1.7

Overwhelming dislike- based on 3967 Ratings

1. Dec 17, 2012
    Do not purchase this game. Many features listed on Steam are completely missing. The price was reduced to less than $15 in order to squeeze as much money from the game before it dies. I repeat: do not purchase this game, you will not get what you think you are getting. Just look at the War Z forums to see the problems.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    Purchased this game on Steam (which fails to acknowledge that it is still in beta on the War Z store page) and requested a RMA 4 hours later. I feel my time is better spent with the fantastic Arma II mod, Day Z. With War Z currently in beta at the moment, you will find broken game play and environments; from invisible walls to glitchy life ending hill drops to spotty AI. I feel your money is best saved for its final release, if by then it is fixed. The game is acclaimed to be a MMO but I have never played an MMO that has a max server population of 50 players, by that logic Battlefield 1942 is a MMO. Now the genera can be daunting with its unforgivable finalizing, no respawn death, but very rewarding when meeting and joining up with a few fellow player with the same goal mind. With that said wait until the beta is done and watch the reviews to see if these problems get any better. For now stick with Day Z. Expand
  3. Dec 17, 2012
    This game is TERRIBLE. The features are all crappy rip-offs of features DayZ has, and the Dev's wishlist is the same. The screenshots featured in advertisements are LIES. they feature actions that are literally impossible in the game. The clan feature is only available in the in-game store, usually a free feature in MMO's. The advertise dozens of skills yet the actual number is ZERO! The playerbase is also 60% hackers but so far most of those banned are innocent due too the poorly implemented "bait" pick-ups they use to catch hackers. The servers also crach inexplicably on a regular basis. The zombies AI is the worst I have ever seen, and i've seen some pretty bad AI. if you dont believe me check the steam forums for every positive comment their are dozens calling for a free refund. In conclusion there is absolutely no reason to buy this game especially when the vastly superior DayZ is FREE. Expand
  4. Dec 17, 2012
    Horrible game, stay far far far away!

Terrible gameplay, bad controls, boring gameworld, tons of bugs, tons of cheaters, lying devs and the list goes on.

How can they not list on the steam store page that this game is UNFINISHED? Or atleast mention its in a very early stage atleast. Also they list tons of features that are not in the game yet. Stop lying and be honest with you're
    fans will go along way instead of treating them bad.

Whats with the banning of legit players for no reason other then making them buy the game again?

Terrible game, stay away!
  5. Dec 17, 2012
    Poorly made rip off of Dayz. Most stated features are broken on non-existent. the single map is maybe 100 km, there are no private servers. even setting up a clan costs real money. The screen shots on steam are staged, there are no zombie hordes only a few here and there with no AI, This game was just a quick mod to the War inc engine to cash in on the popularity of Dayz, the game was rushed and it shows. There is really no point to playing this game, as a result all players have nothing left to do but sit around and camp waiting for someone to walk by so they can shoot them. I don't think this development company could make the game they say they wanted to make (which was just a laundry list of Dayz features). They seem very unprofessional and maybe a little shady. You are better off waiting for Dayz standalone or if you can't wait buy the Arma 2 pack off steam and get the Dayz mod for it. There will be a lot of fanboiz posting on here giving it 10/10, but this game is garbage and will not likely improve. Expand
  6. Dec 17, 2012
    The idea and concept behind War Z would be a winner in most every gamers library, unfortunately it has been poorly executed by Hammerpoint. There is a massive population of gamers who would enjoy playing a true Zombie Survival MMO, however this game falls short in all 3 of those words. ◎ Zombie. There are zombies in the game, and is probably the highest selling point for this game. Unfortunately the zombies are pointless in the game, and leave much to be desired. One would think in a Zombie Survival game, your biggest fear would be zombies. This is untrue. Players are your worst enemy, and zombies are there to be filler and annoying at most. The zombies in War Z have poor AI, and there is no variety in zombies.

◎ Survival. Yes the game has food and water, plus you have to find supplies to keep your health replenished. However, your not trying to survive against zombies. Your trying to survive from other players. Simply put, please don't let this game fool you. This is the truth. You'll be lured and filtered into towns for supplies, however soon find that they are filled with campers, server hoppers, and of course a extremely high population of hackers. Beware up front, trying to get to the safe zones is not an easy feat, due to safe zone campers.

◎ MMO. Don't let the 100 players fool you as well. Right now the servers sport a MAX population of 50 per server. Battlefield 3 has more than this. This game is far from being an MMO, so beware. You won't be in a HUGE world with hundreds of people. Instead, a single map that has 50 people.

Below are also the promised features listed and included with the game, per the Official Steam page.

◇ Two modes of Play: Normal and Hardcore
    FALSE. Hardcore mode does not work and is not yet implemented. You can create a hardcore character, however there are no differences as it stands between normal and hardcore.

◇ Meld of PVE(Player versus Environment) and PVP(Player versus Player)
    FALSE. No PVE content. This game will force you into PVP as it contains no PVE. You are looting and scavenging to stay alive against other players. Simple as that.

◇ Up to 100 Players per Game Server
    FALSE. MAX right now is 50. If they raise it further, game is over crowded. They already tried this before releasing the game on Steam.

◇ Dedicated Public Servers as well as Private Servers
    FALSE. This feature isn't even in the game yet.

It's made to look like there are massive hordes of Zombies that your trying to stay alive against. The truth is, turn those zombies into other survivors attempting to kill you and it would lean more towards the truth.
    Below I break down each of the topics listed on their main site.

◎ FIRST ZOMBIE MMO

I have a hard time accepting that this game could even be considered an MMO. In the current state, the existing Colorado map supports a low population of 50, and you have hundreds of individual game servers. Look at Battlefield which supports 64 players, and offers server rentals. Battlefield is not called an MMO, and why? It's not. Hammerpoint should re-evaluate this statement, as there are very few additions that separate it from any other FPS game. The few unique features it does have, such as a food and water meter, random spawning gear, inventory, do not make it an MMO. It should be considered a Zombie Survival FPS game, not MMO. NOTE! This is not my review but i want to share it as it states so many good points! the original post can be found @steamforums http://steamcommunity.com/app/226700/discussions/0/828925216535135621/
  7. Dec 18, 2012
    If you are going to blatantly rip off a competitors title, at least do it right. Graphics are horrid, gameplay is broken and there is no intentions of fixing any of this other than broken promises. Hammerpoint Interactive had a failed title called War Inc. The game was doing terrible because the developers behind the game where terrible at their job. Dayz comes onto the scene and blows the doors off. Hammerpoint see's an opportunity and reskins their game (War Inc.) and throws it out there as a zombie survival game. Same awful graphics, gameplay, bugs, hackers, etc as War inc.

War Inc. was a Free 2 Play game. With The War Z they slapped a sticker price to the game as well as keeping the existing cash shop from War Inc. in the game as a way to grow revenue. They knew that DayZ was hot and that if they copied Dayz that people would pay money to play their game. There was no reason to go Free 2 Play in order to attract a crowd, Dayz had already created it!

Their cash grab technique, lies about in game feature and their lies about the game being in development for 3 years is just utter ****

People naive enough to buy their game and report bugs in the forums got banned. Players trying to play legit got hacked on by devs and their friends who would use developer tools to spawn in items.

This game just stinks of ****
  8. Dec 18, 2012
    Unpolished, unfinished and poorly thought through, War Z manages to disappoint me in ways I didn't think was possible. The producer is a moronic jackass, developers lie on a daily basis, there's no communication in their company and the game-play is still in very early alpha-stages. To top it all down, they are also trying to deny people their human rights by pre-emptively saying "No refunds" before the game was even released, knowing that it would have turned out like **** and that people would demand their money back. Good thing they used a 3rd party to transfer funds. Day Z fanboys raging at it before even seeing in-game footage aside, avoid this title like the plague and check back within a year or two to see if they've finished adding all the animations. Expand
  9. Dec 18, 2012
    This is a scam, nothing but a cheap cash in of DayZ's success. Do yourself a favor and don't support this dishonesty by buying this garbage. Save your money.
  10. Dec 18, 2012
    The developers are liars and the game is a scam. The Steam release 'features' dedicated and private servers with up to 100 people and over 40 weapons! Just two of the lies Hammerpoint Interactive have been feeding us. The game's evidently non-existent anti-cheat makes playing a horrible experience (if it wasn't already for the poor physics and AI) and the community of the game seem to treat it as though it's Call of Doody and shoot to kill on sight. The fact that Hammerpoint seemingly ban players at random is even more baffling! Unless, of course, it is a ploy on their part to try and scrounge every last penny out of people. The community manager, Kewk, in particular is a frustrating individual; I have heard that he, after being legitimately killed by a player, banned said player and spawned in all his lost items. It is astounding that a corporation like this can get away with this kind of crime - breaking at least four US retail laws.
    Now, I accept that we are buying the game in Beta (I did start playing in Alpha) - a fact that has been omitted on Steam, I have noticed - but there has been no attempt to develop a working anti-cheat for the game. I have seen that hackers in the game are not even prevented from using their hacks for a brief period of time, the game is updated and it is 'Ban time' (as Hammerpoint calls it) and yet the hacks still work as well as they used to.
    I'm not sure that this game would be any good if it was Free to Play, especially since the quality of such games is improving (Planetside 2), but the fact that they charge for the game, as well as many in-game items is ludicrous. Seriously, save yourself the time, money and hassle, buy a good game instead.
  11. Dec 19, 2012
    Stay veryyyyyy far away from this so called "game". It is basically false advertising to a T, and I had a hard time getting my money back.

This will probably be outed for what it really is very soon.
  12. Dec 18, 2012
    This quite possibly is the worst game I've ever played.

Seriously, I'm not just saying that.

There are two games I wish I never played.

1. Star Trek Legacy which was the worst rated star trek game in history.

2. The war Z

Seriously....this game isn't even worth a bag of urine.
  13. Dec 17, 2012
    The first 15 minutes are pretty fun if you get on a low population server and there are no other players around. Once you start to get a few items and weapons it quickly starts to get repetitive and the ambiance of sounds and mood music that was cool at first quickly become annoyances. You soon learn that the game sounds are just random noise and others in your proximity cannot hear the same things. You also quickly learn that the only real thing to do with this game is avoid players or hunt them. Then you realize that avoiding players isn't even a part of the game since it is possible for a player to "ghost" behind you by logging off, getting on a server to move to a location behind you, then log back to your server and kill you before you know what happened. There just nothing tactical about the shooter aspect of this game and there are just not enough survival features or meaningfulness to the zombies in this game to justify calling this a zombie survival game. Also they claim it is an MMO but there is nothing massive about this multiplayer online game. Maps are small, servers are low pop (50 max with current map), characters are not bound to servers, servers claim to be persistent but there is nothing on a server that matters to a player since they can do their banking outside of the server and they can switch from server to server without penalty.

Worst thing about this game is that they falsely advertise features of the game and show staged screenshots of the game that are not actually in the actual game. I give the game a 1 for the first 15 minutes of wonder but it quickly falls down as a game worth owning. If they are able to put several more months of development into the game and actually implement some of the features they advertise then maybe it will worth reconsidering but first impressions are important and right now I have no trust that Hammerpoint is anything more than a poorly run dev shop.
  14. Dec 18, 2012
    Pre-Ordered this game as soon it was possible. Got my Legendary Pack. The game isn't ready for release. The was NEVER ready for release. And they released it. It has the potential to be a good game, but it's not because the devs are greedy and just want to cash in. Everything in the game seems badly done and simply rushed. Textures are bad, the game looks like crap and yet it's so badly optimized that even high end computers have problems running it. Most features that were promised aren't even ingame for testing yet. In short: A huge case of false advertisement. Stay way from this game. Expand
  15. Dec 18, 2012
    I usually believe that people give zero ratings to games just to pull them down because they are massively over hyped (see Halo, Call of duty etc), however zero in the War Z actually means zero.

I will list a few reasons as to why this game deserves a 0
    - The game play is clunky with poor animations, broken mechanics and invisible walls
    - The Item spawns seem to break soon after
    server restarts,
    - Servers need restarting regularly and can be unstable
    - Ammunition can be brought for real money as can food and other survival equipment,
    - Newbie ganking is the meta,
    - Extremely suspect development team with other great titles like big rig racing,
    - Development targets are never hit and many "features" that were promised months ago are never delivered
    - Heavily moderated forum that often has negative feedback deleted, - The games producer admits to abandoning their development of another game to start this game following the success of DayZ though the lead developer denies this.
  16. Dec 20, 2012
    This game has a TON of potential. And when you find a game without hackers and play with a friend you can have a lot of fun.

However right now, the Devs (through unprofessionalism) and hackers are destroying the game. Not to mention the Devs are a PR nightmare. Building the game on the engine of another game, stealing artwork from other sources (The Walking Dead). Acting like spoilt
    children on the forums. Random bans for no reason. Straight up lying about game features (all screen shots on the website are fake and do not represent the game at all).

Fact is, this game could be really great. But the devs need to start acting like honest professionals and not snake oil salesmen with a bad attitude. And they need to fix the biggest problems with the game, namely the BS nickel and dime transactions and the hackers.
  17. Dec 18, 2012
    This game should definatley be in the free-to-play section of steam as it has micro-transactions in it and is in an alpha stage (although said to be the full game in the description with plenty of features that aren't even present in the current build). Item bought in the marketplace with real cash are not permanent and will be lost immediately upon death - which happens often considering this is a zombie survival game. With all of that in mind, I advise you to hold onto your cash and either wait for the complete game or the standalone Day Z. Expand
  18. Dec 18, 2012
    The developers are a scam. The game released as an alpha with no indication it's still an alpha. They're only cashing in on the DayZ hype. They should be sued for false advertisement and much much more. They should be ashamed of themselves.
  19. Dec 18, 2012
    Quite possibly the worst game ever made. The graphics look like they are from a Sega Dreamcast at best and this is 2012 making these graphics completely unacceptable. Just so everyone knows, the screenshots shown are not taken from the game. And the last thing every potential player needs to know, there is a 1 HOUR RESPAWN TIMER when you die and you LOSE ALL YOUR GEAR!
  20. Dec 18, 2012
    Dreadful. Not being a player of DayZ, but aware that my friends and others had enjoyed it, I quickly saw this game (The War Z) and made the connection that it was the stand alone DayZ that I had previously heard rumors of. Now, I'm willing to accept that I'm at a lot of fault for buying this game on impulse without doing any research, and I quickly found out after I had bought the game, but before I had played it, that it was not any actual version of DayZ, but rather an imitation, I was a bit concerned. Still, I tried it out with some optimism; it couldn't be terrible, but how wrong I was. The game is far from complete. Now, this in itself is no real crime; plenty of games are played before they are complete yet they evolve into something much greater over time. The real tragedy here is that it makes no mention of it's Alpha stage before you purchase it. It, indeed, presents itself as a full and complete game. Now, even then, that's not to say the game couldn't be fun. Yet, while some tend to enjoy it, it would seem a good majority does not. (including myself) There's nothing that really orients you towards any sort of goal. Now, this is also sometimes a good thing, hell, it worked for Minecraft, but in this case there isn't really too much to actually grasp and adapt to in the game. Focus in the game is not born through the mere playing of it, in my experience. Survival quickly becomes a chore, rather than a game. On the flip side, things look pretty from a distance and zombies in the game do scare the hell out of me, so the game isn't totally lacking in potential. Just, you know, as is, don't touch it. Expand
  21. Dec 18, 2012
    lies all over the place. first they said, its gonna be free2play. now you have to pay for a beta...
    they have a super great ingameitemshop, with items you loose after you die. great thing to waste real money on items and get killed 5 seconds after you join a server.
    they promised 100 people on the server, but the cap is on 50... they promised own rental stronghold servers... "soon"

but 9 points for the female playermodels with big boobs. -8 for not beeing able to see them in-game...
  22. Dec 18, 2012
    Gameplay is fun, but cant say much else. Most unprofessional DEV team I've ever dealt with. Break deadlines regularly, called players a **** on official forums,spawn in guns, teleport in public servers, etc.

Check on the game in 6 months, IF its still around, MAYBE take another look....As for now.. .Stay away.
  23. Dec 18, 2012
    It's a total scam. I bought this game on steam, they have all these features and things you can do listed on their store page. Yet half of them are not even in the game, they have listed no where on there store page that this game is not finished. Thus I feel I was lied to. I "attempted" to play this game, and it sucks. The AI of Zombies so the worst I have ever seen, and half the time you can't even kill them, this game is no where near release quality, yet it was released.. Go figure. It's simply a crappy port off of War Inc. with lots of glitches. Collapse
  24. Dec 18, 2012
    Something is really nagging me about this game. Arktos Entertainment are charging 13.49 plus for a unfinished barely playable product. The Arktos Entertainment alone with Steam seem to be involved in some very shaddy business practices. False advertisement.This game is riddled with hackers praying upon non hackers as usual in games these days. No real safeguards, duh. I could go on and on about how shaddy and terrible The War Z is but I'm not. Bottom line is do not buy this game. Do not reward Arktos Entertainment for its shaddy business practices. Also, if are one of the unlucky ones who have actually bought this game, at the very least don't waste your money buying with real money in game items Expand
  25. Dec 18, 2012
    Would love this game if it was handled in a totally different manner. Every move by the Devs have put a quick buck over the long term success of this game. Missed deadlines and early release of a build that has not been improved much since closed alpha. Currently this game is not something I would recommend to my friends and that is a shame since it could easily be the game of my dreams.

Edit; Misclicked it is a 4 out of 10
  26. Dec 18, 2012
    It's hard to explain how bad this game actually is. It is so damn glitch! Also you pay for a Beta game and not a full game!!! Also there are transactions in the game that does not justify the fee you pay for the game it self. Be smart and stay away from this game please!
  27. Dec 18, 2012
    While the game had potential, the devs and the moderators have abused and suppressed facts and opinions on their forums. They are skirting the line of ethical values and seem to push for a "release title" then to work to finish up the game. This is not a AAA title more like a C title at best. I could go into great detail but this is a game to revisit in a few months. Also the map is a fraction of the size it was going to be and changed the wording many times since Oct 15th alpha. Nothing is on schedule with them and core components are pushed back all the time. The good is if you like a CoD style game with some zombies around play it for the fun of others misery. If you want a survival experience then you will have a long wait ahead of you.

Ohh and no friends system set up or away to tell who is a friendly type or a bandit since you have to type to chat and get killed for that. So no VOIP in-game makes it very hard to play with randomly met people.
  28. Dec 18, 2012
    I like playing the game but their CONSTANT AND CONSISTENT lies have bored me. They have CLEARLY rushed this out no matter what they claim. Has all the potential for a brilliant game if only they spent some of the money from preorders on hiring more developers rather than gold plated suits. As a developer I understand development hold ups but the problem they face is claiming to have features for "private test groups" that they dont have AT ALL! Its not just delayed features, its stuff they have not even started work on! For gods sake the community/clans page does not even refresh, you have to LOG OUT to get the new data. From a programming perspective making something like that refresh is the least taxing problem out there, just re run the same code that fills it. TLDR;
    Promising game thats fun to play but constant lies and delays are tiresome.
  29. Dec 19, 2012
    Don't buy this game, this is the biggest scam ever made, a cheap ripoff from DayZ and a huge cash grab with P2W. The devs shows no respect for the community and censor anyone who criticizes their game but they can't censor here. I have tested it and it was an absolute disaster, don't think i bought this on Steam because i didn't and i never will. Anyone wants to be famous like DayZ, but that's something hard to accomplish, especially when you want people to pay for weapons, fast re-spawn and other things. Expand
  30. Dec 18, 2012
    It's impossible to talk to Tech Support, worst support ever since Knight Online. -2 points for support, -3 points for not implemented features(if you don't have them in the game, do not write them on your steam page), -2 points for lack of community management so my total point is 3 and this 3 points just goes to game idea, however people says it's clone of dayz, i've never played dayz so the game idea seems pretty awesome to me, It may be copy of a another game that's normal, happens always. Expand
  31. Dec 18, 2012

1. Mar 7, 2013
    Its mechanical foundation - like this Foundation Release - crumbles at the lightest touch. [March 2013, p.94]
  2. Feb 22, 2013
    The War Z has about as much value as its crappy in-game melee weaponry and that’s not much at all. At least it doesn’t cost anything to play after you buy it, and the cash shop items are fair enough, so you won’t see people running around with machine guns just because they spent money. If you’re going to give your money to a zombie-survival game, grab ArmA II and a copy of the DayZ mod, or wait for the full retail version of DayZ to arrive on digital store shelves and check that out. Do not buy into The War Z.
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    The War Z might use the same elements that make DayZ an enthralling experience. But it puts them together so halfheartedly that you have to turn away in disbelief.