7.9

1. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If this game wasn't so unique it would have fared far worse than a 7/10. The crime solving and scouring for clues and reading peoples face expressions are all just so damn fun to do and you get a real sense of accomplishment when you correctly call someone out who was lying. The groundbreaking technology used for the facial expressions is amazing, unfortunately not every character in the game has it so the animations for those characters looks really bad when they are side-by-side with one that does. Also, sometimes people will do the exact same thing when they tell the truth and when they lie, making telling the difference quite difficult. The game also has numerous "noobie friendly" features such as intuition points that can show you locations of clues or tell you whether someone is lying. If you fail a chase sequence or shootout a few times in a row you will get the option to skip it and continue on with the crime solving.

Unfortunately this game has a large amount of bugs and flaws. I have only played the PC version so I am not sure if some of these are specific to the PC version or not. The sound can glitch during some cutscenes. I had the sound of my machinegun firing throughout an entire cutscene a few times and then it continued after as well, forcing me to quit the game and restart. The actors use modern lingo a few times such as "legit" and that really bothered me as the voice acting was suberb and lingo from the 40's was prevalent throughout. Sometimes cars will just disappear off the screen. THis one was quite common and I found cars just vanishing from my screen as I approached an intersection. The controls are floaty and when you run you feel like you are that fat cop who eats donuts all day instead of an agile ex-marine. The combat and cover system is bad. I would commonly fund myself unable to move through my cover, leave cover or even go into it. You can still get shot while behind cover. Aiming isn't fluid and you will often find your crosshair skipping along. I can see why the xbox version had aim assist as it is just hard to do manually. The graphics on weapons isn't very good, but the effects of the guns shooting and the recoil of them is very well done.

There are a lot of collectible that are made easy to find by the Rockstar Social Club which lists all of your accomplishments in detail on their site. The story was great and the ending was great as well (But it seems some people didn't feel this way) The big twist that came near the end of the game was seemingly out of nowhere, i'm not really sure why the character did that but what came after that point was a more sensible, easier to follow story that i really enjoyed. The biggest problem i had, and this was prevalent on all version of the game, is that the FPS lags a ton. THis is very noticeable during driving sessions as your vehicle will skip forward. Luckily you can fast travel anywhere in the world which is great. Overall, the uniqueness of this game makes it well worth a look, but there are many flaws to bring it down. Do careful research before purchasing.
  2. Jul 9, 2012
    An instant classic, trades in a linear play style for excellent presentation and acting, superb story and cinematic gameplay. Some users have reported technical difficulties getting this game to run even on high-end systems but mine was fine (at the time I used AMD Phenom X4 9750, 4GB RAM, Radeon Sapphire HD 6850 running at 1440x900).
  3. Sep 17, 2013
    what a unique game why because this time you're not the criminal who shots and kills people and try to get away from the police this time you play as a detective and try to catch the criminals that's why it is unique and new great graphics sounds and amazing atmosphere one of the best games of all time
  4. Mar 28, 2015
    A real classic and unlike Red Dead Redemption or Grand Theft Auto. Another gem from Rockstar. More adventure and mystery than GTA or Red Dead Redemption, mind you, but Rockstar just makes amazing games.
  5. Jul 14, 2013
    Bought this game because it was supposed to be a great one. Turns out it's not great, but not bad either. I personally found parts of it to be tedious, boring, and slow for my tastes. But there were fun, interesting, and exciting elements to it as well.

Plot is interesting enough as it unfolds and I did want to find out what was going to happen next every time something I finished a part of a case or even a whole case itself. There is a steady progression in the overall story and it's admittedly exciting to see it all come together by the end.

Voice acting is superb, however it seems like every interrogation is a shouting match and I didn't find that believable in some instances. There's A LOT of talking in this game so the high quality voice acting is of course expected. Sounds and music fit the era and add to the atmosphere.

Content and gameplay are good. There's a lot of tailing/sneaking, car chasing, perp chasing, shoot-outs, and of course various cases to solve. Crime scene investigations are cool as you get to test out your CSI skills. Interviewing is particularly satisfying because you have to decide whether what they are saying is true, doubtful, or an outright lie and you can tell by their facial expressions (some are easier to read than others).

Graphically decent, with particularly stellar work on facial graphics and character models in general they looked very life-like. Other than that though, the LA that they've created doesn't look anything spectacular given how other games look.

I did not have any trouble running this on highest settings on my system, unlike some people apparently. 3GHz Quad Core i5, 8gb RAM, Radeon 7950 3gb.
  6. Dec 13, 2012
    This game has some interesting concepts, but largely fails in the execution of them: the shootout action sequences are clunky and boring, driving the streets is tedious and the vehicles handle poorly, and collecting clues for your cases is a rather haphazard affair. Then there's the interrogation segments, which regularly involve your character verbally abusing a suspect when you chose toThis game has some interesting concepts, but largely fails in the execution of them: the shootout action sequences are clunky and boring, driving the streets is tedious and the vehicles handle poorly, and collecting clues for your cases is a rather haphazard affair. Then there's the interrogation segments, which regularly involve your character verbally abusing a suspect when you chose to "doubt" them, followed by you apologizing and backtracking. The whole interrogation system is just too illogical and unpredictable: you have no idea what your character will actually say, given any particular option, and backing up your accusations relies on having previously discovered particular clues--catching them in a lie or making reasonable deductions doesn't seem to count for much. One thing the game does do well is providing a detailed and convincing environment of 1940's LA, and the facial graphics are pretty advanced. But these aren't enough to make LA Noire more than a mediocre game in my opinion. Expand
  7. Mar 3, 2012
    Since this is relevant to pc games, know this first. The game has been capped at 30 frames per second, this can be removed via the latest patch and a -60fps command. So I won't mark that against the game. The game also requires a very powerful pc to be able to run at 60 frames per second. It is choppy and unplayable on lower end hardware. If you have a duel core cpu and a low end gpu, takeSince this is relevant to pc games, know this first. The game has been capped at 30 frames per second, this can be removed via the latest patch and a -60fps command. So I won't mark that against the game. The game also requires a very powerful pc to be able to run at 60 frames per second. It is choppy and unplayable on lower end hardware. If you have a duel core cpu and a low end gpu, take this as a warning. Now, onto the actual game. La noir is a breath of fresh air, taking cue's from adventure games in it's mystery solving, focus on clues, and providing you with the successful illusion that you are solving them. It tells a long and involved story though a string of murders you have to solve, that delves into the territory of serial killers, police corruption and more, and it allows you to travel around an open world while doing so. This alone is enough to cement this game in an interesting heavy rain territory. However it goes a step further by introducing some facinating and downright impressive face animation mapping technology - and implements it in an innovative and involving way. You have to actually study peoples faces to gauge their honesty/personality, and make final decisions that rely entirely on your very own instincts. Putting actual detective skills in the players hands is so worthy of praise - that it makes other game's "new and innovative features" seem dull and lifeless in comparison. When you are as ambitious as this game is however - there will always be a price. In this case the main issue this game has is the outcomes for failing/succeeding. They mostly lead to the same results. Guess wrongly? You still progress in the same way minus a few points that can unlock intuition points (a free answer, basically). This makes your actual detective skills feel consequence free. And that's a shame. In the end, what the game does provide - is unique. Entertaining. Sometimes emotional. An experience like nothing else on the market. If you don't have a monster pc - get the ps3 version instead. Expand
  8. May 28, 2012
    This game is rushed, and could had been optimized better. The driving in this game is very unrealistic. Its EXTREMELY linear, there is no freedom in this game what so ever, its just mission after mission and I've played up to detective mode and a few missions after-wards. However the facial expressions in this game are amazing and are really well done and are great for asking questions toThis game is rushed, and could had been optimized better. The driving in this game is very unrealistic. Its EXTREMELY linear, there is no freedom in this game what so ever, its just mission after mission and I've played up to detective mode and a few missions after-wards. However the facial expressions in this game are amazing and are really well done and are great for asking questions to see if they're lying or not. However it doesn't really show if they're lying enough to make a clear suggestion right. Expand
  9. Jul 19, 2012
    The game requires much more computer power than its graphics call for; the game was just badly ported to the PC with little thought about performance. Games like Just Cause 2 have better graphics, more textures and more amazing visuals with half that lag. What helped my performance was to run the game in single processor mode; for some reason, it ran faster since then. Now: about the gameThe game requires much more computer power than its graphics call for; the game was just badly ported to the PC with little thought about performance. Games like Just Cause 2 have better graphics, more textures and more amazing visuals with half that lag. What helped my performance was to run the game in single processor mode; for some reason, it ran faster since then. Now: about the game itself. It's cinematically a masterpiece, it feels like you're watching real actors - which you are! The story is the only reason to play this game, however, as the gameplay is just an excuse for progressing through the story and is nothing amazing. The funnest part of the gameplay is to watch the interviewed characters and decide if they are lying or not by their facial expressions, and to select the evidence that counters their claims. Although the game is not nearly challenging enough, or even challenging for a detective game, I found it satisfying to detect when the subjects were lying for the sheer satisfaction of being right. Otherwise, there is no real penalty apart from lengthened missions. I'd say this game is on par with games like bioshock, so I'm rating it a 7, for its unmatched acting, great story and good integration of detective work, however with some issues like being a laggy PC port, lacking challenge and having a boring gameplay if you strip away the story elements. Expand
  10. Apr 27, 2014
    I don't know why this game isn't so famous. Probably because it's not stupid and addictive. In this game characters move and act like humans for the first time of video games history. Graphics and details are realistic. The story and the gameplay are better than Grand Theft Auto. I really enjoyed every moment of that game. And if you think it's boring I say: that's because you wanna beatI don't know why this game isn't so famous. Probably because it's not stupid and addictive. In this game characters move and act like humans for the first time of video games history. Graphics and details are realistic. The story and the gameplay are better than Grand Theft Auto. I really enjoyed every moment of that game. And if you think it's boring I say: that's because you wanna beat it fast. I'm sorry, it's not your type. Expand
  11. Feb 21, 2013
    LA Noire is an excellent game. The investigative gameplay is enjoyable, as is quizzing the suspects and witnesses. The weakest parts of the game are car chases and foot chases/shootouts, but fortunately those are brief and far in between.

The story is good and the main body of the game is good. While the ending is not as good as it could be, overall, the game is still quite excellent and well worth your time (and money).

Why not a 10/10? A few reasons.

1) The ending. After spending the whole game investigating, the final level of the game involves you running around killing people with a flamethrower. I'm not even joking. While this sort of gameplay is interspersed throughout the game and isn't wonderful when it comes up, it is rare enough that it is fine. It overstays its welcome at the end of the game.

2) While the acting in the game is overall quite good, when you let suspects sit around after questioning them, some of them behave... very oddly. And not in the "oh we're obviously guilty" way, but in the "the actor is clearly trying to convey SOMETHING but it is hard to tell what" kind of way. The motions end up exaggerated, and as this is one of the things you're supposed to be using to tell whether a suspect or witness is lying or not, it is a bit of a problem the motions are so unnatural that you can't tell what they're supposed to be doing.

3) This is a minor point, but there are a few times in the story where you are presented with two suspects and you are forced to charge one or the other, but it is obvious that neither of them is actually guilty of the crime at hand there's no option NOT to charge them, which would be the correct choice. While not a big deal, it would have been nice to have the ability not to lay charges in some cases.
  12. Jul 24, 2013
    L.A. Noire is a pretty interesting game. You play as a detective and of course you have to solve cases. This is well and understandeble designed. The cases are exciting and you will feel like a little detective. I really like that game, although it has some bugs.
  13. Oct 6, 2014
    Excellent cinematic atmosphere, story, soundtrack, and great characters. The interrogation gameplay was interesting, but sometimes also frustrating. At times the correct choices seemed a bit far-fetched or inconsistent, even if you were very careful. Maybe the developer pushed this gameplay mechanic a bit too hard in an atempt to keep the difficulty high enough. This prevented me fromExcellent cinematic atmosphere, story, soundtrack, and great characters. The interrogation gameplay was interesting, but sometimes also frustrating. At times the correct choices seemed a bit far-fetched or inconsistent, even if you were very careful. Maybe the developer pushed this gameplay mechanic a bit too hard in an atempt to keep the difficulty high enough. This prevented me from enjoying an excellent game as much as I should have. The combat also feels out of place (when gunning down hordes of nameless bad guys like in GTA) in a mature game. Flaws aside, this is still a milestone and an example of video games slowly growing up. The open world city is also amazingly authentic, arguably better (and certainly larger) than Liberty City in GTA 4. Porting from consoles was done acceptably well - you get HD textures and enough options, but there is a console checkpoint save system, 30-fps lock and a little mouse lag. Sadly Rockstar Social Club is mandatory. Expand
  14. Mar 21, 2014
    For those of us old enough to remember the old "Dragnet" TV series, this game relives much of that old attitude towards crime (the facts m'am, just the facts). You must have the patience of a detective to play, well, the detective. This can be a pro or a con, depending on your preferences. It was interesting and fun to play it once, and it's worth it if the price is right. The DLCs do addFor those of us old enough to remember the old "Dragnet" TV series, this game relives much of that old attitude towards crime (the facts m'am, just the facts). You must have the patience of a detective to play, well, the detective. This can be a pro or a con, depending on your preferences. It was interesting and fun to play it once, and it's worth it if the price is right. The DLCs do add other interesting cases. This game has great potential if it's ever re-released with more sophisticated game play and investigative cases. Expand
  15. Mar 2, 2012
    You can really feel the discrimination of platform from the developers by playing this game on PC. I mean, those guys could have done better on the PC. Well, I could really give 10/10 if they can make it better on PC. For the game, great story, great gameplay. I really feel like I am a detective in the game. Great voice casting too. Also, very convincing facial expression and veryYou can really feel the discrimination of platform from the developers by playing this game on PC. I mean, those guys could have done better on the PC. Well, I could really give 10/10 if they can make it better on PC. For the game, great story, great gameplay. I really feel like I am a detective in the game. Great voice casting too. Also, very convincing facial expression and very detailed world. If you guys happen to own a Xbox360 or PS3 buy, just buy the game for the consoles. If you have a PC, you can really give it try. Expand
  16. Jan 6, 2012
    The game really very good. Perfectly conducting investigations, nice story in each of the new investigations, to the personal story of the main character. And then there also cool the climate of those years, super-chases, as well as on foot or in car. The game is great, although sometimes scheme implemented here that could at times when bored at times but only because the game is super allThe game really very good. Perfectly conducting investigations, nice story in each of the new investigations, to the personal story of the main character. And then there also cool the climate of those years, super-chases, as well as on foot or in car. The game is great, although sometimes scheme implemented here that could at times when bored at times but only because the game is super all the time. Rockstar and Team Bondi please for more adventure. My rating - 8.5 / 10 Expand
  17. Jul 1, 2013
    First, to those with performance issues, create a shortcut to the game with these switches:
    lanoire.exe -str -npd +jobs_numThreads 0

I'm sort of surprised LA Noire got made, but I'm glad it did. This game is to Rockstar what Punch Drunk Love was to Adam Sandler. It confused the heck out of people but if you kept an open mind it paid off.
  18. Dec 27, 2011
    This game is tricky to review. The idea does make sense and the mood of 1940s LA is captured perfectly. However, the game gets quite repetitive and a bit boring later on and there is also quite a few bugs and glitches. It also tries to shovel in unnecessary FPS action into it. If you are thinking of buying this, be cautious.
  19. Mar 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just completed this game. At least the main "case load" including DLC. While I found the overall gameplay experience joyful at times I also found it quite tedious other times as well. Overall I rate this game a bit above mediocre.
    I must give Rockstar props. Its an original concept no-one has ever tried before. I am a fan of Film Noire and so when I learned that a game based upon the same style and philosophy was being created I was very excited. In practice, sadly, I've got to say the plot of the game often disappoints. It is frustrating in the middle of the game when you know full well your fingering innocent people for the black dahlia murders but have no real option other than to arrest innocent people for the crimes. Case completed! You locked up some innocent sap. The main plot line of the game doesn't really rise up except in newspaper clippings until you are 2/3 through the game and I found that disappointing as well. You never really see the bad guy's get the comeuppance. One of them is killed by the doctor who gets choked by his own servant later on (So you weren't involved at all) and another gets shot in the leg. Thats it. As well there is the bizarre move for you to take command of another avatar for 3 of the last 4 missions. You've been playing as Phelps for the entire game and his blank by the book manner is great if not tiring after a while but why switch to a different protagonist? Or if your going to go that route integrate it into the whole game experience. Not just the last couple of missions. Strange.

This brings me to my largest complaint of the game. Mismanagement of time allocation. How much time does it take to program a set of pipes? Some. And yet you need to "build" them to fine a piece is missing and it counts as a clue. There are some odd finesse pieces in the game that are often completely retarded. Swear to god. Only game I've ever played that required me to use an in game calculator. And guess what? Its less intuitive and harder to control than the actual calculator that comes with windows. All to unlock a clue. What sort of skill testing is that? What were they thinking?
    I could understand these points if the main body of the game was more polished but they aren't. As others have complained the driving mechanic (where you end up spending about 50% of your time) is reminiscent of one of the early GTA games. We know they have better code for a driving mechanic than that. Why? The shooting mechanic is also sub optimal. Either pretend bullets are endless or show how many you've got left. Nothing like your big gun running out mid fight only to have to go back to you handgun. Some of the "street crimes" were rewarding however I eventually began to dread them. It's like they were programmed to pop up on the farthest corner of the map at the least opportune times to stretch the game out. Additionally I liked the unlockable cars even if they all drove somewhat badly. However being unable to trigger street crimes in them meant I stopped using them and didn't go back. The main feature of the game was the "interview" mechanic. It was certainly the most hyped feature. However in practice I found it became like taking a quiz after a while. And as pointed out before sometimes the evidence for a lie made no sense whatsoever. In practice I ended up doing each interview multiple times and quitting before it saved so I could repeat it until I got the "right" answer. Not the most enjoyable experience. Especially when I had to re-search a scene before the interview. Overall though its not a bad game. It is a finished product. There were some novel elements and fun to be had. They did a good job of the noire feel while driving between clues, and at a lot of the cut scenes. It just easily could have been a better game. With a bit better direction and a smarter plot. If they had re-focused their energies on the components most used it would have been a better experience. The last mission for instance you get a flamethrower right before the end but it is so horrible to use you wish you could go back to your handgun to take out the last 6 thugs. Outside of gameplay I should comment I had major issues with the game installation for the first time in my life (And I am a quite seasoned gamer). The necessary download patch that came out after I purchases a hard copy of the game failed to install correctly preventing me from playing the game and it was a month before they released an improved patch which fixed it. Rockstar tech support is a step above useless it turns out. Lastly I'd like to point out to anyone looking to purchase this game. According to Rockstar social club 9% of the people who started this game are doing the last missions or more likely finished the game. They show a nice breakdown of which 1/5 of the game people are in. It looks like a lot of people got 1/4 to half way into the game and quit because the numbers didn't change the entire month I played
  20. Jun 22, 2013
    For people 38+ like me, that have been gaming since early 16, this game is a dream come true.
    Amazing story telling, voice action, environment and slow but interesting path with action sub-phases.
    the game is a black novel by itself, and lets you enough freedom to wander around a lovely city and progress on the story line as well. this game deserves a 10. I respect all opinions but this
    this game deserves a 10. I respect all opinions but this is a niche game for me, that excels.
    add some sweetFX to it, and the visuals are just awesome.
    The game play might be between adventure games and 3rd person action games, but the combination is just right. Get a few drinks, a pack of smokes, and be ready to deep yourself on a black novel all the way. Rep+ to Rockstar
  21. Xon
    Nov 20, 2011
    I like games which are interactive novels or movies. L.A. Noire neatly meets this criteria and brilliantly recreates a colourful period of L.A.'s history. I have never seen a game populated by believable characters who inspire compassion in the player. Nor have I seen real faces with real emotions, from the slight twitch of nervousness to red-faced, bulging eyes of fear.

I didn't pay this

I didn't pay this game for its challenges or playablity. I want to be immersed in a world and interact with the environment. I want a riveting story that rings true.

L.A. Noire delivers this and then some. I loved every second of this hard-boiled slice of life. In later years this game will definitely be looked back on as one of the most ground-breaking games of all time. It is the first game that I felt emotionally involved. And it was a riveting experience.
  22. gas
    Nov 26, 2011
    Good idea actually poorly executed. The first big issue is about the porting, the game looks really dated even if on max settings and its nearly unplayable even at lower settings due to a terrible frame rate. Running around seems to watch the TV serie The six million dollar man, its terrible. Beside that i have to tell also the controls are not really working good too and the game its soGood idea actually poorly executed. The first big issue is about the porting, the game looks really dated even if on max settings and its nearly unplayable even at lower settings due to a terrible frame rate. Running around seems to watch the TV serie The six million dollar man, its terrible. Beside that i have to tell also the controls are not really working good too and the game its so easy that it seems to play an interactive movie, tbh its one of the worst ports ive seen so far, and the game itself it seems made for 5 years old kids. I wasted money, this game is garbage Expand
  23. Jan 24, 2014
    L.A. Noire sounds like it really should have been great. Unfortunately I can neither log into Rockstar's silly club nor start the game without that.

Have a 1 for the concept.
  24. Apr 14, 2012
    If LA Noire was a masterpiece, and in my opinion one of the best games ever made, this version with all DLC already included, which increases experience, and bring back to LA of 1940 to the fore. This edition creates something just as incredible that any player that if preze can not lose. Simply a Masterpiece
  25. Apr 24, 2013
    It's hard to something positive to say about L.A. Noire. I suppose the detail in the city of LA was fantastic, which, while it was artistically impressive, didn't add much to the enjoyment of the game. I'm giving Rockstar a little credit for the effort. I appreciate what they set out to do, but I don't think it was executed competently. Firstly, the foundation of the gameplay isIt's hard to something positive to say about L.A. Noire. I suppose the detail in the city of LA was fantastic, which, while it was artistically impressive, didn't add much to the enjoyment of the game. I'm giving Rockstar a little credit for the effort. I appreciate what they set out to do, but I don't think it was executed competently. Firstly, the foundation of the gameplay is crime-solving via scrutiny of simulated facial expression and a collection of evidence. This means you are evaluating the veracity of statements based on the performances of actors (of variable talent) who are all essentially lying (since they are acting) as reinterpreted through the facial rendering engine. This technology is another failure. It looks like nothing more than low res video being played over a 3D model of a human head. All the characters looked like dead-eyed, shifty, slime-faced androids. Many were hard to distinguish. Which brings me to the characters. There was a lot of content to this game, about 18 hours for me, but it was vastly more concerned with breadth than depth. I never felt invested in any of the characters because none of them felt human. I still don't understand the motivations of the protagonists. This game could possibly have been something in another studio's hands, I still find the idea intriguing, but in the state it was released it's not worth either the investment of time or money. Expand
  26. Dec 26, 2011
    As good it was on start, as awful it became few hours later. Great idea and nice graphics totally ruined by illlogical and dump dialog and interview decisions. You accuse people with most faint evidence like rope match which is for sure can be found in every 2-nd house in LA. You sit affront a suspect and wandering which size of shoes he wears instead of just looking at his feet. YouAs good it was on start, as awful it became few hours later. Great idea and nice graphics totally ruined by illlogical and dump dialog and interview decisions. You accuse people with most faint evidence like rope match which is for sure can be found in every 2-nd house in LA. You sit affront a suspect and wandering which size of shoes he wears instead of just looking at his feet. You accuse hobo of "being in some place at 2 a.m." just finding a purse of a victim. He could pick it up later from a dead body, which is normal for his kind. It can't be a sure reason to say he's lying about his whereabouts in exact time! --- So great idea totally buried by dumb scenario.(((( Expand
  27. Sep 17, 2012
    Actually this game could have been done better. Controls are pain the ass, especially in fight or other sequences. You can skip them, sometimes it's the only way to move forward. City is huge but kinda empty. However very good music and sounds are remainding noir classics. Lets just say this game is decent console port but nothing more.
  28. Feb 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a game that built up slowly, until I was completely hooked onto the plot and the way the entire story twists and turns: very impressive. The gameplay itself is typical from the publisher of GTA, perhaps a bit more pedestrian than usual (in terms of combat), but it was easily made up by the enjoyable car physics (and various things your partner would say while running into a variety of things...always entertaining) as well as the incredible gumshoe framework. Gathering clues and interviewing people never got boring. The most disappointing part of the game for me, in the end, is actually the finale: yet another gigantic combat scenario with a finish that left a HUGE bitter taste in my mouth. SPOILER: The ending is just awful, imo: everything that Phelps is working toward is completely erased, and his memory is pissed upon at his funeral, with the corruption of the police establishment firmly intact. I suppose that there's hope that the honest ADA who remains could, over time, fight for less corruption, but it would have been nice to have more details about what happened in the future, so that I didn't feel like all the work I put into my character was all for nothing. Not being able to bring the chief of police down is a MAJOR disappointment, and although it might have been "historically accurate" it left the plot completely unsatisfying. Makes me less sad that the developer went out of business after the production of this game: they clearly aren't very good at plot endings. Expand
  29. Jan 2, 2012
    this game is awesome it has a lot of good stuff in the storyline and you are a true detective (from other games that i have played) the only bad stuff that i didnt like is that the faces was doing weird things when they lied and when they not lying most of them just stay still like they frozen LOL the graphics on the mouth and the eyes are perfect but on the hair or on the trees is like ithis game is awesome it has a lot of good stuff in the storyline and you are a true detective (from other games that i have played) the only bad stuff that i didnt like is that the faces was doing weird things when they lied and when they not lying most of them just stay still like they frozen LOL the graphics on the mouth and the eyes are perfect but on the hair or on the trees is like i an old game play game! its like they just took the same graphics from the console and put it for the pc just like that without working on it so it was a little bit disappointing :( Expand
  30. Jan 3, 2014
    The game is great awesome graphics and nice concept but the optimization on PC version is bad and the game despite is considered an open-world game is more like an interactive movie
  31. Feb 11, 2012
    Played for 3 hours and then quit after becoming bored. I don't buy games so it can play for me. This game is bacially a interactive movie and even a training-wheels for Grand Theft Auto games. The city is overdone, there is so much to explore but no real "free mode". A linear story mode. **** graphics. I've seen better in GTA4. Too much cutscenes. Too little controls. Basically just pushPlayed for 3 hours and then quit after becoming bored. I don't buy games so it can play for me. This game is bacially a interactive movie and even a training-wheels for Grand Theft Auto games. The city is overdone, there is so much to explore but no real "free mode". A linear story mode. **** graphics. I've seen better in GTA4. Too much cutscenes. Too little controls. Basically just push the left stick up to get on ladders and climb up, similar to call of duty - a sign that it is designed for consoles in mind. Expand
  32. Feb 24, 2012
    Fun game, but piss poor crossover into the PC platform. Game runs slow and makes it pretty much unplayable. It's a shame, I like the game, but won't play it now. I only hope that Rockstar makes GTA V PC playable.
  33. Jan 18, 2015
    This game is ambitious beyond reason but also hugely successful in its execution. It really brings to life the world of James Ellroy to an extent I didn't think we could see in a game, at least not yet. The plot is intricate, the characters are cruel but nuanced, the city itself is alive. The ending is excellent. It holds no punches and it makes no excuses - it is the thinking man's GTAThis game is ambitious beyond reason but also hugely successful in its execution. It really brings to life the world of James Ellroy to an extent I didn't think we could see in a game, at least not yet. The plot is intricate, the characters are cruel but nuanced, the city itself is alive. The ending is excellent. It holds no punches and it makes no excuses - it is the thinking man's GTA (which is how we also explain the less daunting sales figures) and if you want to piece every part of the plot together, you'd better pay attention. If you find this appealing, this game is bound to be something very special for you, otherwise you shouldn't bother.

The good:
    Just driving through LA (which you will do a lot of) is astounding in itself. For a long time, the game suffered from poor graphics performance and fairly weak visuals but with the DX11 version now running perfectly, the game is absolutely great to look at. And that's really important when so much of the game is the ambiance, the visual details, the feel of driving through 40s LA. The gameplay is original and the storyline is fascinating. Your fellow characters have real depth and so does your primary protagonist and the city itself. The world is dirty, corrupt, greedy, harsh, sad, all the things the world of Ellroy needs to be and it pulls no punches. There are no heroes here but that doesn't mean they're all villains either. The content is very large for a linear, story-driven game. Lots of cases, lots of societal aspects covered and unapologetically unfolded before us, lots of nasty little secrets to uncover. If you ever felt drawn to the world of true noire detectives, this is for you.

The bad:
    Very little, obviously, since I give it a 10. A few times, the game mechanic used during suspect interviews can feel a little arbitrary - that what you expect something to mean isn't what is actually meant by accusing a certain person of something at a specific time. Sometimes the game and the player will misunderstand each other which will lead to the player quitting and replaying a segment and feeling annoyed because he expected a different outcome from an action than the game presented and the player had no way of anticipating this. It isn't always exactly clear what the consequences will be from selecting a specific dialogue but most of the time it works. The facial animation can still seem slightly outdated (or very) but you can recognize the actors and the acting itself is top notch.

Do not buy this game if you're looking for a new GTA, do not buy if you don't like stories and want action. But if you like stories, noire literature/film, Ellroy, just trying something a bit new to gaming, you HAVE to play this game. Very rewarding, extremely well done. This game was cared for down to its smallest detail, I hope we see more like this.
  34. Jan 10, 2012
    Once I picked this game up I haven't put it down! I'm addicted!! What they do well is immersion. The game makes you feel like your in the 1940's. The detective work, which maybe a little easy for some, I found very interesting & exciting. As the levels progress the cases get more detailed and try to keep you guessing. I really didn't expect to like this as much as I did. 9/10.
  35. Jan 15, 2013
    LA Noire is a strange game, in that it is a combination of 4 action games (car chase, foot chase, fist fight, gun fight) and an adventure-y detective game that is focused around interrogations. Since all these elements are woven around the same story, it really works, at first. After about five or six cases, it loses its luster somewhat. The foot chases, gun fights, and fist fights are tooLA Noire is a strange game, in that it is a combination of 4 action games (car chase, foot chase, fist fight, gun fight) and an adventure-y detective game that is focused around interrogations. Since all these elements are woven around the same story, it really works, at first. After about five or six cases, it loses its luster somewhat. The foot chases, gun fights, and fist fights are too easy. The car chases are easy too as long as you remap your keyboard so that you are driving with two hands. The interrogations are HARD. Even if I read all your evidence carefully, and review your conversation log, and look carefully at the expressions of the suspect, I still get the answer wrong almost half the time. When you get an answer wrong, you often miss out on evidence that is necessary for later interrogations. So once you start bad, things just go downhill. The case always "solves itself" at the end no matter how bad you screw up the interrogations, and it does this in a very confusing way. It is very frustrating because you can tell you have missed out on half the story. I have replayed some of the cases using a walkthrough, and found out there were big chunks of the story that I completely missed because I botched the interrogations. I replayed a few cases hoping that I could learn to do better on the interrogations, but it hasn't helped yet. The concept of the detective part of the game is very cool, but in the end too difficult and frustrating. The action part of the game is a little too easy and a little too repetitive. The graphics are very good, the facial detail, the period music and details are great, clearly a AAA game in terms of production values. It seems like this game went straight from concept to game, without any play-testing to calibrate the gameplay to a level where it is challenging but still fun. Expand
  36. Apr 6, 2013
    It was an interesting game. Good graphics, story, voice acting, music score. Brings back a lot of memories when I was a little kid. Great attention to detail of that time period. The pc controls are a little bid clunky. I hated the ending but hell, I'm a sap for happy endings. Oh well.
  37. May 20, 2012
    Its good thing to try ... may get boring in sometime .. but still with good narrative plot and nice facial motion .. this game is cool .. The interrogation events can be bit letdown too .... just need to have focused mind
  38. Jan 7, 2012
    A breath of fresh air! The game I've been waiting for Rockstar or someone else to MAKE this game!
    THE GOOD GUY! This is like Mafia II, but you are the good guy, has great car controls and movement control of the characters. Had Mafia II been able to get their vehicles to control as good as L.A. Noire it would have been almost just as good. Their new facial movement technology really helps you get into the story with way more realism. Call me strange, but I'm always bothered by boxy, jerky mouths and unnatural body movement in cut scenes.

My only complaint so far is it's not as "open world" as GTA 4 but there is plenty to do. This game does a good balance between a true to live Police game and a fun action game. Not 100% real, not 100% action and killing. If you are looking for an open world like GTA this might not be the game for you. But if you are looking for a fun game as a Police Officer/Detective with mixed action, clues, shoot outs, chases, investigations, and more, it's a great game! I gave it a 9 out of 10 and knocked off 1 point because it would have been nice to have either multiplayer or a "FREE RIDE" open world option. THANKS ROCKSTAR for finally coming out with a "GOOD GUY" game
  39. Mar 22, 2012
    This game is a awesome game, not a master piece but a really good game!
    Lets start by the gameplay, in the first 2 hours of the game its just freaking good.
    This game is a awesome game, not a master piece but a really good game!
    But then the game starts to get a little repetitive, there are some new things to the gameplay later on, but its still repetitive. Its not boring or anything, like the cars chases and fight scenes those are so cool even if you play it over and over it will still be fun.
    Now lets talk about controls.
    The controls are just simple,classic and good, W-A-D-S to move, mouse and space-bar to investigate, fights etc...
    Now lets talk about the graphics.
    The graphics are just wonderful...The faces are super-duper realistic, the city is really realistic too and the voice actors help a lot to create a more realistic aspect.
    People say that the game is too "strong" on the graphics and most of the people say its unplayable, I have a PACKARD-BELL IxTreme with Intel Core I5 and a NVIDIA Geforce GT320 1024MB VidoCard, The game runs smoothly but some times has a little slow down, expect that the game is just fine.
    I give this game a 9/10 because I really enjoyed it.
    I think if you like detective games this one will be for you!
  40. Dec 28, 2011
    First off, the game runs fine for me. I had a glitch off the bat when I got it through steam: all of the animations and actions involving facial animation were omitted until I restarted steam, and then the game updated. Just so you know the game was about 12 gigs, and then a 2 gig update to fix the problem I mentioned (if bandwidth is an issue, buy it in a store). There are a couple ofFirst off, the game runs fine for me. I had a glitch off the bat when I got it through steam: all of the animations and actions involving facial animation were omitted until I restarted steam, and then the game updated. Just so you know the game was about 12 gigs, and then a 2 gig update to fix the problem I mentioned (if bandwidth is an issue, buy it in a store). There are a couple of gripes I have with this game. I would like to play through scenes a little more specifically rather than doing every case over from the beginning to try and obtain a perfect score (the save and load features didn't seem that obvious). This is a good game, but if you're buying this based off of "I like GTA" then this might not be for you. While the game does have a GTA feel, it is not really a sandbox and they give you the option to let your partner drive you to locations for a reason (saving time, and causing city damage lowers your score). This is a game for people who like point and click adventures, mystery games, or puzzle games more than a game like GTA. Expand
  41. Nov 12, 2011
    LA Noire pc version, has left me and it was amazing what I expected, Rockstar finally made â
  42. Nov 27, 2011
    It's a great game, other then the rather bad visuals, the crimes are very well made and controls are easily mastered if given a chance. Needless to say, it's worth playing, but don't think this is some kind of great gaming revolution.
  43. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is like a boring film. To long, to boring I took one mission for more than 3 hours! Lost the mission. After that I do not want to play this ... But,It can not be called a bad game
  44. JYT
    Jan 6, 2012
    On PC Windows 7. The graphism are well made and the characters looks cool. Unfortunately the controls when driving the car is totally awful it made the playabilty awful. It is also a bas idea to save automatically while driving or chasing a bad guy, all stops and then the car does not respond and crashes. Like assassin creed, the story is linear which means you either pass each stage orOn PC Windows 7. The graphism are well made and the characters looks cool. Unfortunately the controls when driving the car is totally awful it made the playabilty awful. It is also a bas idea to save automatically while driving or chasing a bad guy, all stops and then the car does not respond and crashes. Like assassin creed, the story is linear which means you either pass each stage or you don't progress. there are not multiple route to the end which is poor really. The character should reach the end by multiple routes. Expand
  45. May 10, 2012
    I managed to grab this on some sale at steam or other, but it did actually shine out amongst the other games as you actually get to play as a detective, in what-seems to be a GTA game (from Rockstar, so what do you expect?)
    Starting out the game, its a standard GTA-like story driven game. The "sand-box", or "free" style of gameplay however, is very lacking in comparison however. The game follows the career of a Detective, some "bad-ass" veteran from WW2 and his hijinx. It would be reasonable to say that this is a cross between an adventure game and a very small part action. - That said, there is also an "interrogation" mini-game to find clues or whatever.
    Whilst on the cover it seems to sound pretty damn cool, it is actually let-down by a number of issues. Firstly, them damn graphics. I mean, they'd be quite good... if it was released by the same time San Andreas came out. But by the release, them flickery shadows, and jaggy edges - you can see that they must have been cutting a few corners. Dated.
    Secondly- the "motto" of Rockstar, so far, (if you looked at GTA, or even Red Dead)- would be SAND BOX. This game is VERY linear. there are "street crime" events that happen in the city, but you'll be doing the same thing for each - Chase, shoot, suspect dead, repeat. To progress the story line, you had to go around interrogating people. you get 3 options "TRUE" , "FALSE", or "DOUBT". - there were many-a-time I had meant things in a certain way and the detective goes nuts for no reason-poopie! That said. > you could actually ask mostly wrong questions for all your suspects- then STILL manage to continue the story. - as punishment, solve street crimes- then carry on the story. pagnnhn!

Conclusion > I actually had a good time for the first hour or two. I mean, the story isn't bad, but it's vastly inferior to anything that GTA gave out. Graphics? They're OK. Game-play? Not too good- not going to touch this for a LONG time. Instead of a detective game like I wanted, it was more like a Japanese style graphic novel where you just watch.
    As a Graphic novel, Im gonna give this a 7, but cos its in the "Games" section, ... 5? but... I did actually want to know what happened... so.. 6? yah...

- I think its time I dug out that copy of "Blade Runner" again, now THAT was detective work!
  46. Apr 9, 2012
    Fantastic game - a very big shock to find myself enjoying it as much as I did - I was pleasantly surprised.
    Sure it may not have a lot to do in the very large open world that it includes but the story itself more then makes up for that. I did realise that I'm not as great a detective as I thought I would be though!
    Performance wise I'm not sure if I'm just lucky
    Performance wise I'm not sure if I'm just lucky but I was running it on my rather old GTX295 without any performance hassles (at 1920x1200 with 2x Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering with everything set at Quality settings) that I could notice. The cars physics are a little off at times and on the rare occasion I had a car vanish in traffic right in front of my eyes (perhaps I should lay off the whisky?).
    Controls were fine on PC and the overall I never had any crashes, freezes or any other silly things so I can't complain.
    A fantastic gem of a game that I had put off for so long - if you enjoy solving riddles and something a little deeper than the "gun down Mr X, Pop Mr Y" then you'll love L.A. Noire!
  47. Jul 19, 2012
    This game is basically must get for all fans of L.A. Confidential movie. L.A. Noire brings good combination of adventure and GTA games together in glittering shine of post war era. Graphic is nice, sounds are well handled. For some downside might be 30fps cap. The game is fairly linear but i don't think it would help if you could try solving 3-4 cases at once. It would get fairly complex.This game is basically must get for all fans of L.A. Confidential movie. L.A. Noire brings good combination of adventure and GTA games together in glittering shine of post war era. Graphic is nice, sounds are well handled. For some downside might be 30fps cap. The game is fairly linear but i don't think it would help if you could try solving 3-4 cases at once. It would get fairly complex. Interrogations are sometimes more of guessing than really figuring out whether that person is lying to you or not. Over all this game is pretty solid. Expand
  48. Mar 8, 2013
    I grew up loving the hardboiled detective film noire types of movies so when I heard about this I was quite excited since it was right up my alley.

Sadly though the end product is nothing like it could have been. This is basically a snooze fest disguised as a game. Honestly, if it didn't have Rockstar's name on the box it wouldn't be rated highly as it is or sold as well despite the fact Rockstar did not make this game.

My main dislikes with the game are.......

1- You never really detect anything. You walk around till you get a little chime meaning you press the x button and pickup the clue. If the clue needs to be examined further the game will tell you so. Once you have the clues your partner will signal you it's time to go somewhere else. The game basically walks you through detecting everything and finding clues. It tells you when you need to hit what buttons and where.

2- You can't mess up interrogations. This was lauded as a big feature for the game. If you blow the interrogation then you just do it again. Even if you guess wrong when your judging a person's true intentions you can still win the game without ever getting one right. You can go right through the game by guessing everything wrong when its decision time while interviewing someone. The game basically won't let you make mistakes that stop the game play and there are no consequences for anything during interrogations. There is no need to study a person's facial reactions or what they say because it doesn't matter. Guess right? No advantage. Guess wrong? No punishment.

3- The facial animations while good are just a gimmick. Another big selling point for the game is just a gimmick. Again looking at people's faces during interrogation to guess if they are lying or not doesn't matter since you don't have to be right. The facial animations are nice but it doesn't matter aesthetically because their bodies still move like stiff puppets. And they still aren't lifelike because they are over exaggerated to be noticeable. I personally wish they hadn't wasted all the money on filming actors in a fancy studio with all this high tech equipment and instead used the money to hire better writers for the game and work on making it more fun instead of just being a gateway for their facial animation tech. Honestly the animations felt more like a tech demo they were hoping to get other developers to license the tech for their games.

4- The game is incredibly linear. Yes a couple times you can chose to shake down a bartender instead of checking up on a drug addict but you never really get to chose anything. The game firmly holds your hand from the start to the finish and never let's go. I felt more like a errand boy out driving from point A to point B and then from C to D.

5- The storyline while not bad isn't that great. The main storyline starting out builds and builds and builds then suddenly it just stops and comes to a half with a very paper thin plot excuse and then suddenly you thrust off in another direction with no looking back. They just go to all this trouble of building up to something and then suddenly pull the rug out and leave you unsatisfied. The ending is very, very unsatisfying as well.

6- Team bondi has been saying the game isn't finished and that's easily noticeable just playing through it. They left the game kind of shallow in order to sell more DLC to gamers and that's obvious since they have been releasing DLC since its release and have recently announced more. It's just a shame they would release a 60 dollar game partially gutted so they can sell DLC and turn it into a 100 dollar game.

7- 60% of the game is still just grand theft auto. Just like in grand theft auto you have to drive a car for hours and hours and hours while you playing doing absolutely nothing but going up and down the same boring streets as a time sink. You can take any car you want like in GTA, you'll waste hours of time driving just like GTA, when you run it's just like in GTA, when you shoot or fight it's just like GTA, in fact everything that isn't investigating or interrogating is just like GTA.

In the end this game is wasted potential. I really wish I had waited till it eventually drops to 25 bucks or less because that's all it's worth. I had a lot of fun for about 6 hours and after that I find myself playing it just to finish it since I paid so much. I was really disappointed in this game.
  49. May 13, 2013
    This game gets a 8 not a 7 or 6 because many people exaggerate totally and they don´t enjoy the atmosphere, they don´t play with controller, they don´t play the game how it should be played, so they ruin their own experience. It´s on the PC yes, but non or less the game has to be played with a controller, because you have to sit in a comfortable chair and enjoy the world. The graphics areThis game gets a 8 not a 7 or 6 because many people exaggerate totally and they don´t enjoy the atmosphere, they don´t play with controller, they don´t play the game how it should be played, so they ruin their own experience. It´s on the PC yes, but non or less the game has to be played with a controller, because you have to sit in a comfortable chair and enjoy the world. The graphics are not as beautiful as people expected. The new technology which has been used for the facial expression which is a essential gameplay factor in this game, let animations be so smooth and realistic that you think this game was touched by god! The game is mainly about being a detective solving cases so if you are more the action guy, you shouldn´t buy this game especially because all the action happens only in side quests. The side quests are emergency calls from your police station, you can answer to in your police car. Sometimes you have to stop a bank robbery and sometimes smaller things like killing some gunmen. The story is fantastic and well written and you will suck it up fast. So the game is good, it has it´s flaws in graphics and it has not enough action for most people, but everything else is just perfect. WELL, the PC port is not quite as good as the console versions. The framerate is limited to 30 frames because that gives the game a movie like feeling. I understand that. No fps drops though, its stable, but they up DX11. DX9 runs smooth, but DX11 has some technical issues for some. Just test it out. It´s recommended to play the game with a controller, but the mouse and keyboard works fine too. Despite the fact that the technical side of the game is non or less weak except for the animations which are the best ever seen, the game is really only for slow paste type guys who like a adventure with case solving elements. Go and get it, lick the sexy looking box and play more than 20 hrs of pure climax! OH before i forget it: GET A QUADCORE YOU HILLBILLY! What do you expect? A dev who never developed for PC to optimize the game on your oldass Dual Core which can´t even play Black Ops straight? you should get a console then, you poor bastard. OR maybe getting a new job. Idiots Expand
  50. Sep 9, 2014
    Since they felt the need to put this on the front page of Steam again, I thought I'd come point out that this is one of the worst PC ports you can play. It's capped at 30 FPS(ugh), meaning it's very choppy. It also has a lot of issues that were never fixed.It's a shame really because it's a nice looking game, but it was basically shovelwared to PC with no effort or respect for theSince they felt the need to put this on the front page of Steam again, I thought I'd come point out that this is one of the worst PC ports you can play. It's capped at 30 FPS(ugh), meaning it's very choppy. It also has a lot of issues that were never fixed.It's a shame really because it's a nice looking game, but it was basically shovelwared to PC with no effort or respect for the platform. It's a lot like the Dark Souls PC port, which is also terrible. And like that game, it's highly rated. These games are TERRIBLE on PC, yet have glaring ratings. This is why you shouldn't trust Metacritic with console ports. Everyone is over rating these because the console version is good... that's nice and all... except that we're talking about the PC version here, in the PC section, and on Steam. You can also read plenty of reports about crashes or freezes(from people that have actually played it).

If you want this, get it on a console. Do not get it on PC. The PC version is absolutely terrible, and most of the reviews(even in the PC section of Metacritic) are praising it because of the console version, aka, idiots that'll probably never even try the version they are giving positive ratings to. Rockstar is another company that cares very little about the PC players, usually just shovelware porting their console games onto the platform. Btw, it also has Rockstar Studios attached to it, even on the Steam version.
    -Drain (Steam)
  51. Nov 3, 2013
    I dislike GTA and find games of the interactive novel genre to be a bore. However, I loved almost every second of this game. It played perfectly on my average spec gaming Win7 PC (5.9 system rating) and I didn't experience any of the technical issues reported by others such as low frame-rate or sluggish controls. So, why did I enjoy it so much? For a start, the main storyline wasI dislike GTA and find games of the interactive novel genre to be a bore. However, I loved almost every second of this game. It played perfectly on my average spec gaming Win7 PC (5.9 system rating) and I didn't experience any of the technical issues reported by others such as low frame-rate or sluggish controls. So, why did I enjoy it so much? For a start, the main storyline was fantastic. Not only was it original, it was also both suspenseful and pretty deep without being far-fetched. The characters were believable and were strongly developed over the course of the game. As for the gameplay, it combines open-world driving and gun fighting with crime-scene investigation and witness/suspect interviews. There's a healthy split between GTA-style action and clue-hunting with the option to skip the majority of the driving by asking your partner to take the wheel. I disabled the crime-scene visual/audio clues and would suggest doing the same if you want a challenge. The interviews are quite hard but if you pay attention to clues and people's body language they're doable.

There are quite a lot of cut-scenes but they are of high quality and really help with the immersion.

My only criticism of the game would be the lack of first-person perspective. I grew up playing FPS and find the recent shift to forced 3rd person cameras in PC games to be a pathetic pandering to console kids but hey, that's an issue with the gaming industry not the game.

I mentioned how I dislike GTA.... no matter how much I try to enjoy it I always get bored after about an hour of gameplay. If you're the same, try L.A. Noire. However if you really liked GTA you might really hate this game, since all my GTA loving friends who have tried it said they found it too boring. Personally, I'd rather investigate the murder of a hooker than run one over and steal their purse.
  52. Nov 18, 2011
    Considering that this title was ported by Rockstar, I'm rather surprised at how well it was optimized for PC (in comparison to GTA4, that is). The game is thoroughly enjoyable, and the new facial animation technology is really quite incredible. My only real complaints are with gameplay, in that the game feels quite linear and the enormous city of Los Angeles feels pretty dead outside ofConsidering that this title was ported by Rockstar, I'm rather surprised at how well it was optimized for PC (in comparison to GTA4, that is). The game is thoroughly enjoyable, and the new facial animation technology is really quite incredible. My only real complaints are with gameplay, in that the game feels quite linear and the enormous city of Los Angeles feels pretty dead outside of whatever investigation you happen to be on. That said, I find this game to be fun and would recommend it to anyone interested in the adventure genre. Expand
  53. Mar 15, 2012
    Poor console based controls on the PC Version, poor support of hardware forcing you to turn down the detail to play a game that should easily be able to run smoothly on max settings and a cut scene heavy game to tell a story with very poor sections of game play in between. This is more movie than game and the game play elements are really pretty poor over all. If you like movies, perhapsPoor console based controls on the PC Version, poor support of hardware forcing you to turn down the detail to play a game that should easily be able to run smoothly on max settings and a cut scene heavy game to tell a story with very poor sections of game play in between. This is more movie than game and the game play elements are really pretty poor over all. If you like movies, perhaps renting the movie version of this if they make one would be a better and cheaper than buying it full price as a game only to end up watching the best parts because the interactive gameplay parts really suck. Expand
  54. Jan 2, 2012
    Bought this game in the STEAM winter sale and it was probably the best Ã
  55. Apr 27, 2013
    One of a kind game with one of a kind graphical capability that is sure to be used in future games. Great detective story with great characters, both good and annoying with great length of gameplay. Fun as hell to question suspects and see them spill their beans. I'd like to say that this is a more down to earth phoenix wright. One thing that stops the game for being perfect is the factOne of a kind game with one of a kind graphical capability that is sure to be used in future games. Great detective story with great characters, both good and annoying with great length of gameplay. Fun as hell to question suspects and see them spill their beans. I'd like to say that this is a more down to earth phoenix wright. One thing that stops the game for being perfect is the fact that it's not that varied, all you do is do missions, do side police work, collecting cars and seeing landmarks. And also the plot twist at the end of the Vice case pisses me off. That's completely unnecessary and shouldn't be in the game like at all. All it does is make stupid plot twist that makes a certain character unlikeable. Anyway, still a great game by Rockstar. Expand
  56. Jul 22, 2012
    Rockstar once again proven to me that it is probably the most innovating company. The game is- New. I have never played another game like this. I don't say its the best game I've played but its really nice to play something so different from other games. The action in this game (gun fights, car chases, melee fights, etc...) are unrelevant near the main feature which is the investigations,Rockstar once again proven to me that it is probably the most innovating company. The game is- New. I have never played another game like this. I don't say its the best game I've played but its really nice to play something so different from other games. The action in this game (gun fights, car chases, melee fights, etc...) are unrelevant near the main feature which is the investigations, and specificly the questioning- where you have to decide by observing body language if the suspect telling the truth or not, and if not, whether or no you have proof for it. All possible investigations choises are well played by the actors, not just by sound but also by body language which is captured in the game using new technology. There are problems- sometimes your proof isn't what the game intended in which case u lose the question. The game is still easy and linear, so don't expect too much challange regardless, but it is a nice expirience.
    Something wierd about this is game is that it included a very big and detailed map but since I always let my partner drive I ended the game not knowing the map AT ALL. I usually like exploring and I knew locations in previous GTA titles better than I knew my own city, but in this game I can;t tell you where the police office is, and since its all about investigations the game has no replay value.
    I would estimate the worth of this game in about 7.5-12.5$
  57. Mar 4, 2014
    Hyped as it was to be an amazing detective game where you can see people lie to you, by using a state of the art facial motion capture system, this game should be a milestone in video gaming. I think the facial animations are not that good. They seem accurate to the dialog, but look like blending over images from a 3D scanner: teeth and lips morph into a goo of polygons.... Driving throughHyped as it was to be an amazing detective game where you can see people lie to you, by using a state of the art facial motion capture system, this game should be a milestone in video gaming. I think the facial animations are not that good. They seem accurate to the dialog, but look like blending over images from a 3D scanner: teeth and lips morph into a goo of polygons.... Driving through this city is horrible. Despite you are a cop obeying the traffic laws, other cars stop in front of you at green lights for no reason or pedestrians run in front of your car, dropping their bags, turning around, heading a totally different direction and don't give a damn about their missing stuff. Do people actually not want to go somewhere!? Are they just aimlessly wandering around!? Interrogation is also difficult. You can tell, when people are holding back or lying to you (looking around after the statement). But it is weird, that it is incorrect to accuse them of a lie using a piece of evidence on them, where it was correct to doubt their statement, where the dialog uses exactly that evidence you originally failed with (replayed the game). Street crimes are also resolved by killing every armed criminal, no chance to overpower them or persuade them to give up like "Hey, I just shot your ten friends! Do you want to die as well!?" This makes so little sense. *** The game has its good ideas but some of them are poorly executed. Details the player sees cannot be pointed out in the game (Lemma of player knowledge vs. character knowledge). Some general things are repetitive and annoying (better let your partner drive when you can!). It is -- as said -- a diamond in the rough. Expand
  58. Sep 2, 2013
    Loving the fact that games can think outside the box.
    Similar games such as the modern CSI family cannot even come close in terms of story telling, atmosphere and thrill.
    Even though investigating cases usually meant going through the same routines, the differences in story background, persons of interest and action scenes kept me playing right up to the last case.
  59. Nov 10, 2011
    L.A NOIRE is huge success more then consols
    i finished it on XBOX360 and it was Epic but fail in graphics and loading and etc

PC version is the copy we waited for..the best ever with all DLC
    just GREAT
  60. Jan 16, 2013
    I wasn't as impressed as I was interested with this game. This game barely looks anything like a real detective investigation. The interviews are ridiculous. Nine times out of ten I'll get a wrong answer in each of them, all because I believed in what the witness had to say.
  61. Mar 22, 2012
    Only get the game on Steam as otherwise you will probably have problems. I got it on disc and it wouldn't run, so grabbed it in the Steam sale and works like a charm. I love the storyline and by no means is it easy, you can judge a characters face who clearly looks suspicious but yet could be telling the truth. You get a Truth Doubt or Lie choice on interview, and if you choose lie have toOnly get the game on Steam as otherwise you will probably have problems. I got it on disc and it wouldn't run, so grabbed it in the Steam sale and works like a charm. I love the storyline and by no means is it easy, you can judge a characters face who clearly looks suspicious but yet could be telling the truth. You get a Truth Doubt or Lie choice on interview, and if you choose lie have to back it up with evidence from your notebook. Each time you gain rank you gain 1 intuition point, which allows you to see what the rest of the community chosen on a specific answer with a percentage of who got it correct. A really good game. Expand
  62. Mar 16, 2012
    A very unique and original game in my opinion. Loved the 1940's LA setting. Driving is one of the highlights - controls feel very smooth. One of the few PC games I preferred a gamepad over mouse/kb. With over 20 cases in the Complete Edition the storyline started to drag in the middle, but picked up toward the end. Interrogations can be frustrating if you repeatedly guess wrong. FeelsA very unique and original game in my opinion. Loved the 1940's LA setting. Driving is one of the highlights - controls feel very smooth. One of the few PC games I preferred a gamepad over mouse/kb. With over 20 cases in the Complete Edition the storyline started to drag in the middle, but picked up toward the end. Interrogations can be frustrating if you repeatedly guess wrong. Feels like too much time is spent watching cut scenes. Overall a quality experience, recommended. Expand
  63. Dec 12, 2011
    Bravo, Rockstar! They've managed to finally cut through the standard mission - shoot - drive type formula to make something engrossing, immersing and totally satisfying. Amazing acting, with especially the interrogation and investigation scenes jumping out, this game is one to be reckoned with - and to be seen as an examplary piece of storytelling, one that merits further elaboration! SoBravo, Rockstar! They've managed to finally cut through the standard mission - shoot - drive type formula to make something engrossing, immersing and totally satisfying. Amazing acting, with especially the interrogation and investigation scenes jumping out, this game is one to be reckoned with - and to be seen as an examplary piece of storytelling, one that merits further elaboration! So game developers, get your **** together and start hiring the Team Bondi guys as they know where it's at if you want to make a real game. Thanks a million for bringing back storytelling and adventures to the gaming world in hi-def! Suggestions for improvement: make he interrogations more interactive, maybe with actual dialog / question choices (a la Monkey Island), make the investigations slightly more difficult- but this is the way things should be heading! Expand
  64. Dec 4, 2012
    I bought this game on steam during the black friday week for only 5 bucks. For the price paid, it was worth every penny. All in all, the story is great, the characters are enjoyable, the ending could have been definitely better. With the exception of shooting and driving, the controls are often awkward, remembering it is a console port. The graphics are great. The city is big, but theI bought this game on steam during the black friday week for only 5 bucks. For the price paid, it was worth every penny. All in all, the story is great, the characters are enjoyable, the ending could have been definitely better. With the exception of shooting and driving, the controls are often awkward, remembering it is a console port. The graphics are great. The city is big, but the interaction with it is limited to what pertains to the cases you are working on. The investigation is good, the questioning and intuition system is a great addition. For most people, it is a one play through game. For completionists, they will probably have a second play through. With the lack of alternate endings, I doubt I will play it over again. Expand
  65. Dec 4, 2012
    Nice game.Rockstar haven't disappointed me yet,i was shocked by the awesome idea and the product.It takes me to the 1940s L.A. ,unlike GTA i always act as a criminal i finally can be a police this day.And the kinds of clues and the system of investigate and the EXP system ,all of all can be called nice,although its not a perfect game,i still give it a 10 score.10 score doesn't mean perfect,right?
  66. Apr 27, 2013
    Like most of Rockstar's games, L.A. Noire is a horrendous port. But once you resolve the technical issues (which can be done with the help of PCGamingWiki[dot]com), the game is marvellous. It's an interesting concept pulled off very well.
    + Interesting world with believable characters
    + Interesting world with believable characters
    + Exceptional acting and face technology. It's truly incredible, really. Every detail of emotion is shown off.
    + A good pace, with generally great missions
    + Wonderful atmosphere it really feels like a movie
    - It's a pain to figure out what the "Truth, Doubt, Lie" buttons actually do
    - AI is dumb as bricks in shootouts, and in a chase, they will quite literally stop and wait for you if you're being slow
  67. Apr 12, 2014
    This game looks coo, at the start,ut after getting halfway trough the game,it's pretty boring.
    You got the same things over and over again : Investigate, Interrogate, Go from place to place, On foot chase, Car chase and maybe a shooting sometimes, then some last interrogation.
    I know that looking at people faces to see if they are lying is interesting, but after sometime it gets boring.
  68. Dec 30, 2011
    L.A. Noire involves breath taking graphics and structure of the story so that as you play it, you have to constantly remind yourself to use the controller because you drift away thinking you are watching a 1940's detective movie. The facial expressions (animated by real actors and 32 different cameras to get every possible angle of the expression) , will blow you away. A great mix of clueL.A. Noire involves breath taking graphics and structure of the story so that as you play it, you have to constantly remind yourself to use the controller because you drift away thinking you are watching a 1940's detective movie. The facial expressions (animated by real actors and 32 different cameras to get every possible angle of the expression) , will blow you away. A great mix of clue finding, interrogating, and action, make this a game that I for one, had trouble stepping away from. The story line is intense and awe inspiring. A very recommended game for those who enjoy the action, adventure, and mystery genre. Expand
  69. Nov 15, 2011
    You know what your getting with this package. A fantastic game with all the bells and whistles. Im sure you've seen other reviews of L.A Noire, so il just say what's new in this. It features all of the previously released downloadable content for L.A. Noire, including the â
  70. May 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. L.A Noire follows a police officer through his cases and then a detective, the game brings back memories and its generally a brilliant game, honestly it nails its atmosphere and Immersives you in the shoes of a detective, and the game's story requires you to pay attention to the story and evidence, honestly its brilliant, must buy. Expand
  71. Mar 19, 2014
    I already reviewed the PS3 version of this game, the PC version is noticeable improved on visuals and performance, below my review:
    L.A.Noire is a mature, immersive and very well produced adventure. Don't expect a traditional sandbox or an action game, L.A.Noire is much more close to old (and great) investigative adventures we had on PC years and years ago.
    The environments are extremely
    The environments are extremely detailed and polished, every corner you explore is convincing and rich in details, the city is vast and amazing, cars are also impressive. Narrative is mature, deep and capture the "Noir" feeling and mood well. Characters are deep, something rare in video games, and will stay with you long after you finish the game.
    Facial animation is truly outstanding and the voice overs are all great and very expressive, all actors did a good job.
    Action moments are polished and fluid, just a bit repetitive at times, this is why I am not giving this unique game a perfect 10. Driving sequences are pleasant especially because the cars and the city just feel right, real but cinematic.
    L.A.Noire is not for every one, it is a slow pace game, but a immersive, deep, mature, dark and expressive gaming experience.
  72. Nov 11, 2011
    A solid game plagued by a few issues: 1) letterboxing on monitors with 5:4 aspect ratio 2) severe stuttering on some systems despite requirements being met (can be fixed by using the command line arguments -npd -str)
    3) interface could be better
    4) a big city, but very little to do
  73. Jan 2, 2012
    Game starts out like a GTA 4 but within 40 minutes an experienced gamer should make the promotion to detective. 1940's world is incredibly detailed. New face rendering tech is emersive. Fantastic game on sale for $12.49.
  74. Nov 16, 2011
    l.a noire is very good , you're so out of luck. A dual core is no longer considered mid range even. Even basic boxes all come with dual core. Quit kidding yourself. I also hear this is a bad port. I got news for you guys, PC's only represent 10% of the gaming market. Until the next gen consoles come out that all support DX11, yâ
  75. Dec 26, 2012
    With a beautifully designed 1940's, L.A. Noire is a remarkable game that makes you entirely feel like reading a detective novel. Plus, it offers good graphics, outstanding character emotions, mystery and adventure.
  76. Jul 29, 2012
    Not worth your time or money, it's just another **** console port released by Rockstar. Not only is the main character completely unlikeable, the game is also inconsistent in the way it handles "evidence". Good job, Rockstar! Then we have the ridiculous serial killer planting evidence all over the city and in peoples homes setting other people up for crimes they did not do. REALLY,Not worth your time or money, it's just another **** console port released by Rockstar. Not only is the main character completely unlikeable, the game is also inconsistent in the way it handles "evidence". Good job, Rockstar! Then we have the ridiculous serial killer planting evidence all over the city and in peoples homes setting other people up for crimes they did not do. REALLY, ROCKSTAR?! REALLY?!!??! What finally ruined it for me was the INDIANA JONES-STYLE **** that you have to do later in the game. What the **** were they thinking?! Chandelier-swinging in a game like L.A. Noire?! **** you, Rockstar! **** you sideways in the ass with a two-by-four! ZERO POINTS to you Rockstar for ****ing this game up so badly! Expand
  77. May 1, 2014
    An interesting concept. The interrogation gameplay is fun and exciting on your first playthrough and the storytelling is excellent. The city of L.A. is beautifully presented but somehow doesn't feel alive. Do not expect a well optimized port.
  78. Aug 20, 2013
    Now I start this review about halfway through the game and I really am loving it, it feels fresh and unique. I'll get the bad out the way first in I feel the game gives you too much help finding clues, it will make a noise or if you're using a controller like me it will also rumble on a clue even if you're not looking at it.

The other reason is the car physics are pretty much awful,

The other reason is the car physics are pretty much awful, assuming this game was based on the same engine as GTA IV I'm surprised the cars feel really light and quite...well...derpy, they felt heavier in GTA IV. To put it bluntly, if you imagine a 1940-50s American car...they were large, heavy and had a turning circle of the moon. Whoever was in charge of this made them look right, but decided they were lighter and more nimble than a go-kart.

That aside the story making and acting is excellent and really builds L.A Noire, you do various different types of cases from homicide to arson. The difficulty increases as you'd expect because the crime scenes get bigger so it's not so easy to find the clues, and as they get bigger so does the amount of people you have to speak to in order to solve the case.

The atmosphere has been captured with brilliant detail from the environment of a developing city, to the cars, attire and scripting. There are some strong references to 1950s cinematography.

All in all this is an excellent game which in my eyes a few changes could have made it a masterpiece but the gameplay niggles means it doesn't enter that category in my opinion, but this has been so far a game worth reviewing and recommending; I feel that if they make a second one based somewhere else hopefully this feedback will make it into an amazing accomplishment.
  79. Jan 9, 2013
    Only just got this game recently all ways looked at it never bought it but couldn't not buy it on special Overall i like this game it has given me alot of game play which i look for in a game and is pretty good challenge i like decent free roam game It is a easy to play game and has alot of good quality's that would appeal to a wide range of people from investigating crime scene toOnly just got this game recently all ways looked at it never bought it but couldn't not buy it on special Overall i like this game it has given me alot of game play which i look for in a game and is pretty good challenge i like decent free roam game It is a easy to play game and has alot of good quality's that would appeal to a wide range of people from investigating crime scene to driving to shooting its all there plus get to be good guy and solve crimes rather than commit them The bad well every game now days has bad points this game is shooting psychics for me they just dont feel right Overall i will keep playing this game and probably replay it once i have completed it i think Rockstar did good job here getting into something no one else has I would really like to see this game put into modern times and made to fit in with todays crimes and investigations techniques i think that would take off because old style will not appeal to all Expand
  80. Mar 13, 2012
    Yet another brilliant port from Rockstar. *sarcasm* In all seriousness, I guess this is what happens when you focus more on the consoles than on all platforms, or maybe they're just too plain incompetent, as the only good port I saw from R* was the PC version of Vice City. And it didn't help that they used a clunky DRM system that reminds me of some draconian anti-cheat system from Korea.Yet another brilliant port from Rockstar. *sarcasm* In all seriousness, I guess this is what happens when you focus more on the consoles than on all platforms, or maybe they're just too plain incompetent, as the only good port I saw from R* was the PC version of Vice City. And it didn't help that they used a clunky DRM system that reminds me of some draconian anti-cheat system from Korea. The storyline and overall concept is brilliant though, plus the addition of licensed cars and a (mostly) accurate depiction of downtown Los Angeles adds to the charm. Expand
  81. Jul 19, 2012
    Just purchased this for 5 bux during the Steam summer sale. It's a great game for the most part. But like others have said, this is a shoddy PC port. Even with the fixes that Rockstar has put forth for PC players, the game still runs slowly. It looks good, but it would hurt less if the game looked stunning and ran this poorly. I mean, even Crysis runs better and that's still the graphicalJust purchased this for 5 bux during the Steam summer sale. It's a great game for the most part. But like others have said, this is a shoddy PC port. Even with the fixes that Rockstar has put forth for PC players, the game still runs slowly. It looks good, but it would hurt less if the game looked stunning and ran this poorly. I mean, even Crysis runs better and that's still the graphical high-mark of the last five years. This game doesn't come close to that graphical fidelity and runs much worse. As far as the gameplay goes, I'm having a pretty good time solving cases and I enjoy the facial expressions. It's just hard to swallow yet another flawed Rockstar PC port after GTAIV's failure. Expand
  82. Nov 8, 2011
    I've only played ~30 minutes or so, but it's hard to go much further due to the terrible controls. I was able to deal with them through the first investigations/brawl, but once you get to the robbery (fairly early on in the game) it's practically impossible to keep playing. The already strange controls become even more frustrating once you entire the game's first gunfight and it's badI've only played ~30 minutes or so, but it's hard to go much further due to the terrible controls. I was able to deal with them through the first investigations/brawl, but once you get to the robbery (fairly early on in the game) it's practically impossible to keep playing. The already strange controls become even more frustrating once you entire the game's first gunfight and it's bad enough that I'm going to wait until a patch (assuming they bother with one). As far as graphics go, they have a decent selection of graphics settings but overall the game looks fairly dated and it's clear that they didn't add much aside from better shadows/view distance for the PC release. Higher-res textures should've been included, it's pretty obvious how bad the textures are when playing on a PC (due to being closer to your monitor). Another thing that stood out are the settings for anti-aliasing which only seems to support FXAA, a form of AA designed to work better on NVIDIA cards. Personally I have an ATI card so FXAA doesn't work nearly as well as it would if I were using NVIDIA. I haven't tried forcing AA through CCC, I'll probably do that once they improve the controls.

Thankfully I didn't spend any $ on this as I had credit on the website I purchased it from (GreenManGaming) or I would've regretted my purchase.
  83. Apr 22, 2012
    Boooring. I love noire movies. But those convey atmosphere and an interesting plot. The L.A. city looked very convincing, but the atmosphere was barely there. There was something missing. In the retrospective I cannot imagine how this could have worked in a sem sandbox world. The "noirness" of the noir movies comes from conersations, camera work, rightly cued music. Many of those elementsBoooring. I love noire movies. But those convey atmosphere and an interesting plot. The L.A. city looked very convincing, but the atmosphere was barely there. There was something missing. In the retrospective I cannot imagine how this could have worked in a sem sandbox world. The "noirness" of the noir movies comes from conersations, camera work, rightly cued music. Many of those elements cannot take palce when you are running around etc. Expand
  84. Jan 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I came to point out more examples of extremely frustrating interrogating and how stupid the game's logic is. Example 1:

You're chasing a boyfriend (unknown location) and girlfriend suspects. You've caught up with the girlfriend and are interviewing her. You just found a train ticket on her dresser that's 1-way from Hollywood to Akron OH. You ask about her "Plans to leave town". Your character inquires if she's trying to skip town. She says she's not and has no idea what I'm talking about. Obviously you have solid evidence she's lying. So "lying" would be the obvious choice with the train-ticket as evidence. Nope. If you click "lying" your character accuses "You know where your boyfriend is, tell me!". The girlfriend challenges "You can't prove I know where my boyfriend is!". Ok... but these things are totally unrelated to the original statement. WTF game.
    Example 2:
    You find a dead wife, you go to her husband's residence and look around for clues. One of the clues is some boat rope found hanging off a boat in his yard, your character notices its the same braid as the ligature marks on the victim's neck. When questioning the husband you ask about "Potential Suspects" by asking the husband if anyone didn't like his wife. He answers "No, she was well liked by everyone, she's fun to be around, I don't know anyone who didn't like her". The correct answer is "lying" because of the boat rope. WTF? How does boat rope prove the husband knows of someone that didn't like his wife?

How about those apples? Game just slapped me in the face. How dare you think the game has to make any sense.
  85. Jul 23, 2012
    When I first started playing this game I thought, "How did I go this long without finding this gem?" But as I continued to play, I realized that the scenarios were basically all the same, just different suspects/crimes, etc mixed in. It follows a very linear style as it is, what I consider to be, "mission driven." With such a large city, I was shocked that you can only explore it whileWhen I first started playing this game I thought, "How did I go this long without finding this gem?" But as I continued to play, I realized that the scenarios were basically all the same, just different suspects/crimes, etc mixed in. It follows a very linear style as it is, what I consider to be, "mission driven." With such a large city, I was shocked that you can only explore it while on a mission/scenario. With the "random" events happening within a scenario which you can choose to do, or skip, it's up to you. It's not as free roaming like GTA. Hopefully a next version will make it a free flowing and working city, that's more open, with the story elements tied in. Overall, a good game, especially if you got it during Steam's Summer sale at $4.99. Expand
  86. Mar 29, 2012
    When the game did run, L.A. Noire for the PC was one of the most enjoyable, and intriguing, video games I've ever played. The problem is, it hardly ran. Rockstar's woefully-terrible DRM methods made trying to get this game to even start almost impossible until the first patch. After that, the loading times, and general stuttering of the game made it unplayable most times. It's reallyWhen the game did run, L.A. Noire for the PC was one of the most enjoyable, and intriguing, video games I've ever played. The problem is, it hardly ran. Rockstar's woefully-terrible DRM methods made trying to get this game to even start almost impossible until the first patch. After that, the loading times, and general stuttering of the game made it unplayable most times. It's really unfortunate, too, because I played a bit of the console version and was just blown away. While the PC version has potential of playing just as well, Rockstar really needs to nail down the performance issues before this game can ever be thoroughly enjoyable. Expand
  87. Dec 3, 2013
    L.A. Noire is solid adventure game overall. Narrative is top-notch, and the overall setting is authentic enough for most of gamers to immerse themselves into this game. I can confidently say that L.A. Noire is just like GTA, but taking place in 1950's Hollywood. This means, that L.A. Noire suffers same shortcomings that GTA has also suffered.

I want to start off with interrogation

I want to start off with interrogation system first, as it is the main focus of the game. Here, you need to find out whether suspect is hiding something or speaking truly by looking at their facial animations. Then, players can choose three options after listening to the suspects you can either believe them, doubt them, or prove them that they are lying. This is where the problems with interrogation sequence kicks in There are no place for player's reasonings to come in. You just choose one of three options, and your avatar Cole Phelps or his sidekick will do come up with all the reasonings. It is fatal flaw for game that focuses heavily on investigations for its gameplay. Rather than feeling like detective in 50s, it feels more like watching detective film. That said, if you buy this game looking for action, you better look for other games.

This is same problem suffered by the GTA series. You'll feel freedom when you're racing through highway with cops on your tail, but there are little to no freedom regarding what you do in in-game missions. In L.A. Noire, whole game is basically an in-game mission of GTA, so there aren't any freedom in it, except maybe running over some innocent citizen with bouquet on their hand. Lack of freedom leads to one conclusion L.A. Noire didn't do well enough to utilize its open world setting. Although there are whole world to explore, after finding few hidden cars and solving emergency dispatch missions, you'll just going to hear lot of "straight through the intersection." You'll find the open world interesting at first, but it will just all come down to boring rollercoaster ride once the amazement has weared off.

The action part of the game is... questionable. Since it is an adventure game that focuses on the investigation, it is normal that the action part cannot compare to other AAA quality TPS games. One might argue that the action part is good enough for games like this, but one might also argue that the developers could've done better job with it. It depends on your perspective really, so there aren't much to say to it. Only problems I've found is that each emergency dispatch missions basically all boils down to "run from point A to point B" or "Shoot all the baddies" or "Smash baddies' car", or "run point A to point B, shoot all the baddies in process and smash baddies' car" so even though there are over 40 emergency dispatch missions, there aren't a lot of incentives to play it unless you want to desperately prolong your playtime of this game.

So, from what I just said, L.A. Noire just looks like a adventure game with questionable action sequence and questionable investigation sequence, but here is a catch this game is heavily narrative driven, and L.A. Noire does supreme job with their narrative. Believable settings, authentic looks and reference to the 50's culture all adds up for great narrative factor. This game feels like watching detective film, but a good one at that. Also, all those flaws I've listed, I didn't notice it until I completed the whole story mode. Each cases in story mode takes almost an hour to complete, and even more if you're looking for all five-star completion. There are many cases to solve in this game. So, what are you waiting for? grab your fedora and detective badge. The case isn't going to solve itself, right?
  88. Jun 13, 2014
    Had this game for about a year and did not play it because my computer could just about handle it at the lowest - made for poor gameplay. Just got a new computer with i7 / 3 gig card and poor performance is gone all the way cranked up - I agree with the low scorers here as the graphics are not the best, even for 2012. However, if you really get into it and try to analyze witness/suspectHad this game for about a year and did not play it because my computer could just about handle it at the lowest - made for poor gameplay. Just got a new computer with i7 / 3 gig card and poor performance is gone all the way cranked up - I agree with the low scorers here as the graphics are not the best, even for 2012. However, if you really get into it and try to analyze witness/suspect correctly you are rewarded with some (very little?) content (and self satisfaction)-and its more than just looking at their facial expressions, you need to look back the clues and even the dialog flow to get it right. Which does make for a slow paced game, more of a puzzle game vs. an action game. Driving / Action Sequences / Shoot Outs are pretty much textbook Rockstar material. IMO its a fun game, showing a lot of originality. if you have a decent computer to get past performance issues, can immerse yourself as a beat cop, detective, homicide cop, etc. to get to the truth, and are not ADD, you will like the game - gave it the anti-troll 10 but is more like an 8 for me. Expand
  89. Aug 5, 2012
    Pros: The storyline is good.
    Cons: The game is REALLY boring. I played it for 23 hours and I can't believe I'm not in the middle of the storyline.
    This game will take forever to finish!!!!!!!
  90. Jan 20, 2012
    If not for Skyrim, the noire obviously would number one in my rankings this year. Although I would put them together in the first place). The original, breakthrough game. Developers have created a great story with dozens of characters and events. Everything is perfect, not counting the schlock in some places with graphics (such as blurred textures in some lanes), but it's easy to closeIf not for Skyrim, the noire obviously would number one in my rankings this year. Although I would put them together in the first place). The original, breakthrough game. Developers have created a great story with dozens of characters and events. Everything is perfect, not counting the schlock in some places with graphics (such as blurred textures in some lanes), but it's easy to close your eyes, and frankly do not care) It is also a very good port on the PC, but is rare. Expand
  91. Jan 24, 2012
    Pretty much just a storytelling game. The extent to which a player actually effects the outcomes is fairly limited. Sure you can pin a murder on x when it was probably y, but... so what. You still slog through the story same as before. As far as graphics and gameplay complaints voiced by others, I did not experience any problems whatsoever. I ran the game on full graphics with minimalPretty much just a storytelling game. The extent to which a player actually effects the outcomes is fairly limited. Sure you can pin a murder on x when it was probably y, but... so what. You still slog through the story same as before. As far as graphics and gameplay complaints voiced by others, I did not experience any problems whatsoever. I ran the game on full graphics with minimal tweaks and did not experience any framerate or crash issues at all. The detail level was fairly impressive. This game will keep you busy for a day or two, but after that, you'll either be finished or bored, and it's replay value is non-existant. Expand
  92. Oct 31, 2013
    This game oozes more class and atmosphere in one case than most games do in their entirety.
    Top notch story, acting, music and production.
    Could of used a little more 'game' content and was a shame not to 'use' more of the huge L.A. map they made.
    One of the best games out there and sincerely hope Rockstar makes a follow-up.
  93. Nov 23, 2014
    It's good. I'm not a huge fan of mystery but this game was well done. I am playing it years after it was released and to me it stands out as a brave attempt at creating a new genre. It has its flaws. At the start it can be bland. 20 hours in I would have liked a better ending to the homicide desk, but yeah it's set in the 40s. The atmosphere is enjoyable as are the characters you'reIt's good. I'm not a huge fan of mystery but this game was well done. I am playing it years after it was released and to me it stands out as a brave attempt at creating a new genre. It has its flaws. At the start it can be bland. 20 hours in I would have liked a better ending to the homicide desk, but yeah it's set in the 40s. The atmosphere is enjoyable as are the characters you're forced to deal with as you progress in your career. The facial animation was groundbreaking but I'm not sure what other type of game could use it to such an extent. Nearly thoroughly enjoyable experience. Expand
  94. Nov 12, 2011
    Bit dull and boring really, story line doesnt get good until half way through. Rockstar would have been better served making Red Dead Redemption for PC rather than this. Feel like I wasted my money on this :( . Not worth £30+ from Steam. Maybe £15, but its certainly not very exciting or fun.
  95. Feb 15, 2013
    This game does some things average,some others very nicely,but it is also bad in other things.
    The PC version is just a console port,so don't expect anything better. Having said that,the facial animations on this game are very good,and I wish more games had that kind of animation quality. But while faces are a leap ahead,I can't say the same about how the rest of the bodies animate. Animation quality isn't on the same level for the whole body and that makes it look awkward sometimes. Sound and music do their job. What is interesting in this game is its story that hooks you up,as it has all the mystery you would expect from a detective's game! While the game's world feel too much like GTA, and car driving and getting around the world is exactly like it is in GTA4,this game has unique gameplay which is nice. I'd wish more games made moves towards innovating gameplay like this game does.
    The game is better played on short sessions,like a mission each time you run it. It's because each mission feels like a different episode of a tv series. Playing the game in large sessions and many missions each time won't feel the same and might get somewhat repeatitive.
    Initially this game got me frustrated because it doesn't follow a standard installation procedure.
    Might take you some extra time to figure out how to make it work,but after that you will be able to enjoy this game. The game has some unnecessary freedom. It contains a whole city for you to roam around, in a size comparable to GTA's cities. The thing is that it doesn't have that much side-missions and things you can do as in GTA games,so there is really not a reason to explore,as the city is empty,and driving around becomes boring after a while,but thankfully there is a fast travel option.
    It's a game that does detective gameplay really good,but other than that nothing ground breaking.
  96. Jan 12, 2012
    LA Noire is not so much a game as it is a work simulator. A clunky restrictive simulator that holds players hostage as they wade through the minutia of pseudo detective work. The dime store narrative and ham acting leave LA Noire with almost no redeeming qualities save for its Steam sale price.
  97. Dec 30, 2011
    The interviews were an interesting concept at 1st but it quickly became boring. The game feels like it doesn't really matter what you do it'll eventually come to an end. I never bothered to finish it because I became saturated by boredom. The driving wasn't all that interesting and the combat scenes were poor at best mostly due to controls.
  98. Jan 11, 2012
    The basic idea of the Game, which is actually solving crimes, is something very rarely seen nowadays. Thats why i liked it so much, it feels like something new. However the mini games are nohting special, but suits into the game style. The motion Capturing thing impresses me a lot, although the rest of the graphics isnt so shiny at all. But it doesnt need to since the story is very great.The basic idea of the Game, which is actually solving crimes, is something very rarely seen nowadays. Thats why i liked it so much, it feels like something new. However the mini games are nohting special, but suits into the game style. The motion Capturing thing impresses me a lot, although the rest of the graphics isnt so shiny at all. But it doesnt need to since the story is very great.
    For those who like story games and solving crimes is that the game u are searching for.
  99. Feb 12, 2013
    This game has the best face animations of characters you can see in a video game, thanks to a newly developed "face mimics motion capturing technology", which belongs to Rockstar Games. Period. Besides that, the story is strong, gameplay is enhanced with so much fun, graphics are mostly stunning, sounds and musics, that mirrors the NOIR theme of that era, is just amazing. Do not hesitateThis game has the best face animations of characters you can see in a video game, thanks to a newly developed "face mimics motion capturing technology", which belongs to Rockstar Games. Period. Besides that, the story is strong, gameplay is enhanced with so much fun, graphics are mostly stunning, sounds and musics, that mirrors the NOIR theme of that era, is just amazing. Do not hesitate on buying this game. The Complete Edition deserves all the praises it receives. Expand
  100. Apr 7, 2013
    Amazing game, loved it, Best detective game i've ever played and ever better, its made by Rockstar Games! This also has some nice graphics and I learned that it is not all that laggy like the GTA IV graphics engine but yes, If you want to be a detective and ask criminals lots of questions then this is your game.

1. Feb 29, 2012
    A unique adventure game that borrows many features from mystery and action games, incorporating them seamlessly in the narrative flow, thus creating a truly special game that not everyone will enjoy. And that's because it has its own character, defying contemporary 'fast food' games that are churned out today and because it's reminiscent of endeavors made in another era, where immersion of an ultimate single-player experience was the first and last goal of their creators.
    Ingenious game merges a classic adventure with sandbox action titles, resourcefully. Playability is not always perfect but overall impression is stunning. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 12, 2012