7.5

1. Jun 3, 2013
    Kentucky Route Zero is certainly a memorable experience but I simply cannot overlook how absurdly expensive it is. It's a five-act game where the first act can be completed in an hour, and that's if you take your time and explore absolutely everything, so it would be reasonable to assume that you're paying 18 euros for five hours of gameplay and you don't even get all five hours at once.Kentucky Route Zero is certainly a memorable experience but I simply cannot overlook how absurdly expensive it is. It's a five-act game where the first act can be completed in an hour, and that's if you take your time and explore absolutely everything, so it would be reasonable to assume that you're paying 18 euros for five hours of gameplay and you don't even get all five hours at once. And I'm not sure if the term "gameplay" is even correct here since this is very much an interactive story and it's not obvious if your dialogue choices affect anything at all. It's a fascinating start to what might turn out to be a truly memorable story, but I'd strongly advise waiting until the game is complete and the price is much, much lower. Or you can watch someone else play it and have pretty much the same experience. Expand
  2. Apr 14, 2013
    I like this game, as it does a good job of creating a haunting atmosphere. Would normally give it an 8 but one thing knocks my score down and that's the choice of how to release the game. 25 bucks for part of a game now, and the rest of the parts later when they get around to releasing them. Really? I bought it because I figured each act would be long enough to suffice paying such a priceI like this game, as it does a good job of creating a haunting atmosphere. Would normally give it an 8 but one thing knocks my score down and that's the choice of how to release the game. 25 bucks for part of a game now, and the rest of the parts later when they get around to releasing them. Really? I bought it because I figured each act would be long enough to suffice paying such a price point but I guess I was the fool. Act 1 only takes about 2 hours. It's a cool game but I would recommend waiting for more of the parts to release before purchasing it. Collapse
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    It's more a point & click play through video than a game. Incredibly short, i finished it in one 2.5 hour train ride. That said, it was intensely interesting and created a realistically creepy feel. Well done, but the lack of real choice or length of play took what could have been a 10 down to a 6 fo rme.
  4. Sep 5, 2014
    One of the games that can't be really compared with games from big studios.
    For an Indie game I'd give it 9/10, but if put in a list together with 2013 games like Bioshock or FarCry3 6/10 is generous.
    Positive: cool, mysterious art design and story. Negative: buying and installing this game might take more time than playing it. Game would really benefit from voice-over.
  5. Nov 3, 2014
    Just finnished Act 1, and I'm excited to see where this is going. The game has a sort of poetic, mysterious, "ghost-noir" vibe to it. Something that I can't really say I've found in another games. It's not really scary, it's just... eerie? But also kind of cozy at times. Needless to say it's beatifully crafted visually, and mechanically it focuses completely on story-telling. While I amJust finnished Act 1, and I'm excited to see where this is going. The game has a sort of poetic, mysterious, "ghost-noir" vibe to it. Something that I can't really say I've found in another games. It's not really scary, it's just... eerie? But also kind of cozy at times. Needless to say it's beatifully crafted visually, and mechanically it focuses completely on story-telling. While I am enjoying the story, I often feel like I'm mentally "one step ahead" of the twists. That's kind of a bummer, because if the game had managed to surprise me just a little bit more, I could really see myself being blown away by now. Expand
  6. Jan 18, 2015
    This feels like a cross between an animated visual novel and an adventure game, interesting story telling if you can get into the storyline, a bit on the fence myself.
  7. Apr 14, 2013

1. May 13, 2013
    Kentucky Route Zero is basically a simple adventure game, but it's so achingly well put-together that it really becomes an experience like no other. Can't wait for the rest of the episodes! [May 2013]
  2. May 7, 2013
    Inspired by traditional point’n’click games, Kentucky Route Zero steers clear of puzzles, picking up objects and using everything on everything else. Instead it offers a distinct mood comparable to Alan Wake. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.75]
  3. May 6, 2013
    If you’re not into art house video games, steer clear of Kentucky Route Zero. And even if you’re always first in line to try some weird experience, wait until they release the remaining acts. Right now, it’s hard to say what this is: a breakthrough or a hyped-up bubble.