'water' has a life its own. Its a one of those get it on a sale type games.
  4. Nov 20, 2013
    Hydrophobia is a really interesting game… For a game that’s based, for the majority of its run, in and around water you would expect it to be a little dull and repetitive; however the water looks phenomenal! That may sound like an obscure statement, but it does look and act like real water and its manipulated by the game so well! The downsides to the game do include character control as sometimes our Lara Croft clone just truly irritates you beyond belief doing things you never asked and of course occasional obscure and difficult camera angles; combat seems unusual at first but it does grow on you… Well worth a look to check out the water alone! Expand
  5. Nov 12, 2013
    Oh my god, how do people get away with games like this!? While the plot is solid, and the environment is interesting, the gameplay itself is so damn abysmal, that I can't even explain it. First is that the port is pretty bad, this game's idea of increasing graphics is to make things fuzzier, and all of the graphical options are changed through a launcher. The climbing system is dreadful with a keyboard and mouse to say the least, and the scanning system is just dreadful. Graphically this game is not bad, but not anything special either, and there were some moments where I had a bit of fun, I guess. On the hole though, this game is a disaster. The gameplay is so piss-poor it's almost cringe worthy. Just don't buy it. Expand
  6. Nov 4, 2013
    Why do you game? That is the issue that Hydrophobia brings to the table. Do you love to develop a character, or be able to explore everything, to feel challenged, or do you love a good story? Or do you play a game based solely off the graphics? If you love graphics then I think you will find this game very engaging. Don't be fooled by the users who have only reviewed this one game. This game is a sad excuse for gameplay.

Hydrophobia reminds me of crappy games from 1994. You see, CD-ROMS were just getting traction and finding their way into everyone's home PC's. CD's gave a lot more space than most games could have filled just a year or two before. So developers began producing games that were movies. You would do a few interactive things, but for the most part you watched a movie on your awesome new CD-ROM device. This is the route Dark Energy Digital took when making this game a mere 17 years after the wave of interactive CD's flooded game stores.

Was it that they didn't really have a game or that they had a great cinematics department and no level designers? We'll never know. The game plays out like this: A strange cut-scene that doesn't explain anything. Then you find your character in her room, you walk 2 steps to a table, then another cut-scene. You walk two steps to the door, then another cut-scene. You walk 2 steps to the elevator, then another cut-scene. You take a few steps to get out the elevator, then another cut-scene. Does that sound like fun to you?

Steam has me clocked in at 1 hour of play time. The only reason I endured that long was a friend was with me and we were laughing at just how bad this game really was. I think if there was a bit more game to play and less movie I could have given it a 6 or 7.

To put it another way: If your in 1st grade and draw a picture of stick figures with crayons; you're teacher would give you an A+ and tell you to take it home to mom to hang on the fridge. If, however, 17 years later you passed a similar picture to your college art teacher; you would get an F and no amount of fake reviews from your friends could hide the dismal work you tried to pawn off as legitimate effort.
  7. Aug 2, 2013
    This game isn't the greatest i've played, however, it is FAR from the worst. Some of the gameplay elements are irritating (some of the other reviewers mention camera control underwater, for example), but overall, it is certainly worth the price of entry. Not sure why people gripe about how "meager" the weapon selection is, but, given that you're an engineer on a boat, and not your standard shooter "Hulking Meatman with an arsenal in his pants", it doesn't surprise me that you don't have too many guns, and given how most of the parts where you need to make with the dealing of deathiness you can usually do something like "shot the exposed cable with the sonic gun to drop the live end down into the water near the guy who needs to die" or, "hack the door on the other end of the room to unleash a torrent of water, then stun the guy who needs to die so he drowns" or... well, you get the idea. Expand
  8. Aug 1, 2013
    A tough game to rate. Action is solid, graphics are still pretty strong and the water physics are also enjoyable. Some of the most enjoyable skills though don't unlock until the final act and you get little opportunities to explore it. Story is average and the game abruptly ends after no real closure of the build up. Worth a look considering the very cheap price it can be found for.
  9. Jun 21, 2013
    This game was boring for me after playing a hour.
    And the Dub, this dub was very bad.
    But he only good thing are the water physics and graphics.
    I am fortunately, because this Game, was in a Steam-Offer.
  10. Apr 18, 2013
    Mind blowing gameplay. This is a fantastic game and you should get it now. You're in for a lot of "whoa!" moments! There are plenty cool mechanics in the first half an hour and I strongly believe it's impossible to play Hydrophobia and not be pleasantly surprised.
  11. Jan 16, 2013
    Almost worth the £1 I payed for it. It is a pity water physics are not implemented in better games, which is an example of the lack of innovation in the video game industry.
  12. Dec 19, 2012
    An attractive athletic girl must work her way through improbable dangerous puzzle rooms, occasionally shooting enemies. It's Tomb Raider in a ship. Except that the girl isn't nearly as interesting as Lara Croft, and the inside of a ship isn't nearly as interesting as ancient ruins. We see glimpses of a dark futuristic world amok with terrorists, but none of it seems related to the immediate tasks of jump, climb, shoot. On the plus side, the water and other visuals are very pretty. The artists did their jobs well. But it feels less like playing a video game, and more like watching a futuristic remake of the Poseidon Adventure. Expand
  13. Dec 7, 2012
    An interesting game, one i rather enjoyed. First and foremost, the water effects are EPIC! This is perhaps the games best aspect.The Hydro-manipulation powers turn up a little late in the game but are still fun to play with and bring a refreshing new way of taking out enemies The rest of the game is fairly average, a few jumping puzzles, some baddies to dispatch. A solid cover system allowing you to round corners, switch sides at doorways and to hang on to floating debris and use it as cover too.

The different types of ammo were interesting until you realise that your unlimited stun rounds are all you need for the majority of the game

All told this is a solid all round game, with nothing particularly special (except the water which is awesome) Definitely worth a go!
  14. Nov 15, 2012
    At start Hydrophobia seems to offer a beautiful futuristic world, a story possibly from okay to great. But when the game actually starts, it slowly starts "melting". The story is pushed too much behind. We never get an idea what's going on outside or what outside even looks like besides our view from balcony at the start of game.

And then the water and puzzles hits. At first I tried to
    use only "Mavi" without waypoint help. But that quickly became annoying. Let alone "explore" mode, you can't even find your way WITH waypoint help. There are some pipes or roads that looks like usable, but not, actually. Or you need to use very weird ways to clear your way. Like shooting electricity cables with gun, instead cutting the power down. Normally I'm open to all kind of realistic and creative gameplay, I even though of that exact thing on previous games I played but with Hydrophobia the game doesn't give you an idea. It's completely unexpected. Another example would be glass, lately discovered only exit out of a place, not breaking with multiple shots without finding out on YouTube, your "sonic" gun actually powers up when you keep pressing fire. On PC, controls are a mess. Water use is a good idea but you're really drowned to it. Moving in water around debris is incredibly hard, underwater moving is very difficult, some parts are very weird places that requires you to go underwater, stay on water, fight, find stuff without even A proper place to stand/cover. There are parts that enemies are coming at you from 360 degrees, you find little to cover, end they never end. Since finding your way is very hard, you're gonna need to do that in combat. Both trying to stay alive and finding a good place to figure things out. "Mavi" use is also sometimes pushing too much. Sure, it's an interesting addition but it's use is painful. After game's actual start, the story pushed too far behind. Game is like a Crysis 2 start, with no end. I wish we had a bit more "general environment play-time". Sure the game's name is "Hydro"phobia, but that doesn't mean you can't get a decent peak to a futuristic world. In this sense I think you find Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Expand
  15. Sep 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Three things that can kill a game: 1) plot, 2) voice acting and 3) STEAM. And that's exactly what killed Hydrophobia, now selling for less than two bucks. The plot could not be any cheesier: it smells late 80's/early 90's tough-macho-action-hero movie. Yes, I know that there is a story behind it, that there is some sort of tech that will end the crisis and save the world, and then the vilains want to use this tech to kill everyone instead, but in the end, you are stuck in this whrecked ship and running for your life while shooting baddies. Yep, that's all you do. So it reminds me of Die Hard (the movie) somehow, but in a ship instead of a building. And silly jokes like "I didn't sign up for this" or "The big guy in heaven must like you" are just so old and over, they should be avoided at any cost. Now the voice acting, ah... the voice acting is just terrible, starting with the whiny main character that sound like she is being kicked, slapped and raped whenever you touch the keyboard or mouse, especially when she is swimming (which she does a lot by the way). It's just so excessive, a never-ending amount of "ugh"s and "ohhh"s and "ahhh"s and annoying groanings and moanings that I would recommend put the voice slider on zero. And finally, STEAM: I have never heard of this game until it showed up on their weekend deal, or whatever they call it. Now STEAM is always advertising those ridiculous 2D platform, point-and-clicks and retro style games, I think they could have done way better on this one, as it isn't such a bad game, at least if compared to other games that STEAM seem to idolize. So, form me, in the end, apart from the awful plot, terrible voice acting and a few issues with controls, it is still a OK game, so I am not going to be too harsh. But story and voices just didn't work for me, it totally broke the immersion. Hopefully they will invest a bit more in professional writters and voice actors in the future, and of course, find some other service to sell it. Either that, or it will drown again just like this one. Expand
  16. Sep 5, 2012
    This is actually a decent little title,and for £1 of Steam in the Daily Deal what a bargain.Once you have a few minutes getting the feel for the controls it playes well,and graphically its great,dont what anyone has been complaining about.I would have paid more for it.
  17. Aug 24, 2012
    Long story short, the only thing Hydrophobia really has going for it are its water physics. In ever other aspect, it is mediocre to poor. Platforming and combat are artificially difficult due to poor controls and camera angles, and there are a host of bugs, such as enemies spawning right on you when you load a checkpoint. The game is extremely repetitive, shooting the same enemies and collecting the same keys ad nauseum. You also don't "control water", one of the game's selling points, until the last half of the final act, which is about 20 minutes from the end. Oh, that reminds me.. Hydrophobia is only 2 hours long. I can overlook a lot considering the price is currently only $5, but if I had paid the original price, I would be pretty angry. Expand
  18. May 7, 2012
    Hydrophobia Prophecy serves as a stunning example of how *not* to make a game. The controls are unresponsive and cumbersome; at one point, I solved a puzzle on accident because the action bindings are so ambiguous that my attempt to do something completely different caused me to perform the correct action. The camera control is equally cumbersome; an early jump puzzle forced me to reload because the camera swung 180 degrees without warning, causing me to leap to my death instead of to safety. The voice acting is awful; the main character can't seem to decide what sort of accent she has, being vaguely Irish most of the time but dancing through Scottist and various flavors of American and Australian, and sounding like a shrieking harpy the whole time to boot. Scoot is a bland stock character, no more and no less. The setting is actually pretty neat, and most of the time I spent playing was to dig up more details on the Queen of the World and the Population Flood. The villains detract from this severely, as they are too cartoonishly evil to be taken seriously;. To whit, the game's setting is struggling with feeding a severely overpopulated earth. The game takes place on the eve of the unveiling a new technology that could feed the masses, ending the crisis. The villains of the story want to use that technology to kill off the masses, as an extreme way to end the crisis--that just letting the technology work properly would also accomplish, minus about six billions deaths. In summation, I bought this game on sale for about two dollars, and feel that I didn't get my money's worth. Expand
  19. May 2, 2012
    Extremely short game. Only 3 levels. You get to kill your first bad guy in level 2 and you get to manipulate water for the first time at the end of level 3. The camera is terrible, i'd constantly find myself struggling to keep the camer above or below water. The controls for climbing are a bit awkward. The story started out decent and was being told well but then it ends all of a sudden with no real conclusion to what happens on the ship or to the people you met along the way. Sometimes you'll jump.move in a direction you didn't want to because the game just decided that was a better idea for you. Swimming is very very annoying; if you're in shallow water the game may let you dive or may not. Some of the collectible are glitched which will make you have to restart your game if you want to collect them all. Overall the game started off well, the graphics and water physics are awesome but once you start playing you come across the many glitches and it just becomes very frustrating at times. Expand
  20. Apr 27, 2012
    I caught this for a steal (£1) on a Steam sale, and I'm dead impressed. As 90% of games these days are run and shoot affairs, the different approach to gameplay feels innovative. Special mention of course to the visuals, the elements (fire, water) effects really are amazing and there's lots of great ideas floating (ha!) around that make the game well worth checking out.
  21. Mar 9, 2012
    I great game, if you can get it for $2.50 on Steam. It has the best water physics I have ever seen, and there are several other unique features, such as:

-The MAVI, and hand-help computer of sorts that has a translucent screen. Through this screen you can see hidden messages on the walls, hack control panels, and access the facility security cameras.

-The ability to manipulate water
    with your mind and use it as a weapon. It looks somewhat similar to water bending from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

-Your gun has a stun mode that can be used to knock out your enemies, or to kill them with repeated blows. This is useful, since it has infinite ammo, unlike the other weapons in the game.

-"Gel" rounds that you can fire at a wall, and when they stick, you can detonate them when you like.

The gameplay feels like a mix between Mass Effect, where you can take cover and shoot at your enemies, and a classic 3D platformer, where you can jump, climb, etc. There's also a bit of puzzle solving as well. To add to it, collectible items and readable documents are scattered about, and completionist gamers will love searching for them. Cons to this game include:

-The voice acting ranges from good, to so- so, to laughable.
    -It's short (but at least it's not expensive).
    -The water abilities are not presented to you early enough in the game for you to have time to enjoy them.
    -The plot can be hard to follow at times (though still rather enjoyable)

I HIGHLY recommend this game if you can get it on sale at Steam. It was worth every penny for me.
  22. Mar 3, 2012
    Damn. This game is cool. The game has water physics, REAL FOR SERIOUS water physics, and it gets really awesome once you gain the ability to manipulate the water. For about 10 minutes. The game is unbelievable short, almost insultingly so. I finished it in 2 hours. The game could have been great if they actually made it last for longer than a movie.
  23. Feb 29, 2012
    This is a cool little game with big bang for your buck,. 4.99 to be exact.. While its nothing special it has a unique charm and really is fun. Its comparable to James Bond Blood Stone mixed with Tomb Raider but way shorter. I will definitely play through this again.
  24. Feb 21, 2012
    As with others I wanted to like this game, but cannot. Controls are bad, story heavily cliched, engine poorly optimized, stupid autosave system combined with bad controls equals heavy frustration and repetitive gameplay, and even then the game is extremely short with no replay value. Water effects are decent, physics are there but far too twitchy with frequent bad calculations, voice acting is passable, but the game has little going for it other than the fact that it isn't awful. The devs haven't done much to be proud of, but at least they needn't be too ashamed. Expand
  25. Feb 3, 2012
    Hydrophobia: Prophecy (PC Steam) 7 /10 Released 2011.05 (DarkEnergyLimited / Microsoft) Played 2012.01 Genre: First person shooter, third person perspective Ratings Overall Rating: 7 -- Mercifully short Controls: 7 Graphics: 9 Story: 3 Audio: 3 DRM: Steam [Game summary] Play the role of a security officer on a luxury liner / city at sea at the initiation of a terrorist attack.... The boat is sinking - taking on water (nudge nudge wink wink) - and you run around meeting all the challenges to enable your escape.... The terrorist plot is â Expand
  26. Jan 31, 2012
    Hydrophobia Prophecy is a third-person shooter and adventure where the protagonist, a young woman that moans a lot, is part of the crew aboard a giant boat that doubles as a city. Together with your handler, Scoot, who's actually quite entertaining to listen to, you find yourself trapped inside the innards of said boat after a terrorist attack. The goal is to survive and find out who is behind the attacks and find out what their goals are as you wade through endless copy-pasted corridors filled with copy-pasted puzzles, enemies, objects and a hell of a lot of water. The graphics are rather good, seeing the water in action each time is sort of awe-inspiring but the rest of the game is a let down. The headache-inducing camera and trichotillomania-inducing controls ruin most of the experience. There are also two different game modes to this game; one is walking around shooting, jumping and swimming and the other is staring through your "MAVI" to find hidden clues and collectibles. The MAVI turns everything into a very bright wire-frame model that allows you to see grafitti which can not be seen with the normal camera mode. This is mission critical and it is also used to discover some of the backstory. Although switching to and from the MAVI is easy, using it is simply annoying. Everything tends to look alike when you're zoomed in and you can only use the movement keys in this mode. Everything else has to be done from third-person. That wouldn't be a problem if the third-person wasn't broken; the controls unresponsive, the game tends to lag during situations where it really shouldn't and swimming is an exercise in frustration as the protagonist tends to pop in and out of water because she won't simply swim towards the mouse like you'd be used to but instead demands that you use a plethora of keys to make her swim through the narrow corridors of the ship. More than once did I lose my sense of direction because of the game constantly forcing me to switch back and forth from the third -person view to the first-person MAVI-view. The combat is unsatisfying. You obtain a firearm somewhere at the beginning and you will find different types of ammo for this gun. Most of them seem useless, the basic round is very deadly and it has infinite ammo. An interesting tit-bit is that you can have combat underwater, which works well if there's enough room to navigate. Apparently, you get to control the water in act 3 (Which is the last act) but I quit at the beginning of Act 3 as I couldn't bear the controls any more. I also thought the scenery was inherently depressing. They only bother showing you the city at the very beginning of the game and at that point, you're not exactly sure what you're looking at yet. I wouldn't recommend this game to any one but the most ardent adventure gamer. Expand
  27. Jan 21, 2012
    Not one of the better action games I have played recently. It may have been my computer, but the graphics were fuzzy to the point that I couldn't see the written directions. It was hard to switch between weapons, and the weapons were meager at best. On the plus side, the story was interesting and some of the gimics like the MAVI were pretty neat.
  28. Jan 1, 2012
    It is a fun and potentially immersive, beautiful graphics especially the effects of water and waves. It has gameplay issues and camera, but nothing that interferes too much. But what this game is most important is innovation in a lot of things, something rare these days.
  29. Dec 11, 2011
    This could have been a very good game. The graphics are nice and the setting is nicely done. The controls are a bit quirky, but not overly so. The voice acting isn't stellar, but it's above average. The hacking system is very cool. All the ingredients are there. But what ruins it is cut-scene hell. You can't take two steps without the game yanking control out of your hands to dump you into yet another damn cut-scene. It completely wrecks the immersion. For all the visuals and the occasional puzzle, this game end up amounting to nothing more than running from one cut-scene to another while avoiding obstacles. There are better and more clever ways to tell a story in a game than to turn it into a movie that's interrupted by brief bouts of running along a completely linear path. By the way, you CAN skip the cut-scenes, but they're about 90% of the game content, so you won't have a clue why you're doing what you're doing if you skip them. Granted, the game is so linear that you actually can play it without having a clue as to why any of it is happening, but what's the point? So, if you can stand just sitting back while the game plays itself and occasionally being allowed to run the character from point A to point B, you might enjoy this for the view. It is pretty. But if you prefer to play a game yourself and actually have choices in what happens, you'll be disappointed in this title. Expand
  30. Dec 5, 2011
    AWESOME GAME! This is a TRUE tomb raider competitor. Its got a great story, good action, realistic water effects! AND A GREAT PRICE! This game should come to Disk in north america instead of digital. It will sell. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO RATED IT BAD! THERE LARA CROFT FAN BOYS, OR THE GAME IS TOO HARD FOR THEM. It is very cool and im enjoying it. The only thing that needs fixed: IT NEEDS A SEQUEL! HAHAHA! Thanks Dark energy for making it. Cant wait to buy Number 2. One more thing, alot of people are rating it bad for 1 reason: ITS NOT ON XBOX 360. Sorry xbox fanboys... Expand
  31. Dec 1, 2011
    My expectations weren't very high for this one, but it turned out to be surprisingly good--a decent bargain priced FPS. It is a respectable title in the shooter genre.
  32. Oct 31, 2011
    I am not normally an adventure gamer (platformers are normally my scene) but i gave Hydrophobia a try and the game sucked me in. The atmosphere was amazing I really felt like I was on a sinking ship. I found the combat a little hard at first but I soon got into it. The thing I liked was the immersive (sorry!) feel. i thought the story was excellent really different. I can honestly say I was disappointed when I finished the game - it took me around 10 hours to complete and for the price I cant grumble at that Expand
  33. Oct 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. played this on my flat mates pc,was great!the water effects were stunning. Dont think i've evet seen water as good,it sweps stuff arind and you can really feel the flow,sometimes you feel as though you're fighting agaibst the current,but i loved that! the water powers and the end boss were cool,just hope that if they make another hydrophobia thete are more water powers,you also get the water powers late on but i think it was how the story fits it in maybe?

i hear that this is coming out on psn sometime soon,wil prob buy it to play it again.
  34. Oct 27, 2011
    I love this game, it is a bargain, so much going on, action, good plot and characters and the water is terrific, it is really worth going for at this price, I am no game expert but is about time people stop ripping this up and gave it your best shot, true you have to work to get the water functions but it is a challenge that I have really enjoyed, go for it you lot it is a no brainer!!!
  35. Oct 27, 2011
    Brill. Another smash from Dark Energy - knocks Bio Shock into space>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  36. Aug 13, 2011
    Nope. This game has myriad premise and fails to deliver in every single field. Water physics do nothing but get in the way. Objectives are simple find-the-button busywork. Platforming is shallow. Protagonist controls poorly. Combat is awful cover shooting against pathetic AI. Weapons feel like **** Narrative and characters are handled with a Call of Duty level of absurdity.
  37. Jul 17, 2011
    I thought Hydrophobia was going to be real cool, anybody would fall for being able to manipulate water right? Well it turns out to be quite disappointing. First, you only get to use your water ability at the very end. Before that, you just have a basic gun with multiple ammo choices but only the sonic is necessary, the rest is pretty useless. At this point the game is fun to play, but nothing original though. Story is simple but convenient and Scoot (your guide) is entertaining, though the heroin, Kate, could sometimes whine less. The water effects are nice and so is the MAVI device and the hacking system, environment designs could more original though and facial character animation is weak (all they do is move their mouths). Upon starting the third act, you get to have your power but all you can do with is move objects around, still fun though. THEN comes the big disappointment: the final boss. This part was just a pain in ***; you actually HAVE too use the electronic ammo, like some kind of E.M.P (otherwise useless for the rest of the game) and when you're done shooting at the big robot (which is powered by weak or too simple AI) you've got to throw explosive barrels at it with your water ability but all you can hope for is actually trying to catch one while you're being shot at by other enemies... and crap: you can't aim while your ability is enabled! Worse than that, when you're finally done with the boss, if you fail to go fast enough and pursue the next events: the damn DEAD machine comes to life again and you have to start over. I really wanted to love this game but I just got too frustrated. All in all: positive are the water physics and graphics (Kate looks pretty good); average: level design, most of the gameplay and story; negative: the reason you actually bought this game for. I still gave it a 6 because the developers care for the game and have made significant updates and for the very low price (bought it for 2.50 euros on Steam). Expand
  38. Jul 11, 2011
    When I first saw this game, I saw a woman manipulating water, and it looked like fun. That's a cool concept right? Especially with Havok-powered physics?

Well, after the first act, it seemed to be the case that I wasn't actually getting any cool water powers at all. Then in the second act, I was like "Nanobot infestation! Now I get cool powers!" But no. I just got to run around taking
    meds. And then at the *very* end of the game I get my water powers, and all I get to do with them is throw some barrels. What a disappointment :(

What's worse than not getting superpowers? Getting 3 minutes of superpowers. You know what's worse than that? Wishing you never actually got them. Apparently I can't aim my gun and use the water power at the same time. Apparently the developers thought that "4" was a good button for switching between water and gun. The only thing you can do with your water powers is move objects, and doing so is awkward at best. The final (only) boss battle relies on accurate use of your brand-new powers, but all you can do is flail around hoping to grab something. Oh, did I mention people are shooting at you at the same time? Too bad you can't aim your gun. Oh wait, you can use water to throw people around right? You can *try*, but they'll probably kill you while you're trying to pick them up. Stick to your gun.

And about the gun... Your gun has infinite "sonic rounds" at the outset, and you really never need to use the other ammo types. The gel rounds are kind of fun, but semi-auto is useless, energy is useless, and rapid-fire you only get at the very end. The game actually forces you to use energy rounds for the boss battle. It's like the developers knew they were useless and needed some way to justify their existence.

The control is awkward at times, especially when swimming, and there's no shortage of swimming in this game. The camera is usually OK, but sometimes you can't point it where you want to look, or it'll aim in such a way that Kate completely blocks what you're trying to shoot at.

Luckily, the first two acts of the game are actually fun to play. When the acrobatic sequences work, they're really fluid. Speaking of fluids, the water effects are indeed very good. Explosive barrels are a mainstay of any game with guns, and by god they're everywhere. On a boat. I don't know why. Scoot's dialog is well-written and entertaining. Kate isn't a stereotypical heroine (though sometimes whinier than she needs to be) .The MAVI device is fun, and the hacking sequences are novel. The story is simple, but it works, and the villians are neo-Malthusians which isn't exactly standard fare. Almost all the problems with this game are in the third act. Scoot isn't there, the level design is suddenly more trite, and most of all you get useless water powers. Unfortunately, this is how you end the game, so it doesn't leave you feeling very satisfied.
  39. Jul 6, 2011
    Hydrophobia is a strange case. I would want to like this game, but all the technical problems in the game just make me not to. This game is more like a short tech demo about the cool water effects the developers has been able to create. Only problem is that the game engine is half-done and broken. There are also lots of nice ideas that could have made this game really good if someone would have placed more effort into the game itself.

The story is from a cheap B class movie, nothing complex or genius. Also the voice acting is from the same movie category. The game is also very short, which in this particular game was not a problem thoughâ
  40. Jul 5, 2011
    I purchased this game on Steam when it was on sale for roughly four dollars and I have to say, it was four dollars well spent. The game design, plot and the protagonist are all very likeable. The whole idea of water being a focal point of the game is enthralling, as we live in a day and age where water is commonly discussed and how to prolong the water supplies we have. These elements of the game drew me in before I actually even bought the game and were the most appealing parts of the game for me.

The actual game itself, while short was very fun and challenging. The fact that the game has a variation of difficulties inside the stock-standard easy, medium and hard made the game accessible for casual (like myself) to extreme gamers. The main thing that let me down was the actual combat of the game. I don't know whether it was my doing but I found it hard to aim, the gun seemed hard to use with constant ammo changes for a variety of situations and new fighting system in the final act of the game seemed buggy. The final boss fight was a real letdown for me and the ending just ... wasn't really an ending.

I don't play a lot of FPS but this game has defiantly rekindled my interest in the whole platform.
  41. Jul 2, 2011
    I do not understand why so many people have rated this game badly.
    I picked it up for around $3-5 on Steam, and I'm pretty pleased with the 4 hours ish of gameplay.
    It was fun, and great for the price.
  42. Jun 30, 2011
    Against the negative reviews on this game I purchased it from Steam and played it and found it was actually a fun and enjoyable game. Not at all like many of the poor reviews.
    The controls were NOT hard like some said, very basic for this type of game. If you have played Tomb Raider you will be at home with Hydrophobia. In fact the controls in the water add to a truly hydrophobic feeling.
    The water and fire was awesome on my GTX560 and very smooth. It's a fun little game for the money. I personally own over 120 games and this is a decent game and not even close to being a bad game. The only things I would change. 1.Light Bloom is a bit too much. 2. There is some sort of fog or haze with the graphics and not clear. 3. Too many cut scenes for my personal gaming taste.

I can't complain for the $3 dollars I paid, but it's worth $10 easy. Just sit back and enjoy it for what it is. I gave it a 7 out of 10.
  43. Jun 24, 2011
    In few words, very good game. Graphics is very good, game has the best water effects i've ever seen, play is smooth and storyline is just nice, maybe the last minutes when you get 'nano-powers' are short and lacks punch. Despite some minor camera bugs and low AI of opponents, game is very enjoyable and better than most today games. This game is surely worth it's price.
  44. Jun 7, 2011
    Some good ideas gone wrong. Instead of using social engineering to build hype and attack the critics, Dark Energy must concentrate on engineering and developing to get a finished product. Less fake reviews and more real work is the way to go.

We paid to get just a beta, and its development has been abandoned in less than one month. The support failed from day 1, with no response about
    the pathetic automatic machine translation used for Spanish, Italian and some another languages.

They did the same with their previous game , WSC REAL 11 for the XBOX 360
  45. Jun 4, 2011
    A surprisingly good Adventure/Third-Person-Shooter game. The story and setting are really original and interesting, the graphics are good, the gameplay is good, the level design is pretty decent. This is the least frustrating and most rewarding game I've played in the last 4 months. At $12 on steam, this is a really safe buy.
  46. May 30, 2011
    As Sir_Kiko said it, "Ignore the haters". That said, I can understand why some people hate this game. For starters, even though I'm fairly certain this game is classified as an adventure game, it's really a "puzzle game with guns". I know, most games that would be classified as that are c*** - but that's because they are imbalanced. Hydrophobia is NOT imbalanced at all. It has the right blend of puzzles and shooting.

That said, if you dislike puzzle games, (or happen to be impatient, or bad at creative thinking) your going to hate half of Hydrophobia, and therefore you'll find no fun in the guns and hate the whole thing. So long as you are 1) at least a bit patient, 2) at least a bit creative and 3) don't mind getting the c*** scared out of you occasionally, you'll probably love this game.

Sadly, this game has absolutely no replay value, since you'll already know all the solutions to the puzzles. There's still "Challenge Mode", though.
  47. May 25, 2011
    Awesome, I could hardly ask for more especially considering the price. I hope to see Dark Energy go on to make even more quality titles & thus far since they've made great effort to support this title post-release, I'm feeling pretty good about the little I spent on it.
  48. May 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So far all the reviews I have read have been falsified it seems. I paid $12 for this game on steam last night. I played it for roughly 2.5 hours and beat it. It has 3 acts, and your help gets wrote out in the 2nd suddenly with no word from him again other than "they're here" or something to that effect. The camera controls are a pain, the swimming controls are horrible. The water effects are awesome but that's just it, it feels like 75% of the production budget went into the water engine and 25% went into everything else. Save yourself the headache and problems and just pass this one up. Oh, for those of you who have already bought the game... the final boss uses wall hacks. I think a 3 out of 10 is generous. Expand
  49. May 21, 2011
    Great game for its price. It has incredible production values for indie game, interesting story premise, very fun gameplay - the water steals the show! Water has never been as interesting and dynamic as it is in this game. Absolutely recommended, for this price you will have great fun. Plus developers are continually improving the game to be flawless, basing their patches on community feedback. Seriously, get it. Expand
  50. May 15, 2011
    This game is an absolute gem! Paid 12$ on Steam and got a game worth far more. The water physics are an absolute blast, and the combat is very satisfying, even if it isn't quite up to Gears and Uncharted. The pace of the game is good too, every time I started to wonder if I have to do that same task again, the game throws a curve ball and introduces a new element. I also love that when the game starts it gives you the option of having objectives marked on your natural HUD, or your mini computer(MAVI). I love exploring, but I can check the MAVI and see where exactly I'm supposed to be going too; great for that immersed feeling! The bottom line is that I had FUN playing this. I didn't feel like it was too easy or difficult on normal. It reminded me what playing a video game is all about. My only other note is that if you're expecting this to match and beat a full major game like Uncharted, it won't. It's a very fun game, but it is not perfect, and it's silly to expect it to be. So grab 12$ and enjoy! It's more than worth it. Expand
  51. May 12, 2011
    8/10 is my real verdict (metacritic would not let me put score, some gibberish about floating point unless I chose that)

I had never heard of the game, so I was just jumping in fast.. In my watery grave. It was so different that it will propably be in my memories for a while. I liked that you don't just go from battle to battle from the start. I'd like to call it an adventure rather than
    action. Maybe I even call it an experience. I liked the exploring, the good looks and even the action. Cover-system was greatly done. There were some complications now and then when shooting behind the crate or whatever.. There were nice moves and I thought that it compares well to mass effect 2 cover-system. It felt sometimes even better. Controls were good. I played on PC, but I used xbox-controller. Rumble was not done good. If I get a load of water suddenly in my face from a hull breach.. I want to feel it. =) Story was a bit hazy. "I'm waking up and now the ship is falling apart. " I would have also liked to see more floating corpses. Enemies were decent bunch of masked bastards but they should have reacted better to my bullets. "come on, how can you be still alive, I just shot a full machinegun clip in you" So my weapon of choice was the common pistol and heatshot. And gel-rounds were useful. Final boss was a chore and I felt the game just ended. Well, I liked the music in the credits. All in all it was fun, different game. Some shortcomings but I was suprised that it really made such an impression. Job well done.
    And like the game says countless times: "Save the world, kill yourself" =)
  52. May 11, 2011
    Despite the criticism I have seen, it's not a bad little game, especially for the price. It's nothing too special... pretty linear, some platforming and cover-based shooting elements, and very pretty fire and water effects. Developers are active on the Steam forum and patching and tweaking based on player feedback, which is always good, although it's not buggy or anything at all. I'd say give it a go if it looks interesting to you. Hopefully they will have a PC demo soon. And I'd recommend a 360 controller for it, it just fits the game better. Expand
  53. May 11, 2011
    For a mere fifteen dollars, Hydrophobia Prophecy brings more to the table than most $60 big titles. Set in the near future, Hydrophobia puts you in the shoes of a young engineer with, as you may have guess, a fear of water. When terrorists attack the city-ship on which she works and lives, it is up to her to save the ship, fight off the terrorists, and overcome her hydrophobia.

I'm going
    to be blunt: It is not game of the year material. It's not even in the running. That doesn't make it a bad game, though. The water effects are cutting edge, as are most of the graphics (although most objects lack real details). It's truly a beautiful game.

Unfortunately, some of the controls are clunky, especially climbing which is frustrating at worst, slightly irritating at best. Shooting is also an issue; albeit a smaller one, it's more than tolerable, but a little annoying.

Almost 70% of the game has been reworked for the PC port, based on reviews from critics and players alike. This is truly what sets Hydrophobia: Prophecy apart from the herd: The fact that the game's developers were watching the forums from day one, offering to assist any players having issues running the game. Even among the top notch valve employees, this is almost unheard of. And the fact that there was a patch less than 24 hours after the games release, addressing a number of bugs and problems only adds more respect. Think about it: a developer that actually cares what the player thinks? What sorcery is this?

For this reason alone, I will be looking forward to anything Dark Energy Digital releases in the future, and it makes Hydrophobia more than worth the pocket change it is selling for.
  54. May 11, 2011
    Ignore the haters. This game is worth a try and I'm sure most of you won't be disappointed. If you don't waste your time trying to compare the water with other games you will be amazed about the possibilities. Overall the game is great. Good graphics, the plot makes sense, and the way the game combines exploration, puzzles and combats. When I pre-ordered this game I was hoping for a good time and I'm not disappointed.

The water is amazing. It's physical effects, the way it may help you (or not) solving puzzles or fighting enemies... simply amazing.

As cons, there are two they should fix:

The bloom effect is exaggerated. It's a cool effect depending on the situation, but it's too much in this game.

The camera when you have to swim through a flooded corridor is horrible. Specially if there are many objects floating around. It's very frustrating and annoying sometimes, but fortunately not enough to kill the fun.
  55. May 10, 2011
    As well as the technical achievements in this game, like the amazing flowing water which has to be seen to be believed, it's a great game to play. The camera and controls feel good, the story is deep and involving, and the combat is great fun - using the environment against your enemies (blowing up gas lines and fuel barrels, shooting down electric cables, blowing out doors with water behind etc) is very satisfying. Great value for less than a tenner. Expand
  56. May 10, 2011
    Horrible game. Avoid & do not fall for the hype! ALL it has going for it is the water FX (which is very shiny & not as good as the water in Just Cause2 using CUDA. Its not even as good as the water in Bioshock1). Camera is awkward & poor it gets in the way a LOT. The developer is basically getting the public to pay to be beta testers which is why this is the 3rd release of this game in just over 6 months! Look at the poor 360 reviews as they are pretty fair & accurate. 3-4/10 is generous I would say this is a tech demo for water FX which 10 years ago would have been given away free with 3DFX gfx cards! Expand
  57. Aug 13, 2011