Katawa Shoujo PC

8.9

1. Feb 19, 2012
    I found this game by chance on this site. A positive review made me download it and try it out. It turned out to be a great idea.

I must say that it is the second visual novel game I have played. I stopped playing the first one after a short time. As you can see, I have almost no experience with these games, I am an average gamer, usually playing the popular and highly reviewed games. I noticed that this title, Katawa Shoujo, has some positive reviews, so why not to give it a try? And so I did and downloaded it from the developer's site.

Running the prologue, even if it was the very beginning of the game, I knew the plot was going to be great. And it was becoming more and more interesting and enjoyable with every hour I spent playing it. Really, this game has one of the most brilliant plots I have ever experienced in any game, any film or any book! It is so touching, the characters are so fascinating that I could not wait to see what happens next, until the very end!

Also the game is surprisingly long, it took me over 14 hours to finish it, which is a great advantage. Playing it feels a little like reading a manga, so if you like it, there is a high chance you will love Katawa Shoujo too.

I really think this game deserves to be more popular. The plot is absolutely great and so are the characters, you just cannot be unconcerned about their fates. I am perfectly convinced everyone seeking a mature, interesting story and fascinating characters is ought to give Katawa Shoujo a try, especially when you can download it for free.
  2. CN9
    Jan 4, 2012
    A surprisingly well done VN by 4LS, released completely free of charge, no less. Production quality was excellent. So far, the routes I've completed have been quite engaging, encouraging hours of play at a time. A sure combination of heartbreaking and heartwarming, I'd really have to rate this a 10/10. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys VNs of this nature.
  3. Jan 4, 2012
    I am not one to normally play "games like this" in fact, I can most likely count the number of times I have played visual novels on one hand, and even that hand goes away when I think of the number I have finished. Generally I steer clear of H-Games just on principle, but even then the games stories never capture me enough to keep me going. Until now.

I started this game, thinking about

I started this game, thinking about how hilarious it was that a group of channers made a game, but the moment I saw the story begin I found myself wanting to know more. The production values are amazing, with the story, artwork, and even FULL MOTION VIDEO being delightfully and professionally displayed. Story wise, the player finds himself in a very similar mindset to the hero, trying to look past peoples disabilities but at the same time being fascinated and unsure of them. It is not hard to find a character that makes you want to move through the story with them, as despite their disabilities they are interesting people. They don't crawl all over you in classic harem style, the game strives to beat back stereotypes of the disabled, and girls in anime. While downloading this game you would be forgiven for thinking that it is just one big joke. The file size is 420mb (coincidence? I think not.). But if you play this game, prepare to fall head over heels in love with this beautiful story and game from Four Leaf Studios. Considering this game is a FREE download, and has the option to turn off H-Scenes, you have no excuse not to go out and download this game now. If only out of curiosity.
  4. Jan 13, 2012
    Usually, I avoid Visual novels due to their being extremely...japanese (I'm not into anime and magas...but don't hate me yet). However, when I heard of this game, I played the demo and It really hooked me in how it's cliche, but with proper reasons! I'll start with technically issues first: I know this game was made from several artists, no problems about it, but I honestly never loved theUsually, I avoid Visual novels due to their being extremely...japanese (I'm not into anime and magas...but don't hate me yet). However, when I heard of this game, I played the demo and It really hooked me in how it's cliche, but with proper reasons! I'll start with technically issues first: I know this game was made from several artists, no problems about it, but I honestly never loved the backgrounds because they totally are in contrast with the style of the characters. On the other side, the drawn scenes are excellent and really high quality, especially the videos; music isn't anything special but it works, but frankly I never actually managed to listen properly, but it does the job done. Leaving out the technical side, I'm gonna explain why this is actually a good story: the MC is actually pitiful, but in a good way. You'll feel his pain and how his life changed by force, you'll see how hard is to live at times in his conditions. That's why the cliche works here: it's reasonable, it's properly settled. And it works! The girls also are great and VERY well detailed in their behaviour, in their issues, in their handicaps: you'll see also their struggle but also how hard it can be to totally pass over it, although after a while I saw them not even mentioning it anymore (probably a choice of the developers?). Some will love some, but frankly all of them must be played in order to see how interesting are the stories, to see how the MC and the girl must go on without being "handicapped" from their problems. Ah yes, about the H-scenes: very good quality imagery, but I still think they are in total contrast with the game, since it's more a romantic game than a hentai game...but i'm just nitpicking. I actually didn't want to give a vote since it's free, but I'll give it anyway and I'll say that it's probably a very good story to play, that will hook you in after few minutes. Expand
  5. Jan 18, 2012
    I have never been as impacted by a game as I have been by this one. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, the story told here ( with special nods to Lilly's section) are among the best I have experienced in a very long time.
  6. Jan 17, 2012
    I write this review oddly touched by this game; Now I am not a "Visual Novel" person. I read comic books and classic literature. I play western videogames, mostly WRPGs and Grand Strategy games. Ive never read manga, and the only anime I was remotely excited about was Dragonball Z. This game has touched me in a way I cannot describe more than any other medium has. And, considering it wasI write this review oddly touched by this game; Now I am not a "Visual Novel" person. I read comic books and classic literature. I play western videogames, mostly WRPGs and Grand Strategy games. Ive never read manga, and the only anime I was remotely excited about was Dragonball Z. This game has touched me in a way I cannot describe more than any other medium has. And, considering it was created by people who met on **** of all places, I am impressed with the quality. I wont bore you with a synopsis since that gives away too many spoilers, but I will say this: jsut try it. sure there's a sex scene, it's "weeaboo" etc all the stigmas about playing an Japanese inspired game. I say just try it. Expand
  7. Jan 21, 2012
    Independent projects such as the one that birth this VN are such a rare occurrence one the internet that one could be left wondering whether experiencing what they have to offer is worth experiencing. In this case, the experience most definitely is. While the story's premise is highly unusual and quite questionable at best to the uninitiated, readers will be able to find an incredibleIndependent projects such as the one that birth this VN are such a rare occurrence one the internet that one could be left wondering whether experiencing what they have to offer is worth experiencing. In this case, the experience most definitely is. While the story's premise is highly unusual and quite questionable at best to the uninitiated, readers will be able to find an incredible amount of empathy for the characters in this story. The sound track is also exceptionally well done and accompanies the story scenes almost perfectly. I would encourage anyone with even a slight interest to experience what this game has to offer. Expand
  8. Mar 22, 2012
    I registered here just to praise this. Never in my life had I read a vn before. I found this on piratebay about a week ago and let my curiosity get the better of me. It blew me away. The english version is pleasingly easy to read. Interesting characters, five different paths. Great soundtrack. Amazing story. 40 hours of gameplay. The list goes on... And all this for no cost at all. It'sI registered here just to praise this. Never in my life had I read a vn before. I found this on piratebay about a week ago and let my curiosity get the better of me. It blew me away. The english version is pleasingly easy to read. Interesting characters, five different paths. Great soundtrack. Amazing story. 40 hours of gameplay. The list goes on... And all this for no cost at all. It's really hard to believe that this is the work of "amateurs." This is a very subjective review. This is one of those things you either love, or hate. What made this especially moving for me, was how I felt connected with the main character. Just like the main character I have a "medical setback"(diabetes.) I need medications every single day to stay alive and healthy. I have also been stuck alone for almost half a year. Just like the main character. Until I played this I never realized how depressed I was. And as I kept playing the story brightened. By the end of my first playthrough, after 8 hours, I feel like my life has changed. I got more lust for life. Hope of a future. Changed my mood from depressed to positive. I have started exercising and eating more healthy. After playing through all the paths, I still can't put it away. To sum up my thoughts, simply unbelievable! Let this story consume you, you wont regret it. Expand
  9. Jan 14, 2012
    It's a game made for a select group of people, there's a lot to read, but if you don't lose patience this game be a extremely entertaining VN. I'm hooked and I think I'll play through every route (maybe I'll skip rin someone asked how she wipes and it grossed me out). visuals are appealing, music is very soothing, the choices run deeper than most games these days(see the piece of ****It's a game made for a select group of people, there's a lot to read, but if you don't lose patience this game be a extremely entertaining VN. I'm hooked and I think I'll play through every route (maybe I'll skip rin someone asked how she wipes and it grossed me out). visuals are appealing, music is very soothing, the choices run deeper than most games these days(see the piece of **** dragon age 2) and the price is certainly fair. Expand
  10. Jan 25, 2012
    Any shortcomings in the production or the medium are very much overcome by what KS offers, and that is a profound, touching, and deeply human experience. Something like this does not come by often in one's lifetime, thus I cannot recommend it highly enough. You simply *must* play/read/experience this.
  11. Feb 17, 2012
    Katawa Shoujo is great, I've spent many hours on it. You must expect to do a lot of reading, because it is quite literally a visual novel. Great writing, although some phrases seem to appear quite a few times throughout the stories. I've recommended this to all of my friends and most of them loved it too, and even for those who didn't like it, they still admitted to the good writing. ForKatawa Shoujo is great, I've spent many hours on it. You must expect to do a lot of reading, because it is quite literally a visual novel. Great writing, although some phrases seem to appear quite a few times throughout the stories. I've recommended this to all of my friends and most of them loved it too, and even for those who didn't like it, they still admitted to the good writing. For the small and odd developer team over 5 years, I'd say it was a job well done, I only wish it was a little longer, although the different endings do give it nice re-playability. The art was well done as far as I'm concerned, but I'm no expert in art design. I think the best thing was how much I got addicted to the story and attached to the characters. I kept forcing myself to stop playing so I could actually sleep. The other thing is the sex scenes, if you're playing this VN for just the sex scenes, don't play it, if you don't want the sex scenes, you can turn them off in options. The sex scenes are actually not overwhelming or overdone, they're interesting, tasteful, and sometimes funny.
    Overall a very nice visual novel with a great story, love it.
  12. Mar 15, 2012
    First, let me say I don't give out a 10 light heartedly. In my mind, I reserve a 10 for the greatest experiences in gaming that I have played so far... it doesn't mean its perfect, just that its the best I know of. Why does Katawa Shoujo deserve a 10 from me? I'm not new to games, but Katawa Shoujo just touched me in a way few others have. I'm not talking about falling hopelessly in loveFirst, let me say I don't give out a 10 light heartedly. In my mind, I reserve a 10 for the greatest experiences in gaming that I have played so far... it doesn't mean its perfect, just that its the best I know of. Why does Katawa Shoujo deserve a 10 from me? I'm not new to games, but Katawa Shoujo just touched me in a way few others have. I'm not talking about falling hopelessly in love with fictional characters(although they are all very memorable and beautifully written) but talking about what this game teaches you and makes you feel. If you could bottle that feel, and drink it every day, you'd be the happiest person on earth. KS basically helps you realize what YOU want in life, helps you empathize and believe in love when you're depressed and down on the whole idea of it, gives you profound life wisdom woven casually in its story arc, it gives you a perspective on disability and inner beauty and (I dont know how they do this) make you feel genuine emotions reading through the banal events of its amazing love stories. By the end of one route, as the credits rolled, I found my cheeks sore from subconciously smiling like an idiot for so damn long. My eyes could not contain the happiness/sadness. I haven't cried in 3 years, but I cried when it ended.

I started running due to KS, the first day I ran 3 km. And this is coming from a guy who can only do 200m if he lays down and pants afterwards. And I kept it up the next day too. And the next. And the next. And I plan to keep doing so. People going into this game for the sex often end up complaining about the lack of 'sex' and 'game', but its so much more, and by the end, you don't even care. I myself took it up as I'd never heard of it and found it beating Battlefield 3(and coming close to Skyrim) on Reddit's Most Played list. That and the fact that a group of **** had apparently gotten together to create this over the course of 5 years and then released it free, no strings attached(actually huge heart pulling strings attached). I've never been more delightfully surprised.
  13. Jan 31, 2012
    A very solid game with an amazing story to it. The characterization and development along the different paths were beyond enjoyable and even carried over to when other path's were taken. This didn't play as a game, but it did come out as a novel. This doesn't phase me at all simply because I don't see a limit on what gaming can entail. I loved the artwork, the music, the emotions, andA very solid game with an amazing story to it. The characterization and development along the different paths were beyond enjoyable and even carried over to when other path's were taken. This didn't play as a game, but it did come out as a novel. This doesn't phase me at all simply because I don't see a limit on what gaming can entail. I loved the artwork, the music, the emotions, and almost everything within the game. A few areas seemed out of place, but such is only a personal preference, not deterring a 10 rating from me. Also considering the shear amount of time needed to complete just one the paths makes the game last a long time. I recommend the game to anyone who enjoys visual novels, and sometimes difficult decisions. Expand
  14. Jan 24, 2012
    Do not start playing this game expecting it to be either a game or hentai, because it is neither. It is a book. If you go into it thinking it is a game, you will be very disappointed, and not because it is bad, but because it is not a game. I did not know this at first, and thought the start of the game was just a dialogue intro showing what happened to your character. After reading theDo not start playing this game expecting it to be either a game or hentai, because it is neither. It is a book. If you go into it thinking it is a game, you will be very disappointed, and not because it is bad, but because it is not a game. I did not know this at first, and thought the start of the game was just a dialogue intro showing what happened to your character. After reading the "intro" for around 10 minutes, I realized that this was how the entire "game" played out. I then started rapidly clicking to see if anything interesting would happen, but doing so is like rapidly flipping through pages in a book. I am not giving it a score* simply because as I said, it is not a game. Having me review this visual novel would be like having my mom review a good game, as she is someone who loves books, but does not personally enjoy videogames. *Turns out you have to rate it, I am putting a 5 simply because it is the middle number Expand
  15. Jan 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Katawa Shoujo is a disappointment, it could have been so much better. but the straight edge approach to it all just ruins the atmosphere. Don't misunderstand, the notion that it should portray the relationships in a (somewhat) serious manner is the right way to go, but when you remove from it nearly every semblance of humor (Kenji being one of the few things about the game that is good) you get an experience that is underwhelming.

The ways in which the relationships between the MC and the girls develop are on the whole pretty decent, nothing amazing but not bad by any stretch of the word. The soundtrack, while fitting, doesn't really stand out much and is on the whole pretty simple. The artwork varies in quality and has consistency issues. Multiple artists, I know, but this has been in development for 5 years. Let that last statement sink in. This has been worked on for 5 years, yet it doesn't feel that way. The game feels like it could have been put together in about a year or so, 18 months at most. For a 5 year project, Katawa Shoujo is lacking.

On the whole the game could have been much better if the whole serious business approach had been declined, in favor of a more regular approach, that is to include humor, and cater more to the specific fetishes that the works direction can include. Why make a Bishoujo game about disabled girls and then dodge around potential scenes that can be included? There isn't anything stopping the game from having humor related to the subject matter while still remaining a 'serious' portrayal of building a relationship with a disabled partner.

Again, I'd like to point out that while KS isn't particularly bad, it isn't really all that good either, it does nothing to stand out and doesn't display a very high level of quality at all given its development period. An ok outing for an indie dev, especially considering where they gathered together and how the idea came about.
  16. Jun 3, 2013
    Interesting VN, not usually my kind of thing but it seemed tastefully done compared to others of the genre. Also if you haven't played this because of the H content, you can disable it.
  17. Aug 12, 2012
    KS is one of the better visual novels available on the English market, at the moment. It has a great engaging (albeit too dark in certain routes) story, fantastic music and, most importantly, it is... believable, for lack of a better word. Of course, the necessary VN cliches are in there, but the characters don't feel overly stereotypical as it happens in many others. It being free is justKS is one of the better visual novels available on the English market, at the moment. It has a great engaging (albeit too dark in certain routes) story, fantastic music and, most importantly, it is... believable, for lack of a better word. Of course, the necessary VN cliches are in there, but the characters don't feel overly stereotypical as it happens in many others. It being free is just an added bonus. Expand
  18. Jun 4, 2012
    I rarely give 10s, but this game really deserves it. All 5 story paths have a remarkable story and teach good lessons, and i shed some manly tears here and there as well. As many people said it's not an H-game, and it's not a dating sim either. It's a book with pictures, just 10x better than what that sounds.
  19. Aug 16, 2012
    It's quite hard to call Katawa Shoujo a game. I'd call it a great visual novel, even if it's the first one I've ever played. It features a lot of very different endings. It is mainly made of perfectly fitting dialogues and thoughts of the main character, but hand-drawn graphics are also really great. I would recommend it for anyone, who enjoyed playing point&click games, reading all of theIt's quite hard to call Katawa Shoujo a game. I'd call it a great visual novel, even if it's the first one I've ever played. It features a lot of very different endings. It is mainly made of perfectly fitting dialogues and thoughts of the main character, but hand-drawn graphics are also really great. I would recommend it for anyone, who enjoyed playing point&click games, reading all of the dialogues. You can't forgot that this game shows also a few eroge scenes, which you can turn off, it you find it necessary. It's not really a type of game in which your main goals are the girls themselves. The story is the main thing that made me complete the game in 100% without getting bored at all. Expand
  20. Feb 10, 2013
    story- the overall game is about YOU. As a teenage boy in highschool that suffers a fatal heart situation. You get transfered to a school for disabled students. gameplay- the game is played in a Visual novel style. using picture slides. and you choosing responses to dialogue between you and whoever. Your life is basically up to you to decide, how you want to spend during your time at thestory- the overall game is about YOU. As a teenage boy in highschool that suffers a fatal heart situation. You get transfered to a school for disabled students. gameplay- the game is played in a Visual novel style. using picture slides. and you choosing responses to dialogue between you and whoever. Your life is basically up to you to decide, how you want to spend during your time at the school.

video the graphics are great for any visual novel styled game. warning: contains nudity. but there is an option to block them if you have problems with that.

audio- the music in the game really sets the mood and matches perfectly with all the dialogue and cutscenes.

overall- the game is the first visual novel styled game i have played and it is one of the better games in general. mostly because the game reacts to all the choices you make. like an rpg almost without the fighting. i wonder if they can incorporate some type of 'QTE' quick time action events in these types of games. it would add some nice quick thinking and responses.
  21. Mar 17, 2013
    This game was constructed beautifully. The plot was bittersweet, alongside a beautiful soundtrack. I nearly cried that the end, with such a great built-up plot that softly touched the lives of disabled lovers, and not being a flood of fan service. Thank you for 5 hours of pure entertainment!
  22. Apr 11, 2013
    A well made Visual Novel, does a fine work with the dating part and the evolution in the girls relationships with the protagonist. However Rin and Emi I just couldn't bring myself to romance. I know the game is based on the core of love someone however he looks like but these two look more like kids to me. The story of Lilly and Hanako on the other side were great and I'll sure not forgetA well made Visual Novel, does a fine work with the dating part and the evolution in the girls relationships with the protagonist. However Rin and Emi I just couldn't bring myself to romance. I know the game is based on the core of love someone however he looks like but these two look more like kids to me. The story of Lilly and Hanako on the other side were great and I'll sure not forget them. Amazing soundtrack especially the track "Afternoon" has a special feel to it and always makes me miss the game. Visuals are good, and story progression is fine. If I would rate this VN comparing it to other dating ones it would be a 9/10, but as far as the general quality of Visual Novels goes, it's a great one but surpassed by a lot others. Expand
  23. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never before have I been so moved by a game, or book, or anything really.
    Firstly, I've never written a review, or played a game even remotely like this, this is more my personal opinion.
    Katawa Shoujo was introduced to me by a couple friends, mostly because they wouldn't stop talking about it, but now I'm the one not shutting up. After a week or so of them talking about it and me blanking out, I decided "What the heck, I'll have a look", and that was the first of many sleepless nights. I stayed up for nights, captivated by the thoughtfully created characters and storyline, the incredible artwork and music (that I'm currently listening to), and literally everything in between.
    I'm going to split all of this up so it nice and clean, different categories and all that.

Music:
    I love every track in this game, even the quirky, weird ones associated with Kenji. They have left me feeling many emotions, my favourite one being 'Wisona', which leaves me in a strange mood, one that I can't describe, as much as I try.
    There are song that make you feel happy, sad, on edge, and as mentioned, in indescribable moods.

Artwork:
    When I first started the game, a name flashed past my eyes during the opening credits, a name I recognized, could it be? And indeed it was, I was thoroughly surprised and thriller to discover that an artist I follow on DeviantART, MikeInel, did the animated sequences for Katawa, this propelled me even more to read it because he animated my favourite animation ever, and he didn't disappoint.
    The same goes for the rest of the artists, the interesting use of backgrounds, the absolutely beautiful fullscreen drawings, especially the ones at the end of each storyline that I could only dream to recreate.
    The only downside to the artwork (and possibly the entire game) is I personally thought there were too little variations of expressions during dialogue, but the times it felt like that were only in the less important moments.
    Overall, the artwork was done incredibly well, nice and neat, but at the same time a bit sketched, which I think worked great.

Characters:
    If only triple A game developers put this much effort into their characters, their stories, emotions, feelings and thoughts. In every story I found a way I could relate to the character, My friends and I have agreed that I am a male version of Rin, we are both absentminded artists, who think about the world in different ways than most people, I found myself about to predict what she was thinking in a way, despite most people finding her the most confusing and least relatable.
    Each girl's story made me feel something different, from Emi I found a sense of motivation, which I have been lacking lately, From Lilly, I learnt to look at things from different perspectives (how ironic...), from Rin... well I'm not sure, but that's Rin for you isn't it? From Hanako, I felt a lot, I was really satisfied with the ending, but throughout the story I felt incredibly strongly towards everything that happened, and I don't know how to describe it any better than that, apart from it left me with a strange empty feeling in my chest, but it wasn't good or bad.
    Now some may have noticed I haven't mentioned yet, and though I enjoyed the story most of the time, I along with many others, felt it was the weakest story unfortunately, yet I could still relate to her, mostly through her hearing, though my hearing loss is only partial, anyway, back to the review-y bit.
    So even though I enjoyed the story, the thing that brought it down was the ending, the way I interpreted it was pretty much "See you in 10 years or whatever", which does ruin something you've spent hours playing. None the less, I'm a forgiving person, and everyone makes mistakes, it's only human.

The story itself:
    Now I'm your typical teenager, troubled by thing I need not trouble about, yet I do anyway.. yep I'm dumb, or more was dumb.
    The stories in Katawa were ones I could relate to (I'm using that a lot) in nearly every way, I've actually overcome personal problems from relating myself to Hisao and his problems. On top of that, seeing the characters, though they may not be real (though I wish they were), seeing them overcome their disabilities made me realise that my problems aren't worth worrying about, there are people out there in the real world who have similar problems as the characters, yet they don't sit around moping.

Anyway, enough rambling about personal experiences, sorry about that. Overall this is my personal favourite story ever, books, games TV shows, movies, whatever, this is the best in my opinion. I went in not expecting much, as my friend mention it was a dating simulator, but I never really realised that. Also the mature sections, I never really though of them as arousing or anything, I'm a teenage boy mind you. I will admit, that at many points I did end up crying, and I'm not the only one.

If you haven't played it, go get it, it's free, and go into it with an open mind.
  24. Oct 20, 2014
    This game is very good and inspiring ,I usually dont like japanese games or graphic novels,I dont watch anime or read manga,but this game catched my attention. The story is inmersive,you care about every character and you can play it for hours. Its a date sim,a beatiful love story. This game has 5 girls to date and many different endings for each one based on your choices, the only reasonThis game is very good and inspiring ,I usually dont like japanese games or graphic novels,I dont watch anime or read manga,but this game catched my attention. The story is inmersive,you care about every character and you can play it for hours. Its a date sim,a beatiful love story. This game has 5 girls to date and many different endings for each one based on your choices, the only reason I scored it 8/10 and not 10/10 its because Shi Zune path is very poorly written,its the worst path you can take,if you end up going to Shi Zune house in your first playthrough restart the game and go with someone else,as you may end up dissapointed with the game.The other paths are genius while Shi Zune looks a bad soap opera (androginous gay boy for brother,46 year old father who looks like the hulk,yells all the time,insults everyone for no reason and carries a sword like if that was normal for a japanese person,etc.) Expand
  25. Aug 16, 2014
    I thought I needed to finish a game before deciding on a rating, especially one that hints and dabbles at being called perfection. But, alas, I think I wronged my own self by making such a statement. Katawa Shoujo is brilliance, and even after less than four hours of playtime I have to urge anybody who enjoys a character based story (emphasis on the word story, as it is more of a visualI thought I needed to finish a game before deciding on a rating, especially one that hints and dabbles at being called perfection. But, alas, I think I wronged my own self by making such a statement. Katawa Shoujo is brilliance, and even after less than four hours of playtime I have to urge anybody who enjoys a character based story (emphasis on the word story, as it is more of a visual novel than a game. Though it is indeed interactive at some parts of it) to give it a go. It made the small amount of hours I had left in my house (before I have to depart to other, less enjoyable tasks) very enjoyable and filled with emotionally-draught pleasure Expand
  26. Apr 15, 2014
    I don't really play these sorts of games, but my friend asked me to try it and I did. This game is one of my favorite PC games of all time now. After I finished the fairly lengthy game (around 10 hours, maybe) I really started to think to myself and started to change some things in my life that I do. Really amazing game overall and I recommend anyone who is interested to play immediately.
  27. Jun 29, 2014
    Even though this Visual Novel has a first impression as an H-Game, once you start to play it, it will touch your feelings. No matter which route you take, the story and the mood of it will touch you. Plus, you can't help but to get attached to the characters once you get to know them (I know they are not real to all of you that say "they are not real, it is just a game".) like with myEven though this Visual Novel has a first impression as an H-Game, once you start to play it, it will touch your feelings. No matter which route you take, the story and the mood of it will touch you. Plus, you can't help but to get attached to the characters once you get to know them (I know they are not real to all of you that say "they are not real, it is just a game".) like with my route with Emi since she was my first route that I had experienced.

If you did work on this, I would like to say thank you to you all that made this game that touched my feelings and my heart.
  28. Jul 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not a huge fan of Visual Novels due the fact that in many VN, the plot and tropes that related to it was 'overused', the story were done poorly and only focused on the H-scene or Playboy-Mode. And VN is not a popular genre for mainstream audience because 'I don't read games'. But as a person who enjoys reading AND Video games, Katawa Shoujo came out differently.

Sure, when I first heard it I was kinda disgust with the idea and the origins of the development, but I give benefit of doubt to see if this game is actually good, AND IT IS.

The characters are relate-able and has a good foundation, the story (excluding **** storyline) for a 'Bunch of Amateur' was decent, the endings can make you cry, the soundtrack was amazing (although, short. Average track only last for 1 - 2 minutes and the longest one is only 4 minutes, comparing it to other video games like Halo or FEZ it is short), and the whole moral behind the story (if you understand) is a huge slap in your face.

Emi lost her leg but she's "The Fastest Thing with No Legs", Rin doesn't even have hands but could produce beautiful paintings, **** is mute and deaf but she can be a leader, Lily is blind but she's an independent woman, and what many of us (players) who have a complete body with no defects or whatever doing ?

In the end, this is not just a game for those nerdy-pervs with weird fetish like everybody thinks, but it's a game that has a good moral story, and it's free.
  29. Dec 14, 2014
    Ignore the critics' ratings, they were based on a Beta 6-12 months before it's release. I was never into this kind of games and never played anything similar before. Honestly, I downloaded the game only because I was promised hentai scenes, and since the first minute of game-play I got hooked into the story, hit with feels and fell in love with this masterpiece.
  30. Sep 21, 2015
    Katawa Shoujo was quite a strange experience, this was my first Visual Novel, I wasn't expecting anything from it other than H scenes and I was actually a bit scared of what I was going to find in this game. Visual Novels don't have a very "good" image on the internet, normally seen as weeaboo material for people who don't enjoy regular adult content and want more "character development"Katawa Shoujo was quite a strange experience, this was my first Visual Novel, I wasn't expecting anything from it other than H scenes and I was actually a bit scared of what I was going to find in this game. Visual Novels don't have a very "good" image on the internet, normally seen as weeaboo material for people who don't enjoy regular adult content and want more "character development" to your usual erotic.
    Of course, I downloaded this game in secret. It is quite strange to say that this is the best game I have ever played.
    It has poor gameplay, even for VS standards. Few choices and almost no actual "entertainment", this is basically a book.
    What makes it great is the "human" aspect of the game. It is something that is very hard to find in games, the feeling that this is man-made. You can feel the warmth of the game, the sole humanity of the characters and the story, even the flaws make it feel human. This is the most warm, honest and human experience I have ever felt in any game, book or movie. I can't believe this was made by people with almost no experience making Visual novels. I have no words to express the effect this game had on me, it changed me as a person and marked my teenage years, this will always have a place in my heart.
  31. Dec 4, 2014
    Beautiful. That is enough said. There are some inappropriate images for kids, but very few. This is not perverse, it only shows a loving accepting portrayal of the character you choose to be. I am a man that many would be shocked to see cry, yet i bawled like a baby several times during this exploratory game/novel. The connection and just captivating story made this one of the mostBeautiful. That is enough said. There are some inappropriate images for kids, but very few. This is not perverse, it only shows a loving accepting portrayal of the character you choose to be. I am a man that many would be shocked to see cry, yet i bawled like a baby several times during this exploratory game/novel. The connection and just captivating story made this one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life, and yes, I'm saying these 2 years later. Expand
  32. Mar 31, 2016
    Не знаю почему эту игру так нахваливают, да довольно приятная, атмосферная игрушка (местами нудная и скучноватая), не говорю что плохая, но точно не 10/10 и не лучшая визуальная новелла
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Mar 4, 2012
    The writing isn't lyrical, but it's warm and honest enough to be carried by the character art, photographed settings, and music that surround it.
  2. Jan 6, 2012
    Katawa Shoujo is more of an interactive ebook than a full fledged dating sim, but by using a faire, smart, and humourous tone in dealing with its disabled characters, it takes by surprise all those who could have tagged Four Leaf Studio as a band of pervs.