5.8

1. Sep 8, 2012
    One of the biggest turds I've ever seen. The game attempts to pride itself on being a "Survival/Explorer" as it has the most linear maps of all time. Granted, survival and exploring is an illusion by itself, but the game literally prides itself of being an illusion of an illusion while having their biggest feature be a stamina bar and "Replays". Literally a few minutes in I get owned by enemy A with a gun around corner and after I died, i automatically use a replay to surprise said enemy with an instant melee attack around the corner just to freeze in-place and wait until the enemy shoots me down. LAZY, LAZY programming, obnoxious grain & bloom art and many situations of frustration if you do not know the exact patterns of which the developers wanted you to take. Expand
  2. Sep 9, 2012
    This game is a perfect example on how not to make a game difficult - most of my deaths in this game where the result of enemy encounters. They attempt to make the "combat" hard by limiting ammo for your weapons... ok. that might be interesting for one, maybe two encounters. after that it's just a repeat of the same thing over and over. Shoot the guy with the gun and if you already ran out of bullets try to fool them. Oh now they have body armor - use the clunky free aim mechanics to shoot the one guy in the head... The rest of the game consists of running around in dust and climbing buildings - no challenge in that at all.
    The whole stamina mechanic is yet another attempt to make a boring game harder - you have a limited amount of stamina that gets depleted by running, walking in dust and climbing. This forces you to look for ledges while climbing or higher ground while walking around the city. saving other survivors may see to be rewarding but you don't actually gain anything from it - it feels more like an attempt to make the game longer.

The PC version is a bad port (1.0). The game is stable but in my case tends to forget it's settings, i gave up and just played in 720p windowed mode because it never saved the screen res. Xbox Controller support for this game is broken, KB + Mouse works but derps at some points if you try to climb down.
    The camera controls are probably better on controller - i had a hard time looking around in some hallways with KB+M.

In conclusion ... for me this was a 5h game - i spend at least an hour in total wandering around the dust totally lost because i always had to climb up for air, i spend at least 30 minutes with deaths due to the totally unnecessary combat (28 deaths, i believe 3 of them by actually failing at something other than combat) and the rest of the time with the actual game. The story was ... well a story - if you are actually playing this for the story you are going to be disappointed by the end.
  3. Sep 12, 2012
    I Am Alive is a low-budget post-apocalyptic survival game that fails to deliver due to poor execution. Ultimately, you end up with a rather unremarkable game, even considering the $15 price-tag. This game is essentially a clunky and unforgiving button-mashing combat system tacked on to an equally clunky climbing game. The graphics feel outdated and exist solely within a very bland color palette. It looks nice and atmospheric at first but you quickly wish there was more to this game design than putting grey dust everywhere. The level design is linear and there is only one way to advance. Don't expect a lot of exploration, but do expect to be following on-screen hints as to what to do next -- MOST of the time that is, because you will likely end up scratching your head for a while when the hints fail to guide towards the golden path. The worst thing is definitely the automatic save/retry system, which reloads from one of the few and far between checkpoints while you're playing the game. However, if you have to quit the game and come back later you're likely to have to restart the whole level. This can be both time consuming and frustrating, and contributes to a growing impression that I am not going to bother completing my play-through. It's not like I was expecting I Am Alive to be another Fallout 3, but frankly I wish I was playing the latter. Expand
  4. Jan 6, 2013
    To describe it with one word: this game is FRUSTRATING. The setting is nice, the storytelling and development is good, and graphics are OK. However, everything is spoiled by the crappy save system (or rather, the lack of it). From playing other checkpoint based games, we are used to repeating some areas of a game over and over. But normally, these areas cover some minutes at most. Not here. It can be easily up to 30-45 minutes you have to replay after dying the third time in a row. This might be fine for the few masochist players around. For me, it's no fun at all, it's just VERY boring. Worse: you cannot just quit the game when you want, because this will also force you to restart a LONG way back. To sum it up: if this game had five times the number of checkpoints it has now, it could be a nice game. In the current state, it's for masochist hardcore players only. Expand
  5. Sep 12, 2012
    Another game where player feels more like being a puppet. You can only do things what developers want you to do. No freedom what so ever. Mixed with terrible combat, washed out graphics and forgettable story.
  6. Sep 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hate linear-like-a-corridor games. I hate checkpoint games. I hate games that don't let you save your progress whenever you want. I hate games that despite offering me graphic detail and effects adjustments, it still looks rubbish with everything on maximum, on a high-end machine. I hate games that don't let you have freedom and total control over your character, and only let you perform certain actions in designated areas. Most of all, I hate console ports to PC with a passion. Despite all that, I still wanted to give this game a try, and I have to say I was enjoying it for the first two hours. I had already left the apartment and was chasing the little girl, then my character died while fighting the three thugs. It's fine, I don't mind that, really don't. Just load the last save, right? Wrong. The last save was done at the sewage entrance, something like 90 minutes worth of playtime for me, since I was 'exploring' the map (while pretending it was an 'open world' kind of a game), searching for supplies, and getting used to the game controls. The character is almost always outnumbered and under-equipped, so it will die a lot along the way. Not that I mind that, as I said, but with such rubbish save system, there is absolutely no way I am going to keep playing this game. Shame I paid 15 bucks for that. Still, I'll give it a score of 3, based on the first two hours. But my advice? If you are thinking of buying it, save your money. Go to the cinema instead, if you feel like spending it. *** UPDATE: Having only one bullet in your pistol and a machete, how can you possibly defeat a gang of four thugs, two of them armed with pistols that seem to have infinite ammo? Well, you can surprise kill one of them magic pistol guys, but before you finish, your character is already dead meat. Anyway, I tried it again, and went as far as finding the medicine for the little girl. I was trying really hard to enjoy it, thinking "hey, just do it for the challenge, man!", but the character ended up dying so many times that I got really frustrated and angry, and this is no good. I just deleted the game, and I am not going back to it. Expand
  7. Sep 13, 2012
    Playing the game feels like you are playing it through thick gloves. The controls are very clunky, every action is simple button-smashing (why do I need to ruin my mouse just to open a simple door?) and the combat is very repetitive. There are way too much useless game flow interruptions. For example these hint boxes that stop the game just to tell you something that is obvious or the game already told you at least 10 times before. And it takes ages until the game gives you back control of your character.
    The level design is ultra linear, no choices to make. And after climbing up to locations that can only be reached by professional free climbers you will find a gang of people who are waiting for you. And thanks to the stamina system climbing makes no fun at all.
  8. Sep 8, 2012
    Just now purchased this game. I Thought this would be a good single player expierence. However I must say that i was severly dissapointed. After seeing the option screen wich only excists out of only a few graphic options, my hopes dropped. The game runs terrible even on a high end pc and it just looks bad. The game is riddled with unnecesairy effects and a really hard to controll main character. Now you're probably wondering if the story is any good. Well it isn't. The story is near non excistent and to top it off, the voice acting is really bad. I Would avoid it at for the time being. The problems I have with the game, might just be personal, but if you're thinking about picking this game up. Do it on a 360 or ps3. Expand
  9. Sep 9, 2012
    No support for gtx680 and that prevents me from playing the game entirely... thanks a lot.... complete waste of money if you have a 680 because chances are you cant play it...
  10. Sep 8, 2012
    Well intended and potentially interesting but so poorly executed that it is boring as hell. The colour palette is bland and feels flat and the checkpoint and reset system is broken and unwieldy and simply unfair even on normal. Seriously a bad game that I want to forget.
  11. Sep 25, 2012
    At one point in this game's development Ubisoft got bored and decided to do something else, then forgot all about it. When they inadvertently came across the game a while later, they thought they might as well punt it out as it is and see if anyone was mug enough to buy it. Ok Ubisoft you got me. I bought it. To say this game is linear and repetitive barely does those terms justice, while the gameplay is about as enthralling as a touring holiday of Norwegian public toilets. Yes this is one of these games where even a small pile of rubble is enough to thwart progress if you're not following the strict A to B to C route of lazy developers. Combat is probably the poorest I have ever come across, and that's saying something. Killing a baddie sometimes involves waiting to be told when its the right time, and you'll know that when a screen message appears stating ["Ok now hit E and then mash the mouse button like mad then wait to die"]. if you do manage to survive an encounter with several baddies, you'll find the usual blissful period of happy looting is noticeable by its absence . Four dead bad guys and the booty was... one bullet. One damn bullet. I would have preferred to run away but of course Mr Survivor can't run for more than 10 seconds without collapsing in a sobbing heap and throwing up his dinner of fruit **** and rat. Alan Wake is a Kenyan marathon runner compared to this guy. Lastly there's the city, looks good from a distance but kind of sucks as well. Before the city was largely abandoned a team of crack experts obviously trawled the whole place locking doors thoroughly and coating everything in a hardening resin that locked every object in place for ever more. Normally I play games in the highest setting possible for the challenge, and this game was no exception, at least for a short while. Faced with the above and I Am Alive's bizarre I'll Save When I Feel Like It feature, a balance had to be struck between challenge and just wanting to get this damned thing finished so I'd could try pretend that it all never happened. Expand
  12. Jan 18, 2013
    I tried liking this game! But the graphics are bad, black and white with a cheesy fog effect. the game is very linear for a game with these graphics I was expecting it to be more open. and worst of all is the gameplay. The climbing is "ok" but the combat is just awful.
  13. Dec 25, 2012
    Truly one of the worst Ubisoft games I have ever played. Every aspect of the game play is ruined by just plain cumbersome features. Combat is ruined by the limited ammo(I know its a survival game but seriously :P, stupid QTE for melee kills which make fights unwinnable unless its 1v1 or you have bullets, and a piss poor health system with no noticable regeneration overtime and hardly enough health items to keep you from playing in the gray blurry screen mode 24/7 . Also the platforming element of this game which should be it's key feature is ruined by a poorly implemented stamina system. Because of the stamina system every climb become a puzzle and not the fun kind :P. Finally the story and setting just seem bland. Don't get me wrong i love apocalyptic games, but this one just falls flat the lack of color and film grain while cool ideas look pretty horrid in this game.

Overall i would recommend passing up this game.
  14. Dec 21, 2012
    Alternate title: Climbing Simulator 2012

In this game, You're a total badass that can't hold onto a ledge with foot supports for more that 15 seconds.

Wait what?
  15. Jan 3, 2013
    Not a very good game. For under £5 it's not a big loss, but the controls are terrible and the cameplay mechnics are very weak. It's also completely linear - which is about the opposite of what I want in a survival game.
  16. Jan 20, 2013
    I´m **** would be right title of this ! If you get it for less than 2, 50 just have a try. But it´s absolutely idiotic scripted, and after the climbing over the bridge i try for plenty times to brake the gate lock chain, but its only hurts my finger and my conscious is gone... Somehow it reminds me of that ugly atmosphere of Alan Wake, even the woody figure movings. So there are lot much better gems to play, dudes Expand
  17. Jan 1, 2013
    Watch out for that old lady she is a nut case and oh man there just happens to be a med kit on the ground in the middle of the street. How did anyone miss that??
  18. Feb 5, 2013
    Okay, this game has it's merits, but as I'm rating below the mid-point, I'll talk about it's bad points. First of all, the 'open-world' part of the game is a lie, all maps are split into even arcade-like segments with a particular path. A full city? Yeah, but you can't go down that street, that other street has a massive hole in it and that street in the distance has a car pileup. So you end up snaking your way through a city in a predefined path. Another of it's bad points is inconsistency: There was a blocked road, with an ambulance in the foreground, so I was able to climb the ambulance and climb over the blocked path, great! Then I was doing a mission where I had to chase a little girl and I saw a path that would have cost me some valuable time, or another ambulance model, so I figured I'd hop the ambulance as before and cut her off but no... the ambulance was just an ambulance coloured invisible wall. I can climb some things but not others, and this was really irritating. Okay, here's the big one, the one that made this game a no-deal for me: You're climbing a rickety structure that looks as if it's going to fall over, you're feeling equal parts of vertigo and tenseness caused by the height and the environment; suddenly, you take a wrong step, and you fall to your death... but you don't, because every single ledge has an invisible wall stopping you from falling, so all the vertigo and tenseness disappear and you actually just don't care about climbing any more because it lacks danger. Expand
  19. Feb 22, 2014
    Pretty bad. The premise was promising but a combination of terrible combat mechanics and the totally linear make this game a chore to play. It's a shame really because some of the ambient and environment graphics are very nicely done. Some of the puzzle/jumping sequences are somewhat fun and challenging but perhaps they stand out because of the incredible badness of the other parts of the gameplay. Expand
  20. Mar 2, 2014
    Another boring game with horrible visuals, its all black and white and there is some grain filter on that I couldn't turn off. Played it for about 20-30 min and just quit how bad it was.
  21. Jun 15, 2014
    The game keeps players reloading and reloading and then forced them to reload the WHOLE level!I'm not sure if I've chosen the hardest difficulty.No matter,if you are a person without very much attention to the score,collectibles and achievements,just adjust the difficulty into easy to "just enjoy the story".
    玩这个游戏难免会重装存档,再重装,之后强制从整个关卡开始部分重玩!我不确定是否选择了最高难度。无所谓了,如果你是个对评分,收集品和成就之类东西没多少兴趣的人,把难度调到“简单”,“欣赏故事就是了”。

Resource and climbing settings are terrible enough,alongside the saving game system,to destroy players‘ patience to keep trying to proceed.
    资源和攀爬设定实在可怕,这些和存档系统足够把玩家的耐心摧毁,让他们放弃继续尝试前进。

Climbing up a pole seems very hard and strength consuming,while climbing a ordinary,strong ladder also difficult enough to cost a bottle of water?Oddly,the character can open his inventory,grab a pill or a bottle of water and have it while climbing a pole,with stamina decreasing.I though it is an action game,right?
    爬杆或许比较累人,会消耗大量体力,但是爬一个普通的,完整,结实的梯子也会费劲到要花费一瓶水吗?奇怪的是,角色在爬杆子消耗大量耐力值的同时居然可以打开背包,拿出药片或是一瓶水然后吃或喝。我认为这是个动作游戏,对吧?

Lost patience to try more,when I played this.
    玩的时候,我已然没有了耐心继续尝试。

The idea and the graphics style are already good,and the whole game should have been better.
    创意和画面风格已经够好了,但是游戏整体本该更好的。
  22. Nov 1, 2013
    It's just so close to being good! The environment and storyline is pretty decent, but they failed at execution. The game is 100% linear, which gets boring fast. The combat is extremely repetitive and is only difficult because of the bad combat controls. And the worst part! The checkpoints are often very far apart, so, if you die in combat because of the awful controls, you get to repeat more repetitive climbing challenges for the privilege of trying the combat again! Expand
  23. Nov 8, 2013
    Let's wrap this up because I don't wanna take time in rating a game that hasn't been programed with "time taking" either (you catch my drift):

Graphics:
    Who on earth can just look for 2 meters and then sees everything blooming except for those who are really near sighted? (no offence!) I understand if one can't see while in a heavy dust cloud but other than that you should be able to
    see your surroundings but oh, I can see why the developers thought of that, so no one can see those crappy graphics and little detail in the game. Structures, buildings, junk and so on is repeatedly used actually there is no shame in that but it hasn't been done well.

Since graphics isn't everything...

Story:
    Yeah... well. Let's leave it at that.

Climbing:
    Your character can climb. That is good. Like Lara Croft? Certainly not! Your guy is just a very shoddy copy of the vibrant lady you got to know over the years. Additionally you have an annoying stamina bar which always reminds you how done you are climbing. This might be a nice gimmick but since you can't by any chance check out your supposed route because you are half blind (see above) you will fail several times and that's not even your fault!

Combat:
    Again, repetitions. Combats always replay themselves. Kill the guy with a gun, then the others. Or surprise the one guy with the gun, shoot the other guy also having a gun, intimidate the rest or slay them. Body armor was also introduced and is just another annoyance so you can free aim btw I played the PC version but if you are suddenly forced to use free aim you know that hasn't been programmed well either and hit the guy in the head either with a crossbow or something else. Also if you're trying to run away and jump down 1.5 meters the game just won't let you losing armor or worse die. The game does not create a realistic environment in which you can move as you wish but limits the player to the linear crap it is pulling :(

Controls:
    Way to complicated. A million buttons for someone who actually can't do jack.

Why 2/10 points?

The idea of the game is good and I like the protagonist even if he is not displayed interesting for the player. But you could've done something and this game HAD potential. This is why 2/10 points.
    BOO for the programmers though and I can't understand the sentence: "If you want to do survival, you do it right" (in a positive sense, by gametrailers.com in their review trailer). They absolutely DIDN'T DO it right!
  24. Feb 17, 2014
    Just got bored with the mechanics and couldn't get through the first fight. is it that interesting to add micromanagement to climbing sequences? fights.. meh.
  25. Jan 29, 2013
    the combat in this game is utterly FRUSTRATING because the interface of the game is very bad and most of the time, user input lags or is not accepted by the game. same goes for the climbing. very unpolished and unnecessarily hard because of bad programming and/or design. on top of that, the bad gameplay mechanics are scarcely ever explained or outright do not work the way they are explained... its infuriating. If you decide to play do get ready to do the same fight over and over and over again... its just that bad. also, the camera spins in stutters, no free looking. very consoly feel. nice story and setting though. Expand
  26. Jan 26, 2013
    Terrible, monotonous and boring experience. Game has potential but its completely unused and there's nothing amusing in this game. Story is crappy and doesn't bring any excitement . Thanks God i have played it at my friends place because it would be such a waste of money.
  27. Jul 7, 2014
    General Overview: While the game has a great concept and provides some unique game play it is SO buggy as to be unplayable. The background flickering and disappearing is only the beginning. This game could have been great but the execution is horrible and broken

TL;DNR: 3: Great ideas with HORRIBLE execution. Avoid even on sale. There may be a mod out there to solve the MANY issues,
    but frankly that is not worth the effort - there are many more functional survival games that work and are enjoyable.

Technology/engine: 0: Simply horrible.

AI: 0: Not a lot of variety and simply not fun or responsive.

Graphics: 0: While the game has an interesting but very bland palette, the backgrounds flicker in and out, complete loss of ambiance and the textures are muddy at best. When you don't move it looks great but take a step into flicker land and its horrible.

Sound: 5: Serviceable

Soundtrack: 4: Mediocre

Voice acting: 6: Decent but stilted delivery.

Crafting: N/A

Customization: 4: Marginal

Game play systems: 7: Great ideas with the intimidation concept and the stamina system and climbing is unique but the execution is simply not fun.

Controls: 5: Serviceable, nothing unique

Story: 7: What I could tolerate seems okay but it does very little to immerse you due to the overwhelmingly HORRIBLE execution of the foundation of the game.

Multiplayer: N/A
  28. Nov 30, 2012
    It is a good topic for the game developers but the inappropriate use of the elements makes it somewhat terrible.The idea of putting climbing system in a survival game is smart in some senses but the gameplay needto be more ample.And remove something troubles players so it can be a good game.
  29. Jan 20, 2013
    A game that attempts to be realistic but doesn't do so well at it. It starts out okay, but as soon as you get used to the gameplay and the mechanics, it turns into pure math. It consists of climbing and combat scenarios, both poorly done. Climbing limits how much time you can spend hanging on a ledge before it starts permanently decreasing that time, trying to add to the difficulty and realism but doing nothing except being annoying and not letting you get immersed in the game. Combat seems fine too, but a few encounters later, you see everything you need to see, every fight is practically the same - intimidate with gun until they back to a ledge or a fire, kick them/ initiate a button mashing quicktime event which is unwinable if there is more than one enemy, shoot when they start thinking you're bluffing. There is no option to settle those situations peacefully like conversations or bribing, stealth and there's no option to run away as they will catch you with ease while you're sprinting. Both the climbing and combat quickly devolve into repetitive chores. Only play the game if you are a fan of post-apocalyptic settings which focus on survival and the "monster within", you just may be able to enjoy the washed out graphics and the cliched, somewhat predictable story. Expand
  30. Jan 21, 2013
    Nice graphics(ish), ok(ish) story, crap combat, poor game play. If i could get my money back I would..............................................................
  31. Jan 30, 2013
    When I got this game, I had some very high hopes. Intimidating enemies, scavenging for survival, all in an immersive post apocalyptic setting. Turns out, its not even close to my expectations. Combat is repetitive, with every gun encounter being shoot or intimidate, and every melee being a button-mash. I find it hard to believe that EVERY time you swing a machete you get into a pushing contest with the enemy. Furthermore, bullets are so scarce that you usually have only one or two shots in any encounter, forcing you to use the **** free aim. However, all the other NPC seem to have infinite bullets, even the crazy grandma who tells you she is "packin'" Meanwhile, the scavenging consists of running around looking for lit up stuff in a cluttered, non interactive environment. The items you get either just heals you, gives stamina, or are just game objects to be handed over to random people you meet. Then,there's the gameplay, which basically consists of climbing convenient rungs of reinforced steel and water pipes. It get boring fast, especially with the horrible PC controls. And did I mention everything is so friking linear? There is only ever one way of doing anything, from climbing a tower to taking out enemies. Every route other than what they want ends in a failure.
    The most disappointing part for me though, is the environment. Everything seems to be super-glued to the ground, from trash to frail cardboard boxes. It really takes away from the experience. Furthermore, the environment only has one route anywhere. Pretty much every other interesting alley or doorway seems to be conveniently blocked. Thus, the city feels like a long, long corridor. It doesn't even look that good, rendering the dev's attempts at creating cinematic shots pointless.
    in conclusion, this game disappoints, from its mediocre story to the crappy combat, and the PC port only adds weird camera motions and **** controls to the mix. So contrary to the title, this game feels dead.
  32. Feb 17, 2013
    I don't know if it was just me, but this game is broken, there were many textures that wouldn't load, the 'un loaded gun' method wouldn't even work, and because of some of these errors I wasn't even able to fully play the game. This game isn't bad, it's just broken.

Bold and fresh, despite its shortcomings. Moreover, if the original vision of the developers had been fully fleshed out, this would have been one of the best games of the year. [November 2012]
    Original survival horror is perfect in setting up a grim atmosphere. You can find many flaws in the game but there are very strong moments which make the game worth trying. [Nov 2012]
  3. Oct 28, 2012