5.8

1. Aug 19, 2010
    Look of the game is fantastic and innovative but...game play is terrible and characters/story underwritten. Absolute wasted opportunity. Makes Dead Men look like a classic in comparison. Epic fail as people say.
  2. Aug 17, 2010
    I hate the film grain. I hate the shaking camera... but when you remove both, the silly game just looks like PS2 graphics. I would definitely not recommend this game to anyone. The shooting felt boring and repetitive. After the first 5 minutes, you've seen all. The multilayer modes are basically all the same with little twists. And seriously, I played through the whole game in 2 hours on the easiest difficulty level. Expand
  3. Aug 18, 2010
    much better than the first one. the visual style, the whole grimey feeling of the game is amazing, plus i cant stop playing the multiplayer. recommended!!!!!
  4. Aug 21, 2010
    I love this game :) Dark, grimy and awesome gameplay. This doesn't play like MW2 or L4D2 or any other shooter I've played, which is why I guess I like it so much. The enemy AI moves fairly predictably after a couple of attempts to clear a stage, but to be honest, this is not a 100 hour single player game. I didn't buy it to last forever, I bought it for the buzz of the game.

Each
    stage requires different flanking techniques and there are several directions to get to where you're going. Could do with more things that go bang I think though.

Haven't tried MP yet, still getting the practice in. Play the demo, and if you like it, buy the game. I think it rocks.
  5. Nov 25, 2010
    While it has nice graphics, poor control and a broken cover system kill this shooter. To make up for the pedestrian AI, the designers gave your enemies dead aim (they can hit you even behind cover while shooting blindly over obstacles) while your automatic weapons spray bullets without hitting anything. The makers wanted to go for the roving "realistic" camera look but it's just annoying and you'll turn it off after the first few minutes. Pretty much meh even for the bargain price they offered on Steam. Expand
  6. Aug 17, 2010
    I didn't know a game shorter than Call of Duty existed. This game proved me wrong. The visual 'artifacts' are just used to cover up the crappy textures and shoddy AI. The animation of the characters was horrible as well. Its just a poor shooter overall. I admit the online was kinda fun for a while, but I imagine its going to be dead in a few months. Rent it, or pick it up from the bargain bin in a years time, but I really can't recommend buying this at full price. Expand
  7. Aug 17, 2010
    Total failure. Story is boring and short. Cover system is broken. Some enemies are like minibosses. AI is straightforward, just rushing at you. More and more... I just can't think of a good thing about this game. Stay away. And don't even believe any of the review(er)s that gave this game a good score.
  8. Aug 24, 2010
    Liked the attempt at the gritty/realism style, but the controls were imperfect. I uninstalled this one early after replaying the same stupid section (and watching the same stupid unskippable minute-long cutscene that started the section) ten stupid times.
  9. Feb 5, 2012
    Generic shooter but it has + 2 points for atmosphere. The gameplay and ai is bad, but the voice acting and story are pretty good. The atmosphere is spot on and the amateur camera filter is a nice effect. The story is super short, finished the game in 3.8hrs. I just like how much effort the devs put into the atmosphere :)
  10. Aug 23, 2010
    I loved this game, it is short but very intense. I thought the camera work and grainy look really added to the atmosphere, and I felt like I was tagging along with two very insane gunmen. The story is pretty gritty and I really enjoyed the way the progression went along. I wouldn't say that the AI is the best, but overall I didn't feel like it detracted from the overall experience. The multi-player is really a blast as well! Expand
  11. Nov 3, 2011
    In order to like this game you need to take it seriously. If you think of it as a game, it is OK. If you try to get into the visceral experience, you will be hyped up on adrenaline and feel like an action movie hero/(antihero). The only way to play it is on hard or extreme, especially with the music turned up loud. I felt like I was in a very real experience where it was me and a friend vs. the whole Chinese mafia/military/police. You just need to go along with what the developers were trying to do. Expand
  12. D_S
    Aug 22, 2010
    Forget constructive criticism, I just can't understand why this garbage is allowed to exist and why money grubbing developers are allowed to make a profit off of it. Stay at least 10.5 Kilometers away from this putrid, gimmicky, console-oriented trash.
  13. Aug 19, 2010
    A very bad game, with poor game mechanics and a terrible story. I recommend you read Destructoid's review of this game before even considering a purchase.
  14. Aug 19, 2010
    I can't believe it's IO Interactive. More like CITY Interactive. K&L2 is like a horrible shooter from Poland. No story, no gameplay, no scripts, no videos, no damn ending scene, NOTHING at all. Total waste of money and time. Don't buy it. If you never played K&L - then buy first game, it's so much better than this crap.
    P.S. Oh, and crappy fullscreen effects blow your mind - disable them
    and see awful graphics, which is worse than in K&L1. Expand
  15. Aug 21, 2010
    This game is intense, original and in your face. The characters are realistic and the voice acting and sound effects are superb. If you like "Die Hard" action flicks, and you would like to up the ante by several hundred percent, then this game/film is for you. I never played the first one due to so many bad reviews, and I have only played this one for 3 hours so far. The AI is usually clever, and I think playing this game on anything other than easy level would be quite a challenge for your average gamer. I like to experiment and experience different effects on the game play experience. I am using the film grain and camera shake effects on easy level for the first run through the story, and then I will up the difficulty without effects for a second run. There are no other games like this. It contains some disturbing scenes, and these are handled as tastefully as one could possibly achieve without actually editing them out. This title deserves high praise. I recommend it to mature adults that can handle and sometimes enjoy something outside the square. Expand
  16. Nov 8, 2010
    i loved this game and the original have not encountered The @#$%^'s of hacks that are in modern warfare. Wish the weapons were scoped Then again i just got it maybe later you can look down the scope.
  17. Dec 5, 2011
    Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days takes the player (And a friend, in case of co-operative play) through a story that takes both protaganists through a bloody and action movie-like-, but not alltogether unrealistic, shoot-out in modern-day China where they will get caught up in a story of betrayal, corruption and revenge. The game's controls are very fluent, the cover-system works very well, the over-the-shoulder camera is rarely annoying, guns feel right and the game's visuals are simply beautiful desite the gloomy art-work. Co-operative play is where the game truly shines, the AI isn't stupid but sharing the experience with a friend is a lot more fun. There are a few downsides to the game; it is relatively short (You can finish it in about 5 hours time), once you 'die' your teammate has only several seconds to get you back up and usually, that's not enough. Luckily, this is compensated for by the generous usage of checkpoints. The story is also open-ended and the ending could be perceived as an anti-climax as it leaves too many questions unanswered. (This is the point where you'll hope for a sequel!) Expand
  18. Jan 25, 2012
    Total Single Player Completion Time: around 4 hours. The latest game in the Kane and Lynch series definitely improves upon the first with better shooting mechanics and a better cover system...but that's not saying much. I died countless times because Lynch either didn't want to get into cover or decided to hide behind the wrong object. Gameplay consists of 95% gunplay and 5% pressing "E" to open doors. It's not varied but it's somewhat enjoyable IF playing the game in co-op. A solo run is incredibly tedious and the A.I. partner is nearly useless. The 4 hour game length is also pitiful and is extended by a couple of multiplayer modes that have NOBODY playing them. It's not a game that's worth full price (not by a long shot) but TRUE fans of the series will enjoy it. Expand
  19. Dec 15, 2012
    Terrible, TERRIBLE game. Although graphics are nice and I salute the effort it must have taken to emulate the handy cam, this game is just half baked. The cover system is broken but above all, the aiming system is awful. You can unload clips on an enemy that is 5 feet away and spray your bullets all over without a single hit. However, the enemies have dead aim at 500 feet, killing you almost instantly and they can take 4-5 bullets in the head without dying. They can also shoot you accurately hitting 90% of their shots while blind shooting from cover. And I played on easy... You survive between 5 and 30 seconds and then restart over and over again until you get so frustrated that you just dump the stupid game. Kane & Lynch? Dead men for sure! Expand
  20. Sep 3, 2010
    Wow another epic fail. BUT at least this one didnt try so hard to hide it.

Like the swab or recent duck pop up ... duck pop up.. shooters that are pouring out of the industry (WHY WHY?) Kane & lynch 2 offers nothing really new or exciting.
    This is, a good thing in my opinion. For once a game that knows its going to be linear.. simple.. and not contrived while hiding under the guise of a
    fancy backdrop with fancy cars.
    You get what you see here.
    The battles are intense when in them, and the load times are very well done, but I couldnt help but feel that I just wanted the game to be over instead of playing it. Yep its one of those folks. Hurry up! Play it, beat it and erase the sucker for space on the hard drive for better games.

This game at least has some areas of understanding its limits. Wish I could say the same for other titles (see mafia II for details)
  21. Sep 6, 2010
    I nominate Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days as one of 2010's worst game. Forget constructive criticisms, I already lost enough time "playing" that piece of garbage!
  22. Oct 3, 2010
    Really a crap game made by- and for- people who think mindless swearing and a lack of imagination is cool . 2 points for the look of singapore, or shanghai, or whatever.
  23. Jun 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the haters. Actually this game was really fun and is almost one of best cooperative games I ever played. Visual effects were really good, I have never seen before such filters. I truly loved it. At beginning I didn't like the weapons since I couldn't hit with them, however later you get better weapons.
    Kane & Lynch 2 Dog Days is for real gamers.
  24. Nov 25, 2010
    If you enjoy PC games then this is NOT for you. Not in the slightest. The game fails miserably at the control part. It's unplayable. Unless you got a xbox/ps3 controller lying around.
    Only the force unleashed beats this port in being useless. I usually write half-page long reviews but this doesn't deserve it, not anywhere near.
  25. Nov 26, 2010
    Big fail.....no story at all, just killing. The game play is bad. I spent $60 for such a damn stupid game.....
    Couldn't believe some people give 10 to this game....
  26. Nov 26, 2010
    This game is a blast. Most of the bad reviews on this game seem to come from complete idiots. You can skip cut scenes (hit enter). you can change your controls if you don't like them. and if you don't install your video card drivers, the graphics might be bad (and should be bad for EVERY game you play).

There are a few things that you should think about before getting this game though. if
    you don't like things that look like they were shot from a reporters camera, then this game isn't for you. It's almost like you are watching some crazy documentary. There is also a fair amount of gore in the game. They cover up some of it with a censor mosaic which to give it that documentary feel.

the game is also pretty short. but multiplayer is fantastic, and extends the life of the game. Someone said the cover system is broken, and this is partly true. to go into more detail, sometimes you take cover and will slip out of cover. It's never been so bad that I died because of it, but it's a little irritating at times. Also, you can adjust your control scheme pretty easily in the options to suit your gamestyle, but if you are used to wasd then you have the basics covered.

The story is also no Homers Odyssey, but it's still fantastic. I don't see how it's "boring" as it's more/better story than 90% of shooters out there today. and last, the graphics are amazing. the guy saying they look like ps2 graphics needs to go back and play ps2 again and maybe install his graphics drivers (or not play it on a 486).
  27. Nov 27, 2010
    I really, really want to love these series. And I do to a degree. I really dug the grainy film like play, but you've got to already have a love for that sort of thing. The story is pretty straight forward, though you never really get an idea of whats truly going on in the grand scheme of things. Just like you wouldn't if you were in their positions. This series could be so much more than it is, and each time they come out with one, its just so close to being fantastic, which makes me come back for more just incase the next one hits it square on the head.

I'd recommend this puppy for those who liked the first one. For the veteran gamers who're more into game play, this may not be for you. But if you enjoy a good, action style story and find this on sale for about $10-$20 (being generous too), I'd go for it.
  28. May 18, 2011
    At a $5 price tag, this game is so worth it. It's on the short side and has no plot whatsoever, but has great non-stop gory action, good selection of different guns, and controlling two nude-crazed lunatics through the streets of Shanghai--just priceless. Lynch is a complete mad man--so much comedy listening to him rant. Add nearly 50 Steam achievements...co-op...and multi-player...what more could you ask for?

WARNING: Whatever you do make sure you enable steadycam before you play this game, otherwise you will vomit in about 5 minutes; although it still won't help you through the cut scenes.
  29. Jan 5, 2011
    This isn't a game for people who think Modern Warfare is the greatest series to ever come out. This is very much a PC game, and it's for people who like genres like pulp and wuxia, and films like Sin City and Watchmen. It's a game in the style of a violent, amateur documentary and it's a blast. A stylistic and over the top, ultra realistic and horribly violent documentary where you get to play the antagonist is really the best way I can think to describe it.

No running, jumping, quickscoping and knifing, cover and actually being able to aim is a must on the highest difficulty levels which provide some decent AI. Utilize your environment, explosive barrels are still useful.

Granted, if you're playing on the easiest setting the game is dead easy, which you know, the whole "easy mode". Be kinda stupid if easy was hard ey. The film grain and shaky camera are for effect, some people dislike the shaking which you can turn off. The graphics are quite decent when you max them out, of course if your system can't handle it and you turn everything off then, well, it's going to look like you've turned everything off.

There's quite a nice selection of guns, more for multiplayer if you get some of the DLC. Not as many people online as there could be due to things like not knowing that Options>Turn Shaking Off exists but still enough for a match. The multiplayer modes too are quite fun, none of this Deathmatch nonsense, here we have a group of robbers attacking a vault, stealing money and gunning their way out through guards. More cash means you can buy better weapons for the next round, which is a nice incentive to level your shotgun at the back of a players head and pull the trigger, looting the money from his corpse.
    Which gives your teammates full authority to waste you, and the person you just killed has now spawned as a guard and is coming back with a vengance.

The game only took me six and a half hours to complete on normal, and that provided a reasonable challenge but slack enough to enjoy the story. And the story is reasonable, not the greatest around, but not "The Russians are attacking!!" which is getting kinda old now. The dialog had it's repetitive moments but on the whole a nice touch to the game. As others have pointed out, the language can get a bit coarse at times, which for mercenaries and criminals actually works.

AI, on the hardest level will aim for the head, flank, and provide covering fire with assault rifles and sniper rifles while their shotgun equipped allies move in to waste you. On normal... Pretty much the same thing, just at a slower and more manageable pace. On easy, well, it's pretty easy. Level design isn't too bad, some of the missions are fairly linear, and some are full on scripted, but MW2 was worse.

tl;dr/dc

If you think jumping for a helicopter, missing and a sergeant grabbing your wrist every 30 seconds is good story, don't buy this game. Don't buy it if you dislike over the shoulder documentary style, over the top violence, or have a dodgy computer. Don't buy it if you like console style games, this isn't one. Buy it if you're looking for a gaming experience unlike any you've seen so far, and are open minded enough to enjoy it for what it is. If you're one of those people, you're going to love it, if not, it's going to be the worst thing you've played since whatever Medal of Honor last came out because it copied CoD. :P
  30. Jan 20, 2011
    I'm sorry but I almost didnt buy this game based on the bad reviews some people gave it.. I love COD and BAttlefield2, this is not either of those games, it is however a fresh approach to video gaming, it is more like playing a movie, or like playing the TV show cops???for a lack of better description...I truly enjoyed this and glad I didnt allow the bad reviews to sway me... If there is a 3rd Id buy it.. Been playing FPS's for over 20 years Since the 1st wolfenstein and doom hit the scenes.. And this is deffinatly in the top 10 and I give it 4 stars just for coming up with a fresh approach to FPS action.. It does take a bit of getting used to, but heck BUY IT!!! you wont be dissapointed if your a true gamer :) Expand
  31. Aug 21, 2010

Each

1. Dec 25, 2010
    A massive upgrade on the first game, but don't blame us if you get a bit tired of shooting people in the face. [Issue#244, p.106]
  2. The best advice i can give is to trust your own instincts: even after reading this, if the concept and setting still appeal to you, definitely give it a chance. Just don't expect to feel the same way when it's over.
  3. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is an interesting beast because it really shouldn't exist. Outside of a unique art style it brings nothing new to the genre and does little to improve over the original game, which I might add, was far from a good game.