5.9

1. Dec 8, 2011
    Okay, I'm not gonna lie; "Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days" is a great looking game but terrible if you play it for even a short second. It's like a film with all the shaky camera and grim environment, but terribly used within the game. The graphics are straight out-dated and gameplay is very linear. Hell, the multiplayer doesn't even get support! How the **** do I play this game?!
  2. Dec 15, 2012
    Terrible, TERRIBLE game. Although graphics are nice and I salute the effort it must have taken to emulate the handy cam, this game is just half baked. The cover system is broken but above all, the aiming system is awful. You can unload clips on an enemy that is 5 feet away and spray your bullets all over without a single hit. However, the enemies have dead aim at 500 feet, killing youTerrible, TERRIBLE game. Although graphics are nice and I salute the effort it must have taken to emulate the handy cam, this game is just half baked. The cover system is broken but above all, the aiming system is awful. You can unload clips on an enemy that is 5 feet away and spray your bullets all over without a single hit. However, the enemies have dead aim at 500 feet, killing you almost instantly and they can take 4-5 bullets in the head without dying. They can also shoot you accurately hitting 90% of their shots while blind shooting from cover. And I played on easy... You survive between 5 and 30 seconds and then restart over and over again until you get so frustrated that you just dump the stupid game. Kane & Lynch? Dead men for sure! Expand
  3. Oct 3, 2010
    Really a crap game made by- and for- people who think mindless swearing and a lack of imagination is cool . 2 points for the look of singapore, or shanghai, or whatever.
  4. Sep 6, 2011
    This entire game from start to finish is just outright awful, I recommend that you should look else where if you want to play a solid cover based shooter.
  5. Nov 25, 2010
    If you enjoy PC games then this is NOT for you. Not in the slightest. The game fails miserably at the control part. It's unplayable. Unless you got a xbox/ps3 controller lying around.
    Only the force unleashed beats this port in being useless. I usually write half-page long reviews but this doesn't deserve it, not anywhere near.
  6. Aug 19, 2010
    I can't believe it's IO Interactive. More like CITY Interactive. K&L2 is like a horrible shooter from Poland. No story, no gameplay, no scripts, no videos, no damn ending scene, NOTHING at all. Total waste of money and time. Don't buy it. If you never played K&L - then buy first game, it's so much better than this crap.
    P.S. Oh, and crappy fullscreen effects blow your mind - disable them
    P.S. Oh, and crappy fullscreen effects blow your mind - disable them and see awful graphics, which is worse than in K&L1.
  7. Vex
    Mar 25, 2012
    There are lots of negative reviews of this game and there's a good reason for that. Simply put, the gameplay mechanics are abysmal. Cover system is broken most of the time, enemies can hit you from extreme distances but you won't be able to hit them back unless you get real close most of the time. Weapons feel like cheap toys and the combat itself is extremely annoying. The games throwsThere are lots of negative reviews of this game and there's a good reason for that. Simply put, the gameplay mechanics are abysmal. Cover system is broken most of the time, enemies can hit you from extreme distances but you won't be able to hit them back unless you get real close most of the time. Weapons feel like cheap toys and the combat itself is extremely annoying. The games throws dozens of waves of enemies at you throughout different levels and it gets old real fast. Simply put, as a cover shooter, this game is fundamentally broken and doesn't deserve to be on the store shelves.

Onto the more positive sides of the game: The atmosphere is quite amazing and Shanghai feels realistic and alive. Shaky camera effect coupled with bright neon lights of an Asian city make for a really amazing experience and it often feels like you're watching a Youtube documentary rather than playing a video game. The game is quite gory, the characters are extremely believable and that makes for a very realistic experience. If you're into crime thrillers, you're likely to like this part.

That said, it's a shame that boring gameplay and broken mechanics ruin the massive potential of this game. This game is truly innovative in many aspects and it's a shame that developers didn't fully utilize that potential to create something amazing, instead of creating a 3rd rate bland cover shooter (and a broken one at that).

Even though the game is pretty bad, if the atmosphere and character development are your cup of tea, it's probably worth sitting through. I personally uninstalled it after a couple of hours and couldn't bring myself to finish it, which - again - is a real shame because the game had so much potential. I got it for $3 on a Steam sale and it's not worth paying much more than that.
  8. Jan 11, 2011
    Gears of War (which is bad) with shakycam (bad) and shakycam (bad) and shakycam (bad) and a poor excuse for a story that's more about trying to offend you rather than make any coherent sense (very bad!). Also two and a half hours long.
  9. Aug 17, 2010
    Total failure. Story is boring and short. Cover system is broken. Some enemies are like minibosses. AI is straightforward, just rushing at you. More and more... I just can't think of a good thing about this game. Stay away. And don't even believe any of the review(er)s that gave this game a good score.
  10. Aug 24, 2010
    Liked the attempt at the gritty/realism style, but the controls were imperfect. I uninstalled this one early after replaying the same stupid section (and watching the same stupid unskippable minute-long cutscene that started the section) ten stupid times.
  11. Nov 25, 2010
    While it has nice graphics, poor control and a broken cover system kill this shooter. To make up for the pedestrian AI, the designers gave your enemies dead aim (they can hit you even behind cover while shooting blindly over obstacles) while your automatic weapons spray bullets without hitting anything. The makers wanted to go for the roving "realistic" camera look but it's just annoyingWhile it has nice graphics, poor control and a broken cover system kill this shooter. To make up for the pedestrian AI, the designers gave your enemies dead aim (they can hit you even behind cover while shooting blindly over obstacles) while your automatic weapons spray bullets without hitting anything. The makers wanted to go for the roving "realistic" camera look but it's just annoying and you'll turn it off after the first few minutes. Pretty much meh even for the bargain price they offered on Steam. Expand
  12. D_S
    Aug 22, 2010
    Forget constructive criticism, I just can't understand why this garbage is allowed to exist and why money grubbing developers are allowed to make a profit off of it. Stay at least 10.5 Kilometers away from this putrid, gimmicky, console-oriented trash.
  13. Sep 3, 2010
    Wow another epic fail. BUT at least this one didnt try so hard to hide it.

Like the swab or recent duck pop up ... duck pop up.. shooters that are pouring out of the industry (WHY WHY?) Kane & lynch 2 offers nothing really new or exciting. This is, a good thing in my opinion. For once a game that knows its going to be linear.. simple.. and not contrived while hiding under the guise of a
    Wow another epic fail. BUT at least this one didnt try so hard to hide it.

This is, a good thing in my opinion. For once a game that knows its going to be linear.. simple.. and not contrived while hiding under the guise of a fancy backdrop with fancy cars.
    You get what you see here.
    The battles are intense when in them, and the load times are very well done, but I couldnt help but feel that I just wanted the game to be over instead of playing it. Yep its one of those folks. Hurry up! Play it, beat it and erase the sucker for space on the hard drive for better games.

This game at least has some areas of understanding its limits. Wish I could say the same for other titles (see mafia II for details)
  14. Sep 8, 2010
    This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid byThis game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. Expand
  15. Aug 17, 2010
    I didn't know a game shorter than Call of Duty existed. This game proved me wrong. The visual 'artifacts' are just used to cover up the crappy textures and shoddy AI. The animation of the characters was horrible as well. Its just a poor shooter overall. I admit the online was kinda fun for a while, but I imagine its going to be dead in a few months. Rent it, or pick it up from the bargainI didn't know a game shorter than Call of Duty existed. This game proved me wrong. The visual 'artifacts' are just used to cover up the crappy textures and shoddy AI. The animation of the characters was horrible as well. Its just a poor shooter overall. I admit the online was kinda fun for a while, but I imagine its going to be dead in a few months. Rent it, or pick it up from the bargain bin in a years time, but I really can't recommend buying this at full price. Expand
  16. Nov 11, 2014
    I use the games box as a punching bag when im stressed or mad. That is the only thing this is good for, if you bought it digitally this game has no redeeming qualities. Not one thing. Story is awful, characters are boring as hell, and the camera, oh god the camera. I know the "cinematic" camera can be turned off but that is just awful. The only thing it gets a point for is making me laughI use the games box as a punching bag when im stressed or mad. That is the only thing this is good for, if you bought it digitally this game has no redeeming qualities. Not one thing. Story is awful, characters are boring as hell, and the camera, oh god the camera. I know the "cinematic" camera can be turned off but that is just awful. The only thing it gets a point for is making me laugh at the end, and not because its funny but because the game is about 3-4 hours give or take. Do not buy this game even if you see it in a bargain bin for 1 dollar or your regional equivalent. Expand
  17. Aug 17, 2010
    I hate the film grain. I hate the shaking camera... but when you remove both, the silly game just looks like PS2 graphics. I would definitely not recommend this game to anyone. The shooting felt boring and repetitive. After the first 5 minutes, you've seen all. The multilayer modes are basically all the same with little twists. And seriously, I played through the whole game in 2 hours onI hate the film grain. I hate the shaking camera... but when you remove both, the silly game just looks like PS2 graphics. I would definitely not recommend this game to anyone. The shooting felt boring and repetitive. After the first 5 minutes, you've seen all. The multilayer modes are basically all the same with little twists. And seriously, I played through the whole game in 2 hours on the easiest difficulty level. Expand
  18. Aug 19, 2010
    A very bad game, with poor game mechanics and a terrible story. I recommend you read Destructoid's review of this game before even considering a purchase.
  19. Sep 6, 2010
    I nominate Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days as one of 2010's worst game. Forget constructive criticisms, I already lost enough time "playing" that piece of garbage!
  20. Nov 26, 2010
    Big fail.....no story at all, just killing. The game play is bad. I spent $60 for such a damn stupid game.....
    Couldn't believe some people give 10 to this game....
  21. Feb 24, 2011
    Kane and Lynch 2 is probably one of the most bland, repetitive, unrewarding and poorly designed games I have played in a long time (for a blockbuster release).

The way in which the stylised camera work was done (camcorder/CCTV) was cool in theory but after one or two cutscenes it just got incredibly annoying because it was completely overdone and therefore ruined the (already pretty bad) cutscenes.

The shooting is boring, repetitive and poorly implemented (which for a shooter game is a disaster). You either have the choice of spraying bullets and hoping to get that lucky head shot or you go for the (fairly rare) 1-shot kill sniper type weapons, either way it still takes way too long to kill the AI enemies. What's worse is that half the time, after emptying half a clip into them, the enemies end up getting back up and running off seemingly unscathed.

The cover system is also terrible. You tend to spend most of the time hidden behind the most solid and out of the way cover possible because if you don't, the enemy can hit you through just about anything, damaging you ridiculously fast and causing you to sit and wait for your health to replenish slowly before you dare pop another couple shots off.

The story.... well..... they jump on a plane at the end after shooting lots of people and the credits roll. That's about the most interesting part of the story, so you try and work out what the other 75% of the game is. And yes, the credits probably account for about 25% of the gameplay time.

Please trust me and avoid at all costs.
  22. Vex
    Mar 25, 2012

1. Dec 25, 2010
    A massive upgrade on the first game, but don't blame us if you get a bit tired of shooting people in the face. [Issue#244, p.106]
  2. The best advice i can give is to trust your own instincts: even after reading this, if the concept and setting still appeal to you, definitely give it a chance. Just don't expect to feel the same way when it's over.
  3. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is an interesting beast because it really shouldn't exist. Outside of a unique art style it brings nothing new to the genre and does little to improve over the original game, which I might add, was far from a good game.