1.7

Overwhelming dislike- based on 3986 Ratings

1. Dec 19, 2012
    Bought this game a few months ago after all of the hype. Probably the worst $25 I have ever spent on any game in my entire lifetime. The developers say "This game isn't pay to win!" Yet you can spend REAL money, to buy items in-game, to help you beat another player that you fights, or help fight of an oncoming hoard of zombies. Who the **** adds in a store where you can buy **** to aBought this game a few months ago after all of the hype. Probably the worst $25 I have ever spent on any game in my entire lifetime. The developers say "This game isn't pay to win!" Yet you can spend REAL money, to buy items in-game, to help you beat another player that you fights, or help fight of an oncoming hoard of zombies. Who the **** adds in a store where you can buy **** to a ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME. The whole ****ing point is to survive off the land, and find stuff around the map. Not to mention the terrible optimization of the game, accompanied with absolutely **** graphics that looks like my dog has just eaten something green and then shat it our onto the computer screen. The developers are full of lies, and there isn't ONE thing that is remotely true on their webpage or steam page.

Personally I do not even know why Valve added this game to steam, or why the developers are still updating the game, or why the fanboys can't just get the **** over the fact that they WASTED their $25-50, and stop defending the **** stain that lies on my computer screen.

Please. PLEASE! Do not even bother thinking about buying this game, but if you do, don't bother asking for a refund, because they will just blacklist you.

OK I have said enough.
  2. Dec 19, 2012
    Scary thing is I almost bought this piece of crap! Before I clicked the "purchase" button and confirm payment I decided to check the death penalty. If it was like DayZ, no problem... That is when I saw 1 hour of waiting time, 12 hours planed... 5 character slots. Bugs, bad animation, recycled crap, tiny map... Then I found out about the Big Rigs game and the head honcho who worked there isScary thing is I almost bought this piece of crap! Before I clicked the "purchase" button and confirm payment I decided to check the death penalty. If it was like DayZ, no problem... That is when I saw 1 hour of waiting time, 12 hours planed... 5 character slots. Bugs, bad animation, recycled crap, tiny map... Then I found out about the Big Rigs game and the head honcho who worked there is the same as the one working in "the War Z". I quickly closed it, took it out of my wish-list and spread to all my friend virtual and real how crap this thing is.

AVOID IT.
  3. Dec 19, 2012
    Worst game I've ever purchased and the one and only time I've ever gotten a refund for a game purchase. I won't be buying another product from hammerpoint studios as a result of their shady business methods and blatant false advertisement.
  4. Dec 19, 2012
    Fantastic idea, ruined by the complete lack of anything that defines a "game". It's simply not playable in this state. If you can manage to not be shot the second you get close to anything interesting (read: an item), you're in for the treat of buggy, lag-filled, horrifyingly bad melee combat with poorly animated zombies. It's not all bad: when my friend and I teamed up to search the cityFantastic idea, ruined by the complete lack of anything that defines a "game". It's simply not playable in this state. If you can manage to not be shot the second you get close to anything interesting (read: an item), you're in for the treat of buggy, lag-filled, horrifyingly bad melee combat with poorly animated zombies. It's not all bad: when my friend and I teamed up to search the city for interesting items and weapons, we had a great time defending each other from zombie attack. We found armour, backpacks, and food, and congratulated each other on our fine zombie-killing form. It was good. We were then gunned down by an AK47-wielding player from the bushes for literally no reason. We didn't even have guns.

Need more? If you create more than ten characters they do not spawn with anything, even a pathetic flashlight. Died? Four hour respawn unless you want to pay REAL MONEY to respawn immediately.

It's a terrible PVP game marketed as a groundbreaking zombie apocalypse simulator. Do not buy it. If you have, get your refund from Steam. God help this developer.
  5. Dec 19, 2012
    Well, let's see, the game proposal is perfect, a zombie MMO in a apocalyptic world. It were fun in the beginning, in the beginning of November. After that the game become crazy. LOT of hackers, LOT of players who just wanted to kill everybody without reason. I had real fun in the beginning. Now the game looks like **** Their promises looks like "We will do that...just 5 more minutes"Well, let's see, the game proposal is perfect, a zombie MMO in a apocalyptic world. It were fun in the beginning, in the beginning of November. After that the game become crazy. LOT of hackers, LOT of players who just wanted to kill everybody without reason. I had real fun in the beginning. Now the game looks like **** Their promises looks like "We will do that...just 5 more minutes" nothing is working. Skills, engine, animations. nothing at all. I miss my 29 USD. Hope the game gets better, but for now, I've lost money. Expand
  6. Dec 20, 2012
    this game is a sh*t. The programmer are layer and sh*ts.
    And now they have been accused of plagiarism.
  7. Dec 20, 2012
    Terrible game, don't buy it. Shady company, regret every penny and second I wasted on it.
    The pictures on steam are staged and show game events that will never happen.....and a new update makes you PAY to revive your character within 4 hours...
  8. Dec 24, 2012
    A few days ago the lead developer put up a post in the forums asking everyone to go to Metacritic and give their reviews. the vast majority of the forum goers have come here to tell everyone what a horrible game The War Z has become ... not how it started horribly.

In all fairness, the first 15 days of development were the most promising ... after that it was very slow going and none of their road map goals in development were met on time. After the Steam fiasco many people (who were lied to) came here as well to give their obligatory 0's as the game they bought was nothing like the game which was advertised - a fair review considering what they got vs. what they were promised.

This game HAD potential to be a great first step in the realm of Zombie MMOs but has since declined into a state of patching minor aspects only to unpatch them and call them optimizations, nullify implemented mechanics (pay2res or wait on a 4 hour respawn - an obvious cash-grab) and essentially try to cover a PR disaster of apocalyptic proportions. On top of the fact the lead developer was served with a trademark suspension a month before releasing the game to Steam for sale, there now seems to be a lot of speculation of whether or not they will simply change the name or completely cease and desist. I had such high hopes, but the development team is less competent than disaster relief in America. Hammerpoint Interactive and Sergey Titov should be legally bound to stop making video games.
  9. Dec 21, 2012
    Obviously this "game" is a scam. Computer game equivalent of the Nigerian e-mail scams that circulate the net, I warn you about this "game" stay away from it, you don't release this stuff and say it's a complete game which they did to make a quick buck, stay away.
  10. Dec 22, 2012
    This is seriously, the best game I've played all year. I have no idea how this masterpiece has a 1.1 average. WTF are you people playing. Obviously not the War Z. The animation quality is stellar and it makes combat a great pleasure. It's tough, but once you have a weapon it really feels like an authentic zombie survival experience. But the thing which most impressed me is how fair theThis is seriously, the best game I've played all year. I have no idea how this masterpiece has a 1.1 average. WTF are you people playing. Obviously not the War Z. The animation quality is stellar and it makes combat a great pleasure. It's tough, but once you have a weapon it really feels like an authentic zombie survival experience. But the thing which most impressed me is how fair the micro transactions are. You get useful upgrades and cosmetic options which I feel are really worth the money. It's great to run around with a firemans helmet and enjoy the game with a couple of friends. Well worth the money for the game and the countless dollars I've spent on revivals, hats and virtual food.
    A few more notes on this game: I LOVE how fall damage works, it's so realistic, and I like how it makes you think creatively to cross a river. I mean, swimming makes no sense, the water would probably be infected.
    Overall, a great experience which I would thoroughly recommend to anyone interested in quality fps zombie survival mmos.
  11. Jan 23, 2014
    I'm giving it a one as the game is playable. That's the only reason as the game is still suffering from monumental bugs, issues and other problems (hackers). It has now been more then a year and it hasn't improved a bit. The cars, "super-zombie" and the hilariously buggy "flanking" zombie are nothing that actually helps the game.

PVP oriented "survival" game and there is a button to

PVP oriented "survival" game and there is a button to simply press F10 to immediately get into the shop. Don't know if they removed it but I would wager they did as their development team seem very schizophrenic at best.
  12. Dec 25, 2012
    The developer thinks we are a bunch of cattles and he can herd our wallets towards their bank account.
    I played the game and all I can say is Thank God they give refunds...
  13. Dec 25, 2012
    Altough it is completely cool the idea to make a awful Day Z ripoff and call it "your game", this game is completely unfinished (if it is ever going to be finished because of these controversies) , the zombies are like a water bottle on your desk: it's completely useless you want to drink it
    the true enemy of War Z are the other players: childish moderators who will only kill you at any time, give themselves godmode and noclip, and permanently ban you if you say to them stop, if you try to make an appeal on their forums, you will also get banned from all their network (War Inc, for example, which i will never play again because of War Z), also counting the awful game engine, you may be now thinking that i'm one of these people who judge the games by its graphics, the graphics in War Z however, are so badly made that the game even lags and crashes because of it,
    It is also rageful seeing the gamers at twitch TV getting randomly banned for no reason and the lies the devs spread on Steam, all the photos on the Store are completely faked, thus all the player models and weapons in the game are from War Inc,

The name of this game should be The Money Z, EVERYTHING in War Z is real money, even creating a clan and setting up a server needs real money, also when you die, all the items you brought from the store will be deleted, which also shows how money-grabbing sillies the developers are, Valve does the same thing, but they do it in a good way though, TF2 for example uses real money, but you don't lose them when you die and Valve uses their money for lots of things, donations, charity, setting up events, interviews and etc. while the War Z as shown, the devs get the money to themselves and only, Hammerpoint is the PewDiePie of gaming industry.

The War Z is only full of bad things: You cannot swim, childish moderators, useless AI, you cannot swim, awful PVP system, infinite amount of bugs and glitches, the ban wave used by the devs, hackers, big lies about it on the steam store, Hammerpoint gives Indie Game developers (such as me and my best friends for example) a bad fame, staying that Indie game devs only care about money, which is not true, we all care for our fans and community, while the War Z devs care about the money, saying "Screw the community and players, let's grab the money and ban them if they attempt to talk to us, also let's hide ourselves on the internet, so if people attempt to sue us, they will not know out real name!"

did not understood this big wall of text you probably didn't even read?, heh....

DON'T buy this game, if you even call this abominable torture method a "game"

Action 52 is GOTY compared to the War Z
  14. Dec 29, 2012
    This game is terrible. There was so much hype for it because of the images that were released, which looked better than the already existing zombie MMO game, DayZ. Upon its release, the game was worse than many thought. Tons of bugs, hackers and overall, little effort put into the game. It was put up on the online game retailer Steam, despite being in beta, but was then taken down. ThisThis game is terrible. There was so much hype for it because of the images that were released, which looked better than the already existing zombie MMO game, DayZ. Upon its release, the game was worse than many thought. Tons of bugs, hackers and overall, little effort put into the game. It was put up on the online game retailer Steam, despite being in beta, but was then taken down. This game only deserves a '1'. Expand
  15. Dec 31, 2012
    I will be comparing this to dayz. Dayz is a mod in alpha for free. warz is a game for $15 dollars and no sign of it being a alpha or beta and the devs lied about the features then afterward blamed it as a misunderstanding of the consumer . This game deserves nothing not even a single dime .
  16. Jan 1, 2013
    An appalling attempt at a game, with extremely Bad customer service. Never seen such a blatant rip off of another game. In all honesty the DayZ mod is a more fulfilling game than the WarZ as well. After seeing previous games the developer has been involved in im not surprised this ended up in such a poor state. Please don't waste your money on this poor excuse for a game or support it in any way.
  17. Jan 1, 2013
    Terrible gameplay, bad controls, boring gameworld, tons of bugs, tons of cheaters. This game will force you into PVP as it contains no PVE. You are looting and scavenging to stay alive against other players. Simple as that.
  18. Jan 4, 2013
    Unfinished game, terrible developers with bad business practices who continue to ignore the majority and refer to them as the "vocal minority", bugs all over, pay to win, infested with hackers and a terrible fanbase that calls you a Day Z fanboy if you have any criticism. Avoid this game like the black death!
  19. Jan 4, 2013
    (A SCAM) This game is an absolute waste of time, money, and effort these developers (Hammer Point) are just a bunch of scum bags who have lied and try convince you with lies. The developers have lied and promoted themselves with false advertising. Another thing that you must consider when thinking about buying this game is that it is 15$ and you can NOT get a refund if you have bought this(A SCAM) This game is an absolute waste of time, money, and effort these developers (Hammer Point) are just a bunch of scum bags who have lied and try convince you with lies. The developers have lied and promoted themselves with false advertising. Another thing that you must consider when thinking about buying this game is that it is 15$ and you can NOT get a refund if you have bought this game which is ILLEGAL! It is also to be considered that they say it is a complete project which is totally WRONG. In fact this game is broken as hell so many glitches and hackers, they even added a payment shop where you have to pay REAL money to buy items, and by no means ordinary items. For an Example, you could buy ammo, melee weapons, medical supply's, and even some OP gear. Which is all completely what kind of f***ing survival game!?! They even had the balls to name there game WARZ which is very similar to the mod DAYZ, which came out first and was practically the same concept. The developers are also some of the worst kind of people you will ever meet, or hear about they are some big douche bags who have had some cases of BANNING random players for no absolute reason at all! They even say that there the first zombie survival game which is complete BS. With all the info i have presented you with I would you to think twice about buying this miserable pile of crap. Expand
  20. Jan 7, 2013
    Before playing, I had a lot of excitation about how the game could be really, really good. It had a lot of promises, and looked like some kind of zombie survival-RPG. Well, now I'm going to compare only one aspect with DayZ : DayZ is a mod. So it's free. If you don't like it, you only say : "Well, I wasted some time, it's nothing !". With WarZ, you just waste a lot of money and throw itBefore playing, I had a lot of excitation about how the game could be really, really good. It had a lot of promises, and looked like some kind of zombie survival-RPG. Well, now I'm going to compare only one aspect with DayZ : DayZ is a mod. So it's free. If you don't like it, you only say : "Well, I wasted some time, it's nothing !". With WarZ, you just waste a lot of money and throw it away !
    And guess what ? You have options to get more stuff by taking a more expensive version of the game. I'm glad I only played it on a friend's computer who bought it... I saved up some money.

To resume : just buy ArmA 2 and download DayZ instead. It may be just a mod, but at least, you won't be giving money to a dishonest company who sell a game based on a Free to Play engine to an outrageous price for the quality of the final game. Cherry on the top, the game isn't even cheat-protected ! It looks like they sold a game and then were like "Meh, whatever, we have the cash : that's all we care about".

Bad developers, bad game, well... Everything is awfully bad with this game and those who made it. I would be glad to be able to note below 0... Sadly, I cant.
  21. Jan 8, 2013
    Gameplay:
    The controls are to hard.
    Everything looks a bit awkward and unnatural. the character animations are to be desired. The combat animations are unkind, hit a Zombie on his head, go back 2 steps wait for the blowback and hit again. The places with the best loot, are mostly besieged by "bandits" who do not care about survival. They play this game like a pvp shooter. Who can
    Gameplay:
    The controls are to hard.
    Everything looks a bit awkward and unnatural.
    the character animations are to be desired.
    Who can blame them? The developers do nothing against it.

graphics:
    The graphics can be described in 2 sentences.
    Not the newest, but solid.

Conclusion:
    The great excitement before the release was unfounded.
    Warz is not a good Zombie survival.
    Normally I would say the game is for players want to kill players and zombies without an atmosphere, but it's not worth it for that price.
    There are lots of other shooter.

Therefore thumbs down for Warz!
  22. Jan 8, 2013
    The game itself is enjoyable. The problem is the developers blatant lies, lack of information and now as of Jan 4th (I believe) with the implementation of the 'Fairfight' system Temp bans (Pending review for perm ban) and Permanent bans are being handed out left and right to be Legit and Unlegit players if they're unlucky enough to be accused of 'hacking' in game after killing anotherThe game itself is enjoyable. The problem is the developers blatant lies, lack of information and now as of Jan 4th (I believe) with the implementation of the 'Fairfight' system Temp bans (Pending review for perm ban) and Permanent bans are being handed out left and right to be Legit and Unlegit players if they're unlucky enough to be accused of 'hacking' in game after killing another player.

The game has the potential to be great, it's the people behind it with their inexcusable unprofessional behavior that are ruining this game.
  23. Jan 9, 2013
    worst game ever made, the company are scamers they care only about takin' ppl money. they smell bad, they are trash, they are russians and they have no brain
  24. Jan 12, 2013
    **** This Game. I have never seen such a waste of money in my life. I wish I could give a lower score. I repeat, **** this game. If You buy this game then u are clearly a deranged **** face. **** this game.
  25. Jan 17, 2013
    Ignore the nerd rage, this game is COMPLETELY underscored. All these people bashing it are comparing it to Day Z, that's all they can do. That's like comparing Battlefield and Call of Duty, same concept, different game, both good. This game is in development and raters should grade it's gameplay and its potential COMBINED. Yes this game its problems but it is so much fun to play! Trying toIgnore the nerd rage, this game is COMPLETELY underscored. All these people bashing it are comparing it to Day Z, that's all they can do. That's like comparing Battlefield and Call of Duty, same concept, different game, both good. This game is in development and raters should grade it's gameplay and its potential COMBINED. Yes this game its problems but it is so much fun to play! Trying to survive and keep yourself away from people while looting towns is intense at times. It also has ton of potential when they add even more to this game, so go out and try it, and just ignore these ignoramuses. Expand
  26. Jan 30, 2013
    I can;t tell you how bad this game is, It just isn't enjoyable, it's boring and literally I'll rather be doing homework than playing this piece of ****
  27. Jan 29, 2013
    ...... I am speechless .... i mean .... what?!?! ... A terrible version of DayZ, the description lied about the content, the game is clearly beyond anything called finished, copy and pasted TOC's, this is just a bunch of people after your money for doing nothing, they should be shut down. Just glad Steam not only gave a refund to all who bought it, but also let them keep the copy, giving...... I am speechless .... i mean .... what?!?! ... A terrible version of DayZ, the description lied about the content, the game is clearly beyond anything called finished, copy and pasted TOC's, this is just a bunch of people after your money for doing nothing, they should be shut down. Just glad Steam not only gave a refund to all who bought it, but also let them keep the copy, giving some little benefit of doubt to the developers (i use developers extremely loosely). As much as it can be said that this has potential, it is already realized in DayZ and do not worry as the mod is coming out as a stand alone game very soon, worth waiting for that. Oh and talk of a port to console is also on the books! Expand
  28. Mar 21, 2013
    Buy Left 4 Dead or DayZ instead. Actually, Plants VS Zombies is a better zombie survival game than this one (If you can even call PvZ a zombie survival game rather than a puzzle game). This game is horrendous, do NOT buy it.
  29. Feb 12, 2013
    This is a great game, the Dev team is now doing a great job! I haven't seen a hacker in a LONG time, Server Hoping is now almost impossible, new items being introduced into the game, lots of map work/implemented features being added/improved. The game has improved ALOT since it was released into testing. But everyone till needs to remember it is in BETA, it's not officially released yet.This is a great game, the Dev team is now doing a great job! I haven't seen a hacker in a LONG time, Server Hoping is now almost impossible, new items being introduced into the game, lots of map work/implemented features being added/improved. The game has improved ALOT since it was released into testing. But everyone till needs to remember it is in BETA, it's not officially released yet. It's not a clone either like everyone says it is...It's called Competition! They have every right to create a game that is similar to DayZ, all they wanted to do was try to be in the market as well. Expand
  30. Apr 1, 2013
    My worse gaming experience ever... I've got this game a few months back for my wife. She's a fan of zombie games and I browsed war z a bit. "Obviously didn't do enough research" I got the game on her steam and played with it a bit. Keep in mind that the things I'm about to mention are about 3-4 months ago.

1 In character selection/creation... You are stuck playing as a male character

1 In character selection/creation... You are stuck playing as a male character and the female character is locked and needs to be unlocked. "My wife start getting upset about it already"
    2 There are only PvPvE servers and no PvE servers. So the moment you log into the server you may get killed instantly by another player.
    3 Every time you die, you loose everything you've horded "We lost hours worth of items to some random player"
    4 You are stuck with a 1 hour cooldown before you can log back in.
    5 Many things in game shop (assuming you are spending money) are typically useless especially if you are gonna die and loose the items to a random person.
    6 There is no story or missions in this game... just play to build up points, gathering, survive, die, 1 hour cooldown... (Rinse and repeat)
    7 There are no vehicles or source of speedy transportation. You can literally spend a lot of time running across the map to get to another location while avoiding zombies and other players along the way.
    8 Every time you revive you start with nothing on you. You can't even fend for yourself with fists.
    9 If you managed to get any items you wish to save in storage, you will have to walk/run your way back to the nearest safe zone to log out and unpack them.
    10 Personal bag space is limited... there are times you would run out of space and you are stuck deciding what to throw out be it weapons, ammo, food, etc... (Think there was 6-8 bag slots.)
    11 With the way the game is set up... it can be very time consuming to play or just to wait for revival. Either way... every time you die you start from scratch more time wasted little to no progression more frustration.
    12 Zombies path finding here is somewhat annoying... If you stood on top of a car or platform they sometimes clip through the object and hit you and if they didn't sometimes when you are beating them over their head, they take no damage (or take forever to die)

Over all the game concept was attractive at first... but in the end... it was a crappy experience for both my wife and I. Personally I wouldn't recommend this game. It's incomplete although they say it is a "Foundation Release" it just means their current product could be at bare minimum set up and it's a work in progress... For all I know the game might not even last through the end of the year with the way they are. The bad press didn't help it either. Save your money for something better or what not.

1. Mar 7, 2013
    Its mechanical foundation - like this Foundation Release - crumbles at the lightest touch. [March 2013, p.94]
  2. Feb 22, 2013
    The War Z has about as much value as its crappy in-game melee weaponry and that’s not much at all. At least it doesn’t cost anything to play after you buy it, and the cash shop items are fair enough, so you won’t see people running around with machine guns just because they spent money. If you’re going to give your money to a zombie-survival game, grab ArmA II and a copy of the DayZ mod, or wait for the full retail version of DayZ to arrive on digital store shelves and check that out. Do not buy into The War Z.
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    The War Z might use the same elements that make DayZ an enthralling experience. But it puts them together so halfheartedly that you have to turn away in disbelief.