5.5

1. Feb 11, 2012
    In my opinion, this game is a rough diamond. As someone who has never played the original JA or JA2 games, I am still aware of the legendary reputation these games bring to the franchise. And thus the level of expectation which the community has towards this third installment.

However, as a standalone game, not taking into account its heritage, I am immensely enjoying the experience. Gameplay reminds me a bit of the Men of War series of games. But with the added depth of a 'persistent' world map, which will feature random counterattacks from the defending forces on Arulco.
    Liberated towns or mines give you daily income, which can be spent on hiring new mercs or better equipment. Enemies drop loot, which can be sold or used to keep your mercs going. Militias can be equipped with guns from your stores to defend your holdings. All this and more makes for a very complex and satisfying game, with levels of interaction and tactical options rarely seen in games these days - mainstream RTS included. And just for trying to bring this experience to a new audience 10 or more years after the originals the developers deserve a 10.

I do however have to subtract one point from my final rating due to sometimes flaky camera controls, which can be responsible for getting your mercs killed in tight situations. And another for samey, predictable AI, which will send all their goons out in the open and after your squad once one of them is spotted, rather than making use of their well entrenched positions.

I can see how Fog of War would have made this game an even more intense experience, and it is a shame the devs decided to not include it in the final game. And I am sure that veterans of this series will have many more bones to pick, but JA:BiA as it stands, is head and shoulders above anything in the RTS realm that is currently on offer on the PC. And with patches already coming out 1 day after release, I am sure this game can be polished to an even brighter sheen.
  2. Aug 12, 2014
    Played this when it first came out and got < 1 hr into the game having cleared the first airport. Gave up in dissappointment and I remember at the time I moved onto a host of other brilliant and amazing games at the time. My major complaint was that the game didn't feel "tactical" because I could see all the enemies...

Well I reloaded the game the past few days and have now put 18 hrs

Well I reloaded the game the past few days and have now put 18 hrs into the campaign. This time around the game has received several patches since and one of them added is a "tactical FOW" mode which literally fixes ALL of my complaints and make the game feel truly great. I have no idea why this wasn't in place from day zero, but it literally is the different between scoring this a 5/10 and giving it a 9/10.
  3. Oct 24, 2014
    game is better than most of the JA wannabe including the recent JA Flashback, get this game when its on sale and get the 2 mods either combat evolve or realism and u not look back.

game is like a real time strategy game u need to plan the attack and positioning of your mercs is important as in real life combat.
  4. Feb 16, 2012
    I would ask that anyone who comes to the review section of this game to notice that there are MANY positive reviews, MANY negative reviews, and few in between. This game suffers from the "uncanny valley" of game revivals; It happened to Fallout 3 as well.

Whenever a beloved game series is taken over by another developer and it's game mechanics are changed, the fans of the original have no way of venting their frustrations except to come to review sites and rate games badly. The problem with this is that some people use these review sites to make purchasing judgments, and there is FAR too much collective bias against games that try to revive old cult classics.

As to the game itself, it's good. It's difficult if you don't know what you're doing, easy if you do. It's going to take you a day or two to get the hang of things. You might want to restart the game once you get the hang of it. This is one of the best RTS/RPGs in existence right now (still hoping for a worthwhile UFO remake); Please give it a chance and ignore the butthurt babies who want to rate it down out of their spite towards the choices the developers made with game direction.
  5. Feb 13, 2012
    it is getting more and more obvious. you can stick all these paid or "young and inexperienced" reviews up your a...

if you know what you want you should definitely give this game a try. this is one of the truest reboots ever.

additionally "back in action" is technically flawless and preforms very well beside from most AAA titles today.
  6. Feb 15, 2012
    This is one of the few games in a while that I've played where the tutorial is mandatory. It is mandatory primarily because it is the only way to learn the non-remappable control schema. That being said, once you get going, the game-play is engaging. I started playing after several bugs were already patched, and the devs are patching more every day. Judging the game on its own meritsThis is one of the few games in a while that I've played where the tutorial is mandatory. It is mandatory primarily because it is the only way to learn the non-remappable control schema. That being said, once you get going, the game-play is engaging. I started playing after several bugs were already patched, and the devs are patching more every day. Judging the game on its own merits rather than it's predecessors, I can say that this is a solid game on it's own. Hopefully the modding community can get in gear to make the items we miss come back in this iteration. Expand
  7. Feb 16, 2012
    No Way! They used to take a 13 year old game and put it into 2012 with some cool new things (Plan&Go) - but left a lot of cool features from the original (SciFi mode, Create-your-own-soldier, Crafting) - But it is a good game which takes me to Aruclo for more than 20 hours and I am still fascinated and explore everything.
  8. Nov 14, 2012
    (Note: This is an updated review to reflect changes in the latest patches.) Ok, so it's not as good as Jagged Alliance 2. But how many games are? he new real-time system is quite fun (and I'm(Note: This is an updated review to reflect changes in the latest patches.) Ok, so it's not as good as Jagged Alliance 2. But how many games are? he new real-time system is quite fun (and I'm normally a TBS nutter!) and the ability to plan your strategy while the game is paused is well implemented. A number of patches have removed or alleviated some of the more blatant flaws in the initial release - the addition of sector inventories is a godsend, although equipping militas is still cumbersome (you need to run around and talk to each merc to equip them). If you can see past the lack of FOW and some of the other changes since JA2, there's a lot of fun to be had here. If you desperately want to play JA2, well, then play JA2, it's still the great game it always was. Expand
  9. Feb 14, 2012
    I look at the extremely negative user reviews from people who "loved" JA2 and I wonder what game they are playing. Now this game (and JA2) are not for everybody, but if you like JA2, XCOM or squad based tactical games I don't see what is not to like here.

Are there things this game is lacking that JA2 had? Absolutely. But it also has made some real improvements in many areas, and the "plan and go" system is a great idea that works very well and will perhaps breath some new life into this genre. JA2 was a 10/10, especially considering when it was made. But just because this game has some glitches and needs a little more polish doesn't mean it deserves a "2" like people give an unfinished abortion of a game like Sword of the Stars 2. This game is substantially finished, playable and a lot of fun. And personally I play games to have fun, not to pick them apart with comparisons with a determined effort to find every way they could be better. I get the impression some people reviewing this either haven't played it, or bought it specifically to pick it apart, which is quite silly if you ask me.

The voice acting could be better, but it is sufficient. The combat mechanics are not perfect, but they are fun and make sense. The interface could really use so work to make managing inventories better, but my understanding is that is in the next patch. I thought the music was quite good, and the graphic elements were absolutely excellent for a game like this.

The strategy map is a real improvement over the old classic, parts of the interface are greatly improved (and other parts missing/lacking). Anyway if you liked JA2, or XCOM, or the UFO: A series, or Laser Squad Nemesis, et cetera and you would like to play a modern game with those elements than this is just the thing for you.

I had very modest expectations and it has been the game I have had the most fun with since portal 2 was released (and I buy a game a week).
  10. Feb 13, 2012
    First of all, it's a solid tactics game. Unless you like to snipe enemies from a far, game allows it, but be ready ro ruin your gameplay and come here screamin and crying. Second, I wish they use that gameplay in their own game, instead of Arulco, which I never wanna see again)) I've started JA2 more then a doezen times when I was young, not again please. If these guys can make a game withFirst of all, it's a solid tactics game. Unless you like to snipe enemies from a far, game allows it, but be ready ro ruin your gameplay and come here screamin and crying. Second, I wish they use that gameplay in their own game, instead of Arulco, which I never wanna see again)) I've started JA2 more then a doezen times when I was young, not again please. If these guys can make a game with tactics, open-world, quests, nice graphics, surely they will get much attention. But why take all that Arulco crap again? Scores low, people only see "Elliot!.." thing been removed and jump out of the window.. And turnbased mode has nothing to do with realictic tactics.)) Expand
  11. Feb 11, 2012
    This game is very original and interesting, it provides you with challenge and mostly with fun. The huge amount of characters, weapons, missions and enemies makes things even better. It gives you many ways of approach, either a silent sniper approach, or burst in with the assault rifle and shoot everything on sight. The Commander mode is the most fun, the tactical options are huge. EveryThis game is very original and interesting, it provides you with challenge and mostly with fun. The huge amount of characters, weapons, missions and enemies makes things even better. It gives you many ways of approach, either a silent sniper approach, or burst in with the assault rifle and shoot everything on sight. The Commander mode is the most fun, the tactical options are huge. Every mission rewards you with daily money or accesses to other missions. I haven't played the old Jagged Alliance games, but this game is fun indeed, and I recommend it to all tactical strategy games. Expand
  12. Apr 4, 2014
    it does not feel like jagged alliance, it does not look like it either. nonetheless the gameplay is solid, the planning system works very well and it definetely is challenging fun to play.
  13. Feb 11, 2012
    The game really makes you think. It can be tedious work sometimes but it can also be very challenging. The gameplay is repetitive but you do not really realise this because the layout of every area is very unique with different vantage points and choke points. A great sum of weapons and equipment make the game seem like every character is unique and every enemy you have to look at to get aThe game really makes you think. It can be tedious work sometimes but it can also be very challenging. The gameplay is repetitive but you do not really realise this because the layout of every area is very unique with different vantage points and choke points. A great sum of weapons and equipment make the game seem like every character is unique and every enemy you have to look at to get a understanding if he is wearing body armor or not. The game deserves an 8 for a well planned game with a unique concept and gameplay that will last awhile. I have 11 hours into the game and i've been running into graphical glitches and crashes. Could be my sli setup by why 11 hours to conflict. Either way i would recommend the game. But fair warning, if you don't have patience than this is not for you. One enemy can whipe out your entire team if you rush without care. Expand
  14. Feb 12, 2012
    This is a very entertaining squad-based tactical action game. It allows for strategy, planning, and management without sacrificing action and pacing. You lead your heavily-armed squad as it carves its way through heavy resistance across the detailed 3D locations of Arulco. The main strength of this game is the Plan & Go feature. This allows you to pause the game at any time and issueThis is a very entertaining squad-based tactical action game. It allows for strategy, planning, and management without sacrificing action and pacing. You lead your heavily-armed squad as it carves its way through heavy resistance across the detailed 3D locations of Arulco. The main strength of this game is the Plan & Go feature. This allows you to pause the game at any time and issue detailed orders to your squad. These orders range from movement commands-- stances, facings-- to combat commands-- targeting specific enemies and specific body parts, throwing grenades. These waypoints can then be linked (synced) resulting in coordinated maneuvers and take-downs. Once the mode is exited the game un-pauses and your mercenaries carry out their orders as you watch the carnage. If something changes, simply press the space-bar, go back into the P&Go mode and adjust your tactic to the new situation. This system allows the best of both worlds: Old-school turn based aficionados (like myself) don't need to fear an RTS click-fest that our arthritic fingers can't keep up with. Young-pup BF3 lovers get the pacing, action, and exploding ragdolls that they love. Everybody wins. It's like Rainbow 6 (the original), with a birds-eye view of your troops and the ability to make on-the-fly corrections to your plan. In what other tactical sim can you actually plan a detailed breach and clear and watch the AI carry it out? The tenets of squad-based warfare actually work in this game.

If you're looking for Jagged Alliance 2; this isn't it. If that fact automatically makes the game awful, that's fine, but I didn't buy it looking for its predecessor. The fans of 2-decade-old turn based games feel that their X-Com's and JA2's are becoming extinct. They are angry with developers who can't or won't fund their (admittedly unprofitable) type of game, and some of them have taken to trashing this game ever since the announcement that it wouldn't be turn-based, and that their precious mercenary characters would have new portraits...

The game is not without bugs, it is coming from a small production team and lacks some polish. However, I have been able to easily overlook the bugs, inconsistencies and quirks of the game because it is far better than any of the recent X-Com knock-offs, and it is fun.
  15. Feb 28, 2012
    First of all don't look at this game as remake. It's new game only based on locations/story of original JA. It's different - sth like Commandos or Fallout Tactics - and that doesn't make it bad!! It's still a solid tactic game with a lot of fun. Most bugs are already patched so negative reviews should be "upgraded".

Graphics - good as for tactic game and detailed enough to know that enemy

Graphics - good as for tactic game and detailed enough to know that enemy is using sniper rifle and that there is a pistol on the ground next to wall. That's more than you need to plan and fight your battles! DX11 and ultra details are no needed.

Sounds - average. Mercs voice acting could and should be better but since they don't talk too much i can ignore this. Weapons sounds like in game from 2000r. but still acceptable. For sure the worst part of this game.

Game play - real time action + active pause is good for dynamic battles. I don't miss FOG but it will be added in patch soon(for fans). I could even accept that you can climb only where DEVs let you and blow up only where they let you. The only thing that i'm angry about is AI. You must do everything manually because mercs wont even turn back if they are getting hits from behind. The same zombie AI for Militia which is useless for almost anything(promised to be patched) but what is strange "great" Ai of enemy soldiers. They can see and hear almost everything + they are rushing like hell so keep a fast shooting gun near you ;)

After 40h of playing(75% of game for me) still funny and interesting, that's why i don't regret buying this game and that's why 8/10 from me :)
  16. Feb 14, 2012
    this game is ....... so close to being great, once they iron out the bugs will be even better, one of the best reboots ever having great fun playing this as i did JA 2, if the devs fix the bugs, and listen to the reasnable fans requests it will be even better, great game!
  17. Feb 12, 2012
    I was a big fan of JA2 and played it endlessly. And I expected to dislike this game. But...I am actually really enjoying it. Sure, there are elements from JA2 that could have been included, and there are annoying issues which need to be fixed. But to be honest a lot of the criticism is exaggerated...and there is a lot that this games does BETTER than JA2 did - I think the strategy map,I was a big fan of JA2 and played it endlessly. And I expected to dislike this game. But...I am actually really enjoying it. Sure, there are elements from JA2 that could have been included, and there are annoying issues which need to be fixed. But to be honest a lot of the criticism is exaggerated...and there is a lot that this games does BETTER than JA2 did - I think the strategy map, for example, is much better designed in this game. And, lets be realistic about this - this game shows a lot of potential, and if it sells well the developers will hopefully be supported in producing an even better addition to this genre. For now though, I am really enjoying another trip around Arulco. Expand
  18. Mar 23, 2012
    I had not played the previous JA games, but came to this game from the UFO:After-series, drawn by the promise of another Plan-and-Go tactical shooter. I enjoyed it a great deal, especially the unique characters and voice talent (hard to find in current indie games) and found that it in general was an improvement, but it's not without it's rough edges. I would say that if you know youI had not played the previous JA games, but came to this game from the UFO:After-series, drawn by the promise of another Plan-and-Go tactical shooter. I enjoyed it a great deal, especially the unique characters and voice talent (hard to find in current indie games) and found that it in general was an improvement, but it's not without it's rough edges. I would say that if you know you already like tactical RPG's and deep strategy, either turn-based or Plan-and-Go, I would go for it without hesitation. If you are unsure about the genre, this one has a learning curve and poor documentation (though a friendly community forum) and you might be better off starting with the UFO: After series and working up to it.

The plus's are a reasonably comepelling story, and an interesting (though fixed) map that is different from Zone-to-Zone maps common in the XCOM tradition, a well thought out Plan-and-Go features. Cons are fidgety pathing (in crowded or cluttered settings, Plan-and-Go becomes "Plan-and-Babysit"), simplified / unrealistic weapons properties (weapons which use different ammo from what the actual weapon in the real world does, holographic sights that increase the aiming accuracy of sniper rifles, etc), and the lack of good item inventory management tools that leave the player spending game time sorting spoils.

Another feature is that it's hard, and punishes conservative play. Without spoiling, I would just say that a player should be mentally prepared to take territory and lose it again rather than protect a small territory to the death.
  19. Jan 20, 2013
    I am a gaming hobbyist from the early 80's, record dozens of hours a week to this day, and write very few reviews. However, I felt a need here. I just purchased this game a few weeks ago, so I may not have experienced the issues recorded in much earlier reviews, but this is a good game. It really is. I recently finished re-playing Silent Storm 2 and 3, so this game felt very, veryI am a gaming hobbyist from the early 80's, record dozens of hours a week to this day, and write very few reviews. However, I felt a need here. I just purchased this game a few weeks ago, so I may not have experienced the issues recorded in much earlier reviews, but this is a good game. It really is. I recently finished re-playing Silent Storm 2 and 3, so this game felt very, very familiar.... Throw in arming civilians in towns you have liberated, usually with the guns and armor you find on bad guys, a need to help protect these areas from warnings of incoming hostiles, and better graphics. There are a few frustrating bits that become much less of an annoyance after playing several hours. Using the camera view becomes more fluid with use, for example. I also see complaints here about things that they obviously fixed (assuming the original reviewer was accurate to begin with), like how you can check "fog of war" before starting a new game if you want.

I am about 20-30 hours into the game and am having a good time, which is the best review a game can receive, IMO. I've been a video game hobbyist since the early 80's, and still play dozens of hours a week. I rarely submit reviews, but a 5.4 user score is not in line with the current version that I am playing.
  20. Aug 3, 2012
    As a fan of the original game, I was quite skeptic to this remake, especially after seeing the metacritic score... But I gave it a try a few months after launch, and it's quite good! I can't say how it was at launch, but now there are very few bugs so it's totally playable.
    It's hard enough without being frustrating, worthy of the jagged alliance name :)
  21. Apr 2, 2012
    Great game. Good game play. The familiar story is a little tired but they told us about that before the game was released. The game is as advertised.
  22. K0O
    Aug 11, 2012
    Very, very addictive. Not as deep and complex as the original (JA2), but nevertheless very good game. There are though many bugs, or at least design flaws, but the overall playing experience is very satisfying. Last patches have lifted the game quality considerably. The difficulty level is sometimes a bit tough, but that's just a challenge!
  23. Apr 6, 2012
    Straight off the bat, this plays well. The core mechanic works, the gameplay is good. The menu's are nice, hiring mercs has a little video feed complete with dial up tones. There's a lot to like here.
    The Campaign map, and the militia system makes it much more than just linear missions strung together - and I appreciated this. A lot of people are probably letting dissapointment that this isn't an all encompassing fantasy wishlist effect their scoring. I have not played Jagged Alliance - but love XCOM etc. Over the years I've played every one of the ever worse buggy XCOM games and quite enjoyed them. What you get here is a SOLID game, maybe a little simpler than the community wanted. But this is a GOOD game - and it deserves more credit for being so.
    Also - this game is so easy to mod. You can change the way the AI responds just by changing a few lines. I made opening doors with a key near silent as an example - as that seemed off - (ie you find the key to get in quietly - so why would it make more noise than just forcing the lock?)
    Modded up - this game gets better and better. The "blue dawn" mod is shaping up nicely as an example to get you started..
  24. Jan 29, 2013
    The bugs are really what is holding down this game from becoming a real top game of the genre. Even after several patches (1.13 and counting) they still remain riddled with bugs and some annoying features that could be done better.

However the action is superb and there is a good selection of characters aswell as equipment to make the game enjoyable. I look forward to trying the stand-alone expansion Crossfire soon.

I have not played the previous JA-games, however I have played & enjoyed other titles in the genre such as XCom-series, SWAT 2, Fallout Tactics..
  25. Aug 29, 2012
    A lot of people are disappointing by this game, and I understand their perspective. I`ve been a long time fan of JA, finished it back when there were no mods, and even installed it again a month ago, with version 1.13, which is AMAZING. Now, the topic here is back in Action. At first, I didn`t want to buy the game, the lack of fog of war was making the game pretty unplayable, and theA lot of people are disappointing by this game, and I understand their perspective. I`ve been a long time fan of JA, finished it back when there were no mods, and even installed it again a month ago, with version 1.13, which is AMAZING. Now, the topic here is back in Action. At first, I didn`t want to buy the game, the lack of fog of war was making the game pretty unplayable, and the interface in general didn`t seem polished enough. Later on, I got into reading about it, getting more information about the company, and my mark of 10 is given in context of the bigger picture I`ve come to see:

1. I bought the game, JABIA, when I saw patch 1.13, especially because of the major improvements the devs brought since launch. 2. A team of 12 people was working on JABIA, and I think they managed to accomplish amazing things together. 3. some of the original game mechanics are very difficult to remake into a 3d game from a development standpoint, even though fans "expect them" to be there

If Blizzard released this game, with all the resources they had, my mark would be much lower, but I believe in this development team, think they have great potential ahead of them given enough resources, as well as if they change their business plan a bit to be more reactive to fans and critics feedback.

Looking forward for more productions of JA,

All the best,
    Alex
  26. Dec 1, 2012
    I played a lot of JA2 back in its time, and I would say JA:BIA is worth playing and get it only when it is on sale. For players who haven't played JA2 will find fun in this game. For players who already played JA2 are better off not to compare the different gameplay mechanics. Simply adapt new feature and treat it like a new tactical game that uses JA2 story. I find it really okay thatI played a lot of JA2 back in its time, and I would say JA:BIA is worth playing and get it only when it is on sale. For players who haven't played JA2 will find fun in this game. For players who already played JA2 are better off not to compare the different gameplay mechanics. Simply adapt new feature and treat it like a new tactical game that uses JA2 story. I find it really okay that game developer used Jagged Alliance for naming otherwise I would have missed this tactical game. Expand
  27. Dec 5, 2013
    I give it an 8 because there was nothing similar out there when it was released,some bugs but nothing that stopped me from completing the game, character voices can be annoying you can tell its europeans trying to be funny but comes off annoying after hearing the hillbillies 100 times
  28. Sep 29, 2013
    Tactical Squad based strategy game with realtime moves. I love strategy, i love tactical games, it's a remake of one of my favorite games of the 90's. The only thing missing, is your personal mercenary maker thingy from the original. But it's a small price to pay for all the great stuff they have added to it. The story is the same, which kinda sux, but doesnt really matter. The story takesTactical Squad based strategy game with realtime moves. I love strategy, i love tactical games, it's a remake of one of my favorite games of the 90's. The only thing missing, is your personal mercenary maker thingy from the original. But it's a small price to pay for all the great stuff they have added to it. The story is the same, which kinda sux, but doesnt really matter. The story takes a bit of a backdrop to the fun of running your merc around killing stuff anyway. It does the old classic justice.
    If you like strategy games, then you won't regret picking this up.
  29. May 6, 2014
    Before I start I will say that I am true fan of the whole jagged alliance series. Even two weeks ago I started to play again Jagged Alliance 1 with lovely chats of Ivan Dolvitch in russian. I completed Jagged Alliance 2, JA2 Unfinished Businesses and also played modded versions of JA2. Ok.. so what I expected from JABIA (Jagged Alliance Back in Action) ? I expected the same turn based gameBefore I start I will say that I am true fan of the whole jagged alliance series. Even two weeks ago I started to play again Jagged Alliance 1 with lovely chats of Ivan Dolvitch in russian. I completed Jagged Alliance 2, JA2 Unfinished Businesses and also played modded versions of JA2. Ok.. so what I expected from JABIA (Jagged Alliance Back in Action) ? I expected the same turn based game and was really disappointed that game will be playable on in real time...... but when I started playing more and more I have to say (and please don't hang me on the tree... :)) that this version is really good!! Now why? Before I go into the details I will start with small items which makes the game better in many aspects then JA2:
    1. knives and matchetes are finally usable - in JA2 you can do nothing useful with the knife, knives were useful in JA1, but in JABIA you can kill the enemy with single cut
    2. you can but good weapons, grenades, armors almost from the beginning of the game (in JA2 new guns most of the time where to week for current power of enemies)
    3. armours can not be repaired - this is wonderfull (!) - you need to buy new instead of repairing them
    4. explosives are finally usefull... the same with land mines.
    5. you can join militia defending cities in the middle of a battle
    6.... there is a lot more which I won;'t name at the moment.... just play it and discover

And in general is the game worse comaring to JA2 ? Nooo.. it is different. Real time fight is realy realistic. You can create ambushes hiding in woods with good camuflage without beeing spoted by enemym, you can play command style - taking knife and silently killing enemies who does not expect attack from the back, you can play sniper style by killing each and everyone from distance. What is better? Enemies IQ is quite good for me. Enemies at certain levels of experience does not come close to you, they can try to ambush you, snipers can shoot you from distance and you will not see them without mercenaries with good perception (but even then they can have good camo so that killing them is hard). I could write about many aspects which makes this game worthwhile, but I really suggest to try (playing tutrial first to see what options there are)... so does the game lack anything from JA2? Yes many things:
    1. there is not SCI-FI - oh well... for some people this was redundant part from JA2
    2. Faces of mercs are not cartoon-like - oh well... this is 3d world so they are 3d, but still they are different and people saying that they are alike are wrong... take a looke at your friend sitting next to you. Maybe you will notice that in real world we are all alike - and this is how JABIA presents mercs - if you give to all them the same helmets and glasses they will look almost the same... wow like soldiers in real world.. so is there any problem with this ? I don't think so.
    3. turn-based combat - yes...I love turn based games.. I love XCOM and like to play chess... but this is JABIA - it is not turn based game - it is realistic game, so just deal with it
    4. ... probably even more, but the point is that almost for every "lack of something" there is a reason behind it and this reason is in most cases "realism"

I don't want to say that the game is better, worse or equal to JA, Deadly Games, JA2.... it is simply different but really exciting and I love playing. I'm treating it as a different approach to the series - having similar plot, the characters (mercs), place (Arulco) and rules (jamming weapons, lockpicks that needs to be taken etc.).

People who are giving bad reviews are, in my opinion, mostly frustrated that it is not turn-based and forget to pay attention to what is good... and there is a lot of good in JABIA.
  30. Mar 5, 2015
    1) Best tatical combat system ever. A mix of turn-based and RTS on combat.
    2) Good storyline.
    3) Great tatical map. 4) Good troop management (hire, skill upgrade, buy weapons, attachments, armor, ammo, equipament) 5) Good grapichs 6) Average sound effects and soundtrack Very different combat system compared to the old Jagged AllianceĀ“s. Much more fun and challenge. The old is slow
    1) Best tatical combat system ever. A mix of turn-based and RTS on combat.
    2) Good storyline.
    3) Great tatical map.
    5) Good grapichs
    6) Average sound effects and soundtrack

Very different combat system compared to the old Jagged AllianceĀ“s. Much more fun and challenge. The old is slow and boring.
  31. Feb 16, 2012

1. PC Master (Greece)
    May 16, 2012
    Ignore Back in Action and just buy Jagged Alliance 2 to cherish the original version of a great game. Then again, if graphics are so important to you, go ahead and buy Back in Action- you might enjoy it but you will have paid four times more, for an inferior product. [May 2012]
  2. Apr 10, 2012
    As you manage your squads and try to take down the Queen's men in Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, you can't help but feel that the game could have been a lot more. The open premise really works and allows for you to tackle nearly any obstacle in the game as you see fit. The game is fun, but it has a lot of baggage and head-scratchingly rough edges that dull the enjoyment. The title does a passable job of bringing the Jagged Alliance series back to life, but it's not as good as it could've been, and it doesn't live up to the legacy of its predecessors.
  3. Apr 5, 2012
    The real-time combat isn't the problem; it's everything else, which was done with a depth and confidence 13 years ago that this reimagining lacks. [Apr 2012, p.54]