7.9

1. Dec 27, 2011
    This game is tricky to review. The idea does make sense and the mood of 1940s LA is captured perfectly. However, the game gets quite repetitive and a bit boring later on and there is also quite a few bugs and glitches. It also tries to shovel in unnecessary FPS action into it. If you are thinking of buying this, be cautious.
  2. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is like a boring film. To long, to boring I took one mission for more than 3 hours! Lost the mission. After that I do not want to play this ... But,It can not be called a bad game
  3. Jul 4, 2012
    LA Noire is a masterpiece! if you love deduction, the 40's atmosphere and some outstanding actors performance, you really got to play this one! I'm 60% at the time of reviewing, and there is almost no downside to this game! As of today (July2012) , the game is overall good optimized! (Intel Q9550, GTX560Ti, 4GB DDR2...) fast loading, stable 30 fps, all on max, really decent graphics!LA Noire is a masterpiece! if you love deduction, the 40's atmosphere and some outstanding actors performance, you really got to play this one! I'm 60% at the time of reviewing, and there is almost no downside to this game! As of today (July2012) , the game is overall good optimized! (Intel Q9550, GTX560Ti, 4GB DDR2...) fast loading, stable 30 fps, all on max, really decent graphics!

i don't tend review games on metacritic, i made for this one an exception, cause it is really a good one!
  4. Feb 21, 2013
    LA Noire is an excellent game. The investigative gameplay is enjoyable, as is quizzing the suspects and witnesses. The weakest parts of the game are car chases and foot chases/shootouts, but fortunately those are brief and far in between.

The story is good and the main body of the game is good. While the ending is not as good as it could be, overall, the game is still quite excellent and well worth your time (and money).

Why not a 10/10? A few reasons.

1) The ending. After spending the whole game investigating, the final level of the game involves you running around killing people with a flamethrower. I'm not even joking. While this sort of gameplay is interspersed throughout the game and isn't wonderful when it comes up, it is rare enough that it is fine. It overstays its welcome at the end of the game.

2) While the acting in the game is overall quite good, when you let suspects sit around after questioning them, some of them behave... very oddly. And not in the "oh we're obviously guilty" way, but in the "the actor is clearly trying to convey SOMETHING but it is hard to tell what" kind of way. The motions end up exaggerated, and as this is one of the things you're supposed to be using to tell whether a suspect or witness is lying or not, it is a bit of a problem the motions are so unnatural that you can't tell what they're supposed to be doing.

3) This is a minor point, but there are a few times in the story where you are presented with two suspects and you are forced to charge one or the other, but it is obvious that neither of them is actually guilty of the crime at hand there's no option NOT to charge them, which would be the correct choice. While not a big deal, it would have been nice to have the ability not to lay charges in some cases.
  5. Jul 2, 2012
    To start with, I can honestly say I've never had a love for a video game like I've had for L.A. Noire. The graphics are not the greatest ever seen, detail in objects lacks; how ever during interrogations, facial expressions are very well drawn. I don't full-on action games, I like ones that have a strong story line to aid it; L.A. Noire's story is the best graphical story I've comeTo start with, I can honestly say I've never had a love for a video game like I've had for L.A. Noire. The graphics are not the greatest ever seen, detail in objects lacks; how ever during interrogations, facial expressions are very well drawn. I don't full-on action games, I like ones that have a strong story line to aid it; L.A. Noire's story is the best graphical story I've come across so far. The characters are very well described throughout the story and scenes in the game make you think. There is no shortage of surprises and suspense is not scarce. If you're one to enjoy a mysterious but thrilling action game (with some very nice jazz in the background), then L.A. Noire is without competition. Expand
  6. Nov 16, 2011
    l.a noire is very good , you're so out of luck. A dual core is no longer considered mid range even. Even basic boxes all come with dual core. Quit kidding yourself. I also hear this is a bad port. I got news for you guys, PC's only represent 10% of the gaming market. Until the next gen consoles come out that all support DX11, yâ
  7. Nov 25, 2011
    At the highest settings, this game looks like something from the PS2 era. The gameplay is slow, plodding and dull with terrible, floaty controls. The tutorial tips are slow and misleading - during one of the early missions when you chase a suspect, it tells you to hold RMB to stand and aim at him. When you shoot him, you fail the mission because he was injured. This kind of problem plaguesAt the highest settings, this game looks like something from the PS2 era. The gameplay is slow, plodding and dull with terrible, floaty controls. The tutorial tips are slow and misleading - during one of the early missions when you chase a suspect, it tells you to hold RMB to stand and aim at him. When you shoot him, you fail the mission because he was injured. This kind of problem plagues LA Noire at every step. Questioning is unintuitive, driving is wonky (sharply turning a corner will leave the camera taking seconds catching up to the direction of the car, while you plough through traffic and pedestrians), shooting is terrible.

It has a few positive merits - the writing appears to be good and the facial animation is very well-done, but it does not justify the £18 I will never see again. It's both an adventure game and an action game and it's a terrible example of either one. If you can run it, get the flawed but infinitely more enjoyable Mafia 2 instead.
  8. Nov 9, 2011
    THIS GAME DOES NOT WORK ON STEAM. I pre-ordered this game and have tried to load it up repeatedly using different fixes (UAC disabled, run with admin, etc.). It just loads up the first screen and the start menu is missing so there is no way to begin. I emailed Rocksteady the problem and they are "looking into adding it to the knowledge base". I dropped $45 on a pre-order game that doesTHIS GAME DOES NOT WORK ON STEAM. I pre-ordered this game and have tried to load it up repeatedly using different fixes (UAC disabled, run with admin, etc.). It just loads up the first screen and the start menu is missing so there is no way to begin. I emailed Rocksteady the problem and they are "looking into adding it to the knowledge base". I dropped $45 on a pre-order game that does not work at launch and now am just sitting around hoping for a fix. Such a buzz-kill on a game I was really looking forward to and I am so disappointed in Rockstar and Steam. Expand
  9. Nov 8, 2011
    I've only played ~30 minutes or so, but it's hard to go much further due to the terrible controls. I was able to deal with them through the first investigations/brawl, but once you get to the robbery (fairly early on in the game) it's practically impossible to keep playing. The already strange controls become even more frustrating once you entire the game's first gunfight and it's badI've only played ~30 minutes or so, but it's hard to go much further due to the terrible controls. I was able to deal with them through the first investigations/brawl, but once you get to the robbery (fairly early on in the game) it's practically impossible to keep playing. The already strange controls become even more frustrating once you entire the game's first gunfight and it's bad enough that I'm going to wait until a patch (assuming they bother with one). As far as graphics go, they have a decent selection of graphics settings but overall the game looks fairly dated and it's clear that they didn't add much aside from better shadows/view distance for the PC release. Higher-res textures should've been included, it's pretty obvious how bad the textures are when playing on a PC (due to being closer to your monitor). Another thing that stood out are the settings for anti-aliasing which only seems to support FXAA, a form of AA designed to work better on NVIDIA cards. Personally I have an ATI card so FXAA doesn't work nearly as well as it would if I were using NVIDIA. I haven't tried forcing AA through CCC, I'll probably do that once they improve the controls.

Thankfully I didn't spend any $ on this as I had credit on the website I purchased it from (GreenManGaming) or I would've regretted my purchase.
  10. Nov 12, 2011
    Bit dull and boring really, story line doesnt get good until half way through. Rockstar would have been better served making Red Dead Redemption for PC rather than this. Feel like I wasted my money on this :( . Not worth £30+ from Steam. Maybe £15, but its certainly not very exciting or fun.
  11. Dec 4, 2012
    Nice game.Rockstar haven't disappointed me yet,i was shocked by the awesome idea and the product.It takes me to the 1940s L.A. ,unlike GTA i always act as a criminal i finally can be a police this day.And the kinds of clues and the system of investigate and the EXP system ,all of all can be called nice,although its not a perfect game,i still give it a 10 score.10 score doesn't mean perfect,right?
  12. Sep 9, 2014
    Since they felt the need to put this on the front page of Steam again, I thought I'd come point out that this is one of the worst PC ports you can play. It's capped at 30 FPS(ugh), meaning it's very choppy. It also has a lot of issues that were never fixed.It's a shame really because it's a nice looking game, but it was basically shovelwared to PC with no effort or respect for theSince they felt the need to put this on the front page of Steam again, I thought I'd come point out that this is one of the worst PC ports you can play. It's capped at 30 FPS(ugh), meaning it's very choppy. It also has a lot of issues that were never fixed.It's a shame really because it's a nice looking game, but it was basically shovelwared to PC with no effort or respect for the platform. It's a lot like the Dark Souls PC port, which is also terrible. And like that game, it's highly rated. These games are TERRIBLE on PC, yet have glaring ratings. This is why you shouldn't trust Metacritic with console ports. Everyone is over rating these because the console version is good... that's nice and all... except that we're talking about the PC version here, in the PC section, and on Steam. You can also read plenty of reports about crashes or freezes(from people that have actually played it).

If you want this, get it on a console. Do not get it on PC. The PC version is absolutely terrible, and most of the reviews(even in the PC section of Metacritic) are praising it because of the console version, aka, idiots that'll probably never even try the version they are giving positive ratings to. Rockstar is another company that cares very little about the PC players, usually just shovelware porting their console games onto the platform. Btw, it also has Rockstar Studios attached to it, even on the Steam version.
    -Drain (Steam)
  13. Feb 24, 2012
    Fun game, but piss poor crossover into the PC platform. Game runs slow and makes it pretty much unplayable. It's a shame, I like the game, but won't play it now. I only hope that Rockstar makes GTA V PC playable.
  14. Dec 30, 2011
    The interviews were an interesting concept at 1st but it quickly became boring. The game feels like it doesn't really matter what you do it'll eventually come to an end. I never bothered to finish it because I became saturated by boredom. The driving wasn't all that interesting and the combat scenes were poor at best mostly due to controls.
  15. Jan 1, 2012
    Please, please don't waste your money on this game for the PC. I can see how it's probably a decent game for the 360/PS3 but this port is just ridiculously bad. I'm glad that I only spent 12.00 on it for the Steam sale. Even then it really isn't worth it.
  16. Jul 8, 2012
    The game lured me in with a 1940s seetting, and then delivered one of the better written stories, i've experienced, in a beautiful and detailed city. The length of the game is impressing, and most cases have an own story to tell, so the game won't feel all the same. The "motion capture" technique used to recreate the faces of actors is just amazing, and you can actually recognize theThe game lured me in with a 1940s seetting, and then delivered one of the better written stories, i've experienced, in a beautiful and detailed city. The length of the game is impressing, and most cases have an own story to tell, so the game won't feel all the same. The "motion capture" technique used to recreate the faces of actors is just amazing, and you can actually recognize the actors and see real faces, rather then a animated version. A bonus is that the DLC that comes with this version of the game is actually weaved in with the main storyline, rather than having some random cases with no connection to the game afterwards. Loved it! Try it! Expand
  17. Feb 11, 2012
    Played for 3 hours and then quit after becoming bored. I don't buy games so it can play for me. This game is bacially a interactive movie and even a training-wheels for Grand Theft Auto games. The city is overdone, there is so much to explore but no real "free mode". A linear story mode. **** graphics. I've seen better in GTA4. Too much cutscenes. Too little controls. Basically just pushPlayed for 3 hours and then quit after becoming bored. I don't buy games so it can play for me. This game is bacially a interactive movie and even a training-wheels for Grand Theft Auto games. The city is overdone, there is so much to explore but no real "free mode". A linear story mode. **** graphics. I've seen better in GTA4. Too much cutscenes. Too little controls. Basically just push the left stick up to get on ladders and climb up, similar to call of duty - a sign that it is designed for consoles in mind. Expand
  18. JYT
    Jan 6, 2012
    On PC Windows 7. The graphism are well made and the characters looks cool. Unfortunately the controls when driving the car is totally awful it made the playabilty awful. It is also a bas idea to save automatically while driving or chasing a bad guy, all stops and then the car does not respond and crashes. Like assassin creed, the story is linear which means you either pass each stage orOn PC Windows 7. The graphism are well made and the characters looks cool. Unfortunately the controls when driving the car is totally awful it made the playabilty awful. It is also a bas idea to save automatically while driving or chasing a bad guy, all stops and then the car does not respond and crashes. Like assassin creed, the story is linear which means you either pass each stage or you don't progress. there are not multiple route to the end which is poor really. The character should reach the end by multiple routes. Expand
  19. Jul 29, 2012
    Not worth your time or money, it's just another **** console port released by Rockstar. Not only is the main character completely unlikeable, the game is also inconsistent in the way it handles "evidence". Good job, Rockstar! Then we have the ridiculous serial killer planting evidence all over the city and in peoples homes setting other people up for crimes they did not do. REALLY,Not worth your time or money, it's just another **** console port released by Rockstar. Not only is the main character completely unlikeable, the game is also inconsistent in the way it handles "evidence". Good job, Rockstar! Then we have the ridiculous serial killer planting evidence all over the city and in peoples homes setting other people up for crimes they did not do. REALLY, ROCKSTAR?! REALLY?!!??! What finally ruined it for me was the INDIANA JONES-STYLE **** that you have to do later in the game. What the **** were they thinking?! Chandelier-swinging in a game like L.A. Noire?! **** you, Rockstar! **** you sideways in the ass with a two-by-four! ZERO POINTS to you Rockstar for ****ing this game up so badly! Expand
  20. Jun 29, 2012
    This game is a diamond in the rough. The graphics look dated, although all the face related things are quite good. The game play is decent but not amazing. The place where this game really shines is the story. The story is fantastic and the characters are all extremely well done. Would recommend this game to anyone who is patient enough to see through it's flaws.
  21. Jul 8, 2015
    More adventure and mystery than GTA or Red Dead Redemption, mind you, but Rockstar just makes amazing games. There is still some driving (which thankfully can be skipped 90% of the time with sort-of fast travel) and some shooting, but it is mostly clue searching and question asking. The meat of the game is judging every answer you get with Truth, Doubt, or Lie - and if you select Lie, youMore adventure and mystery than GTA or Red Dead Redemption, mind you, but Rockstar just makes amazing games. There is still some driving (which thankfully can be skipped 90% of the time with sort-of fast travel) and some shooting, but it is mostly clue searching and question asking. The meat of the game is judging every answer you get with Truth, Doubt, or Lie - and if you select Lie, you have to present evidence you've found to prove it.

It did get boring and I wish it was about 30% shorter or tightened up a bit. It also got a bit repetitive. The story was pretty good with some minor holes, but probably worth your play. It's a unique game.
  22. Jun 6, 2015
    The good: facial animations are great, game feels unique.
    The bad: game gets old quickly, it fails to fully engage the player, graphics look dated.
    Conclusion: it's a pity that the developers could not deliver an engaging game for such unique idea.
  23. Sep 17, 2012
    Actually this game could have been done better. Controls are pain the ass, especially in fight or other sequences. You can skip them, sometimes it's the only way to move forward. City is huge but kinda empty. However very good music and sounds are remainding noir classics. Lets just say this game is decent console port but nothing more.
  24. Jun 13, 2014
    Had this game for about a year and did not play it because my computer could just about handle it at the lowest - made for poor gameplay. Just got a new computer with i7 / 3 gig card and poor performance is gone all the way cranked up - I agree with the low scorers here as the graphics are not the best, even for 2012. However, if you really get into it and try to analyze witness/suspectHad this game for about a year and did not play it because my computer could just about handle it at the lowest - made for poor gameplay. Just got a new computer with i7 / 3 gig card and poor performance is gone all the way cranked up - I agree with the low scorers here as the graphics are not the best, even for 2012. However, if you really get into it and try to analyze witness/suspect correctly you are rewarded with some (very little?) content (and self satisfaction)-and its more than just looking at their facial expressions, you need to look back the clues and even the dialog flow to get it right. Which does make for a slow paced game, more of a puzzle game vs. an action game. Driving / Action Sequences / Shoot Outs are pretty much textbook Rockstar material. IMO its a fun game, showing a lot of originality. if you have a decent computer to get past performance issues, can immerse yourself as a beat cop, detective, homicide cop, etc. to get to the truth, and are not ADD, you will like the game - gave it the anti-troll 10 but is more like an 8 for me. Expand
  25. Jan 16, 2013
    I wasn't as impressed as I was interested with this game. This game barely looks anything like a real detective investigation. The interviews are ridiculous. Nine times out of ten I'll get a wrong answer in each of them, all because I believed in what the witness had to say.
  26. Aug 5, 2012
    Pros: The storyline is good.
    Cons: The game is REALLY boring. I played it for 23 hours and I can't believe I'm not in the middle of the storyline.
    This game will take forever to finish!!!!!!!
  27. Sep 4, 2014
    LA Noire is a very original game. Great characters, great atmosphere, gread soundtrack, great story. What else can you desire more? I simply loved playing it from the begining to the end.
  28. Sep 19, 2015
    I've owned a copy for STEAM since I've had my account, but I never played it until today, so I installed it and fired the game up.

First impressions? I am not impressed. To begin with, why did Rockstar seem to think it was necessary to force players to make an account for services for their game? This kind of crap drives me nuts. I don't usually ever use the online parts of a game

First impressions? I am not impressed.

To begin with, why did Rockstar seem to think it was necessary to force players to make an account for services for their game? This kind of crap drives me nuts. I don't usually ever use the online parts of a game and I don't like being hassled to sign up for their services ever. They have a way to bypass it, but the fact that they shove it in my face to begin with pisses me off.

I am running a modern machine that plays modern games. This game should run, feel and play amazing on my hardware... And it doesn't. It is constantly lagging, the graphics are dull and lifeless. You would think a PC port that came out almost a decade ago would actually play well on a computer with a 6GB GPU, but no. I searched the STEAM forums and this has been an issue since day one and no one has found a good way to take care of this issue.

The game-play is less then exciting. The entire game is broken up into bits. Search a crime scene --> talk to witnesses --> (sometimes) chase down a perp --> interrogate suspect. This is the way every case goes and while the writing is sometimes interesting, the game gets real old, real fast. In between moments they sprinkle in some gun-play but not enough to make any difference.

In the end, this was a highly over praised game that didn't deserve the accolades it was given.
  29. Jan 21, 2013
    How much time do developers think I should spent reading their stupid names after finishing their mediocrate product? I assume their office pets names are also included in that stupid list. They really think I should terminate program abnormaly? All right, let them get their reward - two points and no ine more.
  30. May 30, 2015
    If you ever happen to see one of the old "Dragnet" TV episodes you will really understand how this game relives much of that old attitude towards crime (the facts m'am, just the facts). You must have the patience of a detective to play, well, the detective. This can be a pro or a con, depending on your preferences. It was interesting and fun to play it once, and it's worth it if the priceIf you ever happen to see one of the old "Dragnet" TV episodes you will really understand how this game relives much of that old attitude towards crime (the facts m'am, just the facts). You must have the patience of a detective to play, well, the detective. This can be a pro or a con, depending on your preferences. It was interesting and fun to play it once, and it's worth it if the price is right. The DLCs do add other interesting cases. This game has great potential if it's ever re-released with more sophisticated game play and investigative cases. Expand
  31. Jun 30, 2013
    Great game, i had a few problems with frame rate but it's easy to solve, just have to change the renderer, that depends on your DX version of your video card. The game it's unique with the interviews. Music and characters are good, graphics are not super detailed but are good too, Motionscan it's the best thing of this game, and it's a pretty interesting game overall, better than a lot ofGreat game, i had a few problems with frame rate but it's easy to solve, just have to change the renderer, that depends on your DX version of your video card. The game it's unique with the interviews. Music and characters are good, graphics are not super detailed but are good too, Motionscan it's the best thing of this game, and it's a pretty interesting game overall, better than a lot of crap games I've seen this year. Expand
  32. Apr 24, 2013
    I was looking forward for this game, since it was so hyped. I've played Mafia (and Mafia 2) before and really enjoyed the atmosphere in these games. I've been forcing myself to return to this game several times now for a period of 3 weeks, but I just can't seem to enjoy it.
    There are a few reasons for this:
    There are a few reasons for this:
    The game has quite high hardware requirements. I'm playing on an iMac 27" (Intel core i7 3,4 GHz., 16 GB. RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6970M w/2GB) but the game still feels sluggish.
    But this isn't the worst of it. The gameplay is what really makes me dislike this game. The idea is good enough, but in reallity you are walking around, clicking the most obvious items for the only reason that the game will continue down the VERY linear story. The dialogs where you have to guess if people lie or tell you the truth seems random if you get right or not. And even if you get them all wrong, the game continues anyway. There is just too little for me to do that amuses me. Most of the time I just have to click to let the story move on. I'd rather see some old detective movie then.

I completely acknowledge the voice acting, animation and facial expression of characters in this game. It's very nicely done. But the game is still boring as hell.
  33. FdO
    Jun 10, 2016
    This game is awful. Probably the worst ever made by Rockstar. Do not buy it! It looks like something made in '97 with 2011 graphics. The gameplay is awful, with a lot of restrictions. Sad, but it looks like an EA Game...
  34. Jul 3, 2013
    Great game.Not so easy and the detective mode is cool too.Very long story.

The gameplay is also very good. Rockstar has made a very good game. The ranking system is one that i liked most
  35. Aug 31, 2013
    L.A. Noire is one of the best games I have played in a long time. It has an interesting story, with an even more interesting back story. The game does an amazing job in capturing the atmosphere and the style in the late 40s. Another feature is the amazing use of face capture, the create amazing facial expressions. This is necessary to answer the questions. The Story might be (at someL.A. Noire is one of the best games I have played in a long time. It has an interesting story, with an even more interesting back story. The game does an amazing job in capturing the atmosphere and the style in the late 40s. Another feature is the amazing use of face capture, the create amazing facial expressions. This is necessary to answer the questions. The Story might be (at some points) rather slow, but that time is used for character building, and it never gets boring. The only negative thing I had with the game are the controls. Somehow it was a little hard to aim. But maybe that's just me. Overall an amazing game that I would definitely recomend this game. Expand
  36. Nov 9, 2013
    Loved investigate crimes, to look for clues.

A good story. Facial expressions are just super-heroes realistic. Very cool to sit and question people decide their fate, to be a good cop. After this game, I fell in love with the genre "noir." The game is worth playing.

Thank you for this game released for the PC. I really like this game!
  37. May 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. L.A Noire follows a police officer through his cases and then a detective, the game brings back memories and its generally a brilliant game, honestly it nails its atmosphere and Immersives you in the shoes of a detective, and the game's story requires you to pay attention to the story and evidence, honestly its brilliant, must buy. Expand
  38. May 12, 2015
    One of the best games we've played. The story is superb, evolution actors mia not say. The city created real faorte. It's a great game .
  39. Oct 7, 2014
    I would have reviewed this game but the boxed copy i bought won't go further than the lanoire menu as it says "error receiving patch details" the abruptly closes, if this version had a steam code in the box like so many other games this would not have been a problem...
  40. Jul 3, 2016
    L.A. Noire was a game which maked me return to games. It features a lot of cool missions where you will be investigating different crimes, and take a control of Cole Phelps — a detective from Los Angeles. There is a big familiarity with well-known GTA, Mafia, and it's combination of these games. The first things you will love in this game are graphics, story missions, gameplay. Really,L.A. Noire was a game which maked me return to games. It features a lot of cool missions where you will be investigating different crimes, and take a control of Cole Phelps — a detective from Los Angeles. There is a big familiarity with well-known GTA, Mafia, and it's combination of these games. The first things you will love in this game are graphics, story missions, gameplay. Really, it's interesting to decide who is guilty and who is innocent. In a nutshell, this game is as good as GTA, RDR, Max Payne. Expand
  41. Jun 22, 2016
    L.A. Noire is too damn long and too damn grim. These same issues plague most of Rockstar's recent titles (At least in Max Payne 3, it will be justifiable). That said, it's linearity actually felt like a break from the daunting sandboxes of GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption, and its focus on investigation and dialogue evokes the feel of old-school adventure games. The combat felt tacked on,L.A. Noire is too damn long and too damn grim. These same issues plague most of Rockstar's recent titles (At least in Max Payne 3, it will be justifiable). That said, it's linearity actually felt like a break from the daunting sandboxes of GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption, and its focus on investigation and dialogue evokes the feel of old-school adventure games. The combat felt tacked on, but the car chases were probably my favorite sections, and I found myself wishing there had been more of them. The game's touted facial animation technology is indeed impressive, and the dialogue mostly well-writen, giving the game a true cinematic quality. It has a few story elements I could have done without, but there's a few sequences- the trail of riddles left by the Black Dahlia murderer, the shootout at the movie set, the entire Nicholson Electroplating case- that made the tedium of the overall length of the game feel somewhat worthwhile. Expand
  42. Aug 28, 2015
    I'm going to be kind and give this a 4. the world is beautiful and rich, the story is apparently fantastic, the characters filled out and detailed, and the missions varied.
    But this game, if you can call it that, fails at so many levels. At no point does it ever encourage mere exploration of the vast and beautiful recreation of LA. the detective mechanics are weak, vibrating controller to find clues? I'm on PC! and regularly vague choices leading to inevitable failure (you can accuse someone of a lie based on evidence you know and have found, yet are unable to present it ,and ultimately fail the accusation)
    The actual searching mechanic is slow, clunky and jarring every time you use it, zooming in on detailed objects in much less detailed environments. triggers for searching are also far to small or far to large, sometimes able to look at a simple bottle on the ground instead of the very obvious knife on side-walk.
    Overall, as a detective game LA noire fails, with more modern examples excelling, as a technological piece it fails, with the motion capture just too slow and already dated, and as a world with such a beautifully crafted world, it fails to allow you to view the beauty without constantly feeling punished.
  43. Mar 19, 2014
    I already reviewed the PS3 version of this game, the PC version is noticeable improved on visuals and performance, below my review:
    L.A.Noire is a mature, immersive and very well produced adventure. Don't expect a traditional sandbox or an action game, L.A.Noire is much more close to old (and great) investigative adventures we had on PC years and years ago.
    The environments are extremely
    The environments are extremely detailed and polished, every corner you explore is convincing and rich in details, the city is vast and amazing, cars are also impressive. Narrative is mature, deep and capture the "Noir" feeling and mood well. Characters are deep, something rare in video games, and will stay with you long after you finish the game.
    Facial animation is truly outstanding and the voice overs are all great and very expressive, all actors did a good job.
    Action moments are polished and fluid, just a bit repetitive at times, this is why I am not giving this unique game a perfect 10. Driving sequences are pleasant especially because the cars and the city just feel right, real but cinematic.
    L.A.Noire is not for every one, it is a slow pace game, but a immersive, deep, mature, dark and expressive gaming experience.
  44. Aug 9, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fairly solid game throughout, but with a few big hiccups overall.
    First, the story is solid and gripping up until the last act. Basically everything in the final parts of the game felt anti-climactic, and not intensely compelling or fascinating. In fact, the homicide part of the game is really the only part that really kept me intrigued. Add to this that the death of the main character is so lame (especially when compared to Red Dead Redemption), that I just laughed when it happened. What a wasted opportunity to make a great story, because everything else leading up to it was great.

I also do not like that your character is incapable of performing any actions other than running and walking unless it is "necessary" to do so for that particular instance of the game (ie you cannot choose to jump off the top of a building so you don't have to run all the way back down or what not like in GTA). This is, by far, the most player-constraining game Rockstar has made. Worth playing, worth buying, but definitely not their best game.
  45. Feb 15, 2013
    This game does some things average,some others very nicely,but it is also bad in other things.
    The PC version is just a console port,so don't expect anything better. Having said that,the facial animations on this game are very good,and I wish more games had that kind of animation quality. But while faces are a leap ahead,I can't say the same about how the rest of the bodies animate. Animation quality isn't on the same level for the whole body and that makes it look awkward sometimes. Sound and music do their job. What is interesting in this game is its story that hooks you up,as it has all the mystery you would expect from a detective's game! While the game's world feel too much like GTA, and car driving and getting around the world is exactly like it is in GTA4,this game has unique gameplay which is nice. I'd wish more games made moves towards innovating gameplay like this game does.
    The game is better played on short sessions,like a mission each time you run it. It's because each mission feels like a different episode of a tv series. Playing the game in large sessions and many missions each time won't feel the same and might get somewhat repeatitive.
    Initially this game got me frustrated because it doesn't follow a standard installation procedure.
    Might take you some extra time to figure out how to make it work,but after that you will be able to enjoy this game. The game has some unnecessary freedom. It contains a whole city for you to roam around, in a size comparable to GTA's cities. The thing is that it doesn't have that much side-missions and things you can do as in GTA games,so there is really not a reason to explore,as the city is empty,and driving around becomes boring after a while,but thankfully there is a fast travel option.
    It's a game that does detective gameplay really good,but other than that nothing ground breaking.
  46. Jan 23, 2016
    By no means is it a GTA. No. L.A. Noire is rather an interactive movie. It is not a bad port - i have seen much worse, so this one is ok, although there are a couple of bugs like disappearing cars (when you drive around in one car, park, and enter another - the previous car is gone). Also - DRM. Really, devs - can you please stop with this DRM crap already? And the auto sign in doesBy no means is it a GTA. No. L.A. Noire is rather an interactive movie. It is not a bad port - i have seen much worse, so this one is ok, although there are a couple of bugs like disappearing cars (when you drive around in one car, park, and enter another - the previous car is gone). Also - DRM. Really, devs - can you please stop with this DRM crap already? And the auto sign in does not work, by the way, so every time i log into the game i need to input the Rock Star Social Club password. Seriously, i have good internet connection, but sometimes my internet goes down. What then? I'm pissed is what then! So minus one point just for that.

Alright. Got that out of my system. Moving on.
    The story is pretty good and damn extensive - it's really a novel of a game. Unfortunately, that's about the only thing that kept me playing L.A. Noire. I thought long and hard about why the game just isn't working and i have come up with this - the style of the gameplay just does not fit the mechanic chosen by the developers. This is a detective game, but it's not an adventure in the classical sense - you don't really solve any puzzles. You blindly hunt for clues in a limited area, then confront the potential culprit via a dialogue. Yes, you do have choices as to how the dialogue proceeds, however, they are limited to three ambiguous groups which almost never fit the situation, namely "Truth", "Doubt", and "Lie". My game experience was that almost never could i predict the response of Phelps (the protagonist you play) based on these three vague categories. You would think that "Doubt" would mean what it says, but instead, when you choose this specific branch of response, Phelps intimidates, threatens, accuses, and verbally assaults his interlocutor, instead of politely and politically correctly doubting with some logical reasoning and supporting arguments. When you choose "Lie", Phelps will accuse the suspect of something and then has to present the evidence in support of the allegation. However, once again, you never know what he will accuse the suspect of - and many a times, i was completely surprised as to where the dialogue went, since i had no supporting grounds for the accusation. So, in short - dialogue is pretty unpredictable, "streamlined" as they call it, made for children who can read only one-syllable words. But RockStar, let me ask you this - you make such a deep game, with such convoluted and twisted criminal cases, and them you give us three dialogue choices which plunge a good game into the arcade genre? Why?

Moving on. Phelps. As the protagonist, i did not enjoy playing him. But it doesn't have to be a bad thing. He is a very strong character, very well portrayed, pretty deep, and believable. However, playing him was not a joyful ride - it wasn't a torture - but i would rather play his "friend" (not gonna give away any spoilers).

The gameplay basically comes to this - look for clues, talk to suspects, next case. You don't even have to drive around the city, since there is an automatic get-to-the-place feature. From these two, clue-hunting is interesting during the first few cases, then - it becomes a monotone routine. As for the dialogue - see above. Thus, the game is very repetitive and one dimensional. Compare, for example with GTA - every mission was so different it was amazing. Why not do this here. I mean every case in L.A. Noire is pretty damn good, interesting, intense. The characters (suspects and partners) are so damn good. The voice overs are amazing, the facial mimicry is photo-realistic! And yet the monochrome gameplay ruins it all with a wave of a wand.

Well, thanks to the story which kept me going, i finished the game in 30 hours.
    Can i recommend it?
    For $5, Yes. Not for more. And keep it mind - DRM.

Overall, such a good chance was missed in this project. Ouch.
  47. Jul 22, 2012
    Rockstar once again proven to me that it is probably the most innovating company. The game is- New. I have never played another game like this. I don't say its the best game I've played but its really nice to play something so different from other games. The action in this game (gun fights, car chases, melee fights, etc...) are unrelevant near the main feature which is the investigations,Rockstar once again proven to me that it is probably the most innovating company. The game is- New. I have never played another game like this. I don't say its the best game I've played but its really nice to play something so different from other games. The action in this game (gun fights, car chases, melee fights, etc...) are unrelevant near the main feature which is the investigations, and specificly the questioning- where you have to decide by observing body language if the suspect telling the truth or not, and if not, whether or no you have proof for it. All possible investigations choises are well played by the actors, not just by sound but also by body language which is captured in the game using new technology. There are problems- sometimes your proof isn't what the game intended in which case u lose the question. The game is still easy and linear, so don't expect too much challange regardless, but it is a nice expirience.
    Something wierd about this is game is that it included a very big and detailed map but since I always let my partner drive I ended the game not knowing the map AT ALL. I usually like exploring and I knew locations in previous GTA titles better than I knew my own city, but in this game I can;t tell you where the police office is, and since its all about investigations the game has no replay value.
    I would estimate the worth of this game in about 7.5-12.5$
  48. Apr 27, 2014
    I don't know why this game isn't so famous. Probably because it's not stupid and addictive. In this game characters move and act like humans for the first time of video games history. Graphics and details are realistic. The story and the gameplay are better than Grand Theft Auto. I really enjoyed every moment of that game. And if you think it's boring I say: that's because you wanna beatI don't know why this game isn't so famous. Probably because it's not stupid and addictive. In this game characters move and act like humans for the first time of video games history. Graphics and details are realistic. The story and the gameplay are better than Grand Theft Auto. I really enjoyed every moment of that game. And if you think it's boring I say: that's because you wanna beat it fast. I'm sorry, it's not your type. Expand
  49. Oct 6, 2014
    Excellent cinematic atmosphere, story, soundtrack, and great characters. The interrogation gameplay was interesting, but sometimes also frustrating. At times the correct choices seemed a bit far-fetched or inconsistent, even if you were very careful. Maybe the developer pushed this gameplay mechanic a bit too hard in an atempt to keep the difficulty high enough. This prevented me fromExcellent cinematic atmosphere, story, soundtrack, and great characters. The interrogation gameplay was interesting, but sometimes also frustrating. At times the correct choices seemed a bit far-fetched or inconsistent, even if you were very careful. Maybe the developer pushed this gameplay mechanic a bit too hard in an atempt to keep the difficulty high enough. This prevented me from enjoying an excellent game as much as I should have. The combat also feels out of place (when gunning down hordes of nameless bad guys like in GTA) in a mature game. Flaws aside, this is still a milestone and an example of video games slowly growing up. The open world city is also amazingly authentic, arguably better (and certainly larger) than Liberty City in GTA 4. Porting from consoles was done acceptably well - you get HD textures and enough options, but there is a console checkpoint save system, 30-fps lock and a little mouse lag. Sadly Rockstar Social Club is mandatory. Expand
  50. Dec 26, 2012
    With a beautifully designed 1940's, L.A. Noire is a remarkable game that makes you entirely feel like reading a detective novel. Plus, it offers good graphics, outstanding character emotions, mystery and adventure.
  51. Sep 14, 2012
    The story was enjoyable however I felt the gameplay became too repetitive and slow. The city was also too big and boring to drive around. The game for me only got good towards the end.
  52. Jul 14, 2013
    Bought this game because it was supposed to be a great one. Turns out it's not great, but not bad either. I personally found parts of it to be tedious, boring, and slow for my tastes. But there were fun, interesting, and exciting elements to it as well.

Plot is interesting enough as it unfolds and I did want to find out what was going to happen next every time something I finished a part of a case or even a whole case itself. There is a steady progression in the overall story and it's admittedly exciting to see it all come together by the end.

Voice acting is superb, however it seems like every interrogation is a shouting match and I didn't find that believable in some instances. There's A LOT of talking in this game so the high quality voice acting is of course expected. Sounds and music fit the era and add to the atmosphere.

Content and gameplay are good. There's a lot of tailing/sneaking, car chasing, perp chasing, shoot-outs, and of course various cases to solve. Crime scene investigations are cool as you get to test out your CSI skills. Interviewing is particularly satisfying because you have to decide whether what they are saying is true, doubtful, or an outright lie and you can tell by their facial expressions (some are easier to read than others).

Graphically decent, with particularly stellar work on facial graphics and character models in general they looked very life-like. Other than that though, the LA that they've created doesn't look anything spectacular given how other games look.

I did not have any trouble running this on highest settings on my system, unlike some people apparently. 3GHz Quad Core i5, 8gb RAM, Radeon 7950 3gb.
  53. Apr 27, 2013
    Like most of Rockstar's games, L.A. Noire is a horrendous port. But once you resolve the technical issues (which can be done with the help of PCGamingWiki[dot]com), the game is marvellous. It's an interesting concept pulled off very well.
    + Interesting world with believable characters
    + Interesting world with believable characters
    + Exceptional acting and face technology. It's truly incredible, really. Every detail of emotion is shown off.
    + A good pace, with generally great missions
    + Wonderful atmosphere it really feels like a movie
    - It's a pain to figure out what the "Truth, Doubt, Lie" buttons actually do
    - AI is dumb as bricks in shootouts, and in a chase, they will quite literally stop and wait for you if you're being slow
  54. Sep 17, 2013
    what a unique game why because this time you're not the criminal who shots and kills people and try to get away from the police this time you play as a detective and try to catch the criminals that's why it is unique and new great graphics sounds and amazing atmosphere one of the best games of all time
  55. Apr 27, 2013
    One of a kind game with one of a kind graphical capability that is sure to be used in future games. Great detective story with great characters, both good and annoying with great length of gameplay. Fun as hell to question suspects and see them spill their beans. I'd like to say that this is a more down to earth phoenix wright. One thing that stops the game for being perfect is the factOne of a kind game with one of a kind graphical capability that is sure to be used in future games. Great detective story with great characters, both good and annoying with great length of gameplay. Fun as hell to question suspects and see them spill their beans. I'd like to say that this is a more down to earth phoenix wright. One thing that stops the game for being perfect is the fact that it's not that varied, all you do is do missions, do side police work, collecting cars and seeing landmarks. And also the plot twist at the end of the Vice case pisses me off. That's completely unnecessary and shouldn't be in the game like at all. All it does is make stupid plot twist that makes a certain character unlikeable. Anyway, still a great game by Rockstar. Expand
  56. Jul 1, 2013
    First, to those with performance issues, create a shortcut to the game with these switches:
    lanoire.exe -str -npd +jobs_numThreads 0

I'm sort of surprised LA Noire got made, but I'm glad it did. This game is to Rockstar what Punch Drunk Love was to Adam Sandler. It confused the heck out of people but if you kept an open mind it paid off.
  57. Aug 20, 2013
    Now I start this review about halfway through the game and I really am loving it, it feels fresh and unique. I'll get the bad out the way first in I feel the game gives you too much help finding clues, it will make a noise or if you're using a controller like me it will also rumble on a clue even if you're not looking at it.

The other reason is the car physics are pretty much awful,

The other reason is the car physics are pretty much awful, assuming this game was based on the same engine as GTA IV I'm surprised the cars feel really light and quite...well...derpy, they felt heavier in GTA IV. To put it bluntly, if you imagine a 1940-50s American car...they were large, heavy and had a turning circle of the moon. Whoever was in charge of this made them look right, but decided they were lighter and more nimble than a go-kart.

That aside the story making and acting is excellent and really builds L.A Noire, you do various different types of cases from homicide to arson. The difficulty increases as you'd expect because the crime scenes get bigger so it's not so easy to find the clues, and as they get bigger so does the amount of people you have to speak to in order to solve the case.

The atmosphere has been captured with brilliant detail from the environment of a developing city, to the cars, attire and scripting. There are some strong references to 1950s cinematography.

All in all this is an excellent game which in my eyes a few changes could have made it a masterpiece but the gameplay niggles means it doesn't enter that category in my opinion, but this has been so far a game worth reviewing and recommending; I feel that if they make a second one based somewhere else hopefully this feedback will make it into an amazing accomplishment.
  58. Sep 2, 2013
    Loving the fact that games can think outside the box.
    Similar games such as the modern CSI family cannot even come close in terms of story telling, atmosphere and thrill.
    Even though investigating cases usually meant going through the same routines, the differences in story background, persons of interest and action scenes kept me playing right up to the last case.
  59. Apr 12, 2014
    This game looks coo, at the start,ut after getting halfway trough the game,it's pretty boring.
    You got the same things over and over again : Investigate, Interrogate, Go from place to place, On foot chase, Car chase and maybe a shooting sometimes, then some last interrogation.
    I know that looking at people faces to see if they are lying is interesting, but after sometime it gets boring.
  60. Sep 11, 2015
    L.A. Noire was a very hyped game for years. With countless delays and rumors, you never knew what was happening with it. Finally Rockstar released it in 2011 to great critical acclaim. But it L.A. Noire actually good? You play as Cole Phelps, an up and coming police officer in 1940s LA. The city is made very nicely, but besides doing the main story missions, there isn't anything to do inL.A. Noire was a very hyped game for years. With countless delays and rumors, you never knew what was happening with it. Finally Rockstar released it in 2011 to great critical acclaim. But it L.A. Noire actually good? You play as Cole Phelps, an up and coming police officer in 1940s LA. The city is made very nicely, but besides doing the main story missions, there isn't anything to do in it. The motion capture actors are amazing in this game. While the graphics alone aren't amazing, the expressions on people's faces are something no game has done before or since L.A. Noire. Besides the standard GTA run and gunning, the gameplay consists of solving crime scenes with a ton of variety. You can actually mess up an investigation, which is cool. The main issue with this game is the asking questions/interrogation mechanics/gameplay. It is simply awful. You may choose to ask someone something from the options given and Phelps might say something completely out of left field. This really hurts the game many times. Plus the story overall tries to be L.A. Confidential, but ends up just cheaply copying off of it. It L.A. Noire a good game? All I can say is: it's okay. Expand
  61. Dec 7, 2013
    WOW! never seen a game doing something like this!
    so its not a GTA Clone as many think so it is a detective game that requires from you to pay attention to all of the cases.
    you collect clues from the crime scene then questioning your suspect, its like you are actually part of a detective story. in my opinion the hole face animation looks like they just "glued" a video animation into
    WOW! never seen a game doing something like this!
    in my opinion the hole face animation looks like they just "glued" a video animation into a character face, its still looks like its need improvment to the sequal

not so much cons in this game although i think that the in game UI needs improvment, its not that convenient, and the pc version shouldnt be locked at 30 fps
  62. Jan 3, 2014
    The game is great awesome graphics and nice concept but the optimization on PC version is bad and the game despite is considered an open-world game is more like an interactive movie
  63. Nov 23, 2014
    It's good. I'm not a huge fan of mystery but this game was well done. I am playing it years after it was released and to me it stands out as a brave attempt at creating a new genre. It has its flaws. At the start it can be bland. 20 hours in I would have liked a better ending to the homicide desk, but yeah it's set in the 40s. The atmosphere is enjoyable as are the characters you'reIt's good. I'm not a huge fan of mystery but this game was well done. I am playing it years after it was released and to me it stands out as a brave attempt at creating a new genre. It has its flaws. At the start it can be bland. 20 hours in I would have liked a better ending to the homicide desk, but yeah it's set in the 40s. The atmosphere is enjoyable as are the characters you're forced to deal with as you progress in your career. The facial animation was groundbreaking but I'm not sure what other type of game could use it to such an extent. Nearly thoroughly enjoyable experience. Expand
  64. Jul 29, 2015
    Lots of things to say on that game.

-Graphics Shameless, crappy port. My computer is brand new and this game is 4 years old, and I still have choppiness issues when I'm playing with all options on Performance. On Quality options, I get a screen freeze of about 0.3 seconds every other second. You have to REALLY want to play the game on those conditions, but the worst is that Final
    Lots of things to say on that game.

-Graphics
    Shameless, crappy port. My computer is brand new and this game is 4 years old, and I still have choppiness issues when I'm playing with all options on Performance. On Quality options, I get a screen freeze of about 0.3 seconds every other second. You have to REALLY want to play the game on those conditions, but the worst is that Final Fantasy XIII came out two years before, looks much better and its port isn't exactly great, yet I can play it with almost no lag ever.

-Sounds
    Sound department did its job, lots of jazz and 40s music, voice acting is usually absolutely top notch.

-Gameplay(action)
    The city is HUGE. And I mean this in the worst way. So many incredibly long drives in streets with absolutely nothing to do! There is a fast travel system but it isn't the solution to boring driving, the solution is interesting driving! The mechanics are neither as realistic as GTA4 nor as fun as other GTAs, it's in the uncanny valley of not fun and not realistic.
    The shootouts are sort of alike, but the problem with it is fairly simple: it's too easy. 99% of my gunfights I win by aiming fast and dumping all my rounds.

-Gameplay(investigation)
    The whole scouring everything to find clues gets tedious but it is a real cop's job so it's fine. The interrogations are something wholly different though. Choosing between Truth and Doubt/Lie is usually very easy, but many times the questions are very unclear and so are Phelps' sentences.
    Let's take this example:
    -Mrs, where was your husband last night?
    -He stayed at the bar till 11pm.
    And I know for a fact that the husband did due to another testimony. But if I say "Truth", I get a penalty, I was supposed to doubt.

Doubt often has completely unpredictable results, it goes from "I think you know a little more than you pretend" to "How many more children have you raped?" and you never get told what Phelps will say(just a first sentence would do a lot).

Lie is pretty straightforward but unlike Ace Attorney, you don't get your HP bar down, you get to lose and not ask again or present another piece of evidence. And like AA, sometimes several different pieces can lead to the same conclusion, yet the game will only accept one piece.

So every time I interrogate, I spend more time asking myself what Truth, Doubt and Lie will do than I spend wondering if I'm being told the truth or not. It's aggravating since interrogations are the most important part of the game.

-Characters
    I'd love to say that like other Rockstar games this is where it shines, but doesn't. It has all the diversity you could want and lots of characters alright, but diversity does not make quality. This is the part of the game where the comparison to Ace Attorney skewers LA Noire; I can remember every single case and about 90% of Ace Attorney characters just from seeing their faces.
    Here, it's full of interchangeable characters who aren't special enough to be remembered. Realism is fine, but then the excitement and memorabilia must come from something else. Which leads me to the two killer points:

-Atmosphere
    Supposedly a Noir game, I think it misplaced its time period by about 15 years. The prohibition and great mafia rise were not the end of the 40s and more than that, I sincerely never felt like I was in the 50s except with the homicide desk boss who is a full-blown McCarthyst. Everybody else, down to the last person, could be put in a 2000s setting and they'd fit just fine.
    The problem of the big empty city is omnipresent. There's so much 40s to see, but nothing to do with it. no actions, no specific 40s feeling, nothing. It just doesn't have atmosphere. I don't feel in the 40s, ever, partly due to the characters, in much greater part because there is nothing specifically 40s that I can do.

-Story
    To put it short, the story is as clunky as the gameplay. The Homicide story is the best example: Homicide is 6 cases, 5 are murders where you convict innocent people and the 6th is finding the real serial killer. And the game does a great job at keeping a bit of doubt as to whether there is a serial killer or not, but since it's repeated at every case that it might be the same killer, then you eventually just guess that it will be. And when the real killer-catching case shows up, here's how it goes:
    -Get sent bits of poems
    -Guess the location of the next bit of poem by pinpointing landmarks on your map
    -Go get the next bit
    -Rinse and repeat 7 times

Very boring? Oh yes. Driving and driving and clunky minigames. But the worst is the end.
    At the 7th, you find him. Then you straight up shoot him.

So after 5 cases of wondering whodakilla, you just have the guy lead you on by the nose like he's sick of you failing, and you finish him off like a dog in the catacombs.

Extremely underwhelming.

And the whole game is sort of like that. 40s but no atmosphere, large story but tiny payoff(didn't finish the whole game yet), lots of characters that are forgotten. Underwhelming.
  65. Feb 4, 2016
    Expertly written and filled with wonderfully technical aspects, L.A. Noire is one hell of an amazing ride to remember, despite some redundancies along its path.
  66. Jul 12, 2014
    They should have done it like The Walking Dead. So many people took this option and so many people took that one... "were not saying your right or wrong, but this is how you compared to everyone else"

Instead its *4 options in* "Nope your wrong, haha, you failed.,. now what?" well... im gonna restart my **** game... Restarting your "**** game" does not = good gameplay... that's

Instead its *4 options in* "Nope your wrong, haha, you failed.,. now what?"

well... im gonna restart my **** game...

Restarting your "**** game" does not = good gameplay... that's the problem I have with LA Noire...

everything is good at the base.. just don't tell me I screwed up or imgonna want to do it again and not screw up.

... and seeing how "doing it again and not screwing up," isn't an option (nor should it be) im sitting here, a good portion of my experience, restarting the damn game.

it becomes more irritating than fun....

im about to post this on meta-critic and give it a 7

"Great game, with one hiccup, that completely kills it"

and i would change "Doubt" to "Question" as that's pretty much spot on, gameplay wise, and eliminates a ton of confusion, and failed attempts, vs "Doubt"

i don't know about you, but if i think,even in the slightest, that someone is lying, i "Doubt" them... even if someone is telling the truth, but letting certain **** slide...

"My aunt keeps a lot of children, and would never hurt a child, because shes feeds the watermelons in her back yard" im gonna have **** QUESTIONS... she may be telling the truth about her aunt, i dont "doubt it" I even have proof..

she DOES INDEED keep a lot of chilren and does feed teh water melons in her back yard.. but i got **** questions.

#1 "wtf does your aunts watermelons have to do with taking care of and not beating children?"

this is a VERY well done start up, of what could be a great franchise, with certain little critical problems, that need to be addressed, before it makes it to "the big time"
  67. Sep 9, 2014
    Very well thought out plot and polish on even the smallest details, I would highly recommend. The PC version runs well, but compared to other games on the PC, this one obviously wasn't a very well optimized console game. Also the graphics don't seem as attractive as other games, but still looks good nonetheless.
  68. Jul 20, 2015
    L.A. Noire is one of my favorite games of all time. This is better then any other police/detective game out there. The atmosphere of the game is dark, gritty, and wonderful. Cole Phelps is a person that people can relate with compared to other games. The game is great. Buy it. Buy all of Rockstar's games ( Except GTA London and the Portable GTA's those are terrible).
  69. Nov 28, 2016
    The PS version may be a good game, but this is another porting fail from Rockstar. The bugs made it impossible for me to finish this game. From the first minute, it required restarts and constant googling to progress.
  70. Dec 11, 2014
    -Однотипные погони и драки
    -Надоедающий игровой процесс
  71. May 21, 2015
    Another bad game from FailStar Games
    Story sucks,voice acting is bad,gameplay is bad,requiments is joke on PC and 3 DVD for console version?
    This game real sucks!
  72. Dec 27, 2015
    Pretty much just a storytelling game. The extent to which a player actually effects the outcomes is fairly limited. Sure you can pin a murder on x when it was probably y, but... so what. You still slog through the story same as before. As far as graphics and gameplay complaints voiced by others, I did not experience any problems whatsoever. I ran the game on full graphics with minimalPretty much just a storytelling game. The extent to which a player actually effects the outcomes is fairly limited. Sure you can pin a murder on x when it was probably y, but... so what. You still slog through the story same as before. As far as graphics and gameplay complaints voiced by others, I did not experience any problems whatsoever. I ran the game on full graphics with minimal tweaks and did not experience any framerate or crash issues at all. The detail level was fairly impressive. This game will keep you busy for a day or two, but after that, you'll either be finished or bored, and it's replay value is non-existant. Expand
  73. Feb 15, 2016
    By the time I am writing this review, I have not yet finished the game, but I am 10 hours in and would like to share my opinion and impressions, which hopefully will help you to decide whether you should get this game.

First of all, I'll start with the positive things: - The vibe and atmosphere/Setting: They did an AWESOME job at setting up the right setting and getting into the spirit

First of all, I'll start with the positive things:
    - The vibe and atmosphere/Setting: They did an AWESOME job at setting up the right setting and getting into the spirit of LA in 1947, at least IMO. I do like this period a lot, and the look of the game (if you like, you can play this in b/w as well), the music/radio broadcasts (unfortunately, no way to switch radio stations manually, apparently. No custom music either, but then again, listening to modern music in the car would kinda ruin the immersion), the cars, fashion, lingo etc... just GREAT.
    Also, since this is based on old thrillers and stories by guys like Raymond Chandler, they went for that vibe, and did it VERY well... this does feel a lot like a that noire crime fiction Chandler was famous for.

- The general idea is very cool and, IMO, refreshing - interrogating people and, based on the clues you found and their facial expressions (done with actors and motion capture) figuring out whether they're lying or not... great job there! The IGN review says that sometimes, it is too easy to tell when someone is telling a lie or getting nervous - but doesn't that add even more realism? After all, not everyone is a good liar irl!

- The gameplay. The cars DO feel a bit... odd, chases can get a tiny bit frustrating, the shooting mechanics are far from perfect, but between examining crime scenes, searching for clues, interrogating witnesses and suspects, using your notebook to find clues, car chases, shootouts and some interludes to deepen the story, there is some variety.

- The characters. I really like the main protagonist, and some of his fellow policemen. Sure, there is quite a bit of clichè to be found here, but that again fits well, as this is a tribute to the noire-genre, which never was deep literature anyway.

Now for the less than positive or even negative parts:

- On rails. To a certain degree, the game takes away your freedom. An example: In one case, I apparently missed a clue at one of the places I visited. I was doing interrogations at the police station, and was not able to go back to those places and pick up the thing I missed, which would have made solving the case easier and unlocked some additional questions/accusations.

- Evidence. Basically, if you think a person is not telling the truth, you wanna choose "doubt". If you pick "lie", you have to prove the person is a liar with a piece of evidence/clue from your notebook. And sometimes that doesn't work right. Not a bug, it's the writing. The abbreviated details of the clue or piece of evidence might make you think that it is clear evidence the guy is a liar, but when you choose it, the game says it's wrong or not enough.

- Some frame rate issues. This game is by no means recent. I don't have a killer gaming pc (i7, 16 gigs of ram, Nvidia GTX 960 with 4 GB of ram), but I would think that it should be able to run this game well... and still, there are frame rate issues, the game sometimes slows down. Odd, when games like Unity, Mad Max, GTA V, Witcher III or even Arkham Knight perform much better on my system. YMMV.

- Repetition. Sometimes, the cases are TOO alike, or at least the procedure you do is. There is a bigger storyline with a certain series of murders, and at one point, it was like "OK, another murder like those other ones. Check for clues. Interrogate. Visit a bar. Visit another place. Interrogate. Done". Of course, those steps should be part of it in a crime/police-game, but I think there should have been more variety in the cases or the activities that are involved in them.
    I did enjoy the homicide cases (after the first or second promotion), but didn't enjoy the drug-related cases I was given after my next promotion

- Mechanics. As I said, driving feels...wonky. Mind you, you are not driving a very recent sports car or something like that, but the controls feel a bit clunky sometimes, and so do the physics. I did play the game with an Xbox controller.

Verdict: The idea was refreshing, and they really nailed it with the setting and vibe. Unfortunately, there are flaws to the whole Lie/truth/doubt/clues/notebook-system. Sometimes it's misleading, not elaborate enough, and sometimes it's too much "on rails".
    However, the story, vibe and the idea itself are great, and even though it's not perfect, I'd give this a 7.5/10. I got this while it was on sale and do not regret it at all, I do enjoy the game. Check out some gameplay videos maybe, and if you can get it on sale and dig crime/police-games and the era this is set in, check it out!
  74. Jun 17, 2016
    Игра отличная. Первая игра в которой эмоции персонажей проработаны на высшем уровне. Лучшая игра из жанра детектив. В игре присутствуют и загадки и множество выборов, что несомненно делает игру лучше. Игра в плане графики не выделяется чем-то особенным, но и не плохая.
    Графика 8/10
    Сюжет 10/10 Общая оценка: 9
    Графика 8/10
    Сюжет 10/10
    Общая оценка: 9
  75. Oct 28, 2016
    Excellent game with mature story and themes that is made for adults and will leave children, teens either bored or disgusted, love it. 40's Los Angeles is superbly recreated on a smaller scale with exquisite attention to detail, but world itself doesnt feel that lively and theres nothing to do. The crimes that are inspired by real actual events are also put together solidly and a hoy toExcellent game with mature story and themes that is made for adults and will leave children, teens either bored or disgusted, love it. 40's Los Angeles is superbly recreated on a smaller scale with exquisite attention to detail, but world itself doesnt feel that lively and theres nothing to do. The crimes that are inspired by real actual events are also put together solidly and a hoy to investigate.

Team Bondi in my opinion shoulda made the game linear in nature with smaller open levels where you investigate specific crimes and later take you place to place where you must go based on evidence you gathered, cuz driving around the world takes away too much times unless you wanna fast travel. That coulda pontentialy give the team options to lengthen the story and put more resources in other needed places. For a console port it ran pretty gine on my GTX 650 with fairly high visual settings. Production values when it comes to animations and voice acting are impeccable and the revolutionary face scan technology works amazingly giving you the feeling youre having conversations with real people.
  76. Feb 18, 2017
    This is a fantastic game. It may start off a little slow and the cases are pretty basic in the beginning, but it just gets better and better. Considering this is a nearly six year old game, the graphics are amazing. As with most Rock Star products, the attention to detail is top notch.

The character acting and the story really becomes just like a good noire film. The score and the mood is spot on. The interrogation process is something I haven't seen before and is really enjoyable. Your ability to read if the perp is telling the truth, conflicted or lying has a direct effect on how well you do in each case. I would have liked to have seen maybe some more options besides truth/doubt/lie (like maybe intimidate or sweet-talk), but it works well as designed.

The game is not perfect. Some parts do get a bit repetitive--especially earlier in the game. And the dialogue, although very good in terms of writing and performance, is not particularly accurate to the time period. People just didn't use F-bombs as commonly as today--especially civilians to cops. And the actual voices of most of the women wasn't convincing. They sounded like contemporaries (lots of voice fry and up talk.) But all these are pretty nit picky criticisms. Overall it is a slam dunk. I think I got about 45 hours out of the full deluxe package and it only cost $15. If you liked Mafia II, I am pretty certain you will like this game. But I like this game better--maybe almost as much as GTA V.
  77. Apr 5, 2017
    Interesting stories and cases, decent looking open world, great facial and character animations. However, the core gameplay mechanic is a simple guessing game. It's truly impossible in many places to correctly get the right answer. Often times an accusation + evidence combo that makes perfect sense is not valid and evidence that makes nearly no sense is the correct choice. Google "TheInteresting stories and cases, decent looking open world, great facial and character animations. However, the core gameplay mechanic is a simple guessing game. It's truly impossible in many places to correctly get the right answer. Often times an accusation + evidence combo that makes perfect sense is not valid and evidence that makes nearly no sense is the correct choice. Google "The Fallen Idol" for a prime example of this. If you mess up, that's it, done, you don't get to replay that scene and you are likely going to botch the case or miss out on big parts of it. (There are exploits to let you replay things, but no "official" way) The learning curve is non-existent; you have to deduce and see things specifically how the dev/writer imagined as there is only 1 answer to every question.

I very much want to give this game a higher rating but the core gameplay mechanic is low-effort guessing game. So much wasted potential.
  78. May 5, 2017
    A brilliant game that manages to revive the L.A of 1947. The storyline, the characters and the setting is truly remarkable and well-designed. The cutscenes and the character developments go together and build up great tension. The interrogation mechanics are unique and it's fun to collect clues, evaluate them and shove them into the liar's face if necessary.

The gameplay does, however,

The gameplay does, however, get repetitive sometimes. Maybe a little bit more variaton could have made this game a 10.

It's clear that this game is a product of lots of work and dedication. It's also clear that the end product is really good.

1. Feb 29, 2012
    A unique adventure game that borrows many features from mystery and action games, incorporating them seamlessly in the narrative flow, thus creating a truly special game that not everyone will enjoy. And that's because it has its own character, defying contemporary 'fast food' games that are churned out today and because it's reminiscent of endeavors made in another era, where immersion of an ultimate single-player experience was the first and last goal of their creators.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012
    Ingenious game merges a classic adventure with sandbox action titles, resourcefully. Playability is not always perfect but overall impression is stunning. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Games Master UK